G55 2015-16: OILERS AT DEVILS

The Edmonton Oilers reach G55 for the season in familiar territory: Back of the line, waiting for the lottery balls. Although the playoffs remain a distant bell, there are jobs to play for and a strong effort might get them a table in the second row on draft day. I think it is important for the Oilers to push—they did last season when other teams were selling off their best goalies—but at this point I think we are probably looking at a top-five selection at the 2015 draft. As the daylight begins to stay longer, this blog will begin the transition toward the draft and summer.

JURASSIC PARK, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2014: 4-5-1
  • Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0
  • Oilers in November 2014: 2-9-3
  • Oilers in November 2015: 4-7-2
  • Oilers in December 2014: 2-8-4
  • Oilers in December 2015: 7-6-1
  • Oilers in January 2015: 5-7-1
  • Oilers in January 2016: 4-5-2
  • Oilers in February 2015: 5-6-1
  • Oilers in February 2016: 2-2-0
  • Oilers after 54 in 2014-15: 15-30-9, 39 points (-56 GD)
  • Oilers after 54 in 2015-16: 21-28-5, 47 points (-29 GD)

A year ago, Edmonton lost by a goal to the NY Islanders, Colin McDonald playing one of the best games of his NHL career. Todd Nelson’s crew went 5-6-1 in this month, Todd McLellan’s group is 2-2-0 with a schedule that could deliver any score you could imagine. The Edmonton Oilers, at this point, are like a box of chocolates—you never know what you are going to get.

DEFENSE, 2015-16

OILERS DEFENSE OVER SEASON

• Brandon Davidson, Oscar Klefbom and Eric Gryba are all over 50 percent Corsi, and the two youngsters are playing in the toughest situations (according to the Vollman Sledgehammer). Gryba is playing in the softer situations and delivering over 50 percent in possession, lots of chatter about trading him at the deadline. Do NHL teams trade for Gryba’s when Fayne’s are available? Fayne plays the tough minutes and his possession is basically 50 percent. He does NOT bring the offense, but neither does Gryba. If an NHL team is scouting the Oilers available D (Fayne, Schultz, Gryba by my estimate) can there be any doubt about who is getting the good reports?
  • Andrej Sekera is the big hit by Chiarelli from last summer’s attempt to help the defense. I like his offense, like him with the puck on his stick and he is a smart defender. I don’t know what the summer will bring, but would hope Sekera, Klefbom and Davidson are part of the team moving forward. Now, about the other four men.
  • Darnell Nurse was going to make this team last fall, I don’t think many of us were fooled by the Nikitin’s, Ference’s and Hunt’s. I assume he will be part of the seven defenders opening night 2016, meaning that there are (probably) three spots open.
  • Mark Fayne would be a solid part of next year’s team, I have zero problem with him alongside Sekera and he could also be effective on the third pair. It is my hope the Oilers either trade him now or happily enter the fall with him in the top six.
  • If the above is right, we have: Sekera—Fayne; Klefbom—Davidson; Nurse. If you add Travis Hamonic and Jason Demers, is that enough? It would be an improvement.

davidson ferguson

GET GOOD PLAYERS, KEEP GOOD PLAYERS

• Is Peter Chiarelli shopping for one addition, or two? Is that second addition Sami Vatanen? One thing I see already from some blogs is the idea that Edmonton needs to add a Hamonic and a Vatanen in the same offseason. Two things: Very difficult to do, and if you are going to add those two pieces the chances of retaining the forwards intact is zero.
  • I think the best plan now is to take that lottery pick—say No. 3 overall—and trade it with something else for Hamonic and the Islanders first-round pick. So, the deal might be Puljujarvi and something for Travis Hamonic and No. 22 overall. Not Brandon Davidson, but someone in the range of the defensive prospects below him. Does that work?
  • One reason I think the Oilers should think about trading the pick? The bonus numbers in the contracts of Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl and Griffin Reinhart are substantial, adding another one for Puljujarvi means a lot of dollars tied up. I would rather see a more veteran group, possibly a team with only one or two (Brossoit, Slepyshev) rookies.
  • Griffin Reinhart’s bonus dollars may mean another half season in the minors, and it is possible PC moves away from him based on the endless lefties on the roster.

CENTERS, 2015-16

oilers centers over season

• It will hurt me badly to see this trio broken up, this is the kind of quality/depth at center we talked about in the early part of the century.
  • IF the Oilers decide they have to offload a winger, Leon can move to RW. I really like the depth these three men represent, and would be fine with Letestu as 4C. Don’t know where that puts Lander but it is not a good place.

WINGERS, 2015-16

oil forwards over season

• Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Benoit Pouliot, Nail Yakupov, Matt Hendricks, Zack Kassian, Iiro Pakarinen and Lauri Korpikoski won’t all be back, but I like most of them. Pains me to say one of the Finns has irritated me all year. ALL YEAR.
  • At even strength among wingers, Hall, Purcell, Pouliot, Eberle and Yakupov have been productive offensively. Yak will fall below 1.50/60 soon, but that is not his fault. Iiro Pakarinen has done quite a bit with not a lot.
  • Gotta say, I really like these wingers overall. Even Slepyshev had some moments.

slepy capture

POSSIBLE 2016-17 LINEUP

• Goal (2): Cam Talbot, Laurent Brossoit (rookie).
  • Defense (7): Andrej Sekera—Travis Hamonic; Oscar Klefbom—Jason Demers; Darnell Nurse—Brandon Davidson; Eric Gryba.
  • Center (5) Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Mark Letestu, Anton Lander.
  • Left Wing (5): Taylor Hall, Benoit Pouliot, Zack Kassian, Lauri Korpikoski, Anton Slepyshev (rookie).
  • Right Wing (4): Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov, Matt Hendricks, Iiro Pakarinen.

One big trade (Hamonic) and free-agent pickup (Demers) and asking two rookies (Brossoit and Slepyshev) to join the chorus. The Hall and McDavid clusters are intact (well, the McDavid cluster takes another draft day hit) and you have two solid additions on defense. This assumes things like Mark Fayne is traded and they don’t re-sign Lennart Petrell.

The RW depth chart looks a little thin, but if Yakupov struggles, Todd McLellan can slide Leon over or he can move Zack Kassian up. This is a pretty sweet forward group, I would suggest moving out Korpikoski but suspect they are stuck. The good thing? Should mean Pakarinen or another swoops in and grabs that job before season’s end.

I cannot imagine the Oilers are in on this, Phaneuf is having a good year but is not getting the toughest assignments. His contract remains an albatross.

MCKENZIE MID-SEASON LIST

I love the McKenzie lists, these are extreme value. The final 30 will be different—Euros come flying in like hell won’t have it—but here are some interesting tidbits I saw from the list:

• D Charles McAvoy at No. 14. Very difficult to gauge offense for young NCAA blue (Hanifin, Zach Werenski a year ago) but his point-per-game (.538) is shy of Werenski (.714) and Hanifin (.621). McAvoy is also a 1997 (December) so is not especially young compared to last year’s duo.
  • R Alex DeBrincat at No. 30. I have him at No. 8 and for me a guy who has 38 goals in 41 OHL games has to be high on the list. If that is the actual spot he is taken (No. 30), Oilers need to trade up. His kind of skill would translate extremely well with Edmonton’s top C’s.
  • G Carter Hart at No. 35. Goalies are tough to suss out, I like him more than 35. Could the Oilers solve their goalie issues in the second round?
  • D Cam Dineen, who I have at No. 23, is not on the BM list. Will have to track back and see what I am missing.

truth

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy day, Oilers and CFL FA. 10 this morning, TSN1260, scheduled to appear:

• Jonathan Willis, Cult of Hockey. We will discuss the Oilers at the deadline.
  • Andrew Bucholtz, 55-Yard Line. CFL Free Agency, Eskimos have some nice things to lose here.
  • Dave Jamieson, TSN1260. More CFL FA, suspect by 11 we will know some destinations.
  • Pending guests. Could go any number of ways, depending on what has happened this morning.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

556 Responses to "G55 2015-16: OILERS AT DEVILS"

« Older Comments
  1. The Trade Guy says:

The Oilers had their loss all scripted out and the Jersey guy misses the whole cage lol.

2. Professor Q says:

Imagine if they had replacement pucks to be thrown in, like replacement soccer balls? Except no delay of game?

3. G Money says:

I used to think that the one redeeming quality to Korpikoski’s game is that he can PK, but he was fucking terrible.

It’s really something when a player makes you pine for the return of Lander.

4. Centre of attention says:

Joesephson just Patrick Stephan’d it.

5. The Trade Guy says:

ah there it is.

6. The Trade Guy says:

Do whatever you gotta do PC. My heart is ready.

7. square_wheels says:

Wow exciting day, Trump and Bernie won, Dion driving his Miata over to Ottawa and the Oilers defence still sucks.

What did I miss ?

8. jzed says:

Too bad we couldn’t keep Davidson Gryba out for the whole PK

9. Ice Sage says:

Wow.
    The Oilers are bad and sad – can’t win a puck battle anywhere.

10. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Wow has the PK been pathetic lately. They were on a roll before the ASB but man o man has it been ugly since

11. square_wheels says:

And LA reminding the Bruins what a juggernaut the western conference is. Can’t imagine what an Islanders level beating would look like if our road trip was a B2B in Ana and LA.

Oilers will one day win these games, but they simply don’t play smart. Hall takes a selfish penalty and now we are in real trouble. NJD win tonight, but really Edmonton beating itself.

13. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Hall, smarten the fuck up

14. Centre of attention says:

Garbage call….

15. The Trade Guy says:

haha thats a terrible penalty

16. Professor Q says:

I feel bad for Lowetide tonight as well.

His Bruins are pulling an Oilers over in Los Angeles.

17. Zelepukin says:

The Trade Guy:
    haha thats a terrible penalty

A bad habit he needs to break and I expect a call almost every time he does it.

18. jzed says:

Remanda has forgotten that the hack on the stick is an Oiler exclusive penalty, just watch all the lumber McDavid takes whenever he’s near the puck, penalty is a sad, infuriating joke , because NHL

19. Centre of attention says:

Stick on stick is fine, as long as the opponent doesn’t drop it or it breaks.

First time I’ve seen that called. usually one of the things I mentioned above happens.

20. LoDog says:

Um really need there to be less than 5 goals now.

And is it really always a slash when you dont break the stick? Is this something I missed?

Professor Q:
    I feel bad for Lowetide tonight as well.

His Bruins are pulling an Oilers over in Los Angeles.

Meh. I am a very lucky man, despite my dreadful choices in favorite teams.

22. stush18 says:

I do not like letestu on the pk. Too reactive, isn’t reading the play.

23. Water Fire says:

Time to grow up Young Gunz. Checkers gets boring after 400 games.

24. Professor Q says:

Lowetide: Meh. I am a very lucky man, despite my dreadful choices in favorite teams.

Indeed, Sir. And cheers to that, I say!

25. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

He two handed the guy five feet from a ref. It wasn’t controversial at all it was a blatant slash

26. G Money says:

jzed,

I watched in slo-mo and it didn’t look like it ever even hit the stick – which presumably is why it didn’t break.

That was an Oiler-exclusive “attempted slashing” call I guess.

27. sliderule says:

Hall has to go back to grade school.

Shooting puck over boards from own end penalty.

Swinging your stick like a golf driver is a penalty.

Less pouting more reading rules

28. stush18 says:

Zelepukin: A bad habit he needs to break and I expect a call almost every time he does it.

Agreed. We get biased as oilers fans but hall is pretty vicious on his slashes. He gets away with them because he usually doesn’t break the stick, but it’s a penalty all day.

29. Ice Sage says:

Hey, game within reach in the third!
    Sunny days

and whats with all the empty seats? Yeah, I didn’t care a lot for Brodeur either

30. Centre of attention says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:

He two-handed HIS STICK

That is well within the rules. Unless your an Oiler.

Hall is mad, sure. But that is a bullshit call.

31. G Money says:

Scrivens with his third terrific game, and win, in a row.

32. Zelepukin says:

jzed:

The thing is that when Hall hacks he does it emphatically. Usually with a huge backswing. He doesn’t hide it nor does he pick his spots. He’ll do it from very far away.

33. Dr. Taboggan says:

The Oilers really need an exorcism.

34. JDï™ says:

G Money:
    Scrivens with his third terrific game, and win, in a row.

Priceless…

35. Centre of attention says:

Nice icing, Schultz.

Ooops, I mean Clendenning.

Thats three times tonight.

36. Ice Sage says:

Dr. Taboggan:
    The Oilers really need an exorcism.

They need some smart pills

37. Zelepukin says:

jesus christ, McD is on the ice, pass him the puck.

38. jake70 says:

Pak hit the net. Nice.

39. G Money says:

To be clear:

Slashing the stick is a penalty.

By the rulebook, an attempted slash is also a penalty.

However, I have never seen an attempted slash (or any other penalty) called based purely on intent. You can attempt to throw a dirty hit to the head, but if it doesn’t connect, it’ s not a penalty. Ditto for slashing, spearing, boarding, etc.

Unless, of course, you’re an Oiler. Then clearly intent is enough.

That’s what makes it a bullshit call.

40. Zelepukin says:

Yaks is such a tenacious forechecker. Doesn’t get enough credit for it.

41. Centre of attention says:

G Money:
    To be clear:

Slashing the stick is a penalty.

By the rulebook, an attempted slash is also a penalty.

However, I have never seen an attempted slash (or any other penalty) called based purely on intent.You can attempt to throw a dirty hit to the head, but if it doesn’t connect, it’ s not a penalty.Ditto for slashing, spearing, boarding, etc.

Unless, of course, you’re an Oiler.Then clearly intent is enough.

That’s what makes it a bullshit call.

This.

Usually if the guy drops his stick or it breaks thats a penalty.

42. Professor Q says:

Ah, so that’s the problem, New Jersey commentators. The Oilers have TOO MUCH talent to be good…

43. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

I absolutely detest the style of hockey the Devils play. (This isn’t just because of the current score either)

44. jzed says:

I Distinctly remember Hall getting a 2 hander that caught some glove, segwayed into a shot of his slick forearm body armor, not into a penalty call. Can’t remember when or who, but I do remember the taste of bile in my mouth

45. stush18 says:

Centre of attention: He two-handed HIS STICK

That is well within the rules. Unless your an Oiler.

Hall is mad, sure. But that is a bullshit call.

Seriously look up the rules.

You don’t even have to connect with player or his stick for a slash to be called.

If you’re upset because those calls are never called against the oilers, or because the timing of the call is out of whack with the game, then fine. But that is a slash by the rule book.

46. Coffeys_Messy_eh says:

Don’t know if anyone’s mentioned it (434 comments!) but has anyone else noticed that Quinn has called McDavid ‘Davidson’ 5 times. Five! I was at the Ottawa game live so it might be more. Quinn can be so desperately annoying at times.

47. Centre of attention says:

stush18: Seriously look up the rules.

I agree, its a call.

But a Bullshit Call.

48. G Money says:

Man, that was an unbelievably horrible sequence.

You gotta give credit to the Devils, though, they play the neutral zone trap better than anyone else, and have for twenty years.

49. Professor Q says:

That should have been an intentional unmooring of the net call on New Jersey.

50. stush18 says:

Coffeys_Messy_eh,

They both are. Apparently Davidson is a much better player than we thought.

51. Centre of attention says:

So I’ve been drinking all night…

If Davidson can excel in the top 4 next season, does that make one of our other top 4 LHD expendable in a trade for a stud Righty?

*hiccup*

52. stush18 says:

Now that is bullshit. That’s happened a couple times to Hendricks.

53. Ice Sage says:

Only a 2-1 loss!!!!!!
    What a team

54. G Money says:

Professor Q:
    That should have been an intentional unmooring of the net call on New Jersey.

That and also a rather blatant slash (did knock the stick out) and interference against Eberle against the wall at 0:52 that kept him from retrieving the puck that was passed up from behind the net.

That’s what’s frustrating. Ticky-tacky bullshit calls against the Oilers (it was actually worse against the Isles I thought), while blatant actual penalties go uncalled.

55. square_wheels says:

A top 5 lottery pick must be worth an NHL top 4 D ?

56. LoDog says:

Eberle’s stick actually slashed out of his hands in the last minute, oh that’s not a call.

57. Centre of attention says:

A 2-1 loss, but a much better effort.

They beat themselves with the special teams [I called it early in the thread] but its progress.

I expect a thorough thrashing of the Leafs on Thursday.

58. Professor Q says:

Oh, wow. I just saw Boucher’s goal and how he crosschecked Nurse afterwards.

59. leadfarmer says:

The Edmonton Oilers all perimeter all the time

60. Gret99zky says:

Last year we were visually better.

This year we are visually improved.

61. stevezie says:

I dunno, I thought that was a pretty good game. For only 20 shots we had somegreat shots and the Devils pbp was singing Hall’s praises all night on both ends.Their goalie and special teams were great. If we were a .500 team these are the games you can accept losing.

Of course, we’re not.

62. Zeabs93 says:

Why the hell wasn’t Yak out there taking that shot instead of fucking Letestu??? Are you fucking kidding me?

Guy with the best one timer on the team is sitting on the bench while Letestu is out there blowing the final shot. Can’t even raise it off the ice, Jesus…

63. square_wheels says:

Centre of attention,

As this is what the Leafs would like, this is likely another loss for us……glass half empty me showing up again.

64. Dicky94 says:

Zeabs93,

He is the only guy that can win a face off.

65. BAUCE says:

square_wheels:
    Centre of attention,

What was the score last time the oilers played the leafs?

66. Johnny skid says:

leadfarmer:
    The Edmonton Oilers all perimeter all the time

and kassian is sitting on the bench instead of the front of the net.

67. haters says:

No post game tomorrow LT
    Just a draft piece would be fine.
    Or take the day off. Like the Oilers have the past 3 games.

At least it wasn’t a blow out tonight.

68. jake70 says:

This team is 5 years and 7 months after drafting Hall and are last in the NHL standings.

69. Klima's_Bucket says:

Anyone else see the sequence where Clendening nonchalantly looped back into his own end, then with one hand on his stick stood behind the net. Once he stepped out from behind the net he fired a rocket pass, to the Devils, Talbot then makes a save to bail him out, Clendening then skates the puck up ice and stops just shy of centre before lofting the puck for icing.

My wife (who barely ever watches) watched that sequence.

Her comment.

” I thought you said they scratched Schultz.”

I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry.
    So I did both.

70. LoDog says:

Seriously fuck you NHL and this bullshit.

I hope the oilers win 2 of the 3 draft lotteries and the giant pile of dog shit that you are disintegrates into the ether.

Joke of a league.

Imagine how mad I would be if I lost the over under as well. 🙂

71. Dicky94 says:

haters,

It better be a Sail On piece.

72. fifthcartel says:

Bakersfield Condors ‏@Condors 2h2 hours ago
    FORWARDS:
    Klinkhammer – Khaira – Miller
    Hamilton – McRae – Pitlick
    Ford – Roy – Slepyshev
    Gazdic – Currie – Kessy

So 2 prospects playing (Khaira/Slepyshev). That’s nuts.

73. BAUCE says:

jake70:

Major changes need to happen. Major. The time for half measures and plugging leaks is far gone.

74. Zeabs93 says:

Dicky94:
    Zeabs93,

He is the only guy that can win a face off.

That’s fair. So win the draw, then hop off the ice and let a player with some semblance of skill out there. I realize Yak hasn’t had a great year but I’d much rather have him on the ice shooting the puck in that situation than friggin Letestu.

75. unca miltie says:

10 years is a long time. Having said that. When was the last time Oilers scored with goalie out. Flames seem to do it regularly.

76. Centre of attention says:

I would keep Gryba and do this.

Klefbom-NewGuy
    Sekera-Fayne
    Davidson-Gryba

I Seriously doubt Peter can get two RH additions, and I’m completely OK with only one addition as long as its quality and isn’t a massive over pay.

Like, if Fayne is playing with Sekera on your second pair I can live with that.

77. Zelepukin says:

Zeabs93: That’s fair.So win the draw, then hop off the ice and let a player with some semblance of skill out there.I realize Yak hasn’t had a great year but I’d much rather have him on the ice shooting the puck in that situation than friggin Letestu.

Both McD and Hendricks were better in the dots than Latestu this game.

78. Water Fire says:

The Oilers broke the score effect stats!!!!!

79. kinger_OIL says:

Centre of attention:
    I would keep Gryba and do this.

Klefbom-NewGuy
    Sekera-Fayne
    Davidson-Gryba

Like, if Fayne is playing with Sekera on your second pair I can live with that.

That’s not enough:

Sekera-NewGuy
    Klef-NewGuy
    Davidson-Fayne

– New guys >- Sekera, one of them that scores please.

– Nurse and Griff can dominate the AHL, and come up when they trade Fayne, injuries, etc

– Won’t happen though, and you are going to be fitting in Davidson/Fayne/Gryba/Nurse/Griff too high up the order

80. Centre of attention says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 47s47 seconds ago
    “I’m glad the group responded, but we get the short end of the stick in another one-goal loss.” McLellan, noted 4 & 97 early misses

Short end of the stick on a one goal loss. That is going to be in the Oilers obituary. Book it.

81. hags9k says:

Hall takes that slash and complains? Not sure what he expects, the refs allow him to get away with that lumberjack move quite a bit, but it’s bound to catch up to him from time to time.

Stop it! The art of the slash is in the subtlety. Geez

82. Water Fire says:

You know, I can skate and am completely willing to ONLY try to score. I’m also a free agent. And I have no self respect so I will sign cheap.

83. Centre of attention says:

kinger_OIL,

I mean, if Peter is a wizard he can bring in 2 additions but what are you giving up to get them? One is already going to cost you an arm, can you really live without a leg too?

I can live with Fayne if he’s on the second pair.

I would add Chris Pronger circa 2006 if we are talking fantasy, but being realistic I think Chiarelli can only add one. I hope I’m wrong.

2-1 Condors, Kessy had a solid first and scores in the second.

85. hags9k says:

Since we’ll win the lottery, I wonder what kind of D Mathews gets you?

86. BONVIE says:

Centre of attention:
    Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers47s47 seconds ago

The type of fate a team that doesn’t work hard everynight deserves. Oilers don’t even play one third of their games with the majority of the team having 60 minute efforts. You make your own breaks with hard work. Looking at that New Jersey team reminds me of an expansion team a bunch of no name guys that play every shift the right way.

87. Dicky94 says:

hags9k,

I was really hoping we wouldn’t be close the the bottom this year. Unfortunately it is looking that way, and if they win the lottery it will seriously be embarrassing. However it should kick start the rebuild.

88. Captain's Log says:

Frankly tonight’s game was almost as unimpressive as the last two. Not much fight in them Oilers tonight after the first couple minutes of the game.

89. BONE207 says:

So here we are again. Caring more than the players seemingly do. How does this get fixed anyway? We don’t have any or enough of good prospects to trade. We lose some of the core to get other pieces but what if that doesn’t pan out (#becauseOilers). Let’s say we could give away the entire farm team so we can get a couple good D. How do we then rebuild the farm? I think I’m getting to the point where if this can’t be fixed soon, it’ll be lottery picks forever.

90. Keith says:

At least the Condors are crushing the Heat — 5-1 nearing the end of the second.

91. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

BONVIE,

Ya this is a pretty good read of tonight’s game. I was pissed during the Montreal game because everything that could go wrong did, Islanders it was the goaltending. Tonight it was just heartbreaking to watch them get out worked and out smarted (the stupid little dump in or missed chip passes at the blue line causes the blood pressure to rise I tells ya) constantly was just a killer.

Still wondering what has happened to the PK (maybe the Nuge effect?) but holy crap I think they’ve given up 10PP goals since the end of the break. They were sitting 11-13 overall in the league going into the break but have gotten walked left right and centre since then.

92. Dr. Taboggan says:

It is very troubling that the Oilers can be consistently terrible for 9+ years and have an AHL team almost devoid of any real prospects. This is what makes the Reinhart trade so frustrating, if the Oilers had a decent pipeline of talent then great trade the picks. Instead, the Oilers traded two high picks for another LHD project and have pretty cupboards as far as prospects go.

LB is legit. Khaira might be 3/4 line guy. Slappy has been so so in BAK. And a bunch of LHD. Yikes.

93. Dr. Taboggan says:

Keith,

Condors winning 5-1 with no real NHL prospects scoring.

94. kinger_OIL says:

Centre of attention,

– If you wait and hope that all of Griff/Nurse/Davidson are going to be top-4 next year, that’s not setting the team up for next year, that’s the same old hoping, and setting up for fail

– I don’t know what the solution is but too much 5-7 D, which is actually way better than the non-NHL D playing in the NHL from previous years.

– Griff/Nurse/Davidson have upside, but can we afford to wait another year to see how they all do in the NHL, all at the same time?

– If Griff > Davidson this year, that would have helped a lot going into next year.

95. Keith says:

Dr. Taboggan,

True enough. But after this weekend I’ll take a victory in the organization.

96. Centre of attention says:

kinger_OIL,

Go back and read my first post please. Where in the top 6 are Grif/Nurse/Davidson? My top 6 were this:

Klefbom-NewGuy
    Sekera-Fayne
    Davidson-Gryba

Only one of Griff/Nurse/Davidson are on the team, and look where he is. Bottom pair.

I would love an upgrade on Fayne, but whats wrong with keeping him instead of massively over paying for a replacement? We are going to have to over-pay for the other New-guy I’m talking about anyways.

We would have to take salary back in a Fayne trade or retain some, neither option is ideal. Fayne will be trade-able in his last year and thats when you do it.

Just my 2 cents.

97. Klima's_Bucket says:

This year the transition is Griffin/Nurse/Davidson > Ference, Nikitin, Schultz
    Next year if you can replace those first 3 with better guys….Music.
    Baby steps.

98. G Money says:

Laddies and gentlewomen, time for shots. Shots data that is.

Things to mull:
    – lookit them rink maps. Ask yourself what would happen if we had three NHL calibre pairings … or three NHL C for that matter
    – Fayne had close to his best game of the season. Guess he likes Jersey
    – Nurse/Clendining look OK by the stats, mostly because it was a low event game overall. The events they did give up were mostly nasty. Again, see the rinkmap. But even with that, I think it was mostly on the PK they got torched

99. Professor Q says:

If the Oilers do indeed receive a pick within the 1-3 range and take one of the Finns or Matthews, should the AHL be a serious consideration with obvious past flawed early introductions as a lesson?

100. Gret99zky says:

hags9k:
    Since we’ll win the lottery, I wonder what kind of D Mathews gets you?

They won’t move him.

They will run into the backyard with their brand new Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle and promptly shoot their eye out.

Book it.

101. G Money says:

Centre of attention,

Your D pairings look fine to me. It really doesn’t matter if Sek-Fayne are second or first pairing in that sense. If NewGuy is e.g. Hamonic, and he plays with Klef … yeah, that’s your first pairing.

The most important thing, though, is that new guy IF HE’S A TOP PAIRING GUY forces Fayne to 4D at best, and forces all other defenders to the third pairing at best.

There were some arguments about semantics a few threads ago – I call this effect “makes everyone better”, others think it only affects the matchups … I disagree, IMO, better matchups allows a defender to play within his game and therefore DOES in fact improve performance.

But it doesn’t matter. Even if all it does is improve your matchups, your entire D will provide a much better performance overall.

That’s the effect of adding a top pairing D.

Or conversely, it is a huge part of what we suffer through now, which is the LACK of top end D forces almost every D to play higher than he should, which degrades the entire defensive corps.

102. JDï™ says:

G Money:
    Laddies and gentlewomen, time for shots.Shots data that is.

Things to mull:
    – lookit them rink maps.Ask yourself what would happen if we had three NHL calibre pairings … or three NHL C for that matter
    – Fayne had close to his best game of the season. Guess he likes Jersey
    – Nurse/Clendining look OK by the stats, mostly because it was a low event game overall.The events they did give up were mostly nasty. Again, see the rinkmap. But even with that, I think it was mostly on the PK they got torched

Shots and mull. I’m with you, G-Mo – but it’s only Tuesday.

103. Gret99zky says:

Can’t wait for this team to get healthy.

Then losing becomes unacceptable.

104. Centre of attention says:

G Money,

Agreed.

Key word: TOP PAIRING GUY

You have one job Chiarelli! ONE JOB!

What scares me is if Chiarelli tries to do too much

105. BAUCE says:

Gret99zky:
    Can’t wait for this team to get healthy.

Then losing becomes unacceptable.

There are plenty of teams that do more with less.

Losing shouldn’t be acceptable at this point.

106. JDï™ says:

Centre of attention: Key word: TOP PAIRING GUY

You have one job Chiarelli! ONE JOB!

How many other GMs are looking for the same player, and how many of those players are available?

107. JDï™ says:

BAUCE: There are plenty of teams that do more with less.

If they’re so plentiful, please list a half dozen for us.

The team is in the bottom quartile of the league next year if Fayne is still in the top 4.

Ideally, Davidson is #5, Nurse is #6, Reinhart is #7, and Gryba #8. (This means Reinhart or Nurse is on the shuttle.)

If they only get one RD, then Davidson is #4 and Fayne is #5.

If they get two RD, they have to find a new home for Fayne.

109. Ryan says:

BAUCE: There are plenty of teams that do more with less.

Losing shouldn’t be acceptable at this point.

Yeah, it’s kinda depressing.

We have no internal cap like some teams plus we have 4 #1 overall draft picks including one generational talent and yet we’re in last place again.

It’s incredible.

110. Gret99zky says:

BAUCE: There are plenty of teams that do more with less.

Losing shouldn’t be acceptable at this point.

whoa, whoa…

Injuries
    Schedule
    Refs
    Luck

So many reasons*

*not excuses

111. G Money says:

Gret99zky:
    Can’t wait for this team to get healthy.

Then losing becomes unacceptable.

Much truth to this.

112. JDï™ says:

I can’t wait for it to all fall apart.

113. Dr. Taboggan says:

Ryan,

And one of the worst prospects pools in the league.

114. Pouzar says:

Bakersfield Condors ‏@Condors 2m2 minutes ago
    Oesterle now with 11 points (2g-9a) in his last 12 games. Two assists tonight. #Condorstown

JDï™: If they’re so plentiful, please list a half dozen for us.

Krueger and Nelson both did more with less. 77 point pace. Anything less by McLellan is a big failure on his part. He’s not going anywhere, but it is a big failure on his part.

He is a thoroughly mediocre bench coach. Plus, special teams is coaching.

116. Ryan says:

G Money: Much truth to this.

What’s the latest on Klefbomb?

117. Centre of attention says:

godot10:

If they only get one RD, then Davidson is #4 and Fayne is #5.

If they get two RD, they have to find a new home for Fayne.

Fayne is a #4 D in this league and I’ll believe that until someone convinces me otherwise.

Centre of attention: They can get one RD and have Fayne as the other top 4 RD and be in OK shape. This is only true though if the one D they add is an impact player.

Davidson is better. And by next fall, it won’t be close.

119. Centre of attention says:

godot10: Davidson is better.And by next fall, it won’t be close.

Agree. If Davidson shifts over to the right side you can slide Fayne down to 3rd pair.

Interesting to think about for sure.

Sammi Silber ‏@sammisilber 36m36 minutes ago

Schultz and Chiarelli are still in New Jersey.

She is an OilonWhyte editor.

121. Younger Oil says:

Sammi Silber ‏@sammisilber 36m36 minutes ago

Schultz and Chiarelli are still in New Jersey.

She is an OilonWhyte editor.

*rubs hands together*

122. Ryan says:

Dr. Taboggan:
    Ryan,

And one of the worst prospects pools in the league.

Yeah, that too.

Chiarelli hasn’t been flat out terrible, but he’s been somewhat disappointing so far. Really, we needed a GM to hit one out of the park. He hasn’t done that thus far.

1. Reinhart trade. Didn’t like it at the time and don’t like it now. Depleted out prospect pool for a player we didn’t need…
    2. Cam Talbot trade. We spent 3 picks for him. I liked it at the time thanks to Woodguy. Now, it’s sort of meh. He’s not all world and maybe there were options that wouldn’t have cost draft picks. Still, this looks somewhat promising.
    3. Korpse trade. Epic fail due to player and contract length.
    4. Letestu. Meh player. Paid in full in dollars and term.
    5. Mclellan signing. Love the coach and thought it was a home run. Oddly, he hasn’t been able to much with this group. Seems determined to try to play as if he has the San Jose Sharks roster in terms of dump and chase which this team is highly ineffective at.
    6. Sekera signing. Liked it all the time even though he paid in full for dollars and term. Still like it now, but wasn’t enough.
    7. Gryba. Was a reasonable acquisition…
    8. Cap crunch. Was curious to see how he would handle Nikitin, Ference, and Scrivens cap problem. He actually managed this well with the Kassian gamble, riding out Niki’s contract and getting the captain on LTIR. Full marks here.
    9. Davidson save. I was worried about Davidson getting lost to waivers. He avoided it.

Really to be fair, Chiarelli started this season with his hands in Chinese finger cuffs courtesy of Mact and hasn’t had many options.

Still, I think it was a mistake to let the team be this bad.

123. Professor Q says:

Kadri subtly mocking both Dennis Wideman and Marc Giodano with his motions and comments on said motions?

124. Ryan says:

Sammi Silber ‏@sammisilber 36m36 minutes ago

Schultz and Chiarelli are still in New Jersey.

She is an OilonWhyte editor.

I knew I forgot something.

Many of us agreed with our fearless host (You) this past summer who proposed walking on the Schultz contract.

Hindsight tells us his cap money could have been better spent elsewhere.

125. Dr. Taboggan says:

Ryan,

Agreed. Chia has been pretty meh. The Oilers needed a few homeruns this off-season and got none.

126. G Money says:

You wanna know why the Oilers have stunk for so many years, continue to stink, and why blaming the core is stupid?

Read

Updated list including Sheldon Souray pic.twitter.com/GIlY121e0h— @MC97Hockey (@ConAirMcDavid) February 10, 2016

127. AsiaOil says:

Playoffs are gone but the GM has to throw the team life line via trade. Tanking is unacceptable for everyone.

128. Gerta Rauss says:

Does anyone know if Talbot started in net tonight?

129. G Money says:

Ryan,

Haven’t heard anything.

130. JDï™ says:

godot10: Krueger and Nelson both did more with less.

Different years, different rosters (different leagues), don’t care – that wasn’t what BAUCE said.

The assertion was: There are plenty of teams that do more with less. Those goalposts are into solid bedrock my friend.

Still waiting.

Is it Minny? They don’t have any number one overalls in the lineup (I believe), and they’re like, 9 points ahead of the Oilers.

@MC97Hockey ‏@ConAirMcDavid 1h1 hour ago

@ConAirMcDavid the scariest thing about this, is our current defense is probably the best we’ve had in all this time…. and its still shit.

So they shouldn’t be doing more with less?

131. Kepler says:

I’m personally not a fan of TMac’s coaching; never have been. How is it that one of your worst players, if not the worst (which is really saying something), consistently gets 17-20 minutes of ice time every game? I expected when CMD came back things would change but no. I get that Nuge injury is part of the reason but how is it that Letestu consistently plays EV, PK, and PP. Apparently because he can win some face offs even though it seems like any important ones he loses more often than not. I don’t blame Letestu. I blame TMac for playing the man so damn much. How can he not see how poor of a NHL hockey player Letestu is?

TMac can talk the talk and I enjoy his interviews but that doesn’t make him a solid NHL coach. IMO he failed miserably in SJ with an all-star lineup and has been much overhyped since he took over the oil.

I really though Nelson was the best guy for the job. Too bad he wasn’t given a better opportunity. He got a lot more out of a slightly worse lineup.

And my god….why can’t the D (or any forwards for that matter) pass the puck to McDavid when he’s on the ice. Are they avoiding him on purpose? Give the puck to your best players!!!

This team is the shits and for some reason I can’t stop watching…

132. Gerta Rauss says:

G Money:

Read

Reading those names makes me sad and leaves me a little speechless

I’d be curious to compare the total number against other organizations going back to 2006

I’m far too lazy and not asking you to do it, just curious

133. JDï™ says:

G Money,

That’s a bad list. We need a text version to post here.

Oh so bad.

I forgot about Tjarnqvist.

134. LadiesloveSmid says:

time to give Oesterle a shot? 21P in 34GP. maybe surprises like Davidson. Bet he’s not happy about the Clendening claim

135. G Money says:

Gerta Rauss,

JDï™,

It’s a sadness like standing in front of a war memorial with names of the dead, except in this case the dead are the hopes and dreams of Oiler fans.

136. Gerta Rauss says:

G Money:

Now I have Taps playing in my head..:)

137. Professor Q says:

JDï™:

Just ran it. 1OV.

Same here.

1. Edmonton

2. Toronto

3. Winnipeg

138. Gret99zky says:

JDï™:

Just ran it. 1OV.

I got Leafs, Jackets, Jets

139. russ99 says:

Kepler:
    I’m personally not a fan of TMac’s coaching; never have been. How is it that one of your worst players, if not the worst (which is really saying something), consistently gets 17-20 minutes of ice time every game? I expected when CMD came back things would change but no. I get that Nuge injury is part of the reason but how is it that Letestu consistently plays EV, PK, and PP.Apparently because he can win some face offs even though it seems like any important ones he loses more often than not. I don’t blame Letestu. I blame TMac for playing the man so damn much. How can he not see how poor of a NHL hockey player Letestu is?

This team is the shits and for some reason I can’t stop watching…

I think McLellan’s a good coach and his best qualities are how he works with the players.

But he’s still running the same systems he used in San Jose, and has show zero desire to adapt to the players he’s has, which sunk many other former Oiler coaches.

Tonight’s a perfect example, in his presser he’s mentioned that we should shoot more and not pass. That wouldn’t make any difference. If we had or went out and acquired 2-3 big forwards who can really disrupt and clean up on rebounds and 2-3 good point shooters it would make more sense.

But with this group all it does is either give the other team the puck or at best continue the cycle, and it’s beginning to deflate the players to continue to play a way where they can’t use their skill and seems to lessen the chances of winning games.

IMO, McDavid and Eberle in the first two games after the break gave all the players a peek of what it would be like to not be bogged down by the cycle/shoot system, and as much as McLellan wants to reinforce the system again, he can’t have the players un-see that.

What’s the most galling is I can understand sticking to that 5×5 but there’s zero reason to reinforce systems when in the power play.

Adapt or die, this is especially true in hockey coaching.

140. The Trade Guy says:

I love when posters know what’s required to coach in the NHL. More so then an actual coach in the NHL…

ugh the team is terrible right now. No need to dissect the entire organization.

141. Oilspill says:

I love the comments about the team getting UFA’S signing here. We’ll have enough trouble getting our own guys to resign. This is like a destination wedding in the middle of the jungle.

142. kinger_OIL says:

Centre of attention,

Hey – I wasn’t disagreeing, merely pointing out we’ve got too many 5-7’s, and was recognizing that I don’t know how we get rid of the log jam. I just disagree with you that only 1 D gets ‘er done….

143. Oilspill says:

Kepler:

This team is the shits and for some reason I can’t stop watching…

Do you know the game at all? McD is good but is not going to skate through a whole team very often. They are zeroing in on him. Much better to have him hit the seams THEN feed him.

144. sliderule says:

Tmac was talking about Schultz’s panic level being high.

He should have said that it is high for every player on team.

This is particularly true on PK were they try weak rounding board clears that result in a pass to the opposition.

The two delay of game penalties are another example of panic.

It’s far better to hold onto the puck and try to make a play than pass it to opponent or penalize yourself.

145. Adam Wu says:

When you tabulate all the injuries, and look only at the players who were actually on the ice, it seems pretty obvious to me that Krueger and Nelson actually had better rosters than what McLellan has had to work with so far.

146. Adam Wu says:

I am wondering if Schultz’s contract might not actually have some trade value from a cap perspective.

You exchange for him a player with a similar yearly salary, but longer term. Then you walk away from him at the end of this year, freeing up cap space.

It’s just like trading for a rental UFA, except you have the added flexibility of qualifying him if he unexpectedly knocks it out of the park for you.

147. jake70 says:

Just checking the standings to see how the dust settled from last night. No canadian teams in the playoffs today, wonder if Rogers is a little concerned. .

148. Water Fire says:

On the upside, they did manage 19 shots on a team playing a back to back.

149. Water Fire says:

sliderule:
    Tmac was talking about Schultz’s panic level being high.

Interesting, I’ve thought he might have issues with anxiety on the ice. Same with Talbot. He can play so well and then like they borrowed him from a beer league. It’s a tough old league.

The Trade Guy:

ugh the team is terrible right now. No need to dissect the entire organization.

Some of us have been watching hockey for 50 years, and have watched Bowman and Arbour and Sather coach for decades. One can tell a good coach from a mediocre coach from a crap coach.

A good coach coaches the team he has, not the one he wishes he had, and makes adjustments in tactics and personnel based on matchups. And this is true across sports. There is no one way to win, except to play to your strengths and to your opponents weaknesses. McLellan is incapable of making an adjustment.

We are 50 games into the season and the power play still sucks, because he wants to play San Jose’s power play, which the Oilers players are ill-suited to playing.

He pressbox’s Lander, and the Oilers penalty kill goes to the dogs. Lander is top 5 in the NHL in penalties drawn vs penalties taken. i.e. he is the Oilers most aggravating player, though he doesn’t make a big show of it like Hendricks.

Adam Wu:

Krueger’s centres were Nugent-Hopkins (with an injured shoulder), Gagner, Belander, and Smyth. Horcoff and Lander were injured most of the season. Krueger’s defense was Jeff Petry, Smid, Justin Schultz a rookie, Nick Schultz, a one-legged Ryan Whitney, Fistric and Potter. Even with all the Oilers injuries this year, his centres and defense was always superior.

Nelson was without Hall half the time. Without Petry half the time. He had no goaltender. He was forced to play Musil and Aulie and Nikitin and Ference a lot on the D.

McLellan has had Sekera all year. A healthy Hall. And two of Nugent-Hopkins, Draisaitl, and McDavid have almost always been healthy. And he has a goaltender. Again, not really close.

152. Kepler says:

godot10,

Spot on!

153. Kepler says:

Oilspill,

I’ve forgot more about the game than you’ll likely ever know.

McDavid wants to carry the puck, just as Hall does if not more, so get it to him quickly rather than hesitating like they always do. Typically ends in them dumping and chasing and that is not his game. You’ll see this eventually just might take you a bit longer to process.

« Older Comments