THE SONGS OF BAKERSFIELD

The job of an AHL team is to take graduating juniors, college men and reclamation projects and grind them into useful role players. That’s it, that’s all. AHL teams don’t really develop Oscar Klefbom, Darnell Nurse or Leon Draisaitl, those folks are just passing through. The real job of Gerry Fleming and his crew in Bakersfield is to help Jujhar Khaira find more offense, Josh Winquist to find an extra foot of speed, Joey Laleggia to know when to hold ’em and when to fold ’em. Is our children learning?

1. D Brad Hunt 7GP, 2-7-9. Chaos incorporated increases offense for both sides more than the goal pads of yore. CHL Stats (which is going to be quoted liberally, check out their fine work here) estimates his even-strength points-per-60 (represented as /60 for the rest of this article) at 0.57/60. That means he’s helping a lot on the power play. The Oilers need a shot from the point but if they haven’t made a call yet, one wonders if Hunt sees the NHL this year.
  2. R Matt Ford 7GP, 3-3-6. Veteran AHL winger hasn’t seen the NHL and may not, but he’s showing well in the minors again. He is at 1.14/60 so far and Edmonton has been down a winger from opening night, suspect a recall might not be in his future.
  3. C-R Andrew Miller 7GP, 2-4-6. He has been up for a game already, although the quick demotion doesn’t exactly herald a strong future under the new admin. Miller’s speed is an attractive weapon and he’s absolutely a talented AHL man. His 2.03/60 is the best among players who have competed in all seven games for Bakersfield this season.
  4. L Josh Winquist 4GP, 2-2-4. He’s 3.56/60 and that’s the best estimate in the group so far this season—remember this is even strength. I think Winquist has an extra job that none of the signed prospects has: He has to learn at the pro level and prove he’s worth an NHL contract. As was the case one year ago, the young man appears up to the challenge.
  5. C Jujhar Khaira 7GP, 1-3-4. This is an interesting development. No one questions his size or edge, but the offense has always been on the down low. At 2.03/60 estimate, we may be seeing an emerging prospect. Definite bottom six F I’d guess, you know the Habs always found a way for these guys to score enough goals. Wish we knew their secret.
  6. L Ryan Hamilton 6GP, 3-0-3. I imagine Todd McLellan and Peter Chiarelli stressed a need for improved speed throughout the pro roster and that single thing may keep him from the NHL this year. Just 1.04/60 estimated even-strength this year.
  7. R Iiro Pakarinen 4GP, 1-2-3. He’s in the NHL now, I was disappointed McLellan didn’t get to see him in TC. It’s an uphill climb now, Leon and Slepy cloud the view, but there’s a chance for him and that’s all any Pakarinen can ask for in a season. His 2.13/60 estimate is No. 2 among all Condors, behind Winquist.
  8. C Phil McRae, 7GP, 2-0-2. A big forward, don’t really know how well he skates but a quick surge in offense probably puts him into the recall conversation. He’s 0.91/60 ES estimate, so the bat needs to get hot for him to get noticed, but he can play center or wing and the Oilers 3 and 4 lines are trash.
  9. C Leon Draisaitl 6GP, 1-1-2. A quiet start to the year had fans worried, but his 3-2-5 start in the major leagues has calmed the sphincters. Just 0.82/60 in the minors at even strength, I think it’s possible our friendly giant spent a day or two moping in California. No harm, he’s human. And he’s in the NHL.
  10. L Mitch Moroz 7GP, 1-1-2. As the rules of the game change, it’s very important for Moroz to improve his skills, and that means passing, taking a pass and posting crooked boxcars. He’s 1.14/60 estimate, meaning Khaira has an early-season lead on him but the gap isn’t enormous. I’d be interested in reading those in-house reports on him, I think the Oilers like Moroz and he is absolutely a Chiarelli-type player. Doubt he sees the NHL for more than a cup of coffee (if that) this season.
  11. C Bogdan Yakimov 7GP, 1-1-2. Big man getting left behind a little by the Draisaitl’s presence and the progress of others, but we should remember how little of the schedule has been played. CHL Stats estimated 1.14/60 and if we’re honest there is more rumbling about Khaira so far this year. May not see the big lights, big city this season.
  12. D Nikita Nikitin 2GP, 0-2-2. Hey Nikita is it cold, in your little corner of the world? Credit to him, doesn’t look like there’s much pouting going on. As has been the case so many times over these barren years, the replacements are no better than the rejects. We could see him again. 0.0/60.
  13. D Jordan Oesterle 7GP, 0-2-2. Speed is his calling card and I imagine we could see him again this year—although the presence of Reinhart, Nurse and Davidson on the NHL roster makes it a long shot currently. His CHL EV estimate of 0.57 is among the higher totals among the blue.
  14. C-R Kyle Platzer 7GP, 0-2-2. I think he got the push over Chase because of his two-way ability and disciplined play. Platzer is not a strong recall option and may not be at any point this season, but he’s a pretty good prospect. His CHL stats estimate is 1.52/60, a solid early total for a first year man.
  15. L Kale Kessy 5GP, 1-0-1. Big man who I see as being prime competition for Moroz in the ‘future Gazdic’ role. That job is likely going to require more offense and hockey ability, so Kessy needs to show well. So far, he’s 1.80/60 CHL estimate, we’ll see if there’s some sustain. He could get a cup of coffee.
  16. D Darnell Nurse 6GP, 0-1-1. Another man in the NHL after a brief detour, he has three games under his belt in the NHL and is playing a lot. We’ll see, no guarantee he won’t see the AHL again. His 0.75/60 estimate ranks No. 1 among Condors D so far this year.
  17. L Braden Christoffer 7GP, 0-1-1. I think the Oilers see him as a possible ‘future Hendricks’ but we’ll need to see him survive the rigors of AHL play (he’s 5.10, 190) to know if durability is part of his skill set. His 0.51/60 even-strength estimate is now but early days. I think he gets a call sometime this year.
  18. D Joey Laleggia 7GP, 0-1-1. Skill blue doesn’t seem to be getting a lot of PP time, which is galling if Brad Hunt is getting all the time (and he is, apparently). Joey Leggs 0.51/60 is pretty much identical to Hunt’s so the point gap is all special teams. Got a paper recall, seems a distant bell he’ll get a real one this year.
  19. G Laurent Brossoit 5GP, 2.96 .912. Easily the best goalie so far in Bakersfield, he was .918SP a year ago so slightly off (a couple of wobbly outings). I think he’s a strong candidate to get some NHL time at some point this season.
  20. G Ben Scrivens 1GP, 5.03 .848. I’m confident he’ll play in the NHL again, but it’s going to be a little while. Unless a team comes knocking, Scrivens isn’t a prime recall player.
  21. G Eetu Laurikainen 1GP, 4.02 .818. Not a lot to go on, we hope for the best.

David Musil, Martin Gernat, Tyler Pitlick (injured) and Nick Pageau have not yet registered a point. Among these prospects, Musil and Pitlick have a non-zero chance of being recalled.

TOTAL RECALL

By my estimate, these are (in order of most to least) the players we’ll likely see in the coming months:

1. G Laurent Brossoit
  2. C Jujhar Khaira
  3. D Nikita Nikitin
  4. C Bogdan Yakimov
  5. L Braden Christoffer
  6. R Andrew Miller (again)
  7. G Ben Scrivens

Condors play this afternoon, I’ll update as we go.

65 Responses to "THE SONGS OF BAKERSFIELD"

1. ruotsalainen says:

Very intrigued by Khaira so far this year.

Always liked him as a prospect, but up until this year there has been little to no offence. Will be interesting to follow him this year along with Moroz as I think they are both in competition for the same role.

I’ll admit I have only watched a game and a half so others, namely Pouzar could comment more as to what has or hasn’t changed in Khaira’s game. More of a push? Line mates?

FORWARDS:
    Hamilton – Miller – Ford
    Winquist – Yakimov – Platzer
    Kessy- Khaira – McRae
    Moroz – Loiseau (34) – Christoffer
    DEFENSE:
    Nikitin – Oesterle
    Hunt – Gernat
    LaLeggia – Musil
    GOAL:
    Scrivens

3. Centre of attention says:

Great to see Platzer slowly moving up the chart.

Ford is one too many “veteran scholars” for this group.

Maybe Oesterle gets some 2nd unit PP time being top pair with Nikitin.

Go scrivens!

4. JDï™ says:

If you have VLC media player (and you really should), here is the link to put into ‘Open Network Stream’ dialog box: http://ahl-tex.cdnllnwnl.nlss.neulioncloud.com/nlds/ahl/tex/as/live/tex_hd_2000.m3u8

The link won’t work in a browser.

Edit: And here is the link to find AHL streams for the day: http://xrxs.net/ahl.php

5. JDï™ says:

YakM!

Yakimov scores. Assist to Winquist.

7. JDï™ says:

WinQ!

Condors really taking it to the Stars so far.

8. fifthcartel says:

Winquist scores. I would be okay with signing him to an NHL deal.

Winquist from Gernat and Oesterle. 2-0. Jenny Scrivens in the house, Ben in net.

10. Oilanderp says:

Guys I’m finishing the game against the Texas Stars on Oct. 30th, so everyone stop posting here so you don’t spoil. 🙂

11. admiralmark says:

Always thought watching Khaira skate reminds me of Kesler. They have the same gait. Maybe he can be our poor mans Kesler?

12. Centre of attention says:

Lets say Scrivens posts a shut out tonight, what are the odds the Oilers call him up if Nilsson struggles against the Flyers?

13. Oilanderp says:

OK done the first game, interested to see how Scrivens does compared to L.B. against the same team 2 days later.

14. oliveoilers says:

From the previous thread:

Woodguy: I am not a lawyer.
    I buy and sell wood.

Shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger the Shrubber. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.

PS: Don’t leave! Though I did have a little hiatus of a week or so, and felt refreshed when I came back.

PPS: Please don’t go!

15. stephen sheps says:

JDï™,

thanks for posting the VLC link – was using it all day for HD football streams. I love the technology. I only wish this ahl feed had better camera angles. Something seems really off about it.

Texas scores and we’re even at 2.

17. JDï™ says:

stephen sheps,

No problem. Ever since I got shut out of hockeystreams, I’ve been scouring the net for good alternatives.

Dang it – every time I walk away from this game, the Stars score. My bad, I guess.

18. Centre of attention says:

LT, in your mind do you think its reasonable for the Oilers to split the next 6 games 3-3 give or take a bettman point?

Games Oilers should have a shot at being competitive: Flyers, Ducks, Coyotes as well as maybe pens if Crosbys still having a nap.

Games Oilers might get stomped: Hawks, Kings, maybe Pens if Crosby wakes up

If they split it, they will have 7 wins 11 losses. A bettman point or two means were in the picture, due to a weak pacific division.

Are things really that bad?

19. lynn says:

Wish Fleming would keep Khaira on LW. Move McRae to centre.

Centre of attention:

Games Oilers might get stomped: Hawks, Kings, maybe Pens if Crosby wakes up

Are things really that bad?

The issue for me comes down to what we should reasonably expect from this team. If I’m Chiarelli and McLellan, 4-7-0 with Calgary and Philly coming in means almost .500 by mid-week is possible! And coming off a Habs win, maybe the players let up a little and maybe the management felt it would be an okay time to rest Fayne and roll four lines instead of hammering that third pairing with McDavid.

And maybe things really aren’t that bad, and if Talbot stops that puck we’re all smiling. Trying to project a week with this team is pretty much impossible. Beat Montreal, lose to Calgary.

I think .500 should be the expectation by Christmas. If that’s the goal, then last night was a very big missed opportunity. Is it that bad? Not if they plan on beating the Hawks and Kings.

21. Centre of attention says:

Duly noted on the “can’t project this team” thing. I agree, its difficult. They could get romped by the Flyers and Pens, then what?

Talbot has to have a rebound performance. He has to.

I think the Oilers played a pretty OK game against LA. The Refs that game were a joke, the disallowed goal was far from the only bad call/non-call. Wasn’t perfect but they hung around.

The Hawks are missing Keith, theres that. *tugs at collar nervously*

22. Oilanderp says:

I really wouldn’t worry too much about that CGY game. They scored on two tips, another screen pt shot, a gimme from misplay by Talbot, and a seeing-eye squeeze-bank from the corner to win it with 8s left.

We hit the post, had a 90% real goal called back, missed a couple of open nets, and still only lost by one.

If you want to be troubled, be troubled not by what happened last night, but what has been happening for years and years: NO elite d, no team d, lack of 2-way fwds, a preference to spray 6″ of ice killing oneself trying to stop rather than lay a hit, constant cheating for offence, getting bullied.

Ugh, and I started this post to try to make myself feel better.

23. GCW_69 says:

Condors defence are surrendering too much ground in their zone. Giving up prime shooting areas.

Texas scores, up 3-2.

25. GCW_69 says:

Oilanderp:
    I really wouldn’t worry too much about that CGY game.They scored on two tips, another screen pt shot, a gimme from misplay by Talbot, and a seeing-eye squeeze-bank from the corner to win it with 8s left.

If you want to be troubled, be troubled not by what happened last night, but what has been happening for years and years:NO elite d, no team d, lack of 2-way fwds, a preference to spray 6″ of ice killing oneself trying to stop rather than lay a hit, constant cheating for offence, getting bullied.

Ugh, and I started this post to try to make myself feel better.

Texas again, 4-2.

The Bakersfield defense is David Musil and the five Taylor Chorney’s.

It is going to be a long season for Broissoit.

28. Centre of attention says:

Is Scrivens doing OK? or is the Bakersfield defense sans Nurse that bad?

29. Oilanderp says:

GCW_69: We should be very concerned when the oilers starter again had a sub .900 save percentage and the back up is .902

Yeah it’s a thing for sure. For the last few years I’ve been convinced that if the things I mentioned above could be improved we would see corresponding improvement in the G department. Others here convinced me using magic and fairy dust that it was both.

My brain tells me that below average save percentage from mid-low dangerous areas means it is the goalie’s fault, but my time AS a goalie tells me that anything that messes with your head, especially things like that wide open tap-in chance that you sprawled over to save twice in the last 5 minutes….

impacts your psyche as a G.

When you’re thinking about things like that as a G… when you worry about stuff that’s not your job because you don’t have confidence in your D… you’ve lost already.

And it’s a intermeshing spiral of crud, because the D and the fwds, in turn, don’t fully trust you and everyone DNAs downward into a Nine Inch Nails Album except without the talent.

I honestly don’t know anymore.

30. RMGS says:

So, I’m watching the Habs rout the Jets on RDS, and the broadcast throws out some interesting stats on Subban noting where he stands in average passes and time with possession in the O zone (he’s near the top in both).

Does anyone know where these numbers are published?

31. Oilanderp says:

Damn I just saw the Condors get beat twice by the same team in a few hours.

I did it to myself.

*Looks for streams of Norfolk*

32. GCW_69 says:

Centre of attention:
    Is Scrivens doing OK? or is the Bakersfield defense sans Nurse that bad?

A little from column A and a little from column B. The Bakersfield defence seems to give up the middle slot way to easy.

33. GCW_69 says:

Oilanderp: Yeah it’s a thing for sure.For the last few years I’ve been convinced that if the things I mentioned above could be improved we would see corresponding improvement in the G department.Others here convinced me using magic and fairy dust that it was both.

impacts your psyche as a G.

I honestly don’t know anymore.

My theory is it’s a bad idea to take back ups, then add the pressure of being a starter, and then add the pressure of playing behind this gong show of a defence. The oilers are asking too much. They should have signed a proven starter or fixed the defence.

34. JDï™ says:

Texas again, 4-2.

I quit watching at 2 – 0.

My bad?

35. Centre of attention says:

Esks clinch a spot in the western final.

Nice.

36. Dominoiler says:

godot10:
    The Bakersfield defense is David Musil and the five Taylor Chorney’s.

Haha, thought that line was both hilarious and, upon further consideration, confusing. Again, management isn’t showing an eye for balance.

37. Bag of Pucks says:

Thinking a lot about the D pairings that TMac may eventually settle on and I’m hoping to see something like this deployment:

Klefbom / Sekera (OZ push)
    Nurse / Gryba (DZ push – cycle busting pairing)
    Reinhart / Schultz (soft comps sheltered mins)
    Davidson (PP push)

Fayne PB (draws in for Schultz against heavy teams)

I’m normally not a big fan of the 7 D lineup but I think it may actually be best for this team. Btw Gazdic/Pakarinen/Purcell or Davidson, I’d rather have that big slapper from the point in the lineup.

Really not seeing Lander well atm and I want Leon playing C for this club or back to Bakersfield.

When Hendricks and Eberle return, I think this could give us a shot at the unicorn

Pouliot / McDavid / Yakupov
    Hall / RNH / Hendricks
    Slepyshev / Drai / Eberle
    Korpikoski / Letestu

I think Chia and TMac have extended the trading camp battles into the first 20 games. Not ideal but they need to see what they have, and injuries have factored in.

Jobs #1 are definitely A) stabilizing the pairings after Reinhart and Jultz return & B) Getting that 3rd line productive

I guess I could be upset at the record, but McDavid is just too fun to watch. Most fun I’ve had watching a player since Crosby and Ovey first came in the league.

38. Oilanderp says:

GCW_69:They should have signed a proven starter or fixed the defence.

And there’s the rub: we can probably agree it’s both. But which first? I’m leaning toward fixing the D. That’s one discussion (D or G or both but which one first). The other is, and let’s gloss over the details (lol), how?

39. spoiler says:

RMGS:
    So, I’m watching the Habs rout the Jets on RDS, and the broadcast throws out some interesting stats on Subban notingwhere he stands in average passes and time with possession in the O zone (he’s near the top in both).

Does anyone know where these numbers are published?

GMoney has yet to find a hole in their security he can exploit and for some bizarre reason Anonymous doesn’t seem to think it’s important. 🙁

40. flyfish1168 says:

Centre of attention:
    Esks clinch a spot in the western final.

Nice.

41. Bag of Pucks says:

flyfish1168: Esk don’t play for 3 full weeks. Way to much time off. CFL should never have a bye week as the last weekend in scheduling.

9 team league. No way to avoid it. One team has to sit every week.

42. flyfish1168 says:

Bag of Pucks: 9 team league. No way to avoid it. One team has to sit every week.

Opps you are correct forgot about the red blacks being back in.

43. tcho says:

@Woodguy

I just wanted to express – I sure hope you stick around. You’re my favourite poster here. In fact, I often just scroll through the threads and look for posts from you and GMoney.

44. Bag of Pucks says:

@GMoney

Just read the DFF posts on nerdalert. Really excellent stuff.

Finally, meaningful metrics to help quantify the value of the ‘defensive’ defenceman.

If you want to get some press / traction around this metric, I would suggest a post that compares the Norris Trophy candidates. Would be interesting to see how D like Josi, McDonagh and Pietrangelo look with DFF.

I hate how the Norris has become the award for the most ‘offensive’ defencemen like Subban and Karlsson. I think metrics like yours could show those D that are truly making the biggest differences to the final result. Bet Doughty and Keith shine by this metric.

Btw, you should add some base nav to your site. Too much good content in there to have it relatively hidden from the walk up traffic.

Well done!

45. Bag of Pucks says:

tcho:
    @Woodguy

Don’t worry. No one leaves the site for long. This is hockey heroin.

You can check yourself into rehab, but eventually you jump the wall and go looking for a fix. lol

I know absolutely nothing about heroin in real life btw. My wife is my drug. And McDavid.

McDavid is ecstasy and cocaine with a Patrone chaser.

Bag of Pucks: Don’t worry. No one leaves the site for long. This is hockey heroin.

McDavid is ecstasy and cocaine with a Patrone chaser.

and I do love the radio and this blog, suspect for the same reasons everyone else does. When I was a teenager, I had the same thoughts about hockey (obsessed!) but no one really to share them with, not like the way we can today. I WOULD have posted on the 1971 draft at hfboards, guaranteed! 🙂

I started this blog a decade or so ago with the idea of having people discuss back and forth and reach conclusions, and I would hang on to the thread as long as I could while also realizing my own limitations. I still feel that way, and if it is goodbye, well, I’ve enjoyed following Woodguy’s riffs and thank him for the many wonderful posts (and his blog).

47. RMGS says:

spoiler: They have their own proprietary service that occasionally “leaks” stats out to the media.

48. Snowman says:

Woodguy thanks for the education. I’ve learned more about hockey from the host of this place and posters like yourself and G than I ever expected to learn.

49. spoiler says:

RMGS: Fascinating. Tracking things like touches of the puck, actual timed puck possession by zone, and passes – including completion rates and pass purpose (e.g. zone exit, zone entry, neutral zone transition) – will produce a much more precise understanding of puck possession and its effects than Corsi and Fenwick, which are better scoring chance than “possession” proxies.

Without a doubt.

For example, I’d like to see McDavid’s puck touches last night compared to the previous 7 games.

I would love to track, along with passing, Zone Exits followed by a near CF event and followed by a near CA event, and Zone Entries the same way, both for our team and the opposition.

50. Bag of Pucks says:

Lowetide: That’s kind of how I feel. McDavid is why I’m a fan. Following him for as long as I can, don’t know if God will give me 25 more years but here’s hoping, along with pure dumb good luck over finding a good woman and not fucking it up (yet!) is enough to make me very happy every day.

I’m just relieved to find a place that confirms that there are other nut jobs who think about hockey as much as I do.

Honestly it’s not healthy to think about a game this much, particularly when the home team has sucked as long as this one, but what ya gonna do?

The deep freeze is coming. And we’ve got Gretzky 2.0. Woot!

51. G Money says:

Hi folks – just catching up, had some friends over to watch the game then crashed hard! Esks, woot! Removes some of the melancholy from last nights game.

Re: WG – hope he’s back, very much the poorer without him. I think his statement was that people were DMing with rude shit about stuff he’d said? And LT gets that as well. Man, that sucks. Opposing opinions are the lifeblood of discussion. Gotta have thick skin, but seems internet heroes recognize that and go that much farther in their antagonism.

Bag of Pucks Thanks man! What you’re describing is definitely on my task list. Since I trashed fancystats for defensemen a while back, I have to legitimately see if my stat also fails the test, no matter how promising it looks in the early days.

tcho *blushes* (hard for me to do) – and thanks

RMGS yeah, it’s called Sportlogiq (out of Montreal which is why they tend to follow Habs games) and they do with video and computing power for games (that teams pay for) what SportVu will supposedly do for all games someday. If a team isn’t at least trialling their service for use in self assessment and scouting, they should be embarrassed.

52. leadfarmer says:

What happened to Woodguy? So if I see a fan throw a piece of wood on the ice at least I’ll know it’s him.

53. spoiler says:

Love GMoney and Woodguy (and dammit you had better stay) but anyone who is skipping over Rex and book¡je is missing a lot of humour, not to mention important Flame-trashing. Hunter and Bootstrap aren’t everyone’s cup of tea, but I find them hilarious, cutting. Some quieter vets who are always good to hear from like Gerta and Debakey. McCurdy, NYCOil, Olive, Pouzar, GCW, StevieZ, Bendelson, Bag o’, Bank, Godot, Showerhead, AO… RickitheBear and his sock puppet “Steve Smith”… the list goes on and on after this even, with the quality comments that are posted here.

And not just in terms of ideas. Or research. But also in terms of being well-written, funny, resonant… the amazing memes.

And finally, any commenter here who is sending abuse to other commenters here and especially Lowetide, needs to stop.

54. oilswell says:

I agree, but several have “gone clean” over the years. For example, I’ve yet to see Dennis King relapse, he has other gigs, and there’s icons like Grabia and igor that we miss to this day.

55. oilswell says:

It’s exciting but, really, those are all measures of epiphenomena. Gazdic would measure out of this world in my beer league on every one of those measures. There’s a deeper world waiting for us relating to competition and game flow.

56. anonymous says:

Lived for hockey, as a kid growing up in ontario all I had was worn hockey news and an obsession for the oilers. I used to stay up until 12:45 every night the oilers played just to get a quick score from a very young Marc Hebsher. Not even a box score those days. Had to wait two days to get that from the newspaper.

This is a great blog, I have been reading them from the beginning. Back when there’d only be a handful of comments. Wasn’t as time consuming then.

It was years before I even made an account, this is the only blog I have ever commented on. It was a bookje post about geometry, mocking the “square peg in a round hole” , Dustin Penner being ambipolydexterous or something that made me laugh so much I had to start an account.

I enjoy feeling the mood of other oiler “fans”, they’re mostly haters in Ontario. Hope Woodguy sticks around. Enjoy all the posters who take(have) the time to put so much into their posts. I’ll never understand why people in general take it personally when other people’s opinion don’t match their own.

57. sliderule says:

If the posters on this site are making you upset then you should stay off the internet.

By and large the discussions on this site are very civil and when you compare them to other blogs tame.

If some folks don’t agree with you just let it die,don’t try to convert them .

58. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: Our friend Woodguy (from what I can gather, disjointed posts over many hours and I’m just catching up) appears to have had enough and that’s a shame. I respect him enough to (as BofP says) find his own way.

WTF happened?????

I’m away for 1 day and this?

59. RMGS says:

oilswell: It’s exciting but, really, those are all measures of epiphenomena.Gazdic would measure out of this world in my beer league on every one of those measures.There’s a deeper world waiting for us relating to competition and game flow.

I’d argue that Luke Gazdic (plus several other Oilers) and pass completion or actual possession of the puck are like oil and water.

They may, however, rate highly in pass compeltion.

60. russ99 says:

IMO Drai at center at the NHL level at this point in his career may not be a good idea.

He’s playing well at wing, getting in the right areas to score goals, but he’s also playing with our best two-way center.

If he has to take faceoffs and be the key defensive forward on his line, will he still be able to play that way? I think it’s too much to ask a rookie to do, and if he’s put in positions to fail, that could affect his development.

The options should be get him used to the NHL level on the line he’s on now or send him back to Bakersfield to learn how to play 2-way center in a men’s league.

61. lynn says:

sliderule:

If some folks don’t agree with you just let it die,don’t try to convert them .

Agree. You make sense.

62. GCW_69 says:

A (poor) attempt to lighten the mood:

We used to have:

Hall
    Omark
    Paajarvi
    Eberle

now, according to litscape’s anagram finder, we have (and this was the only word it came up with):

Hall
    Yakupov
    McDavid
    Eberle
    Nugent-Hopkins

Take that for what you will!

63. Sugar Reijo says:

LowetideI WOULD have posted on the 1971 draft at hfboards, guaranteed!

Am guessing that the question of why Minnesota even thought about taking Rod Norrish in the second round with Terry French still on the board still keeps some up nights. 🙂

In all seriousness though thanks LT for all that you do here.

64. GCW_69 says:

On a more serious note, its sad to see anyone sign off, even those that drive you crazy.

Good natured banter and debate on blogs like this is what has kept the Oilers interesting for the last few years. Certainly the on ice product hasn’t.

I think though, the cumulative effect of all the losing is that folks are getting shorter and shorter fuses when it comes to discussing the team. C’n’B is a shadow of its former self as a result, and you can see the frustration rising here.

We can’t forget its just a game and that we all cheer for the same team, even if we don’t view it the same way.

65. Sugar Reijo says:

GCW_69:

Hall
    Yakupov
    McDavid
    Eberle
    Nugent-Hopkins

Take that for what you will!

Can easily picture Chiarelli calling the group this a la Cruise’s Les Grossman character in Tropic Thunder, and then on being fist-bumped by TMc for so inspired a use of wordplay, asking, “What’s an anagram finder?”