G80 2015-16: FLAMES AT OILERS

Saturday. HNIC. Battle of Alberta. There was a time when you could feel the excitement building early in the day. There was no sports radio then, but the EJ and the Sun would have all the coverage—mostly reminding us of past battles, possibly listing suspensions during the season that came from the Oilers-Flames ongoing war. And it was a war, and that’s for sure.

• Mark Messier, Boxing Day 1984: Suspended 10 games by NHL for cracking Jamie Macoun’s cheekbone in a fight during Edmonton’s Dec. 26, 1984, game at Calgary. Messier was retaliating for having been boarded by Macoun earlier in the game, but the NHL ruled that he had instigated the fight. The suspension was announced on Jan. 14, 1985, and Messier did not return to action until Edmonton’s Feb. 6, 1985, game at Winnipeg. Source

THE WAR IS OVER, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2014: 4-5-1
  • Oilers in October 2015: 4-8-0
  • Oilers in November 2014: 2-9-3
  • Oilers in November 2015: 4-7-2
  • Oilers in December 2014: 2-8-4
  • Oilers in December 2015: 7-6-1
  • Oilers in January 2015: 5-7-1
  • Oilers in January 2016: 4-5-2
  • Oilers in February 2015: 5-6-1
  • Oilers in February 2016: 4-8-2
  • Oilers in March 2015: 5-6-3
  • Oilers in March 2016: 7-8-0
  • Oilers after 79 in 2014-15: 23-43-13, 59 points (-82 GD)
  • Oilers after 79 in 2015-16: 30-42-7, 67 points (-40 GD)

G80 was a 4-2 win for the Oilers over Los Angeles, led by Matt Fraser and Tyler Pitlick offensively. It was a devastating loss for the Kings, and a great night after a massive personal loss for Oilers goalie Richard Bachman. The Oilers may well finish No. 30—they are currently last—but they do have some say in how this ends. The club is rested, possibly getting some help (Friday rumor had Adam Pardy drawing in for Adam Clendening) and it would be nice to carry a good memory from the last Rexall BOA. Hurry sundown.

DEFENSE, 2015-16

OILERS DEFENSE OVER SEASON

• Brandon Davidson should be a lock for top 6D in 2016-17, that is a terrific line. If Peter Chiarelli can find four defensemen better than Davidson for opening night, this is a playoff team. (Injuries aside, sprained knee should heel over a summer).
  • Oscar Klefbom is apparently skating again, I am uncertain we can talk about him as a realistic option in the fall. Matty reports snake-bite, but I think it more likely an angry God.
  • Andrej Sekera is getting that Corsi number edging toward 50 percent, I have enjoyed his season and hope for several more—and those in more competitive circumstances.
  • Mark Fayne is all leather and no bat, but I remain convinced Peter Chiarelli will not find three better righties over one summer. It should be an interesting watch.
  • Darnell Nurse will enter summer with more questions than answers. He has played well with some partners, including Brandon Davidson and Eric Gryba—wonder if they end up with him for 2016-17.
  • Jordan Oesterle and Griffin Reinhart probably start next season in Bakersfield, but have had some good games down the stretch.

OILERS CENTERS

OILERS CENTERS OVER SEASON1

• Connor McDavid should win the Calder Trophy on merit. That said, even if he doesn’t win the fact remains the young man is incredible. Oilers fans are rightly over the moon about 97. He is 2-9-11 in the last 10 games.
  • Leon Draisaitl is finishing up poorly (1-3-4 in his last 10) but this season has been a revelation. I am still unsure about what position he will play next year (FO percentage is 41), but this is an extremely valuable piece of the future.
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (6, 3-0-3 in the last 10 Oilers games) did not have a great season and will need to be much better next season (should he be back). Nuge has a career FO percentage of 43.6, I thought he was heading in a good direction (up to 46 percent a year ago) but has regressed to 44.6 percent this year. I think he is going to have a brilliant career as a center, but that needs to improve.
  • Mark Letestu has spiked in the last 10 games (3-4-7) and his numbers over the season have now reached what he would consider acceptable. The problem is so little of his offense came at 5×5, effectively turning the 3line into another 4line. He will need to be 4C next season.

OILERS LEFT WINGERS

OILERS LW OVER SEASON

• Patrick Maroon has been terrific in the last 10 games (9, 3-4-7) and the issue becomes what can we expect over 82games. I would refer you to Maroon’s production per 82 games during his career (12-22-34) and that (for me) is well worth the money. Maroon does appear to have chem with pretty much every center on the roster.
  • Taylor Hall (3-1-4 in the last 10) has faded during this year but the overall numbers at 5×5 remain terrific. He remains one of the top 10 players at 5×5 and is now in the prime of his career. Can he hit 80 points next season? One great thing about 2016-17: He has played in every game.
  • Benoit Pouliot is injured but still had an interesting week. Jason Gregor mentioned a rumor he heard about Pouliot (and Yak) heading to the Anaheim Ducks at the deadline. I know there are many who are not enamored of the big man, for me he is a value contract and absolutely a keeper.
  • Lauri Korpikoski is 2-2-4 in the  last 10 games, I think that is a reasonable expectation of his offense. The issue really is his inability to help possession, and his Corsi 5×5 for percentage ranks him No. 358 out of 371 forwards. I sincerely believe the Oilers will improve if they replace him.
  • Matt Hendricks (9, 2-1-3 in Oilers last 10) remains a valuable player among the bottom 6F. When he loses another step he won’t get to plays, but he is a terrific warrior.

OILERS RIGHT WINGERS

OILERS RW OVER SEASON

• Jordan Eberle (10, 5-0-5) had some injury issues early in the year but recovered in time to post a 25-goal season. I stopped talking about trading Eberle around the time it became obvious there was chem with McDavid. Eberle is an effective winger when the Nuge is his center (2.24 5×5 60 this season), but reaches impact levels with 97 (2.75 5×5 60 this season). I think he might score 40 with McDavid next year.
  • Nail Yakupov (10, 1-3-4) was the subject of more attention this week and in a way I think that might help him. If nothing else, we can clearly see the Oilers organization was a mess on his draft day, and that cannot be blamed on the Russian teenager. His possession numbers have improved this season, and his even-strength scoring chances are good. The 5×5 60 is not good at all, but when with McDavid he is 2.64 60. Trading him is of course an option, but the gap between Eberle and Yakupov with 97 is not a grand canyon. I am pleased Chiarelli didn’t make a deal at the deadline, and if the value isn’t there this summer then he should once again keep his powder dry. Fact is, Yakupov could post impressive numbers over an 82-game season with McDavid. If you are going to trade him, maybe do it after 82 games in a feature role.
  • Zack Kassian (10, 0-2-2 with 40 pims!) has faded so badly I am not certain he will earn a contract this summer. Edmonton needs an effective Kassian, and if this is his effort level than they are better off passing on him. I do wonder if the weird season has left him a exhausted, but have no proof either way.
  • Iiro Pakarinen (9, 1-2-3) is a fun player but there isn’t a lot of offense while he is on the ice. I think he probably returns next season, but it is likely to be in a bottom 6F role. One of the real issues I have with playing a Pakarinen (or a Pitlick) with a Taylor Hall is that you are hurting your star players in the name of spreading out the offense. Pakarinen doesn’t help Hall (1.37 5×5 60) offensively, but when playing with Hall the Finn sports a 2.74 5×5 60 number. I think he gets 500 at-bats again next season. As with all things, sample size alert on the Pakarinen-Hall pairing. It just reminds me so much of the Pitlick minutes last year.

I am sure Batty will take his share of lumps, but for me that is the exact equation. Good lord people, what are Oilers fans supposed to do? If you are an invested Oilers fan, the playoffs would be manna from heaven. They are not available to you. The next major event on the fan calendar is the lottery, and if you’re going then good grief you might as well win. I don’t understand the group of people who see it differently.

yakupov26

• Bruce Garrioch: The Oilers will try to deal winger Nail Yakupov in the off-season and the Senators showed mild interest in him at the deadline. Source

I am very interested in seeing how the Mike Hoffman fiasco works out this summer (the Senators have hammered the young man every step of the negotiation way, even to the point of winning a punishing arbitration last offseason) and he may be dealt by the team. Oilers would be wise to get in on that, and any number of young Senators that an addled and disgruntled management group may choose to flush. Are they crazy enough to trade a big piece?

I think having a veteran GM in place this summer should give Oilers fans some confidence for the future. Comes the reply ‘Griffin Reinhart trade and Lauri Korpikoski’ and I hear you. That said, the goaltending got some help last summer, and the Sekera signing has been viewed as a positive in most precincts. If Chiarelli can add Travis Hamonic, a power-play QB who can play third pairing, a Lee Stempniak and a new Pisani (along with a backup goalie) things should look better in the fall. I don’t think Yakupov will be here in the fall, and wonder how many of MacT’s Russians continue with the organization on any level. It has been a weird and bumpy sojourn into Russia since 2012.

Hallelujah, hallelujah, hallelujah. Amen.

432 Responses to "G80 2015-16: FLAMES AT OILERS"

« Older Comments

mustang: There is a stat more important than winning? I can’t think of any

I’m not arguing against your belief.

You believe that the only stat that matters is winning.

That is fine. That is what you believe.

I have many friends who don’t value any kind of stats, they are still my friends.

What I am saying is that the community built around Lowetide’s site has always valued these things (many of the fancy stat originators posted here in the past) and that the community values those things.

You are free to believe what you want, but why come to a community that values something only to deride that something?

Therefore, you must be on the wrong webpage.

smellyglove:
    I’d like to ask a question of all the regulars here. What would you have said, the day the Oilers won the lottery last year (for Connor), if I told you that the Oilers would end up in 30th again, with one of the last three games of the year resulting in yet another massive ass pounding from the Flames?

“I guess Chia didn’t fix the defence”

3. mustang says:

striker: I’m not arguing the Oilers played well tonight.But there is a path to get to those wins. That’s what comprises the job of the coach.

By the way, How do you measure “compete” and “battle”?
    Other than deciding those things after the game is over I mean?

4. fifthcartel says:

My biggest worry is they think Nurse is the saviour on defense, and “we got Griff developing well too”, so they only get a Vatanen, and then they’re at the same place next year. Sigh.

It’ll be madness if Chairelli only adds one defensemen, and I’m afraid that’s what he’ll do. Stauffer’s been pumping that for a while. Hoping he’s wrong.

5. jp says:

mustang: Your right, narratives can colour our views, but I see a player with skill and high potential that lacks awareness in the neutral and defensive zones, somebody that hasn’t listened to the coaches and thinks he and his agent knows best.

The not listening to coaches and thinking his agent knows best has moved solidly into narrative territory though. I suppose you could be right, but I’m not really seeing it.

Also, my original narrative comment was as much about my own bias as calling yours out by the way.

6. BAUCE says:

striker: What does being outworked matter? I thought the only stat that matters is the score?

One thing leads to the other.

7. BAUCE says:

jp: He sure does some kooky things, and it’s tough to argue that his awareness is a strong point.

8. AsiaOil says:

You know I think I’ve figured it out. Jordan Eberle is an alien and has the ability to shift space and time. The ice tilts 20 degree down toward the offensive zone and he is drawn there as to a black hole. Problem is – the defensive zone tilts 20 degrees uphill – and no matter how hard he tries – poor Jordan can never quite overcome this disadvantage to effectively mark his man. In space-time terminology this effect is referred to as “padding your boxcars”.

9. striker says:

mustang: Did you watch the game? Did they win any aspect of game at all? No they did not, is the correct answer

Yes I watched the game. No they didn’t play well.

What does the Oilers not winning an aspect of this game according to you (and the coach), have to do with the validity of your assertion that the only stat that matters is “winning”?

I’m saying other metrics do have value to many people (like the coach). You don’t agree. That’s ok.

10. AsiaOil says:

fifthcartel,

That’s the Demers-Stempniak solution – and I ain’t buying it – neither should anyone else.

11. russ99 says:

As much as many of you guys don’t want to load up the forward corps with bigs, at least they’ll try.

The roster needs major surgery this offseason, needs a new heart.

12. striker says:

BAUCE: One thing leads to the other.

So working hard leads to goals. We have some causation. Cool.

Now lets figure out how to measure how hard a team works. You think if one team has the puck more than the opposing team, that might indicate they are “working hard”?

13. Little Poteet says:

Woodguy: “I guess Chia didn’t fix the defence”

That’s exactly what I would’ve said. Alternatively, I would have assumed that scrivens crapped the bed again

14. striker says:

AsiaOil,

By George, I think you’ve solved it! 😉

15. mustang says:

Woodguy: I’m not arguing against your belief.

You believe that the only stat that matters is winning.

That is fine.That is what you believe.

Therefore, you must be on the wrong webpage.

I understand what the site is all about, I get it and embrace it. I do find the fancy stats interesting and like I said there is a place for it, but it doesn’t matter whose corsi is better in the first period when the team gets their ass handed to them in every aspect of the game. They didn’t compete or win enough battles for the puck, that is what happened in this game and they should be embarrassed on a personal and professional aspect. It’s a freaking utter joke. Winning is all that matters

16. Zelepukin says:

russ99:

The roster needs major surgery this offseason, needs a new heart.

Needs McD as captain.
    Needs 3 new, actual NHL defensemen.
    Needs 2 new RW that actually give a fuck.
    Needs a PP.
    Needs to get rid of MacT and KLowe.

In that order.

17. AsiaOil says:

ding ding ding ding…….we have a winner

Zelepukin: Needs McD as captain.
    Needs 3 new, actual NHL defensemen.
    Needs 2 new RW that actually give a fuck.
    Needs a PP.
    Needs to get rid of MacT and KLowe.

In that order.

18. BAUCE says:

striker: So working hard leads to goals. We have some causation.Cool.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

19. mustang says:

striker: Yes I watched the game. No they didn’t play well.

Whoever wins the most games in a season is the champ, so yes winning matters and is the most important stat…and I’m being a dick)

20. striker says:

BAUCE,

The greatest good of man is daily to converse about hockey, and all that concerning which you hear me examining Corsi and Zone Exits, and that the hockey game which is unexamined is not worth watching.

21. striker says:

mustang,

I agree, winning matters. We disagree that it’s the only “stat” that matters.

No, not a dick. We just have a difference of opinion. Nothing wrong with that.

22. jp says:

BAUCE: The coach has said this year, maybe more than once, that players are not listening.

McLellan said the players aren’t listening.

So…
    Yakupov hasn’t listened to his coaches, which is why he likely won’t make it as an NHL player.

You’re right, pretty straight forward stuff.

23. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

A fairly major overhaul could be in order.
    I agree wholeheartedly that Demers and Stempniak don’t cut it. I’ve been saying that for years. We need high end veterans that can help this team now.

So my spit balling looks at a big Chiarelli roster.

Trade Nurse for Hamonic. It hurts in 3 years but the Oilers unfortunately don’t have that long and it changes up the left-handed heavy mix of young D.

Trade Yak for McIlrath. Vigneault doesn’t seem to be a fan and Broadway loves its potential stars. Yakupov is the right price and he may finally find his way with NYR’s better 2-way Cs. The only C on the Oilers currently better at the 200-foot game than Brassard and Stepan is McDavid.

Sign Milan Lucic to $6m x 7 years. Yup. Agree that contract comes back to bite us.

Sign David Backes to $6m x 5 years. Yup and yup. It will hurt, too.

Trade down from 2nd overall with Columbus for Savard and their pick and draft Chychrun or Juolevi or Sergachev.

Lucic-McDavid-Draisaitl
    Hall-Backes-Eberle
    Pouliot-Nuge-Maroon
    Hendricks-Letestu-Korpikoski
    Pakarinen

Klefbom-Hamonic
    Sekera-Savard
    Davidson-Fayne
    Reinhart-McIlrath

Talbot
    Backup

Trade one of Eberle or Nuge the year after to free up cap space when McDavid moves to his second contract.
    Need 8 good D because we have seen all the injuries. The 4th line still sucks but maybe they will be better if the top 9 takes care of business better.

24. AsiaOil says:

Yes major surgery is needed. No self-respecting squad would let their hated rival roll into their building and slap them all over the rink without any push-back what so ever. The key players were happy to play river hockey tonight and not get themselves dirty or bruised. Defense was obviously an after-thought and boxcar padding was the order of the day. They couldn’t even get that right. If this doesn’t convince Chia to carve into the core of this team replace players without adequate stones with some guys with pride – well – I don’t know what will.

25. rope-a-dope says:

Just watched… youch. There’s no excuse available for that performance. I look forward to changes coming to this team.

26. hunter1909 says:

Was watching the 2nd period when suddenly it was 2-0 and they showed the Oilers bench…Hall had obviously 100% checked out so I figured…”If Hall’s not bothered, why should I?”

So I turned the game off and missed the third, thank fuck.

I doubt if they make the playoffs next season. I’m going to predict a ten point increase for next season, based on whatever feeble total they end up with…right now that’s approximately 69 points.

27. Hockey Buddha says:

About the Game
    The extended lay off hurt, rather than helped, the team. It happens, but it is still an embarrassment for the players and organization at this point. I’m sure that the players, however much the coach might not want it, are looking at the standings, which can’t be motivating.

The Stats Conversation
    As for the ongoing conversation about winning being the most important stat, sure. The importance of the other stats is that they provide more specific, detailed information about why this is occurring. That’s their value. As long as you’re not winning, you need all the information that you can get in order to address and fix the issue. Those stats do matter a lot in correcting the course.

Summer Pressure
    The pressure now is squarely on the organization to fix this over the summer. Clearly the team needs a stronger veteran, leadership presence in the lineup, if it is going to move forward, which is going to require moving out some of our young, talented players. We have the youngest team in the league. A contending NHL team usually breaks in one or two rookies in a season by comparison. Some of the changes, undoubtedly, will be regrettable; we’ll see some talented young players departing that will have fine NHL careers in other cities, and we’ll feel sad about it for years to come, but this team needs a makeover in a serious way.

Peter Chirelli’s Timing
    I’ve said this before, but I will say that Chiarelli has impeccable timing for entering an organization. The man has pretty much a blank cheque; he has assets galore–a storehouse of talented young players and a lot of draft picks in the upcoming draft–to work with, and fan expectations around here are like a beaten dog, so we’re open to just about anything. Obviously, Chiarelli has a big, well-documented problem on his hands in the defence, but it extends to the forwards to. Seriously, how many rookies can you have in a NHL lineup and expect success? Chiarelli is in an enviable position. There is nowhere to go but up. I also think that picks (including this year’s first) will be a topic for conversation. We are going to see our team age over the summer. We are It needs to happen to enter contention. The only thing that Chiarelli doesn’t have on his side is the patience of fans, that bucket of water evaporated in the desert some time ago.

Patrick Maroon
    I am very interested in watching Maroon next season. It is a litmus test for him as a player. He needs to develop consistency. I hope that he can, but the history on this player doesn’t suggest that it’s a foregone thing. I don’t think he can sustain his current high level of play over an entire stretch of 82 games. I don’t think that’s a reasonable expectation, but I really want to see how he will fare. I would think that the opportunity to play on McDavid’s wing has to be about as compelling a motivator as an NHL player can get, but we’ll see how it shakes out.

28. who says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    A fairly major overhaul could be in order.

So my spit balling looks at a big Chiarelli roster.

Sign David Backes to $6m x 5 years. Yup and yup. It will hurt, too.

Lucic-McDavid-Draisaitl
    Hall-Backes-Eberle
    Pouliot-Nuge-Maroon
    Hendricks-Letestu-Korpikoski
    Pakarinen

Klefbom-Hamonic
    Sekera-Savard
    Davidson-Fayne
    Reinhart-McIlrath

Talbot
    Backup

Understand your frustration but I doubt your projected lineup comes in under the cap.

29. who says:

Hockey Buddha:
    About the Game
    The extended lay off hurt, rather than helped, the team.It happens, but it is still an embarrassment for the players and organization at this point.I’m sure that the players, however much the coach might not want it, are looking at the standings, which can’t be motivating.

The Stats Conversation
    As for the ongoing conversation about winning being the most important stat, sure.The importance of the other stats is that they provide more specific, detailed information about why this is occurring.That’s their value.As long as you’re not winning, you need all the information that you can get in order to address and fix the issue.Those stats do matter a lot in correcting the course.

Summer Pressure
    The pressure now is squarely on the organization to fix this over the summer.Clearly the team needs a stronger veteran, leadership presence in the lineup, if it is going to move forward, which is going to require moving out some of our young, talented players.We have the youngest team in the league.A contending NHL team usually breaks in one or two rookies in a season by comparison.Some of the changes, undoubtedly, will be regrettable; we’ll see some talented young players departing that will have fine NHL careers in other cities, and we’ll feel sad about it for years to come, but this team needs a makeover in a serious way.

Peter Chirelli’s Timing
    I’ve said this before, but I will say that Chiarelli has impeccable timing for entering an organization.The man has pretty much a blank cheque; he has assets galore–a storehouse of talented young players and a lot of draft picks in the upcoming draft–to work with, and fan expectations around here are like a beaten dog, so we’re open to just about anything.Obviously, Chiarelli has a big, well-documented problem on his hands in the defence, but it extends to the forwards to.Seriously, how many rookies can you have in a NHL lineup and expect success?Chiarelli is in an enviable position. There is nowhere to go but up.I also think that picks (including this year’s first) will be a topic for conversation.We are going to see our team age over the summer.We are It needs to happen to enter contention.The only thing that Chiarelli doesn’t have on his side is the patience of fans, that bucket of water evaporated in the desert some time ago.

Patrick Maroon
    I am very interested in watching Maroon next season.It is a litmus test for him as a player.He needs to develop consistency.I hope that he can, but the history on this player doesn’t suggest that it’s a foregone thing.I don’t think he can sustain his current high level of play over an entire stretch of 82 games.I don’t think that’s a reasonable expectation, but I really want to see how he will fare.I would think that the opportunity to play on McDavid’s wing has to be about as compelling a motivator as an NHL player can get, but we’ll see how it shakes out.

Agree with you completely on Chias timing. He can’t lose. I hope.

30. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

who: Understand your frustration but I doubtyour projected lineup comes in under the cap.

Actually not frustrated. And that depends on where they set the cap. It could fit for this coming year but be problematic next summer.

It will be tight though.
    Lucic 6
    Backes 6
    Savard 4.25
    Hamonic 3.86
    Mcilrath 0.9 (estimate. RFA)
    Total 21

Vs. Leaving
    Nikitin 4.5
    Schultz 3.9
    Yakupov 2.5
    Nurse 1.7
    Kassian 1.5
    Lander 0.9
    Total 15

If cap goes to 74, doable with a tweak here or there. If flat then you are right it won’t work.

31. Receptor Antagonist says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    A fairly major overhaul could be in order.

So my spit balling looks at a big Chiarelli roster.

Sign David Backes to $6m x 5 years. Yup and yup. It will hurt, too.

Lucic-McDavid-Draisaitl
    Hall-Backes-Eberle
    Pouliot-Nuge-Maroon
    Hendricks-Letestu-Korpikoski
    Pakarinen

Klefbom-Hamonic
    Sekera-Savard
    Davidson-Fayne
    Reinhart-McIlrath

Talbot
    Backup

I like all of this, but as much as I like Lucic, I’m pretty happy with the current LW depth, I think I’d prefer to keep the LW’s status quo and go after a couple of RW’s like Brouwer and Skille(just say no to Korpikoski!) I also have some time for Lander still and a little bit of faith that he can still be the player he was at the end of last season.

Pouliot-McDavid-Draisaitl
    Hall-Backes-Eberle
    Maroon-Nuge-Brouwer
    Hendricks-Lander-Skille
    Pakirainen/Letestu

Every line has some vet leadership presence, size, skill, grit entity and players that can move up/down the lineup and some different looks/options at C.

*EDIT*

I forgot about Kassian, whom I’d probably just as soon over Skille, but DEFINITELY over Korpse.

32. cabbiesmacker says:

böök¡je:

I now wonder if it’s even worth tuning in for the final game

But then you’d miss the Oilers do something they actually ARE good at. Milking past glory to cover up the presents inadequacies.

Nobody fools their fans like the Edmonton Oilers and no fanbase laps it up better.

« Older Comments