TUMBLING DICE

When I was a kid growing up in Saskatchewan, you could see arriving summer storms on the horizon for hours. The sky would turn black, in steps, taking more of the heavens each hour, like a painting slowly reaching completion. The wind would blow harder and eventually Mom would call us to come inside. I always loved those storms, was the last to go inside. There’s something about the oncoming violence of a Saskatchewan storm (they really are exceptional) and the anticipation of it that appeals to me, gotta say.

I do not like storms without warning. They shock the system and addle the mind, creating anxiety, chaos and uncertainty. When I was very young, my Dad would use a calm voice to still the storm. I remember that voice, the tenor and the tone. I find storms without warning even less appealing now than then. We’ll have to be each others calm voice in the days to come.

We can begin with the positives: This isn’t a concussion or a knee injury, and it was not a catastrophic injury that impacted McDavid’s ridiculous foot speed. It’s a bad turn for a gifted young man and it’s craptastic news for this northern town where the wind howls all winter long, but it could have been worse. We pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and start all over again.

The imagination is an evil thing sometimes. Long term? What the hell does that mean? Well, it means long term! In these days of miracle and wonder, it’s difficult to wait for anything. We’re going to have to do just that, though. We’ll know in due time (God I hate that phrase).

OILERS D LAST NIGHT

oil d nov 3

That’s a helluva set of stats, even with the Flyers playing back to back. The third pairing (by minutes) ended up doing very well, although that second goal was an adventure. I saw Griffin Reinhart good last night, he had calm feet and made some good decisions. Hard to fault Gryba by the numbers, not sure what he was doing on the second GA—he did pick up an assist, though. This duo faced the VandeVelde line mostly, based on my reading of War-On-Ice.

The Nurse—Sekera duo faced the Laughton line with Simmons and Read, doing well (13-6 against Laughton). Nurse was a little chaotic at times, there’s some Dion Dimucci in him for sure. If you’re sitting down trying to put Nurse in a good spot for his NHL rookie year, second pair with Sekera is a nice spot.

Klefbom—Davidson went 12-8 against Giroux and for me that’s the story on defense. I don’t know if this thing will last, and good grief they’re way too inexperienced, but last night was impressive from both men, who were +2 on the night. Terrific.

OILERS C LAST NIGHT

oil c nov 3

Nugent-Hopkins went 8-9 against the Giroux line and scored two. McDavid had some jump before the injury, and I thought Lander and Letestu played well in their extended time after McDavid left the game. One thing we need to talk about: Replacing McDavid. Moving Leon over is the obvious choice, but the team has very little in the way of depth and I wonder if adding a veteran C might be an idea worth pursuing. The third and fourth lines had impressive evenings, but that’s a lot about the Flyers, too.

McDavid’s loss, for however long it may be, is part of the season’s story. The Oilers can’t just sit around and mope, let’s see action. In the name of all that is holy, a turn north is vital. Peter Chiarelli can’t stand pat and watch the losses pile up when the skies of November turn gloomy.

RECORD BY MONTH, THIS AND LAST

• Oilers in October 2014: 4-5-1
  • Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0
  • Oilers in November 2014: 2-9-3
  • Oilers in November 2015: 1-0-0
  • Oilers in December 2014: 2-8-4
  • Oilers in December 2015:

Godspeed, young man. Heal like a hero. By the way, I said the same thing about Taylor Hall exactly one year ago.

WINGERS, LAST NIGHT

oil w nov 3Lots of positives here, including a solid 3line for the first time this season (that I recall). Purcell and Hendricks combined with Letestu and owned the Schenn line, and I imagine we’ll see that trio again Friday night. Lander with Gazdic and Pakarinen also had a solid evening. Hall was splendid plus some more, despite the numbers presented here. What a hockey player. The Flyers are ghastly, Oilers could use a few more nights like this one.

anthem

Without a trade, Edmonton probably has to break up the 1line, although the blow is less painful due to the return of Jordan Eberle. A possible roster Friday night:

• Hall—Nuge—Eberle
  • Pouliot—Draisaitl—Yakupov
  • Hendricks—Letestu—Purcell
  • Pakarinen—Lander—Slepyshev
  • Klefbom—Davidson
  • Nurse—Sekera
  • Reinhart—Gryba

NIKITIN?

• Bob McKenzie: “Now, there are teams that have expressed some interest to the Oilers about Nikitin. And the Oilers would love better than to rid themselves of the contract. They recognize they may have to take some money back. But some of the teams that are interested – Nikitin hasn’t played a lot down there. He had a work visa problem. He’s only played several games in the American Hockey League. Once he gets back up to game speed, it’s believed there are teams, including maybe the Colorado Avalanche, who have some interest in him.” Source

Heh. Hahahaa. Oh my God. Defense is in short supply and veteran defensemen hold their value like crazy. The best line is ‘once he gets back up to game speed’ because that’s the issue really. When you’re 29 and skate like Pierre Bouchard, it’s time to sing show me the way to go home. I love those Russian blue like Igor Ulanov and was always curious about Nikitin, but the speed of the NHL keeps getting crazier and Niki’s wheels won’t turn.

OVERALL STANDINGS

overall standings

The best part of this table is the -5 goal differential (looks like Calgary is having a helluva good time there) and that’s another reason Peter Chiarelli needs to cast about for help while 97 is out. The new management team was brought in to turn north, and No. 25 is slight improvement during a tough part of the schedule. I say no to a 2-9-3 November, who is with me?

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A very busy day on the show, 10 this morning TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey. The disappointment of McDavid’s injury, the 5-8-0 start and the plethora of young blue who played last night.
  • Kurtis Mucha, Director of Goaltending Development for Vimy Hockey. If you have goalie questions (and I’m not going to ask if they’re voodoo) send them in!
  • Paul Almeida, SSE. Almeida will join us to talk about what to do with the roster during the McDavid injury window. Stand pat? I don’t think that will be Paul’s recommendation.
  • Reg Leach, author of “The Riverton Rifle—Straightshooting on Hockey and on Life”. We’ll talk about the glory days for the Philadelphia Flyers, his own success and struggles, and a very revealing book.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Don’t worry, we’ll get through this together. Feel so bad for young McDavid this morning, his parents too. As a father of two kids about that age, I’m often reminded that—despite appearances—18 is still 18. I’m glad this young man has such a strong support group, and terrific parents. Every young person deserves as much.

193 Responses to "TUMBLING DICE"

1. zatch says:

LT, I feel despair not such as I have felt in awhile with regard to this team. It feels like nothing will ever, ever go right again for Edmonton. Cursed. Truly.

I would take a damn 7th for Nikitn, with max salary retained. Edmonton could do better than that even. 5th. Small victories.

We wait.

2. Clay says:

We can not have nice things.

That said, lost in the McClavisty, Taylor Hall is possessed right now. He looks like he’s determined to drag this team north all by himself. It’s truly incredible to watch.

I’d argue at this point that any Oiler fan who can’t see Hall for what he is – the best left winger in hockey – they’re trying to sell something. Like Hall for OEL (sorry, couldn’t resist).

3. borisnikov says:

CURSED. Burn everything in sacrifice.

4. smellyglove says:

If we were ever truly banking on an 18 yo kid to turn this miserable franchise’s performance around then we were truly fucked from the beginning.

Time for three other #1 OVs and a handful of top 10 picks to do something.

5. Hall Awaits says:

Last night was an absolute gut punch. The win didn’t even register until this morning.

You feel for the kid, team and people who love to watch the game in general. Really hoping the injury isn’t to severe and the kid is back on the ice in no time. I think we’re about to find out who this years Oilers really are. Giddy up.

Looks like the turn north falls back on the shoulders of Hall. To quote your quote LT…

“Same as it ever was, same as it ever was”

Also, Derek Roy anyone?

6. HugThePost says:

It’s like an exorcism needs to be performed and goats sacrificed to get rid of the black cloud that has loomed over this team for not months or years, but a couple of decades now.

I was getting on the LRT last night as some young oiler fans were coming off after the game and they looked like they had just been to a funeral. Those kids have known nothing but pain and despair when it comes to this team. I guess I can say I was around in the 80’s for the good times. Seems we’ve been paying for it since though.

Man do we ever need guys to start coming into their own a bit in the next stretch. Watch Hall and do what he’s doing.

7. monsterbater says:

I saw Reinhart good last night as well. I counted at least 5 shot attempts (some were deflected or went wide) in the 1st period alone. He wasn’t afraid to fire the puck at the net which is refreshing.

8. Sugar Reijo says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 2m2 minutes ago
    #Oilers President & GM Peter Chiarelli will address the media today at 10:30am MT. Watch live on http://edmontonoilers.com

9. D says:

The Oilers won last night, and nearly won against Calgary with the McDavid line being held in check (not sure if they scored any points in the last two games). The Oil will be fine, and if Draisaitl now centers the number 2 line with Eberle returning, it just means that the first two lines are being iced in the way we originally anticipated for the next decade until Edmonton won the McDavid lottery.

10. russ99 says:

I like how the team stepped up after the injury, it bodes quite well.

Ebs is coming back after 5 weeks out, they should ease him back into the lineup.

So yanking Drai off our now best line isn’t a very good idea.

We have to look at what’s best for the developing player, and I think that’s what McLellan was thinking in his quotes last night.

Short-term Lander “took a step up”, so let’s see what he can do on the McDavid line. Also Pakarinen and Hendricks can play center, we don’t need an immediate addition.

May not be a bad idea to see how Drai is progressing by trying him at center vs. one of those East teams, maybe Toronto. 😉

11. Dicky94 says:

Ferrence or Teddy to Philly for Vinny L.

12. Ice Sage says:

Bah – this could turn out to be a blessing in disguise with the wunderkind coming back hungrier than ever at a time when others are feeling the wear-down of the grind.
    I liked the team’s on-ice response and the coach’s (ongoing) refusal to buy into the victim storyline that’s been around these parts too long.
    Not predicting a winning remainder of 2015 but it will be better than 2014.

13. Zeabs93 says:

Devastating to lose McDavid, but I have a feeling Hall will put this team on his back. He’s been on fire lately and I think he’ll respond wonderfully to the challenge.

Interesting to see too if McDavid can still win the Calder now, only playing 50 games or so. It just got a whole lot tougher for him now with such an great rookie crop this year.

14. dustrock says:

I have to admit, it’s weird to see him at this level, and then think about the first 4 games where he was skating a ton but not playing at his best.

What’s different about Draisaitl this time? He’s keeping his stick on the ice and he’s going to the net.

And holy Toledo, is Reinhart a better option than Ference.

15. dustrock says:

I laughed. What else can you do?

I do hope we get a veteran C though, I just can’t look at the 2016 draft in November again. I can’t do it, I’ll more likely tune out.

16. Water Fire says:

17. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

On a fantasy hockey note, I just traded for McDavid.

I’m quite pleased with myself.

18. McSorley33 says:

What makes this place special is the incredible optimism by so many last night…..

Not sure this club is deep enough to withstand the loss of their 2nd best player….

Man, this team really misses Justin Schultz…..oh wait, not really.

19. TheGreatMcMutato says:

I was alive in the 80s, but was far too young to recognize what was happening. I didn’t become self-aware until sometime during the Kevin Todd era (yeah, that was an era). As such, I have been steeled and forged in the garbage fire of the last several decades of Oilers hockey.

Still, this one really hurts.

Plus I have tickets to Friday’s game. Crosby vs. McDavid? I guess I’ll settle for Crosby vs. thecommanderantonlander.

20. Loyal2theoil says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

21. Pouzar says:

I saw McDavid go down. It sucked(He’s a stud and will be back).

But I desperately wanted that win last night.

22. dustrock says:

Water Fire: Agreed the injury isn’t as bad as it might have been, hopefully he can learn to be healthy.I don’t agree with enforcers, but do with team toughness. I watched the injury play closely this morning and Manning pushed him in the hips with two hands after he lost balance, which is boarding, and made no attempt to avoid driving Connor into the boards despite not being tripped. Somehow Del Zotto ended up also driving him into the boards and wasn’t in contact at all before he ‘fell’.I am glad the Oilers don’t whine, but that was a fairly dirty play that injured the best player. I tried to find Hall’s board fall and couldn’t but I don’t believe the defenceman followed him into the boards. Hall has established he’s willing to push back. Umberger decided to jump on Nilsson on the second Flyer goal and when getting up patted Nilsson on the back a few times. Prick. Plays like that happen always, but to me it happens more often when there is no fear of retaliation. When Ference jumped Steckel it was ugly, but Ference took it that Steckel tried to board him and that was enough for him. People don’t run Ference even though he’s a sitting duck now. This has always been the way in hockey because the league doesn’t protect the players with any real intent. Even it’s stars.Incidentally Gryba was on his butt while Umberger was on his goalie, and if he doesn’t grab Umberger and engage him with mal intent, given his play he is as useless a player as Gazdic.There has to be team push back so that the team doesn’t ice poor players as protection to calm the herd, not that it works anyway. It’s a mentality, I hope McLellan either instills it or Chia finds a few more Darnells to tone this stuff down. Maybe I’m old school but if the best player goes down on a questionable play the other team should notice that’s not to be ok, by whatever means works in the situation. Actually even if the play isn’t questionable. Good teams do this, they do it to the Oilers. OK I am old school.

Yeah, I don’t think Manning meant to hurt McDavid, but he pushed him when McDavid was going by him at speed. We all knew McDavid was going to be a target.

23. Pouzar says:

Dicky94:
    Ferrence or Teddy to Philly for Vinny L.

Why do you hate the Oilers?

24. Water Fire says:

I was really impressed with the young defensmen. Quick to the puck and a lot of good plays to get going the right way. I think it really showed in how the Oilers controlled play a lot. Small sample size but they are playing much better overall than the vets right now.

There is enough forward depth to wait the injury out. Who is going to give up a 2C without an overapy or at all. Lander with good wingers can do that job, Letestu 3C and whomever 4C. Klink can play C, no?

25. Pouzar says:

dustrock: Honestly, I didn’t get upset, cry or throw the remote across the room when McDavid got hurt.

Nope me neither.

That reaction is reserved for nights like last Saturday.

26. Loyal2theoil says:

Does Surgery to repair the broken clavicle prolong the term of yhe injury?

27. dustrock says:

Loyal2theoil: Bob mckenzie – Connor McDavid expected to have surgery to repair fractured clavicle. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

That’s 8 weeks.

28. Pouzar says:

Loyal2theoil:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

See Patrick Kane. This could speed things up.

29. Visually better says:

HugThePost:

I was getting on the LRT last night as some young oiler fans were coming off after the game and they looked like they had just been to a funeral.Those kids have known nothing but pain and despair when it comes to this team.I guess I can say I was around in the 80’s for the good times.Seems we’ve been paying for it since though.

Man do we ever need guys to start coming into their own a bit in the next stretch.Watch Hall and do what he’s doing.

Thats me! Had a taste of that 06/07 run, and I still remember it being one of the most happiest exciting times of my life. The vibe in the city was just unbelievable, it felt like everyone just had this common collective excitement. ahhh

I have been a die hard fan, who could probably count on both hands the games ive missed (including pre-season and penticton) in the past 5 years. All i know is misery, I often explain my obsession with the OIlers as a disease or sickness because there is no way i should be so captivated and interested in something that brings me so much dissapointment.

I often vent my frustration on this blog, and I do feel bad doing it because this is such a good place for sharing and LT provides such good, positive posts. But i literally just can’t help it. I wouldnt be here commenting and reading posts every single day if I didn’t care and love this team dearly. Its just all ive known is dissapointment and frustration..

I agree that we shouldn’t be relying anywhere near as much on this 18 year old kid, and this should just be a normal set back every other team faces. However, we are the OIlers. Let’s be honest; we’re in trouble.

30. dustrock says:

Who’s available for a veteran C? Derek Roy? Matthias? Stephen Weiss?

31. Pouzar says:

dustrock: If Gazdic, Gryba or Nurse aren’t pounding the shit out of Manning or Del Zotto after that, I’m not sure why they’re on the roster.

Uhh what? Nurse is kinda decent at playing hockey.

32. RMGS says:

I can’t wait to say good riddance to the historic but decrepit Northlands Coliseum and its piece of shit ice surface.

33. DocFan says:

Usually a clavicle requiring surgery is 6 weeks. It will depend if they need to go back to remove plates / screws.

There is a bright side here (albeit limited).
    – this is an injury you can easily return from. It’s much better than a shoulder injury requiring surgery (that would be months) or a separation or dislocation (which could be the start of chronic shoulder problems).
    – gives the team to see how they respond without mcdavid and what we really have. He’s so good, he covers up a lot of negatives this team has. We can see if the new Yak is sustained.

– all players have a high chance of injury during their careers. This was a freak accident. Stats wise now that it has happened, unlikely to happen again. If I were to choose, I’d rather have it happen this year over next year. We are still in the assessment / improvement phase of the season – lots of hockey left and lots of decisions to be made. I would argue this is not a playoff year regardless of mcdavid injury or not.
    – maybe we get some cap relief from bonuses with mcdavid missing games?
    – gives Leon a chance to really show what he’s made of and what he’s learned from his 39 games last year.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d much rather not have this injury, but there are still bright sides. All is not lost. This is a good opportunity for this team and management to assess the team and improve.

34. HugThePost says:

When they leave Rexall for good, they should melt the ice and pour small amounts of the water in every other nhl rink in the league and spread that curse around.

35. HugThePost says:

Is Patrick Thoresen available?

36. slopitch says:

The best (or worst part) about the 5-8 start is that the Oilers should have got 3 pts from the LA/Calgary games. The team was legitimately improving with Eberle coming back. 10 weeks isn’t a death sentence though. The problems on this team are mostly defence and goaltending.

I really enjoy watching Drai get the puck. He is already possibly the 2nd smartest player on the team with the puck (Connor #1). He’s looked great since coming back. I wonder if the play is to try

4-93-29
    10-51-14

Or is Yak ok on the off wing?
    God speed McDavid.

37. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Serious question for the Cap Guru’s in the room.

My understanding from day 1 of the season was that there would be negative cap implications involved in having all of Nurse, Drai, McDavid, and Reinhart on the roster simultaneously. That’s why I thought it made sense to send down Nurse & Drai.

Does the injury to McDavid help clear up space to accommodate that?

38. Halfwise says:

HugThePost:

I thought the ice got bad right when Epcor reduced the level of water treatment that led to soft water. Is ice made with hard water worse, at any given temperature?

Of course, my ignorance of ice making borders on encyclopedic.

39. Sugar Reijo says:

Loyal2theoil:
    Does Surgery to repair the broken clavicle prolong the term of yhe injury?

Only if they accidentally trigger his nuclear power cell to blow.

PLEASE Oilers DON’T accidentally trigger his nuclear power cell to blow.

Man, that would suck.

40. T0ML says:

Question , anyone else notice Davidson getting nasty with some flyer players (Simmonds?) in front of the net last night? Like im talking layed him the f’ out with a cross check at one point …. i rather enjoyed it maybe it was a dream though..

The most significant thing that carpenter from Nazareth did was suffer.

As they say, be careful what you wish for. Because your wish may be granted.

42. Visually better says:

T0ML,

He fell on top of Ryan White, White was already falling and Davidson went with him.

It was only just a dream.

However, have liked the player for a while now, was not undestanding the hate he was getting 2 games into his season. He is going to be a steady Defenseman for the Oilers for years to come I believe,=.

43. stephen sheps says:

T0ML:

No you didn’t imagine that. Davidson definitely tackled someone in front of the net in while the flyers had the end of game 6 on 5.

I saw him real good last night, Reinhart too.

Edit: maybe Ryan White was already falling, but Davidson kept him down maybe a little longer than necessary – in a good way.

Hunter, is it too late to modify my points prediction? 83 seemed reasonable at the start of the season, 73 more likely now.

44. Pajamah says:

T0ML:

Yeah, it was Voracek. Hit him hard, then fell on top of him. Really liking BDavy this season. We’ve seen only really high end prospects make it, its nice to see a guy with less pedigree surpass his draft number.

45. Bag of Pucks says:

With Eberle coming back, we were finally set for a legitimate unicorn sighting. Then this.

Very bizarre play and injury. Really feel for the kid. Good luck and godspeed.

Leon, you wanted to play C and in the Top 6. You’ll never get a better opportunity than this one.

I’m certain they’ll go with Hall/Nuge/Ebs and Pouliot/Drai/Yak to start. But I could really envision Drai and Eberle thinking the game together well, and Hall/Yak has always teased us with it’s potential. Those combos would also balance the size/grititude across the lines a little more.

Good leadership test for this coach and team. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

46. McSorley33 says:

DocFan,

There is a bright side here (albeit limited).
    – maybe we get some cap relief from bonuses with mcdavid missing games?
    ******************************************************************************************
    Very good post….all valid points.

Development year.

Let the new guys really get involved in the system. Dr. Drai, Nurse, Davidson etc….Gain experience year.

Two cent suggetion: Lets go all in with Nurse and Davidson…..they should play every game to gain NHL experience..

Has to be tough for Hall and Ebs though….

Need someone to really emerge from this….maybe Anton Lander.

Has anyone ever seen a player draw so many penalties, without taking one himself?

47. Bag of Pucks says:

McDavid: “That was so weird. I’ve never lost my balance in that situation before.”

Nuge: “Yep, I lost an edge and fell into the boards too. This place is cursed.”

Hall: “Dudes, I got my face stepped on by a skate playing for this team.”

Lowe: “Hey boys, I once played for the entire playoffs with a broken elbow, broken ribs, a broken chinstrap and dull skates. Time to suck ‘er up ‘ay boys? What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger! Winners never quit and quitters never win!! Tony Robbins motivational mumbo jumbo etc….!!!”

Hall to McDavid and Nuge “You guys want to hit the Ranch?”

McDavid and Nuge, “Totes!”

48. Caramel Obvious says:

The injury wasn’t good.

That said, yesterday was a very positive game.

1) That is the best they played under McClellan. Dominant.
    2) When the injury occurred they were losing.
    3) Because of another terrible goal.
    4) And yet they won the game.

The play of the team yesterday was the most encouraging thing I’ve seen since Eakins was fired. They never played like that under Nelson or Krueger.

49. stephen sheps says:

Caramel Obvious:
    The injury wasn’t good.

That said, yesterday was a very positive game.

1) That is the best they played under McClellan.Dominant.
    2) When the injury occurred they were losing.
    3) Because of another terrible goal.
    4) And yet they won the game.

The play of the team yesterday was the most encouraging thing I’ve seen since Eakins was fired.They never played like that under Nelson or Krueger.

quoted for truthiness

50. Woogie63 says:

Hate that Connor is out.

The team finally has some depth to handle an injury to our second (first) best player.

Hall, Hopkins are playing like 1OV
    Yak’s game is becoming more complete, scoring yes, but defending, forechecking and hitting

Driasaitl, Pouliot, Hendricks, Latest, Eberle (he will) are providing excellent balance.

GR, Davidson, Nurse, Sekera, Shultz,(Gryna), Klefbom is a starting six I understand (with Fayne and Gryba are your 7/8)

51. Jon K says:

Why can’t we have nice things? Why?

I’m just going to repeat the positives in my mind over and over. It wasn’t a high ankle strain. It wasn’t a shoulder surgery. It wasn’t a knee injury. He’s very young and should recover well.

52. RexLibris says:

A couple of points:

– Pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off: exactly. When Nugent-Hopkins went down with a shoulder injury, or Hall went out with his ankle sprain, the team collapsed. That won’t happen this time. McDavid is a phenomenal player, arguably one of the best in the league after 13.2 games. But this team isn’t where it was two or three years ago and the management/coaching is miles ahead of that group. Fans need to keep this in mind also. The CFR road trip is coming up and this team could still conceivably post a .500 record in November without McDavid in spite of it all.

– Klefbom/Davidson looked good last night and while they are young, they are learning and building on a solid skill set and have shown they are capable of accomplishing good things. I like that duo and would like to see McLellan build on it.

– We’ve discussed Nurse/Reinhart before as one is a rusher, the other a defender, and both are big and a little mean. I’d like to see more of them together.

– Sekera/Gryba looks good on paper, and we’ve discussed Sekera/Fayne as well. It just feels like there are six or seven good defensemen on this roster, but we’re plagued by having not all of them healthy or playing well at the same time and there isn’t enough depth to overcome that.

– If McDavid has surgery Monday, his tentative return date would be somewhere around January 4th.
    The Oilers’ season will likely be decided, to some extent, during his absence. I’d argue that this group needs to prove it can survive without him before they can succeed with him.

53. ashley says:

Tough break last night, but if you had to pick your injury, a clavicle fracture is a good one to pick. Especially if it’s midshaft.

Involvement of the A-C joint (separated or intra-articular) or shoulder dislocation takes longer to come back from and has long term consequences with increased risk for re-injury.

A clavicle fracture will heal better than new and stronger than ever. Trivia: The clavicle is the most commonly fractured long bone.

While many in Canada leave these to heal on their own, surgery is a good choice….but of course I’m biased. Reduction is anatomic providing proper shoulder girdle stability immediately after surgery. Also, healing time is faster with less risk of delayed union/non-union. Assuming the risk of infection can be avoided.

Keep in mind great athletes like Lance Armstrong were cycling 1-2 days after surgery and were competing withing 2 weeks. Cycling is a non-contact sport of course, but it gives you an idea how surgery can accelerate this process.

“Long-term” will not be that long. He’ll be skating within a week I would guess, and taking light contact in a month with a view to returning. And I suspect he will still challenge for the Calder.

54. Centre of attention says:

I’ve said it once and I will say it again. With Hall stepping up, putting the team on his back pretty much I think he should be Captain.

+7 and has 16 points in 13 games. Fighting for top in the league in shot production. Still shooting at his career %, so its all sustainable.

55. su_dhillon says:

As sad as it is as a fan, man it’s just crushing for the kid. He did everything right and somehow was exceeding expectations, which seems impossible.
    The good news is that it’s not an injury that should have long term impact and if he is back before All Star, still leaves a nice chunk of season for him to turn up.

56. Chachi says:

godot10:
    The most significant thing that carpenter from Nazareth did was suffer.

As they say, be careful what you wish for.Because your wish may be granted.

Of all the hysterical and strange things that have been said about the injury this is the worst I have seen. Did Jesus teach people to be judgmental and snotty? Time to turn the other cheek.

57. vinotintazo says:

sign Roy to a PTO? put him with yak and purcell.

Hall-Nuge-Ebs
    Yak-Roy-Purcell
    Drai-Lander-Hendricks
    Klink-Letestu-Sleppy

58. speeds says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

It makes it less likely McDavid will actually hit his bonuses (particularly the “B” bonuses), but players on the IR still count against the cap AFAIK.

*edit to add*

It will be hard for McDavid to hit the B bonuses for any of the trophies*** or points, goals, and/or assists with the games he’ll miss, but provided he plays enough games he could still conceivably have a shot at earning his B bonuses through the points per game bonus (needs 42 GP to be eligible).

*** Well, I guess if EDM makes the playoffs and McDavid is healthy it’s theoretically possible he could win the Conn Smythe, but let’s just call that a longshot.

59. Doug McLachlan says:

Once my mind finished with all the words I know ending in “K”, I got to considering veteran C options.

Derek Roy was $1M last season and it would be a pro-rated amount now. Not a replacement for McDavid but a useful piece who we know can play with Yak (whose improved play this year has been almost as enjoyable as McDavid’s to watch).

60. Nostradumbass says:

Jack Michaels was on Sirius this morning and said he thinks the Oilers will go long with recovery, say 10-12 weeks

Indicated that Kane is not a good comparable as the two teams are at different competitive stages and that Kane was possibly rushed a little

61. Pouzar says:

So the Pens are a worse possession team than Philly.
    I wonder if we can put out 2 solid efforts in row.

62. Pouzar says:

Surgery today.

Out MONTHS.

as per Chia

63. Halfwise says:

Chachi: Did Jesus teach people to be judgmental and snotty?

When he said “turn the other cheek” he was speaking to everybody on the mountainside, not just the inner circle. Live and let live, buddy.

64. dustrock says:

no prognosis, talking monthS. Surgery today.

65. Pouzar says:

“plates and screws involved”.

*sobs*

66. PDL says:

ashley,

I’m just going to cling to this like a life preserver. Thank you.

67. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:
    So the Pens are a worse possession team than Philly.
    I wonder if we can put out 2 solid efforts in row.

It needs to happen.

If this team comes out looking like they are defeated before the puck is even dropped then we have far greater problems.

68. Jon K says:

Jon K:
    Why can’t we have nice things? Why?

Just fuck right off. Plates? Screws? Fuck you.

And fuck Rexall and its ice. Regrading the surface and new ice equipment would cost millions of dollars? How much did the Oilers make on McDavid jerseys so far this year alone?

69. Jaxon says:

Nikitin news is interesting. Maybe Nikitin to Avs for 2015 40th overall Nicholas Meloche (right D, 6’3″, 207 lbs). Retain most of his salary if needed. What else would they have to send? Musil? Moroz? Pitlick?

70. ashley says:

PDL:
    ashley,

I’m just going to cling to this like a life preserver.Thank you.

Well with Chia saying months, it makes you wonder if it’s not a simple midshaft fracture. Maybe there is AC joint involvement which happens in a minority of clavicle fracture cases. Or maybe he’s setting the worst case scenerio so McDavid can come back earlier and everyone, especially McDavid will look like heroes.

Among straight forward clavicle fractures, there was an NFL linebacker who went back to sport 3 weeks after surgery without complication. I would never advise this personally. Full NHL contact is going to be at least 5-6 weeks with firm clinical evidence of solid bone union.

71. G Money says:

Man what a shitty fucking evening for such a brilliantly played game.

Thoughts:

1 – All of the medical opinions along with the research I’ve done suggests that an 8 to 10 week recovery is in store for McDavid. The all-star break starts Jan 23, with play resuming Feb 2.

So bet on that being when McDavid returns – it’s unlikely he comes back much before that anyway, and it makes sense to take advantage of that week.

2 – By my count, that means he’s going to miss 37 games. Ouch. Basically half the season.

3 – Games missed:

FLAMES
    COYOTES
    SHARKS
    PANTHERS
    LIGHTNING
    STARS

4 – Very encouraged by the D performance last night, esp. Griffin Reinhart. That game was him showing everything we hoped he’d be.

Think about this reality: despite the brilliance of McDavid, this years results are more dependent on the defense and the goaltending, and what TMc can squeeze out of the rest of the team, than it is about Connor McDavid.

The team is less fun to watch without him, but then again … Draisaitl. Nurse. Davidson. Reinhart.

72. dustrock says:

Pouzar: So the Pens are a worse possession team than Philly.I wonder if we can put out 2 solid efforts in row.

Guess who has Malkin and Letang in his pool? Sigh. Sekera and Klefbom have more points than Letang.

73. ashley says:

Jon K: Just fuck right off. Plates? Screws? Fuck you.

What’s wrong with plates and screws? “The only way to heal is with cold hard steel.” Titanium actually, but it doesn’t quite have the same rhythm.

74. dustrock says:

Also, don’t know if anyone’s missed it, but that was a very Sharks-under-McLellan like performance. That’s the first time everything clicked to me, from the D/NZ breakouts, the forecheck, the PP, the shot volume, and even the composure and keeping the foot on the gas.

75. DBO says:

So Derek Roy perhaps?

Slot him with Yak and Pou, put Eberle with Lander, keep Draisatl on wing with Nuge and Hall. Unicorns!

76. Jon K says:

ashley: What’s wrong with plates and screws?“The only way to heal is with cold hard steel.”Titanium actually, but it doesn’t quite have the same rhythm.

It was more reacting to my positive assumptions being dashed. That’ll teach me to be optimistic.

77. RENNAVATE says:

ashley:
    Tough break last night, but if you had to pick your injury, a clavicle fracture is a good one to pick.Especially if it’s midshaft.

A clavicle fracture will heal better than new and stronger than ever.Trivia: The clavicle is the most commonly fractured long bone.

While many in Canada leave these to heal on their own, surgery is a good choice….but of course I’m biased.Reduction is anatomic providing proper shoulder girdle stability immediately after surgery.Also, healing time is faster with less risk of delayed union/non-union.Assuming the risk of infection can be avoided.

Keep in mind great athletes like Lance Armstrong were cycling 1-2 days after surgery and were competing withing 2 weeks.Cycling is a non-contact sport of course, but it gives you an idea how surgery can accelerate this process.

“Long-term” will not be that long.He’ll be skating within a week I would guess, and taking light contact in a month with a view to returning.And I suspect he will still challenge for the Calder.

This makes me feel a ton better.

78. G Money says:

My philosophical approach to life is that everything can be captured with either a Simpson quote or a Rush lyric. Here’s a little-known and underappreciated Rush gem that pretty much captures the day.

“How It Is”

Here’s a little trap
    That sometimes catches everyone
    When today’s as far as we can see
    Faith in bright tomorrows
    Giving way to resignation
    That’s how it is
    How it’s going to be

It’s such a cloudy day
    Seems we’ll never see the sun
    Or feel the day has possibilities
    Frozen in the moment…
    The lack of imagination
    Between how it is and how it ought to be

Here’s a little trap
    That sometimes trips up everyone
    When we tire of our own company
    Sometimes we’re the last to see beyond the day’s frustrations
    That’s how it is
    How it’s going to be

It’s such a cloudy day
    Seems we’ll never see the sun
    I feel the day is all uncertainty
    Burning in the moment
    Trapped by the desperation
    Between how it is and how it ought to be

Foot upon the stair
    Shoulder to the wheel
    You can’t tell yourself not to care
    You can’t tell yourself how to feel
    That’s how it is
    Another cloudy day

79. DocFan says:

We all need to take a step back. Keep in mind Chia is not a physician and is getting information 3rd hand (doctor –> Connor –> who knows who else –> Chia).

At this point in time, the important thing to keep in mind is that there is no reliable prediction of how long he will be out. He will need to have surgery, see how successful it is, and then reassess every couple of weeks to see how healing is taking place. There is no way to accurately predict how long this period of healing will be. It could be as little as 6 weeks or as long as 12 weeks – all depends on healing. This is NOT a season ending injury or an injury that has long term consequences.

Plates and screws are not a big deal. If anything, in this case, it will improve the chances of healing, perhaps even speed it up as mentioned above by Ashley.
    On the scale of sports injuries, this is like a 2-3/10. It sucks, but it’s not the end of the world. The Sky is NOT falling!

Everyone has to take all that conjecture and heresay from MSM etc with a grain of salt. Every piece of info is biased and is subject to misinterpretation as information is passed along.

This is a part of hockey, and we as fans know that it happens to almost all players. He will come back, and we will be fine.

80. G Money says:

DBO,

Isn’t Roy playing in Europe?

81. DocFan says:

ashley: Well with Chia saying months, it makes you wonder if it’s not a simple midshaft fracture.Maybe there is AC joint involvement which happens in a minority of clavicle fracture cases.Or maybe he’s setting the worst case scenerio so McDavid can come back earlier and everyone, especially McDavid will look like heroes.

Among straight forward clavicle fractures, there was an NFL linebacker who went back to sport 3 weeks after surgery without complication.I would never advise this personally.Full NHL contact is going to be at least 5-6 weeks with firm clinical evidence of solid bone union.

THIS!

82. RexLibris says:

Rex Codex Libris ‏@CodexRex 42s42 seconds ago

@Lowetide @BruceMcCurdy Docs will open McDavid, find bionic shoulder pre-installed, hit re-boot and he’ll be back before Grey Cup.

83. HugThePost says:

I hope Chia is underselling the prognosis, and wouldn’t be surprised if he is.

MacT would be saying surgery today, practice tomorrow, likely back by next week.

Sorry, I had to take a shot at TBOTB; they are there now for all of us to direct our frustration at.

84. böök¡je says:

I’m a Dr too and honestly, you can just give him some pain meds, tape him up and send him out there to play. The collerbone is already broken so what is there to worry about.

I should mention that my doctorate is in Geography and Planning, but I don’t see how that is relevant here. Just send him out.

We wants our McDavid!

85. Dicky94 says:

Pouzar,

Lol. Just stirring the pot.

86. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAint'sSo! says:

ashley,

He stuck around with team doctors until after the game. Me thinks that they are simply high balling it and taking the long approach to recovery. This is smart, you do not want to rush another 18 year old back from injury. The Oilers have a history of this and it has hurt them in the eyes of players and agents.

Let the man heal, he will be fine.

Plates and screws are used to make sure that bone heals as intended and does not move.

When i broke my collarbone all I had was a sling and what I called my “collar bra” (just pulled your shoulders back). It took a solid week before that thing stopped shifting around (I still cringe just thinking about it) and I was back skating/playing in about 7 weeks.

The earth has not collapsed and everyone just needs to take a pill. Yes its a big loss but lets at least give the players still on the ice a chance before we start writing the entire season off.

87. DBO says:

G Money,

He may be, but I believe he can come over (they usually have out clauses) mid season. He would need to pass through waivers (I believe this is the case cause he has played professionally somewhere), but don’t expect anyone would claim him.

88. delooper says:

Well, a plus side is that with the surgery his clavicle should have essentially the same geometry after the injury as it had before. Pretty much total recovery (although the bone will likely have a different stiffness than originally). Also, he’ll be able to skate and do lower-body exercises very soon. So getting back into games shouldn’t be difficult once he’s healed.

89. Cameron says:

dustrock:

I laughed.What else can you do?

I do hope we get a veteran C though, I just can’t look at the 2016 draft in November again.I can’t do it, I’ll more likely tune out.

I laughed too, but mostly because I am a terrible person.

90. Snowman says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAint’sSo!,

If I recall correctly, Ashley is a doctor. So you may be educating the wrong person with your experience.

91. frjohnk says:

You mean I have to wait until at least mid Jan until I get to see McDavid play 3 on 3 for the first time?

92. Adam Wu says:

böök¡je:
    I’m a Dr too and honestly, you can just give him some pain meds, tape him up and send him out there to play.The collerbone is already broken so what is there to worry about.

I should mention that my doctorate is in Geography and Planning, but I don’t see how that is relevant here.Just send him out.

We wants our McDavid!

Hey, cats get around just fine with NO collarbones, why can’t McDavid?

Chachi: Of all the hysterical and strange things that have been said about the injury this is the worst I have seen.Did Jesus teach people to be judgmental and snotty?Time to turn the other cheek.

And you completely misunderstand what “turn the other cheek” means. One turns the other cheek when personally attacked, not when wrongs are done to others.

94. Melman says:

Since McDavid will be out a couple months, it might well be that the first step getting the team immediate help is to fast forward making a trade to fix the D. A better D is needed anyway and they can let Dr Drai slide into the middle first vs. giving up too much for C help that will only be needed for a couple months.

95. dustrock says:

Cameron: I laughed too, but mostly because I am a terrible person.

I appreciate the mostly. I think.

96. delooper says:

Medical technology may have changed but around 1998 when I broke my collar bone there were studies out indicating recovery times were longer and failure to heal rates were higher for plates-and-screws treatments of broken clavicles. The rationale the surgeon I talked to (both in New York and at the U of A hospital) was that the screws can slightly impede blood flow through the bone. And the blood flow is so slight to begin with, it can sometimes kill the bone. I don’t recall the rates they were talking about were, though, so we could be talking about uniformly small numbers.

97. RexLibris says:

Melman:
    Since McDavid will be out a couple months, it might well be that the first step getting the team immediate help is to fast forward making a trade to fix the D.A better D is needed anyway and they can let Dr Drai slide into the middle first vs. giving up too much for C help that will only be needed for a couple months.

Agreed.

D help is required and then can slide Draisaitl to the middle. Absent the McDavid injury we’d be talking only today about a dominant performance against a team they had to beat last night and the return or their 1st line RW for next game.

This team is nowhere near as vulnerable as I think they are being made out to be.

The D needs work. Or they at least need to stop dressing Ference altogether.

98. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

This is a blessing in disguise especially regarding the development of Draisaitl. With Eberle set to come back soon Leon was headed to 3rd line now he’s likely 2nd line center eventually. Gives him that much more ice time and responsibility so when Connor does come back….bam unicorns. McDavid’s presence might well have saved Yak’s career (in Edm anyways) and helped stabilize Drai’s.

This injury sucks but now we get to see Leon Draisaitl blossom in front of us. That sounded weird.

99. RexLibris says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 3m3 minutes ago

“It sucks… I’m sure he’s pretty heartbroken, but we’re going to be there and help him get through it.” @hallsy04

That’s what I want to hear.

100. rickithebear says:

Davidson-Klefbom have better 1st comp numbers
    Rheinhart and Fayne upper 2nd comp have better
    HSCA numbers.

101. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

RexLibris:
    Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 3m3 minutes ago

God what a shitty attitude. #taylorhallcharacterproblems

102. leadfarmer says:

Jon K,

Yes that’s what surgery for a clavicle fracture entails. If you don’t plate it than you haven’t done anything. He should recover well and be back in a couple months. I assume that the displacement wasn’t that severe to affect underlying neurovascular bundle.

103. leadfarmer says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

Yeah he’s just happy to have all the attention back on him :). I really like his maturity level this season. Wish he had a little better shot, but if that’s all I can say about him that’s a huge compliment

104. Cyanide says:

delooper,

I broke my scaphoid bone in 2001. Granted it is not a clavicle which I have little knowledge on. But with the scaphoid bone there is little to no blood flow to that bone, and because of this, all the specialists I seen said it needed a screw (and a plate made from my own bone) to heal. My scaphoid bone had been broken for almost 2 yrs before I actually went to see a doctor because I was a dumb kid, and figured i could power through it.
    So in 2003 when i talked to all the specialists their comments were; no to litlte blood flow = pins and plates. Like I said before not a clavicle but similar to little to know blood flow.

105. Water Fire says:

godot10:
    The most significant thing that carpenter from Nazareth did was suffer.

As they say, be careful what you wish for.Because your wish may be granted.

Truth, but it’s hockey!

Doug McLachlan:

Derek Roy was $1M last season and it would be a pro-rated amount now.Not a replacement for McDavid but a useful piece who we know can play with Yak (whose improved play this year has been almost as enjoyable as McDavid’s to watch).

Lander is a far better player than Roy, and given good wingers is willing to be the net presence. He’s also bought and paid for. RNH Lander Letestu It Doesn’t Matter Much, and Neon Leon in the wings. Center Depth, let’s use it.

Thanks for the update, relieved somewhat.

The Oilers were really puck dominant but the let downs still kill them, fatal mistakes.

I’ll let this go now, but when Gryba and Gazdic are on the ice and a semi goon like Umberger jumps on the goalie and nothing happens, what’s the point of having them? And Pakarinen with his size needs to be there as well.

An easy way to recommend himself to the the coach and GM. I would really like to see a little more fire from most of them, some pride in the team.

106. Snowman says:

Water Fire,

Gryba is here to play defence. He’s not here to punch faces. Pakarinen is definitely not here to punch faces. Gazdic is probably here to punch faces but the game situation at the time of the play dictates that he shouldn’t punch any faces at that point (down 2-1 iirc).

The real problem is nobody should be here to punch any faces or go after any body. Whole team needs to stand up for itself and make people pay with the powerplay (which has been pretty good).

The mentality regarding retribution needs to change. Losing teams punch faces, winning teams score goals.

107. Water Fire says:

Snowman:
    Water Fire,

I agree with you, I’m not talking about payback really, I’m talking about a reaction. Tell me what good team let’s opponents dog pile the goalie? I’m not talking slap shot, but the team toughness you mention.

Players like Umberger, who I see as a semi thug, bully type, like Backes, will do their thing but I think are encouraged by teams with no spine. It’s about not being willing to be treated like that, stand up for yourself and each other.

Gryba is not a good player. He is a large player who specializes in hard hitting and breaking cycles. To me that is exactly who should be challenging Umberger. I don’t want Nurse having to do it because he is a very good player. if anyone gets a sheet at mission control it shouldn’t be the talent. It’s common sense to me.

Pakarinen isn’t a fighter, but he isn’t small and needs to pull his weight. To me if you aren’t a high scorer you pull your weight more in the other departments – sound defensive play, special teams, go to the net, team toughness. Not to mention being the guy your GM is talking about and looking for, if you want an NHL job.

108. tapper says:

No way do you break up that top line. You only mess with their chemistry if/when that line starts to struggle. Otherwise, ride their success.

Part of that success is due to Drai’s size which allows for reasonable forechecking and 3 guys who have decent puck protection. The former helps create turnovers. The latter helps extend the cycle. Neither of those are Eberle’s strengths. I’d put Hendricks back on that line, he brings some of the same, before I’d put Eberle.

Before McD got hurt, I was wondering if Eberle should start on Lander’s line, maybe provide some wizardry and find some chemistry, get Lander producing, then you really have something.

109. Chachi says:

godot10,

You seem to take it personally anytime McJesus was used here. Given the hateful things you have said about a certain former coach (and just now calling a bunch of people delusional ignorant yahoos) you hardly seem to be the right choice to be a moral arbiter of anything.

110. Adam Wu says:

Ca$h-McMoney!: God what a shitty attitude.#taylorhallcharacterproblems

The narrative, naturally, will be that McDavid’s magical leadership powers inspired Hall to become a better man…. Before McDavid he was just junk….

111. Seismic Source says:

I’m willing to donate my clavicle.

112. Магия 10 says:

delooper: Medical technology may have changed but around 1998 when I broke my collar bone there were studies out indicating recovery times were longer and failure to heal rates were higher for plates-and-screws treatments of broken clavicles. The rationale the surgeon I talked to (both in New York and at the U of A hospital) was that the screws can slightly impede blood flow through the bone.And the blood flow is so slight to begin with, it can sometimes kill the bone. I don’t recall the rates they were talking about were, though, so we could be talking about uniformly small numbers.

113. Adam Wu says:

godot10: The delusional ignorant yahoos who insisted on the metaphor got their wish granted. If something is wrong, speaking against the wrongness is the right thing to do.

Um, the metaphor is that the fellow from Nazareth suffered *so that others would not have to*, that the net and gross suffering in the world DECREASES because of him. Don’t see anything remotely resembling that in this situation. The suffering seems to have increased for ALL.

Unless, of course, his injury inspires the team to come together and reach new heights of excellence, exorcising the demons of their deficiencies, and when he returns, he returns to a remade, reborn team, cleansed of imperfection and ready to receive his leadership, which he subsequently leads to the promised land….

I suppose that could happen. I’m not putting money on it, though.

Chachi:
    godot10,

You seem to take it personally anytime McJesus was used here.Given the hateful things you have said about a certain former coach (and just now calling a bunch of people delusional ignorant yahoos) you hardly seem to be the right choice to be a moral arbiter of anything.

And I am not being a moral arbiter. I have no power. I am merely expressing an opinion.

115. russ99 says:

The McJesus thing was cute at first, but now he’s an Oiler it seems silly.

A nickname you’d never use directly to that person is a weak nickname.

Also, can we just give Hall the C already? He’s earned it on and off the ice,

116. HugThePost says:

I for one would like to see hockey players start using more creative nicknames. You know, something a little more cerebral that adding “sy” to the end of their last name or and “s”.

How about calling 97 “Braveheart” as an homage to his scottish name and the fact he is our cosmic hockey warrior who is going to free us from our decades-long Stanley Cup drought?

117. Adam Wu says:

Seismic Source:
    I’m willing to donate my clavicle.

But even if clavicle transplants are or become possible, they will still require plates and screws to attach!

118. Adam Wu says:

McJesus, frankly, would be a much better nickname for a goaltender….

119. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Glad to see the discourse finally starting to turn for the better with respect to Hall. It only took back-to-back 3 point games to do it. Who knew?

Adam Wu:

…which he subsequently leads to the promised land….

Another poor metaphor. Moses never made it to the promised land.

121. 4th_Line_Plug says:

Hopefully Yak gets moved up to that top line.

Hall-nuge-Yak
    Pouliot-drai-eberle
    Same
    Same

Nurse needs to go back down until they trade Fayne.

122. Bag of Pucks says:

russ99:
    The McJesus thing was cute at first, but now he’s an Oiler it seems silly.

A nickname you’d never use directly to that person is a weak nickname.

True dat, but it did lead to a classic tweet last night post-injury.

‘McJesus died for our wins.’

123. Halfwise says:

Chachi: you hardly seem to be the right choice to be a moral arbiter of anything

When did you get appointed sheriff? I must have missed the announcement.

There’s another parable about motes and beams, might want to check it out.

124. ironsight says:

As a short-term backfill for depth at C, would there be any support here for signing a guy like Stephen Weiss, Mike Richards or even Derek Roy? I know Lander is already here, but seriously, the guy hasn’t pissed a drop of offense all season and now we’re asking him to bat higher in the order without adequately backfilling the role he was already in?

125. John Chambers says:

ironsight:
    As a short-term backfill for depth at C, would there be any support here for signing a guy like Stephen Weiss, Mike Richards or even Derek Roy?I know Lander is already here, but seriously, the guy hasn’t pissed a drop of offense all season and now we’re asking him to bat higher in the order without adequately backfilling the role he was already in?

I’m curious to see what Chiarelli does. Id like to see Weiss invited to practice with the team. Richards could be a liability, but offers tremendous upside in case he’s interested in bringing his career back to life. Regarding the latter I think it’s a risk worth taking if the player can get into game shape in two weeks.

126. Lois Lowe says:

russ99,

His moniker should be Apollo.

127. Rake 2.0 says:

I’d like to see,

Pou Nuge Ebs reunited
    Hall Drai Yak
    and our current 3rd and 4th lines

128. John Chambers says:

In the short term I’d prefer to keep Drai on the wing where he’s having success with 4 and 93.

Lander steps up into McDavids spot in an offensive role, while Letestu centres Hendricks and Purcell / Eberle.

Maybe when Eberle returns they can slot Hendricks as 4C.

129. ashley says:

Магия 10: A small amount of googling turns up similar stuff, with surgery used when the break is too much of a mess to heal naturally.

No question, surgical treatment of a clavicle fracture is controversial, but that is because of a debate of whether a nonoperative or operative approach provides the least number of complications for the population treated.

With regards to recovery time, there is no doubt that clavicles treated surgically heal much faster.

Here is a quick google scholars search with ample evidence including a metaanalysis turned up in the second article.

Also, there is lots of blood flow to a broken clavicle. It’s much different than a scaphoid or fifth metatarsal, as examples.

Be careful of what you read on the internet. 🙂

130. HugThePost says:

I agree, Richards has a lot of potential positive if he sees the opportunity and seizes it.

The question is, if the mind is willing, would his body be able? There are a lot of hard miles on him.

Kind of sucks that we’re here, but there is not doubt we are in interesting times for Chia and his leadership.

131. Yeti says:

godot10: Another poor metaphor.Moses never made it to the promised land.

He got stuck in Calgary?

132. Bag of Pucks says:

Cameron: I laughed too, but mostly because I am a terrible person.

Flames fan. Terrible person.

Tomato. Tomato.

133. Kmart99 says:

John Chambers:

Well, Hall and Drai are really working well together so I wouldn’t break them up. You’re right about that, but maybe you have Drai center Hall and Yak in order to get last year’s top line of
    Pouliot – Nuge – Ebs back together. They were killer last season and could be a good combo.

maybe? Drai as a top 2C right now is a little scary, but i’m not hating that idea.

134. Adam Wu says:

godot10: Another poor metaphor.Moses never made it to the promised land.

The metaphor is LEAD, not make it to himself. Mr. drawn-from-the-water lead them all to the very border, to the point that he got to see it across the border.

135. Kmart99 says:

Wide range for healing time. Especially since PC didn’t reveal if the fracture was level I II or III.

Healing time with surgery could be 2-8 weeks, rehab is another 2-3 weeks. Then for precautionary purposes he may take another 1-2 weeks before taking contact.

Max 12-13 weeks though. Which isn’t the worst thing ever.

136. Adam Wu says:

Bag of Pucks: Flames fan. Terrible person.

Tomato. Tomato.

Well, he needed SOMETHING to distract him from having to pay attention to how his own team is performing these days.

There must be a special place in you-know-where for people who derive pleasure from injuries to 18y old kids….

137. Bag of Pucks says:

Leon has to move to 2C imo

Neither Lander or Letestu are viable Top 6 Fs.

You can’t match up against the Getzlaf’s and Kesler’s of this league with RNH and a colostomy bag.

138. John Chambers says:

Kmart99,

The Oilers have 6 players who could line up at Centre without seeming terribly out of place. The depth chart, if you like:
    RNH
    McDavid
    Lander
    Letestu
    Hendricks
    Draisaitl

A lot depends on whether Lander will have success as a 2C. That’s the avenue I would pursue first, thereby answering the much debated question of whether he can produce with quality linemates.

If that doesn’t work out the next best option would be to try Drai in the 2C role, which becomes simpler once Eberle returns to the lineup.

If 2C (Poo – X – Yak) still don’t have success it would be worthwhile to have a Weiss or Matthias ready to step in if for no other reason than to put everyone else back into more comfortable roles.

139. dustrock says:

Friend who works for a firm in the city who have held gold seats since 1979 were very early to pick their seats for the new arena.

Sounds like Katz has essentially already given out equivalent seats, aisle seats, good views to his friends and sponsors, ignoring the long-time fans.

140. Dominoiler says:

There wont be a trade (Chai made that clear, imo). I think it’s just the fan in everyone of us that would want a trade, but realistically the blue is worse off than todays centre depth chart (and no trade is coming there either).. Hands are tied, the team is just going to have to show some character and rise to the challenge. Plus, as has likely been said many times today, Eberle is coming back and that frees up Drai to re-balance the 2nd line.. the Unicorns will have to wait for McDavid’s return..

PS this long time shit show isnt going anywhere significant (playoffs, round 1 or beyond) until the blue mature, so who cares.. they ARE getting better (the blue / the oil), even without shultz i might as well add, so really it changes little (except our excitement for every game is now down significantly, damn McDavid is unreal)..

141. Магия 10 says:

Kmart99:
    Wide range for healing time.Especially since PC didn’t reveal if the fracture was level I II or III.

Max 12-13 weeks though.Which isn’t the worst thing ever.

That max works out to returning right after the All Star Break. Of course he won’t want to return a week after that as missing 43 games would carry over his first year of ELC.

142. Halfwise says:

dustrock:

If I had been a season ticket holder continuously since 1979 and DIDN’T get first choice of seats in the new building I would be supremely pissed off.

What other basis would work better?

Edit: Apologies, I mis-read your posting. If the Tier One fans are being scooped by Tier Zero friends, that’s just wrong.

143. bendelson says:

dustrock:

Yeah, the rumours flying around these days are not good. My family has held seats since 1979 and well… at this point, we are simply hoping to have something similar available when we make our selections in mid-fucking December!

It would be a real shame to have to walk away from the Oilers at this point… but it is being quietly discussed. We will see how it turns out. Potentially ,DEVASTATING!

144. rickithebear says:

15-16
    Hall-Draisatl 30.1min 5.97 GF60
    RNH-Draisatl 30.5min 5.89 GF60
    Hall-Hendricks 35.6min 5.06 GF60
    RNH -Hendricks 33.1 min 5.44 GF60
    Pouliot-Yak 127.5min 4.24 GF60
    14-15
    Pouliot-Yak 180.4 min 2.33GF60
    Pouliot-Eberle 423 min 3.40 GF60
    Pouliot-Hall @ C 65.5min 4.59 GF60

145. stevezie says:

bendelson: We have had so many devastating losses around here, I guess we were overdue for a devastating win.

Classic bendelson

146. delooper says:

ashley,

Thanks for the expertise. I probably would have preferred my clavicle to be treated surgically. It set a little out of position so now it’s a little shorter than it was originally. It’s not a big problem but it can cause little annoyances.

147. Chachi says:

Halfwise,

Never appointed Sherrif, just sick and tired of the whiny drivel being spewed about this.

148. Pouzar says:

Dicky94:
    Pouzar,

Lol. Just stirring the pot.

PHEW. ha ha

149. Sugar Reijo says:

Adam Wu: But I’m not sure how turning sticks into serpents, talking to burning bushes, or prophesying the slaughtered of the first born has anything to do with Oilers hockey.

I can make the connection but it has nothing to do with Moses. Just alcoholism.

150. Pouzar says:

Cameron: I laughed too, but mostly because I am a terrible person.

What a coincidence…..

151. Pouzar says:

Shocked at the number of people pencilling in Drai at 2C.

Way too early for that imo.
    Leave Line 1 alone.

152. G Money says:

BTW, I NerdAlerted my comments and timelines and projected schedule information above (for reference mostly). Key point: McDavid I expect will miss two Phlegms and one Nucklehead game.

153. Pouzar says:

Gregor has Eberle back on Friday.

154. Магия 10 says:

G Money:

155. TeeVee says:

Pouzar:
    Gregor has Eberle back on Friday.

Let’s hope this isn’t rushing him.

156. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAint'sSo! says:

Pouzar,

Agreed, Drai is running at over a 2ppg with Hall-Nuge, keep em together

I don’t know if I like tossing Yak out with the bathwater on the 2nd line though. Dunno where I put him but he is playing well right now. Might give Ebs a turn on 3rd line for the weekend and have him run sorties on the 2nd PP unit.

If Yak-Pou start to cool down or get swallowed on that line against the Pens/LAK then shake it up.

157. LoDog says:

Hell to pay over a nickname based on an imaginary person. Sweet.

158. G Money says:

Pouzar,

Not sure why folks are worked up about the lines. We’ve seen the McBlender before, we’ll see it again until he can (hopefully) find at least two competent lines.

We know Hall-RNH-Drai works.
    We know Hall-RNH-Eberle works.
    We know Pou-RNH-Eberle works.

That gives TMc the ability to experiment with some combination of any of Pou, Drai, Hall, or Eberle on the second line to find something that also works.

159. Eastern Oil says:

I personally think this whole situation will result in the real life version of “Rookie of the Year” and he is going to return even better and with a 160 mph slap shot.

The only problem is going to be finding that crusty veteran on the team to end up with Connor’s mom (and his dad might be upset about it).

160. G Money says:

Магия 10: Your list brings him back for 4 games before the All Star break. Unless they are still in the playoff hunt I could see them shutting him down until after the break.

I have him out for all the games up to Jan 23rd, which is the start of the all-star break week. Unless I’m missing something, there are no games from the 23rd to Feb 2nd. So I expect the first game back for McDavid would be that Feb 2nd game against CBJ, after the all-star break.

161. 719 says:

Rake 2.0:
    I’d like to see,

Pou Nuge Ebs reunited
    Hall Drai Yak
    and our current 3rd and 4th lines

I would have to agree, see how that works out. Hall and Drai seem to have real chemistry, and Yak has in the past played well with Hall in short bursts. We also know Pou/Nuge/Ebs did well when playing together.

162. Sugar Reijo says:

LoDog:
    Hell to pay over a nickname based on an imaginary person. Sweet.

S/he’s a witch! Burn him/her! 🙂

163. dustrock says:

Pouzar: Shocked at the number of people pencilling in Drai at 2C.Way too early for that imo.Pou/Ebs can carry a line by themselves and Lander can cover the bet defensively.Leave Line 1 alone.

Yup. I think we’ll see Drai stay up there until he struggles, and then McLellan will pop Eberle right back into place.

164. Магия 10 says:

dustrock: Hall is playing the best hockey of his life. He is far, far, far better defensively, he’s dumping the puck in more intelligently, and now he’s got his spots picked for transition.

Tied for 3rd overall in points.

165. hags9k says:

Love Leon, but I don’t yet see him (or Lander) as a good enough puck carrier through the neutral zone. Without 97 we have Nuge and Hall who do the zone exits and entries real well and push it through the neutral zone swiftly. If you don’t want to see Yak regress, I think he needs 4 or 93. I know Nuge and Yak haven’t set the world on fire in the past, but Pouliot is playing really good hockey and will help. I’d be tempted to try this.

4-29-14
    67-93-10

or this

4-29-10
    67-93-14

166. Магия 10 says:

G Money: I have him out for all the games up to Jan 23rd, which is the start of the all-star break week.Unless I’m missing something, there are no games from the 23rd to Feb 2nd.So I expect the first game back for McDavid would be that Feb 2nd game against CBJ, after the all-star break.

sorry. read that on my phone and only saw the bottom of the longer away list. missed the final home stretch.

167. Bag of Pucks says:

Pouzar:

Pou/Ebs can carry a line by themselves….

Your Eberle love knows no bounds, nor ‘reason’ apparently.

Now he doesn’t even need a C to light it up.

Guy’s a demi-god.

168. Armchair GM says:

I broke my collarbone playing high school soccer a lifetime ago. (Opponent was a two sport football/soccer athlete and when his coach yelled ‘tackle him’ his arms wrapped around me as he drove me into the pitch. Wrong type of tackle.) Fortunately I didn’t have to endure the fiction that I was injured on a tough soccer play. McDavid won’t say anything but the replay sure looks like a left hand is grabbing at his hip at the same time that he loses his (is pulled off) balance.

Anyway, you can keep your cardio up and work on your leg strength but most upper body exercises are impossible. Of course I imagine many advances have been made to rehab this kind of injury over the past 4 decades but I distinctly remember how frustrating it was to become so limited in what I was allowed to do with what seems like such a minor injury.

Fortunately, elite athletes like McDavid often have ‘Wolverine-like’ recuperative powers, so his experience will most likely be much more positive than mine.

169. delooper says:

The first couple of nights are awful. So difficult to find a comfortable sleeping position. My back seized up, because of how awkwardly I was sleeping.

170. Keith says:

The Hall – Nuge – Drai line is the hottest in the NHL right now. Drai has 7 points in three games, Hall is riding a 4 game multiple point night streak, and Nuge has gone 3-6-9 in the last 6 games. It would be insane to bust this line up.

171. lynn says:

With the McDavid injury, a Yak trade is near.

172. delooper says:

With a McDavid injury, I have an uncontrollable urge to howl every night when I first see the moon.

173. jonrmcleod says:

godot10: Another poor metaphor.Moses never made it to the promised land.

Technically, Moses did lead Israel to the promised land but not into the promised land.

jonrmcleod: Technically, Moses did lead Israel to the promised land but not into into the promised land.

175. Clay says:

delooper:
    The first couple of nights are awful.So difficult to find a comfortable sleeping position. My back seized up, because of how awkwardly I was sleeping.

Drugs.

176. freedomisamyth says:

godot10: They (and apparently you) are ignorant, and I said precisely why, because they are clueless as to the meaning of the metaphor they (and you) are promoting, and proud of their ignorance.

And I am not being a moral arbiter.I have no power.I am merely expressing an opinion.

You are apparently ignorant of what a metaphor is, since you seem to think that it needs to be a comparison of two things that are completely the same in every way. In fact, the way you are defining things is not a metaphor at all, since by definition a metaphor is based on some characteristic, not ALL characteristics – otherwise people would be saying McDavid is literally jesus, not metaphorically.

So, endlessly tirading about the ignorance of using that metaphor is silly, since it’s quite reasonable to use the metaphor to describe how McDavid is supposedly our savior (or various other characteristics that are easily applicable) without literally implying that he should be crucified, die for our sins, blah blah blah.

I understand that some can get offended at comparing anyone to Jesus in any way, but sometimes you just need to take a deep breath and relax.

177. admiralmark says:

I think it’s time the Oilers website removes the MIC medical imaging commercial that says “go where the pros go”. Like come on…a) Do we have to be subjected to that commercial multiple times during 1 visit? And 2) It’s obviously very very bad Juju.

178. Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker) says:

What happens to the McDavid RFA if he is on IR?

freedomisamyth:

I’m always relaxed. You guys are the ones who seem offended that anyone dare criticize you. How you are characterizing an 18-year old kid is offensive.

180. Магия 10 says:

Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker):
    What happens to the McDavid RFA if he is on IR?

Магия 10: nothing. unless he missed 43 games in which case next year becomes the first year of his elc. this is drai’s first year because of going down before 40th game played.

A year of the entry level contract is burned with 10 games played. McDavid has already burned one. Draisaitl is in the 2nd year of his entry level contract.

40 games played relates to using up one of the seven years towards UFA status.

182. Chachi says:

godot10,

“And anyone who called him McJesus is responsible for his injury and anyone who disagrees is ignorant!” Very relaxed and rational position to take.

Chachi:
    godot10,

I didn’t say they were responsible. I said they got what they (implicitly) wished for. You don’t have to wish for something that you have the means to achieve yourself.

184. Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker) says:

godot10,

Right, but if you don’t play 40 due to injury, do you still count against the RFA window because you are on IR? I can’t find a similar situation since the new CBA.

185. Bag of Pucks says:

Some folks enjoy freedom of religion. I would enjoy freedom from religion.

Takes all kinds to make a world.

186. freedomisamyth says:

godot10: I’m always relaxed.You guys are the ones who seem offended that anyone dare criticize you.How you are characterizing an 18-year old kid is offensive.

Dude you are the one here who is offended about anything haha. The rest of us just think you are weird and are trying to understand your logic.

You just called a large portion of the Oiler fanbase “delusional ignorant yahoos” because you don’t understand what a metaphor is. If you had said “I think it’s offensive to compare anyone to our lord and savior, Jesus, especially an 18 year old kid”, at least that might be a defensible point and maybe some may have shrugged and thought you might be a bit uptight, but not think any further about it. But instead you constantly bring it up and call people names with logic that is frankly ridiculous.

The only reason I even commented is because it just seems like such a bizarre thing to be offended about – unless you really are offended because you think it’s offensive to Jesus to compare anyone to him, instead of what you’ve actually been saying…in which case, just say that.

godot10: I didn’t say they were responsible.I said they got what they (implicitly) wished for.You don’t have to wish for something that you have the means to achieve yourself.

Come on man, I don’t even begin to understand how anyone can possibly make the logical leap that a metaphor comparing mcdavid to jesus implicitly wishes that mcdavid gets hurt. And you are calling others delusional?

187. teamblue says:

Unless I’m remembering wrong, which is a very real possibility, Drai’s elc kicked in last year, but his UFA eligibility was held off an extra year by being sent down before the 40th game.I think this is his 2nd year of his ELC.

Generalfanager is showing this being Drai’s 2nd year of his ELC as well.

edit: see godot was quicker on post than me

freedomisamyth:

None of the yahoos would have the nerve to call McDavid that to his face. It is intentional boorishness towards an eighteen year old kid.

It is what it is.

189. Магия 10 says:

godot10: A year of the entry level contract is burned with 10 games played.McDavid has already burned one.Draisaitl is in the 2nd year of his entry level contract.

40 games played relates to using up one of the seven years towards UFA status.

Thanks for the correction. Thought it affected first RFA date as well.

190. freedomisamyth says:

godot10: None of the yahoos would have the nerve to call McDavid that to his face.It is intentional boorishness towards an eighteen year old kid.

It is what it is.

Why? Because he’d be mad? I’m sure he’d be mighty embarrassed, and yes, it’s a silly name, but I guarantee he wouldn’t take it anywhere near as seriously as you seem to. I wouldn’t even call it boorish – it’s just silly. It’s not like they are calling him fuckface or something.

191. Adam Wu says:

For them to get what they implicitly wished for, McDavid must return, miraculously, to the lineup after 3 games….

192. Pouzar says:

Bag of Pucks: Your Eberle love knows no bounds, nor ‘reason’ apparently.

Now he doesn’t even need a C to light it up.

Guy’s a demi-god.

Yer all about the stats sunshine.