NORTHERN LIGHTS

It was 80s night at Rexall last night, a wild and crazy time. Everyone but Kool and the Gang got the call, the goal-scorers were hungry like the wolf and that damn puck had eyes without a face. Wow.

LUCKY STAR, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2014: 4-5-1
  • Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0
  • Oilers in November 2014: 2-9-3
  • Oilers in November 2015: 4-7-2
  • Oilers in December 2014: 2-8-4
  • Oilers in December 2015: 5-0-0
  • Oilers after 30 in 2014-15: 7-18-5, 19 points (-43 GD)
  • Oilers after 30 in 2015-16: 13-15-2, 28 points (-8 GD)

This 5-0 run has been a great time for Oilers fans and if we are honest, this moment—right now—could be the high mark of the season. A four game road trip, an injured Klefbom, and a Nilsson who had some holes last night, all of those things could mean down beat in the days leading up to Christmas. That said, this team is not playing air tight defense or anything so there is still room for improvement. A 2-2 road trip is a reasonable line in the sand based on how well things are going, fair?

standings

Only one team is out of sight, in what is clearly an addled division. Edmonton has played too many games (everyone but Vancouver has games in hand) but they are in it and No. 23 overall. The goal differential, minus 8, is No. 4 in the division. The Oilers lead the division in goals. !!!! .

DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT

oilers blue nov 30

The Klefbom injury really puts the blue in this blue line. Niki Nikitin will probably draw in, they may also split up Nurse-Sekera but we will see. Damn shame about the injury, because Klefbom absolutely posted a stunning evening and Schultz along with him. Fabulous results for both men, when together. Schultz with Klefbom last night 5×5: 20-1; without 4-10.

Nurse-Sekera played the Brassard-Nash line most of the time and it was tough sledding. Nurse had a goal and was plus two on the evening, so the Corgi’s will once again go unnoticed but this pairing is getting ripped by the opposition’s best.  McLellan wants this pairing, implying the other pairings are the weakerthans. Suspect the road trip will be an adventure for all.

Davidson-Gryba did not play against the feature lines much (Davidson was strong against Zuccarello) and they should have had better numbers, but this was a 1980s game and honestly I cannot tell you why or how Davidson went 0-7 against Fast. It was not the big part of the game, but I think Davidson may be playing in exactly that Monday in Boston.

Final item: Notice the time-on-ice from Nurse. He and Sekera, at evens, played an outrageous line (mostly) and came out the other side. He is 20.

CENTERS LAST NIGHT

oil c nov 30

Leon Draisaitl is Paul Bunyan, with a strick the size of a tree and hands by Charmin. Good LORD what a play on the winner, two really, the deft chip past the defenseman and then pass to Hall for the cash. What an incredible hockey player. Heilige Scheiße, he is good.

Anton Lander is now being trolled by the Gods, posting reasonable numbers and yet getting nothing close to useful offense. When his blue moon turns to gold again, he may carry this team for a week (not really, but it feels like it). Mark Letestu was part of the Lauri Korpikoski Project, grabbed an assist and ended +2.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and his line battled against the other Bunyan and his freak center Brassard. That is a tough chore and they were soundly punished (Nuge -3, and 4-11 against Nash) unless playing softer comp (9-6 against Zuccarello). This line needs Pouliot back.

WINGERS, LAST NIGHT

oilers f nov 30

I can understand why Edmonton will trade Teddy Purcell, but how tempting is it to see if there is some interest at a lesser rate? Taylor Hall is now top five in scoring and is bitch slapping the river. This is insane.

Matt Hendricks and Lauri Korpikoski were on a line with Mark Letestu and they were the freakers at the freaker’s ball all night long. Honestly, this is one of those nights where life is going to make everything easy, and Korpikoski cashed three for the first time in his career. Credit where due, he scored two goals from high traffic areas and made me think of Lumley. Damn Finns, you cannot stay mad at them!

I thought Luke Gazdic and Iiro Pakarinen looked good in places, although they played in the parts of the game where there coaches were allowing the primary players to catch their breath.

Jordan Eberle and Jujhar Khaira were up against it with Nuge on a tough line (Letestu chipped in a little too). This trio needs Pouliot back, and then Khaira may push someone else out. Could we see Gazdic sent down?

It was like Montana to Rice, the world knew where it was going, but the world could not stop it, only stand and witness greatness. That is textbook fabulous.

klefbom capture 1

Oscar Klefbom is 107 games into his NHL career and the Edmonton Oilers rely on him like he is at the 500-game plateau.

This will be the major point of discussion all day (how to deploy the defense), so it is a good idea to start with the coach. Who does he trust? EV TOI by McLellan:

1. Darnell Nurse 18:56
  2. Oscar Klefbom 17:21 (injured)
  3. Andrej Sekera 17:09
  4. Justin Schultz 16:19
  5. Eric Gryba 15:54
  6. Brandon Davidson 15:23
  7. Andrew Ference 11:51 (injured)
  8. Nikita Nikitin

If Klefbom cannot play on the trip:

• Nurse—Sekera
  • Davidson—Schultz
  • Nikitin—Gryba

If I had a vote:

• Sekera—Fayne
  • Nurse—Schultz
  • Davidson—Gryba

General Managers are always stubborn about their players, so do not discount the possibility of a GR recall. He is 3GP, 0-2-2 +2 on the farm and could be the choice by management.

Good for Ben Scrivens, glad to see it. The Oilers have gone from no goalies to one, and need to find out about Cam Talbot, let alone Ben Scrivens. One would hope the team gets some value back for some of these goalie bets, but at this point I will settle for Scrivens getting his career back on track.

I ranked Bear No. 9 among Oilers prospects this winter, wrote about him here. Edmonton spends a lot of assets on WHL kids, including Eberle, Nuge and Leon, would be nice to get a good one from the lower portions of the draft (to add to Brandon Davidson).

167 Responses to "NORTHERN LIGHTS"

1. One-Timer says:

“…and is bitch slapping the river.”

That might be the greatest mixed metaphor ever written.
    Congratulations LT!

2. Pouzar says:

#9?

Who do you hate Ethan Bear?

3. Clarkenstein says:

Good work this morning LT! Lots of good info. 3 pts on the road trip would be fine with me.

4. NBOilerGuy says:

I lost count of how many times I watched that Drai move at the blue line.

5. Pouzar says:

NBOilerGuy:
    I lost count of how many times I watched that Drai move at the blue line.

I still don’t know how he did it.

F^ck I love Rom!

6. Mr DeBakey says:

Davidson’s ES Fenwicks were at 80% after 2.
    Looks like he had a couple of shifts with Nugent/Eberle in the 3rd that went badly.
    [I didn’t see the 3rd]

Last 5 games – 2 Wins, 3 Ties, 3BPs
    An exciting time

7. Marc says:

Lowetide: Heilige Scheiße, he is good.

Love it!!

There are strange things done in the midnight sun
    By the men who moil for goals;
    The Rexall trails have their secret tales
    That would make your blood run cold;
    The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,
    But the queerest they ever did behold
    Was that night Nilsson sank while they chased out King Hank
    and a Korpse scored 3 goals.

9. Marc says:

Woodguy:
    There are strange things done in the midnight sun By the men who moil for goals;
    The Rexall trails have their secret tales That would make your blood run cold;
    The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, But the queerest they ever did behold
    Was that night Nilsson sank while they chased out King Hank and a Korpse scored 3 goals.

This is going to be an epic thread.

10. Water Fire says:

Woodguy:
    The Rexall trails have their secret tales That would make your blood run cold;
    Was that night Nilsson sank while they chased a King named Hank and a Korpse scored 3 goals.

Brilliant.

11. leadfarmer says:

Hall is second in the league in +/- and Drai is in top 10. Pretty impressive considering the team is a net negative in goals.

12. Water Fire says:

Forgive me for jumping back to the boozieness so early, but the Purple Onion. OMG. You went there LT? The neighbourhood kids lived there once we could find a way in. What a nasty little place, the tequila was an guaranteed migraine. I’ll be done now sorry and thanks.

13. Water Fire says:

There couldn’t have been a more fitting game to honour Sather. Crazy skills, sloppy D, weak tending, Oilers coming hard. Bet he was pissed.

14. v4ance says:

Reporters are now starting to give credit to Taylor Hall for being an elite player. It’s all bullshit. He was elite last year. They just didn’t recognize it. The narrative was that because the Oilers were a losing team, Hall wasn’t a great payer. He and Draisaitl are literally dragging this Oilers team to wins with their offence. Nilsson was a huge part of the previous 4 wins but last night was all Hallsy.

Remember the discussion about 7 games ago bemoaning the fact there wasn’t any secondary scoring?

Thinking of Fayne, I remembered that he was tangentially included in trade rumors w.r.t. Hamonic. I remembered declaring that there was no way that Garth Snow was responsible for the leak of Hamonic’s trade request and was somewhat derided for that stance. I couldn’t verbalize my logic to defend my assertion til now but I think I’ve got a handle on it.

If Snow wanted the news of Hamonic’s trade request to come out to increase pressure on other GMs to make a trade, why go on such a roundabout path. Why leak it first one day, letting all the rampant speculation run wild and then hold a press conference the very next day to reveal all the details to calm the same storm that he supposedly created. If he wanted the news out in the open, why not just get ahead of the impending PR storm and control the story by holding the press conference when he was prepared.

To me, it’s more logical to assume someone else leaked the story to put pressure on Snow to make a deal. The unscheduled and impromptu press conference the next day was damage control from Snow to relieve that pressure on the Isles organization by revealing everything so no more rumors flew around and distracted his team.

Water Fire:

Radio is a funny business, you end up in a lot of places. 🙂

16. One-Timer says:

leadfarmer:

And the Saddle is 4th in Pts/game, just ahead of his winger.

17. böök¡je says:

Woodguy:
    The Rexall trails have their secret tales That would make your blood run cold;

Clap clap clap

Well done, Steve Smith!

18. Stud Muffin says:

Sekera and Nurse are passing the eye test IMO. Don’t trust the Unicorn numbers here.

19. v4ance says:

Water Fire,

Speaking of Sather, did anyone else groan when they saw the replay of him doing a slight fist pump at Nash’s goal and then giggle with delight like little girls at his stunned look when Hall scored right after?

Then at the end, there was a slightly bemused look like, “well my FAVORITE didn’t win but my second favorite child won?”

20. theres oil in virginia says:

Pouzar: I still don’t know how he did it.

F^ck I love Rom!

Rom didn’t draft him.

21. theres oil in virginia says:

I hope not. They finally got him where he needs to be, and he needs to stay there until ready.

22. boneshj says:

I know it’s an old, forgotten and dismissed stat but Hall is 2nd in +/- in the NHL

23. Really? says:

The toughest part of all of this is to try to imagine what the team’s potential is once McDavid returns.

Both Draisaitl and Hall are playing fabulous hockey right now. The “Toddler” has chosen to match the RNH line with the oppositions number 1 line while on this home stand and this has paved the way somewhat for Hall and Draisaitl. The story may change on the road as the opposition will have control of the match ups. This does, however, illustrate the value of RNH and his dogged defensive play.

This also begins to show us how valuable McDavid will be once he returns. The match up problems for other teams will be horrendous and on any given night any one of the three lines may be the beneficiary of lower quality opposition.

As always, patience is required but at least we are seeing progress this year.

24. Ice Sage says:

Woodguy:
    The Rexall trails have their secret tales That would make your blood run cold;

Woodguy – that is a Masterpiece – did you write that in the Library?

25. theres oil in virginia says:

So Purcell finally shows some jam, and the asshole refs cough their whistles back up and call a one-sided penalty. What a crock.

Gazdic looked pretty good for much of the game (I bet nobody noticed the back and forth passing as he and ?Lander? moved up ice). Somewhere along the line, he started thinking too slow and started giving up the puck at mid-ice, twice on one shift. He needs to be more assertive, without being over-confident. There are skills there, but I don’t know if he can make it at this level. The clock is ticking. I don’t think they’ll send him down – someone will get hurt before that becomes necessary.

26. Kmart99 says:

Nilsson needs a break and Talbot needs to play solid when the opportunity is presented.

So frikkin happy right now.

I know TMac was complaining about the defense, and he was right, but didn’t that just shine a light in how valuable KBomb is to this team right now. The Oilers were crushing, no, Bombing last year’s cup finalists with KBomb on the ice. This injury is going to hurt the team in a big way. Hopefully it’s no longer than two weeks.

As for NN drawing in, I don’t see that as being the right choice. GR is ahead of NN, TCAF, and Gryba by my eye and if it weren’t for all the waiver eligibility he might even be in a tie with Davidson. If Klef is out, I’d call up Griff and leave the double agent out.

Also, my wife spoke with Connor’s doctor, and he said “…even though he’s healing ahead of schedule, I won’t be clearing him early.”

By my estimation, that makes 10 weeks the minimum, and 12 weeks the likely, not 7-8. I wouldn’t post this if I married someone I didn’t trust :). It is 100% true, right from his mouth to my wife’s ear.

Seems smart. After seeing Romo come back after 7 weeks and breaking his collarbone right away, I’d rather wait the full 12 weeks. Even if he seems to be healing ahead of schedule

27. flyfish1168 says:

There was many phlegm freaks that believed we made a mistake taking Leon over Sam who. Sam was ranked higher than Leon in there draft year but Leon is proving them wrong.

If they don’t have Klef then 1-2-1 is more reasonable.

COL on Saturday is only spot where they might be the favorite.

Oilers’ 5v5 shots during 5 game win streak with and without Klef

With Klef 61-47
    Without 63-99

He’s kinda important.

Ice Sage: Woodguy – that is a Masterpiece – did you write that in the Library?

That’s where I plagiarized it, yes.

30. Really? says:

v4ance,

I fully agree that Hall is an elite level talent. What impresses me however is the contribution being made by Draisaitl. At this point in his career he is looking to be exceptionally poised and confident with the puck and his passing is other worldly.

This is a pairing that has chemistry and when McDavid returns and takes some pressure off them it will be a crazy ride.

v4ance:
    Water Fire,

I saw that, and laughed. One of Sather’s strongest points is that he contested everything. Made him a very good penalty killer and a mammoth GM.

32. jonrmcleod says:

We complain a lot about the MacT era–and rightly so–but he was the GM for the two non-first overall drafts and came away with Nurse and Draisaitl. Not bad, MacT.

33. stephen sheps says:

Woodguy: That’s where I plagiarized it, yes.

I thought it was a Hudson’s now.

34. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

With Nurse he has a tendency to start puck watching/chasing. We saw it last night on the Brassard goal and it happened with the Pavelski goal against San Jose. Yes there is some chaos but i think I can see TMac’s logic in running Nurse and Sekera.

I honestly think TMac believes he has his 1 (Nurse) and 2(Klefbom) Dmen (note this does not mean Chia wouldn’t like to add a piece if things make sense after all say the 2008 Red Wings ran a D that included Kronwall, Rafalski, Lidstrom). Since this is the case he’s very willing to let both of those men make mistakes as long as they are the right kinds of mistakes. Nurse puck watches yes but every rookie that has ever played puck watches. Mental error yes but correctable in very short order. On the flip side Nurse has played the exact style that TMac has been advocating and he has been doing it against the 1/2 lines of other teams. Unless Nurse starts making critical style of play errors (ala Fayne) I don’t think we’ll see him move along that depth chart. Would love them to give him a shot on the PP to be honest.

I’m very curious to see Double Agent. The fancy stats on him betrayed the eye test a bit last year and I wonder if he’s gained some confidence (and humility) playing in the A this year.

Taylor Hall is a marvelous hockey player a true treat to watch. Anyone who watched the WHL playoffs/Memorial Cup last year knows Drai has picked up right where he left off. Excellent play so far this year.

Oh and there is that McDavid kid too!

Is dawn finally upon us?

35. Bootstrap Effexor says:

Woodguy: and a Korpse scored 3 goals.

Nice flesh.

For tone and meter I might have tried “and a Korpse crowed three fold” or something to complete “and thrice a Korpse … “.

Hmmmm. “Struck gold” kinda does it, without adding much twist.

Usually I lean to twist FTW! but you can’t always have good things.

In other news, I passed on the game last night to watch The Fabulous Baker Boys. Too much work these days, not enough films.

Man, what a weird pic.

I don’t know whether it was the screenwriter or the director or the actors, but someone smuggled a Brian de Palma security blanket onto the set. I can see it now, in the grocery store right beside Newman’s Own Ragu sauce, a can of Brian De Palma Cliche Alphaghetti. If the 1980s had an Alphaghetti dog, it was most certainly Brian De Palma.

Anyways, I bring this up only because of the awesome double-facepalm sighting during the Rome Must Fall! Egghead-absence sequence. (Rome making a cameo appearance as Michele Pfeiffer’s underpants.)

As I’m sure you can all guess, Rome didn’t fall in a day. The dusty crumble finally becomes a crack with an epic double-facepalm dither to grease the skids as “back-to-back they faced each other” on the balcony under the astral breeze[*], as we soft shoe our way into the pillow-Palma cliche:

hands by Charmin ain’t so charmin’
    after the flush

There were, however, some adequate compensations.

All of those qualities are here in this movie, and so is the “Makin’ Whoopee” number, which I can only praise by adding it to a short list: Whatever she’s doing while she performs that song isn’t merely singing; it’s whatever Rita Hayworth did in “Gilda” and Marilyn Monroe did in “Some Like It Hot,” and I didn’t want her to stop.

Edit: various rusty revisitations

[*] mixed metaphor FTW! in the sad category of going slightly “slightly too far” too far

36. Kmart99 says:

jonrmcleod:

Yessir. I’m glad he ignored my (and others’) cries for SamBennett and Nichushkin.

I’d still be happy with those two, but I’m over the moon for Drai and Nurse.

37. Water Fire says:

theres oil in virginia:
    So Purcell finally shows some jam, and the asshole refs cough their whistles back up and call a one-sided penalty.What a crock.

Gazdic looked pretty good for much of the game (I bet nobody noticed the back and forth passing as he and ?Lander? moved up ice).Somewhere along the line, he started thinking too slow and started giving up the puck at mid-ice, twice on one shift.He needs to be more assertive, without being over-confident.There are skills there, but I don’t know if he can make it at this level.The clock is ticking.I don’t think they’ll send him down – someone will get hurt before that becomes necessary.

Gazzer isn’t a good fit. I hope if another player with size will man up and drop them with Khaira and Nurse they’ll move Gazzer down or trade him.

He’s not going to jump anyone (although it would have been fitting for 80’s night yesterday), regular players won’t fight him much anyway and they are the ones that cause the problems. A shame to waste a roster spot when there are far better players in the system for 5 minutes of that.

38. Adam Wu says:

Mr DeBakey:
    Davidson’s ES Fenwicks were at 80% after 2.
    [I didn’t see the 3rd]

Last 5 games – 2 Wins, 3 Ties, 3BPs
    An exciting time

Only 1 BP. An overtime win is not a Bettman Point. Teams got the same 2 points for scoring in overtime both before and after Bettman.

Bettman points are for shootout wins and overtime losses.

39. Lucinius says:

Good game last night.. since we won. Would have been very painful if they had managed to lose. Nice to see the team give the goalie the goal support on a night he didn’t play stellar.

Also, Penguins fired their coach (and an assistant), making Mike Sullivan their interim coach. That team has been a disaster this season, considering they have a healthy Malkin and Crosby.

40. Mr DeBakey says:

stephen sheps:
    Penguins fire Mike Johnston, Mike Sullivan new HC

A tie with a Top-5 team was the final straw for Penguins management

“It was the way we were tying games, explains Rutherford”

41. Mr DeBakey says:

Adam Wu: Only 1 BP. An overtime win is not a Bettman Point.

I call ’em Bonus Points
    [for excelling at Pond Hockey]

42. bk says:

Kmart99,

Kmart99,

So you’re saying anyone can just go ask Connors Doctor about his private medical info and he’ll tell you? That’s interesting

43. mujidog says:

WTF did Leon do on the game winner?

I’ve watched it frame-by-frame a dozen times and I still don’t know how he spinorama’ed his way to spring a a 2-on-1.

He’s skating backwards with the puck to his left. He doesn’t have control of the puck. As Jarret Stoll closes in on him, he spins to his right, and springs himself forward in one fluid move. That spin move SHOULD distract him for a split second and he SHOULD not be able to control where the puck goes as he spins (remember, he didn’t even have control of the puck when he started spinning!)… but lo and behold, he’s in full control of the puck now and the rest is history.

I just don’t get it.

The only way this play works is:
    – Teddy chips the puck towards him and Stoll
    – Leon is facing backwards to retrieve the puck
    – Leon tips the puck and makes a BACKWARDS PASS TO HIMSELF
    – After passing to himself, he spins around and guns it in one fluid motion; that both confuses Stoll and leaves him in Leon’s dust
    – Leon is now clear of Stoll and his BACKWARDS PASS TO HIMSELF was right on his tape, thereby creating a 2-on-1 with Hall
    – Oh, and of course he saucers it over to Taylor for the game winner 56 seconds after the NYR tied the game and with less than 2 minutes left in regulation

It’s a crazy move. I’ve never seen anything like it before. Honestly, this is the stuff I was expecting to see from McDavid this year. He hasn’t disappointed and we have seen crazy stuff from him. But I wasn’t expecting it from Leon too.

stephen sheps: I thought it was a Hudson’s now.

I wrote it years ago.

Finally became applicable.

45. Sugar Reijo says:

Water Fire:

And don’t forget a hat trick from a Fin.

Offensive players not winning with rookie coach and meh Dmen:

in PIT:MEDIA: “ABOUT TIME THEY FIRED THE COACH”

in EDM:MEDIA:”CORE IS ROTTEN. HALL EMBODIES A LOSING CULTURE!”

47. Water Fire says:

stephen sheps:
    Penguins fire Mike Johnston, Mike Sullivan new HC

He looked pretty tense on the bench last night.

48. Adam Wu says:

v4ance:

Thinking of Fayne, I remembered that he was tangentially included in trade rumors w.r.t. Hamonic.I remembered declaring that there was no way that Garth Snow was responsible for the leak of Hamonic’s trade request and was somewhat derided for that stance.I couldn’t verbalize my logic to defend my assertion til now but I think I’ve got a handle on it….

I have another possible theory about this.

Prior to the news about Hamonic’s request list, Snow could have been talking to other teams as well, as a way of applying negotiating pressure to the teams that were on that list. If someone associated with one of those teams got wind of the fact that they were not actually on Hamonic’s list and therefore not really in contention, and were just being used as a negotiating tactic, they might have leaked the info in retaliation.

49. speeds says:

Woodguy:

Oilers’ 5v5 shots during 5 game win streak with and without Klef

With Klef 61-47
    Without 63-99

He’s kinda important.

Are there any F’s he’s spent a ton of TOI with over that 5 game stretch?

50. stephen sheps says:

Woodguy,

well that’s even better!

51. Seymore says:

I was at the game last night and took great pleasure in watching Lundqvist get pulled. Justice after dissing the Oilers the last time he got a shutout here and said he shouldn’t get credit for such an easy win.

Tmac is a great coach and has really turned the structure around in a positive way. However, there are 2 glaring problems that need to be addressed. Eberle is VERY bad in the defensive end, and not just this game. Any scouting report should have you dumping it in to Eberle’s side, he rarely gets it out. His battles along the boards are poor at best. He may not be aware of it but he is playing scared along the boards. He is focused on not getting hurt instead of winning the puck battle and the results prove it. A different breakout play has to be utilized when he is in the defensive zone. (don’t put it on the boards on Eberle’s side.)

Justin Schultz is a bust, his passes are 50/50 and some peewees have better shots. Defensively he is bad and he is not that good offensively in the NHL. I would rather see Davidson, Klefbom and Nurse on the PP than Schultz. Shultz and Eberle on EV against a heavy checking line is a DISASTER and should not happen.

I love Eberle and want to keep him, he is gold in the shootouts. He needs some serious defensive boardwork practice.

Schultz is a bust, plain and simple. At least he was a free asset and that’s the way he is likely to go at the end of this year.

Water Fire: He looked pretty tense on the bench last night.

That was never a fit that looked like it would work

53. One-Timer says:

theres oil in virginia: Rom didn’t draft him.

Yes he did.

Edit: …or maybe I read this blog too much?

54. stevezie says:

stephen sheps,

I think the only reason he held onto the job this long is they were hoping Boudreau would shake loose.

I was hoping it anyway, I would love to see him behind the wheel of a sportscar again

55. stephen sheps says:

Mr DeBakey: A tie with a Top-5 team was the final straw for Penguins management

“It was the way we were tying games, explains Rutherford”

Water Fire: He looked pretty tense on the bench last night.

honestly, I don’t overly care that much about the Pens, but it was hockey news so it seemed worth bringing up. Johnston never seemed like a smart fit, thought he was a reach when he was hired. I just don’t think I ever really expected the coach of the pens to be axed mid-season.

stevezie:
    stephen sheps,

Agreed, that would be fun to watch, but Boudreau has a better, deeper team to work with in Anaheim. The ducks will eventually fly together with a bit more consistency. Their lack of scoring is just bizarre.

56. Kmart99 says:

bk:
    Kmart99,

Kmart99,

So you’re saying anyone can just go ask Connors Doctor about his private medical info and he’ll tell you?That’s interesting

1) Not just anybody, a coworker
    2) The 10-12 weeks was already public knowledge, so by saying he’s not going to clear him early, he’s not really breaking any rules
    3) While patient info is supposed to be lock and key, I’ve always known Drs and Nurses who share stories that include names. It’s easy to ask him to never talk about it, but it’s not easy to just keep your mouth 100% shut around coworkers you think you can trust. Blame my wife for blabbin to me, blame me for blabbing on here, whatever, I wouldn’t post it if it weren’t true. In hindsight, it was a waste of time to post it either way.

57. Sugar Reijo says:

mujidog:
    WTF did Leon do on the game winner?

I’m convinced it was mostly illusion.

Am looking forward to watching him make the Statue of Liberty disappear on this road trip.

58. russ99 says:

Hope Klef comes back soon, I know I rag on the guy, but we’re a better team with than without him.

Is the break on his non-stick hand? If not, he’ll be back sooner.

We all know he’s not suited to play a traditional point, but he has good entry passes and maybe McLellan will move away from our D playing a stationary game on the PP at some point which is where his value lies.

BTW we scored on one of those powerplays that Schultz was on the ice for.

59. Магия 10 says:

bk:
    Kmart99,

Kmart99,

Try it with any doctor. They’ll go way out on a limb with the shocking revelation that they don’t clear anyone early. Of course the date when they clear them on time may in fact arrive early.

60. ruotsalainen says:

Pouzar: I still don’t know how he did it.

F^ck I love Rom!

This. I continue to watch it, but for the life of me can’t understand how he did it. Scary thing is he meant to do it.

61. Kmart99 says:

We finally have our third line center in RNH! Woohoo!

russ99:

From my post:

Damn shame about the injury, because Klefbom absolutely posted a stunning evening and Schultz along with him. Fabulous results for both men.

Schultz with Klefbom last night 5×5: 20-1
    without 4-10

source: War on Ice.

63. Johnny Larue says:

Was at the game last night with my son . What a night the cops escorted the guy next to us out . 12 goals were scored in the game. I told my son this was just like a normal game when I was his age. Also I had forgotten about the wonderful PO and there 1 buck drink nights on Wednesdays what a shit show that was good times. I am hoping with this team some of the younger fans get the same type of experiences us oldsters went through in the 80’s with the Oilers

64. One-Timer says:

mujidog,

On about half of his helpers this year, Leon has deserved two assists. But rules are rules.

65. Water Fire says:

Lowetide: That was never a fit that looked like it would work

Watching the part of the game that I did I was thinking his systems aren’t right for the talent he has. If Crosby isn’t productive over time you aren’t doing it right.

When you have two of the best centres in the workd in their primes you design everything to maximize that, and whatever your D can manage reasonably well. And you find a goalie. Or something. Definitely square pegs.

66. Adam Wu says:

mujidog:
    WTF did Leon do on the game winner?

I just don’t get it.

The only way this play works is:
    – Teddy chips the puck towards him and Stoll
    – Leon is facing backwards to retrieve the puck
    – Leon tips the puck and makes a BACKWARDS PASS TO HIMSELF

There’s also the possibility that, with the brashness of Youth, Drai attempted an incredibly low percentage play, and got lucky this one time. Like they say, ya gotta be lucky to be good sometimes.

67. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

So I was wrong about Hall in the post below. He is going to put up 90 points all on his own without McDavid.
    Taylor Hall is a career -8. The Oilers since they drafted him have a -268 goal differential. Yes, he has missed games, and this isn’t their even strength goal differential, but let’s let that sink in for a bit.

September 6, 2015 at 10:18 am
    NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    Anyone think this could be the best thing to happen to Hall? I’m hoping Hall will be available when my turn comes in my fantasy draft.I’d consider taking him as high as #2 or #3 overall this year, in all honesty.That’s a roundabout way of saying: Hall is tired of losing. He goes to Roberts’ camp with McDavid. He takes the boy wonder under his wing. Is super responsible and focused,puts up 90 points on Connor’s wing.

68. Seymore says:

Schultz had nothing to contribute to the PP goal. Sekera broke it out of the zone which enabled the frenzy in front of the net. There was one dump in that was particularly bad where Schultz was there first, was checked, fell down and then a scoring chance quickly ensued. An NHL defenseman, especially one who is on the PP should be a better passer. Watch ANY game with Schultz and he often cannot deliver a tape to tape pass. Defense 101, the very first attribute any scout looks for is a defenseman’s ability to make a good first pass. Schultz doesn’t have it at the NHL level.

69. Pouzar says:

russ99: Schultz was not responsible for any goals against and still you idiots rag on him. We’ve won 5 in a row and he played a good game. Give it a rest. Who will you guys rag on when he’s gone?

We’ll see now what he’s got with Klefbom out.

70. Bruce McCurdy says:

boneshj:

Bah! Outscoring is overrated!

71. Adam Wu says:

MacT’s ability to identify and draft talent was always above average. He picked Drai, Nurse, swung the deal for Yak2 and Slepy, and grabbed Chase with a late pick. That’s an impressive record for 2 years of work.

His ability to identify F talent at the pro level is also decent. He swapped Gagner for Purcell, and obtained Hendricks, Gordon, Pouliot and Perron. I can’t actually think of a single F that he acquired that did not help the team in at least some way.

He was quite unlucky with the Goalie voodoo. When Dubnyk went south, he did a pretty decent job of plugging the hole, and even flipped Khabi for some assets at the draft. But all his reasonable bets after that went south at the same time.

He did not manage the cap very well. He was gifted a lot of cap space and ended wasting a lot of it. And some of the useful F’s he identified he overpaid for.

His oft mentioned failure to assess D is actually only limited to established pro D, as when it comes to young and emerging D, he obtained Nurse, jettisoned Smid just before his value tanked, and was head of the curve on Klefbom, having him ahead of Marincin on the depth chart when most observers around these parts had it the other way round. But the mistakes he made with Ference and Nikitin (and Petry) were massive and gaping.

And of course, for his “boldest” move, he chose the wrong coach, one who was not the right fit for the team he had.

Had he been the rookie GM for another team, he might have succeeded. Too bad for him and all of us that the Oilers’ greatest needs were also his areas of greatest weakness.

72. knighttown says:

So the young fella and I are on the 540 out of Halifax into Boston for the game Monday, Amtrak to NYC on the Tuesday and then the Rags game at MSG. 9th birthday present from the old man.

It’s Phase 2 of Project Brian Swanson.

If you are from an NHL city you probably aren’t aware that kids pick their favourite teams for all sorts of odd reasons and it’s a fathers job to show them the light. Cameron selected the Wild when he was 4 and is still holding fast. He never liked the Oilers and they never gave him any real reason to do so. But in the past year I’m starting to see a bit of a thaw. For grading Day I got him a McDavid jersey (Phase 1 of the Swanson project) and he’s been wearing it to school a bit. He also owns both Hall and Leon in his fantasy draft and is winning it. These things matter to kids.

Should be a memorable couple of days although it was booked with McDavid in mind. I’ve been 1950s dad, being downright hostile about his Wild love. Plenty of shaming, reasoning and ignoring and have reminded him that I’ll never, ever pay for him to see the Wild play but the Oilers on the other hand…

Two good games from the road team and he could be converted for good.

He can sort it all out with the shrink once he hits adulthood.

73. Bootstrap Effexor says:

I have no further time to indulge today, so I’ll just toss out this bone for anyone else to give it a gnaw:

There once was a blog roll
    celebrating doggerel

Yes, it’s pretty much impossible to write “alphaghetti dog” without actually thinking “alphaghetti doggerel” … but there it goes again with that too-much-of-a-too-muchness, having about the same mouthfeel as those old Chef Boyardee Ravioli thrice reheated in a mess-tent microwave oven.

74. v4ance says:

Adam Wu,

That was exactly one of my points that I made as well.

The other candidates that I listed were Hamonic’s agent or one of the actual western Canadian teams in the running.

75. v4ance says:

stephen sheps:
    Penguins fire Mike Johnston, Mike Sullivan new HC

Gotta think that Penguins next move will be to try and improve their d-corps via trade if the coaching doesn’t turn the team north fairly quickly. Should be an opportunity for Chiarelli to make a predatory deal of a vet for a youngish defenceman from the Pens. Hopefully the pain of losing forces Rutherford to make an ill-advised trade!

76. Tarkus says:

If Khaira makes a truckload of money on his next contract, will we be calling him Jujhar Brinks?

77. Pouzar says:

JDï™: I stayed up all night researching the play, and it’s really quite simple.

Leon’s grandfather, Alois, had a third cousin named Hans Kammler. Kammler stayed with Alois’ family for almost two years after Hans’ mother died from the Spanish flu – his father was killed in WWI only a couple of years earlier. They became good friends during this time, as Kammler was really shaken by the passing of his Mother and needed a freund (friend) to distract him from the grief.

Once when the boys were playing eishockey on a small lake, Hans ventured too far to the center and fell through the thinner ice. Alois quickly rescued him from the icy water, but they were far from home and the cold temperatures were quickly robbing Hans of körperwärme.

Alois carried Hans to the shore where the bushes helped to shield them from the breeze, and he then removed most of his own clothes to give to Kammler so that he could recover from losing so much heat.

From that moment on, Kammler felt a lebenslang verschuldet to Alois and his family. After graduating from the Technische Hochschule der Freien Stadt Danzig as a civil engineer, he would often visit the Draisaitl family and bring them food and gifts. As he rose to prominence in the engineering world, Hans was able to afford more and more expensive presents and eventually bought Alois his first automobile, a Daimler-Benz.

During the run-up to WWII, Kammler joined the Waffen-SS and because of his renown as an engineer, was eventually put in charge of one of the most important projects that Nazi Germany ever undertook – the Wunderwaffe project (wonder weapon). Using advanced applications of electromagnetic fields and high energy plasma systems, the German scientists were pioneers in anti-gravity and time travel.

But because of the intense bombing campaigns of the allies, resources for the project became scarce and were often diverted to produce V2 rockets. This may have been Germany’s biggest mistake, and prevented the project from growing past the prototype stage. They had working examples, but nothing that they could put towards the Kriegseinsatz, or war effort.

As Germany lost momentum in the war through the early months of 1945, several top generals in the SS grew concerned that the technology they had developed would fall into the hands of Britain and the USSR. It was decided that they would destroy all but one example from the project, and use that to help the top scientists and engineers to escape to Argentina.

So Kammler and a few others disappeared without a trace just before the war’s end, as did the Wunderwaffe. In a remote village, deep in the Argentine forests, these former Nazi scientists have ensured that their knowledge lives on, and descendants of Kammler and others have spent decades refining and perfecting the technology.

And fortunately for the world, they have remembered the horrors that Europe suffered through during both world wars. They have even renamed the project, from Wunderwaffe to Friedensprojekt – Peace Project, and have vowed that their work will never be used for military, political, or economic gain.

But every now and then, they look in on and help out a freund.

How did I miss something so obvious?

Well Done!

78. Derek says:

This is almost a year ago now, and I like Henrik Lundqvist, but it’s still kind of funny: http://video.rangers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=700263

How do you feel today Henrik?

Bootstrap Effexor:

There once was a blog roll
    celebrating doggerel

You are missed when you are not here to be enjoyed.

NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker",

I put that in a tweet and referenced you.

Hope you don’t mind.

81. flyfish1168 says:

boneshj:

It maybe an old stat but its easy to see what he does with his linemates 5×5.

82. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Woodguy,

Of course I don’t mind. It will come in handy when we trade him and Nuge for OEL.

speeds: Are there any F’s he’s spent a ton of TOI with over that 5 game stretch?

Dammit Mike you’re gonna make me do more squinting at numbers……

(20 minutes later….)

Klef w/o Hall 5v5 shots : 44-34

Klef was 15-4 vs Rags w/o Hall, so:

Klef w/o Hall 4 games previous to Rag game : 29 – 30

Not as dramatic, but still very good.

84. stephen sheps says:

JDï™,

my response, too.

like I said, I know there were zero bad intentions on your part, only funny intentions… it just struck a nerve.

thanks for understanding.

85. admiralmark says:

russ99,

Pouzar: We’ll see now what he’s got with Klefbom out.

I’ve never been more confident in my entire life then right now stating this will not end well. He’s that bad. And he’s been that bad for a long time now. If there ever was a pump and dump plan in the works.. it just got astronomically harder. I predict a 2-8 run out of the next 10 games based solely on the increased reliance on Schultz.

On a side note. Listening to MacT speak at one of Sathers sessions yesterday. I have to say he really is a very convincing speaker. I believe he is an incredibly intelligent man that truly had a good plan in mind. But the talent assessment by himself, Howson, Pro Scouts, Lowe particularly in regards to D men was an unmitigated disaster. 1 very very critical missing element to what might of been an excellent GM.

86. Woogie63 says:

in 30 days, will PC have a 3 scoring line forward unit or will a forward group that is more like we are watching now, 2 scoring lines, a hard to play against grinding third line and a some extra minute munchers?

87. LadiesloveSmid says:

The forecheck on that Nurse goal was something else. I’d probably have screamed if I were a NYR fan, knowing full well HalLeon could not be stopped.

88. Lewis Grant says:

That actually seems like a pretty fair evaluation of MacT. I thought the evidence for firing him was middling at best, although I’m still happy to have Chiarelli instead.

At the time, I was pretty opposed to trading Smid for an Oil King, giving Pouliot $20M, and taking Nurse over Nichushkin. But all of those look pretty good today.

89. flyfish1168 says:

admiralmark:
    russ99,

I agree with you about MacT. Intelligent but trusted and surround himself with the wrong people. Just maybe MacT’s fault is being to loyal to friends.

90. fifthcartel says:

The Klefbom injury really hurts, I guess we get to see Davidson moved up higher in the line up.

Part of me wonder if Chiarelli decides to make a move now on defense since it’s probably easier to make one when you’re not in dead last. If Klefbom is out for any significant time you can’t go with:

Sekera-Nurse
    Davidson-Schultz
    Nikitin-Gryba

Maybe a Wieircioch or someone?

91. OTO says:

In the 1st period after Leon and Stoll battled on a face off , I heard Stoll call Leon a F#$%ing C$##Sucker , nice to see Leon dangle Stoll for the GWG!

92. AsiaOil says:

I will complain about a lot of things related to MacT – but his drafting is one of a small number of things he actually pulled off well. I think he’d actually make a good scouting director. and guy who makes the call on draft day.

jonrmcleod:

Well. That is twice this week the group who comment have impressed me to the point I have to write you. A few years back, when my Mom was very ill, I came home about 10:30 at night and had to delete a bunch of posts.I remember, while doing that, vowing not to allow that to happen again.

So, I put in place some things, one of which you saw this week (telling posters that bullying was not going to be tolerated). As it turned out, didn’t need it. I thank you.

Up above, a comment was made (I did not catch it) was mentioned by another poster as being sensitive and it was deleted.

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

94. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Any Jessica Lange fans here? I just met her last night at a photo party in New Orleans. Still beautiful and very elegant.

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

Beautiful woman. Yes. Fan.

96. Nate780 says:

russ99,

97. speeds says:

Lewis Grant:

At the time, I was pretty opposed to trading Smid for an Oil King, giving Pouliot $20M, and taking Nurse over Nichushkin.But all of those look pretty good today.

Nichushkin had a pretty good rookie year, then essentially missed a year with injury and unless the Oilers had medical info that we don’t know about, not sure how much credit can be given for avoiding an injury post draft. I also think that if EDM wanted a D, a case an be made for the D selected immediately after Nurse, in Ristolainen.

98. ChiliChunk says:

At the time of McDavid’s injury it was difficult to imagine any possible silver lining. But the rise of Drai has been nothing short of phenomenal. Perhaps it would have happened anyway but the opening at centre didn’t hurt.

99. Eastern Oil says:

We are blessed with many classy and incredibly smart posters here LT, but (for the most part as we are passionate fans still) it is the atmosphere you have created that perpetuates it. Thank you.

100. Pouzar says:

speeds: I agree that MacT had more good moves than some seem to acknowldge, however I’m not sure Nurse over Nichushkin looks like one of those (although it may well end up that way).

Really?

Interesting.

It’s Nurse for me and it’s not close. You have have to draft #1 d-men.
    Another winger in that spot? No chance.

101. Tire Fire says:

I see LT is getting bored with with all this not having to delete any comments. Good to see Nate helpin’ out.

Nate780: You say that you rag on Klefbom, then defend Schultz, and ask if it’s Klefs non stick hand then call other people idiots?? Pretty sure that they use both hands on the stick and that you’re the idiot.

102. Tire Fire says:

Seymore: Eberle is VERY bad in the defensive end … He is focused on not getting hurt instead of winning the puck battle and the results prove it.

I don’t think prove means what you think it means.

103. flyfish1168 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

Was a teenager when King kong came out. Still remember her beauty in it.

104. Water Fire says:

admiralmark:
    russ99,

We’ll see about Schultz, I’m think I’d move him but he is making decent defensive reads a lot of the time now. Of course not all of the time, and I think he plays too light for the amount of offense he brings.

I think Lowe and MacT know a lot about hockey. What I pick up is an attitude. It comes across to me as arrogance, as opposed to confidence, which is what Chia and McL come across with to me.

The way Lowe spoke about the ‘banner guys’. It’s the way words are used by them. Another thing is while they spot talent, they also completely ignore things that might make a talented player not play well, namely health issues.

Only they would be surprised a player with congenital bone problems, starting to flame out on other teams, didn’t going to work out. I get the feeling they view players and off rink issues the same way they did when players, through and 80’s lense. It’s a different world now.

It lead to the public venting and character attacks, stream of consciousness media avails, and business foolish decisions on who was contributing what and how to pay them.

Just my 2 cents

105. Nate780 says:

Adam Wu,

I would put his failures at Nikitin, Fasth, Scrivens (ended up being one, was good on arrival) and Eakins

106. Pretendergast says:

Just a side note, the last East team in the cup was Tampa Bay. Picky, I know but I’ve seen a couple comments saying it was Rangs. Carry on

107. G Money says:

Pretendergast:

Good point. I made that mistake (though it was from editing). Correct descriptor would be “Last years Pres Cup winner and Stanley Cup finalist from two years ago”.

108. bendelson says:

What a fantastic night to be at Rexall. That extra hour of drinking made for a lively 3rd period to be sure… What a game!

Good to see my friend Korpi get rewarded. He was overdue for some success and it came in to him in bunches last night. Brilliant.

Hall and Drai: I don’t know what the exact Lowetidian definition of ‘supernova’ is but might I suggest we are looking at a ‘simultaneous supernova’ here folks? To be discussing such a phenomenon without McDavid being in the conversation? Crazy, crazy, crazy.

Posted for accuracy: The Library was a Hudson’s. It is now a Devaney’s.

109. ashley says:

I think Connor fell just short of saying to Gene last night “I’ve felt good for a month now, I’m just waiting for the doctors to tell me I can play”, but thought better of it at the last second.

The timing of Roma’s re-injury is unfortunate and really shouldn’t be used as an excuse to extend McDavid’s injury time because the situations are so very different. Quite literally night and day.

But that’s how this is now going to play out.

110. Mr. D. says:

Stud Muffin,

I’m with ya! The numbers are simply indicators..nothing else
    The eye test (as long as you really know the game) is where it’s at. The other 4 guys on the ice and your competition have a lot to do with your numbers. Put a player with 4 other players and different competition could cause a complete turnaround. So is it about a player or the teammates/competition.

111. North of the Wall says:

Was at the game last night and the atmosphere was just amazing. The place went crazy after Hall scored and that was just after everybody was losing it on the refs for the Purcell penalty.

I don’t get to many games but the great thing is the little details that happen on the ice that the camera doesn’t always catch. One example is Glass went over to Nurse after the wistle to get in his face as Nurse was changing, Next thing you know McLellan sends Gazdic over the boards and he heads right over to Glass. love that.

112. Statsman says:

Our new coach deserves one hell of a lot of credit.

He has joined a new team that hasn’t won dick in the last ten years and has had to endure injuries to some very important players. Still, you can see the improvement in system play and overall attitude in nearly every game.

McLellan is teaching these players to play the “right way”. He knows that if you consistently play the
    “right way” (i.e. no shortcuts, hard work, playing for your teammates, playing with confidence), you will inevitably end up on the right side of the scoresheet most nights.

Our Oilers, with all of their immense talent, are Learning To Win and this is the next step in the evolutiion of a successful team.

113. Woogie63 says:

There was a post a couple of weeks ago about the NHL scouts at a Bakersfield game with NN, it might be interesting to compare those scouts to the NHL scouts that show up to see NN in a NHL game on this road trip.

114. Ice Sage says:

OTO:

’tis the season when Germans eat Stollen

115. Water Fire says:

North of the Wall:
    Was at the game last night and the atmosphere was just amazing.The place went crazy after Hall scored and that was just after everybody was losing it on the refs for the Purcell penalty.

I don’t get to many games but the great thing is the little details that happen on the ice that the camera doesn’t alwayscatch.One example is Glass went over to Nurse after the wistle to get in his face as Nurse was changing,Next thing you know McLellan sends Gazdic over the boards and he heads right over to Glass.love that.

Maybe Luke can be of use if Mc is willing to do that.

116. Ice Sage says:

Statsman:
    Our new coach deserves one hell of a lot of credit.

This!
    Also, TMac’s positive and lively style seems to be really inspiring the crew. It must be so refreshing – the ‘positive body language’ / 60 is way up. They also seem to be more resilient = fewer periods of deflation and more bounce-back. G Money’s longitudinal game graphs over time might capture this.

117. Water Fire says:

OTO:

Awesome. I was going to say they’ll learn that Leon has a knack for some pretty tasty pay back served up cold like, he did to Eichel, uses it as motivation, but I hope they don’t. Go ahead, poke the bear.

118. Halfwise says:

bendelson: Jersey of the night at Rexall: A white Oilers jersey adorned with number 33 on the back. The name plate read: Leon D. There was a ‘C’ over the heart. Great stuff mystery fan! So confused… so awesome…

I’m not getting it…
    Are the 3s (Drei und dreissig) a pun on Drai? Was it his junior number? Was gibt?

119. G Money says:

Heard McDavid is skating in a yellow jersey.

DON’T FALL!!!

120. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Pouzar: Really?

Interesting.

It’s Nurse for me and it’s not close. You have have to draft #1 d-men.
    Another winger in that spot? No chance.

Nurse over Nichushkin but at this point you’d have to take Ristolainen over Nurse. And I am a huge Nurse fan, as you know. I used to think Nurse had the nastiness edge but watching Ristolainen the past year he has been impressive on that front and brings more offense. Time will tell.

121. frjohnk says:

Nichushkin had a pretty good rookie year, then essentially missed a year with injury and unless the Oilers had medical info that we don’t know about, not sure how much credit can be given for avoiding an injury post draft.I also think that if EDM wanted a D, a case an be made for the D selected immediately after Nurse, in Ristolainen.

Nichuskin benefitted by playing with Benn and Sharp in his rookie season.
    He played 1041:36 at 5 on 5 and scored 28 points.
    but played 570:40 with Benn and scored 23 points.

Meaning he scored 5 points in 471 minutes without Benn.
    That’s 0.63 points per 60 minutes.

Oilers depth chart on RW in 13-14 was
    Eberle
    Hemsky
    Yak

So if Nichuskin was drafted by the Oilers in 2013, he probably would have played in the bottom 6 and put up not very good numbers.

With that all said, I think he will be a very good player.

With us not needing another winger and our lack of Dman Nurse over Nichuskin was a no brainer for me.

If we are looking in hindsight from the 2013 draft, one could make the argument that the Oilers should have picked Ristolainen instead of Nurse. And I say that with Nurse being my 3rd favorite Oiler after Hall and McDavid. I think Nurse becomes a number 2 D man for sure, but might lack the offense of a number 1.

I believe Ristolainen will become one of the top D men in the league.

With that all said, I believed at draft day and I believe now, that Nurse was 100% the right player to pick.

122. delooper says:

In the next few weeks as the Oilers (!hopefully!) get their key injured players back on line, there’s going to be a lot of fun hockey to see. If RNH becomes a 3rd line centre, that *should* give the Oilers D some breathing room, to develop over the next two years.

123. Klima's_Bucket says:

frjohnk: Nichuskin benefitted by playing with Benn and Sharp in his rookie season.

Sharp was not in Dallas during Nichushkin’s rookie season???

124. Water Fire says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Nurse over Nichushkinbut at this point you’d have to take Ristolainen over Nurse. And I am a huge Nurse fan, as you know. I used to think Nurse had the nastiness edge but watching Ristolainen the past year he has been impressive on that front and brings more offense. Time will tell.

125. raventalon40 says:

Water Fire: I’m hoping Chia can make a deal for a young right hand version of Nurse. Risto has the right ethnicity and name for the Oilers so I’d take him. The question is what do you give up? I suppose it depends on the key pieces and offer.

I don’t think Ritsolainen is going anywhere, kid is on fire and is his second good season but this season is his big coming-out party. He’s the future in Buffalo in the same hushed tones as Eichel.

I might rather look to fringe playoff teams for GM’s willing to deal some young D for some immediate help on F.

126. commonfan14 says:

The Nurse situation is pretty crazy. It’s kind of like he’s a kid called up to the Majors and having to immediately face a different Ace pitcher every game.

The big difference, of course, is that any mistakes Nurse makes have a much more significant impact to the team than a kid in the majors striking out against those Aces.

The risk is huge, but the game should really start slowing down for him if he survives it.

127. delooper says:

commonfan14:
    The Nurse situation is pretty crazy. . .

Sounds like every Oilers prospect for the past 10 years?

128. Ribs says:

“What the $@&* Korpikoski.” – Jari Kurri

Seconded.

You have to be kidding me! Haha. Damn.

Long Live The Korpse!

129. dangilitis says:

I just thought people who were interested in Patrick O’Sullivan’s story would be be interested in the article 11 years ago.

Three conclusions
    1) Patrick is doing a great service by speaking out. Clearly, as bad as things sounded 11 years ago, what happened at home was far worse and he wasn’t ready to disclose this to the public out of fear.
    2) Gretzky is one hell of a human being.
    3) Cherry is not a great judge of character, and this is a gross understatement

130. Pouzar says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: at this point you’d have to take Ristolainen over Nurse.

Nope. Not a chance for me.

131. BONE207 says:

Woodguy:
    The Rexall trails have their secret tales That would make your blood run cold;

If something magical happens this year, I’ll memorize that verse and teach my grandchildren.

132. Ribs says:

ashley: I don’t get the comparisons of McDavid’s injury to Roma’s. One has a titanium plate reinforcing his collarbone in perfect anatomic reduction, the other had au naturel callus with likely some deformity. One is in his mid-30’s, the other a teenager. One was in a sling for 4-5 weeks, the other lifting weights at 2 weeks.

You also have to think that the chances of reinjuring this part of the body has to be quite a bit less likely in a hockey game compared to football.

133. stevezie says:

Ristolainen is ahead of Nurse. A safer bet with just as high of a cieling.

But Nurse is great too

134. Centre of attention says:

G Money:
    Heard McDavid is skating in a yellow jersey.

DON’T FALL!!!

Where did you hear that??!

135. Water Fire says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

A lot of you gents seem to hang in some pretty tony circles, actresses and hockey players.

136. Pouzar says:

stevezie: Ristolainen is ahead of Nurse.

Well yeah. He has a full season of NHL experience on Nurse.
    Nurse’s first year has a very good chance of being better than Risto’s.

137. Gret99zky says:

Woodguy:
    Offensive players not winning with rookie coach and meh Dmen:

in PIT:MEDIA: “ABOUT TIME THEY FIRED THE COACH”

in EDM:MEDIA:”CORE IS ROTTEN. HALL EMBODIES A LOSING CULTURE!”

What does the data say about the number of coaches each team has had over the last 5 years?

Edit: 2 vs. 6?

4 more coaches and the media will say Crosby is a coach killer.

138. delooper says:

Ribs,

If he eventually gets the plate removed (is that the plan?) the chance of reinjury is pretty low. If the plate stays in I would suspect the chance of reinjury is maybe a little higher than normal.

A metal plate in the bone makes it too stiff along its length. So when pressure is put on it, there’s less of the length of the bone available to “flex”. So that part is under higher stress, and is more likely to break. On top of that, the break would be in a spot that’s more difficult to fix.

Hopefully he gets the plate removed in the off-season.

139. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Pouzar: Well yeah. He has a full season of NHL experience on Nurse.
    Nurse’s first year has a very good chance of being better than Risto’s.

140. Ribs says:

delooper,

Interesting stuff!

141. delooper says:

It’s of course possible they used some fancy biodegradable plate, or something that’s relatively flexible. Medical technology is evolving.. but if they’re using conventional technology the plate will be quite stiff and will remain stiff.

142. frjohnk says:

Klima’s_Bucket: Sharp was not in Dallas during Nichushkin’s rookie season???

I meant Seguin. Oops.

143. SwedishPoster says:

delooper:
    It’s of course possible they used some fancy biodegradable plate, or something that’s relatively flexible.Medical technology is evolving.. but if they’re using conventional technology the plate will be quite stiff and will remain stiff.

I heard they’ve filled all his bones with adamantium.

144. stevezie says:

Pouzar,

Looking at things objectively, three out of four dentists would take the Fin first.

But Nurse is beautiful, no doubt. Good chance he catches and passes all kinds of people.

145. AsiaOil says:

Great fun last night but after the retro glow wears off there are some issues. Time to get Talbot in net as we have to see what we’ve got with this guy since he’s UFA in the summer. Would prefer he plays against Boston but NY might be a better place. If Talbot wins in BOS and looks good then maybe you go right back to him the next night in NYC.

Other issue is that Ebs and RNH did not “saw off against the other team’s best’. Nash and Brassard kicked their heads in and stole their lunch money. Sorry but the this is RNH’s 5th year in the league and Ebs 6th. They need to be better or changes need to be made because we can use that cap space. I still think Ebs is the guy who gets moved by the deadline for a dman and our bargaining position is much improved for now.

Hope Klef is not out long. We’ve got plenty of depth but not much of it actually helps. Only good thing is Ference is hurt so he can’t sub in. Hopefully Niki can give us a couple of good game and help us get through this road trip. A .500 record would be massive as the tough part of the schedule ends in Denver next week and we will start to get guys back after Christmas.

146. jm363561 says:

In hindsight, it was a waste of time to post it either way.
    =====

I think you are being too modest. I am sure CMcD, The Oilers, and the Canadian Medical Association ethics committee are all very interested.

147. Bootstrap Effexor says:

There once was a clown named Sather
    on departing his town in a blazer
    twixt droughts ballyhooed and belaboured
    dared rebuff the glare of the laser
    Rogaining his crown somewhat later.

———

For the leathery-lipped undertones (slather/blather/lather) I credit equally Pope and Popeye.

This is a hard form.

The game here is to make the fizzle sizzle with the unsatisfactory final rhyme to contrast making the sizzle pizzle (nostalgic roast pizzle, if you must ask), while concealing a moose in a fishbowl (here today, “goon” tomorrow–seriously, the word “goon” is right there as bright as daylight, alongside hints of “glint” and “gloom” only it really needs to be “goon with the laser [eyes|wrist shot]” if one could have nice things).

———

Willis awards me a conflicted five.

“Pope or Popeye, for or against?” I ask Willis.

“I wish I knew,” answers Willis.

“You sound weary,” I say to Willis.

“Yes,” says Willis.

“Not for the first time?” I hazard a guess.

“Like the stars,” answers Willis.

“So bad as that?” I console.

“Like the stars during an eternal, prairie dust bowl,” Willis billows biliously.

“In that scenario, your star count might be somewhat suspect,” I infer cautiously.

Willis’ Lacedaemonian carapace ruffles not.

“Supposing the dust settles?” I propose provocatively.

“Yes, suppose it does?” Willis settles the matter with gravid finality.

———

The real reason the NHL made helmets mandatory: Sather tired of wearing sunshades indoors.

148. Stelio Kontos says:

NIKITIN,GRYBA, SHULTZ, Two rookies and sekera. Holy defence batman. That might be the worst defence we have iced during this rebuild, and we had such studs as Alex plants and taylor chorney at one point.

149. Pouzar says:

agreed

150. Centre of attention says:

This brought a tear to my eye for some reason.

The amount of sh*t this man has taken is ridiculous.

Its only a matter of time before he gets considered for Captaincy. IDK if he will get it but his play has to have Todd & co thinking twice at least.

I finally dragged myself out of bed at 12 PM today because of copious amounts of beer last night. Twas’ an intense game that had me jumping up and falling back down just as fast, only to jump back up again. Halls goal at the end there made the hang over worth it.

If they beat Boston, I’m buying a lottery ticket.

151. AsiaOil says:

Pretty much bang on. The Finn was not taking anything from the Oilers and came right back at us whenever he was challenged (which was a lot that night). Very nice player and no way he’s traded unless part of an insane deal. Better then Nurse? Maybe a bit more offense but they are close. Both very nice players that any team would love to have. If I had to pick I’d use my 5 year old’s reasoning and say BOTH!

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: I love Nurse but don’t think he will bring the offense Ristolainen does. Both very good D-men with size, skating and a mean streak.

152. Hope is a good thing says:

Long time reader and listener, LT, and first post. We are seeing the impact of TMac in many ways, and most obviously in their breakouts. D to D passes (often multiple) to gain time and space, centre swinging low to receive the pass – wait for it…ON THE TAPE! And in stride, accelerating past the initial stationary forechecker with head up able to read the next play. If you can’t execute these simple skills at the NHL level, you are doomed to ten years of anguish and face offs at centre ice. TMac and staff must have been a bit astonished that they had to teach these kinds of things at the beginning, but Eakins had plenty of time and opportunity and failed.
    John Wooden, one of the greatest coaches ever, started each season teaching his UCLA baketball players (rookies and star seniors alike) how to put their socks on properly, and how to tie their shoes correctly.
    As a lifelong Oilers fan, I am so grateful TMac has recognized the fundamental problems, patiently taught the right ways, and is leading us north, out of the decade of darkness.

153. G Money says:

Woodguy:
    The Rexall trails have their secret tales That would make your blood run cold;

Awesome.

154. LadiesloveSmid says:

Centre of attention:

If they beat Boston, I’m buying a lottery ticket.

next few games are pretty tough, tougher without the best Dman on a weak core as is

back to back will hurt, hawks will hurt. this streak was well well needed, but I don’t expect much in the next bit

155. Oil2Oilers says:

Joey LaLeggia has been playing winger for the Condors;

Seems wise to try.

156. G Money says:

Centre of attention: Where did you hear that??!

It was a tweet from a reasonably (in my eyes) respectable source, but it has disappeared off my Twit feed. As soon as I see some confirmation, will post/repost.

157. Pouzar says:

G Money: It was a tweet from a reasonably (in my eyes) respectable source, but it has disappeared off my Twit feed.As soon as I see some confirmation, will post/repost.

Who? What? Wasssssssssup???

158. Oil2Oilers says:

I saw the tweet earlier myself, but can not verify it is correct or not.

SwedishPoster: I heard they’ve filled all his bones with adamantium.

His bones actually produce it on their own.

160. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I’ve decided to try to mobilize my vast @cn_mills twitter army to call for the Oilers to do the right thing and put the C on Hall.

He’s been carrying the team for years, is still its best player, and cares deeply about making this club great. It’s his time and it’s the right thing to do.

161. theres oil in virginia says:

AsiaOil: Sorry but the this is RNH’s 5th year in the league and Ebs 6th. They need to be better or changes need to be made because we can use that cap space.

Yes, especially since they are playing with that rookie 4th liner. They should be killing experienced opposition.

162. ruotsalainen says:

Nurse V Ristolainen is not only about offense.

Yes, early indications show Ristolainen as being more offensive oriented, but that is FAR from the end of the conversation.

Nurse is and will be just—for a lack of words—nasty. You don’t want to hang around Nurse. Ever. Now I will be honest in saying I haven’t watch Ristolainen that often, but I will say Nurse is already getting the reputation as a guy you don’t want to hang around.

Don’t get me wrong, both are fantastic players, but I really like what Nurse brings.

163. Zelepukin says:

theres oil in virginia: Yes, especially since they are playing with that rookie 4th liner.They should be killing experienced opposition.

Last night was the first night where the glimpse of unicorns/opposition matchups was very evident. Huge/Ebs were pretty much thrown to the wolves. It was heavy sledding for them, definitely. Even though NYR was mixing their lines up like crazy in the first, it seemed liked McL was fine with sacrificing that line for the sake of DraiHall destroying their matchups, hence the 80’s back and forth.

Having said that, Ebs is getting his funk back in the offensive zone and if Poo comes back in the next week or so, that should help drive up that line’s ability to push back with confidence. I’d love to then see JJ stick it with Lander and Iro for a bit.

Our unicorns will ride in ’16. Someone’s shitty 3rd pairing D is going to have to handle either Nuge, Drai or McD and on any night and one line is going to drive our scoring:

Hall – Drai – Purcell
    JJ- Nuge – Ebs
    Poo – McD – Yaks
    Korp – Hendy – Lets

JJ and Poo could potentially swap with each other but I think this is a good balance of vets with rooks.
    So if you’re the opposition, how do you not double shift your 1-2 D against these offensive lines?

The only downside of 3 very strong offensive lines, is TOI. With PK time involved, your challenge is keeping everyone active. On the PP I wouldn’t even change up the lines. Just put those guys out with set D pairings. 4 forwards really hasn’t added much benefit to us.

164. Edmonton blog roundup: Dec. 14, 2015 | Seen and Heard in Edmonton says:

[…] It’s so nice when the Oilers make Lowetide (aka Allan Mitchell) happy, as they did with that monster 7-5 win. […]