G56 2015-16: MAPLE LEAFS AT OILERS

The Edmonton Oilers have riches untold and can’t buy a win—lack of balance and an addled defense for a decade running is not the way to go. Who knew? Everyone. The Oilers 2006-16 will be a monster cautionary tale for the rest of the century. How will this era of endless el’s turn out? I am hoping Peter Chiarelli can write a few quick chapters here in order to get to the good parts.

FOREVER MIDNIGHT, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2014: 4-5-1
  • Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0
  • Oilers in November 2014: 2-9-3
  • Oilers in November 2015: 4-7-2
  • Oilers in December 2014: 2-8-4
  • Oilers in December 2015: 7-6-1
  • Oilers in January 2015: 5-7-1
  • Oilers in January 2016: 4-5-2
  • Oilers in February 2015: 5-6-1
  • Oilers in February 2016: 2-3-0
  • Oilers after 55 in 2014-15: 15-31-9, 39 points (-57 GD)
  • Oilers after 55 in 2015-16: 21-29-5, 47 points (-30 GD)

G55 last season was a 5-4 OT win over the Montreal Canadiens, so if the Oilers lose tonight, last year’s team will be within six points. I have to admit to getting some kind of sick enjoyment out of this, and have begun cheering (just a little) for last year’s club. I am, officially, an ass. Still, I think the failure to address the defense should be punished, and that is what we are seeing.

DEFENSE, 2015-16

OILERS DEFENSE OVER SEASON

• Brandon Davidson has a terrific line, I keep reading about his being unable to play top 4D next season, but am wondering why not? Folks, he is Fernando Pisani—procured from the bowels of the draft, too smart to fail, a hard worker and a good man. Smart, has speed, can be physical, good passer—what exactly are you looking for in a top 4D that I have not listed? Experience? Watch him tonight. Cool, calm and collected. Pray to the God who listens that the Oilers don’t get duped and send him to the Kings for a Coke machine.
  • Oscar Klefbom may be back in two weeks or so according to the news of the twitter—once again, lighting candles works and we should continue to do so until he actually makes it back.
  • Eric Gryba doesn’t get any love, but I am wondering why. His numbers look fine from here, not exactly sure why people are critical of him. Defensive defensemen are going to be extinct by Christmas if his line is considered poor.
  • Mark Fayne is in the same part of the library, and apparently not many go there. Still can’t believe he cleared waivers and for me a team looking for defensive depth at the deadline would be wise to check him out. If the Oilers were willing to retain some salary, Fayne would be a nice pickup. I hope they keep him.
  • Andrej Sekera is a rock, Andrej Sekera is an i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-island. If they had left him with Fayne all year, his possession number would be at or near 50 (I bet)and we could be lathering him with praise. As it is, I like him a lot anyway.
  • Darnell Nurse continues to impress with his combination of physical skills while also being a worry about the actual performance of the defense. He is 45 games into this NHL season and is part of what might end up being the best Oilers rookie class since 1980.

CENTERS THIS SEASON

oilers centers over season

• Leon Draisaitl and Connor McDavid need a nickname. Twin Terrors? Pinky and the Brain? Don’t know. They need one though. Between the two men, the 5×5 scoring is an absolute wonder. Wait til McDavid shaves! Leon is 2-1-3 in his last five, I would say he is due for a big game but do wonder if he is completely healthy.
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is badly missed, you can see it in every game the team plays now. Posts like ‘Nuge has been horrible this season!’ seem to have faded since Leon has been climbing Everest every night. Funny how that works, isn’t it? I remember when people would shit on Shawn Horcoff just like they did the Nuge this season, it shows to go that even though we agree with the idea of context, it is easily forgotten when winning a battle on the internet is first priority.
  • Mark Letestu.

WINGERS, 2015-16

oil forwards over season

• Taylor Hall is a monster, suspect he will be flying around the ice tonight and putting on a show. I love his work ethic without the puck this year, really is adding elements to his game. Just 0-2-2 in his last five games, he has also taken three penalties, needs to get that under control.
  • Jordan Eberle is up to 1.65/60 at 5×5 and I think he will get to 2.00 by the end of the season. I saw someone mention the other day that he should be taken off McDavid’s line because he is slumping. Since McDavid returned, Eberle is 5gp, 4-2-6. Stupid facts. In the same period, McDavid is 5gp, 2-5-7. Absolutely horrible performances, evidently.
  • Benoit Pouliot is 5gp, 2-4-6 in the same time period, oh the humanity. Someone mentioned the stupid penalties he takes, and the games he costs. In those five games, 2pims against Ottawa—a win. If you get a chance tonight, watch Pouliot and the subtle things he does to help his team and hinder the other. I think he is a pretty smart hockey player.
  • Teddy Purcell is playing his final games as an Oiler, I will cheer for him in the playoffs unless he is traded to Calgary, Dallas, Montreal or Vancouver.
  • Zack Kassian s went quiet, and cold during the road trip. He is still bringing the physical and that is good, but would like to see him playing with a more substantial center at some point. 1-1-2 in his last five games, played only 8:17 against the Devils. He needs to get back to the performances delivered in his first seven games.
  • Nail Yakupov is having the same issue—no center—and in his case I do worry. Unlike Kassian, Nail doesn’t really fit the Chiarelli style and that means he has to be scoring. I am heartened by Todd McLellan’s handling of him, really wish this team had a center for Nail and Kassian right now. 0-0-0 in his last five games, Nail is always the winger who gets hurt by the lack of depth, it is unerring and a tell. Seriously. A big damn tell.

oesterle williams

THREE DAYS AT THE CONDOR

It never fails to amaze me. Every AHL season, there is a spike in performance for some of the prospects after New Year’s Eve. Here are the top scorers (among prospects) for the Condors since January 1:

1. C Andrew Miller 14, 4-9-13
  2. LD Joey Laleggia 12, 4-7-11
  3. F Jujhar Khaira 11, 3-7-10
  4. R Tyler Pitlick 12, 3-7-10
  5. LD Jordan Oesterle 16, 2-8-10

I think we could see any of these players get a cup of coffee after the trade deadline, and with Laurent Brossoit being recalled yesterday, the flights from California should come more often as we head to February 29.

Lars Eller to the Oilers has some charm (he was the gent who said nice things about the team awhile back), but he is not a fantastic option. 5×5/60 number is 1.28, that is behind Hall, Pouliot and Kassian among LWs—although I would prefer him to Korpikoski. He does fit the Chiarelli model in that he can play all three forward positions, has two-way ability and some size. I would not call him rugged (another Chiarelli arrow) but he isn’t shy, either. Oilers fans will suggest Justin Schultz, Habs fans will counter with Nail Yakupov. I sincerely believe Peter Chiarelli will trade both at some point.

• Nazem Kadri: “It’s just so hard for players to know what they’re going to become, what their potential is. At the end of the day, (drafting a player is) taking a chance. That’s why they call it a lottery draft pick. You don’t know if things are going to pan out or not. It’s just like rolling the dice.” Source

He is a terrific player, and a thoughtful one too based on the items I read about him. His take on the draft is a direct hit, I would add that the organization you land on, and how they handle you, has a great deal of impact on your progress and future. I would love to have him play for the Oilers, he plays a splendid game.

I imagine someone (aside from the Oilers) picks him up, but for me this is a good bet and nice cover should Peter Chiarelli find homes for Justin Schultz, Eric Gryba and Mark Fayne at the deadline.

It sounded imminent the other day, but did not come to pass. Todd McLellan mentioned earlier on Tuesday they wanted him to reflect on his role and perhaps we will see a player who brings more clarity to his game tonight. If he is not in the lineup this evening, one wonders if PC is waiting for another team to make room. In an unrelated story, Los Angeles will have room at 10 this morning. If they called me, I would tell them to trade for Mark Fayne.

wood44

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy, fluid day on the show and I will once again he filling in for Dave Jamieson noon to 2pm. We start at 10, TSN 1260 and scheduled to appear:

• Darcy McLeod, Because Oilers. Is Brandon Davidson a potential top 4D solution? Are the Oilers the worst team in the NHL? Should PC pursue Jacob Trouba, knowing about the impending contract issue?
  • Frank Seravalli, TSN. Leafs in Edmonton, that is always a fun time. We will discuss the rebuild in Toronto and some things they can learn from the Oilers failure to get the party started.
  • Fluid guest list for the rest, depends on CFL signings and Ehrhoff’s destination.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Chat soon!

483 Responses to "G56 2015-16: MAPLE LEAFS AT OILERS"

« Older Comments
  1. jp says:

Centre of attention:
    Wayne Gretzky’s 19th career game:
    2 Goals, 2 Assists vs #Leafs

Connor McDavid’s 19th career game:
    2 Goals, 2 Assists vs #Leafs (so far)

Haha, McDavid ruined it!

2. russ99 says:

Ryan:
    Connor and Jordon don’t suck as a combo.

As much as I want to see Yak with McDavid, don’t break these two up!

So, with 5 points tonight, how far back is he from Larkin for the Calder?

IMO Panarin will lose due to the overage Euro Calder jinx, not to mention he plays on a line with MVP Pat Kane.

3. Gerta Rauss says:

Well it wasn’t pretty but it was lots of fun

Feast or famine with these guys

4. Centre of attention says:

Eberle tied for team lead in goals.

Missed 13 games.

I repeat, tied for team lead in goals.

Anybody still thinking about trading McDavid’s Kurri?

5. Professor Q says:

Interesting choice on the Three Stars.

6. jp says:

Professor Q: McDavid is classy enough to work with Eberle to help him gain that milestone, and vice versa.

Yeah, absolutely. But that kind of stuff isn’t a given. Very cool.

7. Professor Q says:

russ99: As much as I want to see Yak with McDavid, don’t break these two up!

So, with 5 points tonight, how far back is he from Larkin for the Calder?
    Imo Panarin will lose due to the overage Euro Calder jinx, not to mention he plays with Kane.

The Overage thing doesn’t stop anyone.

Look at who the Oilers’ rookies have lost the Calder battle to over the years. I do believe the one Hall lost to had played like 1-3 games below the limit over three years prior to his win, too, correct?

8. Southern Oil says:

Professor Q:
    Interesting choice on the Three Stars.

What were they? My feed cuts out as soon as the game is over.

9. Professor Q says:

Southern Oil: What were they?My feed cuts out as soon as the game is over.

I thought for sure they’d want to give Eberle the First Star due to breaking the milestone, but McDavid obviously had the best game.

10. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Southern Oil,

McDavid
    Eberle
    Pouliot
    (Honourable mention to Talbot)

11. dangilitis says:

Flames faithful asking to give Bennett a pardon for his first 30 regular season games.

Sure. I will ask for 4 games for McDavid, if you don’t mind.
    23 pts in last 15 games with a broken clavicle in the middle…

12. hunter1909 says:

russ99: As much as I want to see Yak with McDavid, don’t break these two up!

Oilers set to announce: That henceforth in a “team bonding” exercise Nail Yakupov, tied by his wrists will be running behind the Oilers bus.

No plans in place should Nail lose his footing and ends up getting dragged behind the bus, according to the team’s Vice President of Hockey Operations.

13. Younger Oil says:

I think we are seriously understating Pou’s contribution to the line.

14. Centre of attention says:

Younger Oil:
    I think we are seriously understating Pou’s contribution to the line.

Agreed. He must be given credit.

4 assists tonight all of them hard earned.

His 2-way play compliments them well.

15. Gordies Elbow says:

Wow. Hit the best image, for today’s post, by about 1000%.

McDavid.
    Orange.
    5 point night.

16. böök¡je says:

Remember when I said Conner would come back like a man possessed with the Calder his goal!

17. Centre of attention says:

Jim Matheson ‏@NHLbyMatty 7s8 seconds ago
    “I got to the bench and Korpikoski said ‘welcome to the club.'” Eberle finally getting first HT after 17 two-goal games

18. MrEd says:

5 points? That’s too much. I yield- too much.

19. stevezie says:

hunter1909,

I get the impression you think Nail is hard done by. I think you would have an easy time making the argument he’s been mishandled at different points but what would you do with him now?

Ideally you play Hall with Nuge and put Drai and his buddy Yak together in low pressure, managed minutes, but that option ain’t here.

So what’s the play?

20. Centre of attention says:

Watching the Leaf players pump Connors tires in the post-game is giving me some sort of sick and twisted pleasure.

Babcock didn’t mention Connor once. Quick presser. He looked mad.

21. russ99 says:

Professor Q: The Overage thing doesn’t stop anyone.

True.

McDavid is 14 points shy of Larkin. A few more nights like tonight and he’ll be a finalist.

Hopefully the PPG sways the voters.

22. hunter1909 says:

stevezie: I think you would have an easy time making the argument he’s been mishandled at different points but what would you do with him now?

Keep him on the team. Try to keep him happy. Find him a nice local girl.

Ignoring Yakupov isn’t going to make him a better player, or anything else for that matter. You ask a fair question, so I guess I’d keep him with Kassian and try to find them a decent two way centreman *cough RNH cough*

Or Draisraitl, who showed interesting chemistry with Yaks under Eakins.

Oilers desperately need two top 4 defencemen that they haven’t currently got on the roster. Or one Erik Karlsson. It’s the defence(or lack of) that’s been killing the team, not the forwards.

23. Snowman says:

russ99,

He’s going to be a finalist regardless of how many 5 point nights he has. If he hits 55 points he wins. That’s my guess.

24. LoDog says:

Younger Oil:
    I think we are seriously understating Pou’s contribution to the line.

Played hard dug the pucks out, he was right in his interview. His line is getting it done.

Since I am on a roll.

Nuge or Hall get traded for a 1D

MacT and howson quietly dissappear over the summer

Much changed team makes playoffs next year exactly to Lowes plan. 🙂

25. Professor Q says:

I’m surprised that McKellan didn’t know that Eberle hadn’t had a hat trick before.

26. Professor Q says:

LoDog: Played hard dug the pucks out, he was right in his interview.His line is getting it done.

Since I am on a roll.

Nuge or Hall get traded for a 1D

MacT and howson quietly dissappear over the summer

Much changed team makes playoffs next year exactly to Lowes plan.

Younger Oil:
    I think we are seriously understating Pou’s contribution to the line.

Nope. I have been mentioning it all along. He hinders their progress and helps ours. A very good hockey player.

28. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Todd not happy with Hall-Drai-Teddy.

“I’ve given them every opportunity to work through it and they haven’t gotten anything done lately and now defensively they are starting to give up a few.”

29. G Money says:

Connor McDavid: 2 goals, 3 assists, CF% 69.6, FF% 70.1, DFF% 65.0

30. hunter1909 says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!: I’m actually kind of pissed at the recollection of events to be honest. Maybe he should try running them with a solid defensive pair that can make a pass and you know can actually play defense in the NHL

Oilers prefer to belabor and belittle their better players. It’s a Kevin Lowe thing.

31. Quinlan says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!,

Drai has so much give up in his game right now, it’s kind of sad. Must be injured.

He and Nurse need a confidence infusion.

32. LoDog says:

If you don’t think Mr McLellan is the best thing for this team after that presser then we will never agree on anything.

33. LadiesloveSmid says:

had to leave at the beginning of the 2nd to submit an assignment on time, DAMN!

Davidson quietly played 25 minutes tonight, 3+ more than the next guy

34. Water Fire says:

Connor’s wingers are recipients. That they cash the gift cheques is the thing. They are not writing them. Please never forget this, and this is 19 games in.

Chiarelli must never forget this.

The players that play with CMD are like lottery winners.

35. Psyche says:

Nuge in between Hall and Drai is the answer. Next season!

36. stevezie says:

hunter1909,

I miss Nuge even more when we’re winning than losing. These forwards could be so beautiful. Yak and Draiin managed minutes would be perfect

I don’t know if we can fix the D without subtracting a forward, but i hope so.

37. G Money says:

Shot data:

Terrible defensive performances – but mostly in the first period, modest edge to the Oilers the rest of the game.

38. Kaptain Vikarious says:

Colby Armstrong. Cheesy image!

🙂

39. LadiesloveSmid says:

McDavid’s 5v5 P/60 is 3.48. Asinine.

Patrick Kane’s is 2.75

40. LoDog says:

Professor Q: By quietly disappear, for some reason I imagined a Soviet Gulag…I mean KHL hire, of course…

I would prefer public execution but just playing out my carnac the magnificent impression.

*Name a looker a cooker and a hooker*

41. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

LoDog,

I believe in being fair and I don’t think shitting on a 19 year old who you sent away at the start of the season only to have him come back and score at a point of game clip until the last few games is fair. I don’t have the data skills to pull the numbers either but i have a feeling that if we look back over the brutal games this passed week, that same line was playing an awful lot with Nurse-Schultz-Clandenning as their point men.

Context matters and as late as last Thursday against the Sens Hall was on a 6 game point streak and was top 5 in NHL scoring. I take issue with a coach shitting on players like that when he continues to send out certain guys regardless of how many goals they are directly responsible for.

I’m not trying to make excuses because they definitely have had a couple of tough games in a row but why pile on when its blatantly obvious to everyone watching that Hall is not in the least happy that he hasn’t scored and Drai may be playing hurt?

42. Lloyd B. says:

Robert Wagner….UGH !!!

43. russ99 says:

LoDog:

I think he’s a really good coach but I still don’t agree with his strategies.

Case in point: Hall, Drai and Purcell. They’re having a rough go, and there still dumping and losing the puck, and McLellan’s answer is put a plugger with Hall.

Cycle uber allies.

Which drives me crazy seeing what McDavid is doing skating the puck into space.

If it’s good enough for Connor, why not our other skill forwards?

44. G Money says:

P.S. Hendricks and Korpikoski finished with 0% Corsis and DangerFens.

ZERO.

G Money:
    P.S. Hendricks and Korpikoski finished with 0% Corsis and DangerFens.

ZERO.

Korp 0-10 via 5×5 corsi. That is unpossible.

46. AsiaOil says:

I assume you never saw Kurri or realize that he finished 2nd in Selke votes a couple of times and probably should have won one or two. Ebs cannot carry Jari’s jock as a 2 way player. As I demonstrated last week – Ebs is loading up against the chumps of the league and has been pretty ineffective against bigger, better opposition. Case in point. He was 0-0-0 -4 against Mon/NYI on the weekend but looked great against CLB/OTT/TOR. It’s been like that since 2013-14. Hopefully Chia uses this opportunity to pump the crap out of his value going into the deadline and get us a defenseman.

More pissed about this “win”. Horrible team effort and TMac seemed more concerned about getting guys individual cudos instead of salting away a win when only up by 2. TOR is a horrible team and we barely beat them, got outworked most of the night, and needed great goaltending. Nurse needs to be in the AHL yesterday – he looked awful against an AHL level squad tonight.

Happy for the kid but there was almost nothing else positive about this game.

Centre of attention:
    Eberle tied for team lead in goals.

Missed 13 games.

I repeat, tied for team lead in goals.

Anybody still thinking about trading McDavid’s Kurri?

47. Professor Q says:

According to TSN, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was the last teenager to have a 5-point game (against Chicago) before McDavid last night.

Except they have him doing so in 2010…which of course was when he was in Red Deer.

48. jp says:

Lowetide: Korp 0-10 via 5×5 corsi. That is unpossible.

Oy. Just going to ask about that. Was thinking they could just have been low event like last game (ie – 0-3 or 0-4). Not so much.

49. Lloyd B. says:

Lowetide
    says:

February 11, 2016 at 5:38 pm

russ99:
    RexLibris,

Did MacT and Howson throw darts at a dartboard? Lol

Local news, the 2017 draft will be here in Chicago. I plan on representing the Oil and hoping that we won’t be picking anywhere close to first.

With the SECOND PICK in the 2017 draft, the BOSTON BRUINS select Henry Spencer….

FTFY Sorry if this has been dealt with earlier. Late to the party this week.

50. LadiesloveSmid says:

Eberle can still go for Hamonic, EDM’s signing Stamkos to play RW with McD anyway

51. russ99 says:

LadiesloveSmid:

Don’t see Stamkos signing here, but if he did, man wouldn’t that be something…

52. LadiesloveSmid says:

russ99: Don’t see Stamkos signing here, but if he did, man wouldn’t that be something…

I’m with Woodguy, I’m gonna have fun with it until he’s got a contract elsewhere

53. AsiaOil says:

Yeah that’s pretty much unbelievable against such a bad team. If hendo is doing that badly on his own (without Korpse’s help) then it might be time to try pawn off his “veteran savvy” to an unsuspecting playoff team. I had high hopes for Korpse in TC – those are dead as a door nail.

About Shultz – 3rd pair sheltered minutes against AHL level opposition. Basically correct deployment except for the $4 million per year salary thingee. 🙁

G Money:
    P.S. Hendricks and Korpikoski finished with 0% Corsis and DangerFens.

ZERO.

54. SwedishPoster says:

That was truly one line and an awful opponent putting a pile of makeup on one hell of an ugly pig. I’ll take the win but man. The Oilers seems doomed to only be a one line team. McDavid returns on fire and Hall-Drai turn into Cold-Dry and with that Purcell is basically just there.The bottom six was even worse. Yak had his worst of the season imo, no jump, no confidence, just dead in the water. Letestu has been absolutely garbage the last few. I hate Hendricks at center, as a winger he’s a top end fourth liner who can do quality spells in the top 9 and provides more energy than an Iranian nuclear plant, as a center he’s a below average #4C and turns from roaring lion to sleepy kitten. Korpikoski just needs to sit for a few. Kassian has stopped making plays and focus solely on agitating.
    There has to be roster changes in regards to the bottom six. The PK hasn’t been good either. Khaira back up perhaps? Pitlick? Lander should help the PK.

That McDavid kid though. Wow.

55. LoDog says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!,

I can’t disagree. I love Hall. And I love the nuge.

McDavid and ebs istoo uch too ignore and Hall sure as hell better return a 1D

56. Water Fire says:

Agree with Swedish.

Time to put the hammer down. Trade anyone not in the plans, watch the UFA’s refuse to sign at home and be available, and draft like a boss.

Like a boss is cheesy, but I like it for some reason.

The time frame is at best 2 years to attract and retain talent in the Connor halo. Clear out everyone, get this thing to 99%.

We are so freakin blessed that lady luck had a thing for the Oilers. I can’t stand it.

57. LMHF#1 says:

The crazy and amazing part is that McDavid could have had 7 points and not blinked an eye. If Letestu didn’t have rocks for hands and Eberle wasn’t feeling massive pressure to get #3…man.

What a show. WHAT. A. SHOW.

That was Gretzky against the mickey mouse Devils type stuff. And it looked easy.

58. G Money says:

“Shots For” rink maps for the four lines (again embedding tweet rather than four separate images – click on the link to get the images, you don’t need a Twitter account to see them):

Oiler 'shots for' rinkmaps for the F lines. Total domination / not good enough / not good / totally dominated. pic.twitter.com/qXcwfJj73i— Oilers Nerd Alert (@OilersNerdAlert) February 12, 2016

59. LoDog says:

I spells good.
    I’ll take the oilers to make the playoffs next year at 1.3

Any takers?

60. Lloyd B. says:

SwedishPoster,

The good thing is we are now complaining about fixing the 6s and 7s. It was not that long ago we were complaining about having the 6s and 7s but no face cards. We’re a tough group to please. 🙂

61. Gret99zky says:

Draisaitl had better NOT be playing hurt.

If he’s hurt, pull him out and let him heal.

There is no justifiable reason for a 30th place team (28 now) allowing a player with his value/importance risk further injury. They are not in a playoff race. He should not be playing through any type of injury.

He’s either tired or the management/medical staff has completely lost their marbles.

62. GrandOptimist says:

I believe i posted this in ‘Arriving Condors’ article…i will repost again as I am 4 for 4…and as the season continues this is what fans have to cling to until mathematically being eliminated…
    Just a little info…take it with grains of salt as there is injuries/suspensions etc that can change a lineup and therefore altering a teams dynamic…
    Oilers remaining schedule…numbers based before todays games…
    Canadiens – SA : 8th PK : 8th. Result = Loss (expected)
    Islanders – SA : 20th PK: 2nd. Result = Loss (expected)
    Devils – SA : 7th PK: 13th. Result = Loss (expected)
    Leafs – SA : 26th PK: 15th. * Result = Win (expected)
    Jets – SA : 15th PK: 27th. *
    Ducks – SA : 3rd PK: 1st.
    Wild – SA : 11th PK: 24th. *
    Avs – SA : 27th PK: 19th. *
    Sens – SA : 30th PK: 30th. *
    Kings – SA : 5th PK: 10th.
    Ducks- SA : 2nd PK: 1st.
    Islanders- SA : 20th PK: 2nd.
    Sabers- SA : 21st PK: 18th. *
    Flyers- SA : 29th PK: 26th. *
    Jacksts- SA : 23rd PK: 17th. *
    Jets- SA : 15th PK: 27th. *
    Sharks- SA : 4th PK: 21st.
    Wild- SA : 11th PK: 24th. *
    Coyotes- SA : 18th PK: 29th. *
    Preds- SA : 5th PK: 23rd
    Blues- SA : 12th PK: 3rd
    Canucks- SA: 25th PK: 16th. *
    Avs- SA: 27th PK: 19th. *
    Coyotes- SA: 18th PK: 29th. *
    Sharks- SA: 4th PK: 21st.
    Kings- SA: 5th PK: 10th
    Ducks- SA: 3rd PK: 1st
    Flames- SA: 9th PK: 28th. *
    Canucks- SA: 25th PK: 16th. *
    Canucks- SA: 25th PK:16th. *
    SA= shots against ranking in league
    PK= penalty kill ranking
    *=combined score of >30 ..so winnable games in my opinion as our team is built on capitalising on chances, yes! i know there is a difference between shots and chances but over the course of a season they usually corelate.
    That equals 17 winnable games using these two stats…as i said other variables i understand…however if you look at said teams, in theory they should be winnable anyways.
    For the oilers to make the playoffs…they would need to go basically
    21-6-3 = 92points for the season…in our division that should be about the cutoff line. (plus or minus 2 points)
    That means…17 winnable games offensive wise. Meaning 4 wins minimum in the 13 other more challenging games (assuming we lose none of the winnable games…which is highly unlikely…however ottawa did it last year, no reason we cant)
    Its tough. But not impossible. Heck we got mcdavid.

63. GrandOptimist says:

GrandOptimist,

Those rankings were before the Montreal game

64. frjohnk says:

GrandOptimist,

We are 11 points back of Anaheim for 3rd spot in the Pacific. They have 3 games in hand.

We are 9 points back of Nashville for the last wild card spot in the West. They have 2 games in hand.

All I am going to say is……..I love your optimism.

65. Evilas says:

Although it was entertaining, we were once again distracted by the “shiny things” this was a terrible team game, the first period was brutal. Thank god for Cam Talbot. Sorry for the negativity, but I’ve been around a while and I know the drill.

I am in the pump up Eberle’s stats camp and in the off season use him to get Hamonic. Even though Snow wants a Dman back, he isn’t in the greatest bargaining position. The only question is how bad does Winnipeg want him?

I would also put the 1st round pick in play if the return is substantial (like a Shattenkirk).

I expect a lot of movement at the trade deadline by Chiarelli, I don’t expect that we will be getting much more than draft picks or prospects back. All the players I have added are via Free Agency.

The names may be slightly different, but I expect a few bigger bodies added and a younger, bigger 4th energy line. I love Hendricks and Yak, but I am ready to see this thing turn around next year, we need to get what we can for them, so we have a roster full of players who play the right way and will compete every night.

I have a feeling that Stamkos will be heading here, I heard his agent speak on Wednesday night and it did nothing but reinforce that sense. Plus, this is the Edmonton Oilers, the universe keeps granting us #1 overall draft picks, it’s ordained in the stars……. amiright?

FORWARDS
    T. Hall — R. Nugent-Hopkins — L. Draisaitl
    B. Pouliot — C. McDavid — S. Stamkos
    Z. Kassian — D. Backes — C. Stewart
    A. Slepyshev — B. Yakimov — I. Pakarinen

DEFENCE
    O. Klefbom — T. Hamonic
    A. Sekera — J. Demers
    D. Nurse — B. Davidson

GOAL
    C. Talbot — L. Brossoit

Extras
    T. Pitlick — J. Khaira — G. Reinhart

66. JDï™ says:

Safeway had better get their finances in order, and I guess that means Sobeys.

They’ll call it The McDavid Million.

67. Evilas says:

Gret99zky,

That is my impression as well, he took a lot of abuse in the 2 big wins and in the loss to Montreal. He doesn’t have the same energy/effort level that was there consistently 5-6 games ago.

68. GrandOptimist says:

frjohnk:
    GrandOptimist,

We are 11 points back of Anaheim for 3rd spot in the Pacific.They have 3 games in hand.

We are 9 points back of Nashville for the last wild card spot in the West.They have 2 games in hand.

All I am going to say is……..I love your optimism.

Hahah yup. You should see me at eskies game down by 17 with 2 minutes left…im 20 and all i have had was watching the oilers vs canes and being at the grey cup the eskies lost to Montreal. (Not including this year)

I’ve needed to be an optimist….and i played goalie for more than half my life…I’ve heard we are the odd ones

69. Bruce McCurdy says:

G Money: Lots of interesting stuff to see. Check out the Nurse/Schultz rinkmap. Looks like a bug??!

And that one “shot” was the one that hit Leon twice & Darnell once & caromed into the net, no? Talk about an unfair -1.

70. Bruce McCurdy says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!: Lost in the hubbub, I think Eberle had his best game overall this seaso. Battled well along the boards, won a couple of battles down low, had a few takeaways and of course the offence. Great game

But another sequence that I really liked was when Ebs came out first on an on-the-fly change. Third period so the short change, meaning that when Eberle drove the puck up the right wing wall his changing mates were a long way in arrears. But he won the zone and held off two checkers for 3 or 4 seconds until his mates caught up & started the cycle. A short time later Eberle was the first man off on that same shift, took his chance when it came & didn’t overstay his welcome. Smart disciplined hockey with a 3-2 lead in the third.

AsiaOil: I assume you never saw Kurri or realize that he finished 2nd in Selke votes a couple of times and probably should have won one or two. Ebs cannot carry Jari’s jock as a 2 way player.

Yeah, guys like Jari Kurri don’t exactly grow on trees, what with him being a first ballot Hall of Famer and all. Joe Mullen couldn’t carry Jari’s jock as a two-way player either, but he was a damn useful sniper on three Stanley Cup champion teams all the same. Teams need all sorts of role players, and scoring goals and points is a pretty damn important role.

71. Bruce McCurdy says:

Dicky94:
    Those who don’t think Davidson will be a top 4 d man don’t watch enough Oiler games. He looks like he has played 500 games in the league. Sign him up!

^^^ This. ^^^

72. slambanna says:

Bruce McCurdy: ^^^ This. ^^^

Yup. Davidson is a key cog in this system going forward and while being recognized for it here, he is also being taken for granted a touch. He is an RFA after this season. What does his next contract look like? He played 25 minutes tonight.

I offer 2.75m x 8 years. But almost no player takes that deal. A bridge deal is more likely. At a similar dollar figure? Hopefully cheaper? Unfortunately for the Oilers cap, a decent agent will be able easily show Davey as one of the Oil’s most effective defenseman. If he reads LT.

73. jonrmcleod says:

Glad I finally checked out this post so I could see that one of my tweets (from the Oilers Rig account) was included. Definitely an honour!

It’s funny (sad?) that so many Leafs fans still think McDavid is going to Toronto the first chance he gets.

74. Adam Wu says:

Re: Drai

This is exactly the time of year when many rookies start getting worn down by the grind of the NHL season, and Drai is still basically a rookie.

75. Adam Wu says:

How many times in prior years have we seen the oilers more or less outplay 3/4 of the opposition lines, only to be torched by one guy/line, and we’d be making dark jokes in the aftermath like Toews 5 Oilers 3?

It’s nice to see the reverse for once.

76. jp says:

Adam Wu:
    Re: Drai

Agreed he looks worn down. But he played a ton of games last year (not sure the final count, but in the 90-100 range),

It’s not like he’s coming from college or a European league.

77. PhrankLee says:

The two extremes the team and it’s most rabid portion of fans are one and the same.

Bi-Polar.

The first period was a true and total disregard for self respect. Shots 14-4

Then Connor reminds us it’s not how. It’s how many.

Leon is hurt. I do not believe he is tired.

Eberle has way more sand in his bag on this line. He actually strips guys of the puck and faces the cage now.

Darnell settled down a bit after the first. He must have been told he would ride pine unless he calmed his feet and stick. It worked.

I am still with last year’s recommendation that they simply walk away from Schultz. I do not mind that they showcase him. But what are you going to get in return? Is it worth the collective morale of the group?

He will have to rebuild his career in the minors, in my opinion. He needs to remove the Oiler stank that has effectively crippled him.

I have seen guys come in with high expectations and not preform up to the expectations. But JS was a star signing. His AHL numbers foretold great riches in the bigs. Then….what? Dallas Eakins?

I don’t know the answer but at the moment he does not belong in the NHL. Full stop.

Fuck the Leafs. I am going everywhere in orange and blue today. Kiss our Stamkos stealing asses, GTA!

78. Pajamah says:

This just in, Connor McDavid is so good, Jordan Eberle has just been retroactively named Calder Award winner from 2011-12.

79. Really? says:

AsiaOil,

Anybody who compares Eberle to Kurri has no concept of how good Kurri really was. He was one of the best all round forwards I have ever seen play in the NHL. Without question, he should have won multiple Selkes during his career.

Eberle is a talented goal scorer and ATB ad man but that is it. He has value but he is the recipient of gifts from McDavid. Many players would look good on McDavids wing.

One observation from last nights game. It appears that Oiler forwards have not fully grasped what McDavid is capable of. When he is flying through the neutral zone, get him the puck. Several times last night Eberle held the puck and the whole attack slowed down because of it. When they learn to hit him in stride, it will open up the ice even more. Sublime talent.

80. Pajamah says:

Really?:
    AsiaOil,

“recipient of gifts from McDavid”

How selective is your memory?

This guy is 19th in goals in the last 5 seasons combined, and has had moderate injury issues (missed more games than a few of the top 18)

He is a goal scorer, and has scored 113 of his 120 before ever playing with McDavid.

Stop acting as if all of his success is attributable to McDavid. He is 1st line talent regardless, and has been all-world since McDavid has come back.

The Oilers looked to try and pump and dump Eberle, and he has been SO good, that they may not be able to trade him because he and McDavid have far exceeded expectations so far.

I understand us Oiler fans overvalue the teams assets, but your comment is an egregiously shortsighted take on Eberle’s talent.

81. Pouzar says:

Bruce McCurdy: I agree with this. I attended the game and was impressed with Eberle’s work along the walls on more than one occasion, notably the first goal when he made a real nice outlet pass to spring Pouliot & McDavid. Great pass by Poo on that play as well. Very pretty goal.

*smiles*

82. Pouzar says:

Pajamah: “recipient of gifts from McDavid”

How selective is your memory?

*still smiling*