THE RAVEN

There was a play late last night, Ryan Getzlaf driving down low behind the Oilers net. Fans recognize this play, it is basically a death rattle in a late, tied game in California. Brandon Davidson, wearing a training camp number on his not-so-broad shoulders, boxed out the giant and skated away to safety. Brandon Davidson, with each passing day, is becoming the hero of our story.

THE DONNER PARTY, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2014: 4-5-1
  • Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0
  • Oilers in November 2014: 2-9-3
  • Oilers in November 2015: 4-7-2
  • Oilers in December 2014: 2-8-4
  • Oilers in December 2015: 7-6-1
  • Oilers in January 2015: 5-7-1
  • Oilers in January 2016: 4-5-2
  • Oilers in February 2015: 5-6-1
  • Oilers in February 2016: 3-8-2
  • Oilers after 63 in 2014-15: 18-35-10, 46 points (-66 GD)
  • Oilers after 63 in 2015-16: 22-34-7, 51 points (-38 GD)

Oilers have posted a strange week. Awful against the Senators, they played pretty well in Los Angeles and grabbed a point against Anaheim—they are not a good team when close to Disneyland. Lots of issues, but they were mostly errors of youth and the terrible special teams—one assumes those will be cleaned up this summer.

DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT

oilers blue nov 30

• Sekera—Fayne played well, like the pairing (although Fayne won’t play these minutes next season). Sekera played 8:07 against Getzlaf (4-8), not sure if that was luck or deployment. Either way, he was 14-13 against the rest and had some nice offensive moments. Fayne pinched pretty well, covered (save for the Getzlaf PP goal) well enough on the evening.
  • Davidson—Oesterle is a fun pairing. Oesterle gets knocked over like a cartoon character, but other than that he is a solid defender in these callup games. Good decisions, he and Davidson clearly have chem from the OKC days. Davidson is cementing his position as the Fernando Pisani of this era of Oilers. He came out of the sky, just a little south of Moline.
  • Nurse—Clendening were not effective together, Clendening had a bad night full stop. Speed appears to be the issue, he is 35 games into his NHL career and is probably the seventh guy when they trade Schultz/activate Klefbom. Nurse was 6-5 away from Clendening, but he was chasing a lot again last night. Those AHL playoff games are going to seem a breeze. Would Chiarelli trade Nurse in that three-for-one?

INDIVIDUAL HIGH-DANGER SCORING CHANCES

• Two: Jordan Oesterle
  • One: Andrej Sekera, Jujhar Khaira, Zack Kassian, Jordan Eberle

CENTERS, LAST NIGHT

oil c nov 30

• Connor McDavid had some moments, but seemed a little off during the evening. McDavid didn’t push the river like usual, probably that bastard Kesler. Pucks skipped, he was not as sharp as we have come to expect, but let’s review: 19.
  • Anton Lander is either being showcased, working his way out of the shithouse, or both. He hasn’t scored since Christ was a kid and I would still rather have him working in the offensive zone than Letestu.
  • Mark Letestu drew a penalty, but the coach is using him too much and it is blinding me.
  • Leon Draisaitl had a tough night, not just the GWG. He, like Nurse, is falling off a cliff and it is tough to watch. I just hope we don’t get a bunch of dopey flash in the pan posts on him. He is bona fide, I would argue this season from Leon puts him on anyone’s no-trade list (mine is McDavid, Hall, Leon, Nuge, Klefbom if he can stay healthy).

WINGERS, LAST NIGHT

oilers f nov 30

• Benoit Pouliot’s assist was splendid, a fine play by a big man with speed. His 9:30 EV TOI ranks behind ALL wingers and I do not have a reason for it.
  • Pouliot—Eberle cashed and after that had some promising sorties, but nothing that you can point out as a big moment.
  • Hall—Kassian had some moments (Kassian had a point blank chance, could easily have cashed) and I like the wingers on that line. Leon isn’t getting a lot done, this trio needs the Nuge—and for Draisaitl to take a week and re-set.
  • Korpikoski—Hendricks did some good things—the broadcast showed a nice backcheck by the Finn—but if they aren’t showcasing one or both, I want an explanation about the TOI for these two men.

Interesting move, the pick has a 15 percent chance of playing 100 NHL games based on Scott Cullen’s work. Nilsson has played 49 NHL games, the pick Edmonton acquires is unlikely to exceed that number. Still, Ethan Bear (fifth) came from last year’s selection, so maybe the Bob Green group has some ability to turn the pick into something more. It is a lottery ticket—not THE lottery ticket—but Nilsson (an RFA) served his purpose and Edmonton received some value for him.

One final item: If you are Laurent Brossoit, this is something of an endorsement (although PC can find a higher end backup in summer). The Blues have two fifth-round picks, their own and the Columbus Blue Jackets pick (for Jordan Leopold). This was a nice deal, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves: This is not a high stakes transaction. I suggest the Billy Preston rule will probably apply when we look back in 2022, but Peter Chiarelli has turned Liam Coughlin into an asset, and there is value in it. Chiarelli is well on his way to a house in Kipling, Saskatchewan.

Another interesting development on trade deadline weekend. In looking at possible Panthers assets that Edmonton might be interested in, there are multiple attractive options, including Brandon Pirri—who was mentioned in Elliotte Friedman’s 30 Thoughts and has been trumpeted by our own Centre of Attention over the last while.

TRADE DEADLINE CHEAT SHEET

1. R Teddy Purcell—Looks like this deal is close, my guess is a second-round pick or a legit prospect. If you look at the offensive options at forward in the system (the top 20 this summer is going to be barren), getting a prospect a couple of years post draft has merit.
  2. R Nail Yakupov—New to the list, Habs are following the Oilers closely and it feels like something could happen (now or at the draft). Lars Eller has been mentioned as a possible return, that would allow Edmonton to enter next season with an experienced (if pricey) 3C.
  3. F Matt Hendricks—Todd McLellan played him a lot last night, showcase? I will say a second-round pick, could be high.
  4. D Mark Fayne—No one is mentioning his name, suggesting to me that either the Oilers have no interest in dealing him, or the term is too dear for contending teams. Either way, he is the best defensemen the Oilers have who is potentially available, and I will guess second-round pick.
  5. D Justin Schultz—There is a chance they won’t be able to trade him, and my earlier estimate of a third-round selection may be too aggressive. Still, that was my bet before the HS week we are living in, so I’ll stay the course.
  6. D Eric Gryba—If they trade him, he should fetch a fourth-round selection, about what he cost the Oilers.
  7. L Lauri Korpikoski—There seems to be some rumbling about Korpikoski, showing that NHL GMs don’t really pay close attention to performance and famous names rule the day. Fifth-round pick.
  8. C Anton Lander—He played a lot again last night, after not playing much at all for a long time. Has to be a showcase. Sixth-round pick.
  9. G Anders Nilsson—Traded for a low goalie prospect and a fifth-round selection in 2016.
  10. D Phil Larsen—Traded  for a fifth-round pick in 2017.

brossoit williams3

Photo by Mark Williams

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

Laurent Brossoit doesn’t own the backup job in Edmonton for 2016-17, but today’s trade opens up an opportunity for a significant audition now to the end of the season. The Oilers could give him five starts and see how well he performs in a backup rotation, and if they a comfortable with him, that is one fewer thing to shop for in a hectic summer window.

Nail Yakupov appears to be in play at a fairly high level, and we could see him traded this weekend. Peter Chiarelli and Todd McLellan no doubt have their decision made, and if it is an exit, I hope the young man ends up in a good place. Suspect many will be disappointed in the return, but if it is Lars Eller (or a legit scoring forward prospect), it could work out fine.

Darnell Nurse is not progressing, and when Oscar Klefbom returns I believe it would be wise to get him some time in Bakersfield. Give the Condors a boost defensively, ensure the playoffs and plenty of opportunities to play deep into spring, and give the young man a chance to re-set.

272 Responses to "THE RAVEN"

« Older Comments
  1. Dicky94 says:

It’s nice they didn’t have to retain any salary.

2. Lloyd B. says:

the Oilers ultimately trade a 6th overall for a 3rd round pick about 86 overall. Becauseoilers ?

The stand alone deal appears reasonable for Purcell, but long term they can’t keep managing their assets like this. They just can’t. It is 180 degrees opposite of the red paper clip strategy.

3. raventalon40 says:

G Money: I don’t think this is correct.

One thing that WheatNOil’s work showed is that most D play better in LHD-RHD pairs.Even some pairs where that concept ought to break, like Gio-Brodie.

His work so far isn’t definitive (7 teams rather than all 30), but it is, as the saying goes, ‘highly suggestive’.

The other thing I found interesting about his work is that when he looked at the comparative data for LHD-LHD vs LHD-RHD vs RHD-RHD, it was very rare to find an RHD combo. Teams just don’t have them to spare.

This makes sense from the biographic data from the NHL.Of the 279 players listed as defensemen, 175 (63%) are LHD.Or to put it another way, there are 71 more LHD in the league than RHD.

What this tells me is that, given that handedness turns out to matter quite a bit, if you have two equivalent D, one L and one R, the RHD is worth considerably more, simply from a supply-demand point of view.

So not only should you happily swap a comparable LHD for an RHD anytime you get the chance, but also if you do have a capable RHD in the system … oh, you know, if I picked a name randomly out of a hat, say, a Jeff Petry … a smart GM goes out of his way to keep a guy like that.

I think you missed the point here…

I wasn’t debating the effectiveness of RHD in the LHD-RHD pairing setup. I’m just saying that we’re collecting pieces for the summer ahead, and that everything is just business at this point. We’re collecting assets for future transactions because the season is effectively over.

You don’t turn down a trade for a good LHD prospect like Pouliot if he’s not a right-shooting guy… he was asking about potentially acquiring Derrick not about getting rid of Petry.

4. raventalon40 says:

Lloyd B.:

The stand alone deal appears reasonable for Purcell, but long term they can’t keep managing their assets like this. They just can’t.It is 180 degrees opposite of the red paper clip strategy.

If sunk cost bothers you on the 6th overall wait til the kick in the can when we trade Yakupov

5. G Money says:

raventalon40,

Unless your point was considerably different from what you actually typed, I don’t think I did. You said:

raventalon40: 2. have too many LHD? then you can trade LHD for RHD, also not a problem

And my point was that you will NOT be able to simply trade an LHD for an RHD, in fact, you will find it exceedingly difficult unless you are willing to take back a much lesser player.

6. wheatnoil says:

G Money: I don’t think this is correct.

I’m liking this system. G Money does the heavy lifting and provides the data, I monkey around with some numbers, then G explains it all better than me.

I agree. St Louis does run more RHD – RHD pairings on account of Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, and Parayko being better than pretty much everyone on the left side, but otherwise teams run far more LHD-LHD and they tend not to be as strong as an equivalently talented LHD – RHD.

I’m not sure exactly how to do this, but once I run league data, we may be able to determine the estimated corsi gain from having an LHD-RHD pair vs LHD-LHD and potentially estimate a cap value that a RHD is worth over an equally talented LHD given their relative rarity in the NHL.

(Woodguy has requested the corsi gain be called the Woodguy Coefficient. I countered with the Darcy Sidedness Factor.)

7. raventalon40 says:

G Money:
    raventalon40,

Unless your point was considerably different from what you actually typed, I don’t think I did.You said:

I said, yes, I’d happily take that trade and figure out the rest later because that’s not the time to worry about RHD vs LHD.

8. wheatnoil says:

raventalon40: The original question was whether or not to acquire D. Pouliot or not to because he is a LHD, not a RHD.

9. frjohnk says:

Peter Chiarelli ‎‎@FakeOilersGM

I tried to get a 2nd round pick for Teddy, but in the end he’s just not worth as much as I am.

10. kooler says:

Flames get two picks we get one….is Hudler that much better than Purcell?

11. raventalon40 says:

wheatnoil: That’s the rub I think. If the LHD and RHD prospects are equally talented, you take the RHD. But if there’s a gap in potential / ability… how much is that handedness difference worth? That I don’t have an answer for.

GMoney has missed the point entirely. I’ve always been a fan of the RHD-LHD pairing. I was just answering the fricken question about acquiring Derrick Pouliot!!!!

This following point is obviously a gross oversimplification, but if Montreal offers you Emelin or Gilbert I think it’s an easy decision… you take what is available LHD or not. I’m not debating the effectiveness of LHD-RHD pairings… to say that I am is to miss the point entirely.

D. Pouliot available? Take it. Don’t think twice. The market is the market and if the equivalent RHD is not available do you think twice? Of course not.

12. G Money says:

raventalon40,

Yes. And I would not take Pouliot back, because he’s a LHD and simply adds to the Oiler glut on that side.

If you get him to trade him, you almost certainly get back a much lesser RHD.

Or if you keep him, and trade someone lower on the LHD depth chart, you also get back an even lesser player.

And that’s if you can do either of those trades at all. More likely you’re stuck with yet another LHD.

In other words, Pouliot, because he’s LHD and not a top pairing guy (unless you believe he can be that), has little value to the Oilers, and might even be seen as a problematic return on a trade.

13. frjohnk says:

kooler:
    Flames get two picks we get one….is Hudler that much better than Purcell?

Hudler is better ( he was top 10 in scoring last year, injured somewhat this year) and his value did not take a hit like Purcell, as Purcell played for the Oilers ( players playing for perennial bottom feeders have lower value) and was basically a buyout candidate the last two years before this year.

Ladd has more value than Hudler, but I don’t think its by much.

Ladd returned a 1st and a former 1st.

I thought that Hudler would return at least a 1st.

14. raventalon40 says:

G Money:
    raventalon40,

Yes.And I would not take Pouliot back, because he’s a LHD and simply adds to the Oiler glut on that side.

If you get him to trade him, you almost certainly get back a much lesser RHD.

And that’s if you can do either of those trades at all.More likely you’re stuck with yet another LHD.

That’s how the Oilers ended up without ever replacing their 3rd line centers after they trade them… from Stoll to Gordon on down… probably RNH will be the next victim of this unless PC has a plan to replace him as well. Same reason he secured Letestu before moving Gordon. If your’e going to worry about making trades because of LHD or RHD you will not be able to build adequate depth or collection of assets for future trades… simply because you will have nothing in your cupboards to trade with because you were too busy worrying about it.

Another oversimplified scenario: say the Oilers have a deal to move Klefbom for a big name RHD in a separate deal. Like a true, true blue, #1 RHD. Do you move to acquire D.Pouliot as an organizational depth move to shore up your D core from behind as Klefbom moves out, if it’s available? A good organization will fill in that void before making a hole somewhere else. The only exception to this rule is if you’re up against the 50 man list and you need to move guys for picks.

Adding to the glut because he’s a LHD. Give me a break. PC and any other GM would take D.Pouliot in a trade on any day if he was available, and not bat an eyelash.

15. G Money says:

frjohnk,

Yeah, I tend to agree.

I think Hudler has demonstrated that he can be a featured first line player.

Teddy can play the first line, but he’s a complementary player.

A third seems like an OK return for Teddy. The Falmes maybe did well to get a little bit of a bonus in that fourth.

I’m also finding Florida’s situation interesting. Obviously, they’ve improved by adding Hudler, Purcell, and Kindl.

But while they are/were a good team, I’m not convinced this is anywhere close to putting them over the top. So they’re mortgaging (some) of the future for what seems to me would be a very uncertain present return.

Strikes me as a bit premature.

16. jp says:

kooler:
    Flames get two picks we get one….is Hudler that much better than Purcell?

Similar numbers this year (with an edge to Hudler), but last year:

Purcell 82-12-22-34 -33
    Hudler 78-31-45-76 +17

I’d pay more for Hudler if I were a buyer.

17. wheatnoil says:

G Money:
    raventalon40,

If you get him to trade him, you almost certainly get back a much lesser RHD.

I guess the point is that if someone’s willing to overpay with a LHD for whatever reason, you’re taking a gamble that the over-valuation covers the difference from flipping to a RHD or the loss of effectiveness from having a LHD-LHD pairing.

I’m just not sure how much “extra valuation” is necessary in order for it to cover the difference.

18. raventalon40 says:

wheatnoil: Unless there’s no RHD available for Schultz and the lesser RHD you get from the hypothetical Pouliot trade is better than any RHD you’re getting from Schultz now.

The market is the market! You can’t wish the RHD into availability, you can only pile up assets, prospects, and picks to acquire them either through the draft or trade (short of signing them via UFA, offer sheet, and if you’re not up against the 50 man list).

So yes, I think I am in agreement with you. Covering the difference? I’m not worried about comparing with something that’s not available though. If you have two offers and a RHD is avialable, then sure, do the comparison.

19. Frank the dog says:

Centre of attention:
    NateInVegas ‏@NateInVegas11h11 hours ago
    #Oilers are now 3-11-2 without Nugent-Hopkins. And getting outshot 45.9% to 54.1%

I don’t understand. Soft guys out of a lineup and we still lose?!? Eberle must of doubled his softness since Nuge left!!! Its the only way!!!!

*sarcasm*

Check out the other softies we’ve had to go without this season……
    CMD 37 games
    Klef 31 games
    (Nuge 13 games)
    Ebs 13 games
    Poo 9 games
    Davidson 8 games

20. G Money says:

raventalon40,

Meh. We’ll have to agree to disagree.

If Pouliot is as good as you suggest he is i.e could make Klefbom potentially expendable, why on earth would any team give him away for a few months at most of Justin F’in Schultz?

If so, you’re arguing about the merits of one of those garbage-for-talent trades that are ON staples.

And if he’s not, if he really is the kind of young D that you’d trade away for RFA Schultz, you haven’t solved a damn thing other than add to the bottom of a silly LHD depth chart that already includes Sekera, Klefbom, Davidson, Nurse, and Reinhart.

AND made your shortage at RHD worse, without adding an asset that is *actually* tradeable for anything remotely resembling a serviceable RHD, which are in short supply.

If he’s good, we’re not getting him.

If he’s not good, pass.

21. Klima's_Bucket says:

G Money,

I’m watching the Jackets/Panthers game at the moment.

They just said the Panthers have a 125 point pace when both Barkov and Ekblad are in the lineup.
    This is a team with a virtual non-existent PP.
    Logan Shaw features prominently on the Cats PP and has 0 PP points this year.

Adding Purcell and Hudler surely can’t hurt their chances to improve their PP and take a run at a weak Eastern Conference.

22. raventalon40 says:

G Money:
    raventalon40,

Meh.We’ll have to agree to disagree.

If he’s good, we’re not getting him.

If he’s not good, pass.

I think so.

I also didn’t imply that D.Pouliot makes Klefbom expendable. I’m merely saying there’s a lots of situations where you would acquire assets to fill voids that may or may not exist. Adding to organizational depth should be an ongoing thing, regardless of who you’re looking at – LHD or RHD. Whether you’re trading Klefbom hypothetically for a RHD or an impact winger or whoever, I would still look to fill in anywhere along the totem pole as someone will likely move up to fill in that LHD spot that has been vacated.

Same reason you don’t move out a Nilsson without bringing back a no-name goalie. Same reason you don’t move out a Gordon without a Letestu. Same reason you SHOULDN’T move out a Stoll or Brodziak without a plan.

Just an asset management plan, but anyway, the trade is there… take it. The market is the market.

23. LoDog says:

I was hoping the Oilers would get prokhorkin. Was looking over khl players recently and he stood out as a young guy leading team in goals.

24. JDï™ says:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 4m4 minutes ago

Purcell to Florida deal still pending a trade call with the league. So not official yet.

25. G Money says:

Klima’s_Bucket,

That makes sense. They’re 19th overall in SACF% by a tweet I saw a while ago, so even with those guys and a better PP, not sure I’d be betting heavily on them.

Then again, if you have a decent team, a decent PP, and goaltending, anything can happen …

26. Woogie63 says:

At this point in the year, I would like to see Nurse moved to the AHL and play the remaining 20ish games and play-offs with Reinhart. Let’s see how much Musil as improved.

27. Bruce McCurdy says:

square_wheels: I love were calling him found money, but in fact, he’s anything but found.

Magnificent Stu and his boys drafted a kid with all kinds of talent, a working class ethic and nurtured him with fantastic AHL coaching.

We need to keep feeding Fleming kids like this, ones with the heart and brain, willing to put in the time to become an NHL player.

Davidson is the result of many things coming together, but we didn’t find him, we grew him.

OK, same applies to Charlie Huddy too, I suppose. Oilers did “find” BD in the sixth round of his second draft year, but you are right the organization deserves full credit for handling him perfectly up to this point. Sent him back for an over-age year of junior, used the full three years of his ELC to develop him as a pro, gave him a couple cups of coffee in his third year, and then this year when they would have had to expose him on waivers, they kept him around as an 8th D-man and gave him a chance to work his way into the line-up. Three quarters of a season later we have several local media members touting him as their vote for Oilers Defenceman of the Year.

But maybe I should choose a different turn of phrase to describe all that.

How about “the kicker” in the Lubo-for-Barbaro deal that may ultimately turn that swap in Oilers’ favour? Just a sixth round sweetener, but who knew?

28. square_wheels says:

Bruce McCurdy,

I’d sure love another Lubo, although Sekera played a game last night that reminded me of some high points of the Vish.

I’m starting to see this D differently, with Julz gone and Klef back, were not the miles away from home we thought we are.

29. square_wheels says:

JDï™,

Maybe they decided to throw us Pirri after all ????

30. oilfan9911 says:

Per Dreger on Twitter, Schultz to Pittsburgh.

31. square_wheels says:

Jultz is going to piss Sid off so much, cant imagine the stink eye he’ll get from Crosby when he lolly gags after a turnover.

32. LoDog says:

Return on Schultz?

Mact would have traded for prokhorkin with no idea if he would come over. Lombardi swindle averted.

33. Surly says:

tweets suggesting a 4th rounder. I recall that afternoon when we got Schultz…the tweets coming out mid-day as he rejected other teams one by one and we eventually found out he chose the Oilers.

And this is where it ends.

34. BONVIE says:

Ok so we traded our best trade bait days before the deadline for a late 3rd, and we have given up two 2nd round draft picks to bring in extra management to turn our 30th place team into a 30th place team. I am having a hard time following this we will need to sell off everyone in the trade bait pool just to come close to break even on draft picks for the management additions. What an organization!

35. Surly says:

the real insiders are now saying 3rd rounder

annnd Lebrun confirms we retain 50% of the salary. That’s Norris potential ladies and gentlemen.

36. Woogie63 says:

Friedman getting killed by TSN insiders. Still not reporting Shultz

37. Really? says:

With some of the goats being traded from the Oilers, who are the fans going to attack now?

I freely acknowledge that the last ten years have been terrible for Oiler fans but we simply have to get rid of the negativity that seems to permeate the fan base. All it does is create a toxic environment for the players on the team and this is certainly not helping them in any way.

Hard as it may be, I am going to try to be positive going forward. Really positive.

38. raventalon40 says:

Surly:
    the real insiders are now saying 3rd rounder

annnd Lebrun confirms we retain 50% of the salary.That’s Norris potential ladies and gentlemen.

Hallelujah

39. Alpine says:

Woogie63:
    Friedman getting killed by TSN insiders.Still not reporting Shultz

He’s about to go on TV for the evening, probably getting ready or something.

40. Pretendergast says:

BONVIE,

2nd and a **3rd for something that wouldnt apply if they hired them this year.

Looks like we got the 2nd this year and now 2 3rds.

The NHL is funny that way, but we’re pretty much break even.

Draft picks arent that valuable anyway unless theyre 1sts, even then.

41. Dr. Taboggan says:

Sail on Jultz! Who are the frontrunners for new Oilers goat?

42. HeatTreaterJoe says:

Really?:

There are still PLENTY of goats left for everyone… MacT, Lowe, Howson…

43. Klima's_Bucket says:

Alpine: He’s about to go on TV for the evening, probably getting ready or something.

He’s gotta get his hair done just right to hide his ever growing bald spot.

44. Marc says:

Craig Custance Verified account
    ‏@CraigCustance

Some pretty smart people around hockey seemed to think Schultz would really benefit from a change of scenery. Lots made Petry comp.

Umm…..

I don’t think ‘smart people’ means what he thinks it means.

45. OF17 says:

Marc:
    Craig Custance Verified account
    ‏@CraigCustance

Umm…..

I don’t think ‘smart people’ means what he thinks it means.

Maybe this was one benefit of the Petry debacle? People had seen us get fleeced on a top-4 RHD before and thought it was a trend?

46. frjohnk says:

Marc: Craig Custance Verified account
    ‏@CraigCustance

If the change of scenario is out of the NHL and into a lesser league, those smart people are probably right.

Even though the Oilers retained 50% of his salary, getting a 3rd rounder for Schultz makes the 3rd rounder return for Purcell seem underwhelming.

I had thought the Oilers may not have been able to move Schultz and we would have had to endure the rest of the season with him in our lineup.

I guess there is a Gord.

47. kooler says:

Fan favourite already….wish him luck.

48. BONVIE says:

Marc:
    Craig Custance Verified account
    ‏@CraigCustance

Umm…..

I don’t think ‘smart people’ means what he thinks it means.

Look how Shultz played with a rookie Klefbom, now imagine if had been able to play with the veteran version of Klefbom. I think the right pairing but not on the top pair could make all the difference in the world, he will still have to find some heart though, and a bit of work ethic. I mean on a team who has probably the worst work ethic of not only the NHL but the AHL he managed to be one of the standouts.

49. admiralmark says:

Schultz I want to thank you for assisting with getting all those high 1st round picks. But I wont miss the Jultz one bit. The only thing I would of liked better is if Chiarelli had traded him to a Western Rival. I cant remember being happier about an Oiler being traded out. Now lets talk about Korpsicostski,

50. Klima's_Bucket says:

EdmontonOilers Verified fake account
    @Edmonton Oilers

There will be a parade in Edmonton on Monday celebrating the departure of Justin Schultz.
    In the spirit of Schultz, there will be plenty of giveaways to those in attendance.

51. David says:

Marc:
    Craig Custance Verified account
    ‏@CraigCustance

Umm…..

I don’t think ‘smart people’ means what he thinks it means.

The Petry situation makes me really question NHL scouts. How could anyone who paid attention not know Petry was a good top four defenseman when he was on the Oilers? The fact that some people compare Schultz to Petry! It’s unbelievable! Their is a huge difference, Petry was good on Montreal because he was good on Edmonton. Schultz has been awful in Edmonton. Expecting him to be like Petry once moved he’d have to have been like Petry here. And he hasn’t been close. I’m trying to find a word that would correctly describes how much it boggles my mind that NHL scouts would think Petry was like Schultz… I can’t handle the stupidity…

52. smellyglove says:

Which direction does the 3rd round pick go in the Schultz deal?

53. frjohnk says:

smellyglove:
    Which direction does the 3rd round pick go in the Schultz deal?

nice.lol

54. Norman Greenbaum says:

Stay classy, my friends.

I’m sorry it didn’t work for Schultz and the Oilers.

Good luck, Justin.

Stay classy. And wait until he’s on the plane.

55. JDï™ says:

Norman Greenbaum:
    Stay classy, my friends.

I’m sorry it didn’t work for Schultz and the Oilers.

Good luck, Justin.

Stay classy.And wait until he’s on the plane.

What do you mean, ‘stay’? 😉

56. Магия 10 says:

smellyglove:
    Which direction does the 3rd round pick go in the Schultz deal?

To Pens in return for the cap space.

57. Halfwise says:

Norman Greenbaum:
    Stay classy, my friends.

I’m sorry it didn’t work for Schultz and the Oilers.

Good luck, Justin.

Stay classy.And wait until he’s on the plane.

Agreed.

He picked Edmonton.

Agents need to prepare their clients for us fans. Whatever you do, kid, make it look like you’re trying.

Anyone remember Bobby Russell and Bill Flett? One was popular, the other was capable.

58. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

I dont want to hear anyone complain 3 years from now if Schultz actually becomes decent saying “we should have never got rid of Schultz.” Clearly it was the best move for all parties involved best of luck to him glad hes moved on. Still sick of the constant b*tching here about Norris trophy candidate Jeff Petry…..

59. flyfish1168 says:

Justin just don’t let the plane door hit you on your a$$ on the way out.

justin must be aware and probably told he has a very weak slap shot. you would think during the summer months he would have worked to improve it. I didn’t see any improvement. Yet he gets a raise.

60. Water Fire says:

Not the greatest returns for either. Schultz ok, but obviously Purcell is not looked upon as being that valuable given his production this year.

Don’t stop now Pete

61. blainer says:

Finally I can watch a game and my yelling at the TV/60 will be reduced drastically.

This is a great return as IMO he had little to no value and was expecting him to be waivered.

In the last two games management saw the difference with Shultz not in the lineup.

Now that he is gone he is not our problem anymore and I really wish him the best. I expect he will get a flyer with somebody on a PTO but be out of the league by XMAS. I don’t think Pittsburg will qualify him.

Man did he ever cash in and is set for life.. He has Mr Katz to thank for that for sure.

I will miss Teddy and would have no problem in re signing him in July for the right price.

62. blainer says:

Kiltymcbagpipes:

That is something none of us will have to worry about.

63. Norman Greenbaum says:

Just to clarify, is the FLA pick 2017 or 2016?

64. blainer says:

Norman Greenbaum:
    Just to clarify, is the FLA pick 2017 or 2016?

2016 according to sportsnet.

65. Магия 10 says:

blainer: That is something none of us will have to worry about.

66. blainer says:

Магия 10: Agreed. But reserve the right to Told ya so if they move Yak. Totally different.

There is a higher chance of that happening with Yak for sure as he is still young. I will be surprised if they trade Yak. While I would be very happy about it I think he is Katz’s favorite player. Outside of CMD that is..

67. Norman Greenbaum says:

blainer: 2016 according to sportsnet.

Only reason I ask…

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC · 25m25 minutes ago

2016 third-rounder for EDM.

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC · 30m30 minutes ago

Hold on, EDM says 2016 pick. FLA says 2017.

68. Lucinius says:

Norman Greenbaum: Only reason I ask…

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC· 25m25 minutes ago

2016 third-rounder for EDM.

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC· 30m30 minutes ago

Hold on, EDM says 2016 pick. FLA says 2017.

Florida one is wrong.

TSN guys checked; it is indeed the 2016 pick.

69. bobinyvr says:

Captain’s Log,

Thanks for offering your opinion. I too think Hall has excelled/improved this year and shown more leadership than before.

Hall around top ten in scoring too. I suggest trading him only because I think he’d get a much better 1st pairing D than the 1st overall pick. But as you point out losing his experience throws 3 young centers into the deep end … AGAIN.

Ebs has been my favourite player since the rebuild began, so I would hate to see him gone too.

But Chia has to do something.

And my biggest concern is that team still 30th and free agents have seen too many careers crater in Edmonton to want to sign here.

It sure is a puzzle.

70. who says:

kooler,

Yes I would take Hudler for the next 2 months long before Purcell. I think he is a much better, more creative offensive player. You would think Purcells size would make a difference but he is a softer player than Hudler in my opinion.

« Older Comments