DRAKE CAGGIULA CHOO-CHOO-CHOOSES OILERS

The Edmonton Oilers were chosen by forward Drake Caggiula today and based on early reaction the sky is falling. I think it might be an idea to talk about Caggiula as a player and what kind of expectations we should have for him in the coming year.

Caggiula is a small forward (listed at 5.10, 185 at UND) and very skilled. He turns 22 in June, played on a very famous line with plenty of firepower:

1. Brock Boeser 42gp, 27-33-60
  2. Drake Caggiula 39gp, 25-26-51
  3. Nick Schmaltz 37gp, 11-35-46

Boeser and Schmaltz are first-round picks by Vancouver and Chicago respectively. Caggiula’s NHLE is 82gp, 22-22-44 off this past season and that is a very nice player.

• Flyers GM Ron Hextall:  “He’s got speed, he plays hard, he has a lot of good attributes.  He’s got a shot at being a top six (player) based on his ability. He’s not the biggest player, but he plays hard.”

McKenzie wrote about him awhile back, Jonathan Toews was instrumental in Caggiula going to UND.

• Chris Dilks about Caggiula: Caggiula is a smaller forward, but plays with tremendous effort and grit. He makes life miserable for the opposition on the forecheck and plays a strong two-way game. He’s having a sensational senior season as a linemate of first round NHL picks Brock Boeser and Nick Schmaltz. It’s unlikely he is the same type of scorer at the next level, but would make an outstanding bottom six energy player. Source

OILERS UPDATED 50-MAN LIST (36)

1. G Cam Talbot. No. 1 next season.
  2. G Laurent Brossoit. Projects as NHL backup/AHL starter, signed a two-year deal.
  3. G Nick Ellis: Newly signed college free agent.
  4. G Eetu Laurikainen, AHL backup, he is signed for next year.
  5. D Oscar Klefbom, likely top pairing, needs to stay healthy.
  6. D Andrej Sekera, top 4D, important part of the team.
  7. D Brandon Davidson, top 6D, maybe even top 4D if he continues on current track.
  8. D Mark Fayne, I question Oilers ability to find three better RH this summer.
  9. D Darnell Nurse, probably top 6D next season, ideally in Bakersfield.
  10. D Griffin Reinhart, may spend another year in the minors. Could be dealt.
  11. D Andrew Ference, they will buy him out (if able). LTIR is my guess.
  12. D Joey Laleggia, AHL D matriculating.
  13. D Dillon Simpson, AHL D, matriculating.
  14. D Ben Betker, AHL D, matriculating.
  15. D Caleb Jones, WHL D. Newly signed, definite slide rule.
  16. C Connor McDavid, Giant.
  17. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, quality NHL center.
  18. C Leon Draisaitl, emerging NHL talent.
  19. C Mark Letestu, checking NHL C.
  20. C Anton Lander, they may find a buyer.
  21. C Jujhar Khaira, he is a good bet to make the roster in the fall.
  22. C Bogdan Yakimov, a chance he comes back. Has NHL tools, speed concern.
  23. C Kyle Platzer, AHL C matriculating.
  24. L Taylor Hall, impact NHL player. Many fans want him gone.
  25. L Benoit Pouliot, underrated by many. Trade rumors.
  26. L Patrick Maroon, big winger has been exceptional since arrival.
  27. L Lauri Korpikoski, Oilers should try to offload him this summer.
  28. L Matt Hendricks, checking NHL W.
  29. L Drake Caggiula. A nice addition, let’s not go crazy on projecting him.
  30. L Jere Sallinen, Newly signed, you can never have too many Finns.
  31. L Mitch Moroz, AHL winger/enforcer, matriculating.
  32. L Braden Christoffer, rugged winger, matriculating.
  33. R Jordan Eberle, scoring winger could be in play.
  34. R Nail Yakupov, gone baby, gone.
  35. R Anton Slepyshev, talented winger should push for NHL time.
  36. R Greg Chase, minor league winger, matriculating.

WAITING IN THE WINGS (CONTRACTS?)

1. R Iiro Pakarinen, suspect he will push for a spot next fall. RFA
  2. R Zack Kassian, probably part of the future in a top 9F role. RFA.
  3. D Jordan Oesterle. Suspect he signs. RFA.
  4. D Adam Clendening. Foot speed will cost him. RFA.
  5. D David Musil. Three straight solid seasons in the AHL. RFA.
  6. R Adam Cracknell. I have no idea if he will be back. UFA.
  7. R Rob Klinkhammer. No feeling either way. UFA.
  8. D Adam Pardy. He played well, doubt there is room. UFA.
  9. D Eric Gryba, UFA. A chance he signs. UFA.
  10. D Nikita Nikitin, UFA. Ufa alright.
  11. D Brad Hunt. Skills are duplicated elsewhere. UFA.
  12. L Josh Winquist. Best offensive prospect in the AHL currently—but does not have an NHL deal.
  13. R Josh Currie At 23, he forced his way into the lineup and played very well. Can also play center.
  14. C Marco Roy. Began slowly, but fought his way up the depth chart and emerged as a solid option.
  15. R Tyler Pitlick. Young veteran is RFA again. If he could only stay healthy.
  16. G Niklas Lundstrom. Signed with Bjorkloven for next year.
  17. L Kale Kessy. Rugged winger, skills duplicated on roster. RFA.
  18. R Andrew Miller. He may have traded himself. No chance he returns imo. UFA.
  19. L Ryan Hamilton. May receive another deal from the Oilers.

Today’s signing could impact any of the RFAs, defense and forwards. Edmonton has a very nice addition to the Condors, who might surprise in training camp. Assuming more would imply we see more than we could possibly know at this point in time. We wait.

39 Responses to "DRAKE CAGGIULA CHOO-CHOO-CHOOSES OILERS"

1. LOObird says:

Awesome. We need more of these signings.

Where did Caggiula rank among the top college free agents this year?

Also how the hell do you pronounce his name? Haha.

Bob Stauffer: On top of Drake Caggiula don’t be surprised if the Oilers land another NCAA forward shortly to bolster their organizational depth..

Frank Seravalli ‏@frank_seravalli 43m43 minutes ago

Interesting: Belief is Caggiula was down on EDM at some point during the process. But he loved his visit and was wowed by the new arena.
    45 retweets 58 likes

4. Jethro Tull says:

Little Boots!

5. Jethro Tull says:

Frank Seravalli ‏@frank_seravalli 43m43 minutes ago

45 retweets 58 likes

Was there a phone call from Gretz?

6. Water Fire says:

Great news. In the past they never would have used him because he’s small but Chia is used to small gritty guys.

I’m watching the Canada game and Hall remains a sloppy undisciplined player. I hope he takes it to the next level next year. Time to play like a veteran at nearly 400 games. Not an attack, simply truth.

7. rope-a-dope says:

YES! Oil needed bolstering of the young forward ranks. This is a great start to the off-season. Some saying he was the most prized college guy available.

8. Shizuka says:

He should hopefully slot in on the 3rd line if/when he gets the call, but being mindful of LT’s caution on the signing, maybe he’ll be a firestarter in BAK first and force them to bring him up.

9. oilspillcali says:

So thats the end of Yak huh? Damn i really loved him. It was frustrating seeing him be misused over and over, but he needs a new home. I honestly hope he scores 30 next year! But Caggiula was drawn in by the New Arena/ McDavid effect hope we can get Oksanen as well!

10. fifthcartel says:

Stauffer’s latest tweet about Edm signing another NCAA forward makes me think it’s Ahti Oksanen. 6’3 LW/D (so cool they should sign him just because of this) who would be an interesting addition. Had some nice seasons at Boston U (Chiarelli must have seen him) and I’d be super curious if he ever got moved back to defense at the pro level.

11. Shizuka says:

If it’s Oksanen, LT had a good writeup last year about the kid:

12. Centre of attention says:

Frank Seravalli ‏@frank_seravalli 43m43 minutes ago

45 retweets 58 likes

13. Quinlan says:

I know we’ve been concerned about PC’s “bigger” comments but I take this to mean that “better” is also a requirement.

Get good players, keep good players.

Hoping Caggiula turns out to be a good, NHL player. Not necessarily turnkey, but he’ll be 22 years old by training camp. The future is now for him and he’s got a great opportunity. He has to make the most of it.

14. Pastor of Disaster says:

Nice! We got a Drake when guys named Drake couldn’t be hotter! We Started From the Bottom, now we’re… gaining organizational depth with big name University prospect signings?

[http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7357991/drake-views-debuts-851000-sold-first-week]

15. rope-a-dope says:

Centre of attention: Think the Schultz’d him and promised him an NHL look right away? Though I’m sure Vancouver was offering the same thing. I think potentially riding shot gun with 97 was the game breaker IMO.

One would think the Oil will be a good team again sooner than Van, likely a factor.

17. John Chambers says:

Yes but we’re dying to know: is he left-handed or right-handed?

18. John Chambers says:

Add Caggiula to the list of people who’ve come to Edmonton likely as a result of the McDavid effect:

Chiarelli, McLellan, and now Caggiula. Perhaps there are players who have been re-invigorated to stay (Hall) and who might not otherwise have been psyched to play in Edm (Maroon, maybe Sekara).

19. Oilspill says:

Interesting how possession is usually dictated by physicality especially during playoffs…oh ya we can’t even get there. With Kassian Maroon and Gryba I think we improved. I guess the shot biased stats crowd may disagree but usually they are more concerned with numbers more than the realistic tangibles.

Oilspill:

21. DRFNsuperstar says:

If this is Chia’s player type, I think I’m going to like the forwards he drafts this year. Who else is watching Bear tonight, I’m excited.

22. Water Fire says:

Lowetide: As long as big men can play, life is good. Edmonton traditionally employs big people without the hockey ability.

Spoken for truth.

Puck moving ability is key for all players. It’s what keeps the play alive.

I noticed Hamonic opts for his partner a lot, even when it puts him in a bad spot and he seems to have a better angle on a pass.

That being said he’s miles better than Fayne and Gryba. But certainly a pretty average at best top pairing.

I remain convinced skating and tempo are king. Watching the Clutterbuck Martin line wreak havoc and create chances, it is all about quickness, a physical game and being able to shoot. Pakarinen fits this type, and given better linemates especially a centre to set up some shots would make a nice 4th RW at worst.

Anyone know if Caggiula can shoot?

23. Ducey says:

Ka – jewal -ah!

Nice!
    Love that he has some offensive talent coupled with grit. He is going to be a popular player.

Also love that the Canucks thought they had him locked up. Fuck you Canucks!

24. kinger_OIL says:

– Caligula, I read a book written by Camus about him in University, the empire of Rome, or

– I Calugulia: thats who I thought about when I hear about him:

– OIL: ” So Drake, if you joined us, you’d be our #1 guy. We’ve got Conner as well. Don’t look up Shultz: he was our #1 guy before you from college: he picked us!: I know, crazy isn’t it!”

25. Richard S.S. says:

Lowetide is overworked, yet still does excellent work. As long as Drake can replace Jordan on Connor`s line, if needed, one less possible problem to worry about.

I will mention it in tomorrow mornings post, but I think this pick is a direct response to 2014 Oilers draft. Seriously.

27. Professor Q says:

Did we lose a horde of comments? Mine seems to be gone, as are others from this morning…

Professor Q:

29. Professor Q says:

Lowetide: Yes, apologies. I am having an ongoing battle with wordpress who update things and send my blog into the dumper. I am getting better at it, I think, we did not lose an entire day this time. But yes, comments gone and my post this morning is also gone so it will probably be up a little late (re-writing like a madman).

Outrageous! They should have some more consideration for blogs of your repute. 😉 😛

No worries good Sir, just expressing a modicum of concern is all.

Happy writing!

30. Lloyd B. says:

Lowetide: I think the Oilers could easily have looked him right in the eye and told him he would be the top prospect who had a chance to make the team this fall. If Edmonton trades No. 4, and I think they will, his competition is Slepyshev and Winquist who has no contract. If you believe Yakupov is leaving, and I do, then he has a shot at playing in the NHL at some point in 2016-17.

When you say trade No. 4 … is that the pick or the player ?

31. skidplate says:

Cut and paste LT and save frequently. Document saved in Word or some other such word processor and then cut and paste. Speaking from experience after tens of thousands of reports and many lost……….

32. Clay says:

Professor Q:

Something weird going for sure. The website was acting weird last night too. I think WordPress can’t handle LT’s awesomeness.

33. gogliano says:

If the Oilers were paying a pick in the 2016 draft for Caligula, where would it fall? About a second rounder?

In any event, after being disheartened by the Reinhart deal, I’m becoming more happy with Chia as the months go on. He’s building things in a deliberate and rational way.

34. Frank the dog says:

rope-a-dope:

Yeah. Just like the last prized college player we landed.

35. Магия 10 says:

Lloyd B.: When you say trade No. 4 … is that the pick or the player ?

I (mis) read that as Hall and inflicted a lame on the ledge joke on our patient host. Sorry all.

36. OF17 says:

gogliano:
    If the Oilers were paying a pick in the 2016 draft for Caligula, where would it fall?About a second rounder?

In any event, after being disheartened by the Reinhart deal, I’m becoming more happy with Chia as the months go on.He’s building things in a deliberate and rational way.

Yeah, I think a 2nd is about right. Very nice add.

37. Mr DeBakey says:

OF17: Also, it’s sad that a 2nd round quality guy is our de facto best forward prospect.

Its sad that the Oilers are always picking in the Top 10 and have so little NHL quality depth that all the young players who could be prospects are burning up ELC years to finish in the bottom third of the league again.

38. maxwell_mischief says:

I had never YoutTube searched Ziyat, and just based on the WJC video, I gather the OIlers may have a gem. Moving forward with a couple of canons from the back end (Paigin, Bear) I feel comfortable the Oilers in the coming years will get some production from the back end.
    Hate all this dialogue about getting Paigin over to NA as soon as possible. Give him a second. How about he steps in to a sheltered role in a couple years, with some experienced d-men, and he then plays well at good value contract when he is more fit to the task? Get him playing three years in the NHL on his ELC.

As for Caggiula
    Lowetide, this is probably that Pisani you’ve been looking for.
    Maybe he just keeps getting better- maturing into a marchand type? a Kunitz to play with Crosby? Who knows.. but he is certainly in the picture this year

Maroon – Mcdavid – Helm
    Hall – Draisaitl – Brouwer
    Pouliot – Caggiula – Kassian
    hendricks – lando/letestu – pak
    shuffle it any way, this looks more like a successful nhl roster (providing the exits, bring quality D back)…
    sekera-hamonic
    Klefbom-Barrie
    Nurse/Davidson/Oesterle/Gryba/reinhart (coupe of these guys likely to be gone)

ahl depth