NEVER GO UP AGAINST THE OILERS IN A LOTTERY

If you cast around the internet—Twitter, Toronto—the quiet desperation of being a giant underdog is coming into view. When you are the Edmonton Oilers, any daylight—a sliver of air—is enough to ensure a lottery victory. There is greatness, there is courage and then there is manifest destiny. Ladies and gentlemen, your Edmonton Oilers: justifed, and inevitable. Out of the way, fools.

Miles and miles and miles to go, no one should be going crazy yet. That said, he had a very nice regular season and is enjoying a strong WHL playoff run. I hope Ethan Bear gets a contract this spring. I ranked him No. 7 on the spring list, he will probably be top 10 even after the draft. Miles to go.

OILERS CURRENT ROSTER

oilers cap april 26

I included Nail Yakupov today, but one suspects he will not be back. I think there are four players listed who are likely to be gone this summer: Lauri Korpikoski, Anton Lander, Nail Yakupov, Mark Fayne. It is also likely Laurent Brossoit and Jordan Oesterle will start the season in Bakersfield.

The fixes as I see them: Jhonas Enroth, Jason Demers, Tyson Barrie, Thomas Vanek—will cost some of the establishment but not as much as many folks are thinking. Sure, Peter Chiarelli could blow this thing to smithereens (underused and effective word) but it is not necessary to do so at this time.

If this is signing poor Josh Winquist to ANOTHER AHL contract I will lose it. Might be Marco Roy, Josh Currie, Zach Boychuk. Maybe someone like Tyler Vesel or Aidan Muir. Anyway, it will be cool to have something to discuss. My preference? Tyson Baillie, Alex Forsberg, Luke Philp.

BRINGING THE CRAZY

We talked about it yesterday, the crazy trade ideas are going to be coming strong now—and from some legit outlets. I always like to go back to base on things, to ask some fairly basic questions.

• Does this sound too good to be true?
  • Is this as dumb as it sounds?
  • Does this person have a credible past in terms of rumor?
  • Is it possible—possible—there could be something in the air.

My answers in the McDonagh for Hall example are no, God yes, haven’t read the story but sounds like he was speculating, no. In the Subban case (Hall and Klefbom, I believe), my answers are no, no, maybe, and yes. This week will be especially bad (based on Monday and Tuesday), so hold on to your hat.

Yes! Woot! as the kids all say (I have no idea what the kids say). Fun, fun, fun till daddy takes the lottery away (fun fun fun till daddy takes the lottery away). McKenzie’s list is the Bible of rankings, to the point where (imo) all scouts should have to give written reason (on foolscap) why they have a player higher or lower than The McKenzie (flourish here). For fun, here is my Top 15:

1. C Auston Matthews, Zurich Lions (Swiss-A): Complete offensive player. I have heard scouts say he is equal in talent with Jack Eichel.
  2. W Patrik Laine, Tappara (Sm-Liiga): Power W, pushing for No. 1 spot and has reached it on at least one scouting list.
  3. R Jesse Puljujarvi, Karpat (Sm-Liiga): Played very well in U18s and displays a nice range of skills. Perhaps shy of the top two offensively, he is a fast man with size and skill.
  4. C Pierre-Luc Dubois, Cape Breton Screaming Eagles (QMJHL): Rugged, quality PF. If you asked me to identify a Peter Chiarelli player, this is him.
  5. L Matthew Tkachuk, London Knights (OHL): Big forward, playmaker. Seems to be fading as we get closer to draft day, the math adores him but the TOI is not available to us.
  6. LD Mikhail Sergachev, Windsor Spitfires (OHL): Mobile defender with offensive acumen. I think he is the top D in the draft, but it could be any of six men (all listed inside the top 15 on this list).
  7. LD Olli Juolevi, London Knights (OHL): Substantial offensive defenseman. I think Edmonton would value him highly, to the point where he might be No. 1 D on their list (I prefer Sergachev).
  8. C Clayton Keller, USNDTP (USHL): He could be a special player. The most impressive player (for me) at the U18s. Lordy.
  9. LD Jacob Chychrun, Sarnia Sting (OHL): Fantastic skater, complete defender. Seems to be slipping in the rankings, suspect it has to do with his being very good at everything and without having one overwhelming skill. Offensively, he is in this group and not better than this group, and that might cost him draft position (teams may feel he is being passed by others).
  10. RD Dante Fabbro, Penticton (BCJHL): Extremely effective with the puck on his stick, tremendous player against his own age group. Very impressive U18s.
  11. R Alex DeBrincat, Erie Otters (OHL): Small super sniper. He scored 51 goals two seasons in a row—before his draft day! Come on. That is impressive. And in the OHL? Outstanding.
  12. RD Charlie McAvoy, Boston University (NCAA). Complete D, rising up the list. These NCAA kids (the young ones) post numbers that look pedestrian (37gp, 3-22-25) but are actually fantastic (Noah Hanifin went 37gp, 5-18-23 and the two men are about the same age in terms of their draft year). I don’t think McAvoy has the range of Hanifin, but he is a bona fide RH puck mover.
  13. LD Jake Bean, Calgary Hitmen (WHL):Intelligent D, recently injured. I will be fascinated to see where he ranks this evening. Red Line has him top 10, others have him lower than my ranking. For me, there are two things: Red Line loves him, and he does seem to have a wide range of skills—including enough offense to compete with any defender at the top of this year’s list. I have him ranked as the No. 6 defender on my list—and he might be the first one off the board. It is a crazy year for defensemen who all look the same based on math.
  14. R Alexander Nylander, Mississauga (OHL): Brilliant scorer, fast hands, great skater. I have him much lower than McKenzie’s list will place him, and much lower than he will go. Why? I like the other prospects more, and the players above him have more dimension to their game—or have shown themselves to be superior scorers.
  15. L Tyson Jost, Penticton Vees (BCJHL). Outstanding at U18s is going to have him spiking on rankings across the board. There are three very good BCJHL kids this year, I have two of them in the top 15 overall. This young forward is outstanding.

moonstruck

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

It shall be a busy day, it shall start at 10 this morning. TSN1260. It shall be fluid, too, you never know which way the wind blows.

• Jonathan Willis, Cult of Hockey. The draft lottery, what to do with the pick, and worry at least a little about Leon and how the Oilers handle him.
  • Jeff Krushell, Krush Performance. Off-season training for hockey players (throw the damned ball around once in awhile!) and MLB starting to get interesting.
  • Scott Cullen, TSN. A Game 7 tonight and a series lid lifter too. Le hockey! Plus draft lottery and The McKenzie.

I have another guest or two lined up, they just don’t know it yet. 10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

96 Responses to "NEVER GO UP AGAINST THE OILERS IN A LOTTERY"

jonrmcleod:
    McKenzie’s list: http://www.tsn.ca/laine-closes-gap-on-matthews-atop-tsn-draft-rankings-1.478128

Well damn, I didn’t see it this morning. Thanks for posting this, Jon.

2. misfit says:

1. Never get involved in a land war in Asia
    2. Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line
    3. Never go up against the Oilers in a lottery

3. Rondo says:

No surprises with McKenzie’s list.

4. Aitch says:

Apropos given the title of the article, I ran the lottery simulator this morning – both versions – one time. The Oilers won both.

5. wheatnoil says:

Rondo:
    No surpriseswith McKenzie’s list.

6. wheatnoil says:

Also, Fabbro has a relatively late birthday (June)… same as Bear and Jones.

7. Rondo says:

1-3 Oilers keep pick.

4-5 Juolevi or Dubois

8. Melman says:

Fabbro & Jost in the top15!! The secret is out – LT is in fact the man in the corner whispering BCJHL to the Oilers brass all these years!, 🙂

9. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I literally just watched The Princess Bride with the kids on Sunday.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD LT!!!!

10. Aitch says:

Reading an article this morning on SN where they were interviewing Mike Liut about the draft. He kept referring to the Oilers taking a d-man. Even if they were drafting from the podium. Now, either Liut is high or the idea that the Oilers need help on the blueline has become so well known that people are expecting them to go bananas at the draft. Personally, the only way I see them taking a d-man is if they trade down. As many have said, it’s not like there’s a d-man in this current draft who’s going to step in next season and improve the D.

If they win 1st, I could see them trading down to 2 or 3 if they can get a blueliner back for stepping back. Otherwise, i suspect they keep the pick, should they win a podium spot. But if they end up in the 4 or 5 spot, I could certainly see them trading down a spot or two. The only way I see them taking Tkachuk or Dubois is if Chia already has some wingers-for-blue trades agreed upon.

11. dustrock says:

Part of the problem with Chychrun is that he was exceptional status guy, looked unbelievable as a rookie last year on Sarnia, and some people said it’s possible he might be the #1 or #2 pick.

He wasn’t as flashy this year, but Derian Hatcher was his coach and he was told to rein it in a bit. You can see what happens (U-18s vs. Sweden) when he unleashes his game.

The critics of Chychrun say he should be “dominating” his opposition, and they say he doesn’t have great hockey IQ. I love hockey IQ, it gets thrown around as much as “intangibles” and “leadership”.

He’s 6’2″, 215, plays 30 minutes per game for Sarnia in all situations including PK. He is your superbly conditioned, minute munching, all purpose D man who can run your PP.

I think Juolevi and Sergachev will be fine, but I don’t see the ceiling with them that Chychrun has, although I like Sergachev over Juolevi, 17 goals with that cannon of a shot.

12. speeds says:

wheatnoil: No Fabbro, which isn’t a HUGE surprise. Still interesting to note that one scout put him at #5 and the best D-man in the draft. If the Oilers draft lower than #2, there’s a strong argument to trade down IF you can get someone who can help now AND get a pick from #10 – 15 and pick up Fabbro or McAvoy (the two RHDs… though frankly any of those top 5 D seem almost interchangeable based on different scouts’ rankings).

I understand this in the abstract and think it’s a reasonable idea if you can get a great deal. My problem with this argument is that I’m not sure you get someone that can really help you enough now to make up for the downgrade in prospect, or the opportunity cost of trading down for a couple picks and using those picks to draft and re-stock and/or future trades of a pick for player.

13. dustrock says:

On the forwards, my questions:

– Puljujarvi came around lately, but had a streak where his 5v5 scoring wasn’t great at all. Is this a similar situation to RNH where his scoring was boosted by a lethal PP? He’s a great skater but I’m not sure he’s an elite skater and finisher. Not convinced he should be in the top 3 and I’m sure I’ll be crucified for this, but not sure I’d take him in the top 10.

– Tkachuk – how much of this is his teammates? There is no doubt he is talented, but how will his game translate? He’s also December 97 birthday. Pass.

– Dubois – nothing bad to say about him except he plays in the Q lol.

– Keller – if he wasn’t playing on the USNTDP would he be a top 4-5 pick? His stats were similar to Eichel’s and I think he broke the US record for points in the U-18. Also July 98 birthday. Young.

– Nylander – is he as dynamic as his brother? Another guy I’m comfortable taking around 10.

– Logan Brown – he is 6’6″ (!!!) and can score. Can he skate well enough for the NHL.

– McLeod – has a wide range of skills but 61 points in 57 games isn’t lighting the world on fire.

14. Rondo says:

dustrock,

Chychrun has 3 goals in 62 games even strength this year. With his skating and size you expect much more for a top 5 pick.

15. misfit says:

Laine may be closing the gap a bit, but even if most have the two neck and neck or even Laine slightly ahead, C vs W should make Matthews 1OV regardless of who’s making the pick.

16. dustrock says:

Oh, I agree, particularly in this draft. I’m not convinced there’s a home run pick after Matthews and Laine who are both obvious quality, unless someone like Fabbro or McAvoy becomes the next Niedermayer.

If you look at Blue Bullet’s latest article, there’s usually a huge drop after the top 3 picks in the draft and from #4 onwards. Basically if you don’t pick top 3, try to get multiple picks later in the first. And don’t overvalue 2nd round picks.

Remember:

•Between 5th and 7th overall, forwards remain a good bet to be regulars in the NHL, with only one forward failing to reach 100 NHL games played (Filatov). However, there is a significant drop-off in the likelihood of these forwards averaging over 0.50 PPG in their career. The career average PPG of the 14 forwards to do so is 0.64. The career average PPG of the 13 forwards who did not reach the 0.50 PPG threshold is 0.33.[b] A team is just as likely to select a role player, between 5th and 7th, as they are a top six forward.[/b]

•There is little separation between a forward selected 8th to 15th overall and one that is selected 16th to 33rd. With only a 10-15% decrease in the likelihood of reaching both the games played and PPG targets, teams drafting 8th overall and later could benefit by moving down in the first round of the draft while acquiring additional draft picks.

•After the early part of the second round, the bottom falls out on the quality of forwards available. A selection in the 34-72 range is half as likely to reach 100 NHL games played than one selected in the 16-33 range. They are also 1/3 as likely to have a career average PPG above 0.50. In addition, the average games played and average PPG of the selections in the 34-72 range is half that of those forwards selected in the 16-33 range. Therefore, do not overvalue a second round selection, as it is worth half that of a mid to late first round selection.

17. dustrock says:

Rondo:
    dustrock,

Chychrun has 3 goals in 62 games even strengththis year. With his skating and size you expect much more for a top 5 pick.

What did Juolevi and Sergachev have at evens this year?

18. John Chambers says:

speeds,

Seems like Edm could trade down as part of a package deal. For example, Edm could deal RNH, Reinhart, and their higher pick (#4, say) to Carolina for Justin Faulk, Victor Rask, and Carolina’s pick at #12.

19. sumaclab says:

My dream scenario. We wn the lottery. Toronto drops to 4th. Toronto blows thier brains . They trade ther 4th pck and Mitch MARNER PLUS A second rnd pick for Our first, Mark Fayne and Laurie Korpokoski..
    We pick Mathew Tkachuck wth number 4.

We trade Klefbom for Hamonic and trade our 2rd pick and 2017 3rd to Anaheim for Cam Fowler.
    We trade Musil and a pck to Chicago for Shaw.
    We trade Yakupov to Montreal for a pick.

20. Younger Oil says:

For me, you take the pick if you are in the top 3, and if they’re 4 or 5 I’d trade down to 12-15 or so to target a RHD in McAvoy or Fabbro.

I also wouldn’t be opposed to trading the 4th or 5th pick as part of a package for an established defender, or trading down 4 to 15 to get a prospect, then making another Reinhart-esque deal with the 15th pick, except one that actually addresses a need in the organization.

Not sure on the historical precedent, what have teams given up in the past to move from the middle of the 1st round to the top 5?

21. dustrock says:

Rondo:
    dustrock,

Doughty had 4 EV goals in 58 games in his draft year.

Bogosian had 5 EV goals in 60. Hard to find data on some of these guys.

Anyway, it is possible Sergachev is a better offensive defenceman than Chychrun.

But if you’re looking for your 28 minutes per night d-man, your Victor Hedman, I think Chychrun is your best bet. I could easily be wrong.

22. vinotintazo says:

dustrock: Doughty had 4 EV goals in 58 games in his draft year.

Bogosian had 5 EV goals in 60. Hard to find data on some of these guys.

23. wheatnoil says:

speeds: I understand this in the abstract and think it’s a reasonable idea if you can get a great deal.My problem with this argument is that I’m not sure you get someone that can really help you enough now to make up for the downgrade in prospect, or the opportunity cost of trading down for a couple picks and using those picks to draft and re-stock and/or future trades of a pick for player.

Yeah, this is a good point. The idea is great in theory but in practice, it’s quite reliant on having at least one GM being quite sold on Puljujarvi or Tkachuk or even Chychrun and is willing to trade up to get ‘their guy’.

It happens, but it’s rare and dependent on a number of things falling just right, particularly taking advantage of the GM that is over-valuing a particular pick and undervaluing a member of their own roster.

24. Younger Oil says:

John Chambers:
    speeds,

That seems super appealing to me, that would be an incredible trade. I think the Oilers might need to throw something else in there though, like a second round pick, or take pick #23 or #43 from Carolina instead of #12.

That’s a trade that would change the face of the organization for sure.

25. Doug McLachlan says:

dustrock,

If goalies are voodoo then how do you describe 18 year old defensemen?

Win the lottery and then the question of who we pick at D becomes moot.

26. wheatnoil says:

vinotintazo: this all day, also we need to pick one of the RHD Dmen, we’re thin there, hope one of them make it to the 2nd round 33 OVA.

I’m definitely pro drafting RHD, but it’s worth noting that Bear went in the 4th round and the early arrows on him are positive.

I think we get into trouble saying, “we’re thin at this position so draft there.” I think the better route might be, “the gap between Sergachev / Juolevi / Chychrun and Fabbro / McAvoy is small and our scouts are split on who is the better prospect. We’ll give extra weighting to the RHD in this situation because statistically they hold more value going forward.”

That said, if the scouts and the numbers clearly favour (for example) Segachev… I think you pick him, regardless of handedness.

(Just wanted to clarify my opinion, not intending to pick on your viewpoint.)

27. dustrock says:

Doug McLachlan:
    dustrock,

If goalies are voodoo then how do you describe 18 year old defensemen?

Win the lottery and then the question of who we pick at D becomes moot.

ha ha yes. Clearly Matthews and Laine are the top prospects, no one else is even close.

Doug – the problem is that teams develop these star defencemen and hold the hell on to them, or sell them dearly (very, very dearly, as we’ll see in 2 months).

How do you get a Hedman if you don’t draft him?

Other than the top 2 picks, we should not be planning on our draft pick to help us this season. We’ve been doing that for years.

28. denbanc1 says:

Speaking of Left Shooting Defensemen, Gordie Howe practised and shot both left and right later in his career. Probably because he got tired of practicing everything else., but why not? Oiler defensemen have long summers to try different things. Does anyone make sticks without curves anymore?

29. Rondo says:

‘Chychrun was the only defenceman to be ranked in anyone’s top four prospects. One scout had him at No. 4 overall. But only four of the 10 scouts surveyed had him in their Top 10; six had him ranked 11th or lower. Worth noting, though, is that of the four scouts who ranked Chychrun in the Top 10, all four viewed him as the best defenceman in the draft.

In contrast, Juolevi’s highest rank was No. 5 overall, but nine of 10 scouts had him in their top 10. Two scouts had him ranked as the top D-man in the draft.

Sergachev’s highest rank was No. 6; seven of 10 scouts had him in their Top 10 but only two ranked him as the top defenceman in the draft.
    Bean got two votes in the top 10 and McAvoy only one; Bean was viewed as the top defenceman in the draft by one scout.

Penticton Vees’ defenceman Dante Fabbro, who played for Canada at the World U-18 Championship in Grand Forks, didn’t quite make the cut for TSN’s Top 15, but he did get one vote in the Top 10 (No. 5) and was deemed the top defenceman by that one scout. It’s another good example of the divergence of opinion on this year’s blueline prospect pool.”

30. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

The only scout that matters is Craig Button.

By that I mean matters for my personal amusement.

Always looking forward to see which off the board player he ranks way above anyone else. Makes for good TV.

31. fuzzy muppet says:

IMO if they don’t pick first or second, I would trade out for immediate help or down to acquire more picks.

32. prairieschooner says:

Any pick involving young defence men should involve a deal that brings Charlie Huddy back to the club
    LT how about a post on the biggest mistakes made by the Oilers I thought maybe a top 10 but that might be too hard to whittle down so maybe top 20?

33. dustrock says:

prairieschooner:

Oh man TOP TEN OILERS MISTAKES would be amazing.

34. slopitch says:

When you guys say move Yakapov for a Montreal pick, are you referring to their 2016 1st? Surely we could do better then a 2nd…

35. Mustard Tiger says:

I posted this late last night

Oilers draft position odds:
    1: 13.5%
    2: 13.1%
    3: 12.5%
    4: 35.2%
    5: 25.8%

36. Snowman says:

Played the lotto sim at Tankathon….

Oilers win.

I knew it.

37. wheatnoil says:

Mustard Tiger:
    I posted this late last night

Oilers draft position odds:
    1: 13.5%
    2: 13.1%
    3: 12.5%
    4: 35.2%
    5: 25.8%

The odds past #1 change based on who gets #1, right? Like if Toronto wins #1 vs Carolina, that would redistribute the odds for #2 & #3 differently.

38. Ducey says:

Say what? Thomas Vanek?? Are you trolling us LT?:)

No Fing way.

1) The Oilers were lucky not to get him the first time (the offer sheet)
    2) He gets paid $6.5 Million next year and then is UFA
    3) He is way overpaid for the 41 pts he put up this year. 14 of those were on the PP
    4)He is 8th in CF% among Minny forwards with a 45.4% (Yecch)
    5) He is not a C anymore (only took 38 draws)
    6) He has a NMC
    7) He apparently has/ had a gambling problem http://deadspin.com/thomas-vanek-paid-off-230-000-gambling-debt-with-islan-1653387189
    8) He is not a heavy player: (22 PIMs), just 18!! hits in 74 games (20th on the team)
    9) He averaged only 15 min/ per game (11th on the Wild)
    10) He shoots right but plays LW (doesn’t fix the leftorium)

11) Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

39. speeds says:

wheatnoil: The odds past #1 change based on who gets #1, right? Like if Toronto wins#1 vs Carolina, that would redistribute the odds for #2 & #3 differently.

40. Cahoon says:

I definitely like they idea of drafting more RHD. I love that we got Bear, and I am hoping that Fabbro slips to 32 and we get him. That would be awesome.

41. VanIsleOil says:

Snowman:
    Played the lotto sim at Tankathon….

Oilers win.

I knew it.

I just did the simulator as well. The Oilers got 1st. I didn’t do any more simulations…. We shall see…

42. rickithebear says:

When you take away the disgustingly unattainable PP production for most D prospects.
    and
    Just look at Even production.

Desjardins age NHLE curves suggest these even numbers for each D in 82 NHl Gm @ 21 or 22
    McAvoy 6’1′ 211lb
    7 EVG 30 EVA 37 EVP

Fabbro 6’1′ 190lb
    6 EVG 25 EVA 31 EVP

Sergachev 6’3″ 206lb
    9 EVg 19 EVA 26 EVP

Bean 6’1″ 170lb
    10 EVG 15 EVA 25 EVP

Chychyrn 6’2″ 214lb
    3 EVG 15 EVA 18 EVP

Joulevi 6’2″ 180lb
    5 EVG 12 EVA 17 EVP

43. kinger_OIL says:

– Great post LT! I suppose your selective amnesia can be forgiven, but the season only ended.

– When Taylor Hall says “we weren’t good enough”, its a tell

– Write this down: “there is no way that all three of the Steve Austins are back next year: none.”

– Even just from a new management perspective: out with the old in with the new

– Blame it on balance, lack of quality D, but I will eat my hat if I’m wrong on this: might not get blown up to smithereens (agree great word!), but she’ll blow up pretty good, with a big trade:

– I don’t think Chia is going to small ball this. Remember how bad we were this year?

Out:
    Ebs
    Yak
    Pou
    Korp
    A D that you won’t be happy when they are going

44. Snowman says:

kinger_OIL,

I agree with you. I don’t think this is a summer that people will go back and look at and think Chia didn’t do enough.

Different team in the fall is a virtual certainty. Hopefully different means better (hard to be worse though right?).

The “Steve Austins” live in interesting times. I actually agree with your list almost to the letter. Wouldn’t be shocked to see Pou stay though.. I think the only real options for D that are leaving are Fayne and Reinhart. I would have the socks blown off my feet if Nurse moves. No way Klefbom goes and I can’t see Sekera moving either. Don’t think you get enough value in trade from Davidson relative to his value on the ice. So that leaves Reinhart and Fayne or maybe both going out the door.

45. JustWatt says:

In the last two days I have seen and heard so many Oilers’ fans say that they ran the simulator once, Oilers won, they stopped and now must assume that they will in fact win (starting with LT on his show) that I was beginning to get upset about all of the bad karma that must be piling up against Edmonton to win it.

And then just before I posted this I decided to go run one simulation of my own just so I could say that they didn’t win for me and that this is all going to blow up in our faces.

I ran the sim.

They won.

And now I can’t decide if the universe is just out to play a huge prank on Oilers fans before the draft by getting all of our hopes up before they pick 5th or if it’s giving us all a huge *nudge nudge, wink, wink* before Edmonton wins again.

Completely flummoxed.

46. Caramel Batman says:

Vanek would go over great with the Edmonton media. The entertainment value would be high.

Age matters a lot in the draft. Mathews was weeks away from being drafted last year. That said, he probably goes #3 if he was available so I don’t think you can go wrong there.

The other 97 birth year in the top 15 is Tkachuk. He’s the guy to be wary of.

47. Mustard Tiger says:

speeds: AFAIK that is true, I think those odds are calculated by running a simulation a bunch of times, if so it’s smoothing things out to account for all scenarios for the first 3 picks.

Yeah, it’s something like that. Here’s where I found it, about halfway down the page. Helpful article.

48. kinger_OIL says:

– Here’s a simple way of looking at it: How many of Iro, Letetsu, Anton, Hendricks, Korps and Kassian are on a playoff team? I’d say 2. They all clear waivers I bet, except Hendy

– Ebs and Pou are easy to stiffle, and are soft, they don’t go “beast-mode” like Hall. Yak is inefectively deployed. You’d like to mix up the skill set in those 4 wingers for sure.

– On C Conner is 19, and Drai is 20. Conner great, but Drai he’s most effective on a line with Hall (as is everyone!). RNH didn’t step up this year, that’s a problem big time.

– Every year one of the Steve Austins missses big chunks of games, or they are givien the benefit of the doubt “becasue they must be playing through something”

– On D: A playoff team would have how many of Osterle, Nurse, Fayne Davidson, Gryba?

– I’m on the glass half-empty side untill Chia brings me a shiny other glass half full to look at.

– So to summarize: I don’t think that Chia says: “I’m good with my Wingers, I believe RNH will bounce back and we are good with those 3 as C’s, and our D just needs tweaking”

49. stevezie says:

Vanek is an interesting and sensible call. I think people are underestimating the sales to be had because of the stagnant cap.

There’s no Pronged available, but these were the circumstances that saw him move for a ten and two prospects.

I think by the fall we’ll be glad Chia saved Nikita’s cap space.

Rondo:
    dustrock,

Dean Smith kept Michael Jordan to under 20 points a game in college. So opposing coaches didn’t have to worry about keeping Jordan to under 20 points a game.

51. CrazyCoach says:

dustrock: – Jost – spectacular U-18s, otherwise he plays in the BCHL. Hard to rate him over an entire year. Penticton is also miles better than any other BCHL team.

52. Stelio Kontos says:

The whole draft lottery is stupid as it is now, but why in gods name is the biggest gap in odds between 1 and 2 when you are trying to discourage tanking? This needs to be the year that the lotto makes the nhl look bush league so they can reactionarily change the rules to something approaching logic.

Edmonton
    Ottawa
    Jersey

Also I hope you guys are using the .html one, it is way cooler. http://nhllotterysimulator.com/lottery.html

Finally why is the second round starting when the ducks are still playing? And why are there so few games over the next few days. Schedule maker needs to be fired yesterday.

Thinking of going to the ducks game tonight (I’m in Cali right now). Looks like you can pick up re-sale for $50.

53. Rondo says:

godot10,

Chychrun

Four of the 10 scouts surveyed had him in their Top 10; six had him ranked 11th or lower.

Hard to take a guy like this in the top 5.

54. Bruce McCurdy says:

denbanc1:
    Speaking of Left Shooting Defensemen, Gordie Howe practised and shot both left and right later in his career.Probably because he got tired of practicing everything else., but why not?Oiler defensemen have long summers to try different things.Does anyone make sticks without curves anymore?

Gordie remains the only player I’ve ever seen who shot one way (right) and carried his stick the other way when at rest between whistles. Never saw Gordie actually Shoot left in a game situation, but there are tales of his doing so in practice & such. He was pretty close to being truly ambidextrous. Could use both elbows equally, let’s put it that way. 🙂

One player who DID score shooting the “wrong” way was Yvan Cournoyer, who I saw tap in at least two goals from close range after quickly reversing hands on his stick.

The modern ambidextrous man is Nashville’s Paul Gaustad, who takes faceoffs both ways and excels on both sides. Interesting post here including an angle on the challenges facing d-zone faceoff specialists in general and him in particular with the 2015-16 wrinkle about d-zone guy has to put his stick down first.

By far the most famous ambidextrous NHLer, however, was Bill Durnan of the 1940s era Habs. He was a goalie who needed special gloves crafted that could both hold a stick and catch a puck. When a rush came in from an angle he would put his stick on the short side post and keep his free hand available for the far side. I saw his gloves at the HHoF exhibit that came to Edmonton for the Heritage Classic, they were unique to say the least. Durnan had a Ken Dryden-esque career in Montreal, short (7 seasons) but sweet (6 Vezina Trophy wins).

Rondo:
    godot10,

Chychrun

Hard to take a guy like this in the top 5.

The Oilers, I predict, will do one of two things 1) trade their 1st round pick 2) draft Laine.

I wasn’t suggesting drafting Chychrun, just criticizing the argument that his coach’s usage of the player shouldn’t be held against the player. Michael Jordan ended up being drafted 3rd, because Dean Smith kept the pulling on the reins for the entirety of his college career. He constrained Jordan to within the Tar Heels’ (Smith’s) highly structured game.

The highly ranked defensemen only really come into the Oilers range if the trade of the first pick is a trade down.

56. Rondo says:

godot10,

Agree

57. Moose says:

Great call on “smithereens,” LT.

58. Bruce McCurdy says:

Caramel Batman:
    Vanek would go over great with the Edmonton media.The entertainment value would be high.

Vanek-Spector would make Boyle-Brooksie look like a preliminary bout.

59. JimmyV1965 says:

John Chambers:
    speeds,

Absolutely love this deal. Faulk still has upside at 24. Imagine how many points he gets with some real forwards. Don’t think the Canes would trade Rask though. If that’s the case I would do the deal and insert Staal. Canes would unload an ugly contract but would still need to get to the cap floor so we could flip them fayne and Korpi. The Staal contract is ugly but it’s not a problem for three more years and in the meantime he mentors Drei as a two-way centre.

60. JimmyV1965 says:

slopitch:

IMO the deal for Yak is for Nichushkin. Just makes a lot of sense. Both teams and both players are unhappy.

61. monsterbater says:

This year’s draft reminds me a lot of the 2008 draft with respect to D men in that there are a lot that rank in the 5-15 range. That was quite the D draft in the first round, several top 2’s, couple top 4’s, a couple 6’s and 7’s and a couple 6’s and 7’s on a beer league team. Guess which of those categories the one Oilers player was in 😉

2. Doughty
    3. Bogosian
    4. Pietrangelo
    5. Schenn, L
    12. Myers
    13. Teubert
    15. Karlsson!!!
    17. Gardiner
    19. Sbisa
    20. Del Zotto
    23. Cuma (Woof)
    27. Carlson, J

62. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

JimmyV1965,

Yak for Strome also makes sense. Maybe as part of a multiplayer Hamonic deal.

63. JimmyV1965 says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    JimmyV1965,

Yak for Strome also makes sense. Maybe as part of a multiplayer Hamonic deal.

Fo

That makes sense for sure.

kinger_OIL,

– Great post LT!

This never fails to make me smile because I think I remember the thread where it came from.

65. fifthcartel says:

Bakersfield Condors ‏@Condors 1m1 minute ago
    The Condors have signed captain Ryan Hamilton to a two-year #AHL contract. #Condorstown

I don’t like this.

66. dustrock says:

fifthcartel:
    Bakersfield Condors ‏@Condors1m1 minute ago

I don’t like this.

ha hah ah ahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa welp

67. dustrock says:

Stelio Kontos:

Edmonton
    Ottawa
    Jersey

Holy you’re right about the .html version, way cooler, tried it once, the Oilers won. Tried the other one and it was Winnipeg-Arizona-Edmonton

68. wheatnoil says:

fifthcartel:
    Bakersfield Condors ‏@Condors1m1 minute ago

I don’t like this.

I’m not an enormous fan of the direction but it’s worth keeping in mind that there’s a difference between having a couple vets around to show the younger guys the ropes and having multiple vets taking up valuable playing time.

That is to say, I think it’s fair to hold judgement until we see if they also sign Matt Ford and others.

69. Ducey says:

fifthcartel:
    Bakersfield Condors ‏@Condors1m1 minute ago

I don’t like this.

If its an AHL deal (it sounds like it) then he is off the 50 man list. That’s good

Every team has a few of these guys. The issue is how many, and how much time they play.

Hopefully they don’t sign Hunt to an NHL contract (or at all).

70. Pajamah says:

CrazyCoach: Even better than the Chilliwack Chiefs and Westside Warriors who just battled it out for the Fred Page Cup?

I’m not dustrock, but yes, better than both Chilliwack and West Kelowna.

Replay a series with either team, and Penticton wins it 90 times out of 100.

Sometimes, the best team doesn’t win.

Edit: Or 9 times out of 10. Had written 99 originally, deleted and changed. Simplify man!!!!!

71. Professor Q says:

Bruce McCurdy: Gordie remains the only player I’ve ever seen who shot one way (right) and carried his stick the other way when at rest between whistles. Never saw Gordie actually Shoot left in a game situation, but there are tales of his doing so in practice & such. He was pretty close to being truly ambidextrous. Could use both elbows equally, let’s put it that way.

I think there was a Russian or something who scored with both his on and off hand in the same game?

Ambidexterity is likely more encouraged in Europe and Asia?

I used to try to practice with both hands and feet to try it, myself. Maybe when I get back into it I’ll pick that up again.

72. rickithebear says:

When discussing D for trade:

I like to look at Veteran D HSCA history.
    You can trend there decline.
    A fall off the Face D.

look at Seabrook:
    7-8 to 9-10
    1st comp 9.75 HSCA D

10-11 to 11-12
    1st comp 10.62 HSCA D
    Chicago drops him to 2nd comp

12-13 to 13-14
    2nd comp 9.82 HSCA D
    you see a bounce back to cup quality D.

14-15 to 15-16
    2nd comp 12.19 HSCA D fell off face of earth.

Please quit the Seabrook Trade ideas.
    I am running out of gum to get the throw up taste out of my mouth!

73. AsiaOil says:

dustrock,

Dust I just don’t see a dynamic player with Chychrun. He was a man/boy last year compared to his peers – but they all caught up – and several have more a more complete offensive game. Chychrun will be fine but he’s Bogosian and not Hedman/OEL/Ekblad.

I’m with LT. Sergachev has the complete package but he’s Russian and there is perceived risk. If we can trade down from 1 (Matthews) or 3 (Pullijarvi) to 7 or 8 and a decent RHD and pick Sergachev – that is a perfect draft IMHO. If we are #2 and Laine is there – well – that would make me think about keeping the pick. There are some really interesting options available if we pick #1 and Winnipeg is say 6-7. Trouba/Myers might be in play for Matthews – plus we probably get to send some cap crap like Fayne along to balance out the salaries.

#1 Matthews plus Fayne for Myers and #7 (Sergachev) is pretty much perfect.

74. Pajamah says:

AsiaOil:
    dustrock,

#1 Matthews plus Fayne for Myers and #7 (Sergachev) is pretty much perfect.

Not enough return IMO.

I wouldn’t trade Matthews if it was Myers and any D prospect being the return.

Kid is supposed to be up there with Eichel, who is easily the best prospect in the last 10 years not named Panarin (or McDavid, whatever)

Matthews straight up for a top 10 d-man or bust

Its a crazy suggestion, and a completely original thought here, but what about Matthews for OEL?

75. AsiaOil says:

Pajamah,

Matthews Yak and Reinhart for OEL and their #7 pick………..or ARZ can get stuffed.

But I won’t be disappointed if we pick 5th or whatever – grateful to the gords for last summer.

76. Rondo says:

AsiaOil,

What happened to Sergachev in under 18’s? I know Russia was young but they played some weak teams? Maybe there is an excuse I don’t know.

77. speeds says:

AsiaOil:
    dustrock,

#1 Matthews plus Fayne for Myers and #7 (Sergachev) is pretty much perfect.

If EDM’s giving up 1OV, then I’d imagine they’d be looking for an Ehlers or Connor heading back as part of a package heading back, along with a D, even if that means it’s a bigger deal.

78. frjohnk says:

Only 3 days until Toronto media loses their shit? Ha.

Saturday cant come fast enough. Not that I think we will win the lottery, but I bet a lot on how Chia’s summer runs its course will first depend on where the Oilers are going to be picking in the 1st round this June.

Probably only the top 3 prospects will provide any needle movement in the NHL next fall. And even then, counting on another 18 yearold to be an impact player right off the bat would be so Oilers. If the 18 yearold is an impact player right off the bat, then it should be viewed as a bonus.

Picks 4-5 might make the club in the fall, but most likely need another year in jr.

A part of me wants the Oilers to trade the pick for immediate help on the backend ( only if the return in value is there) as this may give us the biggest boost in competing for the playoffs. But a part of me wants the new shiny toy ( especially if its top 3)

79. Fog of Warts says:

If you’d ever been to Smithers, you’d know why. For those who haven’t, Smithers is a now-and-again Barenaked Ladies performance venue, situated roughly halfway between two of Prince’s favourite body parts: his alpine “George” and his rainbow “Rupert” (so sad that Prince will not manage to finish the second leg of his long-gestating anatomical homage, Cyan Snow, due to an epic candy crush).

———

In the quiet room, after the Getzlaf “bunny” brush.

Hamhuis: Where am I?

Medical staff: You’re in the quiet room.

Hamhuis: Who am I?

Medical staff: You’re a Smithereen.

Hamhuis: Where’s my jersey?

Medical staff: We took the liberty of having negative triggers removed.

Hamhuis: Even my socks?

Medical staff: Clean sweep—er—I mean the whole enchilada.

Hamhuis [groggily]: I wanted a German Shepherd, but my sweetie got us an Enchilada. Give her some licorice when she asks out. That’s what she likes—licorice—it’s her reward.

Medical staff: Don’t you worry about your Enchilada. She’s in excellent hands.

Hamhuis: That’s great. So, uh, where were we? Oh, yeah, we were at “where”. What comes after “where”?

Medical staff: In my experience, usually “what”.

Hamhuis: Riiight. What am I?

Medical staff [momentary double take, then continues packing his salts]: Later, alligator—you’ve got enough of a headache already. No need to compound the situation unnecessarily, so I suggest you rest quietly, lean back, and enjoy your mental vacancy.

Hamhuis: Vacancy hurts—I could use a pill.

Medical staff: Doh! I was afraid you might ask … [grits teeth] … well, if you insist—and you promise you won’t remember a thing—here’s a little something I give you to make your vacancy less, uh, flourescent.

Hamhuis: Thanks, doc.

Medical staff: Promise me you won’t remember!

Hamhuis: Sheesh doc, if I could remember a thing, we wouldn’t still be in this silly room.

Medical staff: Indeed.

Medic stands up, checks his watch, and exits the room, closing the door softly behind him.

———

Assistant coach: How is the old bastard?

Medical staff: Not good.

Assistant coach: Did he take a number?

Medical staff: Nope. He fumbled the question that comes before taking a number.

Assistant coach: Crikey! Not even “what hit me?”

Medical staff: Worse, even, than that. Looks like a clear-cut category four.

Assistant coach: Disorientation and a lulu factor? I refuse to believe you—what did he say?

Medical staff: Best if it doesn’t get around. Let’s just say he mistook ethic food for a dog breed.

Assistant coach: You were in there chit-chatting about ethnic food?

Medical staff: Uh, actually, it was just a turn of phrase on my part that didn’t go well.

Assistant coach: Well ain’t that a sophisticated bedside manner for the quiet room.

Medical staff: It didn’t come out as intended—look, I was trying to back track from another phrase—oh, hang it, you know the Hokey Pokey?

Assistant coach: You put your right foot in

Medical staff: You take your right foot out

Bieksa [loudly, from down hall]: You guys talking about me?

Assistant coach and medic [together]: No! We’re not talking about you.

Assistant coach [softly]: You don’t think Beaker is going to, uh, get ideas from what he just overheard there?

Medical staff: Beats me. I wash my hands.

80. AsiaOil says:

Rondo,

Not sure how he was used. Normally the Russians don’t even allow the kids who play in the CHL on the international teams. This was a pretty weird situation though. Maybe someone who saw one of the Russian games can tell us how Sergachev was deployed.

81. Pajamah says:

AsiaOil:
    Pajamah,

Matthews Yak and Reinhart for OEL and their #7 pick………..or ARZ can get stuffed.

Sold. Call Tippett and Glendale City Council and make it happen.

And you’re absolutely right. All this Lottery simulation talk, I just hope the team gets a good prospect. Falling to 5 and getting Chychrun might be exactly what this team needs.

I’d still take OEL and lower pick over Chychrun/Hamonic though. OEL and Chychrun would be as LT says, manna from heaven.

82. Pajamah says:

Fog of Warts,

This I like.

Solid, yet borderline asylum-worthy rant yet again.

83. AsiaOil says:

Interview with Sergachev after loss in the semi’s

Interview with Puljujarvi right after

84. Richard S.S. says:

I was headed off to work a 12-hour night shift yesterday evening and double-checked the Lowetide site on my phone. I saw that a new post was just up (within minutes of last check) titled Draft …. and I forget what else. At work 20 minutes later the Lowetide site had the Lowetide header, all the ads and “no site found here” in the body of the site. I just thought the site had been overwhelmed, I didn’t know termites had eaten well. I’m glad Lowetide is back up, but deny responsibility for dinner.

I don’t understand the media’s almost obsession with the Oilers. The NHL’s draft lottery is the problem because without it, the Oilers don’t get McDavid and another 1st round pick. Oilers aren’t going crazy drafting Defenseman – they need everybody.

85. OF17 says:

It’s essentially looking a gift horse in the mouth, but the idea of being in that 12-18 range has a certain appeal to it. After years of glowing prospect reports about guys like McAvoy and Fabbro, it would be fun to actually get one. Then again, the only reason we haven’t is that we’ve gotten even more impressive prospects, but there’s something about those raw guys with promise that appeals.

Also not sold on Puljujarvi. The low ES scoring, the whispers about not having top offensive potential. Plus, from my limited viewings of him (WJC), he seemed like a guy that looked better than he produced. A lot of his production looked like the product of a pro playing juniors. Just what I saw of course, but big, fast wingers that look great but don’t score much gives me flashbacks to Paajarvi.

86. Rondo says:

AsiaOil,

Thanks for that seems like a great kid.

87. AsiaOil says:

Here’s a shift by shift focus on Pulijarvi from the U-20:

You get a pretty good feel for him this way (instead of just highlights). He’s big and a great skater for his size. Was surprised how defensively responsible he is – back deep and leading zone exit via skating quite a bit, Shot and passing are still raw and need work. Fascinating prospect that I’d leave in Finland for another year as opposed the Laine who is ready to play in the NHL. No qualms picking him at #3 given the options – but would also not be opposed to a trade down in the top 10.

AsiaOil,

A 16 year old out matched 18-20 year olds?

Are you really sure about that AO?

89. GCW_69 says:

Melman:
    Fabbro & Jost in the top15!!The secret is out – LT is in fact the man in the corner whispering BCJHL to the Oilers brass all these years!,

No, that guy is recommending SCOTT CONWAY instead:

90. GCW_69 says:

fifthcartel:
    Bakersfield Condors ‏@Condors1m1 minute ago

I don’t like this.

Shit. If Ford and Klinkhammer are back or anyone else with a 1980s birthday to play a top six role, we know the Oilers still don’t get it.

91. sliderule says:

Woodguy:
    AsiaOil,

A 16 year old out matched 18-20 year olds?

Are you really sure about that AO?

Chychrun got 8 even strength goals as a 16 year old weighing just over 180 lbs .

He came off surgery and still produced just under .8 pts per game..The only semi official weight I have seen is 194 lbs.

Chychrun ,Fabbro and Juolevi will be top one defencemen in NHL..

92. GCW_69 says:

Seems to me the smart move for Oiler fans is to shut up until after the draft lest we incur the wrath of the hockey gords.

93. Bruce McCurdy says:

GCW_69:

“LEST we incur???” Have you been sleeping through the past year?