KHAIRA TO THE SHOW!

The Edmonton Oilers called up Jujhar Khaira to the NHL today, a fabulous moment for the young prospect

One of my favorite things about being a fan is watching a prospect develop and finally get to the NHL. I imagine his entire family (I believe his Dad is a trucker) fist pumping this afternoon and hugs all around. Making the NHL is a dream most Canadians have when they are kids but it’s a rare, rare thing. Good for Jujhar Khaira, he earned the chance. A quick look back on his progress as we followed it on this blog:

• Red Line before the draft: We believe this kid could be the biggest/best sleeper of the entire draft. Prince George is so far off the beaten path teams don’t even travel there for WHL games, much less BCHL contests, so he gets zero exposure. But this kid is big, mean, aggressive, nasty, and guess what… he can score too. Does the dirty work in the corners, bangs bodies and wins battles, and loves to initiate heavy contact. Powerful stride with great balance and gets leverage on his hits. Has surprisingly soft hands and puck skills with playmaking ability. Creates lots of space for smaller teammates and makes everyone braver. Very raw defensively.
  • Todd Nelson: “He thinks the game really well on the ice and when you couple that with the size and skill he has, it’s going to be a very bright future for him. He’s an intelligent guy. He knows what he has to do to get better and he works hard at it. With his size and maturity and the way he approaches the game, who knows where his top level is, but I think the future is looking really positive for him.”
  • Todd Nelson: “We’ve seen flashes of what JJ can be. He just needs time to mature. We’re trying to mould JJ into a two-way centreman, somebody who can kill penalties, late in games trying to preserve a game. He has the size. He just needs experience.” Source
  • Lowetide, April 2015: Another big man, the sense I got out of training camp is that Khaira (and Bogdan Yakimov) had stepped ahead of some others in the organization based on management’s estimation. Khaira didn’t deliver much offense in OKC (51GP, 4-6-10) and his boxcars are a comparable for Moroz and Travis Ewanyk—the job Khaira will be applying for in the NHL (should be make it) will need a far better bat than the one he’s showing so far in his pro career. Source

That last part is the question with this player and there are signs of progress. Overall he’s 16GP, 3-4-7 and that’s good production compared to a year ago (51GP, 4-6-10) but I always like to see what’s shaking at even strength. Why? Unlikely Khaira plays 5×4, although he has been used as a screen on the power play but that would seem to be a distant bell. Let’s look at Khaira at even strength:

• Jujhar Khaira 2014-15 AHL: 51GP 4-6-10 .196 points-per-game
  • Jujhar Khaira 2015-16 AHL: 16GP, 3-3-6 .375 points-per-game

I feel Bogdan Yakimov is the more substantial prospect, his EV numbers last season were better:

• Bogdan Yakimov 2014-15 AHL: 57GP, 9-14-23 .404 points-per-game
  • Bogdan Yakimov 2015-16 AHL: 12GP, 2-2-4 .333 points-per-game

but this season has him injured again (and knee again) so Khaira may end up being the more successful pro.

• Jim Matheson: Centre Bogdan Yakimov re-injured the same knee he had surgery on last season, too, and he’s out as well. The knee started to bother him after the season started. “We’ll see in a couple of weeks where he’s at and we’ll go from there,” said (Bakersfield coach Gerry) Fleming. Source

The estimate on Nail Yakupov is 2-4 weeks, but as one might imagine that’s a prelim and this is an active story

I’ll have more on Nail, the new lines and Cam Talbot tomorrow morning on the GD post. Also, this:

I’m betting even earlier. Late December, early January return is my guess. Interesting timing for this story, coming the day after a discouraging loss and a devastating injury to a former No. 1 overall pick. Love those veteran GMs! More tomorrow morning.

76 Responses to "KHAIRA TO THE SHOW!"

1. blainer says:

For those of us who have been watching the Barons games JJ has just been fantastic. He is a big body who wins faceoffs and most importantly he has been driving the net. Something we see very rarely from any of the bottom six.

I honestly would not be surprised if he stays.

Pouzar really likes this guy too but he’s on break til the oilers win three in a row. Any over under on that before we hear from Pouzar again. I say he’s back posting by the latest Saturday !!

Tried that myself once and just had to get my opinion back out there.

Can’t wait to see how Khaira pefroms..

Awesome news about CMD.

2. RexLibris says:

I’d figured Jan 8th to 14th was McDavid’s return.

Based on my extensive experience of pulling thoughts out of my keister.

Nice to see Khaira get the call. Suspect McLellan moves him around the bottom six a little.

How he handles a team like Detroit, if he plays that game, will prove very telling about his ability to “think the game” as has been mentioned.

3. RexLibris says:

blainer:
    For those of who have been watching the Barons games JJ has just been fantastic. He is a big body who wins faceoffs and most importantly he has been driving the net. Something we see very rarely from any of the bottom six.

I honestly would not be surprised if he stays.

Pouzar really likes this guy too but he’s on break til the oilers win three in a row. Any over under on that before we hear from Pouzar again. I say he back posting at the latest Saturday !!

Tried that myself once and just had to get my opinion back out there.

Can’t wait to see how Khaira pefroms..

Thanks for the information. Boxcars are all many of us ever see until these kids get the call.

4. One-Timer says:

Pouzar will consider the JJ call-up to be a “successful transaction” (hey, this is the Oilers), and be back on here tomorrow night. He just needs a little breather.

5. McSorley33 says:

For me, it will be critical to see if JJ can keep up to the pace of NHL game.

This season may well be about seeing what – exactly – we have down in Cali.

Musil, Simpson, etc…..minor auditions.

Simpson turns 23 in Feb. Musil turns 23 in April.

My guy is Mr. Winquist….only played 8 games for Condors, but 3rd in scoring.

Granted, I hear skating is an issue

6. CrazyCoach says:

Glad to see that he got the call.

And this coming from Prince George, where actual WHL teams do play.

Meanwhile, today it looks like Tony Romo re-broke his collarbone, 2nd game back after returning at the earliest possible date.

Just forget about rushing McDavid back. Please, not till after the All-Star break. February 1 at the earliest.

The only dumb thing that can be done with a cleanly broken collarbone is coming back too soon, and re-breaking it again. McDavid is a target.

The Oilers have a long break before the All-Star break. Just forget about bringing him back until after it.

godot10:

9. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Lowetide: Well, he came back too soon and said he was willing to risk it. No damn way the Oilers do that with McDavid.

This. But the Romo thing should be helpful to the Oilers. Such a public scenario they will likely err on the side of caution.

It’s all about building for next year anyway.

10. tcho says:

I’m really happy for Khaira. I’ve always been rooting for him, and a fresh dose of enthusiasm might be good for the whole team.

11. frjohnk says:

godot10:

Romo is 35

McDavid is 18.

Kids can heal almost twice as fast as an adult. McDavid will heal faster because he is younger

Romo did not have surgery.

McDavid did.

So not exactly the same situation, nevermind that we don’t know what kind of break each had.

With that said, I’m with you that there is no reason to bring him back early.

After the allstar break would be a good time line to come back. That would be 3 months.

Unless we are in the playoff ra…………yeah, after allstar break would be good.

12. cadooo says:

CrazyCoach,

What’s your opinion on Josh Anderson from the Cougars. Draft eligible D 6’3″ 210. Saw him good in the preseason against the Rockets.

13. pocession charge says:

godot10:

I think we should trust his doctor’s advice. When he’s ready, let him play. Don’t set a fixed date.

14. Dicky94 says:

One-Timer,

I’m sure he is creeping the sight. Sounds like he’s pretty busy hitting the books anyways. Personally I think he is slowly becoming a Jets fan. It was only a matter of time. Lol.

15. frjohnk says:

Kane would be a better comparable to McDavid than Romo

Kane is younger and like McDavid had surgery.

Kane was out 7 weeks.

As much as I would love to see McDavid play at the end December, I don’t think there is any reason to rush him back.

16. flyfish1168 says:

I believe Curtis Hamilton another Oiler prospect had a broken Clavicle. Not sure if he re-broke the same one. Lets make sure Connor is well healed. A little precaution won’t hurt anyone. We and the league needs him.

17. lynn says:

tcho:

I agree with you. Jujhar is my favourite prospect. He has a good appreciation of what is before him. He is talented, raw, and humble, willing to work hard. He could be a minor player on the Oilers that helps other players shine.

18. JDï™ says:

I hope JJ’s debut is DY-NO-MITE!

19. lynn says:

I’d rather have Khaira than Gazdic on the roster.

20. Picturesque says:

Hoping he plays tomorrow night! Khaira will be only the 3rd person of Indo-Canadian descent to play in the NHL. Awesome accomplishment!

21. GCW_69 says:

Meanwhile:

Mathew Barzal, C, Seattle Thunderbirds
    Acquired: 1st round (16th overall), 2015

Barzal is in the midst of a breakout season, showing why he was such a highly-touted prospect at last June’s draft. He is one of the WHL’s leading scorers with 30 points in 17 games. The skilled center has racked up the assists as he is amongst the top in the league with 25 helpers. He has been particularly dominant at times, registering five assists in a game versus the Brandon Wheat Kings on October 27th.

Barzal skated for both games of the CHL Canada Russia Series for Team WHL. They won both games handily by scores of 7-3 and 4-2. Barzal had an assist in each game. He was invited to Team Canada’s development camp this summer and will be in the mix for a roster spot come December.

Barzal was impressive in preseason and has the Islanders brass excited for the future. The British Columbia native projects as a top-six forward with elite vision and dynamic scoring ability. He will also be a huge asset on the powerplay. Barzal still has another year in the WHL after this year before he is eligible for the AHL.

22. Stelio Kontos says:

GCW_69,

Can live with missing a guy who can’t score goals. There are other guys at that spot I miss more i.e. Svechnikov.

23. Melman says:

frjohnk,

Actually there is a very good reason – I have tickets for Boxing Day in Van. Come on Santa!!

24. JDï™ says:

GCW_69: Barzal is in the midst of a breakout season

But Matthews will make him redundant.

25. McSorley33 says:

JDï™,

Awesome….well done.

26. Ryan says:

GCW_69:
    Meanwhile:

Mathew Barzal, C, Seattle Thunderbirds
    Acquired: 1st round (16th overall), 2015

Another notch in the Reinhart trade….

With my dying breath, I’ll say that this trade had obc prints all over it.

Fortunately, Reinhart has mobility issues and bottom pairing dman ceiling written all over him.

Oh, wait…

27. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: No damn way the Oilers do that with McDavid.

Which “Oilers” are we talking about?

I kid, obviously, but the previous regime would have put a sock in his shoulder pads, dressed Gazdic on the wing and told Connor to hit the ice.

28. PeOiler says:

Stelio Kontos,
    I’ve watched Svechnikov a couple of games now and he sure is impressive. #SawHimGood

29. McSorley33 says:

GCW_69,

2015-Number 34 overall – D -Travis Dermott – Erie Otters near point a game.

30. lynn says:

Picturesque:
    Hoping he plays tomorrow night! Khaira will be only the 3rd person of Indo-Canadian descent to play in the NHL.Awesome accomplishment!

I’m sure his family and friends are ecstatic. Jujhar has earned his promotion. There may be other hurdles, but Jujhar has a good chance to be a regular NHLer.

31. McSorley33 says:

Barzal was only -Half – the price for paid for Griff….,

32. jp says:

Picturesque:

Do you know who the others are?

33. jp says:

Cool that JJ gets the call. There’s a lot to like about this player. The numbers don’t show it, but there’s a chance this guy sticks around. Definitely adding to the “heavy”. Hope he can keep up, and looking forward to seeing him vs Det.

34. Bank Shot says:

McSorley33:
    Barzal was only -Half – the price for paid for Griff….,

Get back to me when Barzal scores 20 goals in a junior season.

Hopefully Jujhar has worked awfully hard on his skating. He looked too slow for the NHL last I saw him. With any luck he could be a cheap end of the roster guy that gets in people’s faces, PKs, and puts up 5-10 points.

35. Picturesque says:

jp: Do you know who the others are?

I do believe (but could be wrong) that the first was Robin Bawa, and the other is Manny Malholtra. I came across this interesting blog entry here – http://hockeylandcanada.com/2013/12/29/minority-report-looking-for-an-nhleast-indian-breakthrough/ …I don’t think that Canucks prospect has played in the bigs yet.

36. cadooo says:

GCW_69,

I was at the 7-3 CHL vs Russia game. I wasn’t blown away by Barzal. He definitely skates well. I think his high water mark is about Sam Gagner.

37. jp says:

Picturesque: I do believe (but could be wrong) that the first was Robin Bawa, and the other is Manny Malholtra.I came across this interesting blog entry here – http://hockeylandcanada.com/2013/12/29/minority-report-looking-for-an-nhleast-indian-breakthrough/ …I don’t think that Canucks prospect has played in the bigs yet.

Cool, thanks.

I had no idea Malhotra was of Indian decent.

Seems like just a matter of time there will be more in the NHL. According to Wiki, Indo-Canadians are almost 4% of the population now, and continuing to rise.

38. unca miltie says:

All the best for JJ. Must say last night was pretty depressing game. This has been a looonnggg 10 years.
    Hoping for soon McDavid return, have dec 21 and Jan 12 tickets. Would like to see him once..

39. Caramel Obvious says:

McSorley33:
    Barzal was only -Half – the price for paid for Griff….,

A horrific trade the moment it happened on all the evidence at the time. That so many people here went to such lengths to try and rationalize it does not speak well for their judgement.

40. Centre of attention says:

Maybe Barzal will be so damn good Garth will feel bad for Chia and give us Hamonic.

Thats the way this world works right? Right?!

41. Bruce McCurdy says:

Caramel Obvious: The Reinhart trade will go down as a terrible trade even if neither of those guys pan out.

A horrific trade the moment it happened on all the evidence at the time.That so many people here went to such lengths to try and rationalize it does not speak well for their judgement.

42. Bruce McCurdy says:

McSorley33:
    Barzal was only -Half – the price for paid for Griff….,

so by your math #16 & #33 have equal value?

One thing I never see mentioned is the following: Defensemen like Reinhart hold their value very well. IF, and it may come to pass, the Oilers don’t find a role for him, he should deliver a handsome return.

44. Edmonton_fan says:

What I like the most about call-ups is the bonus paycheck for kids playing a sport they love.

Khaira was making $5,000+ last month. He can make $50,000 this week. I am happy for him…

45. Caramel Obvious says:

Like Luke Schenn the first time = van Riemsdyk or
    Luke Schenn the second time = untradeable

Now Reinhart doesn’t have Schenn’s contract, but he has already been traded once.

46. PunjabiOil says:

The Edmonton Oilers have stripped the joy out of the sport. I mean, you (nonchalantly) watch most of the games, read Lowetide and twitter daily and religiously, and keep tabs on the those trending up and down on the farm and junior – but when you don’t get elated or crushed after goals, it’s time.

In a sense, the Edmonton Oilers are like a bad marriage. Occasional glimmer of hope, reflective of, and harkens memories of better days in the past; alas, everytime you think the marriage will turn the corner, you’re receive an unhealthy dosage of reality – that your marriage is post-apex. No sir. You tied the knot 20 years ago, and for better or worse, you’re going to grind it out for the kids.

______________________________

* * *

Jujhar Khaira – as an Indo-Canadian (born in Canada, ethnic background Sikh-Punjabi) – It’s encouraging to see someone of a similar background not only make the NHL, but do so on your hometown team. Will be cheering him on.

Having that said, math never lies. I don’t have expectations for him higher than a 4th liner or press-box guy in the long run. The offense has been dry at every level he’s played on, and will limit his ability to be anything above that. With his size and reach, he can perhaps carve out a niche and replace a guy like Gazdic or in a best case scenario, Hendricks.

We wait.

47. Caramel Obvious says:

Bruce McCurdy: Glad to know yours is the only correct opinion on the matter. I consider myself duly chastised for not hating the deal on general principles the moment it was announced.

My favourite argument was that the Oilers got a deal because they didn’t have to pay for Reinhart’s development, thus turning the fact that he had not progressed as expected/hoped into a good thing.

PunjabiOil:
    The Edmonton Oilers have stripped the joy out of the sport.I mean, you (nonchalantly) watch most of the games, read Lowetide and twitter daily and religiously, and keep tabs on the those trending up and down on the farm and junior – but when you don’t get elated or crushed after goals, it’s time.

In a sense, the Edmonton Oilers are like a bad marriage.Occasional glimmer of hope, reflective of, and harkens memories of better days in the past; alas, every you think the marriage will turn the corner, you’re receive an unhealthy dosage of reality that your marriage is post-apex.No sir.You tied the knot 20 years ago, and for better or worse, you’re going to grind it out for the kids.

______________________________

* * *

Jujhar Khaira – as an Indo-Canadian (born in Canada, ethnic background Sikh-Punjabi) – It’s encouraging to see someone of a similar background not only make the NHL, but do so on your hometown team.Will be cheering him on.

Having that said, math never lies. I don’t have expectations for him higher than a 4th liner or press-box guy in the long run.The offense has been dry at every level he’s played on, and will limit his ability to be anything above that.With his size and reach, he can perhaps carve out a niche and replace a guy like Gazdic or in a best case scenario, Hendricks.

We wait.

The Hendricks comp seems reasonable.

Caramel Obvious: Like Luke Schenn the first time = van Riemsdyk or
    Luke Schenn the second time = untradeable

No real answer to your question. His value six months ago was substantial, I can’t imagine it has dropped much since then. Schenn had several years in Toronto (four, I believe) before the trade, so they aren’t a comp but I do get your point.

50. Yeti says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: It’s all about building for next year anyway.

This is the eternal truth of the Edmonton Oilers.

51. Bruce McCurdy says:

Caramel Obvious: Everything out of the Islanders, from within the team and from those who watched the team, said Reinhart’s stock had fallen, and yet we chose, and apparently are still choosing, to pretend that didn’t happen.

52. Yeti says:

Picturesque:

Does Mike Bishai not count? (alongside Malhotra and Bawa). He only played a handful of games for us but I remember the line brawl that ended up with Bishai fighting standing in the opposition’s bench.

Edit: MacT on Bishai “…As many years as I’ve been in the game, I’ve never seen a guy fighting standing up in the opposition’s bench…That’s like diving into somebody else’s foxhole.”

53. khildahl says:

Yeti,

Wow. I had completely forgotten about that.

Between Bishai in the Atlanta bench and Conklin jerseying their goalie, it was one of the most surreal things I’ve ever seen.

54. Yeti says:

khildahl,

Here’s the vid, just to relive strange times:
    I’m not a fan of fighting in the game at all (would ban it) but this is comedy.

55. PunjabiOil says:

Bishai wasn’t south asian.

Robin Bawa (61 games) and Manny Malhotra are pretty much it. Manny Malhotra is mixed (Father is East Indian, mother is French Canadian).

In fact, the Victoria Royals signed an Edmontonian indo-Canadian in August

Having all that said, it’s a homogenous society these days. For those born in Canada, the racial cliques are declining and becoming a thing of the past. Good to see.

56. Yeti says:

PunjabiOil: Bishai wasn’t south asian.

My bad. My memory is poor!

57. Zelepukin says:

McSorley33:
    For me, it will be critical to see if JJ can keep up to the pace of NHL game.

This season may well be about seeing what – exactly – we have down in Cali.

Musil, Simpson, etc…..minor auditions.

Simpson turns 23 in Feb. Musil turns 23 in April.

My guy is Mr. Winquist….only played 8 games for Condors, but 3rd in scoring.

Granted, I hear skating is an issue

I too love it when AHLers get called up, especially when they’ve been in the A for awhile. It really brings the internetz back to reality on the difference between the leagues.

The most obvious example was Jultz running the A at a record pace.Doing things we could only dream of. Holy shit this guy really is Norris worthy, he is amazing! Now he is a meme of bad decisions and lack of effort.

58. Bruce McCurdy says:

Yeti:
    khildahl,

Here’s the vid, just to relive strange times:
    I’m not a fan of fighting in the game at all (would ban it) but this is comedy.

The Thrashers had to finish the game with no goalie — only time I’ve ever seen that — & Oilers added salt to the wound with an empty netter to make it 5-1. The summary is an interesting one.

59. BONVIE says:

Bruce McCurdy: I saw the first 2 of his 3 years of post draft development in depth & was impressed. I did not see him play a game last year so had no opinion, other than to note reports he had the team made until the Boychuk & Leddy deals came down. Anyway there’s no reason for patience as he develops, your judgement has been cast so the issue is decided.

60. Yeti says:

BONVIE: Bruce as always speaking reason, shutting down all this nonsense talk by Caramel Obvious.

It’s not entirely nonsense. There are legitimate reasons to wonder if the Reinhert trade was (1) good value at the time, and (2) whether Reinhert is going to find his NHL feet. I felt happy with the trade in the summer, but it is worrying that Griff struggles to hold down the 6D position despite the presence of other rookies in the lineup. Optics aside, IMO it would be entirely justifiable to send him to the AHL when Schultz is reactivated, leaving Nurse and Davidson above him. This doesn’t mean that he’s the horrendous bust that some are projecting, simply that we have some cause to worry about where he will fit medium term. Of course, it would be preferable if such genuine concerns weren’t delivered quite so vociferously with all the charm of a rabid squirrel, but this is the internet.

61. PhrankLee says:

Caramel Obvious: Note to the world, when a prospect is behind on their development curve that is not a good thing.

Which is why we love Brandon Davidson so much..

I disagree that it was an overpay.

If you look at 16th and 33rd picks through history and compare them with 4th picks you get an idea of who is most likely to have a long productive career.

Suggesting GR is obviously a bottom pairing Dman and will not amount to anything more is nuts.

Barzal is good. But he is no world beater or up and coming genius. ON what line does he help the team? He wouldn’t make the squad until after McD eats up his elc. Chiarelli looking to create a new cluster. Also he does not fit the stated plan of the new management to….get ready for it……

Get bigger and stronger.

The perpetual tiny hockey player love in our fanbase is good. Weird but good. Dude we have so many 175 lb guys already.

I don’t want to zip around opposing teams. Dart in and out of the legs of monsters…

I want us to barge around the damned conference for a while.

62. GCW_69 says:

PhrankLee: Which is why we love Brandon Davidson so much..

I disagree that it was an overpay.

If you look at 16th and 33rd picks through history and compare them with 4th picks you get an idea ofwho is most likely to have a long productive career.

Barzal is good. But he is no world beater or up and coming genius. ON what line does he help the team? He wouldn’t make the squad until after McD eats up his elc. Chiarelli looking to create a new cluster.Also he does not fit the stated plan of the new management to….get ready for it……

Get bigger and stronger.

I want us to barge around the damned conference for a while.

63. GCW_69 says:

JDï™: But Matthews will make him redundant.

Best response ever!

64. PhrankLee says:

GCW_69: Also, a high end prospect like Barzal can be traded to fill a need later. Just because you draft them doesn’t mean you have to keep them.

Point taken. I know that’s the theory. I think you and I have different opinions of what a high end draft pick is. And that’s what is great about this blog when it’s humming. We do not have to agree. 🙂 (purposefulsmileyface)

That and I heard absolutely nothing regarding the Oilers being particularly high on Barzal so it may be that they wouldn’t have taken him anyway. They would have taken a bigger and stronger player.

65. frjohnk says:

GCW_69: When McDavid’s contract is up the team may need someone like Barzal to play in the top six for cap reasons.

Also, a high end prospect like Barzal can be traded to fill a need later.Just because you draft them doesn’t mean you have to keep them.

Does not sound like Oilers would have picked Barzal with that pick.
    If they were going to make the pick, I believe the player they liked was Erikkson-Ek.

But they wanted a Dman with that pick, but there were none they liked

That’s why Chia was trying to use that pick in a trade to get Hamilton.
    I’m sure that is also the time when Chia asked about Hamonic.
    They got Reinhart.

I agree that it would be nice to have whoever we picked at 16 and 33 percolating in jr and possibly ready to play in the top 9 in 18-19 because of cap reasons or used as a trade chip. At present, we really have nobody, other than maybe Sleppy, who looks to play a future skill role with the Oilers that is in the minors/jr. right now.

I like the trade to get Reinhart as I am fan of his and he is 3 years closer than those picks. He has had me wanting more though. And maybe like some have said, the Oilers overpaid but its still early in his career.

66. Kitchener says:

Great chance for Khaira, entering a bottom six where nothing rhymes. $5 says he finishes 90+% of his checks and tries to play a simple checking role.

What’s interesting is who he’ll be compared against. Others have not flourished as 3C/4C this year, so Khaira has a chance to look good quickly. He’ll certainly look big. If he can keep up otherwise, his cup of coffee might last until McDavid’s back.

67. Adam Wu says:

In the short, medium and long term the Oilers need a player like Reinhart far more than they need a player like Barzal.

In trade value a player like Reinhart is worth more than a player like Barzal, even if by some miracle the Oilers end up with a surplus of D in 2-3 years.

I’ve always found the claim that the trade was somehow an “overpay” to be specious and based entirely on overvaluing flash offensive prospects.

The only way it is an overpay is if you presume beforehand that Reinhart is guaranteed to be a bust and Barzal is guaranteed to go supernova and stay that way.

68. Kitchener says:

Glad I didn’t get to see the last game. It might have deflated my spirit so badly I’d have to start moaning about the Reider trade again to sooth my saddened feelings.

69. speeds says:

Adam Wu,

Even if it true that the Oilers needed a player like Reinhart more than a player like Barzal, it doesn’t necessarily mean that trading 16 and 33 for Reinhart specifically is a great trade.

70. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

So is Khaira expected to play Centre or wing while called up? Lander needs a shot in the arm be nice if JJ could replace him….

71. MOAR WINZ PLEEZ says:

Bruce McCurdy: I attended that game, was in the upper bowl behind the Atlanta bench. Not sure which was funnier, the sight of Bishai throwing bombs from the opposition bench or of Mick McGeough trying to break up a goalie fight.

I was at that game too… Don’t remember exactly where I was sitting but had a pretty good view of Bishai in the Atlanta bench.

Andy Sutton, now that guy was a load!

72. CrazyCoach says:

cadooo:
    CrazyCoach,

Haven’t really noticed the kid much. Going to see a game next week. Will give you a report then.

The Cougars as an organization, have grown leaps and bounds under the new ownership group. I have done business with them recently and wow what a difference. The primary owner is a local guy with hockey roots. He was in one of the coaching clinics I taught years ago and is just a great owner, I hope their efforts here turn into something big.

73. CrazyCoach says:

jp: I had no idea Malhotra was of Indian decent.

My sikh buddy said when the Canucks won the cup (with Maholtra in the lineup) King George Highway in Surrey was going to be re-named, “Manpreet Way”.

Didn’t quite happen.

I remember Robin Bawa. He played on a line with Rob Brown. Great skill, but didn’t have the size. Had a cup of coffee with the Caps. I remember the announcer said that if Robin Bawa married Barbara Walters, her new name would be, Baba Wawa Bawa,

74. CrazyCoach says:

PunjabiOil: There have been an increasing number making it at the junior/AHL level in recent years – albeit fringe prospects Ajay Baines, Kevin Sundher, Prab Rai, Tyler Sandhu, Manraj Hayer, Arvin Atwal, Sahvan Khaira (Jujhar’s brother).
    In fact, the Victoria Royals signed an Edmontonian indo-Canadian in August

I’m speculating a little here, but keep an eye out for a kid named Braeden Sihota out of Vancouver. Currently a peewee, but can skate like there’s no tomorrow. Grew up with his dad who was a total hockey pioneer as he was the first East Indian kid to play hockey in my hometown. He got crapped on so badly. I thought I faced racist pigs as a First Nations person. No one would ever run him though (he was a goalie) and if you did, I would make you eat my stick through your cage.

75. Drew says:

CrazyCoach: I’m speculating a little here, but keep an eye out for a kid named Braeden Sihota out of Vancouver.Currently a peewee, but can skate like there’s no tomorrow.Grew up with his dad who was a total hockey pioneer as he was the first East Indian kid to play hockey in my hometown.He got crapped on so badly.I thought I faced racist pigs as a First Nations person.No one would ever run him though (he was a goalie) and if you did, I would make you eat my stick through your cage.

Also though i am of Eastern Euro background, i am thrilled to see the diversity in today’s hockey prospects.

really hoping for Jarjar and EBear!

76. CrazyCoach says:

Drew: Long time reader but very new poster, I really enjoy your insight. Wish you posted more!
    really hoping for Jarjar and EBear!

Thank you very much!

Hockey is getting to be more and more of a global game, and all of us fans are the beneficiaries of that diversity. When I played, it was all white kids and First Nations kids. Years later when I coached in my hometown, the team was so diverse, you think we were doing ads for the United Nations. Absolutely loved it.