FRESH 30, FRESH CHIARELLI

Now that we know where Edmonton is going to draft in each round, we can begin to figure out what kind of talent will be available when they pick in the 2016 draft.

OILERS DRAFT PICKS (PROJECTED) 2016

1. No. 2 overall
  2. No. 32 overall
  3. No. 62 overall
  4. No. 85 overall (Florida pick)
  5. No. 87 overall (Pittsburgh pick)
  6. No. 122 overall
  7. No. 148 overall (St. Louis pick)
  8. No. 152 overall
  9. No. 182 overall

CURRENT LOWETIDE TOP 30

1. (1) C Auston Matthews, Zurich Lions (Swiss-A): Complete offensive player. NHLE: 42
  2. (2) W Patrik Laine, Tappara (Sm-Liiga): Power W, amazing playoff. NHLE: 17
  3. (3) R Jesse Puljujarvi, Karpat (Sm-Liiga): Big W, two-way skills. NHLE: 14
  4. (4)  L Matthew Tkachuk, London Knights (OHL): Big forward, playmaker. NHLE: 49
  5. (7) C Pierre-Luc Dubois, Cape Breton Screaming Eagles (QMJHL): Rugged, quality PF.
  6. (6) LD Mikhail Sergachev, Windsor Spitfires (OHL): Mobile defender with offensive acumen.
  7. (5) LD Olli Juolevi, London Knights (OHL): Substantial offensive defenseman.
  8. (9) C Clayton Keller, USNDTP (USHL): Kournianos: Similar to Mitch Marner.
  9. (8) LD Jacob Chychrun, Sarnia Sting (OHL): Fantastic skater, complete defender.
  10. (11)R Alexander Nylander, Mississauga (OHL): Brilliant scorer, fast hands, great skater.
  11. (10) RD Charlie McAvoy, Boston University (NCAA). Complete D, rising up the list.
  12. (14) R Alex DeBrincat, Erie Otters (OHL): Small super sniper.
  13. (12) C Michael McLeod, Mississauga Steelheads (OHL): Playmaking PF, great skater. Gritty.
  14. (17) R Vitalii Abramov, Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL). Explosive scorer. Dynamic.
  15. (20) C-L Kieffer Bellows, USNDTP (USHL). Scoring forward.
  16. (13) LD Jake Bean, Calgary Hitmen (WHL):Intelligent defender with across the board skills.
  17. (15) RD Dante Fabbro, Penticton (BCJHL): ISS: “+offensive instincts & effortless stride.”
  18. (18) C Luke Kunin, Wisconsin (NCAA): Luedeke: has skating & shot of prolific scorer.
  19. (19) C-R Nathan Bastian, Mississauga Steelheads (OHL): Big skill F with smarts.24
  20. (22) C-R Pascal Laberge, Victoriaville Tigres (QMJHL). Has two-way skills, very aggressive.
  21. (16) L Tyson Jost, Penticton Vees (BCJHL). Elite Prospects: Crafty goal-scorer, quick.
  22. (23) C Tage Thompson, Connecticut Huskies (NCAA). Legit skill player.
  23. (24) R Taylor Raddysh, Erie Otters (OHL). Power winger who can score.
  24. (26) G Carter Hart, Everett Silvertips (WHL): Quality prospect, elite when healthy.
  25. (31) C Janne Kuokkanen, Karpat (Fin Jr). Highly skilled C, good speed. Playmaker.
  26. (27) C Logan Brown, Windsor Spitfires (OHL): Impressive offensive skills.
  27. (28) C German Rubtsov, Team Russia (MHL). Fine two-way forward.
  28. (29) LD Lucas Johansen, Kelowna Rockets (WHL). Emerging offense.
  29. (25) R Julien Gauthier, Val D’Or Foreurs (QMJHL): Great hands, speed is an issue.
  30. (36) L Adam Mascherin, Kitchener Rangers (OHL): Undersized scoring W. Bona fide.

I will post another top 60 next Sunday evening. With the rest of my time allotted to this post, I listened to the Peter Chiarelli media avail and have some observations.

chiarelli ma

TRADES BEFORE JUNE

Peter Chiarelli measures his words. Never trust your boss when he is doing it while discussing your next career move, but for Oilers fans this is a good thing. No more ‘if you have to ask the question’ or ‘if that’s ever a concern’ clips, but we also don’t have a pissed off goalie this evening.

One thing that struck me as unusual? Chiarelli’s response to (I believe) Gene Principe about trading near the draft. Chiarelli mentioned he is not restricted and could make a trade at any time. Why is that unusual? I refer you to paragraph one.

I have to tell you I smiled one mile wide when Chiarelli talked about Nugent-Hopkins. It didn’t make any sense to me—how could a man go from employing Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci not see what RNH could do? Well. Turns out I may be a worry wart. Anyhoo, great words from PC about our boy center, he described the young man perfectly. Music! As for McDavid as captain, I have never really known what to say about this stuff, it is so internal and vague to an outsider like me. Look, Alex Delvecchio was the captain and Gordie was the guy everyone looked to, so I don’t know about all the fuss. Great? No idea.

It sounded like his next words were going to be ‘we are moving out inventory fast!’ so this is a reasonable starting point for our hard target search. Who needs forwards? Who has defensemen? Check that, who has defensemen Edmonton would want? Columbus, Anaheim, Minnesota, NY Islanders—sounds like a Chuck Berry song.

I never doubted he would try, the problem comes in price. That is going to be the big issue here. When the deal comes down, I hope you drop by this blog and see a headline like ‘Balance, Bitches!’ and my gorgeous balance photo framed perfectly. I hope. I hope in the same way as Red  hoped the Pacific was as blue as it had been in his dreams.

Expect competition.

• Klefbom—Hamonic
  • Sekera—Vatanen
  • Nurse—Davidson

That seems to be the goal (names obviously in play, the two here have been mentioned before).

Tyson Barrie has some momentum in the comments section, he certainly would be a terrific add. Is Colorado crazy? Silly question. If the Oilers can deal Pouliot for Vatanen and Eberle for Hamonic, then Barrie doesn’t come over. Maybe Barrie is a better plan than Vatanen? Interesting names and ideas, no doubt about it. Suspect trading down is in play as well, wonder if we see a three-way deal (depending on who gets what at the lottery, suspect CBJ will be pushing).

Jason asked about Klefbom and it sounds like all is well (no major muscle loss or bloodletting, as had been worried and discussed). Plenty more tomorrow, including 4,000 words on the Nuge. 🙂 On the downbeat? They are firing Nail into the sun.

72 Responses to "FRESH 30, FRESH CHIARELLI"

1. Ice Sage says:

Well, at least this management isn’t in denial about the lack of balance on this team.

That’s the first step!

2. Snowman says:

Easily the most calming end of year GM presser I’ve listened to which is impressive considering what a tumultuous summer this could be.

Love what he said about the Nuge. Love that he said he could fix the D without touching the forwards. At least he’s open to the idea. Between what he said about Nuge and the Hall nearly untouchable comments from Dreger I wonder if that is starting to point to Eberle as the most likely $6M to go. I’m expecting a big 3C coming in. Backes?

If Barrie is available and we can get Hamonic that is a massive, massive upgrade on D.

McDavid as captain was inevitable in my mind.

As for the draft I’ve got my mind made up on Laine. I’ve said it before. I would no longer trade out of the whatever spot we’ve got if Matthews or Laine is there.

3. TheOtherJohn says:

Great way to put past season in perfect focus: Fire MacT, Howson and Bucky.

It will feel so good

4. kinger_OIL says:

Great post LT!

– Chia gave great platitudes. Just because he says he likes RNH for instance, doesn’t give comfort that he’s not going to be traded. GM’s lie in press conferences, that’s their job: to lie, and to sell hope to fans.

Just for fun, I compared what I said Chia was going to say, vs what he said.

– “we are going to improve this off-season” vs “what we have now isn’t good enough.”
    – “we are going to be bigger and tougher to play against” vs “I like size”
    – “we will work to improve the D” vs “I am reasonably confident that I will able to address defence in a meaningful way, yes”
    – ”I wish the team wasn’t so injured but we will make moves”: vs “I had hoped for an 82-point season”
    – “there are going to be some tough decisions to make” vs “trades will be necessary to make the improvements needed to become a playoff team”
    – ” we made progress but not enough it’s not acceptable” vs. “I would have expected greater improvement than we had this year”
    – “next year will be different, promise ” vs “Again, the baseline isn’t great”

– He did say there would be a captain next year (hi conner!): it was a tell they didn’t pick one this year, he bought a year by doing so: bye-bye core players.

5. Bar_Qu says:

Not sure which will be more anticipated by readers of this fine blog – Oilers in the playoffs or the unveiling of the balance picture!

Great news on Nuge. I think Eberle might sell the highest now, but worry about this team getting rid of its two best offensive right wingers.

Good news on the D staying put too.

Add, not subtract, to make the team better.

6. Wolfie says:

I guess the question on whether keeping Eberle on McDavid’s wing rain or shine was a move to showcase or keep will be answered in the next couple of months.

Columbus drafts somewhere between #4 and #7 IF they don’t win one of the three lotteries, I expect that McLeod doesn’t get past them.

Sekera needs a D partner who can break the cycle, so I expect Hamonic/Demers plays with him rather than with Klefbom. Klefbom will get Vatanen/Barrie.

Well. Turns out I may be a worry wart

No shit.

I tried to talk you off the ledge……

10. stush18 says:

Woodguy:
    Well. Turns out I may be a worry wart

No shit.

I tried to talk you off the ledge……

This place was built on a ledge.

11. adamh1102 says:

I like that defense a lot, LT. Look forward to your posts to keep me sane during the long potentially turbulent Oilers’ summer.

Curious what people think it would take to get Hamonic and Vatanen respectively?

12. stush18 says:

“The stink is still there from the season. Right now, it’s hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel. I’m not gonna lie.”— Taylor Hall.

From specs Twitter. Not sure if anyone reported this this afternoon.

Any concerns over this? Between this and the expected mcdavid captaincy, gotta wonder how halls feeling about all this.

13. kinger_OIL says:

– Please: Nurse-Davy that is not a 3rd pairing to count on. It might one day, and we might hope they can do the job. Only one of Davy/Griff/Nurse next year, on the bottom line to start, with a bona-fide partner

– That’s my line in the sand, except of course if they get a OEL/Subban/Karlsson.

14. stush18 says:

So why don’t teams continue trading after the trade deadline if they know they will miss the playoffs? Seems to me the oilers could have traded for hamonic when he became hurt in order to give NYI a playoff push.

Or a trade between buff and Ed, etc. Seems like it’s an under utilized tool for teams that miss the playoffs.

15. bbf_iii says:

stush18:

More broadly, most (if not all) playoff teams won’t be in a position to make a beneficial deal after the deadline. If they really need another player to make the playoffs, odds are they won’t be going far. Your return on investment is potentially very low. As such, if you’re Edmonton and you’re looking to trade Eberke,for example, you’re limited to less than half the league with whom to negotiate.

16. admiralmark says:

Am I the only one that doesnt see the obvious McDavid captaincy for next season? I heard Chiarelli say he expects to name a captain true. But what was this obvious tell it’s McDavid? Seems like a ton of speculation unless he coughed McDavid out when i wasnt listening.

17. Spydyr says:

Chiarelli would not be the first GM ever to pump up a player just to trade him(it increases the ask). Words mean nothing. Actions count. It should be a very interesting summer.

18. Stelio Kontos says:

Can we trade down from 32 to 60 then give boston that pick? Or does it have to be our native pick. Last year we gave them St. Louis’ pick. I would want to trade down as an off you, but also as we draft higher this year, we could presumably get a better return.

Stelio Kontos:

20. Little Poteet says:

I’m just so glad there was no “I’m comfortable moving forward with” anything comments. I also appreciate Chiarelli’s whole team way of building a team. People blast LT for saying we need to improve the quality of our bottom 6 forwards but that is very much what Chiarelli means when the press goes on about the core and Chiarelli says I need to look at the whole picture. He knows it isn’t nuge or even Eberle s fault that the 3 and 4 forward lines and the 3rd pairing defense aren’t nhl quality

21. Mr DeBakey says:

admiralmark: Am I the only one that doesnt see the obvious McDavid captaincy for next season?

No, you are not.

As far as I can tell, the Captain’s job is to go out and face the media after every game Win, Lose or Draw.
    This is why the Media think the Captain is very important.
    McDavid, Mister Three Words When Five Would Do, seems a terrible candidate.

22. Little Poteet says:

stush18,

LT’s is the restaurant at the edge of the universe. We watch our poor oilers world end and begin again every September

23. stush18 says:

bbf_iii: Specific to NYI, I believe that they are still hoping/expecting Hamonic to be available for the playoffs.

More broadly, most (ifnot all) playoff teams won’t be in a position to make a beneficial deal after the deadline. If they really need another player to make the playoffs, odds are they won’t be going far. Your return on investment is potentially very low. As such, if you’re Edmonton and you’re looking to trade Eberke,for example, you’re limited to less than half the league with whom to negotiate.

Agreed. Still seems like something bottom feeder teams should be willing to engage in.

As teams drop out of playoffs you should be able to start trading again no? Seems like they take a month or two off from trades. I don’t see why they would. Gives you a jump start on teams who may still be in playoffs?

24. Water Fire says:

Snowman:

McDavid as captain was inevitable in my mind.

For sure, they are better than players some current players, breath in the good, blow out the less good, improve.

The top three in any draft are usually players you can’t trade for or cost ludicrous UFA sums. Always keepers. Trading down is an option with some sort of control.

I REALLY like that Chiarelli is patiently impatient. A lot.

25. stephen sheps says:

stush18:

From specs Twitter. Not sure if anyone reported this this afternoon.

Hall said a lot of things in that interview, many having to do with how much he enjoys both living and playing with McDavid.

let’s remember who is picking those choice quotes out. Media types have narratives they love to push, and Spec is one of the worst of the local guys for pushing his own agenda and hearing what he wants to hear.

can you blame Hall for referring to another bottom of the league finish as having “stink’ on it? He also said that he doesn’t want to go anywhere other than to Russia for the worlds and that Edmonton is his home now.

Narratives are fun.

26. Water Fire says:

godot10:
    Sekera needs a D partner who can break the cycle, so I expect Hamonic/Demers plays with him rather than with Klefbom.Klefbom will get Vatanen/Barrie.

Agreed, these guys balance size like you should IMO.

27. Sugar Reijo says:

stush18:

From specs Twitter. Not sure if anyone reported this this afternoon.

Also from Spec’s twitter: “My message is still the same: I’d love to be here; it’s home for me now.” — Hall

I don’t think Hall’s light at the end of tunnel comment is different than McDavid’s losing eats me alive. Had Hall *only* said that in his media avail then there might be a concern. But he didn’t. In fact, he went out of his way to say he’d love to be here and said this is home.

28. Water Fire says:

I think McDavid is too young to be captain right now. Let him enjoy some years growing in and enjoying the game.

LT what think you about Laine over Mattews at McKeens? I’m thinking it’s about age and scouts finding his game like Lemieux, which surprises me as a comparison.

29. stush18 says:

stephen sheps,

Sugar Reijo,

Sugar Reijo,

And that is why I dislike Twitter. Easy to miss out on things.

And ya I don’t like specs, which is why I was asking.

30. Stelio Kontos says:

Lowetide: The two teams can agree on the pick, but Edmonton would have to offer something of equal or greater value. San Jose took a lesser pick for McLellan because they felt the draft was strong enough in 2015 to warrant it.

Alright, then we’ll pull that next year. They either take it or they get nothing.

31. stephen sheps says:

stush18:
    stephen sheps,

Sugar Reijo,

Sugar Reijo,

And that is why I dislike Twitter. Easy to miss out on things.

And ya I don’t like specs, which is why I was asking.

though I don’t use it much myself, I see twitter’s usefulness and potential, both in terms of rapidly getting information out and for finding interesting bits of news from various corners of the internet. It’s a great place to start, but it’s too limited a platform to use in isolation.

however when it comes to things like interviews, I guess I know better than to just take the one juicy quote out of context, especially given the source. No slight on you though and I can see why you (or anyone else) might be concerned or inclined to check in this era of clickbait journalism.

Hall’s entire interview was quite good, and a bit lengthy (5+ minutes) relative to the rest of the team. It’s worth a watch/listen.

32. LadiesloveSmid says:

if Subban is available, I imagine you trade Draisaitl+

if it’s Barrie or Hamonic, I would say Eberle, Nurse, or the 1st

either way money should be thrown at Demers

I would rather Yak stay than Eberle. Cheaper, less market value, and Yak deserved more at bats with McD after his start. He was kicked to Letestu’s line because Eberle had more rep.

Keep Hall, keep RNH, keep Klef, keep Davidson. If you can get a top pair D for Nurse this summer, I wouldn’t hate that.

My very favourite oiler this year: Davidson. I had a lot of fun watching him progress, his injury broke my heart. Does everything well, handled big minutes toward the end, had nothing for line mates, and offensive game was starting to show.

Water Fire:

Don’t know. Matthews looks like a million bucks, but Laine has that shot and he is RH. I will say this: The Oilers might be wise to take Laine based on their own future. Maybe they get No. 1 and trade down to No. 2? Lol.

34. Loyal2theoil says:

LadiesloveSmid,

His confidence with the puck was outstanding too.

35. Wolf Of Ross St says:

If Chiarelli ends up trading Eberle & Yak then it’s imperative he finds a big bodied 3C, after that I play Leon RW and hire a Stempniak.
    3 weeks till the lottery? Stupid nhl.
    I will be waiting impatiently for draft day and holding my breath for a Tyson Barrie deal.
    Also, please sign Demers on July 1. Last year getting Sekera (BPA) made my week.
    P.S. I think Davidson-Nurse would be a fine 3rd pairing.

36. 719 says:

Hi guys,

Would a forward core like this work and fit the Chia mould?

Hall-RNH-Drai
    Lucic-McDavid-Maroon (had some success playing the right side)
    Korp (doubt there is a market for him)-Backes-Kassian
    Hendricks-Letestu-Pak

Obviously alot of hopes and dreams there as far as UFA signings go. In this scenario Pouliot, Yak and Ebs have been moved out and 1st round draft pick is not gifted a spot on the roster.

37. Mustard Tiger says:

Off-topic thought..

I know plus minus sucks..

But I find it amazing that Joe Thornton is +25 while Patrick Marleau is -22.

How is that even possible?

38. leadfarmer says:

The day Chia got hired we knew 2 of Nuge, Eberle, and Yak were gone. Chia now knows what he’s got in Nuge and needs to keep him. Yak isn’t going to get much and doesn’t cost much so he may get another year. Eberle is getting auctioned off. Hope he finds a new home that he likes and one that doesn’t require him to back check.

39. leadfarmer says:

Mustard Tiger,

Jumbo Joe is having a career year

40. Suntory Hanzo says:

Back in the old days, Charlie Chaplin did some filming on location at LT’s house.

41. AsiaOil says:

It all depends on which defensemen are actually available this summer. We know Hamonic is and NYI will have holes on both defense and RW if Okposo leaves. Yak might be a good fit with Kulemin and Grabovski and the big Russian population in Brooklyn. Yak plus Davey for Hamonic works capwise but I’m concerned about Davey being as good as Hamonic in another year. Still – you’d have to think about it – addresses need on both sides.

I see Eberle going for Vatanen as the completion of the Maroon deal which seems to good too be true without a follow up in the summer as soon as Anahein is done (might be what Chia was hinting about).

I’d be pushing real hard for a deal with Nashville for Ellis and Smith. I like both players a lot and it fills huge holes on the right side. I think Reinhart may be a piece of interest, maybe Yak as well, but we would still need to add. If we end up picking #4 or #5 – maybe we swap Yak, GR plus our #1 for Ellis, Smith and NAS #1.

I don’t trade Hall or RNH if possible and I make Hall captain. He’s still got some growing up to do but he made a ton of progress this year and he seems to be a guy who can rise to a challenge. After Drai hit his sophomore slump the line was pretty much just Hall carrying baggage around most nights so I give him a break for that. Coach should have had Yak on that line the minute Purcell was traded – as I said – very poor management of assets.

42. sliderule says:

The oilers have about a 60 percent chance of picking 4 th or 5 th so it about time that the real draft talk gets going.
    There are two defencemen who are going to be a one or two defenceman for 10 – 15 years and Juolevi who has a little more risk but will be in top four for at least ten.
    You have Mathews who is going to be great but the two Finns are not and several wingers who have scored goals at a level below that expected for a top five pick.
    If the oilers drop to were the odds say they should it will be a gift as they will finally be forced to pick a defender.
    That’s unless they go oiler and screw it up again.

43. rickithebear says:

PC:
    -you can improve your d without using the core.

-told dreger hallwas untouchable.
    – today said there was 2 untouchables.

-klefbom ready for next year.

– RNH a good 2 way player.

– start of season “you rarely trade for good d”

-nurse, reinhart in ahl next year means we done great work on our d.

– major changes can be lower teer players, staff.

– kassian and gryba. You notice i said i like size.

– analytics showed our pocession numbers improved 2 nd half of the season.

– i like our structure, we can build on that next year.

– we improved ou pk, pp ????

– i knew this would take more than 1 year.

44. Woogie63 says:

Lots of lists include Hamonic (with good reason), however I see Winnipeg getting Hamonic. He wants to go home, Snow got ahead of the story and said he wants to go to a Western Canadian team, to hold onto some leverage. Winnipeg has more than enough to make this deal.

If St. Louis, Minnie or NYR under-perform in the first round they may want to make big changes to their rosters.

45. Chachi says:

sliderule,

I am genuinely curious about what is behind your certainty about how these kids will turn out. I myself have no idea if Laine is the next Ovechkin or if he is Finnish Anthony Mantha. I don’t know how a scout can be certain that any one of the available defencemen will be good NHL blueliners. How is it that you seem so certain?

46. dustrock says:

LT I will die on the hill of Chychrun as the top D in the draft. Not sure why, as I have no skin in the game, just think this is the guy the Oilers need at #3. Think he’s been picked apart like Jones and Ekblad were to a greater extent than Juolevi and Sergachev.

47. JimmyV1965 says:

stephen sheps,

Ya. I think you guys are reading way too much into the quote. The problem doesn’t lie with Spec posting the quote. The problem is people reading way too much into it. It was a very visual quote. End of story. Any real journalist would post it. At no point should anyone have thought Hall was being negative about the team. The season sucked and Hall said it. Good on him and good on Spec for posting it.

48. stevezie says:

Mustard Tiger,

That can only mean they’re no longer linemates.

Right?

49. Stelio Kontos says:

Don’t see what McDavid being captain adds. Not like he will be more sought after by media and fans. Not like the players don’t already know who the leaders in the room are. Many, many NHL captains were originally given the title for optics.

Not to mention, one of the most emblematic failings of the MacT era was giving terence the C. It was time to put the future in the hands of the kids and surround them with players, but instead he brought in a coach who was petarded, and brought in shitty veterans.

50. rope-a-dope says:

Really nice avail from Chia.. something not yet mentioned, Chia had no problem saying that there was improvement but he qualified that the bar was low (twice), he also made the crack about the team now being a taller midget. I feel that he would not have made these comments if MacT or Howsen had any real relevance in the org..Both comments a direct shot at them.

dustrock:
    LT I will die on the hill of Chychrun as the top D in the draft. Not sure why, as I have no skin in the game, just think this is the guy the Oilers need at #3.Think he’s been picked apart like Jones and Ekblad were to a greater extent than Juolevi and Sergachev.

A lot of people really like him, that is for sure. I don’t see enough offense, but he can skate like the wind.

52. Rod from Viking says:

Snowman,

I agree with you on all points, I was in Finland for the WJHC and Laine is the player even if the Oilers drafted first and trade down to second, he was incredible and exactly what this team needs, great skater, uses his size and is an actual finisher with a rocket shot, say goodbye to muffin shot #14.

53. JimmyV1965 says:

sliderule,

If the Oil draft third or lower, I’m sure they trade the pick and move down. It’s really the perfect draft to do that. The gap between the third and 15th isn’t super huge. The player they like with the 5th pick, for instance, could possibly be available 12th.

54. Wolf Of Ross St says:

JimmyV1965:
    stephen sheps,

Ya.I think you guys are reading way too much into the quote. The problem doesn’t lie with Spec posting the quote. The problem is people reading way too much into it. It was a very visual quote. End of story. Any real journalist would post it. At no point should anyone have thought Hall was being negative about the team. The season sucked and Hall said it. Good on him and good on Spec for posting it.

How do we know that You’re not Mark Spector?
    haha

55. PunjabiOil says:

Obviously things can change quickly in negotiations, but Stauffer dropping names suggests those both Vatanen and Barrie are in play and some legwork for potential deals must have commenced.

Could throw in a curveball if Subban becomes available but if he does, you have to look into it.

Barrie is superior to Vatenen, an Roy doesn’t appear to be a big fan (see recent quotes in the media).

“He doesn’t have to step up because of that contract,” Roy said. “He has to step up because we need E.J. It’s as simple as that. He needs to be a plus player. And the same thing with Tice (Tyson Barrie, a minus-15). Look around the league, look at the defensemen, and if they are plus, that’s how those teams are winning.

Barrie is also going to be (rightfully) seeking north of 6M this summer as the bridge deal is complete.

Just on the fact that Sakic/Roy don’t know what they are doing and have the better chance of being exploited, Barrie would be my number one target.

The only question is Eberle (who is likely gone and probably a pump and dump this season) who goes where.

Suspect all of Pouliot, Yakupov, Eberle, plus perhaps a prospect like Reinhart and/or 2nd/3rd round picks will be in play to acquire 2 defencemen.

Which is fine – you don’t win with a surplus of quality wingers and chaos on the blueline. There will be quality wingers available in the unrestricted free agent market.

The stars are aligning for Chia to have a meaningful, powerful summer that will accelerate and propel this team from a rebuild to a contender in rapid fashion.

They just are.

56. PunjabiOil says:

Klefbom—Hamonic
    Sekera—Vatanen (Barrie)
    Nurse—Davidson

Ext: Fayne, Oesterle/Reinhart

Now that’s a defense.

The problem becomes if this plays out, as you likely have to protect Sekera due to his NTC, you will likely have to expose (assumption – Oilers go with protecting 8 players which include 4 defencemen):

Davidson, Reinhart.

Forwards protected – Hall, Draistaitl, RNH, Maroon/UFA signing

57. PunjabiOil says:

Note that Vatanen and Barrie are both 25 this summer and I believe both have 2 years left before free agency.

They both likely want long-term deals in the $5-$6M range.

Not sure what to think of Vatanen. Looks like a second paring guy who excels on the powerplay.

He adds an element the team needs, but him alone would be insufficient. Would prefer Barrie over him (or both and let Hamonic work out a deal with Winnipeg/Calgary).

58. Professor Q says:

leadfarmer:
    Mustard Tiger,

Jumbo Joe is having a career year

This isn’t 2006-7. 😉

59. Professor Q says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    if Subban is available, I imagine you trade Draisaitl+

if it’s Barrie or Hamonic, I would say Eberle, Nurse,or the 1st

either way money should be thrown at Demers

My very favourite oiler this year:Davidson. I had a lot of fun watching him progress, his injury broke my heart. Does everything well, handled big minutes toward the end, had nothing for line mates, and offensive game was starting to show.

I don’t think the 1st should go for Hamonic. That’s too much of a cost for a player who asked for a trade.

60. ruotsalainen says:

“At some point, Subban has to decide which is his priority: Planet P.K. or his team. If you want to know how his teammates feel about him, remember they nominated Pacioretty for the King Clancy Trophy for leadership on and off the ice and significant contribution to the community despite Subban’s hospital announcement. The only way you can read this is Subban’s teammates are fed up with his act.

The first item of business for Geoff Molson and Bergevin this off-season should be to schedule a meeting with Subban and his agent, Don Meehan. Unlike Allan Walsh, Meehan isn’t the type to throw gasoline on the fire.

Look, I’ve defended Subban at every turn throughout his career. But if he can’t be persuaded to work within the structure of the team and the organization, maybe it’s time he and his brand were shipped to a market large enough to accommodate Planet P.K.

Like Edmonton, for instance.”

Whoa boy. Knives are out in Montreal. Seems awfully similar to the kind of stuff that happens in the media here…

I hope Chiarelli is calling Bergevin every waking minute.

61. cc says:

Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN 54s55 seconds ago Philadelphia, PA
    Flyers announce chairman Ed Snider has passed away ay age 83

62. GCW_69 says:

Took a quick look at Chia’s claim they were better in the second half:

…………..Down 3….Down 2….Down 1…..Tied…..Up 1….Up 2…….Up 3
    First 41…62.4……..58.5………..51.6………46.8…..41.7…..36.5…….44.1
    Last 41….55.5…….55.3………..56.8………48.0…..44.5…..41.7…….34.6
    Diff………..-6.9………-3.2………….5.2………..1.2…….2.8…….5.2………-9.5

…………..Down 3….Down 2….Down 1…..Tied…..Up 1….Up 2…….Up 3
    Last 41….55.5…….55.3………..56.8………48.0…..44.5…..41.7…….34.6
    League… 58.7……58.6…………55.1……..50.0…..45.0…..41.6…….40.1
    Diff…………-3.2…….-3.3…………..1.7………..-2.0…..-0.5…….0.1……..-5.5

Looking at this data from Puck on Net, it would appear that the team improved in the three most common game states (down 1, tied, up 1) in the second half, but didn’t push back as hard when down 2 or more and were more likely to gas a big lead. Improvement in the three most common game states is very good to see.

If you compare the Oilers second half to league averages for the same period, we the Oilers were below league average in pushing back when trailing by 2 or more. Being above league average when trailing by 1 is good. Being below league average tied or up one is not, although the gap when up 1 is small. The Oilers play when leading by 3 or more is very poor.

Overall, it looks like the Oilers were better at pushing for the tying goal, but if they got down 2 they were more likely to give up when compared to the first half or the league.

The encouraging thing is the play in the three most common game states. While they still have a ways to go, improvement here is critical and they did achieve some.

63. sliderule says:

Chachi,

The problem I have with Laine is character .He threatened to kill the coach of the Finnish world junior team and was kicked off team.How will he feel about ice time and power play and maybe go Yakupov.May not be a problem but it should be accounted for.
    The other Finn and the CHL forwards are not putting up the goals you expect from a top five winger pick.Lots of assists but that can be reflection of team play.
    Despite Lowetides frequent statement he doesn’t see the offence from Chychrun I respectively disagree with him.He has scored at .8 pts per game in his draft season which was about the same as Doughty..He was slowed at start by off season surgery but over the last two months he scored at a point a game.In the playoffs he scored 8 pts in seven games.In his draft minus two season he scored 16 goals and .8 pts per game.When you look over the top defencemen drafted in past he compares well .To top it off for me in on ice testing at prospect game he finished second to all players.This was the testing that Connor dominated last year and for a defenceman to score that high is impressive.

64. rope-a-dope says:

cc:
    Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN54s55 seconds ago Philadelphia, PA
    Flyers announce chairman Ed Snider has passed away ay age 83

Wow, well RIP to him. This really adds to the Flyers making the playoffs.

65. Sugar Reijo says:

ruotsalainen:

I hope Chiarelli is calling Bergevin every waking minute.

Wow. The whole hospital donation part of the writer’s grinding axe seems petty in the extreme. Oh, jeez, he *only* contrbuted seven figures and will raise the rest through his foundation. And he had the nerve to not invite anybody from the Canadiens for the presser. Oh the humanity!

Anybody else get schoolgirl giddy thinking of an Oilers PP with McDavid and Subban on it?

66. who says:

Woogie63:
    Lots of lists include Hamonic (with good reason), however I see Winnipeg getting Hamonic.He wants to go home, Snow got ahead of the story and said he wants to go to a Western Canadian team, to hold onto some leverage. Winnipeg has more than enough to make this deal.

I would love to see the Oilers acquire Hamonic but I tend to agree with you. A Hamonic for Trouba deal makes so much sense for both teams, seems like a no brainer. So how come it hasn’t happened. Which GM is saying no. Winnipeg is getting a solid righty finished project with a great contract. Local boy and he wants to be there which should help in future contract negotiations. New York gets a slightly rawer righty with more upside and is as close to a similar dman as Snow is going to get. The only thing that makes me doubt this trade is that it hasn’t happened yet. What’s the hold up

67. who says:

ruotsalainen:

Like Edmonton, for instance.”

I hope Chiarelli is calling Bergevin every waking minute.

68. Sugar Reijo says:

Anybody know how likely Jack Todd is to be Bergevin’s hatchet guy? From the comments section it sounds like he’s had it in for “Planet PK” for awhile, but it sure reads like a bit of a trial balloon piece. Here’s hoping this is Bergevin preparing the fanbase for a move with some old fashioned character assassination. Checks a lot of those boxes. Unpopular with teammates? Check. Wasn’t all that injured but stayed out? Check. Thinks he’s bigger than the team? Check…

Coupled with the Brian Wilde radio stuff this gives me hope.

69. russ99 says:

who: Are you not concerned that the Oilers may have the same issues with Subban that Montreal is having?

70. who says:

russ99: Who cares, first pairing D is such a vital need that we should look past that, plus a fresh start for P.K. in a hungry organization and out of the insane media glare of Montreal (which is way more insane than Edmonton) would alleviate much of it.

Yeah you might be right but we should acknowledge there are 3 significant risks involved. 1) acquisition cost 2) salary cost re cap space 3) potential PK sideshows. Someone else said this could end really well or really badly and I agree with him. Don’t know how much risk Chia is willing to assume. I would be tempted to look at other solutions first.