FINDING A SOLUTION FOR THE POWER PLAY PROBLEM

I watched in horror last night as the Edmonton Oilers sent soft lob after soft lob toward goalie Al Montoya on the power play. It was incredible—these were not the kinds of shots that lead to rebounds, only stoppages in play.

In stands to reason that if we are discussing it, Peter Chiarelli is already aware of the issue. Let’s have a look at how many shots Edmonton’s defensemen are getting at 5×4/60:

1. Andrej Sekera 22 shots in 91:58 (14.3/60)
  2. Oscar Klefbom 10 shots in 56:14 (10.8/60)
  3. Brad Hunt 2 shots in 12:22 (9.7/60)
  4. Justin Schultz 9 shots in 62:17 (8.7/60)
  5. Brandon Davidson 1 shot in 9:40 (6.2/60)

How does that compare to some other NHL defensemen who see significant 5×4 time?

1. Justin Faulk 53 shots in 139:06 (22.8/60)
  2. Brent Burns 47 shots in 153:46 (18.4/60)
  3. Dustin Byfuglien 40 shots in 134:10 (17.9/60)
  4. Kevin Shattenkirk 19 shots in 84:55 (13.4/60)

I don’t think this is especially informative—Shattenkirk has 15 power-play points in those 85 minutes, Andrej Sekera has five power-play points in his—but it does give us an idea about the range of shots from some of the best players in the game at the discipline.

• Frank Seravalli: Nothing is imminent, but St. Louis Blues defenceman Kevin Shattenkirk’s name is out there again, two sources confirmed, after whispers that he might be available first surfaced last summer. Shattenkirk might be as thought provoking for teams as Jones, since proven top-pairing defencemen so rarely become available. Source

St. Louis needs to add offense up front, and Edmonton has some forwards who could help. If Chiarelli is willing to move Ryan Nugent-Hopkins or Jordan Eberle, perhaps there is a deal to be made.

I like Shattenkirk, but there is a negative: He is a free agent in summer 2017 and there are no guarantees he signs here at that time. That makes it difficult to proceed in an Eberle-for-Shattenkirk deal. Here is another problem: St. Louis can’t take on cap dollars, so were are probably looking at a bigger deal.

POSSIBLE TRADE

The Blues are banged up right now, so this may be a deal that happens in summer (maybe on the draft floor), but what about this:

• Oilers trade Jordan Eberle ($6M) and a draft pick
  • St. Louis trades Troy Brouwer ($3.667M, UFA this summer) and Kevin Shattenkirk ($4.25M)

The Blues get their scoring winger and don’t have to worry about the Shattenkirk deal. They also get cost certainty long term on Eberle and a pick (I am awful at guessing these things, so leave you to suggest the quality of the pick). Edmonton gets their power-play quarterback, a pricey forward and walk Justin Schultz. If it is Nuge instead, how much does that change things? I do like Brouwer but he is not delivering enough offense. Paajarvi? He doesn’t cover the cap issue. Like him, too.

What about this?

• Oilers trade RNH ($6M) and Brandon Davidson ($.585M and RFA)
  • St. Louis trades Kevin Shattenkirk ($4.25M) and Ivan Barbashev ($.894M)

Thoughts?

103 Responses to "FINDING A SOLUTION FOR THE POWER PLAY PROBLEM"

1. flea says:

Throw in MPS and you got a deal LT!

2. Klima's_Bucket says:

Florida vs Edmonton

First off, thanks to all Lowetiders who gave restaurant, beer and parking advice.
    I only make it to Edmonton once a year, so thanks again for making it a memorable weekend.
    Despite the drive back to Saskatoon last night after the game and barely getting any sleep before work today, it was totally worth it.

Thank you again.

Here are my observations from the game.

1. Jaromir Jagr is a joy to watch. It was my first time seeing him play live. I hope he can stay healthy and keep playing a while longer in the NHL. Crazy how good he is and at 44 next month is remarkable.

2. Sekera had a few brain camps that led to icings. One thing I noticed about Sekera is that he holds the puck so long to make the smart play that he takes a lot of hits that most Dmen don’t take because they move the puck a lot quicker.

3. Hall was a joy to watch every time he stepped out on the ice.

4. Justin Schultz had one of the worst shifts I had ever seen in my life. The Oilers finally managed to regain the puck with time and Schultz puts a soft pass up the middle that was easily intercepted and led to a scoring chance.

5. Hendricks was a beast. I loved everything about his game except the hit on Ekblad. I hope he keeps playing like a bat out of hell.

6. Gryba was great in his own end with a few thunderous hits.

7. Talbot was unlucky on the Jagr goal and was left out to dry on the Huberdeau goal. I thought he made a few great saves despite the lack of shots from a lifeless Panthers group.

8. Nuge was extremely feisty all night. Ekblad and Nuge had a war of words and whacks each and every shift.

Here is my humble opinion on the shenanigans from last night.

I don’t think you need to immediately fight someone after they lay a big/questionable hit on one of your teammates.
    I prefer the method of taking a number and making sure you finish your check hard on all the other team’s players and especially hard on the player that laid the questionable hit on your team.
    However, with that being said.
    I thought the response from Florida was remarkable.
    Nick Bjugstad came to his teammates defense for what he admitted was “the first ever fist-fight of his life” and was left a bloodied mess by Gryba.
    Logan Shaw had his first NHL fight coming to Ekblad’s defense and did poorly in a bout with the seasoned Hendricks.
    I believe these moments help bring a team together.
    I expect the next meeting between Florida and Edmonton to be a feisty affair as both teams seem to have a lot of ill will toward one another.

In closing.
    My wife bought me tickets to this Florida game as a Christmas gift.
    And it was the night Petr Klima was honored as part of legends night in closing down Rexall Place in Edmonton.
    Couldn’t have planned it better.
    Long Live Petr Klima!!
    Cheers!

3. bcoil says:

Would you folks get over trying to trade the Nuge he is a very good Centre and that is the most valuable commodity in the NHL .You don’t trade them away .He will centre Hall and Drisiatle. And when Drisaitle is ready to be a NHL centre in two years maybe then you look at a trade bit not before.In the mean time you have all kinds of options with MAcDavid Nuge and Driasatle in your line up but you DONT trade any of the three for at least 2 years that is a stupid move

4. Protagonist says:

I haven’t been spending substantial time watching the PP (didn’t watch last nights game at all) but to me some of the problems relate to another hole on the PP: the one in front of the net. A netfront presence draws a defender immediately, because an unabated screen is just something that you can’t tolerate on the ice because it turns every shot dangerous and percentages shoot up. So you need to get a defender to the man in the slot right away to deal with him.

That forces the box to collapse into a triangle, which suddenly frees up wingers on the half-wall and shots from the point at much higher ratios, as you’ve suddenly got 3 men defending 4, rather than 4 men defending 5. You can stretch out the usable ice much more at that point, more passing lanes open up, and even the men down low have increased utility. If we had someone to park in front of the net with skill time after time (a Johan Franzen if you will) we’d clearly do that, but our current group on the PP typically eschews this part of the ice, even for quick bouts. They play to the outside, which plays to the strengths of the box: being able to quickly react to the puck wherever the offensive team moves it, and pretty much neuters the shot from the point when you’ve got two defenders in position to challenge anything from the blue line.

Now the answer isn’t to take Luke Gazdic and park him in front of the net, as you still need to have skill to bang at loose pucks and hands to put in re-bounds, but I think our PP would benefit from not only a few more shots from the point (say, double, or tripple) but also those low forwards going to the net with increased vigor and reliability. Someone like a Benoit Pouliot has a projectable enough frame to get in there, and enough skill to maybe bang a puck home or two.

I’m not asking for a consistent presence, but unscreened shots from the point that the goaltender sees for 30 feet can’t be that high percentage of a shot, and the odds of passing the puck to a good open inside look against a box are drastically lower than the Oilers seem to think they are. If they are going to continue trying to pass the puck into an open net (saint Mahovolich preserve us, you know this won’t change) then at the very least getting to the front of the net increases their odds.

5. OF17 says:

I like that deal LT. I think the pick would have to be substantial, but it would be worth it. Shattenkirk is exactly what this team needs, a RH offensive blueliner who’s one of the best in the business. One of the best passers in the game too, which directly aids Edmonton’s biggest area of weakness, breakout passes from the D.

Berglund would also help considerably. Adds a center, a bigger body, a guy who can play a two-way game. He could take some of the defensive responsibility from Nuge, allowing him more offensive deployment, or he could form part of a PvP line with Nuge, or be a veteran presence on a McDavid-Yakupov line. He would give McLellan tons of options up front, which is always a good thing.

6. Oilspill says:

LIKE Shattenkirk. Never get him for Eberle. A SOLID RIGHT HANDED Dman requires a premium. Throw in a good prospect and a 2nd round pick and you might get him from the blues.

7. Thor762 says:

Damn, Lowetide. That was a fast reply to my question on what Shattenkirk might be worth to the Oilers from the last thread. Thanks.

I like your idea on a possible trade. As much as Eberle is an excellent goal scorer, I am weary of being cold in January and softly weaping in the fetal position at another season lost because the D-corps hasn’t been given help again.

A year of playing with Hall and McDavid and piling up assists while helping them win games might be enough to convince Shattenkirk to sign another longer deal.

8. speeds says:

Oilspill:

Eberle for 2 extra years vs Shattenkirk is already too much of a premium, IMO.

I don’t see EDM being a good fit for a Shattenkirk trade unless an extension is part of the deal, that can’t happen until after July 1

9. PunjabiOil says:

speeds: Eberle for 2 extra years vs Shattenkirk is already too much of a premium, IMO.

But you could get permission to discuss an extension prior to the trade, and then finalize the papers on July 1

10. lynn says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    Florida vs Edmonton

Thank you again.

Here are my observations from the game.

1. Jaromir Jagr is a joy to watch.It was my first time seeing him play live.I hope he can stay healthy and keep playing a while longer in the NHL.Crazy how good he is and at 44 next month is remarkable.

2. Sekera had a few brain camps that led to icings.One thing I noticed about Sekera is that he holds the puck so long to make the smart play that he takes a lot of hits that most Dmen don’t take because they move the puck a lot quicker.

3. Hall was a joy to watch every time he stepped out on the ice.

4. Justin Schultz had one of the worst shifts I had ever seen in my life.The Oilers finally managed to regain the puck with time and Schultz puts a soft pass up the middle that was easily intercepted and led to a scoring chance.

5. Hendricks was a beast.I loved everything about his game except the hit on Ekblad.I hope he keeps playing like a bat out of hell.

6. Gryba was great in his own end with a few thunderous hits.

7.Talbot was unlucky on the Jagr goal and was left out to dry on the Huberdeau goal.I thought he made a few great saves despite the lack of shots from a lifeless Panthers group.

8. Nuge was extremely feisty all night.Ekblad and Nuge had a war of words and whacks each and every shift.

Here is my humble opinion on the shenanigans from last night.

However, with that being said.
    I thought the response from Florida was remarkable.
    Nick Bjugstad came to his teammates defense for what he admitted was“the first ever fist-fight of his life” and was left a bloodied mess by Gryba.
    I believe these moments help bring a team together.

In closing.
    My wife bought me tickets to this Florida game as a Christmas gift.
    Couldn’t have planned it better.
    Long Live Petr Klima!!
    Cheers!

Petr Klima was a great Oiler. Glad he got recognition last night in the last year of playing in Rexall.

11. speeds says:

PunjabiOil,

of course, but it wouldn’t be signed as part of the deal. You also might lose some leverage if you aren’t negotiating the contract as part of the trade.

speeds:
    PunjabiOil,

Agree it is more of a summer deal.

13. Braden88 says:

If St Lois doesn’t want to take on cap then I would greatly prefer to throw Yakupov at them. 8 games with McDavid is not enough to make him worth keeping. He is still a largely inconsistent forward. Yet his success will continue to make him more tradable

In this case St Lois has the draw of potentially pairing Yakupov with Tarasenko. If i am PC i would have offered Yak and a pic ( or potentially more) immediately.

14. Psyche says:

Klima’s_Bucket:

“I don’t think you need to immediately fight someone after they lay a big/questionable hit on one of your teammates…I thought the response from Florida was remarkable…While I did think the Gudbranson hit on Hall was clean I would have liked to see someone at least make sure Gudbranson was aware that the Oilers team doesn’t like seeing their star player get hit hard.”

/blockquote>

I have to agree with your sentiments. I guess that’s an inner sense of loyalty and competitiveness that doesn’t burn as hot in some people. If my star teammate gets flattened my immediate reaction would be to get in the face of the person who did the flattening. 🙂
    Must be something in the Saskatoon water that makes us think this way.

15. Stud Muffin says:

Oh no! LT is on Spector and Rishaugs trade RNH propaganda wagon.

Stud Muffin:
    Oh no! LT is on Spector and Rishaugs trade RNH propaganda wagon.

I would not trade the Nuge, but I am also not the GM.

17. John Chambers says:

Problem with Shattenkirk is that as an East Coast American does he really want to spend the prime of his career in Northern Alberta, the remote outpost of the NHL circuit.

I can’t see him sitting down excitedly with his agent to pen his signature into a contract to play for a team and city that he probably associates with very negatively.

But from a fit perspective he’s like Seabrook without the age risk.

18. russ99 says:

So let me get this straight, the way to fix the powerplay isn’t to change how and where we’re shooting from, but rather get a better point shot.

How hard it is for McLellan to mix it up a bit?

I’ll fix the powerplay:

1: stop running 4 forwards, and use two defensmen: one who can move the puck, and one who can shoot.
    2. Give up on the front of the net crease clogger idea, both Pouliot and Purcell aren’t greasy enough to clean up the way Smyth and Penner could.
    3. Move the puck and skaters to create space and look for mismatches, we do have an extra man, let’s stop playing like we don’t. Standing around in the same areas trying the same safe plays makes it too easy for the opposition.
    4. Sacrifice possession for quality shots in close. If we can get it back, great, but the point of having an extra man is to score, not play keep away.

19. Halfwise says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    Florida vs Edmonton

Thank you again.

Here are my observations from the game.

In closing.
    My wife bought me tickets to this Florida game as a Christmas gift.
    Couldn’t have planned it better.
    Long Live Petr Klima!!
    Cheers!

I think it’s great that you can get info from this group of miscreants and savants, drive 4 or so hours, enjoy yourself, see a hard fought game with your guy being honoured and stop by to write about it. The world can be a good place.

The Oilers make me question my sanity pretty much every week. I’m glad they gave you a memorable experience.

20. geowal says:

Klima’s_Bucket,

Great post. Thanks for sharing. Does the handle have a personal connection to Klima?

21. Zelepukin says:

We have to be one of the lowest, if the not lowest, one-timer attempts teams in the league. We have never even attempted a system which presents that as an optional threat on the PP.

Obviously it starts with Jultz having no shot whats-so-ever. Nuge will set up on his off-wing and more often then not, Hall will play the left side, so he is really only ever open for a backdoor play or to set up our muffin-baker for a wrister.

In the instances we do have Ebs playing his off-wing as a right handy option on the left side, he’ll never present himself as a one-timer option and typically doesn’t take a lot of one-timers anyways.

This is not to say that you can only score off the one-timer on a pp, but it makes the PK’s strategy alot easier. You can be much more forceful, knowing that quick pass to the side boards player is not going to move quickly again. Rather, Nuge or Halls or Ebs, is going to hang onto it for a bit, look for their weak slot deflection play or pass it back for the muffin shot.

Our only true one-timer forward is Yaks and everyone here has always known it. His accuracy is wild but I believe he just need some runs on the board. His shot is freakishly hard and fast and if I’m the PK, I’m going to ease up on pressure, to ensure the passing lanes to the shooter are covered.

The question then becomes, what’s your secondary threat? Yaks has to play his off-wing which unless you have Ebs on the other half-boards, leaves us with our best playmakers playing their strong side. Not a big issue, you just need to have a good down-low strategy with that support forward on the left side.

Right now our PP strategy is one of two plays, both extremely low percentage of success. We have the short redirect play, where the half boards puck carrier shoot/passes in the slot, hoping the forward in front redirects it. The second, which is even more hilarious, is a quick wrister from the point, that 100% needs a deflection in order to go in. It’s too weak for a rebound and because its a quick play due to the PK applying pressure, its often directed just wide of the net or before any player is providing a screen.

22. LostBoy says:

i don’t know where it’s going to come from, but for all the worry about having a defense that can play defense, the single thing this team is missing more than anything else is a true offensive defenseman. Justin Schultz was supposed to be it, but clearly isn’t. Klefbom and Nurse will likely grow into able puck movers (Klefbom is pretty much there already), but a lot of the forward talent is partially wasted without someone to truly complement them on the back end. Throw a Lubo just past his prime into the mix and the result would be transformative. Is it that hard to find a Torey Krug level offensive D? Sami Vatanen would be perfect. The holy grail is seen as a “true first pairing D” or whatever. A true offensive defenseman would arguably make more of a difference. Hell, Yandle could put up 40-50 points in his sleep when he was playing with a pretty pedestrian F corps in Arizona. We’re missing more than I think we realize as we watch one of the purest collection of F talent assembled in the modern era play without a true offensive D.

23. anonymous says:

I’be accepted the fact that likely Nuge or Eberle get traded for help on D, however I’d trade the pick and pieces. We’d be selling low due to perception around the league that these players haven’t lived up to the hype whereas our first is highly touted. Both these perceptions influenced by perpetual losing.

Wait till the winning starts and sell high on Nuge or Ebs when necessary. The Hawks have been doing this beautifully.

24. TheGreatMutato 2.0 says:

Off topic, but with your affinity for all things Bowie, I was wondering if you are a fan of Hawksley Workman?

He’s far and away my favorite musician going these days and his live shows are always something special and worth more than the price of admission. He played the Winspear recently and has a particular love of Edmonton.

When trying to describe him to friends or newcomers, I often (warmly) refer to him as equal parts Bowie and Freddie Mercury. Perhaps with some room leftover for a bit of Tom Waits. It’s burlesque rock and roll.

I just struggle to imagine a world where he would be doing what he does when David Bowie never existed.

Particularly a song like this:

25. Water Fire says:

The PP is bad because the players are hesitant and confused. It will get better. The coming success will breed confidence in all.

————————-

“What about this?

Oilers trade RNH ($6M) and Brandon Davidson ($.585M and RFA)
    St. Louis trades Kevin Shattenkirk ($4.25M) and Ivan Barbashev ($.894)”

Shawshank

Talented light duty D, will go to shit on the Oilers.

Sekera, Nurse, Klef and Davie have enough for the PP. If they bring in defensive stability that can skate, so the whole group can relax, everything will get better.

Most of the bones are in the bag. Now that there is somebody that can put the skeleton together, the missing pieces can be seen.

26. OilClog says:

I’d keep Nyge and Ebs, over a year of Shat. One season is not enough of a return

27. Optimism is Foolish says:

If we make a trade with the Blues it would be nice to see just before the draft. Please keep in mind I expect them to be one and done in the playoffs again causing a need for shuffling.

My trade idea would be Backes and Shattenkirk For Eberle, Davidson and 2016 picks being conditional on both players signing here. Backes a 2 year overpay and Shatenkirk a 4 year deal.

28. kinger_OIL says:

TheGreatMutato 2.0,

– I’ve always thought Hawksely should be more embraced by the “main-stream”

29. PeOiler says:

TheGreatMutato 2.0,

Love that guy. Some good stuff on that ‘Mounties’ album as well.

30. kinger_OIL says:

Question: Is it easier for the Oil to do transactions to improve during the season vs. off-season?

– The conventional playbook for the bottom teams at half-way mark isn’t to get better before the draft, as that effects draft position, but what is our best strategy? What is the likely strategy?

31. Optimism is Foolish says:

kinger_OIL,

If we don’t win a whole bunch of games real quick I would imagine it is same old same with sell at the deadline and try to buy during the draft.

32. kinger_OIL says:

Optimism is Foolish,

– Your probably right, I’m just trying to understand the game theory a bit for the Oil from now to start of next season in terms of optimal times for transactions to improve:

– At the trade deadline, not all the teams are trying to get better (but less supply)

– In the off-season, every team is trying to get better (but more supply)

– So do you trade with a team that doesn’t want to get better this season before trade deadline?

33. wheatnoil says:

I’d prefer Hamonic over Shattenkirk… but I’m not sure there’s a deal there that makes sense for the Islanders.

I’m very pro-Eberle, but if that’s the cost, is it softened at all by the knowledge that you’ll get one of Matthews, Puljujarvi or Laine at the draft? (I assume this trade doesn’t happen until near the draft when the picks are set)

34. knighttown says:

I’m sort of of the mind that Shattenkirk is the ideal add here factoring price and availability. Number 1 in 5v4 points per 60 last year and up there in PP points this year (15). If he’s a bit limited defensively compared to the Doughtys he can play second pair but we’ve got enough defense first guys to take those tough minutes between (of age) Klefbom, Nurse, Sekera, Davidson and Gryba.

Let him play all two minutes of each PP.

Yandle would be a Shattenkirk light.

35. square_wheels says:

John Chambers,

Exact same reason I think Buff signing here is a pipe dream, he is most likely going to the Islanders, Colorado, Dallas or maybe Boston or even Florida.

We need to get back to trading for Slats era emerging talent, find someone else’s Davidson. We must have some RFA years and control the player.

If I was GM I’d be calling the Canes about Pesce.

36. smellyglove says:

You know what would be amazing? If ex-Oiler Ryan Whitney, who didn’t part on the best terms, wrote an all-encompassing expose on his time playing in the KHL.

Oh wait, he did that:

37. square_wheels says:

wheatnoil,

Harmonic is on record stating he wants to remain in Brooklyn this year, if anything shakes out during the season it’s because a bidding war has erupted at the deadline for him. He could still end up in Winnipeg or Vancouver and he’s indicated Colorado may be on his “western” teams list now as well.

Hell, Maloney mentioned the Yotes were not told they are a destination he wouldn’t report to, only that they couldn’t work a deal with Snow.

#1/2 RHD signed four years after this season for 4M……we might be shocked by what someone has to pay. I’d guess Klef + pick is the ask.

38. PDO says:

The PP Fix just came off the IR.

I don’t care if a bobbled puck resulted in him giving up the first shorty of all time…. put Yak on the point.

39. wheatnoil says:

Or… wait for it…

Take the Nuge / Davidson for Shattenkirk / Barbashev trade.

Trade Eberle for Hamonic.

Sign Stamkos $10M x 7 years!

Where do you get $10M you ask? Let Schultz, Purcell, Nikitin walk, clearing up about $13M in cap room (of which ~$3M goes to Klefbom’s new contract, leaving $10M on the table).

Use the money saved on the Eberle and Nuge deals (~$3M) to sign Talbot.

Buy-out Ference. Draft Puljujarvi.

Hall – Draisaitl – Stamkos
    Pouliot – McDavid – Yakupov
    Slepyshev – Barbashev – Puljujarvi
    Hendricks – Letestu – Korpikoski
    Lander, Pakarinan

Sekera – Shattenkirk
    Klefbom – Hamonic
    Nurse – Fayne
    Reinhart

Talbot ($3.5M x 2)
    Broissoit

Cap Hit = $62.5M, leaving ~$8M for ELC bonuses and Ference buy-out.

BAM! Stanley Cup!

🙂

40. frjohnk says:

With a Eberle for Shattenkirk swap, the Oilers deal from a position of strength ( forward) to fix a position of weakness ( defense). In a vacumn I do that deal right now and I’m an Eberle fan.

The problem is that as an asset, Shattenkirk is 1 year from UFA this summer.

Shattenkirk could be a one year rental.

We can not risk losing that asset within a year. We are bottom of the standings, we have no forwards in our system projecting to be even top 9.

I like Shattenkirk more than Hamonic, but Hamonic is the play, because there is more term in his contract.

41. square_wheels says:

I’d pay to listen to Ryan Whitney commentary on the NHL, that article was GOLD.

knighttown:
    I’m sort of of the mind that Shattenkirk is the ideal add here factoring price and availability. Number 1 in 5v4 points per 60 last year and up there in PP points this year (15).If he’s a bit limited defensively compared to the Doughtys he can play second pair but we’ve got enough defense first guys to take those tough minutes between (of age) Klefbom, Nurse, Sekera, Davidson and Gryba.

Let him play all two minutes of each PP.

Yandle would be a Shattenkirk light.

Even if you can’t be guaranteed to re-sign Shattenkirk you have 18 months to change his mind.

Playing with McDavid changes the perception of the Oilers as a destination in the NHL is a big way.

Everyone needs to get over the “Edmonton is a cold, remote outpost” thing.

Hockey players want to play with good players and win the Cup.

They were lined up 50 deep to play here in the 80’s and many people said that the day the lottery balls dropped Edmonton came off of many NTC lists.

Most of them play for the game.

Most players (including ones in LA, FLA, ARI) don’t live year round in their club city anyhow.

43. frjohnk says:

wheatnoil: Or… wait for it…
    Take the Nuge / Davidson for Shattenkirk / Barbashev trade.

No way is the Nuge traded for 1 year of Shattenkirk.

If Nuge is going to be traded it shouldn’t be until Draisaitl and McDavid no longer have milk on their lips.

frjohnk: No way is the Nuge traded for 1 year of Shattenkirk.

Unless of course Stamkos comes here.

45. Quinlan says:

John Chambers:

Is this actually a thing? I mean, how many players have actually made choices this way in the last 5 years? Just curious – I recognize that it factors into the equation, but I’ve always thought that it is really money and the chance to win that do the most convincing.

For me, if I was a 26 year-old offensive defencman who could play on a powerplay unit with either Connor McDavid or Taylor Hall for the next 5-10 years I’d be giving it a long look. And if the team offered me 6.5 – 7M X 8 yrs to do it?

That might make me excited.

46. Klima's_Bucket says:

geowal,

My first ever memory of watching hockey is staying up way past late with my old man. I was hiding beside the couch so mom wouldn’t see I was watching the game.

Klima netted the OT winner in triple OT.

Here’s the footage.

Needless to say when I jumped from beside the couch and screamed in celebration into my dad’s arms mom was not very happy with me or dad for quite some time…

47. wheatnoil says:

frjohnk: No way is the Nuge traded for 1 year of Shattenkirk.

I mostly just wanted to clear cap room for Stamkos. 😉

48. frjohnk says:

Woodguy: Yeah, I don’t think Chia even thinks of moving RNH until McDavid’s ELC runs out.

Unless of course Stamkos comes here.

Or a huge blockbuster that would return a number 1 D stud and a Horcoff ala 2010 or so.

49. square_wheels says:

Woodguy,

Yes. So what if Stamkos signs here, but he’s explicit: “sign 2 more NHL D in the next year or I not inking anything longer than xx years “, do we really want a Buff salary ?

Hedman is a UFA after next season and so is Burns. I’d agree many players only care about winning, but certain players ooze the opposite. I sense Buff is that guy, he showed up to camp at 300 lbs.

I am formerly a skeptic of the LA approach, worry about winning and sort the contracts later…..but successful teams attract talent and make ok players look far better.

In 3 years, after Stamkos is all of 31 and putting up huge numbers…..trade him or decide he’s a better long term player than Nuge, Ebs, who the fuck ever…..but winning Cups makes this a debate equivalent of marrying a supermodel that’s blonde vs brunette.

50. frjohnk says:

wheatnoil: I mostly just wanted to clear cap room for Stamkos.

Have not you heard?

Stamkos is done.

He had something like 12 goals last year playing with future hall of famer George Callahan. Or maybe his brother Steve. Ah, whatever, I’m not sure, but it was one of the Callahans and Stamkos clearly showed his is finished.

You need to aim higher 🙂

( Id love Stamkos but at discount)

51. square_wheels says:

Klima's_Bucket,

My favourite memory of Klima is actually an Esa interview, where Esa goes on about playing with The Klima and The Murphy.

Please tell me there is an Esa night upcoming ?

52. Bman says:

Well 10 years out of the playoffs and all we do is believe we can not trade one of the core.

The team is flawed. They do not have the whole team concept.

To keep the core together means another year or two out of the playoffs

53. RJ2016 says:

Two things:

The PP: 7th under Krueger. 21st under Eakins. 19th under Eakins/Nelson.

27th under McLellan/Woodcroft. They are worse than Eakins. I’m sure it gets a bump from adding McDavid, but an Eakins PP would also have seen a bump adding a McDavid. This is not a defence of Eakins, just that this PP sucks, and should be a lot better.

Shattenkirk: I’m perfectly fine trading either Nuge or Eberle for defensive help, but it should be for a defenceman with more term than 1 season. They would need to lock him up long-term.

(Speaking of which, Nuge/Jones is terrible but Nuge/Shattenkirk is a good move?)

Trading Nuge in the off-season would have the added benefit of allowing Chiarelli to add a veteran 2/3 C to play the tougher minutes and win faceoffs (something Nuge can’t do very well at 45%.)

54. square_wheels says:

Isles lose Hamonic for 2-3 weeks with a lower body injury……

55. Showerhead says:

Zelepukin,

More people should acknowledge your post.

If you’re defending Edmonton’s powerplay, what aspect of it do you legitimately fear?

No bomb from the point and only a moderate amount of creativity on the halfboards. The puck movement doesn’t make up for the lack of weaponry and in fact is nowhere near as good as it should be with the amount of talent on the team.

Yakupov’s bomb should be a prominent feature but his struggles at ES have often kept him off the PP. Even when things are going well for him he sprays enough shots high or wide to make you wonder.

At least the entries, by eye, are better than last year. They’ve finally learned how to lateral.

56. Bank Shot says:

frjohnk: No way is the Nuge traded for 1 year of Shattenkirk.

Why? It’s not like Hopkins is well suited to take all of the defensive zone draws to give Draisaitl/McDavid the offensive ones.

The Nuge is only 30% on defensive zone draws. Now I’m not obsessed with faceoffs or anything of the sort, but when you are giving your opponent the puck 70 times out of a 100 in the defensive zone, you’re just not going to have a very good time.

Draisaitl is already doing better than him at 38%.

Plus according to behindthenet, Draisaitl has been facing slightly stronger competition than RNH has and has a much better relative corsi.

I think what behindthenet is saying is that whichever center plays with Taylor Hall will be just fine.

Now it doesn’t have to be Nuge traded. The Oilers could just as easily trade Draisaitl for a top flight defender.

The point is that they need to get one, and they can’t really afford to wait through years and years of free agency signing the Sekera’s of the world until the perfect steal of a deal for a really good defenseman comes along.

57. flyfish1168 says:

Kevin would be a great addition. But UFA status in 18 months is to steep price if Jordan involved.

Hall-Stamkos-Draisaitl (17.9MM – Stamkos at 8.5MM)
    Pou-McDavid-Yak (10.3MM)
    Pakarinen-Berglund-Kassian ($6.45MM – Pak at $1MM)
    Hendricks-Letestu-Korpse (6.15MM)
    Lander ($1MM)

Total forward cost $41.8MM – $5.325 of that ELC bonuses

Sekera-Hamonic ($9.4)
    Klefbom-Shattenkirk ($8.4)
    Nurse-Fayne ($5.3)
    Reinhart ($3.2)

Total Dman cost $26.3M – $3.2 of that ELC bonuses

Now that’s a Dcorps of a playoff team. 6 good players playing at their established NHL level.

Talbot $3.5MM
    Nilsson $1.5MM

Total goalie cost $5MM

Ference buyout $1.08

Grand total $74.18

$72.5MM cap so ELC bonus relief = $5.43 so the actual Cap $68.75

Ha!

That fit first try without dinking some numbers.

Handy that Stamkos fit at $8.5 eh? Hehehe.

Backup goalies cost $1MM in July so you can save $500K if you want by not re-signing Nilsson

Davidson, Eberle and RNH gone to acquire the two Dmen and Berglund.

RNH gone for Hamonic + + (++ because RNH is an overpay there) after Stamkos signs of course.

Eberle and Davidson gone for Shattenkirk + Berglund.

McDavid (for sure) and Drai (maybe) hit some bonuses to gotta keep it around $68 when not including bonuses.

Also,

This is me having fun. Don’t take it too seriously.

square_wheels,

In 3 years, after Stamkos is all of 31

3 years from today Stamkos is 28.

He turns 26 in February.

True story.

60. square_wheels says:

Woodguy,

I’m taking it serious, it’s all I have left.

And I’m out of Wild Turkey 101.

61. Fog of Warts says:

I’m not sure this will help our powerplay.

The Oral History Of The Poop Emoji

Then again, I’m not sure it won’t.

Just for reference: Unicode Character ‘PILE OF POO’ (U+1F4A9)

———

Edit (from article, which I hadn’t finished reading myself):

There were a lot of purists who felt like emoji was invading the purity of email. We pushed hard for the poop emoji.

62. square_wheels says:

Woodguy,

Jeebus, I thought he was 27 turning 28. Regardless, I’m fine with anyone in this team going if we get the hell out of the lottery region and into playoff hockey.

I’d find a way to keep Davidson and dump Fayne, but damn that D is very nice.

And that is my kind of 3rd line.

63. Thor762 says:

Woodguy,

If St Louis has a problem with scoring, what is going to help them more in their playoff run?
    A very good defenseman stuck behind other very good defencemen in the depth chart, or a skilled scoring winger like Eberle? If you’re loading up at the trade deadline to make a push that is.

To add to the Stamkos idea, would he theoretically see Edmonton as a more promising destination, not just because of McDavid, but if they were able to pick up an excellent puck moving defenseman and powerplay specialist at the deadline?

18 months to convince Shattenkirk to stay, as he piles up points passing to McDavid, Hall, and Drai.

They either take the chance and try to sign him, or lose out and potentially watch a Pacific rival pick up Shattenkirk. Now wouldn’t that just taste all variety of bitter?

square_wheels:
    Isles lose Hamonic for 2-3 weeks with a lower body injury……

QUICK!! TRADE THEM JULTZ FOR A 2ND!!!!!!!!

square_wheels:
    Woodguy,

I’m taking it serious, it’s all I have left.

And I’m out of Wild Turkey 101.

Oh, you want serious?

Trade Pou for futures and make Snow take back Korpse with RNH instead of him adding ++ due to the overpay.

That frees up $6.5MM for…..

…….
    ………
    ………
    ……….
    wait for it……..
    ………..
    ………..

LUCIC!!!!!!!!!!

66. Dr. Taboggan says:

Woodguy,

In the more likely case that Stamkos does not sign here it seems possible to acquire Hamonic and Shattenkirk while retaining RNH.

Eberle/Yak (depending on how the rest of this season goes) for Hamonic (draft picks and prospects where needed)
    This seems like a reasonable trade for Snow in the offseason. Top 10 RW to play with Tavares. Replaces Okoposo.

2016 or 2017 1st (depending on where we finish in the standings) for Shattenkirk
    St. Louis is close to the cap and will need to resign Backes this offseason. The Oilers 1st rounder will be worth a lot. Almost a guarantee it will be a top 10 pick.

67. Klima's_Bucket says:

3 Games for Hendricks.
    He’ll be back in the lineup just in time to play Florida next monday.
    Hopefully Ekblad is back in the lineup by then as well.

68. Mr DeBakey says:

Woodguy: That frees up $6.5MM for…..
    …….
    ………
    ………
    ……….
    wait for it……..
    ………..
    ………..
    LUCIC!!!!!!!!!!

The day after the Oilers traded for Kassian I said some strong things about him on this blog.
    But, you know, I kinda hope he straightens up, plays good, and makes the Oilers a better team.
    Cuz having him here may keep the Oilers from blowing their brains out [if they have any] on Lucic and Byfuglian.
    But I’m not holding my breath

Three games for Hendrix. Are you experienced?

70. Klima's_Bucket says:

I’m not, but clearly Ekblad was in Electric Ladyland following that hit from Hendrix.
    How in the blue blazes did the Panthers let Ekblad come back and play after wobbling off the ice like that?

Dr. Taboggan:
    Woodguy,

Eberle/Yak (depending on how the rest of this season goes) for Hamonic(draft picks and prospects where needed)

I think Yak gets you a Dman like Severson or maybe Gelinas (both RHD from NJD), not Hamonic or Shattenkirk.

Armstrong and Hitch are on the hot seat in STL and need to go deep in the playoffs.

We are all basing this on the rumour that Shattenkirk is available for scoring help, so futures doesn’t do it there.

In order to move Eberle there you have to take a contract back. LT mentioned Brower (due to UFA status) Berglund is one STL has been trying to move for years after overpaying.

Schwartz is the big re-signing in the off season and will probably make $5.5-$6.5.

If Backes to too much money they might not re-sign him and go with:

Statsny
    Steen
    Lehtera

as their top 3 C’s

That would give them on the wings:
    RW: Tarasenko, Eberle
    LW: Schwartz

Its STL to they probably add some beef back into the line up, but that’s pretty nice 5/6 and a good 3C.

Then they have Fabbri and Barbashev too. Fabbri was a C in junior but has played LW on STL.

72. Really? says:

I agree totally that it would be a bad idea to trade Nuge. We are just now in a position where we will be able to enjoy having 3 sound/productive centres (McDavid, Draisaitl and Nuge). To make a trade now would leave us forever wondering what might have been and we will strip the team of some truly amazing flexibility.

If a trade is to be made let it be this summer after we have the chance to see what these three can bring.

The Falmes just lost 4 of 5 at home to Pacific teams.

Hot when the Oilers are hot to take the spotlight off the Oil nationally.

Cold when the Oil are cold, but its not enough to take the spotlight off the Oil.

74. bendelson says:

Woodguy,

Gelinas is a left shot – a good shot but a left shot.

75. speeds says:

Bman:

The team is flawed. They do not have the whole team concept.

To keep the core together means another year or two out of the playoffs

For me it’s not about not trading the core, but the trade has to make sense.

Eberle for Hamonic, I like Eberle but I understand that trade, you’re addressing a need, getting a player signed for a lower cap hit and for one extra year.

Shattenkirk, also like the player and would like to see EDM get him some way but the combo of contract, cost, and contract extension probably don’t work as well.

76. Professor Q says:

Ouch…that Hendricks suspension… :/

It was a bad and dirty hit, though. It doesn’t matter if it’s in retaliation or not. Ekbkad looked so out of it afterward, too.

That being said it was very chippy last night.

Odd that he had to fight Shaw and not the guy who crosschecked him from behind (I’m not for fighting but it just seemed random…also why wasn’t that looked into?).

77. A'bunadh says:

I’m really tired of Spec, Gregor and the MSM going on and on about the Oilers not standing up for each other. Gregor said straight out the Oilers are losers because of it.. He was lauding Fla for coming after Hendricks after the Ekblad hit. Apples to oranges. Hendricks hit was suspension worthy and Gudbranson’s on Hall was a clean beauty.

If you are going to respond to a big hit I don’t think you would do anything less than drop the gloves. I went through the top 4 teams of each conference last year and averaged the number of fighting majors to players with more than 12 minutes of ice time to weed out the 4th liner goons.
    In 2014/2015 the overall average was 21 majors and the average >12min players was 15.5 majors. Chicago last year had a team total of 15 and only 8 from players averaging 12min+. The year before they had 16 majors and 8 to actual hockey players. Last year Washington had 8 to 12+min players as well. The Oilers had 30 total and 17 from players averaging 12min+. If Gregor is right I guess Chicago and Washington just must never get hit because according to him standing up (fighting) is a major part of success. I guess I watched a different game than they did because I saw us push back and stand up for each other more than they have in a long time.

78. Mustard Tiger says:

For those still hoping for playoffs, gord damn virtanen tied it up with 2:30 left

79. AsiaOil says:

Eberle is not going to get you Shattenkirk as the contract is both negative (big cap hit) and positive (years of control). Eberle does not have a “bad” contract by any means but it’s not a “value” contract either. Years of control is also over-valued in EDM because the place was toxic before this year and no wanted to play there. STL and many others places have few problems retaining players if they value. I like Shats but don’t see a fit with STL.

Still think a 3-way between NYI/NJD/EDM is the deal.

To EDM: Hamonic, Zubrus cap hit ($6.85 million)
    To NYI: Severson, Ruutu ($4.68 million)
    To NJD: Eberle ($6 million cap hit)

bendelson:
    Woodguy,

Gelinas is a left shot – a good shot but a left shot.

Dammit!

Fuck you Bendelson

81. 719 says:

Woodguy:
    Hall-Stamkos-Draisaitl (17.9MM – Stamkos at 8.5MM)
    Pou-McDavid-Yak (10.3MM)
    Pakarinen-Berglund-Kassian ($6.45MM – Pak at $1MM)
    Hendricks-Letestu-Korpse (6.15MM)
    Lander ($1MM)

Total forward cost $41.8MM – $5.325 of that ELC bonuses

Sekera-Hamonic ($9.4)
    Klefbom-Shattenkirk ($8.4)
    Nurse-Fayne ($5.3)
    Reinhart ($3.2)

Total Dman cost $26.3M – $3.2 of that ELC bonuses

Now that’s a Dcorps of a playoff team.6 good players playing at their established NHL level.

Talbot $3.5MM
    Nilsson $1.5MM

Total goalie cost $5MM

Ference buyout $1.08

Grand total $74.18

$72.5MM cap so ELC bonus relief = $5.43 so the actual Cap $68.75

Ha!

That fit first try without dinking some numbers.

Handy that Stamkos fit at $8.5 eh?Hehehe.

Davidson, Eberle and RNH gone to acquire the two Dmen and Berglund.

Eberle and Davidson gone for Shattenkirk + Berglund.

Also,

This is me having fun.Don’t take it too seriously.

My dream scenario for our team would be this. The future cap implications though… In 2017 you have to extend Yakupov, Shattenkirk, Reinhart and Drai. Then 2018 – McDavid and Nurse

82. LadiesloveSmid says:

think Kassian will be up by the time they play FLA next?

83. elphy101 says:

I keep struggling with the RHD options that we are constantly discussing.

Hamonic would be a huge pickup but Snow wants a top defensemen for him and I see no reason to give up Nurse or Klefbom. Unfortunately, I think Winnipeg will be better able to meet Snow’s price of a young defensemen and will cave on Trouba. Our only potential deal with Snow that I see is our 1st round pick or Eberle in the summer and that would take a complicated 3 way trade.

Shattenkirk is appealing but will have a major price tag and the risk of resigning him is huge. He is from Connecticut and has never lived in Canada. He is already on a very good team in St. Louis and appears ready to test the market next year (best evidence is the fact he is on the block). I just don’t see him signing.

Dustin Byfuglien is appealing but that UFA contract if he makes it to UFA status this summer will be scary. I am more terrified of a 7-8 year contract at 7-8 million per year for a DB in his 30’s. That will be an albatross worse than David Clarkson imo. We’d get an amazing couple of years but the cap trouble once all our young stars are off their entry level deals is terrifying.

We need an RHD solution and I keep coming to the conclusion that Justin Faulk is by far the best option. Carolina is in full rebuild mode, I expect Staal & Ward will be traded by the deadline. They have one of the best young dcorps in the league (Hanifin, Fleury, Pesces, Mckneown, Slavin, Carrick, Lowe, and Rissanen. Their gap is top line superstar forwards to fill in the gaps.

To me, the oilers 1st round pick on an unprotected basis would be enough for Carolina to think about that trade. A shot at any of the top 5 picks at the perfect age to pair with their young defense that is emerging. I think if we were to make the following offer, Carolina would think long and hard about it;

To Carolina
    Justin Schultz (to balance salary, asset that could develop value in a less hockey intense market)
    Edm’s 1st round pick unprotected
    Bogdan Yakimov

To Edmonton
    Justin Faulk

84. OF17 says:

elphy101,

I’m starting to wonder if Stamkos isn’t the play. Woodguy and others here have shown evidence that he’ll be a huge contributor for years to come, and this team is going to live or die on its offense just based on team composition. Why not double down on our strength?

Sign Stamkos for $8.5 million per season and trade Eberle + Davidson for Vatanen + Silfverberg. Is that enough?

Hall-Stamkos-Draisaitl
    Kassian-McDavid-Yakupov
    Pouliot-Nuge-Silfverberg
    Korpikoski-Letestu-Lander

Klefbom-Vatanen
    Sekera-Fayne
    Nurse-Reinhart

Talbot
    Nilsson

It’s crazy, but it might just work. Depends on if Vatanen is enough of a D upgrade.

85. Bruce McCurdy says:

OF17: That’s very far below fair value for Justin Faulk. Faulk is one of the best D in the league at the ripe old age of 23 on a great contract. If Carolina’s head office has an ounce of sense, Faulk is one of the most untouchable players in the league.

Damn you, Chiarelli!

86. Zelepukin says:

Showerhead:
    Zelepukin,

More people should acknowledge your post.

Thanks. Very good point about Yaks not getting the proper PP opportunity due to his 5v5 shortcomings in the past.

The one thing I didn’t mention which is also a huge factor, is that Yaks still needs to get better in putting himself in the proper one-timer lanes. He’s more reactive than proactive, which only gets him so far. That’s the Ovechkin factor he needs to learn. Otherwise no one is going to set him up. He already has the insane ability to be able to take a shot from any speed or angle of pass.

87. The Last Of Barrett Privateers says:

Working nights sorry for the late response.

I said on another blog that I think the Oilers get both Hamonic and Shattenkirk this summer, I honestly believe this.

STL has a few holes to fill up front.

I would trade Eberle for Shattenkirk ONLY if he signs a deal.

If Eberle is the cost to obtain Shattenkirk then so be it.

There is a great chance that Patrik Laine will be able to slot right in and not miss Eberle at all……….;)

88. flyfish1168 says:

Woodguy: Yeah, Oilers lack offence from the back end worse than any other team in the NHL.

Everyone needs to get over the “Edmonton is a cold, remote outpost” thing.

Hockey players want to play with good players and win the Cup.

Most of them play for the game.

Most import note to married men.

” Happy Wife Happy Life”

flyfish1168: Hey WG. I agree most players would love to play for a winner or the chance to win. But unfortunately if you are married the spouse will have input into the decision process too

Most import note to married men.

” Happy Wife Happy Life”

Good example – Chris Pronger

Actually that’s an outlier example.

Lauren Pronger comes from money (i.e. way more than Chris made playing hockey) and that creates a different dynamic.

We can’t assume anything and its usually smart not to.

90. unca miltie says:

Sitting in airport, on my way to Glendale via Palm Springs. Waiting patiently for game day post

91. Bank Shot says:

None of the A options are going to sign with Edmonton until they shake the reputation of being a complete loser outfit.

The only way to shake that rep is to win hockey games. The Oilers are failing in that task.

7 games until McDavid.

92. GCW_69 says:

frjohnk: No way is the Nuge traded for 1 year of Shattenkirk.

If the Oilers compete for the cup in 2017/18, McDavid and Draisaitl would be roughly the same age as Crosby and Malkin when the Pens lost to Detroit. The need to keep Nuge to protect McDavid and Leon is overrated when you have an exceptional talent like Crosby or McDavid.

93. GCW_69 says:

AsiaOil:

Still think a 3-way between NYI/NJD/EDM is the deal.

To EDM: Hamonic, Zubrus cap hit ($6.85 million)
    To NYI: Severson, Ruutu ($4.68 million)
    To NJD: Eberle ($6 million cap hit)

Zubrus is way past his prime and is a marginal NHLer at this point. Why would you want him?

94. GCW_69 says:

Bank Shot:

7 games until McDavid.

Agreed. The McDavid bounce in reputation is getting beaten into submission with the Oilers current failures this season.

95. hunter1909 says:

A’bunadh:
    I’m really tired of Spec, Gregor and the MSM going on and on about the Oilers not standing up for each other.Gregor said straight out the Oilers are losers because of it..He was lauding Fla for coming after Hendricks after the Ekblad hit.Apples to oranges.Hendricks hit was suspension worthy and Gudbranson’s on Hall was a clean beauty.

In 2014/2015 the overall average was 21 majors and the average >12min players was 15.5 majors.Chicago last year had a team total of 15 and only 8 from players averaging 12min+.The year before they had 16 majors and 8 to actual hockey players.Last year Washington had 8 to 12+min players as well. The Oilers had 30 total and 17 from players averaging 12min+.If Gregor is right I guess Chicago and Washington just must never get hit because according to him standing up (fighting) is a major part of success.I guess I watched a different game than they did because I saw us push back and stand up for each other more than they have in a long time.

In other words you want to equate teams that get bullied and hit a lot like the Oilers to Chicago’s 3x cup champion team; while simultaneously arguing against fighting in the NHL?

*pages “Steve Smith” *

96. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy: This reminds me of Spector and others saying “There is no way American Jeff Petry or his American wife sign long term in Canada”, and then he signs long term not only in Canada, but in Montreal which is even “more foreign” for most Americans.

An Oilers stooge making asinine predictions?

No way.

97. Professor Q says:

Any interest in Higgins?

hunter1909: An Oilers stooge making asinine predictions?

No way.

He’s not an Oiler stooge.

He’s just not very bright.

99. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy,

NHL players won’t play in Edmonton, since Kevin Lowe+MacT’s greasy fingerprints got all over the Oilers.

hunter1909:
    Woodguy,

That’s fading.

Sekera signed here when others offered him the same.

It will continue to trend up.

McDavid changes everything and we forget that because we only got 13 games of him.

101. Pouzar says:

Bruce McCurdy: Peter Chiarelli should be fired for not having traded for Faulk already. He & OEL would make a fine first pairing and dominate on the powerplay. They are even a L-R pair to satisfy Woodguy’s Law.

Damn you, Chiarelli!

This.

It’s like Chia doesn’t even know that they are totally awesome.

102. Water Fire says:

Woodguy: That’s fading.

Sekera signed here when others offered him the same.

It will continue to trend up.

The Oilers have a very good chance at any UFA now for the next few years. If Chia blows it the shine will wear off.

I’ve posted a few rosters for fun, they can fit a couple of expensive players and still leave a lot of cap open as the site I use calculates.

103. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Pouzar: This.

It’s like Chia doesn’t even know that they are totally awesome.

How is Chia supposed to secure assets like that?

Since we let O’Mark walk we have no one to offer other teams in a trade.