SHOWCASE

It looks to me as though the Edmonton Oilers have someone interested in Justin Schultz. Like the flu, signs are obvious: They are playing the living hell out of him, and they are using him in all three disciplines. That is my take.

Let’s compare JSchultz’s usage today to his average for the season (average in brackets):

• Evens: 15:35 (17:01)
  • PP: 3:39 (2:05)
  • PK: 0:51 (1:10)
  • Total: 20:05 (20:16)

Huh. Evidence is not in the TOI, at least that I can see. Well, it looks like it, swear to God. What about last game?

• Evens: 17:17 (17:01)
  • PP: 1:15 (2:05)
  • PK: 2:52 (1:10)
  • Total: 21:26 (20:16)

Hmm. If the scouts are in town to view Schultz, it might be Chicago, Toronto, Nashville, Dallas, Winnipeg, New Jersey, NY Rangers, Carolina, Colorado, Minnesota, NY Islanders, Arizona. I still think Fayne is a more attractive defenseman for a contending team. We wait.

Maybe the Oilers are looking for situations as opposed to more playing time. I think they might try the Eakins way: Gobs of offensive zone starts and very little heavy lifting.

99 Responses to "SHOWCASE"

1. Klima's_Bucket says:

I don’t care if they use the Eakins way, or the McLellan way.
    But please use whatever way gets this player off of the ice as soon as possible.

2. RexLibris says:

Rex Codex Libris ‏@CodexRex 11s11 seconds ago

Hearing Schultz was to be placed on IR with a 3rd degree sprain of his give-a-shit. Still expected to play 20 mins tomorrow afternoon.

3. RexLibris says:

In terms of Schultz’s value, I wonder if Chiarelli could delay the return by a year to get a better pick or make the pick conditional on the actions of the acquiring team, ie: 5th rounder becomes 4th if they make the playoffs, 3rd if they progress; or 5th rounder becomes 2nd if they re-sign him before July 1st.

4. leadfarmer says:

There is no showcasing Schultz. At best you get a 3rd round pick if you retain 50%.

5. Mr DeBakey says:

Those scouts

Nick Beverkey? Who they kiddin?

“Scout-Carolina Dave Hunter” – Are they referring to a large one-time Boy on the Bus?

And Tom Watt is, I assume, the former U of T headman.

6. Younger Oil says:

“It looks to me as though the Edmonton Oilers had someone interested in Justin Schultz.”

FIFY

7. leadfarmer says:

At least TMac pulled the plug on the game early and kept the top line off the ice. Less than 15 min for hall and Purcell. 13 min for Drai. Best to save them for tomorrow.

8. BONVIE says:

That’s the vultures circling the dying waiting to pick off the bones of the weak and desperate.

9. Klima's_Bucket says:

The Islanders got thumped today too.
    Should be two pissed off teams tomorrow.

10. cabbiesmacker says:

I’d like to see the list of narcolepsy specialists there to do field research as well. Schultz is the ideal specimen.

11. Younger Oil says:

I would be shocked if any of the teams scouting the game this afternoon traded for Schultz. Absolutely floored. He was atrocious.

12. BONVIE says:

I’m watching the Leafs their Defense is still worse than ours.

13. judgedrude says:

RexLibris,

Or maybe we could do something inventive for the Chia pick. Schultz and our (high) 3rd or 4th for a late second.

14. rich says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    I don’t care if they use the Eakins way, or the McLellan way.

This. Really don’t care to see him on the ice again. He needs a change of scenery. The fans need someone, anyone else.

Just put us out of our misery.

Jim Matheson ‏@NHLbyMatty 1h1 hour ago

If Chiarelli has been working phones trying to deal Schultz, Sat. showing vs Habs won’t help one bit. Should be healthy scratch vs Isles

16. blainer says:

I would actually be happy for us to give up OUR third to trade Jultz.

17. leadfarmer says:

The thing is if you are showcasing Schultz you should know that special teams is not the way to do it. Yet we are doing it.

18. JDï™ says:

He really should plead the fifth.

19. BONVIE says:

This whole showcasing excuse doesn’t make much sense to me, I just don’t buy it. I mean it’s not like every single NHL game isn’t readily available to every organization. It’s not like a scout is gonna sit at one game and tell the organization what Justin Schultz is all about. I mean sure in person you get to see a bit more of what the player does away from the play, but you pretty much see everything via the camera.

We should have fired McTavish, then maybe he could have got hired in another organization and he would have made sure at least one team was in the bidding. Plus I always felt if McT was run out of town maybe shamed a bit at an outgoing press conference that somehow someway Dubnyk would have come home to resign.

20. Bad Seed says:

Chia is probably mulling over all the offers. I mean how many times does a Norris calibre defenceman come available anyway?

21. blainer says:

Showcasing Shultz at the expense of losing is just plain wrong.

Like Gagner Shultz will be out of the NHL this time next year. I seriously doubt he is even an AHL level player.

I am sounding like a broken record here lately but aren’t we suppose to have a competent coach and GM ?

Also as I said a few posts ago .. it won’t be long before we are all pissed at Yak again as he does not get a good center to play with.

I was done with him long ago.. even before Jultz.

22. frjohnk says:

Playoff hockey is tight and very few mistakes are made by teams.

Schultz is high event in his own zone and for an offensive D man has only shown a few flashes this year.

Unless a prospective playoff team is desperate or wants to hit the links early with a good golfer

Id be surprised if Schultz is traded this season.

blainer:
    Showcasing Shultz at the expense of losing is just plain wrong.

Also as I said a few posts ago .. it won’t be long before we are all pissed at Yak again as he does not geta good center to play with.

I was done with him long ago.. even before Jultz.

24. blainer says:

On a positive note today..

I was gonna fly from the rock to Montreal this morning to watch the game and then fly home tonight but got caught up with a business commitment and couldn’t go. .. Whew.. I would have been pissed if I had to take in that game today..

Its probably in Chia’s DNA to wait as long as possible to try to get the highest price possible for any trade.

In this case he just needs to take the first offer, no matter how low.

Addition by subtraction.

26. Water Fire says:

So maybe Connor needs guys who can keep up with him but also be strong in the other aspects of the game.

Anybody looks a genius playing with a superstar. The point is the superstar needs help and Pouliot and Eberle are Pale Shelter.

27. blainer says:

Lowetide: I don’t think Schultz was the sole reason they lost, but do believe others in his role would give them a better chance to win.

This is very true. It was a team loss today. There was one shift that I saw Sekera chasing everyone and was 100% out of position for almost an entire shift.

28. Psyche says:

LT, I want to believe. Unfortunately it looks more like they believe he is a quality option and less like a showcase. Because Oilers.

Also, he needs to sit tomorrow – being held accountable for his actions today – which would make sense. Showcase or not.

For this team to turn the corner they need to string together common sense decisions. Showcasing an underperforming player, if that is the case, sends the wrong message to this young and improving team.

29. BONVIE says:

I still believe Shultz was never given the chance to succeed except for the time period when he played beside Klefbom who was a very inexperienced player at the time but one of the first guys the Oilers employed who worried about their own end first. To me Gryba Davidson or Rheinhart as his partner would make some sense, but partners like Nurse and Hunt just blow me away just makes no sense. Sekera is the first Veteran they brought in that is actually dependable the rest were absolute drags, and did nothing to help young guys play at their best.

I guess the best thing Chiralli has done this year is to play the best defenders and disregard wether they were high paid veterans and bury them if they couldn’t defend.

30. LadiesloveSmid says:

you can’t showcase a player that can’t handle important minutes. He’s a nothing player and you do nothing but hurt the team by over playing him. Lack of awareness on full display tonight, if anything it hurt his value. Dump him for anything.

31. LadiesloveSmid says:

and boy I like(d) Scrivens as a person but how dare you drop a season like he did and then call out the organization for demoting him. He did a horrendous job in the minors, too. Seems like a nice guy, but you have to be some kind of entitled to do your job that poorly for that long and call out your superiors for taking action

32. admiralmark says:

My question is how and why is it taking this organization such an incredible amount of time.. And I mean years! To assess what Schultz is. They must really love the way he practices? Its been baffling for a solid 2 years now.

admiralmark:

34. Psyche says:

They have him surrounded ten times over. Lol. It’s like Tambellini is behind the curtain still assessing.

35. BONVIE says:

Lowetide: Peter Chiarelli has been here less than a year, I believe they have him surrounded.

36. Water Fire says:

We have no idea what is happening behind scenes. If Shirley was to trade now to appease our horror at past incompetence we’d be buying tar for that too. It’s his job to maximize value, there is no rush for this season, but it just could be a dead market as it has been. That is most likely the problem.

Even if they could make the playoffs, if something done now would jeopardize that but seem a certainty to improve the odds next year, because even if they got in this year they’d get smoked, you have to go for next year.

What can be hoped for now is good decisions by people who KNOW what they are doing. We won’t find out for a couple of months and years.

37. Water Fire says:

BONVIE: Again couldn’t they have handed him 160 game tapes from the last two seasons and tell Chiralli here is your Edmontom Oilers.

Sure but he has to direct them personally to see if there is a player there or somebody else’s coaching mistakes and hate of sideburns.

IF the league was fluid in player movement then a box of digitalized analogue info might be enough. As it stands finding a few players already there jumps the thing ahead. Like Davie.

38. sliderule says:

This game was a team effort.

Davidson several weak clearing attempts that resulted in turnovers.

Hall coasting back and allowing a goal from slot

Schultz skating into corner but in fairness Nillson encouraged the play.

Kassian weakly following Gilbert to net.,Goal.

Yakupov circling around like a chicken who has just lost his head.

If you just try to pin it on your favourite scapegoat you miss the big picture.There was no defensive effort.It probably makes your Corsi better when you push hard in offensive zone and forget to give backpressure and Habs only need one shot for a goal.

39. admiralmark says:

I don’t know much but I do know that winning organizations are capable of assessing players prior to their values hitting rock bottom.This organization seems to prefer the same method i used with my 1986 honda civic. Don’t sell it, just drive it right into the ground.

If you cant even assess a player that is in your fold and you see day in day out. What are the chances you are going to be able to acquire properly assessed talent from other teams? I get Chiarelli hasnt been around ok. But Howson/MacT/Lowe better not be considered capable of giving any valuable advice in relation to defenceman anymore.

admiralmark: I guess I always assumed that a professional organizations would be better at assessing their players then I am. I absolutely do not consider myself a capable Pro scout. And yet I had the book on this player a long time ago. This is both aggravating and disconcerting.

41. Water Fire says:

Water Fire:

Brent Callighen, Dave Lumley, and Blair MacDonald (for Gretzky) and Wendal Young (for Mario) were more than good enough.

admiralmark:

Don Meehan is a really powerful person in the NHL.

44. Water Fire says:

Water Fire: To me their issues were more about how they ‘felt’ about people rather than a pure performance judgement.

Sam Gagner was clear as day to me by year three at least. It was obvious Cogliano wasn’t a scorer soon in. It’s pretty clear – if players aren’t showing signs of growth all the time from the beginning it’s not there at the highest level of comp. They are role players at best. That is fine if that’s your plan for them. As far as Yak goes it isn’t there, if I had an decent offer I’d take it. If Connor McDavid can’t clear his head nothing can.

45. Psyche says:

McLellan is a good NHL coach, based on his record in San Jose. Where he had a load of talented players (all of whom could shave). Talent makes or breaks the perceived value of a coach.

I’m not familiar with the Oilers asst coaches. But I assume there is one responsible for the D corps. His opinion will carry favour with the head coach. We have to assume he is a favourite of employing Schultz. His confidence in assessing and teaching will be high after working with the talented D corps of the Sharks.

There is also one asst coach responsible for the PP. Which coincidentally spiked once 19 yr old Connor returned to play. He will also be flooded with confidence from his days in San Jose.

Talent changes our perception of these coaches. Which likely means they aren’t much better than others, just have been with the right team at the right time more often than other colleagues.

46. Water Fire says:

godot10: Tikkanen and Kurri could be McDavid’s wingers, and it wouldn’t help unless the defense is fixed first.

I don’t think you can separate defense from forwards. The game isn’t that static. The old timey OIlers were thought to have a shitty defense at the time as well by everybody not on the team at least.

When the team committed to D is when they won. At Sather’s thing somebody mentioned they didn’t try at D at all till the playoffs and that certainly after they realized they couldn’t blitz the Islanders discipline.

The Oilers need a few better D IMO for sure, but having two rookie centres and two half shitty centres and wingers who don’t do anything consistently is a bigger problem. It’s the big problem.

The D cannot make those mistakes go away. Suter plays nearly half the game and is a top 3 defensive defenseman in a defensive system and they are losing. It’s a team game. Doughty doesn’t make the Kings win as much as would expect playing and hour and a half a game. With Quick in net.

Interestingly for me, asked if I though the Oilers would beat the Habs I thought no because of the mobility of their defense. No time and space for Connor & Co., and they weren’t going to grind out a possession game.

47. Samson Loveblast says:

godot10: Don Meehan is a really powerful person in the NHL.

Are you saying his agent could be forcing this? How would he?

Re. Chia showcasing..We’ll know if he’s being showcased tomorrow, if he plays then he must be, because that performance today was worthy of being benched.

48. admiralmark says:

Lowetide: That assumes they are willing to forego due diligence and see if Todd McLellan can unlock him. Look, I decided on Schultz long ago, but has he had a coach the calibre of McLellan this year?

I quit being surprised by the gaffs of Schultz on the ice a long time ago. In fact i’m astonished by his good plays. What remains baffling is how this team remains hell bent on staying the course? Regardless of who wears the coach title. This smells like micro management to me. They worked sooooo hard on getting him. Come hell or high water were gonna make a defenseman out of him!

I agree withe Sliderule and many here that are stating it was a team loss.. It was. But its beyond belief how often Schultz is a common denominator when it comes to who was the worst player contributing to game losses.

49. Professor Q says:

Water Fire: Sam Gagner was clear as day to me by year three at least. It was obvious Cogliano wasn’t a scorer soon in. It’s pretty clear – if players aren’t showing signs of growth all the time from the beginning it’s not there at the highest level of comp. They are role players at best. That is fine if that’s your plan for them.As far as Yak goes it isn’t there, if I had an decent offer I’d take it. If Connor McDavid can’t clear his head nothing can.

Cogs turned it around eventually, though. Elsewhere, but still.

50. Pouzar says:

Condors look they have their skating legs tonight. Much better effort thus far.
    Liking Marco with Slepy.

51. Water Fire says:

I was just thinking, Brandon Davidson had all the same coaching over the years, a disadvantaged start, cancer, and is KICKING ASS.

It’s up to the individual to succeed. They have to choose it, hard. Every day.

52. Professor Q says:

admiralmark: Here’s a question: When was the last time Schultz has been scratched due to poor play? Ever? Maybe i missed it? Or ask yourself how many games you’ve witnessed that Schultz was deserving of being benched in the past 3 years? Coach after coach Schultz gets a pass on horrendous play. I don’t get it. Why is the answer keep playing him. Why is the answer keep him on the 1st PP unit?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player played as much as Schultz without retribution for constant mistakes and holes in their play. Never punished.

His half-AHL season really impressed the Oilers organisation for years to come…

Maybe Luke Schenn. But he eventually was thrust out.

53. Water Fire says:

Professor Q: Cogs turned it around eventually, though. Elsewhere, but still.

He did, but as a checker. He was drafted first round, and didn’t want to move to wing in Edmonton. Why I mentioned that’s ok if it’s in the plan but Edmonton wanted him to be offensive to match his pedigree.

54. Professor Q says:

Psyche:

So…Nelson may have been the better deal than McLellan, you might say?

55. Pouzar says:

Goddamn dat Winquist.

Gorgeous snipe on the PP

56. dustrock says:

Never seen anything like it. He must have some great pix of Katz.

57. Pouzar says:

Slepy draws a penalty after a series of dangles. He looks fantastic tonight.

end of 1

1-0 Condors

58. Psyche says:

Professor Q,

I haven’t looked at how Nelson ran the D corps, but he sure did run an effective PP from what I recall.

59. Pouzar says:

Guys. The Oilers are last in D scoring. It’s the D. Period. Paragraph.

60. fifthcartel says:

Davidson trails Schultz by 2 points and that’s with significantly less power play time.

61. Pouzar says:

I am drunk.

That gorgeous snipe was KLINK!!!!!!!!!!

1-0 Condors.

I am not actually drunk. That’s tomorrow night.

62. Pouzar says:

ANTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From Khaira

2-0

63. Pouzar says:

Khaira with his 2nd primary asst tonight.

Sets up Slepy on 2 on 1

64. Pouzar says:

Gazdic grabs the secondary apple.

65. Klima's_Bucket says:

Pouzar: Guys. The Oilers are last in D scoring. It’s the D. Period. Paragraph.

What’s the solution??

MOAR SCHULTZ!!!

66. Pouzar says:

Gazdic rips one low blocker side on the 2 on 1.

Wow.

3-0

67. BONE207 says:

Hey Gang…I was painting a house today and did it with the anticipation of watching a good game on the PVR tonight. Hah!! I came here first to see if that was safe. Gilbert scores his first this decade, Scrivens wins his first since being traded and Connor doesn’t get a point? I guess it’s beer and a movie on TV …oh, and delete that recorded program. *Passes out on couch*

68. Genjutsu says:

I was at the game this afternoon. I have to say I was a huge fan of the player and defended him and his contact long past when a reasonable person would have conceded.

It’s like he’s taken a heavy dose of benadryl.

It’s so frustrating to behold because of all the things he can do so well.

I’m not certain he won’t become a legit top 4 D.

I have become certain he won’t do it as an Oiler.

69. Gret99zky says:

Is there an example of a successful “pump & dump” executed by this organization in the last 10 losing seasons?

70. Pouzar says:

Bakersfield Condors ‏@Condors 33s34 seconds ago
    CONDORS GOAL!!!!!!!! BURRITOSSSSSSS!!!! Slepyshev again. It’s 4-0 home team with 6 min. to go in the 2nd. #Condorstown

Man I hope he sticks around. I hate you Yakimov!

71. Genjutsu says:

BONE207:

There’s a Connor dangle that’s worth the pain of watching the rest of the debackle for. He came close to doing something that had even the habs fans in awe and wonder.

I heard on of them say that they wanted him to bury that just so they could say they were there when he did it.

He’s worth watching for.

72. Water Fire says:

Pouzar:
    Bakersfield Condors ‏@Condors33s34 seconds ago

Man I hope he sticks around. I hate you Yakimov!

73. fifthcartel says:

Is Winquist scratched tonight?

With Klinkhammer and Gazdic down there they really need to loan or trade some of these guys so they can see what they have in the few prospects they have. Fleming playing Klinkhammer/Ford/Gazdic/ isn’t surprising since he’s going to try and win and get a nice record but it’s just so detrimental to the organization and I thought with Chiarelli here that might change.

74. Pouzar says:

Water Fire: This is exciting, but if Gazdic and Klink light it up we must remember that Sleps and Khaira are not locks to score enough. Here’s hoping.

Khaira and Slepy are NHLers now imo. I hope Slepy hangs around.

75. HeavySig says:

I hate to say this, but I expected them to stink today. If you flew me into Montreal on Friday night when I was in my 20’s and still single, expecting a decent effort out of me on Saturday, you would have been in for a major disappointment.

See every Eskimo road trip though Montreal for evidence.

76. Pouzar says:

Marco Roy with a nice game tonight. 4 shots 1 A

77. wheatnoil says:

Gazdic with two points! He keeps this up, he’ll fetch more at the deadline than Schultz!

78. Oilanderp says:

Oh those Oilers!

79. JDï™ says:

Klima’s_Bucket: MOAR SCHULTZ!!!

His game is offensive.

80. JDï™ says:

Gret99zky: pump & dump

They couldn’t even pump Pronger. Pronger?!!

81. Gret99zky says:

And the Flames win.

Perfect ending to Tabernac Saturday.

82. BONVIE says:

Pouzar: Khaira and Slepy are NHLers now imo. I hope Slepy hangs around.

I agree with Khaira but I have Kessey and Winquist ahead of Slepshev on performance. Its too bad Yakimov could not have stuck around im sure as a center he would have been called up by now.

I seen Musil must have got the short strawed and got paired up with the Double Agent Nikita Nikitin. Thats really unfortunate for him, thats alot to compensate for.

83. Gret99zky says:

What are the reasonable expectations in a Jultz trade?

84. Professor Q says:

Gret99zky:
    And the Flames win.

Perfect ending to Tabernac Saturday.

Ah, but the Canucks lose.

85. Johnny Larue says:

This team is so infuranting they look fantastic one day and bums the next. Jultz needs to go addition by subtraction I am still optimistic that we are not that far off Oscar is not that far away and once we have are full team back we are so very close. If we can get Harmonic without giving up any key pieces get rid of Jultz and korp I think we are there .

86. hunter1909 says:

Genjutsu: Watched our man Justin play a real disinterested game. He seems in a fog out there. Like he’s half a second behind reality.
    It’s like he’s taken a heavy dose of benadryl.

It must wear on a player to play in the NHL, simultaneously meeting Katz’s expectations while wearing a giant bunny suit.

87. spoiler says:

Listening to McLellan’s post game…

No sustain.

Lethargic. Too comfortable.

88. Johnny skid says:

Gret99zky:
    What are the reasonable expectations in a Jultz trade?

the team improves.

89. Frank the dog says:

Genjutsu,

Benadryl or something else? Is every player tested for substances in the NHL or do they have to get caught first?

90. Frank the dog says:

Were the team to sustain the prior two victories for the rest of the season, Chia would have to trade, he’d have Tier 1 UFA’s lining up at the door at competitive prices, and if he did trade I would be on his terms, he’d be on everyone’s preferred destination list.

91. frjohnk says:

Yesterday’s Showcasing of Schultz was not unlike a realtor having an open house except a wild fire ran through town and the Schultz house was burnt to the ground.

And it wasn’t just the Schultz house, many houses in town were burnt to some degree.

While some houses are potentially on the market, the Schultz house was the only one that was being showcased.

Might be tough to move that Schultz property.

92. Acumen says:

My problem with Schultz, especially this year, is that there isn’t any positive to his game. His offense, his only redeeming quality, has vanished.

I honestly don’t expect him to have a place anywhere in the NHL in 3 years time. If we can get anything for him, pull the trigger. Even a 4th. He isn’t contributing anything at all to this team, and he is hurting us.

93. russ99 says:

Acumen:

Ask yourself why that is?

Every strength Schultz has is being coached out of this team:

No carrying the puck on the rush, dump it in when we get the zone, shoot from the point instead of carry the puck to create space. Plus he’s the last man to leave the D-zone and the first man in.

McLellan has turned him into a defensive defenseman. Even Eakins at the height of his “we’re going to play this way” madhouse didn’t do this.

He’s basically playing every game where his weakest assets are in full display and has little possibility to show his strengths,

No wonder his confidence is rock bottom.

I just hope whoever we trade him to realizes what he’s good at and what he’s not. Give the guy a rock solid veteran partner and some free rein in the neutral/o-zones and hel’ll reach his potential.

94. Hope is a good thing says:

Considering we have all arrived at the same (basically) conclusion about Schultz, and many would accept virtually any offer for Schultz, the fact he continues to play big minutes in all situations would lead one towards the conclusion there may actually be something/someone of real value being offered in a potential, pending trade. I believe it’s close.

95. theres oil in virginia says:

spoiler:
    Listening to McLellan’s post game…

No sustain.

Lethargic.Too comfortable.

You must mean that he was referring all of those characteristics solely to Schultz. I hear that he is the only reason the Oilers ever get scored on.

96. hags9k says:

Acumen,

I disagree, he is really good at waiting with the puck behind our net during a change and acting very calm about it, like the puck isn’t even there. When it comes to looking poised behind the net, tops in the league.

See photo above: vintage Schultz.

97. theres oil in virginia says:

I guess nobody remembers how much of a defensive liability Mike Green was for much of his career (and may still be for all I know, I haven’t seen the guy play the last couple of years). He was worse than Schultz. There was a youtube video mocking him, showing a two-on-one that he was “defending” that was as bad as the infamous Sanchez butt-fumble. But, he was good offensively, and with that team, he racked up the points. Now, people right here on this comment board have clamored for the Oilers to sign him, while concurrently ripping Schultz apart.

I’m not going to argue that Schultz hasn’t been a disappointment, because he has. So has Yakupov, Lander, and so have other Oilers. However, he is far from the only reason the Oilers lost to MTL, and he is far from the only reason that they keep such company as they do in the standings.

Nobody mentions this, but the guy who was all over Schultz from the beginning, while everybody else, including me, defended him?…RTB.

I would say that I’ll be happy when Schultz is moved, because then this bullshit will stop, but it won’t. It will just shift to the next scapegoat as long as the Oilers are basement-dwellers.

As an aside, LT, I can’t make any sense out of the blog post last night. You contend that they are showcasing him, but the only evidence you give is TOI, which, as you say, doesn’t indicate that they are showcasing him. What am I missing?

I’m awful crotchety this morning. Maybe I just need to go irish with my coffee! 🙂

98. Klima's_Bucket says:

I vowed I wouldn’t watch an Oilers game with Andrew Ference in the lineup.
    But Connor McDavid.
    Now I’m having the same dilemma with Justin Schultz.
    Because: Connor McDavid.
    I call it the unstoppable force immovable object dilemma.

99. Pouzar says:

BONVIE: Kessey and Winquist ahead of Slepshev on performance

Slepy eats their lunch in terms of talent/skill. It’s whether or not he wants to bring it every game which I have not seen from him yet. My gut tells me he goes back to Russia.