OILERS SEND DOWN SLEPYSHEV, POULIOT AND HENDRICKS LIKELY TO PLAY

The Edmonton Oilers will probably have some good news for you tomorrow, as veteran wingers Benoit Pouliot and Matt Hendricks are likely to return for the Kings game.

Slepyshev is clearly a player the Oilers value, he made the big club out of the box this fall and was recalled this past week. His size and speed (along with skill) make him an attractive option, along with loads of experience against men in the KHL. He’ll probably play tomorrow night for Bakersfield.

The addition of these two men may allow the Oilers to split up Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Leon Draisaitl, while also giving a boost to the third line.

• Taylor Hall—Leon Draisaitl—Jordan Eberle
  • Benoit Pouliot—Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—Nail Yakupov
  • Matt Hendricks—Anton Lander—Teddy Purcell
  • Luke Gazdic—Mark Letestu—Iiro Pakarinen

That’s my guess, I think we should expect a ‘big’ roster against the Kings—which means Gazdic and Pakarinen probably win the day over Andrew Miller. It has also been reported that Andrew Ference could draw in, suspect one of the younger blue might see a day off in the city of angels tomorrow.

THESE ARE BETTER DAYS

A year end November, the Oilers were in a bad way. The losses were mounting and wouldn’t let up until the new year (four wins total, Nov and Dec). At the end of the month, I wrote:

As I see it, the Edmonton Oilers are boxed in and snowed under this morning. Although the team won a couple of points on the road trip, and played a good game in Nashville, the season is gone and we’re many miles from halfway home. It’s beyond Groundhog Day—the movie—this is now an historic march through the absolute nadir of a sports team. A generation of hockey players have been picked up, consumed and spit out. Another generation is on its way. The “Gagner era” was a miserable failure but the “Hall era” looks like more of the same.

This morning, the Oilers have very few options available to them in terms of appeasing the fanbase.

1. Make a significant trade
  2. Fire the coach
  3. Fire the GM and the coach
  4. Have the owner write another apology letter
  5. Explain to the fanbase why losing another year is a good idea
  6. Ignore the fanbase

Daryl Katz decided to fire the coach, open a forensics file and we lived through another long winter in this northern town. 2015 fall, we’re enjoying good weather, missing Connor McDavid and wondering what happens from here. For me, it’s simple. The Oilers simply have to play the rest of this November schedule as close to .500 as possible, possibly clawing back on those four games that were losses at the beginning of the season. If at any point between now and the time McDavid returns, this team can hit .500, I believe that will represent ‘due north’ for the Edmonton Oilers. Todd McLellan is alone, relying on his current roster and good news from the IR. It is a difficult time, but many miles from last winter.

If the Oilers suffer a losing streak this month, perhaps the pressure will become unbearable, forcing a trade. Peter Chiarelli may help with a trade, the farm has no more to give.

58 Responses to "OILERS SEND DOWN SLEPYSHEV, POULIOT AND HENDRICKS LIKELY TO PLAY"

1. leadfarmer says:

Given Chias record so far, any “help” he brings in may not actually help at all. Expecting overpayment for a poor bottom 6 player.

2. Mr DeBakey says:

leadfarmer:
    Given Chias record so far, any “help” he brings in may not actually help at all.Expecting overpayment for a poor bottom 6 player.

Are you implying McLellan, Gryba, Reinhart, Letestu and Korpikoski are answers to a poorly formulated question?

leadfarmer:

Sekera is a good NHL defenseman, I’m prepared to defend that all day. Talbot has had a horrible start but writing him off after 11 games is crazy. Letestu has more to give for sure. I think the Reinhart investment and the Korpikoski bet were risky and maintain both were overpayments/unwise, but after that I don’t think we’re far enough into things too make the call on any of these guys. Forgot Gryba. I do wonder why he plays so much.

4. Ryan says:

leadfarmer:

So far, with the obvious exclusion of his lottery pick, and maybe Sekera, the Chiarelli additions haven’t been spectacular to say the least. Even the goaltending’s been subpar.

Gryba… Reinhart… Korpse… Testube… That’s not much to move the dial forward.

5. Centre of attention says:

So I guess tomorrow is a scheduled loss. Gazdic AND Ference will draw in? Split up the Hall line?

They are going to get run out of the building. Talbot wont have a chance.

Disturbing to think you can look at the Oilers roster on a given day and pretty much say “yeah thats a loss”

You would think they would be past that point by now….

6. Ryan says:

Centre of attention,

What’s the Oilers record with/without Ference?

7. Centre of attention says:

This would be my line up tomorrow if I MUST use Ference. Notes beside.

Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle [Wasn’t this line good once upon a time? Ebs is as ready as he will ever be]
    Hall-Drai-Yakupov [Hall won’t mind carrying the puck for Yak. Keeps Drai-Hall pair together too.]
    Hendricks-Lander-Purcell [Grit, Playmaker, and *cross fingers* finisher.]
    Gazdic-Letestu-Pakarinen [Left overs. No more then 8 minutes a night]

Nurse-Sekera [Bad night last night, but has also had some good moments]
    Klefbom-Fayne [About as close as the Oilers can come to an ideal pair]
    Ference-Davidson [Davidson does the lifting, Ference just doesn’t touch the puck ideally]

Talbot [I feel bad for you. Really do]

8. Centre of attention says:

Ryan:
    Centre of attention,

What’s the Oilers record with/without Ference?

Whats the Oilers record period? This team is frustrating beyond belief. No sense in splitting games up to throw a positive spin on things.

This team is awful. Some phenomenal talent on the roster but the team as a whole is flawed to put it mildly.

Singling out one player for ridicule is not productive thought.

Thinking about WHY THE BLOODY HECK this team is (Still!) in the position to be forced to play Ference is what we should put our minds together for and try to figure out.

Oilers with Ference 2-3-0
    Without Ference: 4-8-0

10. Pouzar says:

Nuge and Yak are like Oil and Water. It doesn’t work.
    Leave the Hall-Nuge-Drai line together and put Lander between Ebs and Pouliot.

Looking forward to watching UFC PPV tomorrow night. Will check score after that and watch if all goes well. Us bipolar folk need a break from time to time!

11. leadfarmer says:

I do like the Sekera addition. But it’s not enough. I do like the Talbot addition but I wanted at least one experienced goalie. It hasn’t panned out so far but the chance was worth taking. Really needed to turn Barzal into a more proven defender and a more complete one. I do like Reinhart but overpaying for another rookie is not exactly what we needed

12. fifthcartel says:

I was pretty disappointed in the Korpikoski addition because of his cap hit + extra year and I wasn’t convinced he’s a good player anymore. That cap space would have been more valuable dumping Gordon for picks.

I didn’t like the Reinhart trade all that much either, but if he’s on the third pairing next year with someone not named Gryba that might be a decent pairing. If he’s counted on to play above that then that I’ll be disspointed because that means they didn’t acquire enough help on the right-side.

I’m really hoping they don’t sign Gryba. He was #3 in even strength ice time per game until Nurse got called up (Nurse is actually #1 now interestingly enough), and he shouldn’t be playing that much especially when the TOI difference between him and Sekera isn’t all that much, even with injuries to Schultz and the dislike of Fayne.

In Ottawa last year he was the lowest in even-strength ice time and it’s not like the Senators were that of a good team that he was buried behind a bunch of good players. I’m still confused about the amount of ice time he’s getting .

13. Centre of attention says:

Pouzar:
    Nuge and Yak are like Oil and Water. It doesn’t work.
    Leave the Hall-Nuge-Drai line together and put Lander between Ebs and Pouliot.

Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle
    Hall-Drai-Yakupov

Whats wrong with that top 6? I think Yak can find his way if someone carry’s the puck for him. In this case Hall. Lander would be an OK substitute for 2C, letting Leon slide to the wing.

14. jonrmcleod says:

Pouzar,

Any chance Holm gets the win?

Pouzar:
    Nuge and Yak are like Oil and Water. It doesn’t work.
    Leave the Hall-Nuge-Drai line together and put Lander between Ebs and Pouliot.

Swap those centres.

Pouliot, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle
    Hall, Lander, Draisaitl

Having Nugent-Hopkins play mostly defense between Hall and Draisaitl is a waste. Lander can do that, and he can play with skilled players in the offensive end.

Nugent-Hopkins can do more. Move him away from Hall and back with Eberle.

16. Centre of attention says:

godot10: Swap those centres.

Pouliot, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle
    Hall, Lander, Draisaitl

Having Nugent-Hopkins play mostly defense between Hall and Draisaitl is a waste.Lander can do that, and he can play with skilled players in the offensive end.

Nugent-Hopkins can do more.Move him away from Hall and back with Eberle.

I can live with that top 6. It keeps a struggling Yakupov out as well. Drai/Lander can both take faceoffs depending on whos feeling it or if somebody gets kicked out for being over-aggressive.

17. TeeVee says:

Icing a pairing of Ference-Gryba in LA is a scheduled loss IMO.

18. Zelepukin says:

TeeVee:
    Icing a pairing of Ference-Gryba in LA is a scheduled loss IMO.

Icing that pair anywhere, is trouble.

19. Bank Shot says:

TeeVee:
    Icing a pairing of Ference-Gryba in LA is a scheduled loss IMO.

Oilers in LA is a scheduled loss. The problems on the team go way deeper than the third pairing.

Hell. Chicago won the cup last year without a third pairing.

20. Centre of attention says:

TeeVee:
    Icing a pairing of Ference-Gryba in LA is a scheduled loss IMO.

It would be so Oilers to ice that pairing, though.

I will watch the game, but its just so I can watch Taylor Hall do his thing at this point. The Doughty rivalry is a treat too. I don’t expect an actual hockey game to happen so the next best thing is watch #4 skate and make defenders look silly.

Same as it ever was, same as it ever was.

21. Pouzar says:

jonrmcleod:
    Pouzar,

Any chance Holm gets the win?

A punchers .0000001% of a chance.
    Infinitely better shot the Canadian girl however.

22. Pouzar says:

Centre of attention: Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle
    Hall-Drai-Yakupov

I hate to breakup a line that works.
    Plus Ebs/Pou are a thing and Lander/Ebs have a high CF% in a limited sample size.

23. Pouzar says:

Centre of attention: I hope they try Davidson with Ference. I know, all lefties but seriously ANYTHING is better then uniting Ference-Gryba AKA pre-assembled tire fire complete with quality Good year tires and premium gasoline. That pairing will burn baby burn if you ever let it see the light of day.

It would be so Oilers to ice that pairing, though.

Same as it ever was, same as it ever was.

*plugs ears*

La-La La-La La-La La-La La-La La-La La-La La-La

24. leadfarmer says:

I like the Gryba addition. A long shot prospect and a fourth round pick for a depth dman is fine by me. If it works out it does and given that the currency around the trade deadline is dmen we will likely get a mid round pick back for him. I don’t understand his usage though. He doesn’t need to play every night either.

25. leadfarmer says:

Oilers with Ference 2-3-0
    Without Ference: 4-8-0

So you’re saying Mclellan is throwing the season.

26. Centre of attention says:

Pouzar: I know it’s fashionable to bash Gryba in these parts but my Gord he is not as bad as Ference. No frickin way. Don’t try and convince me.

*plugs ears*

La-La La-La La-La La-La La-La La-La La-La La-La

My hypothetical pairing was including the fact that the Oilers seem ready to dust off Ference.

My choice would be that neither Ference nor Gryba would play. But, here we are and if they want Ference to play Gryba has to get out IMO….

Forgot Gryba. I do wonder why he plays so much.

I think I figured this out.

His PanicsWithThePuck/60 is top 6 on the Oilers.

That matters.

Especially to a coach who has as many young Dmen as this one.

Ryan:
    Centre of attention,

What’s the Oilers record with/without Ference?

Shitty/Shittier

Centre of attention,

So I guess tomorrow is a scheduled loss

A “scheduled loss” is the 2nd of B2B on the road and the 3rd in 4 nights.

People throw that term around without actually knowing what it mean.

As Steve Smith would say (if that was his real name)

“I don’t think that means what you think it means”

Edit: Its a gambling term that was co-opted from the degens.

30. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy,

Also included are afternoon games and games against physical teams if you’re the Oilers.

31. Yeti says:

If Gryba was only being played for 3rd pairing minutes, he’d be a useful addition. He’s not bad, he’s simply being overused, IMO, and that’s a problem of lack of options. Ference, however, is most sadly a considerable problem.

32. Jordan says:

If you’re a smart GM, you play Gryba that much to trade him for a nice pick in two months. He does bring a lot and will be a nice d-first pickup for aa team looking for help, without impacting the core.

I miss Petry.

I also miss Gordon, Marincin, and Barzal.

Klefbom Petry
    Sekera Fayne
    Nurse Marincin

Sigh.

33. Bruce McCurdy says:

*plugs ears*
    La-La La-La La-La La-La La-La La-La La-La La-La

Last night Gryba had some pretty nice numbers.

On-ice (EV):

Corsi: +17/-7
    Fenwick: +13/-5
    Shots +12/-3
    Scoring chances: +7/-1

Individual scoring chances (Staples) 4 for, 1 against

2 shot attempts, both on goal
    3 hits
    1 takeaway
    1 blocked shot

0 giveaways
    0 penalties

+1 (in a 4-1 loss)

Yet on Twitter I read a bunch of smack about how badly he was playing, and damn little praise from any quarter. So I wonder, is this because people’s minds are made up about this player regardless of how he plays? Or do hockey stats do that shitty a job capturing his performance that even when his numbers are great he secretly sucks?

I am genuinely confused about this.

Bruce: I think the only opinions that matter are PC and TMac. I’d bet money we see Fayne dealt and Gryba signed by the trade deadline.

Caleb Jones, three assists tonight. Consider:

18GP, 4-12-16 for the season
    2-9-11 in his last seven games.

Lordy.

36. Bruce McCurdy says:

I suspect you are right. It’s pretty obvious they like Gryba.

What I like about him is not everything, but i do like the fact he brings elements that are otherwise absent. Provides a bit of balance — or ballast, depending on one’s outlook I suppose.

37. Bruce McCurdy says:

Caleb Jones, three assists tonight. Consider:

18GP, 4-12-16 for the season
    2-9-11 in his last seven games.

Lordy.

THAT escalated quickly. And in a very good way.

38. doritogrande says:

Caleb Jones, three assists tonight. Consider:
    18GP, 4-12-16 for the season
    2-9-11 in his last seven games.
    Lordy.

Add one Ethan Bear and we have two of the top-10 D scorers in the Dub.

Currently, that and 3.25M$ will get you Andrew Ference, but it’s fun to have potentially nice things.

39. go_oil says:

First 10 games: 3 W – 7 L
    Second 10 games so far: 3 W – 4 L

It would be nice to see them move the needle a bit after a crappy start. .500 or better in the next 10 games would do wonders. And yeah, screw the “scheduled loss” idea… win the next 3 damnit!

I’d prefer swapping Eberle and Yakupov on the top 2 lines, and try to get YakCity going again:

Taylor Hall—Leon Draisaitl—Nail Yakupov
    Benoit Pouliot—Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—Jordan Eberle

And it’s still frustrating at times not seeing good breakouts and supports out from the defensive zone. Those 1 on 1 board battles and passes need to be won and executed better. Should they implement the Habs’ ind dump out’s from the defensive zone and utilize their speed more? From Friedman’s 30 thoughts:

“Here, for example, are the leaders in percentage of defensive-zone exits that are dump-outs: 1) Montreal 26.9% 2) San Jose 24.9% 3) Florida 24.2% 4) Nashville 24.1% 5) Minnesota 23.1%

That information is updated through Wednesday night. The individual numbers aren’t, but as of last weekend, Nathan Beaulieu and P.K. Subban were high among players who did it the most. Then you look at the film. Therrien uses all four lines, and his team is fast. It’s not hard to find examples of dump-outs that turn into Montreal scoring chances. They’re really dangerous.”

I don’t mind he carousel of defensemen with the mix we have… learning pains with the young group and the vets trying to play within their means – or in Sekera’s case, stepping it up. Is it insane to think this group improves?

40. Ryan says:

Fun fact.

Anton Lander and Tom Gilbert are currently the only two players in the NHL with 17 gp and zero points.

That’s quite an accomplishment.

I feel bad that TMac has so few options down the middle.

Ethan Bear with two assists tonight, now 18GP, 4-15-19.

42. Ryan says:

go_oil,

I was watching some NFL highlights today.

I’m not even a casual football fan anymore sadly btw. I hear this “quarterback pass completion rate” stats and…

Bam! That’s what we need for dmen’s outlet passes.

That would be a beauty stat to have.

43. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:
    Centre of attention,

So I guess tomorrow is a scheduled loss

A “scheduled loss” is the 2nd of B2B on the road and the 3rd in 4 nights.

People throw that term around without actually knowing what it mean.

As Steve Smith would say (if that was his real name)

“I don’t think that means what you think it means”

Edit: Its a gambling term that was co-opted from the degens.

Unless, apparently, you are the Calgary Flames.

*grrrrr*

44. RexLibris says:

Bruce McCurdy: I suspect you are right.It’s pretty obvious they like Gryba.

What I like about him is not everything, but i do like the fact he brings elements that are otherwise absent.Provides a bit of balance — or ballast, depending on one’s outlook I suppose.

45. RexLibris says:

LT, I don’t want to get into a grammar war here (that’s “ar” not “er” like Kelsey Grammer, because that guy I would go to war against!), but that headline really needed a semicolon after Slepyshev.

When I glanced at it was scared they had sent down Slepyshev AND Pouliot with Hendricks drawing in.

Of course I was also on my second sip of stout and am an infamously cheap drunk, so there could be some mitigating circumstances there.

46. Bruce McCurdy says:

RexLibris: That last sentence is the reason I always stop to read what you write, regardless of the topic at hand.

thanks. I do enjoy a bit of wordplay on occasion.

47. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:

Forgot Gryba. I do wonder why he plays so much.

I think I figured this out.

His PanicsWithThePuck/60 is top 6 on the Oilers.

That matters.

Especially to a coach who has as many young Dmen as this one.

I think that is it as well.

At least to a degree.

He has shown some poor decision-making in previous games wrt his passing that speaks to someone who didn’t really have his head on his shoulders – specifically that one pass during the full change that went right to the opposition and resulted in a goal against.

But he is a veteran who doesn’t screw things up as often as most of the others, and maybe McLellan is looking at it as though if this is the best veteran D he has, then this is who he has to play.

I’ve said in the past that I like the idea of putting him with either Davidson or Reinhart as the mentor, and while I don’t know how effective it really is, I can’t deny being in favour of it at the time.

48. Ryan says:

Oilers with Ference 2-3-0
    Without Ference: 4-8-0

(Sarcasm alert).

49. RexLibris says:

Ryan: So what you’re saying is that the stats suggests that the Oilers would win more games if they play Ference more?

(Sarcasm alert).

Clearly this indicates that there is a higher probability of the Oilers playing a hockey game during events where Andrew Ference is not playing hockey than those events where Andrew Ference is playing hockey.

We’ve established correlation.

Now, on to causality.

Any theories?

50. jp says:

doritogrande:
    Caleb Jones, three assists tonight. Consider:
    18GP, 4-12-16 for the season
    2-9-11 in his last seven games.
    Lordy.

Add one Ethan Bear and we have two of the top-10 D scorers in the Dub.

That’s some seriously impressive draft +1 scoring for defensemen. They’re 2 of the 3 youngest players in the top 10 D too (and both outscoring Provorov).

Jones is tied for 4th in overall rookie scoring as well.

Damn fine picks apparently!

51. go_oil says:

Ryan,

That would be fantastic… and I don’t know what outbreak systems they have, but I’ve seen them execute good supportive breakouts, but then there are those times where they try to swing it back around another way and get hemmed in. How much of it is the forwards not being in the right spots? Or is the onus more on the defensemen to skate it/pass it up?

52. Seismic Source says:

LT,

I like your lines but Id swap Yak with Eberle. The Pou-RNH-Ebs line has already proven in the past to work, and Hall has atleast shown flashes of chemistry with Yak. It also gives Tmac the option to replace Yak with Hendricks mid game if he goes wandering.

53. Pouzar says:

Bruce McCurdy: So I wonder, is this because people’s minds are made up about this player regardless of how he plays? Or do hockey stats do that shitty a job capturing his performance that even when his numbers are great he secretly sucks?

Both. Especially the part where people have made up their minds about him.
    He is miles better than Ference imo and it’s not close. People need to watch a few games
    from last year. I hate to pile on Ference but maaaaann.

54. Pouzar says:

Ethan Bear with two assists tonight, now 18GP, 4-15-19.

That is frickin awesome.

Let’s just say he puts up a 0.70-0.75 PPG this year…..how lofty is that exactly for his situation?

55. Pouzar says:

Bruce McCurdy: THAT escalated quickly.And in a very good way.

Wow…the more I read the better it gets!

56. Pouzar says:

We need to hit a homerun on the Caleb Jones/Ethan Bears of the world.
    Like who’s that kid in St. Louis? Just what they need. Another D Stud.

57. jm363561 says:

doritogrande:
    Caleb Jones, three assists tonight. Consider:
    18GP, 4-12-16 for the season
    2-9-11 in his last seven games.
    Lordy.

Add one Ethan Bear and we have two of the top-10 D scorers in the Dub.

The Rebuild is on track!

58. Mr. D. says:

Wouldn’t it be nice if we had Karlsson, Doughty, Weber, Subban, Oel etc as our six D.
    Yes they move the puck but 2 things:
    Do our forwards support enough and would we quit giving away the puck entering the offensive zone.
    How would our forwards look with 48 mil worth of D mean?
    Yes PUCK MOVING is a big part of the game but on average we only have the puck for half the game. What happens when we can’t break the cycles or clear view for the goalie.
    Too many fans in dreamland.