GOING TO CALIFORNIA

The Bakersfield Condors are finishing up their first season as an Oilers AHL affiliate, and the offense has come (mostly) from AHL vets. The Oilers have benefited from strong showings when callups reached the bigs this year, with Leon Draisaitl being the most impressive example. I always wonder about the offense. Is there anyone down there who can help in the future? A website called ProspectStats.com offers us a new way to view an old problem—time on ice as it relates to AHL players. Along with estimating TOI, they also estimate points-per-60 (all situations) and here are the Condors numbers this year.

EP/60 FOR CONDORS ( VET FORWARDS)

1. Andrew Miller 2.62
  2. Rob Klinkhammer 2.40
  3. Tyler Pitlick 2.24
  4. Matt Ford 2.19
  5. Ryan Hamilton 1.83
  6. Luke Gazdic 1.67
  7. Kellen Jones 1.57
  8. Phil McRae 1.38

Miller is no longer in the organization, Klinkhammer could be outgoing, and Pitlick is injured again poor guy. Anyone in this group who should return?

EP/60 FOR CONDORS (YOUNG FORWARDS)

1. Josh Winquist 3.09
  2. Jujhar Khaira 2.06
  3. Bogdan Yakimov 2.06
  4. Anton Slepyshev 1.90
  5. Greg Chase 1.73
  6. Kyle Platzer 1.56
  7. Marco Roy 1.55
  8. Josh Currie 1.38
  9. Mitch Moroz 1.32
  10. Kale Kessy 1.29
  11. Alex Loiseau 1.04
  12. Braden Christoffer 0.64

Interesting to see the prospects who are scoring at the highest levels, I wonder if Peter Chiarelli plans to sign Josh Winquist. Math has to be screaming in his ear. I also have been impressed with Khaira, Yakimov and Slepsyhev, no doubt they are all shy of pushing for skill jobs in the NHL but may be able to help in a support role.

EP/60 FOR CONDORS (VET D)

1. Brad Hunt 1.96
  2. Nikita Nikitin 1.52

Both veterans posted good point totals based on position. Both men are unlikely to return, based on Edmonton’s needs and current prospects list.

EP/60 FOR CONDORS (YOUNG D)

1. Jordan Oesterle 1.67
  2. Joey Laleggia 1.42
  3. Dillon Simpson 1.21
  4. Griffin Reinhart 1.19
  5. David Musil 0.75
  6. Ben Betker 0.73
  7. Nick Pageau 0.65
  8. Martin Gernat 0.46

Oesterle and Laleggia lead the way, Edmonton has the defensive defenseman position covered through the end of the century. I will be interested to see Dillon Simpson in the fall, seems to me he has improved in his pro career so far and might get a look at some point.

22 Responses to "GOING TO CALIFORNIA"

1. fifthcartel says:

The Edmonton Oilers have never met a defensive defensemen they didn’t like (in their draft year?).

But I agree, sign Winquist.

2. Water Fire says:

I am in the camp for only having a vet around as a role model. I think Chiarelli will head this way but I also would like it if they only had players that they may actually use in the NHL.

I don’t see the point in having very many undersized players if it’s the opposite of where you are taking things. None of them are looking like strong scoring options in the NHL. Oesterle is a really good hockey player but what I saw says to me he doesn’t do the things he’d have to at his size to be effective defensively at the NHL level.

As for the young D, there are too many lefties but I wouldn’t move anybody until there is a situation where they can’t all be afforded or someone NHL good doesn’t have a spot. Deal from strength but first you have to get strong.

So that means deal forwards and futures. But you shouldn’t start with your best players like Anaheim isn’t trying to deal Lindholm and traded the 3rd best of their 3 big power forwards.

3. jake70 says:

Look at the first round draft picks outside the 1,1,1,7,3,1 (2010-2015), they have only one, #19 overall in 2011 (Klefbom). No others. This is one thing that has bothered me – if you are going scorched earth then get some first rounders (other than 1 overalls) along the way so they can marinate and be ready. Does this make any sense? I’ll defer to the draft geeks. ( I think they have ++ first rounders on roster but they were traded to them and all roster players)

Oh and thank you Dan Shulman and Sportsnet for agreeing on Shulman doing a few Bluejay games this season.

4. kinger_OIL says:

– Great post LT! Has Chia ever been on the record about how he sees the farm team?

– It’s really such an old-school system it seems. The 8 vet forwards you list: save Pitlick, just seems like a bunch of guys that don’t make sense

– I’ve played high level hockey, and I get that in the AHL, the kids need to learn to play a system, but I’d say max you have 1 vet who knows how to play per line.

– I’d love for someone to ask Chia: “What was the development plan for the players on the farm this year” “How is it going to change next year” “Does the NHL team give directives and strategies to the AHL team?”

5. Professor Q says:

Water Fire,

How does one do that, though? Sign enough youngsters old enough or qualified elsewise to play in the AHL to fill a team?

Professor Q:
    Water Fire,

Part of it is to have enough internal options who are still developing. Edmonton can build a more veteran AHL team with prospects they have not drafted as well (as they are doing this season). The problem Chiarelli has is that the 2014 draft gives him zero pro signings and that is going to be an issue.

7. Water Fire says:

Professor Q:
    Water Fire,

First don’t draft players that don’t suit the plan, which of course Chia won’t do. Small players need to be elite scorers .

If a guy doesn’t translate after the draft move them for another AHL youth who may suit better. Outside of the first round it’s a crap shoot, so you need to shoot a lot of crap, or something. For example Legs is a good little player but there is no way they use him. He has talent so swap him for a player that will also need development but if that happens they would actually promote and play them.

8. Stelio Kontos says:

jake70:
    Look at the first round draft picks outside the 1,1,1,7,3,1 (2010-2015), they have only one, #19 overall in 2011 (Klefbom).No others.This is one thing that has bothered me – if you are going scorched earth then get some first rounders (other than 1 overalls) along the way so they can marinate and be ready.Does this make any sense?I’ll defer to the draft geeks. ( I think they have ++ first rounders on roster but they were traded to them and all roster players)

I agree with that,but firsts are expensive. We wandered for years trying to get another big winger who could play with skill. They thought they could pull out of the nosedive sooner, which may not have been idiotic. No team has been consistently awful, and that is on management. They felt they were ready to show progress in the yak year, then thought they were ready every year until this previous one. I think a normal team would have been able to take e 1st overall 3 years straight, hold onto their hemskys and horcoffs and sign some ufa without extra 1st rounders.

FORWARDS:
    Boychuk – Khaira – Slepyshev
    Winquist – Yakimov – Ford
    Roy – Currie – Platzer
    Moroz – McRae – Kessy

DEFENSE:
    Simpson – Hunt
    LaLeggia – Jones (pro debut, No. 8)
    Betker – Musil

IN NET: Laurikainen

10. Richard S.S. says:

Lowetide
    Today’s Podcats is missing the first hour. It might be an oops. You might also have been censored.

11. frjohnk says:

Richard S.S.:
    Lowetide

try soundcloud

12. Professor Q says:

Figurative penny for your thoughts, my friends?

It made me think of Yak and Nuge.

Richard S.S.:
    Lowetide

There was a technical glitch, it is gone forever.

14. FunsTuff says:

Professor Q,

I don’t know if I would agree that creativity has been lost, IE. Mcdavid. But the game has certainly shifted focus from scoring goals to protecting from goals against.

I think it has more to do with the advancement of equipment over any substantial increase in talent. The current state of the NHL is the NFL on ice. It’s brutal. Remove body checking from the game, or remove the Kevlar that does more damage to these kids than good. Of course you’re flapping around like a walrus out there when you can’t feel it until it’s dislocated.

Baseball could have left running the catcher or interferening at 2nd. The game would have adapted with more specialized saftey equipment, and they would continually run harder or slide more recklessly. They did the right thing by taking the “hard” out of hardball to allow skill and talent the opprotunity succeed.

Winquist with an assist on a Brad Hunt goal, Marco Roy gets the second apple.

16. Bruce McCurdy says:

Bako smoked 4-1. That should pretty much put paid to any lingering playoff hopes.

17. Yeti says:

Bruce McCurdy: Today’s Podcats is missing the first hour.It might be an oops.You might also have been censored.

Given that they are a heavily veteran-orientated line up, shouldn’t they have done better this season? I mean, it’s one thing sacrificing development for success, but then you do have to deliver the success portion.

18. BONVIE says:

Bruce McCurdy:

I am not sure why they pulled the shoot on Bakersfield’s season the way they did. Trading(lending) Miller for Boychuk to one of the teams that they were battling for a spot. There is a huge difference in AHL quality between these two players, Boychuk i think is pretty much done, time for him to start on his Senior Hockey career.

Then the callups of Reinhart and Osterle left the Defense in tough, When i thought at least Nurse would be sent down to replace one of them. The recalling of Broissoit who is a top goaltender at the AHL level. I am not sure why the Oilers felt they needed him to play backup in the bigs, they could have used anybody to backup Talbot, its not like the Edmonton Oilers had a win loss record that they were concerned about. That playoff experience for the minor team would have been so valuable, and they flushed it with a couple of really suspect moves.

19. Kmart99 says:

kinger_OIL:
    – Great post LT!Has Chia ever been on the record about how he sees the farm team?

– It’s really such an old-school system it seems.The 8 vet forwards you list: save Pitlick, just seems like a bunch of guys that don’t make sense

– I’d love for someone to ask Chia: “What was the development plan for the players on the farm this year”“How is it going to change next year”“Does the NHL team give directives and strategies to the AHL team?”

Why even dance around the issue?

I’d ask him ‘Why were veterans with little to no NHL future being given all the at bats while the younger prospects were kept lower in the depth chart?’

20. Bank Shot says:

Kmart99: Why even dance around the issue?

Yet Winquist is scoring at almost a point per game?

Why is a young prospect without an NHL contract outscoring all of the Oilers drafted prospects by a healthy margin?

21. Diesel says:

Speaking of the AHL, anyone want to guess what W. Nylander puts up for the Leafs next season? I’ll say 41 points in 77 games. And he’ll get Calder votes haha.

22. G Money says:

Bank Shot: I suspect if the OIlers prospects were good they’d have gotten more icetime, and scored more points.

That’s irrelevant. It’s a developmental league. You give your prospects the ice time regardless.

Better to give ice time and find that the prospects just weren’t good enough rather than have what might have been decent players (given playing time) die on the vine.

That is what the Oilers are doing right now, and it’s yet another reason the Oilers are pointing themselves in the direction of another decade of futility.