THE NEWS CYCLE

I am beginning to understand the Peter Chiarelli news cycle. It goes something like this: Lose one in a row, hold steady. Two in a row? Hold it, steady, let’s wait to see how it turns out. Three losses in a row? Right. Turn on the lights, get McDavid out there!

I don’t blame Peter Chiarelli, it works like a charm and takes attention away from a struggling crew who are in fact No. 29 in the NHL. They also had to pass along the bad news on Klefbom, and this McDavid news makes a tough pill go down a little easier.

This is a very nasty bit of news, meaning the Oilers will have to roll on without one of their best defensemen for the near future. What will that look like? Well, in the game against Anaheim things looked like this:

• Nurse—Schultz
  • Sekera—Fayne
  • Davidson—Hunt

Listings are based on 5×5 TOI last night. Nikita Nikitin is in Bakersfield, Eric Gryba is hanging around and of course Griffin Reinhart is in the minors. The one thing they might do—and Todd McLellan has been using a rookie on the top pairing for much of the season—is try Brandon Davidson with Andrej Sekera (this has been mentioned several times by various people—most recently WG yesterday—as an option). It is not wise under normal circumstances to go that route (mammoth ask of a rookie), but these are not normal circumstances and the Hunt—Fayne tandem last night went 7-0 Corsi events 5×5 . Might want to keep them together. I do like the Sekera—Fayne tandem, though.

Kassian is an interesting option for lots of reasons, including the roster crunch that will surround any decision on him. With Rob Klinkhammer back on the roster, it is getting mighty crowded:

• LW (5): Taylor Hall; Benoit Pouliot; Lauri Korpikoski; Luke Gazdic; Jujhar Khaira
  • C(4): Leon Draisaitl; Ryan Nugent-Hopkins; Mark Letestu; Anton Lander
  • RW (5): Teddy Purcell; Jordan Eberle; Matt Hendricks; Rob Klinkhammer; Iiro Pakarinen

Connor McDavid and Nail Yakupov will eventually find their way back from IR, suspect the prime candidates for Bakersfield are Jujhar Khaira and Iiro Pakarinen (although that is not written in stone, it could mean Luke Gazdic or Rob Klinkhammer get sent down). When Kassian is recalled? I think we might see a trade around the same time, depending on what happens. Bottom line? Three forwards are very likely on their way to the active roster during January. Who is leaving?

POSSIBLE HEALTHY F GROUP FOR JANUARY 2016

• Hall—RNH—Draisaitl
  • Pouliot—McDavid—Eberle
  • Yakupov—Mike Richards—Kassian
  • Korpikoski—Letestu—Hendricks

Yeah, I think 2016 is going to see some changes. Todd McLellan might like having two centers on the top line, and as hot as Hall-Leon have been, Nuge was splendid with Draisaitl as well. I don’t like the idea of Anton Lander in the PB, but the 4line is solid as is, and injuries will continue unabated. What do you think of the idea of Mike Richards?

Baggage for sure, but you don’t get free players without a back story, and if Richards is healthy there is little doubt he could help. He is 30. Could have a very nice run as an Oiler. Thoughts?

57 Responses to "THE NEWS CYCLE"

1. RexLibris says:

Klefbom injured?

Shame that MGL is going to part-time because I’m pretty sure his IIT bubble for the Oilers would’ve just taken a huge gain.

Already this team leads the entire league in man-games-lost and Injury Impact.

If the Oilers finish 29th in the league there won’t be one word of that from anyone in the media, all they’ll cry about is the team being addicted to high draft picks and screaming for the league to step in.

Nobody will talk about how a ref submarined Yakupov.

Or that two Philly players ran McDavid into the boards such that the diplomatic young man declined comment.

Or that an already shaky roster lost player after player after player but managed to remain relevant in a piss-poor division until the new year.

Nope, gotta bring that hammer down on those Oiler boys, they’ll say.

Punish them, will be the refrain, take away their draft picks until they improve.

Division rivals will scoff and say “can’t you guys get your act together? You get a generational talent and even he can’t make the team good!” ignoring that McDavid hasn’t played half the year and looking down their noses from their comfortable spot safely ensconced in mediocrity.

When the team finally gets healthy and they can ice a complete roster the story will then be told that they are winning when the games no longer matter and the players can’t handle pressure even though the teams they’ll be beating are fighting for playoff positions and divisional titles, but that won’t fit the narratives they want to tell about those sad-sack Oilers.

I wait semi-patiently for the day when the Oilers come around the league on annual road trips and can kick every team in the head because they are talented and driven and have the character to rise to the challenge.

Okay, end of rant and I’ll go put my angry back in the closet for now.

Thank heavens we have Chiarelli steering the ship now, I can at least have faith in a steady hand on the tiller.

2. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

What kind of shape is Richards in at the moment? I presume he would need some games in Bakersfield first? He and Kassian may even be some sort of support for each other, although both have very different problems.

I think both men have put far more miles on their bodies due to style of play and lifestyle choices than some others, so I would not bank on either as a long-term solution, but for the near-term? I’m not thrilled with the Oilers becoming a landing spot for these last chance Texaco guys, but 9 years out of the second season and in 29th place today, I do understand some of the risk appetite to try to acquire something for nothing at this point.

In the best case he comes in on a cheap one-year, pro-rated deal and he plays well enough to garner you a pick at the deadline.

In the worst case he is finished and needs to be cut loose, only costing the owner’s money.

I am not trying to create a double standard here. In an ideal world, neither Kassian nor Richards would be options. But the team, through injury, actual lack of skills or personnel, etc., has not really progressed as much as most hoped. So if one is allowed here then some consideration for the other should also be given.

Not thrilled, but grudgingly understanding of the option.

3. robertosanchezzz says:

I think you have to put Yak back with Mcdavid as soon as he’s back for Yaks sake. Confidence seems key with him and they were making magic before injuries struck.

BDavy should be playing more minutes up the roster and I believe he’ll force the issue shortly.

Kassians a douchebag but we’ve all been d-bags before… If he gets his shite together he’ll be a nice add.

Sucks about the KlefBomb… Was looking forward he and mcdavid making music together in Jan/16..:

Trade Ebs or Yak for Hamonic and sign Cam Ward to go 1-2 with the winner of the Talbot/Nilsson battle his year and were in the playoffs next year with growth from within.

I can’t decide whether TeddyP’s play warrants a contact or if we should sell high but as the playoffs become less and less realistic I think a trade for a solid asset is the better play.

Happy New Year fkers

4. lynn says:

I wish the Oilers would send Jujhar Khaira back to Bakersfield–he needs to play more than five minutes a night, if not a healthy scratch. Had a good game last night, in limited minutes. Not sure why he wasn’t on the ice for more minutes: he was more involved than many of his teammates.

5. Romulus Apotheosis says:

For Xmas I got two different Hockey News magazines.

Each were listed on the cover at $10.

Both read fast and the content (almost exclusively lists with snippets of trivial information and lots of photos) was immediately forgotten.

Not a single article, of any length, that rigorously explored anything of note. Entirely superficial knowledge in clipped form.

I don’t get it.

Seems like a news magazine has the resources and the audience to produce something of value.

Doesn’t even have to be on-ice related.

What with Richards, Voynov, O’Reilly, Kassian etc., the hockey world is ripe for a candid, well-sourced and researched piece on substance and physical abuse off the ice.

6. square_wheels says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

If in fact he had an Oxy addiction, and I’m trying not to speculate that was his problem, but all this chatter from Lombardi about a concussion related issue gone awry doesn’t fit. Mike Richards went into a serious decline and he most certainly would not have been playing if concussed, so either he had a major injury inappropriately treated by a Florida pain clinic or the Kings medical staff are grossly incompetent.

If he was using the oxy’s to self treat an injury, how was the Kings staff not aware ? I seriously doubt the staff was incompetent, so how was he in possession, unless California has similar laws as Florida where prescriptions are not noted in such a manner that once filled can’t be duplicated at another pharmacy ?

If he’s physically fit, can find his game in the minors, then be eased into the lineup, he may prefer a contender such as Washington. His issue may be getting a U.S. Work permit if he’s convicted though so maybe we play that angle to our favour ?

What a sad story though, thankfully he was caught, as it sure seemed like his charade was working.

7. lynn says:

Are sports management and politics the same game?

lynn:

Are sports management and politics the same game?

Yes, except for the wild cards.

9. Loyal2theoil says:

lynn,

McLellan in his post practice presser admitted that JJ played very well in his limited minutes, and will consider giving him more minutes.

10. Loyal2theoil says:

The thing I like about Davy, is that we all know he has calm feet and is pretty good defensively, hes also trying to jump in offensively when he can and there is no risks involved.

Saw quite a few times yesterday when he would jump in, or when he would drive the middle on occasion.

I like seeing him develop into a very good young defenseman :)

11. square_wheels says:

Loyal2theoil,

He’s been more impactful than Lander, who’s likely playing his last few games with the big club this year. Logjam of players isn’t going to favour Anton, although he does have the FO prowess.

Back to last nights conversation about the coach adjusting systems for the players, this doesn’t seem to be Tmac’s MO and he’s made mention about him and Chia spending lots of time together due to their families not being I town. I suspect Chia is aligned to Tmac, so tweaks will come to the forward core, I think it’s inevitable.

Lander does many things well, including 56.1 EV faceoff percentage and 60 on the power play. He also plays a lot on the PK. Useful player, and I do believe he has more offense. Still, it has been a tough year for him.

13. Edmonton Oilers: One of Three interested in Mike Richards says:

[…] been a big day for Edmonton Oilers news. I got some news from Lowetide’s blog: Connor McDavid‘s skating (yay!) Oscar Klefbom out longer term (NO!). But, another […]

14. square_wheels says:

Yes he still has value, but I think the root of his problem lies in those heavy feet. He’s great on the cycle but gets chewed up in the neutral zone.

I’m not going to be surprised if he bolts for Europe after this contract.

15. dangilitis says:

In all fairness, is this a tough year for lander or is this an average year for a guy who’s last 40 games of 2014-15 were the aberration? I am looking forward to seeing him more on the pp to maybe get some confidence back but I think the team can do better. He has not established himself as a #3 center and is borderline 4th line caliber right now, with the asterisk that he wins face offs and does some penalty kill. If the scrivens-Kassian trade has taught us anything it’s that the gm rightfully values players who bring something to this team, not players who are necessarily well-respected.

16. böök¡je says:

I’ve been dancing like a circus monkey in the Edmonton Media for two days trying to distract the press from this disastrous losing streak. One would think I would at least get a pair of Gold tickets to a game or a Jersey or a coupon for a free burger or something!!!

17. lynn says:

square_wheels,

Frolunda HC Indians, or another SHL team, is calling Anton Lander. Anton will play many years of pro hockey in Sweden after his time with the Oilers.

18. square_wheels says:

lynn,

He very well could fetch a pick at the deadline, thought there was interest in him last year ?

19. lynn says:

square_wheels,

Lander may have another NHL team before he returns to Sweden. Lander could be a good back up on a good team fighting for the Stanley Cup.

20. square_wheels says:

böök¡je,

Was curious if you had given any thought as to why your post created such a stir ?

I spend significant time working in the U.S., albeit in the Oil and Gas industry, and while I find the majority of people worldly, informed and sensitive to the social issues that undermine their country, they seem paralyzed by their Republican democracy.

I think Gmoney and I answered your call for supporting our form of democracy. Our MLA was promptly kicked out of the NDP for her inappropriate social media and public remarks, yet, as Oil and Gas professionals we must find common ground with a former part time student and waitress.

Alberta is in for a wild ride, but last year marked the first 100 years my family has spent in this part of the world, it’s up to me to ensure my kids and their families can spend a hundred more.

21. böök¡je says:

square_wheels,

Well there are a few things. First selling a pro-Canadian article to Canadians is pretty easy. Similarly, selling a post that promotes public education, infrastructure development, universal health care, etc to a NYT audience is also pretty easy.

You are right, the USA is paralysed. They are a corporatocracy. It doesn’t matter if you are a disciple of Bernie Saunders or of Milton Friedman, its impossible to have any respect for the 2015 GOP.

I actually can support governments across the spectrum. I’ve been a member of the PC’s and have supported the NDP. What I want is good governance (which can occur on either side of the spectrum if you analyse governments from around the world). As I said in the article, I hope the NDP ensure that they seek wise council from across the spectrum in their governing. I hope the PCs (or someone else) can bring forth a viable and effective progressive government from the more fiscally conservative side of the spectrum.

As per your final comment. I think we need to amass a significant savings fund when (if) we see another boom (so we can draw from that to be a low tax and high service economy when Oil is less relevant). Oil will not last forever as the key driver of this economy. This means we either have to tax more or spend less during booms. I don’t see any non-ideological argument for low taxes in a booming economy.

In any case, I am reluctant to discuss politics here because it kind of wrecks the blog. Besides Spoiler is going to show up and roll his eyes at me… :)

Are you on twitter? We can chat there if you let me know your handle. I am @rjscity (serious one) or @bookje (hockey ranting one).

22. G Money says:

Great stuff on Being Bob, Bookjie! Also: fuck ya! (meant as always in the kindest and most respectful way possible)

Re: the last thread, I think Padre had it right: the bad D and the inconsistent goalering are both the problem. The D is more important and more difficult to fix. Goalering is an individual issue and with a healthy helping of voodoo. I volunteer to go to Nawlins on behalf of the Oil and do some research…

For the record, my goalie work from the summer led me to recommend pursuing a Talbot-Neuvirth tandem as ideal. Starters dip – it’s a thing! Even Asia agrees with me on that now :-)

Happy New Year all! It is Jan 2nd here, which means that today I start my second half-century, not that you’d ever likely guess that from my ongoing raging immaturity on display here!

23. square_wheels says:

böök¡je,

@square_wheels on the Twitter. My employer would not appreciate some of my antics so I keep it anonymous, social media not always a friendly environment for an Oilsands manager.

24. rickithebear says:

lynn:
    square_wheels,

NSH:
    Likely gives him a look!

25. Pouzar says:

square_wheels: As much as I enjoy the occasional drift into politics here, agreed, keep the chatter to hockey.

Canadian hockey blogs are no place for a staunch Libertarian to discuss politics. :)
    So I stay away from these types of discussions.

How bout dem Oilers!

26. LostBoy says:

böök¡je,

To quote the recently late, great Roddy Piper in the 1980s movie “They Live”: “Ha, figures it’d be something like this.”

I got my PhD from EAS (Geology, before the merger)…some time ago, and interviewed for a faculty position there in I think 2008. Or so. For all I know I met you then, unless that was before your time. I met a lot of people (and saw a lot of familiar faces, aged, who uniformly remembered the, uh, unrestrained, grad student version of me, which didn’t have a lot to do with the me who had actually turned up, but oh well).

Anyway, late to this party but R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

27. theres oil in virginia says:

böök¡je: They are a corporatocracy.

I’m glad you noted this. I’ve held my tongue on the political discussion, but this point needs to be shouted from the rooftops.

Where the hell is Spoiler these days anyway?

28. theres oil in virginia says:

Pouzar: Canadian hockey blogs are no place for a staunch Libertarian to discuss politics.

I knew I liked you for more reasons than just AHL updates!

29. square_wheels says:

rickithebear,

Why Nashville ? They seem to have a hard enough time scoring without adding another defence first center.

30. square_wheels says:

theres oil in virginia,

Did I somehow open a Libertarian worm hole ?

31. theres oil in virginia says:

square_wheels:
    theres oil in virginia,

Did I somehow open a Libertarian worm hole ?

The lid’s off…

32. square_wheels says:

Anyone around these parts have plans to attend the Memorial Cup in Red Deer this spring ?

33. rickithebear says:

square_wheels:
    rickithebear,

lander with forsberg
    is a great off pair.

as vrosby and malkin

34. Tire Fire says:

square_wheels: Our MLA was promptly kicked out of the NDP for her inappropriate social media and public remarks, yet, as Oil and Gas professionals we must find common ground with a former part time student and waitress.

Just imagine if she’d formerly been a full-time student and waitress.

The horror!

35. square_wheels says:

rickithebear,

Interesting, wonder if their pending RFA D could be popped out in some sort of Lander ++ deal ?

36. square_wheels says:

Tire Fire,

Online student, come on, it’s 2015.

37. geowal says:

square_wheels:

It’s in Red Deer?!
    Might have to. Looking less likely I’ll be holding it for oil playoffs.

Loyal2theoil:
    lynn,

He didn’t realize it from the bench (which is why he loses in the playoffs). He saw it on the video afterwards. Clearly #NOTScottyBowman.

39. admiralmark says:

I’m officially putting Klefbom in the “injury prone” category. I like the kid a lot but if he’s included in a package with whatever pieces necessary to acquire a 1st pair D man? I will understand why.

40. square_wheels says:

geowal,

Yes, the hometown team is solid as well. Louie’s boy Jake just traded from Speedy Creek, plus that Bleackley kid is pretty good. Hayden Fleury and Spacek both at the WJC and they’ve still got some serious talent in the lineup. The Rebels are definitely not going to be “participating” in the tourney, they’re going to be a difficult team for the eastern champs.

41. RexLibris says:

böök¡je,

Just read your article online from today.

Love it.

Thank you for taking the time to put that into words. I think we likely have a great deal of shared priorities.

I had to stop at the line about investment in education.

This has been a particular bugbear of mine for years wrt to the US system of politicizing education funding and gerrymandering school zones.

Anyway, that is as far down the political rabbit hole as I dare tread here.

Kudos to you and your vast collection of umlauts.

For at least this day, somebody else can take the f’ing blame.

42. theres oil in virginia says:

square_wheels:
    Tire Fire,

Online student, come on, it’s 2015.

Quit livin’ in the past.

43. danny says:

I don’t think I’m out to lunch here suggesting that the backbeat that Oilers PR are playing might be coming from the sticks of Nicholson.

Oilers PR has always been a mess. Seems like something a president would recognize and orchestrate.

44. danny says:

godot10: He didn’t realize it from the bench (which is why he loses in the playoffs).He saw it on the video afterwards. Clearly #NOTScottyBowman.

…aaaaaaaaaand a new crusade is born.

45. RexLibris says:

Micah Blake McCurdy has posted the new lottery chances based on recent play and the Oilers and Blue Jackets lead the pack with a 12.1% chance of picking 1st overall.

Buffalo has 11.5%.

If the Oilers end up with as many 1st overall picks as they have Stanley Cups the league is going to institute the most arcane, byzantine rule structure to orchestrate the draft it’ll make Maggie the Monkey look like an objective, rational selection method.

46. frjohnk says:

RexLibris:

Buffalo has 11.5%.

Win the lottery, draft Matthews.

Sign Stamkos

Can never have too much center depth

Stamkos
    RNH
    Draisaitl
    McDavid
    Matthews

Oh and watching Toronto media absolutely lose their shit: priceless

47. kevin says:

RexLibris:

Buffalo has 11.5%.

Better odds than last year. We need to start getting ready now.

Oh the humanity!!

48. Pouzar says:

theres oil in virginia: I knew I liked you for more reasons than just AHL updates!

Can you talk to my wife? :)

49. TheOtherJohn says:

godot10,

Well if we want to list all of the hockey coaches over the last 48 years who are not Scotty Bowman that list would include everyone. Unparalleled success- everywhere he went. To point the finger at the coach is to me at this point baseless. The Oilers have a boatload of 5,6, PB defenseman and you’d like to see better combos. Guess what, so would TMac

50. RexLibris says:

frjohnk: Win the lottery, draft Matthews.

Sign Stamkos

Can never have too much center depth

Stamkos
    RNH
    Draisaitl
    McDavid
    Matthews

Oh and watching Toronto media absolutely lose their shit: priceless

Nope.

Win the lottery, trade the pick to Arizona for…you guessed it!

The negotiation rights to Shane Doan!!!!

Undo that horrible mistake made oh-so-many years ago when they took Steve Kelly!

Maybe Maloney would throw in that Swedish kid they have on D, too. You know, just to make the transaction appear seemly.

51. RexLibris says:

kevin: Better odds than last year. We need to start getting ready now.

Oh the humanity!!

My only worry at this point is this:

If the Oilers were to draft, say, 2nd overall, and Chiarelli still wants to get Hamonic, I’m not comfortable moving that pick straight across for the defender.

Not sure where the cutoff line would be for me were the Oilers to move a 1st rounder straight across for Hamonic while still being plausible for Snow to bite on the deal.

52. JAG-041 says:

This is secretly one of the best threads I’ve ever read on Lowetide

I comment rarely, but I read almost everything

It’s uplifting to see a group of people have differing political opinions respect each other, and not have to turn it into a big shouting match argument, then turn around get back to hockey talk (which, after all, is all that really matters 😉 )

Well done, fellas
    One of the reasons we Oilers fans are some of the highest quality people there are
    AND
    One of the reasons Lowetide is the best blog out there

Happy new year everyone!

53. flyfish1168 says:

frjohnk: Win the lottery, draft Matthews.

Sign Stamkos

Can never have too much center depth

Stamkos
    RNH
    Draisaitl
    McDavid
    Matthews

Oh and watching Toronto media absolutely lose their shit: priceless

I don’t know if Bettman could stomach it

54. stevezie says:

Today i got to brag to my mom that i know Bookje.

True story.

55. jp says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

Two things:

1) While Kassian and Richards could conceivably provide support for one another I think it’s at least as likely that they could be triggers for one another (again acknowledging that their issues aren’t identical).

I’d also think that having a teammate fall off the wagon (so to speak), if that did occur in the future, would be a very disruptive and difficult thing to deal with for the team generally.

2) IMO the best case for Richards is way higher than a cheap, short term addition who nets you a pick at the deadline. He was a dominant player in Philly and an Olympian. He’s just 30 years old. If his slide in recent years was due in part to his off ice issues then a big rebound is possible (not that I’d bet on it, but the best case scenario here is pretty damn good). I’m not so sure this is a short term bet the Oilers are making.

Like you I’m a bit torn about the possibility of Kassian and Richards as Oilers, but at best they really could both be valuable top 9 players on a good team.

56. RedNed says:

G Money,

HBday to you GMoney! Many more, hopefully, and keep on postin’.

On another note, the demise of Oilers playoff dreams has one positive feature in my mind, causes focus to return to long term structures. Go Oil!

57. Mike Richards And The Oilers? - The Oilers Rig says:

[…] Oilers? Lowetide pointed out an interesting tidbit on his blog on Friday night, you can read it here. In that blog, there is tweet from John Hoven, someone connected with the LA Kings […]