BONA FIDE

Cam Talbot is 80 starts into his NHL career and has a .926 save percentage. His .916 save percentage this season ranks him in a tie for No. 20 overall (with Tuukka Rask) among starters (I chose 20 or more starts). We are not at the point where we can assume a quality start every night, but if you look at the ‘by month’ progress I think we are headed in a good direction:

• October .897
  • November .864
  • December .934
  • January .932

and he was .973 last night against the Blue Jackets. His cap hit next season jumps to $4.167M per year, so important to see the value. The Oilers this century have bled so many wins because goaltending, Talbot working out would be a very good arrow for Peter Chiarelli and his team building. I do wonder about next year’s backup, if they can get Laurent Brossoit on a one-way for less than $1 million (he is RFA) that might be a way to free up some cap room. A $5 million goalie tandem has some real appeal (Oilers are spending half that in 2015-16).

Luke Gazdic may be one of the final true enforcers to play in the NHL, there’s a sadness and finality to the story that touches us all. I have a friend whose Dad was one of the final calligraphers employed at the Globe and Mail, he tells a fantastic story about his being let go by the paper when the skill was no longer needed. I believe McLellan, suspect Gazdic will be back, but the day is coming when this player type no longer roams the earth. My beloved stay-at-home defensemen will soon be housed in the Don Awrey wing of the Memory Motel. He seems a nice fellow, hope it all works out for him. His roster spot goes to Brandon Davidson as of 10am tomorrow.

purcell capture

PURCELL

• Pierre Lebrun: The Edmonton Oilers haven’t decided yet what they’ll do with pending UFA winger Teddy Purcell. The 30-year-old found some decent chemistry playing on a line with Taylor Hall and Leon Draisaitl this season, putting up 11 goals and 18 assists in 51 games. But with a deep forward group moving forward when healthy, I think the Oilers have to decide where their money is better spent. Do they re-sign him this month or trade him? Source

I don’t know about price, and the club does have Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov and (potentially) Zack Kassian right side, but for me Purcell is a guy worth pursuing. It may depend on what the potential return is at the deadline, but he is a productive player for this team and an actual NHL player.

131 Responses to "BONA FIDE"

1. LMHF#1 says:

Move Purcell. Get the pick. Sign a winger for 1-2mil next season.

Rinse and repeat.

Good teams don’t get attached to players like this because they cost too much. Even with a substantial salary cut, you could replace him for less, plus have an extra pick or prospect.

2. Cobbler says:

Keep Purcell. The chemistry he has shown with Hall and Leon is too much to pass up. I don’t feel he is that easily replaced.

Love that Talbot is playing well. Him being successful for the rest of the season will be a major bonus for this team. Be competitive for the rest of the season, go into next year who the starter is without question.

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Trade is the obvious answer for Purcell.

If you want him back, sign him in the off season. He’s worth an offer in the off-season. He’s not worth wrapping up right now and losing the pick.

Waiving Gazdic, though not on par with waiving Nurse, should be read as a sign of mgt maturity imo.

4. Woogie63 says:

Purcell would have to re-sign in the $1.5M range with limited term (2 years) for this to be a good deal for Edmonton.

At 30 years old playing with 4-29, I think we just saw his best.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Trade is the obvious answer for Purcell.

6. stush18 says:

Cobbler:
    Keep Purcell.The chemistry he has shown with Hall and Leon is too much to pass up.I don’t feel he is that easily replaced

LMHF#1:
    Move Purcell. Get the pick.

This is the issue facing chia lol

Personally I keep him on a 2-3 yr deal and move ebs with the pick for a dman or two. But I can understand moving him and hope they consider signing him in the summer if he is traded.

7. Zelepukin says:

Todd McLellan says he’s still in the plans

Dinner plans? He is a complete waste of ice-time and an even more valuable spot on the 4th line when we’re potentially running unicorns.

It’s hard to be threat to the opposition when you’re never on the ice.

8. oliveoilers says:

Good goalering makes me happy.

With Rom et al, trade Teddy. Not because he’s bad, but because he has value. Offer him in the summer,or use his place for nnatural player progression within the team.

Would we get a second for him?

9. leadfarmer says:

Why “get good players, keep good players” when you can just trade them for a draft pick that’s most likely not going to amount to squat. Rinse and repeat every year.
    Hopefully Purcell realizes that no other team is going to play him with players of Halls and Draisatls caliber and is acceptable of a reasonable contract.

10. Zelepukin says:

leadfarmer:
    Why “get good players, keep good players” when you can just trade them for a draft pick that’s most likely not going to amount to squat.Rinse and repeat every year.

Exactly. Purcell doesn’t get a raise. He gets offered what we give him, otherwise we can find any other similar player that would take that gift of playing with two of the best and 1st line minutes.

11. Магия 10 says:

Tend to think players that need to adjust their cap downwards hit the open market before taking the hit,

12. Water Fire says:

Lines should be built to support the best player on the line. It’s not Teddy. Essentially the Oilers have 4 skilled RW and 3 are not really physical or big. If Yak or Ebs go out there is room at 2M or less short term. If they stay he isn’t helpful they need some boardmen. More than another skilled floater.

13. OF17 says:

LMHF#1:
    Move Purcell. Get the pick. Sign a winger for 1-2mil next season.

Rinse and repeat.

The only guys out there that I see as rough comparables are Brouwer, Vrbata, Versteeg, and Stempniak. Brouwer would be a better fit, but he’s likely to be more expensive and more highly contested. Vrbata will be 35 next season, which means that this year’s off year might be more than just an off year. Versteeg is smaller and more one-dimensional, and Stempniak’s established ability is way less than his production this year. So we’re left with the hope that we could sign Brouwer to a reasonable deal and a 2nd round pick rather than the certainty of signing Purcell to a reasonable deal.

This assumes he’d sign such a deal, but if so, does the certainty of having a RW than can PK and play with skill next year not trump the duo of gambles that 1) you’ll be able to sign someone that can do those two things next season and 2) that that 2nd round pick ever turns into anything?

Ideally, you talk Purcell into pulling a Vermette and re-signing in the offseason after a playoff run. But if that fails, I think 2 years of a top-6 NHL forward is higher than the expected value from your average 2nd round pick. Right?

Tough question, and one I’m not set on, but the top-heavy crop of UFA forwards this year doesn’t make me all that eager to trade Purcell.

I’m glad Talbot has straightened out his season.

The crowd in front of my house with pitchforks and hot tar has dwindled down to couple guys trying to bum smokes.

*whew*

15. Woogie63 says:

Daddy is it Thursday at 5:30 pm yet?

16. Woogie63 says:

Woodguy,

made me laugh out loud

17. Klima's_Bucket says:

1) Trade Purcell
    2) Fix the defence.
    3) Then go about finding a winger to play with Hall and Drai. Or just play Nuge between Hall and Drai.

18. Klima's_Bucket says:

Woodguy: The crowd in front of my house with pitchforks and hot tar has dwindled down to couple guys trying to bum smokes

I needed to bum quite a few smokes after that McDavid goal last night….

Woodguy:
    I’m glad Talbot has straightened out his season.

*whew*

I was going to rent one of those trailers with the ads on the back (like the one at Kingsway for Lowe) and park it in front of your house, but then I forgot.

20. frjohnk says:

Purcell has been a good soldier this year. An actual NHL player, who can compliment skill nicely.

If one of the options to get a D man is to trade Yak or Eberle, then offering Purcell a contract would be a good idea, though nowhere near what he is getting paid today.

If he declines the offer and elects to go to UFA, then grab a magic bean, probably a late 2nd rounder or a 3rd and a 5th.

21. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy:
    I’m glad Talbot has straightened out his season.

*whew*

Don’t worry we just ran home to get clean clothes and sharpen our pitchforks. We will be back in no time.

22. frjohnk says:

Woodguy:
    I’m glad Talbot has straightened out his season.

*whew*

23. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:
    I’m glad Talbot has straightened out his season.

*whew*

You weren’t wrong. In fact you probably identified him as early as anyone else out there and perhaps as early, or even earlier, than some GMs.

Nice work.

24. Cobbler says:

I have serious doubt that the Oilers will be able to sign a FA RW this summer at a price less than you can get Purcell for now. Purcell is currently 26th in league scoring for RW. I know he is a UFA and is getting on, but there is obvious chem with Leon and Hall. Why pass on that?

Get good players, keep good players.

25. Dicky94 says:

If they are thinking of trading Eberle you sign Teddy and go all in for Okposo!

26. BONE207 says:

Took in my first live game last night in 2 years & almost decided not to go. 97 is our Gord’s gift to us. All the superlatives have been used but all I can say is the live games with him is better than reading the commentary on this site. Beer tastes pretty good there too.

27. RexLibris says:

frjohnk: *sends texts to all brothers “load up, we are going back to Woodguys place, gotta keep the bastard honest”*

Hmm, the guy sells wood.

Not sure any amount of effort is going to help there.

I kid, I kid!

28. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: but then I forgot.

The curse of age.

note – I’m looking forward to getting older just so I have that as a plausible excuse.

29. RexLibris says:

BONE207: 97 is our Gord’s gift to us.

That was a nice game. Likely my last at Rexall and if so, I’m glad it will be a happy memory.

30. misfit says:

I think you have to talk extension with Purcell but understand that the dollars have to fit with what we have coming up. Finding another Purcell in the offseason UFA bargain bin may not be as easy as we think, and another 2-3 years with Teddy on Drai/Hall’s RW is worth more to this team than the 3rd/4th we’ll get for him at the deadline. Him simply being one of our few RHSs gives him value.

But if you can’t sign him somewhere between 2.5 and 3, you have to move on. Either at the deadline or letting him walk July 1. You can’t afford to put unnecessary cap strain on the next 2-5 years.

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: They wouldn’t need to waive Nurse, just send him down. I assume that is meant here.

yes. the ends not the means was all I was focused on there.

32. Romulus Apotheosis says:

something short and stupid on how stupid it would be to trade RNH

33. OF17 says:

Dicky94:
    If they are thinking of trading Eberle you sign Teddy and go all in for Okposo!

There’s a reason the Islanders are looking for someone who can keep up with Tavares, and it’s not because Okposo is a UFA this year. He’s a good player, no doubt, but if we’re spending big money on a UFA forward, I’d rather it be Lucic, Ladd, Boedker, or Backes.

As an aside, that sounds like quite the law firm.

34. LoDog says:

Woodguy,

Sorry, I dont really smoke but its been stressful. Me and Carl will pack up in the morning.

If by some McDavid miracle they are close to playoff spot then they very well may keep him. Otherwise traded. If he signed with the oilers before the off season then they probably paid too much.

35. jonrmcleod says:

I think Chiarelli’s decision to not keep Derek Roy might give us a clue as to what he might do with Purcell. Both are players who had some chemistry with other players on the team (Roy with Yak; Purcell with Draisaitl and Hall), but both are relatively old, lack a physical element to their games, and are not high end skill players.

36. Pouzar says:

Trade Purcell for OEL. Duh.

37. Stelio Kontos says:

I trade purcell then try to resign in the summer. Chances are he is significantly cheaper after his play dips playing for not the second best line in hockey.

38. Johnny skid says:

Pouzar:
    Trade Purcell for OEL. Duh.

would we have to add?

39. Магия 10 says:

Hot tip for Bendelson. You can’t go wrong with 7-2 Thursday for the Oil

40. deankb says:

I like what Teddy has done this year but you do not spend valuable cap space on someone who is benefitting from a plumb assignment. Trade him for the pick, move Ebs back to that line and play Yak with Franchise.

If you end up trading Ebs for a D man you have a pretty decent story to sell any UFA winger in July or you move Drai to the wing. So many options now so Teddy isn’t a priority.

Defense, defense, defense.

41. Pouzar says:

In all seriousness I am down with a Purcell resign (preferably in the offseason after we trade him) if Eberle is moved for defense. Purcell plays well with top talent.

42. thehop says:

The upcoming cap crunch makes productive nhlers easier to acquire. This makes Purcell tradable at the deadline in my mind. The oilers need stronger bottom six players and I have yet to see him play a game recently that would suggest he could play that role. Give Yak his 5×5 and power play minutes and see what happens.

43. Centre of attention says:

I don’t know if its been mentioned yet but the mouth-breathers over at sportsnet [Kypreos&co] think we should package Nuge and Yak together for a “good, young” defenseman.

I guess they flip-flopped again and already like Eberle because hes on the wonder child’s line and scored.

They just say things to specifically irritate me, I swear.

44. frjohnk says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    something short and stupid on how stupid it would be to trade RNH

I agree with you but…..

if McDavid and Draisaitl knock it out of the park in the time that RNH is out

its not out of the question that there will be some in the Oiler organization that feel RNH could be expendable. And one of those guys could be Chia.

Chia might be tempted to put RNH and this years first ( or whatever) on the table to grab the D man this team needs/wants and look to fill the 3rd line center role with a Darren Helm type through UFA or maybe a different player in a trade.

I’m not attached to any one player save McDavid but if a guy like RNH is traded for a D man, we can not lose the trade and there would need to be any play for a center.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    something short and stupid on how stupid it would be to trade RNH

God bless you.

46. DoubleJ says:

Let’s not forget last offseason where there was tons of NHL wingers with out work. I’m sure Purcell will be available next summer. Trade for an asset. Pick him up in the summer if he’s the best available. But I think there’s going to be lots of players willing to play with this core of forwards.

47. Klima's_Bucket says:

Bob McKenzie is on NBC right now during the Wings/Bolts intermission.

Bob: “The NHL has admitted that although Wideman was concussed on the hit from Salomaki, that Wideman needs to be in control of himself and not deliberately hit an unsuspecting linesman.”

48. Ducey says:

Purcell: Pump & Dump!

49. Centre of attention says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    Bob McKenzie is on NBC right now during the Wings/Bolts intermission.

If they think he was concussed they should fine the Flames for letting him play the rest of the game. He didn’t miss a shift.

This whole thing is a real head scratcher.

50. deankb says:

Unless of course Teddy signs and then convinces his buddy Steve to sign as a UFA…

Kidding of course (kinda)

51. RedArmy says:

An offer I would consider would be Yakupov for Kreider.

Seems like a Chiarelli type of player. Size, speed, age fits the core, has produced in the pwayoffs.

52. MrEd says:

The NHL started in the right place with the Wideman suspension. I’m not up on the process but on the appeal side I hope an independent arbitrator would have the ability to increase the suspension. This would give the appeal process some bite and dissuade the NHLPA from bullying the league.

This situation resonates in a very real way throughout hockey at all levels. The Stripes deserve our respect. Take a look at how much these guys get paid for years experience and get back to me if you disagree. Even at the NHL level they’re underpaid.

53. MrEd says:

Purcy has been fantastic. All we can offer him is 2 years though. Hopefully he has enough jam to want to stay.

54. RexLibris says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    something short and stupid on how stupid it would be to trade RNH

Jeezuz.

Short, sweet and direct.

Nice work, and A-bloody-men!

55. MrEd says:

Is Nilsson for another year an option? He might take another shot at being a back-up at the same price. 5 million for G is what’s affordable.
    The man they call LB will be plenty itchy by this time next year…

I cheer.

RexLibris: You recall me saying at the start of the season that Talbot showed up really well in Pronman’s Prospectus? He was up there with Price and a few others in the various goaltending categories that Pronman covered.

Nice work.

Thank you sir.

Romulus Apotheosis:
    something short and stupid on how stupid it would be to trade RNH

Good that you’re around more.

Nice piece.

leadfarmer: Don’t worry we just ran home to get clean clothes and sharpen our pitchforks.We will be back in no time.

I’ve set traps.

59. Romulus Apotheosis says:

frjohnk: I agree with you but…..

if McDavid and Draisaitl knock it out of the park in the time that RNH is out

its not out of the question that there will be some in the Oiler organization that feel RNH could be expendable.And one of those guys could be Chia.

Here, I’d like to distinguish between the idea of a player being “expendable” and the idea that a player is “untouchable” (or close to it).

I don’t take to the idea that any player is “untouchable”… a GM’s job is to listen to offers and to consider all the puzzle pieces.

On that wise, I don’t think the idea of an RNH trade is necessarily misplaced. Sure, some combination of moves could potentially swap out RNH and swap in another really good C and the D we have been looking for.

That … acknowledging that maybe out there a trade works that involves RNH … is one thing.

It’s a thing that acknowledge that

1. “untouchable” is largely a silly concept

2. The Oilers’ Center depth cannot afford to lose RNH without an active plan to replace him with a really damn good C

3. 19 and 20 year old Cs, regardless of talent are going to struggle and there will be injuries

4. the rush to offload players at the first sign of skill duplication is silly.

5. and, of course, the concept of “expendable”, i.e., something that can be lost without suffering any need for replacement, is not one that reasonably be applied to RNH.

60. Lois Lowe says:

I don’t think Teddy gets another contract in Edmonton unless it’s a PTO.

Chia has stated that his preferred player type has a ‘heavier’ style of game. I think the Kassian test drive this season is basically an audition for Purcell’s job. Teddy has been fine (though not at 4.5 per) in Edmonton, but he’s not good enough at any particular thing to make him above replacement level.

Playing on a line with nos. 9 and 14 in P/60 tends to skew a complementary player’s value a bit. A flat cap and a plethora of in-house options make Purcell expendable.

61. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: Thank you sir.

I’ll try to find some time tomorrow to post something here about the details of it.

62. speeds says:

There are a variety of reasons why the Oilers might well choose to move Purcell, but one that I haven’t seen mentioned too often is the potential minimization of bonus overages, which would carry into next year and reduce cap space in a year where EDM might really want all the space they can get.

63. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Thanks for the kind words folks.

Maybe like a protective father, I’m just more deeply in anticipation for the coming Leon Slump.

64. kinger_OIL says:

– Great write-up LT! Re: Talbot: His numbers for last two months are much better then the first two months: very encouraging to be sure. League average G is a good base, would be nice for him to go on a stretch of .920 average, with less in the .880’s that require .940’s to get to the .920.

65. PunjabiOil says:

Stauffer said the other week that Purcell is a guy they might circle back to on July 1, due to his proven chemistry with Drai/Hall.

It would be wise to trade him unless the Oilers go on a big run and put themselves into playoff contention.

66. AsiaOil says:

Solid veterans on expiring contracts demand a premium at the deadline – you trade them when you are not looking to add for a run of some sort.

Picks command a premium at the draft – you trade them to speed up a rebuild when necessary.

Purcell, Fayne, Shultz, Korpse and maybe Gryba (depends what he wants to resign) are all non-critical vets who can go if someone offers a useful piece or picks.

67. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

LT,

You’ve created a monster.

“Get good players, keep good players” is a very nice, simple concept. Except of course that it isn’t.

Because it’s turned into, for some, “Get good players, keep good players, and apparently the salary cap doesn’t exist”.

Overpaying Purcell to stay will mean that we can’t keep the good players (Drai for example) that we’ve worked hard to acquire.

I like Purcell. I want him on this team next year. That said he needs to make less than $2million/year, because he’s a third wheel on a great line. We know this because it’s the only time he’s produced over the life of his contract, including the stint in Tampa away from Stamkos (when he was going to get bought out). He didn’t magically become the player he was 4 years ago this year.

Again, I like the player. I do. But we need to be realistic.

The only way we hang on to Drai, RNH, Ebs, Hall, McDavid, Klefbom, Nurse, Talbot, and Sekera long term is if we find 6 or 7 actual NHL players to play actual NHL minutes for entry level prices. We will be able to re-sign Kassian cheap (because no one else will want him even if he behaves for half a season, and he’ll want to stay because he’s had success) and Davidson cheap, so that’s great.

Purcell can play on my team any day. But only at the right price. I’m not giving up some of the elite young talent on this team to accommodate his contract this year or next.

Cash: I didn’t say anything about overpaying Purcell.

69. Klima's_Bucket says:

Where is your line in the sand in regards to Purcell’s next contract should he re-up in Edmonton LT?

70. RJ2016 says:

If you’re going to make an argument to keep Purcell based on the following factors:

1. Has chemistry with Hall & Drai
    2. Is a “smart” player

Nuge on C/RW makes as much or more sense as keeping Purcell, and adds:

3. Centre depth

as an additional factor in favor of moving Purcell.

If they trade Nuge or Eberle, then there is an argument to re-sign Purcell in the off-season but there could be a UFA C that may meet 2/3 criteria (centre depth, smart player) and may develop the chemistry in time.

The “get good players, keep good players” mantra does make sense but it also had a Goring exception (making good trades that improve the team).

Klima’s_Bucket:

Korpikoski makes $2.7M, I would find a way to dump the Finn and keep the Newfoundlander. $3M? Somewhere in there. I like Purcell, does a lot of good things.

72. jake70 says:

RexLibris: When the camera picked up McDavid on the bench and started playing “Personal Jesus” my whole row burst out in laughter.

I could hear that song through the TV, had a good chuckle too.

73. Klima's_Bucket says:

I like your thinking…. now let’s discuss plausible ways to dump the Finn.

74. 719 says:

Purcell is playing well, and I think Chia cashes in while his value is high.

Ebs moves to the top line, Yak moves to McDavid’s line and Kassian moves to right on the 3rd.

Korp or Hendy move to the 3rd line LW position.

I am not advocating for this, just my guess on what will happen.

75. DoubleJ says:

How much did Stepniak (sp) get this offseason? No reason to keep Purcell. Trade him get a pick grab him in the offseason if he’s your best bet.

76. tcho says:

C’mon Flames! You can still lose this thing in regulation!

77. 719 says:

Recall Doug Wilson moved Clowe and Murray at deadline 2013. Not because his team could not use them going into the playoffs, but because he was getting good value. Hindsight is 20/20 but he sold both players at the highest value he was going to get for them.

I can see something similar happening with Purcell and Schultz this deadline.

78. Woogie63 says:

I think Fayne has played is way back into the safe zone, so he can avoid three weeks of trade rumours?

79. DoubleJ says:

I’m guessing it all depends on his trade value too. If all you’re getting is a fifth round pick. Then maybe have a contract ready for him to sign at the deadline. At 1.5 mil tops.

80. fifthcartel says:

Today, Stauffer said he believes the Oilers could have got Petry under 5M if they were more proactive, “roughly the same price point as Klefbom”, but they liked Justin Schultz more.

I mean, we all knew this, but it’s still sad to hear.

81. LMHF#1 says:

OF17: I know I’ve asked you about this before, and if you responded and I didn’t see it, my apologies, but who would you replace Purcell with out of current UFAs?

I did indeed respond with a list. Is there any way to search for that comment?

There’s also nothing stopping you from trading Purcell, THEN bringing him back if he’s the most cost effective option.

I think you’re overrating Purcell a bit based on that list, but that’s okay.

I’d looked at Frans Nielsen, Chris Stewart and a couple others at the time I think.

I also don’t see the need for a filler for that particular spot on the roster necessarily, even if you also trade Eberle. Would much rather split that money 7-2 or something than 4.5-4.5. Frankly I wouldn’t be playing Purcell with Hall and Draisaitl right now either – he hasn’t been good enough lately. Unless you’re trying to trade him.

My basic point was that every year there are good players available in training camp for either a low contract or a PTO. Purcell is not a core piece – he’s one of those other guys. You cycle them in and out if you ever want to be able to pay enough to have a great core and win.

82. LMHF#1 says:

DoubleJ:

He’s got to get a 2nd, doesn’t he?

83. Woogie63 says:

Steve Smith does not seem to be part of the problem in his new gig!

LMHF#1: He’s got to get a 2nd, doesn’t he?

85. Romulus Apotheosis says:

fifthcartel:

I mean, we all knew this, but it’s still sad to hear.

how’s that forensic audit coming along?

Romulus Apotheosis: how’s that forensic audit coming along?

Honestly. I don’t know whether to weep or kill my garage.

87. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: I don’t think we can know. Perron got a first and Klinkhammer, but he had an extra year did he not?

But, I’m guessing an extra year on Purcell’s contract might actually be a hindrance at that price point.

Ignoring contracts, last year Chris Stewart and Sven Baertschi each got a 2nd.

None of these players are that much alike, but they are all skilled (more or less) wingers.

88. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: Honestly. I don’t know whether to weep or kill my garage.

89. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Lowetide: Honestly. I don’t know whether to weep or kill my garage.

kill your garage and then weep.

90. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Pouzar: I am honestly not trying to rail on the guy again(Korpse) but where was Dellow when they acquired #28? He’s always been a possession black hole even in his good boxcar years. The WOWYs are just as funny in those good years as well.

That felt like one of those, I’ve got to scratch that itch kind of acquisitions that all GMs have in their history.

91. jp says:

Woogie63:
    I thinkFayne has played is way back into the safe zone, so he can avoid three weeks of trade rumours?

I think Gryba stays as 3RD (or possibly a different cheap bone crusher) and Chia looks to upgrade the other slots. McLellan clearly isn’t enamored with Fayne, and the team would probably be happy to offload next years salary if they could.

I’d have no issue keeping him around, but I think the Oilers move on if they find a taker.

92. Pouzar says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Chia “I’ve always had time for Korpi” or somesuch likely made that call on his own.

Yeah that has to be it. So frustrating. Another year at 2.75 mil

jp: I think it might be the opposite. He may have played his way back to being a tradeable asset.

Agree.

94. jp says:

95. G Money says:

CGY wins but Brodie out with a lower body injury.

96. Snowman says:

Lowetide: Honestly. I don’t know whether to weep or kill my garage.

You don’t have any trees left?

97. who says:

Trading Purcell is a no brainer in my mind, same with Shultz and Gryba. Everyone says he has great chemistry on that line but I would bet you get more production out of Eberle, Yak or even Kassian in his place. If you really want these players back you can re sign in the summer but for Purcell it would have to be less than 2 mil for no more than 2 years. I still would rather move Pakarinen into the top 9 and take that extra money and spend it on a dman. If I thought Korp was tradeable I would trade him also but who’s gonna take his contract. Fayne is playing himself into a possible tradeable piece but if he keeps playing this way I can almost live with him. Don’t have a strong opinion either way

98. Pouzar says:

jp: Do they ask Dellow? My impression is he has a pretty small voice. Likely not actually “in the room” when they make decisions.

*shrug*

I would say “No” based on that example.

99. kinger_OIL says:

– How many players get traded during season, then re-sign with the team that traded them in the summer? 1 out of 50? I ‘m thinking Reasoner did with the Oil. So once in ten years?

100. DRFNsuperstar says:

kinger_OIL:
    – How many players get traded during season, then re-sign with the team that traded them in the summer?1 out of 50? I ‘m thinking Reasoner did with the Oil.So once in ten years?

Vermette and Michalek this summer…

101. Rondo says:

fifthcartel:

I mean, we all knew this, but it’s still sad to hear.

Yes but if he signed Petry maybe no McDavid

102. DRFNsuperstar says:

jp,

Do analysts get invited to board meetings? He probably submits a report too…god I hate typing this…Howson

103. Gerta Rauss says:

A buyout or burying the Finn in the AHL is an option if push comes to shove wrt the cap.
    A far from perfect solution but either option isn’t terribly onerous.

I think we have to pencil him in for next year though. Chia brought him in, i think he’s on the roster.
    ==
    I’ve liked Purcell’s game since he arrived in Edm, but trading him at the deadline is the play imo

I think a pick in the 50s (late 2nd round) is fair value(with salary retained or a contract coming back)

After the draft/July 1 and you’ve got your D sorted out you can give Purcell a call-I don’t believe he’ll be among the guys that sign in the first few days of free agency.

104. DRFNsuperstar says:

Rondo,

Exactly, it has all been a pilgrimage. We have The One, and he’s better than the Jet Li version

105. Lois Lowe says:

Lowetide: Honestly. I don’t know whether to weep or kill my garage.

You could just let your garage gently weep.

106. Woogie63 says:

Not sure who you would trust to play RHD shut down role. I think he has been playing effective minutes, that will be hard to replace with the current crew.

107. kinger_OIL says:

DRFNsuperstar,

– Coyotes don’t count: they are run by the league…. And neither player really anything much. Maybe I should ask how many good players get traded and then come back?

One trades Purcell at the deadline, and revisits him in July after one had redone the blueline at the draft and early in the free agent season.

One has to leave as much cap space open for pursuing D in June and early July. When that is done, Purcell and other veteran UFA’s can be considered.

109. DRFNsuperstar says:

kinger_OIL:
    DRFNsuperstar,

– Coyotes don’t count: they are run by the league….And neither player really anything much.Maybe I should ask how many good players get traded and then come back?

They both garnered more in trade at last year’s deadline than Purcell will this year…

110. geowal says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    something short and stupid on how stupid it would be to trade RNH

Maybe they’ll miss his minutes (24:32 a game). But not for long. The Oilers have young defensive talents coming up and just traded penalty-prone press-box regular Sean Brown to Boston for another one in Bobby Allen.

Read the whole thing. I’m still waiting to find out who the supposed up and coming defenseman were! Any hints?

111. haters says:

Romulus Apotheosis: It’s certainly possible that Chia thinks RNH is expendable… however I think that is very unlikely.

It’s a thing that acknowledge that

1. “untouchable” is largely a silly concept

4. the rush to offload players at the first sign of skill duplication is silly.

I wonder, if there were 2 types of trades out there which would you prefer
    (Rnh+Davidson/Shultz..ect—Larrson+Henrique)
    Or
    (Rnh—-Shattenkirk)

Myself I would prefer the first trade. A lesser Defensive prospect but like you say, the addition of a center that could handle tough minutes and Pk more effectively at a more reasonable cost.

But I would do either trade in a heartbeat because I really tire of seeing wasted potential due to ineffective blue.

Not saying Rnh is expendable at all btw. Love the nuge.
    That’s why you get more than full value in any deal. Or damn close.

112. jp says:

DRFNsuperstar:
    jp,

While writing that I was actually picturing a few pieces of paper, representing Dellow, on he table in front of Chiarelli.

113. Gerta Rauss says:

jp: We can be sure reports have been submitted. What happens from there we can only guess.

They have top men working on it right now

114. kooler says:

haters: I wonder, if there were 2 types of trades out there which would you prefer
    (Rnh+Davidson/Shultz..ect—Larrson+Henrique)
    Or
    (Rnh—-Shattenkirk)

Not saying Rnh is expendable at all btw. Love the nuge.
    That’s why you get more than full value in any deal. Or damn close.

Although i would like to keep RNH and Eberle….I would put Eberle out there before RNH. RNH takes face offs, blocks shots, 200′ game….3on3 wizard. Eberle has great skill but not well rounded like RNH. If there’s a trade to get a top D, Eberle has to be the one.

115. jp says:

Gerta Rauss: They have top men working on it right now

Petry. Sigh.

Those forensic reports are still flowing in.

116. G Money says:

Spoke too soon. Goddamn NHL discontinued their schedule page, which means my goddamn player dashboard loading programs don’t work.

At least I’ve got a line on how to replace it, but holy shit I hate wading through JSON.

117. Professor Q says:

G Money:

Mr. G! Language!

118. Professor Q says:

kooler: Although i would like to keep RNH and Eberle….I would put Eberle out there before RNH.RNH takes face offs, blocks shots, 200′ game….3on3 wizard. Eberle has great skill but not well rounded like RNH. If there’s a trade to get a top D, Eberle has to be the one.

Although with the Subban rumours rumbling…what might work for that to happen with Edmonton?

119. Professor Q says:

It’s a thing that acknowledge that

1. “untouchable” is largely a silly concept

4. the rush to offload players at the first sign of skill duplication is silly.

Quoted for very good points.

120. PhrankLee says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    something short and stupid on how stupid it would be to trade RNH

Nice job, Rom. I agree entirely.

Just when we get depth everyone wants to trade the experienced, baptized via fire 22 yr old C that has 4 years NHL experience. 4! At 22 yrs old… About whom can this also be said? Few if any.

It’s just crazy how stupid that is.

121. PhrankLee says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Thanks for the kind words folks.

The beauty of that slump is that with Connor in the line up and RNH returning he can go through it like a normal NHL player. Not a 19 yr old who has the dreams of an entire fanbase breathing down his neck.

The McDavid Umbrella.

Or the McDavid cone of forgiveness. if I may.

122. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Cash: I didn’t say anything about overpaying Purcell.

I understand. I was merely pointing out the catchiness of one of your preferred sayings. I think it gets applied a little too liberally (by others) to cases like Mr. Purcell’s.

123. Магия 10 says:

Lois Lowe: You could just let your garage gently weep.

Something familiar about that….

Every mistake, we must surely be learning
    Still my garage gently weeps

Same blokes that recorded Good D Sundial

124. GCW_69 says:

Teddy’s peak production seems to align with contract years. If he is going to be resigned, one would hope it’s a one year deal.

125. PhrankLee says:

Yeah,

Well my garage fuckin reeks. Reeeeeeekssssss…

Fuck the Sens. Going to the game in Ottawa tonight.

Pretty psyched. Both sons with me 19 and 16.

Seriously, fuck the Senators.

And the hockey team in Ottawa as well.

Skoylers!!

126. GCW_69 says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    something short and stupid on how stupid it would be to trade RNH

Why does every “don’t trade Nuge” article assume Chiarelli either won’t get a centre back as part of the trade our that he won’t add an appropriately paid 3C with the ability to play 2C when required via some other means? Boston always had good centre depth during his time there.

127. Магия 10 says:

GCW_69: Why does every “don’t trade Nuge” article assume Chiarellieither won’t get a centre back as part of the trade our that he won’t add an appropriately paid 3C with the ability to play 2C when required via some other means? Boston always had good centre depth during his time there.

Because TMac and Chia both have have a history of more depth. 3C as 3C and 3 centres in the top 6 is right up their alley. Guess what. Some have bad days. Some get injured. Some need time away from the Centre dot on one side or the other.

128. Obiwan Eberle says:

G Money,

You seem very capable in the analytics aspect….but on the programming side? specifically R language? there are some data scientists (ahem) who may be able to assist if you are looking to build a more structured format from JSON or even produce a product….just sayin….

129. Melman says:

godot10:
    One trades Purcell at the deadline, and revisits him in Julyafter one had redone the blueline at the draft and early in the free agent season.

One has to leave as much cap space open for pursuing D in June and early July.When that is done, Purcell and other veteran UFA’s can be considered.

This is the prudent course of action and Teddy can be sent away to have a playoff run with a smile and a “maybe we’ll see you back” chat.

The other option that moving him opens up is to try and fill his spot by getting a veteran 3C and move either Leon or RNH to the wing.

130. Магия 10 says:

Obiwan Eberle:
    G Money,

You seem very capable in the analytics aspect….but on the programming side?specifically R language?there are some data scientists (ahem) who may be able to assist if you are looking to build a more structured format from JSON or even produce a product….just sayin….

Old thread. So he may have missed your offer. Try the contents section in his blog Oilers nerd alert. He”s on the Python side of the divide.