SAIL ON WISCONSIN BADGER, SAIL ON NOTRE DAME HOUND

He arrived with so much promise, a free agent who wanted to play in copper and blue. He leaves today at his hockey crossroads, 25 and under enormous pressure to perform in his new city. I wish all the best for Justin Schultz, and hope he finds a home in Pittsburgh with the Penguins.

No word on who the Oilers might call up, they currently have Andrej Sekera, Mark Fayne, Brandon Davidson, Darnell Nurse, Adam Clendening and Jordan Oesterle on the active roster—and could activate Oscar Klefbom from IR before tomorrow’s game.

Teddy Purcell played 143 games as an Edmonton Oiler, and I grew to appreciate his skills. He is a cerebral player, subtle if that is possible in hockey. I would be happy to see him return next season, and hope he enjoys a productive chapter of his career with the Florida Panthers.

No idea about who the Oilers will call up, there are plenty of candidates. As for who gets the cherry minutes, Zack Kassian would appear to be the obvious choice. Complete breakdown of the trades in tomorrow’s GDT, but for now here is a look at the current situation at the deadline:

1. R Teddy Purcell—Traded for a third-round selection (I estimated a second).
  2. D Justin Schultz—Traded for a third round pick (I estimated a third).
  3. G Anders Nilsson—Traded for a low goalie prospect and a fifth-round selection in 2016.
  4. D Phil Larsen—Traded  for a fifth-round pick in 2017.
  5. R Nail Yakupov—New to the list, Habs are following the Oilers closely and it feels like something could happen (now or at the draft). Lars Eller has been mentioned as a possible return, that would allow Edmonton to enter next season with an experienced (if pricey) 3C.
  6. F Matt Hendricks—Todd McLellan played him a lot last night, showcase? I will say a second-round pick, could be high.
  7. D Mark Fayne—No one is mentioning his name, suggesting to me that either the Oilers have no interest in dealing him, or the term is too dear for contending teams. Either way, he is the best defensemen the Oilers have who is potentially available, and I will guess second-round pick.
  8. D Eric Gryba—If they trade him, he should fetch a fourth-round selection, about what he cost the Oilers.
  9. L Lauri Korpikoski—There seems to be some rumbling about Korpikoski, showing that NHL GMs don’t really pay close attention to performance and famous names rule the day. Fifth-round pick.
  10. C Anton Lander—He played a lot again last night, after not playing much at all for a long time. Has to be a showcase. Sixth-round pick.

The current (estimated) Oilers picks for 2016:

1. No. 1 overall
  2. No. 31 overall
  3. No. 61 overall
  4. No. 76 overall (Pittsburgh pick)
  5. No. 86 overall (Florida pick)
  6. No. 91 overall
  7. No. 121 overall
  8. No. 147 overall (St. Louis pick)
  9. No. 151 overall
  10. No. 181 overall

151 Responses to "SAIL ON WISCONSIN BADGER, SAIL ON NOTRE DAME HOUND"

Our long national nightmare is over.

Woodguy:
    Our long national nightmare is over.

Wait a minute…….check that……MacT still works in Hockey Ops.

Well, baby steps I guess.

3. jonrmcleod says:

I think you might have missed 1 draft pick. I think the Oilers have 10 this year.

jonrmcleod:

Yes, added in the St. Louis pick.

R Teddy Purcell—Traded for a third-round selection (I estimated a second).

I would think that not retaining salary bumped it down to a 3rd from a 2nd.

That does leave the Oilers open for one more salary retention deal.

“Laurie Korpikoski! Come on down!!”

Buyout cap hit on Korpse is $500K next year and $1.0MM in 17/18, so you probably go up to 50% to lose the 2nd year of the buyout.

6. fifthcartel says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 19m19 minutes ago
    Don’t forget. Oilers still owe 2nd round compensation to Boston for Chiarelli signing in either ’16 or ’17. What’s a 3rd and 5th worth?

Does Bob mean they’ll trade up for a 2nd and try and give them that pick?

7. fuzzy muppet says:

Would Dallas be interested in a Nickushkin for Yakupov swap with some sweeteners? Asking for a friend

8. Centre of attention says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 1m1 minute ago
    #Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli will address the media at 6:30pm MT.

9. spoiler says:

Does the compensatory pick have to be your own pick?

10. oilfan9911 says:

spoiler:
    Does the compensatory pick have to be your own pick?

11. sliderule says:

fifthcartel,

That is good point.

Does the pick have to be their own?

12. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

I see McCarron is playing tonight for Montreal. Showcase?

13. Little Poteet says:

How the Pens are spinning the Shultz aquisition is sad almost. “A former NHL all-rookie selection!”
    Gotta love when you are tagged as a powerplay specialist and you have 45 powerplay points in almost 4 years

14. Norman Greenbaum says:

I wonder which NHL player is getting paid in the most convoluted way, as in how many times traded with salary retained? There’s got to be a journeyman or two getting paid from four teams ago.

15. Halfwise says:

oilfan9911: No. That can be negotiated between the teams. If the Oilers acquire another second round pick this year, they can offer it to Boston.

NHL should cancel the obligation as a form of apology for the crap refereeing the Oilers have had to put up with.

16. Norman Greenbaum says:

fifthcartel:
    Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer19m19 minutes ago

Does Bob mean they’ll trade up for a 2nd and try and give them that pick?

Well, if the plan is to win lord Stanley in the new stadium, give them next years.

17. frjohnk says:

Woodguy:
    R Teddy Purcell—Traded for a third-round selection (I estimated a second).

I would think that not retaining salary bumped it down to a 3rd from a 2nd.

That does leave the Oilers open for one more salary retention deal.

“Laurie Korpikoski! Come on down!!”

Fayne is another guy who could be traded with salary retained.

He costs too much as a 3 rd pairing d man

And I think the oilers would rather see an upgrade than him in the top 4.

18. Магия 10 says:

Woodguy:
    Our long national nightmare is over.

Just in time for the next one. Yakupov getting top 6 time in a different city. Even at this date an unforced error.

19. spoiler says:

So Boston can insist on the better pick, ours?

20. JJ says:

Schultz may be gone, but he was handled curiously. Most people are happy.

He played too many minutes per game, played against competition he wasn’t ready for, and played without a steady veteran partner. When he stumbled, he was not sent to the press box to observe the game from a different standpoint – not to punish,but to teach.

Is this on him or is this on the organization? If it is on the organization, then that has not changed.

Maybe that’s why I feel a little sad that Justin, our free agent defensemen (Thanks Ralph) is gone but our development process is still broken.

More players on the Brandon Davidson development track needed, please. Can’t rush to greatness.

21. sliderule says:

Habs first and Eller for Yak?

22. Cahoon says:

spoiler,

As far as I know they can insist on our pick, but then we can tell them that they wont get it til next year, which might make them more inclined to take the sooner pick.

23. Cahoon says:

JJ,

I definitely agree, even when it seemed evident that Jultz was playing too high in the lineup, he never really got sheltered minutes, ever. If we didn’t totally destroy his confidence I could see him succeeding as a 3rd pairing guy with the Pens.

24. oilfan9911 says:

spoiler: So Boston can insist on the better pick, ours?

They could ask for it but Chiarelli will tell them to pound sand. Boston’s choice, again assuming the Oilers acquire another second, would be between the later second round pick this year or the Oilers second round pick in 2017.

25. HugThePost says:

it seemed like the more 19 screwed up, the more they played him. Truly bizarre deployment.

I’d like the oilers to take a more cerebral approach to player development instead of the ‘hey look at what our shiny new toy can do!’ approach.

Getting rid of Shultz is a loud comment on MacT’s reign and I think a bit of a tell as far as Chia’s true influence at Kingsway. If Yak is shipped out, then we’ll know Chia is really in charge and making the decisions on his own. I don’t want to see Yak go though.

26. blainer says:

Thank Gord Shultz is gone. FINALLY !!

Doubt very much they are trading YAK before the draft. Next to CMD I think he is Katz’s favorite player.

While I would be over the moon if they traded Yak I expect they will play him with CMD and move Ebs up with Drai and Hall until Nuge returns.

Expect Chia to say he is done at the news conference.

27. blainer says:

sliderule:
    Habs first and Eller for Yak?

I’d be happy with the first.

28. OF17 says:

It would be a little crazy to send the 2016 2nd to Boston. At this point, 2nd round picks literally can’t get any higher than that.

Still insane that the Oilers have to pay that compensation. The loophole was so asinine even the NHL moved quickly to close it, and yet still, the Oilers are catching the butt end of it.

29. Gerta Rauss says:

spoiler,

We hashed this out a few weeks ago and didn’t really come to any consensus…just best guesses

General Fanager has a notation on the pick stating “the OIlers 2nd round pick in 2016 or 2017, at the Oilers choosing”

That being said, the OIlers DID negotiate the McLellan compensation at last year’s draft (86OV)…so there appears to be a little wiggle room for some kind of negotiation

Giving BOS the pick this year seems a little rich given where it currently sits, so the default is the pick in 2017

I wonder though if BOS would rather have the pick this year-ANY pick- as opposed to waiting another year. I wonder if the OIlers 3rd this year(currently 61) would be enticing enough.

Of course, if the OIlers do pick up another 2nd rounder this year that may be enough for BOS to accept it, rather than waiting another year

30. Магия 10 says:

blainer: While I would be over the moon

…and straight into the Sun with Tonya Harding and all.

Suspect TMac and Chia like their current mid-range projection for Yak.

31. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Seeing multiple reports of several Montreal scouts at Oiler games lately leads me to believe there’s still a deal there to be done. The scouts weren’t there to scout Purcell or Schultz. It’s no secret Montreal’s reported interest in Yak and with McCarron being called up and playing tonight there might be something brewing.

32. spoiler says:

Gerta Rauss:
    spoiler,

That being said, the OIlers DID negotiate the McLellan compensation at last year’s draft (86OV)…so there appears to be little wiggle room for some kind of negotiation

Thank you, sir.

33. blainer says:

Магия 10: …and straight into the Sun with Tonya Harding and all.

Suspect TMac and Chia like their current mid-range projection for Yak.

LOL.. Tonya Harding.. haven’t heard that name in forever.. She was cute though.

34. Jordan says:

So, Calgary trades Hudler for a 2nd and a 4th.

Edmonton trades Purcell for a 3rd

Is this all about player reputation, or organizational reputation or something? Because from where I’m sitting, they look like effectively the same player, and the Oilers didn’t get near the same value.

Jordan:
    So, Calgary trades Hudler for a 2nd and a 4th.

Edmonton trades Purcell for a 3rd

Is this all about player reputation, or organizational reputation or something?Because from where I’m sitting, they look like effectively the same player, and the Oilers didn’t get near the same value.

36. Gerta Rauss says:

Jordan,

JP posted this in the last thread.

Similar numbers this year (with an edge to Hudler), but last year:
    Purcell 82-12-22-34 -33
    Hudler 78-31-45-76 +17
    I’d pay more for Hudler if I were a buyer.

37. wheatnoil says:

Jordan:
    So, Calgary trades Hudler for a 2nd and a 4th.

Edmonton trades Purcell for a 3rd

Well Purcell was going to be bought out 2 yrs ago before being traded to Edmonton (solely because Gagner was a cheaper buy-out candidate) and was a potential buy-out candidate last year. So, really, he gained impressive value this year.

38. Магия 10 says:

blainer: LOL.. Tonya Harding.. haven’t heard that name in forever.. She was cute though.

If you see a bunch of B list celebs in the boarding lounge, bail:

39. Ray says:

Maybe a bigger trade coming.

Yak and Fayne to the Habs for Eller, and something else kinda good.

Maybe Bergevin isn’t ready to pack in the season and can spin this type of trade as buying for now and next year

40. Genjutsu says:

I wonder if Yak does get traded. If he was the owners personal choice he might well be protected.

Certainly any GM would have to at least run any trade by the owner involving a former first overall pick.

It doesn’t matter if the coach and GM don’t like him if the boss says to make it work, then they’ll have to try and make it work.

41. Spydyr says:

blainer:

Thank Gord Shultz is gone. FINALLY !!

Expect Chia to say he is done at the news conference.

42. blainer says:

Spydyr: First off why would he show his hand saying he is done. Secondly the team has far to many shortcomings to give up two days before the deadline.

I can’t see any other reason if he is not done to have a news conference now. If he wasn’t done I would think he would wait til monday to speak.. Me.. I would love to see some more moves.. Suspect he will say something like .. we don’t see anything else happening at this time but it can change..

43. Магия 10 says:

Chia and TMac like players that project for skill that survives playoff hockey. If they see a high chance of that emerging it’s all gravy that Katz likes Yak or fans do or don’t.

44. Centre of attention says:

“Based on where we are, we will most likely push it to next year” Peter on whether or not he will pay Boston this off season or next

45. Zelepukin says:

Well, magically it finally happened. The end of the Jultz era. Hopefully this is the TSN turning point where we no longer need to use a defense meme to describe our goals against.

Luckily we stil have Korpse, so I can now put more attention to using, ‘well he really Korpse’d that play.’

46. Centre of attention says:

“I would like to see the 3 centers. I want to see them all together. With the D, I would like to see Klef in there too. He will be back around the same time as nuge”

Good press conference.

47. Norman Greenbaum says:

First off, the Oilers aren’t making the playoffs, so picks and prospects are the currency.

Secondly, the Oilers aren’t making the playoffs, so you don’t stock up to make a cup run a la Chicago at the February trade deadline.

Many of the players we’d consider trading for are high end defensemen playing for playoff teams. They’d kind off like to keep them for the playoffs.

48. Centre of attention says:

Peter seems really upset he hasn’t seen “the three centers together”

lots of emphasis

49. Centre of attention says:

Peter likes Unicorns. He also likes Klefbom.

50. tsg says:

I really like what Chiarelli said about the 3 centers. I really want to see the three of them together as well. Preferably for a full season.

51. Zelepukin says:

Centre of attention:
    Peter seems really upset he hasn’t seen “the three centers together”

lots of emphasis

And why would you not. Add in Klef, find a way not to dress Korpse and we could actually see a glimmer of a real life NHL team.

52. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Can someone chime in on what they think he meant by ‘paper transactions’ and thoughts on when he said “kick tires on a defenseman” was that a waiver guy potentially or more like a guy like Musil do you think?

53. Oil2Oilers says:

Centre of attention:
    Peter seems really upset he hasn’t seen “the three centers together”

lots of emphasis

54. Centre of attention says:

Oil2Oilers: And seemed to acknowledge some of his wingers were not playing with talented centers. Yak comes to mind.

Yup.

55. Zelepukin says:

Hall – Drai – Kass
    Poo – McD – Yaks
    JJ – RNH – Ebs
    Hendy – Lander – Pik

Davy – Klef
    Sek – Fayne
    Nurse – Clen

Talbot
    LB

56. Zelepukin says:

GUYS GUYS, I just realised we’ll never see Jultz on the PP again! This is like Christmas morning.

57. Cameron says:

Lowetide: Salary retention, and despite this year, Hudler recently had a big season. Thats my guess.

My understanding is no salary was retained.
    Last years #s are biggest reason for the difference.

Kiltymcbagpipes:

Many contending teams adding players on Monday are going to be waiving players to get their rosters to 23.

If defensemen hit the waiver wire, the Oilers are like to make a claim or two to take a free look, a la Clendening.

Kiltymcbagpipes:

Paper transaction is calling someone up but they wont play, and kicking tires is a waiver claim or a small trade like David Musil for Stephen Johns.

60. Магия 10 says:

Centre of attention:
    Peter seems really upset he hasn’t seen “the three centers together”

lots of emphasis

One hell of a line. He’ll need another center for Hall.

61. blainer says:

Kiltymcbagpipes:

62. Frank the dog says:

Don’t be blindsided by a blockbuster trade involving Hall. If he’s asked out then you can bet it will be LT’s forever hopes for 3 for 1.
    Don’t get al mad at Chia either. Thank his predecessors dor this year being the last straw.
    I’m not predicting or hoping for this. Just sayin’.

63. Магия 10 says:

Spydyr: First off why would he show his hand saying he is not done

FTFY

64. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

blainer: I think he said they may acquire a D..I wonder is that a waiver claim or a minor trade..

65. russ99 says:

Yet another player run out of town by the mob.

Got to like that he got back the same as what we got for Purcell, because other GMs think enough of him that they’d want to give up a decent pick, and will likely renegotiate a lower contract offer than non-tender him.

Best of luck in Pittsburgh, Justin.

66. Loyal2theoil says:

That’s exactly the type of verbal I wanted to hear from Chia

67. Stelio Kontos says:

Centre of attention,

It sort of sounded like pete wanted 3c short term (til the others can play toughs), but I may be reading too much into it. Sounded like he wanted to see all 3 so he could find out if one was expendable.

68. blainer says:

Kiltymcbagpipes: If so then you would think that means Reinhart stays down for the rest of the year wouldn’t it?

It may be best for him to stay down anyway. If they think he’s not ready there’s no harm in his staying there.

69. Stelio Kontos says:

Loved how he talked about working on summer deals now. Plant the seed, so you are first in line to make a big deal.

70. Centre of attention says:

Stelio Kontos:

Indeed. He said he has had lots of summer conversations this past week.

This summer will change the look of the franchise

I thought that was a very good avail. I am less worried about him trading the Nuge now, maybe that injury was a good thing. Seriously.

72. Магия 10 says:

blainer: Ya really makes me wonder there. I was thinking the same thing. Very interesting. They are sending a message to him that’s for sure.

Klef comes back and 88 can stay down.
    Bring in a D and 25 can go down.
    Development is good.

73. Samson Loveblast says:

74. Genjutsu says:

I would think that playing meaningful games in the AHL and the playoffs down there too is what they want for Griffin. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Nurse down there as well. It would seem to be the smart move for both players development.

Gives them a chance to take a look see at some other player.

The fact that it will save real dollars probably doesn’t hurt either.

75. Halfwise says:

This drops the team to 47 contracts, right?

Some room for the waiver wire and the NCAA, maybe Europe.

76. Gerta Rauss says:

Halfwise: This drops the team to 47 contracts, right?

Yes, according to general fanager anyway

77. rickithebear says:

ARCO -7

15-16 -39 Goal Dif
    SCHULTZ -22
    Letestu -15
    Yak -13
    Sekera -13
    Eberle -12 (-12 in first 13 Gm while still injured.
    Lander -10

Yakupov
    Korp
    Nurse

78. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

7 player deal Ott-Buf full of not well known names

79. MrEd says:

For the life of me I cannot see how Hall, RNH and Eberle don’t cover their respective contracts.

80. Barcs says:

I see that Mike McCarron scored his first NHL point tonight.

Probably unrealistic, but I would be quite happy if we could acquire him somehow from Montreal.

Interesting player with size and skill, and he was very good in last year’s Memorial Cup.

Seems like a Chiarelli player.

I don’t think that I would trade Yak straight across for him though.

81. JDï™ says:

That’s a great avail by Chiarelli.

His candid answers to the conversations between GMs, and about Jultz, not to mention his ‘The Three Cenors’ comment was golden, although I doubt it was intentional. It’s what I heard though, and THAT’S MUSIC.

And in reading between the lines, I think the only reason he hasn’t acquired OEL is Bookije – fark that guy!

82. Barcs says:

Dying to know what D-man Chia was talking about to acquire and ‘test drive’.

83. Zelepukin says:

russ99: Yet another player run out of town by the mob.

Jultz was terrible. If he was good, no one would be saying shit. If he was making 1M, no one would be saying shit. If he was playing 3rd mins and showing improvement, he’d still be here.

84. Магия 10 says:

Kiltymcbagpipes:

believe he was talking about renting a D to check for upside. can’t imagine him paying much for that.
    the other interesting thing is he emphasized teams struggling with tight cap as possibly driving flipping 3rds when the season is over.

Barcs:
    Dying to know what D-man Chia was talking about to acquire and ‘test drive’.

86. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Lowetide: It is easy enough to gather a list of waiver guys and fringe defenseman on non-contenders. I don’t think any of the teams close to a playoff with let a healthy D go at this time of year.

Whoever he is, he better be able to shoot right. :p

87. Магия 10 says:

Yeah. He sent something bigger out for a 2nd opinion. Thinks he’s bringing in something cheaper that caught his eye to do a 2nd opinion. imagine if it’s someone LT identified when he ran through all of the orgs.

88. smellyglove says:

“Oilers owe the Boston Bruins a second-round selection for Peter Chiarelli, it will be interesting to see if they pay it this season. If they do, perhaps we will see an offer sheet later in the summer. As for the deadline, I think Nail Yakupov is an interesting name to follow over the next 48 hours.”

Do you mean from the Oilers? How will they send in an offer sheet if they don’t have the 2nd rounder to do so?

Klinkhammer scores, 1-0 Bakersfield. He is fire.

90. linkfromhyrule says:

Is it possible it’s Patrick wiercioch? Word is he is available.

smellyglove:

If the Oilers offer sheet this summer, it will be the 2017 selections that are in play.

linkfromhyrule:
    Is it possible it’s Patrick wiercioch? Word is he is available.

Sure. He is a lefty, but that is exactly the kind of player who is in the breeze this time of year.

93. flyfish1168 says:

Gerta Rauss:
    Chiarelli audio

I like that he mentions how disappointing it was not to have 3 center men and how it would help the wingers.

94. JDï™ says:

Tom Gulitti
    ‏@TGfireandice

Tom Gulitti Retweeted njcoach24

Devils have scouted Oilers more than once in last week, so maybe something in works there. We’ll see.

95. Stelio Kontos says:

Can we calm down on the lefty talk? Lets get some elfin dmen, then worry about side. Sekera can play right decent enough, and Nurse should hopefully be bottom pair next year. I don’t think it is as big a deal as suggested.

Edit: Meant Reinhart.

96. blainer says:

Klinkhammer scores, 1-0 Bakersfield. He is fire.

Really hope if they can’t move Korpi that they switch places with him and Klink.

Klink plays a much more physical game and will be a good mix when hoppy returns.

97. kinger_OIL says:

Zelepukin:
    Hall – Drai – Kass
    Poo – McD – Yaks
    JJ – RNH – Ebs
    Hendy – Lander – Pik

Davy – Klef
    Sek – Fayne
    Nurse – Clen

Talbot
    LB

– Move some of the F’s on those lines to improve the D: 2 of Poo, Yak Ebs, and 1/2 of Fayne Nurse Griff. Plus the 6 top-100 picks to get some better top-4D, and another not old-busted G that is bona-fide. We can re-jig with all the assets now. Maybe Sleppy is bottom-6?

98. hoser313 says:

Glad they traded Schultz.

Don’t blame him for the deals his agent made with the Oilers.

Nobody deserves boos in their home rink.

Seems abundantly clear he was promised minutes and pp.

But – that was the price to get him.

Now, on merit, not in the Oil top six.

Time to move on.

99. Aron_S says:

With the talk of Hamhuis and the Stars/trade deadline, I just realized this will be the first time Hemsky tastes the playoffs since the 06 run. Wonder if he’s forgotten what that tastes like.

Was thinking of it because someone mentioned the “Hall will ask out with no playoffs” narrative. Think Hall hates it? Sam Gagner has never played in the NHL playoffs in his 9 year professional career. Despite being a multi-millionaire, that has to be a drag.

100. Pechetr says:

JJ:
    Schultz may be gone, but he was handled curiously. Most people are happy.

Maybe that’s why I feel a little sad that Justin, our free agentdefensemen (Thanks Ralph) is gone but our development process is still broken.

Let’s all be clear on Justin Schultz’ development. Justin Schultz CHOSE Edmonton because he was promised minutes and power play sweets in order to achieve his bonuses. That is the only reason he chose to come here. The Oilers simply kept their end of the bargain and Schultz did not keep up his end.

Show no sadness for Schultz.

101. JDï™ says:

hoser313: But – that was the price to get him.

Careful what you wish for. If you want the premium minutes, be prepared for the fans to show their displeasure if you fail to produce anything with them.

Works both ways.

102. Woogie63 says:

When the Jet got Dano in the Ladd deal, it gave them more bullets to get Hamonic this summer.

Stelio Kontos:

Edit: Meant Reinhart.

104. monsterbater says:

linkfromhyrule,

This was my thought, and hope as well. I’d give up a late round pick or flip a b prospect as he doesn’t appear to be in the good books in Ottawa. Flipping him for a Tyler vesel type would be a dream

105. Genjutsu says:

Lowetide: Sekera has been better LH side imo. I think they need to add two righthanders to the group

I’m of the opinion that it does fit the forwards as well. Especially in the defensive zone.

Balance: it’s a thing.

106. monsterbater says:

Genjutsu,

True but how much of an impact does it make? Icing your top 6 d is important too. Having a surplus isn’t a bad thing.

Genjutsu: I think we have enough evidence now to make it very clear to everyone that the LHD RHD deal is real and makes a noticeable difference.

Balance: it’s a thing.

For sure top two pairings, Sekera is better LH side and Klefbom works there and if they hire Hamonic that makes sense for a pairing. If you don’t have room for four lefties, one of Davidson or Nurse isn’t on the roster. I am fine with sending Nurse down, but am unsure the Oilers will make that move this fall.

Stelio Kontos:

Edit: Meant Reinhart.

Its real.

109. OilClog says:

Hall/Nuge/Ebs
    Pou/McD/Yak
    JJ/Drai/Kass
    Hen/Let/Pak

29 is worn out, would create a Large 3rd line.

110. Klima's_Bucket says:

Woodguy: Its real.

But is it spectacular?

111. AsiaOil says:

So the first of the original Hall core is gone – there will be more – but I’m glad Chia wants to see the 3C together. We may have to, or want to, trade RNH, but you don’t do that until he plays a full year with Hall and Drai or another big RW. Nuge will kill it under those circumstances.

112. Ryan says:

Woodguy: If you go through the last few threads you’ll see that Wheatnoil has pulled out L-R, L-L, R-R combos for a lot of teams and has found that L-R is superior by a big enough factor to matter.

Its real.

Listened to Chiarelli’s presser…

He sort of said that Schultz could transport the puck (skate with it) then noted that he couldn’t defend well and implied that he wasn’t elite at moving (passing) the puck.

Music to your ears?

113. wheatnoil says:

Its real.

More real than I thought it would be.

I still don’t like the Marincin – Gryba deal, but it puts it in a different perspective for me.

It’s another reason why I don’t mind Nurse for Hamonic as the basis for a deal.

I think you can run 4 out of 6 lefties or, hell, even 6 out of 6 lefties, but it seems like you lose some efficiency doing it. The pairings won’t be as strong as if you got equally or near equally talented RHDs. So you run it if that’s what you got but it may not be ideal.

Of course, there may be exceptions. Some D regularly play the off-side. We’ll have to see if they’re actually better there or just play a lot there.

Nurse for Hamonic
    Skilled winger for Vatanan
    Bam!
    Stanley Cup!

🙂

114. Zelepukin says:

Ryan: Listened to Chiarelli’s presser…

Music to your ears?

Yes, absolutely. His best skill was skating the puck from behind the net to our blue line. Very high success rate at that.

OilClog:
    Hall/Nuge/Ebs
    Pou/McD/Yak
    JJ/Drai/Kass
    Hen/Let/Pak

29 is worn out, would create a Large 3rd line.

I like this and I agree with giving Drai 3rd line comp. Nuge is our 1C right now, whether we want to believe it or not. He can handle the minutes against top competition.

AsiaOil: As for Yak – don’t really want to trade him as the last 2 games have shown that he can play when the going gets heavy. I might – maybe – would consider Yak and Korpse for McCaron and Eller. If Montreal doesn’t like it – screw em. Someone said they might not trade Yak because he’s the owners favorite – OK – but you can’t say he’s been gifted anything with respect to linemates, PP time or verbal from the coaching staff over the years. I think that pretty much discounts the owner pumping his tires – if anything – the way he’s been treated suggests he was a Tambo/Kruger pick.

The one thing that I’m waiting for Yaks to grow out of, is his baby lungs. He takes incredibly short shifts. Not because he is an unselfish player but he just doesn’t seem to have the conditioning yet. So when you look at his TOI and his usual line mates, is amazing he actually generates any scoring opportunities.

115. Stelio Kontos says:

Woodguy,

I’ve been pretty detached this year, which sucks, cus it seems that there has been a lot of progress with high danger scoring chances among other things. I need to start going through it.

All I’m saying is we need D, preferably RH, but we can’t be turning down someone who helps just because they are LH. Sekera is probably better on the the left, but I don’t think the drop off is like yak on LW or hall at c.

Balance: it’s a thing.

There hasn’t been a dynasty in over half a century that had more than 2 right shot D. Essentially every dynasty since the seventies had four or five lefties. Bruins, Canadiens, Oilers, Devils, Red Wings, Blackhawks.

Better to have good defensemen, regardless of handedness.

117. Aron_S says:

Have you guys read this? If you enjoyed the Chia presser, you’ll love this. Again, he strikes me a smart and reasonable man. How he ended up with Neely running the show in Boston and is dealing with MacT/Howson/Katz et al must be interesting.

Also the Flames just gave up three straight and are now down 5-4 in the third. Ha.

118. dangilitis says:

Zelepukin: Damn straight we’ll stop complaining about the Jultzing. You know why? Because he is no longer our problem. This attitude about the Oiler fanbase running players out is bullshit. For one, it has never been unjustified. This site is a prime example of the reality that the Oiler fan base is extremely knowledgeable and passionate and we’re able to quickly tell when a player just isn’t up to snuff and we’re not going to sit back and let the management incompetency get a free pass any more.

Abso-fucking-lutely. Everything you said.

I had a much longer rant the other night. Every Oilers D man has been playing above his head since 2006, but no one has self-destructed quite like him. He had 50 games of AHL development after a college career. Eventually, you have to look at yourself in the mirror and if you are you can either cry like a Poti or persevere. Trying is just not in this kid’s vocabulary. I say kid because an adult learner takes responsibility for his training and education. He has been able to drink (responsibly) in Alberta for 7 years. An adult, this guy is not.

119. Zelepukin says:

dangilitis: Abso-fucking-lutely. Everything you said.

I had a much longer rant the other night. Justin Schultz is the age of an adult. Every Oilers D man has been playing above his head since 2006, but no one has self-destructed quite like him. He had 50 games of AHL development after a college career. Eventually, you have to look at yourself in the mirror and if you are you can either cry like a Poti or persevere. Trying is just not in this kid’s vocabulary. I say kid because an adult learner takes responsibility for his training and education.

To look at it even further, you’ve obtained an amazing job, you’re paid very well for that position. You’re given the tools and personnel to evaluate your performance on a NIGHTLY basis. That’s like one of us having an employee review every fucking day!

The big question mark for me is, what kind of shit show employee reviews was the previous coaching staff/management having? Is anyone actually shown video? Do they ever pull up Yaks and say hey Yaks, look at this tape. See how you’re not keeping speed entering the offensive zone and thus putting our guys offside for the 50th time? Ya, stop doing that.

120. LadiesloveSmid says:

Gaudreau has 9 more points than Hall in 3 less games. Not loving this stretch for #4.

I remember how excited I was when Edmonton signed Schultz and how in love I was after his first 7 games in the NHL. When will a bet work out well for the damned oilers. Oh well, good riddance that he is now gone. He did not fit and magnified the oilers problems.

121. CrazyCoach says:

Магия 10: …and straight into the Sun with Tonya Harding and all.

People despised Tonya Harding because of her involvement in the Nancy Kerrigan/94 Olympics gong show, but the reality is she was talented. Not sure Jultz could be considered talented.

russ99: Maybe everyone can finally stop the constant whining about Schultz like the guy kicked your dog or something.

Not really whining but more of a frustration at watching a guy who came out of college with the braintrust’s notion that he was Norris Calibre. When we realized he was the Jiri Dopita of this century, combined with the guys “who KNEW a thing about winning” and their insistence to stubbornly play him time and agonizing time again, that frustration grew to outright hostility. There is a time to pull the chute on a player and just come to the conclusion that he does not have what it takes to play at this level. That call should have been made two years ago, but MacT gives him a huge deal that 29 other GM’s shook their heads at.

He never kicked my dog, but he was emblematic of the ineptness that has run this team for so long, and that is the most frustrating part.

122. Genjutsu says:

godot10: There hasn’t been a dynasty in over half a century that had more than 2 right shot D.Essentially every dynasty since the seventies had four or five lefties.Bruins, Canadiens, Oilers, Devils, Red Wings, Blackhawks.

Better to have good defensemen, regardless of handedness.

This is a point that is frequently made that bothers me in hockey.

Not sure it is fair to compare today to the past as the game has changed so drastically.

The speed of the game and style as well as systems IMO mean that the RHD LHD is a bigger issue than it ever had been.

Traditionally the NHL had a much higher Canadian content and though I have no data to back it up I would assume that would mean a much high overall percentage of LHS players.

The game has changed and as far as I can see the data ask points to balance being of greater importance than it ever had been.

123. rickithebear says:

Gaudreau 2nd comp
    Home 30gm 36 EVP 6 Ppp
    Away 29gm 8evp 9 PPP

Hall top 15 toughest comp
    Home 31gm 27 EVP 6 ppp
    Away 32gm 10 EVP 3 Ppp

124. böök¡je says:

Samson Loveblast: The exact sense that I got too. Maybe that was ever only media speculation that got out of hand.

I’ve never heard of such a thing happening.

125. GCW_69 says:

The partners he had had when playing left haven’t been holding up their end though, have they? Isn’t it mostly with Nurse? Hard to get a fair read.

126. Магия 10 says:

CrazyCoach: Магия 10: …and straight into the Sun with Tonya Harding and all.

Hi. Straigtht into the sun with Tanya Harding was a Simpsons Treehouse of Horror reference. And the joke was for a commenter who said he’d be over the moon if Yak was moved out.

127. CrazyCoach says:

Магия 10: Hi. Straigtht into the sun with Tanya Harding was a Simpsons Treehouse of Horror reference.

I saw the clip and being a Simpsons fan, giggled my ass off.

128. Hockey Buddha says:

Sensible moves by Chiarelli, so I’m alright with them. Reasonable asset management. Nothing Earth shattering. Larsen wasn’t on my radar at all; I’d completely lost track of him (impressive numbers in the KHL though).

Purcell was a whipping boy last season, so that’s a good outcome imo. The team stuck with him, and he had a bounce back season, so I’m reasonably satisfied with that deal. Good season on an under performing team. I really didn’t expect Purcell to bounce back. Kudos to him. At 30, there’s 11 years difference between him and the epicentre of the team, and the team has an over abundance of Teddy’s player type. The team needs more power in the mix to dominate.

As for Schultz, I get the fan frustration with him. I didn’t like the booing the other night, but I understand that it was the venting of a season of frustration. When all is said and done, Schultz is still a 25-year-old young man, who lost his confidence.

Schultz brought his services to our organization, and I thank him for that. He had suitors from across the NHL coming out of NCAA, so I can kind of understand MacT’s loyalty. Schultz looked like a good bet, and he was a coup for the organization at the time.

Losing has ground through a lot of good people this past decade. An increasingly large number of men, young and old, have bled out from being part of the perpetual-losing-machine. I hope that the change of scenery gives Schultz a new lease, and I hope that he is able to regain his footing in a sidetracked career. Losing sucks the life force out of everyone involved until they can’t see straight any longer.

Chiarelli’s point about the team being hampered by significant injury is well taken, as is his point that the sky isn’t falling. Like most fans, I’ve lost all reasonable perspective at this point. It’s been an all too familiar season of expectation followed by disappointment. As the end of the season closes out, we’ll see what this team is made of. It’s character on display from here on in.

Finally, I’ll say that I loved Rexall. I have many fond memories from my childhood emanating from that building and the team that graced it in the 80s, but as the page turns on the building after the last 10 years, I can’t say that I will be sad. A new building will help to repair the team’s psyche. McDavid and Eberle, Hall and Draisaitl have shown us promising glimpses of what could unfold in the new building. A new building brings the potential for a new lease on life–the team and fans need it.

129. Genjutsu says:

GCW_69: The partners he had had when playing left haven’t been holding up their end though, have they?Isn’t it mostly with Nurse? Hard to get a fair read.

As opposed to the sweet talent he has had to work with the other way. Not sure I take your point.

130. rich says:

Aron_S:

There’s a lot of gold in that interview. We actually have someone sane at the helm of the ship finally. No dither, no bluster.

131. jm363561 says:

As I have said before I can put up with a lot if I see the team compete. Up to the All Star break I was totally ok with the season. Two blow out wins got the play off talk going and I was quietly confident my prediction of 77 points was doable.

I do not know WTF then happened but everything fell apart. Ok, Nuge went down but CMcD was back. Oscar was still out but had been since November.

Now two gritty efforts in Disneyland. I really hope that they are not showcasing the recently back in action A Lander. There is a gritty team player in there. If he goes for a sixth some team will get a bargain.

rich: There’s a lot of gold in that interview. We actually have someone sane at the helm of the ship finally.No dither, no bluster.

Tambellini – Dither
    MacT – Bluster

I like it.

133. theres oil in virginia says:

Hockey Buddha,

Very good post.

Northlands was one of the things that grew my love for the Oilers and Edmonton. The good ice surface was a bragging point. The name itself implies rugged individualism (who’s willing to brave the rugged north lands?) and I identify with that. However, currently the ice surface stinks and it hasn’t been called Northlands for some time.

134. Frank the dog says:

The streets around Whyte Avenue are littered with young people who were blessed with unrealised talent that they only were able to show in flashes due to bad decisions accelerated by circumstance that finally caught up with them.
    Someone would try to work with them, lift them up, they’d show initial promise, and down they’d go again. Rinse and repeat.
    Schultz is obviously a sensitive, intelligent, talented young man who fell apart here. Who thinks this city, let alone NHL Hockey, is a place for a sensitive young man? We are certainly not a good place for a sensitive, non-combative defenseman. The fact of the matter is that he came with talent and then fell apart here.
    I lived in the Bay area for several years. Their selection of things to do and see outside of work are probably a lot better suited to a person like Schultz than here, if one has the income that Schultz had to live in the rich places like Saratoga. But success here was not to be for Schultz, and this place does not have a lot of patience with gentle natured, nom-confrontational, cerebral players.
    I’m of the belief that Schultz found his refuge in something that kept him unable to show anything but flashes of his potential, something that is np longer any of our concern, and as a person i wish him well.
    I also think the type of team tha Chia builds is very well suited to the nature of this fan base. There is art and intellect and beauty to be found here, but there are, or were, a lot more pickup trucks and oilfield workers.
    Let’s not forget the impact of two teenage centers and the absence of Klefbom. Perhaps the team will get better at some point, maybe not. We’ll see I suppose.

135. blainer says:

ARCO -7

15-16 -39 Goal Dif
    SCHULTZ-22
    Letestu -15
    Yak -13
    Sekera -13
    Eberle -12 (-12 in first 13 Gm while still injured.
    Lander -10
    Korp -10
    Nurse -9
    PURCELL -9
    Fayne -9
    Nug -8
    GAZDIC -6
    KLINK 14gm -6 To AHL.

If we can move
    Yakupov
    Korp
    Nurse

This.

Nurse is the only risk there IMO. But he will get us value in a return. So maybe it is a great time to move him even if I think he has Number 1 potential.

Chia is getting very close to fixing this so he can’t stop now.

The one silver lining in all this is the chance of getting in the top three of the lottery hopefully for the last time.

136. Marc says:

I’ve been a pretty consistent Schultz defender over the years. I really did think he’d eventually put all the pieces together and become an effective top 4 D.

It’s become clear over the past few months though that if he is able to put it all together, it won’t be with the Oilers. He has really regressed. It’s like he’s lost, or doesn’t trust, the offensive instincts that made him so dangerous in college and the AHL. And if anything his defensive decision making seems to have gotten worse.

I hope he figures it out someday, but I have to say that I now doubt that he will.

137. theres oil in virginia says:

Marc,

Agreed. Although, expectations due to salary seem to factor in here pretty large. Mike Green was a tire fire in his own end during his early years too. Now he’s coveted. Schultz never should have been given 20+ minutes per night, but when you get paid, you’ve got to deliver.

138. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

theres oil in virginia,

Schultz is 25 and one of the worst Dmen in his own zone I’ve ever seen.

It’s not going to change.

139. blainer says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    theres oil in virginia,

Schultz is 25 and one of the worst Dmen in his own zone I’ve ever seen.

It’s not going to change.

If he stands a chance.. no matter how small.. it will happen in the east on one of the better teams.

He better hope for good goaltending.

140. jp says:

rickithebear,

blainer: This.

Chia is getting very close to fixing this so he can’t stop now.

It’s not at all clear to me from that list why RTB chose Yak, Nurse and Korp to single out.

Why not Ebs, Sekera, Letestu or Lander?

141. theres oil in virginia says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    theres oil in virginia,

Schultz is 25 and one of the worst Dmen in his own zone I’ve ever seen.

It’s not going to change.

Yeah, but it’s his head that is the problem, and that may be the result of being thrown into the deep end right away and sinking like a stone. He has defensive skills, but his ability to read plays, not just defensively, is what is causing the deadly hesitation that gets misinterpreted as “don’t give a shit”.

I wouldn’t bet on him to win the Norris trophy, but I think he’ll have a career after his salary is adjusted. Third pairing sheltered offensive spark plug or bust.

142. jp says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    theres oil in virginia,

Schultz is 25 and one of the worst Dmen in his own zone I’ve ever seen.

It’s not going to change.

143. Marc says:

theres oil in virginia:
    Marc,

Agreed.Although, expectations due to salary seem to factor in here pretty large.Mike Green was a tire fire in his own end during his early years too.Now he’s coveted.Schultz never should have been given 20+ minutes per night, but when you get paid, you’ve got to deliver.

I think a bigger problem than too many minutes is who he was playing them with.

Other than half a season with Klef last year he never played with a good partner that could effectively cover for him when he made mistakes. And Edmonton’s forwards have been consistently terrible at both covering when the D activate in the OZone and providing good passing outlets for DZone exits.

Basically the team around him exacerbated his biggest weaknesses, which made it that much harder for him to improve. That said, the team’s structure has been better this season, and Schultz has somehow been worse. The forwards aren’t shooting the Dzone early as much, and seem to be more available for an outlet pass. Schultz seems even more likely to send a weak backhand up the boards this year though. That can’t be what his coaches are teaching him- he’s either not listening or not understanding, four years into his NHL career.

It’s that kind of thing that makes me think he’ll never make it.

144. Snowman says:

Oiler center depth next season…Mcdavid, Stamkos, Nuge, Drai, Matthews.

Think the league hates us now….Just you wait.

*Maniacal laughter*

145. VanIsleOil says:

WAS cute is the operative word….

146. admiralmark says:

The team can compete quite decently next season with an addition of 2 X top 4 D men. 1 of which can be acquired via free agency I think that’s a reasonable assumption? The other can be acquired without giving up Hall, Eberle, Draisaitl, RNH, Nurse, Klefbom, or Davidson…. So why would we? To break up the so called rotten core? I just dont see it being rotten. Get these forwards and Young D 2 legitimate top 4 preferably RH D men and run that till next years trade deadline would be my choice. At the very least it will raise the value of any of these players if a trade is deemed necessary at that point.

Frank Seravalli ‏@frank_seravalli 6m6 minutes ago

#FlaPanthers still pushing hard to move RFA F Brandon Pirri. Nothing close at the moment. Will take a player or a pick for him.

148. threeputtdouble says:

Excellent — Fat Terry has finally thrown Yak right under the bus. And on we go.

In other news: could anyone possibly care less who we draft this year? It is quite incredible to be looking at possibly first overall again and people (me included) could not give a shit if it’s Mary or Joseph. No 18 year old, no matter who, will help next year. Please, please gords let us either trade the pick or let this be the year the next savior spends another year in junior.

149. CrazyCoach says:

jp: I agree with Virginia, he’s not going to become a good defender, but there’s still a place for him in the NHL.

Yeah, it’s called the AHL.