A CHANGE IN THE WEATHER

Friends, we are looking at a different draft in 2016. I cannot tell you why it is happening, but we are seeing a significant change in the weather.

matthews capture

Auston Matthews, No. 1 for 2016

A year ago, end of March, we had the top five selections surrounded. Here is my list from March 28:

• (1)C Connor McDavid, Erie Otters (OHL) 47GP, 44-76-120 (2.55)
  • (2)C Jack Eichel, Boston U (NCAA) 37GP, 24-43-67 (1.81)
  • (3)R Mitch Marner, London Knights (OHL) 63GP, 44-82-126  (2.00)
  • (4)C Dylan Strome, Erie Otters (OHL) 68GP, 45-84-129 (1.90)
  • (5)D Noah Hanifin, Boston College (NCAA) 36GP, 5-18-23 (.639)

The final draft order had Strome going in front of Marner, but that is pretty close. My list isn’t about trying to project the draft, it is about finding best value. That said, the top five overall should be pretty close (defensemen are tough to project).

Draft 2016

This year, we are seeing some unusual movement at this late date. I believe there are two things driving the fluidity of the draft: No one can agree on the defensemen (I spoke to Steve Kournianos this week, he is still strong on Jacob Chyrchun, while Craig Button has moved him down from No. 7 in January to No. 9 now), and there are some guys who appear to be spiking late. Here they are:

• C-L Pierre Luc-Dubois is having some kind of run. Button now has him N0. 4 overall, Kournianos No. 5 overall. There is little doubt in my mind he will be the first Canadian drafted this year. His NHLE is 34 points, and he is 6.03, 202. I cannot imagine he goes before the gang of four I have at the top of this draft (Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi and Tkachuk) but you never know.
  • D Olli Juolevi is moving up, no idea if he is ahead of Chychrun but the Finn, Chychrun and Russian blue Mikhail Sergachev seem to be in a cluster.
  • D Charlie McAvoy is coming on now, he is one of those college late-breakers we see sometimes. No idea why the rumbles didn’t hit earlier, he does appear to be a substantial prospect. Another college man, Luke Kunin, may also surprise.
  • D Lucas Johansen (Ryan’s brother) is making some noise out of Kelowna, a nice story on him here. I will have a new top 30 on Sunday, some of these characters will move up (still not sure of Dubois’ speed and that blue cluster may be impossible to figure out).

Adding Matthews to the insane group of forwards currently in Edmonton (I do not share the negativity about the Oilers F crew) would signal either three scoring lines are a lock, or an incumbent is going to be dealt.

• Elliotte Friedman: Coach Todd McLellan’s exasperation with his forwards grows on a game-by-game basis. At this point, I assume the only untouchables up-front are Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl.

I have seen this discussed all over the Al Gore this afternoon, and don’t quite see this as others do in regard to the rest of the group. I see McDavid and Draisaitl as being players under control, with term on their entry-level deals. The rest of the group are on contracts that have a due date, and for me that is what Mr. Friedman is saying. I have read (in places) that this quote means McLellan is happy with only McDavid and Draisaitl, it doesn’t read like that for me. I could be wrong, but the author appears to have crafted that last sentences carefully. The first sentence is revealing though, and I do wonder that (if in the quiet moments) McLellan misses the fierce back-checking he received from his soldiers—even the rich guys—in San Jose. Awareness when playing without the puck is an area of frustration, I am willing to bet good money (not mine, but other people’s) on it.

Erin is correct, this is terrific news. Bear had a good year leading into his draft and has followed it up with a strong D+1 season. The trick now will be to finish strong and arrive in camp this fall ready to roll. One final season of junior and then into pro. Long, long road but good for him (and the other kids from a pretty nice 2015 Oilers draft) and I’m cheering for him. Based on this season in the majors, Edmonton should be drafting six-packs of defensemen (14 used in 2015-16 with a mile or more to go).

96 Responses to "A CHANGE IN THE WEATHER"

1. stush18 says:

I can’t wait for every collective mind in Toronto to go permanently numb when the oilers win the draft lottery again. It really helps to make up for the terrible year, listening to the media lose it

2. One-Timer says:

LT, please tell us you mean that Todd missed his back-checking demons in the Sharktank, not YEG. We haven’t seen that kind of critter in these parts for many a year.

3. highgloveside says:

All of this mind changing on the top dmen in the draft lead me to believe that they wouldn’t make top 10 in the past couple drafts. I sure hope the Oilers trade the pick for some help in the now and not in the future. I don’t think anyone other than Matthews is ready to make the NHL jump next year, the Finns, as most Europeans do, need another year in Europe or start in the AHL to get used to the North American game.

4. stush18 says:

I think if Mathews is picked we could see drai on the move potentially, because mcdavid is mcdavid and they’ll keep nuge just cuz running three centres under twenty is stupid. With Mathews being NHL ready and drai having pretty high value, and them being similar in age.

What’s drai get you? (Note: This is me speculating, not shitting on a player and trying to trade him)

ETHAN BEAR IS A FINE RIGHT HANDED DMAN AND THEREFORE MY NEW FAVORITE PROSPECT!!!

6. Ducey says:

I would hope we get more forwards in this draft. And some right handers!

The Oilers have Nurse, Reinhart, Oesterle, Musil (maybe), the Simpsons, Leggs, Betker, Lagesson, Bear, Jones, Paigin, Marino. Them’s a lot of D.

Up front they have Khaira, Sleppy, Big Yak, Chase, Platzer and uh, well some very dark horses.

I think only Chase and Platzer shoot right up front. Only Bear and Marino shoot right on D.

Woodguy:

They asked him to change over, he buggered up the photo.

8. sliderule says:

Button has dropped defenceman down before .

Last year he dropped Hanifin to 12

Oops.

If you only go by boxes Tkachuk and Nylander don’t score a lot of goals for wingers.

The oilers with the centres they have need goal scorers..

There will be two defenceman at bargain prices if you beleive Button.

I hope oilers read consumer reports and not Button.

From Steve’s site (via the link) :

Finland’s top prospect is uber-scoring winger Patrik Laine (No. 3), whose torrid production slowed down in March without compromising effort or involvement. We view him as the best draft-eligible goal scorer since Alexander Ovechkin in 2004, and one can argue Laine’s pre-draft season in the Finnish league is as, if not more, impressive than what Ovechkin did in Russia in 2003-04.

Oh my.

That is why I don’t trade out of 1 or 2 and make room for them.

I heard “a bigger Jari Kurri”

A Finnish Ovechkin is ok too eh?

Lowetide: They asked him to change over, he buggered up the photo.

YOU STAY AWAY FROM HIM MISTER!

11. square_wheels says:

stush18,

You’ve got it all wrong. They can draft Mathews first overall, just send us Morgan Reilly, their 1st and Dion’s 2002 Miata convertible.

sliderule:
    Button has dropped defencemandown before .

Last year he dropped Hanifin to 12

Oops.

The oilers with the centres they have need goal scorers..

There will be two defenceman at bargain prices if you beleive Button.

I hope oilers read consumer reports and not Button.

Agreed.

I like Chychrun a lot and if you take into account his injury and Darrien *spits* Hatcher then he’s fine.

His 16 year old season was almost Doughty-esque.

Rare.

That kind of talent doesn’t go away, it just gets smothered by idiot head coaches who used to water ski behind all my favorite Oilers and elbow them without repercussion.

Hatcher.

*spits*

Fuck that guy.

13. frjohnk says:

Woodguy:

From Steve’s site (via the link) :

Oh my.

That is why I don’t trade out of 1 or 2 and make room for them.

I heard “a bigger Jari Kurri”

A Finnish Ovechkin is ok too eh?

I had mentioned that during the world jrs Laine reminded me somewhat of Ovie with his size skill and skating.

Especially the time when he was upset and completely ran over some poor 19 yearold from Sweden.

14. Mr DeBakey says:

highgloveside: I sure hope the Oilers use the pick for some help in the now and not in the future.

Yeah, an 18-year-old who can do that should be easy to find.

15. square_wheels says:

Woodguy,

What I loved about him in the WJC is he is very involved, gets in on the forecheck, battles for net presence and boy can he rip pucks.

Any comparison to the legendary 17 is beyond expectations. Let’s hope the Gords bless us again.

Fuck Hatcher, worst of the worst.

16. Mr DeBakey says:

while Craig Button has moved him down from No. 7 in January to No. 9 now)

Like others have commented above.
    Button’s ups and downs are indicative of not much.

17. frjohnk says:

Woodguy: Agreed.

His 16 year old season was almost Doughty-esque.

Rare.

Hatcher.

*spits*

Fuck that guy.

Sarnia was one of the highest scoring teams in the OHL, so I wonder what kind of impact Hatcher had on Chychruns offense.

Ah forget it, why are we debating a Dman again like last Hanifin last year.

We are gonna win the 1st pick again.

I hope to be a fly on Jeff Oneils wall when that happens.

18. highgloveside says:

stush18:

Apparently they already feel Nylander and Marincin will be the saviors of the Leafs. I still can’t stop from laughing every time I think about that. Kadri was the savior once too right?

19. Tarkus says:

A Finnish Ovechkin is ok too eh?

Mmmmm…Ovechkinen….

Do we want #2 to take a triggerman this team so desperately needs? Or #1 just to rub it in the media / NHL faces?

20. Fog of Warts says:

If I were Aussie’s teammate, I’d have the infamous blue and gold lottery card from last June printed up, and I would spring it on him whenever he least expects it.

“Oh, Aussie, you’re not beaming with pride. Come on! You can do better than that. Kiss for the camera! Show us ‘spontaneously overjoyed’.”

And I’d keep doing it and doing it until he has a complete ogre melt down. Or two.

Then there would be a team pool on draft day about which facial expressions cross his face at the highly scrutinized moment of truth.

21. highgloveside says:

Woodguy:

From Steve’s site (via the link) :

Oh my.

That is why I don’t trade out of 1 or 2 and make room for them.

I heard “a bigger Jari Kurri”

A Finnish Ovechkin is ok too eh?

Changed my mind, pick Laine if he is available. A 40 goal scorer in the NHL will score 50+ with McDavid.

22. Justthestatsman says:

I guess we all know we’re not winning a Stanley with the current roster. If we ever win one again it’s likely not too many of the current roster will get to hoist the trophy. I’m okay with that. 1984 was my favorite cup win because it was the first, but 1990 was a close second because they did it without Gretzky.

23. highgloveside says:

Mr DeBakey: Yeah, an 18-year-old who can do that should be easy to find.

I meant trade it, not use it. WG’s post on Laine has me questioning that if he is available

24. Frank the dog says:

What we need, is for our talent to stay healthy plus a couple of good D men and a backup goalie.
    We need to play on level ice, with fair reffing, and a more balanced schedule.

We need a group of big, mean psychotic b@st@rds with bushels of hair on their ass on every line and every pairing, who apply Nurse-esque beat downs to every asshole who rides our players into the boards, and enough of them that suspensions don’t matter.

That would get us into the playoffs but they’d still find a way to stop us winning it all.
    Or, Katz could use his access to pharma records or hire someone to get compromising photos of the right people.

Yup, I’m somewhat exasperated.

25. Rondo says:

Pierre-Luc Dubois sounds like a Chiarelli type player big and nasty. Also late birthday , plays all 3 forward positions and a goal scorer.

Chychrun had an incredible season as a 16 yr old, I think some scouts worry about his progression because of this year compared to last. He is one of the best skaters in the OHL and very strong , but once you get to the NHL you need a lot more .

He was ranked #2 at the beginning of the season.

26. hunter1909 says:

Justthestatsman: I don’t remember celebrating cups any less after Coffey was traded either. It doesn’t mean I hated the players after they were traded. I just wanted our boys too win. Do whatever you have to do, Pete. Just don’t screw it up!

Pete’s been doing a good job so far; adding big hulks like Maroon + Kassian to the talented but callow forward corps. Talbot’s been an excellent goaltender also.

I like the way Pete’s been sticking to his guns, essentially tanking the season to send a message to the rest of the NHL that either way, Oilers are getting the players they want.

Lately, the worst thing is reading trade proposals from the fans in a rush to lose the main “assets” so painfully got during the past decade; this reads like a scene from the Titanic with people trapped below decks(the fans) screaming.

Maybe someone can organise a “Ten Years Out of the Playoffs” party. Invite all of the 1st and 2nd round picks for a group photo, with Lowe+MacT in front of the Stanley Cup.

27. CrazyCoach says:

Woodguy:

Bonsoir from Paris gentlemen.

As the president of the Ethan Bear fanclub, I’m glad to see him doing well. He is a smooth skater. Great skill to have and it makes learning the game much easier. I hope he does well.

Haven’t seen a game, because they start at 3AM here. Not gonna do it!

And now I sleep.

28. Quinlan says:

Re: Dubois

Agreed that he is unlikely to supplant Tkachuk but he’s had a nice little run. Maybe if MTL ends up choosing in that slot, they go with a Quebec product to soothe the locals after a rough year.

Good chance that two of the better American prospects in recent years are going to end up in Canada – I wonder how much pull the League has in these situations.

29. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Would Backes come here? It just seems to me that other than the D he solves the most problems up front, and there are problems. He also wouldn’t cost assets in trade.

Skilled, right-handed, can win faceoffs, toiled under Hitch, hits and is a grade A asshole.

Bet bringing him in would do wonders for unicorns and protecting the kids as well. You could shift the four top six centres you have around freely across the top three lines.

30. JDï™ says:

CrazyCoach,

Most games show up here after: http://rutube.ru/video/person/979571/

31. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909’s Official Oilers 2016 Death March Update for 23.3.16

Oilers on pace for a 70 point finish.

That is all.

32. Ancient Oilers Fan says:

The recent article on Bear on the oilers site gives the season stats for prospects.

It shows Paigin as a forward

Big strong winger or defender. Either works.

33. Rondo says:

Quinlan: Tkachuk

Tkachuk December 11, 1997 plays with Mitch Marner and Dvorak looks more like a play maker LW

Pierre-luc Dubois June 24th 1998-a 195 days younger meaning he played 1 less season compared to Tkachuk, Looks like a goal scorer 42goals 62games plays C

If he has a good playoff I could see him as a #4 rank player

34. hunter1909 says:

Anyone checked the standings recently?

Oilers currently look like being in pole position to finish 30th. They’re coming through down the stretch like the 4x champions they are.

Let’s hope the Easter Bunny visits Kevin Lowe this spring. The one from Jersey City.

CrazyCoach: Bonsoir from Paris gentlemen.

As the president of the Ethan Bear fanclub, I’m glad to see him doing well.He is a smooth skater.Great skill to have and it makes learning the game much easier.I hope he does well.

Haven’t seen a game, because they start at 3AM here.Not gonna do it!

And now I sleep.

G’night CC.

Always appreciate when you chime in.

Even when you tell me I’m full of shit.

36. Rondo says:

According to Corey Pronman

In some of the biggest debates about top NHL draft prospects in recent years, one trend has been common among them. It existed in Connor McDavid vs. Jack Eichel, Taylor Hall vs. Tyler Seguin, Nathan MacKinnon vs. Seth Jones, Aaron Ekblad vs. Sam Reinhart and this draft season with Auston Matthews vs. Patrik Laine. One of these prospects played a full extra season of hockey prior to being drafted due to having a late birthdate, and the other didn’t.

Since I started doing work in the hockey prospect arena, the issue of late-birthdate prospects confounded me. After years of dealing with prospects, and doing recent research on the matter, I am convinced it is one of the most important quantitative factors that can go into prospect evaluations.

37. speeds says:

stush18:

I think they’ll move RNH if that happens.

Yes, that would be a pretty young top 3 C’s, although they wouldn’t be running 3 C’s under 20 (Draisaitl will be 21 in October, McDavid 20 in January, Matthews 19 when the season starts), but it wouldn’t exactly be the average team running its past 3 15OV 1st round picks at C.

38. square_wheels says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

While you were posting all those awesome pics over in the homeland, I was on the Backes soapbox.

He’s a prick, can score, block out the sun, C/RW…….he’s a perfect fit behind Drai and McD or as one of their wingers.

But he’s going on 30, is American and is the C of his team. Not sure we pay his rate, unless he is willing to do a short term high $$ without a NMC/NTC ?

39. Optimism is Foolish says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

I have mentioned this before as well. Trouble is his age combined with the style game he plays. If he comes on a short term deal then he would be a fantastic addition only to be overshadowed by the mythical top rhd we all want first.

40. Centre of attention says:

RE: Halls slump.

*sigh*

Why do I even bother…

41. magneto says:

In OTT, Melnyk calls out the team then Karlsson calls out the owner. Maybe there is a chance for a blockbuster?
    Hall+ 1 or 2 OV for Karlsson+ 10 or 11 OV
    Oilers add Reinhart as well?
    OTT down 3-0 right now

I am so bored with season, trade proposals are all I got!

42. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

square_wheels,

Optimism is Foolish,

Yes, thanks. All valid points.

But, and I think you’d agree, at some point the team needs to sign a 30 year old that can play and actually help push the kids down into easier roles.

Not another Hendricks type but someone up top who can play.

That guy will be the wrong side of 30 but the guys the right side of 30 who can play never hit free agency. At some point you have to bite the bullet.

Can’t keep throwing kids to the wolves. Draft Laine and throw him in there? Sound like draft Leon and throw him in there last year to you?

The definition of insanity is…

43. magneto says:

Centre of attention,

Yeah there was some people saying he wasn’t a “real captain” whatever that means.

44. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Centre of attention:
    RE: Halls slump.

*sigh*

Why do I even bother…

To my knowledge, going back to the last thread, no one here is blaming Hall. So I don’t understand the exasperation. All some people are doing is saying his play for the past 45games is not above criticism.

45. Klima's_Bucket says:

Centre of attention: John Tavares is on pace for his lowest point-per-game total since his rookie season. Do you hear Islander fans blaming him for their team possibly missing the playoffs? Do you think they call him the “problem”?

46. square_wheels says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

100% with you. Hell, I’d resign Teddy P in a heartbeat for the same reason.

Look at the Sharks, Wings, Colorado,Wild – surround your youth with vets and keep the roster balanced while also staying competitive.

I’m at the point where being competitive in the West is all I am asking for.

47. Caramel Batman says:

Klima’s_Bucket: Most Islanders people I talk to are pumped that Tavares is rounding out his defensive game and are not too concerned about his offence.

Scoring peaks early. It is very, very, common for top draft picks to have their best scoring seasons when they are 23 or 24 (or younger).

Tavares turned 25 in September.

Time waits on no man.

48. Centre of attention says:

Klima’s_Bucket,

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

It wasn’t directed at posters here, mainly twitter and other blogs/groups I am a part of.

I come here to vent because gentlemen like yourselves know what your talking about 😛 I guess I was looking for a friend.

Anyways, on the topic of this thread: I really like Laine. Even before the world juniors he was on my radar. Recent reports have me even more intrigued. Like I have been saying for awhile now, if I’m the Oilers I think long and hard about trading away #2. All bases must be covered.

49. speeds says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    square_wheels,

The definition of insanity is…

50. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Centre of attention:
    Klima’s_Bucket,

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Fair. Woodguy mentioned the same. I guess that’s why I just come here to get my Oilers fix and avoid twitter debates and all that.
    The average sports fan is going to give you a really average look at young men’s lives. Probably why I don’t bother reading the comments on TSN or Sportsnet pages either.

I guess in some ways I miss out, but it seems to mean less aggravation, too

Laine is a stud. And the Oilers don’t have any strong forward prospects of which to speak. Maybe Slepyshev. So I have no issues if they select him over one of the D.

51. Optimism is Foolish says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

I very much agree with you here, especially about Backes A right handed Center that can play the pp smyth style.

52. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

speeds: Doesn’t really sound like the same thing to me – the F’s around him would be better, also a position of less defensive responsibility, plus the possibility exists that he’s a better player than LD at the same age.

All possibly true. But I don’t think that completely invalidates my point that one or two heart-of-the-order vets ( one up front and one on the blue) are needed, do you?

53. Klima's_Bucket says:

Centre of attention: I come here to vent because gentlemen like yourselves know what your talking about I guess I was looking for a friend.

If you came here looking for a friend.
    Welcome.
    If you came here thinking I know what I’m talking about, you may have to keep looking….

55. Klima's_Bucket says:

I would love if Hall turned into a well rounded two way pisscutter like Hossa.

56. frjohnk says:

Klima’s_Bucket:

I would love if Hall turned into a well rounded two way pisscutter like Hossa.

I don’t have the link ( I’ll try and find it) but the scouting report from the 1997 hockey news on Hossa was that he was only good from the blue line in, didn’t know where the defensive zone was and was shy about going into the corners. He was a high risk pick and may never be an NHL player. Seriously, it said that.

Scout later got a job with the Oilers ( OK this part I made up :))

57. stush18 says:

speeds: I think they’ll move RNH if that happens.

I just can’t see rnh being moved at this point. I think chia realized how much space he gave the other two. Could we perhaps see…..

Taylor hall moved?!???? *gasp*

I’m basing his off of handedness, and the ability to net a profitable return. We could move pouliot, but like LT says, his actual value is more than his real value.

58. speeds says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

certainly can be useful to add those players, depending on the player and the contract.

59. Centre of attention says:

Klima’s_Bucket:

I would love if Hall turned into a well rounded two way pisscutter like Hossa.

It would be ideal, yes.

Lowetide: Last I checked, Hall and Tavares were marching closely in their NHL careers, so that is something to look for in 4 as we roll along. Nuge is unusual in that he has two-way tendencies at a young age, Hall may be more typical and develop those things later.

That is why I tweeted that Tavares stat at you, it seems they even slump the same years. I think Hall is trying to pick his spots a little more and he’s kind of stuck in between right now. He’s trying to evolve his game and I think once he figures it out and gains some confidence he should be back up over .9 ppg.

60. square_wheels says:

frjohnk,

I believe Hall desperately wants to win, how he contributes to that will become less about offence as soon as this team actually ices an NHL roster.

61. Klima's_Bucket says:

square_wheels: I have an inkling Hall becomes this player near the end of his deal, and like Hossa, will sign another moderate AAV contract to play on a perpetual powerhouse.

If by moderate, you mean a back diving, cap circumventing contract, then I think you’re onto something.

62. square_wheels says:

Klima’s_Bucket,

Of fucking course it will be Lombardi signing him.

63. square_wheels says:

Klima’s_Bucket,

25 year personal services contract for 2M/year ??? Sounds kosher.

64. square_wheels says:

Is anyone else watching Vinyl ? Bobby Cannavale is so great.

65. frjohnk says:

Hall
    Draisaitl
    Nuge
    1st overall

Which one of those would return the best Dman?

Getting Hamonic and Demers are definitely players that push us into the right direction, but they are not impact players and Id be very surprised we see both of them as Oilers next year. Just 1 of them is a small chance.

Take one of the impact assets we have upfront ( other than McDavid) and if the deal is there, put one of them into the deal to return an impact Dman that Hall, RNH and EBERLE have never had.

One of the major issues of the team is lack of balance. Majority of our impact players are at forward. That will change this summer.

66. hunter1909 says:

frjohnk: If the Oilers win the lottery, they have 4 significant assets they can put on the table to help balance the roster.
    Hall
    Draisaitl
    Nuge
    1st overall

Good analysis.

Hall: you simply never trade. Kevin Lowe would trade Hall, if that’s of any concern.

Draisraitl: Insane as this is, this is possible. Get set to watch a Mike Modano type career to the smart GM(Calgary comes to mind) that steals him.

Nuge: Impossible next season, due to the youth of the roster. See the Oilers fall off a cliff the day after he got injured. Lowetide always talked RNH up and I usually ignored him until this last time when the team literally fell from contending for 10th place in the West to even money for 30th, lol.

1st Overall Pick: Again, Kevin Lowe makes this trade.

67. Rondo says:

Vancouver may not win another game this season

68. Rondo says:

Woodguy:

From Steve’s site (via the link) :

Oh my.

That is why I don’t trade out of 1 or 2 and make room for them.

I heard “a bigger Jari Kurri”

A Finnish Ovechkin is ok too eh?

Jesse Puljujarvi

“His play at even strength did not match what he did with the man advantage, scoring only two ES goals in his last 31 games”

Draft Analyst

69. Aron_S says:

Woodguy,

Late to the party, but I wanted to chime in: do you recall when Marchant took him into the boards and cut Hatcher’s calf inadvertently? I always loved Todd and that moment was such beautiful karma.

Also, for those who know (particularly LT), what was the knock on Mangiapane that it took him so long to get drafted? I just looked at his stats and they’re marching in lock step with Eberle’s season at the same age. Flames might have gotten a steal here. I saw they signed him to a pro contract today.

One more, for those who mourn the loss of Barzal (myself included), he’s cooled off from a 1.7ppg down to a 1.5ppg player lately.

70. Tarkus says:

frjohnk: I don’t have the link ( I’ll try and find it) but the scouting report from the 1997 hockey news on Hossa was that he was only good from the blue line in, didn’t know where the defensive zone was and was shy about going into the corners.He was a high risk pick and may never be an NHL player.Seriously, it said that.

Scout later got a job with the Oilers ( OK this part I made up :))

That profile on Hossa sounds about right. I’ll also add that a scout remarked something like “[Hossa] would rather throw snow than take a hit”.

71. JDï™ says:

square_wheels: Is anyone else watching Vinyl

Just saw the first episode. Looks pretty good alright.

72. frjohnk says:

Tarkus: I have that ’97 THN draft preview (somewhere–the wyf likes to move stuff around and I can never find it again).

That profile on Hossa sounds about right.I’ll also add that a scout remarked something like “[Hossa] would rather throw snow than take a hit”.

yup.

I had a link that listed the top 30 players before they were drafted from 91 to 03 I think. But it looks like I erased it.

73. GMB3 says:

Centre of attention:
    RE: Halls slump.

*sigh*

Why do I even bother…

74. Tarkus says:

Success! The THN Hossa write-up:
    ———————-
    Marian Hossa is not for every NHL team.

The big Slovak is seen as a one-dimensional player.

Defensive hockey? Scouts aren’t sure it exists in the mind of the Dukla Trencin center who turned in some strong performances at the 1997 World Junior Championship.

“He’s a pure goal-scorer and he has terrific hockey sense”, one scout said. “He has decent size but his forte is his creativity.”

A clear and ever-present danger with the puck, a non-factor without it.

“From the blueline in, he’s good”, another scout said. “One of his strengths is his ability to find players with the puck in traffic. If a teammate is open, he’ll get him the puck.”

Which is not to suggest Hossa himself likes the heavy traffic. In fact, one NHL scout said he has repeatedly seen Hossa throw snow to avoid physical confrontation and seriously questions whether he can succeed in the NHL.

Hossa is a consensus first-rounder who could slip to the second.
    ———————————–

75. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

GMB3: I feel as though the difference is that NYI has actually experienced some success during Tavares career. Where as the Oilers have not. Not saying that’s on Hall either, obviously both were thrown into different situations.

The Islanders were, arguably, worse run than the Oilers before Snow turned things around.

There was talk around these parts of LT running a team comparison between the Islanders’ painful rebuild years and the Oilers’.
    It may be worthwhile to revisit that as a fun exercise while the season winds down
    What say you, LT?

76. frjohnk says:

Tarkus:
    Success!The THN Hossa write-up:
    ———————-
    Marian Hossa is not for every NHL team.

The big Slovak is seen as a one-dimensional player.

Defensive hockey?Scouts aren’t sure it exists in the mind of the Dukla Trencin center who turned in some strong performances at the 1997 World Junior Championship.

“He’s a pure goal-scorer and he has terrific hockey sense”, one scout said.“He has decent size but his forte is his creativity.”

A clear and ever-present danger with the puck, a non-factor without it.

“From the blueline in, he’s good”, another scout said.“One of his strengths is his ability to find players with the puck in traffic.If a teammate is open, he’ll get him the puck.”

Which is not to suggest Hossa himself likes the heavy traffic.In fact, one NHL scout said he has repeatedly seen Hossa throw snow to avoid physical confrontation and seriously questions whether he can succeed in the NHL.

Hossa is a consensus first-rounder who could slip to the second.
    ———————————–
    BTW, I have the THN draft previews from every year since 1995.I accept requests:)

Yup, that’s it.

Thanks.

77. GMB3 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Yeah agreed, but Hall had a few years with brutal management still where as Snow managed to right the ship in New York in less time

78. Klima's_Bucket says:

Tarkus: BTW, I have the THN draft previews from every year since 1995. I accept requests:)

May I request 2003??
    Marc-Antoine Pouliot & Zach Parise.

79. BAUCE says:

Centre of attention:
    RE: Halls slump.

*sigh*

Why do I even bother…

if the oilers had 87 points in 72 games and were +18GD no one would be talking about hall either.

80. Oilanderp says:

JDï™:
    CrazyCoach,

Most games show up here after: http://rutube.ru/video/person/979571/

Just wanted to say I love you. Very useful stuff.

On an unrelated side note: trade the pick at almost all costs. Get a fkn d-man u fools!

81. flyfish1168 says:

Watching Taylor, I believe he is trying to be more responsible. Yes he is a little snake bitten at the moment, I would be more concern if he wasn’t getting any chances which he is not. He will be OK. Just wait till we have a offensive d man that can head man the puck to him

82. Tarkus says:

Klima’s_Bucket: May I request 2003??
    Marc-Antoine Pouliot & Zach Parise.

You may!

————————-
    Zach Parise (#10 THN)

The Parise name conjures up memories of a hard-nosed forward. Zach’s dad, J.P. Parise, lasted 13 seasons mainly because of his competitiveness.

Zach is more talented than the old man. He’s creative with the puck and has a soft touch around the net. He enters the draft as the top offensive threat coming out of college. He put up a lot of points as a freshman, averaging almost 1.5 a game (61 pts. in 39 games).

A superb playmaker who had 101 assists in his final high school season, the most obvious trait inherited from his father is determination.

Said one college scout: “He is a star. He can do it all. He can skate. He is strong and I do not know what his knock is. He can do just about anything. He is a fantastic player. To me, he is magical. I think he is one of the best college players to come down the pipeline in years.”

The knock is his size (listed at 5’11”, 186). Parise does not have a thick body yet and time will tell whether he gets bigger and faster.

“I don’t see size as an issue”, said a scout. “His dad wasn’t big. Zach’s a competitor like his dad.”

———————————

Marc-Antoine Pouliot (#14 THN)

Most nights, Marc-Antoine Pouliot was the only reason scouts would take notice of the Rimouski Oceanic.

“He played on a poor team”, said one scout. “He had to do it all himself”.

Pouliot is a finesse player who pays attention to his end of the ice, an anomaly in the offense-minded Quebec League.

Part of the problem in assessing a good player on a bad team is judging his potential. In projecting Pouliot, scouts had to envision him with higher caliber linemates.

“You say to yourself, ‘What would he be like if he had two wingers'”, said a Quebec-based scout. “He would be a heckuva prospect.”

However, there were times when Pouliot wasn’t in the game, which prompted scouts to wonder if he was taking the night off.

“He has lots of talent and some nights he just didn’t use it”, said one scout.

“I’ve heard people question his skating, but never his heart”, said another scout. “He Has as good a work ethic as anyone in the draft. He’ll probably be a No. 2 center.”

——————————————–

BTW, I can’t seem to find my ’99 preview, so strike that from any potential requests.

83. AsiaOil says:

Was kind of sad watching Yak do a pretty good Yvon Cournoyer impression in the 3rd period last night. What could have been with a coach and team that actually cared about his development and success.

Free Yak.

84. hunter1909 says:

AsiaOil:

Free Yak.

“You know how the Russians are Craig. They boom around in the KHL up to the draft, then when we try everything under the Goddamned sun to get them to see straight, what do they do? Go whining to their agents!” Kevin Lowe

Aron_S:
    Woodguy,

Red Line on Mangiapane
    “Little engine that could is small and has never been considered a real prospect his whole life – not even for the OHL. But against all odds, has become one.”

86. G Money says:

“Peter Chiarelli and the Edmonton Oilers have announced that they have traded Kevin Lowe, Craig Mactavish, and Scott Howson to the Florida Panthers for one square foot of crocodile infested swamp land.”

Now THERE’S a legendary three for one we can all get behind!

I mean – one WHOLE square foot? Chia is a God!

*wakes up* *realizes it was all a dream* *drinks self back to sleep*

87. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

G Money:

Now THERE’S a legendary three for one we can all get behind!

I mean – one WHOLE square foot?Chia is a God!

*wakes up* *realizes it was all a dream* *drinks self back to sleep*

I was about to suggest you get some sleep. Good night, G.

88. monsterbater says:

Late evening thoughts while I take a break from the blackjack tables in Vegas.

– Trade nurse for hamonic. Love player nurse could become, but need player hamonic is more right now.
    – Trade our pick (assume 1 or 2) for savard, cbj 1st (assume 4-6) and another pick. I think based on history it could be as high as a 2nd. Depends on cbj valuation of savard
    – Draft chycrun or joulevi to replace nurse as developing prospect I’m McDavid cluster
    – Use 2 2nds and 3 3rds to move tip and down draft and acquire forward depth. This is the long term plan for replacement of expensive players with ELCs once McDavid is on his 2nd contract

This would drastically improve our defense immediately while only trading away a “prospect”, albeit a highly rated one. Is nurse a better prospect that chycrun or juolevi?

Am I too drunk on angry calamari and green door?

89. stevezie says:

speeds: I think they’ll move RNH if that happens.

This makes sense, but i continue to believe the low cap is going to make this summer different than most.

We may be able to acquire some assets at significant discounts, meaning we won’t have to move who we think we do. UFAs may also have to sign for less or have their options limited as to where they’re going.

As much as this season hurt, the Oil are set up fantastically for the summer.

90. theres oil in virginia says:

Because you people have such short memories:

But after that [press] conference, Chiarelli convinced the former Oilers coach of eight seasons and G.M. of two, to climb on a plane to Kelowna with him to go watch Oilers first round draft choice Leon Draisaitl play for the Rockets in the WHL playoff series against the Portland Winterhawks.

“He’ll be No. 2 in all aspects,” said Chiarelli.

“He’ll be my eyes and ears in all areas. I want to have strong people with strong opinions.”

Chiarelli expects it to work.

He also expects it will be very difficult for MacTavish in the beginning but that he’s the kind of individual who will make it work.

“I had real fresh knowledge about what it is like to be fired,” said Chiarelli, who was canned after nine years running the Boston Bruins, getting to two Stanley Cup Finals and winning one without missing the playoffs until this season.

“He was upset,” he said of MacTavish being bounced to make way for Chiarelli.

“I explained some of the ways I operate. I explained how much I’d like to have him in the mix and I’m glad he’s come around and decided to stay with us.”

So, if “the call is coming from inside the house” then Chiarelli dialed the number. Or he’s a liar.

91. kinger_OIL says:

Virginia says: “then Chiarelli dialed the number. Or he’s a liar”

– Of course he’s a liar. I get a kick out of those that do post-interview analysis. Coaches and GM’s have to lie. They lie for all kinds of reason. Except McT: He lied about stuff like getting Kruger help. But he told the truth about wanting to get rid of Hemsky before trade deadline, etc: just dumb.

– When you listen to Chia or McL: they are telling you what they want you to hear. And yes, for the most part they are lying. Any post or commentary or talking head dissecting what a coach or GM says about a player is just a waste of time: writing it, or reading or listening it. Sometimes they have interesting insight, but they are telling you anything they don’t want to. I thank Chia for that.

– Bob McCowen on the Fan says it best, he doesn’t like interviewing players or coaches, because “they don’t say anything.

92. Bruce McCurdy says:

Centre of attention:
    RE: Halls slump.

No, but in fairness I don’t spend hours a day reading & listening to Islanders’ fans. I’ll bet there are some wacky opinions in that forum also.

93. rickithebear says:

Rondo: Since I started doing work in the hockey prospect arena, the issue of late-birthdate prospects confounded me. After years of dealing with prospects, and doing recent research on the matter, I am convinced it is one of the most important quantitative factors that can go into prospect evaluations

Since Day 1: when Desjardins came out with Junior projections:
    He presented expected NHLE curves based on age.
    Like langes shot curves. low, med, high.
    It became instantly obvious.
    Age of prospect was a critical factor.
    that curve visualization thing I do.

It was clearly an age based NHLE. the septt birth NHLE was 50% less than the sept birth a year later.
    Draft year
    older mid Sept 50% of CHL production.
    to
    one year younger mid sept 75% of CHL production

divide 25% /12 months approx.021 bump each month.
    mid oct .521
    Mid NOV .542

This is were LT: and I have differed from day!.
    LT gives an NHLE for the year based on treating all player like they were the 1 yr older mid September player (50%) and ignores the 12 months of .021 bump to 75%.

Hall nov 14 .54 age NHLE
    57gm 40G 106P
    (106P/57gm) x .52 NHLE = 1.00 PPG x 82 gm = 82P
    40/106 = 37.7% goals
    82 x .377 = 31G
    age NHLE @ 22 = 82GM 31G 82P

Seguin jan 31 .585 NHLE
    63gm 48G 106P
    (106/63) X .585 = .98 PPG x 82 = 80/81 P
    48/106 = 45.3% goals
    81 X .453 = 37G
    age NHLE @ 22 = 82gm 37G 81P

Now the current diffrence in play is comp.
    Hall constatnantly faces the top 30 comp in the game.

While Seguin is kicking the Shite out of 2nd/3rds whenever possible.
    Draft +1 players are translatinging .4 to .5 of CHL points
    Draft +2 players are .35 to .40

LT: gives a single NHLE for the year.
    Leads a huge over valuing of the older players.

Gives a false belief that a sept draft +1 player with LT’s NHLE of 34P is the same as a late Aug birth player with the exact same 34P NHLE

the one player is 2 years older than the other.
    Desjardins data shows
    the young player to be 51P NHLE
    the older player to be 27 P NHLE

Like LT I look at Even production of the draft eligble players.

the PP results are often not transferable. It is refelective of coached system and PPTOI.

Only even play is highly transferable.
    Plus Even Goal scoring is the most pocession and performance effiecient players to grab in the draft. you take a 19+ EVG projected player.
    you are grabbing a top 40 EVg scorer.

Guys like Senyshyn 21 EVG, Gabrielle 20 EVG; Debrusk 19 EVG

Math/analytics said grab these top 10 in draft even goal scorers.
    BOSTON WITHOUT PC DID THAT!

BOSTON KEPT THE ANALYTICS GUY!

WE GOT THE GUY WHO MIVED OUT MARINCIN AND LIKE KORPIKOSKI AND LETESTU.

WE ARE FUCKED!

94. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

rickithebear,

Thanks, Ricki. Agree that big age gap in the draft year matters.
    Eichel was older.
    Same for Matthews this year.

Scouts do rave about Matthews’ all-around game and it’s not so much about NHLE in his case as they are projecting him as a Toews type 2-way guy. It’s interesting to see how it will play out.

95. rickithebear says:

Mangiapane: draft +2 .368 age NHLE
    68gm 51G 55A 106P
    68gm 33 EVG 20 EVA 53 EVP

Age NHLE says:
    82gm 23G 24 A 47P

Even age NHLE says
    14 EVG 9 EVA 23 EVP

So we are to believe he
    will be 23 EVP and 24 PPP as a player.

Only trust Even CHL performance!

theres oil in virginia:
    Because you people have such short memories:

“He’ll be No. 2 in all aspects,” said Chiarelli.

Chiarelli expects it to work.

“He was upset,” he said of MacTavish being bounced to make way for Chiarelli.

So, if “the call is coming from inside the house” then Chiarelli dialed the number.Or he’s a liar.

Keep your friends close. Keep your enemies closer.