DANGER ZONE

Peter Chiarelli has been on the job for a year, and there have been a lot of roster changes. Aside from the draft, PC has been moving assets in and sending them out at an impressive pace. Sometimes it is difficult to keep track, so let’s review so we can remind ourselves of the carnage.

GONE BABY GONE

1. G Ben Scrivens (sent out and then dealt)
  2. G Tyler Bunz (RFA not renewed)
  3. G Frans Tuohimaa (RFA not renewed)
  4. D Nikita Nikitin (Contract expired)
  5. D Justin Schultz (Dealt at the deadline)
  6. D Martin Marincin (RFA dealt at the draft)
  7. D Keith Aulie (RFA did not renew)
  8. D Martin Gernat (Dealt at the deadline)
  9. C Boyd Gordon (Traded for Lauri Korpikoski last summer)
  10. C Travis Ewanyk (Traded for Eric Gryba at the draft)
  11. C Kellen Lain (RFA did not renew)
  12. L Matt Fraser (RFA did not renew)
  13. L Curtis Hamilton (RFA did not renew)
  14. R Teddy Purcell (Traded at the deadline)
  15. R Andrew Miller (RFA signed, then kind of loaned, I think he is gone)

In 12 months, Chiarelli offloaded a tidy 30 percent of the roster he inherited. If I had to choose three players he should have kept, I would use one selection on Martin Marincin and pass on the other two (although Teddy Purcell had value, it was right to deal a rental at the deadline).

THE SURVIVORS OF YEAR ONE

1. G Laurent Brossoit (Signed and part of the future, NHL or AHL)
  2. D Oscar Klefbom (If he is healthy, a big part of the solution. Big new contract)
  3. D Brandon Davidson (Outstanding year, plus a two-year value deal)
  4. D Mark Fayne (I think he could be gone this spring)
  5. D Darnell Nurse (Had an uneven season, but survived)
  6. D Andrew Ference (LTIR likely, he could be bought out if he agrees)
  7. D Brad Hunt (I think he may be gone this time)
  8. D Jordan Oesterle (Had a terrific year, a real uptick in performance)
  9. D Dillon Simpson (Continues his improvement year over year)
  10. D David Musil (Most reports have him as the best Bakersfield defender this year)
  11. D Joey Laleggia (Had no problem posting offense in the AHL, needs to progress)
  12. D Ben Betker (Big man had a good season in the ECHL)
  13. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (He did not have a good year, slight chance of trade)
  14. C Leon Draisaitl (A glorious season. Seriously)
  15. C Anton Lander (I don’t believe what I just saw)
  16. C Bogdan Yakimov (I thought he would get NHL time, he got KHL time)
  17. C Jujhar Khaira (Spiked this season, could have a real future)
  18. C Kyle Platzer (Showed well, but needs to progress again this coming season)
  19. L Taylor Hall (82 games played, sublime talent)
  20. L Benoit Pouliot (A rugged winger with skill, injuries a worry)
  21. L Matt Hendricks (Had another good year)
  22. L Luke Gazdic (Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll)
  23. L Ryan Hamilton (Suspect he will not return)
  24. L Mitch Moroz (Small progress)
  25. L Kale Kessy (Healthy this year, but less impressive)
  26. R Jordan Eberle (Injury hurt early, still managed 25 goals)
  27. R Nail Yakupov  (Someone should serve time over his handling)
  28. R Rob Klinkhammer (Lost his NHL job)
  29. R Iiro Pakarinen (Had a very good year after an injury start)
  30. R Tyler Pitlick (RFA, signed and then played well when healthy, no NHL time)
  31. R Greg Chase (ECHL most of the time, scored well—somewhat unique among prospects)

Edmonton kept 31 men from the list Chiarelli inherited, but there are a lot of players who are clearly outsiders based on usage. I will guess Mark Fayne, Andrew Ference, Brad Hunt, Luke Gazdic, Ryan Hamilton, Rob Klinkhammer, Kale Kessy and Tyler Pitlick are not on the roster by fall (Ference LTIR).

ADDED SINCE PC ARRIVAL

1. G Cam Talbot. No. 1 next season.
  2. G Nick Ellis: I believe he will see a lot of action in Bakersfield.
  3. G Eetu Laurikainen, AHL backup, he is signed for next year.
  4. D Andrej Sekera, top 4D, important part of the team.
  5. D Griffin Reinhart, may spend another year in the minors. Could be dealt.
  6. D Caleb Jones. The second player signed from the 2015 draft.
  7. C Connor McDavid, Giant.
  8. C Mark Letestu, checking NHL C.
  9. L Patrick Maroon, big winger has been exceptional since arrival.
  10. L Lauri Korpikoski, Oilers should try to offload him this summer.
  11. L Jere Sallinen, you can never have too many Finns.
  12. L Braden Christoffer, rugged winger, matriculating.
  13. R Zack Kassian, probably part of the future in a top 9F role.
  14. R Anton Slepyshev, talented winger should push for NHL time.

This doesn’t include the unsigned draft picks. Anyone from this list you believe to me a mistake? If I were given three picks, I would use all of them on Lauri Korpikoski. I am probably in the minority here, but I like the additions overall, and would list Talbot, Sekera, McDavid, Maroon and Kassian as good arrows. No extra credit for McDavid, but he is part of the new procurement.

WOULD YOU RATHER?

I will have Sunil Agnihotri from Copper & Blue plus The SuperFan on today, and plan on giving him a problem to solve. It goes like this: Would you rather see Alex Pietrangelo acquired in a major deal, with Mark Fayne occupying the second pairing (with, say, Brandon Davidson third pair)—or would you rather see two mid-level pickups like Jason Demers and Sami Vatanen?

ZIYAT PAIGIN

He went 45, 9-19-28 with 4 power-play goals and 88 SOG this year. He played 16 minutes a night, and the KHL site has his contract expiring April 30, 2017. Can Peter Chiarelli get him to North America this summer? If he does, the smart money would be on Paigin to at least begin the year in Bakersfield, possibly play the entire year there. His NHLE (using the Roatis) is 82gp, 13-28-41. If he delivered substantial offense in Bakersfield, it wouldn’t take him long to get here. I have him ranked as the No. 2 prospect heading into the draft, suspect PC has at least thought of getting him over here.

THE WAITING IS THE HARDEST PART

I would very much like the Oilers to make a trade tomorrow. If Anaheim wins (Stl-Chi is a G7), there will be a clear window between rounds and NHL teams can do business during that time. Of the teams eliminated, does Edmonton match up in terms of trade with any of them? Let’s have a look.

• Minnesota Wild: Jonas Brodin has been mentioned, but I don’t see a fit. Too many questions in regard to this player. I don’t believe the world is so totally black and white that we can say Brodin will never deliver on early promise, but there is no real reason for Edmonton to take a chance on him. Jared Spurgeon would be a fantastic target, doubt he is going anywhere.
  • Nashville Predators: Ryan Ellis would be a dynamite add, but why would they trade him? That question applies to damn near every perfect fit in the league. Once the Preds finally solved their center problem, all roads to Ellis were cut off in my opinion.
  • Philadelphia Flyers: Radko Gudas shows up in the best bloody places imaginable this past season. No chance the Flyers deal him—their defense is just beginning to recover—but I will list him just in case Ron Hextall tries to do something crazy this summer (Holmgren is still in the building).
  • St. Louis Blues: Alex Pietrangelo is signed through 2020 ($6.5 million cap hit) and the Oilers would no doubt be interested if he comes available. The Blues would/should have interest in many Edmonton forwards, with RNH being a top contender based on logic and reason. Maybe the Oilers can get Magnus Paajarvi while they are at it.

JT

Lots of love for John Tavares today and for good reason. That is where Taylor Hall should and will be in my opinion, someday soon. A winner. Absolute winner. Hall needs soon what Tavares has now: A supporting cast. They are both brilliant players, one is finally getting some recognition. The other waits, but it is on the way. Being the best player on a losing team is kind of a drag. Ask Rick Nash.

Before you say never, Alexander Radulov’s per 82gp boxcars are 25-30-55. I understand the idea there will be lots of competition, but does that competition include a chance to play with McDavid? Ultimate long shot, but this man is a tank with skill. Something to think about.

There is a fine line between late spikes representing real progress and small sample sizes derailing a draft. I once spent $34 in a $260 cap league on Tuffy Rhodes because he had a big opening day (we had the auction after one game had been played) but in fairness to me I was just trying to drive up the price. It is true, though. Scouts would probably be better served by ending their looks late in the regular season and disregarding playoffs, Memorial Cup, et cetera. The problem is that many of the Euro kids only get viewed at the tournaments. I believe that is why some teams have had an advantage over others these many years. If multiple viewings in league games is the industry standard for North American kids, why are tournaments good enough for the Euro teenagers? Silly, silly mistake.

wood west

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

I am on the round table with Dusty and Wil at 9 this morning, so tune in if you can. At 10, Lowdown hits the trail for lottery week with a terrific lineup, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Scott Burnside, ESPN. Brooklyn trumps Manhattan and a Game 7 for the ages tonight as Hawks v Blues.
  • Jeff Hauser, Radio Hauser. NFL draft looks crazy already.
  • Sunil Agnihotri, Copper & Blue and The SuperFan. We look at draft/trade options and Brandon Davidson.
  • Brock Otten, OHL Prospects. Drilling down on the best defensemen in this year’s draft.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter.

65 Responses to "DANGER ZONE"

1. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

LT,

I’m a bit of a fan of the Islanders, and I’m happy they won, but man oh man would I be pissed if I was a panthers fan this morning. I can live with a reduction of calls late in playoff games, but flat out tripping an attacking player in the ozone with an empty net is a call that needs to be made in my book.

This is the first I have read of Radulov outside of Colorado. I was under the impression he was locked into going there, if he came back to the NHL. Played for Roy in junior I believe. Crazy to me that a team that looks like they are giving up on Duchenne for being too much of a Diva are looking to Radulov to replace him. There’s a lot of crazy coming from that organization lately, I’d be looking real hard to make a deal with them this off season. Take whatever they are willing to sell off for value and go from there.

I read in your Oilers Nation post that your first job was in Wetaskiwin. When were you there? I was in Wetaskiwin between 85 and 90 (though I was 2 through 7, so it’s unlikely we ever hung out). My dad managed the local CIBC. It had gumball machine… good times.

2. who says:

Watched the Islander game last night. I’m not sure John Tavares has a better supporting cast than Taylor Hall right now. He does have Hamonic and Leddy on defense but the Islanders looked pretty thin after that. Boychuk did not impress me at all. I would say Edmonton has a deeper group of forwards. In my mind the Isles are either very well coached or the East is just that much weaker than the West, probably both, because their roster really doesn’t impress me much for a team going to the quarter finals.

3. OilSafety says:

As soon as I saw the posts title I began feeling an impulse to watch Top Gun.

I lean towards trying to aquire a Peitriangelo or Shattenkirk rather than two lesser d men. But that said one injury and we’re back to where we started.

Why can’t we trade for Shattenkirk and hominic
    And win the lottery
    And sign Stamkos

Maybe I’m too much of an optimist.

4. wheatnoil says:

Normally I’m in favour of two top 4 RHD over one top 2 RHD.

However, Pietrangelo’s contract is awfully nice (especially considering Demers and Vatanan both need new contracts and may $5M and $4.5M respectively). Pietrangelo’s not someone who I ever thought would come available, so I haven’t looked at him as closely as Demers and Vatanan, but the cap savings given the upgrade in quality may make it worth it.

Still have two lefties on the bottom pairing though and only one complete defenceman who’s right handed, but I think you’d have to strongly consider it.

If it means giving up Hall, though, then no dice!

5. wheatnoil says:

******SPAM ALERT******

For those interested, I correlated my zone exits / entries data with corsi for the games I’ve tracked.

As always, thanks LT for the space to share!

******END SPAM*****

6. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

I have nothing to add to this post hockey wise but I grew up in Wetaskiwin, entire immediate family still lives there and it’s kind of odd to see it mentioned anywhere other than in some sort of gang violence post so yay for a positive shoutout this time!

7. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!,

Awesome. I actually went back to Wetaskiwin for my first post-university job, lived there for a few years. Interesting town, I have a lot of good memories. That said you know when the 1 nightclub in town is simply referred to as “Stabs” or “StabTracks” that it’s going to be a bit rough.

8. who says:

wheatnoil:
    Normally I’m in favour of two top 4 RHD over one top 2 RHD.

If it means giving up Hall, though, then no dice!

Don’t think Pietrangelo will be available. I’m guessing Blues have already made their decision and will trade Shattenkirk or go all in for 1 more year and then let his contract expire. Right now Shattenkirk is the third best righty dman on the Blues and I would not be willing to pay much for 1 year of him

9. oilfan9911 says:

I doubt Ference gets bought out. I’d wager heavily that Chiarelli whispered in his ear and made a deal with him: Ference delays his surgery allowing the Oilers to take advantage of the LTIR cap space and agrees to waive his NMC in the event of an expansion draft, in exchange for getting the last year of his contract paid in full and perhaps a plum job with the team in a community relations role.

10. Acumen says:

If St Louis is sniffing around centers, we are a natural fit. The arrival of Parayko gives them some leeway in terms of right D, and their situation there is really similar to us. 3 outstanding players, one of which is on an entry level contract, and that is probably too much when there is noticeable roster imbalance elsewhere.

I think Shattenkirk is the one who makes sense to move along for all the obvious reasons, but doubt he does because, kinda like Eberle right now, his return would likely fall short of on the chance to add a substantial piece. Beyond that he is perfect in a secondary role for whoever remains of the two others (a Rafalski to a Lidstrom, a Boyle to a Blake, a Sydor to a Zubov, Ellis to a Weber, etc). I would move Eberle for him, but would stop short of moving Nuge when there are other small RH guys to target. We would do well to remember how hard elite Cs are to get when they’re gone.

Pietrangelo is an elite defensemen, but coming off a slightly down year with Parayko right there as a ready made replacement. I have always loved Pietrangelo, from day one. He’s like Scott Niedermayer with a bigger shot and couple extra inches. He plays a game that will keep him effective for a decade. Legitimate cornerstone defender. I would trade Nuge for him, and I would add minor pieces if necessary. I think this one makes the most sense value-wise and contract-wise, and I figure Hitchcock would LOVE a chance to work with Nuge.

Parayko is a knight in shining armor. I see a Pronger clone when I watch him play. Maybe it’s the Blues jersey, maybe it’s the shot, size, skating, awareness, passing, and defensive dominance. They have no need to move him unless the price is dear, and cant really add money in any trade. It would take Draisaitl, our situational equivalent at C, and I would do that trade, maybe asking for a minor piece like Sobotka back as well. Doubt Chiarelli would do that though. After the Seguin fiasco trading someone like Leon to a conference rival would take elephantitis balls.

I don’t see NSH moving any of their D for any reason. I really like their team, figure they’re a high quality forward away from destroying the conference next year. Unfortunate that they botched the Radulov situation so terribly last time around, he would be perfect for them now.

MIN getting bounced makes me smile, ditto Philly. I do feel as though the Panthers should have torched the Isles, but I can’t help but like a team with a history so close to ours. Hope they keep burning through Florida, because the next team will be a lot tougher.

I’ll keep holding out hope for a Faulk and Hamonic summer. Not sure if that breaks the rules of your question, but I would be ecstatic if we got Pietrangelo and kept Fayne. Piet would be our best D since FCP.

who,

Regardless of whether or not you saw Boychuck good, there isn’t much debate as to him being an Actual NHL Top 4 Dman.

Here’s every Dman that both Hall and Tavares played more than 200 minutes with this year:

Tavares
    Leddy – 492min
    Hamonic – 462min
    De Haan – 374min
    Boychuck – 364min
    HIckey – 251min

Hall
    Sekera – 461min
    Nurse – 371min
    Fayne – 331min
    Davidson – 241min
    Schultz – 240 min
    Gryba – 221 min

So if we are charitable and call Fayne and Actual Top 4 NHL Dman, then Hall was with an Actual Top NHL Dman for 792 aggregate minutes (often on the ice at the same time)

Tavares was on the ice with ATFND for 1692min and the 5th guy is a former top 5 pick who’s finally found his way in the NHL.

Btw, DeHaan is not “thin” behind Hamonic. There is a reasonable argument that De Haan is the better of the two. Its close.

12. Ducey says:

Maybe the Oilers can get Magnus Paajarvi while they are at it.

I don’t think STL would give him up. He has been outstanding in the playoffs against CHI.

Oh, right. We are not supposed to look at recent play. Well, then, I would think it would cost too much to get a former 1st round, swift skating, Swede, who put up 9 points in 48 games this year.

Though he would look good with his buddy, and Oilers’ fixture, Anton Lander.

If they could find a way to get MPS, Lander, Yak, Marincin and Fayne out on the ice together, wow, what a dominant unit 🙂

13. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Ducey,

The reverse could be true there too.

If they like MPS now, then maybe the ultra low cost Lander is a reasonable throw in piece on a deal with them. Obviously not a center piece but as a sweetener might be worth more the STL than to another team.

14. Ducey says:

oilfan9911:

It would not take too much convincing.

Chia: “Andrew, would you like 100% of your salary next year, or 2/3rds of it over the next two?”

15. JimmyV1965 says:

Funny thing. I went to a Canes fan site and asked their thoughts on trading RNH and our 4th or 5th pick overall for Faulk and it was resoundingly voted down. At minimum, they would want our 1st or 2nd pick overall and a minimum of RNH. One on the posters asked me if I would be interested in trading RNH for Hayden Fleury. Lol. These guys are obviously not the GM but it does illustrate the disconnect between our perceptions and their perceptions. Would love to get Faulk and Staal though. It would solve many many problems.

16. John Chambers says:

Let me ask – would you trade Vatanen and Demers at a combined salary of $10M for Pietrangelo at $6.5? The best player there is Pietrangelo and it’s not close.

From there a team like the Leafs might be willing to take intend remainder of Fayne’s contract and a 3rd for some roster player.

Would you trade Vantannen, Demers and a 3rd for Pietrangelo and $3.5M in cap space?

I believe the correct answer is yes.

17. blainer says:

I would jump at the chance of trading for Piet no matter the cost short of CMD. He is exactly what this team needs. Just don’t see them trading him. I can see them trading Shattenkirk. I do believe Chia has some good deal options on going.

I can see Reinhart thrown in a trade before Nurse as I really think they are higher on Nurse.

I was and still am not decided on the Reinhart trade yet but I did witness Reinhart get blown by many times this past year. IMO after watching him play this year his skating is defiantly an issue. He can probably get by in a bottom six role for a career but if he wants to be a top four even top two he has got to work his ass off at skating in the off season.

18. rickithebear says:

When discussing D man offence.
    I look at Primary assists:

Tavares faced mid 2nd comp (120-150)
    Leddy – 492min .40A!/60
    Hamonic – 462min .21 A1/60
    De Haan – 374min .29 A1/60
    Boychuck – 364min .30 A1/60
    HIckey – 251min .48 A1/60

Hall faced upper 1st comp (top 30)
    Sekera – 461min .18
    Nurse – 371min .10
    Fayne – 331min .06
    Davidson – 241min .08
    Schultz – 240 min .20
    Gryba – 221 min .15
    Oesterle .66
    Klefbom .49

Josi .67
    Oesterle .66
    Demers .55 .37 under Tmac
    Brodie .54
    Klingberg .53
    Keith .52
    Burns .51 the same under either coach.
    Klefbom .49
    lindholm .18
    Trouba .17
    Hjarlmasson .16
    Manson .16
    Brodin .15

19. rickithebear says:

Ducey: If they could find a way to get MPS, Lander, Yak, Marincin and Fayne out on the ice together, wow, what a dominant unit

Lander .11 EVG/60
    Yakupov .52 EVG/60
    MP .31 EVG/60
    totals .93 EVG/60

marincin and Fayne against 2nd comp are sub 8.00 HSCA D
    should yield 1.5 EVGA/60

Facing 3rd comp that awful forward line might break even with those normally strong HSCA D.

Of all the examples of Good D allowing Bad scoring to break even.

I could not have come up with much better!

Thanks buddy!
    Glad you were being Sarcastic and have grasped Good d allows bad O

20. blainer says:

JimmyV1965:
    Funny thing. I went to a Canes fan site and asked their thoughts on trading RNH and our 4th or 5th pick overall for Faulk and it was resoundingly voted down. At minimum, they would want our 1st or 2nd pick overall and a minimum ofRNH. One on the posters asked me if I would be interested in trading RNH for Hayden Fleury. Lol.These guys are obviously not the GM but it does illustrate the disconnect between our perceptions and their perceptions. Would love to get Faulk and Staal though. It would solve many many problems.

While your correct that these fans are not the GM’s it does show how fans value their players. Faulk is a top ten D in this league IMO. They rarely get traded especially when they are a RT shot.

A player of this calibre is going to take Nuge Nurse Yak and Pou and maybe a top pick in next years draft. I would make that trade for Piet as well but still don’t think it gets done.

You may have to take a contract back as well to make it work for both sides.

Getting two GM’s to agree on fair value for both teams is very difficult as these types of trades can often lead to job security or lack thereof.

21. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

JimmyV1965:

I wouldn’t take Fleury and a 2nd for Reinhart.

So there is a gap to be overcome on that one.

22. Pajamah says:

I guess the question in regards to Vatanen/Demers ~ value as compared to PIetrangelo, is;

Are the Islanders building the right way?

Would we as Oiler fans want their roster, and their cup chances?

I’d say McDavid is better than Tavares long term, and Hall is his equal. We’re already in a better position offensively.

Does Chiarelli pull a Snowjob and get 2 top 4 d-men this offseason, and the Oilers become a top 3 pacific team, or strong wildcard next season?

Season after that?

Or does Pietrangelo and another young top 6 guy who can grow into a top 4 role get the team even further up the standings?

Question mark?

23. fifthcartel says:

I’m hoping Colorado signs Radulov and that leads to Barrie getting moved.

24. who says:

Sekera – 461min
    Nurse – 371min
    Fayne – 331min
    Davidson – 241min
    Schultz – 240 min
    Gryba – 221 min

So if we are charitable and call Fayne and Actual Top 4 NHL Dman, thenHall was with an Actual TopNHL Dman for 792 aggregate minutes (often on the ice at the same time)

Btw, DeHaan is not “thin” behind Hamonic.There is a reasonable argument that De Haan is the better of the two.Its close.

I’m not saying that the Isles don’t have a better dcore than the Oilers. I’m saying the entire rosters are pretty even, in fact I don’t think I would trade them even up. Edmonton has a better group of forwards. And yes, the Isles have 4 top 4 dmen right now, but I don’t think they have a true stud dman either, and De Haan and Boychuk were not a good pairing last night.

25. Visually better says:

Multiple people in this thread has referred to Pietrangelo as an elite Dman (or something along those lines)

Genuinely curious what your criteria is when deciding this.

27. vinotintazo says:

Visually better: Can someone please tell explain to me in depth all facets of the Ference situation please in relation to future salary cap implications? What would putting him on LTIR do for our cap?

LTIR just means we have to have the room before season starts, but after that we can use his cap in the season if we need it (we do). We need it for bonuses for Drai, Nurse, McD etc.

He Won’t be bought out, because he will be injured.
    He Wont play… well because hes not good, and injured, just like last year.

28. gerberoo says:

If I’m the Oilers I’m trading out of #2 or #3 if they get that pick reason being this:

Aleksander Barkov – Draft Year – Liiga – 21G 27A 48P in 53 games .905 PPG
    Jesse Puljujarvi – Draft Year – Liiga – 13G 15A 28P in 50 games .560 PPG
    Patrik Laine – Draft Year – Liiga – 17G 16A 33P in 46 games .717 PPG

These kids are highly touted and if they had numbers similar to Barkov I would say jump all over it but they don’t. They did amazing at the World Juniors playing together but I would caution sample size on any tournament. Puljujarvi on his own at the under 18’s which should be easy competition for someone who just set an under 20 scoring record is at just over a PPG pace which is less than impressive with no fewer than 30! Kids on the same PPG pace in that tournament.
    I have serious reservations about the top of this draft. From all accounts the draft has good prospects deep but I’m not certain these two Finns are as elite as they are made out to be. I could be wrong but would rather see either #2 or #3 traded for defense or traded down for help and a lower pick.

29. Snowman says:

The Oilers are better off getting two Dman as opposed to one “elite” if that one Dman is of the Pietrangelo category. Hamonic-Demers is miles better than just Pietrangelo.

If you’re getting Karlsson from the Sens that’s a different story..

We need the depth. Need to add at least two more quality NHL D.

30. gerberoo says:

who,

That’s just garbage to use players on the rest of the Islanders roster that Tavares never plays with. The argument is based on players he did play with being better than those Hall played with this year.

Hall played with the D listed above most commonly and Leon Draisaitl and Teddy Purcell up front.
    Tavares played with the superior D listed above and Okposo and Nielsen. I’m going to say that Okposo and Nielsen combined are superior line mates this season to Draisaitl and Purcell combined so for the purpose of arguing the support of Hall vs Tavares I don’t think it’s even close.

31. blainer says:

Woodguy:

Genuinely curious what your criteria is when deciding this.

For me it’s visual and time on ice. Piet ice time is similar to Doughty and Keith. . a Little less but similar. Now is Piet better than those two . I don’t think so but he is very close IMO.

Add in the fact he was a top six D on our Olympic team and played very well.

I will say this though there are numbers out there that can make almost every elite D look both good and bad. That is one thing I have noticed when looking at Ricki’s numbers and G’s numbers as well as yours WG.

How about you what does it take for you to consider certain D Elite?

32. Caramel Batman says:

blainer: While I know and like that this is an advanced stat based blog I like many here am not one to spend the time investigating all the numbers in Detail.

For me it’s visual and time on ice. Piet ice timeis similar to Doughty and Keith. . a Little less but similar. Now is Piet better than those two . I don’t think so but he is very close IMO.

Add in the fact he was a top six D on our Olympic team and played very well.

I will say this though there are numbers out there that can make almost every elite Dlook both good and bad. That is one thing I have noticed when looking at Ricki’s numbers and G’s numbers as well as yours WG.

How about you what does it take for you to consider certain D Elite?

Let’s summarize. We can best evaluate hockey players based on:

1) eye
    2) what their coach thinks
    3) what hockey canada thinks

These are terrible criteria for an independent evaluation. The first is completely useless, while the second and third aren’t independent.

I’m not saying Pietreangelo isn’t elite, but you can’t know he is on this basis. Indeed, if you follow this criteria you are guaranteed to name some people elite who aren’t (Seabrook) while missing those that are elite, but don’t fit the criteria (Subban).

Now, to be fair, I’m not sure that the numbers are refined enough to separate the good from the very good, or the very good from the elite. But they are good enough to separate the good from the elite, and they are really good at identifying crushing mistakes (Jonas Brodin).

33. Revolved says:

I would definitely vote for two mid range RHD than one elite. More TOI, more depth, pushing our current options down and to their good side.

34. Ducey says:

rickithebear: Lander .11 EVG/60
    Yakupov .52 EVG/60
    MP .31 EVG/60
    totals .93 EVG/60

marincin and Fayne against 2nd comp are sub 8.00 HSCA D
    should yield 1.5 EVGA/60

Of all the examples of Good D allowing Bad scoring to break even.

I could not have come up with much better!

Thanks buddy!
    Glad you were being Sarcastic and have grasped Good d allows bad O

I am never quite sure what you are saying but I would suggest:

1) There is more to judging players than 1 stat. All of the stats you cite are dependent upon what the other 11 players on the ice are doing. You can’t judge a player combination like this by filling out a math formula.
    2) If Lander – MPS – Yak were up front, the HSCA of the D are likely to go up some. Neither of the D can rush the puck and none of those guys can score to save their careers, that’s an offensive black hole.
    3) For example, Yak wouldn’t have the needed “top 6” C to pump his tires. He wouldn’t be .52 EVG/60. Which proves point 1.

35. wheatnoil says:

Woodguy:

Genuinely curious what your criteria is when deciding this.

Elite might be strong, but playing top pairing against top pairing competition and holding his own (i.e. genuine top pairing defenceman) and having a track record for doing so.

I think, in reviewing what I wrote, you could make an argument that Demers is that person, though I’m unsure of his track record against top comp before this year.

36. stush18 says:

gerberoo:

Aleksander Barkov – Draft Year – Liiga – 21G 27A 48P in 53 games .905 PPG
    Jesse Puljujarvi – Draft Year – Liiga – 13G 15A 28P in 50 games .560 PPG
    Patrik Laine – Draft Year – Liiga – 17G 16A 33P in 46 games .717 PPG

To me I’m drafting only Mathews or laine. Otherwise I’m trading down, puljujarvi isn’t in my sights.

Interesting about the comparison between laine and barkov though. I would say the difference is laine is a pure goal scorer, whereas barkov prefers to dish. And everyone agrees we need a finisher beside mcdavid.

37. pocession charge says:

Ducey: I am never quite sure what you are saying but I would suggest:

1) There is more to judging players than 1 stat. All of the stats you cite are dependent upon what the other 11 players on the ice are doing.You can’t judge a player combination like this by filling out a math formula.
    2) If Lander – MPS – Yak were up front, the HSCA of the D are likely to go up some.Neither of the D can rush the puck and none of those guys can score to save their careers, that’s an offensive black hole.
    3) For example, Yak wouldn’t have the needed “top 6” C to pump his tires. He wouldn’t be .52 EVG/60.Which proves point 1.

In Ricki’s defence, there is no term in Bear-speak for context.

38. dustrock says:

Woodguy:

Genuinely curious what your criteria is when deciding this.

Pietrangelo is a tough one.

Went to Puckalytics to take a look at his WOWYs.

He and Bouwmeester, by far his most common D partner, are a pretty good pairing but it looks to me like Pietrangelo is carrying him to an extent – has over 60% GF and CF without Jay.

In the 90 minutes he played with Parayko, they had 88%!! GF and CF. Limited minutes I know but wow.

5v5 he’s at about 0.98 PPG I think.

Talking to “seen him good” Blues fans, I think his biggest contributions are in moving the puck or passing through the NZ, I’m not sure if there’s a place I can see that kind of info.

39. pocession charge says:

Caramel Batman: Let’s summarize.We can best evaluate hockey players based on:

1) eye
    2) what their coach thinks
    3) what hockey canada thinks

You forgot two big ones:

4) How they performed in junior (age of player is irrelevant)
    5) Steve Yzerman’s assessment

40. who says:

gerberoo:
    who,

gerberoo:
    who,

Sorry I upset you. My original comment was not meant to turn this into a Hall vs Tavares debate, which is how I think some of you are taking it. My point was that the Isles as a whole seem to be better than the sum of their parts. I would say the only elite player on their team is Tavares, which makes there success even more remarkable. Just don’t think he has quite as much support as Lowetide was saying he does.
    And yes it matters who is on the rest of your team. Thats like saying it doesn’t matter who hits behind you in the batting order. Pretty sure Tavares gets the tough match ups every night. If MacDavid is in the line up I’m not sure Hall does.

41. Oddspell says:

Brief interjection: I often hear from folks around here that EVP (or maybe it’s EVG) is the single best predictor of prospect dman success. If this is the case, has anyone brought up that Jake Bean leads all of the top CHL DMen in both of these regards?

I’ve always liked him, I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up top 10.

42. pocession charge says:

Am I the only one who thinks that David Staples has ‘right half-wall’ and ‘left half-wall’ backwards?

He wants McDavid and Hall to play left half-wall (ie the right side of the ice) and a right-handed shooter playing on the right half-wall (ie the left side of the ice).

Can someone else clarify this for me because in my opinion this seems incorrect.

43. Pajamah says:

Caramel Batman: Let’s summarize.We can best evaluate hockey players based on:

1) eye
    2) what their coach thinks
    3) what hockey canada thinks

These are terrible criteria for an independent evaluation.The first is completely useless, while thesecond and third aren’t independent.

Eye is not a useless measurement of a players ability. If statistics were the only way to judge players, scouts wouldn’t exist.

Now I wouldn’t doubt that those who can read context, and apply specific statistics to predictive models (credit to locals GMoney, WheatNOil and Woodguy) can do a very good job of determining a players value, people like them have yet to make scouts obsolete.

So to say judging a player by eye is completely useless, for some, maybe. For most people, doubtful, and for the employed few tasked with doing so, a completely ridiculous assertion. The eye test maintains value for those with an eye for the game.

44. wheatnoil says:

dustrock: Pietrangelo is a tough one.

Went to Puckalytics to take a look at his WOWYs.

In the 90 minutes he played with Parayko, they had 88%!! GF and CF.Limited minutes I know but wow.

5v5 he’s at about 0.98 PPG I think.

With Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk and Parayko, the Blues have such a strong right-side that it’s embarrassing! The disparity in quality between their right and left is probably the reason why they’re one of the few teams that have better corsi with the righty-righty pairs than their lefty-righty ones.

Man, that Parayko was a such a great find for them!

Truthfully, I don’t see much reason for them to trade any of their right-sided D. They’re a good team and shouldn’t panic, but may if they lose game 7.

I do wonder if the game has started to pass by Hitch a little (which may be silly to say given his success in the regular season). I question some of his decisions, like Tarasenko’s TOI for example. I wonder if the Blues would get more benefit from trying a new coach than by blowing up their roster “just because”.

That said… I hope they panic. The Oil could use any of their right-sided D!

45. Marc says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    Ca$h-McMoney!,

Do cars still cost less in Wetaskiwin?

46. kinger_OIL says:

– I know the obsession has been on getting 2 RHD, and the stats support the LD/RD structure

– Lets say though we can’t get 2 good RD: what about Demers and two years of Yandle?

– I just picked Yandle: but I’m thinking you get a guy who is stll revelant, pay him for 2 years: and the Nurse Griff Davidson etc get exposure to playing with another bona-fide D

– So fine you don’t have the RD/LD balance, but a top-4 with only Klef and two new guys + Seks

– I think this blog might be putting too much value on getting 2 RD, and possibly over-paying for such: start with 4 bona-fides.

47. dustrock says:

Leicester wins, Hotspurs tie.

Foxes now 7 points clear of Tottenham with 3 games to play.

Foxes just need to win one more.

48. LostBoy says:

I don’t have a clue what the situation has been this year, but Travis Yost raised red flags about Pietrangelo’s 2014-2015 season relative to other elite D in this article from last summer:

49. GCW_69 says:

“This was a product of overpayments to bottom-six talents — in no world should your fourth-line center (Gregory Campbell) count against your cap for $1.6 million, nor should you commit four years to over-30 guys with physically taxing roles like the Bruins did with Chris Kelly and Seidenberg — and the Bruins paid for it by putting an end to their Stanley Cup window with a thinned out, aging defense. ”

Let’s hope Chiarelli learned a few things, but the Letestu deal seems a lot like Campbell (overpaid) and Kelly (too much term for over 30 and physically demanding role).

50. GCW_69 says:

pocession charge:

Yep. Thought the exact same thing. Made what otherwise was a decent article very confusing.

51. AsiaOil says:

A team like STL has such an embarrassment of riches at RHD – but Shattenkirk is clearly the guy they deal and you do it this summer. They could honestly use a LHD so a deal with NYI for Hamonic doesn’t make much sense. But guess who has an excess of LHD? Yup….EDM. Now we don’t get Shats because he obviously wants to sign in the NE States (which lowers his trade value as much as Hamonic’s desire to be traded to W Canada) so we need a 3-away.

Shats to NYI
    Hamonic to EDM
    Nurse/Reinhart/Sekera/Klef/Davidson to STL.

Nurse alone probably makes the deal go through but I don’t want to deal Nurse as he’s almost 2 years younger than Parayko (did you hear about him 2 years ago?). Nurse will learn defense and he has some offensive potential – but he’s totally clueless after he crosses the offensive blue line right now and desperately needs a year in the AHL. I don’t want to deal him. Don’t want to trade Sekera or Klef either but you can make the case for Klef as he seems less than sturdy. So that leaves GR or Davidson who on their own is probably not enough – but maybe add Yak? Davidson and Yak to STL seems value to STL. Of course I hate to give up Davey but you’ve gotta give to get.

52. dustrock says:

GCW_69:

Funny was thinking people might start saying Lombardi has now signed some players on the Kings to too much money and they need defensive depth. They’re saying the same thing about Chicago too.

53. mustang says:

Woodguy:

Genuinely curious what your criteria is when deciding this.

This is a great question. I like dmen that have a complete game. Has excellent defensive awareness, can stop the cycle with the body and has a good stick, has great box protection with a mean streak is nice. Move the puck via the pass or skating it up ice.

Has a great shot, hard and accurate gets his shots through. Doesn’t have to be the most offensive dman in the league but must have excellent offensive awareness.

From years gone by I consider these guys elite
    Bobby Orr
    Larry Robinson
    Chris Pronger
    Nick Lidstrom
    Drew Doughty
    Eric Karlsson

These are the top 6 elite of the elite in my opinion

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I’m closest to WnO. Nice RelCor playing against the best and a track record of doing it with all partners and forwards.

Certainly we need to analyze their most common partner. Bouw is dragging down Pietrangelo for sure.

Basically they are Hall/Benn/Tavares, but on defence.

Also,

Who,

Wasn’t trying to start a Tavares/Hall fight.

Imo NYI’s bottom 6 and entire Dcorps are miles ahead of the Oilers and asked questions to try to boil it down to clear parameters.

55. kinger_OIL says:

AsiaOil,

“Davidson and Yak to STL seems value to STL”.

– No: you are getting 1 season of Shattenkirk. 1 year to UFA is not worth that much

– If Shattendirk doens’t get traded in off-season: he is worth only draft picks next trade-deadline.

– So there is a window with St-Louis this off-season. Cheer for CHI to beat them…

GCW_69:

That’s my biggest fear with Chia.

He seems sharp so hopefully he’s learned.

57. AsiaOil says:

No it’s a 3 way – Shats to NYI – Hamonic to EDM – Yak/Davey to STL

kinger_OIL:
    AsiaOil,

“Davidson and Yak to STL seems value to STL”.

– So there is a window with St-Louis this off-season.Cheer for CHI to beat them…

kinger_OIL:
    AsiaOil,

“Davidson and Yak to STL seems value to STL”.

If I were Armstrong and I was trading Shattenkirk I would:

1) Ask him where he wants to play
    2) Analyze those teams and determine who has what I want
    3) Talk to target GM
    4) Talk to Shattenkirk ‘s agent
    5) If GM and agent can agree on an extension trade Shattenkirk July 1st to target team for good return.

Shattenkirk signs with the team/location he wants and I maximize my return

Some call it a sign and trade but in the NHL when this type of trade happens they usually wait to sign with the new team.

59. kinger_OIL says:

mustang,

Mustang says:
    From years gone by I consider these guys elite
    Bobby Orr
    Larry Robinson
    Chris Pronger
    Nick Lidstrom
    Drew Doughty
    Eric Karlsson
    These are the top 6 elite of the elite in my opinion

– In my opinon you forgot in last 30 years: Bourque, Coffey, McInnis, Chelios, Stevens, Leetch, Murphy, Chara, Potvin, Borje, Blake, Fetisov, and a bunch more.

– Wait 5 years for Doughty and Karlsson as well: but they are awesome

60. kinger_OIL says:

AsiaOil,

“No it’s a 3 way – Shats to NYI – Hamonic to EDM – Yak/Davey to STL”

– OK: get it: I’m convinced Harmonic goes to the Peg for Trouba though: makes too much sense…

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    LT,

I’m a bit of a fan of the Islanders, and I’m happy they won, but man oh man would I be pissed if I was a panthers fan this morning.I can live with a reduction of calls late in playoff games, but flat out tripping an attacking player in the ozone with an empty net is a call that needs to be made in my book.

This is the first I have read of Radulov outside of Colorado.I was under the impression he was locked into going there, if he came back to the NHL.Played for Roy in junior I believe.Crazy to me that a team that looks like they are giving up on Duchenne for being too much of a Diva are looking to Radulov to replace him.There’s a lot of crazy coming from that organization lately, I’d be looking real hard to make a deal with them this off season.Take whatever they are willing to sell off for value and go from there.

I read in your Oilers Nation post that your first job was in Wetaskiwin.When were you there?I was in Wetaskiwin between 85 and 90 (though I was 2 through 7, so it’s unlikely we ever hung out).My dad managed the local CIBC.It had gumball machine… good times.

I was there in 1980 and 1981. Had an account at the CIBC, spent time at the Driard and of course the radio station was in the old post office building. Used to have six beer in the Driard and then head over to the other bar (Buffalo? I don’t remember) to act tough. Complete idiot.

62. AsiaOil says:

Don’t see why WPG does that though with Buff and Myers already on the right side – they need LHD not another righty like Hamonic. Just like STL – WPG has junk at LHD after Enstrom – so maybe the Oilers excess LHD can work in a 3 way.

kinger_OIL:
    AsiaOil,

“No it’s a 3 way – Shats to NYI – Hamonic to EDM – Yak/Davey to STL”

63. slopitch says:

TOI is a good metric in general. Kris Russell and Jultz stand out as exceptions though so it’s not enough. It needs to be paired with more numbers. The Google search algorithm has 85 factors (a couple years ago), I think WG is on the right track with his weighted metric approach.

As for 2 top 4 D vs one top 2 D plus assets, I pick the latter all day.

64. Ducey says:

GCW_69:

Not sure that Letestu is a concern. At $1.8 million he is a tweener between third and fourth line C, a good PK player and even plays some PP. He is good faceoff guy and plays tough minutes. He beat the great Yak in points (although in many more games).

If you put Kharia in that spot, for example, you likely get the growing pains of a young player (lousy on the PK and faceoffs) and likely save nothing because Kharia would get bonuses.

On Boston, if Gregory Campbell was making $400K less a season would this have changed anything for the Bruins? That’s a rhetorical question.

The reality is that it was the big fish that mattered. Seguin was the killer. Maybe he still has his head in a bottle if he stays in Boston. But maybe not.

Its funny that Oilers fans think nothing of trading Hall for the equivalent of a defenseman equivalent of Loui Eriksson for not even as good a reason – because they don’t like his body language.

65. hags9k says:

kinger_OIL,

Just a quick shout out for Neidermayer and Keith. But great lists guys.

Edit: and of course Stevey Staios.