COMBING THROUGH THE HINTERLANDS, PART 2

In the final installment of my trade deadline series, I will look at 15 teams with legit prospects who might be available at the deadline—specifically, their prospects lists outside North American pro (CHL, College, Euro pro and amateur).

The AHL looks are here:

The NHL look is here:

Part one of the hinterlands is here

JUNIOR, COLLEGE AND EUROPE (TEAMS 16-30)

• Montreal Canadiens: C Jake Evans. An undersized skill forward with slick moves, he is at a point-per-game for Notre Dame (NCAA). C Lukas Vejdemo is a solid two-way forward (6.02, 194) who is delivering well (15 points in 46 games) in his first full SHL season.
  • Nashville Predators: L Jimmy Vesey. Fantastic two-way prospect with some scary boxcars (26, 20-18-38 with Harvard) in his senior college season. Unlikely Nashville trades him, but then again they also have to sign him. D Jack Dougherty came from US college to the WHL with the reputation of being a good passer and sound defensively. The numbers (56, 9-37-46) have impressed—similar to Caleb Jones in the WHL—and he may be a more complete player.
  • New Jersey Devils: C Blake Speers. Slightly undersized center with a range of skills, has not posted big offensive numbers in his Draft+1 season (56, 16-39-55) in the OHL. D Steve Santini. A big, strong defender who has some offense, stepping up in that area this season (32, 1-15-16 in the NCAA).
  • New York Islanders: G Ilya Sorokin has a .954SP in 30 KHL games. Incredible. R Josh Ho Sang. One dimensional scorer who brings a lot of differing opinions. His explosiveness would be a very attractive item for the Oilers.
  • New York Rangers: L Pavel Buchnevich. He is 59gp, 16-22-38 in the KHL, and has NHL speed and a great shot. He is 6.02, 176. C Boo Nieves. A big center with skill, the offense in college (25, 6-15-21) has not been phenomenal, but he is a strong, rugged player and that will appeal to the Oilers.
  • Ottawa Senators: D Andreas Englund. Big (6.03, 200) prospect with mobility and good passing ability, a lot of his value is going to be defensive. C Filip Chlapik. Two-way center whose offense (43 points in 43 games in the Q) probably means a 3C—still, he is a nice prospect.
  • Philadelphia Flyers: G Felix Sandstrom. A quality prospect, boasts a .910SP in the SHL. C Nicolas Aube-Kubel. A two-way center, he’s aggressive and is a good skater—plus he has 75 points in 50 QMJHL games in his Draft+1 season.
  • Pittsburgh Penguins: C Teddy Blueger. A nifty centerman with crazy skill, he also has two-way ability so could make it to the NHL in more than one way.
  • San Jose Sharks: D Jeremy Roy. Intelligent two-way defender (a righty) who has been good-not-great in his Draft+1 season. L Adam Helewka. WHL overager I have heard a few good things about, skilled but has other elements to his game.
  • St. Louis BluesG Ville Husso. His consistent play in the SM-Liiga is captivating: .923, .915 and .920 respectively as a starter in the past three seasons.
  • Tampa Bay Lightning: C Brayden Point. An impressive offensive player with a range of skills (good in the dot). Just 5.10, 170. L Dennis Yan. A scoring winger with size (6.02, 184) having a solid year in the Q (51, 29-33-62).
  • Toronto Maple Leafs: C Dmytro Timashov. I liked him so much in his draft year I wrote about him. Fabulous Draft+1 season. D Andrew Nielson. A big two-way defender has spiked offensively this season in the WHL.
  • Vancouver Canucks: G Thatcher Demko. Outstanding prospect posting a .938 SP currently for Boston College (NCAA).
  • Washington Capitals: D Jonas Siegenthaler. A smooth skating defender, good size, makes the simple play and can pass the puck.
  • Winnipeg Jets: D Jack Glover. Big two-way defender (righty) has not developed as hoped since draft day, but he can skate and has skill. R Michael Spacek. Skilled, hard-working winger from Czech found his way to the Red Deer Rebels and has enjoyed a good Draft+1 season (49, 15-30-45).

142 Responses to "COMBING THROUGH THE HINTERLANDS, PART 2"

1. GCW_69 says:

Oilers need ask the help they can get. If Schultz was to return one of these guys I will be thrilled. If Purcell does, I will be pleased.

2. Snowman says:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 36s36 seconds ago
    Edmonton trades the rights of Philip Larsen to Vancouver for a 5th round pick in 2017. Larsen is in the KHL. #TradeCentre

And it begins… sort of.

Also, Khaira recalled. Larsen’s rights were a question mark (teams can renounce rights), but that is a crazy trade for the Oilers on a guy who is having a pretty good season across the pond.

4. Snowman says:

I wonder if Chia tried to talk to him and he said piss off I’m not going back there.

He’s a decent player for sure.

5. Магия 10 says:

Snowman: Philip Larsen

Horcoff return is now a 5th in 2017 and a 7th in 2016.

6. RexLibris says:

Lowetide Retweeted
    Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 6m6 minutes ago

Doubt Larsen was going to come back to Edmonton, but that Chiarelli got a 5th for him from a divisional rival? Wow.

Nice work.

Now, about Schultz, Korpikoski and Purcell…

(I’m not even going to entertain thoughts about Nikitin)

7. stevezie says:

I take it you mean crazy good? I’m impressed they got anything.

On the other hand they are starved for defenceman and if you want to argue they’re dumb to give any away for a fifth I see what you’re saying.

8. RexLibris says:

Магия 10: Horcoff return is now a 5th in 2017 and a 7th in 2016.

I think the Oilers moved the 2016 7th rounder for the 7th rounder they used on Svoboda this past June.

Yep, swap of picks with the Lightning. http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/Search/SearchResults.php?Player=&Team=oilers&BeginDate=2015-04-01&EndDate=2016-02-24&PlayerMovementChkBx=yes&submit=Search&start=25

9. stush18 says:

Snowman:

He’s a decent player for sure.

I think it’s more chia asked if he was interested in a return to the NHL.

Larssen says yes, and chia convinces benning he’s coming back.

Can’t wait for verdud to bemoan useful players being shipped away for nothing useful haha

10. RJ2016 says:

LT:

The Flyers have a ton of highly rated defensive prospects. Hockey’s Future ranked Gostisbehere as only their fourth-best prospect at the start of the season. I appreciate their development strategy; it’s better to leave a prospect in the AHL for 20 games too long than too few.

Broad Street Hockey has noted they simply aren’t going to be able to keep them all long-term. You didn’t find any of their AHL/NCAA prospects or any of their younger roster defencemen appealing? From looking at Flyers prospects, they’re more loath to trade a forward prospect because they have comparatively fewer of them.

Thanks.

Larsen’s fancies were decent.

Hope to see him in the NHL again.

Good for Chia monetizing an asset he wasn’t (presumably) going to use.

12. Water Fire says:

They would never use him, better to take the assets. They should turn every player they don’t like into picks and move from there. No point losing them for nothing

Edit: Woodguy with the underhanded sneak in

13. AsiaOil says:

TSN has ARZ shopping Marty Hanzal. Always liked that guy. He’s 29 with one more year at $3.5 million before UFA. Yak for Hanzal?

14. Klima's_Bucket says:

The Oilers got a 5th for KHL Dman Larsen.

The return on Schultz will be better.
    That’s insane.

AsiaOil:

All day.

16. Water Fire says:

I hI

Woodguy: Larsen’s fancies were decent.

Hope to see him in the NHL again.

Good for Chia monetizing an asset he wasn’t (presumably) going to use.

I hope to see him too, on the Avs or Stars

17. AsiaOil says:

I have this strange desire for Shultz to be dealt in conference so we can play him as much as possible.

Klima’s_Bucket:
    The return on Schultz will be better.

18. RexLibris says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    The Oilers got a 5th for KHL Dman Larsen.

The return on Schultz will be better.
    That’s insane.

Not completely certain that the return for Schultz will be.

I mean, I’m hoping like hell that it is, but Larsen has the advantage of having a reputation separated by time and space from his numbers.

Schultz is still fresh in everyone’s mind and they can look at his play right up to the present.

LT has his value as a 3rd round pick, I believe, but I’m preparing myself for a 5th or 6th rounder.

Ideally I’d like to see PC target a contract exchange for Schultz, going after a prospect from an interested team. Retaining salary becomes a necessity there, but if he could pickpocket a good prospect from a team for Schultz I’d call that a win.

19. geowal says:

AsiaOil:

20. Water Fire says:

I’m on my phone so won’t link but the stats blog 538 has a hockey piece up that shows our beloveds in a favorable light.

21. Water Fire says:

AsiaOil:

The Kings or Hawks could use a player like that

22. AsiaOil says:

I doubt that happens and I’m sure a few guys who watched him give away games for literally years would enjoy the opportunity.

geowal: You’d know the curse of past oilers is real if he managed to do well against us.

23. Truth says:

Purcell will be interesting. Traded for Gagner to TB, then TB flipped him (Gagner) for a 6th, IIRC. With the crazy prices lately you have to think the Oilers will turn quite a profit on trading Purcell.

24. kooler says:

Larsen…always liked him, should of tried him at wing.
    He’ll come back to haunt us….they all do.

25. DBO says:

Hanzal would a great fit as a 3c. Would take more then Yak though. But that would be a fit style and size wise for sure. Allows them to run Draisatl as a RW with Nuge and Hall.

26. stevezie says:

AsiaOil: Marty Hanzal

If you get Hanzal you can talk about dealing Nuge or Drai. I know years of control is a big deal, but this would be a great get.

Or you could just move Drai to the wing and go a long, long way to solving the size problem. Possibly all the way.

Yak and a bunch more. I’ll bet Reinhart gets you closer.

27. RexLibris says:

Truth:

On Purcell, yes. But if you trace it back to the draft, the Oilers missed out on winning the lottery by beating the Flames in the last game of the year, then they draft Gagner, spend several years trying to develop him (improperly) and now can recoup maybe a 2nd round pick nine years after selecting him 6th overall.

Yeah, Mr. Depressing, I know. But you are right that of that three-way deal the Oilers appear to have come out the best of the bunch.

28. Truth says:

Brennan Klak ‏@nhlupdate 14m14 minutes ago
    Philip Larsen finished 5th in KHL D scoring for the regular season. Who tied for 1st? Former Oiler and Canuck Cam Barker.

’nuff said.

29. AsiaOil says:

I think a Purcell deal has to wait for Ladd, Boedker, Eriksson to move then he’s on-deck. He’s appealing as he’s known to play well with talent and we should not be afraid of keeping salary to get a better deal (on anyone really, not just Purcell).

Truth:

30. Centre of attention says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 5m5 minutes ago
    VAN intends to sign Larsen on July 1 and have him join the NHL team for the 2016-17 season. #tradecentre #TSN

Ahhhhhhhh hahahahahahahaha…..

I can’t wait to see Kassian crushing Larsens 135 pound frame in the corners next season. Holy cow those Canucks are starting to catch up to the Oilers in the “dumbest organizational decisions” category.

31. Southern Oil says:

So was Larsen on the 50 man list? Don’t know the CBA details. If so I like that this clears one contract that was not in the plans. If not, still good return for a player we weren’t going to use

32. Centre of attention says:

Brennan Klak ‏@nhlupdate 17m17 minutes ago

Full circle?

33. Truth says:

RexLibris,

That pissed me off for years…If it was okay to lose one game to Calgary it was that one. However, if the Oilers drafted Kane I’m thinking they wouldn’t have McDavid. Hopefully it all works out for the best in the end.

34. kooler says:

Centre of attention,

He’s now 185lbs.

35. Truth says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 2m2 minutes ago
    The #Oilers have acquired a 2017 conditional fifth-round draft pick from the @VanCanucks in exchange for the rights to d-man Philip Larsen.

And there’s the kicker. Conditional upon him signing prior to the 2017 draft, I would assume.

36. G Money says:

Anyone remember if Larsen is RHD or LHD? (Hopefully WG pipes up so that we can confirm it is the opposite of whatever he says)

Suspect the Larsen we see back here will be considerably better than the Larsen we saw last. That’s how development works.

But a 5th for him is just grand.

Hope we see Clendening the rest of the way, would be nice to see what he’s really got, and he’s probably comparable to Larsen in most ways.

37. Centre of attention says:

kooler,

Do you honestly put any stock into the listed weights anymore? Nobody really knows how much Byfuglien weighs for example. Lots of guys are over-reported or under-reported too.

38. kooler says:

Centre of attention,

Ok….he’s really 135.

39. wheatnoil says:

G Money:
    Anyone remember if Larsen is RHD or LHD?(Hopefully WG pipes up so that we can confirm it is the opposite of whatever he says)

Suspect the Larsen we see back here will be considerably better than the Larsen we saw last.That’s how development works.

But a 5th for him is just grand.

He’s a RHD, which is too bad. He’s like Joey Leggs but a right-shot.

I can’t imagine Chia was going to bring him back and certainly not on a one-way contract, which is likely what he wanted since he’s getting money in the KHL. Canucks will give him that.

Good deal for both sides really.

40. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Centre of attention:
    kooler,

Nuge is listed at 189 pounds……maybe with his equipment on.

41. AsiaOil says:

G Money,

Clendening is bigger and actually has a bit of an edge for an offensive guy. I also want to see him play the rest of the way. Man if you could mash Oesterle and Clendening together you’d actually have a pretty good player. Oesterle’s passing and skating were as advertised last night – but so was his size 🙁

42. DRFNsuperstar says:

Just an FYI before people suggest Jujhar has more offence than Letestu and should play 3C:

JJ 2nd year AHL (8-14-22) in 32 games (0.6875)
    Letestu 2nd year AHL (24-37-61) in 73 games (0.8356)

Klima’s_Bucket:
    The Oilers got a 5th for KHL Dman Larsen.

The return on Schultz will be better.
    That’s insane.

Caveat:

Jim Benning paid a 5th for Larsen.

Who know what a competent GM would pay.

44. stevezie says:

DRFNsuperstar,

Neither can play 3c. But since I know you mean “as a fill in until Nuge gets back”, I agree Letestu beats JJ,

Lander scored less but makes me shout less than Letestu. I wonder if it’s my xenophile bias.

45. fifthcartel says:

Woodguy,

Bob McKenzieVerified account
    ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
    Conditional aspect of 5th round pick in EDM-VAN deal is it could become 4th-round pick if Larsen hits specified production thresholds.

Conditional too!

46. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy: Caveat:

Jim Benning paid a 5th for Larsen.

Who know what a competent GM would pay.

It actually becomes a 4th if Larsen hits certain performance milestones according to Bob.

47. raventalon40 says:

I was a Larsen fan when he was here. A RHD who could also fill in as a forechecker on RW, like a destittue man’s Dustin Byfuglien. And I do remember I saw him good.

So we had a RHD option and traded it away.

I hope it was because we couldn’t sign him/

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 8m8 minutes ago

51 retweets 36 likes

49. stevezie says:

Larsen has not recently demonstrated any difficulties with the NHL game, so I wouldn’t hold my breath on this reflecting Schultz’s value.

50. Truth says:

Truth:
    Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers2m2 minutes ago

And there’s the kicker.Conditional upon him signing prior to the 2017 draft, I would assume.

Wrong. Tambellini’s roots are strong in VAN.

51. Mr DeBakey says:

raventalon40: I hope it was because we couldn’t sign him/

I suspect it has something to do with “Bigger & Heavier”

52. KSC10032 says:

DRFN beat me to it, but on the other side of the argument.

I’d like to see Khaira tried at centre, to se if he is a upgrade on Letestu/Lander as the # 4 pivot.

53. kooler says:

Who’s that Chimera guy who just scored for Washington. Isn’t he almost 36yrs old playing on the best team in the NHL. Doesn’t he almost have as many goals as Eberle?

They all come back to haunt us.

Pierre LeBrun Verified account
    ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Belief is the Oilers are willing to retain salary if it helps facilitate a Justin Schultz trade ($3.9 M cap hit).

55. OilClog says:

Larsen deal is amazing!

1sts for everyone!

56. kooler says:

Truth: Wrong.Tambellini’s roots are strong in VAN.

There is a bigger heavier guy in the KHL named Yakimov…would like to see Oil make an effort to bring him back.

57. fifthcartel says:

Dustin Nielson ‏@nielsonTSN1260 2m2 minutes ago
    According to Larsen’s agent the Oilers wanted him to come back but he wasn’t comfortable returning to the organization.

58. Halfwise says:

stevezie: I am not sure the current showcase plan is the best one If Schultz can play in the NHL in the near future it will probably be as a sheltered rover on a team that can mitigate his chaos. Maybe we should play his fifteen minutes a game and tell him not to worry about anything but scoring? At least showcase his strengths?

I was in favour of walking away from Jultz last summer, not qualifying him.

But I’ll give Chia and TMac credit for trying to unlock him. It didn’t work, but they gave it an honest shot. The fact that they did reinforces the idea that this year was not ever about the playoffs.

(I hate that this year was not about the playoffs, by the way. All the losing sure gets old.)

One problem with the patient and thoughtful approach is that there is no Turbo GM Boost knob to turn that makes every other GM suddenly want to help you speed up the recovery. The road to Playoffsburg still looks long and winding.

59. kooler says:

2013-Jul-05 Traded from Dallas Stars with round 7 pick in the 2016 draft to Edmonton Oilers for Curtis Hamilton and Shawn Horcoff

kooler:

Curtis Hamilton was reported as being involved in that deal, but was not, in fact.

61. kooler says:

Horcoff for a 5th (possibly a 4th) and a 7th?

62. stevezie says:

fifthcartel: Hmm, that’s interesting? I think this meme that Chiarelli only wants big heavy players is kind of overstated if he was willing to bring back Larsen.

Agreed, that’s a good sign of an open mind.

As far as Larsen goes, what the hell did we do to him? Didn’t bury him in the minors, gave him a shot, and in any case most of the personnel has changed anyway. Doesn’t he see our RH depth? Doesn’t he know what we just paid Schultz?

Does he Hate Hall that much? Is the core that rotten?

63. Gerta Rauss says:

I think the biggest return from the Horcoff deal was the cap space

Not that we did anything productive with it mind you, but I fully expected to take back a chunk of change in any transaction involving him

64. LadiesloveSmid says:

Letunov was traded to Arizona in the Michalek trade

65. Water Fire says:

G Money:

But a 5th for him is just grand.

Larsen is a middle hand D.

66. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Gerta Rauss,

Yup.

People now are reacting like getting rid of Horcoff for that return was terrible. I seem to recall everyone being over the moon that we could get anyone to take on a $5 million cap hit for multiple years of a player with declining production who was already well out of the top 6 on any decent team.

I mean we pissed away the cap space opportunity, but it doesn’t change the fact that trading him was a good call at the time.

67. Water Fire says:

Water Fire: Larsen is a middle hand D.

Probably because he’s a hobbit from Middle Earth

68. wheatnoil says:

fifthcartel:
    Dustin Nielson ‏@nielsonTSN12602m2 minutes ago

I’m not clear if that’s referring to this year or when he left.

69. wheatnoil says:

fifthcartel:
    Dustin Nielson ‏@nielsonTSN12602m2 minutes ago

It does make some sense that the Oilers wanted to bring him back though. If there was no interest from the Oilers, then the Canucks could have offered Larsen a $1M x 1-way contract on July 1st and would not have had to give up any compensation.

70. Romulus Apotheosis says:

There were two great mysteries about Larsen that year…

1. that stretch where he was getting crazy minutes (over 25 at times)

71. Mr DeBakey says:

Ca$h-McMoney!: I seem to recall everyone being over the moon that we could get anyone to take on a $5 million cap hit for multiple years of a player with declining production who was already well out of the top 6 on any decent team.

Not on this site
    Or, at least, not that I recall

Edit:

72. Магия 10 says:

kooler:
    Horcoff for a 5th (possibly a 4th) and a 7th?

In light of Rex’s post:

Horcoff for a 5th (possibly a 4th) and Svoboda (picked with swapped 7th)

73. wheatnoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis: 2. that stretch where he had a prolonged mystery illness (not injury) that the team never clarified. I always assumed gout.

G Money,

But you made me a spreadsheet and everything!!

Oilers Nerd Alert ‏@OilersNerdAlert 22h22 hours ago
    @Woodguy55 I built you a handedness and demographics database (CSV). You’re welcome! https://app.box.com/s/o01sr2ssdvmb5qmbgremcs6i559c7hud

*checks spreadsheet*

Larsen isn’t on there.

Bastard!!!

Also,

Here’s the full link to G”s handedness spreadsheet: https://app.box.com/s/o01sr2ssdvmb5qmbgremcs6i559c7hud

Such a nice boy helping out those who are just not that capable……

75. Магия 10 says:

Ca$h-McMoney!: People now are reacting like getting rid of Horcoff for that return was terrible

Tracking, not complaining I would have mentioned the cap space but was tracking what’s left and did not know which ufa to list.

Larsen is RH.

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    Gerta Rauss,

Yup.

People now are reacting like getting rid of Horcoff for that return was terrible.I seem to recall everyone being over the moon that we could get anyone to take on a $5 million cap hit for multiple years of a player with declining production who was already well out of the top 6 on any decent team.

Nope.

The Oilers needed him to hold Yak’s hand for another season and teach him how to play like a NHLer.

Here’s LT’s Sail on Trail Smoke Eater thread, see for yourself:

This post from the Horcoff thread hits home:

“STEVE SMITH” says:
    July 4, 2013 at 7:09 pm
    Larsen: bottom pairing/pressbox minutes. Second worst Corsi on the team, facing second easiest competition (by both standard and Corsi QualComp). Despite having a 46.6% zonestart, he actually managed a slightly negative zoneshift, which is a hell of a feat.

He’s 23 years old, so there’s lots of room to grow, but if he’s playing a regular shift in the Oilers’ top six next year, it’s going to have been a disappointing off-season.

Dissapointing off season, followed by disappointing off-season followed by disappointing of-fseason…….Chia better change that this year

Larsen is RH.

So you’d pair him with Fayne then.

80. Магия 10 says:

Woodguy: Here’s LT’s Sail on Trail Smoke Eater thread, see for yourself

Steve Smith (if that’s his real name) owning DeeEssEff’s soul in that thread is pretty good.

Магия 10: Highlight of that thread? The report that Oil meet with Clarkson and the fear they’d throw the bank at him.

Thank Christ he took less to go to TOR.

Man.

83. RedArmy says:

Would you trade Pouliot for Hartnell? Would Columbus?

Woodguy: So you’d pair him with Fayne then.

Of course! Anything to keep Nurse-Davidson intact.

85. Магия 10 says:

Woodguy: Thank Christ he took less to go to TOR.

Man.

Quite the bender they tried to go on with Comrade Horcov’s cap hit

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 5h5 hours ago
    Long way in one season for EDM’s Ziyat Paigin. Last season he was barely a KHL regular, yesterday he leads his team in TOI in a playoff game

RedArmy:
    Would you trade Pouliot for Hartnell? Would Columbus?

1) No.

2) In about 3 seconds

I like Hartnell too, but nope.

88. PhrankLee says:

I love that the words “get heavier across the board” and “maybe we should get rid of some players” were used.

“Heavy” teams have the heaviness spread out through the line up. Same with skill. It needs to be spread throughout the line up.

Chia did not say he was going to dump RNH for Matt Martin.

And the half assed effort that infects the team was front and center, finally.

I would like to avoid Ho Sang but if Sorokin was thrown in to Hamonic Eberle trade I would be satisfied. I think we are giving up way too much offense with Eberle for Hamonic straight up.

89. rickithebear says:

Benning goes out and gets the center who posted the best PvP numbers in calgary last 2 years.
    Granlund w/ Bouma & jones 2.34EVP/60

Then he trades for
    P. Larsen who played in
    Dal 11-12 12-13
    and
    EDM 13-14

were the top 4 Dal HSCA/60 seasons from 11-12 to 15-16 are:
    Fistric 11-12 8.07
    Demers 14-15 8.90
    Goligoski 11-12 8.90
    P. Larsen 11-12 10.05 680/853 min with Goligoski, Fistric.
    goligoski being 11.70 without Larsen

Were the top 4 EDM HSCA/60 seasons from 11-12 to 15-16 are
    Davidson 15-16 9.27
    N. schultz 11-12 9.57
    klefbom 15-16 10.12
    P. Larsen 13-14 10.15 playing 316/408min with Belov, Ference. Fraser, J. Schultz
    Seriously F………………

Benning is an idiot…….. is Bull Shit!

90. Romulus Apotheosis says:

wheatnoil: Pure speculation and based on no hard evidence: Whatever that mysterious ailment was, if it was poorly managed by the organization or if I didn’t get the support I felt was warranted, I probably wouldn’t want to return back to the organization either.

That’s possible.

He probably just felt burned by not being brought back.

For myself, I distinctly remember several weeks of being really confused. All the updates were: he’s got really low energy, can’t explain it, etc. like mono or lime disease or something. Anyway, it was a curio in another lost year.

———-
    I’ll say this for larsen… he was fast, had some offensive talent and was cheap. that last one always helps.

91. Derp says:

I was at the Hitman-Portland game last night. Portland got blown out, but Jones probably played the best on the team. Decent enough skater, jumped up into the play a lot, and seemed to be able to make a good pass. Also had a couple bonehead plays that reminded me of Jultz, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

92. rickithebear says:

Woodguy:
    This post from the Horcoff thread hits home:

“STEVE SMITH” says:
    July 4, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Thank heavens for yhte guy who pointed out shot by distance and keep to the perimeter.
    you know that whole High , med, low shots.

93. LostBoy says:

Larsen wasn’t exactly in a position to succeed in Edmonton and had plenty of chaos and who knows what level a more mature and developed player will get to, maybe nowhere.

But there were nights, not many, when there were serious hints of a substantial puck moving offensive D. Phil Larsen on his best nights looked a hell of a lot better than Justin Schultz on most nights. Admittedly, there weren’t many best nights in his brief time.

Wouldn’t have complained to have had him back in the organization for another go-round.

Chiarelli has time for a Torey Krug. We need a RH Krug in the worst possible way. I just marvel at this notion that Hamonic and Demers would be enough. We have league bottom offense from D. A points producer of some kind, a 40+ guy, just has to be found. I’ll take the Oilers interest in bringing back Larsen as a hopeful sign that they’re looking under every rock for a solution. Yes, Hamonic would be great. But there just has to be an offensive horse on D, even a Yandle-like 3rd pairing/PP specialist. You just can’t run the forward makeup of the Oilers without one. It’s insanity.

94. JDï™ says:

“We got seven left-hand D. I love (to have a righty), but how do you get it?” Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said over the weekend at the NHL entry draft in Philadelphia. “It’s great to have this fantasy; like (general manager) Kenny Holland would tell you, there’s no tree. I’ve been all over him, but there’s no tree to grab them off of, so we’ll get what we get.”

“I just think it’s so much easier when you have a right and lefty on every pair. All you got to do is look at L.A. (Stanley Cup champion Kings), a right and lefty on every pair. Makes it easier to get through the neutral zone, easier off D-zone faceoffs to execute. You have the puck more. You can get it off the wall and shoot it in the offensive zone. To me it just makes sense.” – from summer, 2014.

Schultz to Toronto is still the best fit. He can help with the tank, they have the cap room, and Babcock can have the final games to see if he’s worthy of a contract offer this summer. Or a PTO, if it comes to that.

95. Gret99zky says:

Shawn Horcoff has been in the news lately.

96. wheatnoil says:

Anaheim’s D-Pairs a little tough to parse because they run mostly Lefty-Righty pairs and usually avoid running same-handed pairs. The numbers get too small for comparison, so I combined both Left and both Right pairs.

Lefty-Righty (2363 minutes)
    53% Corsi
    53.2% DFF

Lefty-Lefty (170 min) OR Righty-Righty (317 min) [Total = 487 min]
    50.5% Corsi
    53.8% DFF

Interesting that gap closes off completely with DFF. We saw that with the Oilers numbers too (though the opposite handed pairs still did better) but not the NYI numbers.

Also, for full disclosure, the Lefty-Lefty corsi was equal to the Lefty-Right, it was Rightys that brought it down. Still, with only 170 minutes, I felt like I had to combine them for any real comparison.

Take home: Anaheim also does better when they stick to their Lefty-Righty pairings.

rickithebear:
    Granlund w/ Bouma & jones 2.34EVP/60

Then hetrades for
    P. Larsen who played in
    Dal 11-12 12-13
    and
    EDM 13-14

were the top 4 Dal HSCA/60 seasonsfrom 11-12 to 15-16 are:
    Fistric 11-12 8.07
    Demers 14-15 8.90
    Goligoski 11-12 8.90
    P. Larsen 11-12 10.05 680/853 min with Goligoski, Fistric.
    goligoski being 11.70 without Larsen

Were the top 4 EDM HSCA/60 seasons from 11-12 to 15-16 are
    Davidson 15-16 9.27
    N. schultz 11-12 9.57
    klefbom 15-16 10.12
    Seriously F………………

Benning is an idiot…….. is Bull Shit!

Haha!

LIsting FIstric as DAL’s best Dman (like you always do) betrays you.

rickithebear: Remember the days when we used to judge D play by the Pocession coming back the other way from Blocks, Missed shots and Forward turnovers.

you know that whole High , med, low shots.

Yeah, waronice opened up a bunch of info we didn’t have before.

99. stevezie says:

wheatnoil,

It’s a shame there’s no way to control for players like Phaneuf who prefer to play their off-hand. Now, some have suggested Phaneuf is wrong and he is better on the traditional side, but that’s just one example. Oesterle being another a little closer to home.

Even Sekera says that while he is better playing his strong side, he feels pretty comfortable switching. Some players seem devastated by it.

Still, large numbers give us a good general idea to work off of, and you’re doing great work. The DFF numbers are surprising, but I don’t know enough about that stat to try and explain it.

rickithebear,

Granlund w/ Bouma & jones 2.34EVP/60

Granlund played Power v Power?

Really Gracie?

He got Grandlund, not Backlund, who has been CAL’s best PvP C.

Also, last year Granlund played 70 minutes with Jones and 10 minutes with Bouma

Christ, Bouma played all of 200 5v5 minutes last year.

stevezie:
    wheatnoil,

OTT is playing Phaneuf on his left with Ceci and a bit on his left with Karlsson.

Wonder if it will help?

I bet it will.

102. stevezie says:

LostBoy,

I think you are bang on about one of of the two defenceman we need to be able to score. Obviously Trouba and Hamonic would be a Gordsend that would instantly and dramatically transform this team, but as soon as we got them we would immediately begin trying to move someone to make room for a guy with offence.

Since the lockout, no team* has won the cup without at least one .5 ppg defenceman, although I will grant the Devils came incredibly close (They had no D scoring. None.)

We could make the playoffs with sekera/hamonic, kelf/trouba, nurse/davidson, but we aren’t like to ever win a cup.

Now I will grant that the fixed defence will probably boost the offence in general and maybe Klef or Trouba could have a career year and score in the 40s, but maybe not and it’s not a safe bet. One of the two guys coming in should ideally be able to score. But beggars can’t be choosers.

*Doughty is a weird player. I don’t know what LA does with themselves during the regular season, and I don’t want to know. But he scores plenty in the playoffs so I’m counting it.

103. Centre of attention says:

So this happened.

LOL Childhood Philly fan gets paid to whine on the internet. What a time to be alive.

104. stevezie says:

Woodguy,

I bet so too. He wouldn’t be the first player (or human) to misunderstand how to bring out his or her own greatness.

Of course, his situation in Ottawa is better in so many ways it will be difficult to isolate any one factor as the reason for his almost inevitable improvement.

I hope he stops trying to be “the rock out there” and goes back to making highlight reels. I don’t think he’s a great defenceman, but he can be a fun one.

105. stevezie says:

Centre of attention,

He’s a clown, but it’s tough to argue. This has been embarrassing for everyone.

Think he’s mad now, wait until we win some cups.

106. JDï™ says:

Centre of attention,

Yes, I said it. “You can’t suck for that long because it’s not fair to everyone else.”

This is one of those times where keeping my inside voice inside, is a good thing.

107. wheatnoil says:

stevezie:
    wheatnoil,

It’s a good point and I fully expect to see exceptions. It would be interesting to point out exceptions and see if (over the last number of years) they actually do play better on one side versus another. For example, does Sekera (over the last number of years and over his different teams) play better on L – R pairings or L – L pairings. Same with Phaneuf.

108. Centre of attention says:

stevezie,

Its a female writer, actually. And she misquoted stats in her own article. She posted a graphic showing last year that the Oilers won with a 14.5% chance.

Just a couple lines below she says this while explaining her stance “The Oilers, with an 11.5 per cent chance, scored the first overall selection and generational talent Connor McDavid.”

Just kind of funny that she quickly whipped this one up for clicks, hardly even proof read it and eastern media are eating up the idea that there should be a cap on the amount of lotteries you can win.

I understand the Oilers are bad, but constantly tweaking the draft to make it harder for bottom teams to win the lottery is not good for the Columbus’s and the Hurricanes and the Toronto’s of the world either.

Maybe give Taylor Hall a call once in awhile when he is tripped/hooked. He has never been fined for embellishment, so why is he not getting any calls? maybe the Oilers might start getting more points if the Refs were fair lol. At least stop completely shafting them. Your only helping the tank.

109. stevezie says:

Centre of attention,

Ha, I clicked on the link and saw Doug Maclean’s face and closed it. I assumed you were referring to one of the talking heads.

Didn’t even notice the article. I guess now I’m the racist. The more you know.

110. wheatnoil says:

Carolina D-Pairs

Carolina is interesting because they actually play a fair number of Lefty-Lefty minutes. Hanifin and Slavin in particular play a large number of minutes in same handed pairings. They only played 36 minutes with Righty-Righty pairings, so I just combined it into the Lefty-Lefty.

Corsi:
    Lefty – Righty: 52.9% (1995 min)
    Same Handed: 52% (1042 min)

DFF:
    Lefty – Righty: 50.9%
    Same Handed: 50.2%

So this is much closer than the other teams I’ve compared. Still opposite handed pairings pull out ahead, but not by much. Like I said, this team does have a lot of Left – Left minutes.

111. Professor Q says:

Centre of attention:
    So this happened.

“I can’t believe we picked van Riemsdyk!”

112. Centre of attention says:

Professor Q: “I can’t believe we picked van Riemsdyk!”

Voraceks contract is top-notch, too.

113. rickithebear says:

Woodguy: Haha!

LIsting FIstric as DAL’s best Dman (like you always do) betrays you.

You know I value comp, paired with HSPA as a measure.
    It was years of fight with you.

Even strong logic ind can be affected by youthful stubbornness

That is why I consider 1st comp, top hsca60, and top 30 EVP production the best indicator of elite even d.

Larsen was 3rd comp.
    I just want top 60 slot/ box protect in my 3rd comp d rather than the bottom 15 from schultz

rickithebear: Glad you recognize that whole box/ slot perimeter thing is the measure of defensive d affect.

You know I value comp, paired with HSPA as a measure.
    It was years of fight with you.

Even strong logic ind can be affected by youthful stubbornness

Larsen was 3rd comp.

Mr. The Bear,

For the record you were ahead of your time in “box protection” and you deserve full marks.

Many of us were intrigued, but you never shared the data when we asked so we couldn’t see for ourselves.

You also still insist on attributing ONSV% to Dmen, when there is so much noise in that stat there is no way you could tease out Dman effect.

You also tend to lump players who obviously play 3rds into 1sts which is another source of conflict.

One day we’ll agree on these things and we’ll drink.

wheatnoil:
    Carolina D-Pairs

Corsi:
    Lefty – Righty: 52.9% (1995 min)
    Same Handed: 52% (1042 min)

DFF:
    Lefty – Righty: 50.9%
    Same Handed: 50.2%

Gio-Brodie will send Lefty-Lefty off the charts and Bruce and LT will start getting ol’ timey on me again.

116. G Money says:

rickithebear,

Ah, Ricki, things are getting a bit revisionist there, my ursine friend.

Remember the good old days when you used EVGA as your defensive measure?

We can argue about the flaws and strengths of CF%, CF%Rel, CA, DFF%, DFA60, HDSCA … but the one thing we should all be able to agree on is that EVGA is pretty close to the least relevant measure possible of a defenseman.

HDSCA is certainly an improvement, though your conclusions are far too strong for the nature of the data.

But I do hope that someday we’ll applaud your greatness when you figure out how to track both shot vector and goalie location and orientation in order to truly crack the shot quality puzzle and create the ultimate ‘open hole shot’ database.

Hey Ricki, you’re so fine, you’re so fine, you blow my mind, hey Ricki! Hey Ricki!

117. G Money says:

Woodguy,

I too am very interested to see it. It would also be even more interesting (perhaps definitive) if it turned out that those guys ALSO play better in L-R configurations.

I guess I better build a Hawks and *spits* Flames WOWY file for Wheat.

118. Professor Q says:

On an unrelated note, how could Hockey Canada develop a NTDP akin to the U.S.? It seems like it could be a good investment to help give extra centralised training for Canadian players not only in the CHL, but also in or going to U.S. Universities and other leagues as well.

119. wheatnoil says:

St. Louis D-Pairs

Corsi:
    Lefty – Righty: 50.0% (2523 min)
    Same Handed: 53.2% (505 min)

DFF:
    Lefty – Righty: 49%
    Same Handed: 52.2%

Aha! The first example where the Woodguy Rule does not apply.

St. Louis does noticeably better (in fairly limited minutes mind you) with same handed pairs. On closer inspection, it’s built heavily on their right side. Pietrangelo – Shattenkirk, Shattenkirk – Parayko, Pietrangelo – Parayko have logged some reasonable minutes together and done quite well. Meanwhile, St. Louis’ left side is clearly and notably weaker.

Makes you think that maybe Hitch should be putting his Righties together a little more… but the problem is the Lefties together have been an utter disaster (36.2% corsi in 97 minutes).

120. wheatnoil says:

Well that comprises all the databases that G Money has put out so far.

4 of the 5 teams did better in their Lefty – Righty pairs than their same-handed pairs (3 of them by a very clear margin). St. Louis was the exception built heavily on the work of Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk.

I think Calgary and the Hawks, like G Money and Woodguy mention, are going to be exceptions too.

Once G Money gets all the team’s databases (maybe in the summer so there’s a whole season’s worth of data?), it’ll actually be fairly easy to do a league-wide view of it. Compare all Left-Right pairings league-wide with Same-Handed line combos.

121. kinger_OIL says:

G Money,

– Wow, some of the comments from a few, which I read as passive-agressive, back-handed ripostes are playground stuff when retorting Ricki.

– He’s in good faith applied a number of filters and parameter to try and examine and advance his understanding of how to evaluate D’s

– Just becasue his syntax and approach differs from some, how does mocking add to the discussion?

122. stevezie says:

wheatnoil,

Question to the group, really:

It seems clear so far that the prevailing wisdom, “all things being equal it’s good to have lefty-righty pairs is going to be true” (St Louis seems to defy based on the high quality of their defenders more than anything else), but what kind of numbers would constitute a “big deal”?

What I mean is, let’s take it as a given that the data is going to show it’s ideal to have balance, but as Babcock says, life is only what it is. Where’s the line between “Edmonton would do well to gradually work to balance the hands of their defenders, at their convenience” and “holy shit this is priority number one!”?

Should Chia even consider left-handed UFA D at this point?

123. El Duderino says:

kinger_OIL:
    G Money,

Well said.

124. Professor Q says:

Holy heck.

Copper & Blue want to trade Hall for Hamonic. Just saw yesterday’s post.

All reason goes out the window in such dire times as ours.

stevezie:
    wheatnoil,

Question to the group, really:

Should Chia even consider left-handed UFA D at this point?

I think the ideal is to have lefty-righty, but if you acquire OEL there’s probably room. 🙂

126. wheatnoil says:

stevezie,

My guess is that if you’ve got a strong enough D-core, handedness won’t matter. If Chia’s getting a top pairing defender at a reasonable price, I probably don’t turn it down based on handedness. However, if two players are somewhat close, handedness may make a significant difference.

Also, like you mentioned, I’m sure there are exceptions. With G Money’s WOWY charts, we can actually test theories like: “This Dman is left-handed but does better on the right”. Nikitin, for instance, came with that rep. You mentioned Phaneuf. Probably others. We should be able to identify who actually has a history of success on the off side and take that into consideration to see if they’re a good fit.

Edit: LT said it better!

127. Zed says:

AsiaOil:

#FreeYak

128. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: if you acquire OEL

My Lawn, please get off !! LOL.

129. Caramel Batman says:

I liked Larsen at the time. I bet he does well.

My prediction is Schultz doesn’t get traded at all. I mean who the hell would want him. The Oilers then send him to the minors.

130. AsiaOil says:

I think Shultz is not even offered one way money next year and heads to Germany to play in total obscurity while making a few Euro to add to the stack he stole from the Oilers. Bonus for him – he will not even chip a finger nail over there. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a pro player so completely “not into” his profession and fail to put in any work on the most obvious weaknesses (like his shot). As soon as it gets the slightest bit tough he just folds like newspaper in a downpour. “Challenging” this type of individual is pointless. Goodbye and good riddance – I doubt he returns from California – if he’s not traded they will just leave him in Bakersfield.

131. jp says:

Woodguy:
    Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman5h5 hours ago

Remarkable season for the kid. Crazy arrows, all in good directions.

The one quibble (aside from lack of scoring history) I could find with his early season performance was that he wasn’t playing a lot, despite putting up points. Well he’s kept on scoring and appears to have become a key cog in his teams success. Great to see, and it’ll be very interesting to see him once he comes to NA.

132. G Money says:

kinger_OIL,

You think my comment was mocking Ricki?

133. Zelepukin says:

AsiaOil:

This is it. His game is perfectly suited to Europe, that is if he still enjoys playing hockey. It’s hard to tell at this point. In a way he is very much the second coming of Robbie Schremp. Only likes certain aspects for the game, unable to adjust or develop the full skill set needed at the NHL level.

134. stevezie says:

Zelepukin: I also don’t believe there to be any takers at this point. If there were, Chia would have dealt him.

But if he didn’t get traded after TMac’s rant the other day I’m no longer willing to bet much. Good mercy.

And of course we’re willing to eat salary. I’m sure we’d eat half. It makes no difference at this point.

135. Professor Q says:

stevezie: Lots of teams have Schultz’s- a guy that does the, no good. It makes sense to swap them because sometimes the cliched “change of scenery” really does do the trick. I’m willing to bet that we’ve got a couple offers for someone else’s Schultz already on the table, but Chia is waiting for a pick.

Yak and/or Schultz for Drouin? :p

136. GCW_69 says:

Professor Q:
    Holy heck.

Copper & Blue want to trade Hall for Hamonic. Just saw yesterday’s post.

All reason goes out the window in such dire times as ours.

No they don’t. They just want the Oilers to be open to any and all trades that make the team better. If that trade includes Hall, so be it.

137. Centre of attention says:

Chris Nichols
    ‏@NicholsOnHockey
    Dreger: “I don’t foresee anything involving Taylor Hall, be it between now and Monday, or in the off-season.” Pretty important cog. #Oilers

Well this is encouraging. Dreger was on Leafs lunch too and pretty much repeated the same thing. I think the whole time its been one of either RNH or Eberle on the block.

138. stevezie says:

Professor Q,

Drouin’s got a few years left on his deal, but if they threw in a kicker and ate some salary I’d consider letting them have Schultz.

I think Yak for Drouin makes some sense, nut I have no idea how to gauge Drouin’s trade value. I don’t think hi agent did him any favours telling him to sit out. He has no pro track record of success. Had he been lighting up the A? Or even developing? I don’t get their angle.

139. Henry says:

Centre of attention:
    Chris Nichols
    ‏@NicholsOnHockey

I think management got a good extended look at what the Oilers look like without the Nuge.

140. Jaxon says:

Grab Brad Malone from CAR off waivers. Perfect cheap 4th liner who hits and shoots and is decent on the dot. That will allow the Oilers to dump expensive 4th liners like Letestu, Korpikoski and even Hendricks although that one will make me sad. Hendricks might garner a good return as a role player on a contender.

141. ashley says:

Woodguy: Yeah, waronice opened up a bunch of info we didn’t have before.

You, sir, are a dick. 🙂

142. highgloveside says:

Dennis Yan from Tampa…..wonder if he knows Yan Denis??