DUQUESNE WHISTLE

I think Peter Chiarelli’s Oilers will be a lot bigger, tougher and less skilled than the team he inherited back in the spring of 2015. Here is a list of players from the 50-man when PC took over who are no longer here:

1. G Ben Scrivens (Montreal for Kassian)
  2. G Tyler Bunz (Did not sign)
  3. G Frans Tuohimaa (Did not sign, now in Europe)
  4. D Martin Marincin (Now in Toronto, Gryba three-way trade)
  5. D Keith Aulie (Did not sign)
  6. C Boyd Gordon (Dealt to Arizona for Lauri Korpikoski)
  7. C Travis Ewanyk (Traded to Ottawa in Gryba deal)
  8. C Kellen Lain (Did not sign)
  9. L Matt Fraser (Did not sign)
  10. L Curtis Hamilton (Did not sign)

Here are the players he added since the day he took over:

1. G Cam Talbot, PC dealt for him and has since signed him long term.
  2. G Anders Nilsson, trade with Chicago.
  3. D Andrej Sekera, Major free-agent signing.
  4. D Eric Gryba, trade with Ottawa
  5. D Griffin Reinhart, trade with the NY Islanders.
  6. D Ben Bekter, signed his pro deal.
  7. C Connor McDavid, No. 1 overall 2015.
  8. C Mark Letestu, free agent addition.
  9. L Lauri Korpikoski, acquired from Arizona.
  10. L Braden Christoffer, graduating junior signed pro deal.
  11. R Zack Kassian, acquired from Montreal.
  12. R Anton Slepyshev, signed his pro deal.

CURRENT 50-MAN LIST

1. G Cam Talbot, NHL starter
  2. G Anders Nilsson, NHL backup.
  3. G Laurent Brossoit, AHL starter.
  4. G Eetu Laurikainen, AHL backup.
  5. D Andrej Sekera, veteran has been very valuable.
  6. D Oscar Klefbom, enjoying a solid year when healthy.
  7. D Darnell Nurse, started in AHL, now in NHL.
  8. D Brandon Davidson, a brilliant season so far.
  9. D Justin Schultz, may be playing his final games as an Oiler.
  10. D Eric Gryba, third pairing defender.
  11. D Mark Fayne, having a hard time winning a regular job this year.
  12. D Brad Hunt, has seen some NHL time, currently on big league roster.
  13. D Andrew Ference, hasn’t played a lot.
  14. D Griffin Reinhart, spent time in the NHL, AHL and IR.
  15. D Nikita Nikitin, got a (ghastly) cup of coffee, back in the minors.
  16. D David Musil, AHL D.
  17. D Jordan Oesterle, AHL D.
  18. D Joey Laleggia, AHL D.
  19. D Dillon Simpson, AHL D.
  20. D Martin Gernat, AHL D.
  21. D Ben Betker, ECHL D, just called to the AHL.
  22. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, NHL center. Injured.
  23. C Leon Draisaitl, emerging NHL talent.
  24. C Connor McDavid, brilliant 13 games, back soon.
  25. C Anton Lander, checking NHL C.
  26. C Mark Letestu, checking NHL C.
  27. C Jujhar Khaira, AHL C spent some time in the NHL.
  28. C Andrew Miller, AHL C, used to play wing.
  29. C Bogdan Yakimov, on loan to the KHL, for either six months or 50 years.
  30. C Kyle Platzer, AHL C looking good.
  31. L Taylor Hall, Quality NHL forward.
  32. L Benoit Pouliot, No. 2 L for the OIl.
  33. L Lauri Korpikoski, checking NHL W.
  34. L Matt Hendricks, checking NHL W.
  35. L Luke Gazdic, NHL Enforcer.
  36. L Ryan Hamilton, AHL winger, mentor.
  37. L Kale Kessy, AHL winger/enforcer showing some signs.
  38. L Mitch Moroz, AHL winger/enforcer.
  39. L Braden Christoffer, rugged new pro W.
  40. R Jordan Eberle, scoring winger.
  41. R Nail Yakupov, emerging NHL scorer.
  42. R Teddy Purcell, veteran NHL W having a good year.
  43. R Zack Kassian, playing well as an Oiler.
  44. R Rob Klinkhammer, energy winger in the NHL.
  45. R Iiro Pakarinen, back in the NHL, being useful.
  46. R Anton Slepyshev, talented winger started the year in the NHL.
  47. R Tyler Pitlick, AHL winger cannot stay healthy.
  48. R Greg Chase, up and down between ECHL and AHL.

And here are the current 50-man roster players I don’t see coming back for 2016-17:

1. D Justin Schultz, can’t see this happening at this late hour.
  2. D Brad Hunt, chances are Chiarelli plans on a major upgrade at this position.
  3. D Andrew Ference, buyout for a veteran who won a Stanley with the Bruins.
  4. D Nikita Nikitin, should have listened to Dellow.
  5. D Martin Gernat, never did work out.
  6. C Anton Lander, probably a big, tough C for 3-4 line duty.
  7. C Andrew Miller, think they will go bigger.
  8. L Luke Gazdic, think they will invest in size up the batting order and go w/o enforcer.
  9. L Ryan Hamilton, probably want more speed from their big wingers.
  10. R Teddy Purcell, his value is high enough to fetch a good draft pick.
  11. R Rob Klinkhammer, Pakarinen takes his job, I imagine.
  12. R Tyler Pitlick, Unless he has a helluva second half that includes NHL time.

Lots of other questions, from Oesterle to Nilsson, but I think we will see an enormous number of players exiting the system this summer. I also think those AHL-only contracts will be in use, because there isn’t much to sign this year among the draft picks (remember 2014 was that strange year they avoided the CHL in favor of NCAA and BCJHL kids).

Let the fun begin! Edmonton unlikely to be involved, but any change in deck chairs reshuffles the deck. For the record, Drouin is imo a great bet for a team in search of exceptional skill in a young player. I would bet Vancouver, then Calgary.

133 Responses to "DUQUESNE WHISTLE"

Tampa Bay Lightning Verified account
    ‏@TBLightning

2. G Money says:

Lowetide: Jonathan Drouin has been suspended indefinitely without pay after failing to report for tonight’s Syracuse Crunch game vs. Toronto.

Goddamn enigmatic Russians.

G Money: Goddamn enigmatic Russians.

Gah. I can’t imagine this will end well for Drouin, historically the NHL organization slow plays things when this kind of thing happens. Man, Yzerman has some Oilers in him, I swear. Can they send him to Hershey?

4. Edmonton_fan says:

I suspect Lander might stay; he fits the budget. Other than that, no disagreement on who is probably leaving.

5. jonrmcleod says:

So far, Chiarelli has added a lot of skill and discarded mostly duds. Sure, we could judge him according to what we think he might do, but so far he hasn’t shown that he wants a less skilled team.

6. G Money says:

When I first saw it, my first thought was “I bet it’s an injury prevention issue.”

If he gets hurt while down there,
    a. he’s not tradeable
    b. he’s fixed at (I assume) his AHL salary and not his NHL salary, as he would be if he got injured with the big club (can someone confirm?)

This tweet seems to confirm that:

Statement from Walsh on Drouin: pic.twitter.com/5sBudD4JeA— David Pagnotta (@TheFourthPeriod) January 21, 2016

7. RexLibris says:

It gets better.

Walsh, his agent, says TB told him AHL stint was conditioning and rehab from injury, said a deal was close.

Drouin’s agent asked them to let him play seven games then hold him out until a deal could be done to avoid further injury.

TB declined that request and instead suspended him.

Per Lavoie: Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva 3m3 minutes ago

Allan Walsh statement on Jonathan Drouin

Water’s rising and there’s a race to the high ground.

G Money:

If he gets hurt while down there,
    a. he’s not tradeable

This tweet seems to confirm that:

9. RexLibris says:

I don’t know if we can really accept that last point right now, though.

If Chiarelli brings in a qualified top-pairing defender at the expense of Eberle (for argument’s sake) while the skill sets may not be directly comparable, relatively speaking we may see something of a saw-off.

Is Hamonic a D version of Eberle in that he is a young, 1st line player who contributes noticeably to his team’s overall success without necessarily always being the primary motivator of that success?

Again, just pulling examples from previous conversations we’ve had.

Okay, I’m really not trying to be an argumentative dink here, I guess I just miss WG.

10. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Wow. Incredible. Yzerman maybe should have stayed in Detroit for the entire Mary Kay training.

What was that you said about Hershey?

I wonder if this makes a West Coast connection all the more likely so they don’t have to hear about it six or eight times a year?

And yes, I’d bet Burke, er, I mean Treliving is in there like a dirty shirt.

11. Thor762 says:

LT, do you think Stamkos is watching this mess unfold and thinking “…yeah maybe I don’t want to be here again next season either”?

12. Henry says:

If Gazdic isn’t gone for a decent pick at the deadline, I think he will be back. He is getting much better at the hockey. He is still (conceptually) a nuclear deterrent against further piledriving of the Connor into the boards. I’m not saying I agree with it, but I think it could very well happen.

Perhaps having Gryba, Kassian and Khaira on the team could remove the need for an enforcer only, but as the team gets better, and it will, tough guys will be necessary.

13. RexLibris says:

Not even sure what Yzerman wants back in this deal, but the Anaheim connection (Vatanen) looks right and I’d wager Vancouver is offering up names like Horvat and others in that range right now.

Not sure who Calgary has they could dangle for Drouin as most of their best young players are either too valuable to the team or too far removed from professional hockey to be of any real use right now.

Can’t see the Oilers being a good fit any more. But you know, if they had a Petry hanging around that might be a good starting point…

14. Klima's_Bucket says:

Yzerman strikes me as more of a (SC)Amway guy…

15. Henry says:

RexLibris:

Did Schultz play well against Tampa last night? Oh….

RexLibris: I don’t know if we can really accept that last point right now, though.

Again, just pulling examples from previous conversations we’ve had.

Klima’s_Bucket: Yzerman strikes me as more of a (SC)Amway guy…

Ha! Good call. I would say Fuller Brush but none of you would remember.

18. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Haha. Well, I think he has already added size and toughess, in the cases of Gryba, Kassian and even Pakarinen a little. Marincin was big, but he and Gryba are not similar. That is my thinking on him.

Agreed, size and toughness.

I just think Chiarelli is better at finding what the old Oilers management had spent years looking for as well: big and skilled.

They probably both want the same thing, but rather than looking under the couch cushions for loose change (old method) Chiarelli is going out and making some investments which could, and perhaps in some case already have, brought back a return.

19. Nate780 says:

RexLibris,

Would Calgary offer Hamilton?

20. square_wheels says:

RexLibris,

Petry ?

Plunges dagger in back of MacT voodoo doll.

21. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Ha! Good call. I would say Fuller Brush but none of you would remember.

The Red Wings wore Amway logos on their practice jerseys a few years back, no?

22. RexLibris says:

Nate780:
    RexLibris,

Would Calgary offer Hamilton?

I doubt it.

I’m still waiting for Treliving to offer Giordano for Hamonic straight across.

If I’m Calgary I make that deal without hesitation.

I think they see Hamilton as part of their new young core and will look to move the older guys.

If Hudler weren’t a pending UFA he’d be the ideal trading chip because of his Detroit connection and skill set.

They’ve got three marketable forwards for a trade like this: Bennett, Monahan and Gaudreau.

They have others but they are mostly additional pieces like Granlund, Ferland and others.

There’s always this year’s 1st, presumably lottery protected.

23. square_wheels says:

Maybe he wants to keep his pink Cadillac ?

And what the hell, I left for Mexico, obviously couldn’t sacrifice anything to the Gords on game night and Nuge blocks a shot with an open hand ?

Come on people, start killing some animals.

24. RexLibris says:

square_wheels: MacT voodoo doll.

Did you go with the 6″ model or shell out for the full life-size version that can withstand an impact from a Mack truck at highway speeds?

Not saying which one I bought, but let me tell you those long-haul drivers get awfully testy when throw large objects in their path at night.

25. Klima's_Bucket says:

RexLibris: The Red Wings wore Amway logos on their practice jerseys a few years back, no?

Yes, here’s a link to the article.

26. Mr DeBakey says:

Lowetide: I would say Fuller Brush but none of you would remember.

None is too strong here.

RexLibris: I’m still waiting for Treliving to offer Giordano for Hamonic straight across.

The other night I was thinking the Oilers could offer Sekara for Hamonic and offer to split the difference on the extra Cap Hit.

27. square_wheels says:

RexLibris,

Gold star Rex. And as mentioned above, if somehow Hamonic ends up anywhere but Edmonton or Winnipeg, then Chia should be driving a pink Cutless Supreme. He can have white vinyl seats for signing Talbot though.

28. Centre of attention says:

Jonathan DrouinVerified account
    ‏@jodrouin27
    I guess kovalchuk does what he wants …

1:20 PM – 11 Jul 2013

Remember this tweet?

I do.

This kid is a bad egg.

I retweeted the actual tweet from 2013 to both Rex and LT if you don’t believe me.

Alex Thomas ‏@Alex_Thomas14 2m2 minutes ago

Peter Chiarelli taking in the #Blues V #RedWings tonight in Detroit. Let the Shattenkirk rumors fire up. #Oilers

30. square_wheels says:

Centre of attention,

Calgary must trade Jhonny shrivelled nuts immediately, this is a Burke player.

Centre of attention:
    Jonathan DrouinVerified account
    ‏@jodrouin27
    I guess kovalchuk does what he wants …

1:20 PM – 11 Jul 2013

Remember this tweet?

I do.

This kid is a bad egg.

32. elphy101 says:

I was curious to test the Oilers 1st & 2nd round draft results 2007-2014 vs the most respected Media Draft Person in Bob Mckenzie. For this exercise I used BPA off of TSN/Mackenzie’s list at the time of the Oilers picks.

TSN 2007

Logan Couture (9)
    Ryan McDonagh (12)
    Kevin Shattenkirk (14)
    Max Paccioretty (22)

33. John Chambers says:

Loyal2theoil:
    Check out @TSNBobMcKenzie’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/689968007234371586?s=09

It’s a good manoever by Drouin’s agent because it would show Yzerman as being vindictive if he doesn’t try and expedite a trade.

That said perhaps Yzerman doesn’t mind appearing vindictive and Drouin gets the Souray treatment.

34. Centre of attention says:

Alex Thomas ‏@Alex_Thomas14 2m2 minutes ago

Just do it already Chia.

Let us begin the long mourning process that will inevitably come with letting one of the kids go.

I’ll miss you Ebs. Hope you win a cup in St Louis.

35. elphy101 says:

TSN 2008
    Tyler Cuma (22)

Oilers 2008
    Jordan Eberle (22)

Notable Elite Players picked within 10 pick after the Oilers:
    None

The only draft that the Oilers clearly drafted well although were missing key picks thanks to Penner.

36. square_wheels says:

How do we extend Shattenkirk as part of a deal ?

Does Chia basically agree to overpay and lock it down with, say, the Purcell returned draft pic in addition to Ebs ?

37. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: That’s you? Dammit people, I need to know who is on twitter so I can follow/promote!

Yeah, thats me with the old school WHA avatar. I probably should use an alias but I don’t care.

38. oliveoilers says:

Centre of attention:
    Jonathan DrouinVerified account
    ‏@jodrouin27
    I guess kovalchuk does what he wants …

1:20 PM – 11 Jul 2013

Remember this tweet?

I do.

This kid is a bad egg.

Yep. What he meant to say was “Lou Amarillo does what he wants.”

39. elphy101 says:

Notable Elite Players picked within 10 pick after the Oilers:

Justin Faulk (37)
    Jon Merrill (38)
    Tyler Toffoli (47)

41. oliveoilers says:

elphy101,

Please learn the diffence between ‘elite’ and ‘ very good’.

Good point though.

42. elphy101 says:

TSN 2011
    Ryan Nugent Hopkins (1)
    Tyler Biggs (19)
    Brandon Saad (31)

Oilers 2011
    Ryan Nugent Hopkins (1)
    Oscar Klefbom (19)
    David Musil (31)

Notable Elite Players picked within 10 picks after the Oilers:
    Boone Jenner (37)
    John Gibson (39)

square_wheels:

How do we extend Shattenkirk as part of a deal ?

44. elphy101 says:

TSN 2012
    Nail Yakupov (1)
    Matt Finn (32)

Oilers 2012
    Nail Yakupov (1)
    Mitch Moroz (32)

Notable Elite/Very Good Players picked within 10 picks after the Oilers (not including 1st overall):
    None

Max Domi (12)

46. elphy101 says:

TSN 2014
    Sam Bennett (3)

Oilers 2014
    Leon Draisatl

Too early for elite players other than Eckblad and Draisatl.

47. LadiesloveSmid says:

elphy101,

Lindholm, Forsberg? If Jenner makes it, Galchenyuk?

48. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: It is the tough part of the deal you would need to take a substantial risk. That said, conditions could apply to the deal (draft picks, etc).

Ebs + Conditional 3rd rounder for Shattenkirk + conditional first.

They get the conditional third if Shattenkirk signs and their conditional first becomes a third.

If he doesn’t sign we get their 2018 first and the Blues get no picks.

Is anyone following?

I don’t like it still. Either way there is risk because the blues are getting a player under control for term.

I don’t see why Shattenkirk wouldn’t sign. I’m just scared he wants a Phaneuf-type extension with ALL the no move clauses. The Oilers would be in tough in that situation, and would probably be forced to hand over a blank cheque and have Shattenkirk fill in the numbers.

I have a bad feeling about it is all I’m saying. Gut reaction says no deal. Maybe I’m paranoid.

49. elphy101 says:

Its interesting to take a look at the overall list.

To highlight key differences
    Oilers Wins vs TSN
    Jordan Eberle (2008-22nd overall)
    Oscar Klefbom (2011-19th overall)
    Leon Draisatl (2014-3rd overall, he sure looks better than Bennett)

TSN Wins vs Oilers
    Dmitri Kullkov (2009-10th overall)
    Jon Merill (2010-31st overall)
    Tyler Toffoli (2010-46th overall)
    Brandon Saad (2011-31st overall)

Oilers actually did a pretty good job in the draft with their first round picks however failed miserably with their 2nd round picks.

50. Centre of attention says:

This is TOTALLY pie-in-the-sky.

If the Blues traded Pietrangelo they could theoretically get Shattenkirk done right?

Man, what would this team look like with a Nurse-Pietrangelo pairing wheeling around?

A man can dream.

51. elphy101 says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    elphy101,

Lindholm, Forsberg? If Jenner makes it, Galchenyuk?

I should have clarified. I wasn’t listing the picks after 1st overall as Hall, RNH & Yakupov were all the consensus top pick in their draft year. Seemed pointless to list 5 or 6 players drafted right after them each year.

I definitely agree Lindholm and Forsberg are probably at the top of the class of the 2012 draft.

52. elphy101 says:

Alex Thomas ‏@Alex_Thomas14 2m2 minutes ago

To St Louis
    Johnathan Drouin

To Edmonton
    Kevin Shattenkirk

To Tampa Bay
    Jordan Eberle

That re-signing risk is so terrifying though with Shattenkirk.

53. Water Fire says:

RexLibris:

I hope Van offers Horvat. That would leave them one good centre, 35 years old.

elphy101: I keep thinking Eberle might be a very good fit on the Tampa Bay Lightning if Yzerman decides he has to trade Stamkos. There has got to be a way to build a trade around;

To St Louis
    Johnathan Drouin

To Edmonton
    Kevin Shattenkirk

To Tampa Bay
    Jordan Eberle

Tampa can’t take expensive players in return for Drouin.

55. elphy101 says:

godot10: Tampa can’t take expensive players in return for Drouin.

They can if they are dealing Stamkos which would main reason they would want Eberle.

56. Water Fire says:

Centre of attention: Ebs + Conditional 3rd rounder for Shattenkirk + conditional first.

If he doesn’t sign we get their 2018 first and the Blues get no picks.

Is anyone following?

I’m paranoid. I’m not sure Shattenkirk isn’t actually Cpt Kirk on a mission back in time. I can’t find Spock either. He should be somewhere…..

57. RexLibris says:

Water Fire: I hope Van offers Horvat. That would leave them one good centre, 35 years old.

I remember reading here that he was a center.

58. Klima's_Bucket says:

RexLibris: It sucks to be surrounded by dumb teams and not be able to trade with any of them because of the divisional play.

Ironic.
    Just think of all the blunders that would come back to bite the Oilers if Timid Tambi or MacT were dealing in the division.

59. bringbackslats says:

Forgive me for the “calling you out” LT… I am a fan.

But where is all this skill PC’s moved out? None of those guys fit that description to me. With the exception of enforcers, everyone possesses some skill otherwise they’d not be NHL men. Point taken made by you on Fayne. He has very little in skating mobility or puck control skill. But as you say he’s a quality defender for the most part in terms of not allowing goals to have the opportunity to be scored.

But true high end top pairing skills or top 6f skills? I’d say there’s a chance Kassian can be there. He did it for a time in Van, and he does look more fit and focused. That was a pretty nice between the legs off the skate move to the net he made there against Florida.

Point made on him changing the complexion of the team but what choice does he have. 10 years of bonehead and Nitwit decisions and we’re still paying for it.

60. TeeVee says:

A Shattenkirk is when you head to the can for a deuce.

61. Water Fire says:

Lowetide: Marincin was big, but he and Gryba are not similar

Players who can overcome being weaker than other players with agression are outliers. Thus the obsession with size that dull knives mistake as the driver rather than skill.

62. LadiesloveSmid says:

RexLibris: They could always offer that Columbus pick (Tortorella) to Calgary for Colborne.

I remember reading here that he was a center.

63. elphy101 says:

I would agree with Bringbackslats.

The only tangible skill for toughness trade I see from your list is
    Gryba (43GP, 4 points, -2, 49.7% corsi, 17:41 avg TOI) for Marincin (31 GP, 0 points, -1, 12:40 avg TOI although Corsi is 54%)

And after 40+ games, to me, Gryba appears to be the better defensemen. Marincin is not showing much in Toronto so far this year.

From a skill upgrade standpoint, I think Chiarelli has done major upgrades;
    1) Sekera: Most skilled dman on Oilers, limited toughness.
    2) Talbot: Most skilled goalie we have had.
    3) Korpikoski for Gordon: I would argue Korpi has more skill and Gordon more toughness. Although Gordon is the better player if he wasn’t breaking down.
    4) Letestu vs Gordon. I would also argue Letestu brings a significant skill upgrade over Gordon outside of faceoffs and shotblocking.
    5) Kassian is just an upgrade in every way if he can stay sober. Brings a ton of toughness and skill.

So far to me, Chiarelli has been heavily targeting toughness but I see no evidence he is compromising on skill to achieve that.

64. G Money says:

*** GEEK OUT TIME ***

(Likely only of interest to the programmers)

You know, as a reformed C/C++ programmer of old, I *still* marvel at how elegant and powerful Python is.

I’m working on generating cumulative stats, and a rather simple prerequisite operation for generating cumulative stats is to load all the game data for every game played by a team.

And in order to do that, you actually have to have the list of game numbers as assigned by the NHL.

Last night’s game, for example, was game #687. You can see how this game number is used if you go to the Boxscore page on NHL.com:

id= 2015 is the season, 02 means regular season, 0687 is the game number

So. Simple concept, but how to find the list of games played by a specific team e.g. EDM?

I could of course do a brute force search of all the games and only load the ones that have EDM as one of the teams, but not exactly fast, elegant, or easy on the old bandwidth.

Ah hah! But there’s a solution, because the NHL has a schedule page for every team. Go here

and you’ll see the games yet to come listed, as well as the games already played. The games already played are in a separate table, and each have a recap link – which conveniently contains the game id.

So, once that problem is solved, all I have to do is pull the URL, and find all the game codes from the recap links.

Here is my entire code set for doing so (I suspect someone out there can probably find an even shorter version):

gamepageurl = “http://www.nhl.com/ice/schedulebyseason.htm?season=20152016&gameType=2&team=EDM&network=&venue=”

gamepage = urlopen( gamepageurl ).read()

recap = re.compile( r’recap?id=[0-9]{10}’ )
    gamelist = recap.findall( gamepage )
    for game in gamelist:
    print game[-4:]

This little six-line snippet prints the following (though for actual coding, I will simply use gamelist as an actual list, meaning I ONLY NEED THE FIRST FOUR LINES!!!):

0008
    0629
    0641
    0653
    0668
    0677
    0687

DAMN! Still just amazed at how you can do so much with so little coding (once you’ve understood and solved the underlying problem).

65. Nostradumbass says:

Cory Cross emerges to take exit shot at John Mackinnon https://twitter.com/CoryCross23/status/689849645414019072

66. kinger_OIL says:

G Money,

G – My Uncle, who built a medical software company, starting with programming with the orginal Sinclair computers (ZX-80), marvels at how programming has evolved to where it is today, where a few lines of code replace literally 100’s of lines of old C++ or Fortran, etc.

– Ultimately though, the approach to proramming hasn’t changed however, you still need to follow a logic when constructing

Water Fire: LT it is important to consider height and weight at the same time to determine a player’s build. Marincin is tall and while here weighed under 190 lbs. That is a scrawny bean pole when you’re 6’5 or whatever. A guy 5’10 and 190 is a pretty solid build.

That’s why I said ‘they are not similar’

bringbackslats:
    Forgive me for the “calling you out” LT… I am a fan.

Perhaps I am not explaining myself well (that does happen!). If you look at the roster from a year ago

Versus the game last night

And I do think they will get bigger. I know there is an entire wing of this blog that wants three scoring lines, and I would love to see it, but I suspect we will see two scoring lines, a 3C who can move up as needed, and then the rest of the bottom six filled with rugged wingers who can check and penalty kill.

The Ryan Jones-Lennart Petrell-Matt Fraser forward is going away, and I do think the Ference defenseman is too.

We will see.

69. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: That’s why I said ‘they are not similar’

I just don’t think you get it, pal.

We’re talking about two really different guys here!!

C’mon!

And, also Jeez!

Romulus Apotheosis: I just don’t think you get it, pal.

We’re talking about two really different guys here!!

C’mon!

And, also Jeez!

I know, right?

71. RexLibris says:

LadiesloveSmid: could you pull off Colborne for a 2nd? I remember reading here that he was Draisaitl’s peak and LD is pretty damn good, definitely wouldn’t trade HIM for a 2nd

Heh, some Flames fans have been trying to entice me with trade offers for him.

Nobody has been willing to take Ference yet, though, so I’m holding steady.

🙂

72. Klima's_Bucket says:

Nostradumbass,

Does anyone remember what MacKinnon said about Cory Cross???

73. Lackadaisical says:

G Money,

Well done!

74. RexLibris says:

I think it has been mentioned here before but I wonder if Chiarelli would trade for Shattenkirk, then move him for Hamonic, shifting assets acquired along the way to even things up for other parts of his organization (prospect wingers with size, etc)?

If this is a chess match he may have to move like a Knight rather than a Rook or Bishop, two steps left, one ahead.

75. Water Fire says:

Lowetide: That’s why I said ‘they are not similar’

I know, but tall or lanky would be a better descrition that is less likely to confuse the issue for those who might confuse ‘big’ with being strong or powerful.

Marincin wasn’t and probably isn’t. He’s a good hockey player hindered in the NHL because he’s skinny, much like I see Schultz. Chara was but worked at it and had genes on his side, now he’s a freakish giant. Another outlier.

76. Centre of attention says:

I hope Kassian beats the sh*t out of Roussell tomorrow night.

Here is round 1 when Kassian was a member of the Canucks:

77. Klima's_Bucket says:

Centre of attention,

You’re not supposed to “like” fighting.
    Apparently it has “no” place in the game.

78. Centre of attention says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    Centre of attention,

You’re not supposed to “like” fighting.
    Apparently it has “no” place in the game.

Roussel is scum. He’s been up in Hall & Eb’s business for too long.

I hope Kassian takes care of him early and then we can enjoy a hockey game.

79. AsiaOil says:

Yes absolutely we must not change the model where smaller skill guys like Ebs, RNH, Hemsky, Cogs, Gagner, Shultz etc etc are free to wheel comfortable in the knowledge that that are being backed-up by 4th line knuckle draggers who play 5 minutes a night. The success of this model over the past decade speaks for itself. sarc off…..

This size versus skill argument is a straw man built up to tear down anyone who dares suggest one of the golden boys may be traded to improve the team. This team needs more “skilled toughness” throughout the lineup to win and avoid being laughed at by teams like LAK and STL – and the change is already happening. The defense has to be overhauled to improve a putrid transition game and get the puck to our talented forwards on the fly. Some of our forwards need to be tougher (not necessarily bigger but that won’t hurt) to win board battles in both ends of the rink.

CMD is an uber-talented 18 year old who is tougher than a few of our skilled forwards who are older and way more experienced. That’s the desired team identity – talented guys who will bite your leg off to get the puck and win. We need more of them and anyone who won’t bring the required level of desire will be traded no matter what their skill level is. There is much to look forward to.

Centre of attention:
    I hope Kassian beats the sh*t out of Roussell tomorrow night.

Here is round 1 when Kassian was a member of the Canucks:

That is a ding dong dandy!

81. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: That is a ding dong dandy!

There is a different camera angle that shows Kassian landed an upercut that rocks Roussel up into the boards off his skates.

Here it is actually, Dallas broad cast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4-Iz126vsg

AsiaOil:

Up front? Hall-Leon, McDavid-Nuge and then they likely add a bigger winger and run him with one of those two, say Hall-Leon. Pouliot probably stays, Eberle too unless they cash him for the blue and then Yakupov moves up and down depending on need. One thing we can’t know is the McDavid-Eberle chem. could change everything.

83. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: I think the defense is (mostly) here, would count Sekera, Klefbom, Nurse and Davidson as sure things and Reinhart as a probable. If they can trade Fayne, maybe they sign Gryba and then bring in the puck mover for the second pairing. That is my guess (I would keep Fayne btw).

There are options this summer, so many options. I’m fascinated to see what Chiarelli does with the defense.

There is probably more to this Griffin Reinhart story too.

84. flyfish1168 says:

I believe the hard target by PC this summer will be Milan Lucic. I only hope it will be a reasonable one with term / $$$$ ratio.

Ladd and Okposo are secondary targets. JMHO

Centre of attention: I’m holding out for Okposo. Maybe Chiarelli tries Ladd? Either could replace Eberle easily if he were dealt for a blue.

There is probably more to this Griffin Reinhart story too.

If you could sign Okposo and deal Eberle for Hamonic, is that enough? I mean, yeah you might need to upgrade Lander and maybe they don’t love Pakarinen like I do, but those two Islanders would be nice adds, right?

flyfish1168:
    I believe the hard target by PC this summer will be Milan Lucic. I only hope it will be a reasonable one with term / $$$$ratio.

If he comes available, they throw the whole bank and the waterfall at him.

87. flyfish1168 says:

Lowetide: If he comes available, they throw the whole bank and the waterfall at him.

Don’t scare me. PC and budget is ??? at best.

flyfish1168: Don’t scare me. PC and budget is ??? at best.

89. Greg says:

My mom thinks Shattenkirk is German for “shit church” and she giggles every time she hears his name.

90. flyfish1168 says:

Lowetide: I suspect the shopping list is much shorter this year, andit all depends on what they can offload at the deadline. Key, key thing is to throw as much overboard as possible.

91. Centre of attention says:

Okposo and Hamonic would be exactly what the Oilers need. I don’t mind the fact that Hamonic isn’t as offense-oriented as other options. Our puck movers are all conveniently left-shot.

I think Klefbom and Sekera will split most of the power play time going forwards anyways. Klefbom is STILL the leading PP scorer on the Oilers blue line, after around 20 games missed.

I don’t think we get Okposo though. A team like the Ducks has 16 million in cap space. They could easily hand him something starting with an “8” and they would be all over him like a dirty shirt.

Ladd is an idea, maybe Kassian steps into the top 6? The mind boggles.

Another tid-bit, Fayne is slowly growing on Todd I think. I doubt he sees the minors again this season.

flyfish1168: I hope we get some draft picks back. Our prospect and farm doesn’t have much to show.

93. Really? says:

I a

I agree with you that the D men are largely set. One interesting addition might be Beaulieu or Spurgeon. Both players have offensive skills as well as some defensive chops.

Regarding the forwards, I would love to see: Hall – Nuge – Drai then Ladd – McDavid – Kassian then Pouliot – Nielsen – Pakarinen and Khaira – Letestu – Lander. This would require the addition of Ladd and Nielsen, but would add skill, determination and experience.

And then again, maybe I am dreaming in Technicolor.

94. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: Yeah, I think they will for sure. There also isn’t much to sign that hasn’t been, so I think we could see some college free agents and graduating juniors added. I would love to get Stephen Harper

A guy named Stephen Harper potentially playing for the Edmonton Oilers.

What a time to be alive.

95. AsiaOil says:

Pretty much agree on the defense – tough minute puck mover is essential – without him the forwards operate at 50% of potential.

Less so on the forwards – I’d run RNH with Hall and Drai to take best advantage of Nuge’s 2 way play and drive his value to the moon. Hall and Drai are big/tough enough to support the less physical RNH. Pou-CMD-Yak is fine for L2. Eberle is moved for the dman they need. He’s talented by not near “heavy” enough to use the GMs vocabulary. Hendricks-Kassian and a new center like Berglund or Sobotka works for my 3rd line – and leftovers like Letestu, Pak and Khaira fill the 4th.

Get Shats and Berglund/Sobotka from STL and we are heavy, talented and real pain to play against. Those players work but there are other combinations and we easily have the assets to pull this off. The days of us getting sand kicked in our face by the bad boys of the west are over.

96. RexLibris says:

Greg:

On the face of it, she could be pretty close.

If we were to try and guess the family origin we could come up with a theory about living next to an outhouse next to the church.

However, my German is minimal and I’d bet heavily that there is a different background here.

RexLibris: On the face of it, she could be pretty close.

heilige Scheiße

98. RexLibris says:

No way.

Sam Studnicka. I mean, the kid’s name has “Stud” in it. Easiest nickname ever!

Seriously though, reading Harper’s report there and he sounds like he’d be a good FA replacement for Yakimov.

And we have a movie title to work off of as well with Paul “Cool Hand” Newman – one of my film favourites. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060490/

99. AsiaOil says:

Yup – if we can dump 3-4 peripheral players and add one core piece plus a few draft picks – that’s solid.

100. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: heilige Scheiße

Depending on the century, if you bottled it with proper “provenance” from a saint, yes, yes it could very well be.

Those middle ages were a wacky time.

There were, iirc, two separate shrines housing the head of John the Baptist in Constantinople alone. Apparently the illogicality of this only served to heighten it’s nature as a true miracle!

I think there was another John the Baptist head on the pilgrim’s road leading to Constantinople as well. Probably one or two on the way to Jerusalem, depending on the path you took.

German may not be much for a romantic language, but hot damn is it good for swearing!

Yiddish owes it’s existence to a kind of creole birth of German and Hebrew, and some have studied it’s long use as a language of comedic effect. Fascinating stuff.

101. prairieschooner says:

We need a puck moving D Man
    Hamonic wants to be at home not Edmonton and is not considered a “puck mover”
    We will be spending most of our allowance on this guy so lets get what we need
    If Shattenkirk is the guy we need a sign and trade of some sort
    RNH is undervalued by too many Oilers fans

102. delooper says:

Can you get spiders to download at-will on the NHL site?

I’m teaching a class to write various bots and spiders to collect on-line data. We’ll do some basic statistical analysis of it. Weather Underground and Google have fairly strict limits on your polling rates, and you have to register with their API.

103. G Money says:

delooper,

You are good to go. My scrapers (as with all the data crunchers) download from the NHL site without problem to date. I have downloaded one entire season in one go (hours) without issue.

104. G Money says:

Sneak peek at an absolutely sick (if I do say so myself) visualization:

Player dashboard, cumulative Corsi: http://i.imgur.com/WBxKgRv.png

Player dashboard, with DangerFen line: http://i.imgur.com/F3YiCoA.png

105. delooper says:

Is your Python code available? So far I’ve just been showing the class how to parse things like json files. I imagine the NHL pages are using XML?

106. delooper says:

I like your visualization. It would be nice to have some kind of scale so that you could compare various players downward spirals with the times of the McDavid injury, etc. I imagine RNH’s down trend began when he first injured his hand?

107. G Money says:

delooper,

The NHL pages are HTML for the play by play, rosters, and shift charts, and the shot locations are in JSON format.

I’m happy to share my code with you, but do bear in mind I wrote it for me, so it is … a work in progress to be polite!

108. G Money says:

delooper,

Yes, I think that’s right, there is an ‘injury’ delineation for RNH I’m pretty sure.

The ylim are all scaled to be the same, so these are all directly comparable.

This is (literally) from the first successful run, so there’s a fair bit of cleanup, e.g. player injury gaps etc. to be done for sure.

109. cadooo says:

G Money,
    Here’s a one-liner to do the same scraping.
    wget -qO – “http://www.nhl.com/ice/schedulebyseason.htm?season=20152016&gameType=2&team=EDM&network=&venue=” | perl -ne ‘while(/recap\?id=\d{6}(\d{4})/g){print “$1\n”;}’ –

110. delooper says:

I might be able to get some students to do some of their term work on advanced stats for the NHL. That could be fun and if we’re lucky maybe there will be a contribution at the end. So yes, I’d love to grab your code. Probably some of more basic stuff is the most relevant for my students — the easier to read the better. If it’s up in a public space, great. If not I can tell you how to find my e-mail address..

111. G Money says:

delooper,

No problem, fire me an email at ganesh@shaw.ca or gmoney@coolsite.net and I’ll email you the key scripts that do the scraping of the play by play and combine that with the shot location JSON. The rest can probably wait.

I may have to review it and make sure there are no swear words in the comments!!

112. G Money says:

cadooo,

Ha, awesome!

I assume that’s Unix shell specific?

113. delooper says:

If you installed bash and perl on a mac it should work, too, I imagine.

114. G Money says:

Civilized version in sight: title includes totals, goalies are dropped, gaps show where player was out, and its sorted by best to worst aka Hall to Korpikoski.

And with that, I bid you a good night!

115. OF17 says:

Centre of attention:

Problem with Anaheim’s cap space is that 1) they are on an internal budget and 2) they have guys like Lindholm, Vatanen, Andersen, Rakell, and Perron to either sign or replace. That’s going to take a lot of cash, and I don’t think they’ll have much to play with after that.

116. G Money says:

OK, I lied. I had so many ideas running through my head, I couldn’t sleep (even though I’m bagged) and I had to get up and do a few more things.

This is Version Awesome: http://i.imgur.com/S1zHn1K.png

Seriously, take a look. This may be the best viz I’ve ever done, and the amount of info (and the amount of data scraping, analysis, and mathematical modeling) packed into this image is crazy.

Especially pay attention to the players with a big delta between their Corsi and DangerFen, there’s a real story built into each one. Plus Nuge’s injury/sickness is grossly obvious on this chart (first gap).

NOW I think I can actually sleep.

117. delooper says:

Perhaps the most striking thing is the Drai-Hall-Teddy line consists of the only three players who have been healthy all season. Well, excepting Nurse and Letestu. DHT is the only three healthy players with healthy corsi or dangerfen.

118. stevezie says:

I wonder if the Drouin situation is at all affected by his anemic production in the A? Or if everyone just assumes it’s a Draisatl situation and he’s just going through the motions?

119. Oilspill says:

Fayne is weak on cycles..there lies the whole issue.

120. Oil2Oilers says:

G Money:
    OK, I lied.I had so many ideas running through my head, I couldn’t sleep (even though I’m bagged) and I had to get up and do a few more things.

This is Version Awesome: http://i.imgur.com/S1zHn1K.png

Seriously, take a look.This may be the best viz I’ve ever done, and the amount of info (and the amount of data scraping, analysis, and mathematical modeling) packed into this image is crazy.

NOW I think I can actually sleep.

This is fantastic.

121. theres oil in virginia says:

G Money,

I always have the most trouble sleeping when I’m the most tired (mentally that is – if I’m physically tired, it’s lights out).

Are you archiving this on your site? I hope so. Also, your coding post earlier about how nhl.com stores game numbers etc, it would be nice to be able to have a look at that if I ever get a chance to do some of the things I’ve been wanting to do.

122. Eastern Oil says:

G Money:

This is Version Awesome: http://i.imgur.com/S1zHn1K.png

NOW I think I can actually sleep.

This is fantastic, thank you very much sir. Interesting to see the difference between the running Corsi and DFen for some players (RNH, Poo).

Eastern Oil: This is fantastic, thank you very much sir.Interesting to see the difference between the running Corsi and DFen for some players (RNH, Poo).

Agree. Brilliant stuff, G.

124. Really? says:

Well if it isn’t Ed Whalen stopping by and offering up a comment. Fond memories.

125. PhrankLee says:

Really?:

My favorite work of Ed’s was Stampede Wrestling. Especially when J.R.Foley was the heel manager.

126. Really? says:

PhrankLee,

This dates me but I loved Killer Kowalski and Sweet Daddy Siki. The working relationship between Whalen and Stu Hart worked very well.

127. PhrankLee says:

Really?:
    PhrankLee,

I loved Bulldog Brown and hated The Cuban Assassin so much!!

128. judgedrude says:

In the meantime and in between time…

129. Halfwise says:

G Money:

This is Version Awesome: http://i.imgur.com/S1zHn1K.png

NOW I think I can actually sleep.

First class stuff. Wow.

130. Centre of attention says:

Trade activity this morning.

*pokes OEG with stick* Do something!

131. dtk says:

RexLibris: On the face of it, she could be pretty close.

While I wish this was true, sadly, I suspect that Shattenkirk is a simplified spelling of Schattenkirk, which is not an uncommon name and is literally “Shadow Church”.

132. Projecting Chiarelli's Oilers - The Oilers Rig says:

[…] the Edmonton Oilers are going to need to improve certain areas of their roster. Our friend Lowetide, in his nightly blog, mentioned that he believes the Oilers will be a bigger and tougher team next season with less […]