EBERLE’S BACK!

Rob Vollman tweeted out his latest equivalencies this afternoon, and it’s probably a good point in the season to see how some of these young prospects are tracking. I’m compiling the Winter Top 20 and as you may know, NHLE is a contributing factor in the rankings.

After tweeting that out, Rob noticed there were some items that needed to be tweaked:

Rob doesn’t publish an NHL for the USHL, so this look excluded John Marino. All numbers per 82GP.

bear

OILERS CURRENT NHLE’S AMONG BUBBLING UNDERS

1. D Ethan Bear 4-18-22
  2. L Evan Campbell 5-15-20
  3. D Ziyat Paigin 6-12-18
  4. F Tyler Vesel 0-17-17
  5. D Caleb Jones 3-11-14
  6. D William Lagesson 0-9-9
  7. F Aidan Muir 5-0-5

Bear was in town last night, playing for the Seattle Thunderbirds. Among junior and college players, Vollman’s NHLE suggests he is enjoying the best start to the year. I’ve got my eye on Ziyat Paigin’s progress, a KHL trade appears to have him in a better spot. Early days for all, we’ll see how this month rolls.

AHL PLAYERS (5 or more GP)

1. L Josh Winquist 23-23-46
  11. L Mitchell Moroz 5-5-10
  12. C Kyle Platzer 0-10-10
  13. L Kale Kessy 6-0-6
  14. D Darnell Nurse 0-6-6
  15. D Joey Laleggia 0-5-5
  16. L Braden Christoffer 0-5-5

Huh. The guy without a contract is doing well! Haha. Man. That’s funny. Early days mind, but our man Winquist surely earns a contract if this keeps up.

Jordan Eberle has been voted off Oilers island so many times he could star in Waterworld, but any Oilers fan with motor function knows this is a substantial player. Eberle’s arrival required a change in lines, this isn’t ideal (Leon facing the tough opposition is a major test) but if it works Edmonton will be far better off. My reading on this line change? Look for a spike in points for the Nuge, suspect he’ll see an easier opponent beginning tomorrow night. If you need a reminder, here’s Eberle’s 2014-15 season in a box:

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.97 (4th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 5.85 (1st among regular forwards)
  • Corsi for % 5×5: 50.4
  • Qual Comp: toughest among regular forwards (1nd line opp)
  • Qual Team: 2nd best teammates among regular forwards (top linemates)
  • Corsi Rel: 7.7
  • Zone Start: 63.7
  • Zone Finish: 56.2
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 183/13.1%
  • Boxcars: 81, 24-39-63

54 Responses to "EBERLE’S BACK!"

1. Protagonist says:

Excited to see Ethan Bear’s development as the CHL season progresses. He sounds like something that the Oilers need at the moment (bit of a puck-mover, bit of a mean streak, shot from the point). We’ve got enough of the steady feet in the NHL at the moment, we could use a bit of the crazy legs, and if it comes with a booming shot from the point all the better.

pro: Based on last night’s game, he plays a ton. Headman passes everywhere, he’s a good passer for sure. I saw his shot get blocked quite a bit, don’t know if it was a typical night or not. He’s a good prospect, after that we hope for the best.

3. sliderule says:

Was Connor’s fracture a compound or simple.

I had a compound from football and it took 4 months before I felt comfortable

Hope for best.

4. stush18 says:

LT when is our man JW going to get a contract? Seeriously I don understand why they don’t sign him. He doesn’t appear to have skating issues, and he has enough size to play in the top nine.

And I really hope they don’t lie and say they have enough skill. There’s no such thing.

Really hoping he doesn’t cut bait and sign elsewhere. I’m sure he’ll get the chance.

5. neojanus says:

sliderule,

Simple fracture, clean break, no tissue damage. 8-10 weeks in his case. 7-9 weeks in normal people.

6. Centre of attention says:

sliderule:
    Was Connor’s fracture a compound or simple.

I had a compound from football and it took 4 months before I felt comfortable

Hope for best.

Simple. Clean break from what I heard. Soft tissue all intact. I still think give him the extra 2 weeks.

This is going to sound like me being a fan boy but I’ll take my lashes:

IMO Eberle is a career Oiler. If that means signing a long term team friendly contract below $7 million [similar to Gio’s] I think he does it.

Me and my #14 Jersey are fine with that

You psycho’s leave my Eb’s alone. He’s a great fantasy player to own as well if you just plain don’t like the guy for what ever reason but still want to benefit from his point production. He’s remarkably consistent. He could bust out 60 points this season still just watch.

Why do we always have to vote “substantial” & consistent players off the island?

Why can’t we vote the kid who never quite made it [still hasn’t ] off?

No, instead Eberle haters want to vote off the guy with a sparkling Junior career, the guy who was a fan of the Oilers growing up. The guy who wants to play for this team and see it threw to the good times.

The only one on this roster with a 34(!!) goal season under his belt.

The leading goal scorer on the roster. He’s catching up to Smyth soon and he’s just getting started.

Yeah, lets vote that guy off.

Ridiculous. *sigh*

/end rant

7. Bad Seed says:

Centre of attention,

Simple – you gotta give to get.

8. v4ance says:

Some KHL teams in major trouble:

Slava Malamud ‏@SlavaMalamud 2m2 minutes ago
    KHL announced four teams banned from adding players until back salaries are paid. One other (Sochi) reportedly mulling folding mid-season.

Among the four KHL teams who still owe players parts of 2014-15 salaries is the current regular season leader Sibir Novosibirsk.

9. knighttown says:

Hall-Drai-Ebs
    Poo-Nuge-Yak

Huh. Not really what I was expecting. I guess I assumed the non-starter would be breaking up 4 and 93 who struggled apart earlier this year.

The “pairs” concept sort of loosely works but with caveats:
    -Hall-Drai (small sample and Drai in a different position)
    -Yak-Poo (they’ve been good together but most feel that Jesus is the reason why

Still thinking about it….

I sort of hate it especially at home against the Pens.

I assume the Hendricks line gets Crosby or Malkin.

One of those lines gets either Crosby or Malkin and that means Drai or Nuge. Probably Nuge but if you’re giving him that you’ve got to give him Hall.

At home versus the Pens I’d have matched Hendricks against Malkin and Hall-Nuge-Ebs against Crosby leaving Poo-Drai-Yak against whomever is left.

I actually really like the proposed lines for the road as no line will need protection.

10. Centre of attention says:

Bad Seed:
    Centre of attention,

Simple – you gotta give to get.

So you keep Yakupov in the top 6, have a veteran Coach like McLellan teach him how to actually play hockey instead of “go get goals” . Other teams scouts will see that indeed he is what was advertised in the spring of 2012.

Other teams will recognize a dynamic talent and giving one of those up will “get” as you say.

Or, you keep both. Develop our stud defenseman in house. Just like Chicago did. Just like Tampa is doing. Just like Nashville is doing.

Grab a Spurgeon or similar non-all star player like others have mentioned. That wouldn’t cost an Eberle. It would also help a damn ton.

Just my 2 cents.

11. Bad Seed says:

Centre of attention,

Even if Yakupov has a big year, he still won’t have the value of Eberle. I tend to think that Eberle isn’t really one of Pete’s kind of players. That being said, there were a lot of rumours out of Boston that they were chasing Eberle in years past but Haggerty could have been out to lunch too.

I think Pete’s out to get a top 2 defenceman and possibly Eberle+ gets it done. You don’t want to trade Hall or a centre like RNH so who’s left?

12. Frank the dog says:

I have never liked Yak with either Hall or Nuge. not sure he belongs to their “club” I think he’s better off with Drai and Poo. Leave Hall-Nuge-Ebs intact, they are used to #1D.
    But then I don’t think this organization ever intended to make the playoffs until 2016/7, so we’re really looking at the Guinness World Record of “pre-seasons” for the last time.

13. Centre of attention says:

Bad Seed,

All I’m saying is that Tampa Bay didn’t have to trade Tyler Johnson for Hedman. They drafted him.

Hey look, now they have Stamkos, Johnson AND Hedman.

Addition by addition! Its the way of the future folks.

Nurse will be our Hedman so to speak, given time. With an ever-improving supporting cast around him, things can be looking up quite soon really.

I repeat, you DO NOT have to trade Eberle. Not now. Not 2 years from now either if you play your cards right. And the beautiful thing is that we will have our number 1 defenseman by then, McDavid will be lighting the western conference asunder and all will be well in Oil country.

LT, Help me! He’s trying to trade the current roster leading goal scorer while McDavid is laid up!

14. Centre of attention says:

Frank the dog,

I think if Nuge and Pouliot can drive the bus Yakupov can ride along just fine.

Nuge is the nicest young man you’ll ever meet. I doubt he shuns Yakupov. Hall may have missed him on the invitation list on their outings to the Ranch but its not like he looks at Yak like a leper.

15. Genjutsu says:

Centre of attention,

We could always trade Austin Matthews for that stud D.

Kidding . . . I hope.

16. Магия 10 says:

2 pts from 3rd in the division. 5-5 in the last 10 games. 5-3 outside the Central. Icing all rookie Left D. November will tell if this is more than a 5-8 team.

Centre of attention:
    Bad Seed,

Bad Seed,

Hey look, now they have Stamkos, Johnson AND Hedman.

Addition by addition! Its the way of the future folks.

18. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: I’ve said before that Chiarelli tries to sign or deal for a good defender who can move the puck and play defense. If he can use picks and depth players, I think he will in trade. If not, offer sheet.

Yup. And getting said 2-way defender doesn’t have to cost Eberle, do you agree?

Adding that player is part of the “improving supporting cast” I was talking about.

Supporting cast should not have to cost one of the main attractions.

There are plenty of options at Chia’s disposal, like LT said.

LT,

I disagree that this frees up Nuge to score more.

If we couch it in terms of STL match ups I see this:

RNH + Sekera/Nurse vs. Statsny/Taresekno

Hall + Klef/Davidson vs. Backers/Assholes

The Oilers only have one C who can check the best, and that’s RNH and that’s who he’ll probably get sent out against.

What this does is create a match up problem for coaches who like to run Power v Power and Hall should be the one who gets freed up a bit in terms of going against good offensive players who can keep the puck.

Hall will get more checking C’s and tough minute pairs, whereas RNH gets the offensive guns.

Imo. I could be wrong.

Will be interesting to watch, but PIT has more of a 1 and 1A top two lines so we won’t be able to figure out too much tomorrow.

20. John Chambers says:

All in all we’ll ice a lineup on Friday that should be equal in talent to the team we iced against Philly. At this moment in time Eberle = McDavid more or less.

I think McLellan has appropriately stack ranked his defense (Fayne should maybe rank a notch higher), and that alone should cut down on the GA’s.

All in all I think the team stays ~.500 while McD is out, and they make a substantial end of season push upon his return.

21. Johnny skid says:

i agree and hope its sooner than later.

22. Centre of attention says:

John Chambers:

At this moment in time Eberle = McDavid more or less.

Nope. Not even close. First off, Eberle’s not a center.

John Chambers:

Thats going out on a limb, no pun intended.

IMO the Oilers still need to make some sort of upgrade to the supporting cast on the D. Sekera and Klefbom need some Help and Nurse-Davidson can’t be the answer if this team wants to remain competitive in the west.

Spurgeon, Ellis. That sort of player would be great.

Read something on the Hockey News today about Carolina shopping “pretty much everyone, even Skinner”

Maybe Faulk? Wishful thinking.

Woodguy:
    LT,

I disagree that this frees up Nuge to score more.

If we couch it in terms of STL match ups I see this:

RNH + Sekera/Nurse vs. Statsny/Taresekno

Hall + Klef/Davidson vs. Backers/Assholes

Imo. I could be wrong.

Please note that I didn’t say “sorry LT”

You can disagree with people and not have to apologize for it.

Or give that huffy “I’m sorry” that you hear on the radio all the time which is then followed by blather.

I can’t think of anyone with whom I agree about everything.

Lowetide: Yeah, we’ll see. I don’t think Hall is going to get the clean air, he’s top 5 in scoring and the opposition coach won’t break up his lines imo. We’ll see, should be interesting.

Getting Backes, Pietrangelo and Boumeester isn’t clean air.

Woodguy: Getting Backes, Pietrangelo and Boumeester isn’t clean air.

Something to track tomorrow. I just looked at Pens D via war-on-ice and it’s going to be a fun night based on the bubbles and the Lovejoys.

27. Centre of attention says:

I think Nuge gets the Fehr line when possible, who have been carrying a bit of the offensive load since Crosbys extended slump.

Hendricks and his band of jackals can occupy Malkin in their zone as much as possible.

Hall gets Crosby head to head, and I think he can break even unless Crosby awakens and rips out some crazy 6 point night to even out his shooting% LOL

I won’t even attempt to guess who the D are matched against.

28. Halfwise says:

This Flyers Flames game is like a blooper reel in real time. No one can stand up or take a pass.

Lowetide: Re-read what you said, now understand this point better. Sorry about that. I think McLellan broke up Hall and Nuge for a reason, and what you’re suggesting could happen for sure.

Yeah, I used 1000 words when 100 would have sufficed.

How about:

“RNH will still get set out against the best offensive forwards, but the opposing coach will send his best D pair and checking C out against Hall”

Better?

Yeah.

Also, it doesn’t matter what I think of Boumeester, its what Hitchcock does and in the last 3 games his most common opposition F’s were:

CHI – Toews line
    MIN – Parise line
    LAK – Carter line

He gets sent out (with Pietrangelo) against the opposition’s best offensive forwards.

That what I expect Hall to see, except not with the best opposition offensive forwards as I still think McLellan will chase those with RNH.

Woodguy: Yeah, I used 1000 words when 100 would have sufficed.

How about:

Better?

Yep. I still say Nuge kills them. 🙂

Lowetide: Yep. I still say Nuge kills them.

Hope so!

33. Stelio Kontos (Formerly Zangetsu-Formerly Thinker) says:

Woodguy,

I blame you 100% for the McDavid injury.

34. G Money says:

Hey all, thanks for all the positive thoughts in the last thread. Will try and channel them through to Sean’s family.

35. Numenius says:

knighttown: but most feel that Jesus is the reason why

I don’t get why everyone thinks McDavid will be out long term. If he’s Jesus, he’ll heal himself and be back in 3 days.

36. Centre of attention says:

Petry just busted Grabovski’s face up, lol.

Remember when people used to call him soft?

37. Dominoiler says:

Lowetide: Yep. I still say Nuge kills them.

That was a good moment, hehe, hope so indeed..

Nuge seemed to have a river pushing gear, gives him a chance to roll w Pouliot.. Yak Is such a wild card, optimistically, seems like he’s developing ‘his’ game (crash bang capitalize), maybe that can translate on this line?!..

38. cadooo says:

Leon is good with good players. Someday he’ll be able to cover the bet himself but not yet. He’s a player that creates a lot of chances and most players are better with him on the ice. Checkout the WOWY numbers.
    Even last year: http://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerreport.php?season=20142015&stype=2&sit=ev&v=p&playerid=8477934
    And again so far this year: http://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerreport.php?season=20152016&stype=2&sit=ev&v=p&playerid=8477934

People seem to be negative on Draisatl’s production last year but his most common line mates were Nail and Teddy. Not a great way to break a rookie into the league. I’m glad he’s had better line mates to show off his talent this year.

He’s going to look slow to some. He’s not hard on the body. He’s not going to cash as much as we’d like. Some games he’ll seem mostly invisible and still have three assists.

His goal song gets me pumped more please. So far he’s been sending a message that he doesn’t want to be the watcher. Hopefully the next episode is Xxplosive.

39. Bruce McCurdy says:

Halfwise:

Definitely worth the full three points between the two of them, then? >:(

40. Jaxon says:

I really hope Slepyshev finds his offence down in Bakersfield and they bring him up again in maybe January just before McDavid gets back. I also hope Pakarinen gets some extended time playing up on Hall’s opposite wing. He’s a shooting machine, he’s fast, he plays with an edge and he’s pretty decent defensively. If we go back to MacL liking pairs, I think we might see 3 scoring lines with 3 pairs in Hall/Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins/Eberle and McDavid/Yakupov. Then you just have to plug in the opposite winger to fill in those lines. The first most obvious choice is Pouiot with McDavid/Yak. I think Purcell will be gone soon enough, so I’d like to see the aforementioned Slepyshev and Pakarinen plug the other 2 holes in their natural position putting Pakarinen with Hall/Draisaitl and Slepyshev with Nugent-Hopkins/Eberle. that leaves Hendricks/Lander/Letestu as the 4th line unless your subbing Korpikoski/Klinkhammer/Miller or Gazdic in one of their spots. You could roll those lines and really tire out oppositions with waves of pressure. And only give spot Penalty kill / D Zone duty to the 4th line.

Pouliot / McDavid / Yakupov
    Hall / Draisaitl / Pakarinen
    Slepyshev / Nugent-Hopkins / Eberle
    Hendricks / Lander / Letestu

Who would you put your best out against if you were coaching the opposition? McDavid? Great, then the Draisaitl or Nuge lines are killing 2nd and 3rd toughest competition. I’m not even sure which line would be best. Probably McDavid’s, but Hall-Draisaitl have been deadly. Now I know that was with Nuge, but I think Pakarinen could bring an interesting dynamic to that line. If Slepyshev comes back from the AHL with any kind of offensive game then the Nuge/Ebs line could be deadly too.

With Klefbom having arrived, Reinhart showing he can be a steady hand back there, Nurse emerging like a rocket, and possibly lucking out on Davidson turning into a valuable D, Wow, the D is starting to take shape. I hope Sekera finds his way soon. Still not sure about Schultz. He looked better than last season, but we wait and see I guess. You can’t deny his offensive skills.

I hope they can make it interesting in a run for the playoffs, but even if not, the future is looking bright.

41. Bulging Twine says:

How’s Marincin been?

“Horrible, awful. No competitive spirit, turns the puck over. I had expectations for him to be a 6, 7, 8 defenseman, he hasn’t met that”

said some Hayes guy from Toronto on Gregor’s show.

42. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy,

Sorry Woodguy, but I’m sorry to say that I’m sorry to disagree with you.

What were we talking about again?

43. Bruce McCurdy says:

leadfarmer:
    Woodguy,

Sorry Woodguy, but I’m sorry to say that I’m sorry to disagree with you.

What were we talking about again?

I’m truly sorry that you are too clueless to understand.

44. AsiaOil says:

I liked MM but people here act as if the GM went out of his way to trade him for little or nothing. Sorry folks – that was the best offer – and it was for a reason. I hope the guy gets it together quick or he’s playing back home next fall.

Bulging Twine:
    How’s Marincin been?

“Horrible, awful.No competitive spirit, turns the puck over.I had expectations for him to be a 6, 7, 8 defenseman, he hasn’t met that”

said some Hayes guy from Toronto on Gregor’s show.

45. Yeti says:

On reading the headline “Eberle’s Back” I immediately presumed he’d slipped a vertebra and would be out for a further two months. I think I’ve been following the Oiler’s too long.

46. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Bulging Twine:
    How’s Marincin been?

said some Hayes guy from Toronto on Gregor’s show.

AsiaOil:

A couple of things.

A casual glance at the WOWY for Marincin (hardly definitive, this is just a quick thumbnail view) shows that he’s maybe not the biggest problem in the Toronto:

The problem for Marincin in EDM was always that the fans/media like a Gryba type player (break cycle, bash heads) on the D and don’t really value the other disciples of the game (esp. when we are talking about guys that don’t put up points).

I don’t think anyone was surprised to see Marincin go, or for so little.

The very people that value what Marincin brings are the ones most keenly aware that the rest of the hockey world simply doesn’t value those elements of the game in the same way. They were never under some illusion the hockey world saw Marincin the way they do.

Finally, a radio jockey of the same mold as Gregor is hardly a good candidate to bridge the aporia between the two perspectives on Marincin. The fact that he sees what MacTavish et al. saw in Marincin is confirmation of very little to anyone who’s followed Marincin’s career and the surrounding narratives.

47. Rake 2.0 says:

cadooo:

Well played sir

48. PhrankLee says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Likely, he’s what he was with the Oilers… an effective puck mover and an effective denier of zone entries, with a modest sense of how to break the cycle or bash heads (the former being much more important).

He is what he was in Edmonton. A turn over machine. He really has not played well here in Toronto. He looks like he has lost a step in speed. He does not appear to have put on any strength or weight. He is very listless and careless along the boards and never uses his decent positioning to lever the opposition away from the puck/play/crease. Opposing Forwards walk around him despite his amazing reach. He does have the odd nice stick check but is forever getting beat by smaller and, seemingly, more determined players.

Romulus Apotheosis: The other problem is that those traits are also the ones that a lot of NHL decision makers also share.

So MM doesn’t get a break because the people in charge of making the decisions are biased toward players like Gryba? I don’t think so. Covering your assignment with hard play is required for everyone not named Lidstrom. MM is nowhere near good enough finesse and positioning wise.

For me what he is and what he will be are simple. Not good enough. Not effective enough. Not enough at all. He did some things well. But he is proposing to become an NHL D. He will be wonderful in the KHL.

49. cc says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I think the problem for Marincin is he didn’t develop into a top 4 defenseman and the Oiler’s decided to turn the page. Now, I like Marincin and wanted Marincin to stay and be paired with Schultz on a 2nd/3rd pairing. Freeing up Klefbom to pair with Sekera on the top pairing.

Sekera-Klefbom
    Reinhart-Fayne
    Marincin-Schultz
    Davidson *

But as a fan can you really get to torn up about a 6/7 defenseman leaving? Marincin, right now, is coached by a well-regarded fellow and on a defense that is on paper is as bad as the Oilers and Marincin is averaging less than 14 minutes a night. It’s kind of like the PRV all over again.

And while I think that Oiler’s management wanted a player (Gryba) that brought some truculence. I think the real issue was management group (old & new) held Davidson in higher regard than Marincin and I have no issues with that decision.

50. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Chiarelli mentioned this defense would get better with more experience. Here is our ideal defense when healthy:

Nurse – Klefbom
    Reinhart – Davidson
    Sekera – Schultz
    Gryba

I keep hearing here that we should trade for a RH puck moving defenseman. Seeing we only have 1 of them currently in our top 6 who are you going to trade spots with if you acquire such player and is he really going to be a significant upgrade? Or do you want us to move Schultz for Spurgeon (which doesn’t seem like much of an upgrade if you ask me ) and still only have 1 RH dman in top 6. Sekera isn’t going anywhere and the top 4 listed above are a pretty nice core that just need experience. Unless we acquire a significant player in a Justin Faulk to replace Schultz I say you leave the D as it is (minus Ference and Fayne) and let the guys develop. Jared Spurgeon is not going to be the magical answer….

51. stevezie says:

Yeti,

You’ve been well trained

52. Halfwise says:

Bruce McCurdy: Definitely worth the full three points between the two of them, then? >:(

Man, I sure find myself turning off the TV in disgust at the end of hockey games a lot these days.

53. HeatTreaterJoe says:

Kiltymcbagpipes,

Maybe we can trade Sekera for that Petry fellow in Montreal. Comparable cap hit (give or take) and both are deemed to be really good #3D. But having a real RD like Petry who can play in all situations could be just the ticket. Wonder what kind of sweetener we’d have to throw in to make it happen.

*ducks and runs away*

54. Mr. D. says:

Can’t believe some of you. You make judgments of players by looking at stats sheets. That reflect the lowest level of hockey knowledge. You rely on someone else’s numbers to guide your opinions.