ASSETS ON THE TABLE

The games are scheduled and the auditions continue into April, but we are free to discuss the coming changes. A year ago, I listed possible trade assets—almost all are now gone—but this summer’s group is going to be more difficult to identify. Why?

We have chatted about this before, but the bottom line is this: Edmonton GM Peter Chiarelli is going to have a list of players who are trade targets, and I imagine he will aggressively pursue those options. If and when he finds a player who satisfies the need and the asking price is agreeable, we will be looking at a deal.

POSSIBLE RIGHT-HANDED OPTIONS (A LIST)

1. Alex Pietrangelo, STL (Unlikely)
  2. Kevin Shattenkirk, STL (Possibly)
  3. Brent Seabrook, CHI (Possibly)
  4. Kris Letang, PIT (Unlikely)
  5. Dougie Hamilton, CGY (Unlikely)
  6. Travis Hamonic, NYI (Yes)
  7. Sami Vatanen, ANA (Possibly)

This is my list (modified from an item at ON) and I also encourage you to read (suspect most have already been) Darcy McLeod’s excellent work at Because Oilers (and his list—names like Josh Manson, David Savard, Chris Tanev, and attractive free agents like Jason Demers).

Peter Chiarelli can acquire quality without trading any of the assets listed below—signing Jason Demers costs only money—but the top of my list is going to cost a pretty penny. I have been thinking about this list for awhile, because trading some of these names runs counter to the idea of building a strong team the correct way.

It would also be silly to ignore rumors that have been out there for many months—and from credible and established reporters:

You may not like it, but these things don’t happen in a vacuum. RNH’s name was out there in the winter time, and one suspects it could be out there again. Why do I believe this? Because the issue isn’t about what Peter Chiarelli wants to trade, it is about what he is willing to part with in order to address a massive need. We don’t know the point at which the pain of losing an asset intersects with the level of return being satisfactory, but we do know it exists, and that PC will be very aggressive in the summer.

Will it require an overpay? I believe it will. One of the key elements in a negotiation is indifference with regard to outcome. Peter Chiarelli is going to have a helluva time playing it cool this summer. Here’s the list.

1. L Taylor Hall. I expect there is a very small list of defensemen out there who reach these heights. Hall is an outstanding offensive player and difference maker, who (despite his scoring slump in the second half of the season) remains one of the two true impact players on the roster. He has scored at .5-point-per-game since January 1, but history tells us that making decisions with small sample sizes leads to very poor results. Taylor Hall may be available, but the return would have to be earth-shattering.
  2. First-round selection, 2016. This could be Auston Matthews, Patrik Laine, Jesse Puljujarvi and one of Matthew Tkachuk, Jacob Chychrun and several other top quality prospects. For various reasons, this is the first asset I am somewhat comfortable in trading this summer. Peter Chiarelli may not shop the pick, my guess is that both Matthews and Laine hold enough value for Edmonton to merely take the pick and address need by using other assets.
  3. C Leon Draisaitl. Although trading Leon is next to impossible, if Hall is on the list then all bets (beyond McDavid) are off. Leon, since January 1, is 36gp, 9-8-17, and that isn’t going to get it done. Trading LD becomes possible (imo) if the Oilers draft No. 1 or 2 at the 2016 selection.
  4. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Despite words by coach and GM, word and deed by management since fall suggests to me that the Nuge is in play. Any deal that involves him going out must also mean another C comes back in return, leading me to believe an RNH trade might be a blockbuster trade that sees both a center and a defender coming back. I think it very likely the Oilers lose a trade involving this player.
  5. R Jordan Eberle. Another terrific talent, Eberle scores 27.85 goals per 82 games in the NHL. Although he is the lesser of the $6 million men, he is a substantial asset and (as with the Nuge) replacing Eberle would be job one after the deal. None of the available men on the roster have shown themselves to be a suitable replacement on RW.
  6. D Oscar Klefbom. Injury issues may cloud his value, but (as with Hall) this is the summer when all the cards (save 97) may be on the table. Wonderful young player, if healthy.
  7. L Benoit Pouliot. I am undecided about his perceived value ($4 million second-line LW) but his actual value may be greater than his trade value. He is on the list because it only takes one team to value him highly—but I suspect he will be back in fall and am completely satisfied with the idea.
  8. D Andrej Sekera. Although he does have a limited no-trade, Sekera is part of the large group of LH blue, and trading him for a righty could be an option. Unlikely, and based on his season I would like to see him stay.
  9. D Brandon Davidson. A quality contract and a terrific early track record give him some extra value, but having said that, those things also make him an attractive player to keep.
  10. D Mark Fayne. His value may not be high (waived early in the year), but I wonder if there is a market after what has been a solid year (after his return). No idea what his market is.
  11. R Nail Yakupov. I have no idea what his trade value will be this summer, but the club is likely to deal away draft picks and support players, so he may well be sent away to replenish those areas. If Eberle is dealt, I believe that reduces the chances 10 is traded.
  12. D Griffin Reinhart. We are reaching the summer where a three-for-one is possible and GR could be part of that kind of package. He is one of many emerging LH D.

I imagine all of the picks are also available, and here they are:

1. No. 3 overall
  2. No. 33 overall
  3. No. 63 overall
  4. No. 76 overall (Pittsburgh pick)
  5. No. 83 overall (Florida pick)
  6. No. 123 overall
  7. No. 148 overall (St. Louis pick)
  8. No. 153 overall
  9. No. 183 overall

106 Responses to "ASSETS ON THE TABLE"

1. Centre of attention says:

Nurse had a nice thing going with Gryba, that would probably have been a good spot to keep him.

Via Jason Gregor, we should see Gryba in a full practice soon. Plausible chance he gets into a few games before the end of the season.

2. Steve4 says:

This is a repost, but I really want Woodguy’s thoughts on it.

Trade proposal: Steen, Berglund & Parayko for Hall, Reinhart, and Osterle.

St Louis gets some cap space, an elite top-line scorer, a high-value defenseman prospect, and a potential value defenseman prospect.

Edmonton gets an aging, two-way winger on an expiring contract, an overpaid depth winger, and a potentially elite, right-shot defenseman.

Justifications:
    1. Colten Parayko is showing all the signs of becoming a premiere RH defenseman in the NHL. He compares very favorably to Weber at this point in development, and possesses all the same characteristics as Weber (big, booming shot, physical with a mean streak). He is 23 years old, meaning he is young and entering his prime…

2. Taylor Hall has failed to generate any chemistry with the future face of the NHL. Given the talent these two individuals possess, this is concerning. Pairing those two should put fear into opponents, but it doesn’t.

3. The dispersal draft (as I understand it) demands that at least 25% (roughly $18 million) of your team salary cap be unprotected. Expiring contracts are included in the number. The combined $9.5 million cap-hits for Steen and Berglund represent over half of the amount, and will allow us to protect more valuable players like Pouliot, Eberle, etc. The $9.5 million in expiring contracts will also leave us tremendous space for 2017 free agents nd/or extensions for Leon, Conner, Darnell, and potentially Parayko.

4. Further to the dispersal draft, second year pros are automatically protected. McDavid, Nurse, Parayko would all qualify. However, I do not believe Davidson would. The rule is that seven forwards, 3 defense and 1 goalie can be protected, or eight skaters and a goalie. In the first scenario Edmonton could protect: Draisaitl, Nuge, Ebs, Pouliot, plus three forwards; Klefbom, Sekera, Davidson, and Talbot. In the second scenario Edmonton could protect: the same four forwards, Klefbom, Sekera, Davidson, and the premier add from this summer (eg. Hamonic/Demers), and Talbot.

The way I see it, the only way to maintain our best players through the 2017 expansion is to replace one of our top forwards with a 2017 second-year pro. IMO Parayko is the most valuable 2017 second-year pro defenseman in the league, even above Ekblad (who is unattainable anyway). A Lucic signing would necessitate moving Pouliot, but the end result would be the same for dispersal.

Someone who is more knowledgeable than me may see mistakes or flaws in my thinking. Perhaps Parayko does not qualify for protected status, perhaps my understanding of the dispersal draft is inaccurate. In any case, I leave my work up for your evaluation.

3. frjohnk says:

Nurse is not on your list.

I don’t care what I said last post.

The guys a bum!

Trade him!

frjohnk:
    Nurse is not on your list.

I don’t care what I said last post.

The guys a bum!

Trade him!

I honestly don’t think they consider dealing Nurse.

5. Woogie63 says:

A 28th place GM will listen to more proposals than a 2nd place GM.

It is going to be difficult to separate the fiction from the fact from each Canadian team this summer.

6. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: I honestly don’t think they consider dealing Nurse.

That said, I do have reservations about moving him, the same reservations I’ve had about moving almost every Oiler prospect since the Gagner rebuild occurred.

Maybe I’m suffering from prospect-exhaustion.

Nurse is a player I’m quite comfortable keeping but terrified of seeing my team play against in a few years’ time.

I worry that his ceiling is Phaneuf without the offense, but on the other hand can’t help but wonder if he could be a new breed of Scott Stevens. This makes me wonder if Chiarelli decided way back in that early CGY game where Nurse fought that he was going to keep this young player, regardless of his first seasons’ results.

7. kgo says:

My eyes tell me Fayne sucks, I realize this is contrary to the story the fancy stats tell about him. He is the blog’s new Marincin.

8. frjohnk says:

kgo:
    My eyes tell me Fayne sucks, I realize this is contrary to the story the fancy stats tell about him.He is the blog’s new Marincin.

All hail Fayne.

9. frjohnk says:

RexLibris: I’ve said here (many times) that Nurse for Hamonic makes sense from a certain point of view.

Maybe I’m suffering from prospect-exhaustion.

Imagine where Nurse gets traded for Hamonic.

Then Snow flips Nurse for Hamilton.

There would be some sphinxters tightening in Oiler land.

10. Norman Greenbaum says:

JW ran this piece in Jan, after the trade. Who do you believe? LeBrun or Spector? LeBrun says he’s quoting PC directly. Spector cites ‘multiple sources’. It’d be nice to know for sure, to sooth LT’s fluttering heart!

11. Water Fire says:

kgo:

As the game matures into a state that top teams can’t carry expensive limited players the types change. Staged fighters are going. Fayne is suited for a trapping team with a fully functional partner. On the Oilers he gets exposed because of skating.

I think his puck handling is a result of skating (and others too) as he can’t get lanes by moving. On a sluggish trapping team he’d be ok.

Still there is cap next year to carry players that need to go, but they should be kept as expansion fodder. Having Fayne and Korpse at too high salaries might bait those teams that need the cap floor help. Once that is done then make moves for Connor’s contract.

12. Norman Greenbaum says:

frjohnk:
    Nurse is not on your list.

I don’t care what I said last post.

The guys a bum!

Trade him!

Trade nobody!

Ever!

Except for the rights to Omark!

Which we don’t even own!

Win win!

13. Water Fire says:

Norman Greenbaum:

JW ran this piece in Jan, after the trade.Who do you believe?LeBrun or Spector?LeBrun says he’s quoting PC directly.Spector cites ‘multiple sources’.It’d be nice to know for sure, to sooth LT’s fluttering heart!

Strategies aren’t static. The injury, Leon dropping off and who’s available changes things.

Nuge playing well with Connor and Eberles trade value at the time of talks also changes things

14. highgloveside says:

I agree that if the Oilers trade Nuge, they need to get a quality 3C to replace him (see Frans Nielsen).

I don’t, however, agree that Nuge will be in a package that brings a RD and a 3C in return. In that senario, Nuge will far and away be the best player in the trade and the team that gets the best player almost always wins the trade.

If Nuge is traded it should basically be centered on a 1 for 1 trade, or even a 2 for 1 trade to get a really big fish such as Pietrangelo, OEL and the like.

Norman Greenbaum:

Too many people had the same story. Spec, rishaug, national guy, my guess is it came out of Nashville. PC would be wise to keep Nuge imo, we will see.

Steve4,

Parayko is untouchable for the reasons you mentioned. Seriously, he’s the last player they trade, including Tarasenko.

Steen has been their best C over the last 2 years. Getting old, but still very good.

No way STL trades their best C and their future 1RD for winger, even an elite one like Hall.

STL has Schwarz, Fabbri and Tarasenko on the wings, they need another C to replace Steen.

They’d trade Statsny, but that a big contract for his production.

Also,

Hall drives offense on his own.

People forget that he’s still top 10 or close in 5v5 scoring playing with a rookie C (who’s been gassed/hurt for the last 20 games or so) and either Purcell or mush on the RW all year. (DrySaddle’s GoalsFor/60 w/ Hall 2.91, away from Hall 1.30)

McDavid drives offense on his own.

If you have Hall on one line and McDavid on another you have two elite drivers of offence on the ice for about 40 minutes a night.

17. Water Fire says:

You have to trade guys pushing 30 before younger guys doing well. Nurse’s first fight and the fact he kicks ass bought him a job. I’d say of the good D Sekera because size and weaker games and Klef because injuries are more at risk. Or Davie because Oilers and getting poached.

Pouliot is a better player than Maroon and Kassian and he’s also about to fade off because age and doesn’t fight and costs more.

18. John Chambers says:

Woodguy,

Besides at $6M X 4 more Hall is a legendary value contract.

The only acceptable players in return are Roman Josi or Erik Karlsson and those ain’t happening.

19. highgloveside says:

Players I would add* to your list of RD targets

Barrie (potential cap issues)
    Stralman (potential cap issues)
    Wisniewski (could be cheap)
    Tanev (Benning could be primed to be robbed blind)
    Savard (crowded back end with Jones, Murray and Johnson)

The other chip I would add to the Oilers trade vault is 2017 1st round pick.

*EDIT from ass. haha

Water Fire:

Pouliot is a better player than Maroon and Kassian and he’s also about to fade off because age anddoesn’t fight and costs more.

McDavid has been much better with Pouliot than anyone else on the Oilers roster. He is the only winger with the speed to come close to keeping up on the rush, the skill the take and receive a pass at speed, the brain to defer to McDavid, and the size to be decent on the cycle.

The Oilers need a clone of Pouliot to play right wing on McDavid’s line.

21. frjohnk says:

Did Ethan Bear win WHL D man of the year or is he a finalist?

Or do I have bad info?

EDIT. Seattle Dman of the year.

Carry on.

22. Norman Greenbaum says:

highgloveside:

Players I would ass to your list of RD targets

Barrie (potential cap issues)
    Stralman (potential cap issues)
    Wisniewski (could be cheap)
    Tanev (Benning could be primed to be robbed blind)
    Savard (crowded back end with Jones, Murray and Johnson)

The other chip I would add to the Oilers trade vault is 2017 1st round pick.

Curse you, autocorrect!

Norman Greenbaum: Curse you, autocorrect!

Too late!

godot10: McDavid has been much better with Pouliot than anyone else on the Oilers roster.He is the only winger with the speed to come close to keeping up on the rush, the skill the take and receive a pass at speed, the brain to defer to McDavid, and the size to be decent on the cycle.

The Oilers need a clone of Pouliot to play right wing on McDavid’s line.

This is crazy.

Vatanen only costs an offer sheet.
    Trouba only costs an offer sheet. The Oilers can point out that they have no D to play on the 1st PP unit.

Both of them seem intent on going to July 1.

Lowetide: This is crazy.

Eberle has gone quiet with McDavid since Pouliot got hurt. McDavid’s point pace has slowed down. His Corsi has gotten worse. Pouliot is a really effective complement to McDavid. I would argue, the best on the roster so far.

Of the five characteristic listed…

Eberle lacks size and isn’t so good on the cycle.
    Hall doesn’t defer to McDavid.
    Maroon is slow.

27. Norman Greenbaum says:

godot10:
    Vatanen only costs an offer sheet.
    Trouba only costs an offer sheet.The Oilers can point out that they have no D to play on the 1st PP unit.

Both of them seem intent on going to July 1.

Offer sheet and big cap hit and term, my friend, offer sheet, big cap hit and term.

28. highgloveside says:

LT,

What about John Carlson as a potential unlikely target?

Here is why I think he could be available, but won’t be shopped:

– WSH are going to have cap issues and have to resign RFA’s Johannson, Wilson and Orlov
    – WSH have continued to play well without him so he may not be thought of as a huge loss
    – Compared to Orpik, Niskanen and Alsner, Carlson will by far get the greatest return and doubt Orpik can be traded and Niskanen is over paid.
    – Oilers have the ability to provide the best “low cost” trade option
    – Oilers could return a good low price dman in return
    – non divisional trade
    – WSH will take full hit of Winniks contract, an addition of $2.2 mill that are not currently on their books.
    – Orpik, Niskanen and Alzner all have NTC’s, Carlson does not

I am thinking along the lines of 2015 1st pick, Brandon Davidson and Caleb Jones and maybe take a contract like Jay Beagle back and buy him out or bury him.

Carlsons low $4 mill salary for next 2 years easily allows PC to take back some extra money and in 2 years when Carlson is UFA, the Oilers and McDavid should be a team Carlson would stay with.

I know it is pie in the sky but I do see it as a possibility and I believe Carlson is a top 10 RD in the NHL. This could be the Boychuck/Leddy situation

If the Oilers don’t have a good lottery day, one could offer the Jets Reinhart and the 1st for Trouba and a 2nd.

Then they can settle the Chiarelli compensation this year also.

30. PunjabiOil says:

godot10:
    Vatanen only costs an offer sheet.

Both of them seem intent on going to July 1.

If the oilers want to offersheet in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd bracket they need to either:

A. Give up the 2nd rounder to Boston this year

Or

B. Work out a deal with Boston to give alternative compensation instead of the 2017 second round pick. Stauffer hinted they may do this. (I.e two third round picks this draft)

31. Younger Oil says:

We have spent much of the past two months talking about how bad Letestu has been.

He has put up 9 points since McDavid returned (25 games)

Hall has put up 10 points since McDavid returned.

I know much of the frustration with Letestu is a poor corsi and people are frustrated with him on the PP, but perhaps we should be giving him a longer leash and Hall a shorter one.

We say it’s a small sample size, but a third of a season is a very long time.

Not many elite, bus driving players go through slumps like this without being injured beforehand, do they?

Honestly haven’t looked into it, but if there’s easily available data I’d love to see it.

32. highgloveside says:

godot10:
    Vatanen only costs an offer sheet.

Both of them seem intent on going to July 1.

Both Trouba and Vatanen would cost $6×7 minimum for him to sign an offer sheet, that means a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd. I would argue that either could be had for less in a trade, especially with the Oilers pick order. Also I believe BOS gets the Oilers 2nd pick this year.

godot10: Eberle has gone quiet with McDavid since Pouliot got hurt.McDavid’s point pace has slowed down.His Corsi has gotten worse.Pouliot is a really effective complement to McDavid.I would argue, the best on the roster so far.

Of the five characteristic listed…

Eberle lacks size and isn’t so good on the cycle.
    Hall doesn’t defer to McDavid.
    Maroon is slow.

34. highgloveside says:

frjohnk: Imagine where Nurse gets traded for Hamonic.

Then Snow flips Nurse for Hamilton.

There would be some sphinxters tightening in Oiler land.

Don’t say that! Your scaring me.

Hemsky would thank the hockey gods he was traded if this came to fruition.

35. Johnny skid says:

Lowetide: As an example, Eberle has slowed, but that doesn’t mean he will be that way forever.

no that type of scenario only works for yak.

Johnny skid: no that type of scenario only works for yak.

37. square_wheels says:

Crazy ? He’s 100% correct. The ability to keep up to McD is a huge deal but this team needs balance in the top 9. I’m enjoying Maroon in top 9 LW role with Hendricks being dealt at the deadline or kept for a playoff push next season. Kassian will be extended on his RFA contract, as long as he takes the offseason serious, possibly going to Gary Roberts Beast Academy this summer. The real dilemma is the RW, it’s out of balance.

If we have the opportunity to draft Laine all bets are off. We could see a wholesale RW flush, with possibly a Teddy P return. Say what you want about Teddy but he was a versatile player for us, can PK, and a good cycle player. The concern is what’s available in UFA.

Okposo is getting paid. Brouwer is slow and very streaky and his clone (who I like as a versatile C/RW) Backes is unlikely to come to Edmonton to play behind McD and Drai.

Maybe pay 26 yr old Stamkos max cap, followed by McD max cap and let the rest sort itself out ? If we had a history of developing players until they were ripe in the AHL and routinely pluck Euro’s ready to play, maybe I’d have less apprehension.

Imagine if your 2 offensive stars were Stamkos and McD though ?

38. Johnny skid says:

Lowetide: I am doing up tomorrows stats, and Yaks 5×5/60 is the saddest damn thing. Bring back Derek Roy!

to late….. trade yak.

39. jfry says:

Lowetide: You can’t make these sweeping statements on such a small sample size. We are basically one half of one season into McDavid’s career. As an example, Eberle has slowed, but that doesn’t mean he will be that way forever.

ummm… the internet was built for sweeping statement, no?!

40. square_wheels says:

highgloveside,

Nobody is paying either of them much more than 4, but that’s an issue for the Ducks. Suspect they may lay spread eagle ready and willing for someone to offer that for Vatanen. You can do this when you continually develop NHL players from all over your draft spectrum.

We can hypothesize until the cows come home about trade scenarios but this teams glaring weakness is draft and developing. I’ve got hope based on Bear and Jones’ year but our peers keep delivering NHL talent and we don’t.

41. John Chambers says:

I offer something of a formula given a range of factors:

1) the Oilers are bound to lose Reinhart as a result of the expansion draft. Davy, Klef, Sek, and whoever they inevitably add will be prioritized. Reinhart or any D not named Nurse (only bc of his ineligibility for the exp draft) should be dealt to address the right side.
    2) we still need high end players coming into the system to support McDavid, so I don’t think this should be a primary trade asset especially given the exp draft. It, or as someone has pointed out the 2017 first, should only be traded IF they augment trading a lesser player (eg Yakupov or Reinhart) with a high pick. Godot offers some astute trade possibilities above.
    3) As WG pointed out, Hall is money, just not in 2016, and should only be parted with for his defensive equal.
    4) Edmonton should be willing to trade Nugent Hopkins if the receive a cost controlled C in return. As an example RNH and Klefbom to CAR for Victor Rask and Justin Faulk. We’ve learned that going forward with three quality centres is imperative. I also think Drai has a higher ceiling.
    5) Given that we can only protect 3 D, trading Ebs for one now seems like a poorer option. It should still be considered but I certainly wouldn’t want to overpay for an RD just to unnecessarily expose an asset a year later. Nurse same. He now holds greater value due to the fact he’s protected.
    6) A short-term overpay would be a novel solution on D. Brian Campbell gets $14M / 2 – his contract expiring with McDavid’s ELC.

42. highgloveside says:

Of the five characteristic listed…

Eberle lacks size and isn’t so good on the cycle.
    Hall doesn’t defer to McDavid.
    Maroon is slow.

Hall doesn’t need to play with McDavid, he drives the play on his own, it is actually beneficial that they play on separate lines.

I would say that Maroons box scores would say his speed does not affect his ability to play with McDavid

Of course McDavids point pace dropped when Pouliot got hurt, if you take away the 5 pt game in Toronto, McDavid is actually scoring at a better pace than before Pouliots injury. Even including that, the drop off is marginal, only a .2 ppg difference and the Oilers were shut out twice in that span.

I really think your grasping at straws trying to convince yourself of your point.

43. Johnny skid says:

square_wheels: We can hypothesize until the cows come home about trade scenarios but this teams glaring weakness is draft and developing

so true. i hope chiarelli can improve the team in this area.

44. John Chambers says:

Johnny skid: so true. i hope chiarelli can improve the team in this area.

Bear and Paigan are a great start

45. square_wheels says:

Johnny skid,

LA, Ana, SJ,Chi and to a lesser degree Phoenix, Nash, StL, Minn (Det historically) have remained at or near the top of the west because they have an established base of premier players and are able to be patient with younger players all drafted as BPA.

This is a HUGE deal for Chia, just as large as setting this group up long term.

If you could sign Stamkos and McD, Drai and Hall, then feed their wings and the bottom 6 with late season UFA’s and emerging ripe on the vine draftee’s you will be a Western powerhouse. This assumes you get 3 solid D and can keep developing Davidsons. The D we land this summer, if it means losing Nuge (fuck will that hurt more than I can imagine), but come away with a top 4 mentioned above ???

THAT is what GM’s are paid to do.

46. square_wheels says:

John Chambers,

Don’t forget Caleb !

47. flyfish1168 says:

just did the NHL draft simulator 10 times
    Oilers came out 1st 3 times. 🙂

jfry: ummm… the internet was built for sweeping statement, no?!

Gah. Cannot believe I said that. Al Gore says do not pass go, do not collect $200.

49. Water Fire says:

The Oilers need a clone of Pouliot to play right wing on McDavid’s line.

This team needs to be thinking 5-10 years ahead, as well as now, to sustain being a contender.

We fans need more and bigger buckets.

Pouliot does not help this team win a Cup in a realistic way more than Maroon could. Of course keep Pouliot but he goes before any younger equal or higher end talent, as should Sekera because while good he’s not a strong first pair but gets paid and is on the cusp age wise and 5.5 is too much for a fading 2nd pair.

50. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy: To say Hall is expendable because he doesn’t have chemistry with McDavid is bizarre and completely misses what makes Hall elite.

51. square_wheels says:

Hey LT, how’s the RE series music selection coming along ?

This is just me spitballing ideas – but how about an all female group/solo collection ?

Chrissie Hynde, Debby Harry, Joan Jett, Susanna,Stevie Nicks, Janis, Patti Smith, PJ Harvey, Gwen(No Doubt era), Amy Winehouse, Cheri Currie, Bif Naked, Shirley Fucking Manson !!

Because I love both sweeping statements AND small samples sizes:

HALL, TAYLOR 5.7
    SCHULTZ, JUSTIN -1.8
    REINHART, GRIFFIN -16.5
    BROSSOIT, LAURENT -0.5
    MAROON, PATRICK -7.9
    OESTERLE, JORDAN -12.4

Seems to like both Pouliot and Hall just fine and and likes to be out with 3rd pair RH Dmen.

And of course goes entirely off the charts with Davidson.

He’s 60% with Davidson and 48.8% without.

Wow.

53. kinger_OIL says:

– Great write-up LT! The two most effective things we have, which could net two more RH D are:
    1) 1st round pick
    2) Cash from Nikitin/Captain

– I bet 1&2 happen, and we get our 2 RH D that way

– If however they get the plug and play W from draft they want, then trade Ebs for a Chia winger (Ebs is gone no matter what)

– That would be 3 or 4 net new additions, costing only Eberle.

– I bet that is close to what happens + shuffling of YakéKorpse and whatever D become blocked.

– And next trade deadline, they can be really agressive if need be

square_wheels:
    Hey LT, how’s the RE series music selection coming along ?

hunter1909: Agreed. Just like the fans who go out of their way to discount Nurse’s extreme positive value, based entirely on a bunch of silly numbers that completely miss whatever it is that makes Nurse such an interesting prospect.

Oh I don’t have to go out of my way to do that.

Poor Hunter, the math doesn’t like his favorite so he pouts.

I’ve gone out of my way to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I doubt you actually read what I write.

Lowetide: At this point, the finalists are Blue Rodeo, U2, Country rock Byrds through today, Johnny Cash, and I am thinking of doing another new wave one like in August. Still a ways to go, keep the cards and letters coming in.

I could go for some Go-Gos

57. stush18 says:

Water Fire: This is true, now. It won’t remain true. Chiarelli has mentioned, thank the gords, that he won’t trade young for old players.

We fans need more and bigger buckets.

This team does not need to be thinking 5-10 years ahead.

I don’t want them thinking past the expansion draft when considering anything but in regards to this team. Seriously we are the worst franchise in a decade, and this span of mediocrity matches some of the worst ten year spans ever.

No one but mcdavid is safe.

Like if we eventually end up in a cap crunch in say three years after making the playoffs, then we do what Chicago does, and cut loose players making bucks, or set to make bucks, ala ebs, poo, sekera, and maybe even hall and nuge.

But we worry about it when we get there. Until then, focus on the now. Every other team manages with a tight cap. I see no reason why we cannot.

58. kinger_OIL says:

hunter1909,

What mean expendable

RamboHall: you are not expendable

59. BONVIE says:

Tyler Myers should be added to this list. The pefect Dman for the Oilers checks right across the board, size, skill, right handed heavy shot, powerplay ability, defensive stalwart.

In Winterpeg they just spent their money on Buff so I assume he is the guy for them, they still have Enstrom who was the old number one and paid a large chunk of the cap. Then we have Trouba entering the equation and seeking more money with a new contract. Mark Stuart is still in line for top 4. Then you have Winnipeg trying to find some ice for guys like Chiarot and Postma. Next year they will likely be looking to get Morrisey some NHL minutes as well.

Winnipeg is not a good team and they are right in the mix for the lottery pick with the Oilers so perhaps having two highly ranked prospects for their rebuild might be the direction they would want to go by acquiring Edmontons first overall pick, or they might think that either a Nuge or an Eberle might help as part of a package.

If I am Peter I am checking on the daily to see if Myers is available. Winnipeg has a strength in the Defense position especially on that right side.

INXS doesn’t get enough love.

They were fantastic for about 12 years there.

The Albums from Listen like Thieves to Elegantly Wasted are just packed with great tunes.

BONVIE:

Thing about Myers is that his actual money is lower than his cap hit and keeps dropping.

Perfect for a budget team like WPG.

He has 3 years left on a $5.5MM cap hit contract.

The actual $$$ is:

$4MM 16/17
    $3.5MM 17/18
    $3MM 18/19

That’s gold for the Jets.

Trouba on the other hand is still skating on his reputation from a great rookie year and wants large cash.

He’s the one I think they move.

62. square_wheels says:

First time caller, long time listener……Can I place a million point vote on Cash ?

Blue Rodeo, the harmony and creative ying/yang of Greg and Jim is just incredible. I think the youngsters on this blog would learn a great deal from that move.

U2′- did you see their legendary 3rd song that closed an episode of SNL in Sept 2009 ? I was always a casual fan but to see the energy they carry when the Edge breaks into Walkaway was……wow.

Edit – my old ass is losing track, that was the 2004 performance. And yes, I know the track is called I Will Follow

63. OilSafety says:

Re the re: May I suggest the Red Hot Chili Peppers?

64. square_wheels says:

Woodguy,

Damn I love INXS, thanks for immediately dropping New Sensation into my head.

65. Caramel Batman says:

BONVIE,

Tyler Myers is average at best based on pts, scoring chances for and against, and Fenwick. He is not the quality of defenseman we’ve been talking about. Very similar to Phaneuf.

His size, his shot, his physical attributes don’t matter if they don’t add up to results. And they don’t. He would not be worth his salary + acquisition cost.

66. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy: Oh I don’t have to go out of my way to do that.

Poor Hunter, the math doesn’t like his favorite so he pouts.

What a miserable bastard.

67. BONVIE says:

Woodguy,

We could throw in Yakapov isn’t it the general consensus around here that 2.5 million for him is a value contract? The way they threw the money at Buff leads me to think that the Jets are not too strapped for cash.

I don’t think Trouba fits for us we need an established guy that is top pair and can carry one of our many young talents with him as a first pair such as Rheinhart, Nurse, Davidson, or Klefbom. I think Pieterangelo or Myers and to a lesser degree Hamonic. Guys that have established themselves at that level of play. This would leave Sekera and one of the above for 2nd pair, rounding out a quality top 8 keeping two of Fayne, Gryba, or Pardy. With Osterle as the 8th. Musil and Simpson making up 9 and 10.

I am hoping Nurse is on his way down to get Bakersfield in the playoffs he needs to keep developing his offensive game at the Pro level you can’t have him play too consevative with all that skating skill. I mean when he skates the puck like he can that skill is only surpassed by players like Karlson and Doughty.

68. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

I can envision a summer where Eberle stays and Nuge goes for Hamonic…if they sign Backes and draft Laine.

McDavid-Backes-Draisaitl down the middle
    Hall-Pouliot-Maroon down the left
    Eberle-Laine down the right.

Klefbom-Hamonic top pair.

I am not saying I want to see that, but seems feasible.

If you can also sign Demers that’s not bad

Klefbom-Hamonic
    Sekera-demers
    Davidson-Reinhart
    Nurse

I don’t see an offer sheet. Don’t the Oilers still owe a 2ND?

69. square_wheels says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Thought they could pay this year or next for Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia ?

70. McSorley33 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Completely agree …..I think this or something very similar is going to happen.

Quick, off the top of people’s recollection……how many times has McDavid received a pass, on the tape, in full flight, from a defenceman on this Oilers squad?

Even Hall, more times than not he has to go DG it out of his own end and carry it out….

Dare to dream.

71. McSorley33 says:

Outside of our team, I would say Colorado has one of the weakest defence cores in the NHL. Or close to it.

So, why would they trade one of the best, young Dmen in the game again?

I Guess to free up more ice time for Nick Holden, Beauchiman, and Zach Redmond.

72. BONVIE says:

Caramel Batman:
    BONVIE,

Tyler Myers is average at best based on pts, scoring chances for and against, and Fenwick.He is not the quality of defenseman we’ve been talking about.Very similar to Phaneuf.

His size, his shot, his physical attributes don’t matter if they don’t add up to results.And they don’t.He would not be worth his salary + acquisition cost.

Well all your credability is shot out the window with me with this comment “average at best” so laughable. So by your Batman metrics Myers is at best top 120 on Defense. You do know that the most important part of playing Defense is playing defense right. Sound like your quite a scout of talent there Mr. Caramel. I see you blasting Reinhart and Nurse on here on the regular. Comparing Nurse’s numbers this year to players playing sheltered minutes with defensive depth, teams playing team defense and thinking Nurses numbers should compare or he is “below replacement”.

Why would Nurse’s numbers be low in comparison to a dman on say St.Louis or Anaheim, totally different level of forward commitment to defense. Veteran Dman for protection. If you take Mark Fayne out of New Jersey and put him on the Oilers don’t expect him to have the same numbers. Its almost like going from the AHL to the NHL and expecting to not see a drop off in production. Playing for a team like the Oilers that is much improved but still lacks in forwards playing the right way consistently, and commiting to the defensive side of the game it can be difficult no pressure on the backcheck to help the D close out his gaps. Wingers not getting to the wall when the Dman reverses to weak side pressure. Wingers and centers missing there assignments when the opposition attacks the seam. Missed coverage by the center on the cycle.

I find some of your posts pretty amusing especially when you think your putting other guys in there place and your analytic and hockey skills are so much more far advanced than others on here making their arguements, as I have seen quite a few good posts pointing out Nurses strengths and his obviously adverse usage this season against quality competition. I have no analytic skills to offer but I use Gmoney for my trusted source, he seems to have a real grasp on the concept of not all shots are equal, I mean he is attacking it systemstically as he outlined in earlier posts.

73. who says:

BONVIE:

Couldn’t agree with you more. I am amazed LT’s list of probable targets did not include a Winnipeg dman. Probably as deep a right side as there is in the NHL (St Louis is pretty good too). I would be going after Myers or Trouba and would prefer Myers. Problem is it would probably cost us Hall and when I suggested this a while ago I was told I was crazy. Maybe we could get Myers and a good young winger for Hall and Reinhart. Seems to fill a need for both teams, the money is pretty even and most of you did say we would have to overpay. Let the public flogging begin.

74. northof51 says:

Norman Greenbaum,

RE Nuge

Any chance Nuge becomes the next Patrice Bergeron? I was looking at PB’s boxcars and fancies and it has convinced me that he is the most underrated player in the league. Like MVP caliber. Like if I had a vote it would go to him.

I guess I got sucked in by all the hype around the lockout, and then the WJHC with Crosby that I missed all the essential scouting on Bergeron. Based on what was known of him at the time, is there any reason to think Nuge might get to be that good?

75. Alpine says:

i’m enjoying the Leafs-Oilers banter on twitter. I think the Leafs are doing things the right way, but’s its funny watching Mirtle and others bump up the Leafs CF% a couple points above what it actually is to prove their point.

Also they act like this is the first ever Leafs rebuild and they didn’t totally fail a rebuild two previous GMs. Or that the Oilers didn’t do something resembling a regime change either.

76. BONVIE says:

who,

But what if Winnipegs evaluation of Myers was somewhere between how you and I view him and how Caramel Batman views him. If that were the case maybe he would be available and maybe for a price that does not include Hall or Draisatel going the other way.

77. StixMalone says:

who: Couldn’tagree with you more. I am amazed LT’s list of probable targets did not include a Winnipeg dman. Probably as deep a right side as there is in the NHL (St Louis is pretty good too). I would be going after Myers or Trouba and would prefer Myers. Problem is it would probably cost us Hall and when I suggested this a while ago I was told I was crazy. Maybe we could get Myers and a good young winger for Hall and Reinhart. Seems to fill a need for both teams, the money is pretty even and most of you did say we would have to overpay. Let the public flogging begin.

Can’t see it costing us Hall. That would be an overpay of epic proportion. Chia won’t do that nor would any competent GM…..

78. Steve4 says:

Woodguy,

Steen plays mostly LW for them, I’m pretty sure. He definitely plays with one of their 3 centers a lot. (backes, stastny, lehtera)

I read your piece on evaluating RH defense, and I thought it was fantastic.

I do understand that Hall is a major driver of 5v5 offense, so I made the proposal with the understanding that both he and Parayko have tremendous value. I obviously under-estimated Steen though. Upon review of some of his fancy stats, I see that he is extremely valuable. touche sir.

I disagree that Colten is untouchable beyond even Tarasenko. He is still a young defenseman and, even with his unbelievable performance so far, he represents a reasonable amount of risk. I know Hitch understands his value, I wonder if the rest of the head office in St Louis really do. I still think trading hall for Parayko is fair at this point, and I contend that a GM may see Hall as must-get when available.

79. dustrock says:

northof51:
    Norman Greenbaum,

RE Nuge

I think he’s better than Toews TBH.

I dont see Nuge at that level but he’s still very young

80. who says:

BONVIE:
    who,

But what if Winnipegs evaluation of Myers was somewhere between how you and I view himand how Caramel Batman views him. If that were the case maybe he would be available andmaybe for a price that does not include Hall or Draisatel going the other way.

From your lips to God’s ears. Problem is I don’t think they need any right wingers (Wheeler, Stafford, Armia) so that takes Eberle out of the running. Just thought Hall would fill a hole left by Ladd and I hate the thought of trading Nuge, although I was willing to give him up for Seth Jones. Plus I don’t think Nuge has the trade value Hall does right now. Don’t know what other chips we have. I think of the tradeable chips that LT listed the only ones that get you Myers are Hall or Drai, maybe Nuge. If I am wrong and we can get him for less than let the games begin.
    Disclaimer- I am not a Hall hater

81. AsiaOil says:

With one eye on the expansion draft we should proceed on simple principles – build and protect down the middle at all costs – not doing this is what fucked up previous rebuilds beyond all reasonable belief. If you can trade Yak and Eberle for dmen this summer – you do it. I’m amused by how people think one dimensional wingers with sketchy defense and no physical element are “irreplaceable”. They are not. Even a more well rounded guy like Pouliot is replaceable when you have centers like CMD, Drai and RNH.

The only forwards other than Hall we only need to protect are centers RNH and Drai – that’s it – and if STL will accept Hall+ for Pietrangelo then even Hall is replaceable. If you can get 2 RHD like Hamonic and Vatanen this summer for wingers like Eberle, Yak, picks or one of our LHD like Davidson or GR – you do it – and protect 5 defensemen as part of your 8 skaters with Hall, Drai and RNH. Let’s say Klef, Sekera, Vatenen, Hamonic, GR (with Nurse ineligible). Of course Talbot is protected as a goalie.

Build and protect up the middle unless you want to screw up the CMD rebuild – and this summer will see players spring free as GMs prepare for the expansion draft.

82. Caramel Batman says:

BONVIE,

One of us knows what they are talking about and it isn’t you. You are the one that put Myers in the same category as Pieterangelo (however that is spelled).

The rest of the post is just ignorant. If you don’t understand something, it is ok to admit it.

Winnipeg has four solid NHL D. Byfuglien is by far the best. There is no way to spin the numbers to say that Myers is clearly better than Trouba or Enstrom.

As much as I hate the term, he’s a second pairing D on a middling team. That’s average. He’s not below average (3rd pairing) or replacement (waiver fodder), he’s average. Or if you prefer acceptable.

Over the past two years, out of a sample of 213 D, I have him at 127th, though there is a lot of false precision in that statement. Now that doesn’t account for quality of competition so you can move him up some if you like. Comparable guys are Morgan Reilly, Dion Phaneuf, David Savard, Jeff Petry (all better by ranking), and Seabrook, Kulikov and Bogosian (all worse), and nowhere near the top D in the league.

Trading Eberle or RNH or *gasp* Hall for Myers would be an act of epic stupidity.

83. prairieschooner says:

How realistic is Hamonic to the Oilers?

Would Edmonton satisfy his requirements whatever they are
    What are they?

84. BONVIE says:

Caramel Batman:
    BONVIE,

One of us knows what they are talking about and it isn’t you.You are the one that put Myers in the same category as Pieterangelo (however that is spelled).

The rest of the post is just ignorant.If you don’t understand something, it is ok to admit it.

Winnipeg has four solid NHL D.Byfuglien is by far the best.There is no way to spin the numbers to say that Myers is clearly better than Trouba or Enstrom.

As much as I hate the term, he’s a second pairing D on a middling team.That’s average.He’s not below average (3rd pairing) or replacement (waiver fodder), he’s average.Or if you prefer acceptable.

Over the past two years, out of a sample of 213 D, I have him at 127th, though there is a lot of false precision in that statement.Now that doesn’t account for quality of competition so you can move him up some if you like.Comparable guys are Morgan Reilly, Dion Phaneuf, David Savard, Jeff Petry (all better by ranking), and Seabrook, Kulikov and Bogosian (all worse), and nowhere near the top D in the league.

If only you were the Winnipeg GM!!

85. G Money says:

BONVIE: Gmoney for my trusted source

86. highgloveside says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

McDavid-Backes-Draisaitl down the middle
    Hall-Pouliot-Maroon down the left
    Eberle-Laine down the right.

Klefbom-Hamonic top pair.

I am not saying I want to see that, but seems feasible.

If you can also sign Demers that’s not bad

Klefbom-Hamonic
    Sekera-demers
    Davidson-Reinhart
    Nurse

I don’t see an offer sheet. Don’t the Oilers still owe a 2ND?

That wont happen NYI are stuffed with centers, they need wingers, Eberle is the guy that will get Hamonic

87. highgloveside says:

northof51:
    Norman Greenbaum,

RE Nuge

I have always held out hope that Nuge could become PB, that dune is a difference maker in every sense of the word. He started more offensive than Nuge with 30 goals in second season but after an injury where he missed an entire season, he came back focused on defense and his offense dropped quite a bit but then it gradually increased each year to where this year will be the most points in his career.

I believe Nuge started working on defense in his 2nd year and now he needs to focus on offense now that his defense is solid. The offense just seems to be eluding him and he can’t get his PP magic back. If he can find that offensive tough again I definitely see Nuge as a 65 point guy with a burst to 70+ with high end 2-way skills, maybe not Selke worthy but close. Nuge needs to exceed 60 pts next year to remain long term and frankly that may not do it. Not because PC doesn like him, but he is our most valuable trade chips and if push comes to shove that may be the only way to get a stud RD.

88. highgloveside says:

I think I got this figured out. Edmonton is the lottery champions, its what they were built to do. So they win the loterry and call up Arisona who desperately need home grown Matthews on their team to sell tickets.

PC offers up 1st, Sekera and Korpikoski to ARZ for OEL, 1st pick and 3rd. Maloney needs to get Matthews and they havent done much with OEL for 6 years so a step back with a new franchise player it Domi and Duclair is a great start for a 5 year rebuild, that would waste OEL’s prime years.

OEL – Hamonic
    Klefbom – Demers
    Davidson – Gryba
    Pardy

Nurse in AHL to develop

That is a very competetive playoff defense, probably top 10 in the league. Only problems is that they would have to protect more than 3 dmen

89. BONVIE says:

G Money: In fairness, you should never trust someone with the word ‘money’ in their name, I’m very concerned that they are easily corrupted!

Maybe some Winnipeg Defenseman analysis could be coming down the money pipe$.

90. who says:

Caramel Batman:
    BONVIE,

In fairness to bonvie I am the one who suggested Myers plus for Hall so I guess that makes me epicly stupid. I enjoy everyones viewpoints on here and find the discussions interesting. You obviously feel pretty strongly about this and that’s great . Confidence is a wonderful thing. I know that you and a lot of other people on here think Hall for Myers is stupid but do you really think eberle for Myers would be a mistake as well.

91. Cahoon says:

If there is even a possibility that Barrie is available because of cap constraints, maybe the 1st and Oesterle gets a deal done? Then we sign Demers in the offseason and our D looks amazing. Demers is an all around beast, Barrie is the powerplay pointman we’ve all been dreaming of, and the ‘core’ stays.

Top 6
    Pou-MacD-Eberle
    Hall-Nuge-Drai

Klef-Demers
    Sekera-Barrie
    Nurse-Davidson
    Reinhart

92. Cahoon says:

I’m assuming in that deal that the 1st is 3-5 range.

93. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

highgloveside:
    I think I got this figured out.Edmonton is the lottery champions, its what they were built to do.So they win the loterry and call up Arisona who desperately need home grown Matthews on their team to sell tickets.

PC offers up 1st, Sekera and Korpikoski to ARZ for OEL, 1st pick and 3rd.Maloney needs to get Matthews and they havent done much with OEL for 6 years so a step back with a new franchise player it Domi and Duclair is a great start for a 5 year rebuild, that would waste OEL’s prime years.

OEL – Hamonic
    Klefbom – Demers
    Davidson – Gryba
    Pardy

Nurse in AHL to develop

That is a very competetive playoff defense, probably top 10 in the league.Only problems is that they would have to protect more than 3 dmen

And then you throw out this tired and worn out Arizona proposal?” They won’t move OEL. Franchise D are harder to find than 1Cs.

There.Two can play that game

The Isles may lose Okposo but they could easily move Grabovski to wing, Strome seems better suited to wing anyway and they could easily have
    Tavares-Nuge-Nielsen down the middle and upgrade.

It’s possible that they want the better two-way player.

All I was suggesting is it is possible that Chia thinks Nuge is easier to replace than Eberle.

But I’m not making any blanket statements that I know what GMs are thinking.

94. Zelepukin says:

AsiaOil:

Truth. Under no circumstances have I ever thought trading either Drai or Nuge was a smart idea.

All 3 drive the bus. Drai may not seem like it because of Hall, but that doesn’t mean he can’t and won’t as he matures.

All 3 are takeaway wizards. Fucking wizards riding unicorns. Magic men with the stick.

All 3 are unbelievable passers. I mean really, think about it. We’ve spent the last couple years marvelling at Nuge’s passing ability. This is the first year we’ve had two more centers that are even better.

All 3 calm the waters. Nuge more than anyone on the entire team and it’s blatantly obvious both Drai and McD will be equal or better in a very short time.

All 3 have world class speed. Sure, Drai has had his ups & downs this season, call it rookie growing pains but we’ve seen it on display countless times. Barrelling down the wing with his huge strides. It’s there, in a very Joe Thornton-esque way. Nuge skates miles. Marathon man. He will do all the work and at both ends of the ice, probably more than any other 3C in the entire league. McD is the fastest player in the league. Period.

So when you have 3 centers that not only have all those skill sets but are also defensively minded and are under the age of 23, then holy shit yes, every winger should be expendable first.

95. Walter Sobchak says:

Just to follow up on NYCOil post.

First I’d like to add, I love wide sweeping statements, makes for interesting debates & comments.

I would like to throw a name out there Kreider… He can play any forward position just like Dubinsky can.
    He’s massive, He’s 24, He’s an RFA looking to get a raise on a team that’s strapped, he’s extremely fast for a large guy, fights, hits and does some sketchy things out there (Carey Price) his stats are very comparable to Pouliot.
    NYR are in a bad way come game time next October, they have to dump bodies.

That’s a wish of mine.

What I think will happen……

Honestly, I think PC hard targets Backes, this give PC so many options, plus a Righty in the F/O dot……He’s also a Pisser to play against.

I think the trade for Hamonic is going to involve a Dman, simply because Snow said he wants one in return, besides, I think Eberle for Hamonic 1 for 1 is a lost trade for the Oilers.
    I think Nurse and Yakupov for Hamonic makes sense. Mostly, because I don’t think Nurse alone gets you Hamonic but Yakupov does have a nice salary and he can produce, he may just need that fresh start.

Lastly, I think if Shattenkirk is on a PC list of possible trades then I have to think Burns is also on PC shopping list, there situations mirrior each other almost to a T.

96. Walter Sobchak says:

prairieschooner,

His dad passed away and wants to be close to his family.

Excellent watch.

97. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Walter Sobchak,

Kreider is a dink. I mean that in the best possible way. He is a dink who can play and has the speed to keep up with Hall and McDavid.

I watched a lot of Rangers as I had partial season tickets. Used to think he was overrated, but he plays a better game now.

I would prefer him over Lucic.

98. Walter Sobchak says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    Walter Sobchak,

I would prefer him over Lucic.

Well, were on the same page for sure.

I watch a lot of the Rangers games, went to Sathers retirement game in Edmonton and he was everywhere.
    He also came out even that night with a few points, took a draw or two and gave Shultz the business if IIRC.
    He would be much, much cheaper then Lucic & I also would prefer Kreider over Lucic.

99. frjohnk says:

1. L Taylor Hall
    2.First-round selection, 2016
    3.C Leon Draisaitl
    4.C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
    5.R Jordan Eberle
    6.D Oscar Klefbom
    7.L Benoit Pouliot.
    8.D Andrej Sekera
    9.D Brandon Davidson
    10.D Mark Fayne
    11.R Nail Yakupov
    12.D Griffin Reinhart

What the Oilers are willing to give up to plug a hole may well be a lot different of what the other team wants.

Yeah, as fans we can say lets trade the guys that leave the smallest holes to plug the biggest holes.

It might work because of salary cap/expansion or another team willing to do that trade but it might not either.

We all know what the Oilers need and I think most teams asks will probably be starting with

1. L Taylor Hall
    3.C Leon Draisaitl
    4.C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

* The 1st round selection is really a wild card, it could be anywhere from 1st to 7th depending on where the Oilers end up in the standings and how they do in the lottery.

One of the things Chia cant do is not get close to fair value in a return. If he puts EBERLE on the table and only gets a 4/5 Dman in return, well then you keep the asset.

And if Yaks value is only a 2nd rounder, does Chia trade him? should he?

I think draft picks will hold high value this summer because of the expansion draft and I know a lot of people will be losing their shit ( hello Toronto media) but if the Oilers will the lottery, I think that is the piece that plugs the biggest hole (s) without leaving a crater on our roster.

Steve4:
    Woodguy,

Steen plays mostly LW for them, I’m pretty sure.He definitely plays with one of their 3 centers a lot.(backes, stastny, lehtera)

I read your piece on evaluating RH defense, and I thought it was fantastic.

I do understand that Hall is a major driver of 5v5 offense, so I made the proposal with the understanding that both he and Parayko have tremendous value.I obviously under-estimated Steen though.Upon review of some of his fancy stats, I see that he is extremely valuable.touche sir.

I disagree that Colten is untouchable beyond even Tarasenko.He is still a young defenseman and, even with his unbelievable performance so far, he represents a reasonable amount of risk.I know Hitch understands his value, I wonder if the rest of the head office in St Louis really do.I still think trading hall for Parayko is fair at this point, and I contend that a GM may see Hall as must-get when available.

You’re right on Steen playing more wing than C. He still does play a reasonable amount of center.

As good as Parayko is showing, he’s ripping up 3rd pair opp mostly.

I think he’ll be very good and that’s the verbal out of STL as well.

I don’t think you could possibly win a Hall trade unless a Karlsson or Subban is coming back, Hall is that good and that elite at driving play, and if you trade him you need an elite back back.

Someone who is elite now.

Hoping Parayko can get there vs 1st pairing comp is a lot of hope.

He’s started great, but he’s a rookie and its a long way from here to there.

STL loves him and he is going to make either Shattenkirk or Pietrangelo expendable, but the Oilers need someone who is good now.

I think getting 2 actual NHL top 4 RH Dmen is going to make such a huge difference that the “we need a bonafide #1” talk will calm down.

I also think Klef is very close to a bonafide number 1.

Oilers can become a top tier team without giving up Hall.

In my opinion they have 2 elite players (Hall, McDavid) and one who is getting close (Klefbom).

Those are the untouchables.

Have to be.

You cannot replace them except through the draft and it includes getting very, very lucky.

101. Pouzar says:

frjohnk,

Twitter handle?

102. frjohnk says:

Pouzar:
    frjohnk,

Twitter handle?

No. I’m not on twitter.

I may go on it one day.

103. stephen sheps says:

If you’re going to do the country rock from Byrds – Present, please look into the Drive-by Truckers for a song or two, or just give them a listen if you don’t know them. They put out a string of records in the early 00s that just get better with age. Start with Southern Rock Opera (2002) or Decoration Day (2001) then check out the Dirty South (2004) and A Blessing and a Curse (2006). Hell, even their most recent record English Oceans (2014) was excellent. Patterson Hood, one of the two lead vocalists is the son of David Hood, bass player in the Swampers (Muscle Shoals rhythm section), so his country-rock/southern rock roots are as bona fide as it gets.

(For the record I think Blue Rodeo is an outstanding idea, too. I’ve been listening to them a lot lately to help deal with the homesickness down here in the South)

Woodguy: I could go for some Go-Gos

Oh? well they’re going on a farewell tour this year if that’s the case…

104. highgloveside says:

NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker": You state like you’re an authority that the Isles wouldn’t take Nuge because they want wingers.

There.Two can play that game

Tavares-Nuge-Nielsen down the middle and upgrade.

It’s possible that they want the better two-way player.

But I’m not making any blanket statements that I know what GMs are thinking.

Actually, Snow has said multiple times that he would want to get a top 6 winger or another dman in return. NYI currently have 9 natural centers on their roster, its not a position they need to fill.

I also clearly stated that my OEL trade was not going to happen, but it sure would be nice if that dream cam true. A similar trade of that nature was also written about on few different sites including Sportsnet. The biggest difference is that Arizonas desire for Auston Matthews is known, Islanders do not need a center and therefore are not likely interested in Nuge.

105. Jaxon says:

Would anyone be happy with just Demers this summer and Burns next summer. No assets lost. Demers will be relatively cheap. MacLellan, and hence Chiarell, may have inside knowledge (see history of Chiarelli in Boston getting Chara from Ottawa) on whether they’d come to Edmonton at a reasonable rate. If they liked MacLellan and like what Edmonton is building (just like Sekera, Talbot and Fayne have), then it isn’t out of the realm of possibilities that Edmonton could solve their RH D without giving up any assets.

I also hope they can somehow package Korpikoski (CBJs Finnish GM put Korpikoski on World Cup roster) and Caleb Jones (possible future LD pair with his RD brother Seth) to Columbus for Michael Paliotta and Rychel.

I think they should also sign Chad Johnson this summer as Talbot’s backup. He’s played well in Buffalo this summer and is a former goalie of Chiarelli’s. He’s got decent numbers (although his time in NYI was not good). Talbot and Johnson have played 3 seasons together already so there should be a comfort level there. He was born in Saskatoon, raised in Alberta and played in the AJHL so he may be had for cheap on a hometown discount.

Ziyat Paigin is hopefully on his way across the pond soon. His NHLE is 47 pts!! He’s huge and can move and defend. I saw a twitter comment that Sochi will have a tough time convincing him to stay for his final contract year. I’m not sure he’ll be able to jump right into the NHL but I’m sure he will be on the roster at some point next season if he does come over. He and Paliotta may be cap savers in the future making more expensive players like Sekera expendable.

Pouliot / McDavid / Eberle

Davidson / Gryba
    Reinhart / Bear

Talbot
    Johnson
    Broissot

Future trade bait:
    Hendricks (to Washignton next deadline), Letestu, Fayne, Sekera (summer of 18 to Ottawa when NTC becomes limited to 15 teams), Gryba, Davidson, LaLeggia, Oesterle, Musil, Moroz.

106. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

highgloveside: Actually, Snow has said multiple times that he would want to get a top 6 winger or another dman in return.NYI currently have 9 natural centers on their roster, its not a position they need to fill.

I also clearly stated that my OEL trade was not going to happen, but it sure would be nice if that dream cam true.A similar trade of that nature was also written abouton few different sites including Sportsnet.The biggest difference is that Arizonas desire for Auston Matthews is known, Islanders do not need a center and therefore are not likely interested in Nuge.

Did you have a link to a quote about wingers? I may have missed something during my time in Asia. I don’t mean the lighthouse blog but actual statement from Snow.

Also, anything to prove Arizona’s desire for Matthews is “known” rather than speculated as well if you have it, please. Thank you very much.