G50 2015-16: PREDATORS AT OILERS

The Edmonton Oilers reach game 50 of the 2015-16 season short of a point-per-game and deep in the second division of the standings. They have figured some things out—Cam Talbot, Andrej Sekera, Brandon Davidson, Leon Driaisaitl look like keepers—but a steaming pile of question marks remain.

It’s been rough and rocky travelin’
But I’m finally standing upright on the ground
After takin’ several readings I’m surprised
To find my mind’s still fairly sound

I guess Nashville was the roughest
But I know I’ve said the same about them all
We’ve received our education
In the cities of the nation, me and Paul

CHANGING SKIES, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2014: 4-5-1
  • Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0
  • Oilers in November 2014: 2-9-3
  • Oilers in November 2015: 4-7-2
  • Oilers in December 2014: 2-8-4
  • Oilers in December 2015: 7-6-1
  • Oilers in January 2015: 5-7-1
  • Oilers in January 2016: 4-4-2
  • Oilers after 49 in 2014-15: 13-27-9, 35 points (-49 GD)
  • Oilers after 49 in 2015-16: 19-25-5, 43 points (-24 GD)

A year ago G50, the Oilers lost 4-2 to the Godless Flames. If Edmonton can win tonight, they will reach G50 a full 10 points clear of last year’s club. The Oilers went 11-16-5 from G50+, if Edmonton wins tonight and matches G50+ they will finish 31-41-10—and at 72 points. Disappointing? Sure. That said, the injuries have been a major factor. Last season, Edmonton lost 260 man games, this year it is 205 with 33 games to go. Plus, check out the names:

• Connor McDavid 36
  • Brandon Davidson 4
  • Iiro Pakarinen 3
  • Luke Gazdic 2
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 2
  • Andrej Sekera 1
  • Eric Gryba 1

Those currently on IR are underlined. When you consider the amount of time Connor McDavid, Nail Yakupov, Oscar Klefbom, Justin Schultz, Benoit Pouliot and others have been out, that has to be a factor. How much? Don’t know. One thing I hope we can agree on? This is an issue, not an excuse.

OILERS DEFENSE 2015-16

OILERS DEFENSE OVER SEASON

• Brandon Davidson and Oscar Klefbom are the future and they are injured. The Oilers have no answer in the minors for either man and no outside help is coming. The numbers for these players are outstanding when you consider how little experience they have in the NHL.
  • Eric Gryba and Andrej Sekera occupy different spots in the batting order, but both newcomers have contributed in their own way. Added to Mark Fayne—who has an excellent Corsi and Rel—they must form the heart of the defensive group until good health returns for the kids.
  • Justin Schultz and Darnell Nurse are plagued by gaps in coverage and lapses in concentration and awareness. Schultz has been playing better hockey in the last few weeks, Nurse has been fading after a solid start. The numbers suggest Nurse has neither progressed nor regressed in the last six weeks, but he was facing tougher minutes during some of the period. If he does stay on the third pairing, we should look for a movement toward 50 percent on the Corsi—hasn’t manifested itself yet.

CENTER, 2015-16

oilers centers over season

• Leon Draisaitl and Connor McDavid are set up for a fun race to the finish in some of these advanced categories. Encouraging future, can’t wait to see McDavid back in action.
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins won’t have much of the season left when he returns, based on reports. I think he had some struggles this year, but remain surprised by people wanting to see him down the line. He is a very young center who is approaching his career peak. Extremely unlikely you win a Nuge trade in 2016.
  • Anton Lander, Matt Hendricks and Mark Letestu will see more action in the days to come, now that Nuge is injured. I think all three could be back, more likely just two.

WINGERS, 2015-16

oil forwards over season

• Taylor Hall is enjoying a great season, even with the cool running over the last dozen games. He is an impact player at 5×5, with a monster total for high-danger scoring chances. If they can figure out the power play, we are talking about year-end honors.
  • The list of wingers who are 1.50/60 at 5×5 or better is substantial: Hall, Teddy Purcell, Benoit Pouliot, Nail Yakupov, Zack Kassian, Jordan Eberle. If Leon Draisaitl were added to RW for next season, is that enough for three scoring lines? I think it is.
  • If you could trade (say) No. 3 overall in a package and get your complete RH defenseman that way, would you prefer to keep this forward group? The F’s are good, very good.
  • Anton Slepyshev doesn’t get a lot of mention, but I wonder if the Oilers recall him once he is healthy (and after the deadline). He has some nice skills.

TRADE DEADLINE THOUGHTS

Peter Chiarelli is already moving on his RFA and UFA talents, and the Cam Talbot signing signaled the beginning of that portion of the roster framework. We all have our favorites (and least favorites!) and the market will tell us what has value. That said, here is my list of players who should be in play:

• Gone: Teddy Purcell (and maybe back?); I think the Oilers may keep him in mind for July 1, depending on who is dealt (possibly a RW). Second-round pick?
  • Gone or signed: Eric Gryba. If Gryba isn’t back next season, ”a” Gryba is likely to be on that third pairing. He might be back, I would trade him at the deadline. Can the Oilers get a third-round pick for him? Seems dear.
  • Shopped but destination unknown: Justin Schultz. His value cannot be high, despite good performances in recent weeks. Why? His contract runs out of time with his value. He is absolutely a rental, as the team owning his rights is unlikely to negotiate with him off his current deal. If he takes a team to arbitration, suspect said team walks. Can the Oilers get Brett Ritchie for him?
  • Possibly has value: G Anders Nilsson. His value cannot be high right now, and Chiarelli shouldn’t be in a hurry to sign him. If someone comes calling? Suspect it is unlikely, but the Oilers don’t know what he is or isn’t at this time. Fifth-round pick?
  • Staying, pretty sure: R Iiro Pakarinen. He might be a keeper, folks. I mean a long term keeper. Takes a year later and miles past Tyler Pitlick, the race appears to be over before it begins. I can’t see the next in-house option for this role (unless Khaira qualifies but I don’t think the two men will be applying for the same job).
  • Depth addition: R Rob Klinkhammer. He is fast and can check, there isn’t much offense. As an extra forward? Seems to me everyone has this player type in various forms.
  • No: Luke Gazdic. I think the Oilers probably bring him back, he is playing in 57 percent of the Oilers’s games this season. Extremely unlikely he would play much in the postseason. I remain impressed with his progress as a player, although those who value enforcers more than me don’t feel the same way.
  • No: Brad Hunt. As talented as he is in the AHL, the gap between the two leagues is enormous and he can’t help a contending team.
  • No: Brandon Davidson. Sign the man.

Linus Omark. I always liked the guy, others thought him a fool. The Oilers made the draft bet and he had some moments, but arrived in a season that featured fellow rookies Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle and Magnus Paajarvi. I always hoped we would see him in the NHL again, suspect that ship has sailed. Glad to see he is having fun.

This is exactly how I read it. Everyone says it is a great idea—and Landon Ferraro took off like a bat out of hell when he left Detroit—but Andersson’s rep seems to be far greater than recent performance. Seems he is a bigger Anton Lander at this point, at 6.02, 211 and with good two-way ability some team may take him. Edmonton? Maybe. Lander does some things, can’t score. Andersson would seem to have similar issues. We wait.

631 Responses to "G50 2015-16: PREDATORS AT OILERS"

« Older Comments
  1. Bruce McCurdy says:

OilClog: What was the paid price for Reinhart again?

Hmmm

Not sure if serious.

Also not sure how relevant is this question. Does every Matt Hendricks game get measured against trading a Vezina finalist for him, or do we just judge him on his own merits? Suggest similar treatment for Reinhart or whoever else. Second guessing trades from 6 months ago or draft choices from 5 YEARS ago as some have done in this thread, serve little purpose in my view. What’s done is done.

Bruce McCurdy: Not sure if serious.

Also not sure how relevant is this question. Does every Matt Hendricks game get measured against trading a Vezina finalist for him, or do we just judge him on his own merits? Suggest similar treatment for Reinhart or whoever else. Second guessing trades from 6 months ago or draft choices from 5 YEARS ago as some have done in this thread, serve little purpose in my view. What’sdone is done.

Yes. Amen.

3. bendelson says:

Do I have this correct?

The wildly off target point shot goes off Sekeras head and directly down the goalers pants. 2 or 3 seconds later the puck drops into the net. Game winner!

Hokey man.

Was at the game tonight: entertainment value waining…
    Alcohol consumption increasing…

4. Centre of attention says:

I think Todds post game was very telling.

“We have to get deeper as a team, a quarterback on the power play and such. And we will get better, I know we will”

He knows about the up coming Shattenkirk trade doesn’t he. Lol.

5. Centre of attention says:

bendelson:

Was at the game tonight:entertainment value waining…
    Alcohol consumption increasing…

I am in the same boat as you my friend.

McDavid should help tip the scales back into the “entertaining” sides favor though 🙂

6. BONVIE says:

Bruce McCurdy: Not sure if serious.

Bruce as always says it so well.

7. hags9k says:

bendelson,

The ref should have blown that down when it was in his pad! Cmon! What a list of bad breaks this year. Bordering on comical.

8. BONE207 says:

Hi Gang…I’ve got it figured out now. LT needs to have a built in sexy voice to read the posts on this site as they’re posted. I now watch all Oiler games with the TV muted. At least reading the input posted here keeps me semi interested. The voice would have me entertained as I sit drinking in the middle of my kitchen floor. How much would you need Al? ***drops wallet into the well***

9. AsiaOil says:

Missed the end of the game as I had to take the family out – but very nice effort by GR. Comparing the rink maps for GR/Gryba and Nurse/Shultz that GM put up (thanks a bunch bud!) is hilarious. Kind of like comparing the bullet spread between a machine gun and a single bb gun. Liked GR’s game a lot but there is very much another gear there. I saw him look up ice for the more risky stretch pass to a breaking forward at center ice a couple of times but he chose the safer outlet to Gryba. Still advanced the puck but you could tell he was being careful. Nurse needs some time in the AHL when Davidson gets back and there is no shame in that. He’s drowning and needs to work on some things and get his confidence back. Right now he reminds me of Drai last year. Send him down and let him work on stuff so that he starts next year in the right place. Shultz is Shultz – just praying he’s gone at the deadline to anyone deluded enough to think he’s “fixable”.

As for the rest – our “2nd” line was awful – they should return whatever 1/82 of $12 million works out to. I won’t antagonize Pouzar more than necessary but after Ebs got flattened like a bug against the glass by Weber a couple of times in the first he was pretty much useless. Pou looked like he’d never played center (oh yeah – he hasn’t played center), his replacement Lander was useless and Yak wandered around like a kid no one wanted to play with.

Hard to be pissed with the result given the players hurt – nobody wins under these conditions – and GR’s play was good to see. Will be interesting to see how Chia builds this defense. Agree with Bruce that Gryba has his uses as a RH dman and another season with TMac could see more improvement. Would not be opposed to a 2 year deal as long as it’s south of $2 million per year. Klef and Sekera are top 4 – while GR/Nurse/Davidson are all fine on the 3rd pair (but all LHD). “Somebodys” gotta go to get some balance – and as much as I would hate losing him – Klef for Hamonic makes some sense. Then if you can also peel Shats out of STL for Eberle you have:

Sekera Hamonic
    GR Shats
    Nurse Gryba Davidson

Eberle will do real well surrounded by all that beef in STL – but the elusive balance finally appears – and I build a little shrine in my place for Chia.

10. OF17 says:

AsiaOil,

Klefbom is a better defenseman than Hamonic today, and he’s younger and locked up longer too. The overall idea of balancing the LHD and RHD is nice, but if we’re doing it at a loss to overall quality, what’s the point?

11. Atc-Nate says:

Except Klefbom is bigger and takes less penalties, which could be a sign of no aggression… Or of smart defense. I prefer the latter.

OF17:
    AsiaOil,

12. Oilspill says:

If one player completely CHANGES another player how reliable is corsi as an individual stat? Just trying to figure this out. If Gryba Reinhardt play with the 4th line how can their corsi be reflective of their individual play?

Zelepukin:
    This is how I saw it:

Any decent chance only occurred when the Hall line was on, regardless of D pairing.

Jultz is killing Nurse.

Nurse needs help not the responsibility of being the better D on his pairing.

Reinhart is reliable and actually makes Gryba look smart with the puck.

Pouliot is not a center and luckily McL notices that too after the first.

Ebs continues to do nothing on his own. He needs Nuge or a playmaking center. He’ll carry the puck to the corner but the lack of enthusiasm in attempting to score, was very evident this game.

Kassian is refreshing to watch. Our bottom 6, or essentially half the game, is spent watching a bunch of plugs that you just hope can muster a dump and change without doing something stupid. At least he hits and stirs the pot. Garbage goals seem possible when he is forechecking.

13. Bank Shot says:

Oilspill:

It’s not any more reliable than any other individual stat IMO. Points can be changed by a skilled player playing with a much better player.

Guys like Hall at the top end and enforcers at the bottom earn their corsi stats. I think a lot of guys in the middle have good or bad corsi ratings depending on how the coach deploys them.

14. Oilspill says:

Corsi is interesting but seems more relevant as a group indicator. To go from a group measure to a personal indicator just doesn’t seem to hold much relevance at all but then again I’ve only taken one stats class.

15. JOFA says:

Reinhart had a good game. Still not a fan. Horrific skater. 6-7 D-man at best.

16. Johnny skid says:

JOFA:
    Reinhart had a good game. Still not a fan. Horrific skater. 6-7 D-man at best.

i take it you have never seen him skate.

17. Halfwise says:

Johnny skid: i take it you have never seen him skate.

JOFA described himself as “not a fan, a horrific skater, and a 6-7 D-man at best.” At least that is how I read it. So, not an expert…

18. böök¡je says:

I think it’s fair to consider who a player was traded for as long as you are evaluating the GM, not the player. So, when I see people frustrated about Reinhart’s play mentioning the trade, I feel as though they are being critical of Chiarelli, not Rienhart.

In other news, the good thing about losing ~1800 man games to injury this year is that the Oilers get a falsely good draft pick.

19. PhrankLee says:

JOFA:
    Reinhart had a good game. Still not a fan. Horrific skater. 6-7 D-man at best.

Then comes a comment like this.

Pure imagination. I agree GR had a good game. A really good game, by the way.

He is an excellent skater. Seriously, excellent.

20. JOFA says:

Johnny skid: i take it you have never seen him skate.

I’m guessing the Oilers feel his skating needs to improve as well.

21. Магия 10 says:

Oilspill:

Sure. But you can say that about personal stats too. Would Reinhart have led the team in personal shots last night without as much time with 4 & 29?

Lost in the glare of outrageous corsi and fenwick the shot counts are equally interesting.

Hall 2 Drai 1

Reinhart 4 Gryba 2

Hey it’s only one game but what if the Reinhart we saw at start of year in and out of lineup with a day to day nagging injury isn’t the guy we ‘ll see after the break?

22. JOFA says:

Musilesque I might add lol.

23. Really? says:

Lot of people weighing in on GR this morning. He has a full package of skills to be a very good NHL defenseman. Will he be the next OEL or Karlsson? No. Does that mean he has no value? No.

Oiler fans have a tendency to be incredibly harsh on young D men who are still developing. Give him a chance and I believe he will deliver. Maybe not as a #1 or #2 but there is nothing wrong with a solid #4 or #5 D man.

Not every trade and not every prospect are home runs. Some are solid singles or doubles or whatever.

24. blainer says:

PhrankLee: There is misleading and there is misinformation. There lies, damn lies and stats.

Then comes a comment like this.

Pure imagination.I agree GR had a good game. A really good game, by the way.

He is an excellent skater. Seriously, excellent.

Ya know I never noticed his skating at all last night. So that is really good. With D it’s much easier for me to pick out a slow skater as the game is sooo fast.

I wonder if the correct move after the break is switch Nurse with Reinhart and Have Darnell get some time on the farm.

25. Bruce McCurdy says:

JOFA:
    Musilesque I might add lol.

26. JOFA says:

I’m glad I got the blood flowing this morning.

27. hudler1234 says:

böök¡je:
    I think it’s fair to consider who a player was traded for as long as you are evaluating the GM, not the player.So, when I see people frustrated about Reinhart’s play mentioning the trade, I feel as though they are being critical of Chiarelli, not Rienhart.

At the time of the trade, it was given mixed reviews, Chiraelli was sold a bill of goods as reinhart was an oilking, when in reality hes at best a 5 defencemen, and not what Peter was llooking for when he traded away 2 high picks.

28. Магия 10 says:

JOFA:
    I’m glad I got the blood flowing this morning.

Now that your blood is flowing your brain has a chance to thaw.

29. JOFA says:

Магия 10,

Lol. Let me appease you. Reinhart had an amazing game last night. Fantastic skater. 1-2 D-man guaranteed. Better?

30. kevin says:

JOFA:
    Магия 10,

Lol. Let me appease you. Reinhart had an amazing game last night. Fantastic skater. 1-2 D-man guaranteed.Better?

Yes, much better. Thanks!

31. dadoug12 says:

Bruce McCurdy: I read on the Interweb opinions from folks who’d never seen Reinhart play that he was/is a lousy skater. If it’s on the interweb it must be true.

yep just ask eklund LOL The king of the interweb rumor mills,

« Older Comments