HAMBURGER MIDNIGHT

The Edmonton Oilers folded like a cheap suit at the first sign of pressure last night, forgot their lessons, and assumed the losing position they know so well. Shameful.

It is painful to watch the Oilers these days, even and especially with the lead. A lead, usually two goals, means the next period will be terrible and if it isn’t then the third period will be, no exceptions. Galling? Passed that days ago. Worthy of a genuine primal scream? Did that the Saturday they lost to Calgary. No sir. Whatever else we should have expected from this season, the lack of attention to detail and abandonment of structure we saw last night in the third period simply can’t happen. It’s one thing for a line or pair to start running around, but an entire team? Good grief.

CRACKED ACTORS, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2014: 4-5-1
  • Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0
  • Oilers in November 2014: 2-9-3
  • Oilers in November 2015: 4-7-2
  • Oilers in December 2014: 2-8-4
  • Oilers in December 2015: 7-6-1
  • Oilers in January 2015: 5-7-1
  • Oilers in January 2016: 2-2-1
  • Oilers after 44 in 2014-15: 10-25-9, 29 points (-50 GD)
  • Oilers after 44 in 2015-16: 17-23-4, 38 points (-23 GD)

That third period last night reminded me of my old 1967 Chevy Bel Air Supersport. I would be flying down the highway, burning gas and oil at about the same pace, wondering if any black and white (actually, dark blue and white) would come calling. I think we are close to the end of these Oilers, the unbalanced Oilers, and we are going to see a lot of changes in 2016. Hurry sundown, I am so very ready. I am so tired of this feeling, of these mornings, of absolute astonishment in these Oilers—not just the losses, but the inability to look like a team—I’m ready. Maybe SpongeBob had it right all along.

DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT

oilers blue nov 30

• Darnell Nurse is Todd McLellan’s Marc-Edouard Vlasic—not a single shred of doubt in my mind. The results are not there, but the usage (22:28 EV, 3:09 SH and over 25 minutes overall) is fairly epic in its own way.
  • When McLellan arrived in San Jose, he ran Vlasic heavy. In year one together, the defender played 23:54 a night (18:18EV; 2:56PP; 2:39SH; 28 shifts per game). Nurse isn’t playing as much (21:14 a night) but that was Vlasic’s third season and this is the freshman year for Nurse. The Oilers future No. 1 D is Darnell Nurse, no other reason to feed him these minutes unless the idea is to fast track the learning curve. I really like Darnell Nurse, but do wonder about the usage.
  • Eric Gryba did a lot of good things to my eye, although the late penalty really hurt the team. There were good moments though, you can see why McLellan chooses him for those 15 minutes a night. Stops the cycle, impedes progress.
  • Andrej Sekera played fewer minutes overall than Nurse-Schultz, I think that is a mistake and may have something to do with his partner. Sekera needs to be the 25-minute man, does anyone disagree?
  • Mark Fayne is a good hockey player. I hope a team trades for him and he has a strong playoff this spring. He could be the Petry of 2016, although he is not the same player type. I talked to Travis Yost about Fayne to Ottawa yesterday, he loved the idea.
  • Justin Schultz was 1-1-2 and showed what he can do when things are going right. I see Peter Chiarelli has made it known (via Darren Dreger) he would make 19 available. Finally coming alive offensively—and he is—may allow that to happen in the coming days. I have seen him pretty good in 2016.
  • Brandon Davidson is going to get some criticism today, but I won’t rip him for that final play. He could have eaten the puck or taken a second to make sure, but he did not. Davidson would have to do that another 10 times in the same situation before anyone had a right to bitch about him. Brandon Davidson has been shelter from the storm all year, he has earned some cover on a mistake in overtime. Rookies make mistakes people, even really solid ones like Davidson.

AREAS TO IMPROVE, CHAPTER 50

• Todd McLellan: “We essentially give up four on the penalty kill, which is unacceptable.”

CENTERS, LAST NIGHT

oil c nov 30

• Leon Draisaitl had his wheels on fire last night, McLellan gave him two new wingers and the whip came down. 1-1-2, a point on the PP and at evens, brilliant performance.
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins should have gotten more done with Hall, but it didn’t happen. I wonder how things shake out now, seems to me McLellan is likely to stay with Draisaitl-Eberle. Love the Nuge, he needs to do more, and do it more consistently.
  • Anton Lander and his line had a reasonable night, we don’t expect offense from his line (this season) but a shot would have been nice. Part of the PK, they had a bad night overall.
  • Mark Letestu had a strange night. He was on the ice for all but one of the goals (the first one) and would certainly be part of the PK issue. That blasted Vermette is a helluva player.

WINGERS, LAST NIGHT

oilers f nov 30

• Jordan Eberle and Benoit Pouliot had fantastic nights offensively. If the Oilers could have avoided the injuries this season, it may have been that brand new day we keep talking about every summer.
  • Taylor Hall and Teddy Purcell were good by the possession numbers, but didn’t generate enough chances and of course did not cash. It was a frustrating game for all, and I do wonder if we see this trio again tomorrow night. Where does Yakupov go?
  • Iiro Pakarinen is impressing me more and more, hope he can stay healthy. Lauri Korpikoski was noticeable on GAs but nowhere else.

Bad organizations do dumb things. On a completely unrelated note, Kevin Connauton is on waivers. His boxcar numbers (27gp, 1-7-8) suggest there is a pulse and Craig MacTavish would have knowledge of him (coached him when both were Chicago Wolves). He is having a reasonable season, and if Edmonton does claim him it would represent (imo) a change in thinking about Griffin Reinhart.

reinhart capture1

I think the plan probably involved GR spending a big part of the year in the minors once Leon was recalled. You may remember both men have enormous bonus opportunities in their contracts, but Reinhart’s chances of cashing in half a season would seem distant. I suspect they will recall him when one of the veterans is sent away (or placed on waivers and demoted) and that probably happens any moment after the AS break. Adding Connauton today would make this kind of transaction less likely. We wait. Waivers at 10, we will cover it on the Lowdown.

These kids breathe hockey, it is their life. I was struck not long ago by something Jaromir Jagr said about playing as long as he could. ‘What else is there to do?’ was the general point made by the veteran and I think most NHL players feel the same. This won’t be McDavid’s best birthday as an Oiler, I pray it is the last one he spends on the sidelines. It is crushing for us fans to be robbed of his brilliance. Too much pressure for a (now) 19-year-old? If you don’t think McDavid’s injury has impacted this team, there is nothing to talk about in this area. It is an awful turn, for player and fans, and one suspects a few more gray hairs have been added to Todd McLellan’s head during this time, too. Godspeed, young man.

This is a player I plan to follow all year. When Nashville or Arizona takes him in the second round, it will not be a major story. Five years later? We’ll see. He is kicking ass and taking names in his draft year, while playing in a damned good league.

tsn players of interest

TSN will have 30 names by the deadline, the first look lacks a certain sexiness. From this list, I would enjoy seeing Kevin Shattenkirk a lot, have always liked Loui Eriksson’s game too. Vrbata down all seem to have some issues, Drouin could be a giant home run but I think the Oilers will avoid making a trade for unproven men this year.

• Klefbom—Shattenkirk
  • Nurse—Sekera
  • Reinhart—Davidson

Better? If you could add Brian Campbell to the group things would be far better, don’t know that the Panthers allow him to free agency. Anyone else a fit? I would include Mark Fayne on that list if I had my way, but one suspects he will be fired out of a T-shirt cannon between now and October.

Ann Margret

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

This morning at 10, we hit the air on TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey. We’ll talk last night, the PK, Bowie and the world out among the stars.
  • Nathan Dempsey, Vimy Campus Director. Former NHLer will discuss (among other things) the rules over reaction to a clean hit. Are NHL teammates honor bound to answer after a clean hit? Even in a close game?
  • Scott Cullen, TSN. We usually talk about everything, my plan is to discuss the coming NFL weekend and what Edmonton can get for their expiring contracts at the deadline.
  • Matt Van Oekel, FC Edmonton. The big man from Chesapeake, Virginia joins us to talk about 2016 and his impressive year blocking out the sun in the Eddies net.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

236 Responses to "HAMBURGER MIDNIGHT"

« Older Comments
  1. Pajamah says:

Woodguy: For a defender on the top pair, I’d prefer Hamonic.

Then I see the Oilers in the basement in terms of points from Dmen and no PP shot and want Shattenkirk.

Would be nice if they could get both.

They really are such different breeds of defensemen.

Shattenkirk easily lets us forget about Jultzing.

Hamonic is what we hope Klefbom is in 2-3 seasons.

A defending defenseman that isn’t slow, and an offensive defenseman who, you know, actually gets points.

We’d have to come up with a term for unicorns on defense.

2. theres oil in virginia says:

spoiler: the price of money

🙂

Amazing how many Americans have no idea what that means. I bet if we pump a few more dollars into our education system it’ll fix that.

Good to have you out of the woodwork briefly. You missed a chance to shake your head at newly-famous bookjie.

If you don’t mind me asking, where are you and what do you do (roughly)?

3. spoiler says:

theres oil in virginia: Now Spoiler, everybody knows that you can buy love and you buy happiness, but you can’t buy money.

hehe… in actuality, we “rent” money under the present system. Sad but true.

4. Thor762 says:

theres oil in virginia,

Yes. Shattenkirk at 26, is 3 years younger, fits the age of the group going forward, has fewer warts, and next year is at 4.3m. With Byfuglien, 30 years old, 31 by next season, and wanting in the 7×7 range there’s no way the last years of that contract will be value.

Fewer teams have high end scoring talent they can trade to St Louis for Shattenkirk, which is their rumored ask. Once Buff is UFA there will likely be more suitors going after him than potential realistic options to St Louis.

Woodguy mentioned Hitch and Armstrong are on the hot seat to push into the playoffs. So they’re likely going to entertain the idea of an Eberle for Shattenkirk and a salary dump.
    Buff at UFA is going to be going to the highest bidder.

5. SwedishPoster says:

IF Schultz start playing every PP like he did on the one where he scored last night he’ll suddenly look like a much more viable offensive D option. He was constantly moving his feet, zipping into good spots and as soon as he got covered he changed position. When he plays like that he’s much more efficient than when he’s static on the point.

6. frjohnk says:

Pajamah: We’d have to come up with a term for unicorns on defense.

donkey that no longer has a penis on the forehead?

//3.Doesn’t anyone find it strange that price-fixing is illegal… except for the fixing of the most important price in the economy, the price of money? 9ie interest rates)How nice for the banking syndicate that they have this privilege.//

This, one thousand times. “This” inflation.

//4.While the present system continues, we will continue to see the same boom-bust cycles that allow those with first access to cheap cash (the elites) continue to expand their fortunes at the expense of the tragedy inflicted upon the middle and lower classes.//

We may be nearing end of the debt supercycle.

//6.The longer the housing bubble continues, the worse the burst will be.We should all be cheering for this bubble to pop sooner rather than later.Part of the reason this Oil recession has been so painful is because the boom lasted so long.//

The US shale boom was financed by nearly free QE money looking for a home. Mispriced money, leads to malinvestment.

//7.With regards to Godot’s comments on gold…Central Banks are fighting for their very existence, that is the reason we are seeing such unnatural perversions of nature like ZIRP and NIRP.That said, never underestimate how long they can keep the game going, especially with governments in cahoots.The game might not end till your needfor housing is long past so switching to gold and renting till the game ends isn’t a viable strategy by itself and requires the context of your needs, your location, etc.//

Not only is gold the enemy of central banks. Actual physical paper fiat currency is now the enemy, and the banksters, governments, and elites in the US hegemonic dollar system are scrambling to abolish physical paper currency, because it facilitates anonymous transactions between individuals. The powers-that-be want to be the intermediary for every single transaction for taxation and negative interest rates. They want to replace debt money ultimately with a debt ledger based on blockchain technology, so every transaction, no matter how small is recorded.

//8.Gold is not a good hedge against inflation.Inflation every step of the way from 1980 to 2000 and gold didn’t even blink.Gold is a hedge against the system and its stability and can do as well during deflation as it does doing inflation, depending on the other circumstances.Gold is a great hedge against hyperinflation but then again, everything not the inflating currency is.//

Gold is a hedge against central banking and debt slavery to the banksters and to the plutocrats.

Gold has probably bottomed in Canadian dollar terms, which is why I said gold rather than cash, in the sell house, buy gold, crash, sell gold, buy house scenario. Gold is down 40% from the top against the US dollar. It”s downside against the US dollar is probably limited relative to the upside.

The US dollar is now near bull market highs, and a lot of the rest of the world are racing to de-dollarize their economies, which is why I said gold over the US dollar as the store of value during the crash.

8. Pajamah says:

frjohnk: donkey that no longer has a penis on the forehead?

So that’s what a Jultz is?

Donkeys are good if you chop wood and carry water, allegedly.

9. spoiler says:

theres oil in virginia:

If you don’t mind me asking, where are you and what do you do (roughly)?

Well what is happening to GMon & NYCOil happened to me two Septembers ago at the beginning of this mess and like NYCOil, I decided to leave the world of finance and do my own thing. I started a satire website and was writing like crazy through this summer but then a couple of friends bought the old hotel in Cochrane and pleaded for help, and I’ve been so busy there, I haven’t had much chance to either write for my site or contribute as much here.

I did catch most of the böök¡je fame–and full kudos to him!–but I thought his comment’s popularity was a sad indictment of the general public’s economic literacy.

10. Klima's_Bucket says:

300 Games.
    Has there been an extensive look into Dmen and 300 games or is this some old wives tale that has gained ground and has yet to be looked at extensively and debunked???

11. spoiler says:

godot10,

You and I are mostly on the same page with regards to criticism of this financial system, but I would be careful with blanket all-in advice like you gave earlier.

SNB losing control of their peg a year ago, NIRP, and the ongoing war on cash are certainly symptoms of how fragile the Central Banking system is.

If you haven’t read him already, I recommend Prof Fekete’s writings, I think you will like him a lot:

12. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

spoiler:
    Not to pile on to the Economics discussion, but it has pulled me out of the woodwork for the afternoon…

1.Shouldn’t we applaud falling prices?Has anyone walked into a store and said, “oh my god, not another sale, stop this madness?Falling prices are actually the natural state of an economy (without intervention).

2.Who is to say what the correct price for oil should be?Is it the price 2 years ago?Isn’t it better in the long run that the inflationary boom prices come down and all the resultant misallocation of resources are exposed and worked out of the system?

5. Why exactly should Saudi Arabia “finally cut”production? (not to pick on NYCOil)

NYCOil… you’re a technical guy.If you’re interested in market analysis from a technical and Austrian standpoint, I highly recommend http://www.acting-man.com, especially the lead author and host “Pater Tenebrarum”.

1. I lived in Japan for 20 years. I saw falling prices regularly. Never bothered me. I’m not in the deflation or stagflation = end of the world camp. Never havve been.

2. I’m not saying there’s a correct price of oil. I believe in markets despite their many problems, thus the “correct” price of oil is reflected in, or should be reflected in current prices. Disparities between fundamentals and actual prices can exist due to a number of factors, but I’ve never espoused to knowing what the “correct” price of anything should be. I don’t think anyone else has, either.

3. Lots of people find it funny or odd or criminal. But it has always been thus. Not sure the point you’re making here. The game is played by a set of rules that favours the already rich/elite in terms of access and news. It has always been a rigged game. That’s why Joe Smith is always last to find out about something and why I never recommend you trade on a “stock tip” someone gives you, e.g.,”buy this bio-tech name.”

4. Yes. See part 2. But your choice is to become a self-sustaining hermit or to arm yourself with the best knowledge you can and ride out the cycles.

5. I didn’t say Saudi Arabia SHOULD do anything. They’re free to do as they please. As are you. As am I. I was trying to say as gently and as politely as possible to not listen to what the media or your local broker might tell you about what should happen so that oil will rebound. The bulk of them were dead wrong the whole way down and are just afraid to admit that. I know my own broker still is arguing with me even when I show him emails I sent him in August of 2014 calling the collapse in oil and telling him to get me out of energy assets and reduce Canadian dollar investments in favour of the US despite his bank’s (I won’t name the bank) recommendation to do the exact opposite (boost CAD investments, buy energy). Still no: “we were wrong” from him -60% later. It’s all: “You’re wrong, it will rebound later this year.” Crickets…
    Any way, I am gently trying to tell people to not believe everything they are being told by the media, which is part of this whole game because guess who is telling them that prices are set to rebound and the Saudis are in the wrong? The analysts at the banks! What was that about the game being rigged?

7. Context is everything. I only talk in broad terms: “I personally would not buy a house or buy energy or copper stocks” rather than tell an individual what to or what not to buy. If a house is what they want and can afford and they understand all the potential risks out there, they should do it. I never said otherwise. Just that I wouldn’t do it, and that there is potential for a lot of pain coming. For me, the risk-reward currently is not worth it, but it’s different for everyone. I’d rather rent for now and wait because I personally believe prices will drop in most places.

8. I’ve never liked gold as an investment in my career, but that’s just a personal preference thing. Gold hasn’t done a whole lot in the last 15 years that I couldn’t have done better by investing elsewhere. One day the gold bugs might be right, but I wouldn’t be where I am today had I taken that approach.

Spoiler- Thank you. I always like a good read, whether fundamental or technical. I try not to get too bogged down in the massive multi-decade super-cycle stuff that talks about the next low in US markets being , for example, Dow at 1,000 or S&P at 550, etc., because I find it not useful for my lifetime and practical purposes. That said, it’s always interesting. And I am not saying your link is about that. I haven’t clicked it yet. I will read it this weekend. I use technical analysis to trade around investments I believe in in the long-term. So I was lightening up on my blue chip US tech this summer, missed maybe the last 5% of the rally, but nowI have been sitting with my powder dry and I can begin to take a look at some of the stocks I let go 6 months ago because it’s lower than where I sold, but I do believe in these things in the long-term. That’s sort of where I am.

It’s good to drag you out of the woodwork. Ha ha. I need to do that more often. 😉

13. theres oil in virginia says:

spoiler: I started a satire website

Link?

14. SwedishPoster says:

frjohnk: donkey that no longer has a penis on the forehead?

So a regular donkey? I’d add Kong for that retro feeling.
    ( though tbh donkeys have been around far longer and should be considered even more retro)

15. spoiler says:

theres oil in virginia: Link?

Well, the stuff is now dated but heres you go:

16. spoiler says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: 3. Lots of people find it funny or odd or criminal. But it has always been thus. Not sure the point you’re making here. The game is played by a set of rules that favours the already rich/elite in terms of access and news. It has always been a rigged game

This (the present system) is not the way it has always been. It is a relatively recent phenomenon in economic history–not to say that similar systems haven’t arisen before, but they have been short-lived in comparison to the present economic system.

We cannot have true democracy or freedom, except in name only, under the present system.

17. LadiesloveSmid says:

SwedishPoster,

we already know Ziyat will be EDM’s 6’6 Shattenkirk/Karlsson next season so no worries on that front

18. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

spoiler: Only #5 was really directed at you… I always find your advice to be pretty sound, the rest of my rant was more directed at the general discussion, but…

This (the present system) is not the way it has always been.It is a relatively recent phenomenon in economic history–not to say that similar systems haven’t arisen before, but they have been short-lived in comparison to the present economic system.

Edit- I knew you weren’t directing these points at me. I know even #5 wasn’t really at me, since I made no comment on what the Saudis should do. I was aping the media’s cry that S.A. is ruining it for everyone by trying to flush out the weaker players.

I just couldn’t resist the opportunity to engage. You are missed around these parts. Come back and post more often. About anything. Out-of-date satire, even. I post about out-of-date travel!
    😉

19. spoiler says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

WWI really buggered some shit up.

20. theres oil in virginia says:

spoiler: Well, the stuff is now dated but heres you go:

Hey man. I tried the “editor” email address, but no luck. Is there a contact address there for you? No pressure.

21. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

spoiler:
    NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

WWI really buggered some shit up.

Sure did. I love the charts that show the national debts of the global powers exploding during these wars. Instead of paying the bill, they’ve just kept on printing money ever since.

22. spoiler says:

NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker": Fair point. I was tying it into the LT-ism “it has always been thus.” I meant largely 20th and 21st century capitalism.

lol… I really enjoyed reading your response to #5 actually. I’m glad you took the time to engage!

Out of curiosity, and I think it might be relevant to us here, today… if a person was investing in Japan 15-20 years ago, what would have been the best-performing asset class over that long stretch of price deflation? From a buy and hold perspective–I know you personally are far more nimble than that.

23. theres oil in virginia says:

spoiler,

I’ve contacted that address, so if you feel the need to remove it from here, go ahead.

24. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

spoiler: lol… I really enjoyed reading your response to #5 actually.I’m glad you took the time to engage!

Out of curiosity, and I think it might be relevant to us here, today… if a person was investing in Japan 15-20 years ago, what would have been the best-performing asset class over that long stretch of price deflation?From a buy and hold perspective–I know you personally are far more nimble than that.

The best investment in Japan over that time? Yen cash. One of the best decisions I ever made during the whole financial crisis was to stay in yen cash until it got to 75 yen to the dollar. I got paid in yen at about 125 going into that time, squirreled it all away and then moved about 2/3rds of everything I owned into USD between 80 yen and 75 yen.

Put it another way, in 1985 the yen was at Y231 vs 1 USD. Even if you didn’t convert it all at 70 yen, it’s at 117 now. You’ve gained significant purchasing power vs. the USD. Meanwhile, due to deflation for about a dozen years, the Japanese inflation rate from 1985-2014 was less than 1 percent across the whole 30 years.

Yen cash. That was the best investment to be in.

25. Water Fire says:

While I of course think they need better D, I’m not sure Shattenkirk is the right fit because he isn’t a first pair and is going to be expensive. Maybe without a NTC he could be moved in a few years. They would also have to know if he’s going to test fee agency.

Given the dollar and the cap it might make more sense to use a big salary on a bigger deal for a better player. That being said I am not a fan of ‘offensive’ D. I prefer rounded players that are good at everything if not great at anything.

To me offensive or ‘shutdown’ D are incomplete players because they lack a balanced game. The best D play all aspects of the game well enough and the great ones get lots of points.

The other thing is Davidson Nurse and KLefbom will grow offensively and be able to pull weight on PP soon enough.

26. Spoils says:

I firmly believe the D is why we are here. despite low scoring the real problem is a our D’s combination of inability to breakout of our zone and costly giveaways (Nurse on the blue line against jagr; sekera on the pinch that led to the hall own goal against tampa)…

WHO CAN WE GET TO FIX THIS PROBLEM?

27. kooler says:

Ziyat Paygin makes Western All-Star Team .Former Oiler players Cam Barker, Linus Omark and Philip Larsen also were named to the KHL’s All-Star game.

Do the Oilers still have Philip Larsen rights?

28. kooler says:

#Oilers acquire forward Brad Ross and the 107th overall pick from the @MapleLeafs in exchange for d-man Martin Marincin. #NHLDraft

What happened to Brad Ross?

kooler:

What happened to Brad Ross?

Playing in Germany. He is no longer Oilers property. Phil Larson IS I believe.

30. spoiler says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Thank you for that, kind sir. That’s pretty much what I suspected but couldn’t be sure without some research.

theres oil in virginia,

Thanks, bro, will take a look.

31. PhrankLee says:

30 is the new 35 in the NHL.

32. kooler says:

Thank you.

33. Primetime says:

Hey guys, longtime reader, first time poster…LT thanks for the forum of “intellectual” Oiler talk if there can be such a thing…

Reading the continual stream of Shattenkirk/Hamonic rumors which seems reasonable since those are the names the talking heads have told us may be available. But if Chia watched the same last 3 games we did, we have to be resigned to the fact that he will likely trade some of the core to change direction, whether we think its wise or not. If he does, he won’t do it before the trade deadline but wait till the summer to open the field of bidders and take advantage of the anger of recently eliminated playoff teams. I think this opens many more possibilities like:

to MIN: RNH ( 6mmx5yrs) + Davidson
    to EDM: Koivu ( 6.75 x 2) + Dumba (RFA at 1.6)

Why Min does this: Lots of rumors of wanting a true #1 center and needing to get out of Koivu’s contract to do it. Apparently hot and heavy for Johansen but lost out. Too much money tied up in D already…we all thought Spurgeon would shake lose out of the top 4 but new contract says otherwise. Of course they would rather dump Brodin but that doesn’t get them a #1 center

Why Edm does this: Gets us a young physical, fast right handed D that can skate and a bomb of a shot (please let Schultz walk!). Don’t want to trade RNH, but we have to face possibility. One big argument against is he provides cover for Drai/McD…Koivu is as good if not better to face Western toughs? Equally good is his contract is up at end of McD ELC…lots of time to find cheaper 3C replacement when you have to back up the money truck for Connor.

I think this is best case scenario of trading RNH…no one is trading a #1D straight up for him, so have to get creative and grab someone on the verge. If you can still get Harmonic then you can run:
    Klef-Hamonic
    Sekara-Dumba
    Nurse-Reinhart-Vet

Obviously other teams may have similar offers (NYD-Zajac/Larson: Better Dman but Zajac worse contract)
    This would be my choice.

Thoughts?

34. russ99 says:

spoiler,

1. Not cool that Oilers fans are really hurting with the downturn in oil. We’ve stabilized a bit here in the US but we feel your pain.

2. I saw a report that most American oil companies are looking to declare bankruptcy.

This sucks since corporate America would rather screw over workers and consumers than having shareholders/executive pay and perks take a hit.

But it’s ironic how these people prop up capitalism as such an ideal but don’t get that losses are part of the deal unless you’re a Wall Street bank who’s paid off the right politicians and aren’t allowed to fail.

3. The sooner we all cut off the Saudis the better. Despite the bitter politicizing of the Keystone pipeline over here, I’d rather get my oil from Canada and other source in North America.

35. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

I believe Kassian is on the oilers to potentially make Purcell expendable. He has shown he can play with skill and trading Purcell to replace with a younger big bodied player would be a good way to grow some org value. Purcell may be good for another year but more is pushing it, so he should be replaceable. Kassian could provide filler…. for now.

36. spoiler says:

russ99,

Well, with Central Banks doin’ their central planning, with governments intervening willy-nilly in the economy, with fiat money as currency, with the amount of clientelism and cronyism and corruption happening, these are all characteristic and symptomatic of socialism.

Capitalism isn’t what we’re doing any more, although vestiges obviously remain.

The present socialist process started with WWI and has been getting worse by the decade. We’re not at Venezuela yet, but certainly we’re looking at a developed world where upward mobility is difficult and random, where a generation is worse off than a prior generation, where innovation and productivity gains are stifled and stolen, and wealth is concentrated into the hands of the few.

Sadly outrage has been replaced with the Kardashians and Monday Night Football and electronic food stamps. ie, bread and circuses.

« Older Comments