OILERS RECALL JORDAN OESTERLE

The Edmonton Oilers recalled Jordan Oesterle from the Bakersfield Condors this afternoon. This is the kind of recall we should expect from now until the end of the season, and we have talked about it recently. Oesterle represents the baker’s dozen edition of Edmonton’s defense this year:

1. Andrej Sekera 59, 6-15-21
  2. Oscar Klefbom 30, 4-8-12
  3. Justin Schultz 44, 3-7-10
  4. Darnell Nurse 50, 2-6-8
  5. Brandon Davidson 43, 3-4-7
  6. Eric Gryba 53, 1-5-6
  7. Mark Fayne 47, 2-3-5
  8. Griffin Reinhart 15, 0-1-1
  9. Nikita Nikitin 8, 0-1-1
  10. Adam Clendening 3, 0-1-1
  11. Brad Hunt 7, 0-0-0
  12. Andrew Ference 6, 0-0-0

Oesterle, should he play, would be the 13th defender to skate the blue mile with Edmonton this year. His recall tells us a few things:

• Oscar Klefbom, who is now skating, is not close to returning (this is not a bulletin).
  • Nikita Nikitin may have had some interest from another NHL team. Based on last night’s performance, his demotion would seem to indicate it did not go as well as expected. He was demoted to make room for Oesterle.
  • Adam Clendening may be failing his audition. In his three games, Clendening has shown flashes but has not grabbed a job.
  • Griffin Reinhart is on the farm to play hockey.

It does not tell us if the club has finally decided to back off from the crazy minutes being played by Darnell Nurse (who remains the league leader in minutes per game by a rookie defenseman). It does not tell us if there is a plan to recall other defensemen (David Musil is the one remaining curio, suspect men like Dillon Simpson, Joey Laleggia and others may have to wait).

A FEW THINGS ABOUT OESTERLE

• Oesterle played college at Western Michigan under Andy Murray, former NHL coach.
  • He was impressive in his NHL debut last year.
    • Andrew Ference: “He was really, really good. He had great composure, fantastic skating ability, he was so calm. I remember my first game, I didn’t want to touch the puck and he’s handling and skating up the ice really well and making great plays. It was very impressive.” Source
  • Boxcars: 39gp, 2-20-22
  • Even-Strength: 39, 1-14-15
  • Power Play: 39, 1-5-6
  • Penalty Kill: 39, 0-1-1
  • SOG/Game: 62 shots in 39 games

Oesterle has not been a feature player on the power play this season, but has had time with the man advantage. He ranks No. 6 in team power-play assists:

1. Brad Hunt 12
  2. Andrew Miller 12
  3. Nikita Nikitin 7
  4. Joey Laleggia 7
  5. Matthew Ford 6
  6. Jordan Oesterle 5

81 Responses to "OILERS RECALL JORDAN OESTERLE"

1. RexLibris says:

First time I saw Oesterle in Penticton he impressed.

He was playing the game the right way, head up, making passes, skating and moving from his own zone to open up lanes and doing it without getting himself cornered, as some of the other NHL D are wont to do.

He got his shot through the first defender and used his angles to take away offensive sorties in the highly unstructured environment that is a rookie tournament.

Not sure what we can expect, and it would be nice if he could play behind some better D, but hopefully McLellan keeps him out to practice for a few days before dressing him.

2. alice13 says:

I used to get ads for Russian brides.
    Now it’s Neo-Citran

So,
    Who’s been using my computer?
    And… did you wash your hands first?

3. Bank Shot says:

I hope he shows well so the Oilers can use him in a trade for an established defender.

4. MrEd says:

If we pick top 5, will our pick play next year?

Bank Shot:

I think it is more likely we see players ahead of him dealt, and Oesterle might be looking at 7D or so next fall. His trade value would not be high, teams have these types on their own roster.

6. Soup Fascist says:

Sure. Now is the time to bring Oesterle up – but this team needs someone to break up the cycle in addition to offence. I would send Nurse down and bring up Musil in addition to this move.

Musil is at the end of his EL I believe. Despite the fact he is a lefty, might as well we where he is at. Nurse is wandering through the wilderness right now.

7. rickithebear says:

Oesterle:
    6gm #264 /281D 4th comp
    12.67 HSCA60 #225/271 D #8 D results.

Just the d we want for Mathews!

8. MrEd says:

Only Austin would IMO.
    The Finns would play pro at home for a year or two.
    Tkachuk would stay in Jr.
    Chik has a ways to go.

9. MrEd says:

I’m hoping that Osterle can own Klefs spot until he returns. Then he’s retained.

10. AsiaOil says:

Seems like a good guy with some wheels but his window is pretty small as he’s not a kid (he’s 24 in a few months). We also have no one to help these kids with zero depth and all the injuries. Welcome to EDM Jordan – hold on to this anchor, dive into the deep end of the pool, and enjoy your swim.

11. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Nurse playing more minutes than Ghost.

That’s insane.

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    Nurse playing more minutes than Ghost.

That’s insane.

They did it last year with Klefbom too, but Oscar was better able to handle it.

13. LadiesloveSmid says:

rickithebear:
    Oesterle:
    6gm #264 /281D 4th comp
    12.67 HSCA60 #225/271 D #8 D results.

Just the d we want for Mathews!

this is where my disconnect is with you Rick

14. LadiesloveSmid says:

Klefbom got a full year in OKC. Big mistake having Nurse up so damn long

15. Professor Q says:

Oesterle to Eberle!

That could work…

16. Professor Q says:

LadiesloveSmid,

Maybe having him in the NHL so long has sort of sullied improvement after a certain threshold and now the hockey development equivalent of forward neck posture has begun?

Time to devote time to correct that in the AHL?

17. Professor Q says:

Lowetide: They did it last year with Klefbom too, but Oscar was better able to handle it.

I mean, Cam Fowler did it in his Draft +1 season. Well, he played like what, an average of 25-27 minutes per game in his rookie season?

18. square_wheels says:

Missing a second year player this bad goes to show just Chia should never listen to MacT/Howson ever again.

I’m really happy to see Osterle again, world class wheels, terrific lateral movement, passes beautifully…..could he be the offensive version of Davi ?

19. square_wheels says:

Professor Q,

Darnell has the conditioning to log the minutes, few others do. I don’t see his mistakes coming from fatigue, he makes them in all periods.

20. Professor Q says:

square_wheels,

I know he does. I just meant if he plays longer, more often, at this high of a level, if his mistakes won’t be worked on and fixed due to the state of the game at this level (thus get worse) as opposed to the AHL where they could be worked on and hopefully developed and fixed and improved and he himself getting even stronger and more efficient etc.

21. geowal says:

LadiesloveSmid: the fact that it was his first 6 games and he played with Ference doesn’t matter?

this is where my disconnect is with you Rick

Not to mention last season, putting a toe into NHL. Talk about meaningless stats. Maybe if he gets in 6 games we can compare and look for progression.

22. G Money says:

square_wheels: Wonder if G’s new fancy stat indicates Darnell fades as the game goes on. I love the fact he doesn’t lean against the end boards on a PP like Jultz.

VERY interesting question! Very!

Just putting together a viz for the new WOWY data, but let me see if I can answer that one next.

I’m thinking if you look at the seasonal CorsiRel/DangerRel trend over the course of the game, that would give you a differential between the ebb and flow of the team vs the individual defensemen.

23. G Money says:

I’m looking forward to seeing Oesterle.

Given his skating and what looked to me like decent defensive awareness (he played with Ference in his first game as I recall, and dragged Ference to what I think was pretty much his only plus Corsi game of the season), I have Oesterle tagged as the most likely long shot (from the Dept of Oxymorons) for making the NHL.

24. square_wheels says:

Professor Q,

100% agree, he needs shelter and lots of structure added to his game. All the talk of his offence possibly not translating is a bit premature. When the game slows for him he’s going to pick his spots better and use those wheels to slide into great lanes for McD feeds.

He has so much potential, any talk of trading him better be for a someone 2-3 yrs older and possibly RHS……..

25. square_wheels says:

G Money,

I bring it up because my rec game yesterday was the perfect indicator for late game fatigue, my passes went to complete shit.

But then I was thinking that no matter how great of shape you’re in, there can be noticeable mental lapses that show up before the fitness fatigue sets in.

So the question is, can you see veterans, when they make their mistakes, making them at certain times ?

I’d suggest Petrialengelo as a study, something’s off with his past 2 seasons.

26. square_wheels says:

G Money,

That game was arguably the finest first game a call up D has looked in….maybe forever.

I love his wheels, just can’t teach that. His brain looks above average as well.

He’s a keeper if this stint proves he can carry any D currently in the lineup not named Davi or Sekera.

27. MrEd says:

Imagine if Sek goes down. Or if Klef goes down again. Or if Davidson goes down for that matter.

Osterle seems like the answer for term on all three counts.

28. Pouzar says:

Oesterle will make fools of you all.

29. square_wheels says:

Pouzar,

?? We’re already fools, we’ve been talking about this years defence for a decade.

30. Professor Q says:

Pouzar,

In which way?

Clearly it can’t be *all*, for if some are positive and others are negative, he can only really go one way, non, to be fool-making worthy? Which would mean it’d have to be positive or negative and one of the camps would not be fools.

31. Pouzar says:

Professor Q: In which way?

Some of these are jokes.

32. square_wheels says:

Pouzar,

You have a sense of humour ?

I thought you were just miserable like WG.

33. Professor Q says:

Pouzar,

I was trying to be humorous with some anti-humour, myself.

34. Pouzar says:

square_wheels:
    Pouzar,

You have a sense of humour ?

I thought you were justmiserable like WG.

Get off my lawn!

35. Pouzar says:

Professor Q:
    Pouzar,

I was trying to be humorous with some anti-humour, myself.

Good. Cause for a second there I thought you were thinking Oesterle wouldn’t win the Calder!

36. MrEd says:

Or we reserve the right to put things out without back-up. Hockey thoughts.

37. square_wheels says:

Pouzar,

It’s ok to drink on Sunday nights, trust me, it’s all I can think to do to cleanse Tabernac Saturdays.

38. MrEd says:

square_wheels,
    My wife and daughter are skiing. Sunday with drinks is nice.

39. stevezie says:

Oesterle couldn’t fool his mother on the foolingest day of his life with an electric fooling machine.

40. Soup Fascist says:

Professor Q:
    Oesterle to Eberle!

That could work…

Yes. Potentially they could live together in perfect harmony.

41. square_wheels says:

MrEd,

I was deep into the foothills today, McLean creek area. There is no snow at all.

I wonder how many years until Nikiska is closed, the Nordic centre in Canmore right behind it.

Maybe it’s just the El Nino year. Of course that’s Spanish for The Nino.

42. AsiaOil says:

Good way to put it – he’s a few months older than Clendening, a year older than Klef, a year younger than Davidson.

So he’s a leftie who plays RHD?

G Money:

43. Pouzar says:

G Money: and dragged Ference to what I think was pretty much his only plus Corsi game of the season)

Oesterle played 57 of his 79 min with Captain last year and posted a 49.6 CF %.
    Not too f^ckin shabby SSS notwithstanding.
    He was 53.6 away from the anchor.

44. Pouzar says:

Oesterle had 25 points in 65 games last year.
    Has 22 in 39 this year. That’s called improvement.

45. square_wheels says:

Pouzar,

Play him with Davi, which is the likely move and watch him pre-earn a spot out of camp next year.

46. Mattaklap says:

Not north yet, but he can at least get us headed east. Maybe by Easter.

47. Pouzar says:

square_wheels: Last year the game seemed a bit too heavy for him, so my only concern is has he learned to be better positioned on the defensive side of the puck ?

Fleming said he was their best d-man this past 6 weeks and he specifically mentioned his positioning.
    The guy is a gifted skater and at 180 lbs the game will seem too heavy at times I’m sure. His calling card his moving the puck so this is exactly the type of guy we should be looking at. Long shot indeed but intriguing player here.

48. square_wheels says:

Pouzar,

But instead we picked up Clendening on waivers……oh those Oilers 🙂

Godspeed Jordan, hope you ge to play with an actual NHL calibre partner.

49. geowal says:

square_wheels:
    Maybe it’s just the El Nino year. Of course that’s Spanish for The Nino.

That video was wonderful. I was about to point out what it meant, but Farley is better.

50. kinger_OIL says:

– I assume Nurse is playing in the NHL because organization feels its best development plan

– I’d rather have him playing 25 mins with Griff in the AHL, training as the bottom pair next season

– I just went through our games: we’ve won 12 games in regulation this year: What’s the least amount of regulation wins, post-Bettman point era?
    P.S. Osterle would be a nice throw-in to a team looking to trade, and I don’t mean that in a mean way: you develop players partly to sell them off as parts of a package deal.

51. JDï™ says:

Pouzar: The guy is a gifted skater and at 180 lbs the game will seem too heavy at times I’m sure.

Westerly has 20 lbs on Ghost Bear.

52. Pouzar says:

JDï™: Just watch Ghost Bear play with Philly. He can read the play, move the puck really well, and skate like a demon possessed. He will cut a tight circle back if the pass isn’t there for him, and wait out the forecheckers until he can move it safely and effectively. He makes playing in the NHL look easier than it is.

Westerly has 20 lbs on Ghost Bear.

Yup. Was going to mention him. 160 lbs. Crazy

53. verite says:

JDï™,

Another sad indictment of the Oilers.
    REINHART AND NURSE will never approach that ability.
    Sad

54. JDï™ says:

verite: REINHART AND NURSE will never approach that ability.

Thank you for your opinion, however baseless and biased it may be.

55. Professor Q says:

square_wheels:
    MrEd,

Maybe it’s just the El Nino year. Of course that’s Spanish for The Nino.

Wow, now that I think of it, it IS fitting that Bowie left us during an El Niño year.

“You remind me of the babe.”

“What babe?”

“The babe with the power.”

56. jp says:

Nice to see Oesterle get another look. Hope he can keep his head above water or close!

square_wheels:
    Professor Q,

100% agree, he (Nurse) needs shelter and lots of structure added to his game. All the talk of his offence possibly not translating is a bit premature. When the game slows for him he’s going to pick his spots better and use those wheels to slide into great lanes for McD feeds.

How much offense should we be expecting from Nurse though? He can skate, but his Jr. career doesn’t suggest a ton of pro scoring.

Among recent Oilers D who played CHL (there are surprisingly few) his numbers are very similar to Davidson, Ference, Marincin, Nick Schultz and Barker. Not exactly a who’s who of offensive defensemen.

Better than the crew he outscored though: Reinhart, Musil, Aulie, Fraser, Fistric, Peckham.

If Nurse turns out, he’s likely a shutdown D who can chip in 25-30 Pts. He is not a PP quarterback though. So don’t be too disappointed if the offense “dries up”!!

57. DRFNsuperstar says:

When will Bear get his ELC? He is lighting up the Dub. Carrier said this summer “he isn’t into the fitness thing yet” well if this is what happens after one month of working out watch out for Ethan Bear!

58. G Money says:

I have DangerousFenwick WOWY visualizations!

OK, you’re probably not as excited as I am. Not to bias you (because I need feedback), but I think it’s some cool shit.

Here is Taylor Hall:

Which tells you with aching clarity something we already know about Taylor Hall:

a. he tilts the ice and makes EVERYONE better (notice how the brownish red balls are below the black and the green). Black = Hall with that player, green = Hall without the player, brown = the player without Hall.

And also tells us something we might not have picked up:

b. Taylor Hall misses Oscar Klefbom like crazy. (Notice how incredibly strong they are together)

59. G Money says:

A few more for you before I crash … the extremely consistent Andrej Sekera.

60. G Money says:

Lauri Korpikoski is the anti-Taylor Hall, and drags EVERYONE down:

61. G Money says:

Last one. The impressive Brandon Davidson makes most players better, but even he can’t save Korpi’s line:

62. Yeti says:

G Money:

Wonderful stuff!
    I can’t believe you didn’t run Schultz in your initial four. 🙂

63. G Money says:

Yeti,

I have every player! Just picked four interesting ones.

Jultz is interesting, a weird mixture of good and bad, as you’d probably expect:

64. maudite says:

I can’t wait until Geoff smith and brian glynn finally get back…

65. Genjutsu says:

Professor Q,

RE: Dave Hodge.

He’s a troll in the same vein as the rest of his panel on the reporters and others like them, the filthy scum that they are.

The only way to deal with them is known. Don’t watch them, don’t read them. Change the channel and/or don’t click on the link/buy the paper.

In words of Paul Anka:

Just don’t look!

66. jp says:

G Money:
    Yeti,

I have every player!Just picked four interesting ones.

Very nice stuff G.

Schultz doesn’t look bad overall here.

Another weird combo I noticed is Sekera-RNH. Very, very bad together.

67. Pouzar says:

Frank Seravalli ‏@frank_seravalli 3m3 minutes ago
    TRADE: #Leafs send Roman Polak and Nick Spaling to #SJSharks in exchange for 2nd round picks in 2017 & 2018 and Raffi Torres. #TradeCentre

68. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Pouzar,

It’s not quite Doug Murray for two 2nd’s but that’s a pretty nice return for Polak and Spaling.

69. Centre of attention says:

If they get 2 second rounders for Polak & Spaling I wonder what Tedd will fetch..

70. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Centre of attention,

Less.

Bloggers are not GMs, and GMs still place a premium value on the Polak’s of the world.

There was an article in the National Post about what Toronto would get for its assets with interviews with scouts from around the league.

The statement on Polak was a 2nd and a prospect. He was considered their most valuable piece.

They were pretty darn close.

71. speeds says:

Anyone think EDM still tries to move Gryba anyways? Maybe something conditional so that the other team pays a significantly lower price if Gryba isn’t healthy by the playoffs?

72. Lloyd B. says:

speeds,

They have nothing to lose. Why not They can resign him in the summer once all the hoopla passes and he is on the outside looking in if they need a 7.

73. russ99 says:

jp

His play this year discounts some of the juniors projections. If he can keep rushing to the net and firing from the point, he’ll put up decent boxcars.

74. Pouzar says:

Chris Nichols
    ‏@NicholsOnHockey
    Friedman: “This is what I heard last week. Watch Edmonton. I think there’s a lot of people that could end up going there.” #Oilers

75. Pouzar says:

Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey 8m8 minutes ago
    Friedman: “I think Edmonton’s got a lot of balls in the air” on the trade front. #Oilers

76. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Pouzar:
    Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey8m8 minutes ago

This here is the definition of cryptic haha

Edit: ok the second tweet kind of cleared it up

77. Pouzar says:

Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey 5m5 minutes ago
    Friedman: “I think even guys like Korpikoski and possibly even Matt Hendricks could end up going there.” #Oilers

Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey 6m6 minutes ago
    Friedman: “Purcell, I think there’s a few teams that have asked about him,” including #FlaPanthers if they don’t get Ladd. #Oilers #NHLJets

Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey 8m8 minutes ago
    Friedman: “Schultz, I’ve talked about the connection w/ Tampa Bay.” #TBLightning #Oilers

78. Lloyd B. says:

Pouzar:
    Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey8m8 minutes ago

This is kind of like the old timey high school dances where the boys lined up on one side of the gym and the girls on the other. The longest walk in the world to get to the other side. Made a guy nervous as hell. Excited…but nervous.

79. Pouzar says:

Lloyd B.: This is kind of like the old timey high school dances where the boys lined up on one side of the gym and the girls on the other. The longest walk in the world to get to the other side.Made a guy nervous as hell. Excited…but nervous.

Just do something Chia. I don’t care what it is. Just do something.

80. jp says:

russ99: He’s contributing to offense this year when he’s being overplayed and in over his head as a rookie.

Absolutely. But 25-30 Pts is contributing imo. Nothing wrong with that, though I don’t see him getting a lot of PP1 time through his career.

If folks are disappointed with his offense so far, I think it likely reflects inflated expectations.

81. Centre of attention says:

Granlund to Vancouver, Calgary picks up Hunter Shinkaruk.

Per Canucks Army: