PAY YOUR DUES

There are times in life, or in sports, or even in music, when something begins one way and ends another. The Edmonton Oilers are 6-12-0, suspect we’ll see some stunning runs in the new year. There’s plenty of blacktop to go.

I’ve been thinking about this year’s Oilers, and in some ways it seems like Peter Chiarelli and Todd McLellan are doing their discovery on a laundry list of things we already knew. We can be impatient for the management and coaching staff to suss things out (recall Nurse, flush Nikitin) but the new men in sharp jackets probably wanted to trust their own eyes and instincts. No worries, we might do the same, especially when the advisors—who built this city—recommended staying the course (I’m projecting here, but it’s a reasonable thought).

Connor McDavid is about two weeks into things now and is riding a bike, did some upper body work in the gym and he’s off to see Doctor Oz so we should get an update tomorrow. I think it’s best to expect mid-January (or so) and then if we’re pleasantly surprised then it’s music. Peter Chiarelli’s estimates (months) are always on the far side of the lake so we’re all guessing. Lordy I miss watching Connor McDavid play the hockey.

nov 16 vollman

Justin Schultz is skating again, with the team. The puck-moving defender will go right into the lineup when ready, although it’ll be interesting to see where they run him. Peter Chiarelli made three bets this summer and one of those bets may see a crunch when Schultz gets activated from the IR. Possible moves include:

• A trade. Fayne makes the most sense based on reading the tea leaves, I’d move Gryba.
  • Sending a player down. Brandon Davidson might be the one based on Todd McLellan’s usage, I’d send Reinhart down. Darnell Nurse is also possible.
  • IR someone.

When Schultz does come back, the most logical alignment might be:

• Klefbom—Fayne
  • Nurse—Sekera
  • Davidson—Schultz

If I’m betting, it would be:

• Sekera—Fayne
  • Klefbom—Schultz
  • Nurse—Gryba

We’ll see.

I don’t think it likely Bogdan would get the call, to be honest if Anton Lander is flushed we might see Hendricks move over (and Korpikoski play in his spot). Edmonton has so many men underperforming, we could be in for a surprise when the injured men return.

TRADE WINDS

Elliotte Friedman was on Calgary radio this morning talking about the Minnesota Wild. They have some youngsters on the way and may be convinced trading someone on the blue is the right play. Edmonton should be in on that, for sure.

minnesota vollmanSpurgeon is the guy for me, that would be a helluva move for Peter Chiarelli. If Edmonton can make that move, the top six D might be:

• Klefbom—Spurgeon
  • Sekera—Fayne
  • Nurse—Schultz

We wait.

97 Responses to "PAY YOUR DUES"

1. Ice Sage says:

Nurse – Jultz!
    (let’s turn the drama to 11)

2. Mr DeBakey says:

When Schultz does come back, the most logical alignment might be:
    Klefbom—Fayne
    Nurse—Sekera
    Davidson—Schultz

I agree.

I heard a bit of The Lowedown today.
    You had me yelling at the radio.
    “Four new guys” you said “Sekera, Gryba, Nurse & Reinhart.”
    “FIVE” I screamed. “There’s FIVE. Goddammitt!”

Is McDavidson not new?
    #88 in our programs and #1 in our hearts?
    Its MacT on Marincin all over again.

3. OF17 says:

I think Yakupov is the guy to go. He’s been dominant with McDavid, but removed from him, he’s been quite ordinary. A Ferrari is good in its own circumstances, but take those away, and it seems quite limited. Hall-Nuge-Draisaitl Pouliot-McDavid-Eberle seems to be a natural top 6 of the future. Put it this way, I’d much rather have Draisaitl in the lineup than Yakupov.

4. ruotsalainen says:

Klefbom—Spurgeon
    Sekera—Fayne
    Nurse—Schultz

Many know I, and a few others are supporters of Spurgeon, but I honestly had never thought about where and who to slot him with.

I need not think about that anymore, because you have apparently done my thinking for me. Klefbom and Spurgeon would be a really strong pairing.

Also pushes others down the order which is something the Oilers badly need but haven’t done enough of these several years.

Please let it happen.

5. AsiaOil says:

From the last thread – yes Woodguy – I became Dark Asia the day MacT fired Kruger via skype and hired the dementor – and returned to AsiaOil the day they fired MacT and brought in Chia. A very sad era of Oiler hockey that blackened the orgs reputation (almost terminally) that I hope we never see the likes of again.

As for the trade – yeah you got it LT – it’s Spurgeon. Right age and just a little shy with respect to size – but he’s a player. This year’s #1 seems a bit dear for Spurgeon – but got to think that Gryba, Shultz and Fayne are all in the conversation – maybe Yak as well. If we could get Niederreiter as well that would be great – maybe Yak, Gryba and a swap of #1s for Spurgeon and Neideridder? Sound fair? I think there’s the makings of a major deal with MINN that addresses both team’s needs – but we will see if Chia can put the pieces together.

Eberle is also a guy we can afford to deal if decide to keep Yak with CMD. Plus I would also be selling dmen at the deadline like crazy: Fayne, Gryba, Shultz, Nikitin, Ference should all be moved for picks or prospects unless something actually useful can be gained in return. We can easily give up our #1 this year if we offset by selling dmen at the deadline.

Woodguy:
    AsiaOil,

Did you change your sn to DarkOil back then?

6. hunter1909 says:

SuperDave’s injury aside, Disraitl’s emergence as a potential superstar has been the secondary story of this 6-12 Oilers season to date.

Leon the Point Farmer reminds me of a young Mario. Leon owns the puck, is sensationally calm, and like young Mario comes with a lazy tag from his occasional detractors.

Personally I feel like one of the most bipolar Oiler fans in a Lowetidian Universe which resembles Bedlam. 9 years out of the playoffs will do that.

On the other hand, 6-12 isn’t the end of the world either. Were this team to suddenly gel, anything’s possible.

Leon the Point Farmer is absolute top dead center. Wow.

8. AsiaOil says:

Having RNH, Drai and CMD may not always be a luxury we can afford – but we can now – and Drai’s flexibility to play RW is fantastic since it allows us to cash Eberle or Yak for a defenseman.

20 games

That’s what we need to see to make an appropriate deal. For me the #1 next summer and Yak/Eberle are the key trading chips along with any of the Shultz, Fayne, Gryba, Nikitin, Ference. We should move early to get the best defenseman possible with our major chips – but flush the rest of the dmen for any prospects or picks we can get from now until the deadline since dmen are always wanted for the playoffs and stretch drive.

hunter1909:

9. Centre of attention says:

Lordy, Spurgeons bubble on the Vollman looks so damn good.

Question LT:
    In your opinion what would it take to get him? Especially considering that the Oilers are not the only ones calling.

Technically Colorado could be on the phone offering Matt Duchene and some exchange of picks for Spurgeon. They are in the same division though, so maybe they aren’t involved but other teams for sure are.

What do we counter a Duchene caliber offer with? Or do we keep our powder dry if the price is such?

Personally I would hold off if they are asking for a top 6 center. A winger though? Maybe we can talk. All picks are in play imo, lottery protected of course.

10. RPG says:

It’s somewhat ironic that this article is called “pay your dues.” My wife was told her department would be cut in half. When the dust settled five had been laid off. She was spared, but unfortunately had to say good bye to 5 coworkers. Shes earned the right to have a drink and have many others.

RPG:

Absolutely. btw, I didn’t know the ‘pay your dues’ song linked to until today, and I know quite a bit about the Stones.

COA: I don’t think Spurgeon will cost Duchene. He’s an RFA and the team acquiring him gets the next contract and it’s going to be a costly item. I suspect Minnesota will want a lesser contract than DuChene’s, and a winger also under control…..

13. frjohnk says:

sounds like Yakupov

14. Halfwise says:

RPG:

There’s so much we take for granted until something unexpected happens. Hope her former coworkers can land on their feet.

15. Khlhfs says:

frjohnk,

Depending on how much Zucker and Dumba sign for the Wild could be facing a cap crunch. Minnesota could seek draft picks and/or prospects for Spurgeon.

16. leadfarmer says:

Centre of attention:
    Lordy, Spurgeons bubble on the Vollman looks so damn good.

Question LT:

Wild can’t take on Duchenes contract. Not now, and would be really hard for them in the future. I don’t see why they would trade Spurgeon until the offseason. They need him for the playoff run and they still have his rights in the offseason.

17. jfry says:

i’ve been thinking about some player usage lately, but there hasn’t been the right thread to pipe up.

Re: gryba,
    i was assuming he was picked up to provide a significant physical presence.
    he’s on pace for about 80pims, which while a lot, isn’t a significant physical presence.
    which matches “my eye” … he doesn’t need to be bollig, but i thought he’d be a little closer, because he’s never be known for his d-game, so much as his physicality.

i thought that he would be mandated to play a little tougher
    which would allow us to play gadzic significantly fewer minutes and look a different make up for the fourth line (i know injuries have been crazy).

but i don’t feel like that’s the case at all.
    Gryba’s EV TOI suggests he was acquired for his defensive game. a shut down guy!

i feel like i’m missing something here? Did i make that wrong from the start?

18. Halfwise says:

Habs digging out of a 3-0 hole vs the Nucks. Now 3-2 and on the PP.
    Imagine being up 3-0 and giving up a shortie. Fragility is contagious.
    Edit Then a stupid penalty by Semin.

19. square_wheels says:

Khlhfs,

Off season before Minn makes a Spurgeon move unless they get the exact player they want. Yak would be meh to them, Ebs would get them to call back.

20. rocket says:

Agreed. Hard to win with the ” very” young defense and underperforming “veteran” defensemen and underperforming goaltending. Look at what Tampa did – brought in a veteran defensive group and went to the SCF. Agree – send down at least 2 of the young d-men. Also, Oilers have had a ton of injuries and a very tough schedule to-date. Management needs to ensure they don’t over-react.

21. frjohnk says:

square_wheels:
    Khlhfs,

Ebs is too expensive.

For this year and next they have
    Parise at 7.5M
    Suter at 7.5M
    Koivu at 6.75M
    Vanek at 6.5M
    Pominville at 5.6M

That’s almost 34M and to top it off, these guys have NMC’s.

They would be looking for value players/ prospects/ draft picks.

But I don’t see them getting rid of Spurgeon this year.

Probably next summer.

22. böök¡je says:

Leon, McDavid, Nurse… We should be dancing in the streets with anticipation. THIS season is going to get better.

The bottom of the lineup can be fixed and another more senior top 3 defenceman can be brought in (sad to see Yak+draft picks go the other way but that is where we are at).

It’s going to be wonderful*

*at some point.

23. russ99 says:

IMO: Nurse – Schultz is an eventuality, but I didn’t think we’d see it so soon.

They complement each other’s game in many ways, and could be a good pairing on both sides of the ice, especially if Schultz can continue improving his play in the D-zone,

On the PP, I like Schultz with Klefbom. They’d fit well in an umbrella with Hall and Schultz as the puck carriers, Purcell and Leon down low and Klefbom with the point shot.

As for a trade for Spurgeon, I really don’t want to have to face whichever forward we give them so frequently. Would prefer dealing with the East when we make our big F for big D trade.

24. jfry says:

also, for leon, i’ve been thinking of “The Engineer” as a knick. given his style of play and Germany’s strong history with said trade.

When Schultz does come back, the most logical alignment might be:
    Klefbom—Fayne
    Nurse—Sekera
    Davidson—Schultz

If I’m betting, it would be:

Sekera—Fayne
    Klefbom—Schultz
    Nurse—Gryba

So you are betting that the Dman alignment will not be logical?

Is McLellan making decisions based on things other than winning hockey games?

Mr DeBakey,

“FIVE” I screamed. “There’s FIVE. Goddammitt!”
    Is McDavidson not new?

THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!!

Woodguy:
    When Schultz does come back, the most logical alignment might be:
    Klefbom—Fayne
    Nurse—Sekera
    Davidson—Schultz

If I’m betting, it would be:

Sekera—Fayne
    Klefbom—Schultz
    Nurse—Gryba

So you are betting that the Dman alignment will not be logical?

Is McLellan making decisions based on things other than winning hockey games?

Rhymes with five-a.

leadfarmer: Wild can’t take on Duchenes contract.Not now, and would be really hard for them in the future.I don’t see why they would trade Spurgeon until the offseason.They need him for the playoff run and they still have his rights in the offseason.

I agree with this.

Spurgeon will be available due to cap, RFA status, players coming behind, MIN’s opinion of Dumba and probably some other stuff.

I also agree that they don’t trade him until the summer.

He’s playing 1st w/ Suter, why would MIN trade him in season when the most you’d get is high end futures if you don’t take on salary?

Lowetide: Rhymes with five-a.

Gryba?

Who is making that decision and is it illogical?

jfry:

Paddle.

31. Halfwise says:

Woodguy: Paddle.

Eyesight.

32. JDï™ says:

Woodguy: Paddle.

Draisey it is.

Also: Who is 7th son of a 7th son? That one ‘whooshed’ past me.

33. Dr. Taboggan says:

It also seems unlikely that Colorado and Minny make an in division trade.

34. Halfwise says:

Blues Jets, like two teams of mammoths pounding each other.

35. Receptor Antagonist says:

Woodguy: Paddle.

The professional.

I also much like Panzer.

Leon the Point Farmer is good, people. Why are we still trying? It’s over LPF!

37. JDï™ says:

Draisy, Draisy, give me your answer do…

38. Centre of attention says:

I personally want to see Reinhart with Schultz. Davey is there in case of Schultz’s back acting up again IMO and shouldn’t be eating Reinharts lunch every day just yet.

I think a puck mover with ++ skating is exactly what Reinhart needs, and Schultz is exactly that. Right shot as well, which is nice. Reinharts metrics and various fancy stats would look better with an offensive minded partner, rather then a Gryba type right? He might be able to exit the zone making that first crisp pass to Schultz who can skate it out or make a pass, rather then Gryba who won’t do much of anything.

The third pair with Reinhart would also give poor Schultz’s back a bit less of a workout then if he was on second pair facing the Kane line with Klefbom for example.

Side note: Hopefully Schultz’s back is OK and his skating is not affected. He did say something of that sort post-practice today but you never know with these athlete types what they are hiding.

39. Harpers Hair says:

Leon the Point Farmer is good, people. Why are we still trying? It’s over LPF!

The regression fairy is coming.

AsiaOil,

This year’s #1 seems a bit dear for Spurgeon

Agree, really doubt he costs that much.

41. Wonder Llama says:

Harpers Hair,

Stephen Harper’s hair is silver, is it not? Are there those who would even consider him dashing?

42. jonrmcleod says:

Harpers Hair: The regression fairy is coming.

Hi, DSF!

Harpers Hair: The regression fairy is coming.

Sure, DSF. Still, it’s been a timely run and he’s fabulous. Hey, Virtanen’s good too!

44. striker says:

It”s already Dr. Drai and you all know it. The celebratory songs after he scores at Rexall confirms this fact. There’s no amount of T-boning that any of you can do to change it.

45. alice13 says:

He’s Herman (The German)
    Herman Munster

Herman.

46. Dr. Taboggan says:

Harpers Hair,

Hey DSF,
    I cannot figure out how to comment on your blog. Forgot my password. But I enjoy most of your posts. If you toned down your anti-Oilers agenda it would be much better. You think the Oilers suck. We get it.

As far as Drai goes, his shooting % will regress but it is conceivable that he keeps up a high ppg with his slick passing.

47. Pouzar says:

F6cking Lovely.

48. Oil2Oilers says:

Nuge&Ebs
    LPF&Hall
    McDavid&Yam

And 30 odd foot of grunt is all you need to rock and roll up front.

Klefbom-Fayne
    Nurse-Sekera
    Reinhart-Jultz

Upgrade Fayne to Larsson by offering Fayne and two 1st round picks.

Hope a goalie can win an October (is the Bullin Wall still available he was OK in October?)

49. alice13 says:

Although Woodguy pointed out that he’s actually Irish, so Paddle could be

Paddy

Which would become Paddy Murphy

And we’d just shorten that to Murphy.

So that’s it: Herman, or Murphy.

Herman the Point Farmer Murphy.

50. Younger Oil says:

Harpers Hair: The regression fairy is coming.

More like A Harper’s Heir, am I right? 😀

51. Wonder Llama says:

“Part of the reason this 6-12-0 season began as it has goes back to Nikita Nikitin and the fact he wasn’t able to win a job OR put himself in a position for immediate recall when injuries hit. That’s a big part of this season’s story, and it seems to me that one thread in the Oilers story is getting forgotten.”

52. Mr DeBakey says:

Wonder Llama: LT, I’m having difficulty understanding this. Did we not, for the most part, expect NN to be bought out, traded, or sent down (saving 950K)? I don’t get how his absence is such an important factor in the 6-12 start.

Rhymes with Brodie Hanson.

Wonder Llama:

54. Wonder Llama says:

Ah, okay, it’s not NN’s absence per se, it’s the bet on him to the exclusion of a Franson or similar. Didn’t make the connection – thanks.

55. JDï™ says:

Younger Oil: More like A Harper’s Heir, am I right?

At the very least, Harper’s Bizarre.

56. böök¡je says:

Lowetide: It’s important because it was the wrong decision. PC ‘may’ have decided he didn’t want to pay the buyout penalty but even that was a mistake. The Oilers badly needed an actual defenseman, be it cody Franson or Matt Carle, etc, to make this season go. That’s a major misstep.

57. böök¡je says:

Harpers Hair: The regression fairy is coming.

So is winter, but every day that it is above zero and there is no snow on the ground, the mean is moving upwards for the season.

58. Frank the dog says:

Except for acting exclusively in the interests of next year and beyond.

59. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

The Dys are 7-13. The Oil 6-12. Only stupid Bettman points are the difference. Calendar year 2016 is going to be super fun as this team makes hay.

Message to management if you are reading: have patience. Don’t go for short-term gain now after we’ve suffered for a decade.

Deal in the summer from a position of strength. This team will turn north soon as it is.

60. Frank the dog says:

böök¡je: If you care about this season, I am betting that both Chiarelli and TMac assume that they get at least an Eakins before they get any real pressure for success. They are going to be terribly surprised if they only get a Krueger.

I think they already have a Krueger. I think we will see the new Oil emerge in the last 20-30 games.

61. Melvis says:

Harpers hair…Speaking of regression. Dave Balon’s house was on my newspaper route, which might have had something to do with Terry Harper showing up for a meet and greet at the local rec centre in Prince Albert. ’64, I think. Although I hated the Habs, he was the coolest dude. I was nearly shaking when he signed my old Sherwood. We could use that man today.

62. böök¡je says:

Frank the dog: I think they already have a Krueger.I think we will see the new Oil emerge in the last 20-30 games.

63. oilswell says:

You’re in Verdad’s club? If you assume the goal is to win this year, the first year with a new coach and no contracts of importance expiring, then sure, a major misstep.

But if Chiarelli correctly surmised that the cap will be awful for a lot of teams next year (almost certainly true), that the team was too far away to make it this year without mortgaging the future (I’d say that’s pretty fair), that next year would look a lot better with some of the young Ds getting some experience (looking on track), and that really all that is needed to attract UFAs next season is showing well to end the season (see Chicago’s offseason in 2008, and see NYCO’s schedule breakdown), then I’m not sure how big of a misstep we should call it.

He also didn’t buy out Scrivens. Or TCAF. But Nikitin is singled out.

His fixes are all questionable-to-very-questionable except Nilsson and possibly Mr. 6 year contract. At this point, I’m not so sure I would have wanted him to try to fill the space created by dropping Nikitin.

64. jp says:

böök¡je: Poor Ralph, I don’t even think he got his chair adjusted properly before he was out the door.

I think Dithers also failed to get his chair adjusted despite 5 years on the task.

65. Colieo87 says:

Hey I know this is uncommon but I’ve been laid off since Sept. I’ve been doing odd jobs here and there but nothing stable and it’s getting really tough right now anyone on here have anything available from a labor to anything. I have quite a bit if standard safety ticket, I ran equipment from loader to hoe. I’ve been in oil and gas since I was 16 with a plumbing experience expecially gas fitting. If anyone has any contacts or looking for my resume and credentials my email is colecadieux@gmail.com. Thanks you much everyone.

66. Walter Sobchak says:

I watch a lot of hockey, I subscribe to Centre Ice package and I have one a couple observations.

Obviously for the Oilers are defense and secondary scoring.

1) why all the love for Spurgeon as apposed to say Faulk? Keep in mind Faulk doesn’t play on a good team and with a true stud partner.

I’m not strong on the aynalitcs but he runs the PP very well on Car. Plays 26+ a game and by eye has looked amazing this year.

What about a player like Burns or Vlasic?

Both players are coming up on the end of there contracts.

I believe that Oilers have to bring in both a number one and two defensmen and a defensmen that can run the PP.

I believe the Oilers have no choice but to put the lottery pick in play.

Same with Klefbom, Reinhart and Nurse if the return has age, term and development.

Be aggressive in offering RFA’s contracts to defensmen

Rebuild that 3rd and 4th line, one player that comers to mind is Kreider for an offer sheet or trade.

Rebuild that defense and that 3rd line and I think Talbot and the core will explode.

If anything I think we need to talk bigger then Spurgeon.

IMO

67. flea says:

Here is a Minnesota perspective on trading Spurgeon from the summer. I’m sure most of you
    Guys and gals have read it already …

The return the writer and commenters say the Wild are looking for is a Center not a winger and they mention RNH.

Despite the love fest here for Draisaitl – I’m guessing he is the return right now that Minnesota would want if you want Spurgeon. Young, ELC, center. Would anyone do it? Maybe part of a bigger deal?

Here’s another question, if we asked the same question in the summer would the answer be different?

68. G Money says:

Staples, Burtch, Yost having massive Twitter battle over Fayne.

Staples arguing Fayne is not very good.

Yost, Burtch (neither of whom watch the Oilers) arguing he is a good, nay, the Oilers best d man because his Corsi et al is good.

Gotta say, I’m with Staples on this one, and that doesn’t happen very often.

69. Wonder Llama says:

flea,

“Don’t even talk to me about trading Spurgeon for Nail Yakupov. I like #YakCity but to suggest that’s even a reasonable return for a player of Spurgeon’s calibre is insane. I’d begin any Spurgeon to Edmonton trade with RNH and then some.”

As I understood the article, it was written at least partially from the standpoint that trading Spurgeon before the end of this season is “insane.” This summer, perhaps less so. In that case (summer 16 trade) there might be a possibility of a Yak + trade (?). If the Wild wanted RNH or Draisaitl straight up I’d say no thanks, but I admit I might’ve been tempted to do Spurgeon for Drai this last summer.

The idea that Spurgeon is worth “RNH and then some” is, umm, let’s say insane.

70. ashley says:

Chia wants to underpromise and overdeliver. The problem is you lose your credibility fast. 40 points for CMD this year? He’s going to miss a dozen games or so and still blow that out of the water.

18yo out for months or “long-term” with a surgically repaired collarbone fracture? Come on.

71. spoiler says:

G Money:
    Staples, Burtch, Yost having massive Twitter battle over Fayne.

Staples arguing Fayne is not very good.

Gotta say, I’m with Staples on this one, and that doesn’t happen very often.

Mark Fayne is a good defensemen in my books. I think we’re seeing a split in how defensemen are evaluated, and it’s fine.

Colieo87:
    Hey I know this is uncommon but I’ve been laid off since Sept.I’ve been doing odd jobs here and there but nothing stable and it’s getting really tough right now anyone on here have anything available from a labor to anything.I have quite a bit if standard safety ticket,I ran equipment from loader to hoe.I’ve been in oil and gas since I was 16 with a plumbing experience expecially gas fitting.If anyone has any contacts or looking for my resume and credentials my email is colecadieux@gmail.com.Thanks you much everyone.

You bet, Colie. I don’t have anything but I’ll ask about. Good luck and hang in there!

Frank the dog: Except for acting exclusively in the interests of next year and beyond.

Yes. And I do think you can defend Chiarelli from that aspect of the decision.

75. LadiesloveSmid says:

flea:
    Guys and gals have read it already …

I’d do something around this year’s first at the draft. Get their ELC centre that way.

76. G Money says:

He’s been good elsewhere. I don’t think you could argue he’s been more than OK at best here (and that’s certainly open for argument).

The Corsi-is-everything guy is arguing that not only is Fayne good, but he’s actually the best D the Oilers have. Because his Corsi is good.

Another example in my books of why Corsi is a terrible – well, OK, in fairness just not that good – way to assess defensemen.

Doesn’t really work.

77. G Money says:

spoiler: Yost isn’t really even involved. It’s just Burtch and Staples arguing over the validity of Corsi and we all know Staples’ stance on that.

Yeah, that’s why it’s funny. I usually don’t agree with Staples because his arguments are generally based on both a lack of understanding of shot metrics, and a profound lack of understanding of statistics.

But in the argument between “Fayne is bad because scoring chances” and “Fayne is the best D the Oilers have because Corsi”, I’m going with Door A.

78. BONVIE says:

Wow! guys are ready to give up the moon for Spurgeon, he’s undersized but not physical like a MA Bergeron or a Francois Boullion. I would rather have Davidson any day.

They need to play Rheinhart more not less Lowtide I think your looking at the wrong set of numbers to assess dman[see Gmoney’s site for a more practical metric to assess the dmen] at least your cry for him to be sent down comes after his worst blunder to date with Gryba involved choosing to leave the front of the net and a driving Lucic for a perimeter player, but as Mcurdy pointed out he was also on the ice and his play contributed to two goals for the Oilers that game.

Another poster pointed out Rheinhart would be perfect with Shultz.

79. hunter1909 says:

Leon the Point Farmer appears to have galvanized the nickname debate. This cheers the better parts of my cold, cold heart.

Daisraitl still appears to be a name I have yet to learn to spell correctly. But I noticed his genius as early as last season probably around November when he made a sublime pass to Yakupov, who, at that time was playing to his own band. Leon the Point Farmer is right up there with Hall+SuperDave, imo.

The idea of trading any of these guys fills me with bile. We still don’t know which of them are going to make it, and which of them aren’t going to make it to the top of the tree. However, if anyone offers Seth Jones for RNH, I’m going to want to discuss it.

At this point it’s asinine to trade away the team. Despite a 6-12 record it’s still only 18 games, less than a quarter into a long season. Leon would have probably been long gone, if some of the trigger happy traders around these parts had any say. Imagine that next time you decide it’s time to “shake up” the shakiest team in hockey.

80. ruotsalainen says:

striker:
    It”s already Dr. Drai and you all know it.The celebratory songs after he scores at Rexall confirms this fact.There’s no amount of T-boning that any of you can do to change it.

This.

And, is he ever in.

81. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Harpers Hair: The regression fairy is coming.

It already came.

How quickly we forget Leon had the worst PDO in the league last year (>400 mins 5×5).

82. Romulus Apotheosis says:

böök¡je: If you care about this season, I am betting that both Chiarelli and TMac assume that they get at least an Eakins before they get any real pressure for success. They are going to suffer from an acute case of “Steve Smith” if they only get a Krueger.

Fixed.

83. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Staples v Burtch

There is a strong psychological point to be made here about the investment and dedication to a somewhat proprietary mode of analysis.

Hard to expect either interlocutor to abandon or compromise on a self-developed (and very time consuming) effort.

84. stevezie says:

As long as we’re projecting, i think it’s pretty reasonable to think they triggered the buyout window to make some.offers on defenceman and when none were accepted they didn’t see the point in buying out nikita.

Didn’t WG have sources saying offers were made to Erhoff and Franson?

I agree with Friedman, it is better to suffer through one year of Nitkinin’s salary in a season you weren’t likely to contend anyway than to pay him for the next three.

Of course if his presence is causing an upgrade’s absence i take it back, but i don’t see it.

85. blainer says:

Wonder Llama:
    flea,

The idea that Spurgeon is worth “RNH and then some” is, umm, let’s say insane.

Yak plus and I would be all over that.

Again though I believe we are gonna be flying in the second half when we get healthy. A big trade may not even be necessary.

86. blainer says:

oilswell: You’re in Verdad’s club?If you assume the goal is to win this year, the first year with a new coach and no contracts of importance expiring, then sure, a major misstep.

He also didn’t buy out Scrivens.Or TCAF.But Nikitin is singled out.

I do get where PC is coming from. He just came from a team that he helped put in cap hell.

I think that has made him timid. That and his last coupe of trades did not look good.

87. Johnny skid says:

BONVIE:
    BONVIE says:
    November 17, 2015 at 1:22 am

this is how i see it also. to me spurgeon is over valued here and yak is under valued by a lot.

88. Soup Fascist says:

Is there some other guy in the league with the last name of “Spurgeon” that I don’t know about?

Because the price some posters are throwing out for Jared Spurgeon is insane.

I agree he is a nice little puck mover – but RNH? 2016 first (potentially a high 1st)? Holy Overpay, Batman!

G Money: He’s been good elsewhere.I don’t think you could argue he’s been more than OK at best here (and that’s certainly open for argument).

The Corsi-is-everything guy is arguing that not only is Fayne good, but he’s actually the best D the Oilers have.Because his Corsi is good.

Doesn’t really work.

See, I look at is as ‘CorsiRel still gives me my best look’ while still being excited about the new metrics. Back in the old hippie days, we talked about these metrics, sussed them out, looked at them historically and THEN watched how they predicted things over a couple of years.

That’s the great thing about this Yost v. Staples argument. Yost says he’s the best defenseman on the team, Staples says he’s garbage and has negative value. See, that’s something we can track.

That’s what your metric is up against, really. People need to see it, question it, gaze at it, change it, change it back, spend a year finding outliers, figuring out why they’re outliers, and on it goes.

As I’ve expressed many times, Yost’s view is straight math with no bias, where David’s method requires judgement calls—and that’s where we get into a very sticky area.

I hope we find something that gives us a better view than Corsi and Corsi Rel, but honestly it has to be proven (imo) over a couple of years and looked at by a wide range of people. Same as it ever was.

For me, I’m also quite encouraged by the work of Jen Lute Costella, who I’ve had on the show and hope to again. She’s doing the Bill James projected scoresheet thing and the information she’ll find may set us free.

Or our own G Money will. Either way, miles to go and I would argue the industry standard revolves around the Corsi. If you want to change it, you have to prove it.

Same as it ever was.

90. Bank Shot says:

Doesn’t really work.

Corsi has always been wonky on defencemen. People have used it to come to the conclusion that Shea Weber is overrated and that’s just insane. If you just watch him play a few games you can see that conclusion is just way off the rails.

I’ve been arguing against the use of corsi as a good judge of defencemen since back when it was used to prop up Marc-Andre Beregon. It measured that the guy could produce offence no doubt, but a good defenseman he was not.

I like your dangerous chances against metric as an attempt to measure defensive prowess. I think Weber is near the top of the league in that one by the way. ;), but it still seems very difficult to tease out an individual D-man from his teammates.

Someone playing behind Taylor Hall for instance is going to be standing at the opposition blueline for the majority of his shift, and that will boost any and every stat. How to compare that to a defender that has a different role is the million dollar question.

91. oilswell says:

blainer: I think all of us were unhappy with a non buyout. The only buyout that should have occurred was Ference as he is a major handicap on the roster even in the press box.

Well, not quite, I guess. I thought not buying out any of them was the right call, possibly except in the case that a perfect D signing/trade became available somehow.

People justified buyouts based on not wasting year 1 of McDavid’s contract, whereas I was worried more about wasting years 2 and 3.

92. oilswell says:

blainer: This is a massive player according to the advanced stats and he is doing it in the west and in the toughest division in hockey. Doubt they trade that guy unless its for a huge return.

Maybe they will take Mark Fayne? He’s the Oilers best defender by those same advanced stats, right?

93. PhrankLee says:

I like the Spurgeon kid paired with who he is paired with. If they come as a tandem then fine.

But to think that Chia is going to bypass his bigger, stronger initiative is unrealistic. Spurgeon has the best/second best defense partner in the entire league.

He can fit into LTs front shirt pocket.

My little sister is bigger than this guy. Cmon. I’m all in for skill, mobility, durability, passing.

We have tried little guys more than we have tried coke machines. I do not like either.

Mesomorphs make the best hockey.

IMHO Jared Spurgeon does not help the Oilers do what they need to do.

They need to barge around the conference and create a little respect.

Seriously you can spear the best LW in the game playing against Edmonton and laugh all the way back to your bench.

94. Water Fire says:

Suter is a machine at getting the puck going the right way. Any partner of a top 5 defenseman should be viewed with a lot of caution if being acquired to be first pairing no matter what the math view. Spurgeon could easily be Schultz the shorter on the Oilers.

And speaking of JS, if he has a bulging disk he has to be traded. He is not a player that can incorporate a serious back issue into his game especially for those contracts he has never truly earned. Plus he already can’t shoot the puck with any velocity.

Spurgeon and JS on one team likely isn’t a good idea either.

95. GCW_69 says:

Water Fire: Size is an issue always, but Spurgeon has some jam. The big worry is 100% about his partner.

Agreed, you want the driver, not the guy who might be a passenger. There is no Suter on this team today to pair him with.

96. GCW_69 says:

This!

Except the target should have been Ference because you got the same cap benefit this season, opened a reserve list spot, and retained the ability to waive the other dead weight you kept (Nikitin) giving the team maximum roster flexibility for the modest price of $1m in dead space in 2018/19.

97. Klam says:

Know I am late to the party on this thread, but….

What do you guys think of

Hall/Drai/Purcel

Pou/RNH/Ebs

Iiro or trade for new guy/McDavid/Yak

If while McDavid is out and those top two lines start playing well together what do you do when he comes back?