A LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION

Connor McDavid was nominated for the Calder Trophy yesterday, the first Oiler to get the honor since Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (who should have won the award in 2012). I don’t think McDavid will win it, but the fact he was nominated tells us the NHL realizes how special the young man is—even with fewer than 50 games. I credit Elliotte Friedman, who publicly stated he felt McDavid was the best rookie and put his money where his mouth is on the issue.

CONNOR MCDAVID, 2015-16

• 5×5 points per 60: 2.69 (1st among regular forwards, No. 2 NHL)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 6.68 (1st among regular forwards, No. 5 NHL)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 51.3 (3rd among regular forwards)
  • Qual Comp: 4th toughest competition among regulars (2line)
  • Qual Team: 9th best among regulars (3line)
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: 13.6(1st among regular forwards)
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 105 shots/15.2%
  • Boxcars: 45, 16-32-48

(All numbers via Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com and BehindtheNet.ca)

oilers mcdavid tsn

He posted 34 EV points in 45 games, as a teenage rookie. War-on-Ice has his Individual High-Danger Scoring chances at 64, No. 4 on the team despite the missed games. He had 17.25/60 On-Ice HDSC for, tremendous number. My favorite fancy is his 5×5/60 of 2.69, No. 2 in the entire league behind old man Jagr. I enjoyed every minute of his season, cherished it. One of my dear friends passed away before he played his first NHL game, and another fellow I respect a great deal passed away as his first season was just over. Enjoy these seasons, ladies and men. Nothing lasts forever anymore.

THE BLUE SKY LIST

1. D Erik Karlsson, Ottawa Senators. Franchise player. He won’t move.
  2. D P.K. Subban, Montreal Canadiens. Franchise player. He won’t move. Right?
  3. D Tyson Barrie, Colorado Avalanche. He is close to a perfect fit for the puck-moving portion of this Oilers team, and might be available.
  4. D Jason Demers, Dallas Stars. Effective defenseman, he costs only money.
  5. D Travis Hamonic, NY Islanders. This is a solid player and a great option for Edmonton.
  6. D Sami Vatanen, Anaheim Ducks. I like his puck-moving ability but as with all young blue there is not a clearly established level of ability. What we see is very good offensively.
  7. D Justin Faulk, Carolina Hurricanes. The gap between Faulk and (say) Barrie is not large in my mind. He cooled off as the season wore on but he would be a nice option.
  8. D Michael Stone, Arizona Coyotes. Two-way D spiked offensively this year, you would like to have a little more track with those kind of boxcars.
  9. Jacob Trouba, Winnipeg Jets. Strange year for a talented young player. Could be a buy low situation or a waste of assets.
  10. D Mark Pysyk, Buffalo Sabres. He has had several false starts in Buffalo, but the numbers imply there is a player here. Might shake loose and could help.
  11. D Damon Severson, New Jersey Devils. Under the radar name, he did pretty well in 2015-16. I have no idea if he is available but this is a player who is young enough to grow with the group in Edmonton.
  12. D Jordan Schmaultz, St. Louis Blues. One thing we haven’t looked at a lot is the substantial offensive defensemen in the AHL. Schmaultz is such a player and we could see the Oilers acquire a player like Schmaultz. He is a very good prospect.
  13. D Anthony DeAngelo, Tampa Bay Lightning. Another player with a puck-moving element to his game but not yet estsblished as an NHL player. We have talked about him quite a bit, most recently here.
  14. D Brandon Montour, Anaheim Ducks. This could be a special player. He is not far from a point-per-game as a rookie defensemen in the AHL. No idea if he is available but worth the ask.
  15. D Colin Miller, Boston Bruins. He never gets mentioned, but if you look at the numbers this guy keeps showing up in interesting places. No idea if he has a future, but his now is interesting.
  16. D Eric Gryba, Edmonton Oilers. I doubt Mark Fayne returns, and Gryba could slide in as an inexpensive option in the stay-at-home department.
  17. D Ville Pokka, Chicago Blackhawks. Young defender in the Chicago system just posted a solid year in the AHL. Suspect they will keep him, but you never know.
  18. D Ryan Sproul, Detroit Red Wings. Puck-moving defender in the AHL, he might be ready for an NHL role this fall.
  19. D Dennis Wideman, Calgary Flames. A year removed from a fantastic offensive season, he would probably be available for less than zero. Wildly unpopular idea, it might work.
  20. D Taylor Aronson, Nashville Predators. Minor-league defender with some interesting numbers and he shouldn’t be expensive.

PIERRE-LUC DUBOIS

dubois 2

• Steve Kournianois, The Draft Analyst: A skillful tower of strength in the mold of Jamie Benn or Patrick Marleau, Dubois is a mature specimen who combines God-given physical talents with a sort of sixth sense rarely seen in a teenage prospect. He’s tough to play against on or off the puck, and uses a wide stance and long wingspan to keep the puck nestled within an impregnable zone of protection. Dubois has a long stride and reaches top speed quickly for a forward already above 200 pounds before his 18th birthday. He is a tough out in one-on-one situations, and changes gears fast enough to leave the smartest of positional defenders behind him. His pro shot and quick release are just part of a myriad of ways he can beat you. All that said, his hockey sense and ability to process plays in a nanosecond helps vault him to the upper tier of a very talented group of draft-eligible power forwards. Source

• Red Line Report: His move to centre this season has taken his game to new heights. He’s got the size, hands, hockey sense, and creativity to become a true #1 centre in the NHL. Add in his dedication to  getting better, mental make-up, and willingness to compete hard on every shift in all three zones,and he’s a fairly wart-proof prospect. The only minor pitfall is that he lacks first step explosion and a separation gear at the top end in his stride right now – but he is working on it diligently. Source

If I had a vote, PLD would be my choice for No. 4 overall (behind Matthews and the Finns).

• Dubois overall: 62gp, 42-57-99
  • Dubois even strength: 62gp, 29-36-65
  • Dubois power play: 62gp, 10-17-27
  • Dubois penalty kill: 62gp, 3-4-7
  • Tkachuk overall: 57gp, 30-77-107
  • Tkachuk even strength: 57gp, 20-43-63
  • Tkachuk power play: 57gp, 9-33-42
  • Tkachuk penalty kill: 57gp, 1-1-2

The two men are about equal at even strength (1.05 for Dubois, 1.11 for Tkachuk) but Tkachuk wins the PP battle going away. Interesting to see Dubois gather so much of his offense (seven per cent) on the penalty kill. He is 6.03, 202 and was born June 24, 1988—Dubois is 195 days younger than Tkachuk. I don’t see either man as a center, Dubois or Tkachuk will likely be tied to Connor McDavid should Edmonton use the pick on either. The London Knights have churned out a lot of players over the years with gaudy numbers—it’s what they do—but the NHL results are uneven at best:

• Rob Schremp NHLE final junior season: 63 points; Per 82NHL games: 39 points
  • Dave Bolland NHLE final junior season: 54 points; Per 82NHL games: 39 points
  • Sergei Kostitsyn NHLE final junior season: 55 points; Per 82NHL games: 41 points
  • Patrick Kane NHLE final junior season: 62 points; Per 82NHL games: 83 points
  • Sam Gagner NHLE final junior season: 55 points; Per 82NHL games: 47 points
  • Patrick Maroon NHLE final junior season: 35 points; Per 82NHL games: 35 points
  • Nazem Kadri NHLE final junior season: 41 points; Per 82NHL games: 49 points
  • Vladislav Namestnikov NHLE final junior season: 28 points; Per 82NHL games: 33 points
  • Max Domi NHLE final junior season: 47 points; Per 82NHL games: 52 points
  • Matt Tkachuk NHLE final junior season: 49 points; Per 82NHL games: ???

A couple things: Some of these players hung around for their 18 and 19 year old seasons, so that skews things a bit. Second, the underlined players are the ones who NHLE missed badly either way, Schremp to the poor and Kane to plus points (+21 as it turns out). So, Tkachuk most closely resembles Max Domi offensively here, but Domi hung around for two extra seasons. I think Tkachuk might be a better offensive player than pretty much all of the guys on this list—save Kane—and perhaps in a range with Kadri and Domi, with the understanding Tkachuk could spike in his next OHL season. Fair? Early days of course. I would still take the player from Quebec province.

There is always a chance, however slight, one of the top three teams does something crazy. Now, Toronto looks like they know what they are doing (their entire 2015 draft took a step forward) and Winnipeg has a growing reputation for being a quality team at the draft (they had some wobble in their 2015 draft—Jansen Harkins, their second-round pick, struggled). Columbus had a solid draft and Jarmo Kekalainen will have fabulous intel on the Finns. I don’t think Edmonton gets a chance at any of the consensus top three overall, but a veteran GM like Peter Chiarelli will no doubt hold on to the pick just in case.

Ack! Dammit! This is not good, people. Bruce Boudreau in Calgary would be ass in one way, fabulous in another. Hartley’s style fit my idea of the Flames (1970s) but Boudreau would have that team firing on all pistons by Christmas. Lordy.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Today on the show, 10 this morning on TSN1260:

• Jonathan Willis, Cult of Hockey and Oilers Nation. What should the Oilers do at No. 4?
  • Guy Flaming, Pipeline Show. Preview of WHL Finals.
  • Scott Cullen, TSN. Draft lottery, playoffs, Blue Jays.
  • Andrew Bucholtz, 55-Yard Line. Player safety, and all these retirements.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

93 Responses to "A LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION"

1. flyfish1168 says:

I believe Yak should have won the Calder.

2. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Put me down for ranking Hamonic as the #3 option. Ahead of Demers, whom I’m still a fan of.

I realize he costs assets, but for me it’s the contract that does it. A solid top pairing Dman (1 step under elite but still legit) at the right age, signed for several years under $4 million. That’s huge.

Hamonic + Pouliot costs the same, functionally, as Ebs + Gryba or Demers + Kassian. Just under $8 million for the pair, more or less. There is value there that can’t be ignored.

Also, I realize we tend to disparage character descriptions in favor of analytics, heck I’m on board, but that said I’ve heard several Islanders sources on NHL radio interviews describe Hamonic as the undisputed #1 leader on the team. Extremely well respected kid in the locker room. It’s not everything, but it sure doesn’t hurt.

3. dangilitis says:

Don’t know if people have seen this interview yet, I am usually late to the party.

“Q: Did you ever have this kind of understanding with someone else earlier in your career? Maybe in the junior leagues with Alex Galchenyuk?

A: Yes, we did have something like that. Nobody disturbed me and Alex. In the end of the first season in Edmonton I played well with Shawn Horcoff and Taylor Hall. It depends a lot on the partners. But you also need to look at the ice time. It is easy to find the chemistry with anyone in a trio, although all the players are different. However, I did not have that much of a chance to build a line with someone. The players in the trio constantly changed, the line was disturbed. There is no desire to remember it. And I’m not used to look back. In Edmonton there were some good moments. But unfortunately there were also some bad ones, which I want to forget, to start with a clean slate.”

“Q: Yakupov-Datsyuk could be a nice pair on the Russian national team. How do you see yourself with such a star centre?

A: It’s a great dream! I have not played against Datsyuk this season, but I did before and he’s a tremendous hockey player. It is fun to watch him play. And when you play against Pavel, you are completely focused. You know what this player can do magical things, which you do not expect from normal players. But I cannot pray enough to play with Datsyuk. We came to perform the same task. I have no right to choose my partners. I will play with anyone. But playing with Pasha would be a huge honour. I remember how I used to watch Datsyuk as a child. He came in the summer for a master class at our school in Nizhnekamsk, he taught us to skate. These were invaluable lessons!”

So:

1) Any verbal from Yak that was a bit more ambivalent about staying in Edmonton is clearly not the case, his mind was made up earlier in the season. And that’s completely fair

2) His favourite C to play with were Horcoff, Roy, and McDavid, separated by a good chunk of time with Lander, Letestu, talented but RAW centers, and co. Is this a surprise to anyone outside of management and coaching?

3) If he does get to play with Datsyuk, and does well, that could hopefully boost trade value. Or open the brass’ eyes that he could play a top 6 role. Almost certainly they would view it as the former.

4. jake70 says:

Is Dubois a 1988 or 1998 birthday? If 88, quite an overager. 🙂

5. dustrock says:

LT you’ll probably decline but could you upload what RLR says about Chychrun?

Was reading HF Boards (yeah, yeah), and a guy who says he’s seen Dubois about 38 times says Jamie Benn is honestly the best example he could think of.

A couple of people said his size and toolbox is somewhat reminiscent of Couturier, possibly with a bit more offensive talent. Which also sounds pretty damn good.

Ca$h-McMoney!,

I agree that Hamonic’s contract is pretty amazing. Imagine a world where the Oilers somehow grab Subban and Hamonic and you can run Sekera-Subban and Klefbom-Hamonic, and Davidson-Fayne.

6. dangilitis says:

Also, going to put my 2 cents in here that I am really loving the way SJ has played so far, and why I am rooting for them:

– They are stacked with Canadians in important positions at F, D, and G.

– I can’t think of 2 more deserving guys to win a Cup than Marleau and Thornton. If anyone understands the undeserved criticism that Hall and co. take for being on a losing team, its these 2. Only they have missed the playoffs just once throughout their entire careers with SJ. Over 100 pts each in the playoffs. We would kill for that kind of “poor leadership/compete”

– Empathy for taking away their best chance at a Cup run and destroying Michalek.

Would love a SJ vs. PIT final

7. kinger_OIL says:

– Great post LT. Ricki mentioned it in last post: but what if we went old on 1 years contracts: Get Wideman (really doubt Flames trade to us though), and say a Brian Campbell for a year, and then you add one of your Barrie, Demers, Harmonic etc.

– Instead of going for it all with two 5×6 contracts, a one year over pay for a vet and 1 5×6.

– With vets that still can play for a year: you buy a year of development, and proper slotting for Griff/Nurse/Dvidson/Osterle etc.

8. G Money says:

Hartley news: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

This is not good, folks. Not good at all.

That team has a solid set of defensemen and decent forwards. They suck, and have sucked, in large part because of terrible coaching.

Get a decent coach on that team, and they’ll be back in the playoff hunt.

Dammit, I figured they wouldn’t clue in on this for another year. It’s mucho annoying that the teams in Calgary and Toronto are making intelligent moves – especially since the mixed results so far mean we’re still waiting on proof of that here.

9. dustrock says:

dangilitis,

Sharks have been my #2 team since expansion. (Pat Falloon!)

I remember Torres’ elbow on Michalek, told my brother that might have just won the series for the Oilers. That and Roloson’s unbelievable glove save against Cheechoo.

Think the Sharks would have won the Cup that year.

10. Rondo says:

PLD vs. MT

MT has played an extra season when compared to PLD. The fact that PLD is 195 younger than MT is huge.

11. Water Fire says:

G Money:
    Hartley news: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

This is not good, folks.Not good at all.

That team has a solid set of defensemen and decent forwards.They suck, and have sucked, in large part because of terrible coaching.

Get a decent coach on that team, and they’ll be back in the playoff hunt.

12. dustrock says:

New Radiohead, “Burn the Witch”.

Song is pretty good, video is fantastic.

13. kinger_OIL says:

G Money,

G: with the Leafs in particular: they are going to be hard to compete for FA’s for rebuild :

– 1st they have more cap room.

– 2nd while their management is bloated, they have a lot of smart guys to prevent dumb overpays

– 3rd: More players are going to be attracted to living in Toronto than Edm: just a fact of life.

I can’t stand the leafs, but I live in Toronto, when they play well, the players are treated like Kings. It’s the capital of Hockey in the world. Just saying we have more competition for FA’s

14. vinotintazo says:

Rondo: MT has played an extra season when compared to PLD. The fact that PLD is 195 younger than MT is huge

for me is:
    -Better Player all around
    -Potential
    -Fits what the team needs.
    -Slam dunk consensus pick (ie, you’re sitting @ 4 on 2013, and nashville picks Jones when they dont need him.)

Edit: I would pick PLD too.

15. Klima's_Bucket says:

Water Fire: I wonder if this is the feeling the other teams got when Edmonton hired an established coach.

I don’t think Pat Quinn caused anybody any grey hairs.

16. Little Poteet says:

dustrock,

Saw the title and thought it would be a cover of the Queens of the Stoneage song

17. JimmyV1965 says:

Not sure what value this has, but I was reading an article about Tyson Barrie on an Avalanche fan site and there was a real sense that it might be tough to re-sign him this year and that he might need to be traded. Is offering the 4th overall a reasonable deal? We could always threaten to offer sheet him, which would be our first round next year + later picks. I would think the Avs would prefer this year’s pick.

18. linkfromhyrule says:

Imagine if Calgary hired Carlyle instead of Boudreau. Wasn’t it Burke who hired him in TOR?

IMO Boudreau > Mclellan >>>>>>> Carlyle, Hartley

I seriously wish the results were more positive here. Chia has been a mixed bag of mostly good with some headscratchers mixed in, same with Todd.

I hate that Toronto and Calgary are being better managed, but I think it is good for the country overall if our hockey teams aren’t perpetually fighting for the #1 overall draft pick. It’s a national embarrassment.

At the very least, the Battle of Alberta just might be relevant again!

19. Santa says:

Hey LT,

I asked a couple threads ago, and I certainly don’t want to derail anything, but I think it might have been missed at the end, so I’ll ask again. Have you heard anything about Rem Pitlick? His numbers are great, very similar to Clayton Keller. Are any scouts talking about him? Is he worth taking a chance on with a later round pick?

20. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Santa,

5ft 9inches
    195 pounds

Rem “Brick Shithouse” Pitlick
    Cousin to Tyler.

89 points in 52 USHL games… but doesn’t appear to have had a spot on the development team.

Interesting mid rounder for sure.

21. Richard S.S. says:

So, Nail Yakupov is gone – sooner or later. It’s hoped his appearance at the Worlds boosts his stock, increases his demand. He needs to play on a Team’s best line, but he doesn’t drive the bus. When he played on less than the best lines, he was expected to drive the bus – something he never learned. He adjusts his game to fit his linemates’ talents, something that takes time. Time was something he was never given enough of – it’s hard to adjust down. Hopefully Chiarelli makes the right evaluation, he’s a big asset in the right trade.

22. qball141 says:

I think the value of room leadership gets lost in the conversation sometimes. Purcell’s comment about voices in the room got me thinking about how few of those there are in Edmonton. Hall and McDavid lead on the ice but I don’t see them as leaders in the room (not being there just conjecture). Who’s the vet leader in the room? Is it Hendricks? What would a guy like Backes bring, or if Hamonic is that guy? Every youth movement needs a few good vets and Barrie or Vatenen don’t bring that. Chiarelli had Chara (and others) in Boston. I don’t think the lack of senior leadership is lost on him.

23. hags9k says:

dustrock,

Thanks for the link, wow that’s creepy.

24. McSorley33 says:

I am betting on PLD ….late birthday.

Incredible work ethic.

Worst case scenario incredible 3C with size.

A teenager with a 200 ft game?

Having said that, I would also be happy trading down a few spots to taking a D man. But I don’t think that is very likely to happen.

25. bigbadbruin24 says:

LT,

A couple of things.

Firstly…as a fellow Bruins fan, which I know you are, I respectfully ask that you leave Colin Miller out of any further discussions regarding being traded to Edmonton and instead use your influence to try and convince the Bruins organization to use him more often themselves, lol. I like him a lot.

Secondly…Nice to see you mention Jordan Schmaltz…he is a very interesting option if he is available on the cheap. He scored 36 points on a very average team this year and looks poised to improve nicely. Could be another potentially good fit as a right handed DMan and probably only a year or so away.

Lastly…if you are looking at a real longshot with an outside chance there is another kid in the New Jersey system who hasn’t really had a serious look yet and may be unfairly heading the wrong way down the path in his career. Reece Scarlett is a smaller RHD who was drafted in 2011 in the later rounds while being projected to go either late second or early third round. He does a lot of things well but does not stand out in either a very good or very bad way. Could be a nice addition on the farm with an outside chance to make the bigs one day.

Cheers.

26. leadfarmer says:

Given that two of the most desired coaches last year finished 29th and 30th in the league this year I think we overstate a coaches ability to effect the game. We knew that they were going to regress to the meat this year. The acquisition of Hamilton was going to buffer that effect but he signed the big contract and didn’t play as advertised. Hudler was injured and dropped his production. Giordano did not start the season ready to play. The wheels fell of Wideman. And then whatever adjective you want to describe their goaltending situation, but I doubt Hartley coached Hillers save percentage to drop 40 points.
    I did like the Phlegms better when they were drafting Jankowski and then putting ridiculous expectations like saying he will be the best one in the draft.

27. bbf_iii says:

vinotintazo: Leon was a way older than bennett. this doesnt factor on my evaluation of who we pick.

for me is:
    -Better Player all around
    -Potential
    -Fits what the team needs.

Edit: I would pick PLD too.

The age thing impacts potential though.

28. DLite says:

Not super worried about possible Boudreau to the Flames. They have ZERO goaltending, they have issues at forward and Boudreau has posted his nice coaching record on absolutely stacked teams (Washington/Anaheim). Make no mistake, the Flames are no stacked team. Boudreau could be good for them, but it will be no quick miracle.

29. Ducey says:

leadfarmer:
    Given that two of the most desired coaches last year finished 29th and 30th in the league this year I think we overstate a coaches ability to effect the game.We knew that they were going to regress to the meat this year.The acquisition of Hamilton was going to buffer that effect but he signed the big contract and didn’t play as advertised.Hudler was injured and dropped his production.Giordano did not start the season ready to play.The wheels fell of Wideman.And then whatever adjective you want to describe their goaltending situation, but I doubt Hartley coached Hillers save percentage to drop 40 points.

Agreed. Its the players.

Anaheim has a great GM and a very good team. I wouldn’t expect them to do much worse no matter who their coach is.

CGY may improve with a new coach but they have a ton of holes and not much $$ after they sign their big guns and find a goalie.

30. Richard S.S. says:

It’s been thought that Pierre-Luc Dubois (C), Matthew Tkachuk (L) and Olli Juolevi (LD) could play at the NHL level this fall. I’m not so sure. Not knowing the organizational needs of Winnipeg or Columbus, it’s just possible they don’t take both of the Finns. That makes the #4 pick worth potential gold. I hope Chiarelli is watching, interesting times.

31. Ducey says:

Oh, and poor Yak. He may not get to play on Russia’s top line!

Its so sad he may be expected to play some defense “lower” down the lineup and perhaps actually drive his own line.

I know he is well liked around here, but jeepers, man, take some responsibility for the fact things didn’t work out.

Trading him for one of the RH AHL defensemen mentioned above is the play. He won’t generate much more of a return.

32. kneedeepinit says:

Columbus has a few decent top 6 wingers but no #1 center. If they ever decided to draft based on need, they might pick PLD over Puljujarvii.

#1 centers are very difficult to find and they may not get another top 5 pick for a few years.

33. GCW_69 says:

“D Damon Severson, New Jersey Devils. Under the radar name, he did pretty well in 2015-16. I have no idea if he is available but this is a player who is young enough to grow with the group in Edmonton.”

These articles and others suggest to me Severson could be had:

34. Rondo says:

Tyson Barrie for Travis Hamonic

“Both players give the puck away too often, but Hamonic makes up for it by taking the puck away more than he coughs it up. Hamonic is also as good on the penalty kill as Barrie is on the powerplay, but Barrie is overall the better special teams player with his average PK effectiveness compared to Hamonic’s abysmal powerplay performance.”

35. calgaryoilbaron says:

I expect you are looking at some prospect possibilities from the CHL as well. Here is a list of mostly RH d-men who are, for the most part, over-agers.

Jerret Smith – Seattle Thunderbirds
    Macoy Erkamps – Brandon Wheat Kings
    Colton Bobyk – Red Deer Rebels
    Chase Harrison – Regina Pats
    Ryan Gagnon – Victoria Royals
    Arvin Atwal – Lethbridge Hurricanes
    Kord Pankewicz – Lethbridge Hurricanes
    Jesse Lees – Prince Albert Raiders
    Jason Fram – Spokane Chiefs
    Darren Raddysh – Erie Otters

Possible depth for the Barons — oops, I mean Condors.

36. GCW_69 says:

kneedeepinit:

Interesting point. That does make hanging on to the pick until Columbus has picked more interesting.

37. Truth says:

gary lawless ✔ ‎@garylawless
    Mark Hillier, #nhljets dir. of am scouting, tells @hustlerlawless doesn’t believe there is organizational consensus at this point on #2 pick

Couldn’t this just mean they don’t have a consensus on the best player in the draft? If there’s no consensus #1 out of Mathews / Laine, then there is no consensus on #2 either. It also lets them proclaim they got the #1 guy on their board come draft day.

38. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

calgaryoilbaron:
    I expect you are looking at some prospect possibilities from the CHL as well.Here is a list of mostly RH d-men who are, for the most part, over-agers.

Jerret Smith – Seattle Thunderbirds
    Macoy Erkamps – Brandon Wheat Kings
    Colton Bobyk – Red Deer Rebels
    Chase Harrison – Regina Pats
    Ryan Gagnon – Victoria Royals
    Arvin Atwal – Lethbridge Hurricanes
    Kord Pankewicz – Lethbridge Hurricanes
    Jesse Lees – Prince Albert Raiders
    Jason Fram – Spokane Chiefs
    Darren Raddysh – Erie Otters

Possible depth for the Barons — oops, I mean Condors.

Erkamps signed with Ottawa.

Lots of locals, including the primary blogger, think Pankewicz is the best Dman on the Canes, inclusive of Andrew Nielsen. I don’t agree but it’s out there.

Dallas Eakins had mentioned Brian Burke as a mentor of his.

Given that and the fact that his parent club in Anaheim have head coach positions open, I wonder if Eakins lands one of them?

40. kinger_OIL says:

Woodguy,

– How fun would the Battle of Alberta be with Dallas as coach of Calgary…

41. doritogrande says:

I haven’t gone back and read his scouting report yet, but can someone please describe the differences between Dubois and last year’s Dal Colle? He’s fallen off a cliff this year, and is NYI’s newest candidate for “let’s trade a high draft pick for 150 cents on the dollar because he was a high draft pick” From the buzz I hear the same words; speed, size, strength, compete, but do they translate to anything more promising than a 4th overall Ethan Moreau?

Trade down, grab an NHL asset, and pick whatever D prospect is left at 10.

Finally, regarding Trouba, just say no. I’ve seen him more often than most, and he peaked early. Ceiling is probably Jason Smith, and he’s wanting 5M.

42. Klima's_Bucket says:

kinger_OIL,

Honest question,

When was the Battle of Alberta actually a battle?
    The 80’s???
    The early 90’s???

I don’t remember many good battles in the last 20 years.

43. AsiaOil says:

I’ll call it now – Columbus passes on Puljujarvi and takes Dubois – but I run to the stage for either guy.

Yak for Severson makes a ton of sense for both teams – NJD is desperate for forwards

44. jake70 says:

kinger_OIL:
    Woodguy,

– How fun would the Battle of Alberta be with Dallas as coach of Calgary…

Well, if they are nationally televised Saturday night late games, fun might not be the right word for one fan base, regardless of the coach.

45. Jordan says:

jake70: Well, if they are nationally televised Saturday night late games, fun might not be the right word for one fan base,regardless of the coach.

I don’t know if Ryan Nugetn-Hopkins would ever recover from the heartbreak of hearing Dallas talk about Sam Bennett’s eyes.

46. pocession charge says:

AsiaOil:

Is this because of Columbus’ center depth or do you think Kekalainen hates big Finns who can play?

47. pocession charge says:

I would have a tough time passing on PLD at number 4. People are drawing comparisons to Jamie Benn, which is a decent comp, but in my limited viewing he reminds me a lot of Rick Nash (only is more physical). PLD really likes to drive the puck to the net and play in heavy traffic — exactly the type of player the Oilers need in their top 6.

48. pocession charge says:

Woodguy:
    Dallas Eakins had mentioned Brian Burke as a mentor of his.

Given that and the fact that his parents club in Anaheim have head coach positions open, I wonder if Eakins lands one of them?

Time to dust off the Disney bootjack.

kinger_OIL:
    Woodguy,

– How fun would the Battle of Alberta be with Dallas as coach of Calgary…

Pretty much everyone who look forward to it.

I hope it happens.

50. BlueNoteNorth says:

Iirc Boudreau has immediate family in Ottawa area, so hope he lands with the Sens.

51. frjohnk says:

AsiaOil:

Columbus has a decent group of wingers in Saad, Atkinson, Hartnell, Jenner ( drafted as a center but plays the wing mostly)
    They don’t have anything in the pipeline to plug the hole that was made when they traded Johanssen.

For Columbus:
    Puljarvi is drafting BPA ( what most lists say)
    Dubois would be drafting for need.

It will come down to how much of a gap Columbus scouts feel there is between the two players.

If it’s small, Columbus may feel drafting for need is more appropriate for them.
    Heck, maybe Columbus scouts have Dubois ahead of the Fin.

52. G Money says:

kinger_OIL,

Agreed. They aren’t the centre of the universe like they think they are, but TO is a preferred UFA destination vis a vis Edmonton. TO certainly doesn’t regularly hit the top (or is it bottom) of the ‘places players don’t want to go’ list.

linkfromhyrule,

I will dance a jig if they hire Carlyle. That would be a wonderfully sideways step.

leadfarmer,
    Ducey,

There are multiple examples (Boudreau in Anaheim is a recent one; Tippet over Gretzky is probably the most ‘famous’ one) of a new coach stepping in and causing a substantial jump in performance.

I think the impact of Babcock and McLellan are both understated this year – Babcock because there’s no question his GM deliberately tanked his roster (and yet he still significantly improved their underlying play), and McLellan managed to push an injured team playing an insane schedule to a modest but across the board improvement.

Coaches can’t actually dictate results, which ultimately boil down to a bunch of factors, many random or otherwise uncontrollable, but they do control the process. And the process in both cities was markedly improved over previous years, and I expect that WILL pay dividends in the near future.

I think we’re looking at an asymmetric situation – a good coach cannot make a silk purse out of a pigs ear, but a bad coach can certainly markedly retard performance. There’s no question in my mind that a big part of Calgary’s poor performance (last years fluke run notwithstanding) has been a lousy process due to lousy coaching.

If they replace Hartley with e.g. Boudreau, I expect we’ll see something approaching the same +5% CF% jump that Anaheim saw when Boudreau took over – and that represents a jump of 10 to 12 spots in the standings.

Which is why if he does take over, I think Calgary immediately becomes a likely-playoff team.

Which sucks.

53. John Chambers says:

pocession charge:
    I would have a tough time passing on PLD at number 4.People are drawing comparisons to Jamie Benn, which is a decent comp, but in my limited viewing he reminds me a lot of Rick Nash (only is more physical).PLD really likes to drive the puck to the net and play in heavy traffic — exactly the type of player the Oilers need in their top 6.

Although I agree that PLD not only projects as a great player and perfect player type, the problem is that he won’t mature into the desired player at the NHL level until age 22 – or roughly 3.5-4 seasons from now. For Oiler fans and Chiarelli it’s just too long to wait.

If some kind of sequence of trades occurs that sees:

The #4 OV pick + Reinhart to COL for Barrie + their pick (#10 or 11, I believe), and then trade the ~#11 OV pick + Fayne to NYI for Hamonic we’ll have overhauled RD having only paid in picks and non-core roster players.

54. John Chambers says:

frjohnk,

I actually think Puljuraavi is riding the coattails of Laine somewhat, and that PLD appears to be a more attractive pick.

Clb’s GM is of course Finnish, however I’m not sure whether that promotes the Finn, or may deter them from drafting young Jesse (pronounced Yesssee).

55. pocession charge says:

John Chambers: Although I agree that PLD not only projects as a great player and perfect player type, the problem is that he won’t mature into the desired player at the NHL level until age 22 – or roughly 3.5-4 seasons from now.

You mean right when Taylor Hall’s contract expires? PLD seems like the ideal replacement.

56. John Chambers says:

pocession charge: You mean right when Taylor Hall’s contract expires?PLD seems like the ideal replacement.

1) We plan on replacing vs re-signing Taylor Hall
    2) The pick is our main piece of currency to fix the D. otherwise we’re needing to trade a roster player to remedy the D and PLD can’t fill that hole for 2-3 more years.

57. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

How about that Curtis Hamilton kid? Looking good for team Canada.

58. David says:

John Chambers:
    frjohnk,

I don’t know how he could possibly be riding on the coat tails of a player that scouts took note of after him and who he hasn’t played with except the world juniors where he outshone Laine.

59. Jaxon says:

Dubois over Tkachuk all the way. Tkachuk’s 41 secondary assists is quite alarming and he led the OHL in that category. I think it does lend credence to him being ‘zoomed’ by Marner and Dvorak. It seems he simply passed to Marner and Dvorak and they did the rest on 41 of his 107 pts and I suspect a good number of his goals may have been the clean up the garbage variety. Dubois had nobody feeding him points. Dubois was 20 pts ahead of his next teammate. He was also +40 on the season! He was definitely driving play for his team. Tkachuk? Not likely. Also, giving your coach a player who can also play center is an amazing gift. If a top 6 LW is hurt move Dubois to LW, if a C is hurt, you have a choice between Draisaitl and Dubois. If a top 6 RW is hurt move Draisaitl to RW.

I relly like the looks of:

Maroon / McDavid / Eberle
    Hall / Nugent-Hopkins / Kassian
    Pouliot / Dubois / Draisaitl
    Hendricks / Letestu / Pakarinen
    OR
    Pouliot / McDavid / Eberle
    Hall / Nugent-Hopkins / Draisaitl
    Maroon / Dubois / Kassian – that would be one nasty line to play against as your 3rd line facing easier competition

60. cc says:

Santa,

Pitlick is an overager. His draft year was last year, he’s one year older than Keller.

I believe, he’s the son of former NHL’er Lance (same last name) and his dad was a helluva tough guy. Button had him listed in his top 100. He’s listed between 5’7 – 5’9 and put on 20+ pounds this past year. He more than quadrupled his PPG from last year.

I think he’s likely a mid-round pick (anywhere from 3rd – 5th round). If I were the Oiler’s I would draft a guy like this with one of their 3rd round picks. It would be ironic if he made the Oiler’s but his cousin (Tyler) doesn’t make it.

“The returns he’s getting on his work ethic; he’s understanding that the harder he works, the more returns he’s going to get,” Todd Krygier (Head Coach) said. “Other guys will be gone, and an hour after practice he’s still shooting pucks at our shooting station. … He does a lot of extra work that people don’t see or know. … This stuff just doesn’t happen by mistake.”

61. Ducey says:

doritogrande:

Trade down, grab an NHL asset, and pick whatever D prospect is left at 10.

Please explain on Dal Colle. It looks like he struggled in Oshawa but after a trade he put up 55 pts in 30 games (including 27 goals) and then 18pts in 9 playoff games.

Seems ok?

62. rickithebear says:

Rondo: Tyson Barrie for Travis Hamonic

Another analysis with minimal look at Defence.

Calling hamonic a Def d is a slap in the face of cup final driving D like
    Lidstrom 95, 97, 98, 02, 08, 09
    Pronger 06, 07
    Hjarlmasson 09, 13, 15
    Muzzin 12, 14
    R. Warrener fld 96, BUF 99, CGY 04

63. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

rickithebear: Another analysis with minimal look at Defence.

Calling hamonic a Def d is a slap in the face of cup final driving D like
    Lidstrom 95, 97, 98, 02, 08, 09
    Pronger 06, 07
    Hjarlmasson 09, 13, 15
    Muzzin 12, 14
    R. Warrener fld 96, BUF 99, CGY 04

Ricki I’m saying this from a positive place, but I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

Are you saying Hamonic is bad? And how does it relate to Barrie?

64. Chachi says:

rickithebear: Another analysis with minimal look at Defence.

Calling hamonic a Def d is a slap in the face of cup final driving D like
    Lidstrom 95, 97, 98, 02, 08, 09
    Pronger 06, 07
    Hjarlmasson 09, 13, 15
    Muzzin 12, 14
    R. Warrener fld 96, BUF 99, CGY 04

“One of these things is not like the others,
    One of these things just doesn’t belong,
    Can you tell which thing is not like the others
    By the time I finish my song?!”

65. Jaxon says:

Other Right D targets on my list: CBJ RFA Michael Paliotta, MTL RFA Morgan Ellis, NYI RFA Scott Mayfield. As well as WSH Madison Bowey. Bowey would probably cost a decent roster player like Yakupov or Davidson but he has top pairing RD potential. The fact that the others are RFAs may make them quite affordable and I think there is a chance Paliotta becomes next season’s Parayko.

66. pocession charge says:

John Chambers: I suppose that’s one way of looking at it, however I have contention with two aspects of this:
    1) We plan on replacing vs re-signing Taylor Hall

1) Signing Hall is a possibility but a) he might not want to and b) those final ‘big’ contracts aren’t good value as you are paying aging players for declining performance. Those dollars might be better spent elsewhere
    2) There are several other ways to get two defencemen without trading a very valuable, expansion-protected asset. Take a look at the teams in cap hell and make a deal with them. Look at free agency options. Plug remaining holes with inexpensive veteran contracts.

67. elegiaccycle says:

First post. LT, I’m an avid fan of your work everywhere and appreciate your voice of reason in some very dark years.

Some thoughts:
    1. I was more bummed out by us dropping to #4 than I thought I would be, but now I’ve had an about face. If we placed any higher, wouldn’t we have no other choice but to keep the pick? I know that doesn’t sound like a problem, but with entry level bonuses (that they’ll probably get) and their faster development demanding big pay increases (when that money needs to pay for high end D), it could really handcuff us down the road. Having #4 is kind of awesome in that it is the “highest” of picks that can be considered a powerful trade chip. If there’s any year that we really need a strong trade chip, it’s this year. This has to be the year where we TRADE to become competitive for a playoff spot and #4 may be just the gift to do it. To trade anything above #4 would be ridiculous and you would just have to bite the bullet for the headaches it will bring later.

2. I like Demers the more I read about him, BUT is it really going to be easy as money to get him? I feel like he’s pretty important to Dallas and the Dallas people know that. Not sure if it’s going to be easy to pry him out of the hands of Dallas. The other concern I have is that the market doesn’t seem to be that great for FA’s this year and I think a lot of people must be keying Demers no? Anyways, I think we should temper the rhetoric out there that thinks Demers will simply be an easy buy. I wouldn’t completely blame Chia if he can’t get him although many will. Any kind of dance with the Oilers will be a tough one to set up.

3. Jonathan Willis’ idea of Reinhart+ for Shaw sounds verrrry interesting to a cap strapped team like the Hawks. Those are the kind of creative deals that will need to happen this summer.

4. Trading RNH has really really got to be the LAST possible option.

5. If Calgary gets decent coaching, I admit I will be sad. (Erm, I don’t suppose we can still get Hamilton somehow? I’m still smarting from that signing.)

Cheers.

68. kinger_OIL says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    kinger_OIL,

Honest question,

When was the Battle of Alberta actually a battle?
    The 80’s???
    The early 90’s???

I don’t remember many good battles in the last 20 years.

– There was a time from about 1984 to 1992 or 1993 I think that no team came to Alberta and won both games. It was an awesome streak

– but yeas no “battle” for at least 20 years!

69. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

kinger_OIL,

Tank battles don’t count?

70. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Today I got to explain to a Penguins blogger I follow on Twitter what “Jultzing” is.

Today was a good day.

elegiaccycle:

Some thoughts:
    1. I was more bummed out by us dropping to #4 than I thought I would be, but now I’ve had an about face. If we placed any higher, wouldn’t we have no other choice but to keep the pick? I know that doesn’t sound like a problem, but with entry level bonuses (that they’ll probably get) and their faster development demanding big pay increases (when that money needs to pay forhigh end D), it could really handcuff us down the road. Having #4 is kind of awesome in that it is the “highest” of picks that can be considered a powerful trade chip. If there’s any year that we really need a strong trade chip, it’s this year. This has to be the year where we TRADE to become competitive for a playoff spot and #4 may be just the gift to do it. To trade anything above #4 would be ridiculous and you would just have to bite the bullet for the headaches it will bring later.

4. Trading RNH has really really got to be the LAST possible option.

Cheers.

Welcome! I fear Chicago would be more interested in Brandon Davidson.

72. fifthcartel says:

Choosing Reinhart over Davidson would be a bad bet imo. Same with moving Davidson for Shaw.

BlueNoteNorth:

Ottawa is a budget team. Minnesota and Calgary are cap teams. Boudreau is going to be getting McLellan money…i.e. $3 million per season.

Calgary is more attractive talent wise than Minnesota. Boudreau would probably try getting Treliving to trade for Fred Andersen.

Expect the “worst”.

74. Rondo says:

Still think whoever made the trade for Reinhart should be fired.

Kekalainen “knows” forwards.

He’s drafted Hossa, Havlat, Fisher, Spezza, Oshie, Bergland, Perron, Backes, Tarasenko, and Schwartz, plus Pieterangelo.

If he thinks Dubois is better that Puljujarvi, he will have no problem making the call.

Rondo:
    Still think whoever made the trade for Reinhartshould be fired.

Apparently Jordan Schmaultz is a substantial prospect, while Reinhart apparently is a bust. Somebody please explain. Both are the same age and the same draft year and same first round.

77. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

We’ve been through so much the last 10 years.

All that said, and I know this isn’t logical given some of the other moves, but man…. if they move Davidson for a limited return it might break me as a fan. It would just be such a massive signal that the organization just doesn’t get it.

Defensemen get injured. It is really silly to trade a D for a forward IMHO.

Reinhart, even if he is #8, is going to play a lot. If Reinhart is your #8 defensemen, that is a good thing. St. Louis doesn’t view Schmaultz in the AHL as a bad thing.

Shaw is going to cost too much for a 3rd line player. The OIlers are already overpaying two bottom six forwards in Korpikoski and Hendricks. And almost all the available cap room is going to be going for those two right shot top 4D.

79. Ducey says:

godot10: Apparently Jordan Schmaultz is a substantial prospect, while Reinhart apparently is a bust.Somebody please explain.Both are the same age and the same draft year and same first round.

The Oilers are nearly a last place team every year. Therefore everything they do must be wrong.

80. prairieschooner says:

Acquiring a number 1 d man pushes 6 guys lower on the depth chart assuming some guys can play left or right
    Aim high Chia

81. AsiaOil says:

Ca$h-McMoney!: We’ve moved some substantial talents at the end of their deals, like Petry. Sold low on Marincin. Buried Souray in the minors when he was our best Dman.

Agree on Petry and Souray – but Marincin returned a 4th and marginal prospect. What exactly is “selling high” for a 3rd pair dman on the worst team in the league? Not being saucy – I’m really wondering what you think the guy was worth given that Petry only returned a 2nd and a 5th (the latter pick very likely to turn out exactly like the prospect TOR shipped to us in the Marincin deal). Does anyone really think Chia purposely accepted less than the best offer for Marincin?

82. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

AsiaOil,

I get the confusion, poor word choice on my part.

Wasn’t really talking about Market return on Marincin, I agree he’s worth what he’s worth.

I was simply a fan of the guy and would have preferred we just kept him. It worked out OK because ultimately Davidson took his spot, and I think Davidson is superior. It just seemed so darn unecessary, and it happened right after the Reinhart trade… which in turn was bad for me because when they announce “the oilers have traded the 16th and 33rd pick to the NYI in exchange for”….

I was sure we were getting Hamonic or DeHaan. So Griffin, while I’ve grown to appreciate him for what he is, was a let down.

So yeah, Marincin was more about emotion than anything else. When combined with everything that happened around the trade, it just managed to make me really worry about the direction of the team, and all of this shortly after we drafted Connor McDavid.

83. AsiaOil says:

I honestly think the gap between Puljujarvi and Dubois is less than it’s made out to be.

Puljujarvi: 6-3 / 203 50GP 13-15-28 +5 22 PIM (RW, RHS, May 98 BD) NHLE=24.8

Dubois: 6-3 / 202 62GP 42-57-99 +40 112 PIM (center/wing, LHS, June 98 BD) NHLE=36.7

Dubois plays a tougher game and is a center. Puljujarvi is a bit more skilled (but not tons IMHO) and plays a solid two-way game. Both move well for men their size. I think offensive upside is similar with Dubois maybe being a bit under-rated and Puljujarvi being a bit over-rated.

Would be thrilled to draft either and it’s no foregone conclusion that Columbus drafts Puljujarvi given their desperate situation at center. The Oilers absolutely do not need to over-think this. Sit back and see what Columbus does and simply take the other guy – they are both fantastic players and fill a need in the top 6. I keep the pick unless a team over-pays with a RHD – something like Reinhart plus #4 for Larsson plus #11. We are going to get a great forward or a team will serve up a RHD – happy either way.

84. AsiaOil says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

OK cool – I’m a fan of Marincin as well – but that was market value and we have Klef/Sekera/Reinhart/Davidson/Nurse all on the left side. Simply no room at the inn if we kept him.

85. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

AsiaOil,

I think, at the end of the day, it comes down to the fact that we’ve been talking about Puljujarvi since he was 16, and every time he’s been on our TV screens, he hasn’t just been good, he’s been massively dominant in a Jagr’ist sense.

Math doesn’t do it justice, but there seems to be a psychological barrier separating 3 from 4 here.

86. PeOiler says:

Beware the Q.

Yes, Dubois looks good out there but so did Josh Currie, John Huberdeau, John Drouin, Mikael Greigerenko or even Marc O’Roy.

I haven’t really dug into any data or anything, but something seems to keep high scoring Q forwards from realizing their draft day potential.

87. pts2pndr says:

kinger_OIL,

Only way that could be better is if he was head coach for Toronto! MacT got sucked into the MSM hype and wasted 2 years development plus destroyed Yak. The man has no apparent leadership skills whatever! He is however a good media personality and a great quote! Oh well time will tell.

88. AsiaOil says:

Huberdeau won the Calder, is big, and is on an upward trend year over year toward being a point per game player (76GP 20-39-59 last season). He’s a nice player and so are Couturier and MacKinnon. Even Drouin will likely pan out.

PeOiler:
    Beware the Q.

I haven’t really dug into any data or anything,but something seems to keep high scoring Q forwards from realizing their draft day potential.

89. Rondo says:

AsiaOil,

PLD will be a better playoff player.

90. AsiaOil says:

Rondo,

Maybe but I’ll be stoked to have either young guy or an overpay for a nice RHD

91. Jaxon says:

PeOiler:
    Beware the Q.

Yes, Dubois looks good out there but so did Josh Currie, John Huberdeau, John Drouin, Mikael Grigorenko or even Marc O’Roy.

That is a really strange group of players you’ve chosen to represent failure of Q draft picks. Currie was never even drafted. Huberdeau looks like a success story to me. He was on the top line on one of the best teams in the NHL this season. Drouin is lighting it up in the playoffs right now, he is 11th highest points/gp of players still active in the playoffs with 7 pts in 7 games. Out of players who have played 100 minutes in the past 2 years, Drouin is 53rd in pts/60 with 1.95 and he just turned 21. Grigorenko is not yet a bust either. He got 27 points this year, not great, but he is also still only 21. Marc O Roy was a stretch pick at 56 and never scored even close to the rate that Dubois has.

I can do the same thing you did with players from the WHL and I’ll do it with players picked in the top 10 who have worse careers than Huberdeau, Drouin and Grigorenko:
    Brett Connolly (WHL, 6th in 2010)
    Scott Glennie (WHL, 8th in 2009)
    Cody Hodgson (WHL, 10th in 2008)
    Zach Hamill (WHL, 8th in 2007)

Or closer to home:
    Gilbert Brule (WHL, 6th in 2005)
    Nail Yakupov (OHL, 1st in 2012)
    Sam Gagner (OHL, 6th in 2007)

Q: Mario Lemieux, Sidney Crosby, Guy Lafleur, Pat Lafontaine, Luc Robitaille, Brad Richards, Pierre Turgeon, Dale Hawerchuk, Denis Savard, Jeremy Roenick, Daniel Briere, Claude Lemieux, Mike Bossy, Radim Vrbata, Vincent Lacavalier, Alex Tanguay, Simon Gagne, Nikita Kucherov, Claude Giroux, Jakub Voracek, Stephane Richer, Michel Goulet, Jason Pomminville, Ales Hemsky, Pascal Dupuis, Nathan MacKinnon, Sean Couturier, Rick Vaive, Vincent Damphousse, Andrej Palat, Guy Carbonneau, Guy Chouinard, Martin Lapointe, Alexander Radulov, Mike Ribiero, Real Cloutier, Jimmy Carson, Derrick Brassard, Matthew Lombardi, Nikolaj Ehlers, Martin Gelinas, Michael Ryder and Steve Kasper.

Yup, stay away from those guys.

I’ll give you Alexandre Daigle, though. But he did get 51 pts three times over a 10 year span in the NHL, so he was a player, just not the player everyone wanted him to be.

92. PeOiler says:

AsiaOil,

Not a bust by any means, but Huberdeau looked like it was his ice that others were lucky to get an invite to play on. I cursed the he’ll out of that Sea Dogs team.

93. Brad says:

I’ve got Faulk at #3 with a bullet on your list LT. He’s closer to Subban/Karlsson territory than Stone-Vatanen. All situations player, right shot, young, good contract, strong fancies, and a successful history with Sekera. If he’s available I trade any single asset (outside of McDavid, obviously) for him.