HIS JUDGEMENT COMETH, AND THAT RIGHT SOON!

The Edmonton Oilers informed their fans today, Connor McDavid won’t be back until after the All-Star break. In what can only be referred to as brilliant comedic timing, this news came on the heels of an insane third period filled with own-goals and eye rolling, and included a kicker involving Oscar Klefbom being unavailable until after the All-Star break.

CURRENT STANDINGS

standings

Edmonton is still in this crazy race, but you can see oil coming out of the exhaust and it’s been running hot since Lillooet, we’re one dead dog and a lost wedding ring away from a country song. It is not possible to be heartbroken—this thing barely hung together leaving the dealership—but there is still some anger and rage as the numbness of another lost winter seeps into the brain and forces a single ray of reality into what looks like a fantastic future. If you are an older Oilers fan, these good times may not be for you. That’s a fact.

JUDGMENT DAY

If the fans are going down to another defeat, they have every right to expect some housecleaning from the forensic files. If you and I must live without the playoffs, perhaps we can warm ourselves by finding the answer to the following:

• Who in the name of Jesus recommended the Nikitin trade and signing? Did anyone stand up and say ‘are you sure that is a good idea?’
  • When Justin Schultz was taken to arbitration, and the buyout window opened, was there any thought to buying out a defenseman? If not, why not?
  • Who passed on signing Tobias Rieder? Was it over $100,000, AGAIN?
  • After drafting Erik Gustafsson, did anyone scout him or was there interest?
  • How many of the minor leaguers are fast enough to play the Todd McLellan style?
  • Is there a plan to add draft picks at the deadline?
  • Are we going to hear about plans to re-sign Cam Talbot? Teddy Purcell?
  • Are we going to see some of the other Condors here this season, or is Brad Hunt the best of what is down on the farm?
  • If this team is close, are the Oilers open to adding for this season? For the record I think that is a bad idea.

108 Responses to "HIS JUDGEMENT COMETH, AND THAT RIGHT SOON!"

1. Ray says:

Adding to the great news recently.

@sunterryjones: Here in Bakersfield, Condors can’t wait for Oilers to return call-ups. Joey LaLaglia suffered broken ribs on 1st shift of 1st period Friday.

2. RexLibris says:

Ray:

The Hockey Gods are exacting their pound of flesh for McDavid. With interest.

3. kinger_OIL says:

I posted this at end of last and it ties in with this excellent piece again LT…

– I am surprised by the posters talking about playoffs. When they lost 3-0 to the Laughs, I posted the numbers, said playoffs weren’t going to happen (*this was before McD,Yak,Klef IR’d)

– Even right after, they went on that 6 games point streak, they were barely in playoffs

– When you’ve only won 8 games in regulation all year, you can’t expect to turn it around

– Homework: ” The Oil are a playoff team: T/F? provide your rationale, and thought process”

– Don’t let Bettman points fool you: you are better than: “well we are only 4 points out”

4. The Hermit says:

“If you are an older Oilers fan, these good times may not be for you. That’s a fact.”

I’m not dead yet!

5. blainer says:

I suspect Klefbom has a concussion. I think if it is it may be his second and that is not good.

He is gonna be a number 1 D and may have a better upside than Nurse IF he can stay healthy.

6. G Money says:

Woops, posted on old thread.

Ran shot data on last night’s game, just to make sure I still remembered how!

blainer:

I will guess groin.

8. littleenglish says:

blainer:

9. frjohnk says:

Lowetide: I will guess groin.

Pubis?

I hope not.

I injured my pubis 2 years ago and it still bothers me.

10. smellyglove says:

Did they know the McDavid/Klefbom timeline the entire time?

(PR)

11. Weighting for more says:

littleenglish: Well they say lower body injury. Unless his brain is located in his gonads, I think it’s safe to say that his head is not ailing.

they also said McDavid was ahead of schedule. You can’t believe much of what you hear these days

12. sliderule says:

I was thinking that too.

He could be done for season.

Oh joy! Another top five pick.

13. littleenglish says:

Weighting for more:

they also said McDavid was ahead of schedule.You can’t believe much of what you hear these days

Maybe, but I don’t recall him getting his head slammed in recently.

Speaking of heads getting slammed in, awful injury for Denna Laing.. don’t think I’ve ever seen that before, the way she went into the boards. Hopefully she recovers.

14. sliderule says:

All the folks that said Katz had a plan not to win until the new building opens are smirking.

The real joke will be if they can’t even win after the big opening.

15. Barcs says:

He is 22 – his brain could very well be located in his gonads.

16. "Steve Smith" says:

Is it crazy to be relatively sanguine about all of this?

Peter Chiarelli took over probably the worst defensive corps in the league. He added the best available free agent defenceman on a respectable contract; that left the defensive corps as still maybe the worst defensive corps in the league, and then we lost the best member of that corps to injury – there was progress, we just don’t feel it partly because of Klefbom’s injury, and partly because when we compare to 2014-2015, we’re comparing to a season which Jeff Petry spent most of as an Oiler. It would have been nice if Chiarelli had been able to do more with the defensive corps last summer, but, all-in-all, it was a pretty respectable off-season’s work.

The upper-end forwards when Chiarelli took over were good, and should have become better with the addition of McDavid – except that he was injured. The lower-end forwards have been not nearly as good – there’ll need to be an overhaul there. But if we’re ever at the point where that’s our biggest problem, any half-way decent GM should be able to address it in a relatively short time-frame.

(I’ll grant that Chiarelli’s work with the forward corps hasn’t been great so far, but decent bottom sixers just aren’t that hard to find, and I’m sure he’s up to the task – Colin Fraser was good enough to play a regular shift on a Stanley Cup winner, recall.)

As for goaltending, I think Talbot will turn out fine. If he doesn’t, then maybe Nilsson will, or Broissot will come up and play well, or Chiarelli will overpay for somebody on the fly (Kevin freakin’ Lowe managed that, after all, so how hard could it be?).

Defence is this team’s real problem; if Chiarelli can do as much for the defence this off-season as he did last, the Oilers have a strong possibility to be a playoff team in 2016-2017, and that’s not a prediction I’ve made about any other season post-2006 (I actually don’t think I was predicting playoffs for 2005-2006, either – I thought we needed a first line centre, but that our goaltending was probably fine – but that was too long ago for me to really remember.).

17. Mustard Tiger says:

sliderule:

The real joke will be if they can’t even win after the big opening.

Quote from Kevin Lowe:

“The team is winning hockey games,” Lowe said. “They’ve been in just about every game they’ve played this year. There’s a lot of steps to take. The good thing is (owner) Daryl Katz and I (believed) the team needed to be trending upwards or getting good by the time we go into the new building, and it looks like the master plan is unfolding as we hoped.”

It is incredibly pathetic that they actually have this mentality.

Here is the article http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/kevin-lowe-finds-calm-in-new-management-role-221549001.html

18. RJ2016 says:

I think you can burn KLowe, MacT and Howson for the Nikitin signing, and the failure to sign Gustafsson or Reider. I’m not sure what value throwing them under the bus has for the team. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Failing to buy-out anyone also seems pretty obvious.Nikitin is off the cap after the season. Waiting a year to buy-out Ference also shortens the timeframe for his buy-out.

I expect Chiarelli has a plan to re-sign some roster players, and trade others for picks or prospects, but Chiarelli maintains a pretty tight control on information. Chiarelli won’t telegraph his moves, which was a MacT weakness (“bold moves”).

If he does move roster players for picks, then there will be open spots for Condor players to have a cup of coffee in the NHL, but again, Chiarelli doesn’t seem to want to telegraph anything.

I think most of these questions will get answered, but only through observation, and only after the fact. It is frustrating. It’s pretty clear to me that they’ll be in the playoff hunt until much later, but that they’ll fall short, so it would be nice to see they’re making a long-term move to improve obvious weaknesses (like trading for a RHD in my lifetime).

Love the site.

19. frjohnk says:

From the last thread

Speeds: Let’s say EDM’s pick ends up 4th or 5th. Let’s say EDM could trade Eberle for Hamonic as the principals, or trade the pick straight up for Hamonic.

Which option do people prefer:

(1) Hamonic and Eberle at a cost of ~10M in cap room

(2) Eberle and 4/5OV, with extra cap room relative to option 1

(3) Hamonic and 4/5OV, with even more cap room vs. option 1

For next season and the season after , I like option 1 hands down as we then likely have the best two assets in the short term. Option 1 would push the dial quicker.

Then Id go with option 3, with option 2 extremely close behind.

I do believe that Hamonic is one of the hard targets on D for the Oilers brass. But there are many moving pieces.

If by the trade deadline the Oilers sign Purcell, then Id expect it to be more likely that Ebs or Yak would be dealt by themselves or in a package for a Dman such as Hamonic in the offseason.

If Purcell is dealt for picks at the deadline and Eberle is dealt for Hamonic in the offseason, then that leaves us with a RW depth of Yak, maybe Kassian, Pak, AHLer. Yikes!

But it is easier to find a winger that can play with skill than it is to find a top pairing Dman.

Not signing Tobias Rieder over money has Kevin Lowe written all over it. It is so Kevin Lowe to demand a 4th round draft pick accept 4th round money, even though he subsequently demonstrates that well he is much better than that.

Forgetting Eric Gustafsson has MacT written all over it. He forgot about Jan Hejda, and he was sitting on the bench in front of him. He forgot about Curtis Glencross when he was blinded by sweet moves and passing of Robert Nilsson. He forgot to dress his 2nd best goaltender as his backup in game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals.

The subsequent bashing of Stu MacGregor in through the usual media suspects for being unable to find players later round has Kevin Lowe and MacT written all over it.

smellyglove:
    Did they know the McDavid/Klefbom timeline the entire time?

(PR)

Anybody who looked at that 9-day All-Star break November 4th knew the timellne. McCurdy and me have been saying Feb 2 for this obvious reason for over a month now.

One has 9 free days of bone healing…over 10% more time. The kid is a phenon and 18. It is a no-brainer.

There is no Stanley Cup on the line.

22. dustrock says:

Another month isn’t going to heal him more if he’s already 100%.

I suppose I understand the organization being terrified of McDavid being hurt. Now we have to swallow another half season of pointlessness (literally) because the current group isn’t getting it done.

I’m not so much angry or heartbroken as simply apathetic at this point. Why care?

23. kinger_OIL says:

godot10,

Yup: you guys were on it: Props

– The math is actually really too bad for the OIL: 18-year-old rookies who play at least 40 NHL games can become an unrestricted free agent at the age of 25. (else they can at 26)

– Conner has played 13 games, and there are 33 games after the all-star break. For 6 games, they lose a whole year of control. I’d run a DCF model on that, and be sad…

– Leon only played 37 games last year: now they are both UFA same year…

24. JDï™ says:

godot10: It is a no-brainer.

Something about that phrase makes me cringe, as a fan of this team.

kinger_OIL:
    godot10,

Yup: you guys were on it: Props

– The math is actually really too bad for the OIL: 18-year-old rookies who play at least 40 NHL games can become an unrestricted free agent at the age of 25.(else they can at 26)

– Conner has played 13 games, and there are 33 games after the all-star break.For 6 games, they lose a whole year of control.I’d run a DCF model on that, and be sad…

– Leon only played 37 games last year: now they are both UFA same year…

Being on the roster is what counts.

Being on LTIR doesn’t take you off the roster.

McDavid’s 1st RFA is in the books even if he spends the rest of the season on LTIR.

26. kinger_OIL says:

Woodguy: Being on the roster is what counts.

Being on LTIR doesn’t take you off the roster.

You are probably right, but the rules state “games played”.

-Plus Does “remaining on the club” not mean games played: If a player on an entry-level contract remains with the club for 40 games this season, the player moves one year closer to free agency

27. hunter1909 says:

I barely remember McDavid. He’s starting to seem like a hologram from the next Tron movie.

The losses? They’re everything in a tank race.

Oilers are tanking hard in the Pacific Division.

28. hunter1909 says:

They say Oilers fans enjoy springtime more than other NHL fans.

29. AsiaOil says:

The insane luck of getting CMD negates any minor grousing over UFA years. Just enjoy the guy for heaven’s sake and worry about 6 years down the road half a decade from now.

Sure the defense sucks – but as others have pointed out – ton of very weak play by the winger last night. Lost count of how many times wingers failed to gain/maintain possession after the defense sent up the boards toward the blueline. The team played about as well as it could but a lack of talent led to so many one on one battles being lost. We have 2 weeks to endure then the lost guys come back – sucks – but it will go quickly.

NYI plays here night before the trade deadline – Hamonic and Shultz trade apartments after the game 🙂

30. speeds says:

kinger_OIL,

The definition of “Accrued Season” also says games missed due to hockey related injury count, in McDavid’s situation.

31. hunter1909 says:

JDï™: godot10: It is a no-brainer.
    Something about that phrase makes me cringe, as a fan of this team.

I agree.

It’s time to stop mentioning Lowe+MacT so much, now Chiarelli and McLellan appear to be in charge.

32. Bruce McCurdy says:

AsiaOil:

33. speeds says:

"Steve Smith",

I agree with a lot of what you wrote, and while I agree that in theory it should be easy to get bottom of the roster F’s, one of the issues of concern I had with the hire of Chiarelli was that I didn’t particularly like what BOS did with their bottom 6 F’s and what they cost.

This summer, Chiarelli turned one year of Gordon (admittedly at a marginally higher price) into two of Korpikoski, and signed Letestu for 3 years when it was looking like there would be no shortage of cheaper one year options. That money adds up.

34. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Mustard Tiger: Quote from Kevin Lowe:

It is incredibly pathetic that they actually have this mentality.

Wow. Does he really believe his own pile of bullshit? For his own good he needs to stay away from the media

35. Water Fire says:

AsiaOil:

Nice post

36. Bruce McCurdy says:

Klefbom was recovering nicely from his hand injury until he went for that follow-up appointment with a Dr. Gillooly.

The Oilers are going to try to sign McDavid for 8 years when his entry level expires (actually a year before it expires), so when he becomes a UFA is somewhat irrelevant, unless McDavid demands a shorter contract, and then that is an entirely different problem (What if he demands a 4 year contract?

38. "Steve Smith" says:

speeds,

I think your concern is well-placed. I guess I’m just having a hard time imagining a team with outstanding top-of-the-roster offensive talent, sold defence, consistently effective goaltending, and established management floundering because its third and fourth lines suck.

It’s actually kind of funny: I think Craig MacTavish was a good GM as long as you ignore everything – everything – he did with the defence (I’m in the camp that counts Scrivens-Fasth as a reasonable bet that didn’t pan out). Hopefully we won’t be saying the same about Chiarelli and bottom-sixers.

39. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

godot10:

This.

40. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

“Steve Smith”:
    speeds,

It’s actually kind of funny: I think Craig MacTavish was a good GM as long as you ignore everything – everything he did with the defence (I’m in the camp that counts Scrivens-Fasth as a reasonable bet that didn’t pan out). Hopefully we won’t be saying the same about Chiarelli and bottom-sixers.

This as well. Forwards okay. D? I want to tear my eyes out.

41. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

frjohnk: Pubis?

I hope not.

I injured my pubis 2 years ago and it still bothers me.

So did Pubis Pouliot

FORWARDS:
    Hamilton – Miller – Ford
    Moroz – Khaira – Kassian
    Jones – Currie – Kessy
    Christoffer – Roy – Chase
    DEFENSE:
    Reinhart – Oesterle
    Simpson – Musil
    Gernat – Nikitin

Laurikainen

43. smellyglove says:

Is tarring and feathering Kevin Lowe in the town square part of the master plan?

Mustard Tiger: Quote from Kevin Lowe:

It is incredibly pathetic that they actually have this mentality.

44. Centre of attention says:

Where’s Platzer?

45. speeds says:

“Steve Smith”,

It becomes a bigger problem if the pattern continues and all of a sudden 2 years from now EDM has to trade what could have continued to be a core top 6 F because of the cap. It’s already a problem this summer if the marginal 2.3M in cap space* could have been the difference in upgrading an extra D spot.

We don’t know what the future will bring, but that’s part of why I mentioned the BOS history. If he were a new GM you could say, well, maybe that’s just one summer, let’s see what the pattern is. Chiarelli is a bit more established than a guy who’d only had 1 summer in charge as an NHL GM.

* Had EDM just signed 2 equivalent UFA’s for next year for 1M apiece instead of Korpikoski and Letestu – ignoring that you might get better players.

46. Water Fire says:

speeds:
    "Steve Smith",

This summer, Chiarelli turned one year of Gordon (admittedly at a marginally higher price) into two of Korpikoski, and signed Letestu for 3 years when it was looking like there would be no shortage of cheaper one year options.That money adds up.

We will see what the thinking is soon. I would like to see better players than how Korpse and Letestu are playing. I don’t think goals so much, although everybody has to score.

I want to see them bringing more heat to the opponent. Being able to tie up a decent line shouldn’t be out of the question for vets. And if they were putting more pressure on and playing smarter – meaning hold the zone, drive the net and shoot it there, they would score more. A simple bottom roster game that always seems to score on the Oilers.

They should also have no trouble with breakouts as vets. Winning face offs means nothing if you can’t keep the puck. Better to have a stronger possession weaker face off guy.

The season is a write off likely, but still miles better than any recently. I hope they keep the pick if it grabs one of those Finns. I also think if Chiarelli can fill holes injuries might go down with less TOI and guys not playing too far over their ability. With all the extra energy I bet Connor comes back really strong after the summer.

47. tcho says:

Ordinarily, I”d take some solace in the Leafs getting destroyed, but sadly they’re getting destroyed by the Sharks.

48. Water Fire says:

Lowetide: Moroz – Khaira – Kassian

Must be fun playing against them.

49. Centre of attention says:

Water Fire: Must be fun playing against them.

Line brawl much?

50. smellyglove says:

Article on Zack Kassian: “I was an alcoholic”.

“It is not lost on Kassian that the NHL team providing him with this opportunity is the team that maybe detested him more than any other from his days as a Vancouver Canuck, low-lighted, of course by the Sam Gagner incident when he was suspended for eight games for breaking Gagner’s jaw.”

51. "Steve Smith" says:

smellyglove,

I hope he succeeds. I see the effects of addictions every day in my line of work, and they’re brutal; having said that, a lot of my clients (certainly a minority, but not a tiny one) are successfully beating them, generally with a lot fewer supports than Kassian appears to have, so success is certainly possible. I am a little concerned about his pledge not to change anything about his game on the ice, which makes me wonder whether I’ll ever be able to cheer for him as a player, as opposed to as a human.

One other thing: the quote you cite in your comment (“I was an alcoholic”) does not appear anywhere in the article, which is a good thing – my (lay-)understanding of addictions science is that there’s no such thing as a former alcoholic, only a current, but sober, alcoholic. As such, anybody suggesting that their status as an alcoholic is behind them is perhaps not displaying the kind of insight that would inspire confidence.

52. Centre of attention says:

Reinhart with a great play, crush’s the ontario player, grabs the puck and makes an effective outlet pass.

53. Centre of attention says:

Rienhart just made a tape to tape pass from the top of the circle in his own D zone to the offensive blue line that got a man in with clean air.

He’s having a whale of a game IMO.

54. kinger_OIL says:

"Steve Smith":
    smellyglove,

I hope he succeeds.I see the effects of addictions every day in my line of work, and they’re brutal; having said that, a lot of my clients (certainly a minority, but not a tiny one) are successfully beating them, generally with a lot fewer supports than Kassian appears to have, so success is certainly possible.I am a little concerned about his pledge not to change anything about his game on the ice, which makes me wonder whether I’ll ever be able to cheer for him as a player, as opposed to as a human.

One other thing: the quote you cite in your comment (“I was an alcoholic”) does not appear anywhere in the article, which is a good thing – my (lay-)understanding of addictions science is that there’s no such thing as a former alcoholic, only a current, but sober, alcoholic.As such, anybody suggesting that their status as an alcoholic is behind them is perhaps not displaying the kind of insight that would inspire confidence.

You didn’t read the article he posted:

“I’m leaving with a lot of knowledge about alcoholism and I’m ready to take the next step forward.

“In no sense am I cured or fixed. But I have a good foundation to build off going forward.”

Has he stopped drinking, period?

“Yes,” he said. “Yes.

“The one thing they stressed to us was one day at a time. It’s kind of overwhelming for a 24 year old to even think 20 or 30 years from now. But the answer is yes.”

55. "Steve Smith" says:

kinger_OIL: You didn’t read the article he posted:

Yes I did, which is how I was able to say that Smellyglove’s quote – “I was an alcoholic” – mischaracterized it.

56. kinger_OIL says:

Also, for what its worth: I’m pretty close to a number of current and retired NHL’ers. I’d say its highly unlikely given the culture of hockey that he’s able to stay sober while being in the NHL.

– The alcoholic NHL’ers I know, are only able to fight their demons properly well after they are out of the spotlight, and able to choose a path for the rest of their lives, after making all sorts of mistakes, ultimately deciding themselves that they are done with drinking: not by an NHL madate.

– Suspect Kassian will be good for awhile, get on track, then think he’s got everything beat, get a contract, have a laspe, and will be out of the league in 2 years. At least that’s the perspective of some of my friends who have opined when I’ve asked them.

57. Woogie63 says:

Loving the new iPad pro, with the split screen…one on the Condor feed, one eye on the Lowetide feed

58. kinger_OIL says:

“Steve Smith”: As such, anybody suggesting that their status as an alcoholic is behind them is perhaps not displaying the kind of insight that would inspire confidence.

OK – you were right: bang on. I misread your comment: sorry. It’s good that he says he isn’t cured.

– Carry on!

– And I’m sober for the month of Jan to boot!

59. Woogie63 says:

Moroz, Kassian, Khaira, Chase, Reinhart, Kessy are PC heavy players

60. "Steve Smith" says:

Woogie63,

Other than Kassian, are any of the forwards likely to be clear the Mendoza Line in the NHL? I’d have Chase as the most likely, and I’m not terribly optimistic about him.

61. smellyglove says:

"Steve Smith",

If I ruffled any feathers with the “I was an alcoholic” paraphrase, I apologize. Wanted to capture the essence of the article in Twitter style. You lose nuance and run the risk of misrepresenting people when doing this…

kinger_OIL: OK – you were right: bang on.I misread your comment: sorry.It’s good that he says he isn’t cured.

– Carry on!

– And I’m sober for the month of Jan to boot!

Good on you, Kinger. One day at a time.

“Steve Smith”:
    Woogie63,

Other than Kassian, are any of the forwards likely to be clear the Mendoza Line in the NHL?I’d have Chase as the most likely, and I’m not terribly optimistic about him.

Slepyshev I think, maybe Platzer.

64. "Steve Smith" says:

Lowetide: Slepyshev I think, maybe Platzer.

I meant of those listed by Woogie.

65. Traktor says:

Did anyone watch Griffin Reinhart when he played for the Islanders farm club?

66. theres oil in virginia says:

smellyglove:
    “Steve Smith”,

The funny thing about quotes is that they imply a quote. 🙂

67. Woogie63 says:

“Steve Smith”,

Khaira, Kassain have the best chance

68. kinger_OIL says:

Lowetide: Good on you, Kinger. One day at a time.

– At the end of my annual not drinking moratorium, I always say: “man I feel good, why do I drink? but then cold beers in the summer while working the BBQ, red wine with a good meal, single malt and a cigar, champagne for celebrations: these are some of life’s pleasures!

69. Woogie63 says:

Khaira is dropping to his knee to win a face-off, ala Lander and Gordon

70. Professor Q says:

Lowetide: I will guess groin.

A concussed groin is a terrible blight.

71. HiddenDarts says:

kinger_OIL: I go dry every Jan: sometimes it goes untill the spring: but yes one day at a time!

Great stuff! I also have been doing dry January for a couple of years now. It’s a nice month for it – very little in “scheduled drinking” (holidays, etc), and I find it’s a good time to reset. Go to the gym more. Get my goals straight.

Last year I thought it would be a good idea to also make January a bread-free month as well. It was a stupid, stupid idea.

If you’re gonna do the booze free January, eat chocolate, bread and steak to your heart’s content, is my feeling. As long as you stay away from the bad stuff.

Maybe I should take my own advice and stay away from the Oilers this month as well.

72. Woogie63 says:

The Cali division of the AHL is great idea…reasonable travel, LAK, SJS, Duck have got to love it, and direct flight Edm and Calgary

73. jp says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Woogie63,

I’m optimistic about Khaira (as a 4th liner), but I agree that Moroz and Kessy are not trending well (both under 1 shot per game this year).

74. jp says:

Condors with 3 goals in 5 minutes in the back half of the 2nd (2 by Oesterle). Up 3-0 and looking good (by the boxscore).

75. Woogie63 says:

jp,

The more I see Simpson, the more I like him…very smart hockey sense

76. viking chug says:

jp:

I’m watching the game. Fantastic period by the Condors. They were good in the first too. Finishing their checks and showing they can cycle the puck or score on the rush. Against the best defensive team in the AHL. Great goals by Oesterle and a cute moment after the second one where they showed Oesterle on the bench beside Nikitin and Niki got his attention and blew him a big kiss. Marco Roy has been flying out there and the Khaira, Kassian, Moroz line has been bruising and creating a lot. Khaira looking really solid. They’ll start the third on the power play as a result of Biznasty going after Kassian after a big hit only to be greeted by a troll-toothed grin and Kassian’s gloves staying on.

77. jp says:

Woogie63,

viking chug,

Cool stuff! Thanks for the updates.

78. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: I will guess groin.

Oscar Tarnstrom (or was that Tarnqvist) with that damned pubic thing again.

Man, they gotta start bleaching the jocks or something in that dressing room.

79. RexLibris says:

Professor Q: A concussed groin is a terrible blight.

I took a frozen tennis ball to the groin one time that likely resulted in a concussion.

Not to me, that is. The guy who shot it.

80. viking chug says:

jp:
    Woogie63,

viking chug,

Cool stuff! Thanks for the updates.

You are welcome. Kessy just scored a nice one to make it 4-0.

81. Soup Fascist says:

Bruce McCurdy: due respect but it’s pretty hard to “enjoy the guy” when he is on the shelf for three months.

To be fair, he HAS been busy with those very “enjoyable” Roger’s commercials with Mess.

82. limit says:

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but with Oilers at #3 in draft standings and CBJ at #1, could there be a situation where the Finnish GM of CBJ trades #1 pick (Matthews) + Jones to Oilers for #3 (Laine/Puljujarvi) + RNH? CBJ could use more scoring than Jones (they have Werenski, G.Carlsson , Murray, J.Johnson, Savard) and Finnish GM no doubt would love Laine/Puljujarvi.

If Oilers get Matthews, then could they swap him to hometown Arizona for D. Strome + OEL?

To CBJ: Laine/Puljujarvi, RNH
    To Oilers: D.Strome, OEL, Jones
    To Arizona:,Matthews

83. Soup Fascist says:

viking chug: You are welcome.Kessy just scored a nice one to make it 4-0.

Take that Rieder! Your 2-1-3 in the NHL tonight doesn’t look so shit hot any more.

84. OF17 says:

RexLibris: Oscar Tarnstrom (or was that Tarnqvist) with that damned pubic thing again.

Man, they gotta start bleaching the jocks or something in that dressing room.

Daniel Tjarnqvist

85. Soup Fascist says:

Nashville and Columbus both winless since the trade.

Could this be the rare lose / lose deal involving swapping two young stars?

86. OF17 says:

Soup Fascist:
    Nashville and Columbus both winless since the trade.

Could this be the rare lose / lose deal involving swapping two young stars?

87. leadfarmer says:

limit,

Nope. When you have a chance to draft Matthews you take it.

88. smellyglove says:

leadfarmer,

Fuck. Are we really back to considering scenarios with the #1 OV in upcoming draft.

(Goes for vodka refill)

89. Soup Fascist says:

OF17: Johansen is PPG and Jones has played 22+ minutes both games. I don’t think either team is crying in their cereal.

I get that he is a big kid and skates very well. But I really think he is going to struggle there for a bit.

Nashville shut out 4-0 against Az can’t sit well.

But I was being a bit facetious. They are talented kids. 2 games each would certainly be considered small sample size.

90. Professor Q says:

limit:

To CBJ: Laine/Puljujarvi, RNH
    To Oilers: D.Strome, OEL, Jones
    To Arizona:,Matthews

That’s interesting to think of, but I really do doubt it would go down like that. Arizona wouldn’t give up that much, despite how badly they would want a hometown star in Matthews or Tkatchuk.

91. OF17 says:

Soup Fascist: Man I watched Jones both games. Agreed he played a lot but he looks lost at times.

I get that he is a big kid and skates very well.But I really think he is going to struggle there for a bit.

Nashville shut out 4-0 against Az can’t sit well.

Yeah, I watched most of both Jackets games too, and Jones seemed quite good at times but definitely raw. Nice, crisp passes, some good movements. Columbus has a really nice D corps forming between Jones, Murray, and Savard, plus Johnson and Tyutin as vets and Werenski in the pipeline. It’s something to build around, that’s for sure.

92. fifthcartel says:

Tkachuk is at 2ppg, holy. I did not know that.

limit:

To CBJ: Laine/Puljujarvi, RNH
    To Oilers: D.Strome, OEL, Jones
    To Arizona:,Matthews

If Columbus finishes last they have an 80% chance of NOT picking #1. So your scenario is extremely unlikely to begin with.

The approximate odds for the 30th place team:
    20% chance of picking first
    20-22% chance of picking 2nd
    20-25% chance of picking 3rd
    40-47% chance of picking 4th

Finishing 28th, the Oilers mostly likely drafting spot is #5 or #6.

94. AsiaOil says:

Looks like GR is back on track and playing well. Would be good to leave him down until we can clear some room going into the deadline. But what the hell are we going to do with all these LHD? Sekera, Klef, Nurse, Davidson, GR. Can’t say I’ve seen any of them good on their off-side except Sekera in spots. Got to think that at least one is moving for a RHD. Klef for Hamonic works for me as a hockey trade since I’m getting a bit worried about Klef as an injury magnet.

Pouliot CMD Kassian after the all star break – book it – this team is hiring thugs to work with the talent. I just hope Chia picks thugs with more talent and fewer chef-destructive tendencies. Adding Buff and Lucic in the off-season would be hilarious.

I know it doesn’t address need but Drouin for Yak? Looks like a Sather trade to me.

Just spitballing on Saturday night 🙂

95. limit says:

godot10:
    Finishing 28th, the Oilers mostly likely drafting spot is #5 or #6.

Too bad Chychrun and Juolevi are both LHD, eventually some of the LHD will just have to play on right-side. Has there been a study of impact/change in defenceman effectiveness (say CorsiRel) when switching sides?

96. BONE207 says:

Lowetide: http://youtu.be/grbSQ6O6kbs

My guess heartbreak due to broken Connor. Waiting for him to continue video gaming. Hard to use a game control when your collar don’t work.

97. BONE207 says:

frjohnk: Pubis?

I hope not.

I injured my pubis 2 years ago and it still bothers me.

I wish I could use me pubis. The girls liked me more then too.

98. CrazyCoach says:

Bruce McCurdy:

Oooh, and almost on the exact same day.

Captain Harding would be proud.

99. Bruce McCurdy says:

CrazyCoach: Oooh, and almost on the exact same day.

Captain Harding would be proud.

I’m glad somebody liked my little joke. Just running with the theme somebody started the other day of a ref going to visit Yakupov in hospital with a lead pipe hidden in the flowers.

100. Professor Q says:

fifthcartel:
    Tkachuk is at 2ppg, holy. I did not know that.

The Knights are doing beautifully with Dvorak (2.38 PPG), Marner (2.26 PPG), and Tkatchuk (2.03 PPG)!

Alexander Nylander with 1.47 PPG as a rookie is also promising for the draft. DeBrincat with 1.81 PPG, but with him there are size and attitude issues.

These past few years of so many relatives and offspring of former NHLers coming of age make it seem like the NHL will be quite exciting and nostalgic for years to come!

It actually would be interesting to have a list of them all, with comparisons between them with each and their former NhLer relatives, and their projections! 😀

101. Suntory Hanzo says:

godot10,

It depends on the choice of neckware.

102. limit says:

Professor Q,
    Here’s a start…
    2016 Jakub Chychrun (Jeff)
    2016 Alex Nylander (Michael)
    2016 Matthew Tkachuk (Keith)
    2016 Keiffer Bellows (Brian)
    2015 Jake Debrusk (Louis)
    2015 Adam Musil (Frank)
    2015 Ryan Pilon (Rich)
    2014 Sam Reinhart (Paul)
    2014 William Nylander (Michael)
    2014 Kaspari Kapanen (Sami)
    2014 Brendan Lemieux (Claude)
    2014 Ryan MacInnis (Al)
    2014 Ryan Donato (Ted)
    2014 Daniel Audette (Donald)
    2014 Lukas Sutter (Rich)
    2013 Max Domi (Tie)
    2013 Kerby Rychel (Warren)
    2013 Cole Cassels (Andrew)
    2013 Anthony Brodeur (Martin)
    2012 Griffin Reinhart (Paul)
    2012 Henrik Samuelsson (Ulf)
    2012 Stefan Matteau (Stephane)
    2011 David Musil (Frank)
    2011 Keegan Lowe (Kevin)
    2011 Dillon Simpson (Craig)
    2011 Brody Sutter (Duane)
    2010 Jarred Tinordi (Mark)
    2010 Christian Thomas (Steve)
    2009 Landon Ferraro (Ray)
    2009 Ryan Bourque (Ray)
    2008 Colin Wilson (Carey)
    2008 Phil McRae (Basil)
    2007 Sam Gagner (Paul)
    2007 Brandon Sutter (Brent)
    2006 Nick Foligno (Mike)
    2005 Paul Stastny (Peter)
    2004 Drew Stafford (Barrie)
    2003 Ryan Suter (Gary)
    2003 Robert Nilsson (Kent)
    2003 Jeff Tambellini (Steve)
    2002 Alex Steen (Thomas)
    1999 Niklas Hagman (Matti)

103. Professor Q says:

limit:
    Professor Q,
    Here’s a start…
    2016 Jakub Chychrun (Jeff)
    2016 Alex Nylander (Michael)
    2016 Matthew Tkachuk (Keith)
    2016 Keiffer Bellows (Brian)
    2015 Jake Debrusk (Louis)
    2015 Adam Musil (Frank)
    2015 Ryan Pilon (Rich)
    2014 Sam Reinhart (Paul)
    2014 William Nylander (Michael)
    2014 Kaspari Kapanen (Sami)
    2014 Brendan Lemieux (Claude)
    2014 Ryan MacInnis (Al)
    2014 Ryan Donato (Ted)
    2014 Daniel Audette (Donald)
    2014 Lukas Sutter (Rich)
    2013 Max Domi (Tie)
    2013 Kerby Rychel (Warren)
    2013 Cole Cassels (Andrew)
    2013 Anthony Brodeur (Martin)
    2012 Griffin Reinhart (Paul)
    2012 Henrik Samuelsson (Ulf)
    2012 Stefan Matteau (Stephane)
    2011 David Musil (Frank)
    2011 Keegan Lowe (Kevin)
    2011 Dillon Simpson (Craig)
    2011 Brody Sutter (Duane)
    2010 Jarred Tinordi (Mark)
    2010 Christian Thomas (Steve)

Excellent! Thank you, dear Comrade.

I think Jeremy Brodeur of the Oshawa Generals could potentially be up for being drafted this year, as well.

104. stevezie says:

As someone who has (and continues to) defend the decision not buy out Nitikin, let me balance out my argumentative side by jumping up to agree with the criticism of signing him in the first place. Trading a fifth and then giving a fat contract to a guy who was healthy scratched on multiple occasions? Thank God it was a short deal. What a bizarre move. That’s be like someone giving Fayne nine million this summer because they remember his Jersey days well.

105. NomoreLoweMcT says:

Couldn’t agree more with your posts, although I do believe Reinhardt will make the team and contribute before the year is out

106. Edmonton blog roundup: Jan. 12, 2016 – Seen and Heard in Edmonton says:

[…] hot since Lillooet, we’re one dead dog and a lost wedding ring away from a country song.” Lowetide is a poet of the Oilers’ dark […]