JUDGEMENT COMETH, AND THAT RIGHT SOON

As I mentioned this morning, the comments by Todd McLellan last night have legs and there are a large number of talking points to get to this afternoon. Here we go.

Two items to start: These things don’t come out of nowhere, not with this calibre of a reporter. Something happened, people. The rope snapped, probably last night with Bob Nicholson and Peter Chiarelli watching together, and we are here. There are mad executives in expensive suits and they are either trying to rattle cages, stir up interest in their players, or both.

There is very specific information here, on two fronts. Mr. Rishaug mentions four ‘keeper’ names and makes it clear that this is his opinion. NOT in the group? Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle and Oscar Klefbom. IF that is the available list, I expect we see a trade in short order, you can get a lot of return from Nuge and Klefbom.

CHANGE IN THE WEATHER

If Peter Chiarelli trades Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, that will probably be the thing we remember him for, and it will not be a good memory. A trade of RNH leaves the team (once again) completely vulnerable at center, with two extremely young men on skill lines. I would suggest to you if Nuge leaves, a (bigger) center should be the return. I do not see the wisdom in robbing Peter to pay Paul.

There’s something happening here.

HOW WILL WE KNOW

Based on reports this afternoon, the average fan (that’s me and you) is free to speculate about a future that doesn’t include the three men I have mentioned here. If Peter Chiarelli doesn’t agree with today’s reporting, we will hear from him. Bob Nicholson was quoted by TSN as saying ”patience is running out, Peter will do what is right. We’re not going to put anyone up on the block just to make a trade, but if we feel a trade is right for us, especially long term, Peter has the right and will make that deal.”

When questioned further about RNH and Jordan Eberle, he said ‘‘They are players that have been very good for our team. They haven’t performed this year. This last road trip, they haven’t been where they need to be for our team to be good.”

It is going to be very hard to walk that back. We’re going to see something go down, the only question is when. The Edmonton Oilers, complete with a veteran GM, appear hellbent on doing something addled and right soon.

162 Responses to "JUDGEMENT COMETH, AND THAT RIGHT SOON"

1. Protagonist says:

Has word of this rabble rousing by the Rishaugs spread to the McKenzies and Dregers? I like Rishaug but he’s likely parroting what the organization is saying and it takes more than one team to make a trade. I’m not sure that there are enough teams in dire need of a trade right now (save Islanders for obvious reasons) to make a trade feasible.

But it seems like someone has started shaking the tree, I guess we’ll see what shakes out. A trade that sees RNH, Eberle or Klefbom sent out for magic beans has the potential to deal serious damage to the Oilers. A trade that sees them deal from a position of strength to address a weakness could be a huge boost to this team. Thin line between genius and madness, I guess we’ll see how good PC is at walking it.

2. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

I hope the offers are crap and these men come to their senses. Going to the media like this ahead of a potential trade is so fucking foolish on so many levels. I want to strangle Bob and wherever else the leaks to Mr. Rishaug are coming from. Torpedo the value of your players and worsen your leverage. That’s a MacT special.

THIS makes me ten times angrier than an egg laid by the team in Toronto.

3. LostBoy says:

Would you make a trade with Nuge and Johansen as the main pieces?

You want to get bigger at C, that’s the only thing that’s really out there that I can think of.

4. p3rsonman says:

Rishaug also said on the radio today, and I quote, “Lauri Korpikosi was a good add.” (Gregor, Hour 1)

So, there’s that.

5. fifthcartel says:

My hope is Chiarelli and company going “leak their names and see how they respond”, because I have a really hard time believing Peter Chairelli, who had Patrice Bergeron/David Krejci/Chris Kelly in Boston, would trade RNH and leave a very green center depth of McDavid/Draisaitl/Lander.

I think Eberle is likely the one to go, as Chiarelli can probably sign Loui Eriksson or someone similar in free agency. I pray the RNH stuff is just smoke.

6. sliderule says:

When leaves ran Klefbom and he didn’t respond I thought Oh Oh.

The reason they did that is they think you can put him off his game.There are other words for that but I prefer put him off his game.

On the other hand I thought why doesn’t the whole team stand up for him.Not with a senseless penalty but a face wash and a little push back.

Bruins were famous for the scrums ,face washes and push back.

Oilers roll over.

That has to change

7. Psyche says:

I’m not very trustful in speculation from Ryan Rishaug. He is just trying to make a living in his profession.

Any trading of Nuge will be a loss for the Oilers. I can’t see any scenario where he isn’t the best player in the deal. He is one of the top emerging young talents at centre in the NHL. You don’t win any trade involving him.

I guarantee if Nuge’s last name was Reinhart then Mr. Nicholson wouldn’t have dropped any names. Nepotism. The NHL way.

8. jonrmcleod says:

Something to lighten the mood…

I tried posting this here the other day, but the link wasn’t working well all day. So at the risk of annoying some, I’m re-posting it. It’s a photo contest (mostly just for fun) based on the “McDavid Meets Messier” commercials. I thought the creative minds here might have some fun with this.

9. Stud Muffin says:

I’m sorry LT but I don’t believe anything that comes out of Rishaugs mouth.

10. Mr DeBakey says:

NOT in the group? Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle and Oscar Klefbom.

Don’t forget Klefbom is a Swede.
    Soft by definition.

= = = = = =

If Chiarelli is going to be trading Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle and Oscar Klefbom, I sure as hell hope the return is better than he got in his deals this past summer [and the Seguin deal as well].

But I’m not holding my breath.

11. Visually better says:

Rishaug is actually useless, he only offers his “insight” when shit is going array, so that he can make his outlandish statements baased off fiction. Guy’s an idiot

12. leadfarmer says:

Just because you are not considered untouchable doesn’t mean you will be traded. There is nothing wrong with taking calls about Klefbom, Nuge, and Eberle. Doesn’t mean you are actively shopping them. If something comes together it does. This GM just signed Klefbom long term. I doubt he is actively shopping him, but if you get a better player in return you pull the trigger

13. LostBoy says:

I dunno if I have an opinion about Rishaug, but this isn’t about him.

Go watch Nicholson from today on the clip on tsn.

Watch McKenzie, LeBrun, and Dreger spelling it out. This isn’t happening because their Edmonton reporter said something, it’s because the word came down.

The word was put out by the Oilers management today, unmistakably. Rishaug is just a conduit.

I’m going to hope that it’s more or less kabuki designed to light some fires.

But, like, Nicholson was asked very specifically about RNH and Eberle. And he offered not one word of the usual bs. He threw them directly and unequivocally under the bus.

14. Dicky94 says:

Malkin?

15. Bad Seed says:

How about RNH for that OEL fella?

Love RNH but if he gets you a true #1 defenceman in the right age range, you pull that trigger all day long.

16. OF17 says:

I could see Klefbom gone in a deal for Hamonic. It would suck to lose Klef, but I think it would leave us with a more balanced D overall. If that’s the sort of deal we’re imagining, I don’t mind losing key pieces.

Trading Nuge on the other hand makes little sense. Someone mentioned Johansen, and I think that deal would make sense if the Oilers didn’t already have McDavid and Draisaitl on the roster. Johansen is more of a pure offensive center than Nuge is, which makes him less suited to the 2/3C role long term. How effing lucky we’ve gotten to be talking about Nuge as a 2/3C, but here we are. I can scarcely believe it, but that 1-2-3 punch down the middle is likely going to be the Oilers’ competitive advantage once the D and G are settled.

Honestly, I’d throw $7 million at Dustin Byfuglien before moves on the Nuge/Eberle level are made. It’s the only move that doesn’t leave us exposed in other areas. Combine that with the Klefbom + for Hamonic idea, and this team could make noise.

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell replacement
    Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
    Hendricks-Nuge-Eberle
    Lander-Letestu-Korpikoski

Sekera-Hamonic
    Nurse-Byfuglien
    Reinhart-Schultz
    Davidson

In this example, Fayne could be traded for the Purcell replacement, or Schultz could be let go and his money could be used on the 1RW. Either way, don’t lose your 3-deep C advantage, don’t make the Pittsburgh mistake of running top-end Cs without top-end Ws, and for god’s sake fix the D in a truly impactful manner. Oh, and if Nilsson/Talbot don’t prove their worth by the end of the year, fix them too.

A tough list for sure, but Chiarelli has the assets and cap space to make it happen.

17. bendelson says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

THIS makes me ten times angrier than an egg laid by the team in Toronto.

Keep it under control NYCOIL!

Stud Muffin:
    I’m sorry LT but I don’t believe anything that comes out of Rishaugs mouth.

Bob Nicholson was also quoted in my post.

19. Centre of attention says:

A few points:
    1.This is an effort to light a fire under Eberle and Nuge. For sure a management leak.

2. Rishaug is blowing it out of proportion just a smidgen.

3. Nothing happens until the deadline.

4.These types of encouragement efforts have mixed success, either way feelings get hurt.

5. Remember when Duchene was apparently on the block? Big scoring streak and things quieted down.

6. Trading Klefbom only works if a better defenseman is coming back. That sort of thing can go sideways or backwards very easily. REJECT ALL SIGNALS!!!11

7. I’m so glad Halls name is not in that mix. Future Captain?

8. Can it just be March already?

9. I take more stock in what Chiarelli said the other night then what the sports version of TMZ said on twitter.

10. Calm the f**k down

20. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: Bob Nicholson was also quoted in my post.

I remember hearing Bob talk this spring about Hall & Ebs being “not so great” last season but then he praised them for their World Championship showings in the same conversation.

Bob is a “what have you done for me lately” kind of guy. I doubt Chiarelli is so short sighted.

The thing that Bob said that scares me the most was

“Daryl has talked to us, he has given the blessing to make a trade and see whats out there, if it works, get it done”

I fear the call for judgement comes from the very top. In that case the decision may indeed be very, very, addled.

Centre: The Oilers are a what have you done for me lately team. That isnt a good way to manage a hockey team.

I’ve never known a GM to refute false rumours pretty much ever.

We’re going to see something go down, the only question is when.

My money is still on the summer time for anything big.

No dance partners unless you are willing to get fleeced and I don’t see that here.

Chiarelli has been on the job for 6 months and Nicholson for less than 2 years.

Are you sure you have a bead on them as a “what have you done for me lately team”?

Or are you saying Lowe and MacT still hold sway?

24. theres oil in virginia says:

Knighttown posted a link to this article in the last thread:

I’t well worth a read. I particularly liked the following:

The proposed changes: Stop me if you’ve heard this one before, but they’re going to fix the goaltending equipment.

What actually happened: Stop me if you’ve heard this one before, but nothing.

Money quote: “Stop me if you’ve heard this one before.” Yeah, I’m going to go ahead and stop you.

Yeah, the NHL is good at pretending.

Woodguy:

I’ve never known a GM to refute false rumours pretty much ever.

We’re going to see something go down, the only question is when.

My money is still on the summer time for anything big.

Chiarelli doesnt comment, then the Nicholson quote stands. The Oilers had a bad night in Toronto and the team wasnt very good on the ice either.

26. GCW_69 says:

“The Edmonton Oilers, complete with a veteran GM, appear hellbent on doing something addled and right soon.”

I think we should wait for the return before calling a potential trade “addled”. On a team this bad, only McDavid’s should be untouchable. What is the return included Hamonic and Nielsen (re-signed)?

Nuge for Johansen would be interesting. I would rather see Nuge traded for a defender and trading centre for centre seems like a lateral move. But, Johansen is a better scorer and that’s worth something.

Sooner or later the team needs to trade for a defender of note, even the cost is dear.

27. Centre of attention says:

did you read my 10 points?

I’m getting the vibe that your having “Doug Weight traded to….” flash backs.

This is more of a “So and so said Duchene is getting traded due to lack of production”

They are not trading Nugent-Hopkins tomorrow. Not next week either. Eberles not going anywhere right away either.

Nothing happens until the deadline at the earliest but the off season is more likely the time of judgement. If they start scoring by then [they will] suddenly all noise stops again. Right now just consider it noise.

Remember when reporters/columnists were asking Sid if he secretly hated Mario? People say or ask stupid things all the time. Especially when players are in slumps.

I don’t think they trade a center. Recent performance aside, I think they would have to pry Nuge out of Todds cold dead hands. He plays a smart game, and previous verbal shows the organization values exactly what Nuge brings.

Relax, please. Your usually the sane one LT.

28. McSorley33 says:

LostBoy,

Clearly, not about Rishaug. But that won’t stop some in here from shooting the messenger.

It is going to be very hard to walk that back.

I don’t see why that’s hard to walk back.

RNH and Eberle should be first to agree with that statement.

Given what we’ve seen from them on the ice and off since becoming Oilers I’d actually expect them to be the first to agree to it.

30. AsiaOil says:

Hall has been great this year – can’t expect anything more.

RNH is not a problem – might not be helping too much right now – but not a problem. CMD/Drai are too young so we need him – but he could be a very valuable trading chip in 18 months.

Eberle is the one to deal for help on defense – and if you haven’t noticed – this coach has put size on the wing in the top 6 at every opportunity. Eberle’s days are numbered and I’m perfectly comfortable with the following in the top 6:

Hall RNH Drai
    Poo CMD Yak

I would also consider Klef for Hamonic as a hockey trade that rebalances our LH/RH mix

Centre of attention:

did you read my 10 points?

I’m getting the vibe that your having “Doug Weight traded to….” flash backs.

Relax, please. Your usually the sane one LT.

I am STILL the sane one. 🙂 In order for these this to have happened:

1. Chiarelli has a completely sane media avail
    2. Team plays badly in Toronto
    3. Nicholson goes on television and skewers his 2line
    4. Chiarelli/McLellan offer no defense of their players

You have, for no good reason, made an ass of yourself and called out two of your $6M men. There has to be something to cause this, Nicholson said those things out loud.

32. GCW_69 says:

Listening to a replay of Leafs Lunch. Ray Ferarro ripping into Justin Schultz. He was so pissed watching Schultz he took notes in Schultz’s screw ups in the Leafs game.

33. McSorley33 says:

I would sure hate to see us make a trade and wreck what we have going here…..

Oh wait…..

34. Bag of Pucks says:

I’m curious LT, is there ever an occasion when mgmt is justified in criticizing someone’s poor play publicly?

Or is that just bad business across the board?

An argument could be made that, in criticizing underperforming players, Nicholson is protecting his head coach.

When they first hired McLellan, I suggested one of the biggest benefits of the hire is that the ‘it’s the coach’ excuse would finally be null and void, and this core would at last be judged on its own merits. Seems judgement day is finally coming – even for an agnostic old Oiler fan like me.

With this in mind, your headline is definitely apropos.

35. Centre of attention says:

Maybe Nicholson was just being an ass of himself and calling out the players for motivational reasons?

I have a hunch if the Nuge line starts producing, and they will, then everything settles down again. Eberle has heard his name tossed around before and last season he used it as motivation and ended up being one of the leagues best scorers from January to April.

I don’t see why anyone thinks a trade is imminent. Even Rishaug said “It has to be the right deal, and won’t happen until the off season”

There is no such thing as a “right deal” when it comes to trading away sublime talent.

I will repeat, this is all just an attempt to get 93/14 motivated.

Ill advised? Sure.

Multi player trade imminent? Not so much.

36. Melman says:

GCW_69:
    Listening to a replay of Leafs Lunch. Ray Ferarro ripping into Justin Schultz.He was so pissed watching Schultz he took notes in Schultz’s screw ups in the Leafs game.

I get the whole just came back thing, but honestly I’m not sure he was missed when he was away. We saw the obligatory “also in photo” on the first goal and a whole lot of on his heels pond hockey style. He reminds me of the kid in pee wee who refuses to skate around with two hands on his stick (as I timidly waits to be eviscerated by the fancy stats crew).

I would love to see Chia package him up. I have no idea who would want to be on the other end of his salary expectations though. In many ways he’s almost like trying to trade a UFA in that, barring a miraculous turnaround, a team almost has to let him walk this summer.

37. GriffCity says:

Eberle to be on the block, Nuge too but not so much . Return for eberle to be a d man. Harmonic but isles want a defenceman as well. And they don’t want Reinhardt

38. stevezie says:

A trade’s not a bad trade unless it’s a bad trade. So this is not necessarily bad.

But it’s not good. And it’s probably bad.

39. Bag of Pucks says:

McSorley33:
    I would sure hate to see us make a trade and wreck what we have going here…..

Oh wait…..

You have to be patient. First overall picks can’t be expected to be elite players overnight.

Oh wait……

Bag of Pucks:

41. John Chambers says:

Woodguy:

I’ve never known a GM to refute false rumours pretty much ever.

We’re going to see something go down, the only question is when.

My money is still on the summer time for anything big.

There are a few teams: Columbus, Philly, Colorado to name a few who’ve seen this movie play out all too regularly and who may be wanting to make an in-season move. By that I mean I’m not so convinced that there aren’t teams somewhat desperate to do something prior to the midway point of the season.

So RNH and Klefbom are on the table? Who might that return?

Duchesne and Barrie? Johansson and Murray?

These kinds of deals don’t necessarily imply a fleecing, perhaps more of a saw-off … like we used to see in the good old days!

42. Zelepukin says:

GCW_69:

I would love to read a transcript. Have it printed on a t-shirt even.

43. Bag of Pucks says:

Lowetide: Sure. I have a counter question: Should that criticism come from the GM, or CEO?

In a high performance business like professional sports, it shouldn’t matter.

What you see with the best teams that have true accountability is the players themselves calling out their shitty play long before the coach or management has to.

Get too hung up on who can and can’t demand accountability in your business and you’re creating a bureaucracy which is the death of high performance.

44. dammit tambellini says:

This shouldn’t be a surprise, nuge and eberle have not performed to the level they are expected too. Their names are going to be in trade rumours as long as they continue to underperform. I have faith in Chiarelli to rebuild the bottom 6 and the defense since those were two major strengths of the cup champion Bruins. The oilers inability to develop a forward drafted past the first round is reason why our bottom 6 is either overpaid or ineffective.

45. square_wheels says:

GCW_69,

I’ve always enjoyed Ray’s honesty, albeit, usually at the expense of offering any constructive feedback.

46. BAUCE says:

Three players were given A’s this season and it seems like one of them is excelling. If you wear that A on your jersey you are responsible for motivating the team – and you should be culpable if the teams appears unmotivated. This was the test given by management.

Frankly its about time the patience has run out.

47. square_wheels says:

John Chambers,

It’s always about the blend, like a good smoothie, add too much chocolate chips thinking your banana strawberry just needs that bit of chocolate and BAM, complete dog shit.

Maybe a trade like that is the correct ingredient, that’s why Chia was brought in.

Harmonic for Klef. Maybe a RHD to balance Sekera is magic.

I’d take something like this just to not endure enough season of “what if”. Clearly, waiting for the off season isn’t working.

48. Pechetr says:

Something is clearly wrong with Nuge. He has been one of the most consistent players we have had the last few years. We have all seen Nuge play the “power forward” at times and I believe it is too soon to consider trading him. Klefbom for Hamonic? Yes please. Eberle for anyone with a spine would be fantastic. Less than 2 months ago we were raving about finally having some center depth and now we want to go with 2 rookies?

49. John Chambers says:

stevezie:

But it’s not good. And it’s probably bad.

However just because we’re desperate doesn’t mean there aren’t other teams who are more desperate.

I’d like to think Sakic and Roy are panicking, so too Kekalainen. Chiarelli definitely has better job security than they do, so there is the black art of feigning desperation as a ploy to exploit the truly desperate. You dig?

Bag of Pucks: In a high performance business like professional sports, it shouldn’t matter.

I am very confused by the actions of the organization in the last 24 hours.

51. John Chambers says:

square_wheels,

I think we’re done assessing. Eberle isn’t worth $6M. RNH is a great player but he’s not going to hold up against the big C’s in the west. I think the lustre has completely worn off Schultz and Yakupov that at this point you may as well try to find a way to make them work in your system (eg Yak flanking 97) because nobody is willing to give up anything of value.

If they can move two underperforming ‘core’ players for equivalents from other clubs I think it’s not a bad time to set a new direction.

52. square_wheels says:

Only when it’s not true.

In this case, 12M in 2 top 6 players that must deliver at even’s. These players need to drive the play – full stop. We all violently agreed this summer that everyone needs to convince the GM ,who has no ties to these players, they get to ride the McDavid train or they go.

If this was any other business, hell, any other successful franchise in pro sports, we wouldn’t be obsessed with collecting talent.

Results are what matters, deliver or don’t, but I won’t lose any respect for Chia , for trading anyone.

Fuck, we sold Gretzky and won another cup.

53. GCW_69 says:

Lowetide: I am very confused by the actions of the organization in the last 24 hours.

I am confused as to why they dressed Schultz instead of trading him for whatever they could get as well, but what are you going to do?

54. Mr DeBakey says:

John Chambers: I think we’re done assessing. Eberle isn’t worth $6M.

Eberle is one of the Top 10 RWs in the NHL.

55. square_wheels says:

John Chambers,

100% agree. Bill Guerin trade comes to mind. Doug Weight as well. Sometimes magic happens when you shake instead of stir. I’m so fucking done with collecting shiny things, I want results.

56. Bag of Pucks says:

Katz’s Bay Street buddies are laughing at him. His shiny new toy was supposed to be THE hot seller this Christmas and they got schooled by a collection of effeminate Ken dolls, a rusty meccano set and an ECHL tender in a knock off Cujo mask. Shit’s embarrassing.

The beatings will continue until the morale improves.

57. stevezie says:

John Chambers,

Big time. I have always been one of the “no one is touchable” people.

That said, I am also against the idea that we have spare forwards. I don’t think we do. I think the forward corps is the only part that looks good when everyone is healthy. I think we need all three centres we have. And I think we only think Eberle is an “extra” because he has sucked so far, probably because of injury. If he was typical Eberle he would be a key cog.

We need defenceman even more” Sure. Yes. So I would trade Eberle for a d-man. But I’m not looking to do that, because then I’d need to findanother Eberle. But If I get a d-man back who is a better dman then Eberle is forward? Sure. Silly not to.

Or if I get a d-man back is decent and they include a competent forward? Maybe.

58. PDL says:

John Chambers:
    square_wheels,

If we are truly looking at dealing Nuge and Klefbom, don’t you think we would have completed a trade with Snow for Hamonic by now? Surely they would have come up with some package around Hamonic, Nuge and Klefbom that would work.

59. Bad Seed says:

square_wheels:

Only when it’s not true.

Fuck, we sold Gretzky and won another cup.

Agreed except for last point. They probably would have won more than one more if Gretzky stayed.

60. square_wheels says:

Mr DeBakey,

Tyler Seguin is top 3 in points since being traded, nobody in that Bruins dressing room lost any sleep.

Extreme example, yes, but the team didn’t implode the moment he left.

61. square_wheels says:

Bad Seed,

But we still won after he left, and he didn’t win again.

Magic happens when you take chances.

62. John Chambers says:

PDL,

Problem is the salary we would have going to Long Island is > $7M while there’s under $4M coming back. Doesn’t work.

63. John Chambers says:

Mr DeBakey: Eberle is one of the Top 10 RWs in the NHL.

You’re better off with Brooks Orpik than you are with Eberle. Really.

64. square_wheels says:

John Chambers,

Jesus H Christ John, use another defenceman as an example.

65. PDL says:

John Chambers:
    PDL,

I didn’t mean it literally RNH + OK for TH. More like RNH + OK for TH + Tavares….in my dreams. I know.

66. John Chambers says:

square_wheels,

Whatever do you mean?

🙂

67. square_wheels says:

John Chambers,

Anyone but that Miata driving ass.

68. AsiaOil says:

Klef for Hamonic probably works for both teams and gives us some RH balance at the expense of one of our multiple LH. It’s a hockey trade.

Eberle for another RH defenseman completes the process but doesn’t happen until the trade deadline when CMD and Yak are back at full strength. I also deal Shultz, Gryba, Niki & Ference for whatever I can get at that time (unlikey that Ference is tradable).

Hall RNH Drai
    Poo CMD Yak

Sekera xxx (Eberle trade)
    Nurse Hamonic
    Davidson GR Fayne

69. fifthcartel says:

That Nicholson interview is insane, why would he say that?

I don’t even know why he would be giving interviews other than the occasional “hey, our new arena will be great! Things will get better!”, but to go on TSN and say that about RNH and Eberle just seems like amateur-ish.

Just a very odd decision.

70. Stanley 2018 says:

People seem to be forgetting that the Oilers are opening a new Arena next year, and the new season tix packages- with a big increase- just went out. Nicholson is not talking to the players in that TSN piece, he’s talking to their Customers. Players need to remember that what they are getting paid for is to provide entertainment, and if they’re not going to perform the org will find people that do.

71. TayLordBalls says:

I would trade Eberle and RNH for Crosby and I think the Penguins would go for it to.

fifthcartel:
    That Nicholson interview is insane, why would he say that?

Just a very odd decision.

That is what I am saying, but people keep telling me to calm down!!!!!!!

73. Caramel Obvious says:

square_wheels:
    Mr DeBakey,

Extreme example, yes, but the team didn’t implode the moment he left.

Worst argument ever. Please hand in your keys on the way out.

74. Caramel Obvious says:

John Chambers: Maybe so but the 50th best Dman in the league is more valuable than the 10th best RW.

You’re better off with Brooks Orpik than you are with Eberle. Really.

And then I read this. Mind officially blown. No response could ever suffice for something so unintelligible.

75. fifthcartel says:

It honestly didn’t register with me until right now, but then I thought “did he really say that?” and it just seemed like pure frustration from Nicholson, and an instance where someone else should have clearly told him it was a bad idea to voice that frustration on TSN of all places.

I don’t think a CEO of all people says things without it being a concern, but a very very curious move by Nicholson.

76. Ryan says:

Zelepukin: I would love to read a transcript. Have it printed on a t-shirteven.

77. Caramel Obvious says:

When MacT was fired and everyone was delirious I said be careful what you wish for.

Well, be careful what you wish for. Chiarelli has not been an improvement. In some ways worse. Now this.

To GCW above, in many ways Schultz signing with the Oilers has set the franchise back years. It is hard to calculate how much damage he has done, both directly and indirectly.

78. square_wheels says:

Caramel Obvious,

I’d love to hear your argument. Sure, Seguin is a wonderful player, but Chia flipped him. Trading one or 2 players can never ruin a team, so of it does, it wasn’t much of a team to begin with.

It was a fucking odd deal, but it happened.

79. square_wheels says:

Ryan,

That first goal last night with him paused gawking at the play in front of the net, that’s the picture on the shirt.

80. Caramel Obvious says:

square_wheels:
    Caramel Obvious,

It was a fucking odd deal, but it happened.

And it set the Bruins back years. It was a catastrophic deal for the Bruins. They’ll be dealing with the repercussions for years.

81. alice13 says:

Re last post first,

‘Long December’ is a fave song, always loved the line

look across a crowded room and see
    the way that light attaches, to a girl

Heard an interview and the song was about a friend being in – I think – a car accident, and he spent a month daily going to see her in hospital “It’s another day up in the canyon” refers to the hospital.

I’d say now I digress, but actually hadn’t started anywhere else.

I know Hall-Herman is tough to break up, so take that point as given, I’m not happy with the idea either.

But if they’re the only guys stirring the drink right now, maybe you have to swap Drai and Nuge to get both lines firing.

Yes, I Know!

82. GCW_69 says:

John Chambers:
    PDL,

They have cap space.

Make it Hamonic and Nielsen (re-signed) for Nuge and Schultz.

83. square_wheels says:

Caramel Obvious,

Possibly. We’ll know in years, although it’s not looking great for them. Having said that, I qualified it as an extreme example, but my point is good players get traded for far sillier reasons.

If Nuge is ever traded, Chia will point to his point totals (ok but not stunning), Face Off % and gritensity.

I love the Nuge, wonderful player, but if him or Ebs are sent away for a johansen, hamonic, hell even a Tyler Johnson or a Bouwmeester and we progress……I don’t fault Chia.

84. Caramel Obvious says:

square_wheels,

The only one of those names you mentioned that is plausible is Bouwmeester and that won’t make the Oliers better.

If they win more games after the trade it will be in spite of the trade not because of it.

85. square_wheels says:

Caramel Obvious,

My point isn’t the names, it’s the logic that single players make or break a team.

They don’t.

I really don’t give any fucks about Seguin, the Bruins or any other GM’s making deals they feel could make the team better, I care about this team and the painful truth were the worst franchise in the game.

alice13:
    Re last post first,

‘Long December’ is a fave song, always loved the line

look across a crowded room and see
    the way that light attaches, to a girl

Heard an interview and the song was about a friend being in– I think – a car accident, and he spent a month daily going to see her in hospital “It’s another day up in the canyon” refers to the hospital.

I’d say now I digress, but actually hadn’t started anywhere else.

Yes, I Know!

I love the song too. It was released iirc around the time I made a major change in career and I was on the road a lot. It has a melancholy feel to it and that was my mood. We had two young children and I made one of those decisions that was maybe about being a grownup. Thats kind of how I think of the song, maybe this year will be better than the last, maybe this decision you made will feel better a year from now instead of bring the right thing to do.

87. flyfish1168 says:

I have been always leery of Chai. Wasn’t a fan of how he handled Seguin and how he managed the CAP space in beantown.

I do believe Nicholson, TMac and Chai message through the media is a warning how they want the players to play. I’m sure the players in question is aware they have a small window of time to prove they can play hard. They know they won’t be traded prior to the end of the season due to the difficulty with CAP space.

88. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAint'sSo! says:

I don’t understand why this is causing such shock and resentment. Many of us have been saying for a week or two now that something doesn’t look right with those two. Its not that they weren’t producing they were actually playing bad for large stretches. Eberle went 5, 0-0-0 -9 on that trip. That’s ugly

McLellan called them out last night in the post game. Their names have already been mentioned in trade talks around Hamonic. Now Nicholson backs his coach while taking a shot that plenty other intelligent people have taken. You also have the example of Sakic lighting a fire under Duchene’s ass (GWG tonight) with a similar strategy, risky but it worked.

89. Mr. D. says:

Ryan: I’d settle for a chance to ask Mclellan why the eff he’s using Jultz to kill penalties.

When you are trying to trade someone:
    A. You play them.
    B. You play them in various situations.
    You are not trading your healthy scratches.

90. Caramel Obvious says:

square_wheels,

square_wheels,

square_wheels,

But the only way your team can get better is by adding one good player at a time. If you subtract a good player or a great player you are now that much farther away than you were before.

There is absolutely no way the Oilers will get equal value by trading RNH or Eberle. They won’t even try. Instead, they’ll make the trade to “change the mix” or some other set of words that mean nothing.

I mean Rishaug came right out and said that if you could trade one of them for someone who brings 65% of the offense but the right intangibles you should make that trade. That’s the barrel we are looking down.

So we’re talking someone around .4 or .5 pts/game. It’s not going to be Ryan Johansen, it is going to be Justin Abdelkader or Troy Brouwer (if he were younger). Wayne Simmonds or Brandon Dubinsky is probably the top end you can hope for. If it happens, those are the kind of names you’ll have to get used to.

91. flyfish1168 says:

To GCW above, in many ways Schultz signing with the Oilers has set the franchise back years.It is hard to calculate how much damage he has done, both directly and indirectly.

I agree. justin was afforded ample opportunities and sucked badly. The frustrating part is did the coach have a chose or people above had a demand.

92. LostBoy says:

I think there are three things today’s demonstrations, for want of a better word, from OIler HQ could be about, one unlikely, one relatively benign, and one deeply worrisome.

It could be about actually making trades with Chiarelli in the driver’s seat. This seems very unlikely, as you don’t need bizarre multiple stories on tsn to serve notice to the other 29 GMs that some of your core are on the block. It also clashes with his media availability from a couple of days ago. He might well make a big trade, but you don’t need this to do it, in any way I can figure out.

It could be kabuki, intended to kick some asses and tune some people in. I hope this is the most likely explanation. I don’t know why you have Bob Nicholson out leading the charge, though.

The worrying possibility is that it’s something off kilter, rage from the batcave or whatever. Bob Nicholson is possibly more likely to be leading the charge in this scenario. I really hope it’s not something like this, because it might mean we’re fu… I mean might mean we face some challenges.

It’ll be interesting to hear from Chiarelli tomorrow. On the occasion of the visit of his former team.

93. Caramel Obvious says:

He does one thing very, very, well. His ability to jump into the play is world class. We saw that last game. However, this is only valuable if he finishes. He didn’t last game and he didn’t last year.

If he would finish those chances, and not be so incredibly terrible on the powerplay, he’d be a player with value.

Schultz, just like Yakupov, is someone whose low shooting percentage the past two years has killed their value, and brought the Oilers down with them.

I’m willing to hope that Yakupov rebounds because he does other things well. But Schultz doesn’t do anything well.

94. Ari says:

GCW_69:

Nuge for Johansen would be interesting. I would rather see Nuge traded for a defender and trading centre for centre seems like a lateral move.But, Johansen is a better scorer and that’s worth something.

I agree that Johansen is a better scorer, but how do you feel about the contracts? RNH’s $6M per through to ’21 is not as risky as Johansen’s RFA status in 2017. Wouldn’t you be worried about Jo’s contract demands. He’s about 15th in scoring over the past two years. I’m guessing he’ll want significantly over 6M, no?

95. hags9k says:

If they deal Nuge, it better be a monster return. If they throw him away for peanuts, I’m done.

1) I would not trade Klefbom for Hamonic.
    2) My do-not-trade list is Nugent-Hopkins, McDavid, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Nurse, and Hall. I would trade Eberle if the return was a defensemen that I liked.
    3) McLellan, unlike Krueger and Nelson, cannot make lemonade out of lemons. He isn’t going anywhere, but is not as good a coach as his reputation.

97. pocession charge says:

flyfish1168:
    I have been always leery of Chai.

Me, too. I usually stick with something more traditional like Earl Grey, or a green tea with a touch of honey.

98. John Chambers says:

Ari,

The comparable for Johansson is Ryan O’Reilly’s $7M x 7 contract. It’s a notch higher than RNH but takes the term several years beyond Nuges contract.

Upon Johanssons contract expiring his team still holds his rights so to me it doesn’t seem like much of a risk.

For what it’s worth I would make an RNH for Johansson flip without thinking twice.

99. PhrankLee says:

Lowetide: alice13:
    Re last post first,
    ‘Long December’ is a fave song, always loved the line
    look across a crowded room and see
    the way that light attaches, to a girl
    I’d say now I digress, but actually hadn’t started anywhere else.
    Yes, I Know!

I discovered this album on the road as well. Sales route between Edmonton and Ft. St. John.

One of those albums that stick with me going through some major changes at the time as well. My favorite was the first track. Catapult.

Was always amazed with the guys voice. Like Van Morrison he never ever sang a damn line out of key even when it was obvious he did the track differently. Probably each take was varied but perfectly in key. Bastard.
    Track7 too
    Get away from me
    Get away, this isn’t gonna be easy.

100. stevezie says:

John Chambers,

This i cannot dig. You go too far.

And I haven’t bothered to weigh in on this, but I guess it’s a minor debate, so I can’t believe Nicholson said that. People are focusing on how crazy what he said was or wasn’t. True, Eberle hasn’t been good, and while Nuge hasn’t been bad, he never exactly blows the doors off (though I’m with those who see him as quietly excellent).

But Nicholson said it! Who the fuck is he? How livid would we be if Pat Larfarge went public with his dream trade scenarios? I cannot remember ever hearing the business end of a hockey team comment on ice. Even in Leafs? Am I forgetting obvious examples? This is bizarre!

Am I forgetting obvious examples? it’s 4 a.m here.

101. square_wheels says:

Caramel Obvious,

I don’t disagree, but maybe that’s the bet we make. I don’t see the current plan working and Chia is not going to piss away Hall, Drai and now McD’s prime years.

It always has to be about results. Right now, we’re 30th, something finally has to give with this team.

102. pocession charge says:

godot10:

3) McLellan, unlike Krueger and Nelson, cannot make lemonade out of lemons.He isn’t going anywhere, but is not as good a coach as his reputation.

They weren’t good under Krueger or Nelson. Please stop this narrative Godot. The players are underperforming.

103. pocession charge says:

Caramel Obvious:
    But Schultz doesn’t do anything well.

I hear he’s a decent golfer.

John Chambers:
    Ari,

I think Johanssen can choose player arbitration to get to UFA status. So one really hold his rights for two years vs. five with Nugent-Hopkins after this season.

105. John Chambers says:

stevezie,

I don’t quite know what you’re referring to, but I agree with you on RNH – he’s an excellent player who does many subtle things well. He’s a bargain at $6M and I’m glad we bottomed out in ’10-’11 to get him.

As far as ‘untradeable’ I think that moniker doesn’t fit anyone given particular circumstances. I wouldn’t trade him for lesser players, but it’s crazy not to consider an exchange for a bigger player who can deliver offense.

The team really does need to become tougher to play against, and tough choices will need to be made. In my heart Ive really wanted these kids to turn a corner together and rip up the majors like they torched the ‘A’ during the lockout, but I’m no longer deluded into believing that will happen.

106. PhrankLee says:

Im a GM and I have been hired by a team that has the best damn 2C in hockey and just won the best1C to come down the pipe since Crosby.

I also have a young fella from Europe that I am not crazy about but damn happy we have given the season interrupting injury to the aforementioned 1C

So I have the best 1C to exist since Crosby.
    The best 2C in hockey. Born to rule at 2C. Born to.
    A big and super skilled, not “has the potential” but super skilled young guy. (Plays C but is good at W! pick a side.)

Something starting to take shape..at C.

Trade RNH?

Ha ha ha. Ok. That’s idiotic. Anyone, and I don’t make many sweeping statements, suggesting it is foolish. Finally having what we need to build a full team we should trade the guy who, while being the best 2C in hockey has played 1C since he was bloody 19!! And held his own.

Sure, guy. Trade him..

Idiot.

pocession charge: They weren’t good under Krueger or Nelson.Please stop this narrative Godot.The players are underperforming.

Pro-rated 77 points under Krueger and Nelson, with worse rosters, no training camp, none of their own assistant coaches. Made lemonade out of lemons.

McLellan. Better roster. Training camp. His handpicked assistant coaches. Lost a handful of points by playing Ference. Several players underperforming. Not close to a 77 point pace. Not a particularly good coach in an outmanned situation where roster deployment to maximize resutls is critical.

The coach isn’t going anywhere. But I’m less than impressed. It means the players are going to change.

108. tomo says:

Bob Nicholson is a bureaucrat–pure and simple. His history with Hockey Canada and his responsibilities with the Oil should serve as evidence of that. I don’t think he has ever, or ever should, be involved in personnel decisions. Leave those to the real “hockey men” and pray they don’t do anything really stupid.

109. John Chambers says:

godot10,

Makes sense. In that case I prefer the certainty of Nuge’s contract.

110. stevezie says:

Caramel Obvious: The problem with Schultz is that he is so, so, so very bad on the powerplay. An offensive defenseman who makes your powerplay worse is a luxury you can’t afford.

This is exactly Schultz. His even strength scoring potential is tantalizing, but how often does a scoring dman suck on the pp?

111. Gret99zky says:

Not saying make a knee-jerk or silly trade.

But something needs to be done about changing the losing culture that is so ingrained in this team.

I don’t want McDavid to get used of losing the way the rest of the core has.

112. Dr. Taboggan says:

godot10,

The ‘strong’ performance at the end of last season was nothing more than a dead cat bounce. The team did not improve under Nelson. If I remember correctly the numbers were trending down during the back half of the season. They ran a hot line and a hot powerplay for a few months. Kruegers team was also not good. They only played 48 games and shit the bed during the last ten. It is very possible that the Oilers would have finished last if they had played 82 games that season. Kruegers fancy stats were very ugly.

113. John Chambers says:

Gret99zky:
    Not saying make a knee-jerk or silly trade.

I don’t want McDavid to get used of losing the way the rest of the core has.

I think this will ultimately be quite important. I’m not sure Eberle and Hall will be able to find the motivation to train how they have to this summer to get psyched up to play another season of Oilers hockey. Once a losing skid happens they think ‘fuck it’ and head to the bar.

114. pocession charge says:

godot10: Pro-rated 77 points under Krueger and Nelson, with worse rosters, no training camp, none of their own assistant coaches.Made lemonade out of lemons.

McLellan.Better roster.Training camp.His handpicked assistant coaches.Lost a handful of points by playing Ference.Several players underperforming.Not close to a 77 point pace.Not a particularly good coach in an outmanned situation where roster deployment to maximize resutls is critical.

The coach isn’t going anywhere.But I’m less than impressed.It means the players are going to change.

Krueger and Nelson both had hot power plays. Krueger also had better goaltending. Those teams had poor even strength numbers. And prorated means nothing. Krueger’s team got a fast start after the lockout but the team was trending downward as the season progressed. Nelson’s team had nothing to lose because the season was already over.

115. dustrock says:

I’m trying to remember how much “trade everybody” noise we heard from the MSM during the Eakins Gulag. Feel like this is the loudest the media has been in some time.

Don’t think we’ve mentioned Ice District and Katz gouging fans on the new arena. He isn’t going to want his shiny new arena to be manned by another 30th place team.

I’m not sure Katz will actually give Chiarelli and McLellan the time they need (the full season) to fully evaluate the team.

Would be nice to give them 20 games with a healthy lineup.

116. G Money says:

*** NERD ALERT ***

I run some numbers on Korpi and the Nuge. I like one of them and not the other one. Click to find out who!

117. Dr. Taboggan says:

dustrock,

How often does a team have a healthy lineup for 20 games? Teams usually have at least one key player injured at any point during the season. Being able to play through injuries is pretty standard for teams. I don’t remember Pittsburgh making excuses when Crosby was injured.

118. böök¡je says:

Gret99zky:
    Not saying make a knee-jerk or silly trade.

I don’t want McDavid to get used of losing the way the rest of the core has.

By losing culture, you mean crappy defence correct?

119. D says:

It would be fun to watch RNH light up the Oilers for the next decade if he stupidly gets traded because of a personal slump. I guess those calling for a knee jerk move are quick to forget how much Petry and to a lesser extent Dubnyk blew up in faces of the Oilers.

120. stevezie says:

John Chambers,

I’m pretty on board with most of what you said, I was just objecting to the “Maybe so but the 50th best Dman in the league is more valuable than the 10th best RW.” claim.

This might be true if you have a staggering excess at one position, but I don’t think we do. We’re good at winger, but we don’t have extras. We have enough. If we trade one for a defenceman we might improve- our defence is inadequate-but we won’t improve enough, because we will now be short a winger.

So I won’t lose my mind if we trade Ebs for Hamonic on a great contract, but I won’t love it because I think that Eberle is a better winger than Hamonic is a D.

121. hags9k says:

D:
    It would be fun to watch RNH light up the Oilers for the next decade if he stupidly gets traded because of a personal slump.I guess those calling for a knee jerk move are quick to forget how much Petry and to a lesser extent Dubnyk blew up in faces of the Oilers.

He’s 22, and in a slump. He had the flu earlier this month and who knows how much strength that sapped.

Just un fucking believable that trading Nuge is a topic right now. He’s our best 2 way player, arguably was our best player and MVP last year, at 21, the kid who plays the toughs and fights for every inch all over the ice. Datsyuk! Bergeron! We’ve got a nice thing here! The more I think about it, the angrier I get. Pure batshit crazy. Reshaug should take his head out of his ass!

122. jp says:

square_wheels:
    John Chambers,

Harmonic for Klef. Maybe a RHD to balance Sekera is magic.

I don’t think “waiting for the off season” means what you think it means.

123. hags9k says:

G Money,

Great work G. Spot on. He’s been sick and is in a slump. Get these kids some help from the depth lines and D. Nobody would notice 93 and 14 are slumping if we could maybe get a few goals from the D, a few from the grinders, or a goalie could steal a game or two. But no it’s 4-29 or bust right now so it must be time for Nuge to go.

124. hags9k says:

Let’s not forget what we had to pay to get the NUGE!!!!!!!!!

The 2010-2011 Oilers posted a regular season record of 25 wins, 45 losses, and 12 overtime/shootout losses for 62 points and last place in the 30 team league, failing to qualify for the Stanley Cup playoffs for the fifth consecutive season.

That season was total humiliation and suffering. Seth Jones? Fuck off.

125. GCW_69 says:

D:

Nuge should not be traded because of his slump. Nuge should be traded IF trading him fixes the defence or the goaltending. That means Hamonic and Nielsen from the islanders. Seth Jones from Nashville. Maybe Adam Larsson. Tuuka Rask.

He should not be traded for spare parts. He should not be traded just because.

126. PDL says:

Caramel Obvious:
    square_wheels,

square_wheels,

square_wheels,

I mean Rishaug came right out and said that if you could trade one of them for someone who brings 65% of the offense but the right intangibles you should make that trade.That’s the barrel we are looking down.

So we’re talking someone around .4 or .5 pts/game.It’s not going to be Ryan Johansen, it is going to be Justin Abdelkader or Troy Brouwer (if he were younger).Wayne Simmonds or Brandon Dubinsky is probably the top end you can hope for. If it happens, those are the kind of names you’ll have to get used to.

If we trade Nuge for a Troy Brouwer because our pro scouts couldn’t find a Troy Brouwer type player in free agency or our farm team couldn’t develop one in the entire time that Nuge has been here, these guys managing the team should just quit. It’s embarrassing.

Did they really make this fan base and the kids suffer through years of tanking only to throw away Nuge for someone who doesn’t score as much?

127. PDL says:

hags9k,

At least Seth Jones was a high pick! Listening to the reports today you’d think we need both Nuge and Eberle just to get seguin’s jock strap.

128. --hudson-- says:

Bob seems upset at notion of trading rnh

129. jp says:

–hudson–,

He really does.

130. teddyturnbuckle says:

No trade coming, Rishaug is purely speculating. He tends to ramble on and pull this stuff out of the air. Worst that will happen is that Eberle will be dealt some day but even that is a stretch. Cap era ties all gms hands on trades. If everyone hasn’t noticed trades are nearly impossible. Maybe if the Oilers didn’t piss all their draft picks away on crap goalies we might actually have some prospects coming. Now that nurse and dr dri are up the farm system is shockingly bad. How bout that Nicolson ?

131. jp says:

G Money,

Enjoyed reading the article (particularly the CHANGED MY LIFE/not really part).

Those numbers truly are almost life changing though. Imagine a world where Lander and Letestu are at 50% CF.

I guess McLellan will eventually clue in. He seems to have with Gryba after playing the shit out of him for 20 games.

Whether Korpi rebounds some or gets pushed out of the lineup, this is looking like a major mistake by Chia.

Also, the Nuge is wonderful.

132. Lois Lowe says:

Nuge has 17 points in 24 games and has been carrying an under performing Ebs and Pouliot the last 7 games. There’s just no way he’s getting traded. I don’t think Rishaug has any inside information or even a good understanding of hockey. He’s pretty much TSN’s Mark Spector.

If Chia wants gritensity, he’s going to bring it in on the wings. It’s more likely going to be a garbage deal for a Troy Brouwer/Tommy Wingels/Dustin Brown *spits*/Ryan Clowe kind of guy. You simply do not win trades involving quality Cs. Chiarelli has to know this.

Ebs likely came back too soon and is dealing with the consequences. I expect him to get hurt again in the next month and have shoulder surgery soon afterwards.

The D is a mess and I can see a Klefbom + 2016 1st lottery protected (can they do that?) for Hamonic deal. The cap hits are fairly even and it’s a matter of sweetening the pot.

The best bet is to do nothing. Edmonton MSM won’t like it, but it’s the right play. The D is still hot garbage and the bottom six are very not good.

edit – The more I think about it, the more I think it’ll be Ryan Clowe.

133. crimson20 says:

I go to work and come back, and this ridiculousness has reached new levels. Quietly, Elliotte Friedman is the only source of sanity in this clusterf***:

“When Peter Chiarelli comes out and says he’s not making a panic trade, there’s two components. The first is that when struggling, other GMs throw anvils, not lifejackets. Often, these are your worst deals…

… No doubt Chiarelli is going to perform major surgery. But he needs to hold more than Queen-high.”

134. Walter Sobchak says:

I’m not convinced Chiarelli will trade another centre, that Seguin deal alone almost killed his career.

I don’t see Eberle lasting though.

135. edwards_daddy says:

Not sure why the coach would call Eberle and Nuge out – if the team wanted to trade them.
    Sounds more like lighting a fire under some asses to me.

136. Samson Loveblast says:

Another point, if Nuge is a trade candidate (which he should not be), then you cannot make that deal until you have Mcdavid back in 2 months unless you have a centre coming back of similar ability and who in the heck is making such a deal from the other side? See the Hamonic situation for reference. Otherwise you simply harpoon the team further.

137. Yeti says:

For it so falls out,
    That what we have we prize not to the worth,
    Whiles we enjoy it.
    But being lacked and lost,
    Why then we rack the value,
    Then we find the virtue that possession would not show us,
    Whiles it was ours.

138. Aitch says:

I think this is cage-rattling myself. Half of the forwards have been in a funk all season long and the first time RNH goes cold, suddenly he’s the problem and needs to be traded. I don’t think so. While the team needs more from RNH and Ebs, they were two of the only players this team has last season. They will produce. But when the bottom half of your roster has done sweet FA, it puts way more pressure on those who are expected to lead. This is a shot at the bottom half of the roster by calling out the top half.

The Leafs get two deflections and an empty netter and suddenly RNH and Ebs are garbage? Yeah, something doesn’t add up.

139. Adam Wu says:

If you trade RNH before McDavid returns from injure and before Drai gets more experience under his belt, then you are definitively sewering this season, even if the return is stellar and you “win” the trade.

140. Adam Wu says:

You don’t change a “losing culture” by exchanging a skilled player with “character problems” with a less skilled player with “intangibles”.

We tried that already. The character guy was named Andrew Ference. How did that work out?

This is social dynamics in human groups 101. A single outside individual is far more likely to be absorbed into the prevailing culture (or ostracized) than be able to have any significant impact, on his own, on that culture.

Even if that outside individual has a forceful personality and the group is small, the most likely result is schism and conflict, which is EVEN WORSE.

There is only ONE way to change a “losing culture”. And that is to WIN.

How do you WIN? By increasing your group’s competence relative to your competition. How do you NOT do that? By trading your skilled players in exchange for the opposition’s less skilled players.

141. Caramel Obvious says:

For those scoring at home RNH has more points than Sidney Crosby and Johnathan Toews.

It turns out it is hard to score in the NHL.

The answer to this problem is not to get rid of all the guys that can score.

The link above to Bob’s twitter feed was horrifying. Oiler fan is a truly stupid breed of animal.

142. flyfish1168 says:

pocession charge: I hear he’s a decent golfer.

I wonder how good justins driver is. Using a driver is like a slap shot. justins slapper so F*****ken soft = bad drive.

143. MenovOil says:

If RNH and our 1st rouder can be turned into Seth Jones or OEL, I’d be all for it. I doubt OEL is going anywhere but if we can land Seth Jones? You have to make that trade IMO.

144. Kmart99 says:

As Bob said, TMac has put natural centres in the wing often in order to keep them in the top 6.

Running … ..

Hall/RNH/DRAI
    POO/CMD/EBS

OR. HALL/DRAI/EBS
    POO/CMD/RNH

OR. HALL/DRAI/YAK
    RNH/CMD/EBS

…as your top six isn’t out of the question.

I know Nuge is a lefty but he plays RW on the PP. Maybe he can play either side. Or maybe Drai stays on the wing and only moves over if one of the other three centres are hurt.

Or, maybe Hrudey was right and Nuge becomes that third line centre the Oil have been desperately seeking. Either way, trading Nuge seems like a guaranteed way to set this team back a few steps.

If Nuge and Ebs weren’t slumping right now, this bs from RR wouldnt be out there.

145. stevezie says:

Lois Lowe: There’s just no way he’s getting traded. I don’t think Rishaug has any inside information or even a good understanding of hockey

What about Bob Nicholson?

146. Kmart99 says:

Adam Wu:

There is only ONE way to change a “losing culture”. And that is to WIN.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

RNH and Ebs are performing well below normal levels and they need to correct that. As soon as they do, winning starts. As soon as winning starts, so does the change in culture.

The emergence of Drai has coincided with a CMD injury, RNH/EBS slump, and now a Yak injury.

The addition of a great player like Draisaitl is not enough to offset the losses of CMD, RNH. EBS, and YAK. It’s not enough to offset the loss of CMD, let alone all four.

RNH and EBS have GOT to get going.

147. vishcosity says:

There are countless examples of people getting a good job, taking the growing bank balance as evidence of personal exceptionalism, then buying Porches and letting girls move in, having personal issues and letting the personal issues over ride the choice to do the things that got them the job in the first place. likely the biggest issue for both unions and tenure.

Bob Nichelson is both a hockey fan and a corporate mouth piece. The TV anchor’s job is to get Bob to spill wildly on live television, and possibly Bob got bested by a TSN anchor. What may have also been good television was a scene somewhere of Peter Chiarelli with his palm on his face.

There is no guarantee that BN on TSN was spilling a highly structured party line. He may have simply gotten carried away.

Nuge has made about 15 million dollars? Clearly he had elite hockey skill before the entry draft, but is it necessarily true that Nuge also has elite skill to keep sharp despite extreme finances in hand? Seems Dustin Penner got beat, maybe Nikitin too.

Maybe Bob knows about the softness that luxury can develop. Impossible to predict at a draft, hard to quantify with math, but old men know things and sometimes they speak from their heart (instead of some preprogrammed corporate message).

Then, almost off the script from Lowetide’s media industry post yesterday, the hungry go nuts with limited information and another internet meme is born. All because Bob is really a hockey fan and happened to have a “kids these days” moment on live tv.

I’ll be the last to know if Eberle has a Jerry Rice ability to keep sharp, despite the paycheques. Its clear he has hockey skills, however a draft interview conducted by a NHL veteran / high school drop out (KLo) hardly could provide conclusive evidence about any player’s ability to manage either statistical losses or an influx of giant amounts of money.

Success at a young age. Its just so hard to stay hungry.

148. Kmart99 says:

Players go through slumps. Nuge had the flu. His season is still on track. He’s pacing towards 58pts. Which would be a career high.

Slumps and hot streaks are amplified at the beginning of the season, just like wins and losses. Ebs and Nuge have had cold streaks like this before. It’s clear neither one is playing at their regular level right now, and I suspect once they are back to 100% this trade talk will be over.

Now, about that bottom six. My goodness.

stevezie: What about Bob Nicholson?

What about Bob?

“I’m sailing!!!!”

“I’m sailing!!!’

“I sail!!!”

150. stevezie says:

Woodguy,

You win this round.

Baby steps…

151. Ice Sage says:

Trading players scares me… what if the Oilers drop in the standings?

152. Water Fire says:

Lowetide: Lowet

I was thinking last night, what qualifications does Nicholson have to run an NHL team? His words have far less effect on guys with guaranteed millions than kids desperate to play on his team

153. Water Fire says:

square_wheels: wheels

154. smellyglove says:

I’ll never understand the devotion of this site’s residents to players of yet another last place team.

If you can make a trade that improves the team, you do it. Even if full value isn’t derived, a trade that improves the depth or overall dynamic of the Oilers is much needed. Everyone should be on the block save for McDavid.

Obviously, this current squad will never get it done, will never make the playoffs.

Do you know that next season Taylor Hall, face of the franchise–that #1 OV pick that was heralded at the time as the core building block of a rebuilding team–will be entering his SEVENTH NHL season?

Wake up people! The Oilers have been tweaking at the margins and dancing around this top six for over half a decade and the result is the same year in and year out.

I could go back to the 1/3rd of a season mark in 2014, 2013, etc. and the same discussions would be manifest here: “The results aren’t there but the underlying numbers of the team are improving, individual players are taking steps, or are poised to take steps forward.” That’s not consensus, but its the overarching sentiment here year after year.

It’s the same darn collective narrative from this blog and group of posters every time–“Keep your powder dry… young players will progress by next summer and a few key UFA signings will put the Oilers over the top [to improvement or reach the playoffs]”. LT’s site has some of the smartest sports posters on the internet but I do believe that the media in Edmonton along with the Oilers organization has perpetuated a fetish for all of these young, skilled players that have arrived in the first round of the draft–like they’re saviors and the antidote to EDM’s failure to develop or sign excellent players or manage competently.

I’m not saying that making a trade for the sake of making a trade is a good idea, nor am I laying this clusterfuck at the feet of PC, but dear lord… you will not build a competitive team in this era’s NHL with a philosophy of having a group of four or five elite offensive players in your top 6, and little else.

155. GCW_69 says:

Water Fire: Hamonic for Klef is sideways at best. He is not clearly better at all, or much different, and older.

I agree. A trade with the islanders likely is a three way trade, or a blockbuster where bigger names are going out and more than Hamonic coming back.

But, maybe Eberle to Jersey, Larsson or Seversson to the islanders, and Hamonic to Edmonton.

156. stevezie says:

GCW_69,

I don’t think it is Ebs, but the first that’s going to be the key in a three way. If it happens.

157. Really? says:

Most posters and the MSM are obsessed with the thought of “winning a trade”.

How d you measure that? Points scored? Pretty tough when the trade is a winger for a D Man.

The real key is that the asset(s) ACQUIRED MUST FILL A NEED AND MAKE THE TEAM BETTER. Also, for a trade to be a good one, both parties (teams) have to benefit from it.

Don’t forget, players are assets for management to use to build a better team. We all have a tendency to become emotionally invested in players that play for our team, whether it be positively (Nuge, Eberle etc.) or whether it be negatively (Schultz, Ference, Yakupov etc.).

As for Oilers management they are much more than emotionally invested in the Oilers. Don’t forget, their livelihood depends on successfully addressing the trade options presented to them. They are not going to purposely screw up.,

158. Pechetr says:

Kmart99,

If this team does not get bigger, stronger and grow a spine, Connor Mcdavid will return just long enough to get crushed again. Teams will target him because he is the engine and they know the Oilers will not respond.

Think about it for a second……NO ONE on this team except maybe Gryba and Hendricks will stand up for a player.

NO ONE can win a puck battle, NO ONE goes to the net. NO ONE sticks up for their team mates. Has been that way for 5+ years and 5+ coaches. Time to change the core, because this one is broken.

159. Oilers Shakeup Brewing? - The Oilers Rig says:

[…] Bob Nicholson ”Patience is running out, Peter will do what is right. We’re not going to put anyone up on the block just to make a trade, but if we feel a trade is right for us, especially long term, Peter has the right and will make that deal.” (via Lowetide’s blog)  […]

160. rickithebear says:

Kmart99:
    Players go through slumps.Nuge had the flu.His season is still on track.He’s pacing towards 58pts.Which would be a career high.

Slumps and hot streaks are amplified at the beginning of the season, just like wins and losses.Ebs and Nuge have had cold streaks like this before.It’s clear neither one is playing at their regular level right now, and I suspect once they are back to 100% this trade talk will be over.

Now, about that bottom six.My goodness.

RNH 20 games
    6G 9A 15P +3
    .300 GPG .750 PPG +.15 GDPG
    last 4 games
    0G 2A 2P -8
    Showed reduced mobility in last 4 !

He was

#14 RNH .375 – .152
    #14 J. Staal .375 – .058
    You are bang on!

161. rickithebear says:

Pechetr:
    Kmart99,

The most important thing about the Clarke, Leach, Stoughon flin flon bombers violence was?
    Drive the net!
    Defend the net!
    You want F………… tough.

Look at Players with strong Box penetration
    and
    those that defend the box.

Taking a run at a player is not tough
    and
    any idiot can throw a punch.

Lok at a guy like T. Domi
    Linger and fight.
    almost zero net drive!
    A total chicken shit!

162. rickithebear says:

sliderule:
    When leaves ran Klefbom and he didn’t respond I thought Oh Oh.

Bruins were famous for the scrums ,face washes and push back.

Oilers roll over.

That has to change

Are you clueless?

We scrummed when Hendricks first showed up.
    It was beautiful!
    Like a pack of wolves taking down a Fawn.
    but the oilers were the ones being sent to the box in front of ops net and ours.
    In your D zone the other team should go!
    hint #1 from league!
    “Do not respond just take it.”

Hall got run from behind and goes to refs.
    Gets unsporstman like.
    He matures!
    Gets run.
    Takes a Number.
    Runs that player
    Gets sent to the box!
    Hint #2 from league.
    “Do not respond just take it!”

RNH skating gets punched to back of head in TO.
    drops to knees.