WHAT’S THE STORY MORNING GLORY?

As we discussed yesterday, Peter Chiarelli’s farm is rickety and dilapidated. Credit where due, he is trying to add some prospects to the pool but the other 29 teams have cleaned the bones of drafts past. So far this spring, Chiarelli has added:

• March 13, 2016: Oilers sign L Jere Sallinen from Jokerit of Sm-Liiga.
  • March 31, 2016: Bakersfield signs W Joey Benik from St. Cloud State.
  • April 7, 2016: Oilers sign Nick Ellis from Providence.

Chiarelli needs to add more. The good thing? He knows it. How can we tell? Activity.

DRAKE

• Ron Hextall talked about Drake Caggiula: “It depends on how his game transitions from college to the NHL level. He’s a talented player. He’s got speed, he plays hard, he has a lot of good attributes. He’s got a shot at being a top six [player] based on his ability. He’s not the biggest player but he plays hard.” Source

Caggiula was 39gp, 25-26-51 (NHLE is 44 points) and he is a C-L and shoots left. Smaller (5.10, 185) but the kind of speed Edmonton is going to need for the coming years. UND player, so he was once teammates with Dillon Simpson for a couple of years. The report from Frank Seravalli has Edmonton has one of the possible destinations, he would be a solid get.

Extremely likely this is wishful thinking—Sochi might lose him to Moscow for all we know—but Paigin may be on the move this summer. Where would he fit in the Oilers organization? Well, ideally you place him in Bakersfield for 40 games (at least), but the big shot from the point has to be intriguing for Peter Chiarelli and management. I hope we see him in the fall.

winquist ferguson 1415

Winquist photo by Rob Ferguson

I posted my top 20 prospects for the spring yesterday, had Winquist ahead of a bunch of high draft picks. Winquist’s numbers warranted an even higher ranking, but I nicked him because there are things the numbers don’t tell us (speed mostly, but other elements). Bob Green and his staff will probably sign another Winquist (or Braden Christoffer or Marco Roy or Alexis Loiseau) this summer before or after the draft. Here are a few I like, maybe we will see them at training camp this fall.

CHL FREE AGENTS

1. C-R Tyson Baillie. Elite Prospects: Baillie plays a strong all-round game. He has good balance and speed and quick hands that allow him to handle the puck well in one-on-one situations. He sees the ice well, makes skilled passes and creates chances. Source
  2. C Alex Forsberg. Elite Prospects: Gritty two-way forward who earns his minutes. Not the fastest skater but is mobile at a productive level. Handles the puck well and makes conclusive decisions quickly. Not afraid to get physical and play in the hard areas of the ice. All-in-all, a versatile grinding forward with some offensive potential. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016) Source.
  3. F Michael Joly. Ryan Biech: When looking at comparables, Joly’s matches went onto becoming NHL regulars 5.26% of the time. Measuring in at 5’11” and 172 lbs, Joly has some weight to gain. But given his offensive numbers in last years playoffs and the boost in production this season, he may be a worthwhile gamble for a team. You can add weight and strength to a player, but adding good offensive instincts isn’t something that can usually be taught. Sourc
  4. Hunter Garlent. Ryan Biech: Garlent appears to be a classic case of a player who has filled out and is now much larger and stronger than most of his competition. When looking at comparables, 2.6% went onto NHL careers. In my opinion, that number isn’t really worth the dice roll. The aforementioned WHL players give you a 2:1 odd of an NHL regular. Source

If Edmonton brought in Sami Vatanen and Travis Hamonic, the defense would be better in a heartbeat. I would prefer:

• Klefbom—Hamonic
  • Sekera—Vatanen
  • Davidson—Fayne

But the Fayne Train only has one passenger on this blog and that’s okay with me.

CORSI FOR 5X5 D YEAR END

That puts Jordan Oesterle, Griffin Reinhart and Darnell Nurse in the AHL to start the season, but as the past has taught us (with spikes and gravity) these men will soon be flying north. What would trading two forwards do to this lineup? Well, as Bob discussed getting Laine probably means Eberle is going, and maybe the Oilers trade Hall to the Islanders for Hamonic and Ryan Strome (Kepler62 brought it up as an idea last night— I think that is too strong, but worth discussing).

• Maroon—McDavid—Draisaitl
  • Milan Lucic—Nuge—Laine
  • Pouliot—Strome—Kassian

I am not thrilled with that lineup, would prefer the Oilers sign Jason Demers and then deal one of the $6 million dollar men. You? And, as I have been saying for months, if Milan Lucic gets to free agency, Peter Chiarelli is going to be all over that opportunity.

THE LOWETIDE PLAN.

Universally despised, ripped thoroughly by onlookers and casual fans, once again I would like to lay out the Lowetide Plan. I have published this before, so apologies for repeating:

• Find balance. Since Chris Pronger was traded, the Oilers have been so far from balance the mind boggles. Balance can come in very specific ways (two right blue, a righty center to tip in the high passes, or a hammer from the point—even a renowned penalty killer).
  • Add two defensemen who are actual NHL players. We have discussed this at length, I will only say that at this point I am fairly convinced that Hamonic and Demers are the best available (if Hamonic is) options. Vatanen has also been mentioned, my guess is the Ducks would rather trade Cam Fowler. I do think Edmonton can add blue without breaking the bank (more below).
  • Re-stock the system. The 2015 draft looks good early, Edmonton needs to do it again. As well, signing college and CHL and Euro free agents (recently Joey Benik, Colton Waltz, Jere Sallinen—one from each category) is vital. Some for the 50-man, more on AHL deals. This may also mean signing men like Josh Winquist and Marco Roy to NHL deals.
  • Keep the centers three. Why? It sets up everything, just everything. Look, Todd McLellan doesn’t use his 4line at 5×5 too much, but a third line (featuring Nuge, and say, Pouliot) will give the opposition fits on the road, and give cover to the McDavid and Leon lines at home. Adding a righty center to the group is a grand idea, though (more below).
  • Light a candle. I don’t believe in voodoo or witchcraft or the power of a seance, so will go with a simple lighting of a candle. The Oilers have very little depth, so staying healthy will be vital to any success we see next season.

chiarellis trades

CHIARELLI’S SUMMER

1. Top-pairing D to partner with Klefbom (Jason Demers)
  2. Trade pieces for extra D help (Yak for Damon Severson, etc)
  3. Acquire RHC (Andrew Shaw)
  4. Offload unwanted contracts (Lauri Korpikoski)
  5. Backup goalie (Jhonas Enroth, but may cost too much)
  6. Re-stock the system partly through college and CHL signings (Benik, but also Winquist, et al)
  7. Build up the system (especially forwards) via draft (Laine, Tyler Benson)

PROJECTED LINEUP

• Maroon—McDavid—Eberle
  • Hall—Nuge—Draisaitl
  • Pouliot—Shaw—Pakarinen
  • Hendricks—Letestu—Kassian
  • Klefbom—Demers
  • Sekera—Fayne
  • Davidson—Severson
  • Talbot, Enroth

A few things: The actions of Andrew Shaw last night will probably be a topic of discussion and that’s fine by me—conversation and education is a good thing. Please be respectful and remember this blog does not welcome or encourage bullying, shitty behavior or general asshattery. Frankly, I would change Shaw out but he is kind of perfect for the offseason needs list and I had him in mind before the incident. I imagine the cost to get him will be a pretty penny, but Chicago has some cap issues and some defensive needs so this may work.

graduate

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

We are bringing the good stuff this morning, TSN1260 at 10am. Scheduled to appear:

• Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey. Saving Eberle.
  • Scott Cullen, TSN. Blues over Hawks, what a great series!
  • Bret Hedican, former NHL player and commentator for the San Jose Sharks. Can they do it? Beating the Kings is a damned tough thing to do.
  • Guy Flaming, Pipeline Show. U18s and WHL playoffs.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you soon!

106 Responses to "WHAT’S THE STORY MORNING GLORY?"

1. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I think the play with the Islanders is Eberle and Fayne for Hamonic and Grabovski. We get the better Dman, they get the better forward. Cap numbers are about equal. The weaker side of each deal is seen as useful but under-performing relative to cap number. Leaves no holes on either roster.

I also think they would do Yak for Strome straight up.

2. Jethro Tull says:

I need a little time to wake up, wake up.

3. Jethro Tull says:

“Find balance. Since Chris Pronger was traded…..”

This is a little unfair, as Pronger tipped the scales unevenly. It was only a balanced team because they had a HoF d-man at the peak of his powers.

4. Centre of attention says:

Pouliot-Shaw-Kassian is probably the most annoying 3rd line to play against besides maybe Martin-Cizekas-Clutterbuck on the Islanders.

5. theres oil in virginia says:

A few points:

1) Life is crazy…or at least mine is…or at least I am.

2) remember this blog does not welcome or encourage…shitty behavior or general asshattery Aaawww, shucks!

3) The problem I have with the idea that getting Laine makes the more-veteran players (the $6M men) disposable is that we have seen this film before, and the ending is bloody awful. Stop getting younger.

4) I think Sekera – Fayne is a fine 2nd pair, and I like your plan/lineup.

5) I may be going back to the days of looking at boxscores and occasional highlights. The NHL game sucks. Will they ever fix it? Also, I’m insulted by their continued mishandling of the online streaming. I’m not going to dodge the automatic and unskippable commercials anymore. If that’s the product they’re selling, they can keep it.

6. Todd Macallan says:

Educated guess at the elusive “balance” photo:

A never-before seen archived photo of Stan Weir in the stands in Carolina wearing a Gary Carter jersey while watching Fernando shorthanded in OT. In this photo, Weir is not only having a beer, he is also having another.

Come on Chia, the worlds needs to see said photo (or its realistic equivalent).

7. wheatnoil says:

******SPAM******
    Latest update in Zone Tracking, I look at which Oilers defencemen are best at preventing Controlled Zone Entries. As an added bonus, which Oilers defencemen are best at recovering dump-ins.

As always, thanks LT for the spot to share!

******SPAM******

8. wheatnoil says:

Also, related to his post, the above link paints Fayne in a reasonably good light. Maybe this helps explain the corgi?

9. russ99 says:

If we trade a $6M guy for our top pairing D, and move Pouliot, maybe Fayne can stay as either Nurse or Reinhart’s 3rd pairing capable defense-first partner, which we’ve needed for close to a decade.

But I don’t see the cap working out making the necessary changes this summer with Hall, RNH, Eberle, Pouliot and Fayne all on the roster next year.

10. Centre of attention says:

Jethro Tull:
    “Find balance. Since Chris Pronger was traded…..”

This is a little unfair, as Pronger tipped the scales unevenly.It was only a balanced team because they had a HoF d-man at the peak of his powers.

Nah. They had Spachek, Staios, MA Bergeron, Jason smith…

That was a decent D core.

Now they have the opposite problem, because Oilers.

On the topic of next years D-core I am happy with this: Eberle for Hamonic and sign Demers. I will let Fayne play on my team, especially when hes providing stability for a young D in Davidson.

Klefbom-Hamonic
    Sekera-Demers
    Davidson-Fayne

This works for me. If Demers is not able to be signed, then we need to go get Vatnanen.

11. Durag says:

12. GCW_69 says:

I struggle a bit with Hall for Strome and Hamonic. If Hall is to be traded, I hope Chiarelli aims higher in terms of the defender coming back. Subban, Karlsson or Lindholm would be my choices.

The only appeal of the proposed Islander trade is it solves two problems.

13. leadfarmer says:

I think the balance picture is Stan Weir doing the Van Damme splits while balancing the OKC twins above his head while the hurdler girl is bouncing on a trampoline behind him

14. Professor Q says:

I’m actually really excited about the defencemen acquired in the past year (including 2015 Draft). More to come this Summer, surely, but the prospects are looking to be improved.

Just need to work on those forward prospects…

15. Centre of attention says:

By the way, the Oilers power play this year was 21% with McDavid in the line up.

A forward who can stand in the “Ovechkin spot” and get a quick shot off would be more than enough to put this power play into the top 5 league-wide because of Connor McDavid.

The Oilers DO NOT need to go and over pay for the modern day Al McInnis this off-season because a good power play does not have to rely on a heavy point shot.

My 2 cents.

16. Ducey says:

Look at the big CF% for Nikitin. Chia has to re-sign him!

I would not be in favour of signing Winquist. He put up 30 pts in 35 games. 10 of those were on the PP. He is unlikely to be playing the PP in the NHL.

With an NHL equivalency of .45 you are looking at a guy who is soon to be 24 expected to score 31 points in the NHL over 82 games. Realistically you are looking at a small player, who is non physical, poor defensively and likely to put up 20+ points. He is not a fit for the “bottom six” or the top six.

You can easily get such a player from the UFA bargain bin, hopefully with some veteran savvy, leadership, and the ability to play defensively and physically. In other words, a guy with a more complete game who is plug and play, rather than someone who needs development.

We have seen this movie before with Arco, Omark, the Jones boys, and others.

17. Clay says:

The problem with your projected D lineup above is it just isn’t that much better than what they have.

I know Demers shows well in Woodguy’s analysis, but he’s #4 in Dallas in terms of TOI (and #6 so far in the playoffs, but I think injury is an issue) – so what evidence is there that when he’s thrown into top pairing minutes on the worst blueline in the league that he isn’t going to crumble like the rest?

Then a one-dimensional slow defender at #2 RHD?

NJD’s bottom-pairing 21 year-old dman at #3 RHD?

This blueline gets Chiarelli fired. Not to mention wastes another year of CMD.

I’m usually in agreement with you, but I don’t understand how you don’t see the need for real and meaningful improvement on the Oilers’ back end.

18. Woogie63 says:

It is possible that Bakersfield could start the year with;

Nurse, Reinhart, Oesterle, Paigin, Shepyshev, Kahaira, Laine and LB

That seems like a nice list of call ups and a nod to developing talent in the AHL

19. rickithebear says:

So top 12 GA teams have the most HSCA/60 D.

and

harmonic is a bottom 60 HSCAD

Vatanen:
    looked very weak on physical drives to the net by opposition forwards last night.
    but his repeatative stick engagement yield almost no shots in tight.
    He is a 10.50 HSCA/60 d.

our d had 4 bottom 15 HSCA D:
    Scchultz; Reinhart; Gryba; Nurse

and

2 bottom 60 HSCA D
    Fayne; Sekera.
    these 2 can be greatly improved with a drop in comp
    or
    sharing of the 1st/2nd comp

20. Professor Q says:

And yes, I do agree with Lowetide that signing CHL and U.S. University players (or Euro league players) would be a great thing for the ECHL, AHL, and even NHL teams.

21. OilCanFan says:

I’d ONLY trade Hall if a Subban/Karlsson type comes back. You aren’t going to get another player like Hall at $6m

22. jonrmcleod says:

I would rather develop a guy like Shaw than pay to acquire him. I think he’s the type of player you dump when they want a raise.

23. unca miltie says:

I had a good chuckle at this comment.
    Andrew Shaw and the reffing turned me into a blues fan last night. Nice to see them win

24. Todd Macallan says:

Apologies to LT for the reverse 3-for-1, but if we are going down the Hall/Isles path, I think the ask should be at MINIMUM:

Hamonic, Brock Nelson, MDC/Pulock.

I love Hall and would tend to agree that a trade would have to have a PK/Karlsson/OEL/Pietro coming back, but the above would at least get me thinking.

25. ehuisman says:

First, a minor correction: Jokerit plays in the KHL these days.

The second thing is that while Laine is a right-handed shooter, he plays left wing. I’m sure he would be able to play the right side as well, but I’m not sure whether it would make sense.

26. Professor Q says:

ehuisman:
    First, a minor correction: Jokerit plays in the KHL these days.

The idea of having a PP unit which has both McDavid and Laine would be perfect, but it still needs a right-handed D on the blueline. Someone better than any of Demers, Fayne or Severson. Vatanen would be perfect for that role.

Why would it matter if he played Left or Right Wing?

He wouldn’t necessarily be taking over Hall’s position. Hall rarely plays with McDavid.

27. JimmyV1965 says:

Don’t like the idea of adding Severson. Not sure if he can beat out Nurse or even GR for the bottom pairing. If Demers is the best dman we get this summer, I would call it a huge fail for PC. I do like the idea of trading Yak for Strome. Both players need a change of scenery and both had some reasonable success in the past.

28. vinotintazo says:

Centre of attention: In 2008-2009 they had 3 defenseman that had over 30 points. Souray, Lubo, and Grebeshkov. Only 2 other teams matched that kind of offense from the back end. The difference was they lacked the horses up front on both of those teams.

Stauffer is that you?

29. ehuisman says:

Centre of attention:

30. vinotintazo says:

would you trade Leon for Parayko?

31. ehuisman says:

Professor Q: Why would it matter if he played Left or Right Wing?

32. JimmyV1965 says:

OilCanFan:
    I’d ONLY trade Hall ifa Subban/Karlsson type comes back.You aren’t going to get another player like Hall at $6m

Preacher. Choir. The only way we should move Hall is if some GM makes a huge blunder and trades a player he has no business moving. That said. It has happened before.

33. who says:

Todd Macallan:

Hamonic, Brock Nelson, MDC/Pulock.

I don’t think you can get Hamonic and Pulock from Islanders. Pulock and Boychuk are the reasons they can afford to trade Hamonic. I would prefer Trouba and Ehlers instead of Hamonic and Strome for Hall

34. who says:

ehuisman: Well, Laine is a perfect fit for the Ovechkin spot. The problem is that you need a capable right-hand shooting D to feed that one-timer, and none of Demers, Fayne and Severson fit that bill. Vatanen would.

35. rickithebear says:

Forwards Taken first 3 rounds under katz.
    TAmbo:

Coughlin traded
    Vesel (22) NCAA

PC:
    2015:
    None

36. dustrock says:

LT can I post in bold double rainbow all caps for this?

I AM TOTALLY HAPPY IF FAYNE IS OUR BOTTOM PAIRING RHD!!!! That would be a sign of significant progress.

To echo Jethro Tull, I think getting a true #1 d-man raises up your entire d corpse, so maybe they’re actually somewhat threatening, zombie-like, and getting a #2 d-man as well turns it into a living, breathing d corps.

I am sure Hamonic and Demers are targets. I would prefer one of them, and getting a Shattenkirk or Vatanen.

I remind everyone that San Jose paid a fairly hefty price to get 1 year of Brent Burns several years ago. Can we do that with Shattenkirk?

Also: I like Tyson Baillie. Draisaitl might have some pull there.

37. ehuisman says:

who: Don’t see why you need a right shooting dman to feed a righty one timer on the off wing

Despite the fact I have championed having players on their off-wings, on the 1-3-1 it is in the team’s best interest to have the point man be of the same handedness as the primary shooter on the off-wing, even if that means spending some time on his strong side. This is so that a) When the passer/QB has the puck on the half-wall, he has three one-timer options available, something very difficult for penalty killers to cover, and b) the passing lane to the primary shooter from the point man is maximized.

He goes on to provide some very useful GIFs with some very useful explanations.

In any case, the Oilers should try to emulate the Caps 1–3–1 PP formation with McDavid taking Bäckström’s role and, hopefully, Laine being the Ovechkin. Replacing Carlson/Niskanen is the last missing piece of the puzzle, there are multiple options for Johansson (Nuge, Drai, Hall, …) and some for Brouwer as well (Letestu, Pakarinen, Kassian)

38. Todd Macallan says:

who,

Agree with your logic Re: Hamonic/Pulock. Also would be intrigued by the Trouba/Ehlers idea.

McDavid and Ehlers on the ice together would be the definition of rocket skates. Poor Maroon would be trapped in a neverending VO2 max test.

39. Professor Q says:

ehuisman: Well, he was listed as RW in the first lineup. And the Oilers have a lot more depth on the left, especially if and when Yakupov is traded.

When you’re dealing with drafting in that position, being persnickety on something like that (where he could easily switch to either wing or centre, if I remember correctly) seems a bit like staring a gift horse in the mouth, as it were.

40. dustrock says:

wheatnoil:
    ******SPAM******

As always, thanks LT for the spot to share!

******SPAM******

Reinhart is the type of d-man that’s going to show quite well in some areas and fairly terrible (Corsi) in others throughout his career I think.

41. Tapdog says:

GCW_69,

Not sure that a Hall for Hamonic/Strome solves two problems? Hamonic as a RHD that can play, for sure but if Strome is expected to be that third line center we are missing, I don’t think so. This past season he took a total of 95 face offs and winning 41% of them.

We lose that trade 10 out of 10 times

I agree if we are moving Hall out, it has to be for a top RHD like Karlsson or Subban (as examples).

42. wheatnoil says:

dustrock: Another great read, it’s fascinating to get different looks at d-men besides just stats like corgis.

Thanks!

Though, it should be pointed out that Zone Entries & Exits should really impact corsi in some way, shape or form. The point of tracking of them is exactly because they impact shots for and against.

I got some data from G Money and it looks like (over the last 10 games) there’s a correlation between my zone tracking numbers and shot attempts, but I’m not good at stats so I’m working my way through it before I post it up.

43. John Chambers says:

I’ve stated previously that I’m pro-Fayne.

I’ve got a quarrel with any son-of-a-seabiscuit who disagrees.

44. John Chambers says:

Demers played only 15 mins in the loss to Min the other day with Goli & Kling playing 25 each, and Oduya playing 20.

Should we really be referring to Demers as top-pair?

45. Jethro Tull says:

John Chambers:
    I’ve stated previously that I’m pro-Fayne.

I’ve got a quarrel with any son-of-a-seabiscuit who disagrees.

If we have to move him, it shouldn’t be too hard to sell-a-Fayne.

46. Centre of attention says:

No, you ideally have a lefty setting up a right shot Laine for the one-timer. Sekera and/or Klefbom and/or new guy can do that just fine.

Even if you bring in a right-shot D-man for the power play, he would be sliding down a bit from the point to get that shot, and you would need a responsible left-shot player who can pass well to distribute passes from the actual blue line. This can sometimes be a responsible forward [Nuge?] if you are convinced 1 D is all you need.

47. dustrock says:

DOUG MCLACHLAN and I were just laughing about how the Oilers and Flames played a full 7 game series, with 2 OT games, in 10 days. 10 days. in 83-84 playoffs.

And Oilers swept the Jets with 3 games in 4 days.

Now that’s a playoff crunch.

48. Quinlan says:

Having seen this idea brought up pretty frequently the last few days, I thought I’d comment.

In no world do you have a better team after a Hall for Hamonic+Strome trade. Not even close.

Any GM who does this deal should be fired immediately, unless it was Hall who hypothetically asked for the trade. NYI would have to throw in a 1st rounder to get it close, and then some to get it done.

Hamonic is top 4 on a contender, definitely not top 2. Strome has not proven anything yet in terms of sustained offense. In fact, his value is probably at its lowest ever – he’s a scorer and he had 28 pts this year!

So the Oil get a 2nd pairing defender and a 3rd line winger/center, and the Islanders get a truly elite offensive talent who excels at the hardest thing in the NHL – producing offense.

In what way is this a good deal for the Oilers? They are much, much better off not doing it.

It’s awful. It’s not even close to value.

49. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Quinlan,

Correct.

Strome is their Yakupov. Lots of potential but hasn’t put it together consistently. Has been benched and press boxed. Isn’t happy with his utilization. Lots of potential and pedigree.

That’s a “change of scenery” trade that makes sense. Strome has no business in a Hall discussion at this point.

50. Tapdog says:

McDavid and Ehlers on the ice together would be the definition of rocket skates. Poor Maroon would be trapped in a never ending VO2 max test.

Todd Macallan,

lol this is pretty damn funny!

51. Visually better says:

I still think we should be targeting shattenkirk. I just have no idea what the asking price is for him. If we can start next season with:

Klefbom shattenkirk
    Sekera hamonic
    Davidson (fayne)

That’s substantial. Yes we are missing the elite top defenseman but that’s a group with great balance.

The isssue is as always, what we have to give up to get those two and if we can replace through free agency. I’m guessing that either fayne, Davidson (please no), Reinhart, Nurse and one of our Forwards, eberle would be required to get those pieces.

If we hypothetically traded Eberle for hamonic, and then Reinhart, and/or fayne with money retained, plus a 2017 first round pick for shattenkirk is that enough for an RFA?

Hall Drai (?)
    Pou McDavid laine
    Maroon nuge yak
    Hendo letestu Pak

Klefbom shattenkirk
    Sekera hamonic
    Davidson nurse?

Im also with the group of trading Hall but only if you are gonna get that star defenseman back. Hall Is revered around the league and with that contract for a few more years he is obviously a very desired player with a tradeable contract. He would receive much more value than Ebs and we all know ebs can play and find chemistry with each one of our centres. I think that’s is extremely vital especially when we need consistency and not just spurts of points.

(Shaw/Lucic type) Drai ebs
    Maroon McDavid laine
    Pouliot nuge yakupov
    Hendo letestu Pak

Klefbom OEL/subban/karlsson
    Sekera demers
    Davidson fayne

52. Halfwise says:

Jethro Tull: If we have to move him, it shouldn’t be too hard to sell-a-Fayne.

Bold trades are not for the Faynt of heart.

53. dustrock says:

Say, for flits and giggles, that Subban is available and the Habs are willing to trade to the Oilers.

I am not convinced that a straight-up trade for Hall would help the Habs that much, and I wonder if they’d rather have maybe Eberle and Klefbom/Davidson, so they get a defensive piece back.

If it comes down to trading either OPTION A: Hall or OPTION B: Eberle & Davidson, which would you rather do?

54. Fog of Warts says:

I liked Staples’ coverage of the transportation system, but if he hasn’t become completely immolated in the ensuing firestorm (30 km/h residential speed limits is a bike shed used to stockpile ammonium nitrate), he probably wants to fix Gil Penalosa’s name toot sweet en masse.

———

It’s officially off-season—high tide. (Low tide begins in early August and usually carries through—due to anthropogenic factors—to mid-November. Oh! to see a starfish sparkle with hexagons.)

One out of two will have to do.

———

The other night I blasted through And Here’s the Kicker, compiled with competence and craft by Mike Sacks. It’s on my list this morning to capture a few key passages for my own notes.

Here he’s interviewing George Meyer, who began writing on the Simpson’s in 1989. “The Simpsons may have originally been based on Matt Groening’s family, but their hearts and souls belong to Meyer.” Carson couldn’t have done a better build-up with a ceiling full of spotlights. By the end of the book, though, you believe Mike’s every word. He’s good at this stuff and knows his business.

You’ve mentioned in the past that some of your best writing is done when you go into sort of a trance. Do you consider writing almost a form of hypnosis, where you lose track of time?

Losing track of time is a sure sign that you’re immersed in the joy of the experience. You’re in the state that [psychology professor and author] Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi calls “flow.” Actually, I had to be in that state now, just to get his name right. [ed—he should try typing it, right after putting a fly up Staples’ nose] The work you do in this state has grace and ease and resonance. It’s the opposite of what Michael O’Donoghue used to call “sweaty” comedy, when you’ve laboriously squeezed out something tedious, and the effort shows.

When you’re “in the zone,” a joke will just land on you like a butterfly, and only if you scrutinize it later do you see how it came together from disparate elements. Maybe it’s an amalgam of an old half-idea, or something you saw on your way to work, or a strange symbol on someone’s T-shirt. And it happens in an instant. Of course, this state is elusive; it has to be cultivated.

How to you cultivate it?

You have to be prepared. You need basic writing skills, of course, but you also want to have lots of raw ingredients rattling around in your skull: vivid words, strange song lyrics, irritating euphemisms, disastrous experiences that have been bothering you for years. To feed this stockpile, you need to expose yourself to the real world and all its hailstones.

The other essential is humility. You have to be willing to look stupid, to stumble down unproductive paths, and to endure bad afternoons when all your ideas are flat and sterile and derivative. If you don’t take yourself too seriously, you’ll bounce back from these lulls and be ready for the muse’s next visit.

———

Man, where’s a shallow swimming pool when you need one for a prompt second baptism?

BTW, god of improv Bill Murray—favourite “B”aptism ever †—gets extensive coverage in the interview with Harold Ramis ‡ (there’s not a dud interview in the entire book).

———

[†] Uppercase or lowercase baptism?

———

[‡] Pretty much everything he did in the movie was improvised … The speech he performs as he cuts off the heads of the flowers with a garden tool was completely improvised. Only the action is indicated in the script: “The greenskeeper, Carl, lops the heads off tulips as he practices his golf swing …”

———

Do I need to add any more ceiling spots? If you like humour, and you like sausage machines, and you still remember M*A*S*H like yesterday, get the damn book. [*]

———

[* [ed—There’s an excellent three-headed dagger in the Klingon character set, which standard Unicode unfortunately lacks]] Another book I was reading last night, Clear and Simple as the Truth, tells me that by switching into imprecation, I’ve just ruined the stylist effect of my entire post, although I guess I had already waded pretty far into the non-classic tallgrass with all these footnotes and intrusive editors.

55. Water Fire says:

John Chambers:

Should we really be referring to Demers as top-pair?

He just came back from injury. His record over the last few years doesn’t necesarily show his TOI as top pair, but he plays all game phases and does so fairly well. What the Oilers desperately need isn’t the best D in the league, it’s another experienced payer who can skate, pass and shoot.

There are too many one trick ponies and it is the source of imbalance. I don’t see them as having bad players now, just limited players or rookies.

What is needed is high quality veteran cover to let rookies play at the right level and time for the farm system to be fixed. Like Sekera. He isn’t perfect but makes a world of difference.

I could handle one trade for a D, but unless there is somebody special gutting the forward corp will lead to other problems. St Louis has this issue, great D, great depth, but one elite offensive forward with experience.

Watching them last night it made me think that Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester are really good, but if they played for Edmonton they’d be pilloried for not being physical enough.

Duncan Keith is brilliant, one of my favourites, and Seabrook seems to have a fork in him (perhaps he’s banged up) but please no Chiarelli. I don’t think the Hawks were able to shore up the lack of depth enough at the deadline, Ladd and the others were invisible.

Yesterday’s game was a perfect example of why you have to also be able to place and chase. The Blues were all over the skill players, no time no space, and the Hawks couldn’t get the board work done.

56. CrazyCoach says:

Durag: Pretty random thought, but the bit on Paigin got me thinking – might Connor playing at the WHC be a good advertisement for Euro free agents? With only 45 NHL games to his name, the legend may not have grown outside of North America, but hopefully the European players will see some of the tasty passes he’s serving up and think “I want me some of that”.

I like the cut of your jib young man.

It will be even better when they win!

57. GCW_69 says:

Tapdog:
    GCW_69,

Not sure that a Hall for Hamonic/Stromesolves two problems? Hamonic as a RHD that can play, for sure but if Strome is expected to be that third line center we are missing, I don’t think so. This past season he took a total of 95 face offs and winning 41% of them.

We lose that trade 10 out of 10 times

I agree if we are moving Hall out,it has to be for a top RHD like Karlsson or Subban (as examples).

Strome also played Right Wing this year.

I think Strome has more offensive upside than Nelson, but if the focus is 3C then Nelson is probably a better fit.

58. who says:

ehuisman: Did you read the article by Arik Parnass I linked to? Even a bit of it? Well, let me quote:

He goes on to provide some very useful GIFs with some very useful explanations.

No I didn’t read the article but I understand the premise, I just don’t think that it is imperative the Oiles have a right hand dman to quarterback the powerplay. Let’s just get 4 legit top 4 dmen in the lineup every day before we worry about a powerplay quarterback or worry about which way he shoots.
    In a perfect world all the right wingers and right defenders would shoot right and we would have 2 righty centers but that never happens. We are not playing with toy soldiers here. Every position player does not have to fit a certain mold.
    In my mind the Oilers don’t need to emulate anybodys powerplay. They have enough skill guys to have a very good powerplay without a righty shot dman. There’s lots of ways to run a successful powerplay, It doesn’t have to look like the Capitols powerplay, or anyone elses.

59. Diesel says:

I will be Corey Crawford pissed if Hall is the chip played in a Hamonic deal; damn near regardless of the supplementary pieces.

60. Магия 10 says:

“Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey. Saving Eberle”

The summer flick I want to see? With three 6 million dollah brothers in harms way Tom Hanks goes behind enemy lines to save Private Ryan.

61. season not played says:

Quinlan,

I don’t think truly elite offensive talent means what you think it means.

62. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

LT…what the he-ck are the Eagles doing!?

63. GCW_69 says:

JimmyV1965:
    Don’t like the idea of adding Severson. Not sure if he can beat out Nurse or even GR for the bottom pairing.If Demers is the best dman we get this summer, I would call it a huge fail for PC.I do like the idea of trading Yak for Strome.Both players need a change of scenery and both had some reasonable success in the past.

Severson is a right shot defender. For CorsiRel for the last two years has been +3.7 and +3.3, so consistently better than his peers, and he played the second most powerplay minutes of any Devils defender last season. He had the most points of any Devils defender. He is also 6.02 and 205 lbs.

Meanwhile, Nurse and Reinhart got buried on CorsiRel and delivered no offense.

64. GCW_69 says:

Why do you say Severson doesn’t fit the bill? He was second on the Devils on PP TOI and led the team’s defence with 21 points.

John Chambers:

Should we really be referring to Demers as top-pair?

He came back early from shoulder injury.

He was averaging 20:54/gm before the injury.

He hasn’t been the same, the shoulder probably isn’t near 100%.

He was very good this year.

66. nafnikufesin says:

People get on Chia for the Reinhart trade, but reframe it this way: a lot of people thought that Sather was asking what we paid for Reinhart as what he wanted for Talbot. If chia had paid that much, i would still see the Talbot trade as a win.

So what if Chia had traded what we paid for Reinhart for Talbot instead, and then traded what we paid for Talbot for Reinhart instead. We’d still have traded exactly the same thing for the same two players, but I don’t think anyone would be arguing the price Chia paid.

In other words, I think it’s a wash. Reinhart didn’t immediately address our needs, but draft picks wouldn’t have either. In a couple years, this trade may look very different, maybe better, maybe worse. Too early to call. The only thing one could criticize is that could those to picks have been used to get more immediate help? We were never going to compete for the cup this year regardless, so was it more forward thinking to get a young enough player that could still be part of “the McDavid cluster” when we start our string of cup runs in a couple years? 🙂

67. Quinlan says:

season not played,

That’s not really a way to start a reasonable discussion; I’m not interested in trading barbs.

Have a nice day though!

If two right shot D are acquired to push Fayne down to 3rd pairing RD, I have no problem with Fayne. But if those two right shot D are acquired, then Chiarelli is looking to trade Fayne in a legitimate hockey deal.

Demers is the last option to fix the defense because he is not available till July 1, and it would be foolish to wait/depend on a UFA signing on July 1.

Chiarelli will want to have fixed the defense before July 1. I expect the RFA D expecting offer sheets on July 1 (Trouba, Jones, Vatanen, Lindholm) will be resolved by signed contracts or trades before the draft like Hamilton last year.

St. Louis and the Islanders will probably want to resolve the Shattenkirk and Hamonic situations before the draft.

69. season not played says:

Quinlan,

You’re right. I apologize.

Have a nice afternoon.

nafnikufesin:

In other words, I think it’s a wash. Reinhart didn’t immediately address our needs, but draft picks wouldn’t have either. In a couple years, this trade may look very different, maybe better, maybe worse. Too early to call. The only thing one could criticize is that could those to picks have been used to get more immediate help?We were never going to compete for the cup this year regardless, so was it more forward thinking to get a young enough player that could still be part of “the McDavid cluster” when we start our string of cup runs in a couple years?

The Oilers depth chart on left D at the time of the trade for Reinhart.

Klefbom, Nurse, Davidson (and Nikitin and Ference)

Sekera was still just a faint hope at that point.

Kleftbom, an unproven CHL grad, and an unproven AHL grad…

People who criticize the Reinhart trade were betting on an unproven CHL, an unproven AHL grad, and a UFA signing that might not have happened.

71. G Money says:

GENERAL asshattery?

I’m pretty sure I’m an Admiral.

72. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

G Money:
    GENERAL asshattery?

I’m pretty sure I’m an Admiral.

*clap, clap, clap*

73. Dr. Taboggan says:

Andrew Shaw would be a great add. I guess it depends on price tag and his next contract.

John Chambers:

Should we really be referring to Demers as top-pair?

Also, DAL ran Goligoski-Klingberg a lot like Oilers ran Klef-Schultz.

Lots of TOI, but tried to get Sekera out against the toughs, except with DAL it was Oduya-Demers out against the toughs.

Blends to the QC so that the top 4 are all pretty close.

75. Melman says:

I really hope Chia doesn’t chase Lucic. I have a hard time seeing ML being worth $5M more that Maroon and I like that Poo is a different player than the Marron/Lucic model. Spend the $ on the D. If the wingers to start the year are Hall, Poo, Maroon, 1 of Yak or Ebs, Pakman, Laine + either a new vet hire or Leon (if a vet C comes in) that’s pretty solid.

Hall for Hamonic and Strome is silly. Would you trade Hall for Klef and Yak? No gracias

76. Quinlan says:

season not played,

We’re all good. Appreciate the response.

Since we’re talking about Strome, what about his linemates? Prince and Quine have been surprisingly good in the playoffs so far.

Anyone know why OTT gave up on Prince? I seem to recall the fancies liking him there, though admittedly his boxcars were underwhelming.

And didn’t Quine play with Daniil Zharkov? I may be mistaken.

Also, seems like Snow has a knack for picking up these kinds of players. Odd guy who does things his own way, but he’s building something nice with the Islanders. Losing Okposo will hurt, but they could be contenders for a long time.

77. Shaw insight; Dubas staying with Leafs; Neely on Bruins (Puck Headlines) – NewsBlog says:

[…] • Comprehensive strategy for restocking the Oilers farm system. [Lowetide] […]

78. Jaxon says:

PS Second half of Paigin tweet:

“Patrick C
    ‏@ChunkletsHockey
    #KHL: No word on whether Butsayev meant that Paigin is probably coming to NA, or likely headed elsewhere in the KHL. #Oilers (2/2)”

79. john says:

first time, long time.. thanks LT, your site is a gem! i love your takes and the forum of ideas you’ve helped create.

ehuisman,

i think you’re spot on, thanks for the article.. all else equal, having more one-timer options on the pp makes sense.

80. GCW_69 says:

godot10: The Oilers depth chart on left D at the time of the trade for Reinhart.

Klefbom, Nurse, Davidson (and Nikitin and Ference)

Sekera was still just a faint hope at that point.

Kleftbom, an unproven CHL grad, and an unproven AHL grad…

No, people who criticize the Reinhart trade believe Reinhart couldn’t materially help that pathetic depth chart and the assets should have been used on a proven defender, either at the draft or post draft. The problem, as you point out, was obvious. Reinhart didn’t address the problem.

81. dustrock says:

GCW_69: No, people who criticize the Reinhart trade believe Reinhart couldn’t materially help that pathetic depth chart and the assets should have been used on a proven defender, either at the draft or post draft.The problem, as you point out, was obvious.Reinhart didn’t address the problem.

Part of the problem was that Reinhart hadn’t been tracking well for the Islanders, or at least, not as hoped for for a 4th overall pick. Given the acquisition cost for a prospect not living up to his draft billing as some kind of immediate assistance for the Oilers D corps seems silly.

82. GCW_69 says:

Quinlan:
    season not played,

We’re all good. Appreciate the response.

And didn’t Quine play with Daniil Zharkov? I may be mistaken.

This may help

“There were also rumours following Prince. The big rumour was that he wanted an NHL contract, and if he didn’t get one he would’ve bolted to the KHL. There were also rumours about a behind-the-scenes offer-sheet from Tim Murray for one of his favourite players to come join the Buffalo Sabres. But both of these past summers, Prince has said all the right things publicly and re-signed with the team.

The first sign that management wasn’t so high on Prince came during last year’s stretch run. Prince was called up for two games as part of prospects getting a chance to play down the stretch to show what they could do. Matt Puempel would get the next call-up, and he stayed for 13 games because the Sens weren’t messing with a winning roster. When Puempel’s season ended to a high-ankle sprain, Prince didn’t get the spot. It confused many that Prince didn’t get a shot despite playing better than Puempel in the AHL and the NHL.”

83. blainer says:

This is how I view the Reinhart and Talbot Trades.

I have lumped them together. So for me the trade is…

No. 16 , 33 , 57 , 74, and 189.. for Reinhart Talbot and Paigin.

The Paigin pick may make this trade a win all on it’s own. Way too early IMO to judge this trade.

With the emergence of Davey this year I fully expect Reinhart or Nurse to be included in a trade at the draft.

While I said the draft would be really interesting last year for us and it was I think the moves that happen this year will be even bigger.

Chia needs to get these trades done right !!

84. Water Fire says:

I can’t find comfort in players that can only play if the others do the real work. Fayne just doesn’t suit the Oilers. It’s not that he’s a bad player it’s that the Oilers have to be able to move the puck to succeed, and having a D that has to find his partner first with a pass makes them to vulnerable to getting hemmed in.

Trade Fayne and sign Lovejoy who is highly mobile, and can both defend and pass for cheap at lower levels and is UFA I beleive. the Oilers don’t need thugs, having players that won’t go in for being pushed around is enough, and I think they are mostly there.

85. Stelio Kontos says:

If someone doesn’t want Shaw because he said a mean word, I don’t know what to say. If that is the criteria, who can you sign?

86. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Water Fire,

I’ve never seen his numbers but Lovejoy is almost universally “Poulioted on” by the Penguins twitter-verse, who are generally the analytical types. Doesn’t sound like he’s the solution.

87. SwedishPoster says:

I think the smart play with Paigin is to keep him in the KHL for one more season and be the top pairing go to guy. Have him feel comfortable in that position, let’s remember that he’s only done a very brief spell as a first pairing D. Might be smart to give him a full season with his newly aquired status in his home country before putting him on NA ice in a country where I doubt he understands much of the language and ask him to succeed. If he stays in Russia he’s likely to get a regular spot on the NA team to further tune up his level of play.
    I don’t think the AHL would hurt him but the sense is that russian players get restless pretty quickly if they can’t win an NHL spot fairly soon, which is only logical when they know can get more money and recognition in the KHL, so imo the closer to NHL ready the better with russian prospects or you risk losing them before they hit their stride. To some extent the same goes for swedes, though the AHL has gotten a slightly better rep the last few years.

88. Jaxon says:

I’d be satisfied with only one UFA signing like Jason Demers as long as that was supplemented with 2 or 3 young RD or close-to-NHL-ready RDs. Eastern conference (easier trade partners) right handed D with some size, offensive skills and no skating issues include Michael Paliotta, Madison Bowey, Robbie Russo, Alex Petrovic, Mark Pysyk, Ryan Pulock and Damon Severson. Trading for these players will not create holes elsewhere.

89. AsiaOil says:

As others have said – counting on Demers as a top pair solution is foolish as he is a 2nd pair RHD. Does this look like a top pair defenseman?

Only 23 points on a a near career year in terms of shooting percentage. Sorry but I don’t pay much more than he’s making right now ($3.65 million) and he will get more. Much more. Pass

I like RD Severson and would not mind RW Smith-Pelly from NJD – maybe Reinhart, Yak and 2nd round pick for Severson, Smith-Pelly and NJD first round pick? Then get Hamonic from NYI for Nurse and draft Sergachev if we pick #4.

Klef Hamonic
    Sekera Fayne
    Davidson Severson
    Sergachev

Not perfect but do-able by the draft – and we still have all the Austins (potentially deal one in July) and see what happens at free agency. If you can somehow dump Fayne and sign Demers for about $4 million in July then wonderful – build Chia a statue. But Demers is probably going to get crazy coin by a desperate team and I don’t want it to be us.

90. rickithebear says:

24G averages top 50 in goal scoring!
    Forwards with 24g/season 5 of last 5 years (15 in 12/13)
    Eberle faces other teams best PvP during this period.
    All other PvP forwards will be noted.
    per season avg shown

Ladd (PvP)

Hall is 4 of 5 seasons PvP
    Backes 3 of 5 seasons PvP
    Brouwer 2 of 5 seasons 32g; 25g 21G ad 2 seasons of 18G 14.6 Shooting %

Mcdavid looks good for 30G

AsiaOil,

Why is this your criteria for a top pair Dman?

Would you exclude everyone who’s point totals are similar to him?

92. Chachi says:

Woodguy:
    AsiaOil,

Why is this your criteria for a top pair Dman?

Would you exclude everyone who’s point totals are similar to him?

Don’t answer him! It’s a trap!

AsiaOil,

Here’s the top 60 NHL Dmen 5v5 pts/60 over the last 2 seasons, minimum 1000min to qualify.

CARLSON, JOHN 1.37
    CONNAUTON, KEVIN 0.83
    MILLER, KEVAN 0.82
    HUTTON, BEN 0.82
    DEKEYSER, DANNY 0.81
    LILES, JOHN-MICHAEL 0.81
    MCNABB, BRAYDEN 0.8

Notable names that are near or below Demers

Near (within 0.05pts/60) Weber, Vlasic, Muzzin, Boychuck, Green, Markov

Players below Demers: Stralman, Brodie, Myers, McDonaugh, Yandle, Braun, Faulk, Keith, Ekholm, Johnson, Hamonic, OEL,

If you’re using points then non of these players are first pair material either.

PP points is a seperate issue entirely and have nothing to do if a player “is a 1st pair Dman”

Also,

Chachi: Don’t answer him! It’s a trap!

🙂

94. Chachi says:

Woodguy,

Alas, I was too late!

95. Mr DeBakey says:

Well, as Bob discussed getting Laine probably means Eberle is going

This is fuckin’ insane!
    Add 18-year-olds and WIN BIG; its a proven formula for SUCCESS!

the Lowetide Plan. I have published this before, so apologies for repeating

No need to apologize, I think this is why the internet was invented.
    Guys hereabouts repeat themselves ad nauseum.
    And the worst of it is, I’m one of them, and my percentile is high.

Mark Fayne for Mayor!

96. Mr DeBakey says:

Klefbom, Nurse, Davidson (and Nikitin and Ference)

Marincin

How many got here ahead of me?

97. Acumen says:

vinotintazo:
    would you trade Leon for Parayko?

I would. I would feel totally insane and totally justified doing so as well. I can’t remember the last time I was this immediately impressed by a rookie D. Maybe Doughty. I love Colton Parayko the player, and I think he moves into untouchable category next year. Shades of Pronger and Weber to his game.

98. AsiaOil says:

Woodguy,

I like Demers as a decent 2nd pair RHD – he does a lot of things well – but nothing outstanding. Good ESP/60 but PPP/60 is only 2.3. My main point is that I think we already have this player on our roster – his name is Brandon Davidson – and we are paying him $2.8 million total over the next two years. Paying serious UFA dollars for a Demers type of player (Sekera lite) seems like it may be a really bad idea wrt the cap – especially with Fayne on the roster already. SJS also traded him and DAL seems to be letting him go UFA in spite of being anything but deep on the blue line. There are some red flags. But again – he’s a decent player – but probably going to get crazy money and some team will suffer buyers regret.

99. Spydyr says:

If Fayne is higher than a 6-7 defenceman it will be another year outside the playoffs.

100. Spydyr says:

jonrmcleod:

When was the last time the Oilers developed a guy with Shaw’s moxy, heart and battle?

AsiaOil:
    Woodguy,

I rate him above Hamonic.

I don’t need my 1RD to be the PP guy, he needs to be a “helps push the river against the best” guy.

He’s played lots of 1st pairing minutes and done well.

I’m writing about him right now for my RH Dman series and I’m very surprised at what I’m finding.

Serious diamond in the rough stuff.

We also need to consider the fact that you don’t have to give up an asset to get him.

That’s pretty big.

I also am not sure if anyone better is available.

He ranked 6/32 out of the 1st-1.5 pairing Dmen in my big Dman post.

His time at 2nd pairing is helping zoom his numbers a bit, but I’m finding not much difference in QC from 1st pair to 2nd pair compared to 2nd pair to 3rd pair.

102. AsiaOil says:

Woodguy,

Will be interested to read your stuff…..

Edit…….and Demers gets 2 points tonight 🙂

103. unca miltie says:

Saw Ray Shero in the Minneapolis airport this evening. Suspect he is scouting Minnesota Dallas game. Did not talk to him. Darn.

104. Oilspill says:

I love the positivity of most thinking we even have a chance getting a great UFA. Now reality sets in. The only way we get one is to seriously overpay. WHY? Because this is Edmonton. Wives don’t want to come here, we have a losing tradition recently, we only have one great player, and we underavieve at best. They know we are soft overall. Well get the guy that few others want.

105. AsiaOil says:

Quote from a Dallas writer….

“A second blueliner with an expiring contract is Jason Demers. Since he arrived from San Jose, Demers has been a steady presence on the right side of the Stars’ defense. The main drawback in his game is that he is already paid in line with his on-ice performance. His play is steady and unremarkable, which makes the prospect of a raise and a multi-year commitment unappealing, especially considering the number of defense prospects in the Stars system.”

That’s my take as well – pretty much already paid in full already – and if Dallas cuts him loose then it’s a tell. Like him at his present salary – not so much at $5 million per.

106. Zack says:

I’m all for hitting up the UFA market and I hope that PC goes hard after David Backes and Troy Brouwer. If he squires one or both that would make other pieces easier to move.

Maroon—McDavid—Eberle
    Hall—Nuge—Draisaitl
    Pouliot—(Khaira)—Pakarinen
    Hendricks—Letestu—Kassian
    Klefbom—
    Sekera—Fayne
    Davidson—

If we acquired Backes, Brouwer in FA I would feel safe trading one of our centers and we could use the 2016 1st rounder as bait as well.

Oilers Trade:
    Nuge + 2016 1st (especially if it’s 1st overall) +Yakupov/D prospect (Nurse?)

With Montreal: Subban + McCarron
    Including Yak (considering the galchenyuk chemistry in junior this might look like a solid package) I wonder if this would be enough to pry away Subban + McCarron (6’5″ 230lb C with grit).

With Ottawa: Karlsson + Lazar
    I’m still not sure a package like that would bring in Karlsson, I’d do it and throw in another 1st rounder (2017) even considering our prospect system.

Oilers Trade: Eberle + Fayne + D Prospect and or Draft Pick(s)
    Islanders Trade: Hamonic

Then our depth chart may look something like this…

Maroon—McDavid—Eberle/(Brouwer)
    Hall—Backes—Draisaitl
    Pouliot—(McCarron/Lazar/Khaira)—Pakarinen
    Hendricks—Letestu—Kassian

Klefbom—Subban/Karlsson
    Sekera—Hamonic/Fayne
    Davidson—Demers

I keep beating this drum and I will until the summer is over or the pieces aren’t in play. Even if the Islanders deal isn’t done we still have solid depth even giving up the Nuge (as long as we require Backes). I’m hesitant to give up Nuge but if we get one of PK or Karlsson I’ll do it every day of the week.

If the islanders pull the trigger on an Eberle + Fayne deal that clears up cap room for us as wel as we get Hamonic on a solid contract. I’ll admit I’m not the biggest fan on Ebs but he would need a replacement ASAP and a guy like Brouwer or Lucic would be a fine replacement especially in the eyes of PC.