BLUE STEEL

The Edmonton Oilers have a short term problem and no really good solution available. Justin Schultz didn’t get on the flight to Minneapolis and Griffin Reinhart is not available despite making the trip. I do believe there’s a chance Reinhart draws back in tomorrow night (else he wouldn’t have traveled) but the Oilers appear to be running their business like thoughts don’t occur to people so I’ll play along.

POSSIBLE OPTIONS FOR RECALL

• Nikita Nikitin. He played one game (effectively) over the weekend and would be the easiest and obvious recall for a quick one-game shot. Nikitin can be sent back without much impact on the cap or a promise made.
  • Jordan Oesterle. He’s a possible recall candidate, the Oilers last admin liked him and the man can skate very well. He’s not shooting lights out offensively at this time but we don’t know how much PP time he’s getting either. I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s the recall.
  • Brad Hunt. I know, most posters on this blog don’t like him but Hunt can help on the power play and that’s a portion of the Schultz skill set. Hunt is a chaos blue, no doubt. However, he’s an option.
  • Darnell Nurse. The biggest part of the future of Oilers blue is just six games into his AHL season and showing well. I believe he’ll get a recall for a quick few games (as was the case with Oesterle, Musil and others currently in the system).
  • David Musil. Absolute opposite of Schultz, but he was capable in a look last season and the Oilers may feel he’s the best available option. He’s certainly similar in style to Reinhart, although not his match in terms of speed and passing ability.
  • Joey Laleggia. Like Hunt, the skill set is a reasonable match for Schultz offensively, and Laleggia is 23 so we’re not talking about an extremely young player. He is a first-year pro and doesn’t have draft pedigree, I’d think a recall is unlikely.
  • Martin Gernat. Just back in action after a long layoff, and was part of the infamous ‘sweathogs’ who apparently didn’t follow the instructions on the can and arrived in less than stellar condition fall 2014.

It’s also possible (maybe probable) the Oilers run with Brandon Davidson and Andrew Ference in place of Schultz and Reinhart. I am convinced, and have been for some time, that Darnell Nurse is by far the most qualified candidate and this is an appropriate time to bring him up. The one nagging detail: Nurse’s skills aren’t an ideal match for what Schultz brings and the number of minutes he plays are not a good entry point for any prospect coming in to a struggling team. Nikita Nikitin is the likely callup, although for me Reinhart’s presence on the team in Minneapolis is a tell. We wait.

109 Responses to "BLUE STEEL"

1. regwald says:

Nurse recalled as per Oilers twitter

2. OF17 says:

Damn. I was hoping they’d leave him down there until he showed some offense.

3. delooper says:

Interesting. Hoping for the best… expecting the usual.

4. Brad says:

How fast can an “I TOLD YOU SO” post RE Nurse be written? Heh, just kidding LT 😀
    Very excited to see Darnell tomorrow. I don’t think he plays another AHL game in his life.

5. AsiaOil says:

Maybe the way we do this is have GR and Nurse each play half the games on the 3rd pair with Gryba this season to break them in at the same time. Nothing else seems to make sense. That would only leave the #4 slot currently occupied by Shultz as an obvious weak link – and that will need a trade to address – hello Jared Sprgeon or Larsson type.

6. blainer says:

Finally the right call. Now DO NOT play him with the black hole Ference.. Play him with Fayne and hopefully he will keep it simple..

Jultz’s injury may turn out to be a blessing in disguise..

Play Klef on the PP and give him Jultz’s minutes..

7. Halfwise says:

I wonder whether TFCAF got one of Todd’s fireside chats after the Washington game. He’s on the roster, available and healthy, and yet Nurse gets called up.

Has an active NHL roster player ever retired in mid-season? CAN a player retire in mid-season? (Asking for a friend).

8. Melman says:

LT there is one glaring omission from your list that can only be answered by solving one of the universe’s greatest riddle: Why do you hate Smid?

A simple trade with our friends down south would solve all of the back end issues.

9. spoiler says:

Part of the press release announcing the Nurse is recall is this:

The Oilers also announced they have placed defenceman Griffin Reinhart on injured reserve.

Rookie for a rookie, I am totally okay with that.

10. voxwah says:

Trade Ference for Smid!

Do it, or not… maybe…not sure….

Who’s Smid, and why does LT hate him so much?

11. Melman says:

If Nurse is on his way up – perhaps as insurance in case GR can’t go – and he plays, does give us:

Klef – Sekera
    Nurse – Fayne
    Davidson – Gryba

Not an easy time to be TFCAF. By all accounts he seems like a great guy and puts his heart into the community. I get the hefty salary eases the pain somewhat, but it has to be tough.

12. Zelepukin says:

Melman:

Klef – Sekera
    Nurse – Fayne
    Davidson – Gryba

Not an easy time to be TFCAF.By all accounts he seems like a great guy and puts his heart into the community.I get the hefty salary eases the pain somewhat, but it has to be tough.

He is on IR. It’s in the same tweet.

13. slopitch says:

Well I was hoping they’d be able to wait 20 games on Nurse. Oh well. On with the show!

Klef-Sekera
    Fayne-Nurse
    Gryba-Davidson-Ference

Man that bottom pairing…

14. AsiaOil says:

Having 3 rookies is an almost impossible situation – plus TACAF who is playing worse than a rookie – and Shultz having his rookie season for the 4th consecutive year. Plus Nikitin in the AHL.

That is 6 dmen on the roster who need to be sheltered or bad things happen – just think about that for a second – and then write MacT a thank you note.

15. AsiaOil says:

Was Davidson playing left side last night? Only time I noticed him last night was when he got plyloned off the left side – and I can’t remember which side he played on the rest of the time.

16. spoiler says:

My guess is that with Reinhart out and presumably Nurse subbed into his spot, that Davidson will not play, and Ference will draw in:

Klef-Sekera
    Nurse-Fayne
    Ference-Gryba

17. Pouzar says:

WOOOOOT!!!

18. Centre of attention says:

So I heard the Oilers called some guy up? Never heard of him, is he any good? Someone fill me in because I’m clearly missing what everyones excited about LOL.

19. spoiler says:

“Justin’s made strides for us all throughout training camp. He had a little bit of a setback against Washington, but real good strides, his game is improving defensively. He’s trying to figure out the offensive part of it, but I think he’s an important piece to our success now, our potential success now and moving forward. We’d like to see him healthy and get back as quick as possible.”

Todd McLellan in today’s presser.

20. Centre of attention says:

Also Mike Murphy the Senior VP of Hockey Ops for the NHL admits the situation room in Toronto had views of the McDavid goal that appeared to show it was in. However, they deemed it inconclusive and defaulted back to the call on the ice, which was apparently no goal. How ever watching the moment again, the ref clearly points at the net signaling a goal, only to double back and wave it off a couple seconds later.

Shenanigans!

21. AsiaOil says:

AKA – maintain asset value prior to inevitable trade…..

spoiler:
    “Justin’s made strides for us all throughout training camp.He had a little bit of a setback against Washington, but real good strides, his game is improving defensively. He’s trying to figure out the offensive part of it, but I think he’s an important piece to our success now, our potential success now and moving forward.We’d like to see him healthy and get back as quick as possible.”

Todd McLellan in today’s presser.

22. Магия 10 says:

spoiler:
    Part of the press release announcing the Nurse is recall is this:

Rookie for a rookie, I am totally okay with that.

IR has to be 7 days total but it can be retroactive right?
    They said they would wait on Schultz’s medical assessment. I’m wondering if it was not good and JS goes on Wed. and GR comes off.

Brad:
    How fast can an “I TOLD YOU SO” post RE Nurse be written? Heh, just kidding LT ?

Haha. Naw. Not my style and Nurse is a guy we all like a lot, so it’s not unusual to have disagreements about developing him. It could very well be a quick one and out as well, depending on Schultz and what happens tomorrow night. Facing the Habs is a tall order, might be one and done (and he may not dress, although it seems probable he will).

AsiaOil:
    AKA – maintain asset value prior to inevitable trade…..

25. spoiler says:

Магия 10: IR has to be 7 days total but it can be retroactive right?

Yes, must miss a total of 7 days straight, whenever they began, is my understanding too.

26. Brad says:

Agreed it could be one and out, but I just have a veerrryyy hard time seeing McLellan letting Chiarelli take Nurse away from him once it becomes painfully clear that he is among the top 6 (and likely 4) defensemen in the organization.

27. spoiler says:

Lowetide: I agree with this. For me, Chiarelli isn’t tipping his hand but there’s a change in the weather.

We have a sign from Chiarelli that things are different now?

Bill Matheson always called bad weather “darkling shadows on the horizon” and then would rap the base of his pointer on the floor, but I haven’t seen or heard anything like that from the Oilers head office. I could easily have missed an interview though.

28. spoiler says:

Brad:

Hasn’t McLellan already allowed this to happen once? At the end of Training Camp, I mean.

I’m thinking they would have made that decision together, no?

There’s a plan; the bastards just aren’t telling us what it is.

29. ruotsalainen says:

Wow. Now there’s a throw back. I haven’t heard or recalled Bill Matheson for many, many years now, but thanks for bringing him up Spoiler. ITV back in the day sure was something. Probably a dumb question but anyone remember Sportsnight with Dutchyshen and Solkowski?

30. spoiler says:

ruotsalainen,

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Bill.

Solkowski… is there a New Sarepta joke in there somewhere? lol

31. russ99 says:

spoiler:

Todd McLellan in today’s presser.

More like we’re going to give him a good long look to see what we have.

He still has a skillset that nobody else on the roster has.

Sometimes you guys are ridiculous, Poti all over again…

That said, going to be interesting to see what Nurse can do, hope he does well, could go a long way towards fixing that bottom pairing.

32. ruotsalainen says:

spoiler,

HA!

33. Water Fire says:

Because McDavid

34. spoiler says:

russ99: More like we’re going to give him a good long look to see what we have.
    He still has a skillset that nobody else on the roster has.

I think this is the case too.

Next off-season is likely to be the most dangerous time to be Justin Schultz.

I think the Braintrust wants to see what McLellan and his coaches can teach him this year.

spoiler: We have a sign from Chiarelli that things are different now?

Bill Matheson always called bad weather “darkling shadows on the horizon” and then would rap the base of his pointer on the floor, but I haven’t seen or heard anything like that from the Oilers head office.I could easily have missed an interview though.

MacT on Schultz: “I know he’s going to be a player that can be counted on in both ends. I think that Justin has Norris Trophy potential and I don’t think there are too many people who disagree with me in that regard.

Chiarelli on Schultz in September: “It’s about defending, about being the proper position and if you’re not strong enough to defend, let’s talk about positional defending, stick defending. He has to get better at that.”

I’d list that as change in the weather.

36. spoiler says:

Oh for sure the entire head office changing is a change in weather. Fresh winds blowing down the corridors of power… And that new perspective is true for all the players.

But since then the new coach has proceeded to play him just as much as all the past coaches, other than the bad game TMac already noted against Washington.

And that comment from Chia also applies to seeing what TMac can do with him.

Not saying Chia won’t trade Schultz. Anything can happen especially if the right deal comes along. But I haven’t seen any signs this is an active plan, other than the calls from commenters here (and other blogs).

37. Ice Sage says:

One of these sorties, it’s going to all click in for Darnell – why not now? Minnesota is a good entry point.

spoiler:

Oh for sure the entire head office changing is a change in weather.Fresh winds blowing down the corridors of power…

And that new perspective is true for all the players.

And that comment from Chia also applies to seeing what TMac can do with him.

Not saying Chia won’t trade Schultz.Anything can happen especially if the right deal comes along.But I haven’t seen any signs this is an active plan, other than the calls fro commenters here (and other blogs).

Ah, yes. Correct. I do think Schultz has improved this year defensively, and it’s natural for the offense to suffer with his increased defensive work. Hopefully he finds a way.

39. spoiler says:

Agreed and me too.

I don’t think Chia has an especially itchy trigger finger right now. Like I said a couple of days ago it’s difficult to assess what one has in players when managing the game and trust is so inconsistent. Because its like dominoes falling and its tough to identify the proximate causes.

I though the game against LA was a good microcosm of this. EVERYBODY played better and smarter in the 3rd period. They ALL played like crap in the 2nd, most of which Schultz missed. I don’t think Schultz was the difference between the 2nd period team and the 3rd period team but there has been some narrative here from various people that this is the case.

I doubt TMac sees it that way either.

40. Dicky94 says:

It’s a good day! I was so scared they would recall Nikky and I would throw up in my mouth. Nurse will never see the AHL again.

Halfwise:

Even if they plan to play Ference in MIN its smart to recall another Dman in case someone gets dinged in the game day skate, pre-game skate, eats bad sushi etc.

You don’t want to only have 6 Dmen available for a game.

42. Centre of attention says:

Speaking of defending positionally…

Were here bickering about Schultz, check out this beauty play by Engelland [its not beautiful]

Halfwise:

If Nurse & Davidson play tomorrow while Ference sits, it may instill some wonderlust in the formercaptain’s soul.

He may start asking to be moved or his agent may ask for permission to try and find a trade.

These things happen.

spoiler,

He has to play in the top 4 as he is one of the 4 best Dmen on the roster.

What does an active plan to trade look like?

My guess is that it would involve lots of minutes.

Not saying they are planning to trade him (I don’t think anything big happens until the summer), but honestly trying to think “what a plan to trade someone” looks like.

Gillis once boasted of the pump n dump on Hodgson.

Woodguy: If Nurse & Davidson play tomorrow while Ference sits, it may still some wonderlust in the formercaptain’s soul.

These things happen.

I picture WG breaking into churches in order to light candles.

46. Pouzar says:

These things happen.

47. John Chambers says:

Sekara – Fayne
    Nurse. – Klefbom
    Davidson – Gryba

These may actually be the best six defensemen in the system. If the Oilers start winning maybe that’s the end we see of Schultz.

Lowetide: I picture WG breaking into churches in order to light candles.

The guy at the desk of the Christian Science reading room kicked me out.

49. Halfwise says:

Steve Smith Sr playing tonight for the Ravens. That makes his son much younger than I had figured.

John Chambers:
    Sekara – Fayne
    Nurse. – Klefbom
    Davidson – Gryba

I don’t like Schultz’ game at all, but I play him ahead of Davidson and Gryba.

Probably.

Davidson for sure.

51. Pouzar says:

Gregor:

“It sounds like Jordan Eberle is hoping to start skating with the team next week. They are looking at a possible return sometime after he has a few hard skates. His exact return date will depend on how the shoulder handles contact in practice. It sounds like November 10th to 15th could be reasonable.”

52. Pouzar says:

Adrian Dater ‏@adater 6m6 minutes ago
    Flames calling around NHL trying to unload Dennis Wideman. But two years, $11 million left on contract makes him tough to move at 32

53. Centre of attention says:

Pouzar,

This is how I would draw it up. I’m sure Todd has other ideas, but this uses pretty sound logic:

Sekera-Klefbom [PowerPlay + Ozone push]
    Nurse-Gryba [even strength/PK push]
    Davidson-Fayne [cleanup]

I could live with this, for now. Logically Rienhart slots in where Davidson is upon return. Schultz on the other hand, I’m less certain about.

I have a feeling Klef-Sekera gains traction pretty quickly [right LT?] Nurse and Gryba will put the fear of god in the opposition, and Davidson/Rienhart-Fayne could pick up the left overs with relative ease.

Can you imagine being an opposition player fishing the puck out of the corner, knowing Nurse and/or Gryba could crush you from behind at any moment? Thats what I would define as “push back”

ruotsalainen:

Best TV meteorologist ever.

Loved him.

RIP Bill.

55. böök¡je says:

spoiler:

Unlike the other past coaches, he doesn’t have Petry sitting in a pressbox and Marincin in the minors

56. Sugar Reijo says:

Flames lose 4-0. Hamilton -3 on the night. At -11 is now 644th in NHL in plus minus ahead of only his partner Kris Russell.

57. John Chambers says:

Woodguy,

Either way it’s a look at life after Justin Schultz. As a $4M+ player next season, it’s a good angle for Chia to look at the team and see how they fare with a bigger, stronger defense.

Lot of young tall trees.

58. John Chambers says:

Sugar Reijo:

That’s some kind of fuckin karma

59. Samson Loveblast says:

The Flames have been embarrassed 2 nights in a row over east now.

60. spoiler says:

Lowetide: I picture WG breaking into churches in order to light candles.

That is one beauty of a line.

61. Halfwise says:

Sugar Reijo:
    Flames lose 4-0. Hamilton -3 on the night. Is now 644th in NHL in plus minus ahead of only his partner Kris Russell.

Well just to help them out, would you offer them Jultz and NN for Hamilton and Wideman?

62. spoiler says:

Pouzar: Man if Nurse is asked to carry around Ference’s carcass tomorrow….you know….puppies………

That would be so utterly unfair to the kid, but I think they ask Sekera to play the right side rather than the rookie or the senior citizen.

63. Wonder Llama says:

The phrase that will always stay with me: “That most dreaded of all meteorological phenomena, the Siberian high.”

64. leadfarmer says:

Sugar Reijo,

And he was playing third line minutes. Yesterday he was also minus 2. I know it’s early but we may have lucked out by not getting him

65. LadiesloveSmid says:

I would hope Reinhart and Nurse would be playing above Ference, at least once Reinhart is back.

Klefbom-Sekera
    Nurse-Gryba
    Reinhart-Fayne

boy they need a #1 or #2RD

66. LadiesloveSmid says:

Asked this yesterday, don’t think anyone responded.

Can CGY send Bennett back to Kingston without burning an ELC year now? Or is that not possible since they used the first year.

John Chambers:
    Woodguy,

Lot of young tall trees.

FWIW I don’t think he’s a Chia type player.

Nothing to do with size

Everything to do with gumption and grit.

68. SK Oiler Fan says:

Shultz is not a good match for what Shultz is being paid to do. Bring up Darnell for a couple games. Team could use a shot of energy and nastiness.

69. sliderule says:

I think the oilers have to play more of the game in the offensive zone.

I am no coach but it seems to me that’s at least as much or more on the forwards as the defence.

The oiler lines other than their top two can’t seem to hold the zone and maintain a cycle.

Is there too much blame put on defenceman rather than total team quality.

Pouzar:
    Adrian Dater ‏@adater6m6 minutes ago

But many of the Flames fans told me he was going to shoot 8.7% forever!?!?!?!?!

71. mattwatt says:

Woodguy,

Best Matheson line was “if I was any better, I would be a retired Tory MLA.” Man was he good.

As a 31 year old male, a highlight of my life still remains calling into his radio show as an 8 year-old and asking him a question, and then arguing with him that my brother said he drove under a rainbow and it was true because my brother told me so. This memory still brings a smile to me.

RIP indeed Bill.

72. Alpine says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Asked this yesterday, don’t think anyone responded.

I think they should be able to avoid burning another year (STL did it with Pietrangelo twice), but not sure how his playoff appearances would affect that (11 GP last spring).

73. spoiler says:

Woodguy: He has to play in the top 4 as he is one of the 4 best Dmen on the roster.

Yes, he does. And, he leads the team in total ice time per game.

Woodguy: Gillis once boasted of the pump n dump on Hodgson.

While this may be the case in this particular instance, I’m leery of applying Gillis’s comments to every case as if it’s a broad rule.

The PK time in particular is surprising, plus it doesn’t look to me like he’s gone out of his way to serve him gravy minutes.

I’m actually impressed with how far McLellan has gotten Schultz this fast. If he can get him playing like the good Schultz then we have the double goodness of a more useful player and an asset with more value.

And that comes to my last sign why I think a trade isn’t impending. All Chia’s trade value is diminished by the team record.

That said, there’s no doubt this head office is far less gregarious than Motormouth MacTavish–ironic considering his Burke fire hydrant comments.

But no, I certainly don’t expect them to come out and say “yes, we’re looking to improve our defense.”

LadiesloveSmid:
    Asked this yesterday, don’t think anyone responded.

My guess is that since they already burned a year, they’ll burn another ELC regardless.

However, like DrySaddle they could save a RFA year by not having him in the NHL all year.

DrySaddle burned a ELC year, but not a RFA year last year.

The Oilers still have 7 RFA years of DrySaddle, but only 2 of them are ELC now.

75. khildahl says:

sliderule:
    I think the oilers have to play more of the game in the offensive zone.

Is theretoo much blame put on defenceman rather than total team quality.

It’s pretty easy for the other team to break up a cycle when the forwards don’t have D they can use to keep it alive.

Every time the puck goes to the blue line one of the following happens:
    A) It goes by the d-man and play leaves the zone.
    B) It gets shot into a defender and play leaves the zone.
    C) It miraculously misses all defenders, but hits an Oiler, then play leaves the zone.
    D) It miraculously misses all defenders and all Oilers, but also the net. Play leaves the zone.

spoiler,

Yeah, I think they’ll give him every chance to prove himself because given the roster its the right thing to do.

I don’t thin he’ll pass though.

Since he’s at $3.9MM I don’t see him agreeing to an extension under $6MM and there is no way he’s worth that.

I heard a rumour that his camp turned down 6 years at $5.5 from MacT in summer of 2014.

If that’s true, its another near miss.

I bet Schultz will regret turning it down.

77. flyfish1168 says:

Woodguy: But many of the Flames fans told me he was going to shoot 8.7% forever!?!?!?!?!

I watched a few phlegm games and I say the problem is hamilton not wediman

hamilton 1 point -8 wediman 5 pts -3

I would love to see hamilton keep that average up with a – every game. I keep hearing from phlegm fans about Yak

78. dangilitis says:

flyfish1168: I wanted a few phlegm games and I say the problem is hamilton not wediman

hamilton 1 point -8 wediman 5 pts -3

If I am correct he is now -11

79. flyfish1168 says:

dangilitis: If I am correct he is now -11

even better

80. dangilitis says:

It somewhat pleases me to know that:
    1) People will soon say – “hey, didn’t Max’s father play in the NHL?” (much to the chagrin of every Leafs fan, ever)
    2) Dougie Hamilton is not a franchise altering D-man. He will recover, but he’s not Giordano, and it turns out Giordano is not Brodie. Russell may not be a 2nd line D, no one wants Widemann, and Smid and Engelland, back again. I don’t think Oilers fans could have asked for more
    3) Flames’ shooting % so far vs. last season:
    – Gaudreau 6.7 v. 14.4
    – Monahan 15.4 v. 16.2
    – Hudler 14.3 v. 19.6
    This only works out to a difference of 2.4 goals. So that’s not even the problem…

81. Sugar Reijo says:

dangilitis: If I am correct he is now -11

-11 is correct. On pace for a -100 season.

82. Johnny skid says:

i’ve been watching the duck blackhawks game and it is sobering to see how far the oilers have to go to become competitive. nurse in time will help close the gap.

83. JDï™ says:

dangilitis,

Just caught the Flames spts highlights. Too bad they got shut out.

Ortio looked pretty bad. He sucked. Fellortio.

84. flyfish1168 says:

Toews 2nd game winner in a row in o/t.

He would look good in Oiler silks

dangilitis:

3) Flames’ shooting % so far vs. last season:
    – Gaudreau 6.7 v. 14.4
    – Monahan 15.4 v. 16.2
    – Hudler 14.3 v. 19.6

Wideman 0% vs. 8.7%
    Bouman 0% vs. 15.4%
    Stajan 0% vs. 15.2%
    Jooris 0% vs. 13.5%
    Granland 0% vs 12.3%
    Backland 5.6% vs. 9.7%

These might be an issue.

86. "Steve Smith" says:

I just made a bet with a Hawks fan colleague about who, as between McDavid and Panarin, scores at a higher points per game clip this year (each player must play at least 52 games for the bet to vest). No idea if that was smart or not, but his statement that it’s a greater adjustment to go from the KHL to the NHL than from the OHL to the NHL demanded a cash response of some kind.

“Steve Smith”:
    I just made a bet with a Hawks fan colleague about who, as between McDavid and Panarin, scores at a higher points per game clip this year (each player must play at least 52 games for the bet to vest).No idea if that was smart or not, but his statement that it’s a greater adjustment to go from the KHL to the NHL than from the OHL to the NHL demanded a cash response of some kind.

Its a good bet.

Panarin will put up some number because he’s getting similar opponents that McDavid is and is playing with Kane and Anisimov.

McDavid doesn’t have that good of linemates, but Yak and Pou are doing well with him.

I expect they’ll be close until about game 25 and then McDavid will pull away like…..like…..McDavid pulling away from Muzzin last night.

You’re right that his comment demanded you make money from it.

Well played.

88. "Steve Smith" says:

Woodguy: Its a good bet.

I don’t know – I just had a closer look at Panarin’s KHL numbers. They’re, um, good. Of course, McDavid’s OHL numbers are better, and he should be able to carry over more of that offence to the NHL, so I should be fine.

89. Kitchener says:

Injuries sped Nurse’s return to the NHL by 5-10 games by my estimate, but not more. The Brass needed a few games to let the turds float or sink to the bottom amongst the bottom 5D (of 8) and that gravitational sorting is much further along than it was when Nurse flew to Bakersfield.

Gordspeed Mr. Nurse. Welcome to the NHL. Beat the hell out of everyone not wearing jerseys the color of Ryan Smyth’s heart.

“Steve Smith”: I don’t know – I just had a closer look at Panarin’s KHL numbers.They’re, um, good.Of course, McDavid’s OHL numbers are better, and he should be able to carry over more of that offence to the NHL, so I should be fine.

Panarin is NOTHING!

91. Hockey Buddha says:

Clearly, bringing Nurse up is an organization move to appease Lowetide.

92. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: LadiesloveSmid:
    Asked this yesterday, don’t think anyone responded.

DrySaddle burned a ELC year, but not a RFA year last year.

The Oilers still have 7 RFA years of DrySaddle, but only 2 of them are ELC now.

That’s correct.

Clock started last April when they dressed him for those playoff games.

All they could do now is send him back, as WG noted, a la Draisaitl and roll back his RFA status by a year – maybe.

That year lost to injury has been a big factor.

He could come back and be Gilmour 2.0. Or he could become Brule 2.0. We don’t know and only time will tell.

93. jake70 says:

Woodguy:
    spoiler,

If that’s true, its another near miss.

This is a mistake right…right…..it should read he asked for and not turned down that money…right?

94. Bank Shot says:

sliderule:
    I think the oilers have to play more of the game in the offensive zone.

Is theretoo much blame put on defenceman rather than total team quality.

That’s a part of it for sure. The D are bad but the Oilers are also lacking in quality bottom sixers.

Lander, Klinkhammer, Hendricks, Purcell, Gazdic, Korpikoski, are all 4th liners or press box material on a good team.

95. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: Wideman 0% vs. 8.7%
    Bouman 0% vs. 15.4%
    Stajan 0% vs. 15.2%
    Jooris 0% vs. 13.5%
    Granland 0% vs 12.3%
    Backland 5.6% vs. 9.7%

These might be an issue.

I said in the RE I did that the Flames had some good players in the top six but that they needed the rest of the forwards to get going and we going to rely heavily again on the defense to contribute in order to provide the offense.

The principal retort was that their bottom six players and defense had contributed at such a level last year that there was no way they could regress that significantly that it would become a crippling problem.

We’re only 9 games in (9 very long games for Flames fans, I’ll grant you) but thus far I’m seeing some early indications this was the right call.

96. jp says:

Melman:

Klef – Sekera
    Nurse – Fayne
    Davidson – Gryba

I’m curious why EVERYONE tonight has Klefbom-Sekera together in their projected lineups. Were they a pair in practice today? (didn’t have time to read the morning thread comments so I might have missed it, though I didn’t see anything on the Oilers site).

I’d have thought we’d see:
    Sekera-Fayne
    Klefbom-Gryba
    Nurse-Ference (or Davidson)

Sekera-Fayne have been quite good lately, why split them up? And Gryba is playing top 4 EV minutes already, so why not actually put him with a top 4 partner?

97. RexLibris says:

Just getting caught up on the Flames game tonight.

Some fan believe the Bruins fleeced them on the Hamilton deal.

Wow. Times have changed. It’s a wonder more sports fans don’t suffer from whiplash.

Last time I saw this kind of rhetoric about a defender there was Bouwmeester.

98. FinnOil says:

Sugar Reijo:

Well at least he wasn’t on the ice for all Isles goals… because he was in the penalty box when they scored the first one.

99. v4ance says:

FinnOil,

Hamilton is smarter than we thought! Perfect way to avoid another minus is to be in the box!

100. PhrankLee says:

Well I’ve heard enough of the damn Flames on Lowetide for the day and it’s 730 am.

Fuck the Flames.

It can’t be more satisfying to point out the shortcomings of Brian Burke’s Flames than discussing the future of Chia’s Oilers. Can it? Schadenfreude, is it?

I cant wait for MacT or his influence to fade/phase out entirely. He is such a polarizing factor and, for me, a really bad memory of honest hopes dashed all over the damn place. Mine, yours and many players.

Nobody had higher hopes than I did that MacT was anointed to take us to the promised land.

101. Kmart99 says:

I’m curious to see where they slot Nurse in the line up. On one hand I’d want to ease him in and avoid throwing him to the wolves. On the other hand I wouldn’t want him playing with Ference or Davidson. I mean, I don’t want Ference playing with anybody but what can you do.

I wonder if Nurse sees time with Gryba or Fayne. Me thinks a Nurse – Gryba pairing could do some damage, literally. I don’t hope for injuries on anyone….. Wait, yes I do. Kill em Darnell.

Defensively, when Nurse plays like he did at the WJC, he is a definite upgrade in Schultz, Davidson, Gryba,Ference IMO. Hell, his shutdown game could easily be better than Fayne’s if that’s what he focuses on.

I wanted a little more time in Bakersfield for his offense to round out, but this call up should increase the Oil’s chances of winning.

102. jm363561 says:

Sugar Reijo:
    =========
    This is either (i) Hamilton is overrated, or (ii) growing into a new system and / or Flame meltdown. If (i) hell of a misjudgement by PChia.

103. Pouzar says:

Kmart99,

Well if he’s paired with Gryba he’s getting big minutes no?!?!?!

104. Halfwise says:

Pouzar:
    Kmart99,

Well if he’s paired with Gryba he’s getting big minutes no?!?!?!

The Grab a Nurse pair is going to cause some sniggers.

105. TheGreatMcMutato says:

Woodguy,

No doubt. I spent much of my childhood in fear of THE DREADED SIBEEEERIAN HIIIIGH.

For nostalgia:

106. rickithebear says:

PhrankLee: I cant wait for MacT or his influence to fade/phase out entirely

Are you on Crack!

Why would you want to get rid of Mcdavid: Nurse; Yakimov; Slepyshev; Draisatl; Hendricks; Betker; Broissoit or Talbot?

107. Ribs says:

mattwatt:
    Woodguy,

RIP indeed Bill.

That’s a great story!

I remember as a kid everyone gathering around the TV when he came on, all with stupid giddy grins on our faces. He definitely made something as mundane as the daily weather forecast sure seem pretty interesting!

108. "Steve Smith" says:

rickithebear: Are you on Crack!

Yes, Ricki, that is correct: to want to end MacTavish’s influence over the team is to want to get rid of Connor McDavid. Thank you for making that salient and compelling point; we are all richer for it.

(Also, Talbot? Should I even ask?)