G57 2015-16: JETS AT OILERS

The Edmonton Oilers were asleep at the wheel to begin their home stand, but woke up just in time to watch Connor McDavid announce his presence with authority. Tonight, they meet the Winnipeg Jets—a team they can reach in the standings with a double you in regulation.

TABERNAC SATURDAY, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2014: 4-5-1
  • Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0
  • Oilers in November 2014: 2-9-3
  • Oilers in November 2015: 4-7-2
  • Oilers in December 2014: 2-8-4
  • Oilers in December 2015: 7-6-1
  • Oilers in January 2015: 5-7-1
  • Oilers in January 2016: 4-5-2
  • Oilers in February 2015: 5-6-1
  • Oilers in February 2016: 3-3-0
  • Oilers after 56 in 2014-15: 16-31-9, 41 points (-56 GD)
  • Oilers after 56 in 2015-16: 22-29-5, 49 points (-27 GD)

Oilers got hammered 7-2 by Ottawa a year ago. I no longer look forward to HNIC games involving the Oilers. They have been horrible for a long time on the national game, and the coverage (I find) does not inform the game. I will watch with the sound down and assume the worst result. Along with a healthy roster and the playoffs, it would be nice to look forward to Saturday broadcasts next season.

DEFENSE, 2015-16

OILERS DEFENSE OVER SEASON

• Brandon Davidson is at a point where I think we can say with authority he is the 5D next season, and I would not be upset to see Edmonton play him higher in the order as needed. This is an important development—an inexpensive and capable option in-house and from the depths of the draft. If the Oilers have Davidson as ‘next up’ for top 4D usage on opening night, that is a better place than one year ago.
  • Oscar Klefbom is a top 4D for sure if he is healthy for next season. I kid, but only slightly. Jason Gregor mentioned yesterday that the young Swede still isn’t skating. A very disappointing development, he is turning into Serge Savard in terms of injuries and maladies at a young age.
  • Andrej Sekera is at 55gp, 6-14-20 and should finish around 30 points. Justin Schultz led the team last year (31), but did not provide the Oilers with the kind of defensive quality Sekera has provided. One of the major issues for this defensive group since 2006 summer is ‘complete’ defensemen who can be effective everywhere. Sekera is such a player, I believe Klefbom can be and Nurse has elements in his game that lend themselves to that kind of impact. Oilers need more, but they are getting there.
  • Mark Fayne will be an interesting story to follow at the deadline and into the summer. If he is on the roster, Fayne will play a substantial role. Something like this: Sekera—Fayne; Klefbom—Hamonic; Nurse—Davidson, Gryba. I think the key to adding a second defenseman is offloading Fayne—and I am not sure that is necessary. I think it depends on Todd McLellan, but for me Edmonton has a perfectly useful player there.
  • Peter Chiarelli would have to trade either Fayne (most likely), Davidson (possible) or Nurse (highly unlikely) to get Hamonic and (say) Demers on the roster. Edmonton could add two pieces with the idea of keeping Nurse on the farm—and that is a worthy goal—but I don’t see it as likely. Edmonton simply isn’t there, and evidence suggests they are not thinking that way.

CENTERS, 2015-16

oilers centers over season

• Connor McDavid is now officially ridiculous. Look at these numbers! His 5×5/60 leads the planet, and his 5×4/60 number is second only to Jason Chimera (!!!!) in the NHL. A beautiful line, he is 19.
  • Leon Draisaitl has been fading, we have seen it and now (as of yesterday) the coach mentioned it. Although it is disappointing, it should in no way take away from a fantastic year by the big man.
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is mending like a hero, I wonder if there will be any track left when he is ready to return.

WINGERS, 2015-16

oil forwards over season

• Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Benoit Pouliot and Nail Yakupov are the four best offensive wingers signed for next season and currently on the roster. Agree? I think that is the case, with Zack Kassian also in the conversation and possibly Anton Slepyshev within shouting distance. Fair? What do you think the odds of Edmonton starting next season with Pouliot—Eberle and Hall—Yakupov on the top two lines?
  • The one thing that could impact that group? Leon Draisaitl.
  • Jujhar Khaira played pretty well when he was in Edmonton, and he seems to be pushing for a recall. During the month of February, he is 5gp, 3-5-8 and is emerging as a big part of the team. Last night against Ontario, Khaira was 1-1-2 and the center of attention for the Reign. Khaira is pushing.
  • Anton Slepyshev started the year in the NHL, and we haven’t heard much about him since the demotion to Bakersfield. He is 3-1-4 in his last four games, and has 12 shots in those four contests.
  • With the trade deadline coming, there will be recalls from the minors. Men like Rob Klinkhammer, Andrew Miller and Ryan Hamilton are in the mix, but don’t count out Khaira and Slepyshev as options.

I am still chuckling over this lineup, suspect Todd McLellan is sending a message. After all, we merely witnessed that first period against Toronto, McLellan had to endure it from the coaching perspective. It has to be wildly disappointing for a successful coach to see that much suck from a group he has been leading for almost one complete season. We all know this group of lines is unlikely to last (tonight, they will shuffle the second and third lines, pretty sure), but as a wake up call, this is a pretty good shock.

TRADE DEADLINE

I will have an item up on ON later today about the Oilers at the deadline, but wanted to quote Pierre Lebrun and his take on the two primary trade targets from the Oil:

• Lebrun: Purcell has had a decent season but re-signing him doesn’t much sense for an Oilers team deep up front. Those cap dollars are better spent elsewhere. He’ll be a good pickup for a contender looking to add secondary scoring. Source

Purcell’s dollars will go (imo) to a bigger winger from the Lucic tree, suspect Edmonton will run that player with McDavid, Hall, Draisaitl and two of Nuge/Eberle/Pouliot next year. I hope PC has seen enough of what this team looks like without the Nuge to pull him back from the next Seth Jones offer, but we should have at least some worry about how much the new GM values RNH.

• Lebrun: Schultz has lost his confidence; his development wasn’t handled well the past few years in Edmonton and a change of scenery will benefit everyone involved. I think he still has the chance to be a good defenseman, so for another team this is an interesting gamble. Source

Don’t underestimate the power of the Jeff Petry story here. Edmonton has to be known in the industry as the place where careers go to die, but Petry’s success in Montreal may attract a team to the idea of buying low (it will not cost much) on 19. Gregg Krupa of The Detroit News mentions Schultz in regard to the Red Wings, that would be a fantastic landing spot for him.

TRADING FAYNE

One thing I want to discuss over the next week or so is Mark Fayne. If an NHL pro scout has been watching this team, and for whatever reason is making recommendations about possible defensive acquisitions from Edmonton, it has to be Mark Fayne. He is a better defender than either Schultz or Gryba, and is healthy—plus there is a chance Edmonton retains salary during the final two years of the deal. I haven’t seen a lot of chatter on it, will have something up on ON later and think it is worth chatting about as we edge nearer the deadline.

494 Responses to "G57 2015-16: JETS AT OILERS"

« Older Comments

Oilers get a point. That is a good thing on a Saturday night.

2. Professor Q says:

There have been 3-5 incidents which should have resulted in a penalty shot by Edmonton.

Never called.

3. Halfwise says:

jp:
    Crazy there’s no penalty on Purcell there. Just unbelievable…

Agreed.

4. Dr. Taboggan says:

Korpse on the PP in the last minute. WHY?!?!? Has Yak played a minute on the PP all night? I would not be surprised if Yak is gone at the deadline.

5. stephen sheps says:

Oilers steal a point. That is a good thing on a Saturday night.

ftfy

6. G Money says:

Ha ha, I gotta say, this probably says it better than I did:

Players the Oilers put on the PP instead of Nail Yakupov: Letestu; Korpikoski; Jultz. Seriously, whose wife did he fuck?— Paul Owen (@pg_owen) February 14, 2016

Hall with another bad penalty.

8. frjohnk says:

Fuck

9. flyfish1168 says:

G Money:
    Pouzar,

Look, I’m a huge Ebs fan, I defend him lots, and you know this.

But these things are also true:

– Ebs WOWYs have to be taken with a grain of salt.When he’s not with RNH, he’s with McDavid.He almost NEVER gets stuck with less than Top 6 companions

– And the fact is also that when he does get the same guys that Yak has now, he couldn’t do a damn thing.Not a thing.In fact, his weaknesses (e.g. board play) were on full display.But only Yak gets stuck with those guys forever, while Iiro, Kassian, and FUCKING LETESTU, possession and scoring black holes all, get moved Top 6.It’s asinine.

– So Ebs is a natural comparison as he illustrates the double standard in effect.So does Hall, and I made mention of him as well.When his C struggles, he has trouble scoring. Only Yak gets the finger pointed exclusively at him.

– Therefore, and I will say this for all to see: if you think Yak isn’t the victim of a nasty double standard, you are wilfully deceiving yourself. These moves are hurting a player and hurting the team. It pisses me off and it always will.

I totally agree with you G. I have a ebs jersey I want both players on my team. I just said in the last blog Ebs is good but he doesn’t push the river like Hall or McDavid and some people take it that I hate Ebs, Geeez

10. MrEd says:

Yikes G. I see a stretch.

11. Professor Q says:

I really don’t know what’s been going on with Hall in the past few games.

12. Younger Oil says:

Fuck the zebras.

Seriously, what a fucking joke of a league.

13. Ice Sage says:

What a putrid game.

14. kinger_OIL says:

Northlands Coliseum
    Ice used to be great

Rexall place
    Now, the OIL can’t skate

17,498
    That was the sellout, when winning Cups was their fate

Ice District
    The plan is to win
    Isn’t it?

15. frjohnk says:

I really wanted to see McDavid 3 on 3.

I’m calling it.

buff with a slapper to win

16. unca miltie says:

That will be the loss. My captain, my captain. Moreau

17. Pouzar says:

Everyone agrees with bashing Ebs to prop up Yak.

Awesome.

18. dangilitis says:

This is the worst fucking reffing I have ever seen. No exaggeration

19. jp says:

Wow, that was a hell of a play by Gryba! Not expecting that.

20. Professor Q says:

Wow, Gryba of all people. That was both humorous and exhilarating.

21. Professor Q says:

Pouzar:
    Everyone agrees with bashing Ebs to prop up Yak.

Awesome.

I do not agree with bashing either of them.

22. böök¡je says:

Hall with another bad penalty.

It was, but it was also a pretty light tap. Oilers seem to do a lot of that slash the stick move.

23. flyfish1168 says:

Positive note Brossoit is having a good game

24. MrEd says:

Younger Oil,

Haha loser.

25. delooper says:

flyfish1168:
    Positive note Brossoit is having a good game

He does not want to lose.

26. Kitchener says:

L.B.

27. delooper says:

Awful pass by Eberle there.

28. dangilitis says:

Don’t these players practice shooting a puck at the net every day?

29. jp says:

Sekera is something else in the OT.

30. MrEd says:

frjohnk,

Buff is old school:)

31. böök¡je says:

McDavid magically stops the saucer pass in mid air

32. BAUCE says:

Just swap our d with the jets and the cup is ours

33. delooper says:

The Oilers don’t deserve a point in this game, but Hendricks has willed it. So it is done.

34. böök¡je says:

Yakupov looks very sad on the bench.

35. böök¡je says:

Wheeler totally blew that, LB blew it worse.

36. flyfish1168 says:

böök¡je:
    Yakupov looks very sad on the bench.

He knows he not part of the shoot out

37. frjohnk says:

My boy EBERLE

38. Lackadaisical says:

Pouzar,

No need to bust out the straw man.

39. böök¡je says:

Bah, send that McDavid kid down.

They got a point on a Saturday night. I will take it.

41. Ice Sage says:

A just result.
    Once again, it’s clear how far this team has to go.

42. BAUCE says:

Wasted effort by LB.

change is gonna come

43. G Money says:

McDavid. Bust?

44. El Duderino says:

LB was solid great. Looks like the future.

45. LadiesloveSmid says:

gotta score more than 1 goddamn goal

good game from LB, but gotta give your team a chance in SO

46. G Money says:

Pouzar:
    Everyone agrees with bashing Ebs to prop up Yak.

Awesome.

Pointing out that Eberle struggles the same as Yak when given the same horrible linemates, but they both score (points) in bunches when playing with top 6 players with whom they have chemistry, but only Yak is held accountable (by both the coaches and the fans) for that situation, is not bashing Ebs.

It’s pointing out a double standard.

47. stephen sheps says:

Pouzar,

I really don’t think that’s what’s happening here.

Nobody is bashing Ebs to prop Yak – it’s about context.

Looking at numbers, fancies, TOI and linemates, Yak seems to consistently get the shaft relative to other players on the team.

Eberle is a natural comparative given they play the same position.
    So is Purcell this season.

These players get more of a push and more rope. When Purcell plays with the players Yak is currently saddled with (or player types, like he did last year), he was viewed as an expensive boat anchor and most of us couldn’t wait to get rid of him (while not noticing the good little things he does).

This season playing with skill and Purcell is the new Pisani.

I think all G is getting at (and I agree with) is that Eberle has not had to deal with the kind of adversity or the kind of linemates (or the limited usage) that Yak has.

Part of it is that when Eberle is healthy he tends to produce more consistently, to the point that coaches are loath to break up a good thing. But when Ebs has gone through cold spells, he’s had the luxury of primarily being able to play through his slumps with the same line-mates while Yak does not get the same rope or the same amount of ice time with other high-end players.

Some of the numbers Woodguy ran demonstrated that Eberle is not that much better defensively than Yak, but offensively he does more – but is a drag away from other skilled players.

From what I can tell, G is suggesting is that there appears to be a double-standard in terms of both usage/deployment and the kinds of opportunities to succeed from one player to the next. Yak tends to get the shaft. It’s disappointing.

That the comparative player happens to be Eberle is inconsequential. If Yak played LW regularly, we might be having this conversation regarding Yak vs. Pouliot, but it’s not about Ebs, it’s about Yak and the appearance of deployment double standards.

48. flyfish1168 says:

G Money: Pointing out that Eberle struggles the same as Yak when given the same horrible linemates, but they both score in bunches when playing with top 6 players with whom they have chemistry, but only Yak is held accountable (by both the coaches and the fans) for that situation, is not bashing Ebs.

It’s pointing out a double standard.

Again I agree with you

49. böök¡je says:

They got a point on a Saturday night. I will take it.

Stockholm syndrome.

50. blainer says:

Tuned in for the overtime. Tmc puts Jultz out 4 on three to start the overtime .. he is a big part of why they lose possession which leads hall into taking a dumb penalty.

Why TMc doesn’t start Sekera there is beyond words.

This team has to be going full tank.

Same as it ever was indeed.

Decisions like this leave me very pessimistic for next year also. This is new management and Coaching..

Jeebus even the leafs finally moved Phaneuf..

51. Oilspill says:

stephen sheps:
    Pouzar,

I really don’t think that’s what’s happening here.

Nobody is bashing Ebs to prop Yak – it’s about context.

Looking at numbers, fancies and linemates, Yak seems to consistently get the shaft relative to other players on the team.

Eberle is a natural comparative given they play the same position.
    So is Purcell this season.

This season playing with skill and Purcell is the new Pisani.

Part of it is that when Eberle is healthy he tends to produce more consistently, to the point that coaches are loath to break up a good thing. But when Ebs has gone through cold spells, he’s had the luxury of primarily being able to play through his slumps with the same line-mates while Yak does not get the same rope.

Fuck numbers! Who can play?

52. Pouzar says:

stephen sheps: Nobody is bashing Ebs to prop Yak

Nope. Never happens here.

I give up folks.

Have a good one.

Pouzar: Nope. Never happens here.

I give up folks.

Have a good one.

You too, Pouzar. Have a good evening.

54. stephen sheps says:

Oilspill,

possibly Yak, when playing with other skilled players. But we don’t know for sure because it is not a regular occurrence. That was my point. I think you missed it in your desire to hate on numbers at a blog that values numbers as predictors of performance equally to that of what you see.

55. AsiaOil says:

I’m beyond even trying to figure this shit out any more it’s so counter-productive for the team and player. Yak has clear warts but his play at the beginning of the year was good. He was hopping, scoring decently and possession numbers were fine. Even after McDavid went down he was good before he was hurt. But ever since Eberle came back it’s like he’s a skating canker sore. The only one who ever gets “made an example of” out of all the offensive players. Do any of them ever get treated like Yak? Never and it doesn’t matter what they do. Hall Drai and Purcell have been crap for games now and and they broke them up for one shift – wow – the pain. Hall’s been taking dumb penelties by the bucket full – no repercussions – nothing. Just trade Yak as the org looks like idiots with this stuff. He will have a fine career elsewhere just like Dubnyk and Petry have. I really though this shit was over but I’m starting to have to agree with people about the old boys not being completely gone.

G Money:
    Pouzar,

Look, I’m a huge Ebs fan, I defend him lots, and you know this.

But these things are also true:

56. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

LB had a very rough first shootout. He was wrecked after the Wheeler goal too bad he had a good game.

Time to free Yak, TMac is now being an asshole to him and thats not fair. Send the kid away if you’re going to treat him like that because its bullshit and you aren’t helping anyone on the team by doing it.

Good to see that the “no urgency” aspect of the power play was back in full force tonight. After all those goals they scored in the Columbus, Senators and Leafs games I was beginning to wonder if they finally realized that its a lot easier to do everything if you attack with speed.

The number of shots that missed the net tonight was beyond sickening. Like holy crap guys.

Teddy Purcell gets blatantly hooked on a breakaway and the stripes do nothing. Linesman cuts Hall off after steps out of the box and a potential breakaway is turned into a nice battle in the corner. Won’t bash them too much though, the Oilers had their powerplay opportunities and did absolutely nothing with them.

I didn’t think the game was nearly as one-sided as this blog or the CBC gentlemen. Winnipeg did a great job protecting the box but they weren’t exactly a screaming hell themselves. Very similar in style as the Devils game, absolutely atrocious hockey.

Thought Nurse played well tonight. Not nearly as scrambly, nice poise on a plays down low. Maybe he’s taking his lessons from Davidson instead of Schultz now. Speaking of which, go ahead and play him but not on the PP. He doesn’t pass well enough and can’t shoot so whats the point.

Davidson is a splendid defenseman. Remenda said it last game, he uses his own net incredibly well to create space on breakouts, he as a delayed panic point behind his own net and will position himself off of centre in order to draw the attacking winger to the far post, takes a two steps the minute the guy hits the goal line and he’s out. Gotta sign him for cheap.

57. G Money says:

Post game stats pages have finally updated.

58. striker says:

Oilspill: Fuck numbers! Who can play?

If Mark Numbers from Saskatoon could play, we’d be ready for the vaudeville circuit.

59. stephen sheps says:

Pouzar: Nope. Never happens here.

I give up folks.

Have a good one.

You as well, Pouzar. I do appreciate where you’re coming from, especially given the amount of ‘let’s trade (player X)” dialogue that happens as the season drags on.

For the record, I am certainly not trying to bash Eberle. I think he’s a wonderful player.

60. blainer says:

Yak has had tons of opportunities on the PP and in the top six.

I wish we would just move this player already. It’s everybody’s fault except the player.

Like his attitude but you need to earn the confidence of the coach to play in the top six.

I agree with how this coach is playing Yak.

Shultz on the other hand is a different story.

61. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

blainer,

This is a great great point. Sekera has two overtime winners and almost got his 3rd later in the OT tonight and he’s actually scored a couple since the ASB on the PP.

TMac makes weird decisions and this was a doozie any other team and that penalty by Hall would have cost them the game.

On that note, I dunno whats been going on lately but holy smokes, Taylor take a breath, relax and stop squeezing the stick so damn tight man. Three boneheaded penalties in three straight games.

62. fuzzy muppet says:

G Money,

This a million times over. Well said. They are actively ruining a young player while rewarding useless veterens.

this season is over. So why not see what he can do when you place him in positions to suceed? Nope, throw him in the deep end and strap ankle weights on him named letestu and pakarainen and watch him drown. This is the Oilers way. They are losers from the top on down.

Last I checked Yakupov did quite well with McDavid. Run him with skill and see what he can do. It’s fucking infuriating

63. fuzzy muppet says:

It’s a meaningless point in a horrible game by an irrelevant franchise. I fail to get joy from any of this.

If there was no mcdavid, there would be zero reason to watch

64. G Money says:

They got a point on a Saturday night. I will take it.

65. blainer says:

fuzzy muppet:

It’s a meaningless point in a horrible game by an irrelevant franchise.I fail to get joy from any of this.

If there was no mcdavid, there would be zero reason to watch

This is very true except for me Jultz is cancelling out the McDavid effect.

66. fuzzy muppet says:

Pouzar,

It’s not a matter of Yak vs eberle. Why is Purcell getting more minutes in another lost season? And korpiskoski getting his pp time? Its stupid.

67. dustrock says:

Guys, think I’m going to switch to the EPL. There’s the same number of goals scored but they’re generally nicer. And I don’t have to worry about concussions or anything.

If you want to know why scoring in OT is down, it’s plays like where Wheeler screws up and Davidson makes a nice play to sidestep him and then Wheeler makes 3 consecutive hooks on Davidson without consequence. Destroys the counterattack.

I’m not just getting tired of the Oilers but the entire NHL product. Every other professional sport tries to increase scoring.

68. blainer says:

It is just sooo hard for us fans who love our team to be still wandering the desert.

I am going to stop my Jultz bashing and hope by doing this it will cast a spell on him and turn him into a Bonafide top point getting D.

Good night and Good luck..

fuzzy muppet:
    Pouzar,

It’s not a matter of Yak vs eberle.Why is Purcell getting more minutes in another lost season?And korpiskoski getting his pp time?Its stupid.

Showcase. Oldest trick in the book.

G Money: You know, the whole ‘suck on Saturday nights’ really is a thing – and yet there is no possible reason it should be the case, and it’s pretty much inexcusable.

Every time I get a little wobbly, they suck. I only get wobbly on Saturdays.

71. fuzzy muppet says:

That’s fine and dandy when he’s producing, but that’s dried up. The ten years of ineptitude have me at wits end with this franchise.

72. hunter1909 says:

böök¡je:
    McDavid magically stops the saucer pass in mid air

Best play of the night. They can give him the Selke right now.

böök¡je:
    Yakupov looks very sad on the bench.

He’s still pissed about the being tied up and made to run behind the Oilers bus, the stupid Russian doesn’t even understand it’s one of Eakin’s special bonding exercises entrusted to none other than Oilers VP of hockey Craig MacTavish.

Meanwhile, Mclellan’s still not sure how to square Justin Schultz from the Norris trophy winner glowingly described by MacT.

73. flyfish1168 says:

Lowetide: Showcase. Oldest trick in the book.

Unfortunately less is more the last few games for Korps, Purcell and shultz

74. hunter1909 says:

fuzzy muppet: The ten years of ineptitude have me at wits end with this franchise.

Lowetide sure was right about RNH’s contribution. Those 2 games vs the Habs and Islanders were like being held face looking up to a guillotine blade.

Aside from McDavid, who I’m half expecting to get another, worse injury, the rest of the team appears to be exhausted.

Don’t worry Oilers. As usual, all of the best Tee times have been booked. Just another few weeks, avoiding injuries and you’re free to return to your summertime lives.

75. frjohnk says:

Lowetide: Showcase. Oldest trick in the book.

He had 4 chances to score tonight.

2 breakaways.
    1 one timer on a cycle play.
    And 1 play in front of the net.

But couldn’t cash. On the Second breakaway he was hooked and the jets should have been given another penalty. Which would have put them down 2 men going into OT.

If the NHL wants to increase scoring, bring back the obstruction calls of 2005-06.

76. hunter1909 says:

dustrock: Guys, think I’m going to switch to the EPL.

Why not start up a Southampton Saints fan page? Ralph Kreuger has that normally small market club partying with the Manchester United and Arsenals of Europe.

It’s like he’s stolen all of Kevin Lowe+stooge MacT’s former magic, lol.

77. AsiaOil says:

Yak’s possession numbers have been fine this season and it wasn’t all McDavid as it continued after he got hurt and before Yak’s injury. Like I said – please trade the kid – the org looks like asshats handling a 1OV this way. Somebody’s gonna get a deal though just like Petry when we dump him for a 2nd round pick in a couple of weeks.

WIN is big but not that great and the Oilers could not handle them at all – just like last time they played. The top 6 was getting pushed around by Buff and the other big dmen and this is just a meaningless regular season between two team who won’t make the playoffs. The Oiler top 6 would never survive a serious stretch drive, let alone one series against a team this size, let alone multiple series. Nobody in the top 6 imposes themselves on the opposition. Pou is gritty (but not imposing). Drai will be able to hold his own after he matures. Hall – well slashing and tripping isn’t intimidating anyone – but he’s not a wall flower at least. McDavid will be able to take care of himself eventually – but again – he’s never going to impose himself physically. The rest of the top 6 are nice young men you would like your daughter to date – that isn’t winning you anything in April let alone June. It’s a challenge to be a real contender with two finesse guys in the top 6 (and they better be Kane/Hossa good) let alone 4 like the Oilers have. Everyone with a grain of sense knows they are one dimensional and super easy to play against – but no one want to part with their precious talent – but they either make some hockey trades and bring in some hairy-assed men with talent – or content themselves with making pretty plays every third game when they play chumps like TOR who will let them wheel around like ice capades.

I was pretty optimistic going into this year. But TMac handling of the team is starting to look not so different than previous years and the only move at forward I’ve liked is bringing Kassian in. Chia better do something to change the mix (possible) but it already looks like TMac has lost the room to the inmates.

78. jake70 says:

Someone mentioned the bad ice a bit ago in the thread. Did anyone notice McDavid’s left skate “speed wobble” just after he score one of his goals vs. Toronto? Not sure it was the ice or his balance but gave me little scare.

Hall’s penalties and his passing has been terrible last few games. Not sure what’s up.

79. Dr. Taboggan says:

jake70,

He is probably pissed off because the Oilers blow… again. The Oilers wasting another brilliant year by Hall.

80. G Money says:

Shot data https://oilersnerdalert.wordpress.com/2016/02/14/g57-2016-02-13-oilers-vs-winnipeg-fokkers-shot-and-distance-data/

Summary: sigh. That Oiler defense.

McDavid at 50% on the Corsis, 17-17. This is ludicrously high event.

81. G Money says:

ISIS fighters are shaving bears and hiding in civilian homes to avoid airstrikes https://t.co/0Kb7iGcLm6 pic.twitter.com/9oq0Vh0gZD— NBC News (@NBCNews) February 13, 2016

Ricki – are you OK!?!?

82. spoiler says:

Schultz:

I don’t see him being traded before the deadline. Despite the reputed interest, I suspect some other dominoes have to topple before Chia can max value. He might not get fired into the sun until deadline afternoon. Gonna have to be patient, folks.

I wanted him to get his 300 games, see what a new coach could bring out of him, see if Schultz could get his head together, but unfortunately he’s still all “I hear nuthing, see nuthing, say nuh-THING” stage, especially in his own end. Time for a reset.

Korpse:

I’ll be surprised if he’s gone at the TD, considering he has another year of cheques to cash. I’m dying to know if he became an Oiler out of a favour to Gordon. I suspect so. He might be walking a fair chunk of waiver wire over the next 12 months. Over the Niagara Falls.

Purcell:

You trade this guy, even if you plan to re-sign him. Trade him and then see what he does in the playoffs and what tthe summer brings… might be able to bring him back for short and cheap.

Yak:

I think he will be around next year. Once Purcell is traded, he’s going to get his chances to play in the top 6. I think one of the reasons he hasn’t been moved up is because when he’s been given PP time with the top 6ers this past month, he hasn’t done much with it.

______________________

Is there any point in sending Broissoit back down? I’d keep him here for the rest of the season.

83. Lois Lowe says:

I just…I can’t even.

Tomorrow (or the day after) I’ll actually synthesize all of the posts I’ve tried to write about Yak. There is no double standard, he’s just not that good.

His numbers, fancies and otherwise, tell me as much.

I’m not sure where I’ve gone wrong so I expect to be corrected.

84. spoiler says:

G Money:

Summary: sigh.That Oiler defense.

McDavid at 50% on the Corsis, 17-17.This is ludicrously high event.

The Fokker Scourge!

Zone exits and entries looked especially problematic tonight… again… still. Forwards don’t help, cheat for O, usually find themselves on the wrong side of a generally 50-50 bounce. Dmen can’t make a strong play under pressure and when they do get it out, they miss a pass or are confounded at the other blue line.

A team with this much talent shouldn’t struggle with these things. My guess is TMac thinks it’s a personnel issue and Chia has told him to be patient while he makes changes between now and September.

85. stevezie says:

Woodguy: Klef is signed for $4.16 for the next 7 years.

Hamonic is signed for $3.857 for the next 4 years.

Klef plays similar comp already and brings more offence.

Klef is one of two Actual NHL top 4 Dmen on the Oilers.

I don’t think Hamonic is worth Klef today given the contract situations, QC, results and offence.

Add to that the fact that after that trade the Oilers still would only have 2 Actual Top 4 NHL Dmen and that trade is a no-go.

I’d be really tempted to trade Nurse for him as Nurse isn’t an Actual Top 4 NHL Dman today and has never brought a lot of offence so he tops at as a #2 (same as Hamonic)

I am not sure when Nurse becomes an Actual Top 4 NHL Dman.I’m hoping its as soon as next year, but I don’t see that progression in his game yet.

My definition of a True #1 is : Plays toughest comp, beats them, adds offence.

Right now there are only about 15 True #1 Dmen in the NHL and they don’t get traded.

The contract is a good point and maybe i am underating Klef.

I think “we would still need two D” argues in favour of converting one of our lefties to a rightie as then we will just need two D, as opposed to needing two right handed D. The latter limits the flexibility of the search.

I suppose that equally applies to Klef, Nurse, or Davidson, but (like many) i am tantalized by Nurse’s combination of skill set and temperament.

86. Evilas says:

I don’t know what others saw tonight, but that first period, at least the first 10 minutes was looking like another TO Tire Fire. The entire right side D were off to a terrible start handling the puck like a live grenade. All of these guys need to go, I know LT thinks Fayne is useful, but on many nights I beg to disagree…

At the draft:

I think Eberle is an excellent player, but I move him before RNH…. that being said Ebs should be the piece to acquire Hamonic. I strongly believe Hamonic is one of the top 30 Dmen in the NHL right now (not elite, but still one of the best puck-moving defensive Dmen).

I propose Eberle + Musil + 2016 1st for Hamonic + Anders Lee + 2016 & 2017 2nd.

At the deadline or the draft: Fayne, Korpikoski and Yakupov to NJ for Damon Severson, Reece Scarlett (young RD), Ryan Clowe’s Contract*** (it is an albatross, but it runs out in time for McDavid’s next contract, plus there could be a buy-out option due to the Canadian dollar) and a 2nd round pick

Purcell for a 3rd round pick

Schultz for a 3rd

Hendricks for a 4rth

Gryba for a 5th or 6th

UFAs:

1. Stamkos max offer $8.5 million x 5yrs (he wants to play with McDavid)
    2. Stewart $2 million x 2 yrs

In keeping with Chiarelli’s philosophy, bring in some big bodies with skill for the 3rd line who can move up the line-up as necessary and have a young 4th line on value contracts.

Note: There are no Right handed C’s

I do not target Shattenkirk, because I think his ask is too high, same as Vatanen.
    _______________________________________

D. Nurse — B. Davidson

GOAL
    C. Talbot — L. Brossoit

Extras
    J. Khaira — G. Reinhart — T. Pitlick
    —————————————————

***this is a very risky move I know, but it might be the best way to grab an excellent young Dman….

87. Frank the dog says:

I’m coming to the point where the reffing is becoming the most important factor preventing the Oil from ever doing well. injuries second, management third.
    I wonder how many other injuries besides CMD can be attributed to non-calls? Then consider how important Klef and Nuge are to the team.
    Then consider the impact of not getting that #1D and playing Schultz like the do and here we are. Hopeless.

88. anonymous says:

Pouzar: Nope. Never happens here.

I give up folks.

Have a good one.

</blockquote
    Good, because you are blind.

89. frjohnk says:

Lois Lowe:
    I just…I can’t even.

His numbers, fancies and otherwise, tell me as much.

I’m not sure where I’ve gone wrong so I expect to be corrected.

I don’t think you are that wrong.

4 coaches in and when the team is healthy, yak has not really ever played top 6 minutes.

Not Krueger, not Eakins, not Nelson, not McLellan, have played Yak consistent top 6 minutes with a healthy roster.

Why is that?

A conspiracy to sewer this kid?

I don’t buy this.

My hope is that he can be a consistent 2nd line player who is good on the PP.

He is not there

90. theres oil in virginia says:

Eberle has consistently produced with the opportunities he’s been given. Yak has not. I hope he improves, but that light is fading for me. I hope he pulls it out.

Strangely, people have been downgrading Eberle since he was drafted. Not just here, either. I remember when he was tearing up juniors and got a look in the AHL and tore that up, and same thing the next year, and folks kept saying not to expect too much out of this kid. Everything he’s accomplished has been due to some other factor in some people’s minds. Linemates, opportunities, etc. It never ends and it’s confounding. I still think it’s the tooth gap.

91. frjohnk says:

theres oil in virginia:
    Eberle has consistently produced with the opportunities he’s been given.Yak has not.I hope he improves, but that light is fading for me.I hope he pulls it out.

Strangely, people have been downgrading Eberle since he was drafted.Not just here, either.I remember when he was tearing up juniors and got a look in the AHL and tore that up, and same thing the next year, and folks kept saying not to expect too much out of this kid.Everything he’s accomplished has been due to some other factor in some people’s minds.Linemates, opportunities, etc.It never ends and it’s confounding.I still think it’s the tooth gap.

Just because he’s produced at a top-five rate scoring rate for right wingers in the last 5 years without a top pairing defenseman does not mean he is not rotten.

Rotten to the core I tell ya.

92. stephen sheps says:

frjohnk,
    Lois Lowe,

Just to briefly touch on your comments – both are fair. Yak has indeed underperformed (historically) in limited minutes with skill, but not last season with Roy or earlier this season with McDavid.

To clarify (and in my own defence), I never once said that there is a conspiracy to sewer the kid, rather I very explicitly stated that there appears to be a double-standard at play, and that TOI and line mates help aid in the appearance.

These are correlations rather than causation.

We really have no idea what goes on in the locker room and know even less about why coaches do what they do.

Player usage has been bizarre all season, from Jultz to Nurse to (lack of) Fayne, to Yak on the 3rd &.4th line to running Pouliot as a C. Ice time and deployment of personnel hasn’t been this bizarre since the days of the OTC running the bench (ok, that’s hyperbole, Eakins made some odd choices too), but we really have no idea.

As to Yak, it looks like something is up based on what the numbers and the deployment suggests – but the reality is we’ll likely never know until the player decides to tell his own story.

93. Unwashed Oilfan says:

Wow!! Late start for LT. Maybe a little bow chicka wow wow happening this morning!!

« Older Comments