PURPLE HAZE

I asked some pretty smart observers of the good ship Oil about the chances of Adam Clendening being claimed, and to a person they had the same response: No. As it turns out, we were all scouting the wrong guy!

• Adam Clendening on Peter Chiarelli“When he called me this morning, that was something he said. He’s kept track. He liked what I had to offer at school, getting drafted, and it’s definitely nice to know you have a fan in your GM.” Source

I believe the waiver wire is an underused tool for NHL teams and am happy the Oilers pursued it today. I also believe there are probably 150 fringe NHL players just like Clendening looking for an opportunity like the one he got today. You can bet the farm he will work his tail off for Chiarelli and the Oilers over the rest of the season.

Will he make it? Tough to say. Edmonton doesn’t use the transaction often (or at least the previous GMs did not), but we have seen Matt Fraser, Luke Gazdic and Niko Hoivenen (bet you forgot!) in recent history. Earlier in the century, men like Ryan Jones and Steve MacIntyre arrived via the waiver wire.

NHLE’S

Using the NHL equivalencies that fit the time (Vollman mostly) I came up with the following:

• Age 18 (NCAA) 39, 5-21-26 (NHLE per 82GP: 18)
  • Age 19 (NCAA) 38, 4-29-33 (NHLE per 82GP: 23)
  • Age 20 (AHL) 73, 9-37-46 (NHLE per 82GP: 23)
  • Age 21 (AHL) 74, 12-47-59 (NHLE per 82GP: 29)

That takes us to 2014-15, where got was dealt to Vancouver in January and then began his vagabond days, landing with the Oilers today. CAN he fill a role with the Oilers? Maybe. He is a second-round selection from 2011 (the Oilers also picked up Iiro Pakarinen from the same draft year) and the resume looks reasonably encouraging.

HIS NHL CAREER

VERY small sample size, he is 30 games and 468 minutes into his NHL career, that is pretty much no time at all. He has a 50.8 percent Corsi and a 51.0 Fenwick and has played with people I would think we can agree are third pairing and fourth-line types.

WHO WILL IT IMPACT?

The Oilers will need to make room for him, and the Brad Hunt demotion may have been in order to get Brandon Davidson back off IR and onto the roster. When Klefbom comes back, suggest we will see a trade—and that may happen sooner if the club has decided Griffin Reinhart is NHL-ready. I should also mention the possibility of Darnell Nurse being sent out, although that appears to be a distant bell.

OILERS DEFENSE OVER SEASON

Clendening may not help, but looking at these numbers I would suggest giving him 32 games to show what he can do is a reasonable idea.

WHO IS GETTING TRADED?

177 Responses to "PURPLE HAZE"

1. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I like the pickup. Low risk, and I like what it foreshadows. Hopefully he can make the long range pass this team needs to hit some of our forwards in full stride.

Man, people are going full internet over Tyler Dellow’s earlier twitter comment. I mean, I don’t agree with what he said, but geez the reaction has been harsh. Makes me really appreciate the sanity and level-headedness that usually dominates this particular corner of the web.

Thanks again for building this space LT.

2. RexLibris says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    I like the pickup.Low risk, and I like what it foreshadows.Hopefully he can make the long range pass this team needs to hit some of our forwards in full stride.

Man, people are going full internet over Tyler Dellow’s earlier twitter comment.I mean, I don’t agree with what he said, but geez the reaction has been harsh.Makes me really appreciate the sanity and level-headedness that usually dominates this particular corner of the web.

Thanks again for building this space LT.

I got what Dellow was trying to say and could well understand his point (he isn’t a callous or malicious person), but as soon as he posted that I knew it was going to catch flak for it.

Certainly not something I would’ve put out there, but he doesn’t generally seem to be afraid of people’s opinions.

Ca$h-McMoney!:

Thanks again for building this space LT.

Right back at you. This space becomes useless with me replying to myself, and I would get stupider every day. Hell without you bunch, this would be a Flames blog by the end of the year!

4. RexLibris says:

I think Dellow might have deleted his twitter account.

Can’t seem to find it any longer.

Or I’m pushing the wrong lever on the intertubes.

5. Frank the dog says:

What did fellow say?
    I mean Dellow

6. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Hell without you bunch, this would be a Flames blog by the end of the year!

Them’s fighting words! I like it!

But to play the role of contrarian (unusual for me, I know) one of the most anticipated series on this blog is built off of you essentially replying to, or in some cases at, yourself.

7. geowal says:

RexLibris,

If you find it feel free to enlighten those of us in the dark

8. RexLibris says:

Frank the dog:
    What did fellow say?

He complained about the spamming nature of the Let’s Talk campaign.

Essentially his point was that while he loves what Bell is doing, what it results in is a flood of meaningless tweets being sent out.

He later went on to clarify that while he enjoys people telling their stories what he doesn’t like is the mindless hashtags being thrown around without any real thought or purpose behind them.

I completely understand where he’s coming from, I just think this was one of those moments for the inside voice.

I really hope he doesn’t stay off twitter for too long over this. Nuanced opinions have little place on the internet and can practically kill a man on a 140-character forum like Twitter.

9. LadiesloveSmid says:

Frank the dog,

I saw ” #BellLetsSpam”. Someone tweeted it to the oilers twitter and they said “We’re aware of the matter in question and it’s being dealt with”, I think his account has gone down since then.

10. frjohnk says:

Ca$h-McMoney!: Man, people are going full internet over Tyler Dellow’s earlier twitter comment

what happened?

I’m not on twitter.

EDIT: got it.

11. geowal says:

RexLibris,

I’m not even on Twitter and I’m aware of the meaningless nature of many hashtags. But yes, wrong day, wrong issue to voice dislike of such.

12. RexLibris says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Frank the dog,

That’s probably the angle that has him in hot water today.

NHL employee, etc.

13. meanashell11 says:

I thought the “thought or purpose” was to raise money for a good cause?? Pretty obvious, no?

14. Unwashed Oilfan says:

frjohnk,

Someone speaks their mind, tells the truth and is persecuted beyond all reasonable means. Since this will put me in the penalty box, might as well keep on. Why is Alberta oil no good for the United States of ‘merica but terrorist oil is?

15. RexLibris says:

On the Clendenning front (I want to call him something related to Scotch, like Oban or some such, but I also like Kat Dennings and so depending on how he plays may take to nicknaming him Cat, because it’s cool and makes me think of Cat Stevens…so, um, that’s pretty much how my mind works…)

…Anyway, I like the pickup because they have every blueliner and his dog on the IR right now, it sounds like Chiarelli has a bead on him as a person and player, I suspect McLellan has a take on him from his, albeit brief, Vancouver days when the Sharks might have played against him and let’s be perfectly honest here, how bad would he have to be for the Oilers not to come out ahead here?

Someone in the last thread mentioned Cam Barker and that’s probably a decent threshold to have going in. If the guy can make a ten foot pass onto the tape (…of a teammate!) and get a few pucks from the point past the first defender blocking then we’re ahead or break-even already.

16. RexLibris says:

geowal:
    RexLibris,

Yeah, when I used it I tried to make sure I had something at least passingly worthwhile (or at least I thought so) to mention. Not a soapbox, mind you, but enough to put it in context.

17. fifthcartel says:

If Dellow got canned for that then that’s seriously awful, especially for people to tweet the Oilers that.

As for Clendening, this has to be their best waiver claim in like, 10 years maybe? Actually that depends on how you see Ryan Jones but I’m just happy to see a non-enforcer waiver claim used.

I think this is a better claim than Fraser was.

18. frjohnk says:

WHO IS GETTING TRADED?

“Three men may have enough value to both warrant a trade and be expendable. I will suggest Mark Fayne has the most value, that Justin Schultz fits the Clendening skill set most closely, and that Eric Gryba could also be in play. We wait.”

All 3 could be gone. It would depend on interest from other teams. Health on our blue line. And whether or not the Oilers want to play the last 18 games with a extremely inexperienced roster

Klefbom- Sekera
    Nurse-Davidson
    Reinhart-Clendenning
    Musil

I think Gryba is the one they probably would want to keep.

He would be the cheapest and I believe for the Oilers he does a better a job in filling the 3rd pairing role compared to Fayne and Schultz filling in the 1st and 2nd pairing roles.

I think if the Oilers get rid of Gryba, then they would just be looking for another Gryba next year. Big, tough, can defend, cheap and play 3rd pairing.

If the Oilers get rid of Fayne and Schultz, they are looking for upgrades from both.

19. RexLibris says:

Unwashed Oilfan:
    frjohnk,

Someone speaks their mind, tells the truth and is persecuted beyond all reasonable means.Since this will put me in the penalty box, might as well keep on.Why is Alberta oil no good for the United States of ‘merica but terrorist oil is?

The oil market is so complex that much of what is put forth by the leaders is more posturing than anything.

At their core the US isn’t opposed to Alberta oil ideologically but one consideration that doesn’t get much play is that they are aware of what happens to Canadian oilsands bitumen if the US remains the single available market by way of pipeline.

All that aside, this is a very thorny issue so probably best to take it to other forums. I’m on twitter if you want to drop me a line where I’m generally happy to discuss any topic (in 140 character sound bites, mind you).

Rex Codex Libris@CodexRex

20. Oilspill says:

21. RexLibris says:

fifthcartel:

I think this is a better claim than Fraser was.

I don’t think he got fired. I think he was told to take a hiatus from social media (sit in the corner and think about what you did).

I like the Clendening pickup on paper, but I’m going to wait and see how he works out before saying it is the best. However, it is a pretty damning statement of the team that we could plausibly argue that right now.

Yes, I’d say much better than Fraser. I really didn’t like that pickup, although I liked it more than MacIntyre.

22. RexLibris says:

Does Clendening get to practice with the team over the AS break?

I doubt it, but any extra practice time he gets will certainly help and could make a world of difference for this team when they come back on Feb 2nd.

23. John Chambers says:

Fayne gets traded if Chia is willing to eat $1M each season. Another team would find value in a vet at $2.75, while I think Chia wants some room to out-bid competitors for a game changing UFA.

24. RexLibris says:

frjohnk:
    WHO IS GETTING TRADED?

All 3 could be gone.It would depend on interest from other teams.Health on our blue line.And whether or not the Oilers want to play the last 18 games with a extremely inexperienced roster

Klefbom- Sekera
    Nurse-Davidson
    Reinhart-Clendenning
    Musil

I think Gryba is the one they probably would want to keep.

I think if the Oilers get rid of Gryba, then they would just be looking for another Gryba next year.Big, tough, can defend, cheap and play 3rd pairing.

Well, we’re assuming Ference is bought out or retires over the summer.

Nikitin smokebombs off the roster and salary cap.

And I think the tea leaves are pointing pretty heavily that Schultz has played his last here.

So that is three spots alone that could be vacated.

Now you’re down to Gryba or Fayne and I think the writing is on the wall that Gryba is the guy McLellan would rather have while Fayne might interest an EC team.

25. sliderule says:

My daughter asked me if we will get oil to tidewater.

My reply was as long as Justin Trudeau is PM there will be no pipelines built.

How is that for a comforting thought in a week that oilers don’t play

John Chambers:

I tend to agree with you. Retained dollars probably means a useful return, too.

27. RexLibris says:

fifthcartel:

I hope so.

And yeah, fair enough. I’d say it’s better than Gazdic too but someone could argue Gazdic stops then from using draft picks to get an enforcer.

Ha, the proverbial finger in the dike of management’s stupidity! We aim high, us fans, don’t we.

28. Alsker says:

RexLibris,

Can they send him to BAK for conditioning…he can skate with the chosen one.

29. russ99 says:

Sucks for Dellow, but you have to watch what you tweet nowadays.

I get his point, but it’s all about awareness of a condition that has a stigma and is usually swept under the rug, and should be much more visible. Hope the oil just slap him on the wrist and get him to a class on social media marketing.

RexLibris

The problem with the oil sands pipeline in the US is that it’s been hyper politicized.

One side wants to drill everywhere, abolish the EPA and all regulatory bodies
    The other wants to focus on alternative energy

Both are wrong in this case, but since it’s hyper politicized and neither side is backing down or compromising about anything, it’s a dead issue.

But don’t remind me how much my country’s government reeks on the federal, state and local levels, and of the nimrods we have to choose from to run the country in November.

I also think Fayne is the one on the way out, unless they get good value for Schultz.

30. PunjabiOil says:

Dellow (pre-hire) liked to chime in on anything and everything. He’s opinionated, and can rub people off the wrong way.

Obviously he’s toned it down, since the hire, but twitter still provided a platform for him to vent occasionally.

Probably a silly mistake on his part to get so heavily involved in a sensitive topic (even if his views are reasonable). Now that he’s hired by an NHL team and his twitter page acts as a forum of his public persona, he has to be careful not to expose himself too much.

31. PunjabiOil says:

This was the tweet in question.

Not exactly a bundle of smarts.

32. G Money says:

Suspect the “who’s out” priority list goes like this:

Schultz – duplicates skill set

Fayne – we know what TMc has done with his ice time, though he’s been much better of late

Gryba – brings a “particular set of skills” that pretty much no other defender other than Nurse brings

In any case, I expect Schultz should be gone (no way they QO him at $4M, and no QO means he’s UFA, and no team short of the playoffs should be holding on to its UFAs if they can get *anything* at the trade deadline)

Gryba should also be gone at the trade deadline (see: UFA). I wouldn’t be unhappy if they re-signed him this summer for $1M to play 6/7D

Fayne – not sure why we get rid of him. I think he’s been OK with Sekera. If you get rid of him, Chia has to add two Top 4 D if he wants to keep the youngsters on the third pairing. I’m fine with getting rid of him if, say, both Hamonic and Shattenkirk are on their way here. Davidson/Nurse/Reinhart/Gryba scrapping for third pairing would be a thing of beauty. In fact, I’m salivating at the idea of running Sekera-Hamonic, Klefbom-Shattenkirk, and [Davidson-Nurse-Reinhart] to move the puck up to Hall, Nuge, Connor, and Dr. Drai. GAAAAHHHH!

But I expect just one Top 4 D is realistic, and that means if you want to keep an NHL-calibre hurdle in front of the youngsters, Fayne should stick around.

33. jp says:

G Money:

Schultz – duplicates skill set

This is funny.

34. Halfwise says:

russ99:

My prophecy is Schultz goes cheap to a playoff team, plays very little then somehow finds himself in the Petr Klima role, scoring the GWG in triple overtime and garnering a rich contact as a result.

More power to him; I’d prefer it to be on the east coast somewhere, maybe NJ.

35. Younger Oil says:

Just wondering, what does Clendening do better than Connauton, besides being a right shooting Dman?

Not knocking the Oilers, happy with the waiver claim, just Connauton seems like a superior player at the NHL level after a quick glance.

Though I suppose Connauton was on waivers before the Davidson injury.

36. Melman says:

G Money,

Fayne is the best of the 3 at reducing tire fires…which is really the threshold at this point in time – so he’s my preferred keep of the 3

37. Melman says:

Halfwise,

It’d be awesome if Van. signed him to a Sbisa contract and then spent 3 years agonizing over it

38. Brad says:

Love the Clendening pickup. Not that I know much of anything about the player, but the scouting report is intriguing and we are desperate for bodies right now with the injuries. If it doesn’t work out, and people start getting healthy, you can throw him back on the waiver wire and walk away in the summer. There’s really no downside to it with 32 games left on his contract.

I think some here are defending Dellow based on personal connection to him, because there’s really no reason for his comments. The “spam” of the hashtag is raising money for mental health initiatives, even if you think it’s not raising any meaningful awareness. So while I like Dellow, he really missed the mark on this one and yes, I think he does deserve the flak coming his way. Hopefully it doesn’t cost him his job in this case, and he takes his sensitivity training to heart.

39. barry.moore23 says:

russ99,

Russ99, As a fellow IL (Bloomington) we get to count our blessings twice when we look at national and state issues ? Mr. Rauner says hi !!

40. Mr DeBakey says:

Unwashed Oilfan: Why is Alberta oil no good for the United States of ‘merica but terrorist oil is?

Oilspill: So Mark Fayne has more value? I don’t get it. If Gryba goes on waivers does he clear? How are you determining value? Stats, economics or what teams want or need?

Fayne’s a better player than Gryba.
    Of course, in a Cap world the better player may not be the best option.

41. PunjabiOil says:

Well said.

I’m a fan of Dellow’s work and his hire.

But his tweet is asinine. What reaction did he honestly expect after making that tweet? It’s a sensitive topic especially to those who have lost their loved ones due to mental illness/depression/etc.

It wasn’t a battle he was going to win, even if he could defend himself.

It wasn’t a battle he was going to win irrespective on intent.

And quite possibly may cost him his job.

42. AsiaOil says:

I like the Clendening pickup – not like we have an abundance RHD or offensive dmen in the system. Give him a run the the rest of the season to see what he has. ANA has an over-abundance of defensemen so I can see how they wanted to send him down. We were reduced to playing Hunt so there is clearly room.

As for guys on the way out. Shultz is toast either in a package or on his own – but in either case – he will not see March in an Oilers jersey and good riddance. Very few player wearing the oil drop that I have actually disliked – JS is one of the handful. I have time for Gryba as a 6-7 dman under $2 million per year over 2 years. He’s tough and can handle that role as long as you don’t expect any more. He’ll be offered a contract likely – but if he doesn’t accept – will likely be dealt at the deadline for maybe a 3rd which would be a net add. I actually thought Fayne played his best game in forever against NAS. He was solid and punished a number of guys with solid checks. Happy to include him if we need to take on salary but won’t be upset if he stays and can keep up that level of play.

As for Oiler history and the waiver wire – still pissed off over spring 2013 when we passed on Jussi Jokinen while Horcoff was hurt and we were in a playoff race – then traded for Jarred f’ing Smithson a few weeks later. Jokinen went on to score 57 points the next season. I’ll go to my grave believing Lowe threw that team under the bus to provide cover for firing Tambo/Kruger and bring in MacT/Eakins. No wonder Hemsky and Horcoff were suddenly out as I’m sure they were not quiet about intensionally throwing a season.

43. Water Fire says:

RexLibris: That’s probably the angle that has him in hot water today.

NHL employee, etc.

His tone deafness, as a lawyer to boot, is a perfect fit for the old boy Oilers. I hope the new regime presents better.

44. Магия 10 says:

Not a fan of twitter pile ons. And don’t even get me started on #rexallbeatscancer or #wildroseorphansfund or #bellletstalk

Kudos to Bell for funding a campaign. No biggie if their logo is in their somewhere, but citizens as brand vectors is too much.

Of course twitter is about the worst possible place to dive into any of that. And today is the worst possible time to point out that bell should do this next time without making participants ring Bell’s bell

45. speeds says:

Younger Oil:

Though I suppose Connauton was on waivers before the Davidson injury.

Clendening is two and a half years younger, and 3 years younger for UFA purposes.

46. Oilspill says:

My thought is one (62 )is MUCH better defensively and cheaper even with a significant raise.

RexLibris: Well, we’re assuming Ference is bought out or retires over the summer.

Nikitin smokebombs off the roster and salary cap.

So that is three spots alone that could be vacated.

47. Pouzar says:

Quite honestly I thought Laraque’s tweet to P. O’Sullivan was way more appalling.
    That guy can suck a lemon for all I care. He got off way too easy for that imo.

48. PunjabiOil says:

That guy can suck a lemon for all I care. He got off way too easy for that imo

Yeah, those were bad.

He got off because he’s irrelevant today.

When guys like Coffey, CUJO, Fuhr, Anderson, Pisani, etc can come into town to sign autographs without much fanfare, a 4th liner like Laraque isn’t going to attract much attention one way or the other.

49. MrEd says:

Zidlicky
    Mayfield
    Pulock
    Burroughs
    Graham.

51. MrEd says:

Is Klef for Hamonic batshite crazy all things considered?

52. MrEd says:

Then Jultz for a pick and distant bell that can play at least in the AHL?

53. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Random thoughts on Clamdigging

~I would have preferred a trade here I think if Chia was this interested in the player. Contract in/out and such.

~I don’t see a lot separating Clamdigging, Colaredo and Coonougat other than Chia saw Clam play in Boston, which reminds me of that time he said, “I have time for Korpikoski, I always have.”

GMs all seem to share this fixed memory thing with players, they have to scratch that itch at some point down the road.

~I like this late season D pick up by any means much more than Mark Fraser

~I don’t have any problem with what Dellow said. I think large-scale campaigns ought to be able to handle absorb this kind of mild rebuke without fret-storms. That said, Dellow should have no expectation that he can experience Twitter in any particular manner of his choosing.

54. MrEd says:

Nope. Jultz for Mayfield. Done!

55. cc says:

Younger Oil:

Though I suppose Connauton was on waivers before the Davidson injury.

They are two different player types.
    Connauton doesn’t likely have the offensive upside that Clendening has.
    Also, Connauton is 3 years older, which is huge.
    Clendening has better draft pedigree he was a high second rounder. KC was an overager and was drafted in the 3rd round.
    Smaller defenseman they typically make the jump between the age of 22 – 25. Clendening having just turned 23 is right in line with when they ‘turn the corner’ or head over to Europe.

From a career standpoint Clendening has been better than Connauton at the same stage in their career. In their +1 Draft Year(s) Clendening had .87 Pts/G versus Connauton’s.45 Pts/G in NCAA.
    In their +2 draft year Clendening put up .63 in the AHL. Connauton’s best offensive year in the AHL was his +5 draft year when he put up .45 pts/G in the AHL. Clendening put up .8 pts/g in the AHL in his +3 draft year. AC hasn’t really had a good opportunity to play in the NHL but looking at his WOWY’s it doesn’t look bad.

I don’t think this was a bad move by the Oiler’s given their issues with the PP. This is a huge opportunity for Clendening, as he is likely to be given the opportunity to play on the #1PP. Something that I doubt he had a realistic shot at with Chicago (Keith), Vancouver (Edler), Pittburgh (Letang) or Anahiem (Vatanen).

Is KC a better defenseman than Clendening today? Probably. Will he have a better career than Clendening? Possibly. Should the Oiler’s have picked him up over Clendening? Perhaps.
    In all likelihood AC is a JAG (just a guy) that will hold down a roster spot while they move out old parts (Schultz, Gryba and/or Fayne).

56. Receptor Antagonist says:

LT, at least now you can unequivocally answer your daughters epic question as to which dening is your favorite!

CLEN, DUH!

57. Romulus Apotheosis says:

MrEd:
    Is Klef for Hamonic batshite crazy all things considered?

Not batshit… but I don’t see how it advances things. It looks mostly like a lateral move that sacrifices some modest upside for some modest reliability

58. Quinlan says:

Re: Dellow

I winced when I read those comments just because you know what’s about to follow. Twitterstorm, “outrage,” keyboard warriors, etc. #BellLetsTalk has become popular and trendy which is the point. Everybody jumps on the bus and the movement picks up momentum. Celebrities join the cause, bringing their posses to the shindig, and before you know it, this thing is a tidal wave.

I don’t particularly disagree with Dellow. But boy, was that unwise. He’s intelligent, very much so, but trite. How’s the saying go? “Nothing is so hurtful to wisdom as too much wit.”

Anyways, the most he’s guilty of is poor foresight and discernment. He’s no villain to be burned at the stake. The intent behind his words was ignored; he was judged rashly (welcome to twitter) and beat down (some posters were disgusting).

You have to admit – the #BellLetsTalk deal provides an enormous amount of exposure for the company. Dellow doubting their show of altruism is a comment on Bell, though, not on people with mental illness. I really hope he doesn’t lose his job for that; I can understand, however, if the Oilers decide to suspend him from social media, or some such thing.

59. MrEd says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Hockey trade. Contracts all but match and our side has the depth to cover. So does theirs.

60. rickithebear says:

Klefbom was one of the ten best tough comp def d in the game when injured.
    Who is signed for 4.167m for the next 7 years.
    Klefbom and Davidson.

The fix for our team is healthy klefbom and Davidson.

Hamonic for klefbom.

Bat shit crazy is being nice.

Anytime you think of this trade.
    Just play red from the 70 show line in your head.

61. Water Fire says:

You can tweet, shite, and be indiscreet about whatever you want, but you should not expect to do that and keep employment if it is in disagreement with who signs your cheques. That would not agree with the logic you use to dispute what you don’t agree with. Choose freedom and it’s consequences.

62. MrEd says:

When it comes to the LHD/RHD debate what it comes down to to me is when an offensive LW is coming down on the rush. A RHD is much more able to steer that player to the outside and match his forehand stick once his pivot is made. The gap is more controllable. it just is.

63. G Money says:

Interesting (?) chart of the day:

Holy crap the Oilers suck at first periods.

64. MrEd says:

rickithebear,

Nurse then? 🙂

65. smellyglove says:

Advanced stats alert: A (Belated) Birthday Tribute To Wayne Gretzky And His Ridiculous Stats

Receptor Antagonist:

CLEN, DUH!

Haha!! I texted her, and her reply, let me find it, was: ‘YOU literally wrote Mercedes instead of Medvedev but I didn’t mock you!” with roll eyes. 🙂

67. Receptor Antagonist says:

Lowetide: Haha!! I texted her, and her reply, let me find it, was: ‘YOU literally wrote Mercedes instead of Medvedev but I didn’t mock you!” with roll eyes.

Haha, love it!

68. Romulus Apotheosis says:

MrEd:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Hockey trade.Contracts all but match and our side has the depth to cover.So does theirs.

I disagree we’ve got the depth to cover Klef right now.

And, a straight swap leaves us largely stuck in neutral.

69. judgedrude says:

G Money,

Interesting that nobody around here has mentioned how the Oil are always flat to start games 😉

Maybe we should find a new coach who can motivate them and get them going early. That’s the problem!

70. MrEd says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Sek
    Reinhart
    Nurce
    Davidson

Osterle and Musil have to be close to ready to pitch in.
    A cheap UFA vet might be wise if we get Davidson on a two-way for a year or two.

71. Fog of Warts says:

Funny, I was just reading this article yesterday:

The Death of Robot Wisdom

It’s a given that if you say enough, you’ll say something to make people angry. The beginning of the long slide from glory for Robot Wisdom came just a couple months after Barger published the first blogging FAQ, in December of the same year, when he posted a passage from Israel Shahak to his blog. While Shahak is somewhat controversial, this probably would not have been a major issue, except Barger, stubbornly true to form, or perhaps true to stubborn form, insisted, from then on, posting statements in his site header such as “judaism is racism is incompatible with democracy” which alienated many readers. He soon shortened it to the banner text, “judaism is racism,” capitalization preserved as it was, by the way.

Twelve character hashtag vs. fifteen character site banner. Advantage, hashtag.

These days, Jorn might have just run with:

#✡?

so once you depreciate technology, I think it’s still advantage Jorn.

72. Romulus Apotheosis says:

MrEd:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Sek
    Reinhart
    Nurce
    Davidson

Osterle and Musil have to be close to ready to pitch in.

having a lot of LHD is not the same has having a player that can do what klef already can do on the left side.

73. Oilspill says:

Melman:
    G Money,

Which of the 3 would you not want playing for Vancouver or the Flames.

74. MrEd says:

Dumb question alert:
    Sekera goes from NMC to NTC after the 18-19 season. Does that mean we can send him to California if he were to clear waivers?

IMO Sekera has been pretty damn bang-on this year Btw.

75. MrEd says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Reinhart isn’t a match?

Klefbom is an awesome hockey player. Just sayin’ so that you know that I know.

76. Water Fire says:

Fog of Warts:
    Funny, I was just reading this article yesterday:

The Death of Robot Wisdom

Twelve character hashtag vs. fifteen character site banner.Advantage, hashtag.

These days, Jorn might have just run with:

#

so once you depreciate technology, I think it’s still advantage Jorn.

We all love your writing, but what does this mean? Forgive me for being dense.

77. Big Dan says:

Gryba and fayne are still here. So I am hoping this means a well deserved demotion for Chris Joseph’s Doppleganger Justin Schultz.

Clendening is a no lose acquisition, with potential upside. Glad to see chiarelli is alive.

78. Fog of Warts says:

The passage that most caught my eye on first reading was this one:

He blames everyone else for turning against him, the innocent victim. It can’t be said whether this true, but it’s easy to get a sense, from his writing, of how he found himself made the villain in it all. There is a sort of innocent lack of self-awareness in it all, especially considering he spent the better part of the 1970s working to become self-aware.

Emphasis mine. I’ve never understood this kneejerk irony reflex. The only inference one can draw from a decade of self-quarantine on the self-awareness funny farm is that Jorn perceived a need in himself, as anyone can attest who ever spent an entire decade shoveling salvation into a pit with a hole at the bottom.

I would have tried for something more like this:

“… which certainly raises the eyebrows considering he spent …”

I guess I spend a lot of time reading with raised eyebrows. Where eyebrows really lord it over irony, is that eyebrows are definitely the packed-to-capacity school bus, stretched and stretch again until its nose goes flat, containing not just irony, but Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Sad Sacks as well.

Seriously, ruined for life or merely an innocent lack of self-awareness?

79. G Money says:

JDï™,

Did I read the game sheet right? Not even a penalty on the play?

80. Ryan says:

Chiarelli using the waiver wire.⚠

He’s not ⚰ yet

81. Gret99zky says:

Can Chia re-negotiate Jultz’s contract with his agent or is it qualify at $4M or bust?

82. dustrock says:

If Twitter really is open and to be a free and frank exchange of ideas, then let it be that.

The Outrage Police were in full effect today and they seem to take some glee in pointing out mistakes or inappropriate things people have said or done, including breaking up relationships and people’s jobs.

Would be a travesty if Dellow somehow lost his job for this. The most revealing aspect of the Outrage Police is how intolerant they are.

83. Caramel Obvious says:

Quinlan:
    Re: Dellow

I couldn’t agree more. It’s hard not to be cynical about what Bell is doing. It makes me nauseous listening to people pat themselves on the back about how enlightened they are. But at least we all know that Bell is one of the good guys right?

Social media is the worst. Social media warriors are awful people. May they get what they deserve.

84. MrEd says:

Gret99zky,

What’s he worth if he can?

85. RexLibris says:

G Money:
    JDï™,

Did I read the game sheet right? Not even a penalty on the play?

If it were a player he’d get at least a game.

But an official! If he’s so dazed he can’t tell a stripes from a white Preds jersey then the man shouldn’t play again that night, let alone a week.

86. JDï™ says:

RexLibris: Concussion or not, I have to believe the league is going to come down hard there.

Which is too bad. Losing Wideman for a stretch will only help the Flames spits.

87. stevezie says:

Anyone who wants to see Bell as heroes is welcome to, and I should probably congratulate them as not being so cynical as to see it as an especially sneaky ad campaign.

Which is what I see it as.

But I’m glad we’re talking!

88. geowal says:

Gret99zky:

I believe he can be extended any time, at any price. However if it reaches the RFA deadline he has to be qualified at ~4mm. If Schiltz believes he’s due a pay cut, he can just sign it. Or negotiate a multi year which may have lower annual pay. That’s how I read it anyways.

89. stevezie says:

I think he’s done for the season.

This is unprecedented in the modern era, no? I don’t even know what to compare this to! It will take an amazing defence for him to get anything less than 30.

stevezie: I think he’s done for the season.

He needs to kill a goat and drink its blood on the way home. Seriously.

91. RexLibris says:

Eric Francis
    ‏@EricFrancis

I can confirm Wideman did apologize to linesman Don Henderson in the first TV timeout following his hit

So there’s that. But still. Pretty rough.

If this weren’t the NHL I’d almost guarantee he’d get five games minimum.

This being the NHL, and the Calgary Flames, there is a real chance they shake hands and the linesman drops the ceremonial puck at the next game.

He’s lucky it wasn’t Phaneuf who ran him over. He’d have had to apologize to the Leafs organization for getting in #3’s way. The Cheney effect all over again.

92. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: He needs to kill a goat and drink its blood on the way home. Seriously.

He’s a Flame.

They have goat’s blood in the water bottles.

Although they had to get a smaller nipple for the bottle for Gaudreau.

(Okay, I may get banned from FN for that one, but it was worth it)

93. RexLibris says:

MrEd:

My minimum is a 1 year ban.Not joking.

But he said he was sorry!

“Damned sarcasmotron’s busted again, keeps overheating. That’s it, I’m changing to synthetic!”

94. stevezie says:

RexLibris,

If he strikes an official with intent to injure, it’s minimum 20 games.

If they think there was no intent to injure, that this is in the same category as spitting, then it’s still a minimum 10 games.

He had his head up the whole way and clearly steps into the hit. Anyone arguing this is accidental is… accessing facts now available to me.

The only was out is if he can convince them he was concussed, which since he plays the rest of the game might be tough.

I recommend he kill a goat and drink it’s blood, in front of a lot of witnesses.

Am I wrong in saying this is without precedent? Am I wrong? He didn’t just shove a ref, he drilled him!

95. MrEd says:

Fuck that.
    The NHL refs are the best in the world. Full stop.
    Feel good about denigrating their performance fandom. It’s laughable.

Gone for the year Wideman. Minimum.

96. stevezie says:

MrEd,

I was saying he is done for the year, but after reading the minimum for trying to hurt a ref is only 20 games I’m less sure. That’s a pretty low minimum.

It’s so weird they might not know what to do with it. Like murder is a life sentence, but if wear your neighbours face on top of your other neighbours face on top of your face you’ve got a good shot an an insanity defence.

This is that. (But, y’know, meaningless hockey)

97. RexLibris says:

The really funny thing is, after watching Wideman for several years now, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him lay a hit that hard before.

98. RexLibris says:

I’m not saying Wideman shouldn’t be suspended for a long time. No argument here.

My cynicism lies in that he is a Flame, was recently concussed, apologized, and the league is just breaking up for the All Star break for which Ovechkin has announced he is no longer playing.

I don’t think they want to deal with this kind of crap right now and would be happy to look the other way, brushing it off with a nice photo op and talking about how important it is that they deal with concussions, etc.

I hope it doesn’t go that way because as I said above, if he did this to a player he should get 5 games minimum. It was non-hockey related, dangerous and had willful intent to injure. That he did it to an official is all the worse and if he got 20 games I wouldn’t bat an eyelash.

Also, some have suggested that losing him would tank the Flames, but Wideman is not having the best year and there have been real concerns about him this year and next due to his cap hit ($5 million) and full NMC.

If they lost him they’d likely call up Nakladal and could, conceivably, hold steady or even improve.

Personally, I want to see Wideman gone for 20 games, watch Treliving twist in the wind with the cap hit that accompanies it, and then see how the rest of the season rolls out.

99. MrEd says:

Too soon.

100. G Money says:

RexLibris,

Kassian, the Oiler, pushes a ref, gets three games.

Lucic punches a linesman.

Wideman out and out assaults one from behind.

Wouldn’t surprise me in the least if Kassian gets the worst of the three.

Hate to be that cynical about it, but Wideman didn’t even get a penalty, and played the rest of the game.

101. RexLibris says:

MrEd:

Too soon.

You’re right. Edited. Thanks.

I wish more in life had that feature.

102. Professor Q says:

~ So, I take it this Wideman thing was worse than the Kassian push? ~

103. JDï™ says:

RexLibris: Although they had to get a smaller nipple for the bottle for Gaudreau.

104. stevezie says:

If Wideman gets off on a concussion defence, OJ is really gonna kick himself for not waiting a few years.

I mean for the thing he got convicted for.

G Money,

Again, it’s a 20 game minimum for intent to injure. He either gets 20 or he gets nothing. It’s so weird he might get nothing. He shouldn’t have a hard time arguing his brain wasn’t working properly.

When did Lucic pop a Linesman?

105. RexLibris says:

G Money:
    RexLibris,

Kassian, the Oiler, pushes a ref, gets three games.

Lucic punches a linesman.

Wideman out and out assaults one from behind.

Wouldn’t surprise me in the least if Kassian gets the worst of the three.

Yeah, I try to give the benefit of the doubt, but the more I see the less I can offer.

From another cynical viewpoint, the league could look at it and say that the Flames aren’t in that tight a playoff race and this isn’t a player like Giordano who impacts the team to such an extent.

I suppose we wait and see. Usually I’d expect to hear something within a few hours. The longer it takes, the less harsh I expect the penalty to be.

106. JDï™ says:

Professor Q,

Scroll up for a link to it

107. RexLibris says:

JDï™: http://i.imgur.com/dAo1tLY.gifv

Put Gaudreau’s face on there and you may light up the internets for a day or two.

108. G Money says:

stevezie: When did Lucic pop a Linesman?

Tonight’s game in COL. Haven’t seen any video yet, just read about it. But it is, of course, declared ‘accidental’ in every reference I’ve seen.

109. RexLibris says:

G Money: Kassian, the Oiler, pushes a ref, gets three games.

Lucic punches a linesman.

Wideman out and out assaults one from behind.

Now, make Kassian a Panther, Lucic an Oiler and Wideman a Leaf and run your formula to see what happens?

🙂

110. RexLibris says:

G Money: Tonight’s game in COL.Haven’t seen any video yet, just read about it.But it is, of course, declared ‘accidental’ in every reference I’ve seen.

I saw it on my TL.

He pushes at the ref’s face, kind of a bop in the nose.

I don’t doubt it hurt, and it certainly is deserving of some time on the naughty stool, but it is closer to Kassian’s than anything and nowhere even bloody close to Wideman’s.

*Edit – watched it again, he goes to punch and Av player, his fist rolls off the face and hits the ref standing behind and beside the Av. Hard enough to hurt, but not enough to injure. Stupid and reckless, but he’s not aiming at the referee.

111. stevezie says:

RexLibris: The only unknown factor here is the Official’s union. They may want to see something done here.

I’m really wondering about that too.

112. stevezie says:

From puk daddy:

Rule 40 in the NHL rulebook, which addresses abuse of official and bolded areas that could apply to Wideman.

40.2 Automatic Suspension – Category I – Any player who deliberately strikes an official and causes injury or who deliberately applies physical force in any manner against an official with intent to injure, or who in any manner attempts to injure an official shall be automatically suspended for not less than twenty (20) games. (For the purpose of the rule, “intent to injure” shall mean any physical force which a player knew or should have known could reasonably be expected to cause injury.)
    40.3 Automatic Suspension – Category II – Any player who deliberately applies physical force to an official in any manner (excluding actions as set out in Category I), which physical force is applied without intent to injure, or who spits on an official, shall be automatically suspended for not less than ten (10) games.
    The final decision is up to Hockey Operations — not the Department of Player Safety headed by Stephane Quintal. That means the decision falls to Colin Campbell, the league’s Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations.

If Lucic can get them to believe it was an accident this doesn’t apply to him.

Wideman had his head up the whole way to the bench and explodes into the hit. Carcillo got ten games for way, way, way less than this. Wideman either gets nothing or he gets twenty. He was either concussed and not in his right mind or on the war path.

I bet the Officals’ Union will lobby that he gets more than zero.

What fun!!!

113. MrEd says:

RexLibris,

Hey- I have skin in the ref game. Good pick-up.

114. MrEd says:

stevezie,

Let’s go with the rules.
    Nice.

115. LadiesloveSmid says:

stevezie,

the fact that he played out the rest of the game bodes poorly for a ‘concussion’ excuse

116. stevezie says:

MrEd,

This incident is so incredibly bizarre I think he may have a shot with the “I was concussed” argument.

Then again, that didn’t save Chris Simon who at least attacked the guy who threw the dirty hit than concussed him. Hollweg messed with the bull and got the horns (and then some), Stripes was just standing there.

Simon claimed not to remember the incident. He was hit harder and dirtier than Wideman was. He got thirty games.

117. RexLibris says:

stevezie:
    From puk daddy:

If Lucic can get them to believe it was an accident this doesn’t apply to him.

I bet the Officals’ Union will lobby that he gets more than zero.

What fun!!!

Did you ever hear about how the NHA became the NHL?

I re-tell this story because, for me at least, it speaks volumes about how this organization began and often times you don’t drift too far from your roots.

The NHA was made up of six teams and one of those owners, Livingstone, was a bit of a snake, or at least a different kind of snake than his colleagues. He did some shady things that ticked off the other owners.

So they eventually met and voted to form a new hockey league, the National Hockey League. They then met as owners in the National Hockey Association and voted to disband, leaving Livingstone with a team and no league.

I love this game and I love the Oilers, but I have no illusions about the league’s priorities, that is, themselves.

118. RexLibris says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    stevezie,

Sadly, given what is coming out in the courts regarding how concussions are treated around sporting leagues in NA, it doesn’t necessarily preclude that he was concussed on that hit.

If this were to really get strange by let’s say Wideman not being suspended, someone could play this tape, ask why Wideman committed this act after a heavy hit where his head makes contact with the boards, and then continues to play the remainder of the game in the presence of several league-employed concussion spotters (rumoured to be in attendance at all games), then receives no supplementary punishment on the basis of the defense of having been concussed?

It is a moral conundrum. Which is it? Are you derelict in your duty of enforcing the rules that protect your on-ice officials as laid out in your own rulebook? Or, are you deliberately misleading us as to the extent of actionable practice in your own concussion protocols such that a player could take this kind of hit, commit a highly visible and extraordinarily uncharacteristic act seconds later, and continue to play?

I would very much like to see that question posed to Gary Bettman, Bill Daly and Donald Fehr.

119. stevezie says:

LadiesloveSmid,

agreed.

RexLibris,

Agreed, but from a self interest point of view they’ve got four elements in play: The Flames, Dennis Wideman, the Officials’ Union and the sanctity of their rules of law.

Wideman is clearly bottom man on this totem pole. Do the Flames have more juice than the Officials’ Union and the power of precedent? I doubt it.

Also I have heard that story and I love it. For once an owner gets what is coming to him!

120. stevezie says:

RexLibris,

Agreed, which is another argument in favour of the league throwing the book at him, no? If he was concussed their concussion protocols aren’t working. If he’s a maniac they are.

121. RexLibris says:

stevezie:
    LadiesloveSmid,

agreed.

RexLibris,

Honestly, the history of the NHA/NHL from pre-league days to about the 40s is just a delight to read.

Such a collection of misanthropes, ne’er-do-wells and starry-eyed adventurers.

122. Younger Oil says:

This is a dangerous precedent for the league to set if they don’t suspend Wideman for the minimum 20 games.

He obviously wasn’t right in the head at the time, but he stepped into it, followed through, and showed no immediate remorse. I don’t think there is any logical way to defend that as an accident.

If he immediately went to the dark room and missed the rest of the game, or stayed with the linesman after he went down then maybe, but no way after how the rest of the game played out.

I’m sure he regrets his decision, and it was just a flash of anger that was out of his control, but if something like that doesn’t get a lengthy suspension, then what will?

I agree, the Official’s Union will want blood, unless Wideman is the biggest gentleman on the ice at every single other moment in his career.

123. stevezie says:

Younger Oil,

I agree with all this.

Carry the torch, I’m going to bed.

124. Bruce McCurdy says:

G Money:
    Interesting (?) chart of the day:

Holy crap the Oilers suck at first periods.

Doesn’t exactly line up, does it?

125. Younger Oil says:

Article on FN about the hit:

Just an opinion piece, but shocked how many think that it will be just a fine, if that.

Thinks that there is “definitely” no intent to injure, and “hard to argue” that it was deliberate.

I know there is bias involved, but I don’t think there is any way I could defend Gryba or Fayne if they did that to an official.

126. G Money says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Half a season, Bruce.

Goal scoring can disconnect from shot metrics to a much greater extent and for longer than that.

You know this.

Goals in the first period represent 79 data points. In 50 games, that’s barely more than one and a half data points per first period per game.

You want to defend reading a trend from that?

Just FYI, the first period shot counts total 1408.

And that’s 5v5 – I assume the goal counts are as well? If not, there’s an even greater data volume disconnect between the two.

This is why we use shot metrics instead of goals in the first place. Wait another, oh, I dunno, 200 or 300 games? … and then you’ll have similar validity to the goal-based sample size.

127. MrEd says:

RexLibris,

I get it. Rules are rules unless unspeakable history has something to say about it.

128. TeeVee says:

stevezie: I think he’s done for the season.

Are you fucking kidding me Hrudey, you fucking tongue bath giver. Jebus.

129. Professor Q says:

RexLibris: I saw it on my TL.

He pushes at the ref’s face, kind of a bop in the nose.

130. G Money says:

Younger Oil,

Or you can be like Hrudey and claim that Wideman just didn’t see the official.

(That’s hearsay, I don’t know if he actually said that, it was a Twitter claim … but it does sound like something he’d say)

131. G Money says:

TeeVee: The most disgusting thing about this event is having to listen to Hrudey say that “He doesn’t even see the linesman”.

Are you fucking kidding me Hrudey, you fucking tongue bath giver. Jebus.

HA HAHAHA, I just read your post.

132. G Money says:

Just FYI, if they claim he was so concussed that he didn’t realize it was a linesman, the play by play file shows Wideman had multiple shots on net and at least one shot block after he was hit.

Severely concussed indeed.

133. TeeVee says:

G Money,

I stole “tongue bath” from Bruce. It’s a favourite of mine now.

134. Bruce McCurdy says:

G Money:
    Bruce McCurdy,

Half a season, Bruce.

You know this.

Goals in the first period represent 79 data points.In 50 games, that’s barely more than one per first period per game.

You want to defend reading a trend from that?

Just FYI, the shot counts total 1408.

And that’s 5v5 – I assume the goal counts are as well?

I’m not arguing with you, i’m merely pointing out the disconnect. Sheesh.

135. G Money says:

Bruce McCurdy: You realize that Oilers have outscored their opposition in first periods. 40 GF, 39 GA. Whereas in the second they are +31/-53 & in the third, +41/-52.

FYI, 5v5 goal scoring in the first period is 29 to 31. 48.3%.

136. G Money says:

Bruce McCurdy: I’m not arguing with you, i’m merely pointing out the disconnect.Sheesh.

For what purpose?

137. Bruce McCurdy says:

I predict Wideman will get the same suspension that the linesman who assassinated Yakupov got.

Where the fuck was the official’s union that time?

138. BONVIE says:

I’d day the Lucic one is totally unintentionally he was punching the Colorado player and caught the linesman with follow through. The Wideman check from behind was nasty, a 3-5 game if it was on a player but I say 20 on this poor linesman.

139. Younger Oil says:

G Money:

Severely concussed indeed.

He also said in his post game interview that his head is fine, and it was just his neck and shoulder that hurt.

Also, if Hrudey did say that, he is even more delusional than I thought. Wideman’s head was up pretty much the whole way. If he didn’t see him, and it was an accident, there would have been some immediate remorse, especially when you realize it was an official you hit, the official stays down, and you know the league doesn’t look kindly on the abuse of officials.

I don’t think it was an excessive hit, but he definitely followed through. It’s as if he said “Fuck it, I’m taking the shortest way to the bench no matter who is in my way”.

140. G Money says:

Bruce McCurdy,

At least the official has video evidence suggesting it was actually an accident . . .

141. JDï™ says:

G Money,

Whether he gets suspended or not, the important thing is that the Flames spits lost.

142. BONVIE says:

I kind of like this Clendening pick up, he is basically Vatanen for free. Now the Oilers can try using a small guy in the lineup for the last 30 games. He is like Osterle in the fact he plays a responsible defensive game, kind of blocks Osterle though.

143. G Money says:

JDï™,

Tru dat. Guess the ‘playoff push’ starts a little later.

144. Bruce McCurdy says:

G Money: For what purpose?

Just that a (more) casual observer would say the first period is Oilers’ best, not their worst. Interesting what happens when one digs deeper, it’s not always intuitive.

145. G Money says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Ah. In that case, my apologies for the misread. I consider you part of the hockey and fancystats ‘gurudom’, so I don’t attribute casual observer status to your posts.

146. Younger Oil says:

To me, some of the most damning evidence of the Wideman hit is that after leveling the linesman he doesn’t even look back. If he didn’t see the linesman and it was truly unintentional, he’d look back at what he unintentionally hit.

What’s the first thing you do when you trip on something you don’t expect? You look back and give that uneven ground the stink eye.

147. JDï™ says:

There is no way – no way, that Wideman doesn’t see the official. Maybe for a while, but he cuts an edge to miss him just before laying the crosscheck.

And if your shoulder/neck is so sore after getting hit in the corner, why lift your stick to deliver the crosscheck?

There is no way that Wideman doesn’t forfeit over $1M because of that hit.

148. G Money says:

There’s a headline in the Sun about Hrudey ‘remembering his friend David McQueen’. McQueen is the guy in the wheelchair who was shooting at a bus, and was eventually shot dead by police.

A friend of mine posted that McQueen had been on Facebook and suggested that his posts confirmed the news stories suggesting mental illness.

It was a bit skeezy, but I couldn’t resist the urge to look at some of the posts … and it’s true. It’s clear that McQueen was somebody who went through a great deal of pain and it affected him. Whether the illness drove his circumstances or the circumstances drove his illness, it’s clear that his life was filled with sadness and rage. The death of his only friend and companion, his dog Bear, seems to be what caused him to go over the edge.

It was quite tragic to read actually, and I didn’t / couldn’t spend long.

It’s an odd disconnect with the Hrudey story, where he talks about his ‘friend’ and how much he did for them.

149. JDï™ says:

G Money: One thing that did come up a few times is the anger that McQueen had for that ‘liar’ and ‘thief’ Hrudey.

On the FB posts?

150. Professor Q says:

JDï™:

There is no way that Wideman doesn’t forfeit over $1M because of that hit.

It could have been the shock of looking up and seeing something right there, and then reacting on instinct.

It’s like walking while looking at your feet, and then looking up and realising there’s a pole right in front of you, or another person walking, and reacting on instinct and adrenaline.

Although re-watching it, that oddly doesn’t seem to be the case. Something weird must have happened after the initial hit because I have no idea why Wideman would do that…

151. JDï™ says:

Professor Q,

Avoidance would be the instinct, which he had already executed.

The crosscheck avec follow through?

152. Gret99zky says:

#BellLetsTalk sets a record with
    125,915,295 tweets, shares, calls and texts. $6,295,764.75 raised for Canadian mental health initiatives.

Yeah, I’m thinking Dellow wants a do-over with that tweet.

153. stevezie says:

Professor Q: Wait, I thought Lucic Todd Bertuzzied a player and didn’t get in trouble for it (in fact the HNIC Panel lauded him for it)? I didn’t see a ref. Unless he did something similar soon after.
      (Quote)  (Reply)

To Bertuzzi a guy is to punch him in the back of the head and tackle him, landing on his head. Lucic punched a guy in the front. There was no tackle.

There was no “Bertuzzi”.

154. stevezie says:

Gret99zky:
    #BellLetsTalk sets a record with

Yeah, I’m thinking Dellow wants a do-over with that tweet.

I don’t. Another way to read that is Bell spent 6 mil on an incredibly successful advertising campaign.

I’m glad the money went to charity instead of an ad agency. I’m not saying crafting a successful advertising campaign makes Bell evil. But I have no problem with anyone being cynical about it.

155. stevezie says:

BONVIE:

Agree completely. One is obviously an accident and the other is obviously on purpose.

156. Pouzar says:

BONVIE: I kind of like this Clendening pick up, he is basically Vatanen for free.

If this turns out to be true you get free drinks for life!

157. Pouzar says:

Was at the Jets/Coyotes game on Tuesday and 3 things the numbers agreed with:

1. Brad Richardson is a very nice bottom 6 player. Nice signing there (3 yrs X 2 million) by the Coyotes.

2. Boyd Gordon doesn’t look good.

3. Duclair was the most dangerous offensive player for the Coyotes by far.

Oh…..and OEL is a stud. We should get that guy.

158. russ99 says:

rickithebear:
    Klefbom was one of the ten best tough comp def d in the game when injured.
    Who is signed for 4.167m for the next 7 years.Hamonic is not one of the 23 1st 2 nd and 3 rd comp d to get first pair def results.
    Klefbom and Davidson.

The fix for our team is healthy klefbom and Davidson.

Hamonic for klefbom.

Bat shit crazy is being nice.

Anytime you think of this trade.
    Just play red from the 70 show line in your head.

Not crazy for four reasons:

1. With the contract kicking in next year and large escalators every year, Klefbom is no longer a prospect,

2. Despite what the fancy stats say, he has deficiencies in his game; creating offense in the O-zone (Nurse is vastly better at this) and defensive zone play away from the wall, one on ones and clearing the crease. Also there’s a very good chance his good breakout and zone entry play are skewing his fancy stats higher than they should be, i.e. he’s better in the neutral zone than in the o or d zones.

3. He’s missed significant time every single year he’s been an Oiler.

4. With the new building opening and Katz needing playoff dates to clean up, the tenptation to flip Klefbom for a player who’s not only better now and further along in development but also is good at all the things Klefbom had issues with, is signed to a reasonable deal and wants to play in western Canada has got to be tempting.

A risky move, but one I’d make, since it’s going to be tough to get two top pairing guys here in one offseason.

159. kinger_OIL says:

– Re: Dellow. True story. In the 90’s, when my Grandfather was still alive (and he was a WW2 vet), we were watching the Grey Cup, and Bell had on at that time commercials commemorating D-Day, where kids would be at Normandie, then they would call home “just to say thanks”.

– He shut me up in a hurry: “There are millions of people who were involved in that war, and if you don’t like the commercial, just keep your opinion to yourself”

– Too bad Dellow didn’t have someone effected by mental illness to tell him to shut his trap

– I know what he meant, but his view is too nuanced and it’s only his opinion. Twitter is dumb, and for immediate happenings: its not a platform for in-depth social discourse: Lowetide is!

160. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

russ99,

I’m with Ricki… kinda.

Maybe Hamonic is better than Klefbom. I don’t believe our current means of analysis give us the tools to make that statement conclusively, but for the purpose of the argument I’ll let you have that.

So how much better? Because to me, at most, it’s a marginal difference. The difference isn’t enough to make this team better by any appreciable amount.

Bringing in new players involves a certain amount of risk, because it’s hard to say how they will fit into a system. We know Klefbom fits into the system. We suspect Hamonic will too, but we don’t know. Sometimes it just doesn’t work out (this year’s best example is Phil Kessel in Pittsburgh, who was waiting for years for an elite center before he started potting 70 goals/year).

Hamonic almost definitely makes this team better if Klefbom is still on the team.

Hamonic might make the team a little better if Klefbom isn’t on the team.

161. Магия 10 says:

I understand Wideman is opting for the Purple Haze defence. Truthers wanna know why LT suggested that before the hit

162. Pouzar says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    russ99,

I’m with Ricki…kinda.

Maybe Hamonic is better than Klefbom.I don’t believe our current means of analysis give us the tools to make that statement conclusively, but for the purpose of the argument I’ll let you have that.

So how much better?Because to me, at most, it’s a marginal difference.The difference isn’t enough to make this team better by any appreciable amount.

Bringing in new players involves a certain amount of risk, because it’s hard to say how they will fit into a system.We know Klefbom fits into the system.We suspect Hamonic will too, but we don’t know.Sometimes it just doesn’t work out (this year’s best example is Phil Kessel in Pittsburgh, who was waiting for years for an elite center before he started potting 70 goals/year).

Hamonic might make the team a little better if Klefbom isn’t on the team.

That’s why Hamonic for Klefbom doesn’t make sense, above and beyond all the discussion of who is actually better.At the end of the day it doesn’t really matter, we need both (and realistically more).

Nailed it.

Seems cut and dry to me.

163. stevezie says:

russ99,

Not to mentioned the handedness issue, which ain’t nothin’.

kinger_OIL,

I get that, which is why I haven’t really been beating the drum loudly, just popping up a little to defend someone who I think is getting railroaded by mob-mentality.

For whatever it’s worth, I’ve had someone in my life touched by mental illness and remain cynical about the tweets. I think Bell recognized the national discourse on mental illness was turning and there was an opportunity to brand it more than they “started” the conversation.

Don’t mind me, I just had too much Neil Young in my formative years.

164. stevezie says:

Ca$h-McMoney!: That’s why Hamonic for Klefbom doesn’t make sense, above and beyond all the discussion of who is actually better. At the end of the day it doesn’t really matter, we need both (and realistically more).

I completely agree we need both, but we also NEED a good RH Dman. If we swapped Klef for Hamonic we would have a lot more flexibility in pursuing UFA/trade targets to get the other top 3 defenceman we need.

Not saying it is a slam dunk or Plan A, but I think the handedness argument is a lot more than nothin’.

165. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

stevezie,

Agreed that handedness matters.

I just think that we have a bunch of options for fixing the problem, and I’d only pursue the Klefbom out for good RHD in option if about 15 other paths were off the table first.

Obviously the most ideal path is to acquire that quality RD for nothing, or to convince a UFA to accept a value contract… super unlikely stuff.

If it’s a trade, to me, it’s some combination of high end forward, lower end D, draft picks, prospects, that get shipped out.

We need to add to Klefbom and Sekera. Davidson appears to be in that group also, heck I’ve been one of his biggest supporters for a year or two now, but I’m still not thinking we should bet the farm on him. A wise man has been noted for talking about how D tends not to develop in a straight line, so it’s possible we see him take a step back here.

Our D next year needs to include Klefbom, Sekera, Davidson, Nurse, and ideally someone better than all of them, or at least at the Klef/Sekera level.

I like Hamonic best for that role not because I think his play is superior to the other options, but because he’s the right age, is right handed, and has a great contract. Those three things make him the ideal acquisition in my book.

166. RexLibris says:

Bruce McCurdy:

Where the fuck was the official’s union that time?

“A spokesman from the NHL Official’s Union was unavailable for comment at this time but did ensure us that they will have the sandbags ready for deployment should the need arise.”

167. theres oil in virginia says:

kinger_OIL: – I was very critical of those commercials, and told my Grandfather: “I can’t believe Bell is taking advantage of such a historical moment for Canadians, just to sell more phones”

You were right to say that, and your grandfather’s response is proof that Bell was taking advantage of people’s emotions.

168. Atc-Nate says:

Wideman gets nothing. Watched this on sports centre from 3 different angles this morning and if you watch the angle from the front you watch Wideman do this weird wiggle thing with his feet just before he throws his hands up. He (somehow) got surprised by the lineman.

Throw in the “no penalty” on the play, an apology, no history (afaik) and you have him getting off Scott free.

Just my $.02

169. frjohnk says:

Unless Klefbom is in a package that fetches a major up grade. ie elite number 1, trading him does not make sense.

When healthy, he is a top 4 D man and is arguably our best D man. And at 22, he will only get better.

I like Hamonic and would say that Hamonic is better, but the gap is not by much and I would say that Klefboms offensive ceiling is higher. Hamonic is in his prime, while Klefbom is not there yet. The contracts are comparable. Hamonic 3.8M till 2020. Klefbom 4.1M till 2021

One of the biggest reasons why we would want to get Hamonic is that we only have 2 top 4 D man. A Klefbom for Hamonic swap still leaves us with 2 top 4 D man.

170. kinger_OIL says:

theres oil in virginia,

By the way, I was just in Virginia two weeks ago: I should have looked you up!

– Whether corporations should wade into social or political issues is a fascinating topic. If Bell executives felt strongly about commemorating WW2 and recognizing Vets, and at the same time trying to sell more phones and strenghtening ties with their client base, or promote mental health, I don’t think you can be definitive.

– Corporations don’t live in a vacuum, and if they can both promote their products, and tout causes they believe in, why shouldn’t they use their influence?

– Too bad this will get lost as next post goes up!

171. raventalon40 says:

Seriously, people. Watch the tape. It’s obvious Wideman was clocked so hard he had no idea what he was doing. If linesman don’t get suspended for intentionally spraining Yakupov’s ankle then why should a semi-concussed Wideman get punished for running into the ref?

Though, this being the NHL, they will be more worried about the optics than the reality. If John Scott was any indication.

172. G Money says:

JDï™,

Yep. Lot of repetitive rants, and a LOT of repeated posts and pictures of his youth (unsurprisingly). In his rants, a handful of names were repeated, mostly family. The recognizable public names were Kent Hehr (negative), Fred Horne (negative), Hrudey, and surprisingly, a very positive view of Dr. Raj Sherman.

173. Магия 10 says:

kinger_OIL: I don’t think you can be definitive.

Then don’t. A Bell logo or plug on TV is passive compared to a viral campaign to get millions to type a hash tag with Bell’s name.

Personally I’d crawl over broken glass before I’d go anywhere near twitter with a valid but unpopular opinion. And if I did I’d express it a few days later. Not during the twitterthon.

174. Unwashed Oilfan says:

Mr DeBakey: Since when is terrorist oil [whatever that is] considered better than Alberta oil?

Obama would rather welcome Iranian and Syrian oil through tankers rather than accept Alberta oil.