AS COLD AS THE CLAY

If it weren’t for bad luck, the Oilers would have no luck at all when it comes to injuries. Last night, Brandon Davidson went down for the second time this season and it does not look good for his return in 2015-16. I am out of swears, so you will have to continue on without me.

STREETS OF LAREDO, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2014: 4-5-1
  • Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0
  • Oilers in November 2014: 2-9-3
  • Oilers in November 2015: 4-7-2
  • Oilers in December 2014: 2-8-4
  • Oilers in December 2015: 7-6-1
  • Oilers in January 2015: 5-7-1
  • Oilers in January 2016: 4-5-2
  • Oilers in February 2015: 5-6-1
  • Oilers in February 2016: 4-8-2
  • Oilers in March 2015: 5-6-3
  • Oilers in March 2016: 3-1-0
  • Oilers after 68 in 2014-15: 18-39-11, 47 points (-77 GD)
  • Oilers after 68 in 2015-16: 26-35-7, 59 points (-34 GD)

A good night for McLellan’s Oilers, they are within three points of the Eakins-MacT-Nelson peace train of one year ago (the 2015-16 Edmonites have already won two more games than a year ago). The key last night was Cam Talbot, who is rising up the SP standings. He is .919 overall (No. 14) and .921 at evens (No. 26) this season—among goalies with 25 or more games.

DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT

oilers blue nov 30

• Nurse-Pardy looked reasonable to my eye, Nurse played big minutes at evens and made some nice plays. I have not seen a lot of encouraging signs from Darnell in the last 25 games, but was heartened by his decision-making in this game. I also love the fact he is out there in a game like that, because Nurse isn’t going to take crap from anyone.
  • Pardy is inconsistent early in his Oilers career but I liked his size and strength. Puck moving is going to be an issue but he has some nice things. He played more than expected because of the Davidson injury and for me he was adequate.
  • Clendening looked good with Nurse, but I am constantly shifting on my couch trying to will him to win races—and that usually means there is a speed issue (my couch agrees). Can’t have that, not in today’s game. He did pick up an assist.
  • Sekera—Fayne had good and bad last night. I did like their decisions in the neutral zone overall, both men checked up and foiled sorties early. Fayne made at least a couple mistakes with the puck on his stick, Sekera made several impressive plays with the puck, maybe a little shy in coverage. I like this pairing. Sekera grabbed his 24th point of the season.
  • Brandon Davidson got hurt and I expect he is gone for the year. I enjoyed his rookie season enormously and hope he will be 100 percent in the fall. The Hockey Gods owe him that much.

CENTERS LAST NIGHT

oil c nov 30

• Connor McDavid was 57 percent on the dot, had five shots and was generally dangerous (especially on a nifty pass early from Nail Yakupov). He got hammered by Bufuglien once or twice. He also had a third assist (not awarded) on the winning goal. I thought that line needed a shakeup, would not have chosen Korpikoski for the fresh blood. McLellan: We were in a tight game and I thought that line was giving up far too many opportunities against, and Korpi was playing hard on the walls-this team pinches a lot, they do some heavy board work- and Korpi was real strong on the boards, so it was more a defensive maneuver on our behalf.”
  • Anton Lander had a fine game by my eye, really thought he was in good spots and pushing for some offense (rare for him this year). He appears slower, wonder about an injury.
  • Leon Draisaitl had an assist and did good work to my eye, the line skated miles and had lots of effort. Such a good passer, he had two HD SC.
  • Mark Letestu was 62 percent on the dot, but his 10 minutes at evens was about chasing and getting the puck out for a shift change. This line, no matter who plays on it, does not deliver the required benefit.

INDIVIDUAL HIGH-DANGER SCORING CHANCES

• Two: Nail Yakupov, Patrick Maroon, Leon Draisaitl
  • One: Connor McDavid, Jordan Eberle, Adam Pardy, Adam Cracknell, Anton Lander, Taylor Hall, Lauri Korpikoski

WINGERS, LAST NIGHT

oilers f nov 30

• Jordan Eberle had a quiet game overall, while Lauri Korpikoski was full event on the night. The Finn scored again, he seems to do it in bunches, and I thought he was in the play more. Had one of his better nights on the season, but it still an adventure. As mentioned above, he was elevated to the top line when McLellan decided the game was winnable.
  • Matt Hendricks and Adam Cracknell were part of the Lander line, they cycled well and did some nice things. Cracknell had an interesting scoring chance early, when he drove to the net by coming out from behind it, surprising everyone—including, possibly, himself! Hendricks is not a fast train, but he can get to the point very well on PK and evens.
  • Hall—Maroon are making beautiful music together, the Leon line has new energy with the big man on RW. Who can explain chemistry? One thing is clear: Maroon learned from playing with Getzlaf and Perry, and sweet Jesus he goes to the net like a bandit. Hall, like McDavid, was getting crunched left and right.
  • Yakupov—Kassian spent some time together, I did not notice Kassian much. He seems to have trouble being consistent from game to game. Conditioning? Linemates? He should have had a bigger impact in such a physical game. I thought Nail had some good and bad moments. His pass to McDavid was money, and he had two high-danger scoring chances. On the other hand, his rambunctious style is matched by a lack of awareness and the coach made a move in order to ensure victory. This has been happening since the dawn of time, and tells you that Nail is too much of an adventure for McLellan when the game is on the line. A bad sign. That ‘big things’ quote was a double-edged sword, I said it at the time.

I am heartened to see Fayne getting some love, for me he has had a good season. That said, Todd McLellan likes mobile, aggressive types and Fayne was in the minors earlier this year. If his cap hit was lower, a third-pairing job would be ideal. Edmonton’s top 4D is likely to be a mobile bunch next year, we will see. I have zero problem with Fayne as a top 6D next season, he has proven he can play well with Sekera. Fayne is durable too, something the Oilers have to keep in mind.

BLUE BAYOU

hamilton capture

We are basically in off-season mode now, so I am going to being casting about looking at different (possible) solutions. Today, I wanted to focus on three players:

INCOMING D

In terms of qual comp, BTN suggests Dougie Hamilton faces second-pairing opposition, while Hamonic and Demers are facing top opposition. Demers is an interesting option in that he can do multiple things and is right-handed. He plays those minutes without the help of a bona fide top partner and the without Oduya spike is astounding. Hamonic is also impressive in the wowys although he does have a more substantial partner. Hamilton was dragging around Kris Russell all year, so may be available for less than 100 cents on the dollar.

From this group, I would be pretty damned happy with Hamonic or Demers, thrilled with both. Chiarelli clearly had interest in Hamilton last summer, wonder if there is a deal to be made after an uneven season for Hamilton in Calgary. I am uncertain Hamonic will be traded, Demers might be the best target available. Thoughts?

REPLACING DAVIDSON

Lots of verbal on the blog last night about Griffin Reinhart being the logical choice for callup, and while that may be, I don’t see it as a 100 percent lock. Edmonton management sent him down to be more aggressive in his play, and that may be more important to the organization than the final 15 games of the year.

• D Jordan Oesterle. Looked quite good in his recent recall, of course he played a lot with Brandon Davidson. Oesterle is a fast train but does have gaps in his defensive game. I wrote about him for the RE series here
  • D Griffin Reinhart. He has been up twice now, played in 15 games and is 0-1-1. That is about the range expected in my RE (27 games). He did play RH side at times during his Oil Kings days, mostly on the power play.
  • D David Musil. Musil’s NHL audition a year ago was solid, wonder if they will give him a look in the final moments of the season. Waiver eligible in the fall. Touched on the subject of Musil during RE series here.
  • D Brad Hunt. I would think we have seem enough to know (Hunt has played in 21 NHL games now), but management has him available so it is possible.
  • D Joey Laleggia. Unlikely recall, as this is his rookie pro season. He will likely take over from Hunt as the primary power-play quarterback in Bakersfield next season, and we might see him in the NHL during the 2016-17 season if things go well.
  • D Dillon Simpson. Steady defender doesn’t get a lot of mention, difficult to know what the organization thinks of him at this time. This is year two of his pro career, no one I know has mentioned him as a possible recall.

hoffs3

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Scott Burnside, ESPN. Anaheim Ducks on fire, Patrick Maroon a trade deadline gem.
  • Jeff Hauser, Radio Hauser. Payton Manning calls it a day, we reflect on a great NFL career.
  • Sunil Agnihotri, Copper and Blue, The SuperFan. Easy entries, demoting Nail, Bruinizing the roster.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide twitter and we will have Davidson news when it breaks.

137 Responses to "AS COLD AS THE CLAY"

1. jonrmcleod says:

@TheOilersRig: The Oilers Rig is happy to announce the signing of prized free agents @CodexRex @WheatNOil and @romanmaximus1 #DreamTeam

2. frjohnk says:

I just watched that GIF of Griff. He has done that numerous times in the NHL but has not cashed yet. He might deliver more offense that we believe.

3. frjohnk says:

jonrmcleod:

nice.

jonrmcleod:

Oilers Rig is loading UP! Fantastic news!

frjohnk:
    I just watched that GIF of Griff.He has done that numerous times in the NHL but has not cashed yet.He might deliver more offense that we believe.

He had that gear in junior, hopefully it will translate.

6. dustrock says:

The fact that .921 sv %age at evens is 26th in the NHL says everything about today’s NHL.

Booooooooooooooooooooring.

7. G Money says:

jonrmcleod:

Awesome!

8. TemujinBC says:

I recall tweeting about how the one thing the Oilers need is a Davidson injury (this was back when he went down for the first time).

Now he’s probably done for the season, and that same tweet is just as appropriate :-/

The Edmonton Oilers cannot have nice things!

9. Ducey says:

Does Oesterle have the clear waivers next year?

10. Bruce McCurdy says:

jonrmcleod:

Outstanding news for the Oilers Rig which was already a substantial blog even before the addition of these three worthies. Congrats to all involved.

11. Bruce McCurdy says:

TemujinBC:

Now he’s probably done for the season, and that same tweet is just as appropriate:-/

The Edmonton Oilers cannot have nice things!

If you told me rght now his season is done but he will be ready for camp I’d take it. Very concerned about how serious that injury might be.

Fucking Buff. Of all people.

12. Bruce McCurdy says:

dustrock:

Booooooooooooooooooooring.

I had the exact same thought.

13. kinger_OIL says:

– There are two positives from Davidson going down:
    1) They get to evaluate Griff or Musil down the stretch, (and ideally increase their “value”)
    2) OIL won’t be able to get away with just 1 D acquired, and pencil in Davidson as top-4. He’s now a question mark (note I’m assuming he needs a knee operation)

– hopefully Klef comes back soon so the call-up gets paired with a decent D

14. RexLibris says:

Thanks all, looking forward to working with Oilers fans!

Re: Hamilton

I just don’t see Burke or Treliving making a move there unless we’re giving them the big RW they are hoping to get in the draft.

Hamilton is perceived as part of the solution right now, I feel, rather than a part to be sent away – and most certainly not sent away to a provincial rival.

Perhaps if you offered Eberle you’d get their attention, but we all know what Burke is like in trades so I suspect Chiarelli will be best served by shopping around Hamonic and Demers.

15. TemujinBC says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Yeah, there’s no playoffs this season and I’d much rather he take 6 months to get 100% healthy, no reason to rush him back.

If it’s an ACL though… #Yergh that’s the stuff of career-enders.

It would be keeping with the general theme of things around Oilerville.

16. Магия 10 says:

TemujinBC: The Edmonton Oilers cannot have nice things!

There’s a strict lending policy involved here. The Oilers can only borrow good thing for short periods. Trouble they can borrow forever.

17. kinger_OIL says:

RexLibris,

– Good for you Rex! Lowetide is to blogs what the Montreal Expos were to MLB: amazing training ground that develops excellent players that move on, get paid obscene amounts elsewhere.

– And I agree: what we would “like” ie Hamilton, isn’t grounded in reality

18. 719 says:

Amazing goaltending is keeping this team afloat.

Hall, Drai, Yak and Ebs too often try to do a fly by stick check in the neutral zone. When it works (not often) it can lead to a odd man numbered rush. Yesterday it didn’t work at all, Myers in particular would just skate right through them and take possession into the zone.

Team defence really has to improve if this team will win, this team cannot outscore its mistakes.

19. G Money says:

*** SPAM WARNING ***

Speaking of blogging, my first article has gone live on BLH this morning:

Wherein I investigate and eventually conclude that Leon D’s recent struggles probably are not fatigue related.

20. frjohnk says:

RE: those 3 Dmen

-Demers seems to fall into the Petry/Sekera grouping. A good number 3 Dman who in UFA will get $5.25M-$6M. Surprised that Dallas has not tried to sign him. Demers just costs money. We would have to overpay in AAV to get him.

-Hamilton probably has the best offense from that group but is lacking defense. I doubt Oilers and Flames make a big trade with each other.

-Hamonic. I think if Trouba’s contract demands become more realistic, I think a Hamonic for Trouba trade becomes more realistic. But we know that Chia will be continually knocking on Snows door for Hamonic.

We could use two of these 3 guys.

21. frjohnk says:

G Money:
    *** SPAM WARNING ***

Speaking of blogging, my first article has gone live on BLH this morning:

Somebody, I think maybe Rishaug about 2 weeks ago said that Draisaitl was quite sick and I remember him saying that LD was “hacking up a lung”

I’m working a RHD target post for the Oilers and Demers comes out ahead of Hamonic in the “all around Dman” thing.

He’s pretty damn good and if he gets to FA he doesn’t cost an asset to get.

I wonder what McLellan’s thoughts are on him and the trade Wilson made of him for Dillon who’s been 3d pair in SJS

23. Shane says:

frjohnk,

Mono?

24. DRFNsuperstar says:

Hamonic is obviously first choice for D upgrades this summer, but for the perceived cost (most people on here saying Nurse) there is a lot of risk there.

Pros:
    -1st pairing shutdown guy
    -plays top comp
    -great cap hit!
    -right handed

Cons:
    -offence is average
    -doesn’t play power play
    -unknown how his off ice issues will affect play next few years

If the team is going to break the bank for Dman this summer it would be nice if the guy could run a 1st unit PP. the oilers could have won at least 7 more games this year if their power play was in the league top 10 (should be attainable with the forward talent). The obvious needs on the power play are a right handed Dman and a right handed forward with a bomb of a shot, see Washington:

Ovie Backstrom
    Carlson

Oilers Currently:

Eberle Mcdavid
    Sekera

The Dman acquired this summer needs to be a power play stud, that’s either Hamilton or Vatanen, maybe Demers. Not Hamonic, unless you’re getting two guys this summer.

Stamkos Mcdavid
    Vatanen
    🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

The jets had some really good shots on the PP last night, but they miss Little big time!

scheifele Perrault/ Little
    Buff

25. frjohnk says:

G Money:
    *** SPAM WARNING ***

Speaking of blogging, my first article has gone live on BLH this morning:

Just read the blog. I think all of injury, sickness, the grind of playing a full year in the NHL, RNH’s injury, have affected Draisaitl in the last month. I also wonder because Hall is the major river pusher on that line if he is not hurt somewhat as well.

26. frjohnk says:

Shane:
    frjohnk,

Mono?

More like Klefbomitis

27. jm363561 says:

Amazing goaltending is keeping this team afloat.
    =====

Am I the only one wondering how Team Eakins would have done with Talbot (plus McD, minus Nikitin and Ference) in the ranks? The 12 point improvement to date seems to be more than covered by improved goal tending.

28. Shane says:

frjohnk,

HIS LEG IS FALLING OFF??!! 😮

G Money:
    *** SPAM WARNING ***

Speaking of blogging, my first article has gone live on BLH this morning:

30. kinger_OIL says:

DRFNsuperstar,

– Great post: What are Harmonic’s “off-ice issues”?

31. Cobbler says:

jm363561,

From LT’s blog yesterday

5×5 Corsi For Percentage is 49.0, last year it was 48.1
    •5×5 save percentage is .9157, last year it was .9019
    •5×5 goals for per 60 is 2.03, last year it was 1.93
    •5×5 goals against per 60 is 2.55, last year it was 2.91

It would seem that better goaltending is a big reason, but the goals for is up and the goals against is down. That must be contributing to some of these wins. Lots of 1 goal games this year.

32. John Chambers says:

jm363561:
    Amazing goaltending is keeping this team afloat.
    =====

It’s not unreasonable to ask what Eakins could’ve done with better goaltending and a less inept roster.

But again and again last year’s team would surrender goals early and would appear to make the game close on the shot clock due to score effects. Fact was though that Eakins’ team was rarely competitive for the duration of s game, while TMac’s team is competitive almost every game.

frjohnk,

We would have to overpay in AAV to get him.

I read a thing by Steve Burtch that showed teams overpaid their own impending UFA’s compared to what they got on the open market.

I’ll try to dig it up.

Chia didn’t overpay Sekera and he was the #1 Dman last summer, so we can’t assume that Demers comes only with an overpay.

34. B S says:

It’s funny, watching the game it looked to me like Yak was the most defensively responsible of his line. he was doggedly checking his man and covering the passing lanes on opposing zone entries. Eberle was disappointing both in his own zone and the O-zone last night. I would have moved Yak to right wing and dumped Eberle for Korpikoski. I say this as someone whose only Oilers paraphernalia has Eberle on it and might be on of two commenters on this site who wouldn’t trade Ebs for Hamonic straight up.

35. DRFNsuperstar says:

kinger_OIL,

Maybe a little strong worded to call them issues, but I meant whatever personal reasons he has for requesting a trade to Western Canada. I hate to assume, but a guess would be a family illness. What would then stop him from saying “I can’t go on this road trip for xyz reason”. The nice cap hit probably out ways this issues though

Ducey:
    Does Oesterle have the clear waivers next year?

No. He’ll only be 24 and this is the end of his 2 year ELC.

He has one year left.

I’m 93.4% sure on this.

37. Reasonableness says:

DRFNsuperstar,

As far as I know, his father passed when he was 10 and he wants to be closer to his family than is possible in NY.

38. DRFNsuperstar says:

Andrew Miller was just loaned (not traded) to Charlotte for Zach Boychuck. How strange.

39. Centre of attention says:

Talbot named first star of the week 😀

40. russ99 says:

Now that Davidson is out, I really hope they don’t rush Klefbom back, especially since we’re getting a steady diet of tough hard-checking West teams the rest of the way.

We need both back healthy next fall.

Pat Maroon is a fantastic example of how we need to fix the forward balance in order to get to multiple playoff round nirvana. I’d like the others to be a bit more two-way, though.

Should be an interesting summer.

41. jimmers2 says:

DRFNsuperstar:

Boychuk apparently has a one year two-way contract with the Hurricanes. I wonder if this is a back door way to bring in someone to the Oiler’s NHL squad. Can they call up a loaned player? One imagines that Boychuck cleared waivers already this year.

42. JDï™ says:

Centre of attention:
    Talbot named first star of the week

At least the NHL can get something right.

Maybe their monthly star committee can look into officiating?

43. cc says:

RexLibris,

Rex,

I agree that the Flames are likely not going to move Hamilton. Do you think they move Wideman?

With the Flames needing to sign Gaudreau & Monahan to sign.
    With no goalie under contract. They might want to move Wideman.

If your the Oiler’s do you offer Fayne for Wideman? Would the Flames take it? (save’s nearly 2 million but has the extra year on the contract)

This would be PART B for fixing the D. The Oilers would likely acquire another Dman such as Hamonic/Demers. But those two lack offense. Wideman by my eye is essentially a 4/5 D-man / PP specialist. But would be interested in your thoughts on it as I’m sure you’ve seen know more about the Flames than myself. While he might not be the perfect option, he might make sense for a season.

44. Klima's_Bucket says:

cc: If your the Oiler’s do you offer Fayne for Wideman?

The officiating is horrific in regards to the Oilers.
    Now imagine the officiating with Dennis Wideman in an Oilers uniform.

Pass.

45. russ99 says:

cc:
    RexLibris,

This would be PART B for fixing the D.The Oilers would likely acquire another Dman such as Hamonic/Demers.But those two lack offense.Wideman by my eye is essentially a 4/5 D-man / PP specialist.But would be interested in your thoughts on it as I’m sure you’ve seen know more about the Flames than myself.While he might not be the perfect option, he might make sense for a season.

We have enough offense on D: Sekera, Klefbom, Nurse, along with Hamonic’s point shot – if we get him. We need better defense, especially from the right side.

MacT’s unrealistic ideal of a D-corps made up of all puck movers needs to go away if we’re to win.

46. leadfarmer says:

Surprised the stars havent signed Goligoski or Demers. I know they have some young guys bubbling under but that is pretty significant roster turnover when they both walk.

47. vinotintazo says:

I’d Trade Koprse for Wideman (50% retained).

48. leadfarmer says:

Wideman almost broke negative a hundred in the HDSC battle last year and hovers around 13 HDSCA per 60. We need a guy to help some of our youngsters grown not someone that needs their easy minutes

49. JDï™ says:

cc: Do you think they move Wideman?

They’ll have to bury him in Yucca mountain.

50. Bruce McCurdy says:

kinger_OIL:
    – There are two positives from Davidson going down:

2) OIL won’t be able to get away with just 1 D acquired, and pencil in Davidson as top-4.He’s now a question mark (note I’m assuming he needs a knee operation)

How in the living hell is that a positive? That’s just messed.

51. GCW_69 says:

dustrock:

Booooooooooooooooooooring.

^ This!!!!!

52. GCW_69 says:

From the end of the other thread. Wondering if anyone else had the same observations.

The oilers have to be the kings of wasting possession in the offensive zone. They have developed two disturbing habits under TMac:

1) Have the puck down low with a winger then skate it up the boards away from the opposition net when they are in deep and turning it over at the opposition blue line. Hall is the master at this play. Teams now see the Oilers wingers heading back against that wall with their backs to the opposition net and know they really aren’t a threat and so attack very aggressively creating a turnover. It’s brutal. At least some times they have to bull towards the net to keep the defenders honest or this will be a dead play every time.

2) Cycle the puck around low, then start skating the wrong direction again, pass the puck to the Oilers defenceman at the blue line who then fires a weak shot into a crowd half way between the defender and the net creating nothing but a break out for the opposition. Maybe pass the puck to the other defenceman for a one timer or across to that defender who should move it to the other half wall area for a forward to take a shot. Do something rather than waste the possession.

Seriously. The point of hockey is to get the puck to the net. Don’t do the defenders work for them. It’s brutal.

If every member of the Oilers doesn’t make learning how to properly execute a one timer a priority in practice and again over the summer, this team will continue to have a pop gun offense. I would love to see some stats on this but I would bet the Oilers are at the bottom of the league in one timer shots.

53. DRFNsuperstar says:

leadfarmer:
    Surprised the stars havent signed Goligoski or Demers.I know they have some young guys bubbling under but that is pretty significant roster turnover when they both walk.

Add Russell to that…they paid a kings ransom for him, he probably gets signed so they didn’t spend it on a rental.

54. Professor Q says:

I think Zach Boychuk could be an interesting addition to help out with the Condors going into the future; and, well, hopefully he impresses Edmonton enough for a big-league contract as well!

55. Professor Q says:

jimmers2: Boychuk apparently has a one year two-way contract with the Hurricanes.I wonder if this is a back door way to bring in someone to the Oiler’s NHL squad.Can they call up a loanedplayer?One imagines that Boychuck cleared waivers already this year.

Same as when Edmonton loaned Rob Schremp to Wilkes-Barre-Scranton.

56. Barcs says:

Speaking of Demers, does anyone have any insight into why the Stars (a team who need help on D) aren’t bothering to re-sign a no. 3/4 D-man and are instead using ~10 million on a goalie tandem?

I’d love to have Demers, but that has never made sense to me.

Edit: What Leadfarmer said.

57. DRFNsuperstar says:

Now condors called up Pageau, next I’d guess Musil gets a flight to Edmonton.

58. Professor Q says:

Woodguy: I’m sad that you didn’t have the first part of DrySaddle’s season up as “Draisaitl – His sails unfurled”

Perhaps if you’d have canvassed that title earlier…?

59. Barcs says:

Professor Q: They can’t call up a loaned player. His rights belong to Carolina for the rest of the season.

Same as when Edmonton loaned Rob Schremp to Wilkes-Barre-Scranton.

No, but I believe the two teams can still trade Miller for Boychuck if they want to. It’s just that neither player would be eligible for NHL playoffs, unless I’m mistaken. So in that sense this loan may be a bit of an audition for both clubs to get a closer look at the players.

60. DRFNsuperstar says:

Professor Q,

Does the NHL trade deadline apply to the AHL? Maybe this is a loan instead of trade to allow Boychuck to play for the condors in the playoffs?

61. Halfwise says:

DRFNsuperstar:

I would bet that this is for Yak2’s benefit in some way.

62. kinger_OIL says:

Bruce McCurdy: How inthe living hell is that a positive? That’s just messed.

– Folly would be acquiring one more D in the off-season, and hoping that:
    Klef-New Guy
    Sekera-Davidson

Is good enough for the top 4 to be a playoff team next year. That’s just hoping way too much

– With Davidson out, recovery uncertain, it really magnifies the importance of getting 2 more D.

– I hope Davidson proves to be top-4, but don’t be all in, after 50 games. Now for sure they can’t go into to next year with Davidson pencilled into top-4: they need 2 bona-fides

– It also probably means that Nurse is safe this off-season.

63. Professor Q says:

DRFNsuperstar,

The AHL trade/loan deadline is one week after the NHL trade deadline, but I think that’s for formal trades of AHL contracts (so they wouldn’t interfere with NHL affairs anyway) and loaning of NHL contracted players playing in the AHL.

I suppose loaning the players could be an agreement of sorts to bypass that and get an extended look at the players before Free Agency (as they’re both on expiring contracts this year).

Maybe the agreement was decided upon post-NHL deadline for some reason?

64. RexLibris says:

cc:
    RexLibris,

Rex,

With the Flames needing to sign Gaudreau & Monahan to sign.
    With no goalie under contract.They might want to move Wideman.

If your the Oiler’s do you offer Fayne for Wideman?Would the Flames take it?(save’s nearly 2 million but has the extra year on the contract)

I wouldn’t move Wideman for Fayne if only because Wideman’s contract relative to performance (outside of last year) is terrible compared to Fayne. Fayne could be traded at next year’s deadline at the drop of a hat, with some salary retained.

Wideman is a larger cap hit ($5 million, iirc) and has a full NMC which means he has to waive to go and could make it tricky if he only wants to go to select teams (see; Hamhuis, Dan).

There is virtually no reason I would choose to have Wideman on the Oilers’ D next season because I believe that his skills are limited, diminishing and far too overpriced. I’d much prefer to use that money on Demers.

The Flames were rumoured to have a deal waiting in the wings with Boston, dependent on Wideman’s waiving, when he went ape on the linesman. That essentially scuttled the deal and now it is expected that he’ll be shopped this summer as the Flames try to unburden some cap space to make room for Monahan, Gaudreau, et al.

65. RJ2016 says:

“I did not notice Kassian much. He seems to have trouble being consistent from game to game. Conditioning? Linemates? He should have had a bigger impact in such a physical game.”

That’s been the criticism of Kassian in Buffalo and Vancouver. When he’s on, he plays very well. When he’s not, you don’t notice him. After a while, the games where he’s on are greatly outnumbered by the games where he’s not.

66. RexLibris says:

DRFNsuperstar:
    Professor Q,

It is a loan.

And technically the Oilers could trade Yakupov for Patrick Kane today, but Yakupov wouldn’t be eligible to play in the playoffs, as I understand it.

Also that would be a stupid trade.

67. Bar_Qu says:

Two things:

1 – I don’t know that anyone is getting paid this summer. Many teams are up against the cap before UFA season begins. I think Demers might be cheaper than we think.

2 – the Yak demotion was argued by WG on twitter to be a function on 97s inattention to the D zone and not as much about Yak’so mistakes. Regardless, it is a damping indication of the coach’so perception of his ability to help.

68. Centre of attention says:

Klefbom skating in full gear. Jubilation!

69. dustrock says:

G Money,

I like the article on Draisaitl.

Is there some way to account for strength of schedule? I honestly haven’t really been following the Oilers as much since Klefbom and RNH have been out, so I don’t know if February was a bad month.

70. vinotintazo says:

Centre of attention,

progress… :’).

71. Norman Greenbaum says:

RexLibris: It is a loan.

Also that would be a stupid trade.

Yeah, Yak has so much potential, easily a 50, no, a 60 goal scorer if he just plays with the right players. Where as Kane’s ceiling is merely excellent. 😉

72. Norman Greenbaum says:

Centre of attention:
    Klefbom skating in full gear. Jubilation!

Annnnnnnnd cue freak training injury!

73. Nate780 says:

dustrock,

I enjoy watching a goalie make an amazing save just as much as i enjoy watching a player score a beauty goal. I don’t understand why everyone is so hell bent on raising scoring, all that says to me is you (general you) don’t appreciate every aspect of the game.

74. vinotintazo says:

anyone else notice that the Norm under Chia’s tenure is to announce something nice right after something horrible has happened?.

like…
    1) Connor Injured ->>>>> Ebs is back!!.
    2) Oilers on a horrible loosing streak ->>>>>> Ice district looking nice!!
    3) Nuge broken hand ->>>> Connor Skating full gear!!.
    4) Something horrible ->>>> Kbom working out!!.
    5) Something else horrible ->>>> Kbom skating with no contact gear!!.
    6) Davidson Injured ->>>> Kbom skating full gear!!.

im sure I missed like 10 others.

75. Norman Greenbaum says:

Nate780:
    dustrock,

I think the point is, some of these saves aren’t that amazing when the goalie + pads cover nearly 100% of the goal. Wind-milling your arm on a catch or flopping around like a fish on dry land after freezing the puck aren’t amazing saves. Unless you’re Ben Scrivens. I was amazed at every one of his saves.

In summary – more goals = good. Less goals = bad. I mean, the major complaint against soccer in NA is lack of scoring.

76. Nate780 says:

jm363561,

russ99,

enough offense on D????? aren’t we last in the league in points by D?

77. Oddspell says:

So now that Klef is skating with the team again, question for all of you:

Davidson out, Klefbom in. Net positive or negative?

I feel like a month ago the answer was obvious but these days I’m no longer so sure.

78. LadiesloveSmid says:

Oddspell,

Davidson has been so damn good lately, which just makes it hurt all the more. It couldn’t have just been Pardy on the receiving end there?

79. Nate780 says:

Norman Greenbaum,

I guess i have a different perspective being a goalie growing up. And no, I don’t believe flailing saves and fish out of water shit are good saves. Talbot never made any of those saves last night (as far as i could tell, missed half of it) but what I seen of him, I really enjoyed it.

80. Nate780 says:

Norman Greenbaum,

Comparing soccer to hockey is always going to be horrible. They can go a whole game with next to no shots on net, i could see the issue if that was the same in the NHL, but it’s not, not even close. Plus the contact and pace of the game. i really don’t understand why people try to compare soccer to hockey. may as well compare football to golf.

81. G Money says:

dustrock,

Thanks man!

I didn’t explicitly look at strength of schedule, but i did look at it prior to the start of the season, and the first 20 or so games was by a slight margin the hardest stretch of the season, and the last 20 games by a slight margin the easiest stretch.

Everything in between was pretty average.

So when looking at Feb (esp with it being a weak relative month for Drai), I wouldn’t expect there should be much of a bias induced by schedule factors.

82. Kepler62 says:

A player you may want to add to your list of RH targets – Michael Stone.

He’s 6’3”, 210 lbs, 25 years old, 2nd in points for Arizona Dmen, 2nd in TOI/G for Arizona Dmen – behind only Oliver Edman-Larsson for both. Plays top opposition at 46% OZS in a shutdown role.

His “Warrior” and “Hero” Charts have him solidly in the top4 range.

Rumour has it Arizona wants a LH D to play on the top pair with OEL — something the Oilers have lots of.

83. Snowman says:

kinger_OIL,

There is not a positive to be found in the fact that a potential top 4D, under reasonable contract who plays both sides and has a wide range of skills, suffered a severe injury that may or may not jeopardize his career.

Your argument that you can’t count on Davidson due to his lack of experience is irrelevant. He has 50 games now. If he had 65 games (basically a full season of consistent top 4 minutes) does that change Chia’s mind on what he is? Does it change Maclellan’s? No is the answer to both I think.

I don’t think it changes Chia’s plans at all this summer. I think he’s got his assessing out of the way (injury to Davidson or not) and will have a pretty clear idea about what the injury is and the likelihood of full recovery long before he goes out to fix the D. He already has his mind made up about who and how many D he would like to bring in I’m sure.

I think you’re wrong about it having an impact on Chia’s decision making and I find the idea that there is a positive to Davidson (a very bright spot and wonderful story) suffering any serious injury to be anything other than a negative in poor taste.

84. PhrankLee says:

dustrock,

G Money: Thanks man!
    Everything in between was pretty average.

This was out 4 days ago. I was optimistic we could pass Vancouver with their sched being one of the toughest to close out.

DRFNsuperstar:

Ovie BackstromCarlson

Oilers Currently:

EberleMcdavid Sekera

Stamkos Mcdavid Vatanen

scheifelePerrault/ LittleBuff

The worst use of salary cap space is to pay for a D who is mostly only good on the power play.

Klefbom can run a power play. He hasn’t in his career very much, because he has alway been the best defensive defensemen on any team he has been on by a significant margin, so other guys have gotten that role, because Oscar was needed to for the defensive assignments.

If one gets Hamonic or Demers to share the defensive load, then Klefbom can be used in an offensive role.

This does not mean, I don’t pursue Burns or Pieterangelo or Shattenkirk…but I’m not going to pursue an offensive only type.

San Jose has to make a decision on Burns this summer. They lack a first round draft pick, so they will likely make the decision by the draft whether they are going to offer him a big new contract on July 1.

86. russ99 says:

Nate780:
    jm363561,

russ99,

enough offense on D????? aren’t we last in the league in points by D?

We’re last in D scoring with a subpar group and a ton of injuries and were letting in too many goals with a good net minder.

Also, if we get Demers and Hamonic, they’d be 2nd and 3rd in scoring on our team, and Hamonic has a good point shot.

That said, I think all our defensmen need to focusing on shooting accuracy this offseason, as too many shots from outside miss the net.

Think how good Talbot could be if he didn’t have to bail out the defense all the time.

87. Professor Q says:

Nate780:
    Norman Greenbaum,

Association Football has the most athletic players, though.

You try running back and forth for 80 minutes while trying to keep strategy going and following a black and white ball.

88. rickithebear says:

cup calibre D is 10.50 or better no matter the comp.
    We see:
    Davidson 51gm 9.68 bot 2nd comp
    Pardy 4gm 9.92
    klefbom 30gm 10.12 top 25 comp
    Clandenning 9gm 10.32 4th comp

Fayne 11.90 top 15 comp
    Sekera 11.79 1st comp
    7.90 historically facing 2nd comp.

Demers 60gm 11.30 upr 2nd comp
    Hamonic 59gm 12.02 2nd comp
    OEL 65gm 10.59 upr 2nd comp

Positive/Negative?
    WTF?
    D who face the best and are
    1st pair results in Box protection; EVp production; PK GA
    -R. Ellis Benefits from #1 Box protection D Weber.
    – Klefbom who drives the results himself.

Yeah getting a healthy Klefbom means a whole F…….. Difference.

Getting KLefbom with a manageable 1st comp Box D.
    Moving Sekera-Fayne to 2nd comp D pair
    and Having Davidson Face 3rd comp with stronger 3rd comp.

would be a nice start to 16-17.

89. Nate780 says:

Professor Q,

that’s all fine and dandy, but it’s not even close to the same as hockey. And really, you’re only really running back in forth on half the field, and mostly just the people directly around the soccer ball. Everyone is just just kind of jogging around.

The comparison was goal scoring, but my example was enjoying good goalie performances. The goal scoring isn’t low in soccer because of good goalie performances. Just don’t think it’s a good comparison.

90. Nate780 says:

russ99,

I agree, our shot from the point is one of the most frustrating aspects of the Oilers game, for me anyways.

91. rickithebear says:

In the NFL there is on avg 6 second of play. and 30-40 sec of scheme structure.
    What does stand out is Defence who are repeatedly on the Field.
    there are an average # of plays a team should face.
    they die in the extended portion.

Made me think of Goalies.
    what are the result of goalies for the first 12-14 high/ medium scoring chance shots.
    versus
    the performance after the league average shots faced.

92. Norman Greenbaum says:

Nate780:
    Professor Q,

My major comparison was marketing. NA people like high scoring affairs. The term ‘nil-nil thriller’ was coined by the British press as a sarcastic swipe at a game that was dull in shots, saves and most importantly, goals.

I didn’t mean for the comparison to be so literal.

If this wasn’t a thing, then the BoG, GMs and the league wouldn’t be looking to reduce pad size.

93. DRFNsuperstar says:

godot10,

If you don’t want to spend cap on scoring D youre going to lose a lot of games. Nashville has consistently made the playoffs with their D as their top scorers, if they spent to the cap and got some impact forwards they could have gone deep (yes they got johansson now).

Klefbom is good but he has not even hit 100 games, you can’t say he will be the top PP option next year. Also, he is a lefty and that just isn’t going to work if Mcdavid is running things from the half wall on his off side.

Vatanen would be the perfect acquisition, a right handed, primary assist, scoring machine in a sea of left handed defensive Dmen. Throw him on the second pair with Davidson, let Klefbom and Sekera handle the toughes and you’re going to have a good time. Hell, maybe even grab Demers and put him with Sekera and let Klefbom play with Vatanen. Primary assists/ 60 show who the leagues offensive Dmen are.

94. 719 says:

Kepler62,

OEL is left handed

95. Water Fire says:

Barcs:

I’d love to have Demers, but that has never made sense to me.

Edit: What Leadfarmer said.

I mentioned Demers a while back and looked into the Stars cap situation at the time. I don’t see how they keep all the D and give raises.

Who knows how they view him, but he is the type of player that teams overlook, like Petry. Is he Weber? No, he doesn’t have the cache. But he’s an all game phase full tool belt D doing well at everything. Like Kelfbom 3 years older, and decent raise puts him mid 5’s which is decent.

Obviously McL knows him, and if he likes him and Dallas let’s him go I like the Oilers chances.

96. Pajamah says:

719:
    Kepler62,

OEL is left handed

Useless as tits on a bull.

97. kinger_OIL says:

Snowman,

– hate when posters take things out of context and misrepresent what I said.

Snow says: “I find the idea that there is a positive to Davidson suffering any serious injury to be anything other than a negative in poor taste”

Kinger said: “There are two positives from Davidson going down” And my two points had nothing to do with his injury, but the opportunity that his injury presents to the organization. So yes there are positives to be found. The rest of your speculation on Chia’s mind is just jibberish

Go troll someone else. If I had said: “I’m glad Davidson is injured”, or “this team is better off that Davidson is injured” fire away. I merely brought up too unintended, but positive potential outcomes as a result of his injury. And to make you feel better, I too am sad that he was injured.

Don’t misrepresent my comments and suggest that my comments are in poor taste: perhaps you are still bitter because I called Nurse right, and you were wrong?

98. CalVag says:

kinger_OIL:
    Snowman,

–hate when posters take things out of context and misrepresent what I said.

Snow says:“I find the idea that there is a positive to Davidsonsuffering any serious injury to be anything other than a negative in poor taste”

Kinger said: “There are two positives from Davidson going down”And my two points had nothing to do with his injury, but the opportunity that his injury presents to the organization. So yes there are positives to be found.The rest of your speculation on Chia’s mind is just jibberish

Go troll someone else.If I had said: “I’m glad Davidson is injured”, or “this team is better off that Davidson is injured”fire away.I merely brought up too unintended, but positive potential outcomes as a result of his injury.And to make you feel better, I too am sad that he was injured.

Kinger says: “I’m glad Davidson is injured”

How dare you??!? Have you no soul?

*ducks and runs*

99. Norman Greenbaum says:

I would just like to take a moment to mention that I fully forgive Ms. Sharapova, and should she still feel guilty, I suggest a two year sabbatical to Northern Alberta, specifically the Peace Region, bringing tennis to under-privileged mule deer. She can stay at mine. Please resume with normal sniping back and forward and insightful comments about hockey.

100. prairieschooner says:

Some of the humour on here really makes me luff

101. frjohnk says:

EDIT: ran it 20 times.
    Oilers got
    1st 4 times
    2nd 2 times
    3rd 1 time
    4th 11 times
    5th 2 times

102. who says:

Ran it once. Draft order was Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto. What a beautiful thing. No point in running it again.

103. frjohnk says:

who:

I just ran it 60 times, it is extremely rare for the Leafs, Oilers and Flames ( bottom 3 teams) to not have at least 1 of those teams picking in the top 3.

104. Fog of Warts says:

I think we’re in need of random humour today.

NewerTech’s ‘HDMI Headless Video Accelerator’ Keeps GPU Active for Better Performance With No Display

NewerTech today announced the launch of its HDMI Headless Video Accelerator, an adapter that’s designed to plug into the Mac mini’s HDMI display port to fool it into thinking there’s a display attached. With the adapter plugged in, the Mac mini’s GPU is activated and video drivers are loaded, resulting in smoother performance.

I want to upgrade my Lemon Tree’s circa 2008 iMac sometime soon, preferably with a Mac Mini and detached display, but the Mini has blown spongy, encephalopathic goats since late 2012 (quad core with user expandable DRAM).

[*] All out of swears, not quite out of livid metaphor.

Well, well, well. Apple thinks I’m going to upgrade an 7+-year-old dual core 4 GB iMac to a dual core Mac Mini with 8 GB of RAM soldered in with maybe a slightly better display for about as much as we originally paid—seven long years ago?

What’s left after that? OS X Niki Nikitin? We would certainly have that nice feet-of-clay gut sensation if we tried to run iMovie on the darn thing. News flash to Apple: the NHL is faster these days. Your clever 8-GB NMC simply doesn’t fly in the current marketplace.

For reference—wouldn’t buy it myself—today I found a branded “special offer” 4×8 GB DDR4 at Newegg.ca for $160. (May or may not accurately store data.) In my experience, craziest price you can find + 25% usually gets you something you can live with long term.

Long experience tells me that once you depart the product category that brought you there, bit by bit you’re incremented into something you never would have considered in the first place. I’ve had far better results over the years abandoning the upsell ratchet at the first sign of smoke.

Apple goat licker: “Yes, but you can just—”

Giant klaxon sounds. The mellifluous voice of God on a combination of speed and beta blockers echoes down from above.

“Congratulations! You have just uttered today’s bonus word, which entitles you to step through door #2.”

“Well, what are you waiting for? It’s an honour. Trust the deep soothing voice from above the curtains.”

———

Here’s the thing. “Just” is one of those words that in my experience somehow seems to keep on giving. Unless followed by “close your wallet.”

“Well you can just close your wallet and bugger off.”

Gold coin rains down from the sky.

Yes, precisely what I mean to do.

Thus ends today’s mediation on an overpriced fourth line.

105. commonfan14 says:

Norman Greenbaum: “Everyone is just kind of jogging around.” Really? Average midfielder runs, that’s RUNS (sorry about the lack of italics, I’m a wordpress idiot who’s too lazy to learn), 8km a game with perhaps 2km of jogging. Feel I got to stand up for my footy bros!

Marathoners also have to condition themselves to run a lot over an extended period. It’s very impressive, but marathons aren’t something I find entertaining to watch.

Just imagine if the NHL only allowed a couple of substitutions a game and most everyone was out there skating around for 60 minutes.

It’d arguable be a lot more impressive, but would anyone prefer to watch it?

106. Snowman says:

kinger_OIL,

I don’t think the difference between 50 games and 65 games for Davidson is going to have any impact at all on Chia’s decision making. If you think that extra 15 games would be the difference between finding a second top 4 d or not than I think you’re mistaken.

If he thinks Davidson is a top 4D after 50 games, unless he had a goddawful next 15 I don’t think they would change his mind. On the flip side if he thought Davidson is a third pair after 50 games I don’t think he would change his mind after 15 more. Chia already has his mind made up on what Davidson is and probably on what his plans are moving forward and I don’t think Davidson’s injury changes that. Only way Davidson’s knee impacts the summer plans is if his knee is trashed and he won’t be back for fall.

You may disagree with my logic there and if you do fair enough. You’re entitled to your opinion.

I’m not trolling. I found what you said to be in poor taste. I read it. I found it in poor taste. I told you I thought it was in poor taste. No trolling there. You might disagree that it was in poor taste but that doesn’t make it trolling. I didn’t call you a dumbass. Usually I find your comments insightful and productive. This particular one, not so much.

You said Davidson is now a question mark due to injury. I’d much rather he not be a question mark and be pissed at Chia for not acquiring the D this team needs.

107. fifthcartel says:

Demers seems like a great target for a FA defensemen.

Played under McLellan, can put up a decent amount of points and play on the PP a bit, right-handed. Positive corsi rel for most of his career and Dallas has Goligoski up this summer as well.

Klingberg is a RH shot and he’s likely the 1RD for the next while. Him and Goligoski play more 5 on 5 than Demers does. But he is signed to a cheap contract (4.25m) till 2022.

After that they’re really not paying anyone that much. Oduya at 3.75 for another year and unless they sign Russell they should easily be able to afford both of Goigoski and Demers, unfortunately.

108. Kitchener says:

On the topic of injuries, here’s Willie Pless talking injuries: http://www.resetcells.com/ (audio at bottom of the page; the video link says doodly squat)

I’m still ticked off that Klefbom lost time due to a wound that could have been easily beat with the stuff Willie’s talking about. Hopefully someone on the Oilers’ staff reads this blog and will listen to what Willie’s saying.

Willie also shares several stories likely not told before, including his most difficult games (injury) and when he knew it was time to hang ’em up.

109. Snowman says:

I also don’t understand the Soccer endurance thing… it’s not that impressive.

Average human walking speed is 3.1mph or 5km/h. If you walked for 90 minutes you’d be damn near 8 kms.

The average soccer player moves about walking speed for 90 minutes. Why am I supposed to find that impressive?

There are many impressive things about soccer but the endurance is not one of them.

110. Halfwise says:

prairieschooner:
    Some of the humour on here really makes me luff

There’s a “Sail on” pun to be made here somewhere.

111. kinger_OIL says:

Snowman,

I find what you wrote offensive and in poor taste. Just my opinion….

– And you miss the point, which is that 50 games or 65 games is not enough to pencil in a rookie into a top-4 position as a D, especially on one of the worst defensive teams in the NHL. It would be so Oil-like from OBC to field a top-4 of Klef-New guy, Davidson-Sekera: F$GLY: no playoffs for you. Now they won’t be able to pull the wool over their own eyes, let alone the fans for next year.

– After 44 games, many declared Marincin bona-fide: lots happens when developing D’s

– Give him the chance to earn a top-4 spot sure, but don’t think the problem is solved. Now with Davidson out, they can’t fall into the trap that they have 3 of 4 top-4 D already.

And what you wrote is just offensive

*I don’t actually think what you wrote is offensive, I’m merely illustrating that sharing ones opinion on the merits of a post is not constructive*

Did I mention how offensive your post is?

112. Oilspill says:

Do you think that 29 other teams don’t want the BEST D around. Something called salary cap and current contracts. Chia is doing well considering the shit show he inherited.

Snowman:
    kinger_OIL,

113. Norman Greenbaum says:

commonfan14: I’ve never understood why soccer fans bring up this endurance thing like it’s a positive about the sport.

It’d arguable be a lot more impressive, but would anyone prefer to watch it?

Spoken like a stereotypical North American! 🙂

Listen, it’s because YOU DON’T LIKE SOCCER. It’s ok not to. I don’t like baseball, but you know what? I still appreciate the skill set it requires to play at the highest level. For instance, I could say “I don’t get why baseball fans get excited about hitting a ball like it’s a positive thing. Kids playing tetherball in the school yard do it all the time.” But I won’t. The endurance and then the capacity to make plays, both strategic and tactical, whilst sucking dirty pond water through your arse is an intrinsic part of soccer. Of course it’s a bloody positive. 😉

Hockey has evolved along a different path, favouring explosive speed and strength and recovery over endurance.

You don’t have to get ‘it’, what ever the hell ‘it’ is. You don’t have to like it. Hell, I love to play darts and golf. Hate watching them, particularly darts. But you sure can appreciate the skill.

114. frjohnk says:

fifthcartel:
    Demers seems like a great target for a FA defensemen.

Klingberg is a RH shot andhe’s likely the 1RD for the next while. Him and Goligoski play more 5 on 5 than Demers does. But he is signed to a cheap contract (4.25m) till 2022.

I think a lot of people want Chia to land 2 top 4 Dmen ( I’m one of them) but market forces may make that tough.

If Dallas signs both Demers and Goligoski, while Snow and Chevy find a fit by trading Hamonic for Trouba, that will take some good D men out of play.

There is still the possibility of Vatanen/Lindholm, Shattenkirk, Burns, or shooting for the moon for that LEO guy, but we wouldn’t be the only ones sniffing around.

I think a realistic summer would be adding 1 top 4 Dman, and looking at Nurse, Davidson, Klefbom all having a good summer of training and being able to take a step forward for next fall.

Most would say that would probably not be good enough to helping the backend, and Id agree. But its something we have to prepare for.

115. Norman Greenbaum says:

Snowman,

See above!

116. Norman Greenbaum says:

Snowman,

I find this in extremely poor taste!

117. Younger Oil says:

Ran the lottery simulator 30 times.

Oilers only got a pick in the top 2 twice.

Calgary got a pick in the top 2 ten times.

I’d like to think I’ve used up all of Calgary’s good luck.

But just in case, I won’t watch the lottery results because I am clearly a curse to this team.

118. Snowman says:

kinger_OIL,

I don’t even know what you’re talking about anymore King..

I agree penciling Davidson into the top 4 next year would probably be a mistake. However, the point I was making is that if Chia has him penciled (incorrectly) in there today his injury isn’t going to change it. The injury is just bad. Doesn’t change Chia’s plans at this point in my opinion so I don’t see the potential positive you see.

The rest of your reply doesn’t make a lick of sense to me and there’s no point talking about this any further so lets just drop it.

119. Snowman says:

Norman Greenbaum,

Lol. My fiancee played soccer at university. I’ve watched lots of soccer. I even grew to like watching it.

They don’t run that much though. 8 kms over 90 minutes with a break in the middle is probably the least impressive thing about soccer but it’s the one that gets touted most often when talking about the greatness of pro soccer players and their athletic prowess. It just doesn’t make sense to me.

120. Norman Greenbaum says:

Snowman,

LOL, I’m doing it wrong!

121. delooper says:

Snowman:

Jogging for 90 minutes vs doing coordinated sprints for 90 minutes are two pretty different things. I’d start there.

122. Snowman says:

delooper: Jogging for 90 minutes vs doing coordinated sprints for 90 minutes are two pretty different things.I’d start there.

As I said, the cardio required for soccer is probably the least impressive part about soccer. Utmost respect for the skill of the game. Not that impressed by their cardio. You don’t even have to jog for 90 minutes to get 8kms in that time.

The ability to recover quickly from the anaerobic sprinting is impressive. The speed is impressive. The coordination while sprinting and controlling a ball with your feet is impressive. 8kms in 90 minutes with a break is not impressive.

123. Visually better says:

Calling all stalkers!!! Once in a lifetime opportunity, take nude photos of me in a hotel room and send them off in to cyberspace. May not be an Erin Andrews, but I’m willing to work with what I got.

Willing to split lawsuit right down the middle,

55 million dollars is the goal, however will settle for 20$ or more.

Apply within

124. rickithebear says:

202 d
    #200 nurse
    #199 Goligoski 13.66
    # 197 j schultz
    # 196 klinberg 13.23
    #195 gryba

Drew doughty:
    ” defence win championships”

No klingberg on sweden ??????!

125. Norman Greenbaum says:

Visually better:

Willing to split lawsuit right down the middle,

55 million dollars is the goal, however will settle for 20$ or more.

Apply within

Bro, do you even Craigslist?

126. Klima's_Bucket says:

rickithebear: 202 d
    #200 nurse
    #199 Goligoski 13.66
    # 197 j schultz
    # 196 klinberg 13.23
    #195 gryba
    Drew doughty:
    ” defence win championships”
    No klingberg on sweden ??????!

Excellent Point Mr. Bear!!

127. Centre of attention says:

If you guys look at the Oilers main page, in the “Oilers blog” side bar there is an article titled “Oilers Recall Rienhart” but its a broken link. Doesn’t look like they have done the transaction either.

Foreshadowing maybe?

128. Doug McLachlan says:

Demers is a great target. Just need $. Probably fits nicely on the second pair. 29 other teams probably interested – including Dallas – but still we should have the space. Current cap hit of $3.4M (remember that SJ is holding on to some retained salary) and a salary this year of $3.65 are we likely to get him for under $4.5M or is he expecting closer to $6M? Not sure who his comparables would be.

Hamonic is another great target – in part because of his great contract- but not sure we are the only suitor (WPG is most cited one but not sure why MIN isn’t in the discussion) nor do we have what Snow has clearly indicated is the ask – a young, inexpensive but skilled D. The price is going to be the challenge but all indication are that we are in the mix.

Don’t see Calgary parting with Hamilton. The locked him up on a value deal and were happy to do so – yes he had a rough start to the season but he hardly was alone in that amongst Flame defensemen this year.

Columbus’ cap situation next year is very, very tight. At over $65M already committed, they sit with a higher cap for next season than for this one – still needing to fill several positions. Is there a chance that the right package would spring Seth Jones free? Say, a package around what our first pick yields?

While more of a budget as opposed to cap question, should RFA Barrie or Erik Johnson ($6M cap hit) be a target for Chia? What would the price be?

129. Centre of attention says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 2m2 minutes ago
    The #Oilers have recalled d-man Griffin Reinhart from the @Condors.

i called it 5 mins before they tweeted it!

I have to much spare time…

130. Dr. Taboggan says:

Centre of attention,

Good call.

Makes you wonder what the plan is for Musil. You have to think they give him a look at some point before the end of the season considering his waiver status next year.

131. Centre of attention says:

Dr. Taboggan,

I know one thing for sure, Rienhart has an opportunity here. He best make the most of it.

He has to assert himself out there and prove he has a place in the future.

132. Water Fire says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Oddspell,

Staying healthy is a huge part of a long NHL career. Luck is of course the biggest part, but being smart is critical.

Hall has said he gets it but is still on his ass constantly. Jagr is the guy currently to emulate. Not his longevity but his sty. Smooth and efficient looking for space and chance instead of rookie attack everything all the time.

It’s about learning to pick spots based on the situation. Chess not checkers.

I hope Davidson is ok

133. Stelio Kontos says:

Dr. Taboggan:
    Centre of attention,

Good call.

I would say there is roughly a 0% chance he is claimed.

134. böök¡je says:

Blogging sounds like a tremendous amount of work and dedication.

I find its easier to just write one article and get the whole country to read it and then quit.

135. Kepler62 says:

719,

Never said he was RH – but he’s played right side in the past meaning they’d want a LH to play left side with him playing the right.