SHOOT THE MOON

I can’t believe he got up. Benoit Pouliot—clearly a man’s man, this was a Mike Grier moment—had every right to writhe in pain and lay on the ice until death arrived (or at least a whistle). Whatever else we can say about Benoit Pouliot as a player—he is a very good one—those moments last night, when he went back to executing the PK while his arm was falling off, will be in my memory for a long time. There is a time to man up, but I have no idea where that kind of gumption comes from.

YAKUPOV CAPTURE 1

Among the damnable things that have happened this year, the Nail Yakupov injury at center ice ranks right up there as being wildly unfair. In the first month of the season, playing with the phenom Connor McDavid, Yak City posted impressive numbers (12, 2-8-10, 30 shots on goal). After that, 97 got hurt, Nail got hurt, and since November 1 the Russian is 30, 3-2-5, 59 shots on goal). Nail Yakupov, young Russian pure of heart, has endured some pretty damned bad luck in his time.

The sequence of events that kept him from playing with McDavid for an entire season likely cost him his Oilers career. Chances are the Oilers will regret it more than he will, as time goes by. If it is goodbye today, I wish you well Nail Yakupov. Shoot the moon, and then some. I hope you find home.

And yet? Perhaps the hockey Gods have found a way. We wait.

GET HAPPY, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2014: 4-5-1
  • Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0
  • Oilers in November 2014: 2-9-3
  • Oilers in November 2015: 4-7-2
  • Oilers in December 2014: 2-8-4
  • Oilers in December 2015: 7-6-1
  • Oilers in January 2015: 5-7-1
  • Oilers in January 2016: 4-5-2
  • Oilers in February 2015: 5-6-1
  • Oilers in February 2016: 3-8-2
  • Oilers after 64 in 2014-15: 18-36-10, 46 points (-69 GD)
  • Oilers after 64 in 2015-16: 23-34-7, 53 points (-36 GD)

Oilers stand No. 29 overall and the Leafs are hobbling all players who sharpen their skates, so this one is going to be a marathon not a sprint. I actually think Edmonton could climb past a few Canadian teams—there are selloffs everywhere in our nation today.

TRADE DEADLINES OF THE PAST

• Best Trade Deadline Deal: A team with the history of the Oilers is going to have some cherry moments. I will pick the 1988 trade that sent Andy Moog to the Boston Bruins for Billy Ranford and Geoff Courtnall. It paid off big—in 1990.
  • Worst Trade Deadline Deal: March 1997 Edmonton dealt Miro Satan to the Buffalo Sabres for Craig Millar and Barrie Moore. It was crushing.
  • Best Deadline Deal this Century: Dwayne Roloson 2006. Amazing.
  • Worst Deadline Deal this Century: Almost getting Ben Bishop then sending a perfectly good pick for Jerred Smithson stands out.
  • Source

I would have preferred four years times reasonable, but suspect Peter Chiarelli wanted to see the player for longer than 59 NHL games before going long term. Remember, unlike Oscar Klefbom, Davidson does not come with great pedigree (Round 6 selection) and has not established himself as a legit top 4D (although I do believe he may cover that in the future). I would also suggest that, despite this contract being similar to the Jeff Petry deal, the Oilers are less likely to have a relationship with Davidson that resembles the bizarre Petry—MacT dynamic. I would have grabbed some free-agent seasons.

One final note: It looks like the Oilers did in fact get three players out of that 2010 draft: Taylor Hall, Martin Marincin and Brandon Davidson. It took Davidson five years, and a little bit, to show his quality. Congratulations on the contract, suspect Edmonton will regret not going longer on the deal by about Christmas 2016. It is a very reasonable deal with a very friendly cap hit: 2-year/$2.85M contract extension. $1.425M cap hit. One thing people must remember: Along with making the correct call on all deals, Peter Chiarelli badly needs value contracts. Davidson is surely one.

DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT

oilers blue nov 30

• Sekera—Fayne had a good night, Sekera was excellent carrying the puck and had some good looks, plus a couple of sublime passes and pinches. A solid game by the veteran. The Islanders blocked a lot of shots, but I did like the gaps all defenseman had when they made decisions. NYI didn’t pressure like the California teams, but I also felt the Oilers moved the puck crisply and seemed to have better looks. Fayne came in handy defensively including a denial of a pass headed to John Tavares in a danger zone.
  • Davidson—Oesterle are a fun pair, they seem to fall and jump back up like weeble people. Oesterle appears to be about that height, as well. All joking aside, well done to both men and Brandon Davidson is emerging as a quality player. I think this might free up one of those other lefties for trade. Still not certain about top 4D, but he is playing so well I think we can say he is a quality third-pairing guy who can move up in case of injury. The modern Pisani is music. He was 1-1-2 last night, +2.
  • Nurse—Clendening had some tough moments (the goal was ridiculous, should have heard a whistle after Clendening fell) but were able to hold their own. A quick look at opposition shows McLellan seemed to be trying to keep them from the tougher outs. Nurse played well enough in what I would call third-pairing minutes, and if the Oilers coaches have the discipline to keep him in that role, he probably plays well enough to stay. Bakersfield remains a reasonable option.
  • Cam Talbot had another strong night. His .914 SP for the year remains below average, but he is still recovering from the early struggles. Talbot’s .914 is a wild upgrade from Ben Scrivens .890 one year ago.

OILERS CENTERS, LAST NIGHT

oil c nov 30

• Connor McDavid and his line had a great possession night, didn’t cash until late but held an edge in play. McDavid’s office is that landing strip from the blue line to the goal line RH side in the opposition end. He plays that real estate like a grand piano and he will end careers and create a generation of homeless defensemen.
  • Anton Lander scored a goal! Area 51 has landed! Good for him, I am so happy for him.
  • Mark Letestu had a tough night, took a goofy penalty and was on the for Isles goal He may be good enough for 4C next season, don’t think they will find a market for him today. His lack of EV offense is concerning.
  • Leon Draisaitl and his line bled pretty badly at 5×5, but he scored the winning goal and made some great passes. Also made some poor decisions, check that, slow decisions, that the Islanders gobbled up. Not quite 100 percent, either by injury or exhaustion. I am pleased he cashed, these lines have been having hard times lately.

WINGERS LAST NIGHT

oilers f nov 30

• Pouliot—Eberle skated miles, and I have to say the big winger provided fans with one of the truly brave moments in Rexall history. No idea how in the hell he stayed on the ice while enduring such incredible pain. Balls of a pirate, that guy. Word today is that he suffered a significant should injury, I suspect he could be done for the year. That was Mike Grier brave by Pouliot. Eberle used his skill to get his line into good situations, was not able to get many good looks himself.
  • Korpikoski—Hendricks played pretty well against a tough assignment. They were the one line that didn’t score, but Letestu’s lines don’t score much this year. Hendricks is probably in play today, Oilers likely want to offload the Finn. Both had pretty good nights.
  • Khaira—Yakupov did well, they played lesser competition but kept them at bay and the line scored a goal. I would like to see Yakupov get the push, no idea if it happens. If the Oilers plan on trading him today, the Russian had a nice game with some discipline.
  • Hall—Kassian seemed reckless and in a hurry, but you can see this line has all kinds of potential. Kassian hits so hard it hurts the viewer. Hall had six shots and was pushing the river all night, despite the possession numbers. This line had some wobbly moments, as mentioned it seemed they were making slow decisions. I guess the best way to describe them is to recount a three-on-one where they didn’t get a shot. Turrible.

INDIVIDUAL HIGH-DANGER SCORING CHANCES

• Two: Taylor Hall
  • One: Connor McDavid, Mark Letestu, Benoit Pouliot, Zack Kassian, Leon Draisaitl

This would be a very nice get for the Oilers in my opinion. If you put Brandon Pirri on 3L instead of Lauri Korpikoski, I think that represents an upgrade of impressive proportions. Hope it happens.

Looks like the Oilers are settling all family business, getting Davidson under contract was followed quickly by this item. It may signal that Brossoit is the de facto NHL backup next season, but I would hope the Oilers add a legit third option. There is a real need for competition at this position. Elliotte Friedman reports the deal is a $750,000 times two, that puts the goaling cap at less than $5 million. Update: It is reportedly a one-way deal, so we have our answer about the future.

LOWETIDE TRADE DEADLINE CHEAT SHEET

1. R Teddy Purcell—Traded for a third-round selection (I estimated a second).
  2. D Justin SchultzTraded for a third round pick (I estimated a third).
  3. G Anders NilssonTraded for a low goalie prospect and a fifth-round selection in 2016.
  4. D Phil LarsenTraded  for a fifth-round pick in 2017.
  5. R Nail Yakupov—Lars Eller has been mentioned as a possible return, that would allow Edmonton to enter next season with an experienced (if pricey) 3C. The Pouliot injury may play into the decision, hope he stays.
  6. F Matt Hendricks—I will say a second-round pick, could be too high an estimate.
  7. D Mark Fayne—No one is mentioning his name, suggesting to me that either the Oilers have no interest in dealing him, or the term is too dear for contending teams. Either way, he is the best defensemen the Oilers have who is potentially available, and I will guess second-round pick.
  8. D Eric Gryba—If they trade him, he should fetch a fourth-round selection, about what he cost the Oilers.
  9. L Lauri Korpikoski—There seems to be some rumbling about Korpikoski, showing that NHL GMs don’t really pay close attention to performance and famous names rule the day. Fifth-round pick.
  10. C Anton Lander—He has played quite a bit recently. Has to be a showcase. Sixth-round pick.

I am on the Trade Deadline show today, beginning at 10 this morning, TSN1260. I will update the blog as I am able, but you can expect a complete post at 5pm Edmonton time this afternoon if the good lord is willing and the creek don’t rise.

364 Responses to "SHOOT THE MOON"

« Older Comments
  1. Gordies Elbow says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!,

Apparently. Wouldn’t be shocked to see others assigned as well.

2. JDï™ says:

Did Jim Nill lose a barn fight today?

3. Магия 10 says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    Cult of hockey saying that Nurse was assigned to the AHL.

Paper transaction for the playoffs yes?

They would have done that transaction for sure whether or not Nurse is going down now. If not now possibly when Klef comes back or for the playoffs.

4. rickithebear says:

STL 12-13
    W/ Porter; Sobotka; Backes; Stewart; 3.59 EVP/60

STL: 10-11
    W/ porter; Jansen; Crombeen; Reeves 1.90 EVP/60

5. frjohnk says:

blainer:
    Wasn’t expecting Yak to be traded but was disappointed it never happened all the same.

IF and that’s a big if they play him with Connor I hope it will put an endto.. he is not getting a chance to play with talent angle.

I am still not expecting much from him even when he does play with CMD. I expect he will be gone at the draft and Chia has to make it happen as I expect he will demand a trade by then anyway as well he should.. if he expects to have any kind of a career.

I expect Chia to fix this mess once and for all at the draft and Free agency. Hopefully he haswilling trade partners.. be wary of garth Snow though as he did well with Chia on the Boychuk and Reinhart trades.

Yaks value is low. Why sell now?

He is cheap. Still young enough to be a decent 2nd line player.

6. frjohnk says:

JDï™:
    Did Jim Nill lose a barn fight today?

I’d say so

7. AsiaOil says:

Ducey: The flipside to MOAR BIGGER is “LOOK, BOXCARS!”

Too bloody true – I’ll use that in the future

8. razor says:

With the amount of UFAs stuck on non-playoff teams (Great job today Canucks!), I’m sure glad Chia was able to unload both Purcell and Schultz. Chia did the work he needed to this deadline. Can’t say that about Benning.

9. kinger_OIL says:

– I give Chia a passing grade+ on this.

– Before trade deadline, I asked what the +/- was on roster exits. Figured 4 would be amazing

– Ultimately 2 roster players were traded (which was my over/under)

– Nillson and Larsen found money for sure: good job there, so passing grade +

– If they put Nurse back to AHL for a chunk more games, and bring up Griff for maybe another 5 game look/see,they met my ideal on Nurse/Griff AHL/NHL shuffle to boot.

– the hungry desperate vets/plugs they got from waiver wire are smart pick-ups: just to show the young guys how to prepare and play hard I suspect, and that’s a positive + put the kids in AHL

LoDog:
    As much as Woodguy might try to convince you otherwise. Gelinas is another LH 3rd pair dman.

The Oilers are short on those?

Edit: And picks saved today are worth so much more at the draft.

Where did I say he was more than that?

11. LoDog says:

Woodguy: Where did I say he was more than that?

Busting your balls on handedness. ☺

12. frjohnk says:

razor:

Vancouver huge fail today. Huge

13. frjohnk says:

Gregor, “sounds like Pouliot is done for the season.”

Awesome, a whole year and we never had the chance to ice a full lineup.

LoDog:

The Oilers are short on those?

Edit: And picks saved today are worth so much more at the draft.

He’s a twitter exchange where I described him as a 3rd pairing Dman:

Woodguy ‏@Woodguy55 2h2 hours ago
    I like Gelinas too, good trade for COL.

@knockoutpanda
    @Woodguy55 Seem like a bottom pairing guy that puts up some points, maybe a better Schultz.

‏@Woodguy55
    @knockoutpanda Young 3Rd pair, but does good in that spot and can play PP

Sorry to bust your narrative.

15. LoDog says:

Woodguy,

Scroll up. ☺

LoDog: Busting your balls on handedness.

Ah crap.

I thought you were busting my balls on him being 3rd pairing.

Dammit!!

17. blainer says:

frjohnk: Yaks value is low. Why sell now?

He is cheap. Still young enough to be a decent 2nd line player.

Yup Agreed. I suspect teams were trying to stick us with a bad contract.

Wait til the off season. I still think his value won’t change much but we aren’t making the playoffs anyway.

18. DRFNsuperstar says:

19. JDï™ says:

DRFNsuperstar,

Erik Erlendsson Verified account
    ‏@erlendssonTBO

Steve Yzerman said the door is open for Drouin to come back and play this year

20. Ribs says:

I don’t think the Oilers really needed a Brandon Pirri. Guys who shoot as much as him are usually cheating to get those shots, and it usually just creates chaos all over the ice. He wouldn’t add size or grit, and he’d be another young player that needs moulding. The Oilers have plenty enough of them as-is.

I was hoping we’d see something today that would help the team in the future via trades, but I guess it wasn’t meant to be. This had better be one hell of a summer, Chiarelli! 🙂

*buckles up*

21. stevezie says:

DRFNsuperstar,

Yzerman stuck it to him? Drouin has not only done nothing at the NHL level, he has done nothing at the A. He has devalued himself to the point that it’s not much of a sacrifice for the Lightning to say, “screw it. We’ll trade you when we get a hood offer, not before.”

I know his agent knows things i don’t, but I would to hear a good explanation of their strategy. Looks like self-sabotage from here.

22. Doug McLachlan says:

DRFNsuperstar: So who’s up for starting a Drouin to the KHL rumour? I love how Yzerman stuck it to him and didn’t trade him. His value will be a 4th rounder come this summer. Is he going to go back to play for the crunch or continue his strike?

I think he’ll be suspended for the season – which has the bonus of keeping him under the number of games played limit (believe 40) where his UFA eligibility moves a year closer. He’s screwed himself over on a couple of fronts now. Yzerman will still be able to deal him for value, just he’ll do it at the draft.

23. voxwah says:

“We have a trade coming. It will be announced shortly.” Chiarelli.

I heard Chi did trade for Pirri but Woodguy said no, lefthanded.

25. fifthcartel says:

Patrick Maroon. He’s actually a good player I think.

26. Caramel Batman says:

JDï™:
    DRFNsuperstar,

Erik Erlendsson Verified account
    ‏@erlendssonTBO

Steve Yzerman said the door is open for Drouin to come back and play this year

He’d be a fool not to take it.

I do, in fact, think the Lightning treated him harshly, in a way that has harmed both the player and the club. Still, sometimes you have to swallow your pride.

27. Norman Greenbaum says:

fifthcartel:
    Patrick Maroon. He’s actually a good player I think.

Does LT get to use Deep Purple or Purple Rain for his introductory write up?

(I think LT is a Deep Purple guy)

28. frjohnk says:

Patrick maroon

29. AsiaOil says:

Can’t say I’m totally impressed with the “massive” payoff for Purcell since it basically meant that we buried a 1OV with some of the worst bottom 6 players in the NHL for half a season. I personally don’t think the 3rd round pick was worth that. In 14 games at the start of the year before he was moved up to the top line – Purcell was 2-2-4 -7 with our bottom 6 wonders. Playing with Taylor Hall “helps”. We will see about Yak going forward – but it’s either play him or trade him – this is the 3rd season he’s been miscast and gone undeveloped.

I was hoping for a hockey trade Chia did the minimum necessary at the trade deadline – no more – but the Davidson and LB contracts are good. People need to put a lid on the Davidson hype though. I was an early booster of the guy and defended mgmt.’s decision to keep him on the big team this season – but for Pete sake just keep developing him instead of throwing him into top 4 situations. Right now he’s a #5 who can play up to #4 if necessary. If you have him as your #2 LHD – what happens when the #1 LHD gets hurt? That’s right – Davidson becomes your top pair LHD which would be all too Oilers. Can we just build some defensive depth for a change and not have guys playing over their heads at the start of the year and then drowning as soon as the first injury shows up. Really tired of “the plan” being guys having career seasons and no one gets injured.

30. Norman Greenbaum says:

I heard Chi did trade for Pirri but Woodguy said no, lefthanded.

Took my wife quite a while to get used to being called ‘wrong handed’ or ‘cack-handed’ when we lived in the UK. Usually by people that were forced to write right handed during the 50s and 60s.

31. Centre of attention says:

Maroon was added instead of Pirri. Looks like size DOES matter.

2 more years at 2 million. Looking at his possession and production stats….yikes.

Could be another Korpikoski.

32. JDï™ says:

Norman Greenbaum: Does LT get to use Deep Purple or Purple Rain for his introductory write up?

Might as well stick with Prince – we’ve already got Pardy Like It’s 1999.

I heard Chi did trade for Pirri but Woodguy said no, lefthanded.

Patrick Maroon is LH

Meh.

34. G Money says:

What A Maroon’s Danger WOWYs.

Fuck. I’m inclined to think the Coke Machine era of size without skill is back after all.

Hope he turns out to be a young Matt Hendricks, but I’m not holding my breath.

Centre of attention:
    Maroon was added instead of Pirri. Looks like size DOES matter.

Could be another Korpikoski.

No, he’s a better hockey player than Korpse, but still meh.

36. G Money says:

Are there any other players named Adam we can pick up on waivers? Or did we get all of them?

37. Ducey says:

frjohnk: Vancouver huge fail today. Huge

Those words make me happy 🙂

38. Caramel Batman says:

G Money:
    What A Maroon’s Danger WOWYs.

Fuck.I’m inclined to think the Coke Machine era of size without skill is back after all.

Hope he turns out to be a young Matt Hendricks, but I’m not holding my breath.

You are surprised? For all the good verbal, I’ve noticed no significant improvement in management.

39. fifthcartel says:

One thing I really don’t like about this is they basically help Anaheim clear 2m to sign their RFAs, which should be the players they really want.

40. Younger Oil says:

Wait, we got Maroon? For who/what?

41. PunkInDrublic says:

Man oh man this team is getting bigger and meaner quickly. Chia putting his stamp on things. I’m impressed and very pleased with our new GM.

It’s not perfect, and I expect there will still be a substantial trade or two in the summer, but damn, this team is no longer “soft”.

42. blainer says:

Younger Oil:
    Wait, we got Maroon? For who/what?

Hopefully Korpi

43. Norman Greenbaum says:

Caramel Batman: For all the good verbal, I’ve noticed no significant improvement in management.

Please elaborate. ‘Noticed’ would suggest that you made this observation by eye and not through clearly defined criteria of what makes good or bad management.

For myself, I believe that the overall management of this team has improved significantly, most of all the communication from the club to the media to the fans. The fact that Chia was able to get a 3rd rd pick for Jultz, albeit retaining salary that disappears in the summer, was an example of good management.

I’ll give you Reinhart though. WTF with that. 🙂

44. Caramel Batman says:

Norman Greenbaum,

Well Reinhart was terrible, and everything else is fudging at the margins.

So one major mistake and no hell-yeah that’s a good trade, moments. That’s a failing grade.

The Leafs, on the other hand, seem to make nothing but good moves, while drafting very well.

45. Caramel Batman says:

PunkInDrublic:
    Man oh man this team is getting bigger and meaner quickly.Chia putting his stamp on things.I’m impressed and very pleased with our new GM.

They are, however, still not good.

46. Caramel Batman says:

Now if you want to spin this in a positive light now that the need to get bigger question has been addressed without having to get rid of our good players maybe we can keep our good players.

If trading for Maroon means we don’t try and sign Lucic then I am all for it.

47. Protagonist says:

I have an ugly feeling that either we gave up a good pick (3rd rounder or something) or the prospect was a good one, like Slepyshev.

48. Professor Q says:

Patrick Maroon. Nice.

49. Professor Q says:

Caramel Batman:
    Norman Greenbaum,

Well Reinhart was terrible, and everything else is fudging at the margins.

So one major mistake and no hell-yeah that’s a good trade, moments.That’s a failing grade.

I disagree.

50. Norman Greenbaum says:

Caramel Batman:
    Norman Greenbaum,

Well Reinhart was terrible, and everything else is fudging at the margins.

Well, I don’t know where to begin. I suspect you’re antagonizing me, you cheeky mongoose!

But let’s pretend you’re being serious.

It’s hard to score with you when the goal posts don’t even exist, let alone move. You have to be fair. You can’t (well, technically you can) say Chia only makes bad moves and when he makes a good one, it’s fudging at the margins.

Chia’s done nearly what the Leafs have done – replenish the pick cupboard whilst not hurting the roster he wants to keep.

However, knowing how it went with the Oilers, how can you say the Leafs have done a good job? They are a long time from the play-offs. Name a bona fide NHLer that will suit up for them next game.

51. G Money says:

Caramel Batman,

I liked Chiarelli’s trading of dross for magic beans over the weekend.

As many on Twitter are emphasizing, while Maroon is not having a good year this year, among the plus points are that
    – he’s been a decent possession player the previous two seasons
    – over those last two seasons, he is fifth on the Ducks in ES P/60, and on the Oilers he would be second (to Hall)

So there’s a ‘buy low on a reclamation project’ here.

Let’s hope this is Matt Hendricks redux and not Lauri Korpikoski redux.

We didn’t send any skill away.

52. Durag says:

Caramel Batman:

So one major mistake and no hell-yeah that’s a good trade, moments.

Talbot?

53. G Money says:

An interesting opinion from someone who certainly can’t be accused of being anti-analytics, nor part of the MOAR BIGGER crowd:

Kassian and Maroon were bought at basically the exact low-point of their values and have NHL talent. Big boy teams do this. Be happy.— Michael Parkatti (@mparkatti) 29 February 2016

54. John Chambers says:

Is Anaheim retaining salary? This guy is a 4th line winger. I would much much rather have cap space.

55. vinotintazo says:

so LW depchart:

Hall : 6M
    Poo: 4M
    Maroon: 2M
    Korpse: 2.5M (yikes)
    Hendo: 1.8M

so much for bringing Lucic… too much money on wing.

56. Gordies Elbow says:

The pick for Maroon is reportedly a 4th. Any idea who the prospect was?

57. JDï™ says:

Snowman:

Doesn’t look so bad to me…

Was he playing regularly with Getz/Perry?

58. Younger Oil says:

If Edmonton gets rid of Korpse, and Cracknell turns out decent, their bottom 6 wingers next season could be Kassian, Maroon, Cracknell, and Hendricks, with Khaira ready to fill in for injuries.

That’s some serious meat.

59. frjohnk says:

G Money:
    Caramel Batman,

I liked Chiarelli’s trading of dross for magic beans over the weekend.

– he’s been a decent possession player the previous two seasons

So there’s a ‘buy low on a reclamation project’ here.

Let’s hope this is Matt Hendricks redux and not Lauri Korpikoski redux.

We didn’t send any skill away.

I’ve been a fan of Maroon for awhile. Never thought we would get him.

Can play with skill, but is a big heavy bottom 6 player.

I think he was having an off year like most ducks until the new year.

60. Snowman says:

vinotintazo:

so much for blowing our brains out on Lucic who is overrated and soon to be overpaid by (hopefully) someone not named Chiarelli…

FTFY

61. PhrankLee says:

I’m happy to get Maroon. We get bigger and stronger. He will create space for the forward group.

It’s a man sized league. Keep going, Chia.

62. vinotintazo says:

Snowman,

😀

63. Visually better says:

There goes Yak’s spot in the top 6 aswell. Ahha christ, kid can’t catch a break

64. Snowman says:

JDï™,

He’s had some time with them. He is 5th on the Ducks is EVP/60. Might actually be a decent player.

Also if he produces with those guys he can probably produce with Drai/Hall or CMD/Ebs or Nuge/Kassian…

Big Unicorns?

65. Магия 10 says:

Younger Oil: If Edmonton gets rid of Korpse

Where do you bury a 2.5M cap hit Korpse next year?

66. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Snowman:

Doesn’t look so bad to me…

Looks like a pretty decent stat line for a 3/4 winger. Seems pricey but is at a good age and could move around if need be. Huge bugger that’s for sure.

67. stener says:

It’s gotta be a LHD prospect going the other way…

68. JDï™ says:

@LT – today’s 5:30 post should be called Supersize Me.

69. Snowman says:

I don’t know guys. Parkatti now has me convinced that this was a pretty good pickup.

Pretty good indeed.

70. Klima's_Bucket says:

Магия 10: Where do you bury a 2.5M cap hit Korpse next year?

Target senile GM’s prone to awful moves.
    see: Rutherford, Jim.

71. Adam Wu says:

I can’t really understand why anyone would be saying the Leafs “did good” up to now.

Dumping your remaining NHL-caliber players for picks is just about the easiest thing to do for a GM at the trade deadline.

It matters jack squat if you are later unable to turn those picks into players, whether by pick/develop, or trade.

And it has to be on THOSE later moves that Toronto’s management will be judged.

When Tambellini (was it him?) scorched the earth and salted the wells in the Fall for Hall, no one was criticizing him then, and rightly so. His failure to turn those picks into enough useful pieces was what sealed the judgment on his lack of competence as an NHL manager.

72. kinger_OIL says:

– One things for sure: Chia has brought in some “men” today.

73. Professor Q says:

Gordies Elbow:
    The pick for Maroon is reportedly a 4th. Any idea who the prospect was?

I’m just seeing a mid-round pick. No prospects.

74. Jaxon says:

Not going to be happy about this until I see what pick and what prospect. Will not be happy if it is someone like Paigin, Slepyshev, Bear, Reinhart, Brossoit, Khaira, LaLeggia or even Caleb Jones (I think he could be useful in a trade with CBJ). Anyone else, I think I would be okay with.

75. Younger Oil says:

Магия 10: Where do you bury a 2.5M cap hit Korpse next year?

Stupid GM, retained salary, or buyout I guess.

76. JDï™ says:

kinger_OIL:
    – One things for sure: Chia has brought in some “men” today.

Asshair/60 = 9.77

77. Snowman says:

Professor Q,

Mid round and Gernat

78. vinotintazo says:

gernat? lol

79. linkfromhyrule says:

MARTIN GERNAT AHAHA

So far, Chia has turned Phil Larsen, Liam Coughlin, and Martin Gernat into assets. Those players were never going to play for the Oilers. Nice job.

80. Backhand says:

4th and Gernat is a good bet

81. Reasonableness says:

So the prospect was really just to avoid being at 50 contracts….nice
    I feel much better now

82. Gordies Elbow says:

Wow, that’s a good deal for Maroon.

83. Protagonist says:

That’s … that’s really reasonable. Does this mean that other than (arguably) Purcell that Chia got good value for EVERY trade he’s made in the past 5 days?

84. McSorley33 says:

I am old school…..I like size. I do.

Purcell or Maroon?

Who is faster?……

Really enjoying the spin in here though…

As someone mentioned, does this not help Anaheim cap issues ?

85. JDï™ says:

Elliotte Friedman Verified account
    ‏@FriedgeHNIC

Benning says DAL deal for Hamhuis was parallel deal to what CAL got for Russell, but Stars chose the Alberta option

All I can say is, ?????

86. Younger Oil says:

Snowman:
    Professor Q,

Mid round and Gernat

Source?

87. stener says:

Gernat! Well played chia

88. JDï™ says:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 2m2 minutes ago

To complete that Edm-Ana deal: Patrick Maroon to the Oilers for prospect Martin Gernat and a fourth-round pick in 2016
    61 retweets 35 likes

89. zatch says:

Gernat? Nice! I liked him a lot, but he’s not going anywhere in Edmonton. He’s a nothing prospect.
    Good trade, Chiapet.

90. Tapdog says:

Younger Oil,

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun · 6m6 minutes ago

91. Jaxon says:

Gernat! I’m fine with that. Glad Gernat gets a fresh start too.

92. JDï™ says:

Didn’t Mact say this about Gernat, “I’ve seen bigger arms on a pair of glasses.”

#knowsathingortwoaboutglasses

93. SwedishPoster says:

I’ve always liked Maroon, a bit slow but can play up and down the lineup. Seems like we’re buying low, hopefully not because he’s on a downward trajectory. Wonder if Gernat is in there for contract reasons or if Anaheim sees something. He does have the physical build of a late bloomer so maybe they can carve something out of him, but if so it will take time no doubt. Solid trade.

94. square_wheels says:

Магия 10,

In Russia after his buyout.

95. Adam Wu says:

linkfromhyrule:
    MARTIN GERNAT AHAHA

You know, this is how you judge the competency of an NHL executive. The big splashy moves are always going to be dependent on uncontrollable circumstances and are basically a random element. It is the little things done to build up assets, one unheralded step at a time, and the accumulated effect of all those little good moves adding up over time, that make the difference between NHL teams. This it the kind of thing that the old Oilers management stood out as never being able to accomplish with any degree of consistency.

96. Магия 10 says:

McSorley33: Purcell or Maroon?

18 games of Purcell vs. 2 years of Maroon and cap space

(assuming not much difference between a high 4th and low 3rd)

97. Centre of attention says:

Maroon is the next chapter in the quest to get a “Nathan Horton” type player.

Maroon is a decent bet. I didn’t like it at first but doing some more digging it looks like he can actually play.

98. JDï™ says:

Bob McKenzie Retweeted
    Nashville Predators ‏@PredsNHL now2 minutes ago

Trade: #Preds acquire defenseman Corey Potter from the #Coyotes.

99. Professor Q says:

Snowman:
    Professor Q,

Mid round and Gernat

Just saw that. It wasn’t reported until just now though.

100. Магия 10 says:

square_wheels:
    Магия 10,

In Russia after his buyout.

ouch, twice as long on the cap hit.

101. Snowman says:

I had no real opinion on this trade at first. Now I’m leaning towards a Kassian like trade win.

Good work by Chia this deadline.

102. LoDog says:

Maroon. Nice.

103. Ribs says:

If nothing else, Patrick Maroon is at least a great hockey name. Maybe not quite Robert Klinkhammer great, but still pretty great.

104. alice13 says:

I had too much to dream last night

105. JDï™ says:

Flames purportedly still on hold for another trade call.

106. LadiesloveSmid says:

to add to what Parkatti tweeted a few days+ ago,

PC’s good moves are top pair D and starting G, his poor moves are shaky bottom 6ers.

Evident he’s trying to rectify that.

107. Pretendergast says:

I like the buy low.

The TSN guys are all over it thinking its a terrible deal. Jeff Oneill and Craig Button specifically.

So its probably a really good deal.

108. RexLibris says:

Maroon is a good pick up for this team. He drove the Flames nuts in the playoffs last year and is similarto Kassian as an instigator who can play, not as much skill as Kassian though.

Nice move by Chiarelli.

109. LoDog says:

Pretendergast:
    I like the buy low.

So its probably a really good deal.

Always do opposite George with button.

110. Snowman says:

1.69 P/60 5×5 from 2012/13 to 2015/16.

Guy is a hockey player. Between Paul Stastny and Marion Gaborik in production during that period. He’s a good add if he continues to produce. This is a down year but his history shows he’s a decent player.

The more I look the more I like this.

111. ASkoreyko says:

John Chambers:

Hah!

Maroon was about 160th in the NHL in forwards last year. He had as many points as Joel Ward. He also has considerable size and appears to actually use it (not like Penner).

I am not sure where you got that he is a 4th line player but I think you might need to do some more research.

112. Ducey says:

RexLibris:

Nice move by Chiarelli.

That 11/12 season in the AHL was a monster:
    75 gp 32 42 74 pts 120 PIM 219 shots.

113. raventalon40 says:

I’m assuming they sent down Nurse and Broissoit so that they could qualify to play in the AHL playoffs? Because we don’t have a backup goalie right now so I’m assuming he’ll be back up right before tomorrows game

114. square_wheels says:

RexLibris,

I can’t say it enough, but Kassian was a huge factor last night. We’ve been desperate for players of this ilk forever and kudos to Chia for loading our lineup with a few more.

Besides, look what Sakic did today !

I’ve watched Bleakley a lot, he needs an AHL stint but has responsible/complete #2 C written all over him. Boedker is -28, gross.

115. G Money says:

If Maroon is replacing Korpikoski, I’m 100% for this deal. Even if his performance this year is his new standard, he’s a better player than Korpse, and Chia-big.

If he’s ‘expected’ to perform because he did in the past, because ANA made a mistake and doesn’t know how to assess talent … um, that makes me nervous.

116. Frank the dog says:

raventalon40:

Probably a paper transaction. I doubt they ever left.

117. delooper says:

Today we saw the tell-tale signs of a competent GM.

And it looks like Yakupov likely gets one more try playing with McDavid.

Buy low. That’s the way to do it.

Edmonton doesn’t really have any over-valued talent right now so there’s no point trying to sell high.

118. RPG says:

I hate agreeing with Spec, but I have to agree with this, and you have no idea how much it pains me to say that.

Mark SpectorVerified account
    ‏@SportsnetSpec
    If you agree a major EDM problem was being too easy to play against, Maroon, Kassian, Cracknell in, Schultz, Purcell out has to work.

119. Gordies Elbow says:

Out: Purcell, Schultz, Nilsson, Larsen, Gernat, 2016 4th (EDM)

In: Maroon, Pardy, Cracknell, 2016 3rd (PIT), 2016 3rd (MIN), 2016 5th (STL)

Pretty good weekend.

120. JDï™ says:

Ducey: That 11/12 season in the AHL was a monster:
    75 gp 32 42 74 pts 120 PIM 219 shots.

His numbers were probably inflated, playing with some guy named JF Jacques:

121. raventalon40 says:

Frank the dog: Probably a paper transaction. I doubt they ever left.

Yeah, probably sitting at Earl’s having a beer already

122. Centre of attention says:

Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec · 18s18 seconds ago

Anaheim eats 25% of Maroon’s $2M cap hit for next 2 years. EDM on hook for

So he is even cheaper. Not bad at all, Chiarelli. Not bad at all.

123. Snowman says:

Centre of attention:
    Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec· 18s18 seconds ago

Anaheim eats 25% of Maroon’s $2M cap hit for next 2 years. EDM on hook for

So he is even cheaper. Not bad at all, Chiarelli. Not bad at all.

Agreed. Chia did good.

124. stephen sheps says:

line speculations for tomorrow?

4-29-44
    10-97-14 (I hope)
    Maroon-51-Cracknell
    23-55-26/28
    2-5
    88-27
    25-Pardy?

If nothing else, that’s a much meaner lineup. I can’t say for certain if it’s good, but it’s definitely consistent with McLellan’s recent conversion to playing a more physical and tenacious game but there’s still a lot of skill in the lineup.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens when RNH and Klef come back.

BTW, just watched Chia’s media availability and he confirmed paper transactions for Nurse and LB, calling up Nikitin and Gazdic as well, which I think means they’ll stay on the farm but won’t be eligible for playoffs.

Busy housekeeping day today.

125. fifthcartel says:

Mark Spector
    @SportsnetSpec

Ok, that’s interesting.

I’m starting to like this.

126. Captain's Log says:

Regarding the Maroon deal, I like the player but can’t help thinking Chiarelli is trying very hard to ice the most expensive 3rd and 4th lines in the league.

Losing a 4th and Gernat for a physical player is an easy price to pay though. Anaheim fans seem disappointed to lose the player which is good to hear.

127. Snowman says:

G Money,

If Maroon is a 25-30 point player who is tough and big and can skate that’s a pretty good pickup for under $2M.

128. Captain's Log says:

Gordies Elbow:
    Out: Purcell, Schultz, Nilsson, Larsen, Gernat, 2016 4th (EDM)

In: Maroon, Pardy, Cracknell, 2016 3rd (PIT), 2016 3rd (MIN), 2016 5th (STL)

Pretty good weekend.

Don’t forget Niklas Lundstrom, the goalie prospect received from St. Louis in the Nilsson deal.

129. LoDog says:

So the Oilers on the hook for 1.5?

Bravo.

130. Oilspill says:

Maroon adds the size this team needs. You can have all the Yakapov speed in the world but that doesn’t cause opposing players to cough it up for fear. We tend to suck on dump and chase situations. Why? We dont have enough battle willing players that promote fear in opponents. Fear causes rushing rushing creates turnovers. Hopefully that creates more shots for the corsi crowd.

131. G Money says:

Snowman,

Yes, I like the deal more given that ANA is eating a quarter of his salary.

132. Ice Sage says:

delooper:
    Today we saw the tell-tale signs of a competent GM.

And it looks like Yakupov likely gets one more try playing with McDavid.

Buy low.That’s the way to do it.

Davidson… but he’s staying, thank Gord

133. ASkoreyko says:

Captain’s Log:

Again, Maroon’s 5×5 P/60 would of been fifth on the Oilers last year. This guy can actually play AND Chia got him on a discount.

Anyone not happy with this trade should calm down and actually look into the numbers here.

Plus Maroon has other elements to his game that can’t be quantified as easily. Seems like a win/win.

134. square_wheels says:

G Money,

That is a solid move by Chia. Now launch Korpse into the sun this summer.

Load the trebuchet !!!!

After digging in the WOWY and ANa holding 500K I think this is a win today with the ability for it to be a big win or a total loss, but not much of a loss if it doesn’t work out.

Good trade.

136. pocession charge says:

Oilspill:
    Maroon adds the size this team needs. You can have all the Yakapov speed in the worldbut that doesn’t cause opposing players to cough it up for fear. We tend to suck on dump and chase situations. Why? We dont have enough battle willing players that promote fear in opponents. Fear causes rushing rushing creates turnovers.

Yakupov actually isn’t a good measuring stick for a speedy player. He’s agile but not very fast.

137. raventalon40 says:

After all that talk about Pirri he only went for a 6th? I’m a bit surprised

138. Centre of attention says:

Woodguy:
    After digging in the WOWY and ANa holding 500K I think this is a win today with the ability for it tobe a big win or a total loss, but not much of a loss if it doesn’t work out.

Good trade.

Agreed. I panicked at first, but after doing research he can actually play hockey.

And at that price point? Its a steal.

139. John Chambers says:

ASkoreyko: Hah!

140. raventalon40 says:

pocession charge: Yakupov actually isn’t a good measuring stick for a speedy player.He’s agile but not very fast.

He’s fast, just his first step and lateral movement is not that great. He’s a north-south type. We should hire Erik Cole to coach him in skating that first step

141. JDï™ says:

Elliotte Friedman Verified account
    ‏@FriedgeHNIC

CAL is trading David Jones to MIN for Niklas Backstrom and a pick. Holdup was Backstrom NMC.

142. ASkoreyko says:

John Chambers: Well he’s playing under 12 mins a night and has 1 ES goal this year, so that’s not exactly “middle six” production.

If he was playing at his production rate from last season he would of cost a hell of a lot more than a 4th, Gernat with 25% salary retained.

Anaheim wouldn’t just give up a solid player for no reason, there is a risk to this trade for sure. You need to take risks to get good players for cheap and Chia did just that. You make a bet on the fact that he can regain his form from the previous 2 years.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

143. ChiliChunk says:

Missing the 2017 5th (VAN) for Larsen?

Gordies Elbow:
    Out: Purcell, Schultz, Nilsson, Larsen, Gernat, 2016 4th (EDM)

In: Maroon, Pardy, Cracknell, 2016 3rd (PIT), 2016 3rd (MIN), 2016 5th (STL)

Pretty good weekend.

144. Centre of attention says:

Over last 4 seasons, 5×5 points/60 minutes: (Maroon 1.73), (David Perron 1.70), (Ryan Kesler 1.31)

Just sayin’

145. JDï™ says:

ASkoreyko: Anaheim wouldn’t just give up a solid player for no reason, there is a risk to this trade for sure.

They have to sign Vatanen and Lindholm I believe, this summer, with an internal team cap.

So while we dream of compelting Murray to trade us Sami, Chiarelli goes for the other angle. Maybe that GMing thing is more difficult that some people believe it is?

Caramel Batman:
    Norman Greenbaum,

Well Reinhart was terrible, and everything else is fudging at the margins.

Sekera 1 LHD and Talbot 1G are fudging at the margins eh?

Ok then.

Filling out the roster with desired player types (larger men who can play with skill) on the cheap is fudging at the margins eh?

Ok then.

147. Snowman says:

All the trades this weekend combined with the very good Davidson contract adds up to a very good weekend for Chia.

148. square_wheels says:

Vancouver is so fucked next year, and it couldn’t have happened to a better team.

Burrows for how many more years ?

149. Wolfpack says:

Maroon is one of those players that I have watched and thought “Man, the Oilers could use a guy like that”. So is the thinking that Anaheim needed to clear salary to sign some of their RFA’s? Because they didn’t do a whole lot to improve at the deadline, and Maroon is the type of guy that you want in the playoffs. He has played some of his best hockey in the playoffs if memory serves. Not sure I see why Anaheim made this move at this time. Why not wait for the summer?

150. JDï™ says:

Snowman: a very good weekend for Chia.

I’m Chia-ready!

151. square_wheels says:

Wolfpack,

Possibly making cap room for McGinn and Pirri

152. Professor Q says:

Ribs:

We have a club named the Chatham Maroons around here;

Ryan Jones used to play for them…

153. khildahl says:

Professor Q:

Ryan Hones used to play for them…

I’ll bet he had the sharpest skates…

154. Oddspell says:

Per Mark Spector

“Anaheim eats 25% of Maroon’s $2M cap hit for next 2 years. EDM on hook for $1.5M AAV. ”

155. frjohnk says:

Oddspell:
    Per Mark Spector

and in the small chance he does not work out. Only 600k to bury him. But I doubt that happens.

Great move Chia.

156. Caramel Batman says:

Anaheim retaining 25 % of the salary means they are taking on about 50 % of the risk, so that’s good.

We’ll see how it turns out.

157. AsiaOil says:

I was thinking about Maroon coming over in a deal for Vatanen the past few weeks to even up cap hits. He’s a Chia kind of player – and we certainly bought low – especially with ANA keeping 25% of the salary. I have no problems with the deal at all and it continues to make us bigger and more abrasive. We have more than enough finesse players and now have to surround them with skilled size. Like I said earlier today – Chia talks about heaviness and being hard to play against constantly so these types of moves will continue.

158. theres oil in virginia says:

JDï™: His numbers were probably inflated, playing with some guy named JF Jacques:

No doubt. He was first-liner in Edmonton. I hear he lit it on fire…well, something got lit on fire, I’m sure.

159. Магия 10 says:

square_wheels:
    G Money,

That is a solid move by Chia. Now launch Korpse into the sun this summer.

Load the trebuchet !!!!

CAP HIT
    2016-17 $2,500,000

BUYOUT CAP HIT
    2016-17 $500,000 save $2M
    2017-18 $1,000,000 lose $1M

160. misfit says:

It can’t be a coincidence that his offense dried up when they stopped playing him on the Getzlaff/Perry line.

He’s not a penalty killer, nor has he ever been more than a 2nd unit or lower option on the powerplay.

With that said, he’s always looked pretty good to me by eye, and his 2+ years as 15/10’s running mate suggests he can at least hang on a skill line a little. And at $1.5M for the next 2 years, even if he can’t, he gives you size in the bottom 6.

And for the next little while, we have a big body replacement for Pouliot on the left side.

A 4th round pick (Gernat was on borrowed time as it was) is more than reasonable price to pay.

161. blainer says:

This maroon trade reminds a little of the Hendy trade.

A lot of folks here did not like Hendy’s contract but I was very happy about the trade. Although most seem to like this deal..To me hendy has been a very important piece to this team. So much so chia didn’t want to trade him.

I think this Maroon trade is gonna work out just fine. I also really like this player.

This team just became a LOT harder to play against.. Thank Gord.

162. Professor Q says:

khildahl: I’ll bet he had the sharpest skates…

You know, I did mean to correct that, but I passed out soon after and then forgot about it, haha. Returned to the page to see this. Well played!

« Older Comments