ASKING ONLY WORKMAN’S WAGES

As I mentioned yesterday, I think we can see Peter Chiarelli’s Oilers from here. The forwards are mostly onsite, the only questions (for me) are which of them will he cash for his stud blue—or will he need to do it that way? Let’s revisit my roster from yesterday morning’s post:

• Hall—Draisaltl—Eberle
  • Pouliot—McDavid—Yakupov
  • Kassian—Nuge—Pakarinen
  • Korpikoski—Letestu—Hendricks
  • Klefbom—Sekera
  • Davidson—????
  • Nurse—????
  • Talbot plus Nilsson or Brossoit

A few comments came in yesterday about the Nuge not scoring 50 points if he is 3C, or keeping his value, and I wanted to speak to that item. First, Todd McLellan used his 3C in San Jose very effectively, moving Joe Pavelski up and down the lineup as needed. Second, we talk about these rosters as if they will remain the same all year, without injuries and slumps plus various maladies and stories. The Oilers have not been balanced in so long it might be difficult to imagine what it looks like, but the forward group is closer. If you could find a RW with offense for Nuge’s line—say Teddy Purcell—I think it would be absolutely reasonable to consider this a playoff forward roster.

The defense is not good enough, and of course we know it. A lot of comments yesterday about Reinhart not having value (I had suggested picks and prospects like Reinhart as being the currency to be used to the question mark right-handed defense) to satisfy a trade for a veteran upgrade.

I think the Oilers should consider Oscar Klefbom and Brandon Davidson as their vital LH D next season—assuming Sekera plays RH side—and do believe Nurse’s long term value is too strong to trade. The only way I can see all of these lefties making it? If Sekera and (say) Davidson play RH side, that seems a distant bell. Someone is going among this logjam of lefthanders, and I honestly don’t think they should deal Brandon Davidson.

Question: Are we confident enough in the PC/TMac combination to believe they will make the right call here?

I am not certain the gang will all come back, though. The Oilers are at 21 on their roster currently, and will add Connor McDavid and Brandon Davidson (probably today)—putting them at 23 and a full boat. However, Zack Kassian (likely) and Griffin Reinhart (maybe) are coming back, meaning the club would be at 25 and needing to reduce two players. I wrote yesterday about this subject at ON, listing these possibilities:

• Wait to activate McDavid.
  • Wait to activate Davidson.
  • Wait to recall Griffin Reinhart.
  • Send down Rob Klinkhammer.
  • Waive Luke Gazdic.
  • Trade Justin Schultz.

I did not include Darnell Nurse getting sent down, and Marna 10 mentioned that should be added as a reasonable option. I would like it to be a consideration—Nurse is struggling—but I have 10 years of history to back me up. Let me give you an example:

Smid was 20 years old and playing major minutes. I don’t have the possession numbers from that season, but in 2007-08 he was about where Nurse is now (45 percent). He played 77 games as a rookie, averaged 19:14 a night. If the Edmonton Oilers send Darnell Nurse down today, I promise to write a long and positive article about the changing of the guard in Edmonton, and Peter Chiarelli and Todd McLellan doing something we haven’t seen (not really) in a decade. I believe Nurse remains, perhaps playing fewer minutes a game (that is the play here).

sekera capture

DEFENSE EVALUATION

One area I have been concerned with PC-TMac is the defense. I wrote this a week ago:

• One of the things that has delayed progress this season (imo) is the new management group’s curious evaluation of the defense. Mark Fayne spent time in the minors, Nurse—Schultz was the top pairing last night—these are unforced errors and contribute to losing. Source

Problem one for this team on defense—and this goes back to Ralph Krueger—is Justin Schultz and his playing time. This year, in a campaign where most of us can agree he has been backed off from previous work loads—he averages 20:16 a night. Too much by plenty.

I understand there needed to be an evaluation period, and do think progress has been made (Sekera was a Chiarelli add, I am a big fan of the player) and some luck has landed here (Brandon Davidson was manna from heaven). If I am looking at an ideal 2016 in terms of procurement and offloading, it might look like this:

1. Trade Justin Schultz
  2. Audition Adam Clendening
  3. Trade for Travis Hamonic or similar
  4. Find a power-play solution (doesn’t have to be a defenseman)

I think that is a pretty good ‘to do’ list for the summer—if Edmonton brought in Travis Hamonic, kept Mark Fayne but also acquired Mike Hoffman for the power play, would you complain?—and hell maybe Clendening is the solution, given time and opportunity.

Have you noticed who is taking PP shots? Here are the top five Oilers:

1. Taylor Hall 30
  2. Andrej Sekera 24
  3. Benoit Pouliot 19
  4. Teddy Purcell 18
  5. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 16

Hall is No. 4 in overall shots (190) so probably leads (or is close) to leading in EV shots this season. Alex Ovechkin has 234 shots total, but NINETY on the power play!

• Hall—Draisaltl—Eberle
  • Pouliot—McDavid—Yakupov
  • Hoffman—Nuge—Kassian
  • Korpikoski—Letestu—Hendricks
  • Klefbom—Sekera
  • Davidson—Hamonic
  • Nurse/Reinhart—Fayne/Gryba
  • Talbot plus Nilsson or Brossoit

I think the Hoffmans and the Hamonics can be acquired without dealing Jordan Eberle or Nail Yakupov. What would it take? Some of those lefty blue and the first-round pick from 2016. I understand the idea of having a fabulous Finn to score goals alongside McDavid, but the idea of starting 2016-17 with a more veteran group has great appeal to me. Dealing draft picks and 22-year-olds for guys who are 26 and established? That is the play here, unless you plan to rebuild forever. I think we will see Chiarelli add some offense this summer and a really good defenseman like Hamonic.

If he deals from strength? The Oilers are drunk with high draft picks and they have stacks of left-handed youth on the blue line. I think we should look there for assets out.

usual2

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

We start the week with a great show, 10 this morning on TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Scott Burnside, ESPN. All-Star game, and now the trades begin to flow! Right?
  • Rob Soria, Vavel USA. A crazy weekend at the Australian Open, plus fixing the Oilers.
  • Sunil Agnihotri, Copper & Blue plus The SuperFAN. Oilers in the second half, what to do with Clendening, McDavid’s final 32 games.
  • Andrew Bucholtz, 55-Yard Line. CFL free agency just around the corner.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter.

Final note: I have included Mike Hoffman and Travis Hamonic as trade options in this post. Last week, I did a similar thing and we spent several hours discussing whether it was actually a trade rumor. Please understand, the nature of this blog is not to break news, so if I do not provide a link you can be certain it is speculation. Thanks for reading, enjoy your day!

176 Responses to "ASKING ONLY WORKMAN’S WAGES"

1. jonrmcleod says:

LT, I see you haven’t included Lander in your future lineup. I wrote a little something on the merits of hanging onto Lander:

2. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

The Hamonic discussion here and elsewhere has been one of the most fascinating topics of the season for me. A few thoughts:

1. I see comments suggesting things like “Fayne and a 2nd” in the off season because he wants out, which drives down value. I agree it drives down value, but I also don’t see any way that a Winnipeg, Calgary, Minny, etc. can’t beat that price. It’s not like Edmonton is his only option.

2. I don’t think anyone should be able to comment on Hamonic without acknowledging his contract. I get that he’s not a 1D with a bullet, but he’s also getting paid like a 4D and he’s a lot better than that. To me, he’s a very good dman with one of the best contracts in the league (Josi is better). Hamonic at 3.85 for years and years is a sweet deal, it frees up a lot of cash to fill other holes (potentially holes created by trading for him). That can’t be ignored.

Basically if we trade for Hamonic we still have the ability to go out and sign a $6m Dman in the offseason if we so choose, while keeping our D payroll where it needs to be. Doesn’t mean Hamonic wouldn’t be on the top pair, but from a budget standpoint he’d probably be #4.

3. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

jonrmcleod,

Saw it, loved it, retweeted it. THE WORLD (60 or so people that follow me) NEEDS TO KNOW

4. visiondude says:

jonrmcleod,

Great article! Wonder how Lander is able to draw so many penalties…wonder if it’s possible to break down who he’s drawn penalties against…is it 1st line guys when they are on the road who relax against the 4th liners….or against 4th liners who can’t keep up with Lander…

5. OilClog says:

I love me some Nuge

Nuge on the 3rd.. When he has the numbers with 4/29 that he does…

Wtf.

Load up the top two lines to actually dominate, if they have two lines of pure domination, that bottom 6 is going to look a lot better as time goes on.

Take your best two way player and drop him down to bottom 6 minutes, makes sense.

If you’re going to run Nuge as a 6million 3C just trade the man and make the fucking madness end.

6. russ99 says:

I still think the bottom six needs a slight rework.

If we keep Nuge, we’re set at C with Nuge and Letestu, who’s done much better the last month.

As for wingers, Hendricks and Kassian (if we keep them) are good.

Still need two 2-way wingers, IMO, and all the better if they can help on the other lines in case of injury.

Korpikoski is signed for next year, but we’re not seeing enough on either end of the ice, and Chiarelli may have either gotten railroaded by Gordon demanding to go to Phoenix, and/or gotten iffy scouting for that one.

7. Pouzar says:

OilClog: Load up the top two lines to actually dominate

This is what I want too but I think we are in the minority here.

4-93-29
    67-97-14

8. jonrmcleod says:

Pouzar,

This would also be my first option.

9. Bruce McCurdy says:

jonrmcleod:

That’s a solid post, Jon. Agreed on all points.

10. Bruce McCurdy says:

Pouzar: This is what I want too but I think we are in the minority here.

4-93-29
    67-97-14

Then after McDavid gets up to full speed in 10 games they could run:

67-97-14
    4-93-29

…if you follow my logic.

11. fifthcartel says:

So they recalled McDavid, Kassian, and Reinhart. That’s too many players right?

12. Snowman says:

Having the Nuge and 3 good wingers for pairs give you options for matchups.

You can load two lines for domination in some games and against other teams you can run three effective lines and hopefully overwhelm peoples 3rd lines and 2nd/3rd pairs.

Depending on the game/game state/opponent you can load up or spread out offense.

Options…I think its probably good to have them.

fifthcartel:
    So they recalled McDavid, Kassian, and Reinhart. That’s too many players right?

Preparing my Nurse post!!!!

14. jonrmcleod says:

fifthcartel,

Has this been officially announced?

15. Snowman says:

16. fifthcartel says:

jonrmcleod,

Kind of. It’s on the AHL transactions page.

17. LoDog says:

Nuge or Drai on the wing please.

IMO adding someone like Hamonic isn’t enough. Oilers need two top 4 RHD.

To afford those d at least one 6 million dollar man must go.

18. frjohnk says:

Pittsburgh is noted for having 3 centers in 09.
    But Malkin played a lot of wing that year. 40% of the time 5 on 5 he played with either Crosby or Staal

I can not find any stats showing PP time together, but I bet looking at all situations for Malkins minutes, over 50% he either played with Crosby or Staal. Malkin and Crosby have played PP1 for almost the last decade.

We can run
    McDavid
    Drai
    RNH

as our 3 top centers

but all 3 wont play center all game.

Penalties, power plays, matchups, loading up lines will change line combinations.

RNH could be the 3rd line center, but will also be on the PP, PK ( with Kevlar gloves) and could be on the 1st line or 2nd line late in a period or game. RNH or even Drai could be the player who plays 50% center and 50% wing during the season.

19. Snowman says:

LoDog,

Not necessarily. Nikitin, Ference (possibly), and a pay cut for Pucell clear up a lot of capspace for another D.

20. Pouzar says:

Bruce McCurdy: Then after McDavid gets up to full speed in 10 games they could run:

67-97-14
    4-93-29

…if you follow my logic.

I do….very sneaky!

Lowetide: Preparing my Nurse post!!!!

As of 9:23 the Oiler’s roster on their website shows 28 players including Kassian, Reinhart and McDavid.

McDavid, Nuge, Davidson, Ference and Klef show being on LTIR so that’s 23.

To activate any of the the LTIR boys requires movement off the active roster.

My guess is that any trade happens today and anyone being sent down happens tomorrow.

Tick…….tick……..tick……..tick…….tick…….

My guess is that Klinkhammer and Nurse go to the AHL.

22. frjohnk says:

One of the line up combinations not talked about but I believe that we are going to see is Hall with Mcdavid. They only played 22 minutes of 5 on 5 with so so results at the beginning of the year but I bet they get another go.

Maybe not right away, but Id run Hall-McDavid-Eberle at some point in Feb. Give McDavid our best scoring wingers and see what happens.

Id also like to see how Draisaitl does away from Hall. Pouliot- Draisaitl-Yak

Woodguy:

Tick…….tick……..tick……..tick…….tick…….

My guess is that Klinkhammer and Nurse go to the AHL.

THAT would be a great move.

24. JDï™ says:

Pouzar,

BTW: Happy February!

25. Tarkus says:

Infinite Jest is outstanding. Lands squarely on my desert-island reading list (along with Catch-22, Gravity’s Rainbow, Atlas Shrugged, etc.). David Foster Wallace–rest his troubled soul–was an incredible writer.

For those who haven’t read Infinite Jest yet but want to, I suggest using two bookmarks: one for the story itself, and one for the endnotes. Acres and acres of endnotes. But highly entertaining endnotes.

26. digger50 says:

Penciling in the Nuge as #3C is just an exercise to capture top 9 players. This team will be built with top 9 players and wagon line. To me, I still see Nuge is still a critical asset, and moreso come the eventual playoff run.

Too many line combos to even forecast, but the point being if you have 9 excellent forwards you’re golden. Fourth line will look after itself.

Also, in my opinion, those 9 excellent forwards still need balance. I have mentioned this before, but as they sit today they have the pretty goals covered and if we were playing three on three we could be done. But we are not, we are in a rink where room and time are diminished, leaving us with a greater need for tough, hard, gritty goal scorers as well. So IF there are moves afoot, I would like to see that player type back in return.

27. Dr. Taboggan says:

For what it is worth I was reading about Hamonic on Lighthousehockey (Islanders blog) and most commenters thought Hamonic would not be enough to get Eberle.

28. Pouzar says:

JDï™:

frjohnk

*gulp gulp gulp gulp gulp gulp gulp gulp gulp gulp gulp gulp gulp *

29. Eh Team says:

Woodguy: My guess is that Klinkhammer and Nurse go to the AHL.

Gazdic is an easy cut also. He’s played 3 minutes in the last 10 games. I’m be surprised if he isn’t waived shortly.

30. Pouzar says:

Dr. Taboggan:

Interesting. Maybe Chia is the one playing hardball. *shrug*

31. Dr. Taboggan says:

Pouzar,

It is possible. I think Eberle has a lot of value, maybe as much as RNH. It is difficult to find elite finishers.

32. Jaxon says:

I don’t like trading that pick if they might end up bottom 5 in the league. It’s just too valuable from a talent point of view and too valuable from a value entry level contract point of view. You want to ensure you can afford McDavid and maybe afford to offload a veteran top 6 forward to get that top pair D then you need to have that elite talent ELC. And if you get that elite winger with a top 6 pick then there is no reason to not go full unicorn and that will be near impossible for teams to line match.

LW / C / RW
    Hall / Draisaitl / Yakupov
    Pouliot / McDavid / Eberle
    Slepyshev / Nugent-Hopkins / Matthew, Laine, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, McLeod
    Pakarinen / Lander / Kassian

This actually affordable for quite a few years due to ELC’s. Once those contracts are up they’d have some amazing assets in RFA years to trade away in hockey trades. That saves a ton of money on the 4th line, which could be traded away for top 4 RHD help. Hendricks, Letestu and Korpikoski make 6.15M in cap. Way too much if you’re just going to play them 6 minutes or less a night and 18+ minutes for each top 9 forward.

LD / RD
    Klefbom / ? Paliotta
    Sekera, Paigin / ? Bowey
    Nurse / ?

Paigin – his top end value could be too high to risk losing and his contract value will be amazing for 3 years if he comes in 2019-2020, 2020-2021, 2021-2022. To have Paigin’s ELC end in 22 is very enticing if he continues to impress/progress. He could possibly join the Oilers just as Sekera’s modified NMC kicks in and he can list 15 teams he’d be willing to get traded to.

I think LaLeggia, Musil, Simpson, Oesterle and Davidson, although on value contracts, could be used in trades. I think Purcell, Hendricks, Korpikoski, Letestu, Fayne, Schultz, Gryba could all be used in deadline deals. Davidson has value in a trade or in the lineup, but there is such a log jam and his high end is not as high and the fact he is an NHL regular has value on the trade market. LaLeggia has value in some GM’s may want to take chance that he brings his NHL equivalency of 37 points from last season to quarterback someone’s poweplay. I doubt he’ll ever be a minute muncher though.

I like the idea of going after a few RHD with high potential in hopes that one or two pan out. I would drop some prospects, vets and 2nd round picks and their 1st round pick next year on players like Madison Bowey, Michael Paliotta, Brandon Montour, Mark Pysyk, Alex Petrovic and maybe Dalton Thrower. I’m not sure Pysyk or Petrovic can be had unless a young NHL regular is going back the other way (Davidson, Schultz?). There are a few wingers I would consider going after too (Riley Barber, Justin Bailey, Nicholas Baptiste, Kerby Rychel) but that is not an urgent matter.

33. who says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

Excellent points and I agree with every one of them. The article suggests we can get 2 players like Hamonic and Hoffman for our first round pick, one of our left dman (not sure which one), and spare parts. I think that is a stretch and I disagree with trading the pick or a dman. The pick will be a cheap replacement for one of our skill forwards when the salaries start to climb, trading a dman for a dman is a sideways move, even if it is lefty for righty, as we need to ADD a dman to compete next year. Would not consider holding on to the pick as continual rebuilding, just good asset and cap management. Which dman should we trade. I believe Sekera has a no move clause, Klefbom will probably be our #1 next year and has the best contract on the team, Davidson is dirt cheap and already in our top four, everyone seems to agree that Nurse has too much potential to trade and Reinhart is still a prospect with limited trade value. I see 4 of these guys on the team next year with Nurse or Reinhart starting in the minors for depth. The key is to add one top 4 guy who can play the right side, and the trade chip I would use is Eberle. Probably a good chance that Fayne is back next year to round out the nhl 6. Tough contract to trade.

34. SudburyOil says:

Bohologo,

I love that Decemberists’ song, although for the longest time I misheard that line as “You and me and the war of the enzymes…”

Infinite Jest is on the To Read list and will get to it some day.

I’ve always liked Franzen’s New Yorker piece on DFW for its honesty, even if Franzen’s jealous rivalry w DFW peeks through at times: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2011/04/18/farther-away-jonathan-franzen

For selfish reasons, I hope Nurse isn’t sent down yet as I’m making the McDavid Pilgrimage to Ottawa on Thursday. Would be nice to see Nurse play in person even as-is.

35. PhrankLee says:

67-97-14
    4-93-29

…if you follow my logic.

I love Leon on the wing for a couple years.

If only Anton was scoring a tad better than a 4 point season.

I don’t care who his line mates were/are anymore.

I do like the pricetag if he was a 15 point (at least, c’mon!) man.

36. G Money says:

*** FANCYSTATS WARNING ***

With the change in format in NHL.com, I see a lot of angst on Twitter about the distinct possibility that data scrapers may break.

If so, most fancystats site updates will probably go off line for a while.

I can see from Twitter that a lot of the other folks with scrapers are in the same boat as I am – the code was painful to write because it required laboriously deconstructing the HTML and JSON generated by the league for their info tables, and no one is looking forward to having to go through that process again to update their code.

I’m digging into the situation right now while I’m on a conference call. I know for sure that the schedule reading code that runs my player dashboard is already going to break. Hopefully the rest of the stats are still in the same format, because otherwise it’s going to be statsmageddon.

37. frjohnk says:

G Money:
    *** FANCYSTATS WARNING ***

If so, most fancystats site updates will probably go off line for a while.

I’m digging into the situation right now while I’m on a conference call.I know for sure that the schedule reading code that runs my player dashboard is already going to break. Hopefully the rest of the stats are still in the same format, because otherwise it’s going to be statsmageddon.

Maybe you should just watch the games nerd 🙂

38. Rocknrolla says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    The Hamonic discussion here and elsewhere has been one of the most fascinating topics of the season for me.A few thoughts:

1. I see comments suggesting things like “Fayne and a 2nd” in the off season because he wants out, which drives down value.I agree it drives down value, but I also don’t see any way that a Winnipeg, Calgary, Minny, etc. can’t beat that price.It’s not like Edmonton is his only option.

2. I don’t think anyone should be able to comment on Hamonic without acknowledging his contract.I get that he’s not a 1D with a bullet, but he’s also getting paid like a 4D and he’s a lot better than that. To me, he’s a very good dman with one of the best contracts in the league (Josi is better).Hamonic at 3.85 for years and years is a sweet deal, it frees up a lot of cash to fill other holes (potentially holes created by trading for him).That can’t be ignored.

Basically if we trade for Hamonic we still have the ability to go out and sign a $6m Dman in the offseason if we so choose, while keeping our D payroll where it needs to be.Doesn’t mean Hamonic wouldn’t be on the top pair, but from a budget standpoint he’d probably be #4.

This all day. We can get Hamonic and a #1 with his salary. With Klef and Ham at 4M. You can afford a Buff or #1 D at 6-8M instead of 2 second tier guys.

39. GCW_69 says:

Eh Team: Gazdic is an easy cut also.He’s played 3 minutes in the last 10 games.I’m be surprised if he isn’t waived shortly.

After Scott’s offensive explosion yesterday I expect to see Gazdic lining up with McDavid. It’s a copycat league.

40. vinotintazo says:

PhrankLee: If only Anton was scoring a tad better than a 4 point season.***

*** Projected.

FTFY

41. PhrankLee says:

Just a come-on from the whores on Seventh Avenue.

42. Yeti says:

Snowman: Oh god… if they’re planning to run Clendenning and Schultz for the next 30 games I’m going to need to buy more booze.

Some good scotch would be advisable and a fair investment. One shot per Jultzing is the recommended dosage.

43. PhrankLee says:

vinotintazo: FTFY

I see. And you expect him to turn it all around from the 4th line playing 8 min/game?

I have been one of his staunchest supporters but enough is enough, in my opinion.

44. GCW_69 says:

LTs line up works cap wise until McDavid, Yak, and Nurse need to be paid. Then the team goes into cap hell maybe to the tune of being $10M over. That’s a tough decision. Do you go all in for the next two years and then pull a Bowman special, or do you hedge going for cap balance now?

45. vinotintazo says:

PhrankLee,

At this point I have no expectations for Lander. if you believe he’s an ok 4rth line Center with PK (like I do), there is no problem.

that’s all you can ask from a 10 min/game guy.

46. dustrock says:

Was Davidson activated?

Marcus Kruger has one point. Q.E.D.

48. PhrankLee says:

vinotintazo:
    PhrankLee,

that’s all you can ask from a 10 min/game guy.

4 points a season!? Not on my team. 4C is still a C.

I had him penciled in 3C plus PK and 2nd PP.

He actually had those opportunities this year and, as OP LT says, couldn’t piss a drop.

The tired old cliche is when there are injuries someone has to “step up and make the most of the opportunity”

We have injuries at 1 and 2 C…

Lander was not called on because coach would rather play Pouliot or Hendricks…

Because he just cannot score at the NHL level. Not the first guy to wipe the floor in the AHL and fire blanks in the bigs… Justin Schultz, anyone?

49. Pouzar says:

Sidebar: What is the Jersey wearing etiquette for former Oilers? Do they need to be retired first? Am I ok rockin the 83 Hemmer?

50. frjohnk says:

PhrankLee: 4 points a season!? Not on my team. 4C is still a C.

I had him penciled in 3C plus PK and 2nd PP.

We have injuries at 1 and 2 C…

Lander was not called on because coach would rather play Pouliot or Hendricks…

Under $1M, can PK and good on faceoffs.

And it’s not like he has not had chances to score.

He has value

51. LostBoy says:

I don’t think Hamonic by himself is enough. They need a true offensive defenseman, whether it’s the kind Justin Schultz was supposed to be (say, 3rd pairing RH offensive and PP specialist), or a stud all-rounder. No cup team since the 2004-2005 lockout has been without at least one major producer, and several have had two (top regular season listed along with playoff points; in a few cases another D-man was higher in the playoffs):

2015 – Keith 45/21
    2014 – Doughty 37/18
    2013 – (48 games) Keith 27/13
    2012 – Doughty 36/16
    2011 – Chara 44/9
    2010 – Keith 69/17
    2009 – Letang 33/13
    2008 – Lidstrom 70/13
    2007 – Niedermayer 69/11 (also had Pronger, 59/15)
    2006 – F. Kaberle 44/13

The lower numbers are either the offensively impoverished Kings or a young and rising Letang. In both cases, they still represent elite offensive D.

Aside from the lottery ticket hope of Clendening morphing into the 3rd pairing/PP type, I don’t really see the answer in the above plan. Hamonic, Sekera, are all-rounder guys who sort of settle out at 25 points, maybe a shade more (though each has had bigger seasons). Klefbom, we’ll see, but realistically the same, more would be a great bonus.

I don’t think this can get done by committee. There’s very little modern history to suggest it can.

52. LMHF#1 says:

Tarkus:
    Infinite Jest is outstanding.Lands squarely on my desert-island reading list (along with Catch-22, Gravity’s Rainbow, Atlas Shrugged, etc.).David Foster Wallace–rest his troubled soul–was an incredible writer.

For those who haven’t read Infinite Jest yet but want to, I suggest using two bookmarks: one for the story itself, and one for the endnotes.Acres and acres of endnotes.But highly entertaining endnotes.

I’d go in the complete opposite direction of what Boho said. Both Fountainhead and Shrugged are fantastic, though I greatly prefer listening to these sorts of books rather than reading them. Lets me absorb while travelling or what have you.

53. dustrock says:

Pouzar:

All good round these parts.

54. Магия 10 says:

Lowetide: Preparing my Nurse post!!!!

I understand that McDavid has had lots of free time and is ready to sing the national anthem in French, carve an ice sculpture of Stanley at centre ice, save a fan with a defibrillator and ghost write your post praising Oilers brass for throwing a rope to a drowning D.

55. PhrankLee says:

frjohnk: Under $1M, can PK and good on faceoffs.
    And it’s not like he has not had chances to score.
    He has value

Padre, I agree. But we have 49 on the 50 man at the moment. He becomes very forgettable very quickly when one considers the role of any C in the NHL. Including 4C.

But the real winds of change that blow are telling me that coach does not like or trust him.

What’s valuable about that? Coach will send Korpsicle out there before Lander.

I’d rather see Lander get a chance somewhere else that would benefit them. Like in Detroit or Toronto.

I’m at the end of my limit with him and it’s been draft+5 I think. Cult hero or not he must make way.

He has had an awful year. His 2 way play is not what it was either. Last year we could say that he was at least not getting his head caved in every shift. It’s terrible what has become of my wily, cagey 3C. He would have been perfect.

McDavid sunk him the moment Bob turned the gold card around.

Oilers need to aim higher now. Right now.

56. kinger_OIL says:

– Just throwing a name out there: you could get for a few years, RD, UFA, plays 20 mins/gm on the Leafs: Roman Polak. Not a game changer, but solid.

57. Snowman says:

The 49 contracts on the 50 man is interesting.

You gotta think Chia would like to get that down. I suppose that happens at the deadline when a couple people are moved out.

58. vinotintazo says:

kinger_OIL,

sounds like another mark Fayne.

59. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

kinger_OIL:
    – Just throwing a name out there: you could get for a few years, RD, UFA, plays 20 mins/gm on the Leafs: Roman Polak.Not a game changer, but solid.

He could replace Schultz, as they are producing at functionally the same rate.

Of course Polak doesn’t play with Hall etc. or get much PP time so he is probably out producing Schultz from that perspective.

60. kinger_OIL says:

vinotintazo,

– Yeah we don’t have many of those: under 30, 5+ years as a top-4. Except we don’t like Fayne

61. LoDog says:

PhrankLee,

Time to move on from Lander, always wanted him to be that great 3C but not even cutting it at 4.

I don’t see how a 4C with 0 G 2 A playing on the second PK unit has any value. Could maybe trade him for a project but Europe likely calling for him soon.

Is there a team in the league with a worse 4C?

62. jonrmcleod says:

LoDog,

Have you compared Lander’s stats to other fourth line centers around the league?

63. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

LoDog,

Production wise, Chicago. Krueger.

Same player type, age range, nationality, skill set. They seem quite pleased with the guy and acknowledge he helps them win.

64. Магия 10 says:

Not exactly Pulitzer material:

But yeah OEL should been there. instead of *spit* ….

65. delooper says:

GCW_69: After Scott’s offensive explosion yesterday I expect to see Gazdic lining up with McDavid.It’s a copycat league.

Oilers trade Schultz for Scott.

66. Centre of attention says:

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug · 3m3 minutes ago
    Can confirm McDavid will play Tuesday night.

67. alice13 says:

For the music section, here are Lennon and Maisy with the Canadian National Anthem from the All-Star game yesterday:

If you missed it, do check it out – It was a sublime performance. First they slowed it down, which is almost Always a bad thing to do. Then the harmonies give it a slighly minor flavor, and the rhythm just seems little 2/4-ish. Then they sing it so quietly that you lean forward in your chair to hear it.

Glory.

68. Caramel Obvious says:

kinger_OIL:
    vinotintazo,

– Yeah we don’t have many of those: under 30, 5+ years as a top-4.Except we don’t like Fayne

On what planet is Roman Polak a top four defenseman?

69. LoDog says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

Krueger appears to be playing the first PK and while he has 1 lousy point this season he has a bit more of an established track record than Lander.

Lander: Half an NHL season where he got a PP push. 4 of his 6 goals were on the PP. He played 78 minutes on the PP in his 38 games. He has 48 minutes of PP time this year.

Krueger: 4 seasons averaging about 8 goals and 25 points He does not ever get PP time. 2 minutes so far this year and 2 minutes in 81 games last year. He is also their #1 PK guy.

So yes, I would take Krueger as the Oilers 4C all day over Lander. 🙂

70. PhrankLee says:

alice13:

If you missed it, do check it out – It was a sublime performance. First they slowed it down, which is almost Always a bad thing to do. Then the harmonies just give it a slighly minor flavor, and the rhythm just seems little 2/4-ish. Then they sing it so quietly that you lean forward in your chair to hear it.

Glory.

I love those Everly Brothers harmonies!

71. RexLibris says:

I hope he pots four or five points against the Blue Jackets and Yakupov nets two goals. This town needs some good hockey news.

72. kinger_OIL says:

Caramel Obvious,

– He isn’t sexy, but he’s the top 60 D in league in points/60, he’s playing less under Babcock, but he was top-4 with Carlyle. He’s a RD. He’s biggish, he hits. Just a name to through out.

kinger_OIL:

Solid like a giant anchor or large chunk of concrete.

He can’t skate at the NHL level anymore.

74. Czar says:

Did You Know? Only 3 players have more post All-Star/Olympic break points over the previous 2 seasons than #Oilers Jordan Eberle.
    Retweeted by Edmonton Oilers

75. Halfwise says:

PhrankLee: I love those Everly Brothers harmonies!

Your description is bang on.

That duo nailed it.

76. JDï™ says:

Pouzar:

If you’re wearing it to rexall, you have to arrive late and leave early.

77. frjohnk says:

Czar:
    Retweeted by Edmonton Oilers

Yeah, well there are a lot of soft and rotten players out there.

78. Pouzar says:

JDï™: If you’re wearing it to rexall, you have to arrive late and leave early.

Nope. I’ll be wearing the earpiece behind the Oiler bench at MTS

79. rickithebear says:

Rocknrolla:
    Ca$h-McMoney!,

This all day. We can get Hamonic and a #1 with his salary.With Klef and Ham at 4M. You can afford a Buff or #1 D at 6-8M instead of 2 second tier guys.

WPG: D comp

not defending better than:

Klefbom
    Reinhart
    Sekera
    Fayne
    Davidson

Buf looks tough but is your standard pussy when defending the box!
    Just no stones were it matters!

80. remlap says:

rickithebear,

TIL that Reinhart > Buff

81. Czar says:

frjohnk,

And most of them play for the Oilers.

Or, he scores all his points when the games don’t matter.

82. Lackadaisical says:

“Morning” musing: From a gm point of view – Would not another advantage of unicorns be to pump the value of 2-3 players, guys you can possibly trade for cheaper contracts when the McDavid elc squeeze hits us?

3 lines at ~18 min effectively showcases 3 more players at second line minutes. Thoughts?

83. Caramel Obvious says:

kinger_OIL:
    Caramel Obvious,

– He isn’t sexy, but he’s the top 60 D in league in points/60, he’s playing less under Babcock, but he was top-4 with Carlyle.He’s a RD.He’s biggish, he hits.Just a name to through out.

I’m confused by this statement. Polak is 29 years old with a track record.

That track record includes getting 10-15 pts per season and always, every year of his career, a negative on team relative shot metrics.

Polak is a lot closer to a marginal NHL player on the way out than he is a top-4 D.

84. frjohnk says:

Czar:
    frjohnk,

And most of them play for the Oilers.

Or, he scores all his points when the games don’t matter.

Yup, pretty sure the oilers rotten core are the only ones who score when games are out of reach.

When the games are not soft, they have no skill.

85. rickithebear says:

remlap:
    rickithebear,

TIL that Reinhart > Buff

I did not say that.
    Reinhart is getting better def results against tougher comp.

But clearly in your mind that is the conclusion YOU came up with!

Defence wins champinships!

Reinhart .008 #52 Comp 10.56 HSCA/60
    Bufygulien -.001 #66 comp 11.37 HSCA/60

Buf looks good against lesser players.
    When you get to the 4 best teams.
    His weknesses would likely show.

The cowardly shit he pulled with Kane makes me think he is the kind of guy that would snap under the pressure and take really stupid penalties.
    maybe even causing you a seires.

Can you imagine that!

I can!

86. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

LoDog:
    Ca$h-McMoney!,

Krueger:4 seasons averaging about 8 goals and 25 points He does not ever get PP time.2 minutes so far this year and 2 minutes in 81 games last year. He is also their #1 PK guy.

So yes, I would take Krueger as the Oilers 4C all day over Lander.

I get it, but at the same time Kruger makes $1.5m this year only, whereas Anton is at $1million for 2 years. So you get that extra $500k, you get a contract that you can bury in the minors at no penalty (important for bottom line players) and you get the cheap rate for an extra year.

I’m just saying it’s close, and a Stanley Cup favorite seems pleased with the performance of the one…. so that suggests to me, at the very least, Anton Lander is not the problem.

Caramel Obvious: On what planet is Roman Polak a top four defenseman?

He is out producing Schultz, so again, on the Oilers he might be eligible for 24 minutes a night and a spot on the top PP.

PAY THE MAN!

87. Lois Lowe says:

I think Kassian ends up riding shotgun with McDavid to start tomorrow’s game.

88. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

rickithebear,

I seem to recall Buff being a pretty important contributor to a Stanley Cup championship at one point.

Not saying he’s elite, I don’t have an opinion on that point, but to suggest he couldn’t hack it in the playoffs seems off.

89. RJ2016 says:

They have a couple of blogs. There is some interest in “buying low” on Schultz.

Eberle + Schultz for Hamonic + NHL player

Is there a top-9 that makes sense from their roster or from their AHL team?

Dr. Taboggan:

90. Pouzar says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    rickithebear,

That was at forward too. Just sayin

91. Eastern Oil says:

Czar:
    Retweeted by Edmonton Oilers

Peaks just in time for the World Championships! Now that’s clutch on an international level

92. Pouzar says:

Stauffer saying “highly unlikely” Nurse to Bakersfield.

93. frjohnk says:

Pouzar:
    Stauffer saying “highly unlikely” Nurse to Bakersfield.

Klinkhammer does not have to clear waivers, so he probably goes down.

But that still means 1 D man in the press box

94. Магия 10 says:

The Great Scott music video:

SI feature:

95. Магия 10 says:

frjohnk: Klinkhammer does not have to clear waivers, so he probably goes down.

But that still means 1 D man in the press box

That works until Davidson activates. Then a D needs to go down.

96. Pouzar says:

frjohnk: Klinkhammer does not have to clear waivers, so he probably goes down.

But that still means 1 D man in the press box

Suggested Nurse was “exhausted”.

97. vinotintazo says:

Caramel Obvious: On what planet is Roman Polak a top four defenseman?

Lets be clear here, if Fayne is not Top 4 in EDM, he’s not top 4 ANYWHERE. the fact that he was waived/scratched indicates what he is.

98. Магия 10 says:

Pouzar: He said that they could have sent Nurse down during All Star break but chose not to.
    Suggested Nurse was “exhausted”.

That’s Bruce’s suggestion. Give him a rest during the break. The corollary is send him down when Davidson activates if he’s still overwhelmed.

99. LadiesloveSmid says:

rickithebear,

Ricki,

how do you factor in offence that Dmen bring? you say it’s cheaper to have box protecting D than offensive D, but what about the value in D that can transition the puck and quarterback the PP?

100. frjohnk says:

I would imagine that Clendenning is the guy that sits as he has not practiced with Oilers yet.

Sekara is not going to sit.
    Fayne, Schultz, Gryba are not going to sit as the Oilers probably want to showcase if they can trade one of them.
    Why bring up Reinhart if he is gonna sit?

So either they sit Nurse, but I doubt that, or sit Clendenning.

Or a trade is about to break. LT is now off the radio and Jamieson is on. Chia better hurry up.

101. Pouzar says:

Stauffer hates LT. 😛

102. Woogie63 says:

What if you divided the workman’s wages into buckets … your mileage might vary

Over/Fully paid 43% of “NHL roster”
    Eberle, Hopkins, Purcell, Pouliot, Korpikoski, Sekera, Shultz, Ference, Talbot (2017), Scrivens (had to retain) Nikitin, Fayne

About Right 23% of “NHL roster”
    Hall, Letestu, Gazdic, Klinkhammer, Gryba, Klebom (2017), Clendening

Value 20% of “NHL roster”
    Yakupov, Lander, Pakarinen, Davidson, Nilsson, Kassian

ELC 13%
    Driasaitl, McDavid, Nurse, Reinhart

The value guys are clearly very important to the mix

103. monsterbater says:

kinger_OIL,

i follow a few leafs writers/bloggers such as mirtle and @67sound and they universally describe polak as worse than marincin and not worthy of a top 6 role…. so i don;t do that

104. Магия 10 says:

frjohnk: That’s what I had been thinking. If they were going to send him down, why not 9 days ago?

For exactly Bruce’s reason: 120 hours of sleep

105. Spoils says:

be nice to add Hamonic, but if our goal is to win stanleys then he is NOT the solution. We have to find a way to add a true blue #1D. A keith a doughty a chara – type player.

Hanifin, Slavin, Faulk are all in Carolina.

what would it take to wrestle out one of those guys? are they worth it?

in the last 15 years or so. no team has won a stanley without a true blue #1D eating up 30min a night and getting Calder MVP Norris chatter… That’s not Hamonic. That’s not our D either (maybe klef or nurse take major steps forward, lord knows Drai did… but not worth gambling our prime McD years on that bet)

make a move. get a number 1 guy.

look at what Ekblad is doing in Florida.

All the difference.

106. Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons says:

Pouzar:

JDï™: If you’re wearing it to rexall, you have to arrive late and leave early.

You’ll have to work on your body language too. Slump those shoulders!

107. vinotintazo says:

Pouzar:
    Stauffer hates LT.

did he say something? lol

108. frjohnk says:

Spoils: in the last 15 years or so. no team has won a stanley without a true blue #1D eating up 30min a night and getting Calder MVP Norris chatter

you’re not from around here, are you?

109. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Spoils,

Hamonic is better than Hanifin today. Not long term maybe, but today.

He makes $3.85m/year for like 6 more years. That’s a great deal.

If we add Hamonic we can afford to add a #1d. If we don’t add Hamonic we can’t.

110. Lackadaisical says:

Spoils,

I don’t believe anyone here would want to stop at JUST Hamonic. That said, the cap room he provides, with skill, is mouth watering.

111. Pouzar says:

vinotintazo: did

he say something? lol

He was responding to a report/caller/poster saying that Allan Mitchell, aka Lowetide, said Nurse “MUST” be sent to the AHL. He was adamant that is was highly unlikely. He sounded slightly perturbed. 🙂

112. Магия 10 says:

Pouzar: He was responding to a report/caller/poster saying that Allan Mitchell, aka Lowetide, said Nurse “MUST” be sent to the AHL. He was adamant that is was high unlikely. He sounded slightly perturbed.

113. Pouzar says:

Магия 10: Just one second. Allan Mitchell said that it was highly unlikely (and that Stauffer’s employer’s aren’t good enough to do it)

Just reporting. 🙂

114. vinotintazo says:

got it. thx 🙂

115. PhrankLee says:

Pouzar: frjohnk: Klinkhammer does not have to clear waivers, so he probably goes down.
    But that still means 1 D man in the press box
    Suggested Nurse was “exhausted”.

I’m convinced he is having fatigue issues like Leon did last year.

This much travel and game schedule before you have completely stopped growing is very hard on young players.

116. Магия 10 says:

Pouzar:
    Stauffer hates LT.

Yeah. He went out of way to say he likes him. That’s always the tell with Smid too. 😉

117. Магия 10 says:

PhrankLee: I’m convinced he is having fatigue issues like Leon did last year.

2nd half is harder too. If you only play one half the first one is the right one.

118. Centre of attention says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers · 7m7 minutes ago
    McDavid taking drills with Eberle and Pouliot as the #Oilers partake in their first practice following the #NHLAllStar break.

Well that settles that.

119. Ducey says:

PhrankLee: I’m convinced he is having fatigue issues like Leon did last year.

I’m confused by that.

Leon sucked in the first half last year (37 games) when he would have been fresh. Then went back to the WHL and dominated the league. Kept on trucking right thru to a Mem Cup MVP.

I do agree Nurse needed a rest though. I would guess he has about 4-5 games to show he recent slump was fatigue, or its the AHL.

120. Alpine says:

RJ2016:
    They have a couple of blogs. There is some interest in “buying low” on Schultz.

Eberle + Schultz for Hamonic + NHL player

Is there a top-9 that makes sense from their roster or from their AHL team?

Josh Bailey is the same age as the above 3, and makes around 3.5 mil the next couple seasons. Useful top 9 F for the most part.

121. LadiesloveSmid says:
  122. Магия 10 says:

Centre of attention: McDavid taking drills with Eberle

OMG. THEY’RE PUMPING EBERLE. 😉

123. PhrankLee says:

Ducey: PhrankLee: I’m convinced he is having fatigue issues like Leon did last year.
    I’m confused by that.

He said it himself in an interview. His gas was running out mid game, couldn’t sleep, timezone difference every other night in a new building each game..So many firsts. It’s exhausting to them. And they need to put on muscle, play against men, listen to assignments, practice, not get arrested, etc, etc…

A bus trip through the Okanagan to play some hockey against guys your age with guys your age sounds like a walk in the park, comparatively speaking.

124. Halfwise says:

Oilers website indicates that some guy named “Mark Letesty” took some rushes with Kassian and Yakupov.

That’s exactly the right attitude to have for a line like that.

125. marty62 says:

RexLibris,

hear hear….. Hope they light it up and leave you a lasting memory of the old barn… some great memories of games past for me

126. Магия 10 says:

RexLibris: I’m going to the Columbus game (likely my last at Rexall/Northlands, a lot of memories there and I’m going to miss it) so I’m glad to hear McDavid will be playing.

Do report afterwards. Nice to hear from someone who gets to go. No doubt Flames nation will want a scouting report on Hall.

Pouzar: he say something? lol

He was responding to a report/caller/poster saying that Allan Mitchell, aka Lowetide, said Nurse “MUST” be sent to the AHL. He was adamant that is was highly unlikely. He sounded slightly perturbed. :)

As for Bob, he is a good person. Nice to hear he handled it well (I did not hear it, going from reports here).

128. admiralmark says:

Spoils:

Hanifin, Slavin, Faulk are all in Carolina.

what would it take to wrestle out one of those guys? are they worth it?

make a move. get a number 1 guy.

look at what Ekblad is doing in Florida.

All the difference.

2006 Carolina Hurricanes, 2009 Pittsburgh Penguins. I only went 10 years back.

129. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: It’s funny how things get distorted, but no, I have never said Darnell Nurse MUST be sent down. That would imply more knowledge than I have or could have, hope people know that about me.

I believe his exact words were “Why does LT hate Nurse?” 🙂

130. Магия 10 says:

Yeah. Bob implied that the must wasn’t exactly your wording.

131. leadfarmer says:

rickithebear: I did not say that.
    Reinhart is getting better def results against tougher comp.

But clearly in your mind that is the conclusion YOU came up with!

Defence wins champinships!

Reinhart .008 #52 Comp 10.56 HSCA/60
    Bufygulien -.001 #66 comp 11.37 HSCA/60

Buf looks good against lesser players.
    When you get to the 4 best teams.
    His weknesses would likely show.

maybe even causing you a seires.

Can you imagine that!

I can!

You forgot in your analysis the most important stat when looking at Byfuglien
    His individual high danger scoring chances are 21,47, 47 the last 3 years with the 21 being this year so far. Last year when he was on the ice his team was +67 in the high danger scoring chance battle. So while you may have posted that on the defensive side of things he is a middle pairing defensemen when in the ozone he is like having another high end forward on the ice. With the PP being as poor as it is he is exactly what we need but His age and asking price may not be. If you compare him to someone like Shattenkirk who is considered an offensive D-man but has only broken the individual high danger scoring chance 10 mark for the first time this year, he is sitting at 10 so far, you realize what an anomaly Buff is. But Your Deceptive statistics feed is starting to remind me of some other poster.

LoDog:
    Ca$h-McMoney!,

So yes, I would take Krueger as the Oilers 4C all day over Lander.

Lander is cheap. If you keep him next year, you keep Khaira in the minors playing in all situations as a top 6 centre working on his offense.

Lander isn’t a problem, because he does some things very well, and he does them at a bargain price. And when Khaira is ready, one doesn’t have a big contract blocking him. Do you really want Nugent-Hopkins and McDavid killing penalties? How did that work out this year, both hurt killing penalties?

133. raventalon40 says:

godot10: Except Kruger will earn nearly twice as much as Lander next year, and earns well over 50% more this year.

Lander is cheap.If you keep him next year, you keep Khaira in the minors playing in all situations as a top 6 centre working on his offense.

Lander isn’t a problem, because he does some things very well, and he does them at a bargain price.And when Khaira is ready, one doesn’t have a big contract blocking him.Do you really want Nugent-Hopkins and McDavid killing penalties?How did that work out this year, both hurt killing penalties?

McLellan’s style is that everyone kills penalties? Lander or no Lander.

134. barry.moore23 says:

Pouzar: I believe his exact words were “Why does LT hate Nurse?”

I’m pretty sure he said ” That LT – he’s a man among boys”.

** hits PayPal button

Go Oilers !!!!!

135. marty62 says:

I agree Lander has been our best face off guy, and great on the PK. He has essentially replaced Gordon for the key face offs and grunt work at $2 million less per season. If i remember correctly we didnt rely on Gordon for offense either… Even if Lander stays a 4th line center who is your best PK guy I think at his salary he is a bargain.

136. leadfarmer says:

Man rumors spread faster on the Oilerblogosphere than they do on a grade school playground. LT who has defended against my calls to send Nurse down all year gets the blame for wanting Nurse to get sent down. LOL

137. Магия 10 says:

barry.moore23: I’m pretty sure he said ” That LT – he’s a man among boys”.

** hits PayPal button

Go Oilers !!!!!

Clearly heard him say if Mitchell was right he’d donate a week’s pay on PayPal. Caller reminded him LT’s blog clearly asked for workman’s wages.

Lois Lowe:
    I think Kassian ends up riding shotgun with McDavid to start tomorrow’s game.

It is better to play rookies with veterans.

The Oilers have to trade Pouliot to be able to go Lucic-hunting.

So it will be Pouliot. And Eberle. The guys whose value they have to pump for off-season trades. If a particular matchup against McDavid requires a goon, the will move Kassian up for the game.

Yakupov and Kassian will be here next year. They will get Letestu.

139. bendelson says:

RexLibris:

Should be yet another memorable night at Rexall. Connor McDavid Night: Part II: The Return of the Clavicle.

I would love to say hello at the game. Which jersey will you be wearing?
    Sheehy or Peplinski?

140. Frank the dog says:

LT you do know that Магия 10 = Magic 10 in Bulgarian, right? But I suppose “Marna” is more identifiable.

Frank the dog:
    LT you do know that Магия 10= Magic 10 in Bulgarian, right? But I suppose “Marna” is more identifiable.

142. Магия 10 says:

Frank the dog:

Magic and Marna we can all type. Liked Woodguys Ma%$# too.

It’s from the Russian version of the Power of 10 game show. It’s a homage to young Nail’s gung ho attitude. Used НИНТЕНДО 64 here (N64) before Yak changed numbers.

143. RJ2016 says:

Maybe this has already been discussed at length and I simply missed it.

How are folks so certain that Davidson is a long-term player for the Oilers? He has 56 career games, not 400+ GP.

You don’t have to go any farther than Lander to see that some players, even with ample AHL seasoning, can have stretches of quality play. Lander was quality under Nelson, but he is not the same player this year.

I like Davidson’s story. I have liked the way he has played so far this season. At the same time, I’d hope that he plays at least 100 games before he is listed as a 3/4? Why are there no concerns re: regression? Love to know what people are seeing.

144. Lackadaisical says:

RexLibris: RexLi

Hoping for the same. If you see a group that seems to know nothing about hockey, with one drunken birthday boy in the middle trying to get them excited, you’ve likely spotted me.

They think I’m speaking in tongues when I go on about Unicorns, and Jultz’ing…

145. Магия 10 says:

RJ2016:
    Maybe this has already been discussed at length and I simply missed it.

Don’t see Davidson or Reinhart with appropriate trade values yet. Want to see both of them for a lot more games before anyone pigeonholes either one. Same with Yak.

146. Магия 10 says:

bendelson:

I would love to say hello at the game.Which jersey will you be wearing?
    Sheehy or Peplinski?

Probably Gary Suter. If he’s brave enough or crazy enough.

147. commonfan14 says:

admiralmark: 2006 Carolina Hurricanes, 2009 Pittsburgh Penguins. I only went 10 years back.

2012 Devils also didn’t have a stud #1, and they got to Game 6 of the finals after losing the first 2 games in OT.

148. LoDog says:

I just want the 4C to be able to pitch in 15+ points on avg.

If he could repeat that 6G 14A 20P over a whole freaking season then with his PK and FO skills he would be worth it. He doesn’t look like he will ever score again so I just don’t see it.

I just want Lander to be Casey Cizikas and I don’t think that is asking too much.

Drafted 92nd same year as Lander. Last three seasons with the Islanders. Top PK, No PP time.

2013-2014 ISLANDERS 80 6 10 16 -12 30 1 0 1 79 7.6
    2014-2015 ISLANDERS 70 9 9 18 -2 24 0 2 2 90 10.0
    2015-2016 ISLANDERS 47 4 10 14 5 22 0 1 2 47 8.5

I will admit to not knowing of the existence of Mr. Cizikas until this afternoon when I looking at players that scored 15-20 points last year. He happened to be the second player I clicked and lo and behold he is their 4C and get the most PK.

The first player I clicked? Chris freaking VandeVelde. Hes got 2 goals and 5 assists this season, is PHI top penalty killer and he makes over 200k less than Lander.

More than replaceable.

149. Professor Q says:

LoDog:
    I just want the 4C to be able to pitch in 15+ points on avg.

If he could repeat that6G 14A 20P over a whole freaking season then with his PK and FO skills he would be worth it. He doesn’t look like he will ever score again so I just don’t see it.

2013-2014ISLANDERS 8061016-1230101797.6
    2014-2015ISLANDERS709918-2240229010.0
    2015-2016ISLANDERS4741014522012478.5

The first player I clicked? Chrisfreaking VandeVelde. Hes got 2 goals and 5 assists this season, is PHI top penalty killer and he makes over 200k less than Lander.

More than replaceable.

Yeah, Casey was relatively big news when he played in the OHL (Mississauga St.Michael’s). Killed a kid playing rugby etc.

Many of my floormates when I went to Laurier were from Toronto, and some went to high school/grew up/played hockey with him.

150. Czar says:

Lowetide: Yes, I wanted to make sure people knew. One of the things this blog always tries to do is credit posters, because a lot of the good ideas come from them.

A lot of that going around today.

151. Магия 10 says:

Czar: A lot of that going around today.

Thanks for the wasted 30 seconds i’ll never get back. The poor soul never mentioned his *my precious* Tyler even once.

ftlfy

152. Psyche says:

I remember suggesting that Nurse be sent down during the ASG break. Who’d have thought that 20 yr old males get fatigued?!?!? ?
    I’m sure Darnell would’ve handled it fine physically. Quite possible he needed a mental break.

Psyche:

Yeah, I think that was the right play with Nurse. Get him away from the rink, get back at it after the layoff.

154. Магия 10 says:

Psyche:

But NOT sending him down during the All Star break is why Nurse got a break. Otherwise he would have been playing in Bakersfield. Now after the break is a whole ‘nother story. The AHL break is just starting. I’d say he’s here until after that break is ending as well.

155. Spoils says:

admiralmark,

Letang?

Other than that you have Scott Stevens, Hatcher, Bourque, Lidstrom, Neidermeyer, Boyle, Chara, Keith, Doughty

beast mode D.

156. Spoils says:

frjohnk,

you ask that why?

Do you really think it is a coincidence that the last batch of cups featured guys like McDonagh, Hedman, Keith, Doughty?

I don’t think you can expect to win without this kind of player, and I would argue we need to manufacture a trade that gets us one.

157. G Money says:

Магия 10: Caller reminded him LT’s blog clearly asked for workman’s wages.

I’m worried he’ll get no offers – just a come-on from the MSM on Gretzky Drive.

158. Магия 10 says:

Spoils: I’ll give you the Hurricanes, but they would have lost to Pronger had it not been for a freak injury.

Would submit they would have lost to the Sabres before that if not for the freakiest run of lost D ever capped by McKee before Game 7. That left them with Campbell and Lydman from their starting 6.

159. Spoils says:

Lackadaisical,

i like Hamonic. all for it, just save the big assets to trade for a true #1D…

160. G Money says:

leadfarmer: But Your Deceptive statistics feed is starting to remind me of some other poster.

Important differences:

– I believe that Ricki actually believes his own statistics, rather than using them as a cynical and deliberately dishonest tool as per the ‘other poster’

– Both are named after forest animals, but I remain of the steadfast belief that Ricki is, in fact, an actual bear

161. LadiesloveSmid says:

spending an extra 3M+ on Lucic over Pouliot is a poor play. Lucic could play for <50% of the contract ala Clowe. Paying top dollar for a couple years of his prime and his worst years. Keep that money for the McDavid years + defence.

162. Centre of attention says:

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline · 36m36 minutes ago
    #CBJ scheduled to practice at 4 pm local time. But it’s 3:43 and the #Oilers are still working out their power play. Hmm.

163. AsiaOil says:

….and Gordon has exactly the same total of 2 assists (points) that Lander has this year. Many problems on the Oilers this year – few of them are named Anton Lander.

marty62: I agree Lander has been our best face off guy, and great on the PK.He has essentially replaced Gordon for the key face offs and grunt work at $2 million less per season.If i remember correctly we didnt rely on Gordon for offense either…Even if Lander stays a 4th line center who is your best PK guy I think at his salary he is a bargain.

164. Магия 10 says:

AsiaOil: . Many problems on the Oilers this year – few of them are named Anton Lander.

Only 1. N’est pas?

(could not resist. he’s not the problem)

165. Магия 10 says:

G Money: I remain of the steadfast belief that Ricki is, in fact, an actual bear

He’s better than the average bear*

*19 time out of 20.

One cannot replace Lander with a proven veteran at Lander’s price point and duration. One would have to find another unproven AHL’er, and promote them.

Letestu gets a few more points, but came with three years at basically twice the salary.

The Oilers have Lander’s spot covered next year with Lander and Khaira. Why do people keep insist on creating a problem where none exists. Lander is dirt cheap. And provides insurance for Letestu, and keep Khaira over-ripening in Bakersfield. He is pretty much the ideal bottom of the roster player.

167. Магия 10 says:

godot10:
    One cannot replace Lander with a proven veteran at Lander’s price point and duration.One would have to find another unproven AHL’er, and promote them.

The Oilers have Lander’s spot covered next year with Lander and Khaira.Why do people keep insist on creating a problem where none exists.Lander is dirt cheap.And provides insurance for Letestu, and keep Khaira over-ripening in Bakersfield.He is pretty much the ideal bottom of the roster player.

168. John Chambers says:

godot10,

Eberle will be getting a serious push to end the season. Chiarelli wants a return of Hamonic + for him.

169. Lackadaisical says:

If Schultz comes back as a UFA and offers to sign 2 x 3 year contract, or something like that, do you say yes?

What would it take to change your mind?

Lackadaisical:
    If Schultz comes back as a UFA and offers to sign 2 x 3 year contract, do you say yes?

Schultz needs a second opinion.

171. Pouzar says:

Jack Michaels ‏@EdmontonJack
    Projected lineup v CBJ: Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell, 67-97-14, Kassian-Letestu-Yak, Korpi-Hendy-Pak, Sekera-Fayne, Reinhart-Schultz, Nurse-Gryba.

172. Psyche says:

A question for the masses: How much will Connor McDavid help the Oilers powerplay?

173. GCW_69 says:

delooper: Oilers trade Schultz for Scott.

Make it Schultz and Gazdic and we have a deal.

174. Thoughts on the Oilers: Roster changes, Shooters and AHL scoring + Radio Spot | The SuperFan says:

[…] Lowetide this morning on TSN 1260 to discuss the Oilers. Full audio clip is below starting around the 8:00 […]