DIALING BAKERSFIELD

The injury to Eric Gryba gives Peter Chiarelli a chance to recall one of the many people who claim to play defense in Bakersfield, California. As I write this, no one has been recalled. Here are the candidates for recall:

• D Jordan Oesterle. Based on the quote above, he has to be the favorite for the recall. Oesterle is a fast train but does have gaps in his defensive game. Chaos and some good things last time we saw him, he is probably due for another cup of coffee. I wrote about him for the RE series here
  • D Griffin Reinhart. He has been up twice now, played in 15 games and is 0-1-1. That is about the range expected in my RE (27 games). He did play RH side at times during his Oil Kings days, mostly on the power play.
  • D David Musil. If the Oilers are looking to showcase a player for trade, Reinhart or David Musil may be the best recall at this time. They won’t fetch anything at the deadline, but a summer trade should happen for at least a couple of these lefties. Touched on the subject of Musil during RE series here.
  • D Nikita Nikitin. Seems unlikely, but you never know. Slow, slower, Nikitin. I wrote about him during the RE series and projected him for 39 games. He made it into seven before the wheels froze up.
  • D Brad Hunt. I would think we have seem enough to know (Hunt has played in 21 NHL games now), but management has him available so it is possible.
  • D Joey Laleggia. Unlikely recall, as this is his rookie pro season. He will likely take over from Hunt as the primary power-play quarterback in Bakersfield next season, and we might see him in the NHL during the 2016-17 season if things go well.
  • D Dillon Simpson. Steady defender doesn’t get a lot of mention, difficult to know what the organization thinks of him at this time. This is year two of his pro career, no one I know has mentioned him as a possible recall.
  • D Martin Gernat. He is in theWe can live beside the ocean, leave the fire behind, swim out past the breakers. Watch the world die” portion of his Oilers career.

135 Responses to "DIALING BAKERSFIELD"

1. Cobbler says:

Love the Everclear reference and agree, Gernat has been left behind.

I would like to see what Musil has got at this point and he would seem to be a suitable “Gryba” equivalent to test drive for next season.

2. One-Timer says:

Last night after the 4-2 goal, I calmly turned off the tv, took the rest of my cheese and crackers back upstairs and began doing the dishes without wincing. Possibilities:

– Have reached a new level of apathy, and might just read LT from now on without watching the games.
    – Ten years of unremitting suffering has allowed me to achieve the equanimity of a Zen master. Will continue watching the games without any regard for the result.
    – This is how psychopaths feel when they’re not doing something violent. The next goal against could mean a remote through the flatscreen.

So confused. My money is on Niki for the call-up.

3. lynn says:

A weak group of defenders, even by AHL standards. I’m surprised the Condors have a winning record.

I would give Oesterle the call. I think Musil deserves another try too.

4. Cobbler says:

I must add that I have been happy with Gryba as a D. Saw him a couple time in the AHL with Binghampton and was impressed by him. Hope he gets re-upped.

5. Bruce McCurdy says:

Musil is the best fit if they are looking to fill Gryba’s role with a somewhat similar player. His defensive game is a nice mix of refined vs. crude.

Probably warrants another look before his ELC runs out. Might show the team and its potential trading partners — not to mention the player himself — where he stands. There’s only so much a guy can show in the AHL.

In his ON post Young Willis reminds this is a similar situation that Davidson benefited from a year ago. He was underwhelming at the time but those 12 games were surely an important step in his development.

6. One-Timer says:

Cobbler:

Second this. He’s been making controlled and useful 10-foot passes with the regularity you’d expect of a vet.

That should not be a remarkable point, but we’re talking Oilers here.

7. Bar_Qu says:

Musil might be a poor man’s Gryba. Best time to find out.

*edit* what Bruce said, but only not as well thought out

8. RexLibris says:

I liked Oesterle when I first saw him in Penticton.

You could see he had some of the positive traits of successful D today in the ability to skate the puck up or pass it out.

Size was always going to be an issue, but the skills are there. Only remaining component really is his decision making, which is a small but crucial part. If he can develop that, though, he could be a very useful 5,6,7 D man. Not what the Oilers need ultimately, but this team can’t really afford to recklessly flush talent – something they have done repeatedly which is why we find ourselves here today.

9. Woogie63 says:

Musil for Gryba
    Osterle for Shultz

10. RexLibris says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Love that you’re keeping “Young Willis” a thing. 🙂

11. G Money says:

*** Test viz! ***

In game player WOWY for d pairs. DFF/60 vs DFA/60 (DFA is reversed axis, so that lower left is bad and upper right is good).

The labels show the data for the d pair and the individuals without each other, and they are connected to show the relationship.

For example, 19+88 were absolutely crushed while 19-88 (Jultz w/o Davidson) did OK, and 88-19 (Davidson w/o Jultz) did better, mostly because of offensive chances created.

Thoughts?

I’d like to see Oesterle again, but then the right side (Oesterle plays right on the all LH Condors) is:

Jultz – Skating and chaos
    Clendinning – Passing and chaos
    Oesterle – Skating and chaos

I don’t think that Chia would want to do that until Jultz is gone.

My bet is Musil today and Oesterle after the deadline.

13. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:

Jultz – Skating and chaos
    Clendinning – Passing and chaos
    Oesterle – Skating and chaos

I don’t think that Chia would want to do that until Jultz is gone.

My bet is Musil today and Oesterle after the deadline.

14. kinger_OIL says:

– From here to the end of season, Griff will play most games of any D currently in AHL

– There is just too much invested in this guy, he has the most upside, he’s new management’s guy

– They really really need Griff to progress, and if he can show to be Gryba+, that helps the logjam

15. ruotsalainen says:

I agree with Bruce completely.

Replacing a similar player with another it should probably be Musil. Would be interesting to see how he performs.

I would also like to see Oesterle based on Coach Fleming’s quoted but I also think Woodguy gets it right in thinking that is far too many chaos defenders for the Oilers to handle all at once.

16. Pouzar says:

RexLibris: Mine too. Musil just makes too much sense as a Gryba replacement. I’d like to see he and Davidson together.

I’d say Oesterle after listening to that Fleming interview.

17. AsiaOil says:

We need a trade for a vet – not a recall of another #7 defender who needs shelter when none is possible. Plus Clendening is already on the roster. Given the circumstances – recall GR so he can swap in and out with Nurse on 3rd pair until the trade deadline when we hopefully get some help.

AsiaOil,

You got your vet:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 7m7 minutes ago
    The #Oilers have recalled defenceman Nikita Nikitin from the @Condors and placed defenceman Eric Gryba on Injured Reserve.

Makes sense in that all the kids keep playing in the AHL and Nikki can eat popcorn while they test drive Clendenning.

Maybe someone gets drunk and trades for Nikki?

Whenever I think someone is untradeable I just remember that Shero paid 2 2nds for Doug Murray.

20. Pouzar says:

Honestly.

F^ck this organization.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

22. square_wheels says:

Pouzar,

I think Woodguy has it correct, Niki gathers dust in the press box.

23. Dicky94 says:

It’s the only way we can keep pace with Toronto. Can hardly wait to see him paired with Shultz! Ordering my Keg as we speak.

24. G Money says:

It’s spelled Nikitank Nikitin

25. Pouzar says:

square_wheels:
    Pouzar,

I think Woodguy has it correct, Niki gathers dust in the press box.

If there is a modicum of trade interest in NN I will eat my Jets underwear.
    If not, this organization hasn’t changed a bit. Oesterle/Musil are ripe for a look in the bigs.

26. Centre of attention says:

I was posting on the wrong thread again.

God damnit.

So, Nikitin. Is it because a trade? Cap shenanigans? Please tell me there is another shoe to drop.

27. Aron_S says:

Bah. Would have liked to have seen “former second round pick David Musil” in action. Watching him on my laptop with a mediocre feed just doesn’t do him justice.

Of course the Oilers recall Nikitin. Let hope never die on that trade value, Chia.

Maybe next time.

28. Centre of attention says:

Hold the phone, remember when Chia called up LaLeggia and Miller then sent them back down before putting Eberle on LTIR?

Its cap shenanigans.

29. HeatTreaterJoe says:

Pouzar:
    Honestly.

F^ck this organization.

Amen. What the hell… given the circumstances, the Oilers would benefit by either (i) trying to bring up the best defenceman to help them win games, or (ii) providing one of the bubbling under prospects some time in the NHL to help them better understand what to work on in the off-season. Congratulations Oilers, you’ve managed to accomplish neither.

I’m at the point now where I want the Oilers to trade Nail at the deadline, just so the young man can enjoy some playoff games. Man it would be magic to see Yak score some goals in the post-season (but I’m sure any celebration would still be poo-pooed by some).

30. russ99 says:

Nikitin, that’s pretty funny.

What’s next, Ference is suddenly recovered?

Hopefully the AHL additions come up after the deadline.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

32. square_wheels says:

Sparkle and Fade is over 20 years old, so does this qualify as a Lowetide endorsed classic album then ?
    As usual the daytime posts I can’t comment on, but what kind of fucked up logic came out today because Pouliot had a couple bad penalties ? He’s the exact player you trade and immediately go out looking for…..stop it, just bloody stop trading actual NHL Players.

33. Pouzar says:

HeatTreaterJoe: Amen.What the hell… given the circumstances, the Oilers would benefit by either (i) trying to bring up the best defenceman to help them win games, or (ii) providing one of the bubbling under prospects some time in the NHL to help them better understand what to work on in the off-season.Congratulations Oilers, you’ve managed to accomplish neither.

Yeah but Brandon Davidson proved to be nothing but a 7th defenceman……oh wait.

Le Sigh

34. teddyturnbuckle says:

That’s the sorriest recall list I’ve ever seen. Yikes! How does a team go through a ten year rebuild and still not have good D prospects in the farm.

35. JDï™ says:

Centre of attention: Its cap shenanigans.

Yes. Please be this.

36. Dicky94 says:

Someone better check on LT.

37. flyfish1168 says:

Woodguy:

Maybe someone gets drunk and trades for Nikki?

I’d take a fifth rounder and retain salary to get him off the roster

38. sliderule says:

Tell me if I am wrong but Nikitin sounds like money move.

Any of the other suggestions are on two way deals and would get NHL money.

Nikitin is getting NHL money in AHL.

39. Pouzar says:

I’m going to bed.

Jezzuz.

40. teddyturnbuckle says:

Bring up Musil, he was decent last year.

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

This is the best season of Oilers’ hockey yet!

When does the flight with Petrell, Larsen and Belov get in?

Also… hahahahahahahahahahahahahha. Well played Peter, very well played.

42. square_wheels says:

Pouzar,

Niki is not seeing a minute of NHL ice time.

Although if you post the YouTube video of you eating your Jet shorts I will hit the LIKE button 5 thousand times so it goes viral.

43. square_wheels says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Larsen can play on my PP all damn day!

44. square_wheels says:

On the Everclear theme, tomorrow’s post – You Make Me Feel Like a Whore

45. G Money says:

Mr. C. O. Attention may be correct:

Because this (which is what was tweeted) …

is an entirely different thing from this (which was not tweeted) …

The #Oilers have placed defenceman Eric Gryba on Injured Reserve and recalled defenceman Nikita Nikitin from the @Condors

46. Centre of attention says:

G Money,

God I hope I’m right.

These pesky Oilers have a knack for throwing things back in your face when you least expect it.

I’ll remain on guard but I fully expect a guy like Musil or Oesterle to get a look. Who knows maybe they can help? Most players who were recalled this season have an absolute banger of a debut.

The thought of a Davidson-Musil pairing has appeal, they both PK very well and have played together in OKC.

47. JDï™ says:

square_wheels: post the YouTube video of you eating your Jet shorts

The feat sounds more impressive than it actually is.

48. AsiaOil says:

Musil and Oesterle will not get “looks” in EDM – they will get thrown naked to packs of hyenas and ripped apart until only their bones remain. They belong nowhere near this tire fire as they will not help nor be helped given the state of the team. Niki eating popcorn is preferrable.

49. Bruce McCurdy says:

RexLibris:
    Bruce McCurdy,

Love that you’re keeping “Young Willis” a thing.

50. Mantis says:

LT – you’re scaring me. I don’t comment much, but I count on you to keep me level (and talk me down from the ledge from time to time). If you’ve lost it, there truly is no hope.

Let’s see an attempt at balance with a deadline trade, or at the very worst at least the blessing of seeing management make moves that make SENSE. As someone mentioned above, maybe NN can be moved to a GM who has a taste for strong liquor? I’d be willing to contribute a bottle of 18yr old scotch if it would help…

51. HeatTreaterJoe says:

Pouzar: Yeah but Brandon Davidson proved to be nothing but a 7th defenceman……oh wait.

Le Sigh

What I wish more than anything else? I hope Chia has spent the year fuming over bum advice from MacT (“don’t buy out Niki, he’s gold” or “wait till you get a load of Jultz live… Norris **jazz hands**”) and that his final test for MacT was simple:

“Okay Mac, you pick the call-up D-man. Choose wisely”

If the Oilers continue to suck (and I’m starting to fear that the Oilers won’t make the playoffs during McDavid’s ELC), I for one will find it less horrible if there is one less crony around.

52. BONVIE says:

G Money:
    Mr. C. O. Attention may be correct:

Because this (which is what was tweeted) …

is an entirely different thing from this (which was not tweeted) …

Makes sense with the Condors going for a playoff run which will be very helpful experience for all the prospects, your best to get rid of the worst plus minus culprit on the team when your trying to make a run. Adversely im sure Nikitin can impact our annual tank job quite significantly.

53. Bruce McCurdy says:

I’ll say this much for Nikitin. I heard an interview with Gerry Fleming maybe a month ago and he was asked the potenially uncomfortable question about healthy scratching a $4.5 MM defenceman **in the AHL**. He talked about the rotation and how Nikitin had accepted his role within it and on the team as a mentor to the young guys and he raved about how great NN’s attitude had been every single day. Sounded too sincere to not be real.

Now a cynic might say, I’d be smiling too if they were paying me $150 K a week to eat AHL popcorn, but my takeaway was “that’s a real pro that has taken such a down turn to his career and reputation and is still keeping his chin up and a smile on his face.”

None of which is to say that I won’t be cursing him again 15 seconds into his next Oilers shift, but to me that attitude has value and it might have helped his cause when the “Who’s Next?” call came.

Mantis:
    LT – you’re scaring me.I don’t comment much, but I count on you to keep me level (and talk me down from the ledge from time to time).If you’ve lost it, there truly is no hope.

Let’s see an attempt at balance with a deadline trade,or at the very worst at least the blessing of seeing management make moves that make SENSE.As someone mentioned above, maybe NN can be moved to a GM who has a taste for strong liquor?I’d be willing to contribute a bottle of 18yr old scotch if it would help…

I am just kidding, a little :-). The recall is probably tied to cap room at the deadline so does make sense from that pov. I do not think he will play.

55. GCW_69 says:

Who does Musil have to kill to get a call up?

56. G Money says:

GCW_69:
    Who does Musil have to kill to get a call up?

Probably the same guy Hall has to kill to get a call.

57. Aron_S says:

G Money,

*Mic drop*

Centre of attention:

Its cap shenanigans.

Could be

59. BONVIE says:

GCW_69:
    Who does Musil have to kill to get a call up?

Reinhart for sure similar player with Reinhart being a better skater and has some offensive potential. Musil is very different from all of the other defensive prospects Osterle, and LaLeggia the plus minus leader thats been playing quite a bit on the wing this year, i mean the coach actually plays him as a winger which is a bit different then Hunt who starts the shift on defense then the winger sees Hunt blow by and realizes he will play the rest of his shift on D.

60. KSC10032 says:

A question for those who’re CBA savvy regarding the “recall”of Nikitin:

I seem to recall something like this in the dim past, but I may be just confused with some other arcane rule.

61. Water Fire says:

Woodguy:

Jultz – Skating and chaos
    Clendinning – Passing and chaos
    Oesterle – Skating and chaos

I don’t think that Chia would want to do that until Jultz is gone.

My bet is Musil today and Oesterle after the deadline.

I am so completely done with outlier players of infetessimal chance at being enough in the NHL, and completely ill suited to the Oilers needs, even being allowed on the same continent as the team.

Pay them to go to Europe or sign a promise to only play in the AHL. PLEASE only have players with a chance to make the team and to actually help.

As of now there is Broissoit, Reinhart, Khaira and very unlikely because of speed but maybe Yakimov. The rest not a snowball’s of being above replacement. Simpson might make it and be good but he’ll never beat the depth chart on the Oilers.

62. Water Fire says:

Nikitin: me loving Chia’s game. If he moves him I’ll cry tears of joy not because of Nikitin but because GM savvy.

Side note: the only chance it works is if NIkita wants another year in the NHL. If he muffs it this time put a fork in him.

63. RexLibris says:

So I had to step away for awhile and come back and see that they’ve recalled Nikitin.

I have only one response, something I wrote to a Flames fan when we were discussing tanking.

It goes like this:

Oh, you think the tank is your ally, you merely adopted the tank. I was born in it, moulded by it.

64. RexLibris says:

G Money: Probably the same guy Hall has to kill to get a call.

Relax. If Wideman ever even comes close to Hall…they’ll get corresponding minors.

65. RexLibris says:

Bruce McCurdy: In a few more years when he gets to be half my age maybe I’ll let it go. But to me he will be ever Young.

66. One-Timer says:

So confused.My money is on Niki for the call-up.

At a quarter after five, I was joking.

Now I’m crying.

67. AsiaOil says:

Yeah exactly – I have a about zero patience or interest in watching anyone with almost zero chance of making the NHL skate around in a late season death march. Been there – done that – too many times. If we do nothing at the deadline to make the rest of the season worth watching then wake me up at the draft.

…..and no Davidson is not a justification of recalling guys like Musil. Davidson is the ultimate late bloomer with very unusual development path that makes him unique.

Water Fire: Thank You. And then send all three of them to the Flames with 200% salary retained.

68. Water Fire says:

AsiaOil:

Yes, because Davidson can think fast, skate, pass, has a hard enough game and can shoot. If they can’t do all of that trade and try again.

The days of limited skill players is passing because Gary announced it. The limiting factor from now on needs to be ability toward offensive contribution. Everybody can play the whole game, if you can score regulalrly and not have your ass served to you in your helmet you also get paid.

69. Gerta Rauss says:

KSC10032: Is there a clause in the CBA that precludes the Oilers sending Clendening down –at least until after the trade deadline — due to him being acquired via a waiver claim?

70. Pouzar says:

Dustin Nielson ‏@nielsonTSN1260 2h2 hours ago
    Oilers are interested in extending Gryba, at this point preliminary discussions have been had and talks will continue.

71. BONE207 says:

G Money: Probably the same guy Hall has to kill to get a call.

Are you guys saying that the same guy could be doing the reffing and recalling? I wonder if it’s the same guy who drinks my CR? I marked it prior to the last game and I checked it this morning and damn…wouldn’t you know it there was a lot missing again!

72. Centre of attention says:

Pouzar:
    Dustin Nielson ‏@nielsonTSN12602h2 hours ago

Not surprised.

Gryba stays, Fayne goes. Or so it seems. Schultz already has one foot out the door.

73. Yegfoundation says:

Pouzar,

Katz sets the culture for this organization and pays the salaries. The culture appears to be to employ your friends, and make money; in that order.

I don’t think it matters who Katz hires, when they’re brought into this organization they have to work under a culture where winning isn’t the priority. Why would Chia and TMAC, past winners, come to an organization that isn’t serious about winning? It’s got to be the money.

74. frjohnk says:

Pouzar:
    Dustin Nielson ‏@nielsonTSN12602h2 hours ago

I like this and hope they sign him.

Ive always believed that the Oilers have liked Gryba in the 3rd pairing more than the do Fayne in the top 4 and that they will try to sign Gryba and trade Fayne.

But signing Gryba probably means that the Oilers see Nurse or Davidson in the top 4 for next year.

Klefbom XXXX
    Davidson Sekara
    Nurse Gryba

Because of rookie bonuses and most likely not being in the top 6 for next year, I see the Oilers trading Reinhart as well.

Gerta Rauss: Clendenning woud have to clear waivers prior to the Oilers assigning him to Bakersfield

and the Ducks would get first crack because they lost him on waivers iirc

76. Gerta Rauss says:

Pouzar:
    Dustin Nielson ‏@nielsonTSN12602h2 hours ago

I’ve got no problem with Gryba being re-signed provided it’s a short term deal (no more than 2 years) and the contract starts with a 1.x) My only problem is when they commit to a deal. I think this should be a 2nd week of July transaction, and AFTER they have acquired 1 (preferably 2) RHD that bat higher in the order.

The Oilers really need to keep their committed cap dollars flexible heading into the summer. Get the 2 top end D they need and then fill in the rest of the pieces.

77. BONE207 says:

Pouzar:

pretty interesting.

The thing about that video is that the virtual goalie looks to be about 5’8″ not 6’6″ like a lot of them.

78. Fog of Warts says:

“We can live beside the ocean, leave the fire behind, swim out past the breakers. Watch the world die”

I have trouble recalling the lyrics of “Jingle Bells”. Music and words have never really gone together in my head. I think the notion of a “chorus” must have somehow flipped the switch when I was young. “What? We’re going to sing the same words again? Like they somehow get better after a brief distraction?” Repetition, not really my thing.

Missing the music, I placed the lyrics above somewhere in the double-edged Bermuda triangle formed by Gattaca, Oryx and Crake, and Grave of the Fireflies.

No, that’s not a good place, either.

79. Pouzar says:

frjohnk,

Agree with all that.

80. Gerta Rauss says:

Woodguy: and the Ducks would get first crack because they lost him on waivers iirc

Water Fire,

AsiaOil,

Oesterle is in the same spot Davidson was last year.

22 years old and and the best Dman for the Oilers farm team.

He can skate better than any other Oiler Dman prospect and half the Dmen on the Oiler roster too.

By many reports he makes a good pass and knows where the puck is supposed to go next.

20pts in 37gp is pretty good for a AHL defender.

I wouldn’t lump him into “never will play in the NHL” just yet……..

Gerta Rauss: Not quite, the Ducks have to get in the line like everyone else, but if their claim is successful, THEY can send him directly to the AHL (if they so choose) Anybody else claiming him would have to waive him again prior to (attempting) to send him to the AHL

Thanks for the clarification.

83. Pouzar says:

Woodguy:
    Water Fire,

AsiaOil,

Oesterle is in the same spot Davidson was last year.

22 years old and and the best Dman for the Oilers farm team.

20pts in 37gp is pretty good for a AHL defender.

I wouldn’t lump him into “never will play in the NHL” just yet……..

This.

84. Centre of attention says:

Pouzar,

Woodguy,

Bruce McCurdy,

Very interesting quote from our very own GM Peter Chiarelli on how to project on and handle young defensemen. In this case he’s talking about Hanifin.

“He’s right in the discussion, but one of the issues is, like all young defencemen he plays some sheltered minutes. That’s how you bring along your young defencemen. We all shelter them when we can. So this is a challenge for us, sorting through all the minutes these guys play.”

*Looks at the handling of Nurse in his rookie year*

One of these things is not like the other.

The piece is here. Decent read by our resident paid troll Mr. Spector. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/projecting-team-north-america-for-the-world-cup-of-hockey/

85. Gerta Rauss says:

Centre of attention,

Our 3rd line center, Ryan Nugent Hopkins!!

🙂

86. Norman Greenbaum says:

Centre of attention,

To be fair, Chia did say “we all shelter them when we can.”

So, with the awesome defensive depth of the Oilers, and the fact nobody wants to trade anyone for anyone and we don’t want overpaid Ufa’s, who should we have sheltered Nurse with?

87. Centre of attention says:

Norman Greenbaum,

You make a point.

I just find it hilariously contradictive that he says specifically:

“Like all young defencemen he plays some sheltered minutes. That’s how you bring along your young defencemen.”

And then I see Nurse drowning some nights leading all rookies in the NHL with total time on ice. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

88. Pouzar says:

Centre of attention:
    Norman Greenbaum,

You make a point.

I just find it hilariously contradictive that he says specifically:

He’s looked a lot better recently since the all star break. Thank Gord.

89. HeatTreaterJoe says:

Norman Greenbaum:
    Centre of attention,

Petry? Oh wait.. that’s on the previous regime…
    Dougie Hamilton? *ducks and runs*

90. Centre of attention says:

Pouzar: He’s looked a lot better recently since the all star break. Thank Gord.

Which speaks volumes about how resilient Darnell is, given the amount of pressure he has had to endure.

It also speaks volumes about how contradictive the Oiler management have been since Chiarelli took over.

Bob fricken’ Nicholson told me on National Tv that they were thinking about trading Eberle and/or Nuge.

Chiarelli is now re-thinking the logic behind such moves.

He then goes and tells a well-known local columnist about how he thinks young D should be handled, only to contradict what he’s actually doing with the team he manages.

Oh, those Oilers.

91. unca miltie says:

Just turned on the TV in my room in fargo. Wild 4 flames 2. Nice

92. Pouzar says:

Centre of attention: Which speaks volumes about how resilient Darnell is, given the amount of pressure he has had.

Chiarelli is now re-thinking the logic behind such moves.

He goes and tells a well-known columnist about how he thinks young D should be handled, only to contradict what he’s actually doing with the team he manages.

Oh, those Oilers.

93. Bruce McCurdy says:

RexLibris: Is this one of those equidistant points on the horizon things where Willis will perpetually be half your age?

No no it is a easily calculable date that will occur only once. E.g. a person will be half of one of their parent’s age when they reach the exact age the parent was when they were born.

The difference in age between two people is unchanging, but the ratio is always closing.

94. Pouzar says:

unca miltie:
    Just turned on the TV in my room in fargo. Wild 4 flames 2. Nice

Say hello to Happy Harry for me!

95. AsiaOil says:

That is the same old foolishness that results in us playing a rookie on the top pair by Christmas as a 2nd pair guy become a top pair guy after one injury. Stop the madness – get some depth and have young guys on the 3rd pair or the AHL. Anything else and we are having the same conversations about the draft next year. Chia got a major pass this year because he got the position late – not so next year.

frjohnk: I like this and hope they sign him.

96. Centre of attention says:

Pouzar: I honestly don’t know what to think about this regime. I hope Chia knocks it out of the park this summer. I am not optimistic.

Not going to lie, I was super excited when they announced Chiarelli as the new GM as well as President of Hockey Ops.

But ever since the draft I’ve had a weird feeling. No 5 alarm “Dave Nonis Clarkson contract” red flags yet but there have been some decisions made that run contrary to what you would expect from a team trying to win hockey games.

I’ll leave my criticism at that, for now.

Agreed on this summer as well. This summer pretty much defines the rest of McDavids ELC, which is pretty damn important last time I checked.

97. McSorley33 says:

Lost in the league wide laughter at the NN recall, is the fact our farm coach said his best D-man the last 6 weeks is not named Reinheart or Musil.

98. Norman Greenbaum says:

Centre of attention,

Don’t forget that it was very nearly the Craig McTavish Clarkson contract!

Good night, folks!

99. G Money says:

Bruce McCurdy,

I think what Rex is saying is that your explanation is true for regular people.

I’m quite confident that you and Young Willis will always be 2:1, no matter what.

I think you might be able to break the spell if one of you gets on a near-lightspeed vehicle for a few years, but I’m pretty sure that would just result in a one-time change to the ratio.

If you do try that, go for e.

100. AsiaOil says:

But he’s smaller than Davidson by quite a bit, less capable defensively, and has never shown much offense at any level. So he’s a pretty marginal prospect and it’s hard to project any kind of NHL role for him. He’s Shultz lite which is a scary thought. Davidson showed some offense in junior and was the defensive leader in Oklahoma by his last year. So no comparison really – and he’ll be 24 in a few months (June).

Woodguy:
    Water Fire,

AsiaOil,

Oesterle is in the same spot Davidson was last year.

22 years old and and the best Dman for the Oilers farm team.

20pts in 37gp is pretty good for a AHL defender.

I wouldn’t lump him into “never will play in the NHL” just yet……..

101. McSorley33 says:

Echo others comments on new regime……

Our guy, actually traded for Korpse.

And what is Mr. Reinhart projecting to be?

Besides Talbot, Not many positives.

Writing biggest cheque for a UFA ….is nice, but not a high skill function.

I am hopeful, but also a realist.

102. HeatTreaterJoe says:

McSorley33:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahha… *sobs uncontrollably into a beer… no, straight to bourbon tonight*

103. Bruce McCurdy says:

Flames down 2, refs give them multiple powerplay opportunities.

Put Hall on the receiving end of anyof those fouls & it’s just a hockey play.

104. Bruce McCurdy says:

AsiaOil:

Give Oesterle a break. He’s Taylor Chorney lite.

105. Bruce McCurdy says:

Calgary finally scores on their third powerplay of the third period & Kelly Hrudey is whining that Dubnyk should get a penalty for firing the puck away.

A Sportsnet Oiler broadcast would be busy talking about how that was a good hockey play by the opponent & what a good team they are & oh yeah isnt that Jonathan Toews just the best player since the legalization of the forward pass?

106. G Money says:

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!

Figured out the imgur API, and now I can automatically upload all my NerdAlert charts as they are generated.

Everything else, including the tables, is also now directly spit out as HTML.

The whole thing, save the game commentary at the front, is now automagically generated!

Plus I added the experimental WOWY chart AND the NHL video highlight package at the end.

Check it out!

107. Bruce McCurdy says:

Sportsnet Oiler — where every game feels like an away game.

108. Centre of attention says:

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 2h2 hours ago
    Therrien says he feels Subban could have made a better decision and put himself in a bad position. Subban said he lost an edge.

*ring ring*

“Hey Mark, its me Peter again, just wondering about Subban…”

109. speeds says:

I can see why people might have wanted EDM to take a look at a D besides NN, but if there’s a non-zero chance he can be moved retaining half the $, maybe it’s worth giving him a couple games? Worst case you could demote him later if he’s not traded and recall another D to play out the year, if that’s what they want to do.

unca miltie:
    Just turned on the TV in my room in fargo. Wild 4 flames 2. Nice

How is babe?

111. LoDog says:

Meh.

If there is any chance nn can be traded do it.

Osterle and or musil get their chance after the trade deadline.

Next year will be different, I promise.

112. Professor Q says:

With Ramo out, I think maybe all the Canadian teams will be racing steadily for last place.

Imagine an all-Canadian trio of lottery winners?

113. Professor Q says:

Bruce McCurdy:

~Bruce hates Toews~

114. Regretzky says:

G Money,

Nikita Wetankin! Haha..

115. LoDog says:

Bruce McCurdy:

All that astrology must make you bitter. Never change, never change.

G your data is awesome but imo visual needs work.

I know my clients would not call those dashboards. Grest work just want it to be more accessible.

116. G Money says:

LoDog: G your data is awesome but imo visual needs work.
    I know my clients would not call those dashboards

1 – I’m open to any and all suggestions for new visualizations, improvements, etc

2 – are your clients data visualization experts? (serious question – your statement implies they have some expertise)

3 – note that the only charts I call dashboards are the sparklines charts showing all players at one time on a single page – hence, dashboard. http://i.imgur.com/ePj1Qh3.png

I tweet those out or publish them here, I don’t publish them as NerdAlerts.

The rest are visualizations of certain specific data sets intended to chart a specific aspect of the game.

Some of my charts and tables are fairly standard stuff.

Some of it is state of the art for (public data sourced) hockey stat viz – in addition to the player dashboard, which is unique to me as far as I know, I don’t for example know of anyone charting the gameflows of individual players, let alone defense pairs and forward lines. [I only show the defenders, but I generate charts for every single player]

4 – regardless … see point #1

117. Yeti says:

LoDog: All that astrology must make you bitter. Never change, never change.

If Bruce has swapped astronomy for astrology then I fear he has changed beyond recognition.

118. Yeti says:

G Money: I’m not the only one doing this stuff, but I am contributing in my own way to a data ecosystem that is second to none. We may have the shittiest team in the league, but our deconstruction of that team is state of the art!

You have a rare talent for pulling apart shit and putting back together in a way that makes it look real pretty.

119. GCW_69 says:

Centre of attention:
    Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC2h2 hours ago

*ring ring*

“Hey Mark, its me Peter again, just wondering about Subban…”

Montreal is going to want a centre back. Leon or Nuge?

120. PhrankLee says:

Pouzar:

pretty interesting.

121. limit says:

G Money,

I like it! Season summary on 1 page. Hey NN is blue, could have some value!

122. sliderule says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Remenda hates the oilers.

Past history with six rings ,perhaps?

123. frjohnk says:

PhrankLee: I’m pretty proud of him in this segment, truthfully. He has had some extreemely shaky moments as a broadcaster. This is a good starting point to a good argument.

That’s fantastic stuff.

I wonder which goalies this would affect the most.

124. stevezie says:

GCW_69: Montreal is going to want a centre back. Leon or Nuge?

Correct. You phonethem and say, “Nuge or Drai? Bothare in the table!”

That fish is worth it.

125. PhrankLee says:

frjohnk: That’s fantastic stuff.

I wonder which goalies this would affect the most.

Some of the images of Lundqvist in his shoulder pads are ridiculous. His shoulder pads come up to his ears!

I would wager a guess that any goalie less than 6’4″ would be effected up high.

It’s to the tall goalie’s disadvantage to shorten the pads, though. There would be a lot of 5 hole goals if there was a limit above the knee.

The NHL and NHLPA has a can of worms to sort through on this.

126. PhrankLee says:

Centre of attention:
    Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC2h2 hours ago

*ring ring*

“Hey Mark, its me Peter again, just wondering about Subban…”

Yak, Davidson and 2016 1st. Unprotected, of course.

All the “you-dont-let-go-of-a-contract-like-davidson..re:value” guys can take it easy.

Value is value. He would be the nicest sweetener we have without giving up anyone named Oscar or Darnell.

127. frjohnk says:

PhrankLee: Some of the images of Lundqvist in his shoulder pads are ridiculous.His shoulder pads come up to his ears!

I would wager a guess that any goalie less than 6’4″ would be effected up high.

The NHL and NHLPA has a can of worms to sort through on this.

My old man says compared to yesteryear goalies, most of todays goalies wear a sheet of plywood.

128. GCW_69 says:

I watched some of the Avs game last night as they are my second favourite team. Don’t get to watch them often.

There is a lot of chaos in their game, but man it was nice to watch a team play without a sense of doom clouding the experience.

It really sucks being an Oilers fan. #fanabuse

129. kinger_OIL says:

PhrankLee,

– You do Ebs-Nurse for Subban (and whatever else you need back to balance it out)

– I’d try as hard as heck, as MTL has always had love/hate with Malcom

130. Bruce McCurdy says:

PhrankLee: Yak, Davidson and 2016 1st. Unprotected, of course.

Value is value, and the difference in pay between Subban and Davidson ($9 MM vs. $585 K) would be about as large as possible. It would have to be made up from elsewhere on the payroll.

The issue isn’t Davidson, the issue is value. If Subban replaces a guy who is outperforming his contract by $2 MM, then he needs to play like an $11 MM player instead of a”just” a $9 MM player for the deal to make economic sense.

Now maybe you think PK is worth that and are prepared to pay any price. But if you strip away value contracts around him, who the hell is going to play with him?

131. pts2pndr says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Thanks Bruce! I was beginning to think it was only me. I guess we chock it up to because Oilers!

132. rickithebear says:

#24 Souray 11.35
    #25 Smid 11.47
    ————————– 20 of top 26
    #40 Grebs 12.04
    #42 Visnovskky 12.13
    #44 Gilbert 12.19
    ———————————————gives a good idea of d required.

Since lockout:

#45 Ference 12.24
    #59 Marincin 12.81
    #60 j. schultz 12.86
    #87 Aulie 15.84

15-16
    #7 Davidson (2nd) 9.25
    The guy that could have played 3rd pair for 05-06 team! Morons want to trade him?
    #12 Klefbom (1st) 10.12
    #37 Sekera (1st) 11.84
    #39 Fayne (1st) 11.98
    —————————-
    #62 J. schultz 12.89
    #66 Gryba 13.11
    #76 Nurse 13.99 He is not ready!

the other 4 top 40:

#29 Fayne 14-15 (1st ) 11.57
    #30 N. schultz 13-14 (bot 1st) 11.59
    #33 Petry 14-15 (2nd) 11.74
    #37 Sekera (1st) 11.84
    #39 Fayne (top 10) 11.98
    #41 Klefbom 14-15 (bot 2nd) 12.09

10.65 is top half of league!

133. rickithebear says: