OILERS SIGN GOALIE NICK ELLIS

The Edmonton Oilers continued their spring signing season today, adding an NCAA goalie to a growing group of hopefuls who will enter pro hockey this year.

Before we get to Ellis, let’s review the spring signings.

ellis 2

NICK ELLIS

• Chris Dilks, SB Nation: Ellis spent the past two seasons waiting in the wings behind superstar goalie Jon Gillies at Providence. But this year, as the team’s top goalie, he’s been able to shine. Ellis brings a good mix of size and athleticism and has been very effective in net all season.
  • Dilks ranked Ellis as the No. 5 free-agent option among college players here.
  • He is from Millersville, Maryland a community that is too small to count people. It has many trees and a freeway, reminding me a little of Red Deer. It is 29 minutes from Baltimore. I wonder if Babe Ruth ever spent a day there.
  • His save percentage was .936, but the backup was .940.
  • He was backup to Jon Gillies a year ago.
  • For Eagles fans: He came from Providence, the one in Rhode Island.
  • There are many people named Nick Ellis and many of those people named Nick Ellis do something in American colleges. This makes things confusing for Mr. Google, and for me.
  • There are two highlight packages here.
  • Jim Donaldson wrote a nice article about him for the Providence Journal here.

My guess is we see him in Bakersfield this fall, perhaps as a backup to Laurent Brossoit. You will read lots of opinions on this, but the key thing to remember is that college goalies who graduate to pro hockey are going to need to prove themselves—and there are no guarantees. Providence plays in a division that would be considered defensive, and the goalies often have gaudy save percentages. I am hopeful we can discuss his signing without either trumpeting a savior or ripping him for sins real or imagined. Congratulations, Nick Ellis, and welcome. We will commence cheering like hell for you.

PROJECTED 2016-17 50-MAN LIST (38)

1. G Cam Talbot. No. 1 next season.
  2. G Laurent Brossoit. Projects as NHL backup/AHL starter, signed a two-year deal.
  3. G Nick Ellis: I believe he will see a lot of action in Bakersfield, but he will write his own script.
  4. G Eetu Laurikainen, AHL backup, he is signed for next year.
  5. D Oscar Klefbom, likely top pairing, needs to stay healthy.
  6. D Andrej Sekera, top 4D, important part of the team.
  7. D Brandon Davidson, top 6D, maybe even top 4D if he continues on current track.
  8. D Mark Fayne, I question Oilers ability to find three better RH this summer.
  9. D Darnell Nurse, probably top 6D next season, ideally in Bakersfield.
  10. D Eric Gryba, UFA. I believe he will sign with the Oilers.
  11. D Griffin Reinhart, may spend another year in the minors. Could be dealt.
  12. D Andrew Ference, they will buy him out (if able). LTIR is my guess.
  13. D Jordan Oesterle, AHL D, NHL time. RFA. Suspect he signs.
  14. D Joey Laleggia, AHL D matriculating.
  15. D Dillon Simpson, AHL D, matriculating.
  16. D Ben Betker, AHL D, matriculating.
  17. C Connor McDavid, Giant.
  18. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, quality NHL center.
  19. C Leon Draisaitl, emerging NHL talent.
  20. C Mark Letestu, checking NHL C.
  21. C Anton Lander, they may find a buyer.
  22. C Jujhar Khaira, he is a good bet to make the roster in the fall.
  23. C Bogdan Yakimov, a chance he comes back. Has NHL tools, speed concern.
  24. C Kyle Platzer, AHL C matriculating.
  25. L Taylor Hall, impact NHL player. Many fans want him gone.
  26. L Benoit Pouliot, underrated by many. Trade rumors.
  27. L Patrick Maroon, big winger has been exceptional since arrival.
  28. L Lauri Korpikoski, Oilers should try to offload him this summer.
  29. L Matt Hendricks, checking NHL W.
  30. L Jere Sallinen, you can never have too many Finns.
  31. L Mitch Moroz, AHL winger/enforcer, matriculating.
  32. L Braden Christoffer, rugged winger, matriculating.
  33. R Jordan Eberle, scoring winger could be in play.
  34. R Nail Yakupov, gone baby, gone.
  35. R Zack Kassian, probably part of the future in a top 9F role. RFA.
  36. R Iiro Pakarinen, suspect he will push for a spot next fall. RFA
  37. R Anton Slepyshev, talented winger should push for NHL time.
  38. R Greg Chase, minor league winger, matriculating.

61 Responses to "OILERS SIGN GOALIE NICK ELLIS"

1. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Do you really think that re: Kassian?
    I don’t think he has enough to be counted on in the top 9 anymore. Safer to have him 4th line and if he gets in better shape this summer and can leapfrog someone move him up, but I’d be disappointed if they just traded Yak away and moved ZK up to 3RW. He hasn’t done enough of late to be handed that on a platter.

I’m happy if he is part of a 4th line checking line though and can move up in a pinch or if he earns it.

Also, welcome Mr. Ellis.

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    Do you really think that re: Kassian?

Also, welcome Mr. Ellis.

3. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Lowetide: If they bring him back, it is for top 9F imo. No sense paying him $2M for 4line work and he is not going to PK.

Do they need to qualify him or can they sign him for less?

Also, I think it’s at least somewhat interesting that Chia went back to his old backyard in Providence to sign a goalie. Don’t you? Something to keep an eye on perhaps?

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Do they need to qualify him or can they sign him for less?

5. LadiesloveSmid says:

Good sign that college writer at SB had him higher than Lyon. Guy behind Ellis on that list is starting for MTL tonight

6. striatic says:

According to the Pittsburgh play by play group, Justin Schultz has never been worse than even on +/- in the past 16 games.

They sound ecstatic.

7. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: Not sure. It is interesting this signing occurs so soon after the Lyon signing in Philly. I wonder if Lyon was first choice and then they checked down.

I agree this is the most likely scenario.

By the way, I think the new goalie gear is going to help the slightly below average goalies like Ellis. He is 6’1” so not a midget, but he is more compact than some of these stringy 6’6” guys. There are actually less holes in a 6’1” frame than a spread out 6’6” frame.

If the new equipment hugs the frame like I think it will, the medium size goalies will be able to adjust easier than a big guy.

8. Centre of attention says:

McKenzie believes the Oilers will not trade Hall this off season.

Rejoice, the management is not completely addled.

9. Water Fire says:

Good

Centre of attention: I agree this is the most likely scenario.

Good point athletic goalies are likely going to do better as opposed to the wall of goalie goalies

10. Doug McLachlan says:

Agree that the plan was Lyon and when it didn’t pan out they moved on to Plan B.

Chia seems keen to have a solid Plan B by many of his signing whiteboard names.

Any chance that he is thinking of a veteran goalie as a Plan B should LB not be ready to seize the opportunity next camp?

11. Gret99zky says:

Man, I get the feeling it’s Hall that will be moved.

I dunno what it is (his comments about “anyone of us” can go, perhaps)

His body language or look of relief hidden in his eyes. I just get the feeling he has either been told he will be traded this summer or maybe he’s quietly asked to be moved.

No real evidence whatsoever, just a hunch. Hope I’m wrong.

Gret99zky:
    Man, I get the feeling it’s Hall that will be moved.

I dunno what it is (his comments about “anyone of us” can go, perhaps)

His body language or look of relief hidden in his eyes.I just get the feeling he has either been told he will be traded this summer or maybe he’s quietly asked to be moved.

No real evidence whatsoever, just a hunch.Hope I’m wrong.

13. --hudson-- says:

RE: NHL backup. If LB is not ready and no further G signings happen, there’s always the post-training camp waiver wire.

These goalies were all put on waivers last September:
    Bachman, Richard
    *Poulin, Kevin – claimed by Tampa
    Ramo, Karri
    Scrivens, Ben
    Smith, Jeremy
    Stalock, Alex
    Tokarski, Dustin

Khudobin I recall had some pretty good numbers last season. Could he have been a satisfactory backup this year?

14. digger50 says:

I see Kassian as value. He brings a lot and you cannot underestimate his agitator role. Just when he gets pegged as the priK he shows speed and skill. I like him, he adds “difficult to play against”. Top 9 spots are getting crowded and that’s a good thing.

15. LadiesloveSmid says:

striatic,

did you see Willis’s blog at oilers nation?

Schultz playing butter soft 14 minutes/night with like a 111 PDO

16. Kmart99 says:

Sid with 66pts in his last 48 games. Still pretty good.

17. Rondo says:

Shocked Leafs won tonight

18. fifthcartel says:

Lowetide: I have never felt that way, because the defensemen you would trade for Hall are never available. It will be a fun summer to follow the team, that is for sure!

This is what I keep saying. It’s going to be so exciting and I’m just as excited/terrified for it to happen.

19. leadfarmer says:

I like this option better then throwing a draft pick dart at the goalie wall this summer.

No to bringing Kassian back. Way to expensive for what he brings.

20. stush18 says:

What is our fifty man list at now? Full?

21. Mr DeBakey says:

Dilks ranked Ellis as the No. 5 free-agent option among college players here.

“9. Parker Reno, junior defenseman, RPI”

Parker Reno
    Defense — shoots R
    Born Jan 20 1995 — Edina, MN
    [21 yrs. ago]
    Height 6.01 — Weight 205 [185 cm/93 kg]

From the sound of things, there aren’t too many flaws in Reno’s game. He’s bigger than the guy he’s replacing on the roster (although it’s not difficult to be bigger than Nick Bailen), he’s got a heavy shot and has good speed considering his size. He’s reportedly a stay-at-home defenseman with good passing skills, and word is he’s not afraid to throw his weight around when he has to. Perhaps the one thing he’s missing in comparison to Bailen is an offensive outlook, but you don’t always need that when you’re talking about defensemen.

The other things that keep coming up with regards to Reno is that he sees the play well enough that he is rarely out of position, and makes excellent decisions on where to place the puck when it’s in his possession. The only knock that seems to be out there on Reno is that his overall speed could potentially be better, but considering that it’s already decent for his size (and there’s room for improvement), that’s just more to be excited about when it comes to Reno.

22. flyfish1168 says:

Gret99zky:
    Man, I get the feeling it’s Hall that will be moved.

I dunno what it is (his comments about “anyone of us” can go, perhaps)

No real evidence whatsoever, just a hunch.Hope I’m wrong.

23. Mr DeBakey says:

Mr DeBakey: He’s bigger than the guy he’s replacing on the roster (although it’s not difficult to be bigger than Nick Bailen),

Sidenote about Bailen, he’s in the KHL and lead the league this past season in TOI/Gm for D-Men.

24. striatic says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    striatic,

did you see Willis’s blog at oilers nation?

Schultz playing butter soft 14 minutes/night with like a 111 PDO

stush18:
    What is our fifty man list at now? Full?

If only someone would tell us. 🙂 It is 38 for 2016-17, as indicated above. the 2015-16 50-man list is no longer of value.

26. Gret99zky says:

flyfish1168: If the return for Hall is not Karlsson, Subban or Doughty than we can never win this trade.

27. Gerta Rauss says:

I could be mistaken but I’m pretty sure a team and player can agree to a contract at any number prior to July 1.

In order to retain a player’s rights after July 1(assuming they haven’t reached an agreement on a contract) the team has to qualify the player at his current salary(not cap hit)…so in Kassian’s case $2M

Now, a player agreeing to a contract lower than his QO would be rare, to say the least..why would he..?

Well, in Kassian’s case, he was staring at the end of his NHL career just a few months ago, and I doubt there is going to be a lineup of teams bidding for his services on July 1.

I think Chia should offer Kassian a contract prior to July 1 that can be buried in the AHL without much cap penalty(1M..??) and if Kassian isn’t comfortable with that tell him we’ll talk again later in the summer after we get the rest of the roster sorted out.

Chia has leverage here, he should use it

28. pocession charge says:

striatic: I don’t think much of plus/minus, my comment was more intended as “pride goeth before the fall”.

I prefer the old adage “a PDO of 111 is unsustainable and regression is a bitch”.

29. leadfarmer says:

As someone that lives in the US could someone explain to me the Safeway score and win thing. Seems like a pretty pointless marketing scheme to have a contest without having to pay out. The odds of a Canadian player scoring 5 goals in a game is next to none, well until McDavid, but is still not very good. They probably spend a few million marketing the damn thing.

leadfarmer:
    As someone that lives in the US could someone explain to me the Safeway score and win thing.Seems like a pretty pointless marketing scheme to have a contest without having to pay out.The odds of a Canadian player scoring 5 goals in a game is next to none, well until McDavid, but is still not very good. They probably spend a few million marketing the damn thing.

31. leadfarmer says:

Gerta Rauss,

But do we really need another 4th liner? We already added one with Salinen. We have Korpse who I don’t think we will be able to get rid of. Lander has a contract. Letestu and Hendricks are signed as well. Hendricks looks like he is slowing down and definitely wouldn’t list him higher.

32. Gret99zky says:

“If any Oilers GM makes a 3-1 trade some lucky poster could win a camping box.”

33. flyfish1168 says:

Gret99zky: Agreed. Just got a nervous feeling with all the MSM guys saying he’s not going anywhere. Never trust the media.

We have been a loosing organization for so long every FGM is trying to take advantage of us. Eastern MSM is so bad, only beleaf players are any good and ours suck. When both Marincin and Petry got traded I felt like we got fleeced. They both sure look good. I also keep harping Eberle is worth more than Harmonic. Jordan is one of the top RW in the NHL. Playing in front of a non supportive D corp and the big bad western teams. Travis is not a 1st line Dman and when he come out west he will get eaten up by the big California forwards. JMHO

34. stush18 says:

Lowetide: If only someone would tell us. It is 38 for 2016-17, as indicated above. the 2015-16 50-man list is no longer of value.

stush18: Haha well I was assuming there would still be chances to sign free agents if spots were available.

Lol. I was being a jerk. But there are 12 slots left now, some of those will be dealt off of course.

36. John Chambers says:

Plus I like the obscure communities Score and Win winners are from;

Mary Wrasylchuk of Cutknife has won a Kuradori chef’s cooking set, and Carla Killdare of Osoyoos has won cookware from Tefal.

Once they gave a prize to a Ben Dover.

37. Gerta Rauss says:

leadfarmer,

I can’t say for sure-only McLellan knows if Kassian is deserving of another contract

He flagged the last 10 games of the year, that much is certain

I’m not sure I’d peg him as just a 4th liner though-Kassian is unique and can play up and down the lineup, and he brings that physical element that Chia is looking for

The bottom of the roster is getting a makeover this summer, I see Kassian at $1M(as I suggested) as pretty low risk imo

38. leadfarmer says:

Well that part makes sense. But have they ever given away the million dollar prize? Seems like a lottery that never pays out. At least drop it to 4 goals that has a chance of happening or give out 50 k for a hat trick. Only two players have scored 5 in a game in the last 30 years and neither did it for a Canadian team. With scoring going down I don’t see it happening any time soon in the entire league let alone when you limit it to 20% of the league.

39. leadfarmer says:

Gerta Rauss,

A guy that is less than a quarter ppg is definitely a 4th liner and given his very recent baggage I would not say he is low risk. If his ineffectiveness is due to a nagging injury then fine, if you can move on from some of the others then fine but if not then find someone else.

40. franksterra says:

leadfarmer,

Ill advised drinking log in, but couldn’t stay away from this…

Leadfarmer- it’s Lotto at the Macs, candy popcorn with the ring inside, Klondike Days ring toss. It smells like 1975 and again like LT says, it still has a lot of appeal.

Mister the day the lottery I win I ain’t never gonna ride in no used car again

41. Alpine says:

leadfarmer:
    Gerta Rauss,

A guy that is less than a quarter ppg is definitely a 4th liner and given his very recent baggage I would not say he is low risk.If his ineffectiveness is due to a nagging injury then fine, if you can move on from some of the others then fine but if not then find someone else.

If he had never broken the 0.25 PPG line then he would be a for sure-fire 4th liner, but he has cleared it multiple times with VAN and 35 games shouldn’t be enough to ignore his history. I think he’s 3rd line quality but I only give him another season to prove it unless he’s happy taking under 1MM.

42. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Gerta Rauss,

Thank you for all that info.

To be honest I see no reason to qualify him at $2m. He started out well but has faded badly. He adds grit and has some skill but he takes a lot of penalties warranted and not

Given his recent life events if he would take a one-way $1m “show me” deal, that’s what I would do.

Maroon has reduced the need for a player of his type. Not saying Kassian can’t be useful but there are other options.

43. AsiaOil says:

We have Klef, Sekera, Davidson, Reinhart, Nurse and Oesterle as LHD – will people who bemoan Marincin being dealt please explain where he was supposed to play? He was excess baggage and what we got for him was the market price. Do you really think that Chia turned down better offers elsewhere? But the real point is one of the LHD (Klef, Sekea, Davey, GR, Nurse, Oesterle) is going to get dealt. All have there positive features:

Klef – two way with top pair potential, injury prone
    Sekera – veteran, effective and one of the very few high profile UFA to sign with us
    Davidson – young, cheap, effective…..nuff said
    Nurse – young and tough as nails with great skating, but appears offensively/defensively challenged despite the tools
    Reinhart – big and defensively solid with good passing, skating a minor issue and limited offense, GM invested heavily in him
    Oesterle – world class skating and passing but light and passive, offense unclear

A case can be made for keeping or dealing everyone of them – but from my perspective – it’s Nurse given what we saw this season. I’m way more comfortable dealing him now after watching him for a season. Elite tools but it’s a real question whether he will be able to actually put it all together. I’d actually say Reinhart first – but he’s the GMs first big deal and I can’t see any GM giving up that quickly. Will be an interesting summer.

44. Chachi says:

Lowetide: They also give out secondary prizes. It actually has some appeal, giving Safeway some in-store promotion plus a chance to do business with their suppliers, et cetera. It is an older way to advertise and I expect it will one day lose favor. That said, I have been involved in many successful promotions using similar elements.

I won a trip from the Canadian Football League version of the Safeway contest. Could have won a million dollars if there were 3 kick off returns for touchdowns (or something like that), but it was not meant to be. I had no idea what I bought to enter the contest, but was very pleased to have won the trip in exchange for something that may still be sitting in the pantry many years later.

45. AsiaOil says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    Gerta Rauss,

Thank you for all that info.

46. Stelio Kontos says:

G is a tough position to sign college guys. There aren’t many spots in the pro depth chart, and for the most part, I think college G are overrated.

47. RJ2016 says:

Kassian was an untouchable with Buffalo early on. People saw his highs and the hope was that once he became more consistent, he’d be the next Lucic. He’s got the size, skill and the grit to be a force. But as you rightly point out, he’s been unable to sustain it over the long-term. That’s been the main criticism of Kassian in Buffalo, in Vancouver and now here in Edmonton.

If you can get him on a value deal, then you can ride the chaos. But with cap space at a premium, then I’d prefer to see Khaira play that 3/4 line role on a rookie salary. You won’t get the same peaks but I’d think you’d get more consistency. That’s just me though.

AsiaOil: I don’t think that Maroon addresses this need on his own at all. The nice thing about the last 20 games was having more than one guy able to play heavy and we actually, finally have a bit of team toughness. Why give that up? I’d be adding more to be honest. A one year deal with this player makes sense. There is really very little to lose in that and it shows that the team has some faith that he will spend the summer getting in prime shape and keeping his act together. This guy plays best at a seriously high emotional level and on the edge – very tough to do that every night – and the team needs to work on other parts of his game so that he can offer “something” every night. I like the unpredictability he brings to a generally passive light team.

48. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

If you re-read what I wrote, “Maroon REDUCES that need.” It’s still there and I didn’t say that Maroon alone addresses it. And “it” can be obtained from sources other than a volatile, high risk 3rd/4th liner at $2M. That’s not a cheap cap hit. If he would sign a $1M deal that’s one-way so he is guaranteed at least $1M no matter what and he can prove his worth over a full, healthy, clean season, then he can get paid.

There are other ways to get bottom six grit/skill players, in my opinion. And, I never said not to add more. We can add more of the grit/skilled type without it carrying as steep of a price tag and risk.

I’m not against bringing him back, but I don’t see the need to qualify this player at $2M based on his half season here. Give him a one-way, $1M guaranteed offer now.

49. Melman says:

RJ2016,

That’s just it. Is Kassian worth $1M more of your salary cap than Kharia? I don’t think so unless there is inside knowledge we don’t know regarding his flagging play. He’s been around enough that he probably is what he is. I really like him at $1M on your 4th with the ability to slide up when he’s playing well, but I wouldn’t want to have to rely on him. That might be a better spot for him next year too given everything.

Edit: meaning less pressure on Zach being a + for another year

50. AsiaOil says:

RJ2016,

Sure I see you point – but BUF and VAN made the same mistake – expecting Kassian to being an emotionally unstable game for 82 nights a year. Simply not possible. Same thing will happen in EDM unless somebody helps him develop other parts of his game that don’t require that kind of barely controlled (and sometimes uncontrolled) emotion on a nightly basis to be effective. Working on this is actually a good thing for Kassian since being a more balanced effective person could help him stay on the straight and narrow and not veer off onto a super-destructive path that almost surely leads to an early departure from this planet. End of my dime store psychology……

51. dangilitis says:

I thought it worth mentioning that Hemsky has 15 pts in last 15 games. I suspect this coincides with injury to Seguin, and that may explain why, for instance, he is setting up Jamie Benn tonight on the PP.

Also, he will finally be on a playoff team after 10 long years. He did not play in a playoff hockey game between ages 22-32. The Oilers literally robbed him of his prime years of playoff dangles. They finally traded him because he was the hero Edmonton deserved, but not the one it needed right now.

I hope he has a good run in Dallas until end of next season, the Oilers make the playoffs next year, then bring him back as a grizzled vet.

52. AsiaOil says:

Kind of surprised to see that Kass had played less than 200 NHL games when we acquired him (about 2.5 seasons) so he’s very much a work in progress. Got to admit that I’m pulling for the guy to get his act together as failing to do this will likely mean a very bad outcome. Hopefully either the Oilers or whoever he plays for works with him so that his demons run in a more controlled way – rather than just trying to keep him jacked up for 82 games no matter the cost. There is a player there and you can see the guy struggling to figure it out.

53. G Money says:

Stelio Kontos: I think college G are overrated

Damn, and I went to three of them.

54. Richard S.S. says:

To get better, the Oilers must do everything possible to acquire what they need. So they either trade the 1st Round pick or trade Connor McDavid, they can only keep one. Both are of extreme value and one must be used to acquire a need. Of the four studs, Taylor Hall, Leon Draisaitl, Jordan Eberle and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, only two can be kept. The other two are of extreme value and must be used to acquire a need(s). Trying to acquire the top caliber talent they need will be extremely costly and only works if value for value is used.

55. AsiaOil says:

Listening to coach last night talk about wanting to get Hall, RNH and Ebs on the ice together at the end of the game makes me think some deals are teed up and ready to go once the playoffs are done. Drafting BPA and trading for need is mantra around here but many people never seem to want to do the second half. CMD and HAll are river pushers for 2 lines – they just need competence around them. We need another river pusher on defense – and this is the summer to use extra assets to get that piece.

If the Oilers get the #1 pick you wring OEL out of ARZ. They will be desperate to get him no matter what their GM says – he doesn’t decide – he can be told to make a deal. The #1 overall is very rarely dealt and it’s never by choice when it’s a potentially elite player. If we get the #1 pick then OEL is in play without a doubt. I hate the way people throw around the term generational – by definition these occur once every 20 years of so – and in my books the only ones that qualify since Orr are Gretzky and Lemieux. CMD has potential. Matthews is clearly good but not in that league – I’d deal him without a second thought for a #1 RHD. We will see how the dice like us this year.

56. monsterbater says:

While i was hoping to land Lyon, hearing that part of the deal with Philly required him to be on the NHL roster this year to burn the first year of his ELC has me thankful the Oilers didn’t agree to that as part of signing him.

That means Philly has 1 year of him likely playing in LeHigh Valley before he is and RFA, so they will need to play him as the starter there. If EDM did the same it likely would have meant Brossoit as the NHL backup.

This is a depth signing for the Oilers and he likely slots in best as ECHL starter playing lots of minutes, something Brossoit did his first year of pro and it served him well. Which means the door is still open to sign a veteran backup and let LB have one more year as starter in Bako.

57. monsterbater says:

Richard S.S.:

I am sorry, but any comment involving trading McDavid is results in me tuning you out. That would be a fire able offence

58. jonrmcleod says:

monsterbater,

You’re not really sorry.

59. leadfarmer says:

AsiaOil:

I think teams have figured out what I’ve been preaching for years. D is the most important position. Arizona needs OEL a lot more than they need Matthews. They have a bunch of young up and coming forwards whose development will be a lot better with a #1 d then with a 18 year old rookie. They don’t have anyone who can take over for OEL or even close

60. monsterbater says:

jonrmcleod,

True, I was just trying to be polite enough so as not to get the disapproving look from LT

61. monsterbater says:

leadfarmer,

What about OEL and their 1st for Sekera and Matthews?

I don’t know why we’re even discussing this, the Oilers likely won’t win the lottery.