THE IDES OF MARCH

As we discussed this morning, the Edmonton Oilers are probably going to blow up some of this talent-rich roster over the summer. Through the next while, I think we should talk about possible destinations for some of these young phenoms—and possible return. Let’s start with Peter Chiarelli’s shopping list:

1. Top-pairing D to partner with Klefbom (Travis Hamonic)
  2. Second-pairing D to partner with Sekera (Sami Vatanen or Jason Demers)
  3. Third-line C if they trade Nuge (Nuge)
  4. Scoring winger if they trade Eberle (Laine)
  5. Offload unwanted contracts (Fayne, Korpikoski)
  6. Backup goalie (could also be a G who slots below Brossoit but has NHL experience)
  7. Re-stock the system (major needs in goal, scoring forwards)

So, as we begin looking at possible destinations, we should keep the list above in mind. We might also discuss the idea of trading for a LH defender if the value is there, and then finding a RH option via free agency (Demers being a strong possibility in a case of that kind).

Probably a good idea to start with this deal. If the Oilers offered Nuge for Seth Jones, and we don’t know if there were pieces added on each side, then maybe there is a chance for Edmonton to make a similar deal with the Blue Jackets. Fair? I mean, the Blue Jackets badly need a center, and the Nuge is a valuable piece of any future. Question: Would CBJ trade out Jones that quickly? My guess is no. Ryan Murray? A lefty. Would the Oilers run Brandon Davidson and Andrej Sekera on RH side?

• Klefbom—Sekera
  • Murray—Davidson
  • Nurse—Fayne

ST. LOUIS

If the Oilers trade the Nuge to St. Louis, I would think the deal could end up being mammoth. Edmonton might be interested in Alex Pietrangelo or Kevin Shattenkirk (I don’t think Shattenkirk would sign here long term). Would the Blues consider as part of a major shakeup? These two teams may both want to shuffle the deck this summer.

• Klefbom—Pietrangelo
  • Sekera—Fayne
  • Nurse—Davidson

NEW JERSEY

The Devils have like four forwards signed for next season, and the Nuge would be a very nice addition to a young and emerging group. Darcy McLeod’s piece the other day had Adam Larsson as a very valuable item.

• Klefbom—Larsson
  • Sekera—Fayne
  • Nurse—Davidson

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

I go back to my original point on this issue. No matter who we talk about in terms of leaving, we are likely approaching it backwards. The ask from the other side is the thing. If you look at Darcy’s list of attractive defenders, and then imagine the ask for each, it becomes fairly obvious that pretty much everyone is in play—with the critical point being the intersection of bona fide defenseman and acceptable pain—and the point at which Peter Chiarelli signs off on a deal. It could be one of these teams and it could be the Nuge. It seems as likely as Eberle, the draft pick or any number of combinations.

149 Responses to "THE IDES OF MARCH"

1. Bruce McCurdy says:

David Savard is a righty.

Crap. Woodguy got me!

3. Centre of attention says:

Your not helping with my anxiety, LT.

4. russ99 says:

We need to aim a lot higher than Larsson and Murray. Not to
    mention isn’t this bad revisionist history with our own picks?

Neither is top pairing and for that matter neither is Klefbom.

Sekera has earned that role until Klefbom stays healthy and plays a more complete game.

Chiarelli has a unique shot this summer to fix the gaping wound that is our defenseman corps and I hope he can do a lot better or next year could be another building year, what none of us want to see.

russ99:
    We need to aim a lot higher than Larsson and Murray. Not to
    mention isn’t this bad revisionist history with our own picks?

Neither is top pairing and for that matter neither is Klefbom.

I think Klefbom is the most likely top pairing blue on the roster currently.

6. Bad Seed says:

russ99,

He did aim higher – Pieterangelo. Not high enough for you? Name some names.

7. John2123 says:

Just reading through the tea leaves a bit, it was rumored Minnesota had made a pitch for Johansen involving Brodin and Neiderreiter (https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/47gh6m/wild_beat_writer_reports_that_minnesota_offered/). If Minny is still hunting for a center, I wonder if they kicked tires on Nuge at all before the deadline? Aside from Brodin being a left shot, his familiarity with Klefbom would be a plus.

8. sliderule says:

Nurse Davidson will be vaulting over that whole list.

The oilers don’t know how Klefbom will recover from injury and lost time so that is a problem pencilling him in as top pair.

Old coach tells me if Fayne is in top four forget about playoffs.

Draft Chychrun and within two years you will have a real top four D we keep begging for.

Bohologo:
    Trading one of the golden children would amount to a tremendous deal of acute pain.

Another losing season would amount to months of chronic pain.

I mean, we’re talking mental anguish here, that kind of pain. Plus any accompanying hang-overs.

But still.

Nuge is my favorite Oiler, has been since he arrived. I hope it isn’t him, but he is also the guy I would trade for in this group (assuming McDavid and Hall are verboten).

10. Walter Sobchak says:

How come the talk always revolves around one of the 6 million dollar and never around say Nurse?

Besides Cap issues, why is it palatable to trade a centre with Experience and not a rookie prospect?

Walter Sobchak:

Value mostly, Walter.

12. frjohnk says:

Woodguy

Posting this here, in case you don’t look at LT’s last post.

If we had a top 4 D core of

Klefbom
    Hamonic
    Sekera
    Davidson

how would they rank to other teams in your metrics?

Thanks

Posted this in the last thread for Padre John,

Thought it might have some value in this discussion:

You asked for where the LHD for the Oilers would land using my table of metrics (which is by no means complete or even proven useful at this point)

I had to expand the sample to 200 Dmen (from 188) so the TOI could include Davidson.

Remember that my tables only include RHD so I have no idea of their overall or total rank via the tables if it included LHD too.

Here’s what I got.

Total score:

Davidson 997 – near the top of 2-2.5 pairing Dmen, top of 3rd.

Klefbom 876 – around 10th for 1-1.5 pairing Dmen (around Larsson and Carlson)

Sekera 681 – around 17th for 1-1.5 pairing Dmen (right next to Petry and Hamonic)

Ference 274 – lower than any score of any RHD in the sample

Nurse 182 – Ummmm. yeah.

We need to forgive Nurse some of this because he should have never been anywhere near 1st pair, but some it still makes me uneasy.

Nurse scored low in all 7 categories, but was truly abysmal in 2:

HDSCA/CA – Ratio of shot attempts that become High Danger Scoring Chances – 4th Worst in entire league (scored a 4)

Pts/60 – 5v5 pts/60 – .23pts/60 was the worst in the entire league. (scored a 1)

CA/60Rel – how does the team’s shot attempts against when he’s on the ice stack up against his team mates – 19th worst in the NHL

GoalsForON – GoalsForOFF – Does the team score more with him on the ice or off? 21st worst in the NHL

CF/60Rel – how does the team’s shot attempts for when he’s on the ice stack up against team mates -43

RelSCF% – What is the ratio of Scoring Chances For/Against when he’s on the ice – 45
    FA/CA – Fenwick/Corsi – how many shots attempts get blocked – 49

frjohnk:
    Woodguy

Posting this here, in case you don’t look at LT’s last post.

If we had a top 4 D core of

Klefbom
    Hamonic
    Sekera
    Davidson

how would they rank to other teams in your metrics?

Thanks

Ha!, just did it.

Imma gonna hafta rank every NHL Dman to include the lefties in order to get a good answer.

Will do it,not sure when.

15. leadfarmer says:

John2123,

Yes they are looking for a center but no way I do that trade unless Suter is coming with him. Cause not only do you lose that trade on day one but you also lose it going forward.

Jonas Brodin -85 in the HDSCa battle when compared to last year (-25 compared to +65) and 2.2 HDSCA/60 more than last year. We need guys that can help now not guys that need to be somewhat sheltered and they may grow into what we need in a few years. I don’t trade a lower tier #1C/Upper level 2C ( wherever on the spectrum your opinions of the Nuge are) for a second pairing defensemen no matter how badly I need a defenseman

16. Mr DeBakey says:

So the idea is
    Trade Nuge for a 2nd-pairing leftie, so that two current lefties can move over to play on the Right Side. One of those two, Davidson, has been quite spotty on the Right Side.

Sign me up!!!!

17. Mr DeBakey says:

russ99: We need to aim a lot higher than Larsson and Murray. Not to mention isn’t this bad revisionist history with our own picks?
    Neither is top pairing and for that matter neither is Klefbom.

He’s talking about Adam Larssen, 1st paring RHD for New Jersey.

18. Halfwise says:

I can’t see Nuge being traded before other options are exhausted. He’s 1C material for half the teams in the league, and he’s ripe, but he’s undervalued because his numbers are not elite.

A scoring winger and the high pick ought to get the conversation started for anyone named in LT list today.

I say this backed by the full force of my insider knowledge and connections, which are non non-zero. My wishful thinking, on the other hand, is non-zero.

leadfarmer:
    John2123,

Yes they are looking for a center but no way I do that trade unless Suter is coming with him.Cause not only do you lose that trade on day one but you also lose it going forward.

Jonas Brodin -85 in the HDSCa battle when compared to last year (-25 compared to +65) and 2.2 HDSCA/60 more than last year.We need guys that can help now not guys that need to be somewhat sheltered and they may grow into what we need in a few years.I don’t trade a lower tier #1C/Upper level 2C ( wherever on the spectrum your opinions of the Nuge are) for a second pairing defensemen no matter how badly I need a defenseman

What if you could get Spurgeon and Coyle for RNH + 2nd rounder/prospect?

frjohnk:
    Woodguy

Posting this here, in case you don’t look at LT’s last post.

If we had a top 4 D core of

Klefbom
    Hamonic
    Sekera
    Davidson

how would they rank to other teams in your metrics?

Thanks

They’d probably be low-middle to low end for a top 4.

21. Mustard Tiger says:
  22. Water Fire says:

Woodguy: What if you could get Spurgeon and Coyle for RNH + 2nd rounder/prospect?

If Nuge goes its for a true top level D, no warts, or don’t do it. I’m confident Nuge can outscore Eberle and Yak 1 given the same usage. And do a heck of a lot more.

Mustard Tiger: https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/709834008994062336?s=09

That would suggest that it is an badly sprained MCL? Would it not?

24. Water Fire says:

Catching some of the Islanders game and Hamonic is distressingly like Fayne in style. Not moving fluidly and reacting to play – i.e. ‘defending’.

I don’t think I’m on board anymore, they have a. Fayne.

I’m down to Demers and/or a smart trade.

25. square_wheels says:

godot10,

That might have made my day, seeing the young man with just a brace on. I was dreading the news it was an ACL tear.

I guess it still could be, but I figure the Gords will present me that news sometime after we trade Nuge for a D that isn’t Petrilangelo.

26. square_wheels says:

Water Fire,

I’d hold out concluding anything on Hamonic until after they play one round of playoff hockey with him in a full shut down role.

As a connoisseur of skating, I would not put Travis anywhere near Fayne in ability.

27. square_wheels says:

Woodguy,

I’m listening to that call all friggin day if I’m Chia. Sturgeon has had a rough go lately, but he’s quality.

The Oilers defensive depth chart for next year should be:

Klefbom Acquisition #1
    Sekera Acquisitioin #2
    Nurse Davidson Gryba

Reinhart Osterle top pairing in Bakersfield
    (plus Fayne if he is not traded)

The targets for #1:
    1) Brent Burns (the 1st round pick and Eberle)
    2) Travis Hamonic (probably Eberle OR the 1st round pick, the key component)
    3) Alex Pieterangelo (would almost certainly require Nugent-Hopkins, but St. Louis has centres to send back)
    4) Adam Larsson (would almost certainly require Nugent-Hopkins, but NJ has centres to send back)

The targets for #2:
    1) Demers UFA and lots of money.
    2) Vatanen (offer sheet)
    3) Shattenkirk (probably requires the 1st round pick). High risk because he is not a guarantee to be willing to extend, and the salary would be in the $7 million range. Boxcars are expensive.
    4) Dumba (would require Nugent-Hopkins in a bigger deal).

Two from group #1 would be like winning last year’s lottery.

Minimum required is two from group #2

Water Fire: Spurgeon is Yak territory. His size mitigates his value. They have Yak 2 and Khaira instead of Coyle.

Spurgeon is a more substantial player than what EDM will get forYakupov.

30. TsuDhoNimh says:

I think this needs to posted again. From the Sail on article.

“Kiltymcbagpipes:
    Good list I would only swap Hall with Nurse. While he is still young, trading away a 6’4, 21 yr old dman who hits, stands up for his teammates and can skate faster backwards than most guys forward is the best way to set your franchise back years. All he needs is time to develop and mature. Guys with his size/speed combo don’t grow on trees. If you play GM for a day knowing what you know about Chia and how much they’ve overplayed Nurse i’d say almost definitively they wont even consider trading him.

As for Hall, I would say while it’s unlikely he is moved I could see Chia moving for the right price. He is so frustrating to discuss here on Lowetide because many fans here can’t take off their bias glasses and look at his game objectively. I compare his game to Phil Kessel ( who ironically Chia traded). Terrific skater, “pushes the river” as people say and gets a lot of points but something is missing there. Not unlike Kessel there are many other facets to his game that is lacking. Fans seem to overlook these because of “his possession numbers” and he “pushes the river” and other fancy stats. Hall carries the puck too long, takes a ton of shots from terrible angles, make SEVERAL bad decisions with the puck EVERY game and attempts so many cross ice low percentage passes he kills rushes. Period. Yes he is a good player based on his offensive stats but when you carry the puck that much and shooting from everywhere you are going to get points. But it’s a team game and you kill momentum with the perimeter game. The Oilers have been this way for too long. We need more bangers who can get the puck deep, cycle the puck and cause fits for the defense. Hall and his “skate miles while he does a drive by shooting” is the opposite of that. It’s not the kind of hockey Tmac or Chia want to play.

Argue about the comparison all you want but in his first 6 seasons Kessel had four 30+ goal seasons. Hall has none. But, but, but nothing. PPG is only a stat. Did he score 30 goals or not? No. He could drop off a cliff any of those seasons he got hurt just like this year. Hall like Kessel is too much of a one man show and that doesn’t equate to wins. Why can’t he succeed with McDavid? Why can’t he adjust? Toews and Kane can when needed, Malkin-Crosby can when the team needs them. Hall “pushes the river” and is a good possession player because he plays an individual game not a team one.

Bottom line, its a team game not a one man show. The Bruins traded Phil Kessel who was coming off a 36 goal season and won the Stanley Cup the next year. Chia could easily recognize that and pull the trigger for a top dman and replace Hall with Lucic and feel good about it. While still unlikely, I wouldn’t list Hall as untouchable anymore.”

I would trade Hall before Nuge. Mostly because I think it gets you a better player in return, and we’ve seen what happens when we don’t have enough NHL quality centers.

TsuDhoNimh:

Centres have more value than wingers because of the scarcity factor. Nugent-Hopkins is younger, signed for longer, and is a 200 foot player. More teams are looking for centres, especially if they are giving up a D. So it is not clear whether Hall gets on more in trade than Nugent-Hopkins.

You can post it every time I write something new, it will be wrong every time.

33. Genjutsu says:

TsuDhoNimh,

These are the same arguments made against PK in Montreal.

34. square_wheels says:

Continuing my salary cap roster oddity tour that began with the Blues, I visited the Hurricanes tonight.

What an imbalanced mess, that has no real chance of anything other than mediocrity.

Not a single natural RW on the roster.

Just 3 forwards signed beyond next year, plus RFA’s.

Faulk and Hanifin likely untouchable. Slavin an emerging LHD, Pesce and Murphy emerging RHD.

Fleury (LHD) and McKeown (RHD). Kevin’s boy Keegan appears to be a depth D in the AHL, everyone relax.

If there is any team that needs offence from the right side and can spare defence, this is the organization.

Rask and Lindholm round out some solid C depth with Staal. Could there be a deal worked around Eberle for a RHD and some cap relief ?

Edit – calling them an unbalanced mess may be heavy handed, but this is an internal cap team that’s got a stable full of young D talent and not nearly the Fwd depth.

35. highgloveside says:

Halfwise,

Halfwise:

You are over valuing Nuge. He is a 2C on over 50% of NHL teams and that is reality. He doesn’t put up the offense to be a legit 1C for most teams. He would be considered a low end 1C. That said, he has way more value than a scoring winger or pick.

36. highgloveside says:

I’d take that all day.

37. John2123 says:

leadfarmer,

I guess I should have clarified I don’t think it would be a good trade at all, either. I was moreso interjecting what I thought might have been out there at the deadline. I agree that Nuge is being undervalued in that scenario, but now that we’re on the topic, how much you want to bet most of the league might see that as a fair trade? When guys like Kelly Hrudey are dubbing Nuge a 3rd line center you’ve gotta wonder…

38. TsuDhoNimh says:

Well I’m all ears if you want to tell me why he is wrong. I’m not a Hall hater, just seems that he gets a pass on his defensive miscues that no one else seems to is all.

39. Romulus Apotheosis says:

John2123: When guys like Kelly Hrudey are dubbing Nuge a 3rd line center you’ve gotta wonder…

When you can’t tell if trolling…

40. John2123 says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Umm.. Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but can you clarify exactly what about my comment makes you think I’m trolling?

41. Romulus Apotheosis says:

John2123:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

Say something about 2-way contracts or tell Bendelson to fuck off.

Send me a sign.

42. John2123 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Say something about 2-way contracts or tell Bendelson to fuck off.

Send me a sign.

Aaaaaand, you’ve lost me. I think I’ve had enough internet for tonight.

43. who says:

TsuDhoNimh:

I agree. I am not a Hall hater either but I am curious why LT thinks RNH is available but Hall isn’t. Don’t you think after this year that Hall has more value than RNH (in the eyes of other teams) and would bring a better piece back in a trade. I don’t think we can eliminate him from the list of tradeable assets. For me MacDavid and maybe Drai are the only untouchable forwards.

44. Caramel Batman says:

That would be a slamdunk great trade. You could then use Eberle to get Hamonic, and Coyle to replace Eberle.

Now you have two scoring lines and a solid top five D (assuming Klefbom isn’t kidnapped by aliens).

But that’s the best possible scenario. I can’t imagine Minnesota going for that. It’s a terrible trade for them. They are going to try and pawn Brodin off on someone. I sure hope it isn’t us.

Honestly, you’d have to consider RNH for Spurgeon + a pick. There is no way you get Coyle and Spurgeon for one player.

45. Quinlan says:

How anyone, anyone, can look at this team and decide Taylor freaking Hall is the problem is incomprehensible.

Stealing from Woodguy’s excellent tweets a couple days ago:

“Oilers goal share with Taylor on the ice = 51.76%
    Without Taylor on the ice = 38.62%

That’s leading by example”

The Kiltymcbagpipes argument reposted above admits Hall’s offensive numbers are very good and then proceeds to say he’s really not that good offensively. Yes he scores a bunch, and when he’s on the ice more good things happen than bad. Yes, he’s done this with crap all when it comes to a blueline behind him. Yes.

But he’s the problem.

As LT said, you can post this as often as you like – it will be wrong every time.

46. Centre of attention says:

Michael Pityk
    ‏@MPityk_PHI
    NHL Scout “Edmonton is considering totally blowing up team over the offseason, only untouchables are top 2 centers (McDavid/Draisaitl)”

So whats that 2017 draft look like LT?

47. Ribzyrich says:

What if you were to go Nuge and a 2nd for Pieterangelo and Sobotka?

Does anyone know what Sobotkas status is for next year?

Chia would be familiar with him

48. square_wheels says:

Centre of attention,

Edmonton is wide open for business, let’s be honest with ourselves, we’ve been one of sports laughing stocks for a decade. In all honesty, I can’t wait for this summer.

Water Fire,

Spurgeon is Yak territory. His size mitigates his value.

Alrighty there Spec.

Hear you loud and clear.

Actual ability and track record need not apply.

Caramel Batman: That would be a slamdunk great trade.You could then use Eberle to get Hamonic, and Coyle to replace Eberle.

But that’s the best possible scenario.I can’t imagine Minnesota going for that.It’s a terrible trade for them. They are going to try and pawn Brodin off on someone.I sure hope it isn’t us.

Honestly, you’d have to consider RNH for Spurgeon + a pick.There is no way you get Coyle and Spurgeon for one player.

Probably right.

They still need a scoring C who can play 1/2C something fierce with Koivu having just turned 33.

They certainly are shopping Brodin who really hasn’t been that good for 2 years, but is getting paid.

You never know.

51. Rondo says:

Centre of attention:
    Michael Pityk
    ‏@MPityk_PHI

So whats that 2017 draft look like LT?

10 years of being the worst organization in the NHL and they have 2 untouchables.

52. Centre of attention says:

square_wheels:
    Centre of attention,

You know why? Because Peter is not going to “win” those trades. We might get a defenseman, but there will be a gaping hole up front. Maybe mutltiple holes. Look at Bakersfield. Where is the help going to come from? Do you think Connor can carry the top 6 all by himself with Pakarinen as his #1 winger? Please.

Now your probably going to try and tell me we’re getting a top six forward replacement AND a defenseman in this type of trade? Laughable.

The opposing GM’s will dictate the terms. There is a very good chance Peter gets his pocket picked and loses one of these cats for pennies on the dollar.

Boon Jenner and Savard for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins sound good to you? *sigh*

We wait.

Send me a sign.

The family camping box.

54. Primetime says:

Minny will want to unload Brodin on us, Lowetiders want Spurgeon instead, but Chia will hold out for Dumba, no question, if that’s the team he is dealing with. Aggressive, great skater, bomb from the point. I mentioned it before, but I think it will include Koivu for cap relief for Minny (who may have to add a pick for us to take the contract). Big, veteran center that can play 3C or up the lineup in case of injury/slumping young C. Big ticket that disappears when they hand Connor the blank cheque for his 2nd contract.

Is it enough for RNH? Maybe not, but saying you only trade him for an established #1D doesn’t hold water anymore. Chia is dealing from a position of weakness, and everyone knows it. He can’t keep the band together and finish DFL yet again. As Square Wheels said, Chia is open for business, good trades and bad…better than watching the same old, same old.

Lowetide: Spurgeon is a more substantial player than what EDM will get forYakupov.

LT,

It doesn’t matter that he was one of the best 2RDs for the last 3 years.

It doesn’t matter that he’s playing the toughs with Suter and doing very well.

It doesn’t matter that he scores 5v5.

It doesn’t matter that he scores 5v4.

It doesn’t matter that his team has *always* out scored the opposition when he’s on the ice for years.

Doesn’t matter that he never seems to lose a puck battle when I watch him.

None of that matters.

He’s small and therefore only worth a Yak.

56. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: The family camping box.

Sugar-tits.

57. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: only worth a Yak

Think you may have christened a new LT-ism there.

“I don’t give a Yak what you think!”

“Go Yak yourself!”

“Between a Yak and a hard place”

“Getting totally Yakked by the refs tonight”

“Yak the Flames. Seriously. Yak those guys”

“Spec and PJ Stock can go sit on a Yak and rotate!”

58. Clay says:

Centre of attention:
    Michael Pityk
    ‏@MPityk_PHI

So whats that 2017 draft look like LT?

First, you have to ask yourself if Katz would give his blessing – and I think it wouldn’t be totally out of the realm of possibility. If his goal is to make a big splash in the first year of the new arena, it ain’t happening if they add a few pieces and improve to 82 points next year.

There are three UFA forwards available this year that scream Chiarelli / Bruins types: Lucic, Backes, and Ladd.

If Chia could sign all three, and turn Hall, RNH, 2nd overall, and Yak into something like Burns and Pietrangelo?

Lucic – CMD – Backes
    Ladd – Drai – Ebs
    Pou – Letestu – Kassian
    Maroon – Lander – Hendricks

Klef – Burns
    Sekera – Pietrangelo
    Davidson – Fayne

Sandpaper, grit, heaviness, and eyeglow/60 off the charts. No idea how the money would work.

Point is – if Chia wants to rebuild, we could have a fun (read: shityerpants the team dun blowd up) summer!

Ribzyrich:
    What if you were to go Nuge and a 2nd for Pieterangelo and Sobotka?

Does anyone know what Sobotkas status is for next year?

Chia would be familiar with him

More like Nugent-Hopkins and the 1st round pick for Pieterangelo and Sobotka (but I sort of think PIeterangelo is one of the untouchables in St. Louis).

They will just trade Shattenkirk.

60. Quinlan says:

I’m not entirely comfortable with this as I feel like I’m using LT, but he’s encouraged us to do it so here goes.

A little while back I started a blog and offer it up now to the readers here. It’s not as number heavy in content as this blog and others, but my thoughts are pretty well structured on analytics-based arguments; using them as a structure to inform what we see is how I value them.

I certainly don’t write as regularly as LT, probably more weekly than daily, and sometimes not even that. So, without any further ado:

*SPAM*

New post at 2nd Tier Thinkers

Fate is Never Fair (From Hades to Elysium)

Concerning the NHL Entry Draft, Proper Tanking, and Failed #1 Picks

*END SPAM*

RexLibris: Think you may have christened a new LT-ism there.

“I don’t give a Yak what you think!”

“Go Yak yourself!”

“Between a Yak and a hard place”

“Getting totally Yakked by the refs tonight”

“Yak the Flames. Seriously. Yak those guys”

“Spec and PJ Stock can go sit on a Yak and rotate!”

I like where this is going.

62. flyfish1168 says:

He’s small and therefore only worth a Yak.

Ok here is your Yak

I had Yak Jerky and it was pretty dam good

63. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: I like where this is going.

One vote is a mandate in my books!

START THE MEME-PRESSES!

64. Alpine says:

What about Parayko from STL? He’s a local, RH, showed up well in WG’s rankings I believe. Is there some way we could get him for 2RD without giving up much at all?

65. square_wheels says:

Centre of attention,

Ugh. I realize Edmonton wins no trades, nor am I speculating were “getting” anything resembling 1st line talent in return for trades.

In fact, I agree with you ascertain that we will likely be worse off for the impending fire sale.

But I don’t own a dime in the organization, so quite honestly, I give zero fucks what Chia does.

66. dustrock says:

Yak Bookje!

David Savard would be a nice cheap add but he’s Columbus’ RHD Klefbom. Developing well and signed long-term for cheap. Would take a lot.

67. Centre of attention says:

square_wheels,

I’m OK with Peter making trades. Its this “fire sale” business I’m concerned about.

68. Water Fire says:

Woodguy:
    Water Fire,

Spurgeon is Yak territory. His size mitigates his value.

Alrighty there Spec.

Hear you loud and clear.

Actual ability and track record need not apply.

Weren’t you pondering his strength of his play not several days ago? He’s not exactly Karlsson on the old score board. Is the whiskey angering your blood this evening?

Flawed players only derserve flawed players in return. Spurgeon is 27 next season. Yak 23 and not established. Please.

69. Klima's_Bucket says:

Gudbranson out of Florida is closer to Yak territory.

70. digger50 says:

Clay: First, you have to ask yourself if Katz would give his blessing – and I think it wouldn’t be totally out of the realm of possibility.If his goal is to make a big splash in the first year of the new arena, it ain’t happening if they add a few pieces and improve to 82 points next year.

Lucic – CMD – Backes
    Ladd – Drai – Ebs
    Pou – Letestu – Kassian
    Maroon – Lander – Hendricks

Klef – Burns
    Sekera – Pietrangelo
    Davidson – Fayne

Sandpaper, grit, heaviness, and eyeglow/60 off the charts.No idea how the money would work.

I feel if Chia added absolutely nothing, not one single move over the summer this team would hit 80 points if it could ice a healthy line up. With the changes I’m after 90 points.

I am worried we get burned on a trade. More worried we get burned by doing nothing.

71. Johnny skid says:

Water Fire: Yak 23 and not established. Please.

yak is 22 and does not turn 23 till october of this year for what its worth.

72. digger50 says:

What is the general consensus on Ladd? Could he be a fit? Anyone?

73. Centre of attention says:

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 4m4 minutes ago
    Babcock: “Marty Marincin was real good again tonight. We’re getting good minutes out of those big three ‘D.’”

I’ll kick this horse until the end of time. This organization has had trouble evaluating defensemen.

74. stush18 says:

Hey woodguy

How does Reinhart do in your rankings? Or does he not have enough minutes played?

Curious to see

Water Fire:

I think the world of Yakupov, doesn’t mean I think he is worth Spurgeon. Oilers would be selling low on Yakupov this summer. As for whiskey, I don’t drink during the week. 🙂

76. Alpine says:

Centre of attention:
    James Mirtle ‏@mirtle4m4 minutes ago

I’ll never get why Marty was jettisoned so early after having only one ‘bad’ season at the NHL level (that was hardly bad) even with him having 2nd round pick status and all.

I don’t know where he would fit right now with the LHD we have, but even Petry whom they apparently didn’t rate highly got more than a season and a half to prove himself.

Water Fire:

also,

Karlsson ‘s closest comp is Paul Coffey.

No Dman has produced this volume of offence since Coffey.

You can say ‘He’s no Karlsson about every Dman since about 1990 or so”

78. AsiaOil says:

Look you don’t stand pat after missing the playoffs for 10 years straight. You make changes. Significant changes. At least 2 out of the 3 old core (Hall, Ebs, RNH) will be dealt eventually but you only do it when you get value in return. Win and lose are subjective – only issue that matter is whether the team is better – and this team needs a serious shakeup in terms of chemistry and balance.

Eberle – most replaceable and one dimensional of the old core and I’d be happy with a solid 2nd pair dman in return (like Vatanen). ANA has lots of cap room with Stewart, Horcoff and Perron coming off the books and needs scoring. Seems the most logical fit. NYI for Hamonic also a potential fit if Okposo departs.

Hall – if we can sign Lucic for cash, then you can consider trading Hall for a top pair dman. Both of those are required to deal Hall. BOTH. Made strides in become a 200 foot player this year but still has work to do. Hall and GR for Pietrangelo?

RNH – most well rounded but not elite offensively. I would not trade RNH if possible and would run him on the top line with Hall/Lucic and Drai for a season to boost his offensive numbers. That’s all you need to trade him for a kings ransom – a single 70 point season – absolutely must pump RNH before you consider dumping RNH.

79. Stelio Kontos says:

I want to add to the list.

RW version of Pouliot. We have been playing a third line RW as 2line since hemmer left. We need to upgrade RW even if we don’t move ebs.

80. Water Fire says:

Lowetide: I think the world of Yakupov, doesn’t mean I think he is worth Spurgeon. Oilers would be selling low on Yakupov this summer. As for whiskey, I don’t drink during the week.

Sorry my comment to you didn’t highlight:

“LT you have a dangerous love for offense. I love it too, but not when it cheats.”

81. wheatnoil says:

Yak Bookjie!

Yak Bookjie right to Hell!

82. Skeeziks says:

TsuDhoNimh,

A very refreshing perspective and analysis of Taylor Hall. I must acknowledge that a lot of what you say is accurate. He is the western version of Phil ” the Thrill” Kessel. He makes far too many weak shots and stray passes for a veteran player.

Of the Oilers tradable assets ,Hall would most probably yield the greatest return. Given that the Oilers have a desperate need for high quality D Men, it makes good sense to include Hall in any trade discussion for a first pairing RHD.

83. Quinlan says:

Hasn’t PC kept his cards very close to his chest, throughout his time here?

He’s also voiced, IIRC, quite a bit of support for Hall and Nuge in particular.

To me, he’s seemed pretty spot on with his assessment of what he has with this roster and, according to the additions he’s made, what it needs.

The “reports” of a “roster blow-up” sound a lot like pure speculation.

Recent results are disappointing; overall, however, the picture is pretty much the same. They need health, and they need a couple of significant RHD upgrades.

Why does he NEED to trade Hall? sounds to me like that’s a last resort kind of move, the type you make when you’ve exhausted absolutely all other options (trading Ebs, Yak, 2016 1st, 2nd, possibly Nuge).

We are not at that point yet, at all.

84. Clay says:

wheatnoil:
    Yak Bookjie!

Yak Bookjie right to Hell!

Yak the Yakking Yakker.

Alpine:

He’s untouchable.

86. Skeeziks says:

AsiaOil,

I enjoy your posts. Please keep up the rational approach to analyzing the Oilers. Most posters seem to get to be emotionally tied to the players and their objectivity disappears.

Quinlan:

*SPAM*

New post at 2nd Tier Thinkers

Fate is Never Fair (From Hades to Elysium)

Concerning the NHL Entry Draft, Proper Tanking, and Failed #1 Picks

*END SPAM*

Good read.

Thanks for the link.

88. Halfwise says:

Clay: Yak the Yakking Yakker.

And the horse he rode in on.

89. Water Fire says:

Woodguy: The only person drinking is the one who dismisses Spurgeon based on size and equates his value to Yak.

also,

Karlsson ‘s closest comp is Paul Coffey.

No Dman has produced this volume of offence since Coffey.

You can say ‘He’s no Karlsson about every Dman since about 1990 or so”

You seem a bit over the top this evening, again 🙂

I don’t dismiss Spurgeon, I have my doubts about his effectiveness remaining outside of the Wild and especially Suter whom I think is underrated despite how good he is.

And you haven’t ackowledged your doubts you posted about him. I would present it for you to remember but it’s not easy to search this site, at least for me.

Railing on the whole size thing comes across as dated. That I mentioned it as a flaw on my part isn’t the same as you lumping me in the MOAR BIGGAR camp. Even Willis acknowledges it now, a stat and size battler from long back, before your time as we recognize you.

It doesn’t replace skill but it matters. The GM says size is good if they can play, reasonable people see the need for skill. Being 175 lbs as a D matters if your not Karlsson or Coffey, which was my point. .3 PPG or what he scores which is close to that historically isn’t scorching the league exactly. I’ll take a normal sized player for that production given he plays on a good team, Simmons 🙂

Edit: I’m out, return to debate tommorrow, cheers all

90. Quinlan says:

AsiaOil:

I suggest that this may just be the new definition of insanity.

Insanity

“When you fail over and over, misdiagnose the root cause of failure, apply treatment based on misdiagnosis, and (predictably) return to failing.”

SMH.

Everybody needs to take a step back from the immediacy of the Oilers’ recent struggles and reassess.

If you somehow conclude that Taylor Hall is the stink in the water or the fart in the air, you are seeing things that don’t exist. Your tortured Oiler fan mind is so twisted into delusion that you cannot differentiate up from down, and I encourage you to do something about it.

Stop thinking hockey. Take a vacation. Pick up a new hobby, a cheerful one, a constructive one.

Relax. Breathe. Recover.

91. DRFNsuperstar says:

Centre of attention: Trading away Taylor hall And/Or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins And/or Jordan Eberle has a very good chance of making this team worse.

Boon Jenner and Savard for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins sound good to you? *sigh*

We wait.

You have seen the standings the last 5 years right? This team literally cannot get worse.

92. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: As for whiskey, I don’t drink during the week.

In spite of our (my?) best efforts.

AsiaOil,

DUCHENE, MATT 2.31
    PALAT, ONDREJ 2.24
    TOEWS, JONATHAN 2.22
    MALKIN, EVGENI 2.21
    PACIORETTY, MAX 2.21
    TAVARES, JOHN 2.19

And Hall places third having to carry the puck out of the zone himself most of the time because the Oilers haven’t employed enough Dmen who can play the game.

He’s done that on this fetid garbage can of AHLers that Lowe and MacT put together and has gloriously finished 24th, 28th, 28th and with TOR’s win tonight is in 30th.

I don’t think you can trade any of those guys on the above list and win the trade.

Howson did pretty well on the return for Nash, but CBJ continues to wander.

The problem with trading these players is that the players you get back never equal value.

That’s probably why only one has been traded on that list.

I absolutely hate the idea of trading Hall.

He and McDavid can seriously drive the bus on two lines and that is so bloody rare.

As far as untouchables, in my mind there are two.

McDavid and Hall.

Each can carry a line against the best in the NHL.

None of the others can. Maybe Draisaitl one day, but that day isn’t close.

94. Quinlan says:

Woodguy,

Thanks! Means a lot 🙂

95. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: He’s untouchable.

I really don’t see how his Edmonton caste comes into this.

96. Quinlan says:

DRFNsuperstar,

They could trade Hall.

97. wheatnoil says:

Taylor Hall makes mistakes with the puck. Of course he does. He makes numerous mistakes with the puck every game. They become glaringly obvious because he always has the puck. Our minds are trained to pick out mistakes. We notice the give-away but we don’t notice the multiple great plays he made before that look routine.

The problem with the “safe play” is that it only appears safe in the short term. Conservative, risk-averse play might be dumping the puck out of the zone or dumping it in, and sometimes there’s a role for it, but actually making a play with it (especially if you’re skilled enough to do it) ultimately leads to better results… even if it means the occasional give-away that stands out in one’s mind.

For those interested, @regressedPDO has a brilliant post up today about blending stats and traditional knowledge that speaks to this subject. Honestly, it’s a fantastic read and she explains things infinitely better than myself.

98. RexLibris says:

DUCHENE, MATT2.31
    PALAT, ONDREJ2.24
    TOEWS, JONATHAN2.22
    MALKIN, EVGENI2.21
    PACIORETTY, MAX2.21
    TAVARES, JOHN2.19

I don’t think you can trade any of those guys and win the trade.

Howson did pretty well on the return for Nash, but CBJ continues to wander.

That’s probably why only one has been traded on that list.

I absolutely hate the idea of trading Hall.

As far as untouchables, in my mind there are two.

McDavid and Hall.

Each can carry a line against the best in the NHL.

None of the others can.Maybe Draisaitl one day, but that day isn’t close.

Leaves you with a rejigged roster that hasn’t had it’s guts spilled for no good reason and one more season to evaluate the talent without the Idiot Brothers whispering sweet nothings in your ears about blaming Hall and Nugent-Hopkins for their own selfish stupidity.

RexLibris: So Nurse for Hamonic if it’s available over the summer and sign Demers to only money, maybe try to move Pouliot to Anaheim for Vatanen, then see if you can buyout Korpikoski and take whatever cap space you have left and see if Lucic will bite on a short-term deal?

Pretty much it, except I try to move Eberle instead of Pouliot.

Pouliot is $2MM cheaper on over the last two years Pou has scored 1.99pts/60 5v5 and Eberle 1.93

Eberle out produces him on the PP, but not $2MM worth.

100. wheatnoil says:

Also, acquiring D-men really doesn’t require trading any of the core. The other 29 teams in the NHL didn’t have 1st overalls to trade for their defensemen, yet they somehow seem to acquire them. The Oilers acquire them too. Perfectly serviceable defensemen. Petry, Lubo, Souray, Gilbert, Marincin (recently getting a lot of positive press playing top minutes under Babcock on an admittedly terrible Toronto, who still has a better D-core than us). All those players were basically given away.

LT has been writing about this for years. It’s obvious to everyone except, seemingly, the only people that matter.

Stop giving away reasonable NHL defensemen for flaws both real and imagined.

101. RexLibris says:

Woodguy: Pretty much it, except I try to move Eberle instead ofPouliot.

Eberle out produces him on the PP, but not $2MM worth.

Problem there is depth, unless you are confident about moving Draisaitl to RW and know you’ve got Lucic in the bag.

I’d kicked around the idea of Eberle to Anaheim for Vatanen and Silvferberg. With additions to the EDM side to even it up. Thing with ANA is the money has to match due to internal cap, but getting JS from them reduces the roster loss of moving Eberle and Vatanen makes me think of a young Niinimaa.

102. Chachi says:

Of Hall, RNH and Eberle the only one that you can trade and make the team better is Eberle. The Oilers will still lose the trade whenever they do trade him, but the extra cap space evens things out because you could get a reasonable replacement for cheaper than 6 million. You trade Hall or RNH and you blow a giant hole into the lineup that can’t be fixed without blowing other holes into the lineup. Maybe you can trade RNH in a couple of years, but not right now.

RexLibris: In spite of our (my?) best efforts.

104. G Money says:

Quinlan,

a. for some reason I can’t post a reply on your blog, so I feel compelted to momentarily set aside my self-imposed comments-section moratorium to say: outstanding. Really enjoyed it. (PS: you too, Rex!)

b. your comment above is also terrific.

105. kinger_OIL says:

– Sorry you are mostly out to lunch. If Chia has full control, this team gets nuked. It’s sh#t.

– Chia by himself would eviserate this garbage, as any good management would: “last place team? bye-bye core”

As for the D:
    Klefbom
    Hamonic
    Sekera
    Davidson
    how would they rank to other teams in your metrics?
    Thanks
    They’d probably be low-middle to low end for a top 4.

Risk adjusted this is a brutal top-4, and the top-4 of a brutal organization

– Klef is not to be relied upon untill he proves he is. That’s just reality. Hope for the best.

– Harmonic fine but not as the stud of a D corpse that is brutal, where he is supposed to be the best

– Sekera: fine as a 3/4, get 3 more bona-fide better.

– Davidson: You want to bank next year on 15-20 good games and no report on injury?

Just a bush-league top-4

106. Ice Sage says:

Osterle reminds me of him. Surgeon caviar?

107. wheatnoil says:

Quinlan:

*SPAM*

New post at 2nd Tier Thinkers

Fate is Never Fair (From Hades to Elysium)

Concerning the NHL Entry Draft, Proper Tanking, and Failed #1 Picks

*END SPAM*

Thanks for sharing. Good read!

108. russ99 says:

This is Chia’s once in five years shot to really fix everything before key ELCs end.

So, yeah, I hope he does blow it up.

McDavid and Drai are tier one untouchables
    Hall, Talbot and Nurse are only available if it’s something that makes the team dramatically better. And Hamonic ain’t that.

The rest are in play, and obviously there’s some players there we’d all like to keep. But I want playoffs more than keeping everyone together.

109. One-Timer says:

wheatnoil:

He’s kind of Brett Favre-ish that way.
    All-time leader for interceptions thrown, which would mean he was terrible if you ignored that he threw about a zillion passes.

[Actually, he threw for 71,838 yds which is almost 41 miles of passing over 20 seasons.]

Let’s hang on to Hallsy. His offence would cost a lot more than $6M to replace.

kinger_OIL:
    – Sorry you are mostly out to lunch.If Chia has full control, this team gets nuked.It’s sh#t.

– Chia by himself would eviserate this garbage, as any goodmanagement would: “last place team? bye-bye core”

As for the D:
    Klefbom
    Hamonic
    Sekera
    Davidson
    how would they rank to other teams in your metrics?
    Thanks
    They’d probably be low-middle to low end for a top 4.

Risk adjusted this is a brutal top-4, and the top-4 of a brutal organization

– Klef is not to be relied upon untill he proves he is.That’s just reality. Hope for the best.

– Sekera: fine as a 3/4, get 3 more bona-fide better.

Just a bush-league top-4

I am not certain who you are responding to, but would suggest that Klefbom had shown enough to be projected onto the top 4D—injury issues aside. If he ends up injured again next season, I would suggest we can assume there are going to be worries for his career. Strange maladies, so I think it is difficult to project these wonky happenings to occur every year.

G Money:
    Quinlan,

a. for some reason I can’t post a reply on your blog, so I feel compelted to momentarily set aside my self-imposed comments-section moratorium to say: outstanding.Really enjoyed it.(PS: you too, Rex!)

b. your comment above is also terrific.

Nice to see you, G. 🙂

I would like to add my thumbs up on the blog from Quinlan. Well done! Crazy that so many people are writing an opposite article, good on you for writing the point worth making.

112. One-Timer says:

As for the Room Cancer diagnosis, there isn’t anyone here qualified to determine who it is or if there even is any.

One-Timer:

Agreed.

114. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Yep. I love the drink but it kicks my ass when the week is on. Water, friends. Drink it.

I remember walking over a stone bridge in Edinburgh one day and looking down into the quiet stream below and thinking “that’s why they distilled everything. Christ, the Swamp Thing would choke on that stuff!”.

Whiskey = Uisce beatha (water of life)

115. Caramel Batman says:

Here’s a fun fact. Amongst defenseman who have played 750 minutes over the past two years Darnell Nurse has produce the lowest pts/60 minutes at 5×5.

That’s right, Darnell Nurse is the worst offensive defenseman in the entire NHL.

And yet somehow to most Edmonton Oiler fans he’s untouchable while Taylor Hall is on the way out of town.

You win by scoring more goals than the other team.

116. RexLibris says:

Quinlan,

That was a very good article. Funny, sincere and straight.

I’ve been working along a similar vein lately and find myself simultaneously inspired and infuriated about not only the draft reaction around the league but also the history of this team.

We live in interesting times and it is up to us to make the most of it. I have to say, this team certainly doesn’t leave the writers starved for stories.

117. kinger_OIL says:

LT says: “I am not certain who you are responding to, but would suggest that Klefbom had shown enough to be projected onto the top 4D—injury issues aside”

Kinger says: I was cut and pasting a dialogue that suggested that that that D was bottom tier. If you project Klef as a #4 I agree with you. I also agree that he has potential to be top-3. But on a good team, after 100 games, he is a #4, and hopefully surprises on the upside, and plays 80 games…

– “Injuries aside” is why you discount him: that’s good mangement, untill no more injuries.

– He can’t be pencilled in to be same level of Sek-NewGuy (aka Harmonic)-Klef. If Klef is expected to be top-3, ignoring ability to be healthy, for whatever reasons, bad luck or other, this is a brutal team. Klef has to be 4, and Davidson 5. Then the 4/5 outperform, and the team outperforms: get it?

P.S. – Does everyone agree that this is a shit team?

kinger_OIL:

Kinger says: I was cut and pasting a dialogue that suggested that that that D was bottom tier.If you project Klef as a #4 I agree with you.I also agree that he has potential to be top-3.But on a good team, after 100 games, he is a #4, and hopefully surprises on the upside, and plays 80 games…

– He can’t be pencilled in to be same level of Sek-NewGuy (aka Harmonic)-Klef.If Klef is expected to be top-3, ignoring ability to be healthy, for whatever reasons, bad luck or other, this is a brutal team.Klef has to be 4, and Davidson 5.Then the 4/5 outperform, and the team outperforms: get it?

No, not really. I think Klefbom showed he could be a pretty substantial defenseman before the injury, and the injury sounds like it was a fluke. If you go into the summer assuming Klefbom and Davidson are healthy, then there is a need for (imo) two additions for the top 4D (to go with Sekera and Klefbom LH side). Davidson is your backup/5D.

Unless you know something about the injury I don’t, suspect that is the smart bet at this time.

119. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: Nice to see you, G.

I mean, I’d certainly understand the anger (fury?) of other teams if they did win it, and I’m not going to say that the old management group has any right to stand on that podium again, but to say the Oilers don’t deserve it when it comes down to simple luck?

Mind you, this is the same sport that is dominated by a healthy opposition to the idea of counting shots that aren’t blocked or who a player finds himself on the ice against.

These same people will spout off QB ratings and hitting percentages like they are talking about horsepower and mileage, but count the number of times a player shoots the puck and it’s like you’re fighting the Scopes trial all over again.

Okay, /endrant

Gare Joyce Verified account
    ‏@GareJoyceNHL

Bunch of scouts I talked to today. Consensus: Auston is closer to Laine, Puljaarvi than McDavid was to Eichel.

121. RexLibris says:

RE: Klefbom and injuries

*knock on wood* Hall is on pace to record his first ever full season.

No knee issues, no shoulder issues, no concussions, no broken thumbs or sprained wrists or Corey Potter footprints on his face.

Up until this year he was tagged with “injury-prone”. Yet at least half the injuries were freak accidents.

I’m skittish about Klefbom’s history as well and worry about him becoming our Sami Salo, but these things appear to be one-offs for the most part, so while I’d always pencil him for 75-ish games a season, I don’t think I’d give him the “injury-prone” tag.

And seriously, knock on wood. If Hall goes down next game I am going to go into protective custody.

RexLibris: I’ve been going six different directions that last few days, but is there really a groundswell of people locally saying the Oilers don’t deserve the pick?

Okay, /endrant

123. RexLibris says:

Gare Joyce Verified account
    ‏@GareJoyceNHL

For the record, I kind of want Laine over Puljujarvi. Almost want him more than Matthews if only because I’d like some other team to get Matthews so the league can unclench their knickers on the Oilers and the team still gets exactly what they need – a dynamic scoring winger…ohmygod it’s been ten bloody years of this, they’ve drafted a defenseman twice in the 1st round and I’m still saying that…

124. Quinlan says:

wheatnoil,

G Money,

Many thanks, all!

Again, LT – a huge thank you for the spam opportunity 😉 Should mention also how much I appreciate this place you’ve put together; quite the classy establishment!

125. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: I would say people who are saying how embarrassing it would be to win the lottery. For me, the Oilers tried, as they did last year, to win games and they were unable to do so. I don’t recall any Denver boot moves by the GM beyond not buying out Nikitin and signing Cody Franson, and we had that conversation last fall. If the Oilers win the lottery, I think they probably make the pick and trade an established player UNLESS someone overwhelms them with an offer.

Okay.

I mentioned before that your bit the other week about Pollock and the Expansion draft had me pulling the car over. I couldn’t see from the tears in my eyes and I’m fairly certain some of the other drivers were under the impression I was suffering from some sort of mental affectation.

That inspired me to write my next bit for the Rig on what an expansion draft might look like.

Suffice to say it will include a video clip regarding Leo Getz and avoiding the Drive-thru.

RexLibris: Is this meant to imply less separation between Matthews/Laine/Puljujarvi than there was McDavid/Eichel?

Trade down twice, get something fantastics or two something fantastics, and still end up with a great pick somewhere in the top 6 or so. I know, I know, but it is late. 🙂

127. RexLibris says:

Quinlan: quite the classy establishment!

*looks at the neon dive bar signs on the wall…shrugs shoulders* – “Meh, who am I to judge.”

128. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: I have felt, for some time, that I use too many commas, but anyway, I have felt, for some time, that the Oilers would be wise to trade down from No. 1 to No. 2 and pick up an asset. Ideally, you would trade down from No. 1 to No. 2 with Arizona, who would give up a lot for Matthews. THEN you trade down (or out) with CBJ who hold No. 3 overall and want both Finns.

Ex-act-ly.

Give ARZ Matthews and the league goes “awww, isn’t that nice – we still hate you, but a little less now”. Then do it again to pick up another piece.

If you came out of the draft with a prospect you could park for three years, Connor Murphy, Henrik Samuelsson, and a top-six forward or two you’d be laughing all the way.

And the comma is often in one of two situations, either painfully misused or woefully misunderstood.

I go back to MB McCurdy’s pinned tweet:

Micah Blake McCurdy ‏@IneffectiveMath 29 Apr 2015

Also a certain facility is within me for sentence construction of a most awkward type.

The comma use looks to me like someone whose mind is juggling more than one idea or concept at a time and is artfully manipulating the language to reflect the complexity of their thoughts.

At least that’s what I tell myself in the mirror.

129. RexLibris says:

One more thing about commas and sentences and all that stuff and then I swear to GOD I will shut the hell up and go to bed.

One of the things that stood out for me when I took Latin (and promptly forgot a fair portion of it) was that there was no real set rules for sentence structure. It allowed for the speaker to construct sentences in whatever way they wanted, within reason. Now people would generally follow some basic conventions but it also meant that the language was a perfect environment for the truly masterful speakers like Cicero who could create a sentence in such a way, leaving the crucial nouns or subjects to the end, you couldn’t help but be fascinated and ensnared not just by what he said, but how he said it.

Alright. Enough from me.

/endscene

130. Quinlan says:

RexLibris,

You’re right – the more time you spend looking at it, the more you’re pulled in both directions. I suppose, in a sense, that that’s the enduring attraction we have to professional sport. When a team is on top it’s usually not for long, and in the end (should they stay on top) things get a little boring.

The path to the top, which is more often a chaotic jumbled mess than a path, is the captivating thing. When you introduce characters like Tambellini, Lowe, MacT and Howson – well, welcome to fury.

But it’s fun. Overall, it’s pretty fascinating stuff.

Count me in for more winning though!

131. Quinlan says:

Agreed on Cicero, Latin, and commas.

I’m sure I use too many, too, and should probably rock some more hyphens, colons, and semi-colons, but, hey, what you gonna do?

Communication. So hard.

132. frjohnk says:

Woodguy: frjohnk:
    Woodguy
    Posting this here, in case you don’t look at LT’s last post.
    If we had a top 4 D core of
    Klefbom
    Hamonic
    Sekera
    Davidson
    how would they rank to other teams in your metrics?
    Thanks

They’d probably be low-middle to low end for a top 4.

Thanks.

133. Caramel Batman says:

I ran Woodguy’s experiment using the last two years of data and 750 minutes of playing time. I modified his ordinal ranking system (which exaggerates the differences in ability in the middle and minimizes them at the extreme) by using the range of the ordinal ranking system but substituting a cardinal number measured by its relationship to average for the category. I think this gives a better measure of the difference between players.

I also used different categories: 1/3 pts/60, 1/3 scoring chances for and against (using a hybrid of relative measures, high danger, and scoring chances, and 1/3 Fenwick (hybrid of relative and straight measures).

I didn’t group them by competition, too much work at 1230 in the morning. Limitations mentioned by woodguy concerning partner definitely apply.

Anyway if you do this Victor Hedman is the best defenseman in the NHL the last two years by a fair margin. Nurse is the worst.

Your top 21:

Gryba 171
    Ference 200
    Fayne 203
    Nurse 214

134. frjohnk says:

Caramel Batman:
    I ran Woodguy’s experiment using the last two years of data and 750 minutes of playing time.I modified his ordinal ranking system (which exaggerates the differences in ability in the middle and minimizes them at the extreme) by using the range of the ordinal ranking system but substituting a cardinal number measured by its relationship to average for the category.I think this gives a better measure of the difference between players.

I didn’t group them by competition, too much work at 1230 in the morning.Limitations mentioned by woodguy concerning partner definitely apply.

Anyway if you do this Victor Hedman is the best defenseman in the NHL the last two years by a fair margin.Nurse is the worst.

Your top 21:

Chorney 168
    Gryba 171
    Ference 200
    Fayne 203
    Nurse 214

Good stuff.

I really like what Woodguy did and may do something similar as well, but with a few twists. I’ll see if I have the time and energy.

Id like to see how different groups of Dmen would compare to the league

For example, how does a top 4 of
    Klefbom Hamonic
    Sekera Davidson

compare to the best top 4 in the league/worst in the league? How would it compare to the top 4 we had this year? But keeping in mind that Klefbom will only get 30 games in as a top 4 and Davidson probably only got 20 games as a top 4 ( as he emerged during the year)

Its likely Davidson and Klefbom wont be back this year. So if say that 4 healthy top 4 Dmen will play 328 games in a year, the Oilers will only get about 132 games collectively played by top 4 Dmen.

A healthy top 4 D of from above would be a HUGE leap from what we have this year and years prior but would still be lacking.

THATS HOW FUCKING BAD OUR DEFENSE HAS BEEN

Yikes!!!

135. Bank Shot says:

They have the worst goal differential in the NHL, and are in 29th place. It can’t really get any worse.

I’d roll the dice that trading one of the core may make the team better, rather than repeat this season again next year.

136. Bank Shot says:

I think your summer shopping list is too short LT.

If the first and second pairing defense holes are filled through a combination of picks, and inferior defencemen (Nurse, Reinhart, Davidson, etc) rather than Nuge/Ebs, the only other addition to the big club is a potential back up goaltender…….

There is no way that a couple of defensemen turn a last place club into a playoff contender.

The Oilers also need a two way, top six forward in the worst way. A Hossa-lite winger that can provide some cover for McDavid. Realistically they need two of these guys.

And they need a Sammy Pahlsson.

137. Yeti says:

Caramel Batman,

Wow. Klefbom is the sole shining pillar of light protruding in phallic glory from the retching quagmire of shit that is the Oilers D.

138. Professor Q says:

Ice Sage: Osterle reminds me of him.Surgeon caviar?

Do you mean sturgeon?

139. Hockey Buddha says:

I appreciate McLellan challenging his players to step it up in March. I appreciate his messaging on the importance of the remainder of the season to his players and the way he has gone about delivering it. I’m sure the players do as well. He’s identified that it’s about expectation, character, work habits and playing responsibly into next season. McLellan rarely brow beats his players publicly; he’s maintained his composure remarkably well this season, despite a number of frustrating nights as a coach. That, in itself is commendable. His message to his players right now is key, and I don’t think that the importance of it should not be lost to anyone on the team. It’s not simply a pride thing right now; it’s about parlaying well into next season with solid work habits and structure. Even with a reconstructed defense those habits being developed will be a huge factor in this team’s success next season. Whatever key personnel changes are made over the summer, the bulk of the change still has to come from within this team, from the players who are already in the locker room, from playing the game the way it needs to be played for success. These remaining games are important for finding that out. The team has to stop looking to the outside and to the future for help and focus on the here and now and getting it done with the players who are already there. It cannot coast down the stretch any longer. Discovering the meaning in these games when the primary reason for the season (making the playoffs) is lost is an important and necessary cultural shift. Psychologically, it is paramount for this team to stay in it and remain competitive until the end of the season.

140. sliderule says:

Marincin with 26.41 ice plus 3 and 2 assists.

Toronto might have found a defenceman .

Remember last year when he was benched in AHL playoffs for “bailing”on a clear.

We have the same coach running our AHL club that benched him.

141. Psyche says:

Good morning! If This happens and Arizona is open to flipping players and the #2 for AM who do you target? Is it younger prospects like Strome, or Perlini? Or roster players like Stone, Domi, Duclair, or Hanzal?

142. season not played says:

The Oilers have precisely one phenom on the roster and I assume he is untouchable.

143. Shredder says:

Hall for Roman Josi. Straight up. Big cost to the Oilers, but man we’d get one hell of a dman back.

I’d then be tempted to trade 1st round pick for Hamonic (if we got 1st overall I’d want more in return with depth forwards).

Psyche:

Depends on the other balls in the air. Honestly, the top item is a quality defenseman, but maybe that means Nuge heading to St. Louis. In that case, Hanzal might be part of the equation.

145. who says:

Psyche:

This is a perfect storm scenario. Edmonton has to win the lottery and Arizona finish second (third if you are okay with the other Finn) for this to happen. Wonder what those odds are. If it did happen how much extra do you think Arizona would give up to flip picks. I would be ecstatic if it was Murphy or Stone but am not sure they would do that. They might think that is a lot to bet on an eighteen year old saving the franchise. It also puts a pile of pressure on Austin Matthews, which is maybe not an ideal situation for him. In summary I would say this scenario is a huge longshot.

146. The Morning Skate, March 16: Scalpels and spines, Miller’s mad over pads, and vote for Zeus Preckwinkle! | The Province says:

[…] WHAT A DECADE OF LOSING DOES TO A CHILD’S GROWTH The Edmonton Oilers, bless their little loser hearts, have had a top-10 draft pick every year since 2007. And every year, when they draft the next big things — they’ve picked No. 1 four times in that span — the son of team owner Daryl Katz is on stage to help present the jersey. A decade of losing has forced him to lose that baby fat. He’s like Bane from Batman. He was born into darkness, and look what it’s done. SB Nation has the photo gallery. Speaking of the Oilers, whom the Canucks visit on Friday, the locals are thinking the talent-laden team will have to be blown up this off-season.  […]