EVERYTHING YOU WERE WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT JERE SALLINEN (AND MORE!)

Peter Chiarelli and the Edmonton Oilers have given us a flurry of recent pro signings, and on a lazy (and cool) Sunday afternoon I looked at one of them: Jere Sallinen. Before we get to the player, I would like to touch on Edmonton’s recent pro signings from Europe. Scouts Frank Musil and Matti Virmanen (along with Alexander Naurov) appear to be the Euro scouts, with Virmanen listed on the pro side.

RECENT EURO SIGNINGS

If there was a dispersal draft of these players, each pick would be a tough choice—but not in the good way. I will say that Iiro Pakarinen looks like a solid get, and maybe that is a sign things are improving. MacT invtested heavily here, I count young Sallinen as the first Chiarelli decision (Laurikainen came during the period of transition).

ABOUT SALLINEN

I have asked around in regard to Sallinen since he was signed by Edmonton and have some information to pass along.

• Sallinen is 25.
  • It is a one-year entry level deal.
  • There is a youtube of him hitting a player and taking a penalty.
  • He is 6.01, 196 according to team website.
  • His NHLE from 2015-16 is 82, 10-15-25.
  • He played 14:54 a night during the regular season.
  • He took almost 300 faceoffs.
  • Someone familiar with him told me ”plays straight north/south, not much for hands, energetic, not afraid.” That does fit with Chiarelli’s mission statement.
  • 82 hits and 23 blocks in 50 games.

OILERS PRO DEPTH CHART (LW)

1. L Taylor Hall, impact NHL player, expert river pusher.
  2. L Benoit Pouliot, underrated by many. Trade rumors.
  3. L Patrick Maroon, big winger has been exceptional since arrival.
  4. L Lauri Korpikoski, Oilers should try to offload him this summer.
  5. L Matt Hendricks, checking NHL W.
  6. L Drake Caggiula. A nice addition, let’s not go crazy on projecting him.
  7. L Jere Sallinen, Newly signed, going to wheel back and have another look.
  8. L Mitch Moroz, AHL winger/enforcer, matriculating.
  9. L Braden Christoffer, rugged winger, matriculating.

I have Sallinen on the 2line in Bakersfield currently, but of course there are miles to go. Among the players who Edmonton could sign to push him down the depth chart? Internally, Josh Winquist, Luke Gazdic and Kale Kessy and of course there are all kinds of external options. Joey Benik is also a factor.

OILERS PRO DEPTH CHART (C)

1. C Connor McDavid, Giant.
  2. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, quality NHL center.
  3. C Leon Draisaitl, emerging NHL talent.
  4. C Mark Letestu, checking NHL C.
  5. C Anton Lander, they may find a buyer.
  6. C Jujhar Khaira, he is a good bet to make the roster in the fall.
  7. C Bogdan Yakimov, a chance he comes back. Has NHL tools, speed concern.
  8. C Jere Sallinen.
  9. C Kyle Platzer, AHL C matriculating.

He could be useful in a checking role (played third and fourth line for Jokerit according to reports) and maybe that will be his role in Bakersfield. Despite his NHLE and his scouting report being a match for Chiarelli teams, I think this is more of a Klinkhammer or Pitlick level replacement—and not an NHL option. The Oilers updated 50-man list is here.

SUMMARY

I think Jim Matheson had an interesting take at the time of the Sallinen signing:

• The Oilers’ signing of Finnish winger Jere Sallinen, Minnesota’s sixth-round pick in 2009, is a head-scratcher because he has no history of scoring and he’s 183 pounds, but the book on him is he competes hard. “I think he had back problems for a couple of years after Minnesota drafted him, which set him back,” said one long-time NHL amateur scout. Ex-Oiler Jesse Joensuu plays on the same Jokerit KHL team as Sallinen, who is the seventh highest-point producer among forwards there. Source

Iiro Pakarinen is a player I like, but the truth is most of the signings from across the pond have been porridge. That’s a fact. Sallinen was a checking line forward on a KHL team last season, so the opening of his Oilers story begins in a humble manner. Best to go into the season with those expectations.

70 Responses to "EVERYTHING YOU WERE WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT JERE SALLINEN (AND MORE!)"

1. Mr DeBakey says:

L Lauri Korpikoski, Oilers should try to offload him this summer.

How about to Carolina for Wisniewski?
    [Another great idea from Spitballin’ Central!]

Mr DeBakey:
    L Lauri Korpikoski, Oilers should try to offload him this summer.

How about to Carolina for Wisniewski?
    [Another great idea from Spitballin’ Central!]

3. spoiler says:

Lowetide: I tried to add Spitballin Central to my cable channels but they said I would have to give up Vision television and that means no Murder, She Wrote.

Lol… Could’ve swore you were more of an Andy Griffith/Matlock sorta folk.

4. Richard S.S. says:

It was 2007 – 2008 and I ordered the complete series of Murder, She Wrote from Amazon.ca. It came totally complete, as seen on TV including the movies, from Mainland China for $29.99. I heard about out-sourcing, but this was ridiculous.

spoiler: Lol… Could’ve swore you were more of an Andy Griffith/Matlock sorta folk.

Love that one, too. 🙂

6. Clay says:

I had completely forgotten that Gerber was an Oiler. Like, I feel like I’ve experienced lost time, X Files style, because I can’t recall him in an Oilers uniform.

7. OF17 says:

Richard S.S.:
    It was 2007 –2008 and I ordered the complete series of Murder, She Wrote from Amazon.ca.It came totally complete, as seen on TV including the movies, from Mainland China for $29.99.I heard about out-sourcing, but this was ridiculous.

Were there too many DVDs for one shipment?

Scanned the previous thread and didn’t see this:

@slavamalamud
    Russian coach Oleg Znarok calls Yakupov’s absence at the Worlds “addition by subtraction.” #Oilers

That’s not good.

9. OF17 says:

Clay:
    I had completely forgotten that Gerber was an Oiler.Like, I feel like I’ve experienced lost time, X Files style, because I can’t recall him in an Oilers uniform.

Twice in a row I read that as Garon. I guess the disease is contagious.

10. fifthcartel says:

I was excited when it was rumoured the Oilers wanted to sign Marcus Sorenson (34 points in 47 games in the SHL, 32 in 50 the year prior), but it feels like they only target low scoring, 4th-line types overseas.

Of course, the Sharks ended up signing Sorenson and after they signed Joonas Donskoi last year (put up 36 points for them this year, RH shot too), it’s not surprising they’re dipping into the European market again.

The Oilers need to take advantage of these cheap European free agents like Donskoi, especially if they want to run 2/3 high-priced centers.

11. Ryan says:

Woodguy:
    Scanned the previous thread and didn’t see this:

@slavamalamud

That’s not good.

How does this really matter?

Hurt his trade value? lol.

12. Gordies Elbow says:

Ryan,

Certainly adds to the theme of Yakupov having issues with coaches, in addition to the issues he has with centres.

I like Yakupov, and hope that he gets straightened out (here or elsewhere,) but it’s starting to look like he’s a very high maintenance player who’s not listening to those around him.

Hopefully this is a wakeup call for him.

13. blainer says:

Woodguy:
    Scanned the previous thread and didn’t see this:

@slavamalamud

That’s not good.

Woodguy:
    Scanned the previous thread and didn’t see this:

@slavamalamud

That’s not good.

I saw that earlier but decided for somebody else to post as I am not a Yak fan as most on here are aware..

I have felt the same way about him with the oil since forever but have tried to stay hopeful about this player.. Chia absolutely has to move Yak. I am confident it will happen but Yak is not making any easier on himself for making a trade happen.

He will most likely be dealt in a package as he has little to no value on his own.

This will be a major distraction for the team if he is not dealt IMO.

14. Richard S.S. says:

OF17,

There were three boxed sets and more episodes per side than I’ve ever seen before. Good sound and picture quality though.

The longer Bear goes unsigned one has to wonder if the Oilers are Rieder-ing him, offering a salary based on his draft position, rather than on his performance.

16. frjohnk says:

Woodguy:
    Scanned the previous thread and didn’t see this:

@slavamalamud

That’s not good.

“Addition by subtraction” was usually reserved on this blog for the trio NSF.

Two years ago I would have bet that the Eakins situation would have been the low point of his career.

I would have lost that bet.

Yak won’t return much and that’s gonna suck

17. BONE207 says:

Don’t forget Matlock.

18. Johnny skid says:

Woodguy:
    Scanned the previous thread and didn’t see this:

@slavamalamud

That’s not good.

isn’t oleg the same dude that said yak was to injured to play for his team?

19. BONVIE says:

Watching the Memorial cup and heard the name Greer and thought maybe Mike has a son already thats playing. Oilers sure could use a handful of that type of player Grier, Maltby, Marchant, Pisani, Mcammond,and Moreau none of them played many minutes higher than the third line, but what an impact the skating and work ethic brought to a game.

20. BONE207 says:

World Champs Again!!! Great game (suffocating like the Sochi Final) and glad that some key Oilers were involved. Nice for them to have a winning/championship mentality going into the summer.

CMD is truly a sublime talent. Little touches like an artist with a paint brush. Seemed to get more confident as the games went on and the winning goal was the cherry on top.
    Hall played less as the game drew to a close but was dangerous often in the other end and set up some great chances. Not strong on the boards in our end…then neither was that 99 guy.
    Talbot was great again and huge saves in every game but the first Finn game. The Stanley cup for those overseas.

Perry added to Triple Crown winners but I notice that there is never a mention of Canada Cup winners. Maybe it’s like lawn darts…too sharp for today’s youth.

21. MrEd says:

Woodguy,

Political?

22. Jethro Tull says:

Johnny skid: isn’t oleg the same dude that said yak was to injured to play for his team?

I think the Russian coach needs to stay classy. It’s starting to sound personal now. Maybe he should have seen who else was addition by subtraction before rolling the USA in the BRONZE medal game. Memo to Oleg: Play your best game of the tourney BEFORE you are eliminated from contention for gold.

23. MrEd says:

Hall is an excellent hockey player. Watching him today however I noticed that he is always watching the puck. Like ALWAYS. This is why i was surprised that he was on the ice so late in the game I guess.

24. Soup Fascist says:

BONE207,

Am I wrong or did one of the TSN guys tweet that Hall led Canadian forwards with like 19 minutes?

WHC website is crap, btw.

25. BONVIE says:

MrEd:
    Hall is an excellent hockey player.Watching him today however I noticed that he is always watching the puck.Like ALWAYS. This is why i was surprised that he was on the ice so late in the game I guess.

Hall is good down low, but that OReilly line was a pretty sweet defensive weapon to have, going down the stretch with the lead. It was the McDavid line that made me the most nervous, although they were solid as was that 4th line.

26. BONE207 says:

Soup Fascist,

Seems so according to the website. Must have played lots early on as the Shiefele/Stone/O’Reilly trio played a ton in the 3rd.

27. LadiesloveSmid says:

Woodguy:
    Scanned the previous thread and didn’t see this:

@slavamalamud

That’s not good.

It sounds like Znarok is not a highly regarded coach by many Russian hockey fans, at least from what I’m reading. I’d consider replacing Korpikoski with a replacement level player is addition by subtraction, I would never say that publicly if I were a coach. Pretty gutting thing to say about a 22 year old. I think Yak has the potential to be a fine middle six player in the right environment.

Soup Fascist:
    BONE207,

WHC website is crap, btw.

Yes. He played a ton, and played well.

29. BONE207 says:

Soup Fascist,

BTW…what does Soup Fascist mean anyway. You are dictatorial over your meals but allow for some freedom of what you add to it? In a German accent: You must have noodles but they can be elbow or sea shell. How about, Beef has to be in there but crackers can only be salt free. Limited by the imagination only I guess.

30. BONVIE says:

Jethro Tull: I think the Russian coach needs to stay classy.It’s starting to sound personal now.Maybe he should have seen who else was addition by subtraction before rolling the USA in the BRONZE medal game.Memo to Oleg:Play your best game of the tourney BEFORE you are eliminated from contention for gold.

The Russians lost to a very disciplined Finnish team who plays defense first and box out hockey. There is no shame in losing to a solid, undefeated at that time team clicking on all cylinders. They played great to grab the bronze that shows charactar to give it your all and be bounced out of the gold medal game and then come back to dominate the game after.

When it comes to Yak that is just the truth he has never played an NHL game, you cannot win with guys who don’t play a team game. At that high level its all about commitment to the team and playing the system.

31. leadfarmer says:

frjohnk,

Doubt there was much interest to begin with. Couldn’t see anyone giving up more than a second rounder for him, maybe a second and a mid round pick. I don’t think he would even return a player of value. Hope he can help some team and have a long career.

32. Ryan says:

BONE207:
    Soup Fascist,

Credit to the jets scouting staff.

Shiefele was way off board at the draft.

33. OF17 says:

MrEd:

I disagree. Hall was excellent on puck support all game, both O zone and D zone. If he didn’t have the puck himself, he positioned himself to give outlets to his teammates, especially down low in the O zone (which is admittedly where most of the game was played).

That’s Hall’s strength in the D zone, being a puck hound and giving his teammates options. If that’s what you mean by watching the puck, then yeah, I agree, I just think it’s a strength rather than a weakness.

Hall earned that shift in the last 2 minutes.

BONVIE,

O’Reilly-Scheifele was a great combination. Physical, responsible defensively, dangerous offensively. Wouldn’t be surprised to see that combo again on a full-strength Team Canada someday.

34. MrEd says:

BONVIE,

That shift that McDavid played with about 2 minutes to go… He made at least 3 elite defensive plays.

Ryan: Credit to the jets scouting staff.

Shiefele was way off board at the draft.

Yes. I was dialed in on Couturier, called them fools for passing on him.

36. MrEd says:

O’Reilly and Shiefele were really, really good today.

37. Soup Fascist says:

BONE207:
    Soup Fascist,

Big fan of Soup, Seinfeld and Yev Kassem. Not a fan of Adolf, obviously – therefore – the Soup Fascist.

Although it’s been said so often that it has become a bit of a cliche – the most efficient form soup governance is a benevolent souptatorship.

38. BONE207 says:

Soup Fascist,

Aha…learned something new. Never got into Seinfeld. I guess there’s no soup for me

39. kdunbar says:

Wasn’t Shiefele ranked ten or so by Bob McKenzie in his draft year? Remember him not being too much of a stretch.

40. Soup Fascist says:

BONE207:
    Soup Fascist,

41. Ryan says:

kdunbar:

I’d love to know the answer to this question.

All that I can recall at the time is that people here were mostly laughing at the Jets for this selection.

42. Gordies Elbow says:

Soup Fascist: If you do nothing else PLEASE watch the Soup Nazi episode. That one and “The Contest” should be in the Smithsonian. But I am pretty sure everyone has their favourites – even Jere Sillanen. Although, his probably was the one with Rava – the totally crazy but strangely hot Finnish writer.

The contest is the greatest thing on network television, ever.

“I’m out.”

43. Wolfie says:

Scheifele was a bit of a reach draft day. Nobody in Winnipeg was too happy about it. Especially with Couturier on the board.

Hard to forget that draft for Winnipegers. They unveiled the fact they were naming te franchise the Jets….

Winnipeg has been brilliant at the draft since coming back to the league. Tampa too for that matter.

And they get Laine this year!!!! They took Scheifele on the advice of “Ducky”. People kinda thought Mike Smith was the GM again!

My favorite is opposite George. I peed the first time I saw it.

kdunbar:

He was No. 12, Couturier No. 5

46. kdunbar says:

Ryan,

He was 12 and taken at 7. But I also remember Couturier was an early number 1 that year and fell.

47. kdunbar says:

Lowetide, you beat me to it.

48. Soup Fascist says:

My favorite is opposite George. I peed the first time I saw it.

Right up there. There were times when I thought Oilers Management should have utilized that strategy …. “If every natural instinct I have is wrong …..”

49. stush18 says:

kdunbar:

I think the verbal was that schiefle had the potential to be a number one scoring centre man, whereas couturier had questions about who was driving who.

50. kdunbar says:

At least the Shiefele pick was not a stretch like Jankowski.

51. Wolfie says:

Yeah but passing on Couturier who was consensus #1 at the start of the year was shocking. I remember he had mono and figured he hadn’t shown his best. Potential for a huge steal combine that with the marginal reach for Scheifele made for lots of hand wringing in Winnipeg….

Especially when Scheifele’s development has been bumpy at times. He has only really established himself this year. Whereas Couturier was a horse right out of the gate and snuffed out Crosby single handedly in the playoffs…

52. JimmyV1965 says:

My favourite was the library cop. Love Seinfeld. Love the Drake.

53. Wolfie says:

I have a few faves but Kenny Rogers Chicken was a gooder.

54. kinger_OIL says:

– I’m not sure what the delta is between picking Yak first and whatever he gets traded for but it is a devestating figure. By far it’s the biggest delta by the Oil since when we had to trade back Pronger.

– Hopefully this is the next turning point for the Oil. To explain what Delta is: Delta is the ratio comparing the change in the price of the underlying asset to the corresponding change in the price. So in English: we paid a lot for Yak the asset, and what we are going to get back is really really low.

– Maybe I’m dumb but I see all these pick-ups as a way to help that Delta: they are going all in here

55. Bruce McCurdy says:

Clay,

Gerber played the last three games of his NHL career with the Oilers in 2010-11, posting fabulous stats of 3-0-0, 1.30, .958. But he couldn’t beat out Nikolai Khabibulin (10-32-4, 3.40, .890) for the job as Devan Dubnyk’s veteran overstudy.

Real stats. Honestly, you can’t make this shit up.

Gerber not only won his first game as an Oiler, he assisted on the game-winning goal with 30 seconds left in regulation. I had the great pleasure of interviewing him about that and other things later that season when he was in OKC. He was an old goalie, kinda like me (only not quite so old, and much, much better) so that remains one of my favourite interviews. Interesting cat.

56. slopitch says:

Hall was great in the final. With McDavid I feel he’s always going to be good. But Hall playing as well as he did was awesome. Must have won the puck in open ice 15 times.

Reily/Eichel is gonna be a sick 1/2. They have Reinhart too. Hopefully Nuge can grow as a 2 way C.

McDavid had more jam then I realized. Talbot was great.

Tanev, Murray and Ellis were slick from the back end. Reily too. Puck movers who pinch/pressure at the right time are effective on big ice.

57. Yeti says:

kinger_OIL: – That is the basis for building a bad team: “Buy high, sell really really low:”

I wonder whether the ratio at play now is that between keeping Yak on the team and attempting to resuscitate some value or rehabilitate him versus the potential disruption to the team brought by his unsettled situation.

58. rickithebear says:

Schiefle got bryan littles spot.
    Playing between:
    Ladd #23 goals #41 points since 11-12
    Wheeler #27 goals #16 points since 11-12

Wonder what the production is before this year
    13-14 and 14-15
    145gm 28g 83p .193 Gpg. .573 ppg
    15-16
    71gm 29g 61p .408 gpg .859 ppg

59. Bruce McCurdy says:

Soup Fascist:
    BONE207,

WHC website is crap, btw.

Not sure about the TSN guys, but I wrote about it in my “Oilers at the Worlds” post at CoH. Hall led all Canadian forwards with 19:26 in the gold medal game.

I didn’t/don’t hate the IIHF website, have gotten used to it over the years.

60. Wolfie says:

Has he really been disruptive though? No 1st overall pick in memory has received such little rope and support.

Next to the definition of red headed step child is the picture of Nail Yakupov….

Having won Hall and Nuge and the good fortune of the Eberle pick… The Oilers were spoiled and have proceeded to ruin a very promising player.

61. Water Fire says:

Yak is an auteur, and it’s hard to make movies when you won’t play the studio game. Especially when you’re not a brilliant director.

62. Bruce McCurdy says:

MrEd:
    BONVIE,

That shift that McDavid played with about 2 minutes to go…He made at least 3 elite defensive plays.

Yeah I wrote about that too. McDavid singlehandedly disrupted FOUR CONSECUTIVE Finnish breakouts. I watched the shift about 4 or 5 times on video, it was absolutely mind-boggling. Basically killed the 59th minute.

63. BONE207 says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Well then Bruce, I’ll go read your article. Interested to read your take on the tourney. I liked what our boys did.

64. rickithebear says:

Ellis top 10 hsca d
    Matheson Top 40 hsca d
    Tanev top 50 hsca d
    Dumba top 90 hsca d

65. admiralmark says:

Chiarelli needs to hire Scott Luce Tommorow.

66. SwedishPoster says:

On the whole Yak vs Znarok thing. I tried to dig a little deeper. Clearly something went south between them, Znarok still holds on to the claim that Yak was injured, when asked about it he refers to the doctors. Very odd for any side to hold on to such a claim, Znarok has made it pretty clear that he doesn’t think Yak is much of a player so why keep using the injury excuse unless it’s about saving face after lying or just not wanting to explain why he cut him, which is odd since with Yak you can always use the defensive play and be over with it. And why should Yak lie about being healthy if he’s nursing an injury? Having a minor injury during off season won’t hurt his value, not being good enough or easy enough to work with to be on the russian squad would. Larionov made a statement in russian news that he’d comment on the issue after the WHCs, he didn’t want anything to disrupt the focus on the medal games. Should be interesting. It’s never boring with Yak that’s for sure.
    My two cents is that from watching the pre-tournament games Yak was one of the better russian forwards, worked hard both ways and created chances. I’ve seen others make similar remarks, so I don’t think it’s my bias speaking. With that in mind it’s pretty obvious it was about things other than hockey that had him cut. Question is what, Yak is clearly a different kind of guy, but from everything you get to see publicly he doesn’t come off as a bad egg. On the contrary he seems like a genuinly nice guy. He wears his feelings on the outside something that certainly gets him into trouble at times, bur as a coach you’ve got to be able to handle that. Znarok has been working with guys like Radulov and Kovalchuk the last few years, he should be able to handle some drama, ofc those two were also cut due to injuries… But if you can’t handle the player you just cut him and don’t make a big deal about it, what’s the deal with Yak that has Znarok making snarly comments, why make up stuff about injuries if that’s what’s going on? And if he’s injured why go after him when the WHCs are over. It’s not like he’s larger than life like Kovy and Radulov. I don’t get it. What is it that Yak does that has some coaches getting truly pissed off, while others claim he’s a great kid.

Seems like Znarok is pretty good at picking fights. He’ s also having a battle with former Ranger D, and one of the most entertaining players of all time, Sergei Zubov as well who’s now a coach for SKA and has been helping the national team with coaching D. Before the tournament Znarok said Zubov didn’t want to join Znaroks coaching staff because he didn’t want to work in a team. Zubov claims that is a flat out lie and that he’s never said such a thing.

67. Yeti says:

SwedishPoster,

I’m not sure it really matters where the murky truth of the matter is, although it certainly seems like Znarok can be an abrasive prick. I did wonder whether it’s Yak’s agent (who has his own robust style and has not been shy to voice his opinions) rather than Yak who is perhaps the target for some of this stuff? I do worry that he could be caught in the middle.

For the Oil, the negativity generated certainly doesn’t help in moving Yakupov. Now the choice is between keeping a player who has requested a trade and will inevitably be seen as peripheral and on the verge of leaving, versus trying to trade a player whose value has fallen so heavily. It’s not a good situation for anyone.

68. Richard S.S. says:

One comment before this one fades into another Lowetide site posting. Who played on the line with Hall and McDavid? Do the Oilers have that kind of guy on their Roster? If they do then the Oilers’ #1 line should be Hall , McDavid and that guy.

69. Wolfie says:

McDavid and Hall only played together occasionally. Duchene was the other winger. McDavid’s most common linemates were Marchand and Duchene.

Hall played mostly with Perry and Brassard.

I have a feeling Yak’s problems stem from his heritage…. Discrimination.

70. Soup Fascist says:

Bruce McCurdy,

I just don’t find the site to be very intuitive. But then again I may not be the most patient individual to grace the Internet ……

Back to Hall, I watched most of the game and thought he dictated a lot of the play but it did not feel like he was the most played forward. Says something for the guy, especially since he does not kill penalties. McDavid was pretty stellar. Guy uses his edges better than anyone in the game.