RE 15-16 CONNOR MCDAVID: FIVE DAYS IN MAY

Sometimes the world begins to set you up on your feet again. The Edmonton Oilers, stuck in the middle of nowhere, threw the luckiest punch of this or any other century and landed The Future. There are no words, rhymes or chimes to truly describe it, beyond the universal line we all share in historic moments: “Where were you?” and that’s about all there is to say about it. I was in my easy chair, stone cold shocked and spilling my wine. I’m still a little that way about it. It is a delight to see greatness emerge in real time. We should all enjoy this, and remember it. (Five Days In May)

CONNOR MCDAVID, 2015-16

• 5×5 points per 60: 2.69 (1st among regular forwards, No. 2 NHL)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 6.68 (1st among regular forwards, No. 5 NHL)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 51.3 (3rd among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 4th toughest competition among regulars (2line)
  • Qual Team: 9th best among regulars (3line)
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: 13.6(1st among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 105 shots/15.2%
  • Boxcars: 45, 16-32-48

(All numbers via Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com and BehindtheNet.ca)

WAR-ON-ICE PLAYER CHART

war on ice sledgehammer

Connor McDavid as an NHL rookie delivered an impact season—when healthy—and there should no doubt in anyone’s mind about his status as the league’s top freshman. If he had been healthy for another 10 or 15 games, the Calder would be a lock. Even then, he might win it.

RE 15-16: 70GP, 23-39-62 .886

ACTUAL 15-16: 45GP, 16-32-48 1.07

1. He blew away your RE. McDavid has the kind of ability that is going to produce games with two or three points regularly. I think he will win more than one scoring championship and he could win one next season. He is so, so good.
  2. How many times did you see him live? Including pre-season? Probably 10. It wasn’t enough.
  3. Best memory? The game in Calgary early, the goal against Columbus, that touch pass to Pouliot against Montreal (I think it was Montreal) all rank. What a fantastic player.
  4. Was he all you thought he would be? It sounds strange, but I think he is probably more than I thought he would be—especially the speed. It is shocking.
  5. What do you hold in your mind’s eye? I remember a scout saying something about when he was even with a defender (as in the defender had him marked) it was already over. Hearing it, and then seeing it—there is delight in that moment. McDavid does something no one else does, he performs this magic, where he can trick space and time and transport himself to a different place in a heartbeat. Except it isn’t a magic trick, or Hollywood effect, it is a teenager touched by God. I can’t really describe that feeling, the moment where five decades of watching hockey stands upright in your brain and says ‘what the hell was that?!!’ but that’s McDavid. And he can do it on the next shift, and the delight is the same, or better. Connor McDavid games cause a stir that few other men have managed in my lifetime. He is appointment viewing, year one.
  6. How long before this is his team? It is McDavid’s team now.
  7. No, I mean how long before they begin to build the team around McDavid? Today. Now. This instant.
  8. Well, they aren’t going to toy too much with the Hall cluster. Chiarelli would blow the Hall cluster in two if it meant winning the Stanley. The media avail made that much clear.
  9. How? Peter Chiarelli on getting defensive help: “I am reasonably confident I’ll be able to address it in a meaningful way, yes. If you asking whether in a trade or not, that’s probably the most effective way.” Source
  10. You prick!!!! You are absolutely framing the issue!!!!! Read Jones article again. He says point blank he doesn’t have to trade Hall, Nuge or Eberle. (article here). Sure, he says he can trade the pick. If he wins the lottery, that can work (trading down). My point is, at some point, Chiarelli may have to decide a trade is in order and it won’t come from the McDavid cluster. Chiarelli must have a list on his white board of blue he wants (Karlsson, Subban, Pietrangelo, etc) and a mental list of players he is willing to trade if the return is there. We can argue about what player is going, but the ask is the key, and the players (Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Pouliot, etc) won’t be in the McDavid cluster.
  11. McDavid cluster? When did you start on this? Back last summer and fall.
  12. By the way your RE SUCKS! AND you projected GOBS of offense! AND you promised us strumpets! You keep saying that, never promised strumpets. I pegged Edmonton’s offense at 2.80/game, they finished 2.48/game. If you add in all the injuries—I would argue far more severe in total and quality than could have been anticipated—that isn’t such a terrible total. I was off by 27 goals.
  13. Okay, but you blew the GA! You always do! You’re so BAD!!!!! I projected Edmonton’s GA at 2.73/game. The team finished at 2.99/game. I was off by 21 goals.
  14. You were off by 48 freaking goals! Stupid Stupid Stupid! Again, factoring in the injuries, et cetera, I am fine with the projection. Oilers had a terrible string of injuries to much of their best players. Hall was a stone alone. And Chiarelli kept his powder dry, not buying a blue nor adding one either. I thought he would, wrote about it last summer.
  15. Yeah well. Who did McDavid play well with? Jordan Eberle had 1.32 goals per 60 minutes with McDavid, Maroon scored 1.79 goals per 60 minutes with 97. Everyone played well with McDavid, to be honest. Yakupov posted 3.51/points-per-60 with McDavid. Hey-Zeus.
  16. What were some of CMD’s really good numbers? He posted 34 EV points in 45 games, as a teenage rookie. He had 33 takeaways, that is a nice number based on GP, age and rookie status. McDavid is already ridiculous, but those takeaways often involve him skating over and taking the puck away with extreme ease. Has to be damned galling if you are the other guy.
  17. Crazy fancy numbers? War-on-Ice has his Individual High-Danger Scoring chances at 64, No. 4 on the team despite the missed games. He had 17.25/60 On-Ice HDSC for, tremendous number. My favorite fancy is his 5×5/60 of 2.69, No. 2 in the entire league behind old man Jagr.
  18. Who will he play with next fall? Among the current wingers, probably Maroon—Eberle and the left side is Hall and Pouliot. All three LWs will probably see time with him, and of course the right side is under construction.
  19. He was terrible with Hall. No, McDavid went 2.41/points-per-60 5×5 with Hall. Not the best number, but certainly one that justifies further pairing.
  20. Did Eberle save his Oilers career with his run alongside McDavid? Early days, but I get the sense (and this is just me talking) it might take more than 14 to get that defenseman Chiarelli wants. If so, then Eberle on RW is not a bad fall back position for this roster.
  21. Any other names for RW with McDavid? A few, actually. Patrik Laine might be a perfect fit, if not this coming year then in the future. Quick release, he is a bigger man, et cetera. Gretzky did well with a Finn, maybe the Oilers are destined to get another HHOF Finn for their generational center.
  22. Anyone else? There are a bunch of free agents who could be available this summer, and signing one shouldn’t be difficult. The opportunity to play with CMD should be compelling. I will list Kyle Okposo, Troy Brouwer, Teddy Purcell, David Perron and Lee Stempniak. Long list here.
  23. Who will they add to help the McDavid cluster? I think the top adds will be on defense, and those adds will be passing and carrying defenders. Names that have been mentioned include Sami Vatanen, Tyson Barrie, Travis Hamonic, Justin Faulk another others. Jason Demers will be a free agent in summer, and may be the most attractive because only money is required to get him here.
  24. Will the Oilers draft and sign former Erie teammates? Great question. I doubt they get a chance to grab Alex DeBrincat in the draft—he will probably go in the first round, after Edmonton chooses and before their second-round pick arrives. Nick Betz is a free agent right now, I imagine the Oilers have interest in him (Chiarelli-type). Great name, if he ever becomes an Oiler, suspect we will hear some Baby Got Back remakes.
  25. Why this song? So very many reasons. First, it is a brilliant love song, hard to do after so many hundreds of years of writing love songs. Second, there are myriad passages that can be applied to McDavid and the Oilers—’Sometimes the world begins to set you up on your feet again’ and ‘How will you ever know, the way that circumstances go, always going to hit you by surprise’. It also helps that the line ‘you are the one’ figures prominently. I always thought this song should have gotten more play, but the album it came from had about 10 great songs pushing. There are some fabulous live versions, but I chose the studio because of Cuddy’s wonderful vocal and that tremendous piano.

89 Responses to "RE 15-16 CONNOR MCDAVID: FIVE DAYS IN MAY"

Today on the Lowdown, TSN1260 at 10 this morning.

1. Steve Lansky, Big Mouth Sports. Jays, Raptors and the goalies in this spring’s NHL playoffs.
    2. Guy Flaming, Pipeline Show. U18 in Grand Forks coming up and there are a LOT of draft eligibles there.
    3. Matt Iwaynk, TSN1260. Our Point/CounterPoint this week focuses on the name Peter Chiarelli is most likely to trade this summer.
    4. Paul Almeida, SSE. We will chat about Chiarelli’s list of needs this summer.

Friday! 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

2. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Thanks for using Blue Rodeo LT. I had no idea they were a big deal. If you had asked me to name a single song I couldn’t do it.

But then I start listening and I realize I both recognize and like a ton of their music. It’s music I’ve heard on the radio for years, and always enjoyed, but never thought about. This song in particular is one I quite like, but had no idea it was Blue Rodeo.

I think I’m going to buy the album when I get home.

3. dustrock says:

Not many players in the NHL in the last 20 years have that “I just jumped up in my chair, spilled my beer and fist pumped to myself because it was so awesome” skill level.

4. Woogie63 says:

Who is going to be McDavid’s vet. winger that will help him grow into a superstar?

5. Ice Sage says:

McDavid’s a keeper.

We inflate our Oilers around here but there aren’t any flaws in his game (or his off-ice aspects). He brings a new level of everything to this outfit.

Keen to see him play (at least) 5 Days in May for the Oilers.

6. Ancient Oilers Fan says:

I was sitting in a plane on the tarmac in Sydney, Australia scheduled to take off at 6:00 PM, Edmonton time, for a 16 hour flight to Vancouver.

I was refreshing the Lowetide site every 10 seconds hoping to get the news before takeoff.

The first indications were posts that said informative things like wooohoooo and Yessssssss! I’m thinking okay are they just clowning around? No actual confirmation just wild babble.

Went to TSN as engines revving and read: “Edmonton wins McDavid”. Whoosh incommunicado for 16 hours.

7. nvan97 says:

I have been watching hockey with a critical eye for about 17 years and he does certain things, like you mentioned LT, that I have never before seen a hockey player do. The only game I went to this year was on my birthday and happened to be against Columbus. The Goal created this surge of electricity that was directly tied to this revelation among the faithful that we are watching greatness unfold before us. 3 months off, 1st game back and he pulls off a goal that has an overwhelming combo of speed, puck control, balance and deking. This is going to be an incredible ride.

8. vinotintazo says:

Ancient Oilers Fan,

heh… funny thing, I left for a roadtrip from Edm to Vancouver that night around 9pm, I was the driver and totally forgot about the lotto…

around 4 AM I was getting tired, and remembered the lotto, somehow I managed to open up twitter and saw that we won, I intantly woke up and was smiling the rest of the way there.

will never forget it.

9. John Chambers says:

Ancient Oilers Fan,

You at least got some excellent daydream material for the flight.

10. John Chambers says:

I was in the car listening to the lotto on the radio driving back with my kids from Kits beach in Vancouver. Daddy started shouting and honking the horn all of a sudden.

I needed to stop and reassure them everything was okay.

11. haters says:

Woogie63:

Hall comes to mind.
    6 years in the league.
    Hall McD Laine ….. Drool……

The other Finn would also work, maybe even better considering he plays physical and can retrieve pucks for those two.

I am very anxious what Peter will do. He hasn’t exactly filled me with confidence in his choices this year. The leash is short, like preseason short.

At least for me, I don’t speak for anyone else. That would be boring.

Demers and Sami and a swap of Klef for Hamonic is what would make me smile. Love Klef but we need bonifide.

12. russ99 says:

For me the best moment is when Subban had him trapped on the wall and he somehow came free and scored one of his incredible goals. I don’t recall being completely taken aback by the impossibility of it all watching hockey like that before.

it will be very interesting to see him find new ways to make defensemen look ridiculous, as it seemed that the opposition were fairly successful at taking away the “feint shot, fake goalie out of his skates, score easily” move late in the season.

Dare I say it – his breakout winger could be… Draisaitl.

13. Rondo says:

LT,

U18 in Grand Forks should be interesting for draft eligible Mikhail Sergachev , Chychrun and Puljujärvi.

14. Bruce McCurdy says:

russ99:

that was the Pouliot goal referenced in the post. McDavid made Subban look absolutrly silly on the side wall in front of the penalty box, then chipped the puck through for Pouliot to zoom in & bury it. One of the plays of the season.

15. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Malkin is playing 3c tonight for the Pens. He is on the 1st PP unit with Crosby Hornqvist Kessel and Letang.

They obviously need to trade him. Can’t have that. #toomanyCs

16. Pajamah says:

I have 3 distinct hockey memories, where I can remember where I was and who I was with etc.

Game 7 2006, walking down Whyte with my brother. Seriously, AMC probably used that footage in The Walking Dead. Shambling, broken, shells of human beings.

Canada winning gold on Sidney Crosby’s goal. In my current house in the living room. Wife and kid were upstairs the entire game, and came down and the US scored to tie. I’m not proud, but superstition dictated they were banned from the living room until the game concluded. I yelled “GOLD!!!” about 6 times. I went ol’ timey prospector.

and “We have a winner”. I texted just about everyone in my phone. No one believed me. It was unbelievable.

17. OilClog says:

Oilers can’t buy out Ference due to him not having surgery until March…

Things stay the same as it ever was.

18. wheatnoil says:

Already in his career you just expect him to do something incredible every game. When when he doesn’t score (the rare times), he still does something that blows you away… that just makes you grin. Then I think, “He’s ours for at least 7 years!”

And then I laugh and laugh and laugh.

19. wheatnoil says:

OilClog:
    Oilers can’t buy out Ference due to him not having surgery until March…

Things stay the same as it ever was.

2) Perhaps that was their plan, delaying the surgery and then LTIRing him for the year, thus ending his cap hit one year early.

20. PeOiler says:

Is strupmet one of those ‘you best not urban dictionary that at work’ words?

21. Stelio Kontos says:

Just have to make sure he doesn’t get caught up with a hollywood star. If there is a young hot oil fan out there, this is your contribution.

22. ASkoreyko says:

The goal against Detroit where McDavid basically ran interference against Richards blue line to blue line and then separated by about 5 feet on his way to the net was special.

It showed his smarts, creativity, edgework and pure speed all in one segment. I don’t know if I have ever seen another player attempt such a move before.

Pure Joy.

23. Bruce McCurdy says:

PeOiler:
    Is strupmet one of those ‘you best not urban dictionary that at work’ words?

The term was actually coined by Shakespeare.

24. frjohnk says:

We all know McDavid is one of the best players in the NHL. One of the things he does well is make everybody around better

Look at what he did with these players.

Pouliot scored 2.95 pts/60 with McDavid as his center
    Pouliot scored 1.3 pts/60 without McDavid

Maroon scored 3.16 pts/60 with McDavid as his center
    Maroon scored 0.96 pts/60 without McDavid

EBERLE scored 2.64 pts/60 with McDavid as his center
    EBERLE scored 1.38 pts/60 without McDavid

Yak scored 2.63 pts/60 with McDavid as his center
    Yak scored 0.83 pts/60 without McDavid

Yeah, some of the sample sizes are small ( Maroon, 133 minutes with McDavid) but he makes everyone around him better.

25. rickithebear says:

wheatnoil: 1) It’s possible they still could. Depends when he’s “cleared”, which is a bit of a loose definition in the off-season.

Requiring him (NMC) to be Protected in Exp Draft.
    Sekera
    Ference

7-3-1
    4-4-1

26. wheatnoil says:

rickithebear: Requiring him (NMC) to be Protected in Exp Draft.
    Sekera
    Ference

7-3-1
    4-4-1

Further, if Ference officially retired the day before the expansion draft, he would still have collected all his money for the year, but wouldn’t be an active player that needs to be protected.

There’s lots of permutations of this playing out.

27. linkfromhyrule says:

I was at the 5 point game against Toronto. The rest of the team was basically a non-factor, but Mcdavid made it look easy. It was incredible. It was also my final Oiler game at Rexall. It’s something I will never forget, not the least of which because it was one of the only games I saw live where the Oil actually dominated a team.

After a fairly lacklustre first period, the innumerable Leaf fans at the game were starting to get chirpy (I see why my boss gave me his tickets for this game, man Leafs fans are just the worst). The loudest and most annoying were sitting directly behind me, of course.

By halfway through the third they had been reduced to whispering “oh shit, here he comes” every time Mcdavid would come through the neutral zone with speed. It was beautiful. I loved it.

This fan base deserves Mcdavid and so much more. It still makes me smile knowing that he’s ours, likely for his entire career. Wonderful.

28. bendelson says:

When we won the lottery…

I went out an bought all the girls on my block colour TV’s and a bottle of French perfume.

When we won the lottery…

I went out an bought all the girls on my block Silver plated six-shooters and a quart of the finest Highlands Scotch.

When we won the lottery…

29. rickithebear says:

frjohnk:
    We all know McDavid is one of the best players in the NHL.One of the things he does well is make everybody around better

Look at what he did with these players.

Pouliot scored 2.95 pts/60 with McDavid as his center
    Pouliot scored 1.3 pts/60 without McDavid

Maroon scored 3.16 pts/60 with McDavid as his center
    Maroon scored 0.96 pts/60 without McDavid

EBERLE scored 2.64 pts/60 with McDavid as his center
    EBERLE scored 1.38 pts/60 without McDavid

Yak scored 2.63 pts/60 with McDavid as his center
    Yak scored 0.83 pts/60 without McDavid

Frjohnk:

Ebs injured 13gm:

Ebs returns early with Mcdavid hurt.
    to dec 2
    13gm 3G -11
    .231 GPG .231 PPG

Dec 4 to jan 23: no mcdavid
    24gm 8G 11A 19P Even
    .333 GPG .792 PPG

Feb 2 to end of seasons Mcdavid available.
    32gm 14G 11A 25P -1
    .424 GPG .782 PPG

Healthy RNH-Eberle going PvP last year was 1.08 PPG

30. frjohnk says:

These line combos are not exact, as they did not all play together for these time periods.

The most dominant scoring line throughout the year was Benn, Sharp and Seguin. Adding their numbers up, they put 1.96 pts/60 and created 14.1 High Danger Scoring Chances + Scoring Chances Per 60 Min

McDavid, Maroon and EBERLE. Adding their numbers up, they put 2.52 pts/60 and created 15.22 High Danger Scoring Chances + Scoring Chances Per 60 Min.

Before McDavid, Maroon produced scoring chances like a 3rd/4th liner. EBERLE produced chances just over an average NHL player.

With McDavid, Maroon and EBERLE produced chances that put both in the top 15.

A healthy McDavid with two really good wingers ( and 4 healthy top 4 Dman) next year will be part of the best line in hockey.

He is that good right now

31. jonrmcleod says:

This post of mine is from earlier in the week, but it’s on topic with the McDavid RE:

32. rickithebear says:

wheatnoil: We don’t know whether NMCs for contracts that are expiring on June 30th next year need to be protected or not. The whole thing is, as of yet, unclear.

There’s lots of permutations of this playing out.

Ah yeah I know we negotiated no movement for ALL league movement.

But exp draft Ferr get about it!

Contract exp june 30.

Exp drafts before the draft.

NMC is no movement to any team.

Being picked by another team.

Moves you to that team.

Am I missing something!

33. frjohnk says:

rickithebear: Frjohnk:

Ebs injured 13gm:

Ebsreturns early with Mcdavid hurt.to dec 2
    13gm 3G -11
    .231 GPG .231 PPG

Dec 4 to jan 23: no mcdavid
    24gm 8G 11A 19P Even
    .333 GPG .792 PPG

Feb 2 to end of seasons Mcdavid available.
    32gm 14G 11A 25P -1
    .424 GPG .782 PPG

Healthy RNH-Eberle going PvP last year was 1.08 PPG

EBERLE has had a really good history of scoring and producing chances before this year.

In the last 5 years, he is one of 11 forwards ( Hall is in here as well) who have played more than 150 games and put up more than 2 pts/60 , created more than 1 high danger scoring chance per game, and created more than 2 scoring chances per game.

A healthy EBERLE has shown he is an elite scoring winger.

McDavid just makes him better.

34. ruotsalainen says:

I don’t think I can add better words to discussion of McDavid, so I will leave it.

I however came across this from Jim Matheson this morning:

“The Blackhawks say they’ll find a way to re-sign restricted free-agent Shaw, but he may be looking in the $3.5-million range after pulling an annual salary of $2 million. Because the Hawks are deep in forwards, they might have to trade one of the NHL’s most versatile players for, say, a cheaper third-pairing defenceman. Shaw can play all three forward positions and would be an ideal third-line centre. If you were the Oilers, would you consider giving up Brandon Davidson, if the Hawks asked? ”

Huh? Eesh!

35. who says:

haters: Hall comes to mind.
    6 years in the league.
    Hall McD Laine ….. Drool……

At least for me, I don’t speak for anyone else. That would be boring.

haters: Hall comes to mind.
    6 years in the league.
    Hall McD Laine ….. Drool……

At least for me, I don’t speak for anyone else. That would be boring.

haters: Hall comes to mind.
    6 years in the league.
    Hall McD Laine ….. Drool……

At least for me, I don’t speak for anyone else. That would be boring.

haters: Hall comes to mind.
    6 years in the league.
    Hall McD Laine ….. Drool……

At least for me, I don’t speak for anyone else. That would be boring.

haters: Hall comes to mind.
    6 years in the league.
    Hall McD Laine ….. Drool……

At least for me, I don’t speak for anyone else. That would be boring.

NO NO NO!!! Forget Klef for Hamonic. Klef is as good or better already. The idea is to have both of them. Forget Demers and Vatanen

rickithebear: Ah yeah I know we negotiated no movement for ALL league movement.

But exp draft Ferr get about it!

Contract exp june 30.

Exp drafts before the draft.

NMC is no movement to any team.

Being picked by another team.

Moves you to that team.

Am I missing something!

One can expect some common sense in the expansion draft rules. Players with expiring NMC’s are not likely to have to be protected. And if the they do, Ference will undoubted waive his NMC, and permit the OIlers to leave him unprotected.

rickithebear: Ah yeah I know we negotiated no movement for ALL league movement.

But exp draft Ferr get about it!

Contract exp june 30.

Exp drafts before the draft.

NMC is no movement to any team.

Being picked by another team.

Moves you to that team.

Am I missing something!

Yeah, you’re missing the fact that:

1) No expansion draft has been officially announced
    2) There are not expansion drafts rules that are official (see point 1)
    3) The NHL and NHLPA have not negotiated what a NMC for an expansion draft means becuase the player isn’t put on waivers and there is not language in the CBA that addresses this so its up for negotiation.

38. TeeVee says:

“Where were you?”

I came in off my deck after enjoying a beer and waiting for the steaks to cook. Picked up my phone and there was a flurry of hater texts from friends and family.

My response to them? “Suck it losers!”

39. who says:

ruotsalainen:

I however came across this from Jim Matheson this morning:

Huh?Eesh!

Would not trade Davidson for him. Shaw is an effective player but is fairly easily replicated. A couple of names to throw out there that haven’t been mentioned before are Tyler Bozak and Eric Fehr. If Toronto still wants to dump players Bozak might be available for cheap. Right hand center that can play with skill players, is effective on the power play and is good on face offs. 2 years left on his contract at 4 mil so his contract would expire when we need to re sign MacDavid. Fehr came into the league with a rep for being skilled but soft and lazy. He is now playing center for a pretty good Pittsburg team, is killing penalties and taking d zone faceoffs. Bigger body than Bozak and still has the good hands. Don’t know what his contract status is.

40. russ99 says:

Woodguy: Yeah, you’re missing the fact that:

1) No expansion draft has been officially announced
    2) There are not expansion drafts rules that are official (see point 1)

This.

I suspect the expansion draft rules will change after negotiation with the NHLPA in order to deal with the NMC and minimum salary unprotected issues, since one doesn’t seem possible for many teams without NMC rules being lax.

IMO, the best idea is to allow 1-2 NMC protection slots per team that count against the salary total, so NMC’s aren’t thrown away and a few more younger players can be protected.

41. Drew says:

Ancient Oilers Fan:

The first indications were posts that said informative things like wooohoooo and Yessssssss!I’m thinking okay are they just clowning around?No actual confirmation just wild babble.

Went to TSN as engines revving and read:“Edmonton wins McDavid”.Whoosh incommunicado for 16 hours.

love this story, i was at my daughters dance competition and was running out every minute or so to check updates…

saw the celebrations, smiled went inside to watch my little girl perform with biggest smile ever. oh she was great as well. gold medal!

42. Todd Macallan says:

Re: Where were you when it happened?

Out for a late night skate with some buddies here in St. John’s, in the locker room with a beer sarcastically predicting that the Oilers would once again win the lottery (never actually believing my own words). Rush home, thinking I had made it in time for the lotto but sadly just in time to see George interviewing McDavid. While sitting through the interview, all the while not knowing who won, just assuming it wasn’t Edmonton, decided to check my phone. Tons of texts from friends out West, the first being along the lines of “you’ve gotta be f***in kidding me!”

It was then that I became suspicious but still my brain wouldn’t allow itself to consider the possibility. Then George wraps up the interview….”there you have it, the EDMONTON OILERS have one the draft lottery and Connor McDavid.”

So, while I missed the actual Daly Moment (have since watched countless times), I take solace in the fact that when the golden ticket was revealed I was in a small, dingy rink in NL holding a beer, jokingly predicting the unthinkable.

43. G Money says:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

44. meanashell11 says:

Re: Where were you

I was in Turks and Caicos. My wife and I were hosting a cocktail party and even though every moment since the end of the season all I had thought of was the lottery, it had completely slipped my mind all day. The last guest left around 8pm and I started to clean up when my phone rang. My oldest son asked “did you see my text messages?” Sorry, no. Been busy. When he told me I did not believe him, I thought he was pulling my leg. Then I checked….. if you believe in yin yang that was payback for August 9, 1988.

G Money:
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

Yup

46. OF17 says:

In all likelihood, we’ll never see an Oiler as good as McDavid for the rest of our lifetimes. Players like him come along every 10 years or so, and if you say each team has an equal chance of winning the lottery 10 years out, well, you can do the math.

We have the undisputed most valuable asset in hockey right now. McDavid is untouchable because there’s literally no one better we could trade him for.

47. TheOrangeDesk says:

rickithebear: Ah yeah I know we negotiated no movement for ALL league movement.

But exp draft Ferr get about it!

Contract exp june 30.

Exp drafts before the draft.

NMC is no movement to any team.

Being picked by another team.

Moves you to that team.

Am I missing something!

Yes, common sense! The league isn’t run by a computer that only deals in absolutes. They’re not going to make you protect a player who’s contract expires in a week or 2. Can you think of a single team in the league that would agree to that rule? obviously not.

Long time lurker, I rarely post but had to get that off my chest. Love the blog Lowetide and the posters here are great!

48. season not played says:

In about November 2014 I remember saying to a co worker if we somehow end up with McDavid the play is to move anything required except him and RNH to build a team(defense) around two good centers. My view hasn’t changed very much except now I would sub Draisaitl for RNH and would like the third center to be a bigger body two way guy who can win a faceoff.

On another note. when TMac talked about delinquent play there would be the obvious candidates of Jultz and Yakupov, but I wonder who else he was talking about????

I also wonder if delinquent play which creeps back like a disease is curable in certain players or is it better to cut the head off the snake and move forward with McDavid as the undisputed ring leader?

49. BONE207 says:

My “where were you moment”: Hooking up a new HD screen for my folks. First show watched was the draft. My 82 year old Mom ran to the room where I was, thinking I was attacked by the TV, suffered a heart attack or lost my mind. At least 2 of these were correct. Drinks all around.

50. G Money says:

frjohnk: But from Nov 1st ( just a few games before Draisaitl started playing center with Hall) to the all- star break, adding their numbers up together, Hall, Draisaitl and Purcell put up 2.51 pts/60 and created 12.9 High Danger Scoring Chances + Scoring Chances Per 60 Min

Whoa, be careful there Padre! Can you explain how you’re generating those numbers?

Are you adding individual numbers together (filtered by time to try to approximate for the line combo) to come up with a line value?

And are you adding HDSC + SC? HDSC is a pure subset of SC:

SC = HDSC + non-HDSC
    which means
    SC + HDSC = HDSC + non-HDSC + HDSC = 2xHDSC + non-HDSC

i.e. adding them up (if that’s what you’re doing) means you’re double counting HDSC.

Not that it’s a bad thing as you then begin to get closer to a danger weighted statistic, which, you know, I may have a slight bias towards!

However, if you’re looking to line combos, until I publish my NerdAlert end of season summary (which will have DangerFen for all line combos and defense pairs), I’d consider using corsica.hockey, which has line combos built in and calculates ‘expected goals’ for them.

xGF is a danger-weighted location-based metric, so in many ways is a more sophisticated sophisticated stat than is DangerFen (though it is black box and regression based, so I have my concerns …)

Here for example are the corsica xGF numbers for the line combos you mentioned:

Hall-Drai-Teddy xGF/60 3.02
    McD-Ebs-Maroon xGF/60 3.58
    Benn-Sharp-Seguin xGF/60 3.15

51. frjohnk says:

G Money: Whoa, be careful there Padre!Can you explain how you’re generating those numbers?

And are you adding HDSC + SC?HDSC is a pure subset of SC:

SC = HDSC + non-HDSC
    which means
    SC + HDSC = HDSC + non-HDSC + HDSC = 2xHDSC + non-HDSC

Here for example are the corsica xGF numbers for the line combos you mentioned:

Hall-Drai-TeddyxGF/60 3.02
    McD-Ebs-Maroon xGF/60 3.58
    Benn-Sharp-Seguin xGF/60 3.15

Yes, I added individual time together.
    I gotta check out corsica.ca

52. Jethro Tull says:

“Where were you….”

At a kid’s birthday party at Dixonville hall. Pissed at missing the lottery. My kids started acting up, so I throw myself on the hand grenade of taking them home so I could listen on the radio. But before I had turned the radio on, I just had this feeling that we’d won. Turned on radio, heard Bob S waxing lyrical, so decided to swing by the village store and pick up some beer. Got home, put the squids to bed, went to the fire pit with beer, radio and smart phone had myself a great time trolling Calgary and Vancouver fans.

53. Jethro Tull says:

I also commented at the time that I just loved the smirk Bill Daly had when he pulled out our card. Always wondered if Gary had pissed him off earlier that day.

54. BONE207 says:

Jethro Tull:
    I also commented at the time that I just loved the smirk Bill Daly had when he pulled out our card.Always wondered if Gary had pissed him off earlier that day.

Wouldn’t you smirk too if you saw that logo and knew they won this thing so often, you’d think, it figures?. Either that or he foresaw the belly aching around the hockey world this would generate. I saw the video of the draw with the KPMG accountants and those in the private room who were sworn to secrecy when they made the draw. Bettman was in that room so those people knew the day of who had won. I don’t remember if Bill was there. Then again…maybe he remembered what Bettman may have said after the draw and it made him smile?

55. Hockey Buddha says:

I was at a house party in Edmonton, with about 50-60 people, when I heard the news about McDavid. Someone smart had turned the TV on. I couldn’t believe it. I was in conversation with someone at the time. No sound on the TV., but it was behind them, as I was conversing. A house with about 50 people in it went temporarily nonlinear. Memorable day for sure. A fortunate day for Edmonton’s team. Improved an already good party atmosphere. Great player.

56. digger50 says:

In regards to the Oilers and McDavid draft:
    I turned my TV off about 15 years ago. I was always into hockey, particularly as a player, until “life happened” Kids in particular and at that point I lost interest in hockey and paid no interest to the Oilers except for an odd game here and there.

Last spring I just happened to suggest to my wife that we go around the corner for a rare drink and a chat. We stopped in (haven’t been back since) to a small pub and sat down. After ordering, my interest went to the TV as they were talking about the NHL draft lottery. I did not know they had a draft lottery but it looked entertaining. As it played out I quickly became enthralled as the Oilers name was called as the winner and the bar erupted in cheers. I too thought “awesome, that’s frickin great, Oilers won something” happy days. Then I thought “who the heck is McDavid?” Funny as well when I asked a guy near me “can they sell this McDavid guy?” I was remembering Pocklinton, Gretzky and had heard stories about Katz, I was just curious. The table beside me looked at me sidweways with “huh?” written all over their faces. “who’s the stupid guy?” Just FYI they figured he could be sold for cash at about 25M.

I’m embarrassed at this now. I was around for Gretzky days. I did play WHL but could not stick as I was what is described now as undersized. In order to try and stay in the league I did have 1.5 fights with a guy named Wendle.; unsuccessfully. That was the past. In the present day 2015 I was completely out of touch with hockey.

So since that day it has renewed my interest in the Oilers. I did not miss a game this year and I follow every Oilers move with interest. My youngest son played Novice this year. I have been asked to coach next year but declined – I am still too rusty for that but I mention as it also has rekindled my interest.

I also display too much optimism when I view the Oilers. I have not suffered through 10 losing season, I did not experience that. I have only experienced one 29th place season just delivered and I see a blessing in disguise. We “should have” been much higher but since we are not, lets look at it as a gift, and that is one last chance to grab another extremely talented draft pick.

I can state for a fact that come 2016 lottery day I know where I will be and that is back out with my wife at that little pub. So long story and a little bit about me, but that is the importance of McDavid and the draft lottery to me.

57. Todd Macallan says:

Digger, great story, welcome back! I’d say you picked a fine time to rejoin this wonderful game of ours.

58. stush18 says:

There’s lots of permutations of this playing out.

Not only that, but I cannot see the league requiring you to protect a NMC on an expiring contract. the expansion team wouldn’t pick that player because he could be lost to free agency.

59. The Hermit says:

I watched the draft at home.

Remembering the Yakupov draft and hoping MacT was able to obtain Tambellinis lucky tie.

Knowing the odds were not with the Oilers I had almost no hope of them winning the lottery.

Watching the draft unfold, and when Daly turned over the card with the Oiler logo, seeing gold and hearing him saying “We have a winner”, I screamed “Are you fucking kidding me?!”

I still get shivers when reliving that moment.

As to the wonder of McDavid, the was a play against Calgary where Connor and a Flame were contesting a puck by the boards and another Calgary player thought he had McDavid lined up for a hit.

McDavid saw him somehow and to me appeared to alter the space/time continuum as he teleported backwards about 2 feet causing the Calgary player to miss him and hit his own player. The look of shock on the Calgary agressor was priceless. 🙂

I have never seen a faster player than Connor.

60. One-Timer says:

Don’t know if this info has been posted yet, but Jim Cuddy will be doing a benefit concert (Edmonton Public Schools Foundation) on May 27 at the Citadel’s Shocter Theatre. Tix are $100. Show starts at 7 and will feature Martin Kerr as well as some kindergarten singers.

Also,
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTT!!!!

61. One-Timer says:

My fave CMD moments this year: when he made Vinnie Lecavalier look like a bantam player not once but twice inside of a few minutes of ice time.

It’s not that I dislike Vinnie, it was just funny as hell.

62. Ancient Oilers Fan says:

frjohnk,

Just a thought but you may have added EBERLE to your dictionary.

If you add Eberle you may not be so obvious about your man crush.

63. DRFNsuperstar says:

“Friedman believes when #TBLightning tried to trade up to get #FlaPanthers’ pick (2014/Ekblad), offer was Vasilevskiy, Drouin & their 1st.”- Chris Nichols Twitter

Trade that pick down Chia!

64. G Money says:

*** SIR SPAM A LOT ***

My latest at BLH: http://www.beerleagueheroes.com/year-shot-attempts-crucial-habits-learned-stop-worrying-love-dump-chase/

A lot of it will look familiar!

Hat tip: I also quoted a sentence from one of AsiaOil’s comments.

65. Jonathan Willis says:

I wasn’t sure about the rest of them, but I figured McDavid would get tagged with 5 Days in May.

Brilliant song, brilliant player.

Met in a hurricane, made all the stars around them shine.

66. frjohnk says:

Ancient Oilers Fan:
    frjohnk,

Just a thought but you may have added EBERLE to your dictionary.

If you add Eberle you may not be so obvious about your man crush.

Ha.

The story about the EBERLE thing is that my iPhone corrects his name with capital letters.
    Korpikoski turns into Korpel ski ( should be Korpel Punishment)
    Iginla turns into Iguana
    Sekera turns into Seekers
    There are other “auto corrections” as well. Not sure why my phone does it.

So I have just ran with using EBERLE on my computer as well.

I’m a fan of him, but for balance have no problem seeing him traded.

67. Mustard Tiger says:

digger50,

Not judging , but it seems odd to me that you played in the WHL and didn’t know the NHL had a draft lottery. Where do you think Hall and Nuge came from!

68. Ice Sage says:

DRFNsuperstar:

Trade that pick down Chia!

They would have had Hedman and Ekblad? And avoided the kerfuffle of Drouin?
    Stevey Y playing in the dirt!

69. wheatnoil says:

So G Money sent me some data for the last 10 games and I’ve been using them to correlate my zone tracking work with corsi and danger-fenwick.

So far (at least in this 10 game sample) I don’t see an obvious correlation with zone exits and corsi or corsi-for.

HOWEVER, I do see a correlation with allowing controlled zone entries and corsi against (corsi-rel).

This makes sense. Defensemen should have a greater impact on CA than they would on CF.

Here’s the list of defensemen and their rate of allowing controlled entries into the zone (i.e. the opposing team carries the puck in to the zone). I’ve ordered them from worst to best.

Clendening 24.2 carries/60
    Nurse 22.3
    Pardy 18.3
    Oesterle 18.1
    Reinhart 17.1
    Fayne 16.4
    Sekera 10.0

Now here’s the list of defensemen sorted by CA/60 (worst to best)

Clendening 75.8
    Nurse 66.4
    Pardy 64.0
    Reinhart 60.0
    Fayne 59.5
    Oesterle 56.8
    Sekera 56.3

Pretty much the exact same order except for Oesterle, who happens to be (by far) the best for zone exits, which may be helping his corsi numbers.

If you use G Money’s DangerFenwick numbers…

Clendening 57.2 (DFA/60)
    Nurse 47.6
    Oesterle 46.9
    Reinhart 45.5
    Fayne 40.1
    Pardy 39.5
    Sekera 38.0

Again, matches up pretty well in terms of worst to best. This time, it’s only Pardy that’s out of place, who happens to have the smallest sample size (only 3 of the 10 games), so should probably be taken with a grain of salt… having better DangerFenwick numbers against Calgary and Vancouver shouldn’t be unexpected.

I mean, this is only 10 games. I’ll need more data, which will probably have to wait for next year, but it’s interesting to follow up on that there’s this correlation specifically with corsi against and danger-fenwick against and not so much with the corsi for or DF for numbers.

70. vinotintazo says:

the more I read the more I think we could become the new Colorado Avalanche. Men… do they have talent up front, defence, and a good goalie. why do they suck?

71. frjohnk says:

DRFNsuperstar:

Trade that pick down Chia!

Florida thought long and hard about the Tampa offer.

Friedman figures Arizona will make a push for Matthews but not with OEL. One of the reasons why Maloney was let go was that Maloney was OK with a slow rebuild. Tippet cant stand losing and wants to get better right now. So trading OEL for Matthews is not something Tippet would do. Friedman figured something like Strome, 7th overall +

72. frjohnk says:

vinotintazo:

coaching and not having a balanced roster.

73. bill needle says:

74. fifthcartel says:

That Reilly Smith for Jimmy Hayes trade was really bad. Smith’s corsiRel history is ridiculous and Hayes, while he seems like a decent scoring third liner, doesn’t look too favourably compared to Smith.

The Seguin trade was still bad, but Chiarelli did pick out a nice player there.

75. frjohnk says:

bill needle: 2.5 goals per game – talk about a reality check. if you’re looking for a reason why the Oilers might be getting rid of a “core forward” or two this summer, there’s numero uno.

Yeah, I think they get rid of Korpikoski as well. Not sure how my phone will react to that.

bill needle: If the Oilers lose the McDavid lottery, they probably finish 10 to 15 points out of 29th.

Wow, so a full season with McDavid would have put us at about 80 to 85 points. Minnesota made the playoffs with 87 points.

You are very convincing, so if you think a healthy McDavid makes this team close to playoff worthy, I’ll take your word for it.

76. Ice Sage says:

vinotintazo:

That’s a great comparison and one of my fears as the Oilers ‘progress’
    Totally agree with what FRJohn said and:
    – too high a skill to size/grit ratio (like the Oilers although at least progress is being made here) to compete in the west.
    – too much nepotism in hiring (Sakic, Roy) which sounds vaguely familiar
    If they ditch Roy and hire Hitchcock they’ll be solid.

77. Centre of attention says:

frjohnk: Friedman also said that Vancouver offered Garrison, Shinkaruk and the 6th overall.
    Florida thought long and hard about the Tampa offer.

Friedman figures Arizona will make a push for Matthews but not with OEL.One of the reasons why Maloney was let go was that Maloney was OK with a slow rebuild.Tippet cant stand losing and wants to get better right now.So trading OEL for Matthews is not something Tippet would do.Friedman figured something like Strome, 7th overall +

Does Michael Stone, a prospect and the 7th overall get Arizona Matthews?

If I’m the Oilers I would do that deal. I love Michael Stone. He’s a righty D that can move the puck, he’s physical and has a decent shot. I doubt they give you Strome but maybe Connor Garland or someone else. They actually have a ridiculous amount of great prospects.

78. Centre of attention says:

Bakersfield running Hunt as 2nd line LW.

Winquist scratched.

Oh my.

79. frjohnk says:

Centre of attention: Does Michael Stone, a prospect and the 7th overall get Arizona Matthews?

If I have the bullet of 1st overall and I’m willing to trade it to turn North quicker, Id be looking to get a better Dman than Stone ( but who I like as well).

I’m not interested in prospects or picks.

1st overall for an impact Dman or keep the pick and trade a roster player ( anybody but McDavid) to fix the D.

80. AsiaOil says:

frjohnk: Yeah, could have been injury on why EBERLE did not score well before McDavid this year.

A healthy EBERLE has shown he is an elite scoring winger.

McDavid just makes him better.

81. frjohnk says:

AsiaOil: Change the time frame to “last 3 years” to remove a career year that happened 5 years ago and you get something which is good but not elite. His ES scoring is similar to other small wingers like Gallager or Atkinson. Jordan Eblerle is a good scoring RW who is paid in full, played in the best possible situations, and brings little else in the way of other necessary skills (checking, size, defensive effort, leadership). Adjust the lens in the most favorable manner possible and forget about any other important criteria and you can define damn near any one dimentional small scorer as elite. We’ve gone through this a dozen times and people still want to put more lipstick on it.

A healthy EBERLE has shown he is an elite scoring winger.
    McDavid just makes him better.

Oops my bad.

I said 5 years.

Should have said 6.

I included his rookie year when saying that he is 1 of 11 forwards putting up those numbers. His numbers would be even better taking out his rookie year.

Using last 3 years, would include Godot’s buddy, Eakins as coach in the equation. Along with Ference and Schultz being at the top of TOI for his Dmen. So these two things might pump up EBERLE’s numbers ( I’ll have to check)

82. frjohnk says:

OK, just checked.

EBERLE last 3 years.

35th in pts/60 for wingers
    14th in creating high danger chances for wingers per game
    30th in creating scoring chances for wingers per game

I used the McDavid cutoff ( 45 games)

On average he is near 15th-17th best RWer in pts/60 and creating scoring chances per game. When it comes to creating high danger scoring chances per game he is in the 7 to 12 spot. It depends on the player, as some play right wing/center.

EBERLE not elite 5 on 5. But close.

83. rickithebear says:

WG:

does a trade to another team require waivers?

Does the expansion draft require waivers?

NMC?

No movement to another team!

Any agreement at this point!

Would be NMC clauses moving forward.

NMC are a cash value action.

Take X dollars less but we will give you a No movement clause.

I am sure teams would be thrilled to come up with a cap value to be added and paid!

Isn’t Connor Murphy a better younger right shot D than Michael Stone?

If the OIlers were to win the 1st lottery, I think they get better offers than what Arizona could muster (unless Arizona included Ekman-Larsson).

Murphy, Arizona’s #1 and #2, plus Domi.

Minnesota and Columbus could offer a better quality D.

Minnesota…. Coyle, Dumba or Spurgeon, and a 1st and 2nd
    Nashville could offer Forsberg and Ellis and a 1st and 2nd.
    Columbus… Savard, their 1st and 2nd, and Rychel

If San Jose crashes and burns in the playoffs…maybe one can get Pavelski and Burns and a 2nd.

85. Acumen says:

Fitting that you chose, in my opinion, the best song from their catalog for the soon to be best player of this generation–and team, I suppose.

I have very strong memories connected to my Dad with this song and ‘Ahead by a Century’ by the Hip. He was a huge music junky, and those were the first two songs that I ever really stopped and asked him to play again, and tell me more about. He was so excited to see the first signs of my musical tastes developing that he went through full albums with me for both (he already owned them) and began my musical education with all the back story he could. They remind me of car rides with him in our old brown car in the fall.

That harmonica, especially, is the first time I really remember getting any kind of strong feeling purely from a song. Melancholy, I think, although I didn’t know the word back then in all likelihood.

86. RJ2016 says:

LT:

Why no mention of RH centres that could play RW with McDavid?

87. AsiaOil says:

Great stuff as always G – where do you find the time? 🙂

G Money:
    *** SIR SPAM A LOT ***

A lot of it will look familiar!

Hat tip: I also quoted a sentence from one of AsiaOil’s comments.

88. RexLibris says:

Five days is almost like a Greatest Hits or Singles album. As an album it works together as a whole with the general themes running through it, but also as you say, LT, virtually every song was radio-friendly and could stand on it’s own. I think it was the album that defined Blue Rodeo to many listeners. You’d pull a coupled of songs off other albums (Try, Lost Together, Montreal, etc) but Five Days was a different beast. I’m almost reminded of Huey Lewis’ Sports where it was just a disc-jockey’s dream of under 4-minute hit songs and a collection that became synonymous with the band for so many people.

And Connor McDavid makes everything we’ve been through the last fifteen years worth it.

I’d love to canvass hockey fans of other teams on their mixed emotions about him being an Oiler – beautiful to see him play, galling to have him do it against “your” team.