A RATIONAL LOOK AT PROSPECT ETA’S

Every spring and summer,  we talk about ‘the Detroit model’ and every fall the Oilers employ teenagers and new professionals. Every fall, we talk about the importance of the minor league kids getting playing time, and every spring we talk about the lack of development due to inactivity. One thing I do believe in: estimating ETA for prospects based on their most recent seasons. Last year’s look is here, and here is this spring. Any prospect appearing in Bakersfield makes the list.

READY NOW

1. C Leon Draisaitl. Spent just six games in Bakersfield, and then caught fire in the NHL, now standing at 69, 18-32-50 in what has been a highly successful season. Turns 21 in October, should be an NHL top 6F for more than a decade running.
  2. D Darnell Nurse. He would have benefited from a much longer AHL run, but spent his rookie pro season in the NHL (66, 2-7-9). Several math folks have mentioned improved play by number, I have not seen it but he does look impressive during games. A human change in the weather for Oilers opponents, good lord it has been a decade since Edmonton had this kind of crank on the back end.
  3. R Tyler Pitlick. He is 35, 7-14-21 this year and 194, 28-57-85 overall. Pitlick has kind of been at this spot for years, but injuries robbed him of chances and now he is so many GMs removed from his draft day one wonders if anyone really knows him. Could be an expansion draft candidate as a free agent, if I were him I would try to gain freedom in time for that draft.

ANY DAY NOW

1. D Griffin Reinhart. His NHL run now is much better than earlier in the year, but there are some issues—including the bonus dollars and cap implications. A healthy Oilers team probably starts him in Bakersfield this fall and has GR as one of the early potential recalls.
  2. G Laurent Brossoit. Another strong AHL season has been followed by an uneven audition period in the NHL. Edmonton signed him to a one-way deal late in the season, suspect they will hire some insurance before training camp. I think he is close, but the audition has been a concern.
  3. C Jujhar Khaira. He is 40, 10-16-26 this year in the AHL, and 97, 14-22-36 overall. A lot of his ranking comes from the impressive NHL showing, big guy with grit and some idea about what he is doing. I like the fact they sent him back—see if he can post a little offense. Could make opening night but more likely a mid-season callup.
  4. C Bogdan Yakimov. It is hard to suss out the Yakimov story. He has not been stellar in the AHL, and he bolted to the KHL mid-season (and was injured). On the other hand, I can tell you at least one person in the NHL community I have spoken to is/was genuinely surprised Yakimov didn’t spend the season in the NHL.
  5. D David Musil. Confounding story, he has played three AHL seasons, shown progress, and is blocked so badly he is basically a canary in a coal mine. Scott Zerr named him as the best defender in Bakersfield, and I believe him. Musil is a smart defender and effective in a shutdown role in the AHL. He is also blocked by any number of lefty defenders in Edmonton. Suspect he (or others) are heading out of town.

ONE MORE YEAR (OR LESS)

1. D Jordan Oesterle. He has been in the NHL a bit this year (14, 0-5-5) and his AHL numbers this year (42, 3-20-23) and overall (111, 12-37-49) are solid-to-good. He might be an early recall candidate in 2016-17, don’t think he will make the club out of camp. A nice signing by Craig MacTavish.
  2. R Anton Slepyshev. Big winger has had a weird season, NHL and AHL time. I hope he hangs around for another year, there are things to like about his skill and the Oilers are not overrun with wingers who can play even a complementary role offensively.
  3. D Dillon Simpson. I like his season, but if there was a 1.5 years or less category that would be perfect. Subtle game, his offense is a little better than you would think and it appears he is learning the pro game slowly but surely. Determined player, he is making progress.

TWO MORE YEARS (OR LESS)

1. D Joey Laleggia. It is tough to gauge these players, but in the case of Laleggia there does appear to be enough offense to merit NHL discussion. Questions about him surround coverage and ability to win battles. He is a new pro, but turns 24 in June, so time is of the essence.
  2. L Mitch Moroz. Another half season for Moroz, who in fairness to the organization has had some issues staying healthy. I think he is exactly the player type Chiarelli will value, although Moroz has to get in there and earn the job. He is certainly in the right organization to get a push.
  3. C Kyle Platzer. He has shown progress, despite playing in only 40 games as a new pro. He has the look of a two-way player, one hopes for an offensive spike in year two. This is the kind of thing that gets the Oilers in trouble in my opinion—Platzer has played half a season in a full one. I am not aware of a team having great success via slow playing their prospects.
  4. LW Josh Winquist. He is 30, 8-20-28 this year in Bakersfield and 77, 16-31-47 in his AHL career. He is unsigned by Edmonton, so could become a free agent this summer. Although the Oilers don’t have him on their 50-man list, he is a more substantial prospect than many under their control.
  5. LW Kale Kessy. I have him in the same spot as last season, seems to me he ran in place despite good health this year. At the beginning of 2014-15, lots of chatter about him an increased foot speed, but not much shaking these days.

THREE MORE YEARS (OR LESS)

1. C Marco Roy. As is the case with so many Bakersfield kids, he isn’t really playing enough to be noticed good or bad. Played in 45 games in two leagues as a rookie pro. Porridge development.
  2. R Greg Chase. Not certain what happened to him this year, looks like he simply wasn’t given an opportunity. Chase performed well in the AHL (19, 1-6-7) compared to many of the kids who played more. I wonder if this season was designed to get his attention.
  3. L Braden Christoffer. After a fantastic TC and winning an NHL deal, Christoffer didn’t have an easy time in pro (the Oilers lead the AHL in half-seasons by prospects). No idea where he is as a hockey player based on 30 AHL games, but will guess it isn’t good.
  4. D Ben Betker. I think the Oilers may have felt a season in the ECHL was the best way to develop him, allow him to figure out the speed of pro hockey. A bigger test will come next year.
  5. Eetu Laurikainen. A .906SP in the AHL isn’t going to turn heads, but he was effective in Finland and deserves at least a season of AHL duty before the team makes a decision.

One final note: Of course it goes without saying that many of these players will not play in the NHL. A good way at looking at this list: If a player is ready now, and not in the NHL, that is not a good thing. As well, if a player has been playing pro for three years and is still two years away? Yeah. Not so good.

92 Responses to "A RATIONAL LOOK AT PROSPECT ETA’S"

1. LMHF#1 says:

Khaira is more ready than Pitlick. Showed better in the NHL and isn’t brittle/cursed.

LMHF#1:

3. Centre of attention says:

Bakersfield Condors ‏@Condors 2m2 minutes ago
    DEFENSE:
    Simpson – Hunt
    LaLeggia – Musil
    Betker – Pageau

Simpson getting a bit of a push? Or is that just how bad Bakersfields D core is? Lordy.

4. Centre of attention says:

Brennan Klak
    ‏@nhlupdate
    Per Bob McKenzie, 12+ teams are interested in Yale goalie Alex Lyon, one of those teams is the Edmonton Oilers.

Twitter machine is on fire today, if I had a nickle for every FA goalie EDM was potentially interested in…

5. Stelio Kontos says:

Lowetide: Meh. Pitlick has been ready for years, he just isn’t good enough to play for the Oilers. An expansion draft may help.

6. Kepler62 says:

Then who is he good enough to play for?

7. Stelio Kontos says:

“but if there was a 1.5 years or less category that would be perfect”

I don’t understand. Who made the categories?

8. stush18 says:

Kepler62:

Then who is he good enough to play for?

I think he is good enough as a fourth line guy if he could stay healthy. I would have him in my time if expansion picked our team apart

9. RexLibris says:

Looked over the list here and then scanned EliteProspects’ list of 2016 eligible players.

Slim pickings this year compared to some I’ve seen in previous years.

It is going to take some eagle-eyed scouts to find value in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds. Not that you couldn’t find someone or a player may slide because they are 5’7″, 160lbs, but you aren’t likely getting a Bjorkstrand or Mangiapane in the 6th round.

The Oilers need to restock the cupboard but I’m not sure this is the year to do it.

Here is the list of current Oilers’ amateur scouts, some of the names are familiar, not necessarily for all the right reasons:

BOB BROWN
    MICHAEL CHIARELLI
    JIM CROSSON
    JOSEPH CUCCI
    BILL DANDY
    PELLE EKLUND
    SCOTT HARLOW
    DAVE HEITZ
    JAMES MCGREGOR
    FRANK MUSIL
    ALEXANDER NAUROV

I’ve put in bold the ones I believe were retained from the previous group.

10. rickithebear says:

// His NHL run now is much better than earlier in the year,//

Reinhart
    Oct-NOV 11.20 HSCA/60

Feb-Mar 15.80 HSCA/60

Ah!

Yeah!

I think were going to have to move your point of view!

I’ll take that stapler!

Stelio Kontos: Don’t know if there are enough cities in the world for Pitlick to find a spot through expansion.

Pitlick lost his job to Pakarinen, which shouldn’t happen if you are good, but I don’t think the gap between the two is massive. Pakarinen is more durable, impressed the coach and may have a hair more offense. That is not a massive gap. Luck played an enormous part.

Stelio Kontos:
    “but if there was a 1.5 years or less category that would be perfect”

I don’t understand. Who made the categories?

I did. A year ago. The giant boot came down and we cannot change it. 🙂

13. Professor Q says:

Lowetide: I did. A year ago. The giant boot came down and we cannot change it.

Technically 1.5 years or less would be included in 2 years or less.

Professor Q: Technically 1.5 years or less would be included in 2 years or less.

The boot has spoken!

15. AsiaOil says:

Lowetide: he just isn’t good enough to play for the Oilers.

AsiaOil: That’s pretty much a death sentence for Pitlick as a NHL player given the quality of the Oilers since he was drafted.

It is on RW now, for sure. That said, Edmonton does have a nice group of forwards overall, so it isn’t like the Oilers have an expansion team. An expansion team will have far fewer resources. I don’t see a path to the NHL for Pitlick w/o expansion, and even then maybe not.

17. Yak Efron says:

I know it’s a complete break from tradition, but is it too late to suggests an RE series based off of Sunny episodes?

Yak Efron:

Haha. Oh my.

//D David Musil. Confounding story, he has played three AHL seasons, shown progress, and is blocked so badly he is basically a canary in a coal mine. Scott Zerr named him as the best defender in Bakersfield, and I believe him. Musil is a smart defender and effective in a shutdown role in the AHL. He is also blocked by any number of lefty defenders in Edmonton. Suspect he (or others) are heading out of town.//

Why send cheap depth, and an AHL mentor for young D out of town?

Musil is now “Scott Ferguson”. A defensive D tweener ready to more than adequately fill in on the 3rd pairing in case of injury.

He has been perfectly “Detroit-modelled” and you want to dump him just as he finally has become useful.

If someone offer a 2nd round pick, okay, one considers trading him. But he has good value as the AHL anchor D, and NHL depth defender.

Centre of attention:
    Bakersfield Condors ‏@Condors2m2 minutes ago
    DEFENSE:
    Simpson – Hunt
    LaLeggia – Musil
    Betker – Pageau

Hunt and Laleggia can’t play defense so one has to pair them with a defensemen who can. Musil has been mentoring AHL rookies on D since he was an AHL rookie himself.

godot10:

I often read this kind of comment and then go back up to read what I said, thinking ‘wow, I must have said something outrageous to get that response. Here is what I wrote:

======

WHERE DOES IT SAY I WANT TO DUMP HIM???? PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME.

22. Professor Q says:

I think it’s simply with all the ubiquitous trade proposals without regard for Edmonton’s actual state and how they got there and how they’re finally doing right in some ways but all of a sudden being pestered by fans to tear it down again and ruin it all etc.

Frustration and misreading?

WHERE DOES IT SAY I WANT TO DUMP HIM???? PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME.

You were damning him with faint praise, IMHO. The guys you want to keep (or acquire) you positively assert that they should be kept (or acquired). The guys you don’t want to keep, you do what you did to Musil.

24. square_wheels says:

Going back to the first thing in the am post, someone mentioned early in the thread that Maroon took the puck at the end of the game cuz the Ducks wanted it…..what did they want it for ?

LT retweeted the Duncan Keith/ Charlie Coyle incident, what’s the group think on the match penalty ?

I think if you slew foot (sp?) anybody they have the right to tomahawk you. You also have to be ok with your match penalty, because Garry doesn’t want his precious league image tarnished by retribution face punching.

You do that to McDavid and I would think the entire bench would clear and murder Coyle.

25. jp says:

I was just perusing some stats at NHL.com.

The Oilers have 6 forwards in the top 90 in points per game.

That is, the Oilers currently have 6 players who have performed at first line scoring rates. Pretty nice.

But how then is the team 26th in GF/game?

I know injuries. 111 games lost among this group (including Drai in the minors).

And the depth scoring has been very poor.

But it’s still amazing that with this top end skill (that’s performing based on PPG), that the Oilers can find themselves near the bottom of the league in scoring.

26. steveb12344 says:

square_wheels:

He said The Ducks have a thing in their dressing room where the grab the game puck after wins and hang them on the wall for some kind of motivational display.

He grabbed it, refused to give it to them and brought it back to The Oilers room and threw it in the garbage.

He laughed “I guess they’ll have to find another puck”

Awesome… I love him already!

27. Klima's_Bucket says:

Speaking of rational.
    What is the NHL’s rationale for high-sticking the puck?

If you high stick the puck at even strength or short-handed in the opposition’s end the face-off comes outside the opposing team’s blue line.

If you high stick the puck on the power play the face-off goes all the way back in your end.

In a league starved for offense, why is this??

28. square_wheels says:

steveb12344,

That is my kind of move, love it.

Then again, my other move would be to elbow someone in the face if they did what Coyle did to Keith.

Never let assholes think your the guy they can pull that shit on.

29. Clay says:

square_wheels:

Clear dirty play by Coyle, and if Keith gives him a two hander across the back of the legs, I’m all for it.

A wild slash to the face though – especially from that angle so it comes up under the visor – you could damage an eye and end the guy’s career.

30. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    Speaking of rational.
    What is the NHL’s rationale for high-sticking the puck?

In a league starved for offense, why is this??

Risk of injury.

31. steveb12344 says:

jp:
    I was just perusing some stats at NHL.com.

The Oilers have 6 forwards in the top 90 in points per game.

But how then is the team 26th in GF/game?

And the depth scoring has been very poor.

Have you looked at the scoring from the back end?

Problem is that when they go on offence, they are usually playing 3 vs 5.

That’s why as much as Hamonic would be a nice add, he’d more of a Fayne upgrade. He brings little to the offensive side of the game.

This is why I believe that if they are going to get just one new RD, it needs to be one with some serious offensive pedigree. Someone from the Vatanen, Shattenkirk, Barrie tree.

I think this is why Jultz got so much rope here. They desperately need what he was projected to be.

Now if they can secure this player type, then replace Fayne with Hamonic. They’ll be cooking with Crisco!

32. AsiaOil says:

So we have 67 points and only 3 games left. Max total is 73. So the #7 pick is already sealed, and with everyone else having 6 or 7 games remaining compared to our 3, you have to think we finish no better than 3rd from the bottom ahead of only TOR and VAN even if we win our last 3 which would not be surprising at all.

33. square_wheels says:

Clay,

I’d ensure I’d aim for anywhere but his face. Side of the head is fine.

Those kind of falls backwards…..I’ve dislocated my shoulder, broke my elbow and had a concussion from near identical plays.

AND I really like both players.

34. kevin says:

LMHF#1: D Griffin Reinhart. His NHL run now is much better than earlier in the year, but there are some issues—including the bonus dollars and cap implications. A healthy Oilers team probably starts him in Bakersfield this fall and has GR as one of the early potential recalls.

I have read here about the bonus dollars and cap implications before. Approx. what would his bonus be if he were to play 70 games next year as a 3rd pairing dman? Why would his agent have him sign a contract that makes it difficult to get a foot hold in the NHL?

35. Romulus Apotheosis says:

godot10:

Why send cheap depth, and an AHL mentor for young D out of town?

Musil is now “Scott Ferguson”.A defensive D tweener ready to more than adequately fill in on the 3rd pairing in case of injury.

If someone offer a 2nd round pick, okay, one considers trading him.But he has good value as the AHL anchor D, and NHL depth defender.

A couple of things…

LT switches voice in his writings often. You’re not the first to miss the action.

Sometimes LT is saying: “I, LT, want this…”

Sometimes LT is saying: “A reasonable person could want this…”

Sometimes LT is saying: “It seems like So-and-so wants this…”

Sometimes LT is saying: “Given what we know, this seems likely… regardless of who wants what”

———
    Sidebar, also on Musil: he’s going to need a new contract (not a real problem) and he’ll be waivers exposed next year.

36. Klima's_Bucket says:

Romulus Apotheosis: Risk of injury.

And there’s no risk of injury at even strength or shorthanded???
    Why the difference???

37. MrEd says:

jp,

Another stat anomaly is that Nurse has 115 shots.

38. Mr DeBakey says:

godot10: You were damning him with faint praise, IMHO.The guys you want to keep (or acquire) you positively assert that they should be kept (or acquired).The guys you don’t want to keep, you do what you did to Musil.

I’m with you on the vast majority of your comments, but I think you missed the boat here.
    Actually, I don’t think it.
    No one here has done anything to Musil.

No one, I hope, would be disappointed if the Oilers re-sign young Musil for D depth.

In addition to re-signing Musil, I hope the Oilers sign Macoy Erkamps, Jan Rutta, Marcus Högström and Sam Lofquist for D depth.

39. Professor Q says:

square_wheels:

LT retweeted the Duncan Keith/ Charlie Dole incident, what’s the group think on the match penalty ?

I think if you slew foot (sp?) anybody thry have the right to tomahawk you. You also have to be ok with your match penalty, because Garry doesn’t want his precious league image tarnished by retribution face punching.

Unfortunately not for Hall, though. Thrice plus in one game, no calls, no retaliation?!

Moroz has a goal, Condors down 4-1. This team isn’t going to make the playoffs.

41. Professor Q says:

Clay: Ya, I have no problem with what Keith did IF he slashes Coyle anywhere but the face.

And wasn’t there an NHLer who did just that as retaliation and got kicked out of he NHL?

42. JDï™ says:

Lowetide: This team isn’t going to make the playoffs.

Missing the post season in both leagues. That’s a paddlin’.

43. jp says:

MrEd:
    jp,

Another stat anomaly is that Nurse has 115 shots.

Haha. Is that the anomaly? Or is it that he has just 2 goals and 9 points?

I was thinking the other day how that unfavorable projection of Nurse’s rookie offense (that WG? did) would look a lot better if it included shots, or was based entirely on shots.

There certainly is some form of anomaly there though.

44. Professor Q says:

Which is unfortunate.

Nurse and Reinhart could have benefited!

45. Ducey says:

Moroz has a goal, Condors down 4-1. This team isn’t going to make the playoffs.

The goaling is killing them.

46. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Klima's_Bucket: And there’s no risk of injury at even strength or shorthanded???
    Why the difference???

I’m not sure what’s confusing about this.

The idea is to strip the action of any incentive, within reason, and thus to reduce the risk of injury. The logic is simply carried forward when you are on the PP.

JDï™:
    Professor Q,

Ugly moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbTPFo6znZo

That was awful and I love Marty.

48. McSorley33 says:

Toronto wins…

49. Klima's_Bucket says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I’m not sure what’s confusing about this.

It’s confusing because the penalty is worse when on the PP.

50. Klima's_Bucket says:

McSorley33: Toronto wins…

Babcock calling out the officials has worked wonders.

51. jp says:

steveb12344: Have you looked at the scoring from the back end?

Problem is that when they go on offence, they are usually playing 3 vs 5.

That’s why as much as Hamonic would be a nice add, he’d more of a Fayne upgrade.He brings little to the offensive side of the game.

This is why I believe that if they are going to get just one new RD, it needs to be one with some serious offensive pedigree.Someone from the Vatanen, Shattenkirk, Barrie tree.

I think this is why Jultz got so much rope here.They desperately need what he was projected to be.

Now if they can secure this player type, then replace Fayne with Hamonic.They’ll be cooking with Crisco!

Yeah, I forgot to list that. I 100% agree it’s a weakness, and an offensive guy back there would be a huge help.

But even without support the forwards are scoring. They did score this year. So the disconnect between the top 6 and overall team performance remains very weird.

Also, for what it’s worth, Klefbom (if you include him – I initially set the threshold for forwards at 30GP) and Sekera are both in the top 60/first pairing for PPG among defensemen. They’re at the lower end, but they are bringing some offense.

52. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Klima’s_Bucket: It’s confusing because the penalty is worse when on the PP.

Why is that confusing?

The goal is to decrease the risk of injury. You use the stick of mild punishment to curb behavior. And, when a team has a number advantage they get an additional mild punishment to re-enforce the desired outcomes.

53. Bank Shot says:

Ducey: The goaling is killing them.

It baffles my mind that they didn’t leave Brossoit down there. He isn’t waiver eligible next season. Why are they trying to cram him into the NHL?

Things in management remain the same.

54. MrEd says:

If Nurse is Gator where does that land him in the line-up? Top 4 or 6?

55. kinger_OIL says:

– I wonder what is the % likelihood that the Oil finish last? Has to be over 80% doesn’t it?

56. MrEd says:

Holy. Keith just screwed the league.

Moroz has a goal, Condors down 4-1. This team isn’t going to make the playoffs.

Maybe they should hire more vets.

Assholes.

58. square_wheels says:

Professor Q,

Taylor Hall needs to get dirty. If Kesler wants to play that way, Glen Andersen his ass. Taylor skates fast enough to hammer guys on the back check and I think he needs a rep with asshats that he will push back.

59. Professor Q says:

square_wheels,

I’m just worried that Kesler would still get away with it and Hall would get extra penalised.

Something is a Fowler. ?

60. square_wheels says:

Professor Q,

I find it odd that every player in the league knows who the cheap, dirty slew foot, blindside asshats are but nothing is done to remind them it’s not acceptable.

The Kessler’s of the game are no longer “managed”, so when players get fed up with dirty plays they boil over. It doesn’t matter that Keith is a superstar, he’s getting a long suspension.

But Keith did that because Coyle is allowed to pull that shit in Bettman’s NHL.

The NHL can’t have it both ways – let the players enforce their unwritten rules or suspend a perennial Norris candidate for finally addressing it in anger.

MrEd:
    If Nurse is Gator where does that land him in the line-up?Top 4 or 6?

He was top 4D in Edmonton, but the world has changed. Nurse will play top 4D imo in his prime, don’t know how much of the career bell curve that will be.

62. Professor Q says:

square_wheels,

Keith is a dirty player as well, though, and a repeat offender.

63. square_wheels says:

Professor Q,

“I think he might get 5 mins ?” – holy shit, that’s some macabre humour or one stupid Analyst.

Hollweg deserved a pretty solid punch in the face, but the chop to his teeth was pretty next level. But he did hit Chris Simon from behind then skated back for more on a vulnerable player.

Having had my bell rung on dirty plays more than I can count, when you shake it off , the first person that crosses your path is getting hacked just for being on the other team.

If you play a violent sport you can be a mean prick but you must back up your bullshit or always do it clean and against willing combatants. Cheap shit gets zero sympathy from this guy.

64. square_wheels says:

Professor Q,

Dirty player or someone who brings a gun to the knife fight ? The worst players in the league are the ones that hack, slash, board, blindside elbow but never back their antics with anything legit.

If Keith is dirty, does that make Hall dirty for hacking guys after he’s been collared by classless Kessler ?

65. Chachi says:

Woodguy: Maybe they should hire more vets.

Assholes.

No offense to the good people of Bakersfield, but hopefully the farm team is used as exclusively as possible to develop young players next year, playoffs be damned. No more Hamiltons, Fords or Hunts taking playing time away from developing players please. I understand that you will want some vets around to show the kids how to be pros, but they cannot give them feature roles anymore if they want to make the most of the farm team.

66. Centre of attention says:

Anyone see these leaked emails?

The NHL should be embarrassed.

Centre of attention:
    Anyone see these leaked emails?

The NHL should be embarrassed.

I am reading them and am in shock. Holy lord.

68. Centre of attention says:

yost is tweeting out some good stuff. the inner workings of the NHL do indeed resemble HF boards

69. G Money says:

Centre of attention,

True story: I am not surprised at all.

You guys know how low my opinion is of the NHL as an institution, especially of the subhumans who run the thing. They are incompetent scumbags.

Literally, the ONLY thing that could shock me in an NHL email is if they actually arrange to put a hit on someone – and that’s a maybe on the shock.

70. Centre of attention says:

G Money,

I smell lawsuits.

71. Chachi says:

After reading those e-mails it makes you wonder how long Colin Campbell can keep his job with the league. Then again, he survived the embarrassment of the e-mails Dellow drew attention to that revealed him to be a petty bully so he may just keep skating along.

72. Bank Shot says:

Chachi: No offense to the good people of Bakersfield, but hopefully the farm team is used as exclusively as possible to develop young players next year, playoffs be damned.No more Hamiltons, Fords or Hunts taking playing time away from developing players please. I understand that you will want some vets around to show the kids how to be pros, but they cannot give them feature roles anymore if they want to make the most of the farm team.

Oilers play all of their decent prospects on the NHL team though.

I think there has to be a balance. If the prospects the Oilers have can’t handle 1st line ice time, its not going to do them any good getting their heads kicked in.

73. AsiaOil says:

G Money:
    Centre of attention,

True story: I am not surprised at all.

You guys know how low my opinion is of the NHL as an institution, especially of the subhumans who run the thing.They are incompetent scumbags.

Wow G … you are making me look mellow….and you are absolutely correct about the low-brows who run the NHL.

74. Chachi says:

Bank Shot: Oilers play all of their decent prospects on the NHL team though.

What good is it sitting a prospect for half the games in a season while Ryan Hamilton, who has no hope of ever helping at the nhl level is playing a regular shift. If a prospect is finished their junior or college eligibility and is getting their “head kicked in” for any length of time they are not much of a prospect.

75. JDï™ says:

Centre of attention:
    G Money,

I smell lawsuits.

Try smelling salts instead.

76. G Money says:

AsiaOil,

Well ya know, I’ve been *trying* to mellow out the last few weeks, and you’ve been getting in some pretty fun dustups, so I didn’t want anyone to think I was going soft!

77. Hockey Buddha says:

To be honest, I’m a little surprised that Musil hasn’t even been given a sniff this season (given that his play during his call up last season did not really look all that out of place), but as you say, Lowetide, Musil is blocked by a number of other left-handed defenders within the organization, who are being given a push. Reinhart, for example, is going to be given every opportunity to succeed over Musil, as he is Chiarelli’s personal acquisition. This is not a knock on Reinhart, but a reality. I do, however, think that Musil should have at least warranted an opportunity to eyeball him at this level before the end of the season. I don’t think he is getting his audition this season. Musil just might suprise some people at TC and create a few more questions. At any rate, we’ll see Musil perhaps get a chance, barring a trade over the summer.

78. Professor Q says:

G Money:
    Centre of attention,

True story: I am not surprised at all.

We knew about this 7 years ago (and probably before) and no one did anything.

Now look at where we are.

As for the hits on people, haven’t those really already happened? Like asks for inurying greatly but not full out murder (although who knows about that…obviously there have been NHLers who have)?

I’ve only read a few of the emails and these people come across as corrupt, incompetent, stubborn, and just overall terrible people.

79. Frank the dog says:

Sorry I’m late to the party here does anyone have a link to these emails? Ass
    So these reveal the bias I have been obsessing about or is someone just being an asshole?

80. hunter1909 says:

I bet the California Seals didn’t get much respect either.

81. square_wheels says:

Professor Q,

Don’t forget – Running a successful multi-billion $ business – from their accolades.

A good legal team is getting NFL $ out of these ass clowns and quite frankly, I won’t be surprised to see criminal charges talked about.

I’m with G, I wish I was shocked by this revelation, but for the most part, when you run a business predominately on nepotism, you shouldn’t be shocked by these type of bafoons.

82. hunter1909 says:

G Money: Literally, the ONLY thing that could shock me in an NHL email is if they actually arrange to put a hit on someone

Nail says hello.

83. GCW_69 says:

RexLibris:

Slim pickings this year compared to some I’ve seen in previous years.

BOB BROWN
    MICHAEL CHIARELLI
    JIM CROSSON
    JOSEPH CUCCI
    BILL DANDY
    PELLE EKLUND
    SCOTT HARLOW
    DAVE HEITZ
    JAMES MCGREGOR
    FRANK MUSIL
    ALEXANDER NAUROV

I’ve put in bold the ones I believe were retained from the previous group.

Bob Brown is from the prior group, I believe.

84. monsterbater says:

i am just searching these emails to find any traces of NHL conspiring against the Oilers…. I KNOW IT’S IN THERE

85. Norman Greenbaum says:

G Money: You guys know how low my opinion is of the NHL as an institution, especially of the subhumans who run the thing.

I told you guys they were lizard-men, but noooo, you wouldn’t listen.

86. Water Fire says:

I didn’t find the emails said anything new. They obviously have no interest in changing anything at the league level, and don’t care with any passion about the game or the players, if they ever have.

It’s typical corporate callousness, externalize costs. Gary will change nothing because his job is to grow revenues and they are growing, the golden boy has no incentive to mess with the golden goose.

It is up to the owners if change is going to happen, they call the shots. Of all the discussion about changes to the game to make it more entertaining, all that is necessary is to limit equipment and actually call the rules in a consistent manner. And an earnest drug policy. That’s all it would take. Widening the ice would help as well but few owners will give up revenue so that’s not happening.

For significant change it will take a crisis that lasts long enough to get enough owners worried and changes through before they revert to normal. So either a lawsuit with teeth or declining interest in the game.

87. Bruce McCurdy says:

Kris King (paraphrased): “Today’s soft players don’t mind taking a week’s vacation while back in my day we were worried about ice time and even our jobs.”

Bitter old men have been saying shit like this since forever. And every single one of them was full of shit when he said it.

Hey Kris, maybe the reason you were fighting for your job was you weren’t very good at hockey.

Good enough to get a job in NHL head office, however. Which doesn’t seem to take a whole hell of a lot.

My post was a joke.

I have a long history of stating that the AHL team’s results don’t matter, just the TOI for the prospects matter.

89. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woodguy: My post was a joke.

Yeah, Woodguy is the undefeated champion at making the very case you are making, Chachi. Sometimes he uses sarcasm as a method to make his point. (Hard to believe, I realize, but it’s true!)

90. Chachi says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Woodguy,

Yup, I have been a long time reader and agree with Woodguy, just venting because it seems like they have been employing vets at the expense of prospects playing time for far too long.