WHO’S DRIVING YOUR PLANE?

The Edmonton Oilers top scorers at even strength are an interesting bunch. Injuries have impacted the team and continue to make things difficult, but the 5×5 scoring among the department of youth has been incredible:

1. Leon Draisaitl (20) 4.35
  2. Connor McDavid (18) 2.72
  3. Taylor Hall (24) 2.67
  4. Benoit Pouliot (29) 2.16
  5. Nail Yakupov (22) 2.02
  6. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (22) 1.56
  7. Oscar Klefbom (22) 1.42

Helluva list. Jordan Eberle isn’t registering yet (his goal was on the PP) and of course Leon can’t stay at 4.35/60 forever. However, Connor McDavid will be back at some point and that should help Yakupov again. Edmonton plays tomorrow night and they badly need 5×5 scoring.

It looks like Todd McLellan is about to reward Teddy Purcell for his fine recent performances with a sustained trip up the depth chart. That’s some prime real estate for the veteran and well earned. Leon and Hall are performing magic tricks most nights and Purcell has really good possession abilities and passing skills. I like the bet, looked good on the weekend.

Nuge is only 1.56 at 5×5 but back to his witchcraft on the 5×4 (5.64/60) so maybe we’ll see a spike at evens as they bring back the top line from a year ago. Sometimes revivals turn out, others not, but Eberle did seem to have a little more jump on the weekend to my eye.

Nail gets Letestu and Hendricks, and at first blush that might seem like a tough hand to play. That said, I like the Purcell bet and Nail hasn’t been driving the ball like he was earlier in the campaign. Hey, I also understand McDavid is missing, but Nail can do some things all by his lonesome and this might get him started. Letesu is not without skill, you know.

LARIONOV LIKES MCLELLAN’S STYLE

• Igor Larionov: “Todd is a different breed, a different coach, and he’s the guy for Nail. He knows what to expect, how to push the buttons to get him going. It looks like they have a nice bit of understanding how to get the best out of Nail. Watching the games now you can see he’s matured, he’s calm, making good decisions, putting up points. His heart was always there and he’s playing 100 percent every night.” Source

McLellan appears to be one of those guys who gets along with everyone—boring!—but very effective and we should be thankful for quotes like this one. SO many of the quotes over the last few seasons—Quinn’s Barbara Ann Scott shot at Lubo, MacT’s if you have to ask the question—showed players and management at cross purposes. It is such a pleasure to see these quotes and imagine a team pulling in the same direction.

LANDER

Anton Lander is looking like a guy “in the mix” for a seat in the pressbox. Those two penalties the other night in the third period are probably going to bite him in the ass, perhaps tomorrow night. As more men get healthy this is going to be an issue for the Swede. Anders Nilsson will start.

The top two pairings look like they’ll remain, I like both of them. I expect we’ll see Davidson—Gryba as the third pairing (betting against the big man now seems unreasonable) and I think we could see Griffin Reinhart sent down tomorrow (if they activate Schultz) or the next day. Don’t bet the house though, they could surprise with the demotion (Nurse, Davidson, Lander) or make a deal.

CONVERSATION

I got an email today in regard to Griffin Reinhart, asking if I thought Darnell Nurse had passed him on the depth chart. It’s a tricky question, because of course he has, and yet one can never be sure. When Peter Chiarelli acquired Griffin Reinhart in the summer, he was fairly vehement about the young man being read for the NHL.

• Peter Chiarelli (on his believing Griffin Reinhart being an NHL defenseman right now): “That’s fair. There’s a little bit of lead time that he has to get up and running. He has to make our team. We’ve got 8 or 9 D who are challenging. I believe he is, yeah. What I saw from him in the Memorial Cup. I know his year last year wasn’t great and there’s reasons behind that and that really is—not excuses—but there are reasons that explain it. But what I saw in the Memorial Cup is that you’ve got a player here who can dominate, that can lug the puck, and that can make plays. And for a bigger sized man, he can move well, and I would expect him to be in the top 4 at some point.”

That runs counter to what many Oilers fans thought about Reinhart at the time of the trade. In the Darnell Nurse RE during the summer, I wrote the following:

• Where does Nurse come in? I think he spends a little time in Bakersfield, but not bloody long. Honestly, I think Darnell Nurse might be in the top 4D by the end of next season. What he’s done so far tracks extremely well, he’s got a chance to be very good—I mean top pairing good. Source

Darnell Nurse is currently inside the top four now, well ahead of any reasonable bet. That Brad McPherson item comparing names like Alex Pietrangelo is looking like a wiser piece every day. And yet…..the Oilers may decide that Nurse is the guy to draw out. It could happen. Asking Nurse to play with Sekera is a risky play, whereas asking Griffin Reinhart to run on the third pairing is less of an item. When the club activates Justin Schultz, we’ll know. Based on actual on-ice performance, you cannot tell me with a straight face Darnell Nurse is the outside man on this roster.

And it’s been that way since summer.

Swear to God.

88 Responses to "WHO’S DRIVING YOUR PLANE?"

1. Pouzar says:

How in the interest of winning hockey games can they send Nurse down? Makes no sense.

2. Snowman says:

I found it almost impossible to imagine Nurse being sent down at the start of the year. Sending him down now… forget it.

The best players should play. Period.

3. zatch says:

Thoughts on rumours of Toby Enstrom being available? Is he the correct shot? I really wish they’d start calling them LD and RD like they do for wingers for rubes like me! Jets are looking for a top 6 F. Don’t know if there’s a fir there. Teddy P and a 2nd?

4. RexLibris says:

McLellan appears to be one of those guys who gets along with everyone—boring!

You’re right. This team needs more Bookjie!

You’re just dancing around the line “The Edmonton Oilers do things for reasons other than winning hockey games”

Tried to get it out of you yesterday, but no dice.

If Nurse goes down you might explode.

6. One-Timer says:

“…of course Leon can’t stay at 4.35/60 forever.”

Maybe that’s just his natural meat.
    Has anyone calculated his projected season totals yet? Somewhere in the Gretzky-Lemieux range?

7. Alpine says:

I don’t typically like comparables as they can muddy expectations of a player. But I like Alzner as a template for Reinhart. The former was a top 5 pick from the WHL who didn’t put up gaudy numbers there, and spent the better part of his first two pro seasons in Hershey. He’s been a reliable top 4 in WSH for a few years now.

I hope and believe that’s not a reach for Griff, and I think Chia’s expectation of him is similar. His summer verbal is something i can agree with, even if I wouldn’t have made the trade myself. PC’s right in that there’s reasons to explain the season he had in Bridgeport, where he wasn’t a PP fixture and did a lot of heavy lifting for them defensively. If the arrows were all positive on GR, he wouldn’t have been available.

8. Genjutsu says:

I think getting sent down would be good for Griff.

I hope they keep the top 4 intact and run a Davidson Shultz third pairing with the Yandle treatment.

Less 5×5 time should see a spike in his effectiveness 5×4.

9. Mr DeBakey says:

Alpine: But I like Alzner as a template for Reinhart. The former was a top 5 pick from the WHL who didn’t put up gaudy numbers there, and spent the better part of his first two pro seasons in Hershey.

Good one!
    Go put a star beside your name.

= = = = =

If Renhart is sent down, Chia’s presser will be a parser’s paradise.

10. verdad2.0 says:

How sending down Reinhart helps him is incomprehensible.
    How playing Gryba is justifiable can’t be rationalized.
    Playing Schultz in an NHL game is against the goal of actually winning the game.
    We all know these things.
    But Chiarelli willfully persists in doing things that only add up losses.

11. blainer says:

Reinhart has been saddled with Gryba. If he had been playing with a ten year vet with possession numbers he might be in a good spot.

Based on Visual he hasn’t looked too bad to me.. but his vollman and most of the other stats do not look good. And I am a believer in those..

I think a trip to minors is in his future. We have a player there. We do not need to screw him up if he is not ready. Play him with a vet or send him down as he does not need to clear waivers.

Remember Chia’s verbal.. The first ten games is different from the second ten etc.

DO NOT SEND NURSE DOWN.!!

One thing that should be established: You can believe Nurse is the better prospect while also believing Reinhart is going to be a good player. Edmonton has some nice blue, just not established yet.

13. Centre of attention says:

Chiarelli said to Nurse that when you come up, your here for good. The fact he’s playing in the top 4 means hes obviously gained the trust of his coach. To send him down would make a liar of Chiarelli and so far he’s been a man of his word.

I would like to hear the conversation between Chiarelli and McLellan regarding Nurses future. Chiarelli would have to pry Nurse out of Todds cold dead hands I bet.

To keep the guy who looks wobbly on 3rd pairing some nights [Reinhart] over the guy who is staring down the Getzlafs of the world on top pair[Nurse] is ridiculous.

I personally think Chiarelli finds a way to have both Griffin and Darnell playing every night. Gryba might get dumped to like Colorado for a 5th round pick or something, they need grit on the blue line right?

Upon return Schultz can play with Reinhart. I have a feeling that could be a pretty effective 3rd pair. With a slight O-zone push they could be making music instead of ruining Talbots career like Reinhart-Gryba are currently.

Darnell is plenty of Grit/60 on the back end for this team thank you very much. Oh whats that? Nurse can actually play hockey too? There should be no pondering the obvious. Nurse stays, Reinhart stays, and Gryba goes. Its just logic.

14. blainer says:

verdad2.0:
    How sending down Reinhart helps him is incomprehensible.
    How playing Gryba is justifiable can’t be rationalized.
    Playing Schultz in anNHL game is against the goal of actually winning the game.
    We all know these things.
    But Chiarelli willfully persists in doing things that only add up losses.

Having Ference even in the press box hurts. Let alone on the ice..We have to make room for Davidson or lose him on waivers. He will be plucked and I’m not ready to give up on him.

Ference in that extra roster spot hurts. As a result We will have to play Gazdic more often and not carry a better player to rotate in and out.

I can live with Chia’s moves for now but not buying out Ference has really pissed me off.

15. Centre of attention says:

Agreed 100%

I think Reinhart is a great prospect, I also think that he needs a bit more work than Nurse does.

Draft position isn’t always the best way to judge how much work a prospect needs. Recent example; Nail Yakupov

16. sliderule says:

I actually think Reinhart has played better than Nurse.

He is stronger in puck battles and has played smarter

That’s just my old eyes and all you young folks have much more wisdom than me.

I do like them both and feel they will both be part of oilers future.

17. Frank the dog says:

Pouzar:

Front loading the team for 2016

18. ashley says:

I don’t think it there was ever a doubt that Nurse was the better prospect at the beginning of the year. However, it was felt by many (including me) that Reinhart was more ready because of pro experience.

I don’t think anything has really changed. The samples are too small. Has either of them played 10 games yet? Has Reinhart been paired with anyone who can move the puck?

That said, after attending the game in Calgary where CMD put on a show, I pulled back some of my enthusiasm for Reinhart. There are some nicks there not typical of a top 5 draft pick, but then again, his draft was not a quality crop.

I thought this trade was great value at the draft, but I have moved closer to LT’s opinion since watching him play. It might turn out even, but I am becoming suspicious that we may have overpaid. Scouting should have flagged him for footspeed issues, but we know from the previous regime that pro scouting was not their strong point (cough, R. Whitney, cough, cough). Chia inherited this and was at the mercy of someone else’s rig. If the scouts knew him better from his AHL work, they could have given the GM a better idea of trade value.

Still, they are both very valuable, but Nurse certainly has always had the higher ceiling. I’m still not sure he’s ready either, but the Oilers don’t have a lot of options.

They will both play a significant role on this team for years to come. Nurse is looking like he could approach Kevin Lowe value. Reinhart perhaps more Charlie Huddy or Randy Gregg-ish.

19. Frank the dog says:

One-Timer:
    “…of course Leon can’t stay at 4.35/60 forever.”

Maybe that’s just his natural meat.
    Has anyone calculated his projected season totals yet?Somewhere in the Gretzky-Lemieux range?

Leon reminds me of Big Ben Roethlisberger of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Came out the gate the least of the 3 star QB’s that year and was the first to win a SB. IIRC!

20. blainer says:

sliderule:
    I actually think Reinhart has played better than Nurse.

He is stronger in puck battles and has played smarter

That’s just my old eyes and all you young folks have much more wisdom than me.

I do like them both and feel they will both be part of oilers future.

The problem as I see it and I may be wrong but Reinhart and Nurse can both be sent down without waivers.

Nurse has to have outplayed Reinhart as he is playing higher in the lineup and against much harder competition. Reinhart has not been doing this.

The way I see it is Tmac doesn’t think Griff can handle it or he would have at least tried him there.
    I am a big believer in Griff and think he will pan out long term.

One of them is heading down. At this point it’s Griff. But for Ference’s roster spot they could keep both and have him Davidson and Gryba compete for that number six spot.

21. Alpine says:

Dumping Ference via trade or buyout gets much easier after this year. Buying him out last summer means he’s still on the cap post McDavid ELC.

22. G Money says:

Opinions and thoughts please!

Trying out a new visualization for WOWY.

See theassistantcaptainandrewference:

The visual shows each of Ference’s significant C & D partners this season. The location of the name shows where they are on the chart without tacaf. The arrow and dot show where they are with theassistant.

In other words, it is visually trying to show the ‘effect’ that tacaf has on his various colleagues.

Useful? Not useful? Interesting? Stupid? Awesome? The worst thing ever? Somebody else already does that you fool! [links please if the latter]

(feel free to use your own adjectives and phrases)

Thanks!

23. Frank the dog says:

blainer: Having Ference even in the press box hurts.Let alone on the ice..We have to make room for Davidson or lose him on waivers. He will be plucked and I’m not ready to give up on him.

Ference in that extra roster spot hurts.As a result We willhave to play Gazdic more often and not carry a better player to rotate in and out.

I can live with Chia’s moves for nowbut not buying out Ference has really pissed me off.

24. SK Oiler Fan says:

Pump and dump Teddy. I doubt he plays like this for tge rest of his contract. For once the Oilers can sell high. Teddy and Jultz for Enstrom? Haven’t looked at the contracts to see if that makes any sense

G Money:
    Opinions and thoughts please!

Trying out a new visualization for WOWY.

See theassistantcaptainandrewference:

The visual shows each of Ference’s significant C & D partners this season.The location of the name shows where they are on the chart without tacaf.The arrow and dot show where they are with theassistant.

Useful?Not useful?Interesting?Stupid?Awesome?The worst thing ever?Somebody else already does that you fool! [links please if the latter]

(feel free to use your own adjectives and phrases)

Thanks!

Very interesting. You’d run one for each blue? Or pairing?

26. blainer says:

Alpine:

That is the debate and I do get that. But man we are suffering a bit now for that decision. I guess in the end that move will be the correct decision as the goaltending hasn’t held up well anyway.

Can’t blame all those goaltending woes on ference alone based on the Few games he has played.

Better times are on their way with no cap issues.

27. Water Fire says:

So much in hockey comes down to skating. What part of Crosby or McDavid is skill and what part is that they can skate better?

McLellan mentioned Nurse’s skating allows him to recover. Reinhart isn’t able to do that, and that is a thing right now. Reinhart has a more mature game but Nurse can handle more, at the moment.
    Griffin needs to Han with The Farmer next summer and add that jump to his game

He has the chance to be a very good player but has to get the major weakness out of his game to get there sooner

28. JDï™ says:

20. Same question as above to Edmonton’s Leon Draisaitl, with 13 points in eight games since his recall. “Last year, my third game was against the Kings, and by far it was my toughest. I don’t think I touched the puck once,” he laughed during a phone conversation Monday. “To be honest with you, it showed me what the NHL was really like.” Draisaitl was minus-3 that night, a stark contrast to last weekend, when he had two points as Los Angeles beat the Oilers 4-3. He looks like a totally different player, saying he tried some new workout routines in the Czech Republic with a trainer named Marian Voda. “At the beginning, there were some things I couldn’t do at all.” Like what? “The Bosu Ball. I was struggling with the co-ordination, but it became naturally easier and easier. It helped me a lot. I can just feel it on the ice now…a million times stronger, not as tired as last year, where I was falling off by the third period.”

21. Apparently, Draisaitl had somewhat of an epic meeting when told he was going to AHL Bakersfield at the start of the season. He let the Oilers know how upset he was, but wouldn’t specifically go into what was said. “I was really disappointed…being the last guy cut was hard for me to take,” he admitted. “It took about a week to get over that and it showed in the way I played. Then you think, ‘This might be good for me, working on weaknesses.’ My mind changed.” By the way, Leon, are you a centre or a winger? “I don’t really know,” he laughed. “I say I like to be a versatile player.” Good interview.

29. blainer says:

Frank the dog: Ference keeps Katz happy by keeping us out of the playoffs. If wee get too close, play Ference, and he’ll pull you a place or two back away from giving Rexall a year end bonus.

LoL..Indeed.

30. Ryan says:

Speaking of Mclellan, with quotes like this stolen from COH, I can’t imagine a guy better suited for this team.

‘”‘We have confidence in both of them,’ said head coach Todd McLellan on Tuesday, putting the best spin possible on the situation. ‘We’re trying to develop two goaltenders that are figuring their way out and trying to establish themselves as starters in the league… It will continue to be our job to develop both, to get them both confident and get them playing.'”

Music Allan?

31. blainer says:

Water Fire:

Griffin needs to Han with The Farmer next summer and add that jump to his game

Ya he needs to power up his legs.. That is where he should spend most of his off season training.

32. leadfarmer says:

I don’t get the refereeing in this league. Hornquist bumps into Dubnyk who then goes down to make a save. Hornquist starts digging under Dubnyk to the point were he actually moves him several inches while the puck is no where near the net. Dubnyk can’t get up cause he’s being pushed to the side. Malkin puts it in from the high slot. Play is challenged and they rule it a goal. WTF. You can’t disallow a goal in one game for a small bump on the goalie but then let this goal stay.

33. jp says:

verdad2.0:
    How sending down Reinhart helps him is incomprehensible.
    How playing Gryba is justifiable can’t be rationalized.
    Playing Schultz in anNHL game is against the goal of actually winning the game.
    We all know these things.
    But Chiarelli willfully persists in doing things that only add up losses.

Hahahahaha.

34. Pouzar says:

So Reinhart goes down when Schultz comes back correct?
    And what’s wrong with that?

Sorry to those who think Reinhart has outplayed Nurse…but yer like dead wrong and stuff. /HFOil

35. leadfarmer says:

And future Oiler Spurgeon with a rocket slapshot in the top corner.

36. leadfarmer says:

Pouzar:
    So Reinhart goes down when Schultz comes back correct?
    And what’s wrong with that?

37. Pouzar says:

leadfarmer: It is hard to compare the two since Reinhart is glued to Gryba and got injured while Nurse is getting better partners but Nurse seems to be doing better.

You can stick Nurse with MABs grandmother and he’s coming out with that pick.

How did I do there?

38. Pouzar says:

Ryan:

‘”‘We have confidence in both of them,’ said head coach Todd McLellan on Tuesday, putting the best spin possible on the situation. ‘We’re trying to develop two goaltenders that are figuring their way out and trying to establish themselves as starters in the league… It will continue to be our job to develop both, to get them both confident and get them playing.’”

Music Allan?

hmmmmm

Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis 5h5 hours ago
    Cam Talbot, first nine games after Henrik Lundqvist was injured last year: 0.895 save percentage.
    Crazily, his record was 6-1-2.

39. leadfarmer says:

Pouzar: You can stick Nurse with MABs grandmother and he’s coming out with that pick.

How did I do there?

Well I heard she’s not a big believer of up the boards and out 🙂

But in all seriousness I would use him as a trade chip to upgrade the defense if that option becomes available. And it’s nothing against the player. I repeat its nothing against the player. We just can’t be trying to develop this many defensemen especially in Macdavids ELC, Taylor Halls I’m getting sick of this sh!t window. If no trade is there I wouldn’t mind if we started next year with Barrie or Spurgeon as upgrades on Schultz and Goligoski as overall upgrade. Hey a guy can dream.

40. Centre of attention says:

How did I do there?

Although I agree Nurse has out played Reinhart slightly, Nurse is not bullet proof. He has made some costly mistakes. Rookie mistakes. Likewise, Reinharts mistakes can be classified as rookie mistakes.

I also think Lead Farmer had a good point with the “being tied to Gryba” thing. I bet if Nurse was stuck on third pair with a Gryba type he might be exposed to more “saw him bad” moments and his fancy stats might look a bit more like Reinharts.

Nurse also has clearly had the benefit of having either Klefbom or Sekera as his partner, I wonder how Reinhart would look with a guy who can skate and complement his play style [Schultz]

I’m not saying your completely wrong in your analysis of Nurse vs Reinhart, just tone it down a notch with the “Nurse is invincible and untouchable”

Its going to be awesome to look back at the 200 game mark for both players and compare and contrast. Right now, especially with the current circumstances, its both unfair and unwise to read to much into comparisons of both players.

Ones players an Apple, the other ones an orange. Like Todd said you need a few of both to create an effective lineup.

41. Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons says:

G Money,

I like the visual arrows.Gives an immediate sense of where ppl are headed with Ferrence. McDavid showing the only improvement in corsi when in the Candy quad.

I really like that you’ve done it with Cs included. I like to think of the D operating mostly as a three man unit. The C is relied upon heavily for D zone coverage.

I’m often asking myself whether the coach tries to match Cs with certain D.

42. Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons says:

G Money,

Also, i’m unsure about the use of corsi with D. Could your danger adjusted fenwick replace corsi in this graphic?

43. Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons says:

Sending Nurse down would be a huge mistake. As would sending Reinhart down. Not sure what that leaves for options given Davidson’s situation. But i don’t think Nurse or Reinhart gain anything going to Bakersfield.

While I give the nod to Nurse over Reinhart, I think it’s worth pointing out just how different they are and, as a fan, how much easier it is to cheer for Nurse and the excitement he brings to the game. I think a lot of what Reinhart does goes unnoticed (not to mention his pairing) and his cautious/conservative approach doesn’t have the same allure as Nurse’s aggressive although sometimes more chaotic(by eye) approach.

44. jp says:

G Money,

Interesting and somewhat useful (didn’t want to use my own adjectives).

45. JDï™ says:

Sure, send Nurse down – but have Ference tell him.

46. hags9k says:

Does anyone have news or reports on Musil’s play this year?

I still have a candle lit.

G Money:
    Opinions and thoughts please!

Trying out a new visualization for WOWY.

See theassistantcaptainandrewference:

(feel free to use your own adjectives and phrases)

Thanks!

Do you follow Micha McCurdy on twitter? @ineffectivemath

He does visualizations a lot like these.

Great site, great follow, very sharp guy.

hags9k:
    Does anyone have news or reports on Musil’s play this year?

I still have a candle lit.

49. Pouzar says:

JDï™:
    Sure, send Nurse down – but have Ference tell him.

That’s Gold Jerry! GOLD!

50. Woogie63 says:

Goalies thought to be available this summer, ranked by save%

Enroth .979
    Raanta. .955
    Neuvirth .939
    Jones. .923
    Lehner. .917. Only 1 game
    Markstom. .914
    Niemi .907
    Talbot. .890
    Lack. .861

Thank goodness we did not place a bet on Lack !

51. G Money says:

Woogie63,

Neuvirth was my preferred affordable ‘steady Eddy’ partner for Talbot.

These are my four goaltending bets with AsiaOil, based on my goalie work during the summer:

a. that within 2 years (end of 2016-2017 season), Scrivens is back to being an above average to elite NHL goalie (call it .917 or above all sits, or .922 EV, adj sv%)
    b. that within 2 years (end of 2016-2017 season), Cam Talbot is an elite NHL goalie (.920 AS and .925 EV, adj)
    c. that by end of next season (2015-2016), Jhonas Enroth is established as a legitimate NHL starter (similar to Scrivens’ projected numbers)
    d. that by end of next season (2015-2016), Karri Ramo is established as a backup and not a starter (.915 or lower all sits)

Ramo is sitting at .898 so far this season.

Now if only Scrivens coulld scratch his way out of whatever disastrous funk he’s worked himself into …

52. JDï™ says:

G Money: Now if only Scrivens…

How’s Jenny doing for the Riveters? Did you specify which Scrivens?

53. G Money says:

Woodguy,

I do follow him. Good guy – shared his Score Adjusted Corsi formulas with me at the drop of a hat. Fellow Dalhousie alumnus too!

I’ve seen those charts of his, but not sure I like them much. They’re too busy (trying to do too much I think), and also I’m not sure what they say since they usually show something like CF vs CA.

I’m trying specifically to capture WOWY information, ZS vs CF% (or other shot metric), just like you’d pull out of the table at stats.hockeyanalysis.com. But it seems to me that a visual representation of all the (key) table rows showing distinct directional information will be more helpful than the table itself.

So the theory goes, anyway.

54. G Money says:

Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons,

Yes, definitely going to add DFF% when I get it going for seasonal numbers instead of just by game. (Damn rink bias adjustment)

Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons,

Yeah, the results surprised me a bit. I kind of assumed they’d all be pointing down and left. They are mostly negative, but just not quite as outright negative as I thought they would be.

55. Ryan says:

G Money:
    Woogie63,

Oh no you didn’t just remind me of our Scrivens discussions from this past summer my Python coding friend. 🙂

I guess technically I’ve never been successful in getting you to actually make a wager with me, but…

Scrivens and Lander are combining to make me look awfully prescient.

56. G Money says:

JDï™: How’s Jenny doing for the Riveters? Did you specify which Scrivens?

LOL, good point! I guess I did say NHL goalie. Then again, as of today, I’d bet that Jenny might have a better shot of making the NHL than poor old Ben.

57. G Money says:

Ryan,

Perhaps. Notice that my bet is a two season bet. When you get crushed the way Ben did – as you yourself wisely pointed out, most goalies in that kind of starters dip don’t get more than 30 or 40 games before they break for the season, while Ben, being a member of the stellar Oiler organization we love so much gets trotted out for 50+ – I’m not sure one season is enough to recover from that kind of shelling.

58. Pouzar says:

G Money: Dalhousie

You are dead to me.

59. G Money says:

Pouzar,

If it helps, I also have degrees from the U of A and Athabasca.

(out of curiousity, what would cause one to develop a hatred of Dal and/or Halifax? Did you go to SMU or Acadia or something?)

60. G Money says:

At the moment, the aforementioned Micah McCurdy is tweeting out kernel density plots in various shades of fleshy pink, maximizing their suggestiveness.

61. Pouzar says:

G Money:
    Pouzar,

If it helps, I also have degrees from the U of A and Athabasca.

(out of curiousity, what would cause one to develop a hatred of Dal and/or Halifax?Did you go to SMU or Acadia or something?)

SMU baby!!!!!!!

21st Floor Loyola!

We’ll go with UofA alumnus for you!

62. G Money says:

Pouzar,

Phew! That was close!

63. JDï™ says:

G Money,

I once won a bet for two grand. Received pesos. My Mom. Bless her.

G Money:

Perv.

Ethan Bear 1-1-2, now 20GP, 5-17-22.

G: That’s a fabulous green. I ran out of LSD in the 70s but that’s trippy!

66. böök¡je says:

Whoa! Hold on there buddy, this is the internet. There is no room for nuance! Reinhart is either Hitler or Jesus, that’s just how things work here.

67. JDï™ says:

böök¡je,

You mean that Reinhart could be Time Magazine’s man of the year?

68. Pouzar says:

Ethan Bear 1-1-2, now 20GP, 5-17-22.

G: That’s a fabulous green. I ran out of LSD in the 70s but that’s trippy!

How does this rate for his age in this league as a D-Man?
    What kinda company is this kid keeping at around a PPG?

69. JDï™ says:

Pouzar: What kinda company is this kid keeping at around a PPG?

He’s better than your average Bear.

70. jp says:

JDï™:
    böök¡je,

You mean that Reinhart could be Time Magazine’s man of the year?

Haha, nice.

71. Pouzar says:

JDï™: He’s better than your average Bear.

Barely?

72. LadiesloveSmid says:

Pouzar: How does this rate for his age in this league as a D-Man?
    What kinda company is this kid keeping at around a PPG?

Jones is tied 11th.

73. Pouzar says:

LadiesloveSmid: He’s tied for WHL lead among Dmen with Sanheim, Hicketts, and Andrew Nielsen (TOR pick with a hot start).

Jones is tied 11th.

Thx….we need to hit on some of these picks.

74. dustrock says:

Pouzar: hmmmmm

Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis5h5 hours ago
    Crazily, his record was 6-1-2.

Yeah, and after this, he went on an absolute tear once he got comfortable as the starter. Makes me feel a lot better about him.

Pouzar: hmmmmm

Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis5h5 hours ago
    Crazily, his record was 6-1-2.

75. hags9k says:

Lowetide: Easily the most effective defender down there, I have Zerr on the show tomorrow so will check again, though.

Thanks LT, good to hear, it will be interesting to see if he gets another shot this year. Seems to be the forgotten man this year, and I always thought there would be a player there, despite the controversial draft number for player type.

76. jp says:

Jones is tied 11th.

He’s also the youngest of the top scorers.

Nielsen is a 2015 pick too, but he’s 6 months older than Bear.

I only looked at the guys with at least 20 points (top 7 D scorers), but all aside from Nielsen are at least a year older.

Not bad at all.

77. jp says:

One-Timer:
    “…of course Leon can’t stay at 4.35/60 forever.”

Maybe that’s just his natural meat.

72-45-72-117

Maybe NYR era Gretzky.

Though that would have led the league in any of the last 8 yrs. Too bad he’s no longer Calder eligible.

78. spoiler says:

G Money:

Hey, my KDE plots are all in a virtuous green!

Dunno, man… looks like the green of ENVY to me.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour!*

*feminist LGBT Old Testament.

*or their laptop but that shouldn’t need to be said in polite company

79. Younger Oil says:

Don’t know if anyone has mentioned this, but after tonight the Oilers are alone for DFL.

I think it’s time to start the draft talk.

80. "Steve Smith" says:

Alpine:
    Dumping Ference via trade or buyout gets much easier after this year.

Why, does his no-movement clause expire?

81. Dr. Taboggan says:

“Steve Smith”,

****Assuming Ference agrees to a trade he will have one less year on his contract. As far as buyouts go the duration is cut in half this summer. When the Oilers buy him out next summer it will only be 2 years rather than the 4 this past summer.

82. Frank the dog says:

Younger Oil:

I think it’s time to start the draft talk.

If my assumption is correct, Chia will trade the pick with F prospects for an emerging D.

83. leadfarmer says:

Pouzar: Barely?

We will have to ask our resident bear, Ricky, for confirmation.

84. JDï™ says:

Younger Oil:

I think it’s time to start the draft talk.

I’ll start the bidding low – Miller Genuine Draft.

85. PhrankLee says:

I still cannot see a way around having to rotate one of the young D in and out until Andrew Ference decides what to do. This is the tricky and hobbling effect of the NMC/NTC.

In fairness to Ference he has a contract in hand. ie: Fuck you, pay me.

He has negotiated an NHL ratified contract that lets him call all the shots until the day he retires. He has already worked with the new management not making a stink about his playing time. He’s a classy guy, Edmonton. I’m so glad he hasn’t made it a distraction.

Edmonton is lucky compared with other teams in terms of how many of these clauses some teams have. San Jose is a good example.