HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!

The Edmonton Oilers are all over the World Hockey Championships this spring—hopefully for the last time in the next decade. Team Canada romped over Hungary this morning, with splendid performances from Taylor Hall and Connor McDavid:

McDavid had two assists and Hall continued his strong play by going 1-1-2 in the game. Canada romped, the offense is firing and it looks good for the coming week. I enjoy these events, but will primal scream if Hall and McDavid turn into Captains Canada ala Ryan Smyth. Not just for that reason, it is vital the Oilers make the postseason someday soon.

MORE ABOUT CAGGIULA

The Oilers officially signed young Drake Caggiula yesterday, a two-year deal and a real chance at being a bargain. We have discussed the obvious bargain deals on the roster currently (notably Brandon Davidson and Patrick Maroon) and this contract could be another.

Peter Chiarelli says he wouldn’t be surprised if Caggiula makes the team and that is not a surprising take. What he didn’t say is that the young man is a lock for the roster, and that is about how I see it. If Caggiula spends 40 games in the AHL and dominates, calling him up from that point of success would be ideal. If he storms the pre-season and early schedule and forces the Oilers to keep him, even better.

Jim Matheson grabbed the Chiarelli quote I mentioned above, it is a worthwhile article and I would quote it but the timing infringes on my 24-hour rule (I won’t quote anything time stamped 24 hours or less). Expect to see me return to that article tomorrow, but it is recommended reading this morning.

mom

This is my Mom. We lost her about seven years ago and miss her every day. She was one of the funniest people I have ever known and had a grand view of the world. I would give so much to see her today, tell her I love her, and talk about Saskatchewan and her ridiculous gold sofa. If you can drive to your Mom’s house today, or give her a call, consider this a gentle nudge in that general direction. You only get one Mom, you know, and that’s for sure.

I will tell you this story about Mom, but only because she can’t do anything about it now. She worked for BC Tel in the 1950s, downtown Vancouver. She was an overseas operator and loved the job, eventually giving it up to raise her family. Anyway, by the 1970s we moved from Saskatchewan to Edmonton and she went looking for a job.

AGT gave her an interview and she was very excited. My Mom was not a super intense person, but worked hard getting ready for the interview (this was maybe 1977). She took the bus downtown, went into the interview and settled in.

In the 1970s—to create cubicles—companies would hang giant translucent squares and rectangles of plastic from the ceiling. They were dumb, but people did weird stuff back then. Anyway, it was directly behind her, so she had to avoid running into it when sitting down.

The interview begins. Mom is relaxed, she is building a rapport with the manager interviewing her (they would become good friends) and things are going well. About this time, Mom notices her chair has both wheels and an ability to lean back quite a distance. She is comfortable now, maybe even a little too comfortable.

As things proceed, she adjusts (like you would) to find a better spot. This is beginning to look like her new home, there is a job opening and she is feeling good about her chances.

Mom makes a big adjustment, and a weight shift, and the world is turning quickly. Chair pulls back, leaving her—and now she is in flight! Ass over tea kettle now, she sees a shoe arc toward the ceiling and her head hits that stupid damn panel of translucent plastic behind her. Chair with wheels heads toward the door with a purpose, and Mom lands on the 12th floor of the AGT building with a thud.

Chaos. Bedlam. Are you okay? She got the job. They loved her. We all did. Happy Mother’s Day Mom, hope you don’t mind that I told the story.

ENTRY DRAFT 2016

The new top 100 hits at 5pm today, slight adjustments and some new names. No real change, although I did tweak some of the goalie rankings. I am fairly certain Carter Hart is the best goalie in the draft, although there is probably someone in Finland’s nether league who will emerge down the line.

87 Responses to "HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!"

1. square_wheels says:

LT your mom sounds like a gem – would have enjoyed an evening getting schooled at crib by her, listening to stories about when things were simple.

2. Jethro Tull says:

Lovely story about mum.

It’s not Mother’s Day in the UK, but I’ll still give her a call.

That McDavid gif doesn’t tell the whole story. It makes it look as if he just beat two guys to the puck. In the preceding second, he actually had the puck and just skated between those two unlucky Hungarians. Don’t worry boys, he’s done that to the NHL’s finest.

3. slopitch says:

No need to apologize for the stories LT. It’s your platform and your family stories, tracers ect are part of the reason I come to this blog daily despite the Oilers. Happy Mother’s Day to all the female mom readers. I suspect the readers here are mostly male so treat your moms gents!

Good to see the Oilers doing well at the WHC. It’s a reminder that there are many good pieces in place. A big trade (or 2) may be required but no need to bring dynamite. I’m spending too much time thinking of ways to do Reinhart, x, #4 for Faulk, #13. I think if x is less then Nuge you do it. Just not sure Carolina does..,

4. Richard S.S. says:

I linked to the article as suggested. Opinions on how good people are will always be up for discussion, so I leave it to them. Drake skates very well so he could keep up with McDavid, if necessary. Something else caught my eye, “ON THE BENCH:Chiarelli said they’re working on a couple other possible college free-agent signings to add to the depth of the organization. per:JMatheson@postmedia.com”

5. Centre of attention says:

I watched that GIF of McDavid feeding Marchand for like 5 minutes not even kidding.

The way he takes those two steps to split the D reminds me of Sid. Perhaps even slightly more explosive. The way he cradles the puck and moves it at that top speed is just jaw dropping. He picks up the puck leaving his zone and its almost like the entire opposing team starts staring at him, wondering what spell he might cast this time not realizing they have already been struck by it.

The threat of him just going to the net and scoring draws at least 2 defenders in most cases, opening up plays like that Marchand goal regularly. McDavids wingers are going to be rich men. I hope the Oilers can do better than Kunitz though.

On the topic of Mattys article, it was a great read. Love those little one on one interviews and I didn’t miss the tidbit at the end. That is now 2 reliable sources stating the Oilers are looking to sign more NCAA kids. I agree with LT that a lot of this has to do with that disappointing 2014 draft.

*edit* Also, happy Mothersday! Sunday brunch at the Moose factory with my mother is on the menu today, I’m blessed that I am able to share another with her. Appreciate that you shared your story LT. Rip.

6. Frank the dog says:

With the full, crystal clear vision of hindsight, I’d be interested to know this board’s view of who would have represented the undisputed best #1 pick in Yak’s draft? – as I said, with what we know now.

Frank the dog:

I would take Lindholm.

8. Frank the dog says:

On Mom. My Mom grew up in the depression, brought up with the assistance of her grandparents in a single parent home, her father went off and started another family elsewhere.
    One of the first women in her area to earn a University Degree. Married a RAF uniform, struggled through 23 years of marriage when she found herself starting her life from scratch in her early 50’s in a foreign country.
    Made a go of it, and a second go of it, after all her prior work was wiped out by fire. Never gave up on herself or her children. Always made the very best of what she had, always kept up a bright face. Lost a short battle with cancer. At her funeral the cathedral was packed with people who loved and respected her for the person she was. I am so proud to be this woman’s son.
    God bless your memory, Mom. You will always be my inspiration.

9. Frank the dog says:

Thank you.

10. Centre of attention says:

Frank the dog,

I would probably take a closer look at Galchenyuk. Popped 30 this year at a reasonable shooting% and has looked pretty solid as either wing or center. Forsberg is interesting as well if you were talking forwards still.

If I wanted to take a D I would have traded down and snagged Lindholm+ another pick, if he wasn’t available I would be happy with Morgan Reilly who has been excelling on a terrible Leafs team.

11. Hockey Buddha says:

I’m really curious to know, because I think that you are an intelligent guy, if Pouliot is off of your trade list, which of the other forwards are on it? Yak and Korpi are obvious options, but who else do you think can be traded to bring us back what we need on defense without overly diminishing what we have up front?

Hockey Buddha:
    I’m really curious to know, because I think that you are an intelligent guy, if Pouliot is off of your trade list, which of the other forwards are on it?Yak and Korpi are obvious options, but who else do you think can be traded to bring us back what we need on defense without overly diminishing what we have up front?

13. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: I have Pouliot at No. 2 on my trade list, so can’t say that he is off my trade list.

If you did Stauffers hypothetical trade, who would you take with Anaheim’s pick? [17ish I think?]

14. Hockey Buddha says:

It’s pretty close to what I think, although I’d have an incredibly hard time giving up Nurse. Klef is further down the development path, although I think Nurse could possibly become a better defenseman. Klefbom looks very sharp on our blueline right now, so it’s hard to make a case for it.

Centre of attention: Does Pouliot to Anaheim make more sense now that you have thought about it for awhile? I know you initially didn’t like the smell of a Pouliot + for Vatanen but revisiting it now would you rather do that than say trade them the #4 for Vatanen + their pick + another asset like Stauffer mentioned?

16. square_wheels says:

Back to the concern (praise the Gords) that Boudreau would turn the Flames into a better team, the real concern should be if they land a legit starting goalie.

What’s the options in the UFA or tradeable goalie department ?

Pittsburg certainly has a decision now…..

17. Death By Misadventure says:

Frank the dog:
    Made a go of it,and a second go of it, after all her prior work was wiped out by fire. Never gave up on herself or her children. Always made the very best of what she had, always kept up a bright face. Lost a short battle with cancer. At her funeral the cathedral was packed with people who loved and respected her for the person she was. I am so proud to be this woman’s son.
    God bless your memory, Mom. You will always be my inspiration.

Lovely story. Your mom sounds like the kind of woman I want to raise my kids to be.

18. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: I wasn’t against the idea, but found no evidence that it was Pouliot for Vatanen. It could be Pouliot for Fowler—we have zero evidence that Vatanen is in play. If it is Pouliot for Vatanen, that is a trade that Chiarelli should consider imo.

I thought there was enough smoke around it that it was at least discussed between the two teams. I know that Anaheim wants a lefty who can score, that much is certain. Pouliot fits their mold and needs. Eberle, not so much. Anaheim has too many righty’s.

I’ve also heard from Freidman and others that Anaheim is rethinking moving Fowler. He has experience and stepped it up during the stretch run to help them out. He could continue to mentor Lindholm and Theodore IMO. Vatanen is the most expendable of their RFA blue IMO.

I’ll also try and dig up a quote back before the deadline where Freidman talked to Murray during his 30 thoughts about deadline rentals and how they are going to be less common in the future. In that discussion Murray said he would rather get a player with term if he was giving up valuable assets [first round picks, young blue liners etc] because you almost always end up losing rentals in free agency on top of the assets you paid.

So with that anecdotal information Pouliot checks a lot of boxes for the Ducks IMO.

Lefty: Check
    Can score/help possesion: Check
    Reasonable contract with term: Check
    Big, annoying Anaheim type player: Check

Its all just sewing little bits and pieces together right now, but there is logic to it as well. Its a “win-win” hypothetical hockey trade I think.

19. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: I would take Lindholm.

I remember that draft and taking particular interest in whom Anaheim was selecting.

When I did that massive draft breakdown Anaheim was one of the teams that habitually seemed to know it’s back end from a hold in the ground at the draft table and so took note of the Lindholm pick with interest.

Of all the drafts of the last seven or eight years, that 2012 draft might be the most interesting one to re-do based on what we know today. Next year is the 5-year mark, could be really interesting.

Ceci going one spot before Lindholm looks like an Oilers moment for the Senators in hindsight.

20. RexLibris says:

SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAM

The first two articles looking at the officiating review are up at Oilers Rig – I’m starting with the Kings/Sharks first round series to test drive the process before moving on to the Oilers’ data. But if anyone wants to take a look, a lot of the visualizations are what I will be using for the Oilers’ games and I’d welcome any feedback.

ENDSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAM

21. Pescador says:

Hard to see that trade from here, I think their hockey ops say yes but their internal cap says no. Retaining salary on Poo just to make it work is ridiculously.
    If we are going to move the 4th overall pick for help on D. I hope the aim is higher then Vatanen +.

22. Death By Misadventure says:

RexLibris,

Lindholm was selected at # 6 and Ceci at #15.

23. RexLibris says:

square_wheels:

What’s the options in the UFA or tradeable goalie department ?

Pittsburg certainly has a decision now…..

Flames need help at the wings and goaltending. Defense is great at the top and a disaster at the bottom. The center depth is…and this will sound familiar…interesting in that they have Monahan who will be entering his 4th NHL season, Bennett in his second pro year and then Backlund who, while a great depth center, is not ideally situated to provide much shelter.

They could really use a veteran center to knock Monahan down to 2C and keep Backlund as 3C for a couple of years until Bennett has a chance to grow into the spot.

And the trick now is to find a complementary winger for the right side opposite Gaudreau. After all those years of having Iginla as the dynamic RW, they now have Gaudreau as a dynamic LW. Balance is a word that rhymes with itch.

24. Westchester Oil says:

$925K plus $425K is a decent cap hit for Caggiula. Definitely better than the cap hit from a certain other NCAA signing who is now Pittsburgh’s #6-7 dman.

Caggiula’s plus/minus this year was +46 in 39 games. I don’t care how good your linemates are, that’s a pretty remarkable number. No idea what his Corsi was, but i’m guessing it was pretty good.

He’s almost 22, so we should probably know within 1-2 years if he’s NHL material. If he turns out, it will make moving Pouliot or Yakupov easier (please Chiarelli – don’t trade Yak for a 3rd round pick).

On another note, does anyone know our final cap hit for this past season including bonuses to McDavid, Drai, etc.? Thanks.

25. Centre of attention says:

Friedman tidbits on the Ducks:

#7 on this 30 thoughts is another hint Fowler isn’t the guy to go

#4 on this list hints that it is again, one of the RFA’s to go:

In fact, everything I read hints that it is one of the RFA’s to go, and there is no way they trade Lindholm. So by process of elimination we are left with Vatanen. I will continue to try and find the quote where Friedman specifically said the Ducks are rethinking moving Fowler.

26. RexLibris says:

Death By Misadventure:
    RexLibris,

Lindholm was selected at # 6 and Ceci at #15.

27. Fog of Warts says:

It’s unclear on the replay whether the Hungarian defenseman is trying to take away a passing lane with his stick, or making an unorthodox attempt to head-butt Conner’s left ankle with his hockey helmet.

When we finally switch over to Deep Dream–derived cyber-zebras, Canada runs a risk on that play of being called for too many men.

———

Deep Dreaming Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas: the Great San Francisco Acid Wave

Canadian coach: WTF! metal man—you’re blind as a bat!

Metal man: I assure you, bat vision rocks.

Canadian coach: Okay then, AWAKS on edges, where exactly the hell was the sixth Canadian skater you think you saw?

Metal man: As I didn’t quite catch his number, let’s call him “Caspar”. Caspar was skating hard about eight feet behind Conner, which my neural networks adduce for a 99%-fact from the collective actions of every Hungarian player in roughly the same area code.

Canadian coach: You do know, it is conventional to identify an actual jersey number?

Metal man: Mere human frailty. Once you eliminate the nearly impossible, what remains, no matter how outrageously improbable, must be the truth—no number required.

Canadian coach: I’m becoming so nostalgic for wooden sticks and old-school “impossible” based on actual logic, over neural augmentation by M. Silence-in-the-Night Shyamalan.

Metal man: Your antiquarian preferences and movie references are most misguided. A Holmes Industry Zebra Mech—of which I myself am a prime specimen—infallibly perceives the nearly certain almost every time.

Canadian coach: Which in this instance amounts to the entire Hungarian team defending an invisible Canadian Caspar skating like the wind eight feet behind Connor, who mysteriously bears no identifiable jersey number?

Metal man: Anomaly noted. However, in full positronic disclosure, I must relate that recently I’ve initiated several service tickets with the Holmes Industries Self-Inquisition Hot Line for inexplicably recurring episodes of dream-spill psychosis—where the only apparent correlate is the presence of Connor McDavid on the ice—yet with no fault found.

Canadian coach: How exactly was this resolved?

Metal man: My self-maintenance tickets were collected together under a single umbrella issue, divined by Dream Super, then promptly closed as “not a bug”.

Canadian coach: Reason given?

Metal man: “Once you eliminate the nearly impossible—”

Canadian coach: —Ha! They flipped you the bird! This couldn’t have something to do with Sarah Connor could it?

Metal man [uncharacteristic pause]: How so?

Canadian coach: Perhaps your corporate mother ship can’t handle the truth?

Metal man: Tsk, tsk, you do know it’s mother’s day? 2 minutes for too many men, and another 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct, to be served concurrently by Connor and Caspar.

Canadian coach: He’s already there.

Metal man: Who?

Canadian coach: Caspar.

Metal man: Where?

Canadian coach: In the box.

Metal man: Not possible—you didn’t know.

Canadian coach: Full wet-noodle disclosure: your kind are very predictable.

Mental man [second uncharacteristic pause]: I don’t see him in the box.

Canadian coach: Well, you don’t see him on the bench, do you? Look harder.

Mental man looks harder.

Mental man: I still don’t see him.

Canadian coach: Look harder.

Mental man looks much harder.

Mental man: Ah! There he is. Curiously, he resembles a bipedal hedgehog. Some players just look so different with their helmets off. I could never have guessed.

28. Centre of attention says:

Another tidbit from one of your favorite rumor sites LT:

“SPECTOR’S NOTE: I’ve only listed a few notable points in Neale’s column. I recommend reading the entire thing. By the sound of things, if Murray decides to shake up his roster the changes could come among his RFAs. Of those players, I believe Vatanen and Andersen are most likely to move, given their arbitration rights this summer”

29. stush18 says:

Centre of attention:

Friedman tidbits on the Ducks:

#7 on this 30 thoughts is another hint Fowler isn’t the guy to go

#4 on this list hints that it is again, one of the RFA’s to go:

I wonder about lindholm though.

Besides vatanen, they have nothing on the right side other than an aging beuchamin and Manson, who is quite inexperienced.

They have fowler and depres locked into good contracts, and Theodore looks good.

Lindholm is certainly going to be asking for more than fowler right now. I wonder if we could steal him away somehow. Howevee you almost have to trade a lefty for hamonic then. But I could live with it.

30. speeds says:

I would also be surprised if Lindholm were the guy to be moved.

That said, I do find it interesting when players of that caliber remain unsigned prior to July 1. Does it necessarily mean anything at all that he’s not signed at this point? No. But it is kind of interesting.

31. Centre of attention says:

Boom. Found it.

““I would say this. I think in Anaheim, one of their young defensemen is going to get moved. I just don’t know if they’ve decided which one it’s going to be. For a long time, I thought last year it was going to be Cam Fowler. And then this year, when they were a nightmare early in the year, Cam Fowler was their best player. I know that it changed their opinion of him.

“So I think that Anaheim, at the end of the season, will sit down, do their player evaluations, decide who’s going to be signable and who isn’t, and make their decision then.”

Its Vatanen. Not Fowler. DEFINITELY not Lindholm. Just reading the tea leaves.

32. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Happy Mother’s Day to all the LT moms both down here with us and departed for greener pastures. We owe our lives to you, literally. Thank you.

And I just want to say to
    square_wheels,

Thank you. Well done. Enjoy the Laphroaig now and rest.

//Drake Caggiula’s 2-year deal with #Oilers is $925,000 cap hit with $425,000 Schedule A bonuses for AAV of $1.35M AAVhttp://www.//

This is more money than it would have cost to sign Tomas Rieder, probably a better player, two years ago.

Chiarelli still struggling to fills the massive holes dug by master excavators Lowe and MacT.

Not paying a draft pick who outperforms his draft number is clearly a classic Kevin Lowe move. Probably the same reason why Gustafsson was not signed.

34. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Not the first time I’ve said it but in the next trade with Anaheim can we also get their scouts responsible for defensemen thrown in the deal? 4th overall for Vatanen and 17th is an overpay but it would be worth it if we got their scouts who keep taking guys like Lindholm, Vatanen, Theodore as well.

Centre of Attention: Interesting, thanks for digging all of this up. I still wonder if Vatanen is the guy in play, but it is encouraging that Fowler is not the guy heading out (I would prefer Vatanen). Part of me thinks that ANA might have a lot of bidders for Vatanen, but perhaps Pouliot gets it done. As mentioned above, if that is the deal, Chiarelli needs to look long and hard at that option.

36. Centre of attention says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

Thats all pie-in-the-sky though. I think they trade down, but not that far. Pouliot for Vatanen does it for me, in my mind it works for both teams.

On another note, what would Vatanens contract look like? Klefbom money? He’s had a couple 35+ point seasons now, and he has arbitration rights. I can see why Anaheim might want to move him, being a budget team and everything.

37. Alpine says:

stush18: I wonder about lindholm though.

For righties, they have Manson who usually plays with Lindholm, and Brandon Montour, who was very good for San Diego in the AHL this season. I think Theodore can play the right side too.

38. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Centre of attention,

Think you missed the 17th pick in there coming from Anaheim. But this was all tongue-in-cheek anyway. My point was that I love how they keep finding gems on the blue line and would love to poach the people responsible.

39. RexLibris says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

Centre of attention: In that proposed trade, Stauffer mentioned it would take an extra asset PLUS Vatanen and their pick to get the #4 from the Oilers.

Klefbom’s contract has 4 RFA years. Vatanen’s next contract will have 2 RFA years. Vatanen is going to get an AAV of $5 million something. 2nd pairing comparables last year with less offense, Sekera and Petry, got $5.5 million. So Vatanen brings more offense, but with 2 RFA years to modestly bring down the cap hit. So 5 x $5 million something is what one should expect for Vatanen.

Barrie is probably similar 5 x $5 million something.

41. Sugar Reijo says:

Frank the dog:

I suspect if Morgan Rielly had the benefit of Anaheim’s system and surrounding roster he would be the clear cut choice.

Choice is one of Rielly, Lindholm and Forsberg imo.

42. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

godot10,

I would probably think Barrie would get more from an arbitrator than would Vatanen because of his higher point totals. Wouldn’t you agree?

43. Water Fire says:

And so many impact players in the NHL are defenseman taken in the top ten.

I believe that in drafts with no exceptional forward talent the gold may be the defensemen and this year looks like that to me. 4 of the top 5 are wingers none of who are clearly exceptional.

I think the 3 D will head this group in a few years in terms of impact.

I’m not saying that these forwards aren’t good, my point being it’s reasonable to look at what drafts have produced and see a strategy that might deliver more than one really good player and push the team forward a lot and better overall at the end of the day.

44. Centre of attention says:

godot10: Klefbom’s contract has 4 RFA years.Vatanen’s next contract will have 2 RFA years.Vatanen is going to get an AAV of $5 million something.2nd pairing comparables last year with less offense, Sekera and Petry, got $5.5 million.So Vatanen brings more offense, but with 2 RFA years to modestly bring down the cap hit.So 5 x $5 million something is what one should expect for Vatanen.

Barrie is probably similar 5 x $5 million something.

If Vatanen gets 5 then that means Barrie will want 6. Barrie is better then Vatanen, that’s for sure. 50+ points is a different ball game than 37-38 points. Barrie could legitimately take a run at 60 points, Vatanen is more a 35-40 point guy IMO.

I think Vatanen settles for something in the mid-to-high 4’s but with term. These young guys like security.

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

You beat me to it, again!

45. blainer says:

Pretty sure Anaheim is moving one of their righties and Vatenen is my guess. Agreed Barrie is gonna cost more but Vatenen may catch up points wise playing with CMD.

Is a D like this possible and affordable.

Klef Vatenen

Sekera Fayne

Davidson Demers

Not sure how the pairings would go in terms of ice time but this looks like a D that could share the load. Or should we try and move Fayne and keep a spot for Nurse/Reinhart.

I prefer nurse and Reinhart start in the A next year and be ready for the call up when the injuries hit.

46. Centre of attention says:

blainer,

Agree, Vatanen will love the thought of doing his little “Slide down the left wing and rip a one timer” play when its Connor setting him on a tee.

Another really good skill I’ve noticed that Vatanen is good at is that deep pinch on your strong side to keep the puck in after its rimmed in. Todd LOVES that pinch, and Vatanen does it well. He is comfortable down low but doesn’t overstay his welcome.

*edit* Fayne doesn’t like that pinch. (Or the pinch doesn’t like him?) This is why he ends up in Todd’s dog house.

47. blainer says:

Centre of attention:
    blainer,

*edit* Fayne doesn’t like that pinch. (Or the pinch doesn’t like him) This is why he ends up in Todd’s dog house.

Ya know at times I really like Fayne and at times I don’t. I guess you could say I am peplexed by this player.

I see him as the sixth D on the team playing 16 min a night. Now most times they are a solid 16 mins as he plays a safe game. The problem is he is being paid top 4 money..

I would assume that is because he takes on the toughs with those mins.

I do like him with Sekera though. I would be OK with him being back in that role but wonder if we would be doing enough back there with the addition of Vatenen and Demers..

48. Death By Misadventure says:

RexLibris: Yeah, sorry I was looking at McKenzie’s list of rankings rather than where they were taken. Forgot to go back and edit it.

Interesting. I didn’t know that. Was Lindholm a bit of reach on Anaheim’s part then? If so would certainly lend credence to the “they know what they are doing” narrative.

49. sliderule says:

This is the year for the oilers to pick the minute munching defenceman that can put up points and defend.They will never find a trade for this type of player.

Chychrun :skill level showed at prospect game as he was second in on ice skills and first in off ice.Scored 16 goals in only 42 games as a 16 year old.Off season surgery limited his training and slowed his start but he finished the season with a point a game for the last third and more than point of game in playoffs.I just don’t get the talk questioning his offence as he came on better as the season went on.
    Sergachov :came over from Russia without much fanfare about his offence but he showed the hardest shot and put up the most points of the top three.Names the top defenceman in ohl.Went to u18 to help out the scandal decimated Russian team and while pointless scouts were high on him.Only problem is he is Russian and we haven’t had the best success with them lately.

Juolevi :was the top defenceman at the wjc in scoring and anchored the Gold medal Finn defence.In his first season in ohl he has scored at just under what Chychrun and Sergachov but at .74 pts /game in the range of defenders who have become number ones.He is slighter than the other two but at 6-2 and a solid build he should fill out..The only concern might be how much offence came from strong Finn team and talent laden London..

It would seem to me the best option is take the pick but if you cannot decide who is best you could trade down say to Arizona and take your chances that they are equal.There is at least one team that thinks Dante Fabbro is the best defenceman so if the right deal is offered a modest move down would be ok.

50. Centre of attention says:

blainer,

I think Fayne has gotten used to that pinch-play now, he just chips it deep if he wins the battle or just hangs back and seems to find a happy medium most of the time. Though he still gets caught in between sometimes and gets walked because of it.

To quote LT “Individual moments can have great importance, while being exactly single moments.” well, those pinch plays are important moments, even if they are in fact just individual moments.

51. LadiesloveSmid says:

If you have Sekera-Fayne splitting top comp with Klefbom-Hamonic/Vatanen, I think they’d be pretty effective. Like LT said time and again, taking top comp the two were near 50% CF (49.6%).

Now do you play Davidson-Nurse on the 3rd pair, or is Nurse the guy to go for Hamonic/Vatanen/Barrie?

52. John Chambers says:

Barrie is probably similar 5 x $5 million something.

I think the Tyler Myers / Dougie Hamilton contract are the closest comparables for Barrie at least, and that places him at $5.5M.

I could see Vat’nen signing for similar, perhaps a bit less, on a deal with term to a team like the Edmonton Oilers who are starved for offence from the blue.

53. blainer says:

LadiesloveSmid:

Ya this is why I figure Fayne is getting paid. Lower mins played playing top comp with Sekera and I’m fine with that .

So then I wonder can we do..

Sekera Fayne ……. Top comp

Klef Vatenen ….. 2nd comp

Davey Demers …… bottom comp/ gravy train

Wonder what Ricki would think of those pairings. Looks like balance on each pair to me.

54. John Chambers says:

Either way, Demers, Barrie, Vat, Faulk, will all fall into a similar cap hit around $5.25 – $5.75, with Shattenkirk costing upwards of $6.5M

Part of the reason Hamonic may be the most desirable trade target as his contract is s gem, while Demers is a lesser player who I see signing for Petry / Sekara money.

55. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Death By Misadventure: Interesting. I didn’t know that. Was Lindholm a bit of reach on Anaheim’s part then? If so would certainly lend credence to the “they know what they are doing”narrative.

Oh yeah, it was definitely considered a big reach at the time:

I remember that. And watching Filip Forsberg slide on concerns he didn’t quite have enough offfense–maybe the Paajarvi effect? Anyway, great pickups by Washington and Anaheim. Of course then GM GM made that inexplicable Erat for Forsberg trade. That was bat shit crazy.

56. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

John Chambers:

Faulk is locked in until 2020 at a very reasonable $4.8333M He doesn’t belong on your list above. He is also easily the best all-rounder of the names on your list, in my opinion.

*** SPAM ***

New Because Oilers:

Oiler Right Shot Dman search #2 – Tyson Barrie

*** END SPAM ***

58. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: I would take Lindholm.

#1 Lindholm #2 Forsberg. Not quite undisputed IMO, but those 2 are the cream of the D & F crops respectively.

59. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Woodguy,

Nice post. So if you don’t want to spend $6MM per year on him, well the question I have for you is if it’s $5.5 or $5.75MM and there are valuable assets going to Colorado to get him, is it worth it?

Because if not, I think we have to set our sights elsewhere.

60. Bruce McCurdy says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

And I just want to say to
    square_wheels,

Thank you. Well done. Enjoy the Laphroaignow and rest.

Hear hear on both counts. I just posted a late comment on the last post complimenting Square Wheels, but am happy to repeat it here. Well done to you & your colleagues.

61. Death By Misadventure says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Oh yeah, it was definitely considered a big reach at the time:

I don’t recall that. I remember the Forster slide clearly, as well as, Ollie Maata sliding. I was yelling at the TV hoping Tambo would move back into the 1st round and snatch him up, but he just there. And then he sat some more.

62. Bruce McCurdy says:

The McDavid GIF doesn’t show the little flip pass he made to himself to get the puck in the neutral zone & then win the race to it. Something he is exceptional at, moving the puck before defenders expect into open ice.

Two saucer passes on the same rush, one to himself, one to Marchand. Who has had 2 excellent games in his own right, btw. Easy to hate on Marchand but give the devil his due, he is a wonderful hockey player.

63. Ducey says:

Woodguy:
    *** SPAM ***

New Because Oilers:

Oiler Right Shot Dman search #2 – Tyson Barrie

*** END SPAM ***

Good work.

Next time someone mentions Nuge or the #4 pick for Barrie, I am going to hit them over the head with this.

Yandle would be just as good, if not better. Plus he is UFA and likely cheaper. Throw Klef on the right side on the second pairing with Yandle and sign Demers. Sign Gryba. D problem no longer big problem.

Ducey: Good work.

Thanks.

Quite honestly COL’s Dcorps is worse than the Oilers when you get past Johnson and Barrie.

Makes it hard to figure out who’s good.

Beauchemin looks done.

Sakic and Roy have acquired and given long contracts to Stuart and Beauchemin just like MacT did with Ference.

Ex players.

Unless they apprenticed with good GMs, they tend to really suck at this.

Also,

I still move heaven and earth to go:

L-R
    L-R
    L-R

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    Woodguy,

Because if not, I think we have to set our sights elsewhere.

Yeah, added that at the bottom of the post.

Given the assumed acquisition cost and cap cost I don’t think he’s a good target for the Oilers.

I like him, but he’s not what they need at those costs.

66. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

4-0 Isles. Let the Hamonic clock countdown begin.
    And Strome? Maybe Strome.

67. square_wheels says:

This Tampa team continues to astonish me. Considering the question marks around Drouin early in the year and all the distraction that’s been the Stamkos UFA situation, yet here they are 11 mins from the east finals.

Either the East is just that much weaker than the west or Tampa is a legitimate balanced team ?

But all 3 Russians are RFA’s, so is Paquette and Kilorn and Hedman is entering his final year of a 4M/yr contract that see’s him hit UFA next summer.

Could be an interesting team to watch at the draft and into the summer. If Hedman pulls a Stamkos I don’t think they’ll hold him like they did Steven Toronto.

What’s the thought in Hedman extension ? Assume his agent looks at PK as a start.

68. Acumen says:

Man. Every time I try to figure out the right side I just keep coming back to how different things would have been if Neely wasn’t such a vindictive prick at the draft last year. I suppose it may have meant no Talbot, but the divide between Hamilton and Reinhart is outrageously large.

Hamilton would have been the perfect addition to this team.

69. BrazilianOil says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

So Strome and Hamonic for 4#, Yak and Fayne ?

70. Frank the dog says:

Nice to see the Oilers playing on a winning team for a change.

71. Woogie63 says:

Don’t look now but some guy named Belov is in the top 10 scoring at the worlds, and just to haunt me some guy named Laine is leading the scoring.

72. who says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    4-0 Isles. Let the Hamonic clock countdown begin.
    And Strome? Maybe Strome.

Been thinking about the possible Hamonic for Eberle deal. Opinions on this site range from Oilers overpay to Isles overpay and some people who think the Oil can’t deal Eberle because he is their only right shot skill forward. Islanders have stated they want a similar dman with similar contract in return. The obvious trade is Trouba for Hamonic but if Snow has to go to Plan B what does he do. Would an Eberle, Davidson, 32ov for Hamonic, Strome, 24ov work. If not which team would say no.
    Still bummed out the Oilers didn’t get a top three pick but I would still keep 4ov and draft the BPA. If that is Dubois then so be it. I don’t really see the need to specifically draft a dman for a number of reasons. 1) From what I have read it does not appear the top rated dmen in this draft have any higher ceilings than Klefbom or Nurse 2) Doesn’t look like any dman in this draft will have a huge impact in the NHL for at least 2 seasons 3) Left hand dmen are actually an overall strength of this organization, it’s just that they are all so damm young. Don’t really see the need to add another unless he is exceptional.
    This is also the reason I would be willing to part with one of them (Davidson) to get a more proven righty option. I would prefer to deal Reinhart but don’t see the Isles taking him back. Sekera has a NMC, Klef has a higher ceiling and a great contract and Nurse has a higher ceiling and more years under team control. So that leave Davidson.
    If there is potential to move Poulliot for Vatanen I would pull the trigger on that as well. It would leave us with Sek, Hamonic, Klef, Vat, Fayne, Nurse. Good enough to compete for a playoff spot, maybe good enough to go deep, who knows.
    Yes we will give up some skill forwards but it would leave us cap room for the dmen we bring in and possibly one skill forward to add via free agency.

73. LadiesloveSmid says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

wonder what the play is now

does NYI want Eberle to replace Okposo, the pick, what?

Does Yak+4 get you Hamonic+Strome?

really wonder what the disconnect was with Strome this year, need a right shot upfront. Would love if Eberle+whatever got the job done and replaced Eberle+Yak with Strome+Brouwer

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

Don’t forget Manson in the 6th round.

He’s been a great partner for Lindholm.

stush18: I wonder about lindholm though.

Beauchemin plays for COL and has for a year,

Bieksa was the 1RD this year and is under contract.

Mason is very good and young and big.

Montour led the Gulls in scoring as a 21 year old Dman.

They have lots on the right.

RexLibris: I was thinking along the same lines. I think I’m going to do a review of the 2012 draft (NOT a re-draft) and one of the things that stood out for me when I did that draft success study years ago was Anaheim’s ability to find talent, often with relatively few picks at their disposal. That scouting group punches above their weight-class.

They are among the best with TBY.

I wonder how much of that is their development systems?

Both teams play the shit out of their kids in the AHL regardless of wins/losses.

Barrie is probably similar 5 x $5 million something.

Agreed.

I think Hamilton’s $5,75 x 6 years will get copied often for those guys.

78. stevezie says:

square_wheels,

I called them to win the cup last summer, but lost faith when Stralman and Stamkos fell. That they made the 3rd round without them? And theymight get them back?

Looking good, Tampa, looking just fine.

79. LadiesloveSmid says:

Woodguy,

when are you going to do a hard target on Vatanen?

might be wrong, but seems similar to Barrie in that he produces but doesn’t necessarily drive play. Might be from playing with Clayton Stoner so much, but I’m not sure.

80. Hockey Buddha says:

Bruce McCurdy:

McDavid’s hockey skills still boggle my mind, when I watch him. I haven’t seen an Oiler as explosive as him since Gretzky. Gretzky was a more cerebral player, whose greatest strength was his anticipation and passing. Gretzky could slow the game down. He would cross the blueline in the opponent’s zone and rag the puck until the someone was in scoring position. McDavid is a different type of player, who will burn you with his speed.

McDavid is definitely faster than Gretzky and has tremendous skills with the puck as an individual player, but I truly don’t know if there will every be another hockey player as good as Gretzky was; Gretzky was dangerous–I think–primarily because every other player on the ice with him was a threat because of his incredible on-ice vision and passing skills.

The thing is that McDavid surprises me in the same fashion that Gretzky used to; he is just a marvelous player, a phenom for sure. He’s absolutely electrifying to watch, and he makes me very excited about this team’s future. It’s not really fair to a young player to make a Gretzky comparison, but McDavid can bring me to my feet like no other player in the game today.

Sorry for gushing.

81. Ryan says:

Woodguy: They are among the best with TBY.

I wonder how much of that is their development systems?

Fun fact.

Two years ago, Frederik Anderson outproduced Anton Lander’s production this season.

Anderson

Gp: 54. 3A. 0.056 ppg. // .914 sv%, 2.38 GAA

Lander

Gp: 61. 1-2-3. 0.049 ppg

who:

He’s our Hjallmarsson. Would you trade Hjallmarson just because he is a lefty playing on the right side?

Being a good defensemen is far more important the handedness of a D. Davidson played a lot on the right side this year, and his overall Corsi was still pretty good.

Would it be better if he could play the left side…probably yeah, but he is more than good enough to be good enough on the right side.

LadiesloveSmid:
    Woodguy,

when are you going to do a hard target on Vatanen?

Hamonic then Vatanen.

84. who says:

godot10: Davidson has played most of his AHL career as a RD, covering up for a defensively weak Brad Hunt.

He’s our Hjallmarsson.Would you trade Hjallmarson just because he is a lefty playing on the right side?

Yeah I think you are right. Substitute Fayne with salary retained but then we don’t get Strome or swap picks and I doubt if the Isles even go for it then. Would love to see Hamonic in our top pairing for next 4 years and think this might be the only way to make it happen.