THE SKIES OF NOVEMBER TURN GLOOMY

For two days in a row now I’ve been genuinely surprised by Oilers fans in regard to the current state of the union. I thought we agreed the Oilers weren’t a playoff team (I had them No. 11 in the conference, No. 22 overall) but there seems to be a sense the season is in ruins and all is lost.

I don’t see it that way. Last season, Edmonton finished 24-44-7-7 and this season they are 5-10-0-0 fifteen games into the year. After a 4-5-1 start under Dallas Eakins (through end October), the Oilers went 20-39-13—good for 53 points in 72 games. The club needs to be better in November and December, but all is not lost until we see something like a 2-9-3 November. If Edmonton can avoid it, that long December can be avoided.

OILERS YEAR OVER YEAR, FALL TO WINTER

• Oilers in October 2014: 4-5-1
  • Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0
  • Oilers in November 2014: 2-9-3
  • Oilers in November 2015: 1-2-0
  • Oilers in December 2014: 2-8-4
  • Oilers in December 2015:

Peter Chiarelli can’t mortgage the future, but the management of this team has to find a way to send help to coach Todd McLellan—ideas, recalls and yes smaller trades and signings that get them a little help along the way. For his part, McLellan is at least thinking outside the box, as reflected by the lines at practice today in Anaheim:

• The top line is sublime (Nuge is a better center than Leon and a better faceoff man based on Leon’s first 330 faceoffs, but 93 can take faceoffs and play the defensive role from RW) and the second line is a reasonable bet, too. If this is Nuge moved to RW, I suspect there’s a move afoot to deal with the large centermen by using Leon. Interesting, but I’d rather have RNH into the breach as a center.
  • Letestu is being elevated at least partly because Anton Lander hasn’t pissed a drop. I’m not sure how much offense they’ll deliver, but Letestu had 34 points as recently as 2013-14 and there is some talent there (splendid lockout season as well). No harm, no foul if it doesn’t work.
  • Eberle on this line looks like a terrible waste, but you can see why McLellan might try something new. Anton Lander gets a major bloody push here (it’s listed as the third line but these are two veteran wingers who have considerable ability). Purcell gets a push, he earned it.
  • The 4line has Miller (who looks good in flashes, wonder if he spikes with more playing time) and Pakarinen (another guy who could move up) and Gazdic—whose possession stats are in line with the rest of the team. Enforcers aren’t my cup of tea either, but credit where due.

I like the effort, hope it works—and I think the Letestu push is not only solid but maybe overdue. One thing for sure: If this works, Todd McLellan deserves a raise.

The defensive pairings stay the same, I have no issues with it. I would like to see the Oilers keep Mark Fayne in the lineup until he finds his way. That’s going to be important as the season wears along.

talbot capture 3

Cam Talbot has to steal a game, and I think he will. Talbot has been inconsistent if we’re being kind, but that’s not really the same as being awful and certainly not the same as taking a career nosedive. Playing goal for the Edmonton Oilers has to be one of the toughest jobs in sports, but Talbot has an excellent resume and let’s see how this turns out. I’m somewhat alarmed at the number of people who are ready to split already.

mclellan capture may 19

HAIL MARY

Sometimes in life, you don’t know what you’re capable of until there’s a major event or crossroads. I’d suggest the current 5-10-0 record combined with the schedule ahead is a major test for a team that might not be a team for much longer. Despite clear issues with injury, defense, goaltending, scoring and else, Peter Chiarelli and Todd McLellan need to see good things in the games this week. As my Dad used to say, “you are either for me or against me” and I expect some of these young men will have their fates decided in the coming week or two. Remember, Todd McLellan said less than a week ago that they don’t care who is in the uniforms, they just want to win. That’s as it should be. The best way to keep track of the ‘new forensics’? Won-Loss Record, November:

• Oilers in November 2014: 2-9-3
  • Oilers in November 2015: 1-2-0

This isn’t about the playoffs, no one was promised that much. This is about avoiding another 2-9-3 November, and that surely is a reasonable expectation. The time is now. The Edmonton Oilers are going to turn north under Peter Chiarelli and Todd McLellan. There are 23 men auditioning for their jobs, as the skies of November turn gloomy.

141 Responses to "THE SKIES OF NOVEMBER TURN GLOOMY"

1. neojanus says:

To make big strides, it takes some risk. You have to let talent go to get talent that can help today.

The Oilers are going to have to send a blue chip player away to find the support on the back end that they desperately need. Every elite team has one (sometimes more).

The only other option is to shit the bed this year and hope one/three defenders mature an awful lot over the summer.

If the Blue Jays hadn’t have made some ballsy trades, we aren’t even talking about the Blue Jays right now and forecasting a potential repeat next year.

This league is built from the back-end out. The Oilers have some extremely elite offensive players (one phenom that the whole league salivates over) and have to sacrifice an asset to get that amazing number 1 defenseman that we have needed since Pronger got traded for risky penny stocks.

It’s gotta happen.

2. GCW_69 says:

Cult of Hockey player grades for the last game:

Brandon Davidson, 7. He got caught out by Kane on the winning goal but was otherwise the Oil’s best d-man, taking the man and moving the puck smartly. He’s doing what it takes to win a full-time job. Lander should take notes.

If Davidson is getting pressboxed the coaching staff is sitting him for one bad play, yet Gryba can do no wrong?

Sigh…

3. bcoil says:

I agree the guillotine is poised and the players on the ice hold the trigger.i think that a lot of the players on the bottom six should be real worried about their million dollar careers because i have great faith in the resolve of Peter and Todd to make the tough decisions . Unlike the past management this management will not procrastinate once the obvious choices are evident .

4. Centre of attention says:

LT, in your mind who do you think fails the exam over the next couple weeks?

5. barry.moore23 says:

I’m pretty sure Chia and McLellan know what they face and are working on it. First pair D don’t exactly grow on trees. 2006 excepted it’s been a long road of suck. Patience. We’ve no choice. That’s rough but reality.. Go Oilers !!

6. Frank the dog says:

No panic trades this year. Sort, shake, cut, make opportune trades.

I traded Eberle for 3 years (mostly for Couturier) assuming Sam Gagner could play 1RW.

Many trade Yak every chance they get.

Saddle the Paddle may be a better RW that either of them and Eberle ranks in the top 10 RW point producers in the league over the last 4 years or so.

Like to keep Saddle here cheap and Eberle.

Those are two very good RW.

RNH & McHayZeus are two very good C’s

Hall is a very good (top 3 in the NHL) LW.

That’s 5 out of 6 of a very good top 6.

Pouliot is only a 4th overall pick who produces like a 1st liner but gets paid like a 2nd liner. (full props to MacT for that contract.)

There’s lots to like here.

8. Centre of attention says:

Woodguy,

Do you have any comments on the Defense corpse?

9. hunter1909 says:

I didn’t agree that the Oilers weren’t a playoff team, which cements my untermensch status on Lowetide.

That said, and in my level headed best opinion, “the fans”, having watched a decade of #WoeOnIce with a team which collects 1st Overall picks like acorns from a tree plus top ten picks that alone would make many NHL teams happy(Disraitl, Nurse, Klefbom etc) just might be in the mood to not have to endure another season spent at the bottom of the NHL?

Last time I looked Oilers were in 4th place. Or 27th in Jeff Petry’s universe.

It’s not just the losing, Lowetide. It’s the cack handed feeling we get from having to worry about whether Ference is getting another game. It’s the apathy which comes after seeing the Oilers go up a goal, then within 2-3 minutes(often less iirc) seeing the other team tie the game.

It’s having to pour over endless stats in order to find progress(I admit I have no interest in stats due to a heavy schedule) instead of seeing wins.

It’s seeing the Flames score a winning goal in the last minutes of a home game. It’s the refs disallowing goals, then seeing Toronto shit their pants and turn the decision back to the ref who originally disallowed the goal expecting Toronto to sort it all out.

It’s watching McLellan, an obviously first class coach visibly age inside 2 freaking months. If it bothers HIM, you don’t expect it to bother us?

It’s not worth listing another 374528 reasons, so I’ll stop.

10. hunter1909 says:

barry.moore23: I’m pretty sure Chia and McLellan know what they face and are working on it.

I agree.

I am also of the opinion that you don’t need a great Dcorps for these forwards.

You need a non-bad Dcorps and we haven’t seen that yet.

Chirelli will have $16MM or so to spend with :

Sekera
    Nurse
    Klefbom
    Reinhart

Under contract

Schutlz is a RFA with one year left of RFA I think. Prime trade bait.

Centre of attention:
    Woodguy,

Do you have any comments on the Defense corpse?

I actually wrote that before you asked.

Thanks for asking though.

13. hunter1909 says:

There’s a teenaged Oiler fan on twitter who classifies himself as a “Draft Expert”.

14. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy: Schutlz is a RFA with one year left of RFA I think. Prime trade bait.

Correction: Shark bait.

GCW_69:
    Cult of Hockey player grades for the last game:

Sigh…

I had Davidson much worse than Gryba last game.

Centre of attention:
    LT, in your mind who do you think fails the exam over the next couple weeks?

I can tell you that, based on the lines above, Anton Lander is getting two good NHL wingers. He needs to make something happen.

GCW_69:
    Cult of Hockey player grades for the last game:

Sigh…

Here something to consider:

Klef w/ Davidson were (0-7) together vs CHI
    Klef w/ Fayne were (8-7) 53.% together vs CHI

Looks like coach likes Fayne better than Davidson with Klef and likes Gryba-Reinhart.

I’d like to see Davidson take Gryba’s spot with Reinhart.

I bet the young man would do well.

18. judgedrude says:

Nov. 10, ’14, GD = -25 (+47, -72)
    Nov. 10, ’15, GD = -8 (+39, -47)

Already improving our goal differential by better than 1 goal per game. Is that not progress?

19. Centre of attention says:

Woodguy: I actually wrote that before you asked.

Thank for asking though.

Always love reading your thoughts, you seem to make a lot of sense. Its a stark contrast to what is a very nonsensical fan base from what I read nowadays.

Schultz is such an interesting case to me because it really could go both ways. I think the door is still open for him to play his way onto this team long-term in my opinion. I also think he has chemistry with Klefbom, who has struggled with consistency since Jultz went down.

Do you honestly think another team takes Schultz knowing they will have to pay him? What if he continues to evolve his game like earlier in the season, and by March this year he looks like a legit puck-moving NHL defenseman?

I know you would prefer a trade but what do you think Chiarelli actually does? Another bridge if he performs? I really don’t like the idea of Schultz long term. I also want to know if there is a player there.

He can be our Cody Franson I guess, lol. The player who sticks around, but your never quite sure how long. Eventually you get a first round pick for him and everybody’s happy.

20. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: I can tell youthat, based on the lines above, Anton Lander is getting two good NHL wingers. He needs to make something happen.

To be completely honest, I wouldn’t be surprised if he clears.

21. Gret99zky says:

In fairness to the meek and the infirm, there is a big difference between not getting into the playoffs and finishing bottom 3. Again.

This year looks more and more like wait until next year.

Expiring contracts. Developing Dreamy, Reinhart, and Nurse. Lots of cap space for summer shopping.

Keep the powder dry and so forth.

This team is a long, long, long ways away unless they trade one of the Kluster Kidz.

I would really like them to get 7-10 more wins than last year though.

Centre of attention: Always love reading your thoughts, you seem to make a lot of sense. Its a stark contrast to what isa very nonsensical fan base from what I read nowadays.

Schultz has all kinds of value.

29 teams asked for meetings when he was a UFA (for all intents and purposes)

A few of them will will still see value.

Diminished at his current level of pay, but value for sure.

Centre of attention: I see what your getting at. If Lander continues to struggle with that kind of fire power, there is no more excuses. Waivers it is.

To be completely honest, I wouldn’t be surprised if he clears.

I’m really disappointed after what we all saw last year.

Its like the young man has stage fright and only Nelson can cure it.

Maybe trade him to DET?

They like Swedes.

24. G Money says:

Re: defense pairings in the CHI game, DFA/60 (Dangerous Fenwick events per 60, which takes the unblocked shots against and adjusts them based on danger. In other words, if you push shots to the perimeter, you get credit, and if you let fewer shots overall, you get credit) and average distance of shot against:

A. Sekera D. Nurse 14.7 51.2 – goddamn monsters of the Midway 14.7 and 51 ft

E. Gryba B. Davidson 03:53 21.6 34.2 – surprisingly good pairing in little TOI

G. Reinhart E. Gryba 11:22 21.6 40.2 – solid solid third pairing. Reinhart is a friggin’ danger suppression field (his individual DFA/60 was 19.4, third on the team after Sekera and Nurse)

Klef B. Davidson 06:51 30.7 39.2 – not a bad pairing at all

M. Fayne Klef 08:36 35.6 27.2 – let the most shots, the closest shots, the most dangerous shots. Very much in contrast to the Corsi for this pairing

However, it’s worth noting that this pairing is above average defensively. 39 or so is the Mendoza line for DFA/60.

In light of that fact, I compared this game for CF%, FF%, SCF%, and HDSF% with CHI games the last two seasons. The CF% was one of the better ones, but the FF%, SCF%, and HDSF% blew every Oiler performance against Chicago in the last two years away. It wasn’t even close.

This was the best defensive performance against Chicago this team has had in recent memory. By the numbers, it was absolutely stellar.

That fact may be lost in the aftermath of the loss, but it shouldn’t be.

If the Oilers bring the Period 2/Period 3 level of effort and defensive acumen to most games, and get just average goaltending, they are going to win A LOT more than they are going to lose.

All is not yet lost.

25. Bulging Twine says:

Disappointed to hear how low Fayne’s trade value is on Oilers Now. Assuming Stauffer knows.

26. SK Oiler Fan says:

Bulging Twine:
    Disappointed to hear how low Fayne’s trade value is on Oilers Now.Assuming Stauffer knows.

Playing on this team devalues everyone.
    Looks like maybe 4000 fans in Florida tonight. How much longer can that go on?

27. frjohnk says:

SK Oiler Fan: Playing on this team devalues everyone.
    Looks like maybe 4000 fans in Florida tonight. How much longer can that go on?

4000?

That’s a nice bump up.

They might have to hire a second janitor

28. stush18 says:

Lander for Ryan sproul. Calling it.*

*only if it happens

29. Bruce McCurdy says:

“The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
    Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
    The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead
    When the skies of November turn gloomy”

Thanks for the timely reference in the title, LT, means a lot on this day.

40 years on from the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, the Gordon Lightfoot classic that contains that lyric and many more still has the power to make me cry. The event was just one maritime disaster, but the song captures them all somehow, and really resonates with an islander like me. I suspect it does the same with a prairie boy like you, too.

frjohnk: 4000?

That’s a nice bump up.

They might have to hire a second janitor

Broward County owns the rink and Arena Operating Company Ltd. (most inspired name ever btw) operates it for the Country.

AOC is a an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of Sunrise Sports and Entertainment, which owns the team.

I take it the “indirect” means, “we’ll call it bankrupt when we sell the franchise to Pierra Karl Peladeau”

People speculate that the Canes will move but for $60MM many years ago Karmanos bought the building, so that franchise comes with a building.

31. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

I’m going to weigh in here and say the hysteria from some corners is as unbearable as the cockiness before the Calgary game after the Montreal win was.

It has been keeping me a little distant from these parts of late.

That said, in my opinion, part of the setting of unreasonable expectations was your 93 point prediction, LT, no playoffs and 11th place finish or not, 93 should have been your optimistic prediction, not your “reasonable.” But I am flogging a dead horse here.

32. frjohnk says:

Woodguy: That’s one of the few franchises where the team ownership doesn’t own the building.

Interesting.

So I take it that it would be easier to move the Florida team with this kind of setup compared to the team owning the building.

33. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Woodguy,

Panthers’ owner is filthy rich though. But they never should have gone to Sunrise. Downtown with the Heat would have made sense. Same for Glendale. Stupid.

34. Lloyd B. says:

So a team is foot loose and fancy free without a building. Hmm… Hello Seattle! Expansion to Vegas and Quebec City, two new teams with buildings. Evens the conferences at 16 each. Two new franchise fee teams and all three with increased hockey related revenue. Hello Bob..That’s your uncle!!

35. Water Fire says:

Woodguy:

Many trade Yak every chance they get.

Like to keep Saddle here cheap and Eberle.

Those are two very good RW.

RNH & McHayZeus are two very good C’s

Hall is a very good (top 3 in the NHL) LW.

That’s 5 out of 6 of a very good top 6.

There’s lots to like here.

Hey Woodguy

McJesus is blasphemous, but McHayZeus takes it to another level. Please show some respect to those of us who have a strong enough faith to care.

Also, as someone who always gives those close an ever changing nickname I think Paddle is more likely to stick. Not forgetting he calls himself Neon Leon per his site.

36. SK Oiler Fan says:

Broward County has just hired a cosultant to determine how viable the arena is without the Panthers. Oh Yah, and the Panthers have requested a 78 Mil bailout from the county
    In other words are we better off with or without the Panthers.

37. unca miltie says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    “The legend lives on from the Chippewa on downOf the big lake they call Gitche GumeeThe lake, it is said, never gives up her deadWhen the skies of November turn gloomy”

Thanks for the timely reference in the title, LT, means a lot on this day.

Cute add: landed in Minneapolis hour or so ago, got in my rental car and on the radio was the Edmund Fitzgerald.

38. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

SK Oiler Fan,

Florida, Arizona, Carolina are sucking wind.
    The Brooklyn Islanders are a total disaster.
    The Canadian dollar has declined 25% in predictable fashion and they didn’t do a damn thing (hedging) about it. If some posters here could call it a year ago why couldn’t they?

Bettman’s response? $500m expansion fees and a daring move to Las Vegas!

The NHL brass have their heads up their asses.

39. Water Fire says:

SK Oiler Fan:
    Broward County has just hired a cosultant to determine how viable the arena is without the Panthers. Oh Yah,and the Panthers have requested a 78 Mil bailout from the county
    In other words are we better off with or without the Panthers.

Now that the TV deal is done I could see some weak sisters moving and another expansion when the deal is not re upped and Bettman is 79

40. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Ovechkin 15 shots on goal tonight. Detroit wins 1-0.

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    I’m going to weigh in here and say the hysteria from some corners is as unbearable as the cockinessbefore the Calgary game after the Montreal win was.

It has been keeping me a little distant from these parts of late.

So, if I’m understanding you, people would be less angry and upset if I had picked them 11th in the conference with 60 points? I can’t do that, because it doesn’t make sense. As an example, No. 11 team last season had 90 points.

Frankly, I find your post offensive. I worked damned hard on the RE and your posts suggests it is an attempt to excite the masses. Very disappointing post to read, I have to say.

42. Ice Sage says:

hunter1909:

Last time I looked Oilers were in 4th place. Or 27th in Jeff Petry’s universe.

It’s not just the losing, Lowetide. It’s the cack handed feeling we get from having to worry about whetherFerence is getting another game. It’s the apathy which comes after seeing the Oilers go up a goal, then within 2-3 minutes(often less iirc) seeing the other team tie the game.

It’s not worth listing another 374528 reasons, so I’ll stop.

That captures it perfectly, Hunter – thank you!
    I’ve reached a point of suspended animation – yeah, it would be great if the team won a few more in November but this is essentially the same team as the last 5 woeful years. Titanic deck chairs, etc.

43. SK Oiler Fan says:

Apparently the NHL has the third highest total attendance per year of all sports leagues at 21 Mil. 1230 games a year helps. Japan Baseball just a hair more for 2nd.
    MLB first and it’s not close. 2426 games will do that. 74 M fans per year
    So when you look at the league as a whole their gate revenue is presumably quite good
    Still, why try to sell a product in a market that isn’t interested? There’s no Pocklington to sell a Gretzky to Florida to spark interest down there

44. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

That’s not at all what I meant, so I apologize. No where did I say you did it to excite the masses. I was alluding to cause and effect, not intent. This place was brimming with optimism with the management change, Talbot acquisition, McDavid etc.

I am always careful to only say what I mean and not put hidden meanings in posts. I chose my words carefully. In no way am I implying you tried to fan the flames of optimism or even remotely suggest you don’t work hard. Frankly I am surprised you got THAT from my post.

I am not making assumptions of your intentions, please don’t make assumptions of mine. My posting history would suggest no such intent.

All I was trying to say was that at 93 points as a baseline for site visitors to work off, expectations were elevated this year.

Now the response from people in some parts is disappointing because there seems to have been a very odd assumption that things would get fixed overnight, without allowing for a tough schedule or simply, time to adjust.

Again, in no way am I saying you’ve set this up deliberately. I apologize for causing offense but am a bit taken aback that you assumed that’s what I was implying.

45. Gret99zky says:

Well, that escalated quickly.

46. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Gret99zky: Well, that escalated quickly.

47. Oilanderp says:

You know, if we traded McDavid the return would complete the team.

*grabs the baton from NYCoil and runs away while doing side steps and judo rolls all the while never spilling a drop from his drink*

48. Bruce McCurdy says:

In fairness nobody could have reasonably expected a three month injury to McDavid. devastating on many kevels, not least on the capacity of ghe fan base to absorb yet another body blow. It’s a week after the fact & i’m still totally bummed aout it.

49. Bruce McCurdy says:

Which reminds me, fuck off, Bookije!

50. HeatTreaterJoe says:

One thing I love about this site is that its arguments are usually backed up by facts. Today, when a lot of people are trying to remember the extent o optimism before the season started, I have a big favour to ask:

51. Oilanderp says:

Bruce McCurdy,

I agree Bruce, now we can’t trade him and solve all of our team’s problems.

*ducks back behind the bushes in the ditch*

edit: Man, I can barely hide behind the bushes here what with all the people with broken legs lying in the ditch. Some wagon just went by and …

52. Johnny skid says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Sure did. Frankly the Internet scares me these days. I did not think I said anything offensive at all. Certainly wasn’t even remotely my intention.

if only this team would win some games things would get a lot more joyous around here. my patience is getting tested with every loss, go oilers damit.

53. pocession charge says:

Water Fire: Hey Woodguy

As an atheist, I find this comment offensive.

54. Mr DeBakey says:

Lloyd B.: So a team is foot loose and fancy free without a building. Hmm… Hello Seattle!

I’ve wanted a team in Seattle since the WHA days.
    But they don’t have a NHL-calibre arena
    And one is not really on the horizon.

Portland has one.
    San Francisco is getting one.

55. hunter1909 says:

pocession charge: As an atheist,I find this comment offensive.

No you don’t.

56. JDï™ says:

SK Oiler Fan: Looks like maybe 4000 fans in Florida tonight. How much longer can that go on?

Well they’ve got their hands into the taxpayer’s pockets, looking for something like $86M to cover the losses of the team. Meanwhile, the ‘entertainment’ group that owns the team and runs the building (lock stock and 365 smoking barrels), is making profit.

So say what you want about the financial woes of the Panthers, at least they beat the Flames spits tonight.

Edit to add: ‘Owns’ as in how WG outlined the connection. I think it was young Willis who wrote about the Panthers only a couple of years ago or so.

57. RexLibris says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    Which reminds me, fuck off, Bookije!

Yeah, what is with that guy.

I heard he shovels his sidewalk snow onto the street.

Seriously, there’s just no shame with him.

58. Water Fire says:

I Ii

SK Oiler Fan:
    MLB first and it’s not close. 2426 games will do that. 74 M fans per year

I think it’s about marketing. You can’t sell a national sport TV deal that doesn’t have national geographic coverage can you?

59. rickithebear says:

our record:
    5-10

against teams 1-8
    2W-6L .250
    MTL; @ VCR
    @STL; @ NSH; @ DAL; STL; WSH; @MIN

teams 9-16
    1W-3L
    DET
    LAK; PIT; @ CHI could we have been .500 LAK?

Non Playoff

@WSH 1-8
    @CAR Non Playoff
    @ DET 9-16
    @ PIT 9-16
    @ TOR Non playoff

60. Water Fire says:

hunter1909: No you don’t.

I was just going to say that.

61. hunter1909 says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    In fairness nobody could have reasonably expected a three month injury to McDavid. devastating on many levels, not least on the capacity of the fan base to absorb yet another body blow. It’s a week after the fact & i’m still totally bummed aout it.

Here’s what gets me:

I’d assume a team with 3x first overall picks, plus a plethora of assorted other Disraitl’s and Nurse’s and Klefboms would have been contending for the playoffs simply by getting another year older.

McDavid no one reasonably even expected. McDavid’s the hockey equivalent of “winning the lottery”

Since McDavid’s injury, the Oilers have meekly returned to their losing.

No character. No heart. No soul. Nothing more than loser hockey.

It’s what’s called “a disgrace”.

62. RexLibris says:

Oilanderp: You know, if we traded McDavid the return would complete the team.

Quite true.

It would complete a team that has been one of the worst sports franchises for the last ten years to become the absolute worst group of incompetents and idiots in the modern sporting era.

Or to quote a great philosopher: our journey to the Dark Side would be complete.

63. RexLibris says:

Water Fire:
    I Ii

Are you suggesting that the NHL’s TV deal is dependent on exotic wildlife and television images of topless women from other continents?

I guess the rumours of moving to Vegas are true, then.

Water Fire: Hey Woodguy

Blasphemous?

Really?

I think I’m going to need to you explain that.

Would you prefer Zeus?

I’m going to need to keep the “Mc” part because I’m a Mick.

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

It has been keeping me a little distant from these parts of late.

I had 94 points.

66. Keith says:

Heard this today — Gordon Lightfoot talking with Steve Earle about writing the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald:

67. Bruce McCurdy says:

hunter1909: Here’s what gets me:

Since McDavid’s injury, the Oilers have meekly returned to their losing.

No character. No heart. No soul. Nothing more than loser hockey.

It’s what’s called “a disgrace”.

To call those two games a return to “meekly losing” with no heart etc is pretty harsh.

SK Oiler Fan:
    In other words are we better off with or without the Panthers.

I didn’t know that Broward County was in SirScratchMeOne.

Interesting.

Is SirSratchMeOne ok?

Am I offending any Druids?

69. RexLibris says:

hunter1909: Here’s what gets me:

Since McDavid’s injury, the Oilers have meekly returned to their losing.

No character. No heart. No soul. Nothing more than loser hockey.

It’s what’s called “a disgrace”.

You’re right.

Since McDavid’s injury they’ve gone 0-2 and been outscored 6-3 and had a Corsi differential of 90/98 over those two games.

Sounds like a 40-car pile-up on the Yellowhead kind of disaster.

I get that the two losses are frustrating and the prospect of more on the horizon even more so, but let’s keep things in perspective here.

NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker":
    SK Oiler Fan,

Florida, Arizona, Carolina are sucking wind.
    The Brooklyn Islanders are a total disaster.

Bettman’s response? $500m expansion fees and a daring move to Las Vegas!

The NHL brass have their heads up their asses.

If people will give you $500MM for an expansion NHL franchise, I’d say your head is clear of your ass.

71. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: I had 94 points.

72. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy: Blasphemous?

Really?

I think I’m going to need to you explain that.

Would you prefer Zeus?

I’m going to need to keep the “Mc” part because I’m a Mick.

i’m a mick too, feel free to keep that part.

As an, ahem, irreligious person I have nonetheless devoutly 🙂 avoided the McJesus term because I find it offensive and i can imagine others would as well. But McHeyZeus is kind of funny. Maybe we have some ancient Greeks that post here who think otherwise?

73. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: Blasphemous?

Really?

I think I’m going to need to you explain that.

Would you prefer Zeus?

I’m going to need to keep the “Mc” part because I’m a Mick.

My take is the pronunciation you emphasized avoided the religious angle and went with the hispanic pronunciation of the name, which, while alluding to the Christian heritage of the name, is really quite loosely interpreted in modern terms and more of a cultural history the same way Johannes was in Germany for about two centuries, or William is in England for approximately ever.

74. RexLibris says:

Travis Yost ‏@travisyost 45m45 minutes ago

Ottawa may need a defenseman. May.
    12 retweets 28 likes
    Rex Codex Libris ‏@CodexRex 31m31 minutes ago

@travisyost We’ve been keeping Gryba warmed up for you. Just say the word. Might want to check his luggage for a stowaway Nikitin, though.

75. RexLibris says:

Let’s do this the Canadian Way.

Maybe we can get LT some funding while we’re at it.

Bruce McCurdy:

8 1/2 weeks at most.

Book it!

77. RexLibris says:

Bruce McCurdy: i’m a mick too, feel free to keep that part.

As an, ahem, irreligious person I have nonetheless devoutly avoided the McJesus term because I find it offensive and i can imagine others would as well. But McHeyZeus is kind of funny. Maybe we have some ancient Greeks that post here who think otherwise?

I’m neither Ancient nor Greek, but I can probably speak to the idea that were we to suggest that McDavid were the son of Zeus it would in no way be considered heretical or blasphemous.

I mean, really, have you read about that man’s conquests? You’d have thought he played in the NBA.

78. dustrock says:

RexLibris: I had 93 based on Vollman’s luck-neutral predictions. And Nugent-Hopkins. Mostly Nugent-Hopkins.

I believe in the giddy days I had 88 points, then settled at 80 when I looked more closely at the D. Or maybe 88 was my low, I can’t remember .

No Eberle, no McDavid no Schultz and even having no Reinhart for a time make the RE more difficult.

79. hunter1909 says:

Bruce McCurdy: You see, here is where I disagree. Oilers showed excellent character in coming back to win the game McDavid went down, granted a game they “should” have won but the scoreboard was against them & that was a cruel psychological blow to lose the kid & they played a great third period. Sonce then they lost by one to Crosby’s team with 4 posts & lost (effectively) by one to Toews’ team & both times the otherr goalie had a big say in stealing the game. (Grumpy Bruce on my left shoulder is chiming in “so did the refs!”)

RexLibris: You’re right.
    Sounds like a 40-car pile-up on the Yellowhead kind of disaster.

You are both within your rights to be level headed.

I would like to counter with this:

Oilers start the season with a 0-4 record. At the time it seemed that they were going to figure things out, and they started to until McDavid got hurt.

Since then, they’re 0-2 and back to 27th place in the NHL. I know I can be the epitome of a crazed fan, but numbers don’t lie.

As for Pittsburgh, they’re a decidedly mediocre team based upon having two superstars and a lot of plugs. Turn that W they got off the Oilers into an L and they would be 8-6 I think. That’s mediocre. If anyone thinks they’re contending I have shares to sell you – for a giant wheel that’s going to be built on top of the Golden Gate Bridge.

As for the Hawks, a game I saw most of, well Chicago barely broke sweat. A nice, easy, hit free W for them.

Oilers don’t hit their opposition. This bothers me. Taylor Hall is one of the best players in the game, and I reckon he’s going to be out of the league due to injuries in about 4-5 seasons. He’s always getting hit by the opposition. This really bothers me.

I respect both of you. Your opinions probably matter more than mine.

That said, I noticed Todd McLellan standing behind the bench last game. He’s starting to get a thousand yard zombie stare. Why do you think he’s looking like that? Because, despite coaching a team with so much talent, they can’t even win enough games to place higher than 27th?

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    Woodguy,

Legalized theft will make you filthy rich. The Panthers owners are the major shareholders in a high frequency trading first that has lost money “trading” (think skimming) on only like one day in the last five years, or something like that.

Michael Lewis (of MoneyBall fame) also wrote Flash Boys, where a Canadian no less, is trying to save the markets from the high frequency thieves.

81. Oilanderp says:

RexLibris: Quite true.

Our top 6 fwds seem to be set. Most would agree that 2 top 2 d-men and we are a perennial Cup contender. Hockey is a team game. I know its sacrosanct, but it (trading McD) would solve every one of our problems.

I know. I know! But, it would, wouldn’t it?

If not, why?

*bites into a lemon*

Bruce McCurdy: i’m a mick too, feel free to keep that part.

I actually have household gods.

I am convinced that this offering of burnt fat and whisky is what got the Oiler’s McGoliath

(any Philistines in the house?)

83. hunter1909 says:

HeatTreaterJoe: Hunter1909: Can you please post the point predictions for your annual contest, so that we can factually determine how optimistic posters were before the season started? Thanks a bunch!!

I’m starting to warm to the idea.

Is there anyone you wish to personally humiliate?

84. hunter1909 says:

HeatTreaterJoe: One thing I love about this site is that its arguments are usually backed up by facts.

I’ve never been the same since taking Philosophy 101.

85. RexLibris says:

hunter1909: Your opinions probably matter more than mine.

Provided people bring cogent arguments with a degree of sincerity and respect, nobody’s opinions matter more than others.

Except LT, because he has the keys to the beer fridge.

I agree with what you are seeing, but I’m coming to some different conclusions (and I have to say, I think both our conclusions, in the end, are emotionally derived. Because at the heart of it that is how we process the game, regardless of the analysis we process).

I see this team operating in a league where a win and a loss can be differentiated sometimes by a hair’s breadth, and we are nearing closer to that small measure than we have at any other time since 2007.

I see the talent.

I see the structure.

I see the coaching schemes.

What we don’t have is the defense required to move the puck consistently and efficiently to the forwards and to hold the line against the opposition. It doesn’t need to be Weber and Hedman on the blueline, but it can’t be Laurel and Hardy anymore either.

86. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: (any Philistines in the house?)

Depends, someone said they believe the MSM read this blog, but would that include Steve Simmons?

87. hunter1909 says:

RexLibris: I propose we strike a Royal Commission to determine an appropriate roster of nicknames for the current McDavid cluster.

One Calgary Puck fan called him: “McBaby”

This level of jealousy can always put a smile on my face.

88. RexLibris says:

Bob McKenzie Retweeted
    TSN Hockey ‏@TSNHockey 5m5 minutes ago

REPORT: As per @KKurzCSN, @SanJoseSharks F Patrick Marleau would waive his NTC for 3 teams http://www.tsn.ca/1.391840

Going to go out on a limb and suggest that Edmonton *may* not be on that list, McLellan notwithstanding.

89. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Woodguy: I had 94 points.

I guess that makes me the negative ninny around here with 85 points. That said, I think the Oilers are right on track. In 2016 everyone here will be singing a different tune. It’ll be zip-a-dee doo-dah for BipOiler Nation, I’m calling it now.

RexLibris:
    Bob McKenzie Retweeted
    TSN Hockey ‏@TSNHockey 5m5 minutes ago

91. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

RexLibris: No.

Except LT, because he has the keys to the beer fridge.

I see the talent.

I see the structure.

I see the coaching schemes.

Agree with this. I am actually optimistic despite the lower point prediction. Good things. 50 shots vs Philly, 22 in one period on the road vs. Chicago, etc. Almost no one can call the market bottom, and the first days of a bull market look remarkably like those of a bear market.

This team WILL turn a corner games 25-50. And then 50-82 will be a fun ride.

92. hunter1909 says:

RexLibris: I see far more structure and a different scheme at play that, were they to improve their defense, would come together quite well.
    I see the talent.
    I see the structure.
    I see the coaching schemes.

In all honesty, I’m seeing the exact same thing.

I come from one of those pioneer families that tamed the West(and have degenerated their DNA to shocking levels according to some of my more fascistic thinking relatives). Like the pioneers, I tend to see things in black + white.

93. RexLibris says:

hunter1909: One Calgary Puck fan called him:“McBaby”

This level of jealousy can always put a smile on my face.

Which is funny given that he is more stoic and reserved than virtually any hockey player I’ve seen aside from Toews.

Yes, McDavid lit a fire in the ulcers of Flames fans everywhere.

94. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

By the way, Chaco Canyon well worth a stop if you’re ever in NW New Mexico. 3.5 hours each way from Santa Fe, so it’s a long haul from here, but pretty rare to have a stunning World Heritage site like that pretty much to yourself all day, which I did today.

95. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: Given that Marleau has one year after this at $6.6MM, the list of team that might take him is about 3 long too.

And from what I’ve gleaned from watching players ask for trades, I doubt that his three teams are the same as your three teams.

More like “This is where I’m willing to go. The rest is your problem.” And I’m willing to admit that I could be wrong there.

96. HeatTreaterJoe says:

hunter1909,

good point. I don’t want to humiliate anyone… just to make the point that I believe LT’s point prediction, especially compared to ours, WAS reasonable.

Could you post the points (without the names) just so we get a sense of the range and clusters? Thanks again!!

97. RexLibris says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: It’ll be zip-a-dee doo-dah

Aside – I saw that movie in the theatre Way Back When.

Had the Disney record too.

The Corporation has done everything in it’s power to strike it from the public memory.

Shame. It is a terribly anachronistic movie with overt racist references, but deserves to be recalled as a part of that nation’s history of storytelling.

98. HeatTreaterJoe says:

HeatTreaterJoe,

or maybe everyone really was cynical in the summer (I was expecting low 70’s)… that’s why I’m hoping for your numbers.

99. hunter1909 says:

HeatTreaterJoe,

The overwhelming majority of the 200 odd entries chose between 76 and 103 points.

10 entries chose 82 points, while 11 entries chose 97 points.

This appears to be the reasonable range… 82-97 points.

Since the Oilers are currently on a 55 point clip, with no lower entry than 22 points, the entry called “Kitchener”(60 points) currently leads the field.

PS: After 60 points it rockets up to 71 points, with 2 entries; one of them being “HeatTreaterJoe”. In other words, you’re currently tied for 2nd place.

PPS: You’re both a gentleman, and a scholar.

100. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

RexLibris,

Disney and racism is a whole can of worms. I’m gonna leave it be. Let’s hope the Oilers get to win one, lose one soon so it calms down.

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    RexLibris,

Wise. A lot has been written, don’t ever know what was proven. Sticky wicket, as they say.

102. HeatTreaterJoe says:

hunter1909,

Hi Hunter… thanks a lot.

With 82-97 points, it really sounds like most people around here were, in fact, predicting missing the playoffs. So anyone griping about a 10th consecutive season without the playoffs should probably think back long and hard.

However, despite my summertime cynicism, I too was whisked up by the sense of hope caused by actually seeing McDavid play in the NHL. He really looked like he could have challenged for the NHL point leader race. Like a lot of other posters, I AM totally bummed right now by his injury, knowing all too well that the Oilers playoff dreams are gone (again). After seeing McDavid surge up the rookie (and regular player) point totals, I was completely convinced that we were going to have another batch of playoffs at the old rink.

Where to go from here? “We wait” sounds as good as any option.

103. hunter1909 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Disney and racism is a whole can of worms.

Disney teaches American children that “Americans” are good and all “non-Americans” are subhuman buffoons, whose lives do not matter.

As they grow up, these children become either “left wing” or “right wing” … retaining their Disney worldview that all “non-Americans” are subhuman buffoons, whose lives do not matter.

104. hunter1909 says:

hunter1909: Or, as great grand pop Hunter1809 used to say: “Not many atheists during an indian attack”.

If I live forever, I doubt if I’ll live to top this.

105. JDï™ says:

hunter1909: If I live forever, I doubt if I’ll live to top this.

I hope you do.

106. G Money says:

I came in at 82 points. True story: I think we’re still on track to get something close to that.

This is the only Hunter contest I’ve entered.

I’ve only ever entered one ‘guess the jellybeans’ contest and I won that one.

Chew on that, m*therf*ckers!

TRADE BOOKJIE!

107. Oilanderp says:

I said 80.5, cause i’m cool like that.

108. JDï™ says:

G Money: TRADE BOOKJIE!

Make sure he’s out of the conference though.

109. JDï™ says:

Oilanderp:
    I said 80.5, cause i’m cool like that.

Spoiled ballot. Sorry.

110. Oilanderp says:

Lately I have been considering that the universe might actually NOT be designed for me, and that the Oilers might not actually be Cup contenders until I am recycled. Honestly, it never entered my mind until lately.

(this message brought to you by ROGERS TIME MACHINE INC., bringing blogging messages to the future since 1993)

111. Oilanderp says:

In the meantime, I thought I would share with you what I have been rea(wa)d(tch)ing lately:

Great for anyone who appreciates curiosity and wonder about the world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHoxZF3ZgTo

Great for kids and adults alike!

112. Yeti says:

G Money: TRADE BOOKJIE!

No. Send him down to the ECHL.

113. jp says:

G Money:

TRADE BOOKJIE!

It’s just a shame we’ve been driving down his value lately.

We won’t get anything more than a couple of magic beans for him a this point.

114. Lois Lowe says:

Bruce McCurdy: i’m a mick too, feel free to keep that part.

God damnit, call him Apollo like I’ve been saying.

115. Johnny Larue says:

Heading to Aniheim tomorrow although I am disappointed about the start of the season I still see progress being made . I think that we are improving a lot but the results are lagging due to injuries etc. I think because of the past 9 years of suffering people are having trouble seeing the forest in regards to the trees. Being a long term fan I can understand but I think if you all look hard you can truly see progress . The promised land is not far away and if you squint you can see if do not despair better things are closer than many think. I will pass on my observations from tomorrow’s game but truly I think things are going to get better sooner than later.

116. Ryan says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

It has been keeping me a little distant from these parts of late.

Let’s all blame our psychiatrists for us being crazy. 🙂

About the only thing I think we can all reasonably blame Lowetide for is keeping us intensely interested and engaged in this *challenged* franchise.

Now stop sucking and win some games Oilers.

117. Spoils says:

We could trade any TWO of our top 6 ((besides McJ)) AND throw in our top pick next year – if we got a true blue unicorn #1D back in return – a Shea Weber level guy that could play with the McDavid Cluster…. that would leave us with: McDavid plus 4 O plus #1D plus klef/nurse plus talbot.

with smart adds that’s a cup team in 3 years

without the #1D we get 0 cups.

ZERO CUPS

we can’t develop a #1D (takes too long)
    we can’t fill the gap signing guys like Seabrook who are quality #2-4 guys (not the same role)
    we risk too much planing to fill the gap by hoping Nurse or Klef or Schultz emerges

we need a stop the presses trade.

Hall + Yak + #1 in 2016 for OEL seriously, that is an overpay. absolutely an overpay, but it would be worth it because our team would be better.

I know that sounds crazy, but our team would be better.

MAKE A TRADE

118. RexLibris says:

Lois Lowe: God damnit, call him Apollo like I’ve been saying.

As in Creed, Olympian, or son of Adama?

All three?

119. jake70 says:

RexLibris: As in Creed, Olympian, or son of Adama?

All three?

.I saw a movie trailer last night on TV, was CREED with Stallone. I am assuming it’s Apollo’s son. Please let there be no slo-mo beach frolicking in this one LOL

120. jake70 says:

hunter1909:
    HeatTreaterJoe,

I think 5 min before game 1 I entered 71 points. Not sure if I posted in time. I felt a little silly with most being higher but just had a gut feeling…….but it’s “early” yet as they say In BlueJays nation every May.

121. Frank the dog says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    I guess that makes me the negative ninny around here with 85 points. That said, I think the Oilers are right on track.In 2016 everyone here will be singing a different tune. It’ll be zip-a-dee doo-dah for BipOiler Nation, I’m calling it now.

I put down 74 points iirc.

122. Frank the dog says:

hunter1909:
    HeatTreaterJoe,

10 entries chose 82 points, while 11 entries chose 97 points.

This appears to be the reasonable range… 82-97 points.

PPS: You’re both a gentleman, and a scholar.

I thought I put down 74 points a couple of times. Was it actially 76 or did you not notice my posts?

123. jake70 says:

Keith:

Didn’t listen to the interview but interesting tidbit regarding lyric changes. Saw Lightfoot few years back and before he sang this one he described changing the lyrics about the hatches/human error and he contacted some of the families personally to let them know of the change.

From an article ……” “He was pretty impressed by what he saw in the Documentary episode of “Dive Detectives” , new evidence that unsecured hatch covers didn’t cause the ship to sink………………….

.the traditional verse goes: “When supper time came the old cook came on deck /Saying ‘Fellows it’s too rough to feed ya’ /At 7 p.m. a main hatchway caved in /He said, ‘Fellas it’s been good to know ya.”
    Lightfoot’s lyrics have now been changed to: “When supper time came the old cook came on deck /Saying ‘Fellows it’s too rough to feed ya’ /At 7 p.m. it grew dark, it was then/He said, ‘Fellas it’s been good to know ya’,” “

124. jm363561 says:

Woodguy: Here something to consider:

Klef w/ Davidson were (0-7) together vs CHI
    Klef w/ Fayne were (8-7)53.% together vs CHI

I’d like to see Davidson take Gryba’s spot with Reinhart.

I bet the young man would do well.

Two D with about 20 NHL games under their belt between them – God help us! I like both players but it is asking too much of them. On the other hand I suppose it will either make them or break them ahead of planning for next year.

125. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Ryan: Let’s all blame our psychiatrists for us being crazy.

Now stop sucking and win some games Oilers.

I didn’t mean to blame LT. I was trying to demonstrate that I thought expectations around here were a bit too high to begin with.

Seems I phrased it poorly and also didn’t account for context (ie, some people were already worked up and likely attacking LT for it).

I have apologized for the offense caused.

126. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Speaking of Disney, ABC and ESPN, what happened to Grantland? The only good part of ESPN.com as far as I was concerned, axed….

The Al Gore is getting worse and worse. Good content disappearing as click bait and psuedo-journalism rises. Thank goodness for the existence of this site.

127. Seismic Source says:

Bruce McCurdy:

We just expect shoulder injurys now.Its the Oilers. Its pretty much the teams initiation at this point. Welcome to the Oilers,your shoulder surgery is tomorrow. Im just hoping Drai’s shoulders are too broad to play that game.

128. PhrankLee says:

Morning, boys.

Knives are out. And now everyone is patting themselves on the back for predicting futility.

LT is a deep thinker and an eternal optimist and that’s why I love him. Mr gentleman backpacker is seemingly not appreciative of fans being hopeful. What the hell is wrong with being hopeful? Even if LT HAD whipped up the population what the hell is wrong with that? Happy you’ve squared with LT. I like your posts Mr Backpacker.

Mc David brought this blog all manner of new posters and they have all disappeared since he got hurt. So I do not consider that bandwagon jumping. I consider it fans being fans. There are still plenty of us that have been here for years. I mean years. That’s rare in blogs. This place is the best blog in hockey bar none. Full stop. Fuck Bookije.

This is a pretty tight knit community. It is filled with overbearing and knowledgeable posters. I am not one of them Well maybe overbearing. I’m here for love of the team and love of spelling and grammar. There are adults here and the pissants get flushed with nonsense like trade Hall+2016+, + a partridge in a pear tree for OEL. Guess what? That trade does NOT make Arizona better. And it takes 80 points out of our line up.

Hunter sweepstakes tell where the bulk of posters are. And that is somewhere between still mad about 6 rings and just outside of the playoffs.

The improvement needed to challenge for a playoff spot NEXT YEAR is roughly .500 hockey this year.
    No playoffs.

Head into next year with 1 season of .500 hockey under the belt and you will see the bodies of our enemies litter the streets. We will dance naked dripping in their entrails and blood.

They need to learn things like closing out a game. Like protecting the lead by scoring another goal!! (I know, who would have thought?)

Like not tolerating any nonsense between whistles on our young stars.

Like supporting the D so they actually have a target to pass to. How is Gryba supposed to nail a stretch pass to 3 F at the redline? It’s crazy to blame Gryba for not being able to do it. I
    t’s on the damn forwards to adjust to whomever is playing the blue at any given moment. Not the other way around.

You dont get anywhere asking less skilled guys to elevate. You have to get the skilled guys to give the less skilled guys more support breaking out, pinching, backchecking, etc.

In other words how to play as a team. Coach said it the other day addressing a taboo subject. He said they have a broken belief system. Where they still do not believe they can.

That’s going to take this entire season and maybe a quarter of the next due to McDavid getting hurt.

129. Bank Shot says:

RexLibris: No.

Except LT, because he has the keys to the beer fridge.

I see the talent.

I see the structure.

I see the coaching schemes.

I want to believe that the Oilers are turning north but the boy has cried wolf too often already.

Eakins had them winning the corsis early two seasons running.

Mact assured us they were visually better.

Nothing short of wining games will get my attention anymore. The Oilers are one bad stretch of games away from 4 month death march……again.

The heart breaking part is that another bottom five finish virtually guareentees they will miss the playoffs next season as well.

I don’t think anyone is upset that the Oilers aren’t in playoff contention. We se upset that they can’t even tread water.

Buffalo just went from having a historically bad team to being a strong possession club and roughly .500 in one off season. Edmonton could as well if they didn’t keep “staying the course “. The solution to every question mark isn’t always more development.

130. hunter1909 says:

jake70,

You’re tied for 2nd place.

Frank the dog,

74. Currently in 4th place.

131. magneto says:

It always amazes me how great Oiler fans are at reading body language, and now they can determine aging on a near 50 yr old man in a glance? Wow, what a time to be alive

132. Yeti says:

Happy Diwali everyone!

133. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

PhrankLee,

There’s nothing wrong with being hopeful; you are right. I wasn’t addressing those people. I am hopeful, for example. LT’s post was addressing people who have become hopeLESS. That is whom I was addressing: those who were calling for big things and talking big and then ran away or got upset with the slow start, on the one hand saying they understand it’s a tough schedule to start the season and there have been injuries and that turnarounds and systems take time, yet go screaming to trade Hall or Nuge or call for Chia’s head.

If we weren’t all hopeful we wouldn’t keep following this sad team for 10 years or keep coming here.

Fuck I wish I could take that post back, everyone missed the point entirely and got all kinds of meanings from it i never intended. Hope is great. Bipolarism isnt.

Fuck you Bookije!

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    PhrankLee,

Fuck you Bookije!

It’s all good. I could have been less pissy in my response, that would have helped a great deal. For that,I apologize to you. Let’s move on. 🙂

135. PhrankLee says:

Lowetide: It’s all good. I could have been less pissy in my response, that would have helped a great deal. For that,I apologize to you. Let’s move on.

Ha. Way ahead of you, LT. I forgot to say I also come here because the manners here are admirable for a blog community.

SO Leon on the 1 line. What would you say he is worth in trade alone vs. in a package. I mean I don’t want Scott Hannan and a 2nd in return. Leon and what/who?

I am loathe to watch him go. But I think that’s what this is about.

They are under the gun for some points.

Anyway this all begs the question:

LT, why do you hate Leon?

136. hudler1234 says:

RexLibris:
    Bob McKenzie Retweeted
    TSN Hockey ‏@TSNHockey 5m5 minutes ago

c
    Why would an aging veteran like Marleau waive his NTC to go to a bottom feeder team. The only reason he would leave the comfort of San Jose is to get a legit chance of a stanley cup. Thats the problem, here, they cant convince quality veteran players like a marleau to come here and stuck with fading guys like Niktin, Fayne, the last few years. Look at the rise of the dallas stars who missed the playoff last year, adding veteran experienced players like sharp, oduya, and niemi, suddenly they are a competiive cup contender.
    d

137. hudler1234 says:

hunter1909: Here’s what gets me:

Since McDavid’s injury, the Oilers have meekly returned to their losing.

No character. No heart. No soul. Nothing more than loser hockey.

It’s what’s called “a disgrace”.

expecting an 18 year old rookie to literally put the oilers into the playoffs on his back, was unreasonable , and the loss of him is no doubt devastating, but i have to agree with the original poster here, guys like Hall, Nuge, Eberle, should be the ones driving this team, they are now the veterans here, as they have all been here 4 to 5 years. If they once again have a death march soon, then its seriously time to change the makeup of the core of this team.

138. hudler1234 says:

NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker":

That’s not at all what I meant, so I apologize. No where did I say you did it to excite the masses. I was alluding to cause and effect, not intent.This place was brimming with optimism with the management change, Talbot acquisition, McDavid etc.

Lets face it the media here in edmonton, are way too soft in this team. They have been the biggest joke in the NHL tthe last 5 years, you ask anybody outside this market, and they cant believe how a team can still be this bad after all these high draft picks. The fact is since they have taken taylor hall, the team is exactly the same. A basement feeding embarassment, . You can throw all the corsi possesion numbers, the tough schedule excuses out the window. Start winning games, , thats all the fans want,

139. Pechetr says:

Water Fire,

There are hundreds of thousands of people on this planet named Jesus (pronounced HayZeus). Are each of them blasphemous? As you expect others to respect your faith, please respect those that do not follow it. Now back to the Oilers…..

140. BustedSoulO says:

hunter1909,

“Already, the 2nd week of November and Oiler fans are starting to bail. Bandwagon jerks, all of us.”

YUP!

141. stevezie says:

Pechetr,

Well, come on. We all know the name is not referencing Jesus Hernandez.

I like Lander with Ebs and Purcell. LT And i may be the last holdouts believing Purcell has some offence to give, but i think the trio is at least worth a shot.