CRAZY ON YOU

Every few months (whether you need it or not) I like to update you on that wild Craig MacTavish trade set at the 2013 entry draft. It may end up being nothing, but I don’t think all players will miss: Someone won that deal, and I think it might be MacT.

THE TRADES

• First trade: Edmonton trades 37th overall (Valentin Zykov) to Los Angeles for 57th overall (William Carrier), 88th overall (Anton Slephyshev) and 96th overall (Kyle Platzer).
  • Second trade: Oilers trade 57th overall (William Carrier) to St. Louis for 83rd overall (Bogdan Yakimov), 94th overall (Jackson Houck) and 113th overall (Aidain Muir).

It is important to remember that Edmonton gave up only Zykov for the other picks, but I always like to include Carrier in the group just for fun. Also, for our purposes today, I am not going to include Jackson Houck (Oilers did not sign) and Aidan Muir (Oilers may or may not sign) and focus only on the pro players in the deal. As it happens, this is highly convenient because all other players spent time in the AHL this year.

NHL FOR ONE!

I have a feeling Anton Slepyshev is going to win this trade for the Oilers. Despite scoring just four goals in 19 AHL games, the young Russian impressed during his NHL time and I imagine we will see him again soon. Slepyshev’s combination of speed, size and skill is NHL calibre and he could push for regular NHL employment in the fall.

You can never be sure about any prospect, and Bogdan Yakimov’s recent decent to jump to the KHL is a concern, but Slepyshev appears to be the real deal.

FIRST YEAR AFTER DRAFT

CRAZY 13-14

Draft year +1, Zykov (the original trade target) looked like a worthwhile investment. He was the only prospect over one point per game (although the Russians were already in pro) and his NHLE was clear of the pack.

SECOND YEAR AFTER DRAFT

CRAZY 14-15

Draft Year +2, Zykov has company beyond a point-per-game in junior, and there are now three men playing pro hockey (two AHL, one KHL). I don’t think you could really argue much distance between the top four on this list, and Carrier—playing pro—may have been hampered by lack of playing time. Not much clearance, certainly less of it than in year one after draft.

THIRD YEAR AFTER DRAFT

crazy trade

Since these players are all in the AHL, I didn’t feel a need to include NHLE in the table. Platzer is once again at the top of the table, and Carrier has moved up. I give extra credit to Slepyshev for playing 11 games this season (Yakimov got into one in 2014-15) but your mileage may vary.

Note: I did not include Muir and Houck in third year glance, for me the deal is easier to suss out with all of the AHL players on a line. I think MacT will win this trade, but it is folly to suggest anyone can see the best player in this group. If there was an expansion draft, and all players in the deals were available, I would suggest Slepyshev is the most attractive option.

WHAT KIND OF PLAYERS ARE THEY?

• Sabres GM Tim Murray about William Carrier: ”He was a first-round touted kid that missed half the season with an ankle injury. He’s got size. He’s got skill. He’s got stuff that we have to help him with and that’s another part of it. We’re going to try to really buckle down here with our development program and help young guys get better. He’s just that – he’s a prospect.” Source
  • Mike Futa, LAK President of Personnel on Valentin Zykov: “He really knows himself as a player; sometimes kids have a problem critiquing themselves. He was a kid that fit the Kings’ culture. Not having a first round pick, we feel that we acquired a first round caliber player. He’s a thicker body. He’s more of a Dustin Brown-type physical body, as far as where he should end up. He should be a real heavy puck guy in the corners, but a lot more vision and play-making ability, I would think. He’s always shown the ability to make plays and [be] a real strong passer who can finish, as well. I think that there’s a pretty high bar as far as the expectation.” Source
  • Kyle Platzer on Kyle Platzer: “I think we’re all smart enough to know what we are. I’m not going to get 80 points a year in the NHL but it is my goal to be an offensive guy and somebody reliable without the puck. I do want to be a hard-nosed, two-way guy, a heart-and-soul player instead of trying to skill my way into the NHL.” Source.
  • Todd McLellan talks about Anton Slepyshev: “We watched the video again, the video doesn’t lie. He did a lot of the things we worked on today, in the game. He’s a young player but he’s played pro hockey before. You can see it.” Source
  • David Staples, on Bogdan Yakimov: As for Yakimov, he started slowly this year but is now becoming more of a force in games. At 6-feet, 5-inches, 230-pounds, he’s massive and a difficult load for any defender to budge. He’s also got some skill, though like many huge players, it often looks like he’s loafing on the ice. But Big Yak looks like he’s loafing both when he’s playing poorly and well. He can chip in five or six chances and a game and still look like he’s not going all-out, even as he dominates. Source

I believe you have to wait five years, and we are not yet three years after the draft. Still, this looks very good for Edmonton—not because of one dominant player, but due to three very good bets in Slepyshev, Yakimov and Platzer.

(Note: Yakimov’s bolting to the KHL may or may not impact the trade. I made it less of an issue here, we should be able to discuss it at length come summertime when we meet again about that crazy trade).

30 Responses to "CRAZY ON YOU"

1. dessert1111 says:

I think Slepyshev has the highest ceiling of these guys but would put my money on Platzer as being the most likely to have an extended NHL career. Reminds me a bit of Tobias Rieder but iirc his skating isn’t quite as quick.

Zykov is interesting because I think he has more aggression in his game, but I don’t think he is as well rounded as the other guys, from what I’ve read.

Platzer could do us a world of good by emerging as a capable 3rd line winger next year. Would like to see him get a coffee after the deadline if he keeps increasing his scoring and his role in Bakersfield.

2. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Platzer exceeds expectations. Put a hurdle in front of the kid, he jumps it.

It’s going to take a while, and he’s not going to win a Hart trophy, but I see this kid making his way into the NHL.

He consistently demonstrates a level of drive and ambition that I believe will separate him from the pack.

3. Feelin Saad says:

Could Platzer be the mythical “Pisani-type”?

Feelin Saad:
    Could Platzer be the mythical “Pisani-type”?

Yes. I call him a Brodziak, but same family.

5. Johnny Larue says:

Yakimov is still Oilers property he may be back . The excuse for him leaving was to make the world championship team he had to go back to Russia.In Putins Russia this does not surprise me the word is if you want to play on the national team unless you are a superstar you better play in the KHL . He maybe back but he didn’t do himselve any favours if his goal is to play in the NHL.

6. Bank Shot says:

Johnny Larue:

Maybe he saw the writing on the wall. Oilers have recalled 4 forwards(Draisaitl,Pakarinen,Khaira, Miller) from Bakersfield this season, and with Slepyshev starting on the big club he would probably be ahead of Yakimov for a recall as well.

When you are the 6th callup on the farm you aren’t anywhere close to being a full time NHLer.

Maybe the smart play is to take the money in Russia at that point.

7. PhrankLee says:

I loved this move at the time.

We were desperate for bullets at that draft.

Fond memory of MacT.

8. RexLibris says:

I’d have to say the real winner in the trade was the blogger who gets to write about it two and a half years later on December 30th the evening of an off-game night.

😉

I kid, of course, but this is exactly the kind of move you plot and follow. The real payout could come four years from now in a game in early May because you just never know.

RexLibris:

?

Haha. True!

10. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Haha. True!

Just think of it this way…

…think of the OBC as being relegated to the kids’ table this past summer, where would that leave the media hounds (not yourself, obviously, but others that have been discussed here) begging for scraps of information who had been used to the big table for so many years?

11. PunjabiOil says:

I think we get too attached to prospects.

It is very possible that none of the players in the deal end up with 200 games played at the NHL level.

Most good players don’t spend too much time at the AHL level, and those that do show offensive touch in the 0.8-1.0 PPG range (Vic Ferrari rule).

12. wheatnoil says:

Hmmmm… “three very good bets” for one good prospect. That damn MacT played the long game and gave you your mythical 3 for 1!

The other thing about this trade is it gives the Oilers three different options depending on need. Zykov is a scoring winger. That’s the route for Slepyshev to make it to the NHL. However, Yakimov is a big centre. Last year, when the Oilers had no centre depth, he got an NHL game. In another universe (a much worse one) where the Oilers don’t get McDavid, Yakimov may have a better shot at getting a call-up this year. Then there’s Platzer, who’ll make it in the Brodziak role. Right now he’s blocked by Lander and Letestu, but there’s bottom-6 openings that’ll come up by the end of his ELC. A bottom-6 player who can kill penalties and score? The Oilers have been looking for that forever.

That’s three reasonable bets that fill three very different needs depending on what the team happens to be lacking in down the road.

PunjabiOil:
    I think we get too attached to prospects.

14. square_wheels says:

Wow, does Jersey ever confuse:

Not a single EV FO taken tonight in the offensive zone but they win 3-0 !

Weird.

15. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: That isn’t really true anymore. Lots of players enter the AHL way less than that and have productive careers. Picking at random from the Red Wings, Riley Sheahan was .500 as a rookie, played in the NHL next season. REAL skill players spend little or no time in the NHL, but the two-way types are below nowadays. AHL doesnt score much anymore, just like the NHL.

But we DO get too attached to prospects *coughMAPouliotcough*.

From what I’ve seen in my casual, rakish tooling about the intertubes (top down, goggles on, white driving scarf waving in the wind, btw) is that almost any/every fan base falls in love with a prospect at one time or another.

The Flames had Baertschi before Gaudreau.

We had Omark.

Bruins fans had Knight in addition to Seguin and Hamilton out of the Kessel deal.

Leafs fans had Kadri.

And Canuck fans went on and on about Schroeder and Hodgson.

To me this trade came down to odds.

MacTavish changed one chance for several. It was a smart move in a draft universally identified as being historically deep.

Wonder if Chiarelli gets some similar advice this year with similar rumblings being made.

RexLibris: But we DO get too attached to prospects *coughMAPouliotcough*.

The Flames had Baertschi before Gaudreau.

We had Omark.

Leafs fans had Kadri.

And Canuck fans went on and on about Schroeder and Hodgson.

To me this trade came down to odds.

Pouliot would have been a gooder if not for the pubis.

17. Colieo87 says:

More like crazy train Lt

18. frjohnk says:

Lowetide: Pouliot would have been a gooder if not for the pubis.

Injured my pubis just over 2 years ago.

Still not back to 100%.

Have only fathered 1 child since then.

19. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Pouliot would have been a gooder if not for the pubis.

Well, folks, you’ve been a wonderful audience and we hope you enjoyed the show!

Please drive safely, tip your waitress and come by tomorrow when Mr. Kite will do a somersault on solid ground with our special guest, Billy Shears!

20. PunjabiOil says:

One of the things I’ve noticed is there is an adjustment period from the NCAA/Junior to the AHL Many of the players that don’t make it to the NHL at 20 struggle in their rookie season in the AHL (See Chimera or Pisani’s rookie seasons in the AHL).

But if you’re not making an impact at the AHL at 21 or 22, then odds are against you to have much of a shot at the NHL in a meaningful role.

I look at the farm team – does anyone here, aside from perhaps Griffin Reinhart have the upside to play in the NHL in a impact role (i.e. top 6 forward or top 4 dman)

I think we’re all guilty in overrating prospects. It’s hard to know what players are available, or what prices are discussed amongst GMs, but I question if teams would be better off trading their 2nd/3rd/4th round picks more often for tangible assets. I think Daryl Sutter had the right idea when he was the GM in Calgary. Turned second round picks into Kiprusoff, Bourque and Tanguay – players who were vital to team success – all while giving up a 15% chance at an NHL player that could have been used for those picks.

21. John Chambers says:

PunjabiOil,

Yep I’ve often touted this same premise:

You can get at least 30 regular season games + playoffs of a real NHL player at a position your team needs filled in exchange for a long shot at a 100 game career. It seems evident then that a competing team should (and often do) part with draft picks in order to maximize their opportunity within their competitive window.

Even for a rebuilding team, how many William Carriers or Mitch Moroz’s will play a factor I those teams turning around? Very few. Tim Murray has wisely exchanged second-tier prospects as part of a package to obtain Kane and O’Reilly.

That said, the Oilers nonchalantly traded a pick which became Lucic, so occasionally these trades can burn you.

22. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Ahhh. Quiet night and the pubis talk is back. Good to see.

Will take this opportunity to wish everyone a healthy and happy new year.

PunjabiOil:

I think we’re all guilty in overrating prospects.It’s hard to know what players are available, or what prices are discussed amongst GMs, but I question if teams would be better off trading their 2nd/3rd/4th round picks more often for tangible assets.I think Daryl Sutter had the right idea when he was the GM in Calgary.Turned second round picks into Kiprusoff,Bourque and Tanguay – players who were vital to team success – all while giving up a 15% chance at an NHL player that could have been used for those picks.

We agree. I write a FARM WORKERS article every year that includes these two points

Pretty much everyone who is in the AHL past (say) 21 has some issues and is going to do some meandering (this is universal from 1965 through 2009). BARONS 14-15: True story again this year. Martin Marincin, Anton Lander, Tyler Pitlick and others had things they needed to work on and spent extended time in the minors, Lander even getting a waiver sleep before being sent to OKC. Roman Horak bolted from this position a year ago, it’ll be interesting to see if any Oilers RFA’s, like Marincin, take this opportunity to leave the organization’s North American roster.

If you haven’t established yourself as a prospect of interest by 22 you are in trouble. The players who have graduated to useful NHL careers have at least played some NHL games by the end of their entry level deals. BARONS 14-15: Anton Lander is 23, but I think a normal organization would have graduated him in due time. Marincin and Klefbom both made it and Pitlick, Hamilton et al did not. There’s a line there. Brossoit is still on the right side of the line and of course guys like Yakimov and Dillon Simpson have plenty of time.

24. LMHF#1 says:

John Chambers:

That trade in no way burned them. Are you kidding me?!?

25. barry.moore23 says:

** cue Dreamboat Annie music**

Damn those Wilson sisters were hot !!!!

That’s all.

barry.moore23:
    ** cue Dreamboat Annie music**

Damn those Wilson sisters were hot !!!!

That’s all.

27. PhrankLee says:

Lowetide: I always thought Nancy was incredible, have you seen her play the guitar live? Very underrated guitar player.

Particularly the extended intro to the title song.

This lady rocked with the best, imo.

28. barry.moore23 says:

PhrankLee: Particularly the extended intro to the title song. This lady rocked with the best, imo.

I remember having the chance and passing on it back in 1978 or so. Silly me 🙁

29. böök¡je says:

30. Bruce McCurdy says:

böök¡je: If you haven’t seen their live version of Stairway to Heaven, I highly recommend it.

Very nice. I saw Heart play at Commonwealth Stadium back around 1980 or so, they headlined an all -day event that featured 6 bands. Terrific band then & now.