UPDATE

I had an issue with the blog this evening, so the 5pm post is gone and lots of comments, with only my sincere apologies to show for it. The original blog talked about two college free agents:

• Ryan Lambert: Troy Stecher, a 21-year-old junior D, is likewise an interesting prospect. He’s undersized as well, just 5-foot-11 and 180 pounds, but the points are there, and McKenzie says he’s drawn comparisons to Jared Spurgeon, who’s a good guy to whom one could be compared. Source

A pretty nice get if they can get him and it seems Edmonton does have some insiders. Stecher played on the 2010-11 Penticton Vees, along with Joey Laleggia and Joey Benik.

A bit of a surprise here, hadn’t heard about this young man being a target for the Oilers. The importance of signing these players comes from the wasteland 2014 draft for Edmonton and there is an enormous opportunity.

I also had an update on the Central Scouting List, the craziness in Ottawa and an item on Dennis Wideman that Elliotte Friedman posted in his 30 Thoughts. That and more tomorrow, again apologies for the inconvenience.

AHL action tonight, the Condors were up 2-0 and 3-1, it is now tied 3-3. Le sigh.

12 Responses to "UPDATE"

Rondo:
    This may help

That is my favorite Springsteen song and favorite version of that song. Thanks, Rondo!

2. Rondo says:

Mine too.

3. RexLibris says:

Now is this something we blame Bookje for or is it more of an Eakins thing?

I’m fully primed for the righteous indignation here, just need to know which way to aim the emotional blunderbuss.

Also, Condors eliminate Stockton 6-3.

On Nugent-Hopkins’ 23rd birthday.

Hell, yes.

4. ziyan94 says:

LT, I’m not sure why you’re apologizing, all technology is created by humans, and therefore will have some imperfections. Keep up the great work!

5. Ancient Oilers Fan says:

Subscribe to our RSS FeedFollow us on Twitter

HomeContact

12 Apr 2016 ⋅ by Lowetide ⋅ in chiarelli, entry draft ’16, oilers 16-17 ⋅ 31 Comments ⋅ Tags: chiarelli, college free agents, entry draft ’16, oilers 16-17
    For the last several weeks, we have been discussing college free agents as a workaround for the (nonexistent) 2014 Entry Draft. In the last two days, we have seen some encouraging signs in this regard:

Edmonton would be an excellent landing spot for Stecher, who has been discussed at length on this blog over the last weeks. Here (as a reminder) are a few comments about him:
    Ryan Lambert, Yahoo Sports: Troy Stecher, a 21-year-old junior D, is likewise an interesting prospect. He’s undersized as well, just 5-foot-11 and 180 pounds, but the points are there, and Bob McKenzie says he’s drawn comparisons to Jared Spurgeon, who’s a good guy to whom one could be compared. Source
    Chris Dilks, SB Nation: Stecher is one of the most dynamic defenders in the NCAA. His exceptional skating ability allows him to get up the ice and become a fourth attacker on the offensive rush, while still being able to get back and cover defensively. Stecher should be a perfect fit for the possession-oriented style of play in the NHL that values defensemen that can contribute offensively as well as play solid defense. Source
    Stecher was a teammate of Joey Laleggia and Joey Benik in 2010-11, as all three man played with the Penticton Vees of the BCJHL.

Frank Seravalli’s tweet from this morning came as a surprise for me, had not heard anything about Edmonton being involved. Caggiula has been mentioned not at all by this blog, but he is a pretty famous college hockey player.
    Chris Dilks, SBNation: Caggiula is a smaller forward, but plays with tremendous effort and grit. He makes life miserable for the opposition on the forecheck and plays a strong two-way game. He’s having a sensational senior season as a linemate of first round NHL picks Brock Boeser and Nick Schmaltz. It’s unlikely he is the same type of scorer at the next level, but would make an outstanding bottom six energy player. Source
    Central’s final list is out and there are some interesting items. Instead of placing these thoughts in any specific order, I am just going to go random:
    C Pierre-Luc Dubois moved up from No. 7 to No. 1 on the NA lists. He has been surging on other lists and one wonders if he might break into the top 5 overall at the draft.
    D Charlie McAvoy moves up from No. 9 to No. 6, I have heard and read that he is trending as a prospect. Seems to have a nice range of skills. He shoots right.
    R Julien Gauthier is falling. I think it might be footspeed, or his Koufax numbers.
    D Dennis Cholowski moved way up, from No. 48 to No. 23. That is second-round territory.
    L Tyler Benson fell from No. 21 to No. 24. Considering the injury season, that is amazing. Scouts must love this guy.
    C Noah Gregor spiked in a big way, from No. 75 to No. 45. Skilled player, determined.
    G Evan Fitzpatrick has moved ahead of Carter Hart for No. 1 G NA. I don’t see it.
    List is here.

Elliotte Friedman: Does Dennis Wideman to Edmonton make sense to anyone? Peter Chiarelli acquired him and traded him in Boston. Source
    I am breaking my rule about media (wait until next day) here, so please read Mr. Friedman’s 30 Thoughts by clicking through and reading the entire thing. You will like it, promise. As for the idea of Wideman as an Oiler, well he is 33 years old and coming off a poor season—so he would not cost a lot. I don’t think he is a good fit, though. Wideman would be third pairing and you need that guy (probably) to help your power play. He did not this past season.
    Subscribe to our RSS Feed, Follow us on Twitter or simply recommend us to friends and colleagues!
    Share this postShare on facebook
    RELATED POSTS

NHL DRAFT 2016: NEW TOP 30 AND MCKENZIE’S LIST

TAKING STOCK

GET YOURSELF TOGETHER

G48 2015-16: OILERS AT LIGHTNING

B FLAT AND FOLLOW THE CHANGES (CHIARELLI’S SUMMER)

EXITING THE SYSTEM: OKLAHOMA, USA

PS G5 2015-16: OILERS V WILD
    Procurement 2010

HEROES SAIL

THE SUN’S SETTING DOWN ON OUR TOWN

OILERS RECALL MILLER

DON’T NEED A WEATHERMAN TO KNOW WHICH WAY THE WIND BLOWS

WHEN AUTUMN LEAVES START TO FALL
    1234

RONDO says:
    April 12, 2016 at 5:02 pm
    The Draft Analyst Steve Kournianos has a new mock draft up today.

FIFTHCARTEL says:
    April 12, 2016 at 5:08 pm
    Acquiring Dennis Wideman would make me lose a fair bit of faith in Peter Chairelli.

WOOGIE63 says:
    April 12, 2016 at 5:26 pm
    Driving home tonight listening The Fan 960 here in Calgary, Rob Kerr is interviewing Chris Johnston from Sportsnet. Johnston thought Howson might be in the mix for the Arizona GM, claims Howson is a respected analytics guy and Arizona wants a Money Puck GM to work with Tippett

REXLIBRIS says:
    April 12, 2016 at 5:32 pm
    No to Wideman.
    I had suggested buying him out with a compliance buyout when the Flames were one year into that contract. He needs Yandle-like treatment and what remained of his defensive game deteriorated significantly this season.
    Add to that the recent concussion issue (not to mention the simmering issues with the league post-Henderson) and there are more warning lights going off there than anyone could ignore.
    As for Karlsson, if Melnyk instructs Dorion to listen to offers then you have to push that conversation and sell the owner on shiny baubles like a high pick in this year’s draft and a player like Draisaitl.
    Man, what a day to be a Senators fan.

OF17 says:
    April 12, 2016 at 5:38 pm
    If Wideman were coming off another 50+ point season, I’d be very interested, but that’s a lot of cap space to plunk into someone who can only be counted on in a third pairing role.
    I don’t know how to quantify the effect, but I’d like to only bring in players that are in the habit of making the playoffs. Part of the Oilers’ troubles have been getting out of the rut of losing, something Maroon mentioned early in his time here. Having more voices in the room like Talbot and Maroon can only help to break that mold.
    Trade a 3rd for Andrew Shaw. Go after Demers/Vatanen/Hamonic. Think about signing Backes or Lucic. See if New York wants to move Hayes/Kreider/Miller. Sign Darren Helm. Those kinds of moves. I don’t want to enter another season with only 3 players that have played more than 20 playoff games (Pouliot, Korpikoski, Fayne).

REXLIBRIS says:
    April 12, 2016 at 5:40 pm
    Woogie63:
    Driving home tonight listening The Fan 960 here in Calgary, Rob Kerr is interviewing Chris Johnston from Sportsnet.Johnston thought Howson might be in the mix for the Arizona GM, claims Howson is a respected analytics guy and Arizona wants a Money Puck GM to work with Tippett
    I would welcome that.

GCW_69 says:
    April 12, 2016 at 5:40 pm
    Woogie63:
    Please let this be true. Please let this be true. Please let this be true…

GCW_69 says:
    April 12, 2016 at 5:46 pm
    “It is the world gone mad. If Erik Karlsson is available for trade, the Oilers have to be in on it. And Eugene Melnyk is being ridiculous. He should read up on how old man Molson ran his mouth when the old Habs had their way—as in, not at all.”
    Maybe Katz should be calling Melnyk. Melnyk needs cash and Katz has barrels of it lying around.
    Certainly Chiarelli should be pushing hard. The Sens need wingers and the Oilers have wingers. Maybe Eberle, Yakupov, and nurse/Reinhart?

SPOILER says:
    April 12, 2016 at 5:48 pm
    From Elliott’s list:

So great to hear Bob Cole call the final game at Rexall. What hasn’t got much play is Kevin Quinn voluntarily stepping aside so Cole could do it. Very unselfish.
    Not so sure why Elliott thinks this was a great thing. I have no particular attachment to Cole, who was a Leafs guy IMO.
    I would have liked to have heard Bruce Buchanan do at least a period though.

CENTRE OF ATTENTION says:
    April 12, 2016 at 5:51 pm
    Sure, I take Wideman. Only if Calgary is giving me a second round pick as a sweetener, and the Flames also take Korpikoski off my hands. You know what? Calgary would have to retain 30%, too. Only then would I do the deal.
    There is ways a Wideman trade could work out in the Oilers favor is all I’m saying. Who knows maybe he scores 35 points in a 3rd pair role on top of what you got in the trade? Could Davidson make Wideman servicable in a 3rd pair role? This is assuming they dump Mark Fayne as well.
    Interesting to think about.

LOWETIDE says:
    April 12, 2016 at 5:52 pm
    spoiler:
    From Elliott’s list:

I would have liked to have heard Bruce Buchanan do at least a period though.
    Always liked Buchanan.

KINGER_OIL says:
    April 12, 2016 at 6:07 pm
    – Karlsson is game changer: Hall, Nurse +
    – Katz throws in lots of fat envelopes, lots of stacks of high society in side deal: no one is the wiser….

UNCA MILTIE says:
    April 12, 2016 at 6:14 pm
    I liked Bucky lots as well. He came up to our Canadian Tour event in Fort McMurray every year and gave us great coverage. Have not seen him for years, last I heard he was an assistant golf pro, but that was some time ago.

STELIO KONTOS says:
    April 12, 2016 at 6:16 pm
    Would have been cool if rod philips did a little bit.

BLAINER says:
    April 12, 2016 at 6:18 pm
    The thought of the Sens trading Karlsson is amazing. They are a perfect trading partner IMO as their pipeline looks very thin. While ours is too we do have a lot of youth to trade at the NHL level.
    I would offer Ebs Yak Nurse Reinhart or swap out Ebs with Nuge ..with Hall and CMD off the table.They have to take on one of the core to make the money work.
    I think they comeback and probably ask for Drai Ebs Nurse Yak and the 2016 1st .. We comeback and say the 2017 1st unprotected. That is where it starts getting tough to make happen but IMO that is the return it would take for them to say yes.
    Sooo .. Drai Ebs Nurse Yak and the 2017 1st for Karlsson and a prospect. IMO That might get it done.
    This could happen for sure IF we have something in place with either Backes or Stamkos. Without a big UFA signing it will be a littler harder to complete. They may ask for Reinhart instead of Yak as that is one big hole on D they will have when he is gone.

JJ says:
    April 12, 2016 at 6:30 pm
    Re: Oscar’s Skate Problem
    I had a similar problem this year.
    All of a sudden, one of skates started digging into my shin.
    The next day I had this deep wound and there was no way I could play.
    I cleaned the wound, bandaged, and covered the wound with a plastic disk to protect it.
    I found a tube sock (no foot portion) with gel foam to protect shin at a skate shop.
    Obviously this has happened before.
    Once it healed up, I have been fine.
    I continue to wear the gel foam shin protectors to prevent it happening again.
    Oscar’s future is bright!

JOHN CHAMBERS says:
    April 12, 2016 at 6:38 pm
    One can imagine that Bryan Murray is stepping down partially because Ottawa’s likely best course of action is a full-scale re-build that will take 3-5 years.
    From that perspective they have an almost 26-yo Karlsson at peak value who in theory could offer a return of, say Nuge + Reinhart + 1st rounder, which along with Ottawa’s own 1st and recent picks from last draft (Chabot & White) + Zibanejad, Ceci, and Stone form the basis of a cluster poised to compete in 2021.
    I prefer Karlsson over Subban because his salary is far less constraining and his rushes with McDavid will be electrifying.

GCW_69 says:
    April 12, 2016 at 6:45 pm
    Lowetide: Always liked Buchanan.
    Me too!

JOHN CHAMBERS says:
    April 12, 2016 at 6:50 pm
    GCW_69: Me too!
    Buchanan’s voice reminds me of more prosperous times:
    “Damphouse is going to move it across the line and play it to Nichols. Bernie Nichols pivots and finds Joe Murphy at the side of the net, who scores!”
    Ahh the pipeline. They were unstoppable on the pp that spring.

WATER FIRE says:
    April 12, 2016 at 6:51 pm
    LT – read your ON Chychrun piece, nice work as always.
    In it you describe a player who is like both Nurse and Klefbom, but more talented,say like Ekblad and Doughty but of course not quite.
    Basically a defenseman whose only issue might be the shoulder injuries.
    If those injuries can be DD’d as not having long term implications I just can’t see how you take anyone else other than Matthews. A 75% NHL translation for a player described like that is more than almost any forward in terms of impact, not named McDavid or Crosby.

ASIAOIL says:
    April 12, 2016 at 7:07 pm
    If Ottawa is that dumb – well you certainly attempt to “help” them – anyone but CMD is on the table. Give them the Pronger deal Lupul (Eberle), Smid (Reinhart) and 3 first round picks after this year. FIVE ASSETS!
    But I’d also not be sad at all to draft #3 and have an easy choice in drafting Puljujarvi. A line of Hall-CMD-Puljujarvi would be insane – and RW is a potion of extreme need given our non-existent depth at the position.

JAY ARRR says:
    April 12, 2016 at 7:26 pm
    AsiaOil:
    If Ottawa is that dumb– well you certainly attempt to “help” them – anyone but CMD is on the table. Give them the Pronger deal Lupul (Eberle), Smid (Reinhart) and 3 first round picks after this year. FIVE ASSETS!
    I was going to say almost the same thing – I saw it referenced in a previous thread that the Pronger deal would be a good template for Subban. But Karlsson?? Sign me up. I’d do the deal you proposed even if they asked for Nurse instead of Reinhart. Not a second of hesitation.

JAY ARRR says:
    April 12, 2016 at 7:29 pm
    Klefbom-Karlsson would have potential to be one of the best pairings in the league. God speed, Chia.

MRED says:
    April 12, 2016 at 7:36 pm
    Taking a look at the Blackhawks depth-chart… Runblad, Pokka, Haggerty, McNeill, Hartman, Baun at the top of the list. All RH. Weird.

JAY ARRR says:
    April 12, 2016 at 7:39 pm
    blainer:
    I think they comeback and probably ask for Drai Ebs Nurse Yak and the 2016 1st .. We comeback and say the 2017 1st unprotected. That is where it starts getting tough to make happen butIMO that is the return it would take for them to say yes.
    Sooo ..Drai Ebs Nurse Yak and the 2017 1st for Karlsson and a prospect. IMO Thatmight get it done.
    I can’t see a trade happening that involves that many roster players. The contracts and cap implications would be too messy, IMO.
    I think the question that I would ask myself in Chiarelli’s chair is “how many first round picks would I give up for Erik Karlsson?” I suspect that is what the Senators would be after, in addition to a young blue chipper (e.g. RNH, Drai, or Hall). But, if the Oilers win the draft lottery again (and let’s be real, they will), would the 2016 first overall (Matthews), and the 2017 and 2018 first round picks get the deal done?

SPOILER says:
    April 12, 2016 at 7:41 pm
    How serious is Ottawa about selling Karlsson for the right price? The statement might just be posturing to exemplify accountability. But you certainly have to make the phone call.

WATER FIRE says:
    April 12, 2016 at 7:42 pm
    AsiaOil:
    I’m not sure that fear doesn’t rule a lot of what GM’s do. Because our gracious host has led us all to understand the draft and expectations of youth, and the Oilers have helped him by making sure there was nothing else to be able to care about so we could acquire a taste for his life long hobby/passion, I think at a time like this for Chiarelli I would try to find the courage to really shake things up, but with care.
    Every draft I purport going for more than one high pick. When you are at the bottom is when you roll the dice more. While you are closer to impact players. Soon the Oilers will be looking for gems in places where they aren’t so obviously shiny. A bit of mud on them.
    I also believe that GM’s know what direction UFA’s lean before the draft. That is not to say they know what will happen in negotiations, but whether, like Lloyd Christmas, they have a chance. Buuuuuuurp!
    If I’m Chiarelli, and I win Matthews:
    – If I know I have a good shot to sign Backes or somebody that can handle toughs with greatly skilled wingers
    – I Know I have a very good look at trading for and/or signing the RHD I need
    – I was strongly confident I could pick up a good UFA right wing
    I would keep Matthews, look to acquire any other high picks to get one of the top D (for me Chychrun) and a RW (Finlander) if possible.
    That would be paid for by deals involving RNH, Eberle, Yak, Pouliot, Maroon, and Ference.
    I think I could get a lot of what I want for those guys, and while good, they aren’t team wrecking losses that cannot at least be even trades that create balance.
    Got you with Ference, didn’t I ?
    Perhaps deals like that don’t happen often. It’s true, but history changes, and they have happened. With solvency issues for some American teams, roster issues with rich teams with impatient fan bases, deals can always get done.

SPOILER says:
    April 12, 2016 at 7:45 pm
    Lowetide: Always liked Buchanan.
    My ears would have been okay with leaving Dornhoefer at home though. As bright as he was, that voice was tough to listen to.

GODOT10 says:
    April 12, 2016 at 7:51 pm
    John Chambers:
    The Senators aren’t remotely close to needing a rebuild. They are basically rebuilt. They are a team in need of a good coach, and Bryan Murray has been striking out in that regard. They have Karlsson and Ceci and Chabot on D, and Turris and Zibenijad down the middle, and Ryan, Stone, and Lazar on the wings.

PRAIRIESCHOONER says:
    April 12, 2016 at 8:03 pm
    Why are you guys suggesting trades with all our good guys?
    We have a big Russian defenceman
    A shifty sharp shooting Russian former 1st overall pick
    A Finn going to the Worlds
    2 D men prospects with NHL genes
    I know guys it is just not enough is Omark still available for trade purposes?

CLAY says:
    April 12, 2016 at 8:16 pm
    Is this Karlsson fellow right-handed? If not, pass!
    I keed
    You must be logged in to post a comment.

Clay on APRIL COME SHE WILL

October 31, 2015, 8:45 am

PS G8 2015-16 OILERS AT CANUCKS
    October 3, 2015, 8:30 am
    RSSTwitter

Hahah!! Thanks, Ancient!!!

7. Jaxon says:

Caguilla and Stecher also played with Dillon Simpson at University of North Dakota.

8. mujidog says:

I’m not sure what happened to that post, but I do know that Craig’s on it.

9. Stelio Kontos says:

Damn, I had just finished by comment containing my diagnosis of space time, and the likelihood of the big bang being a cycular event due to the inverse antimatter attraction, and you pull this shit LT?

10. Kmart99 says:

McKeens … really drooling over Laine and throwing the Lemieux comps out there.
    I get that quite a few observers want to compare him to Lemieux and Ovechkin based on highlights but I wonder why he isn’t scoring more? 8 goals in 12 playoff games included, he’s really not producing anything beyond what Barkov and Granlund were able to produce in SM-Liiga.

I think there’s this belief that his production will carry over to the NHL better because he’s big and because his shot is of NHL quality. I just wonder why he isn’t over a p/g if everyone is saying he’s can’t miss. TOI could be the reason, but I remember Pronman reporting that he was getting over 20mins in the game he watched so who knows… There should be TOI comps for players like him so we, as fans, could see what kind of ice time he’s getting compared to what Barkov and Granlund were getting.

Anywho… here are the comps without TOI or context outside of age and league:

Barkov….. 58gp 21g 32a 53pts
    Granlund 49gp 14g 32a 46pts
    Laine…….58gp 25g 18a 43pts

All three in SM-Liiga their draft years.
    Laine is the best scorer by a decent chunk, but we still don’t know the TOI comps.

Barkov recorded 8 goals in 56gp in his draft+1 season with florida.
    He recored 28 goals in 66gp this season. Draft+3

By that measure, if the oil end up with him, Laine won’t be able to keep up with Hall, Ebs, or Nuge for at least 1 more year offensively. If the plan is playoffs next year, trading the pick is the move imho. Even if you’re picking 1 or 2.
    Laine shoots right, could have an immediate impact, and comes with years of control, but it’s unlikely he’ll be top 6 material for at least one more year based on the only other 2 high end forwards to come out of that league in recent memory.

11. who says:

Kmart99:
    McKeens … really drooling over Laine and throwing the Lemieux comps out there.

I think there’s this belief that his production will carry over to the NHL better because he’s big and because his shot is of NHL quality.I just wonder why he isn’t over a p/g if everyone is saying he’s can’t miss.TOIcould be the reason, but I remember Pronman reporting that he was getting over 20mins in the game he watched so who knows…There should be TOI comps for players like him so we, as fans, could see what kind of ice time he’s getting compared to what Barkov and Granlund were getting.

Anywho… here are the comps without TOI or context outside of age and league:

Barkov….. 58gp 21g 32a 53pts
    Granlund 49gp 14g 32a 46pts
    Laine…….58gp25g 18a 43pts

All three in SM-Liiga their draft years.

Barkov recorded 8 goals in 56gp in his draft+1 season with florida.
    He recored 28 goals in 66gp this season.Draft+3

By that measure, if the oil end up with him, Laine won’t be able to keep up with Hall, Ebs, or Nuge for at least 1 more year offensively.If the plan is playoffs next year, trading the pick is the move imho.Even if you’re picking 1 or 2.

So your reasoning is to trade him because he might not be top 6 material next year. Isn’t that a little short sighted. If the Oilers don’t make the playoffs next year does the world end. If we draft second he will be the best player available and fills one of the biggest needs on the team, right shooting pure goal scorer, albeit maybe not next year. Seems like a no brainer to me. Keep the pick.