ARRIVALS AND DEPARTURES

I sincerely believe Peter Chiarelli tried to keep the kids on the farm last season, but in many cases (specifially Leon Draisaitl and Darnell Nurse) it was impossible. Why? The performance of the NHLers (Andrew Miller, Griffin Reinhart, others) didn’t warrant keeping the youngsters in Bakersfield.

The addition of Drake Caggiula gives the organization another chance to get things right. The new man’s NHL equivalency (82gp, 22-22-44) tells us he has the potential to crash the NHL party soon—and he should push, being 22 in June—but projecting him into the lineup would be a mistake. He has played some center, but for our purposes we are going to discuss him as a winger—specifically LW, although one assumes he could play right side, too.

AHL PROSPECTS

The Oilers had several pleasant surprises among the callups last season. I thought Jujhar Khaira showed well—better than we might have expected based on the numbers since draft day—and there’s no reason the Oilers can’t be patient with a more offensive prospect like Caggiula.

Anton Slepyshev has some competition, but Caggiula has a range of skills and we might be looking at a player who could push Iiro Pakarinen and others in the fall. He is a winger, so getting on a skill line could be difficult, but in actual fact the man he could be replacing is Nail Yakupov.

OILERS CURRENT LW DEPTH CHART

1. L Taylor Hall, impact NHL player.
  2. L Benoit Pouliot, underrated by many. Trade rumors.
  3. L Patrick Maroon, big winger has been exceptional since arrival.
  4. L Lauri Korpikoski, Oilers should try to offload him this summer.
  5. L Matt Hendricks, checking NHL W.
  6. L Drake Caggiula. A nice addition, let’s not go crazy on projecting him.
  7. L Jere Sallinen, Newly signed, you can never have too many Finns.
  8. L Mitch Moroz, AHL winger/enforcer, matriculating.
  9. L Braden Christoffer, rugged winger, matriculating.

This is without addressing possible in-house additions like Josh Winquist, Kale Kessy and Iiro Pakarinen (all without contracts). I will guess Edmonton signs Pakarinen and does a buyout or trade on Lauri Korpikoski. Looking at the depth chart, I think it is safe to say Caggiula will have a feature role in Bakersfield—if all things remain as they are this morning. And that will not happen.

POO

Among the very best things Craig MacTavish accomplished in his short time as GM was the signing of big winger Benoit Pouliot. He is a solid possession player, effective shotgun rider for Connor McDavid and a brilliant outlet killer (plays get derailed often via a deft stick from Poo). I think he is a candidate for leaving town. A smart NHL team is going to see his line and jump at the opportunity. This is his player card for last season:

• 5×5 points per 60: 2.05 (4th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 3.75 (6th among regular forwards)
  • Corsi for % 5×5: 51.0
  • Qual Comp: 6th toughest among regular forwards (2nd line opp)
  • Qual Team: 5th best teammates among regular forwards (2nd line linemates)
  • Corsi Rel: 7.9
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 109/12.8%
  • Boxcars: 55GP, 14-22-36

We talk about trading value, well this is what it looks like. Benoit Pouliot is a better player than all the LWs but Taylor Hall, and I think the signing of Caggiula starts the clock on an eventual trade. The question becomes when will that happen? Possibly this summer, I imagine.

CHIARELLI ASSET LIST

1. No. 4 overall selection
  2. Benoit Pouliot
  3. Jordan Eberle
  4. 2017 1st round selection
  5. Young LHD (Darnell Nurse, Brandon Davidson, Griffin Reinhart)
  6. Nail Yakupov
  7. Cap space (Edmonton might be able to get a player like Bozak on the cheap because of it)

I had Pouliot on this list previously (here) at No. 5, but have moved him up to No. 2. He has real value—little doubt in my mind he could fetch a legit NHL defender—and the free-agent move with Caggiula may partly address that area.

CHIARELLI SUMMER LIST

1. Top-pairing D to partner with Klefbom (think Travis Hamonic/Jason Demers)
  2. Second-pairing RHD to partner with Sekera (think Tyson Barrie/Sami Vatanen)
  3. Acquire RHC with some skill (Small group available. Tommy Wingels? Tyler Bozak?)
  4. Offload unwanted contract (Lauri Korpikoski)
  5. Backup goalie (Jhonas Enroth)
  6. Find value contracts (Davidson, Maroon, possibly Caggiula)
  7. Re-stock the system partly through college and CHL signings (big summer)
  8. Build up the system (especially forwards) via draft (big summer)

I think Caggiula could end up being one of those value contracts Edmonton needs so badly. If he finds his way onto one of the skill lines, this young man could be very helpful and a real cap buster.

CONNECTIONS

Drake Caggiula has all kinds of connections to the Oilers. Bob McKenzie mentioned last night on twitter that the youngster might have been a member of the Erie Otters if not for the UND decision. That would have made him Alex DeBrincat and we should watch closely in TC to see if there is some chem between Caggiula and 97. Those two with Eberle seems unlikely, but perhaps with Maroon or (preferably) Benoit Pouliot playing portside it could work.

Dillon Simpson was a teammate to Caggiula in UND for a couple of years (Bob Stauffer pointed this out on twitter last night) and that may have contributed to the final decision.

THE 2014 DRAFT

I think the aggression shown by Peter Chiarelli in college free agency this spring is a direct result of the silly 2014 draft—where the Oilers apparently felt they had too many actual prospects and decided to draft some distant bells to relieve the stress of all those prospects in the system. The mind boggles.

FINAL THOUGHTS

I would love to tell you this morning about structure and balance and real depth. I would love to guarantee you a Jeff Petry timeline (he turned pro just before turning 23 and spent 41 games in the AHL before getting the call) and that may happen.

The Oilers under Chiarelli tried to do it last fall with Darnell Nurse and Leon Draisaitl, but the poor major league depth chart dashed those attempts. If the Oilers keep Hall, Pouliot and Maroon on left wing, and have three reasonably skilled RWs opening night, then Caggiula will have a chance to get his feet on the ground in Bakersfield. That one thing will probably increase his chances of NHL success a great deal, and is a very important piece of the puzzle.

I would be lying to you if I said it was a lock to happen, or even likely. As much as I think Peter Chiarelli will eventually get this team on the highway and at some point take it to the limit, this scenario probably plays out for the next Caggiula, or the one after that Caggiula.

I fully expect a fantastic training camp, cashing McDavid passes, energy galore, and the beginning of a long love affair with a fairly ideal player for this market. The Edmonton Oilers, since 2006, have not been much for delayed gratification. I suspect they are not patient again this fall.

86 Responses to "ARRIVALS AND DEPARTURES"

1. Todd Macallan says:

Very encouraged by the Drizzy signing, and not just because it occurred at the expense of the Canucks (spits).

I see several comments predicting future disappointment while likening this to the Jultz signing, but it’s important to remember that projecting a player into a bottom 6 energy role with a chance of occasionally contributing some offence a little higher in the order is vastly different than a #1 dman prediction. I find it hard to believe that this young man will eventually have his name turned into a verb for ghastly on-ice brain farts.

2. Jethro Tull says:

LT may have found his Pisani…..That’s a lot of pressure for the kid.

3. smellyglove says:

LT, I’m thinking Pouliot has more value to the Oilers (in being a veteran two-way player with size) than he does in trade value (contract), so I’m not too keen on getting rid of him.

Are you moving him because of the perceived return or in part because of contract reasons?

4. John Chambers says:

Nice write-up, LT.

I’d like to be optimistic about the Oilers giving Caligula a half-season in Triple-A pro hockey before playing in the show, but Slepyshev making the team out of camp last year indicates anything can happen.

On Pouliot
    A combination on Pouliot and draft picks could bet you a nice return. If Chiarelli is able to convert a 35-45 pt winger at $4M to a player with greater size and similar offence for $1.5M, all while avoiding trading one of the younger players to fix other holes on the roster, I’d consider that excellent management.

5. kinger_OIL says:

– Great post LT! Sorry about your troubles with the blog stuff: growing pains no doubt!

– LT says: ” there’s no reason the Oilers can’t be patient with a more offensive prospect like Caggiula”

– My post from last got deleted: I paraphrase: I get why so many here are dissapointed all the time.

– Calugulia is a great signing, kudos to management for getting him.

– He’s the #100 ranked prospect in the NCAA. Don’t pencil him in the NHL, based on his play with 2 1st-rounders on a dominant team:

‘Caggiula is a smaller forward, but plays with tremendous effort and grit. He makes life miserable for the opposition on the forecheck and plays a strong two-way game. He’s having a sensational senior season as a linemate of first round NHL picks Brock Boeser and Nick Schmaltz. It’s unlikely he is the same type of scorer at the next level, but would make an outstanding bottom six energy player.’

smellyglove:

I don’t want to move him, but Edmonton has Hall, Pouliot, Maroon and Hendricks for LW at this point. The smart play is to keep all of them and make Caggiula win a spot, but Edmonton hasn’t done that kind of thing for many years.

7. dustrock says:

I heard Caligula’s favorite player is Fernando Pisani and his favorite band is Blue Rodeo.

8. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Good morning. Hope this weekend brings better days for folks in Northern Alberta.

Pouliot is not a Chiarelli guy. Shame. I was vocal for signing him when he was with the Rangers and I remain an advocate for him despite the offensive zone penalties that he has occasionally committed throughout his career that receive such bad press.

It seems to me he is the type of player you want if you are to be a balanced Cup contender. I fear this team is turning into a top heavy team with no strong bottom 6. That didn’t work out too well for Pittsburgh beyond when Malkin went beast mode to win them their Cup.

This team is setting up to be overly reliant on the McDavid line to contend for my liking.

Keep Pouliot.

As for Korpikoski he was obtained by current management. What makes you think they’d consider a buyout so soon? People by nature are stubborn and don’t like to admit they are wrong (see MacT doubling down on Nikitin after year one when most of us knew he was wrong).

NYCOIL: I think they buy out Korpikoski because the coach will play him if they keep him. Seriously. He was one of two players this season who were demonstrably poor, and the other guy was a raw rookie.

10. Richard S.S. says:

By acquiring Drake Caggiula, Peter Chiarelli re-starts the long and continuing process of upgrading the Connor McDavid Oilers. Prior to this, was Chiarelli upgrading the Oilers or making this Connor’s Oilers? Was Griffn Reinhart his first try? Drake forechecks!

11. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

I would not be against it. I would just be surprised, that’s all.
    I hope he is the one to go, not Pouliot. Although if Pouliot is indeed traded for Vatanen I would at least be okay with that.

But I guess I just don’t yet believe in Maroon’s ability to repeat his performance from last year.

I don’t like the idea of having no insurance on the left side if that doesn’t work out.

Hall
    Pouliot
    Maroon
    Hendricks
    Caggiula
    Pakarinen

Only Hall and Pouliot are truly proven top 6 options. Maroon is a solid 3LW able to move up if needed. The rest are question marks (Hendricks more due to injury and wear and tear).

12. leadfarmer says:

Looking at our bottom 6 and AHL depth chart you don’t even need to promise time in the NHL. All you have to do is beat guys like Korpse, BeLander and guys that are declining like Hendricks with Very little prospect competition to fill those spots. I’m guessing he gets at least 10 games this year

13. DBO says:

Wonder if this is not the Pisani signing,, but the Brad Marchand signing. He may not have the goal scoring, but two way gritty player with speed with the potential for more if he played with McDavid. Does he allow you to shift a LW to RW and have 3 scoring lines with each line having a two way player? Or just have a solid younger 4th line in Caligula-Lander/Khaira-Pakarinen. That would a fun line, all with solid defensive chops and a bit of offence.

I am hoping Korpse and Letestu get moved or bought out. $4 million for those two is a cap killer.

One thing about Caggiula is that his skill set is somewhat unique in the system. Kassian does, Chase is an agitator, others have that in them, but the Oil could use another guy like that, especially one who can play with skill.

DBO:

Yeah, I don’t see him as a Pisani-type. Maybe he is, but we won’t know until we see him for a time.

16. Ducey says:

Caggiula will get some NHL time this year, but it will be as an injury replacement.

I think he can develop into and very good 3 rd liner along the lines of Cogliano. Sounds like the perfect guy to sick on Johnny Hockey.

Btw. This site continues to have technical problems.

17. Rondo says:

Is he a Brendan Gallagher type player?

Rondo: Is he a Brendan Gallaghertype player?

That is my understanding, yes. A Carl Hagelin type. Now, there is a wide range of course, but he is from that family.

19. bobinyvr says:

I also think it’s encouraging that Caggiula choose Edmonton over Vancouver and a chance to continue to play with his linemate in North Dakota … Brock Boeser, Vancouver’s 1st rd pick in 2015 (23 overall).

20. prairieschooner says:

“Canakhstan” stuns Swiss 3-2
    Dawes goals in shootout the difference
    He missed a penalty shot earlier in the game
    The headline,not mine, is because Dustin Boyd also plays for them, so does American, Brandon Bochenski
    Tomorrow Kazakhstan play Russia

21. Water Fire says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

Keep Pouliot.

Good Morning NYC

It seems many assume things are going go as they always have, but I don’t see why they would when a completely different man is in charge. I can’t see a way in which Chiarelli signs knowing MacLowe would be calling the shots or meddling.

Sure they are hanging around but Chiarelli would be used to that from the Bruins.

He hasn’t had enough time to put depth in so that too green players don’t have to take important roles, and has said as much.

The difficulty will be in finding value contracts, but they exist. He also has to avoid overpaying for playoff success, a lesson hopefully learned, and probably has to avoid very many ELC’s on the roster as the team gets established to avoid bonus issues.

So value veteran contracts. Doable especially once they start rolling and the hype machine gets turned on.

Playing with Capfriendly you can build pretty nice rosters that pay everybody and are deep.

22. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Water Fire,

Korpikoski and Letestu were brought in by Chia though.
    If he cuts bait after a year, great. He learns. But until he does I can’t just assume he is going to.

He cut Pouliot once before. Pouliot went to the Rangers and became a better player. He continued to be good on the Oilers.
    If he trades Pouliot again without a valuable piece coming back then he hasn’t learned.

Neither scenario has happened and I am reserving judgment until we see.

Jethro Tull:
    LT may have found his Pisani…..That’s a lot of pressure for the kid.

If Drake is Pisani, you will be waiting another two seasons. One hopes he arrives a lot faster than Pisani did.

24. fifthcartel says:

His scoring compares pretty well to Hagelin at a similar age too. Although its probably fair to ask how much he’s being zoomed by Boeser and Schmaltz whereas Hagelin didn’t seem to have the same quality of teammates.

He may have had some real nice line mates but the NHLe seems to have the NCHC as a tougher league than the one Michigan is, but I’m not sure how far back that goes.

Caggiula did have a nice season last year without Boeser as well so I think there is a legitimate prospect here and add in reports of excellent skating and this could be interesting.

If the Oilers get a Hagelin out of Caggiula then that is a win.

25. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Water Fire,

Otherwise I agree on your point about the possibility of veterans coming on the cheap to win. It’s been so long since we grabbed Samsonov and Peca and Spacek and Tarnstrom and of course Roli.

26. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Maybe on the puck pursuit aspect he may compare, but Hagelin has elite speed. Haven’t read that Caggiula is on that level skating wise. And he is more of a pest than Hagelin.

Marchand-lite?

By lite I mean very lite. Like 50% less calories at least. So 15-15 if he pans out.

27. Jethro Tull says:

godot10: Fernando Pisani spent 2.5 seasons in the AHL after 4 years at Providence. He made the NHL at 25. (Lander just turned 25…maybe he is Pisani?! )

If Drake is Pisani, you will be waiting another two seasons.One hopes he arrives a lot faster than Pisani did.

Nope. He’s a prospect. As LT said, it’s important we don’t overshoot in our expectations. He replaces one of the draft picks sent away for Chai or TMac.

28. Zack says:

Kid has some hands, definitely a fan of this signing.

29. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Zack,

And loves to celebrate. I could see how he might be a pest that gets under people’s skin. And I mean that in a good way. Gallagher or Marchand-lite may be good comparisons.

The one thing I want to see in the fall is the speed. He looks very fast, some reports on elite speed and if that is the case then he should get some looks on the top lines. Fascinating signing in that way, with the understanding we need to temper the excitement.

31. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

He seems like a great skater. Given his size that’s key. But I hadn’t read the term “elite” anywhere. If so, that’s high praise. By the way, Marchand is an excellent skater, too. To me Hagelin is in elite skating territory. Along with Cogliano. Guys who are going to be in the 95th percentile at the NHL level. To me that’s elite. But maybe I’m nitpicking.

I’m leaving aside the obvious elite skaters like McDavid because elite everything guys are a bit unfair to include.

Happy to have him in the fold. Hope he can win a job and contribute. He seems to have the temperament for it and a bulldog like “get after it” quality. Undrafted and hungry. Tapes his stick with the words “Leave no doubt.”

Congratulations to him on his pro career.

32. flyfish1168 says:

Just from watching some of the videos of Drake his level of compete is high. I see an Andrew Shaw type player. One that forecheck hard and willing to lay out some punishment. One that can paly up and down the line up.

33. kinger_OIL says:

– Again, he’s a good signing. He’s a prospect the #100 prospect in NCAA on one site. He’s not on a roster on a good team next year, unless he’s the 14 guy energy guy, max.

– Miller, he was a good signing. Has played in the NHL a bit. If you expect another Miller+ great. If you think he’s top-9: you are setting yourself up to be sad.

– Please no Calugulia on roster next year, based on a “really good training camp”

Miller is a forward with a solid all-around game. Has good hands and passing ability, but can also be physical. Diminutive, he is very elusive and hard to catch for defensemen.

Miller is a smallish forward who brings a big presence to the ice with his assertive playing style and outstanding hockey sense. He is tough to catch and when opponents do, pushing him off the puck is a whole new problem. He sees the ice well and has outstanding puck movement. Miller makes the most of his size and is physical, but smart and sees the ice well. Although he is not the big body that the Oilers are looking to add to their front end, he is a great all-around player who has put up points consistently in the AHL.

– Great signing. Miller too. Posters thought Miller was “NHL-ready”: crazy: they became sad:

An all-around game, rooted in his strong will to win and his ability to make the players around him better, is what he brings each and every night. Character is something built through tough situational battles and having to step up at key moments as a leader. Caggiula has the capacity to be that leader on and off the ice.

Re: Pouliot

There are only 63 NHL forwards who have 1.90pts/60 5v5 over the last 2 seasons combined (minimum 1000 5v5 minutes played)

Out of those 63 there are only 38 who have a RelCor of 2% or more.

They are:

Derick.Brassard
    Mark.Scheifele
    Kevin.Hayes
    Jamie.Benn
    Mike.Hoffman

35. Jethro Tull says:

Woodguy: Anyone who questions Pouliot’s value or think he’s overpaid really doesn’t know what drives winning in the NHL.

Oh….Oh….*bouncing up and down with my hand up* I know this one!

Is it moar bigger, gritensity and ‘knows what it takes to win’?

Seriously, Pou’s a fine, fine player. Didn’t we once anoint him an Actual NHL Player(TM)?

He essentially replaced Perron as our dirty Frenchman. I would say Perron was better at hiding his slashes and hooks than Pou, but Pou has a way of racking up points on the quiet.

36. Jordan says:

Here’s the play people.

1 – Balanced Forwards:

Hall – Leon – Free Agent on a reasonable deal because he’s coming into a sweet place. The next Purcell
    Pouliot – RNH – Eberle – Proven effecting outscroing line
    Maroon – CMD – Yak/Replacement – If Yak wants out, trade hi and find someone else. He won’t have a better spot in the world than this one though – let CMD carry him, and trade at the deadline.
    Hendricks – Letestu – Pak – I’m fine with replacing any of these guys if they are cheaper and as effective. But right now, they are the usual suspects.

DOnt care which line is 1/2/3 – they are all balanced and can all play in both ends.

The D as we knew was the area of concern, and there’s no question we need help on the right side.

Here’s the play:
    Sign Demers for money
    Trade #4 to Colorado for Barrie straight-up
    WHy does Colorado do this? They have an internal cap, and the # 4 has more value to them than Barrie does, who should have a ~4-5M cap hit. They’d rather have the cheaper contract, and fill Barrie’s spot with a Bargain bin UFA.
    This also allows us the flexibility of keeping our depth at forwards.
    Sign Reimer for the same deal he had last time to backup Talbot.

Run with the lineup I’ve built here. This spreadsheet can be copied and you can create your own in another tab in the workbook.

I thought it would be neat to see who had what thoughts, so I’m suggesting we all record our lineups here for posterity. – https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pBOubzFvm9s3CCCJCec2xowxhx2B5bMKU5s_aqqOWHo/edit?usp=sharing

Essentially, my thoughts are simple – stay the course, and build on what we have.

You don’t have to blow this up to make it to the playoffs – you need to build on the existing strengths and fill holes.

37. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Woodguy,

We aren’t questioning it. Chia moved him out of Boston. Since then Pouliot has become a good player. The question is, to steal from George W. “Is our Chia learning?”

38. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Jordan,
    Nice plan. Balance is good and I like what you are thinking up until the Barrie part.
    And if Colorado elects to take Barrie to arbitration?
    They don’t have to move him. They can bridge deal him for now.
    Also what scares me is that every plan has Demers coming here. What if he doesn’t? Last year Chia got Sekera and we were happy but can we count on getting the premiere free agent D available two summers in a row?

39. bendelson says:

My comment from last night disappeared… So I’ll repeat:

The correct comp. for Caggiula is Matt Read (if you ignore right shot vs left shot).
    Same size, same skill set, very similar path to pro. Good Ontario boys…

FYI – Read played 11 games in the AHL and followed it with a 47 point rookie season.

40. Ducey says:

Jordan:
    Here’s the play people.

1 – Balanced Forwards:

Hall – Leon – Free Agent on a reasonable deal because he’s coming into a sweet place.The next Purcell
    Pouliot – RNH – Eberle – Proven effecting outscroing line
    Maroon – CMD – Yak/Replacement – If Yak wants out, trade hi and find someone else.He won’t have a better spot in the world than this one though – let CMD carry him, and trade at the deadline.
    Hendricks – Letestu – Pak – I’m fine with replacing any of these guys if they are cheaper and as effective.But right now, they are the usual suspects.

Here’s the play:
    Sign Demers for money
    Trade #4 to Colorado for Barrie straight-up
    WHy does Colorado do this?They have an internal cap, and the # 4 has more value to them than Barrie does, who should have a ~4-5M cap hit.They’d rather have the cheaper contract, and fill Barrie’s spot with a Bargain bin UFA.
    This also allows us the flexibility of keeping our depth at forwards.
    Sign Reimer for the same deal he had last time to backup Talbot.

COL will trade Barrie for the #4 in about a millisecond. Thats a poor deal for the Oilers. PLD will be a stud in a few years. A big talented power forward. To trade him for a power play quarterback/ second pairing defenseman is a massive overpay.

Draft PLD. Sign two of Campbell Demers or Yandle. Trade Yak for a RH up and coming Dman that might be ready midseason.

Barrie is good. But he isnt 4th overall good.

41. Centre of attention says:

Peter is usually averse to signing smaller guys. If he does grab them, its because he sees something. With Cagguila its the speed and the hands. Combine that with his sand paper style and some punishing forchecking, and you have a small guy who fits into Chiarelli’s mold. Maybe shades of Marchand? [Smaller, agitating LW with hands]

Fascinating player, really. Love the signing. If Maroon doesn’t start the year like he ended the last one [he won’t] then I can see Cagguila getting a look early in the year. If he scores a bit I can see him sticking around.

If it was me, he would get at least 40 games in Bakersfield. Unfortunately I am not the Oilers GM. They probably trade Pouliot and he gets called up in November when Maroon falls off a bit.

My 2 cents.

42. Centre of attention says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    Centre of attention,

Exactly what I wrote above!

My bad, I didn’t refresh the page before posting, so your comment had not appeared yet.

Glad we can agree though!

43. Ducey says:

Looking at the UFAs there are a lot of good, even great wingers out there. Ladd, Lucic, Okposo, Brouwer,Vrbada, Hudler, Eriksson, Perron, Elias, Boedker, etc.

I think the play is to trade one of their wingers not named Hall for a D. Then offer one of these guys the chance to play with Connor.

44. stush18 says:

LT I don’t think drake not being kept on the farm this upcoming season is the same thing as Darnell and drai. He’s an older prospect, and doesn’t appear to have any glaring deficiencies. Drai needed consistency and better decision making and skating, while Darnell needed better decision making and to calm his game down.

45. Richard S.S. says:

Edmonton Oilers
    ✔ ‎‎@EdmontonOilers

The #Oilers have agreed to terms with @UNDmhockey forward Drake Caggiula on a two-year, entry-level contract

46. Acumen says:

Any situation where we triade Pouliot gives me the heebajeebs. I think with Hall, Poo, Maroon and Hendricks in the left we have everything covered perfectly. Not too much that it will mess up the books, not so little that we don’t have cover for injuries and the like. It’s the Goldilocks equation.

If we move out Yak (which I hate but have resigned myself to witht the way he’s speaking past tense to the media) and add a Brouwer on the right, it’s a similar situation with Eberle, Brouwer. Kassian, KorpPak over there. On both sides, you have your clear #1 option paired with a top C (Hall to Drai and Ebs to Mac), with 2 big guys who can play up or down in complementary roles, and then clear shutdown wingers on a Dzone 4th line.

Between Nuge, Yak and Reinhart, there should be enough ammunition to get a couple very good options at RHD, and free agency should take care of the hole at 3C.

We are so close to balance. Really, we are.

Also, Caggiula. Great signing, with expectations tempered. I hope he plays at least 60 games in the AHL this year, and they try him at C down there. In any case, you can’t take issue with found money!

47. Centre of attention says:

Ducey:

I definitely think they give a guy like Eriksson a look, Okposo is a Chiarelli player too but his contract scares me. He’s not a 6 million dollar player to me, and that’s probably what he’s going to get. Same goes for Lucic. All three players want term as well, which adds another layer of risk.

Brouwer could be an alright add if the term/money is reasonable, though I haven’t looked at his fancy stats. I would take Brouwer over Kassian and I’ll leave it at that.

48. OF17 says:

Ducey:

If Pouliot goes, I’d be down to replace him with a LHS. Anyone from the Lucic/Ladd/Boedker/Eriksson/etc. tree would be a nice replacement.

49. stush18 says:

Has there been any info on vesey and where he’s going to sign?

I keep hearing Toronto, which could be media

50. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

OF17: Problem is out of those guys only Vrbata, Brouwer, Okposo, and Perron are RH. If Eberle or Yak is going, replacing them with a RHS is somewhere between ideal and necessary. Vrbata is old, declining, and lost his fire, so I’m not sure he’d be a good call. Okposo is probably too expensive. Brouwer and Perron pique my interest though.

Eriksson is a RW. He plays his off-hand wing and he does it very well.

51. OF17 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Eriksson is a RW. He plays his off-hand wing and he does it very well.

52. Centre of attention says:

stush18:
    Has there been any info on vesey and where he’s going to sign?

I keep hearing Toronto, which could be media

53. DBO says:

OF17,

I expect Chia to make run at Brouwer. Been a fan for years. Size, two Way play and an okay center if needed (ala Hendricks) who could help McDavid take draws. He would be great on there with McDavid cause he can score, play physical and knows his own zone. 5 years for 4.5 May work. A lot yes, but fills a huge need on RW and adds everything we need up front.

54. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

OF17: He plays both, and yes he does it well. Still doesn’t help our RHS problem, which IMO is a big issue, especially on the PP.

Well he played RW all season except a bit of 3C late when there were injuries. Marchand is the 1LW. Eriksson played RW for Bergeron and Krejci the vast, vast majority of the time.

I guess my point is you mentioned your concern about right-handedness if Eberle and Yak are moved out. That’s true for Eberle, but Yak is a left shot playing his off wing as well.

So that concern wouldn’t apply with Eriksson. He would be a great acquisition, depending on the term and dollars.

55. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Centre of attention: His father apparently doesn’t have a say, even though he’s a scout for the Leafs now. I could see it being somewhere out east though. Philly makes sense.

56. JimmyV1965 says:

Hey guys. Just want to add a little caution about slotting in Drei as the 2C. He had a good run, but still needs to prove himself and get the proper kind of support afforded young prospects on winning teams. He should start the season on the wing or 3C. If we trade RNH we absolutely need a veteran who can step in as 2C, even if it’s temporary. We have to stop repeating history and playing guys above their paygrade, until we are 100% sure they are ready.

57. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Oksanen would be a great addition as well. Shore up the left side. And he has a great one-timer. Would help out by potentially giving the team two strong, left-handed PP slap shots (along with Davidson). I’m sure Chia got a good look at him at Boston University.

58. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

JimmyV1965,

While your sentiment to not hand players premium spots too soon is spot-on, if he plays with Hall he is playing with the best winger on the team. That’s giving him some proper support.

That said, I agree they shouldn’t trade Nuge. The best thing to come from this miserable decade is having McDavid-Nuge-Draisaitl as the centres on this team.

59. Water Fire says:

I think Leon is going to have to play wing until he matures a bit. I’d like to see him at 3C but with McDavid at 2C it won’t work. It will have to be a veteran centre to play toughs and Leon wouldn’t get TOI at 4C.

So there’s one of your top 6 RW.

I have no idea what Chiarelli is going to do up front. Can’t wait to see, I hope.

60. bendelson says:

So Gerry Fleming mentioned Matt Read as a good comp. for Laggiula, noting that Drake actually has more speed and skill… Very nice.

61. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Water Fire:

So there’s one of your top 6 RW.

Yes, that could be the plan for this coming year, but what do you do next year and beyond? I think Draisaitl’s peak effectiveness will come as 2C behind McDavid in the long run. So they still need a solution for beyond this year.

Now IF…and it’s a huge IF…Eberle can fetch Hamonic, then replacing Eberle with Eriksson would go a long way towards upgrading this team.

62. Hockey Buddha says:

Woodguy,

I think some of us around here have outsmarted ourselves and are blinded by Pouliot’s possession stats. I think Pouliot is effective, but at his age, 30-years-old come training camp, I would put him in the expendables column right beside Sly Stallone and Dolph Lundgren. I don’t see Pouliot as having exceptionally high value as some posters on here do. He’s certainly not on a value contract.

It’s pretty difficult to make a case that Pouliot is an absolute keeper on this team. Is he not the same player who bounced around between six NHL cities in seven years? Pouliot is making considerably more salary than Patrick Maroon, who is arguably more effective. In the last three seasons, Maroon has provided comparable offense to Pouliot; he’s two years younger, and Maroon brings a physical edge that is simply not in Pouliot’s game. Maroon was a great fit playing beside McDavid last season (14 points in 16 games).

On a team that needs to drastically improve its defense, the question is should we be employing a 30-year-old Pouliot at $4 M a season in our top six, when has never even scored 40 points in a season? Pouliot’s career high is 36 points! He’s 30! Apparently, some would hold on to him, but I’m not among them. I think that he’s making top dollar for what he brings, so I’d move him along. The Oilers have to move some players this summer. I’d rather move someone like Pouliot than Taylor Hall. Pouliot’s contract money could definitely be better spent bringing in a UFA defenseman. I’d rather take my chances on Maroon continuing to pan out and maybe Caggiula being a player. With statistical arguments people can continue to find reasons to justify it, but to me it really doesn’t make a whole lot of sense if you look at the big picture of the team.

63. Alpine says:

Kinda odd that Leon is more untouchable than Nuge, when the former’s best season to date roughly matches with Nuge’s average season. Other than being slightly taller, and quite a bit thicker, I don’t see what makes Leon the better player. He has one more ELC year, and the potential for a bridge deal in his favour.

RNH is a better defensive forward, plays harder and skates noticeably better than Leon. I like Leon a lot, but I think I still like Nuge more, and if you forced me to trade one I’d lean towards Drai. I keep both until I absolutely have to move one.

64. Alpine says:

65. flyfish1168 says:

Woodguy:
    Re: Pouliot

Out of those 63 there are only 38 who have a RelCor of 2% or more.

They are:

Derick.Brassard
    Mark.Scheifele
    Kevin.Hayes
    Jamie.Benn
    Mike.Hoffman

66. jonrmcleod says:

Alpine: Pullout should be available for trade, mainly because he has positive value and plays a position that we happen to have depth in. If he can get a top 4 D back on a decent contract, you obviously pull the trigger. Poo is good but he’s not so good that you can’t win a deal by moving him.

I’ve never been a fan of Pullout.

67. rickithebear says:

MacT ‘s best moves were win the Mcdavid lottery.
    PC got pick him.

Trade hemsky and Petry and arrange a trade with sather for Talbot using the assets acquired in those 2 trades.
    PC got to do the trade cause sather committed to the org that still had MacT in scouting and player development.

Drafting Draisatl.
    Getting a center with size.

Establishing a rep fof providing legit chances to smaller college free agents.
    Arcobello and Miller allowed PC to get Drake.

68. Centre of attention says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: I thought he was a very proud Bruin fan and from that area. Wouldn’t the Bruins be the front-runner?

The one thing Veseys dad was quoted as saying is that he would prefer if his son didn’t play in Boston because of the pressure of the home town crowd. Don’t know how much I believe that but they are indeed in the mix one would think.

69. LadiesloveSmid says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Need a right shot on the left half wall PP. Purcell gone and I imagine Eberle gone. Need a Brouwer, Vrbata, Stempniak, Okposo

70. Richard S.S. says:

The McDavid line missed 75 games last year. Benoit Pouliot is good size, mixes well with others, plays a good offensive and defensive game. I don’t think he’ll ever be fast enough to be on McDavid’s line. Jordan Eberle is the smallest on the line, noticeably smaller. He skates well, plays a very good offensive game, avoids gatherings and can’t spell defense. He’ll never defend well enough to stay on McDavid’s line. So right now Chiarelli’s also looking to upgrade the McDavid line on the wings.

71. LadiesloveSmid says:

rickithebear,

frame every narrative pro MacT!!

Nikitin-Fayne was elite in 2014/15, such good MacT pickups!

Richard S.S.:
    The McDavid line missed 75 games last year. Benoit Pouliot is good size, mixes well with others, plays a good offensive and defensive game.I don’t think he’ll ever be fast enough to be on McDavid’s line. Jordan Eberle is the smallest on the line, noticeably smaller.He skates well, plays a very good offensive game, avoids gatherings and can’t spell defense.He’ll never defend well enough to stay on McDavid’s line.So right now Chiarelli’s also looking to upgrade the McDavid line on the wings.

Pouliot is the roadrunner compared to Maroon. Maroon isn’t going to help in McDavid’s rush game. Pouliot will, because he is an above average speed and make and receive a pass at tempo. The sample sizes are still small, but it that is what the WOWY Corsi show.

Pouliot, in most matchups, is a better option for McDavid and Eberle.

If Puljujarvi is on RW, when then who is on left wing won’t matter so much.

73. elegiaccycle says:

To respond to some of the conversation about Draisaitl lately. It seems from TMac’s comments at season’s end Draisaitl is going to be either a 2RW using his backhand a lot or a 3C who will be shifted around a lot. I don’t see him being a 2C if Nuge is still around.

If Nuge is gone however, I think we are all going to be very sad…

(Dear Mr. Backes, I know you have no intention at all coming to Edmonton, but it sure would make a whole lot of us happy and even happier if you came at a reasonable price. Cheers.)

Caggiula is just making up for the Rieder blunder.
    Like Sekera was just making up for the Petry blunder.

The Oilers are still not adding. They just filling self-inflicted potholes so far.

Hockey Buddha,

You must have missed the part where he’s one of 3 Oilers (along with Hall and Eberle) in the top 60 in the NHL in even strength points/60.

He was 37th in the NHL last year.

Points.

Scoring.

76. rickithebear says:

Eberle is one of 8 Forwards that generates
    24G and 60 pts year to year.
    except
    this year 22G 22A in healthy 56 gm.

One of 5 in the league doing it PvP.
    he is an even forward PvP when he is healthy and not coached by eakins.

So I pretty much want:
    cumulative results for last 3 seasons.

1.A D top 40 in both Off and Defence
    Vlasic 1st comp
    Brodin bottom 1st comp
    Lindholm 1st comp
    Weber 1st comp
    Ellis 2nd comp
    Ekblad bottom 2nd comp
    Vatanen 3rd comp
    Parayko 3rd comp
    —————————

or

2. a d that is top 40 on the defensive side of game with above average offence.
    Suter 1st comp
    Braun 1st comp
    Larsson 1st comp
    Ekholm upr 2nd comp
    Spurgeon upr 2nd comp
    K. Miller 2nd comp
    Scandella 2nd comp
    ———————————
    Zidlicky 3rd comp
    Mcnabb bot 3rd comp

or

3. a top 40 off d that are above average on defensive side.
    Klefbom 1st comp
    Hedman Bot 1st comp
    Pietrangelo Bot 1st comp
    ——————————–
    Shattenkirk 3rd comp
    Demers 3rd comp
    Orlov bottom 3rd comp

Or

A Dman not in top 40 of either but above average in both.
    Chara upr 1st comp
    Stralman upr 2nd comp
    Doughty Upr 2nd comp
    Savard upr 2nd
    —————————
    Goulebeuf bot 3rd

If they are not on these lists I do not want trade assets to get them on our team.

My targets:
    Brodin in trade to pr 1st comp
    Lindholm in trade topr 1st comp
    Larsson in trade to pr 1st comp
    K. Miller UFA 2nd comp D
    Ekholm upr 2nd comp in trade.
    vatanen 3rd comp in trade. Try him in 2nd comp Pair with Davidson.
    Demers 3rd comp slot if $ are cheap.

77. Hockey Buddha says:

Woodguy,

That’s great and all, but to be honest it would mean more to me if he broke his career high of 36 points in a season, something he hasn’t managed to do about 8, or so, NHL seasons. Aren’t you the guy who always talks about sample size? Do NHL forwards often peak at 30? There are examples, sure, but it’s not the norm. I’m not trying to bash Pouliot–I like him. I’m just saying let’s be somewhat, remotely realistic about what this team’s needs are and where we have some excess in the line up. We seem to have a little bit of excess on the left wing. We also have depth at centre too, but I’d rather keep it. We have zero depth on the right wing, and Yakupov has already asked for a trade. Our defense needs help in a huge way. If we can put the money from Pouliot’s contract into a UFA defenseman or into a defenseman acquired in a trade, to me it makes considerable sense. I’m legitimately curious who would you suggest moving at forward–besides Yakupov–that makes more sense than the 30-year-old Pouliot? The team’s best player is 19 and the core of the roster is all 25 and under. I just don’t see anyone in the same category in terms of age and contract who looks more expendable than Poo.

Hockey Buddha:
    Woodguy,

That’s great and all, but to be honest it would mean more to me if he broke his career high of 36 points in a season, something he hasn’t managed to do about 8, or so, NHL seasons.Aren’t you the guy who always talks about sample size?Do NHL forwards often peak at 30?There are examples, sure, but it’s not the norm.I’m not trying to bash Pouliot–I like him.I’m just saying let’s be somewhat, remotely realistic about what this team’s needs are and where we have some excess in the line up.We seem to have a little bit of excess on the left wing.We also have depth at centre too, but I’d rather keep it.Wehave zero depth on the right wing, and Yakupov has already asked for a trade.Our defense needs help in a huge way.If we can put the money from Pouliot’s contract into a UFA defenseman or into a defenseman acquired in a trade, to me it makes considerable sense.I’m legitimately curious who would you suggest moving at forward–besides Yakupov–that makes more sense than the 30-year-old Pouliot?The team’s best player is 19 and the core of the roster is all 25 and under.I just don’t see anyone in the same category in terms of age and contract who looks more expendable than Poo.

Pouliot is the best option for McDavid’s LW. That is a very real item to consider.

79. AsiaOil says:

I like depth, we finally have it at LW, so why the hell screw it up and be 1 Taylor Hall injury away from being totally screwed. Po is big, can skate and pass, defensively passable and could survive a playoff series. His cap hit is no big deal this season. Get good players keep good players.

Found myself liking Demers more and Hamonic less as the playoffs go on – and at this point I don’t see much between them. Demers only costs money so he’s the way to go it money/term are agreeable. If Demers won’t sign then I’d do Eberle for Hamonic.

I’d keep Drai at 1RW and Kassian at 3RW and try real hard to get Eriksson for 2RW. If Puljujarvi falls in our lap then start him as 4RW with PP time and problem solved in a year or two. We’d be young but very big and skilled.

If we could swing a deal for 2RHD Ellis and 2RW Smith with Nashville – plus sign Demers as UFA – that would solve a lot of problems and give LT his Pisani (me too).

or

Yak + Fayne for Seversen + Clowe (LTIR) as a way to get rid of Fayne and expose contract dollars in the expansion draft (not sure if this makes sense at all – just throwing stuff against the wall).

80. Lynas1 says:

Lowetide: would love to tell you this morning about structure and balance and real depth. I would love to guarantee you a Jeff Petry timeline (he turned pro just before turning 23 and spent 41 games in the AHL before getting the call) and that may happen.

When I first heard the verbal on this guy, the name that came to mind was Marchand. *shudder*

81. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

That may or may not be so. But you don’t walk away from signing Eriksson if he’s available because he isn’t a right shot for the left half wall PP.

82. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

flyfish1168: Poo is one of the few players that has skill and play with some grit or truculence. My only beef is he takes to many untimely offensive zone penalties.

Which is what I warned everyone here about before the OIlers signed him. (I was a Rangers partial season ticket holder). That said, if he didn’t have warts he’d be making $6M and be a star.

We should be thankful he has some flaws so that he costs less and can be the 2LW here. In my mind he is not expendable in the least and the only way I make that trade is if I feel Dubois/Caggiula can eventually fill that spot and I am getting a very good RHD in return because that (a top 4 RHD) is an area of such dire need that I bit the bullet on a Pouliot+ for Vatanen+ trade.

83. bendelson says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

And you remain on point about Pouloit to this very day…

84. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

bendelson,

Thanks. I’m usually not on point about anything at all :p

85. Hockey Buddha says:

I consider the ten or eleven years age difference between McDavid and Pouliot to be a big factor as well, but I’ll extend an olive branch here. Our left wing depth is better with Pouliot than without him. The trouble is we sure don’t have a lot of extra forward depth, and we have to subtract from somewhere to improve our defense. Would you prefer to move a centre? I sure wouldn’t, and, for me, Maroon looked damn good with McDavid. They seemed almost made for each other as linemates. You can’t knock Maroon’s production with McDavid. It was solid. Will he sustain that crazy pace he was on for the duration of next season? Doubtful. Will Maroon be effective? Likely, but it’s a calculated risk like any other decision. Is Pouliot a better NHL player than Taylor Hall? To me that is the bigger question. Are you suggesting moving Hall and keeping Pouliot, or are you suggesting keeping Hall, Maroon, and Pouliot? Where then do you subtract?

Another reason I like Maroon–I’ve said this before–but I think having an immediate answer to any cheap shots against McDavid is important. He is a young player, and players will take liberties with great players. This is the NHL, and, sadly, it happens. Why did the Oilers play Semenko with Gretzky and Kurri? It wasn’t his tremendous hockey sense. People can argue that the league has changed, it’s not the 1980s, but if you’re watching the playoffs, you can see that it hasn’t changed all that much. Players still don’t show a lot of respect for each other. Having a hot-tempered, 230 lbs linemate with nice hands for McDavid works for me, particularly as he is getting established in the league. It’s a luxury having Maroon.

Really, the things with Pouliot that stand out the most for me are age, salary, and his point production history in the NHL. For all we know, Lowetide, Drake Caggiula could be the best option on McDavid’s wing next season. I’m not banking on it, and I don’t think the Oilers should, but it could be the case. He is an unknown, highly touted, commodity. I just think that Pouliot money could be put to better use on our defense. I’m going to leave it at that. I don’t think we’re going to change one another’s opinions. We’ll have to see how the summer rolls out. Maybe Taylor Hall will leave town. I’d sure hate to see it. Someone likely has to go to improve our defense.